Speaker 1: Greens and Ben Benniel's fellows Sears of the Dark.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Dallyreo. Welcome to Noctorno. Tales from the shadows.
Speaker 1: By the enchanted flame of this fire, we transcend time and space to step into the chilling Lord and legends of Latin America. Stories passed down through the years and retold with a twists, but be worn for as we cross over the other side, you may never know what nightmarerow waits.
Speaker 2: I do hope you're prepared quickly. Now we have a schedule to keep.
Speaker 1: A train station operating near the Mexico Guatemala Morta out In this untamed region, a new railway becomes mans Lady's attempt.
Speaker 2: To overcome the wilderness.
Speaker 1: On other stretchs of land, that might be a simple task, but legend has it.
Speaker 2: Within these woods resides.
Speaker 1: A guardian as Sisimite, an ancient ferocious beast standing nine feet doll Some believe it to be a harbinger of death, others a protector of life. But the lines between good and bad are often colored by perception, and even the most well intentioned dean can sometimes blow up in your face, as the conductor and engineer may soon come DeFi quite all the time, join us and climb aboard, but don't get too comfortable.
Speaker 2: And based on the ballas a tale of LCC.
Speaker 3: So basically, what they're doing now is replacing the old rate line which hasn't been using like forever.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Right, and we keep hearing a lot about progress and projections, but what about the indigenous families being displaced, not to mention all the environmental damage.
Speaker 5: And that's just with normal data day operation exactly. But what if this train explodes, which does happen? Do you know how much compustible cargo they can carry, even trainy train cars with equified GUS detonate, it would be the same energy of the Hiroshima bomb.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I don't understand how that is.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: People in the rail industry literally call them bomb trains. So yeah, of course there are going to be protests, and and then there's the recent disappearances.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't even get me started. I'll just say this, believe what you want. Well, there's a reason this israel and hasn't been used for a hundred years.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 7: Are you.
Speaker 2: Give me?
Speaker 8: This is starting to feel dangerous?
Speaker 9: Morning Margaret, does this sound bad to you?
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound good if you're an engineer.
Speaker 8: Fix it.
Speaker 7: Coffee falls under the conductor's purview, Jacob.
Speaker 8: I think this thing needs a priest. They needs a sign. Shouldn't have coffee, should go back to sleep.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a thought.
Speaker 8: Morning forenam morning. It's ten at night. That explains why I'm so tired. How was your shift? I would worry more about your own shift, especially tonight. This again, Well, you are riding the ghost track, Cannel. No one calls it that.
Speaker 5: Anymore.
Speaker 8: Have you heard about all the stories that.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, yes, we all know the stories.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, But recently I've been hearing a bunch of new ones about people going missing along the railways.
Speaker 9: What do you mean.
Speaker 8: Some workers and protesters just up and disappeared. But one guy, a breakman I think, was found torn to pieces. Okay, I did hear about that, But wasn't it in some remote area? And where do you think the ghost track runs? Huh? And it'll be the first time in what one hundred years?
Speaker 7: Fat it's all new tracks that they.
Speaker 8: Relapse, new track, but same old fantasmas, same aspantos. But the one you really have to worry about. Is the Guardian.
Speaker 10: The Guardian I'll be looking for is just all you talk about front of that ghost stories?
Speaker 8: Just given my pass downs, Hammon.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure what it is about this part of the world.
Speaker 11: Listen, these are just rumors being spread around by proton protesters mind you that may try to interfere with our runs. And I bet some of them aren't even really mission, just some tactics to scare the people foolish enough to believe them.
Speaker 8: Whatever you say, And how.
Speaker 9: Are you two doing? Ready for the night?
Speaker 12: I am feels like a covert mission.
Speaker 7: Yeah, hey, why are we making this run that night? I get moving up the schedule, But.
Speaker 9: Just the precaution.
Speaker 11: The hope is we can avoid anyont wanted interactions this way. We don't want anything to happen to our brand new train now, will be.
Speaker 9: Damn man, Dad about that?
Speaker 8: I've been meaning to ask you.
Speaker 9: Would you say that the company spared no expense, No more Jurassic Park references?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 9: This is in the movie. This is real life.
Speaker 2: Come on, it's good luck. Say it.
Speaker 12: Say it?
Speaker 8: No you Margaret, you heard them? Real life finds a way.
Speaker 2: Nice God.
Speaker 8: See, this is why no one likes to work with you too. Can you please move on to another movie?
Speaker 5: Never ever?
Speaker 9: All right, getting back on track here.
Speaker 11: There have also been reports of up ticking stowaways, so keep an eye out for that as well.
Speaker 13: Is that related to the protests?
Speaker 9: Not sure, but it would have surprised me.
Speaker 8: Sure, worry about some malnourished migrants instead of the monstrosities and demonios that inhabit the forest, especially at night. Who could have saw that coming?
Speaker 7: Okay, but why do you even ask for advice if you're not going to listen?
Speaker 8: I listen.
Speaker 6: Not according to your wife.
Speaker 2: I did what she said.
Speaker 8: I listened to the Bean Chip podcast.
Speaker 12: I get it.
Speaker 8: Okay, the protesters don't want the train train bad protest?
Speaker 12: Good?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 7: How are you this tense?
Speaker 14: Listen?
Speaker 2: Why are the protests happen?
Speaker 8: Why you can serve it? You know people are getting displaced?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 3: Why else?
Speaker 15: I don't know?
Speaker 8: The environment?
Speaker 7: Maybe it's because some trains like the one we're on right now are bomb trains.
Speaker 8: So bad for the environment, No bad for you, y'all. Go ook at y'all.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna I'm gonna throw you overboard. You know what happens to you? To us if this train explodes.
Speaker 12: Well, well, well, oh oh wait, so she's upset that I could wait explode him.
Speaker 7: Poor woman, I'll say a prayer for her.
Speaker 6: Uh that time already, huh yeah, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Whoa, what the hell?
Speaker 15: What what happened?
Speaker 8: So something just started across the track?
Speaker 15: Mhm but a deer maybe?
Speaker 16: Wait?
Speaker 7: What what's with a scared look? Oh no, no, no, no, don't tell me. You let Ferdinand get in your head?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 8: No, I just it was a big deer.
Speaker 13: You did, you totally did?
Speaker 8: And someone at this place gives me the creeps. That's a normal response to the unknown unknown.
Speaker 13: This isn't bad.
Speaker 7: Yeah, here's a checklist. Let's go.
Speaker 9: Come on, Margaret. Okay, but back to what I was saying.
Speaker 8: We talked about the whole bomb train thing a few times.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I mean I thought i' in my case.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, making your case doesn't mean her feelings change.
Speaker 2: Because why doesn't she just say that, Wow? She probably did? Well, how would I know?
Speaker 8: I don't listen?
Speaker 7: You really are hopeless?
Speaker 8: I mean a you know, I mean, I'm gonna this fuse is flashing.
Speaker 9: I need to replace a host.
Speaker 7: Well, so much for brand new.
Speaker 8: Okay, sure, the job can be dangerous, but that's just the nature of what we do.
Speaker 2: It's the cost of progress.
Speaker 16: And I'm sorry, but human progress and job creation are more important than a few trees.
Speaker 7: Gee, the lack of humility for nature that's being displayed here.
Speaker 2: Staggers me, I did it.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, on points for that quote, But on, Margaret, how can.
Speaker 7: You be so misinformed?
Speaker 13: All right, coming on.
Speaker 7: Progress is not being made here, and more jobs are being automated than ever. All we're really doing is lining the pockets have already rich assholes, and all at the expense of indigenous locals and nature. Now, it's why, why what I'm thinking about hanging it up?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh mam, miss, you're not You're not serious?
Speaker 9: Right in city?
Speaker 13: I am.
Speaker 7: This work and this work schedule is why Manny left. Now the kids are off to college or in the United States, and them too. They've really been on me about the protests.
Speaker 9: So I'm not in Margaret, let my gingus.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna have solo.
Speaker 7: Come on, all right, let's go, come on, let's get back to the cab.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 7: Maybe we're on the wrong side of the good lie.
Speaker 5: We are not at the whim of nature anymore, Margaret, for better or for worse, we have conquered it.
Speaker 2: That's what this railway is.
Speaker 8: Human progress.
Speaker 2: Man is the APAs.
Speaker 8: Man is above.
Speaker 7: Nature now until nature retaliates and woman inherits the earth.
Speaker 8: How dare you use doctor Sadler against me?
Speaker 3: You had it coming? Is that?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 8: Ship?
Speaker 14: There's a tree down on the track.
Speaker 8: Okay, what do we do?
Speaker 12: Run through it?
Speaker 10: Part of balm tree?
Speaker 14: Don't you understand?
Speaker 18: Get Freddy get erchanse stop.
Speaker 7: Hold on your butts.
Speaker 2: Oh what the hell?
Speaker 8: You see that? Someone standing out on the track?
Speaker 7: Who made it?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 18: What did you say before?
Speaker 8: Chris warned I saw someone standing over that tree?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 7: There is literally nothing for miles who could survive?
Speaker 2: Way out here?
Speaker 8: Control? Come in control?
Speaker 9: Control?
Speaker 8: Do you copy?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Boy, see we're too far out.
Speaker 8: You got an alert out in the eunix panel.
Speaker 2: Obviously what is it?
Speaker 8: Might be a hos er, a knuckle, I'll check. Tell me to put the boots on the ballast.
Speaker 10: Okay, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, Maybe take your pepper spray just.
Speaker 15: In case.
Speaker 8: Bird man's and who's head now? Yeah?
Speaker 18: Or don't take it and mauled by a rabid deer.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 12: I'm taking the walkie okay, good Ye.
Speaker 7: It's black out here, so I can see that.
Speaker 2: Don't you mean you can't see it? And so.
Speaker 7: Looks like it's going to be about ten cars back?
Speaker 8: Copy? Hey, I think I see something?
Speaker 7: You found the problem?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I see movement?
Speaker 15: Wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 5: What do you see?
Speaker 8: I'm gonna check it out?
Speaker 13: What is he doing?
Speaker 3: Jacob?
Speaker 2: Jacob? Come in? I heard a scream?
Speaker 10: Are you okay?
Speaker 14: Respond?
Speaker 2: Why aren't you answering?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 18: Engine, you're to conductor.
Speaker 8: I'm here, I'm here.
Speaker 16: We have a thoway going on a copy?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: So what was that?
Speaker 15: Screen?
Speaker 8: I remember sprayed them and I got myself too.
Speaker 9: Sorry? Sorry too?
Speaker 12: Was okay?
Speaker 10: But are you good?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, they're complying.
Speaker 13: Thank goodness for that?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 10: Well jesus, okay that that wasn't a deer, Jacob. I think I just saw maybe a bear or something big running towards you. Copy?
Speaker 2: What what what you saw?
Speaker 10: There was a large animal. You need to get inside one of the cars or somewhere high.
Speaker 8: I can't see anything, like my eyes are on fire.
Speaker 10: Doesn't get inside a car, do you hear me.
Speaker 5: Jake up.
Speaker 10: Response Jacob respond engineer to conductor.
Speaker 13: Come on, Jacob, Okay, okay, fuck me. Better not be a bear. M god, diner, it's dark. Okay, bear, stay on the other side. Don't come over here. Hey, I'm I'm coming to you. Do you copy?
Speaker 14: God?
Speaker 12: Jacob?
Speaker 13: She's something Okay, chit.
Speaker 18: Hook okay eight nine, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 16: Jesus, there is something out there.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's what I came to tell you.
Speaker 7: I think it might be a bear.
Speaker 18: There are no bears in this region, so you're the story.
Speaker 15: Hey, what you're doing.
Speaker 18: It's pretty dangerous.
Speaker 12: You know that.
Speaker 3: So is your train.
Speaker 15: But right now, I think all the danger is out there. What oh god, it's like, oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It's here.
Speaker 15: It's here.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 15: It has many names?
Speaker 13: What does he.
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 13: No no, no no no no no no no no no no no.
Speaker 15: He's a guard kid and died. We protect this place from intruders without mercy.
Speaker 2: What a guardian?
Speaker 7: Why does that sound?
Speaker 15: Ah?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 16: Look, look, uh contact contact.
Speaker 5: I know this area has a reputation, but they're just rumors, okay, folks, stories five thousands Okay.
Speaker 15: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no. Does that sound like a rumor to you? Why did you have to use this truck? We thought you were still choosing the temporary route.
Speaker 10: So you're one of the protesters.
Speaker 15: Fuck gorilla? No no, no, you see it, you see we get here.
Speaker 2: This is insane.
Speaker 16: I don't know. I don't know what that was, but but I don't think it can get in here. I think we're okay unless it unless it figures.
Speaker 2: Out out of open doors.
Speaker 5: Take a feeling.
Speaker 11: Hey, sorry, sorry, maybe it's gone.
Speaker 13: It's too dark to see anything.
Speaker 15: We can't stay here, but where were we gonna do?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 18: Hey, maybe just stay away from the door and the windows.
Speaker 15: I can't believe this happened.
Speaker 9: Yeah, ma'am, Hey, I said sat again. It's gonna be okay. We just stay calm, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm not there.
Speaker 9: Just take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: There you go. You know that's a.
Speaker 15: That's actually helping.
Speaker 2: Now we just need to.
Speaker 8: Figure out how we're going.
Speaker 6: Don't no, no, no, no, no, oh no way?
Speaker 9: What I keep?
Speaker 2: What I keep?
Speaker 8: Next car?
Speaker 2: Next walk?
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 12: How can you?
Speaker 8: What the fuck? What the actual fuck was that?
Speaker 13: I don't know what.
Speaker 18: Balter h balter out like it was nothing. We can't stay in this car.
Speaker 9: Okay, where did we go?
Speaker 2: I think the cab? The cab.
Speaker 8: Do you think that'll be safe.
Speaker 18: It's not safer than here. Okay, we'll run the train and rivers. Maybe we pick up enough speed to get away.
Speaker 8: What fucking reality is this? I can't believe Ferdinand was fucking right?
Speaker 13: Whoa mock?
Speaker 6: Go?
Speaker 2: Fuck o? Fucking chug it?
Speaker 16: Okay, okay, okay, look you ready?
Speaker 8: Come on?
Speaker 6: Come on, I have you damn it.
Speaker 2: I didn't get it.
Speaker 5: Come on, hurry, look.
Speaker 3: It, look it.
Speaker 10: Okay, look dance.
Speaker 15: System, stick rubber.
Speaker 7: Okay, try the radio.
Speaker 8: Control, come in control, Fox, come up and help me.
Speaker 3: Come keep trying once again.
Speaker 13: Movie.
Speaker 14: We might have a sickle.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, I don't move.
Speaker 8: Come on, did you see the size of that thing?
Speaker 14: I didn't get a good look at it.
Speaker 9: I don't think you can sit down here.
Speaker 14: Oh god, I hope it's true.
Speaker 2: Can you hear anything?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: But I think I can smell something.
Speaker 5: Oh come on, is that smoke?
Speaker 13: Oh my god?
Speaker 18: If there is a fire on this train, I don't know what's worse.
Speaker 13: What if we do?
Speaker 18: It's been long enough, the train should be ready to roll. Okay, if we can get moving and get away from that thing, we can figure out the fire at start.
Speaker 9: You think it's gone.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but I don't hear anything.
Speaker 9: Okay, look.
Speaker 2: It stuck.
Speaker 14: Help me, okay, just a just a little more. No, it's a fire, but it's definitely a fire. What's not down yet?
Speaker 13: Down?
Speaker 2: I can't believe that.
Speaker 16: I want to apologize for all the times I didn't listen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm not sure we have that kind of time.
Speaker 13: Jacob.
Speaker 8: You know you're the best engineer.
Speaker 5: I never thank you ever.
Speaker 12: Done for me.
Speaker 14: Oh, I never thought of this job.
Speaker 12: It's fun.
Speaker 3: Or enjoya believing that, then I get.
Speaker 6: Stuck with you.
Speaker 3: The last few years.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's it's pretty good run, Jacob.
Speaker 8: Thank you the best of my career.
Speaker 2: I get something right?
Speaker 13: God, you know what Jacob definitely got down.
Speaker 7: Him made my decision.
Speaker 8: After a careful consideration. Margaret, Yes, so have I.
Speaker 3: Well, the explosion devastated wildlife and started a massive fire. I mean, this is exactly what we were talking about.
Speaker 4: And can you believe the company is blaming protesters?
Speaker 9: Ridiculous?
Speaker 3: This was always going to happen one way or the other. These bump trains are just too dangerous.
Speaker 4: What matters most is that the train project has been suspended indefinitely.
Speaker 3: Obviously said that the people love their lives.
Speaker 4: But oh, there was one survivor allegedly, she apparently sustained some non explosion related injuries.
Speaker 3: Yes, hopefully we'll learn more about that, right, But again, I'm just glad that there can now be some semblance of peace in the region, and may it.
Speaker 4: Last another one hundred years.
Speaker 8: She see me there?
Speaker 2: What like us Eata?
Speaker 1: Was it a vicious monster out for blood or simply a noble creature.
Speaker 2: Defending its home.
Speaker 1: It seems no matter who you ask, one thing for certain there was something evil in the forest that night.
Speaker 2: Until that's time.
Speaker 17: Nocturno Tales from the Shadows was produced by Sonoro in partnership with I Heartsmichael Dura Podcast Network, Produced and directed by Luis Eduardo Castillo, developed and produced by Bettina Lopez, the executive produced by Connel Byrne and Giselle Benzies for iHeart and Camilla Victoriano and Joshua Weinstein for Sonoro. This episode was written by Elaija Srinana. Performances in this episode by Danny Trejo, Annie Henk, Sebastian Villa Lobos, Henry, Alexander Kelly, Savannah, Nicole Roys, Fernando Moje Pedro, Hollywood Rivera and Fernando Montroy. Our production manager is Carenza Chies. Recording engineering and sound designed by Cassandra Dinajerro and Andres Bayena. Casting a coordination by Ansley Martinez, Alex Gonzalez, Carensa Chides and Bettina Lopez. Voices recorded at the Invisible Studios and Out Loud Audio in Los Angeles, The Relic Room in New York, Panoramic Audio in Miami, Bill Carcery Productions in San Diego, Matt Block Sound in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Low Key Entertainment in Lima Perul, with engineering by Charles Carroll, Stephen George John Anderson, Lester Dangler, jkho Ato, Brett Tuban, Ethan Grafton, Manuel Duran, Reno, Joao, Diito Cavallero, and Bill Corkery