Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 4: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Monday, December second, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number seventy seven. Welcome the latest edition.
Speaker 2: All the Break.
Speaker 5: We are life from SWBC Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 2: At the Start.
Speaker 5: PRIs presented by LG. LG is the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot Com Forward slash O lead EVO.
Speaker 2: How's Everybody's Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Two words?
Speaker 6: Derek Hookham, There we go, baby.
Speaker 2: Go, Let's go.
Speaker 5: I haven't been that excited about a game since maybe two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: That was Nervers for you?
Speaker 2: Oh man, that was pretty nice.
Speaker 3: Id you like that block punt?
Speaker 2: There are so many moments in that game.
Speaker 3: You sweat those games more than Cowboy games, yes, not even close.
Speaker 2: And part of it is.
Speaker 5: Part of it is this for me is very It's it's very because I've worked in this profession. It feels like my motives are very different, like and it's and I've done it for so long now to where I just kind of like some of it.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit numb to.
Speaker 5: But but my my college man, I wear that on my sleep.
Speaker 6: I mean, even with the twelve team playoffs, the losses still still do mean a lot more than the losses in the NFL. So there's there's a lot more on the line weekend and week out, I feel like at least.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, as crazy how they decide to think it's twelve twelve teams.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a lot of good games in that playoff I'm looking for.
Speaker 6: So I went to Texas and North Texas, so I just kind of rep both. If they were to ever play each other, I know what would happen, but I'd show up in Green.
Speaker 2: So so that means you're in no Texas guy? Yeah, okay, yes, fair, as long as you don't say Texas Texas A and M.
Speaker 3: They don't know.
Speaker 7: I Like, I know, money goes to Texas, so I'm in Texas going now.
Speaker 5: It's tough how many days a week does Brian have L s U gear on three day three at least three week.
Speaker 3: I love l SU no doubt you should.
Speaker 2: You should.
Speaker 5: It's a great school and man, when you send your money there when you got and by the way, I tell people this all the time, college is where you have some of the greatest memories of your's if you do it right. If you do college right, you should have some of the greatest memories of your life outside of probably marriage and kids, you should have some of the greatest memories of your life in college.
Speaker 2: So of course you're going to root hard for him.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, to your point, though, Bennett, Bennett my son has been very fortunate. He's been two. He went went to Tuscaloosa, sawt Texas win, and he was on his way to Michigan. You know, he messed that up. He had it wired to go when he messed up the ticket deal, or he'd have been there and then to watch a game at Kyle Field for them to win there. Yeah, I mean he's on a little bit of a role with these the way Texas.
Speaker 2: Send him to the championship.
Speaker 3: He was going to get a hold of you. He was going to get a hold of you because he has a ticket, but he's got a final on Friday and one on Monday. And I think he was going to try and get a hold of you seeing if you wanted his ticket to Atlanta. It's it's the only one. It's only ticket. Now hard on a plane.
Speaker 5: See, my wife is also a Texan, and anytime I go, she's kind of like, well what about me?
Speaker 3: I want to go, But he's got a ticket, and but he can't. He's got a final on Friday and one on Monday. He said, no, I can't make it, So nobody said he goes. I sent him your contact information.
Speaker 5: I thought you were saying he was going to call me so that I could call some of his professors to see if I.
Speaker 2: Was going to say I wasn't that great a student. So I don't know how that's gonna work.
Speaker 3: He just he was thinking about somebody that really could use a ticket, that would really enjoy the game, and.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe Clarence Hillah, we know he always wants to night game.
Speaker 3: That's why you know you maybe could pull it off. Yeah, because it's some Monday night game next week exactly. You know, Southwest gets there.
Speaker 2: I know, some people tell him call me, he's got your number.
Speaker 6: That might be interested.
Speaker 5: But let's get to some Cowboys football. I actually had to. As I started doing my rundown for the show. I was having a hard time because I kept thinking, and I'm thinking of moments from that game, and I kept thinking of Texas moments because I had to kind of in my mind, they stopped thinking Texas. Let's think Cowboys. Let's start first. Where do you guys, what would you guys say is the story of this game? Going back to Thursday, Cowboys versus the Giants.
Speaker 6: To Marvin Overshown, he was a game wrecker, not only the pick six, but you know, flying to the ball, being as active as he was. There's other bright spots to look at. But when I look at the story of the game, it was a Marvin Overshown day. That's that's gonna be the game we look back on something that really served as a launch pad for his entire career. I think he's playing at a pro Bowl pace. In my opinion, I think this is a This is a guy who is more than deserving of that. If you look at the tackles he's accounting for, you look at the impact he makes not only in past rush but also in coverage. He does a lot of things. And so I'm a big overshown guy, and I think this was the overshown game.
Speaker 3: Zach Martin is highly overrated at right guard.
Speaker 5: Him.
Speaker 6: There's a conversation not that it's not I don't think it's should.
Speaker 3: Be the starting right guard.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 3: I will say this though, that this offensive line, they the Giants, we talked about it in the short time we got to visit about them, struggled to defend the run, and you know, and and Rico Dabble, they loaded up, got some some quality runs. The offensive line I thought did a really nice job, especially dealing with their defensive tackles with Lawrence and stuff like that. So you know, give give give brock Hoffman once again, give give Mike Solari and this group a lot of credit. You know, that's a difficult front that they're there. That's where the really the Giants their strength of their defense. So it's those down linemen, and they did a pretty good job holding up in protection wise and then being able to run the football. And Rico Daddle was was very very good in this football game. And so tip of the cap to the offensive line and brock Hoffman once again filling in and getting the job done.
Speaker 7: See, I I wanted a lot of times to get really excited, but then remember it is against the Giants, like it was with the Giants. But at the same time, you know, it's still a professional football team. So during the NFL for a reason too, despite how bad their season is going, they're still all athletes and it was very encouraging just to see some positive things that the offense was was doing. The Cowboys offense and you talk about a Rico Dallen, but in the running game, I know Derek has been asking and begging for them to run the ball, and we saw them being capable of doing that. When they do decide to commit to their run, they can get it moving. So positive things from the from the offense as far as just improvement in general and kind of seeing Cooper Rush become kind of the same quarterback that he was a couple of years When was that?
Speaker 3: What year was that? Two years ago?
Speaker 7: Two years ago? Uh, when Dak was hurt. But also the defense again winning and that energy is contagious and you're just gonna it's infectious and everybody is gonna bring their playing level up. You're looking at a team that is not looking to tank the whole tanking's theory and story. That was clear when you saw that the Cowboys play against the Giants on Thanksgiving. Nobody hears looking to tank the season. They're going out there playing and doing what they can do the best that they can do with what they currently have.
Speaker 6: The only tank going on is Tank Lawrence potentially coming back next Monday.
Speaker 3: By the way, I watched him, I was walking. I took a peek out the window as I was walking over here last week, and I saw him and Britt Brown going at it pretty good. And that was incouraging. No, No, that wascurging. He was exactly we all go after Britt that way, but yelling geez. But the thing about is he was he was. They were working hard, and you know, and that was encouraging to me. In my mind, I'm thinking, like, Okay, this is getting this getting serious over there, so you know, hopefully you can you can get that thing squared back up. That'd be very nice.
Speaker 6: I have an apology to make to Osa Digizua. You know, we were talking about it last week about guys who you know were on expiring contracts that should maybe be deserving to coming back next year. He played really well, and he played.
Speaker 2: Really thinking whether you would I spend that money?
Speaker 6: I am, I am, I am rethinking that, especially considering how much you are going to have to fill this offseason.
Speaker 3: Bring him back him? Okay, you can only afford one him or Lewis that should I save that for yesterday Tomorrow's Tuesdays.
Speaker 5: So that's a good conversation because I have an answered, But I think that's a good conversation.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know other opinions.
Speaker 3: And when just saw the pain in your face. By the way, there's like three teams I would love to be playing right now. Love to play the Saints, yeah, I love to play the Falcons. Love to play the forty nine Ers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, See that just shows that just shows you. Now, you're not great on offense right now, and that could be, but you're you're going the right way on defense. You're going the right way with your pressure packages, playing the run defense. You know, you get tanked back potentially. You know, if you could play the Saints, the Falcons and the forty nine Ers again, that might be different story. You're not gonna. I don't think different story versus Baltimore or Philadelphia. But those are three games early in the year that are just going to probably haunt you.
Speaker 5: Although I will tell you this, the one thing about Baltimore and the way the Cowboys came back in that game, Baltimore's had some issues with it.
Speaker 2: It's all year and that's been an all year thing.
Speaker 5: And if they if Dallas were playing right at that time, like the run defense particularly is playing now, I think that's a little bit of a different Bob.
Speaker 3: I'm only saying this because of the defense. I'm not saying this because of the.
Speaker 2: Offense right exactly.
Speaker 3: And we're going to watch the Cincinnati tape this week and we're going to be terrified of their offense. Yeah, we're gonna like, oh my gosh. But the one thing you have is your defense is playing better your offense. I mean, it's coming down. You're having a score on pick six's and kickoff returns. You know that that's not going to be something you could travel with all the time. But man, I mean, if you could play those three teams again with the way your defense is playing now or playing better that, I think those would be different outcomes we do.
Speaker 5: Yep, all right, let's let's talk about the offense from this last game against the Giants. Rico Dawdle for in my opinion, really the first time all year has shown what I thought he really could be. You could say the game before this they started seeing shades of it. Obviously got him to what is it's eighty seven yards. I think he was total in that previous game. But this game he runs twenty two carries for one hundred and twelve yards, a five point one average, a touchdown. It really felt like in this game they were committed to him. Now there was a period and I want.
Speaker 3: To see what they run it all the way down in three straight passes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean there was like three different there were three.
Speaker 3: I stood up and yelled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was on the table, our end, our end.
Speaker 3: I stood up and went and got something to drink. I said enough, Like what are you doing? I'm like, enough, enough enough.
Speaker 2: It's just one of those things. I'm like, it's working.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you find something that's working, keep That forced them to stop Trump and so that just that did kind of anger me a look, but.
Speaker 2: Overall they committed to the run.
Speaker 5: Well enough for him to have the yards that he did, it was the first time in his career he's passed one hundred one hundred yards in a game.
Speaker 3: Think about this, the guy had two hundred yards in five games. It's not five years in five days. I mean he basically he backed to back. I mean you you added up. I mean the number of cares. That's tough coming off that Commander's game, tough game, running the football, physical game. The Giants we mentioned are struggling, but still it's an NFL team and you got to you got to run the ball. And he had two hundred yards and really in five days apart, that shows you a lot about that kid where he's at.
Speaker 6: And Tony Pollard always said that the Commanders were the most physical challenge for him throughout the season as a running back against a divisional opponent. And sure they have some different personnel, but the personnel that they've added the physical guys too. You talk about Dorn's armstrong and guys like that. So yeah, it's impressive for for Reco daubtll. I think the big, the big runs were something that was so healthy for this offense. I mean, it was him breaking off the twenty two yarder and then backing it up with a seventeen yard directly after. I mean, he's like patient.
Speaker 3: The pass and the pass and the pass. Yeah, after talking about I mean.
Speaker 6: And then and then you could to that same point the third and two they needed the first down just to end the game, and they throw it to Cooks and Cooks has to dive to catch it and instead granted great catch by Cook's the end of the game. Nine times out of ten guys aren't catching that ball, and then the Giants are going to get a very another possession.
Speaker 3: Two minutes left in the game.
Speaker 6: Man, Then I there's a there's a bigger conversation there. But I loved what Rico Dwell did. I loved what Rico Dawell did on Thursday. You know how how pessimistic I've been about this run game throughout the season. I'm starting to get to a point with Dowell now where I see, you know, opportunities for him for the future after a game like that. Obviously, rock Hoffin bro I told you it is.
Speaker 3: Should have listened to me. I told you put Zach put Zach Martin on the bench. I didn't say that, say that when.
Speaker 7: He comes on the fan. What's that when sach comes on the fan.
Speaker 2: That he didn't come on the fan? I give I give Eric.
Speaker 3: I used to give Eric Kendricks tips. Did you hear about.
Speaker 2: Brian one day?
Speaker 5: One day when you did it and he was you could tell he so wanted you to just stop, and you would not stopping, like I'm giving you this tip, like I'm going and he was just like, please stop giving tips.
Speaker 2: It was hilarious, but I keep doing it.
Speaker 3: I did stop giving him tips. It was it was. It was a good tip though, but you know what, he wanted me to stop because he knew I was right.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: And the thing is when you give the tip, if somebody he's got it from that opposing to be listening. Now they know, oh he's clued in on this tip, maybe we ought to do something about So.
Speaker 6: It was like game related.
Speaker 2: Brian was basically scouting scouting. Yeah, he was giving him.
Speaker 3: I was giving a sky go listen when you see this. This is what's he goes. Why I watched the film and I'm going, okay, but let me just tell you what I say.
Speaker 5: And said it before he said it when he said I got a tip for you, and he was like, you know that, whenever you see this, you could just you could just hear in Eric's voice like he just.
Speaker 2: Stop right there, please stop right there.
Speaker 5: And Brian just runs right into it, like here's when you see this guy and he does this.
Speaker 2: This is what's coming.
Speaker 3: Just But Eric doesn't like to give you when you ask him about like schemes, he doesn't even want to talk about. No, he does it. So I end up asking questions about what kind of knives you use in the kitchen, you.
Speaker 5: Know, what kind of Ryan's advanced scouting on it, scouting on he's a big car guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is a big car guy.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you guys happen to see anything when it comes to ecodwa, did you see anything different that Dallas was doing with the run game, with maybe the kinds of plays they were using, the kinds of blocking schemes, anything different that would point to why they saw a different results or was it simply we committed to it and that's the result.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say this is a major thing that's helped, but it allowed one of those two big games that I talked about. Jonathan Mingo is a really useful guy. As far as getting some space outside, you talk about receiving receiver blockers.
Speaker 7: We throw him a good path.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, he could block. He could certainly block. But it's helping the run game. It's obviously not the biggest contributor. But it's something that I noticed off rip.
Speaker 3: Their tight ends are actually blocking span Ford, Schoonmaker, those guys are actually getting like they're getting. They're getting combination blocks like Steel and Hoffman. We're doing a really good job of handling that, getting those down guys secured. They're there, but the point of attack tight end blocks have been better, like span Ford has like it's like all of a sudden, it's all this playing time for him has made him like a little bit more like, oh okay, I guess I'm gonna have to do this. Either that or they're not gonna play me.
Speaker 2: But that's what they saw in him man, when they kept.
Speaker 5: Him with.
Speaker 3: The things that have happened. The combination block, and we keep we keep laughing about this. They do have a healthy body at right guard. A healthy body at right guard does make a difference. And then you get the combination of Hoffman and then Steel. We're and stuff well together. Daddle runs tough. Then you get point of attack tight end blocking that's helped. So yeah, it's really it's it's been to me and there wasn't. Sometimes it's such predictability with this offense. The second down run. You know, you're like, oh, well, here comes the second down run. You know here he's kind of mixing matching his runs a little bit better, and I think that's helping the situation as well.
Speaker 6: Could I mention one thing about the running game or out of the break? Okay, Ezekiel Elliott at this point one carry during the game. He only had nine snaps in the entire day season low. He didn't have any snaps in pass protection. Let's elevate my league, Davis, see what he's got. Let's see what you got going into the offseason. You haven't seen what the kid can do.
Speaker 3: Get You couldn't get You couldn't get Cook on the roster. What are you trying to do?
Speaker 6: Exactly? Yeah, yeah, he had his opportunity to give Davis his opportunity.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. He's saying at this point, just what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Cook?
Speaker 5: You gonna I mean, you're gonna have to give him a You say, bring him up for a week.
Speaker 6: Is that what you're saying, Davis?
Speaker 2: Yeah, bring him up for a week.
Speaker 6: See just got I.
Speaker 7: Love how you think we would actually get to see.
Speaker 3: That like a GM.
Speaker 6: All right, we have completely forgotten that Malie Davis is on this rock.
Speaker 2: I mean we have to see him.
Speaker 5: We know, we know what he can do though, I mean we've seen him play. He's a he's a good back. Just I don't know, he's a great bag.
Speaker 2: He's a good good back.
Speaker 3: Just keep giving Rico Dowbell the carry.
Speaker 2: Agree, Just just stick with what you mean. What do you just work?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 6: Just get five carries to league days?
Speaker 2: We just hate Rico, do not. Let's go the.
Speaker 6: Case he's worked. I think exactly. You need to save him for the future. Bring us up, bring thee Davis up for a week.
Speaker 2: So now we're saving people. Okay, all right, let's take our first break. When we come back. I do want to talk about the left right. I do want to talk about this offensive line a little bit more.
Speaker 5: We'll dive in a little deeper, and I'm gonna ask you guys the question, what's preferable a healthy brock Kaffman or more injured Zach Martin to talk about that we come back radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five gs. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 3: Five G requires compatible plan and device.
Speaker 2: Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: Don't put off.
Speaker 8: Getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 11: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starnfrisco, or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 6: Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 11: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
Speaker 12: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off already, gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Back to the break, lgoladevo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital trends said the lg olad G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com. Slash Oledevo Welcome back.
Speaker 5: It is the second segment of the break life from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star. This segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's talk about the offensive line yesterday or Thursday. Jeez, Thursday, they gave up zero sacks. They had a one hundred yard rusher. My question for you guys and Brian you mentioned it earlier. Brock Kauflin and brock Kaufman played at right guard in place of Zach Martin, who's been out injured. And I want to be really careful about this because I don't want anyone to take from this conversation that somehow it's like, oh, just discard the longtime great veteran who's headed for the Hall of Fame and Zach Martin. That is not what this conversation is about. This conversation is more about the tactical point of right now, the way brock Kaufman is playing, and I think you said it during the break, Nick, he has one he's allowed one pressure in the time that he's played, in the way that he's playing, compared to what Zach. How Zach has been playing with all the injuries, which right now, again that's not his fault, but he has a ton of injuries and he's really trying to battle through it. But you can tell there's a marked difference between his normal play and the play that he's had this year. Which do you think is better for the success of this team, A healthy brock Kauffman or an injured Zach.
Speaker 6: Mart I'm gonna take the names out of it and just look at the success. And I think brock Kaffman is having more success. And you look at not only pass protection, he's only allowed one pressure all season and one hundred and eighty three snaps. You look at the run game and what they've been able to generate in the run game these last two games. You see the lanes that they've been able to open up in the middle of the offensive line. I credit brock Hoffman a lot to that. Obviously Koober BB and Tyler Smith as well, But if I'm looking at results, I see a lot different results with brock Kaufman.
Speaker 2: And now also let's put it into this equation.
Speaker 5: This has been over the last two weeks against the opponents, specifically this last week against an opponent like the Giants that is a less opponent than maybe some that that Zach is at the.
Speaker 3: Face their best player plays defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was defense what point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well at the elbow, yeah, he went down what third quarter? I think it was late third Yeah, but yeah, they.
Speaker 2: He is possible defensive player of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they double team that dude sixty five percent of them When you watch that play, I mean they Dallas's plan in the first time these two teams met was not to let they double teamed him every pass rush. You know, they were not going to let him win. He didn't and he didn't win. You know, it'll be it'll be interesting now because basically what you've done is you've bought You've bought Zach Martin. What now three weeks would that be? How you look at this? Right?
Speaker 6: With that?
Speaker 3: If you count out the days of the games he's missed, you know how, so he's missed. Yeah, but the two games were five days apart, so you missed the two games. So you're really looking at that week and then another week and now they're going to have a week to get ready for this. So it's a Monday night, right? Is that three weeks? Is that enough time to get everything kind of in line again for a push for for Zach Martin? Or do you this sounds so bad? Do you just keep rolling because you're rolling on offense? I mean, I say rolling. You've had your positive running game against the Commanders positive running game we've talked about the Giants. Seems like that in the Commander's game, they thrilled, they threw the ball. The protection was good enough. The Giants game, the protection was good enough. Do you just do you just keep it rolling? Do you just tell Zach Martin that we're gonna keep going with this and do you rotate him back in? How do you how do.
Speaker 2: You just tell him like, we're gonna let you keep getting better.
Speaker 5: Because my assumption with all that you're saying, I'm in three weeks, maybe he can't be one hundred percent, So we just want you to keep getting better and we'll wait that out.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to watching Cincinnati and they have McKinley Jackson, they have Chris Jenkins, they have these rookie defensive tackles, BJ Hill, they have They've got all these these guys. Sheldon Rankins, who they got from Houston is he's hurt, so, I mean, I don't know what their defensive tackle situation is. Like it might be where you can once again play with brock Hoffman and now you give Zach Martin a full three weeks and then you get Now you're getting in and heck, then you're at Carolina the following week. I mean, do you just do you save Zach Martin for Philadelphia and the Commanders? I mean, but what if you keep winning? What if you keep winning? What if you do beat Cincinnati and then what do you do? Now you beat Carolina, You're back to five hundred. It's crazy, you know, And so I mean, I think you'd want to have Zach Martin there playing right, But if your offense is playing better running the football and the past protection stuff is better, does Zach Martin become just a backup guy? Got? I think I never say that.
Speaker 7: I think it's I like what Nick did. Like if you do the whole on biased opinion and take the name out of it and just look at the plays.
Speaker 3: The position they're playing better, that's.
Speaker 7: What you should rely on. And again, there's no way that Zach is back to filling one hundred percent right now. I mean, there's always a way, but it's it's one of those scenarios that you you want to keep seeing what you have in Brockoffman and give him the chance. It's going well so far, but also you want to protect the health.
Speaker 3: Of your Okay, I got one for you, A G seventy two Zach Martin better than brock Hoffman, so specific I.
Speaker 6: Not seventy seven.
Speaker 7: It depends on where we're just killed. It depends on where we're at in the season.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're trying to win games. I mean, you've got to win. You really can't lose games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you have a shot at the playoffs. The playoffs start today.
Speaker 3: Every game, every game you play is a playoff game. Every game you play is a playoff game.
Speaker 7: So excu, he's my emergency guy.
Speaker 3: Hey, oh gosh, Mancy, because.
Speaker 7: I want him to keep getting healthy and worst case scenario, come back. We need you.
Speaker 3: This might be his last campaign, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're gonna have the black SUVs take us away when we walk out of this podcast studio. It's gonna get bad. I I would go with Brockoffin in that equation.
Speaker 3: A seventy two percent. Yeah, Zach Martin, not better than bet, not better than off.
Speaker 5: Give me the seventy two percent, Zach. Now, if you'd gone to sixty nine percent, I would have changed.
Speaker 2: Seventy two percent. I'm taking. That's passing, Zach, Yeah, exactly taking.
Speaker 7: I just want what's better for Sack. I care so much about it. No, but it's it's a.
Speaker 3: Tough is this is the okay? Is it is? It? Is this the same situation they went through with Romo and Dak in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: I think it's a little different just because of the position. I do think the position colors at a lot.
Speaker 6: It's a lot different. There, different I think there. I think there is a comparison you can make. I just need to think of one off the top of my head.
Speaker 7: Well, that's an easier switch, you know, versus you designing man.
Speaker 3: There were people that wanted they wanted Tony back in there.
Speaker 5: No, that was a hard decision, I think for the organization. I remember, Yeah, there were some people that did want him back in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. When do you not play Zach Martin? I mean, do you just because things are rolling along? I mean at least through two games.
Speaker 5: Well, let's also I think part of the thing is the situation back then that was like that was the results were so spectacular that.
Speaker 3: Year, like you beat Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh you.
Speaker 5: Were just doing some things that year that just felt like, man, this team is really rolling in a way that they haven't really rolled in a while, and from the standpoint of just the excitement that it that it built, and and you have to factor that in when you think about the locker room, like if you there's more that could go wrong with replacing Dak with Romo then with staying the course, is the way I look at it, and so I think it made sense and so but but I don't think I think that was so different than this like this season has been in most people's.
Speaker 2: Estimations, a disappointment.
Speaker 5: Has So from that standpoint, I think it's a little bit of a different equation of well, yeah, you could trade them back in or or not trade them back in. If you put Zack back in, is he gonna make that big of a difference where now they aren't gonna make this improbable run. I don't know that you could make that argument. So I think it's a little bit different from that standpoint.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't see it the same as as Dak and Romo. If that's the question, Yeah, that was, Yeah, I don't see the same. I don't see it the same at.
Speaker 3: All, not at all, not at all.
Speaker 6: But I see where you're going with it. I'm trying to think of like a more similar comparison.
Speaker 3: Talking about you're talking about like you're like a like a A. Okay, I'm just gonna say this in a nice way. A journeyman right guard who's played really well the last couple of weeks, Yeah, is he better than playing with a Hall of Fame guard who is dealing with a lot of injuries. See this is where this is also I make it sound really dire.
Speaker 2: Then this is also.
Speaker 5: Where you know you think you factor in the human element. So let's say, for example, if you're playing I don't want to get too crazy, but if you're playing mad, if you're playing Madden and you got two players like this, then you just take the player that has played better. Whatever player is playing better, that's the player you take. If if when you're dealing with humans, though, there's this element of man.
Speaker 2: I've seen Zach be dominant.
Speaker 3: We've seen him struggle, and that's because he's really I think banged up, right, I get that.
Speaker 5: But what I'm saying is I think for the coaches, after giving him, let's say, three weeks to get healthy, if he comes to you and says, coach, I'm good, I can go believe him. You're gonna believe him right, and by the way, he's earned that right. And so this is not just a easy decision of this guy's playing better, this guy was not playing well.
Speaker 2: It is there's a human factor in it.
Speaker 5: The human factor means that this guy that wasn't playing as well because you trust him because of the history has, if he says he can go, you're gonna throw him out there.
Speaker 2: No matter what.
Speaker 7: That's what I was gonna say, Like he I don't see Zach being the type of person that would come in here and like throw a fit and be like if he's not ready, if it's not if it's not ready, and he like he he is a true professional, and he he's not naive or blind. He can see everything and like know exactly what's happening. And I don't think he would be one that if it's not ready, just because of pride, he would try to throw a fit over there and argue like, no, put me out there now, Rummel Again, different personalities, different scenarios. I'm not trying to say nothing, but I'm saying I'm just say this, it's a different scenario here. I think Zach and I agree with you, if he would be like, hey, I feel good, I feel ready. There's no reason why not to listen to him.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't even think about it.
Speaker 3: You put really bad. What if this was a four game winning streak? What you got going with, sack nothing, I'm just no, no, I'm just with you. I'm just asking, I'm just seeing how committed you are.
Speaker 2: I'm my evaluation is still the same. It's a four game win streak.
Speaker 5: Because because it's four game win streak, then I'm like, well, Zach said, now what five weeks.
Speaker 2: To get healthy? You give me a healthy Zach Martin.
Speaker 5: I'm taking him over anybody on this offensive offensive maybe Tyler Smith.
Speaker 3: You're putting tank back in their over Golston, right, yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, when he's healthy, I'm putting it back in there because of the history.
Speaker 6: Come on, I trust the history.
Speaker 5: Ask I mean, the last time we saw him on the field, he was still a really good player.
Speaker 2: The last time we saw Zach healthy, he was still a really good player.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if we've seen Zach healthy all year.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 5: I agree with that last time we saw him healthy was last season, and last season he was a really good player.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's tough to have this conversation.
Speaker 3: Watch not be able to run the ball this week, and you guys are liking to be like screaming at your into the press.
Speaker 2: Come save usore, we do it. Put Hoffman back in there. We do it all right, Here we go. Let's take our final break, will come back.
Speaker 5: Let's talk a little bit about the quarterback to do it till the third segment to get to have a little assessment.
Speaker 2: Cooper rushes play here in this flast game we'll do when we come back.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 13: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 13: Lgo led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United aggin Turf offers a win lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 3: Off the field.
Speaker 14: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even tastier. It's a Pepper thing, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 2: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money. Dallas how Boys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 2: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals. Back to the break.
Speaker 7: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 5: Well back, we were in the final segment of the break Life from this WBC Mortgage Studios at the star let's talk about Cooper Rush. He was twenty one to thirty six, fifty eight percent completion rate, one hundred and ninety five passing yards, one touchdown, no interceptions, eighty two point five rating by all accounts, a very solid day. Nothing crazy, nothing crazy bad. How would you assess this play from that game?
Speaker 6: This looked like the twenty twenty two Cooper Rush because he had a running game. He didn't try to do too much, he was calculated, he didn't force anything, and he had a healthy running game to help support that. And it looked like a twenty twenty two offense in that sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the balls is not going down the field though, very much, right, I mean, everything is kind of you know, but when Cooper Rush doesn't turn over the ball, they have a chance to win. When he does, they're going to lose. It's just the way it is. So you still kind of you know, you're kind of looking for a little bit more. That's my worry about some of these games that you're going to have to try and wine down the stretch here if you yeah, Philly, Cincinnati, since Tampa, that guy, you know, Baker Mayfield, the way he plays. I mean, if if you're gonna really be in this thing, you're gonna have to go win those games. And can Cooper rush generate enough offense if done turn the ball over? Got a chance. But you know five, you know, if you look at all the metrics and all that, he's one of the he's one of the he's one of he's near the bottom and most every metrics there is for a quarterback. So you know, Dallas's defense, they're special teams. That's gonna be a big calling card there. The ability to run the football, you know, like but you're gonna have to play great defense and hope, like hell that he could find some offense somewhere that Ceedee Lamb can get going, you know, and you know, and and maybe they found something with Turpin getting him more involved, getting him down the field. But you know, we'll see how that all plays out. I I have my doubts because I think Cooper Rush is who Cooper Rush is. There's not gonna be anything spectacular. And you know you're going in all these games likely being the quarterback that you're playing against is probably the better quarterback on the field.
Speaker 6: So it's a healthy Trey Lance better than a banged up Cooper.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a feeling. I have my feelings. I have my feelings about how to win these football games. Yeah, and I think late in the year, I think it would be really difficult for an NFL defense to have to get ready to play against Trey Lance running the football. I think you can. I think you can scheme and and there's gonna be some games where you're gonna if you're if you think you're going to shoot out, and you might have to. You might have to shoot out. I shouldn't use that term. But you're gonna have to like play at a very high four. Yeah, you have to play at a very high level to beat Cincinnati because of their offense. You know they're gonna put Dallas's defense is going to have their handsful, but on defense, but they're playing better. You know they could. They could. They're capable of playing really well. And but we keep going back to how many three and outs are you gonna have? How many you know, how many missed opportunities are you going to have in the red zone? How many times are you going to get down there, you know, first and eight and have to kick a field goal.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you brought up red zone, and I know it's a much different situation. But you look at what Texas did in College Station on Saturday. Yeah, Saturday, My days are all messed up. When they bring in arch Manning in the red zone.
Speaker 5: They had a specific package from him in the red zone. It works perfect, It.
Speaker 2: Works perfect, well well done.
Speaker 6: And when and when Dallas has these red zone issues, why not integrate trade lance?
Speaker 7: It's it's it's like copying. We don't like your copy. What works?
Speaker 3: I got to college, speaking of college.
Speaker 2: Young people out there a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Mister Broughts, why are you wearing a hat today? I never wear a hat.
Speaker 7: You're still you're still seeing the same missions that you still like you had with dak in there. Sure it still does like none of that, none of those problems that you were having offensively have improved whatsoever. It does help when you create that balance offense like you guys mentioned having that running game, but as soon as a defense is able to take that running game that recently started to reappear, you're I don't think you still. I don't think you can do enough because you haven't shown that you can offensively. And Cooper he can have some good throws, but then there's a bunch that are just like very close, and you're like, why why did you throw the ball right there? And I mentioned Mingo earlier. I think he had I don't know how many, but there were several missed opportunities there that had the ball been thrown just a little bit better, he would have caught that.
Speaker 3: I know. The one thing about Trey Lance his arm is stronger than what sure. I mean, you watch him throw, and sure it could go all over the place. You could go to the other team, you know.
Speaker 7: But so what I want to think is the reason why we haven't actually seen more of Trey Lance.
Speaker 3: Because because Cooper Rush has proven he can win games and not mess it up.
Speaker 5: And let's be clear, I'm not saying I necessarily want to see more of Trey Lance. I just want to see them being I want to see some designed like when they when they brought him in these last two games, it almost felt like it was just kind of the cursory thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get Trey in there and give them some reps.
Speaker 7: Purpose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it felt like a preseason game where you kind of just want to see instead of like you said with the Texas game, it was clear they had a package. When we get to the red zone, we're going to pull this out and we're going to try these things that's going to give the defense something different than what we've necessarily shown, and we're going to take advantage of this player's specific skills.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to see.
Speaker 5: I want to see them try something in a specific moment in games where there's a big opportunity to be able to take advantage of something because of this players you need skills.
Speaker 2: And then give them a play that's unique to their skills.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's not more, it's not more, it's just well, I'm more.
Speaker 7: I mean exactly what you said, Okay, good, more, but in a better way with the purpose, because just like you said, the times that we have seen him in there, you're like, what, like, what are we doing here? It doesn't seem it just seems like you're just throwing him out there just for the fun of it. You really don't have a true plan behind it or a design play that plays into his abilities, like you said, And I think that's where they could get so creative and just have the best of both things. Use Trey Lance and then Cooper Rush with what he can do.
Speaker 2: Not all good.
Speaker 6: I'll say, you don't want to see Trey Lance start these games?
Speaker 2: No, no, you don't. I think Cooper still gives you the best.
Speaker 7: Team, and we saw some of that in the Preseeds.
Speaker 2: I think Cooper still gives you the best chance to win.
Speaker 5: I think that Trey Lance right now is and I don't want to son a bad term, because I think it's a good term. He's a gadget player right now. He's a guy that that you can pull out, and he has some really unique skills that if you use him the right way, you could throw something at teams that they're just not They can't they haven't prepared for in the way that they've prepared for Cooper Rush, and you can take advantage of it if you do it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: See it's funny. I just looked up something just because I was curious. They call this like the identity check. You know in Next Gen you ever see that Derek identity check. They see no need to blitz Cooper rush. His five point three yards per attempt versus four or fewer rushers is the second fewest in the NFL.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So he's just intentionally very he's.
Speaker 3: Very conservative the way that he plays football.
Speaker 2: At Brandon Whedon when he's here, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you're kind of like you're kind of sitting there like going, okay, well, you know, thank god you got overshown in Parsons and Bland and all these guys back, because if you're sitting there, you're just you know, if you're a pastor and your five point three yards an attempt and not even against the blitz just four man rush man, that that's that's that's asking way too much of your your team right there.
Speaker 5: All right, we appreciate you guys. Jonas will be back tomorrow. We'll have a little game from Brian will look some.
Speaker 3: Big pictures, just half my questions topics.
Speaker 5: And get through that one tomorrow till then for Nick Harris, Brian brought a Sandbergarci. I'm Derek hil from This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.