Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Dray with the great episode three hundred and ten potential finals preview in the NBA last night. We'll get to that. And you know, it's an odd spot because one half of this show is a big time Celtics fan. That was a game they wanted to win. The Thunder didn't have their second best player, so you know, I thought he might be a little down, a little nervous about his Celtics, who got beat by Oklahoma City when they played earlier this year, being held to twenty seven second half points. Then they lose again, and then I see Demonse and he's wearing an SGA jersey that he got by the way, like the year SGA was traded to the Thunder. So what is up with this front running nonsense that I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call it from running nonsense. I'd just say that I'm not phased at all. I'm not worried about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's not that you're like now a Thunder guy. You're just so unbothered. You can even wrap your old SGAs.
Speaker 2: Seven game series where these aren't. You know, we're not just playing one games when it gets to the finals. We're not worried about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, fair enough, I mean, I I believe you kind of. I will also say this, the jersey over the hooded sweatshirt is a bold look.
Speaker 2: Well, I figured since I was approaching thirty and I can't do this anymore, that I should probably get those out.
Speaker 1: You know, thirty is strong. I mean he's twenty six. I mean, I understand what you're saying that. Oh, by the way, I don't know why this made me think of it real quick before we get to the actual show. Producers saying jersey and hoodie is a great look. Okay, all right, Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: As opposed to what me just coming in here with the bear jersey on.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know the right way to do it. You have the physique would allow you have a You have a good enough physique where you could wear just the jersey. I do remember when I was in middle school, my school didn't have a uniform, but had a dress code, and the dress code was you had to wear collared shirts. It had you had to wear collared shirts. And I was big on the like short sleeve polo with a jersey over it. Like that was my workaround.
Speaker 3: Okay, bad luck.
Speaker 1: I'm not like I'm not. I had liked the Charles Barkley Sons jersey and I would wear the school sometimes the full the Charles Barkley sneakers did, Charles Barkley Sons shorts did Charles Barkley Jersey over.
Speaker 3: H Polo and over here.
Speaker 1: I mean that old so that that all happened, By the way, I was kind of hinting at on Tuesday's show something going on with our family that was super positive, but I didn't say what it was because it wasn't really my news to share. I then maybe, actually, well, here, here's what it is. My sister, Demanday's aunt just had her third baby on Tuesday, right after our show. So congrats to my sister Joanna and her husband Dan, and to my niece and nephew Mia and Max for adding Francesca to their family. After being so careful demanse about not saying what it was on the pod, I got a picture from Dan at two fifty four pm Eastern of my sister holding the baby. The baby had just been born, and I showed it to wilds It's two fifty four right before it went on the air. And Wild starts the show and says, welcome. The first things first, where we're congratulating Nick's sister Joanna on the new basis, And I just rolled with it and even said her name. And I don't know if Dan's parents or my parents had found out. I don't know America to the world right, but America found out. But congrats to Joe and Dan. All right, here's what missed the cut today. The Bills signed Joey Bosa. I get it high upside, it's only a one year deal, but man, oh man, that guy can't stay healthy and so but you know, so that's the concern with him. His brother has been the far better, far more productive player for quite some time. Russell Wilson is visiting Cleveland and the Giants, which to me is actually more of a Shadoor Sanders story than a Russell Wilson story, because I don't know where Shadoor Sanders is gonna get drafted. And here's what I mean when the whoops that I just tried to I'm trying to get the draft order up and I went to the twenty fifteen NFL draft, So it seems like the Titans are taking cam Ward one. Cleveland is evidently interested in Russell Wilson. They you know, so they I don't think you try to sign Russell Wilson, you're trying to draft Cam or should or Sanders. And so even if they don't get Russell Wilson, to me, that signals they're not that interested in should Or. The Giants are desperately trying to get Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson. So I don't know if they're interested in Shoud or. You don't think the Patriots go ahead.
Speaker 3: Is a situation.
Speaker 2: How they how they did with Cousins and Pinnix, Like it's like a safety blinket type of thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it could be, but I don't think so. I don't think that Cleveland is ready to yet fully admit that Deshaun Watson will never play there again. So I think they're just kind of looking for a bridge. So the Giants, though, have signaled by going after Rogers as hard as they have that maybe they're not in on Sudore. The Patriots are at four, they have Drake May. The Jags are at five, they have the Prince. The Raiders are at six they have Geno. Now the Jets are at seven. They just signed Justin Fields. The Panthers are at eight, they have Bryce. The Saints are at nine. They just redid Derek Carr's deal. The Bears are at ten they have they have Caleb. The Niners are at eleven. They have Mac Jones now and brock party William's name.
Speaker 3: For a second, there was Kenn.
Speaker 1: I know, it's crazy. I was looking at the It's because I was trying to go through the order in my head. Your twelve they have Dak Dolphins are at thirteen. They have Tua. The Culture at fourteen they have Daniel Jones and Anthony Richardson Falcons fifteen, Pennix Cardinals sixteen, Kyler Bengals seventeen Joe Burrow. See, I have to forget another great quarterbacks name, or for tend two that way, it's not a shot at Kale. The Bengals are seventy. Seattle's at eighteen. They just signed Darnold Bucks nineteen. They have Baker Broncos twenty, they have Nicks Steelers twenty one. Maybe like you know, but they're in. They're but they're going after Aaron Rodgers harder than anybody. So, like I think the Shador Sanders drop is very, very real. I think he is more likely to go after pick fifteen than he is to go in the top five. So that was not supposed to be something we were talking about, but we just talked about it and Aaron Rodgers getting exactly what he craves and thirsts and needs, which is our attention, and so shout out to him for everyone else can make this decision by now. He on the other hand, man, oh man, I just it's just so complicated. I think Aaron Rodgers knows where he's going. Reminder everybody like rate, subscribe, review, check out the podcast. We've got to be the only podcast that spends a solid ten minutes on the things we're not talking about. To start the show, I don't, I promise. I wanted to be done talking about the stephen A. Lebron stuff, but his media tour will not end on it, and so we'll get to that in a moment. But first, some sad news for one of my favorite athletes ever. I do want to start there, and then we'll get to the other stuff.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Yeah, Tiger was just unfortunately it underwent achilles erruptured achille surgery, so it's probably gonna be out for a while.
Speaker 3: And you said Tiger's your second favorite athlete ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said second favorite because I had always called him. If you had asked me for the you know, most of the last twenty years my two favorite athletes, I would have said Lebron won, Tiger two. And after I said it, I was like, oh, I kind of forgot Mahomes has, you know, supplanted some people. So he's Tiger's one of my three favorite athletes ever. And my story with Tiger is not the same as my story with Lebron, where like I started watching him Lebron when I was in high school and he was in high school. Tiger goes back further. I remember my late grandfather, who was a huge golf fan when I was ten to eleven years old, and man, I wish you could have met him, Demonse. He died when I was in college, but he would have loved you, and you would have loved him. But he called me, and he wasn't a big phone call guy, but he called me and told me, he's like, you've got to turn on the TV. There's this kid who's going to remake the golf world, remake it and he's trying to do something no one's ever done, which is when I think it's third straight Amateur and I turned it on. And that's exactly what he did in kind of a stirring comeback victory to win his third straight amateur title, and then shortly thereafter in the ninety seven Masters, he beat the world by one hundred strokes and remade golf as we knew it. And I just think because of what the last fifteen years have been, people and young people in particular, don't quite understand what two thousand really From that ninety seven Masters until the car accident in his driveway the night before Thanksgiving in two thousand and nine, what and who Tiger Woods was, or I'm sorry, and what and who Tiger Woods was was the greatest golf forever by such a wide margin. I'm sorry to the Jack Nicholas fans out there, but it can't be overstated what this man, how he changed a sport the likes of which no one's I don't think, ever changed another sport. So I'm just going to remind people of what he did. So nineties seven Masters he wins by a dozen strokes. The golf world is so terrified, they remake the Masters course, they say they're going to tiger proof it. And then over the next couple years he doesn't win any majors, and in fact he only comes close only a couple top fives. And then from the ninety nine PGA Championship through the two thousand and two season he has what will go down in history as either the greatest or the second greatest stretch in the history of professional golf. Here's what he did at the majors, at the tournaments that count. Ninety nine PGA first, two thousand, Masters fifth, two thousand, US Open first, two thousand, British Open first, two thousand, PGA first, two thousand and one Masters first. In a five major stretch, I'm sorry, a six major stretch, he won five, including four in a row, and the one he didn't win he came in fifth. He then the rest of two thousand and one, twelve, twenty fifth, twenty ninth in the majors, and then in two thousand and two won the Masters, won the US Open, second in the PGA, and in that moment, right there, he became the second greatest golfer in the history of the world. He had eight majors. He was in his early twenties. He had won the Masters by twelve strokes, the US Open at Pebble by fifteen strokes, the British Opened by eight strokes. He had completed the Career Grand Slam and was one more British Open championship away from completing the career Grand Slam twice and then three to oh four remade his swing. So think about that demonse. He had just had up to that point the greatest stretch in the history of professional golf. And he was like, you know what, I think I can be better. And in two thousand and three and two thousand and four he didn't win any majors, only had one top five and one other top ten, and people were like, oh, did he make a mistake. Should he not have done that? Like he was on such a roll. And then from the Masters in two thousand and five until the US Opened in two thousand and eight, there were fourteen majors. Here is what he did in those fourteen majors in order, first, second, first, fourth, third, missed the cut first, first, second and second, twelfth first second, first, fourteen majors, six wins, four seconds, a third, a fourth, a twelfth and one bad tournament, and in that US Open in two thousand and eight, he broke his leg in the final round, played on that hairline fracture, made one of the most iconic putts in golf history on that broken leg on the seventy second hole, just to force a playoff and have to come back the next day on the broken leg and play eighteen more and won it. And then he had the personal trouble, and he went away and from two thousand and nine to twenty eighteen, zero firsts, just one second, almost ten times, he missed the cut, twelve times, he didn't even play because he was dealing with injuries, he was dealing with the embarrassment, he was dealing with all of it. And then that glorious early start because of weather Sunday afternoon in April twenty nineteen, when he put it all together one more time for one final great moment as all great athletes try to have, and he won the twenty nineteen Masters with Deanna at how old would Deanna have been? Five years old? Sitting on my lap watching all five hours of it, and and I just I feel, I know, this sounds like really really sappy and oddly emotional, but I love sports, I love him, and I feel so incredibly blessed to have watched what I believe in my bones is going to go down as the greatest decade run of any player in the history of that sport by a mile. And we every few years we hear about somebody who's going to who's gonna you know, Oh, could he be the next Tiger? What you know, could he challenge the records? And the answer is no, no one can, no one will. And I understand. Jack Nicholas won more, Jack one eighteen, Tiger won fifteen. I don't care. Golf was so much harder, with so much deeper fields, and Tiger's run of dominance was so compact and great. But it's the other guys who we hear about that are oh, like, I've had to listen to people tell me look out for Scotty Scheffler. And nothing against Scotty Scheffler, but here's Scotty Scheffler's glorious run. First, missed the cut, second, twenty, first, tenth, second, third, twenty, third, first, eighth, forty, first, seventh. That's great, man, it's really cool. You are a Hall of Fame golfer. You got two of them. I I thought, uh, you know, what, what's brooks Keepka gonna do? Because Kepka's run was special, but it was still first, sixth thirteenth, skip the tournament, first, thirty ninth, first, second, first, second, fourth. Uh oh, Since then, that was five years ago. He's won one. Rory was gonna take the golf world by storm. Rory when he blew up. This is what it looked like. First, then a year and a half of nothing, another first, then a year or nothing, then first first. That was in twenty fourteen. He is not one again. No one's gonna do it. And part of that is because Tiger made the sport so popular and so much bigger. The competition got so much harder. And now people's windows, their great windows are two years. And listen, I give Jack credit for having a legitimate twenty year run. If Tiger had twenty healthy years, he'd add twenty five majors. And I'm really bummed that he's not going to get. I mean, even without the Achilles, we probably knew it was over. It was over, but I still held on to hope. But five Masters, three US Opens, three British for PGA, the most intimidating player in the history of the sport and potential Mount Rushmore figure of sports of the last fifty years. Tiger woods Man, and he was doing it all while kind of living a double life. And I don't know if that, you know, I'm not sure that makes it more impressive or not. Why are you giving me that look, Demanse.
Speaker 3: I mean I just didn't know how to react.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it, he was so here's so here's my kind of maybe uncouth, but I believe in my bones Tiger take So, Tiger during his run felt like and the numbers almost backed this up. He never missed those six foot putts that guys miss all the time, and he did go years with literally never missing one inside of four feet. And I think him the double life thing was part of why he was so great at those And I know it sounds crazy, but follow me for a moment. That's all psychology, and it's all I'm not like, I'm not going to let the moment get to me. And I think Tiger felt invincible and he was like, man, the world thinks, I'm like, you know, the ultimate family man. I have this impeccable image meanwhile, I'm out here, you know, popping drugs and sleeping with the Tippings waitress and I, you know, flying on my plane and texting her and doing this and nobody knows. And I got all this and the moment that man and untouchable and that and that parlayed into I'm untouchable and untouchable everywhere. And then when that balloon popped, but not only popped, but he had to hold a press conference in front of his with his mother in the front row and the whole world watching, and him saying, I'm a sex addict and I'm you know, I feel terribly and really got got taken to the wood shed by his wife, which is they had a prenup. She said, I'm leaving you, but all consider staying if you do X, Y and Z. One of the one of those things was we rip up the prenup, go to the counsel and go to this, go to whatever. He said, yes, and then she left anyway, which again I don't blame her for that's her prerogative. But he really he he went from a guy who won everywhere to public humiliation, losing everywhere, and I think that invincibility went away and was never gonna come back, and so it was all that, plus all the injuries and so just a bummer, but doesn't change the fact that there's not three athletes that I, as a sports fan, have gotten more enjoyment from watching than I have with Tiger Woods. And so shout out to him. Hope the recovery goes well, and I hope that he can really enjoy watching Charlie try to chase his son up right, Yeah, and so you know, so rooting for Charlie, I think that would be really really cool. Okay, well, in that weird way, speaking of a different goat whose son is trying to follow somewhat in his footsteps, but in you know, much more controversial manners. Uh Lebron Bronni And now the third character in this movie, my buddy Stephen A.
Speaker 3: Smith. Go ahead, Yeah, So Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith has been going around talking about his confrontation with Lebron James talked about on his show. I went and talked to talked about it with Gilbert Arenas and he said, I thought it was weak. I thought it was some bs. Yeah, what's your take on it?
Speaker 1: And then also he went on Sean Hannity's show last night, Yes and just and this got brought up in despite the all the awful things Hannity has said about Lebron.
Speaker 3: Over the years.
Speaker 1: So I have a lot of takes on this, and I was gonna leave this be, but the Gilbert Arenas show appearance was to me, it has to be responded to, and there's so many different tentacles to this, so I will first first, I want to make this point we in the media have to be willing to occasionally taken out everyone does, but particularly us, We in the media have to be willing to at times be like that was a miss. I was wrong. I didn't handle that perfectly. And we in the media also have to recognize and acknowledge that no matter how big or prominent, or wealthy or successful any of us ever get, we will never be from a fame or credibility to the audience standpoint, on par with the biggest athletes that we cover. It'll never Howard Cosell was not equal to Muhammad Ali. He was telling Ali's story. The audience was there for Ali. Bob Costas was not equal to Michael Jordan. He's He's telling Michael Jordan's story go ahead.
Speaker 3: To monsen with that.
Speaker 2: With that point, don't you think it like because Steve Natesmith's saying it's weak, Lebron James obviously has all the leverage on the court. Do you do you not think that it's a little Uh, I don't know, it's I don't want to say it's weak, but because he obviously does have leverage, like, nobody's gonna be on Steven asa beside it.
Speaker 1: But you also you that's the thing. So that's the thing you have to know in the media that you at some point the actual stars are the people we're talking about. Sometimes we can be good enough or successful enough, or prominent enough or whatever where we become kind of supporting actors, but it's their movie. People are here. They care so much about them that we become important people because we talk about them. And so there is there will never be a White House courus or White House correspondent that is more important to the political discourse than the president. There will there, and there will there will never be a Stephen a Is and he has earned it, earned it. He he is the most prominent sports media member, which does make him bigger than some athletes, but he will never be bigger than the biggest athletes. Like here's a good kind of you know, back in the Napkin Math, do you remember demanse Uh, when I went after Patrick Beverly. Yeah, that is I think two people on kind of equal footing. But think about why that is. You have me. I'm just saying we're about on equal footing. Me someone who's probably near the bottom of the top ten in my field and someone like him who's near the top of the bottom ten in his field. And that's where we meet. So you've got it, like so the and there was another jab at Patrick Beverley fit in there, but uh so it is so No, I don't think it's unfair for Lebron to respond. We all like the And here is the other thing. You gotta be prepared in the moment with how you're going to respond if they if you get checked. And this idea like I got, I told the story you know, confronted is too strong, but questioned by Jalen Hurt's mom night before the super Bowl, and she was totally within her rights. I've told the story for nothing but good thing to say about her. Uh And one of the only there are not many bright sides for me that came out of that Super Bowl. But I respected her in that interaction so much that I was part of me, the little part of me that wasn't heartbroken about the results of the game, was happy for her because she was so adamant or someone was gonna win and that he was gonna play great and all that happened. But in that moment, I had a choice to make do I snapfold my hand, or do I say, okay, we can actually talk about it. What I don't think is typically cool is to in the moment snapfold your hand and then after the fact talk and talk and talk and talk and talk about it. And here's the other pieces of it that I just I'm gonna go ahead and say I have a hard time fully buying. On Gilbert's show, stephen A said, essentially, my producers made me address it. I didn't want to. My producers made me address it. Bro, That's not how that works. We all we all know that, Like, that's it's not how that works on first things. First, I can't imagine that's how that works. On first take, I cannot imagine. And I do not think that anybody really believes like there is anything on that show that stephen A's like, I do not want to do this, and they're like, sorry, you have to come on, man, that's not like, that's not that's not a thing. Like maybe the day after a finals game if Steve, if someone was like, I don't want to talk about the basketball game, they might be like, well you have to and if not, we're gonna pay, like the but I, that's not a thing. And the other thing was this because on Gilbert Show, stephen A said, Oh, I I thought in the moment this was about Bronni. It wasn't until I saw what Lebron's conversation mouth somewhat covered mouth not with Richard Jefferson that I knew this was actually about what I had said about him as a father. Man. I knew it the next day. I was on here the next day and I told everyone that's what it was about. It was obvious that's what it was about. The everyone who's in these circles knows that's what it was about. When Lebron's people called you and you made fun of them, it was months ago. It was about that. It was about the I'm begging you as a father, So it's okay to say has caught off guard, has caught off guard, didn't really know, and then the other part of it, like again, and I say this every time, and I'll say it again, and it's so funny that I texted with stephen A the day this, the morning before this all happened, so like I think this happen a week ago today, I actually text with steven A that morning, so before it all happened. Obviously I have and I'm still using current present tense. I hope a good relationship with him. But I have to be I have to be fair here because I'm not hesitant ever on this platform or on the TV show really to criticize colleagues if I think they're dead wrong. I can't just have the guys that I really like or my friends or whatever be like a sacred cows here, especially when this this is the story that continues to be the story. The implication with Gilbert and company that listen, maybe I'd have handled that differently, but I worked for Walt Disney.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, ye about like the fighting or like I was gonna.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what it seemed like was being implied.
Speaker 4: I thought the same like listen, Steven Ain't to his credit, has gotten in great shape and did like a real boxing.
Speaker 1: Thing and would be a even even you know at his at his you know, he's in great japer's age and is despite being a decade plus order than me. I'll say it would be a significant favorite over most other media members. You know what I mean in hand to hand combat. But the idea that it's like, well, you know, hands are a little tide because I work for the mouse. Otherwise, like, come on, man, like, what are we like that? Let's just go ahead.
Speaker 2: I don't play a Devil's advocate any longer, but this last time we'll do it. Do you like what is in like? Is are we saying that the only thing that Stephen A. Smith did wrong was call out Lebron James's father, because everything else like in bounds.
Speaker 3: What's out about it?
Speaker 1: Here's so here's what I think. That's a great follow up and a great question. The I think that I'm pleading with you as a father was out of line. It's also what Lebron was responding to that was very clear from the morning after the event. I again, I set it on this show on a little emergency pod that we did right after or over the weekend, but before the rj uh interaction with Lebron, and it was it was very clear that's what it was about. So that is you Now I talked to Vimani about that, Butmani says, we need to normalize judging other people's parenting, which is an interesting take, and like it's also you know, Butmoni's you know, glass house there, not glass house there. Bamoni ain't got no kids, so he doesn't know how hard you guys can be sometimes. But but the that is, that's what triggered Lebron. Okay, that's what it was now is the criticism of Bronni. Fair it. Let me, I'm gonna tweak how I word that.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Well, I mean also like there's a while back, Lebron put out a tweet and I get it's not Bronni that tweeted, like it's just unfortunate that it's landing on Bronnie the kid when so.
Speaker 1: That tweet is I would argue, and this I think kind of speaks to how relatively well, not relatively well, but incredibly well Lebron James has handled twenty five years in the public eye. That tweets one of the five biggest missteps of his whole career, honest to God, like it really is. But the fact that everyone keeps pointing to this tweet from three years ago as evidence that, oh, Lebron has been building Bronnie up bigger than he was, I think speaks to the fact that after that tweet, Lebron pumped the brakes on it. Right, Like the that that tweet was it put a bigger target on Bronnie's back, and so that was that was a mistake that that's totally fair, and that's that would be criticizing Lebron. You know that a decision he made, Like, that's totally fair. But that's not what this was about, right, So the so but I but to get back to your other question is is Bronnie James a fair target for criticism? The answer to that is yes, he's an NBA player, He's a grown man NBA player. Is it also fair to say, if this is going to be the one and only second round pick in the entire draft in the last two drafts three drafts that we are going to occasionally criticize on national television, that if you have been one of the more vocal critics, whether it was his summer League performance or his opening few G League games or those awful minutes against the Sixers. Then if you really want to be fair, you've got to mix in the context and maybe include, oh, he's actually played really well since that moment. Now, I think it's probably like, does that make sense that if I'm that anybody that you are is you don't have to talk about, but you choose to talk about either super glowingly or super negatively, or it's you know that you insert in. It's probably fair to balance the scale to a degree you don't have to do. That's why I keep doing the you know, where he ranks amongst rookies, and he is somewhere between forty eighth and fifty eighth in every single minutes games, points, assists, steals, which is what you would hope for from the fifty to fifth pick. So that's the other piece of this that I think is a little bit of bullshit. If you were and this is not, I'm not talking about Stephen ah here, Okay, if you are to agree, I'm kind of talking about one of my dearest friends in the world, among others, but among other not among my other dearest friends, but Manni is one of my dearest friends in the world. He's one of many people who were very loud and skeptical about Bronni being drafted. I do think what's fair is if you were one of those people saying this is a farce of a pick to at some point mention he's acquitting himself pretty well in the G League, that he's averaging the exact same as the Lakers first round pick last year in the G League, that he, you know what, like that, because I think it's pretty clear that the people who said this is a farce of a pick, if Bronni in the G League was four points, couldn't you know? It is terrible to be like see, And so I just I do think though that stuff is well again, I just it's also not all that day to day relevant. I just what I don't. I just have a really hard time with the sequence of I didn't want to talk about this. I've now talked about it almost every single day on four different platforms since then. I didn't know what he was mad about when I got a call five weeks ago from his agent about the exact thing he's mad about. And anyone with kind of deductive reasoning knew that's what he's mad about, having been on the record for twenty years about how many games you go to and about how everyone you talk about is welcome to come up and talk to you about anything they say, and when that happens, to say it was weak and it was bullshit. And this is why I started with the we're not on equal playing field with these guys. Sometimes you don't get to respond like you can respond. That's let me don't that's I said that wrong. That's not what I meant. What I'm trying to say is in that moment, I think what he's saying is I wanted a phone call so I could give give my side of the story, and Lebron was saying, I don't give a shit about your side of the story. I didn't like what you said, and I wanted you to stop it and if we never speak again, no skin off my back. And that is a power and balance because like Lebron's like, I don't care about this relationship. You might, I don't, and that just kind of is that that that's why I used the Coseel Ali thing. Now, cosel actually was incredibly helpful to Ali because Ali had the US government working against him and a lot of things. So it's not a perfect example at all, but as helpful as Howard Cosel was to Muhammad Ali, Howard go Sel needed Muhammad Ali in that relationship more than Ali ever needed would need him. And no matter how wealthy or famous any of us get, we're not the actual stars. And then we also have to have the humility to at times just take an l. I don't know why that is so difficult for certain folks like and that's and I'm not just pointing out stephen A there at all. That is that is a lot of people again, well particularly people that in our business people and are there is. It's also why there's kind of this unspoken rule almost like oh, you know, I'm in the media, I'm not going to criticize other media that I obviously don't subscribe to. You. I just think that is somewhat hypocritical almost like we can't we we can't do what we do to these athletes and then act so wounded if somebody he does it to us.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's like this guy needs to change this, like that needs to happen it's like I feel like, yeah in some fashion, and.
Speaker 1: So listen, I really hope this is the end that of this the and the handity thing.
Speaker 3: Made him do it.
Speaker 1: Well, I just I don't. I I don't. Look, given all the things Sean Hannity has said about Lebron that I find to be in inaccurate on their face and wildly unfair, I think going on that turf and doing this was and now and again in steven A's defense there, it didn't look like he knew that question was coming, and he didn't spend a lot of time on it. You know, I think he was on there to give more political comment, which is a whole nother discussion. But whatever, all right, I guess while we're here to Monsey with you know, Nick Wright Media Corner, I mean, forty five minutes of the podcast, I've talked golf and you know, made people I really like and care about in my profession probably angry with me. Let's go ahead and finish it off.
Speaker 3: Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, So you called out NFL insiders for prioritizing who was going to make the deals or what was going on around the deals, as opposed to what actually happened.
Speaker 3: In the deals. I guess they were being messy going.
Speaker 1: On no, it's no, no, no, it's it's here's the deal. I don't know when this started, but in the last couple of years, during NFL free agency or during any contract negotiation, the last words of any tweet from our NFL insiders are as negotiated by and then Drew Rosenhaus athletes first, Dandy, Nicole Lynn, whatever the agents and it is that is I, here is my and I'll be quick on this. Here is my Cliff's notes. Take the reason you cultivate these relationships to get the information and the reason you will scratch somebody's back. Oh you you know you assistant general manager tipped me off about a trade. Well at the end of the year, when I'm on TV talking about potential hot general manager candidates might drop your name. Oh you agent gave me this contract detail, so I had it first, I, you know, will make you know I might share some info that I have with you. That is journalism very often is transactional in that way. I understand that I am not naive to that. However, what the journalist is supposed to get is accurate information to give to the public. Here kind of is the flow. The team front office and the agent do a deal. The journalist has a relationship with someone involved to where they are trusted to get the deal info. They give that deal info to the fans who really want to know the actual info. That's the where it's supposed to go. What it has kind of turned into is team and agent make a deal that the whole world is gonna find out about when the team announces it in a half hour. Journalist wants to be first by minutes, very often seconds on Twitter. Agent then says, I'll give it to you if you report it under these exact terms and this exact language. And then the consumer, who in theory is the person trying like that the journalist supposed to be servicing, gets fucking tricked. It's like, wait, we gave him, how much? What's the guarantee? How long is the contract? Is it the most in team history? Is he the highest paid? We don't know? And then we gotta wait days for like Florio to post the actual contract. The whole thing's been polluted, and there wasn't What set me off about it was And I'm not trying to protect anyone here, but I just don't. I don't want to get this wrong. And so I'm not gonna say the names because I don't actually remember which two reporters it was. But there was a pretty just nothing burger signing that from a couple days ago, that two reporters who worked for two different entities, not colleagues, not like Rapport and Pelasaro, who called themselves the insiders, like their partner or whatever. And very often sharin Fo posted word for word the exact same tweet simultaneously. And I'm like, so the agent is just writing the tweet for you to send, and you just copy pastings, putting it out there like that's that's not what this is and it's why so, and and you might say, what does it really matter? Well, there there is like here, I'll give you an older one, but a real impact of one of these DeVante Adams traded to the law to the Las Vegas Raiders. This is years ago, and the contract shatters the wide receiver record for salary. It's thirty million dollars per year. That is reported. Okay, tyreek Kill sees that tells the chiefs, I want thirty million a year, and the chiefs end up having to trade. DeVante adams deal was not thirty million a year because the final two years, which were thirty six and thirty eight million seventy four million of the deal were totally fake and that's why he just got cut. So but to the world, oh no, Devonte Adams reset the market. He didn't. That was not real info, or at least it was info with totally devoid of context. Now that's not me crying as chiefs and the Tyreek Kill trade end up being one of the greatest transactions the team's made. I don't think they win the next two Super Bowls if they don't do it. But it's just the job is to not be first, credit the agent and mislead the audience. None of that's the job.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So at this point, say do you want to break it first? He was like, none, that's part of the job. Like, you probably still want to break it first, But ethically, well.
Speaker 1: What you what is first? First to actually have the true details, or first to just have a vague piece of it so that you know what I mean. So here's here's what I My request would be. Just don't include the numbers till you have the details on them, because here's the thing. What do fans care about? Where'd the player go? Team player? Right? Die hards really do care about the money because it impacts salary cap all that stuff. Well, then you're not servicing the die hards if you're giving the money. But it's not the real money and it's not fully accurate. So just team player, team player, team player. Try to be first. And if you're not going to be first with at like the agents aren't going to feed you the info unless you agree to include the you know, the most optimistic version of the money and credit the agent, well then then then maybe you need to find another way to get the info. It's hard job. I don't deny it, but we're really misleading the audience. I don't think that's great demand. Say I'm gonna have no friends left. Everybody's just gonna be mad at me. Thank god the super Bowl didn't come around for another eleven months.
Speaker 3: But I'm in a rough spot.
Speaker 1: Takes on takes Minefield.
Speaker 3: It's on minefield.
Speaker 1: Now. I will tell you this is just last thing before you move on. I'm I'm going to Lakers Grizzlies in Memphis. I don't know if Lebron will be playing or not, but it's at the end of this month, and I not the just say it. I took some of those winnings from the poker this week and bought two true court side seats. And I do wonder is there a chance that there's just the bizarro version of the Lebron Stephen of the interaction of me and just caught on camera, just a big tap hug. What's going on? How's the family ole thing? Like, I do think it's I think it's on the board. I'm saying it's a favorite. I'm just saying it's on the board.
Speaker 3: I'd say likely.
Speaker 2: I think that at the very least interaction like he'll he'll see you and you guys have a.
Speaker 1: We have a relationship. We'll see. But but it's also so funny. So you know your mom's dear friend Jessica obviously, and Jessica and Nicole are in Memphis. So Jessica has really good season tickets to the Grizzlies, And when we said we were going, she was going to give me and your mom her two seats, and I I was like telling him Nicole, she and Nicole should keep those seats. You know they I don't want them to not.
Speaker 3: Court side.
Speaker 1: All fine tickets for you and me, baby, So this is how it's gonna go, because your sisters are going on the trip. So it's going to be me and your mom literal court side. What oh, Nicole and Jessica in their really good lower bowl seats, DOORA, Deanna and Jason up in the rafters. That's that's that's how, that's how this what's gonna go. Yeah, and so there, So we're gonna have, We're gonna have.
Speaker 3: Uh is gonna be a meeting point.
Speaker 1: I have a sight from all different all different areas. Who's scoring big in the NBA this season? You are with the all new, with all the new ways to get in on the action. Draftings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner in the NBA. From Monster Slams, dish in the rock, cleaning glass, get behind your favorite players and the prop bets you can make on DraftKings, the home of NBA player props. Ready to place your first bet? Try betting on something simple like picking how many points your favorite player will have. Go to the Draftings sports Book gap and make your pick. Guys, I'm killing you, I'm killing you. On Tuesday, I keyed in on Pelicans Clippers. I was like, Kawhi's being hot. You know, he's probably gonna come down to Earth. Zion I thought was gonna have a monster game. Zion did have a monster game, tripled Obel, but I had him over twenty three and a half points too many assists, not enough points, finished with twenty two. That's a loser. Kawhi under twenty three and a half points. He damnedar at thirty, so that was an O for two. So again I'm being totally transparent with you guys. I farmed this one out, I said, Demonse Daniel, Producers, Blue Ducks, somebody help me out here. They're looking at Cam Thomas, who's never seen a shot he doesn't like, over twenty three and a half and Steph Curry over twenty six and a half. So we got it. We gotta turn this these player props around lines and not subject change first time. Here's something special just for you new DraftKings customers bet five dollars to get one hundred three dollars in bonus bets instantly take it to the rack. DraftKings Sportsbook Every point Counts. Download DraftKings Sports Book app use code right. That's code right WRIGHD to get one hundred fty dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The crown is yours. Gambling problem call one eight hundred. Gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope in why, or text hope in why, which is four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven to seven, seven to seven, or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. Bonus betts expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKNG dot co slash b ball. All right, demanse, let's go to Aaron Rodgers. Then I do want to talk a little bit about the basketball from last night, and then a really cool throwback clip that I found. We don't have a ton of time here, but we'll we'll get it together, all right, Go ahead, Demanse.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, So for the first time in his career. Rogers is a free agent.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh, the Giants, and maybe a little bit of Minnesota. Those are the teams that seem to be a hawk him down. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: So here's what I think. I think that Aaron Rodgers knows exactly where he's going and exactly what he's doing, and Aaron Rodgers wants the attention, and I don't think that they are still negotiating. I think that he is the main character in his story and in every story, it would seem, and he, you know, likes that. Well, there's three teams right now, kind of in a bit of a two definitely in the Steelers and the Giants, and one may be in the Vikings that are waiting on him. I I don't understand the Vikings piece of it, Demonse. And here's why it doesn't make sense to me that they were like Daniel Jones, we'd like to give you around ten million dollars to back up JJ McCarthy, and then Daniel Jones went to Indianapolis and they're like, Okay, Aaron Rodgers, we'd like to give you forty million dollars to start in front of JJ McCarthy, Like those you know that it doesn't seem like if you were if they had tried to retain Sam Darnold and lost him and then they pivoted Darren Rodgers to be like, okay, that makes you know that's cogent thought, so to speak. This one doesn't make sense to me. And does you understand what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't I understand what you're saying, Like it's.
Speaker 1: It just seems like I'm looking for a car. I'm either gonna get a Miata Tutor or a Mini van. It's like, well, wait a minute, what are you trying to get out of this thing? Like the and so I just don't I don't follow it in that way, that's all. And so I don't know that he'll pick today. I really don't. I also will say this, the folks that believe the Steelers could be anything close to contenders with Aaron Rodgers, they weren't contenders last year with Russell Wilson. Aaron Rodgers at diappoint in his career is not better than Russell Wilson. I'm not saying he's worse. They're about the same. Like, and I know they added George Pickens, but man, that feels so combustible. Pickens and Metcalf and Rogers like, I don't, I don't. I don't love that at all. All right, let's do OKAC Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the two conference favorites they faced off last night and Tatum cooked. He had thirty three, eight and eight. Boston also shot sixty three threes. I think it was like thirty six at the at the halftime or something like that. Yeah, but yeah, what enough Sga the flopper? He yeah, he had thirty four points and ten having free throws. Yeah, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: So listen, okay sees awesome. Yeah, and there is no denying listen with respect to Cleveland, I think okay se has been the best team in the league so far this year, and they're now too. And oh against Boston, they have incredible depth. You remember when we were in LA for Thanksgiving, we went you didn't go, but we went to Lakers Thunder and I came back after that and said, man, they just said wave after wave after wave of defender at you. And Shay has just been better and better and better ice and yesterday we still they did that without Jalen Williams. And so you have to be wildly impressed by what they did there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jalen Brown also had a freaking stinker. I don't know what was going on with JV, but.
Speaker 1: So he did. But that also speaks to the point that I made, which is the sweet spot of NBA superstardom is the Jalen Brown Devin Booker tier where you get paid as much as anybody. When you're awesome and you shut the slow down Luca and you have a sweet donk, people are like, man, that guy's great, and when you have ten points in this game, nobody cares.
Speaker 3: Oh so yeah, listen. I was just telling him. I honestly think Derek White is the second best player on the team.
Speaker 2: I trust the ball and Derick White's hands so much better than I trusted in Jalen Brown.
Speaker 3: Like I get nervous.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say I'm like, oh my gosh, he's gonna do something stupid. But I'm just like, when Derek White has the ball, I noticed that he makes the better He just always makes the right decision, and I don't think he gets caught up in is dribbling. I love Derek White, but I don't think he gets enough credit.
Speaker 1: But Listen, that's the that's a hell of a take. I'd have to like, he doesn't seem to ever make mistakes. I do. I do think that's right. I don't think he has the responsibility Jalen Brown has. But for the Thunder, it is still fair to be like, until they do it, I'm gonna question if they can do it. And you called Shaye the flopper, Listen, Shae can really really manipulate the refs in a way that is super effective and super beneficial, and it is a skill and more power to them are.
Speaker 3: The refs watching the games back on TV.
Speaker 1: In real time. The same thing people said with Harden and all that stuff. But here's the thing about that guy. Those players usually struggle a bit in the playoffs because you don't get all those calls and you've gotten used to it. One of the reasons, sorry to turn everything to Lebron, but one of the reasons Lebron is one of the rare players. Lebron, Jordan, Luca, Shack, there's you know, a few, but Kobe wasn't one of them. Durants now, Durant, Durant probably close steph though, is not one of these guys who have unbelievable regular season numbers and their playoff numbers across the board get a little bit better. One of the reasons that's the case for Lebron is Lebron gets such a shitty whistle in the regular season, the playoff whistle doesn't impact him negatively. He's used to it, like and so the harden Embiid will see about Shay guys who get this unbelievable regular season whistle. So listen, the Thunder deserve all the credit in the world, but it's allowed to be a little skeptical of them. Boston. I know everyone's going to be like, Boston shoots too many threes, and I don't love it. Stylistically, they're they're defending champs and they're the favorites to win the title. Like it, it does seem to be effective. Sixty three is, you know, the most they've ever shot. So that's that's not even that's not standard even for them.
Speaker 2: I mean, we were down in the entire time, were trying to shoot threes to get out of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, but you are getting blown out or out and so I would not be shocked if this is a finals preview. I do think though, that if the Lakers are healthy, they can clip Okay, Sae, and it's really looking like that's a likely second round matchup. No, man, if we could get somehow this second round Eastern Conference Calves Bucks, Celtics Knicks that just need the bracket to hold Western Conference thunder Lakers, and we need one upset for this next thing, and then Nuggets Warriors that'd be an all time second round man all the time. What are you shaking your head about going through those?
Speaker 2: I don't know, that's oh, I was shaking my head because it was a Celtics, No Celtics Knicks. I would love that, I mean because we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys crush them. But I just think it'd be a good be a good matchup. All right. I there, I was sent a truly unbelievable clip that I hope demand is not yet heard because I want to see his real reaction, real time reaction. Have you heard this yet, Demanse, Yeah, I mean I listened to it. Okay, all right, Well that's fine. We'll do that in just a second. But first, this episode of What's Right is brought to you by daya pizza featuring dairy free cheese made with the new DAYA oat cream blend. Dairy free cheese come a long way, and DAYA is leading the charge. Their pizzas off for the Melton stretch traditional cheese without any dairy. Each day A Pizza starts with a perfectly crisp crust, layered with savory, satisfying toppings, finished with cheese that melts and stretches beautifully. The DEAA oat cream blend delivers a creamy, cheesy texture that's indistinguishable from dairy based options. Every pizzas craft to be dairy free, making a great choice for anyone seeking more inclusive meal options without compromising on taste. DAA takes the concept of dairy free to a new level, eliminating faux MoU not the fear of cows, that is the fear of missing dairy. These pizzas delivered delicious taste and texture, making them perfect for any occasion, from casual dinners to game day spreads. Enjoy a foam move free pizza night with DAYA. Visit dayafoods dot com for more information, or find DAYA Pizza at retailers like Whole Foods, Kroger, and Walmart. Coming soon to select publics and sprouts. Follow daya on Instagram and TikTok for more updates and recipes. All right, we're going to wrap the show on this. This was sent to me. I had forgotten about this before the twenty seventeen NFL Draft, before First Things First Yet existed. Chris Carter and I filled in for Colin Cowherd and we interviewed a few of the draft prospects. One of them was a potential first round pick out of Texas Tech named Patrick mahomes I. And here is one of the questions I asked him. Listen to his answer, Patrick, I've got a son who's around your age, just a little bit younger than you, and I did something with him that I want to do with you. Right now, you're not driving.
Speaker 3: Are you no, sir?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Ten years from now, close your eyes. Think about it. In a perfect world, everything goes great. You are doing exactly what you want to do. Take me ten years from now. Describe where you are and what you don't have to tell me a city, but describe what your life is ten years from this moment.
Speaker 3: Ten years from now, I hope to have a family, a wife and a kid, or maybe two and I'm playing in the NFL, one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL and have a couple of Super Bowl championships with me.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, so like that, So you already know your endpoint. Man. So now that you know your endpoint, every fork in the road, every decision you make, just keep in mind that's the end point you're trying to get to. Where people screw up, at least my sec is they don't know where they're trying to get to. So you get to fork in the road and you don't know do I go left right? But Patrick just said it's got a wife and kids, So I guess that means he's got to, you know, be hitting the dating scene in the off season a little bit, I guess. And he got a couple quarters and got a couple Super Bowl championship, still playing in the league. He already knows where he's going. He's got to figure out how to get there.
Speaker 3: Step one, download Tinder.
Speaker 1: So that is remarkable by Patrick that he set the goals that high and exceeded all of them. He said one or two kids, he's at three. I didn't know obviously when I was saying hit the dating scene that he was in a serious relationship. Yeah, you know what I mean that he had the woman in mind. He had the woman in mind, and he said one of the best quarterbacks in the league with a couple championships, he's the best quarterback in the league and has three. I mean, that is a really really cool thing. And then the also him. Yeah, right, so that was eight years ago. It was eight years ago, So that was, Uh, that was I had no recollection of that. Isn't that amazing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's truly awesome. I got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that that was really cool. So I don't know if he I'm gonna I'm gonna send if we put out that clip right there, a little throwback Thursday. Also again, folks who accuse me of hair plugs or anything, look closely at that video. You see I have a full hairline. I just have a shaved head. I don't look like a guy who lost his hair. Look, this idea is everywhere you can see doesn't matter. Point is uh Yeah, I mean that's not a guy who's bald, that's a guy who shaved his head. Wasn't the greatest look.
Speaker 3: I would say he could lose that one. Probably don't ever want to get back to that one unless you have to.
Speaker 1: The but regardless, I don't know. My guess is Patrick doesn't remember that either. But if we put out that clip, I'll send it to him. That was really cool. Good for him, all right, good job demands, Good job everybody. Thank you to Blue Duck, thank you to the folks at the volume, thank you, DraftKings, thank you to the listeners. I don't think any emergency pods this weekend. I need to actually catch up and sleep at some point. TV show in three hours. See you guys there. What's right