Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to Drilled. I'm Amy Westervelt. In this season, we are going chapter by chapter of a great new book that pulls together all of the social science that we have so far peer reviewed social science on climate obstruction globally. It's called Climate Obstruction a Global Assessment. It's been pulled together by the Climate Social Science Network at Brown, which includes hundreds of social scientists working all over the world on trying to understand this issue. Today we are digging into a subject that is near and dear to my heart, the role of pr and media in climate obstruction. And to do that, I'm joined by two people who have been guests on this show before, Melissa Aronchek at Rutgers University and Max Boykoff from the University of Colorado at Boulder. We had a great conversation about the role that media plays both in helping to shape the public's understanding of climate and therefore the role it can play in obstruction, especially if it is targeted by bad faith actors, which it often is. It is a super interesting conversation. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. That's coming up right after this quick break.
Speaker 2: My name is Max Boycott. I'm a professor here in environmental studies and a fellow in the Cooperative Institute for Research and Environmental Sciences at the University of Colorado Bowlder in the US.
Speaker 3: I'm Melissa Aaronjik. I'm a professor in the School of Communication and Information at Rutgers University in New Jersey.
Speaker 1: So I've probably talked to both of you about this separately before, but it does seem to me that the media fin avoids responsibility for climate obstruction or for playing any kind of a role in it. I think you show really clearly hear how it's kind of been used as a tool. So I want to kind of start by having you explain how, particularly the weaponization of this journalistic norm balanced reporting has contributed to the disparity between scientific consensus and the public's understanding of climate change.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm happy to start us off, and if you'll allow me to back out just a little bit to answer that question. And I think if we look back through time we can track in our group, the Media Climate Change Observatory has done this where we've tracked media coverage of climate change over time, and it really came into public consciousness and into the news starting the late nineteen eighties, and when that was happening, it was a new story to tell, and there a lot of different journalists and actors trying to make sense of what was going on and how to tell these stories. And as time went on, though, there was you know, in the late nineteen eighties was the establishment of the IPCC, the and a governmental pedaloid climate change. There was increasing understanding within the scientific community that humans contribute to climate change. And so from that period of time, journalism, as we've tracked it through various studies, had tried to make sense of that. And as they did that, and as they started to drawn expert voices and others to give them a sense of where science was on human contributions to climate change, journalists leaned back into their journalistic norms, including the journalistic normal balanced reporting, which one perspective to get another and help reader or the viewer the listener makes sense of what's going on. And so some early research that I had done with my brother, Jules Boykoff, who's at Pacific University and Political Science, we had just taken a look at how had US media been covering it from that time in the late nineteen eighties through at that point in two thousand and two when we finished up the study, and while there had been that conversion agreement in the scientific community and that had been communicated clearly through Dinner Governmental Panel and climate change assessments, that we had found that the journalistic community had continued to tell this quote unquote balance story and in so doing had perpetrated an informational bias and actually skewed the conversations in the public arena. And you know, part of the reason that we make those claims, and then others have also been looking at this Ober time, is that you know, quite frankly, people don't pick up peer review literature of the IPCC assessment reports. They rely on news coverage to help make sense of what's going on around them, and so news become this important bridge and this powerful driver of public conversation station. There has been a learning going on, a maturation or just sort of an integration of new understanding within the journalistic community. So we had put out that study, it actually gained traction. It ended up in al Gore's and Inconvenient Truth just briefly mentioned, so it got a lot more attention and journalists some were very eager to think carefully and recalibrate how they're telling these stories through their own reporting. Others, you know, weren't quite as receptive to that messaging and critique. But nonetheless, you know, we did some follow up work years later and found that that coverage had improved it, you know, when we looked it's with another collection of researchers here, led by Lucy mckelister. When we looked at it again in twenty twenty one, we found that there had been tremendous improvements in US press along with UK, Australian, Canadian and New Zealand newspapers. But there it still isn't one hundred percent. And so you know, the way in which we went about it to look at the unit of analysis being each newspaper article. We can still see there's this room for improvement. But if somebody's picking up the paper and reading a very influential piece that isn't accurate, that is still falling, whether unwittingly or wittingly, to this sort of quote unquote balanced reporting that they themselves then start to get a skewed views. Still to this very day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I've ever told either or maybe both of you this story. But I had I had this experience directly with I was a stringer at the Washington Post for a while, and like, because where I lived, that meant covering a lot of wildfires. And I went, I covered a fire once and the cal fire chief told me, give me this like very simple explanation for why fires were burning for so much longer now than they had. And this was, I mean, this wasn't that long ago. This was probably like twenty fifteen ish, and and he said, you know, are you from California. I said yes, And he said, well, you probably remember when you were growing up that you would like go to bout at night and the fire would be twenty percent contained, and you'd wake up in the morning and it would be like sixty percent contained or at least fifty. And I said, yeah, that was that was the norm, you know. And he said, yeah, that's how it used to work because it would get cool and humidity would increase at night. And now that doesn't happen anymore. So these fires are burning like the same intensity twenty four to seven and that's why they're getting so big, and that's climate change. And I was like, wow, what a great, like simple way to understand that. And I put it on this story and my editor, who at the time was the national editor of the Washington Post, suggested taking out the part where he said that's climate change because and his comment was, this is a wildfire story, not a politics story. I said, like, I had been a climate reporter for a long time, so I knew enough to kind of push back on that and say, well, you know, that's an industry talking point. There's nothing political about what he's saying, you do, and he like, O, listen to me and let me keep it in. But the average person that's just like getting sent off to you know, cover a flutter of fire, is not necessarily going to feel confident, you know, saying oh, you're wrong, it's not political. But like, you know, I don't think that that guy was being hounded by exon every day. It was just so ingrained in him that like, I don't know, I think of it every time I think about this, because it's it was such a simple way that that stuff like creeps in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, Obviously the media is not coming up with this stuff on their own. What entities are working to serve up misleading climate narratives to the media or ensure that people who are like spokespeople for the industry or who carry water for them and their ideas are given a voice in the media.
Speaker 3: Well, are you asking Amy about public relations firms outages looking for fossil fuel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the like broad ecosystem of like people that are approaching the media with these narratives or talking points. I would think of PR firms maybe like internal PR folks, companies, prink tanks, I think are doing a fair bit, you know, that whole ecosystem.
Speaker 3: What does it look like. Well, one thing we need to think about is the network of influence. That's really something that has taken us a while to really get our thinking around. And I think, you know, we're still finding connections that we didn't really know existed, which is kind of amazing. At least since the nineteen seventies, we have started to see connections among not just media platforms and people who set the agenda in the media, but think tanks, research centers, private donors, lobbyists, and lawyers PR firms. We're starting to get better and better evidence of this network, and both journalists and researchers are uncovered just how far back these relationships of denial go. But I do think it's also important to remember that we're you know, all of those groups I just mentioned operate in society and that society in general, and really, you know, if we just again zoom out from fossil fuels per se and just look at our entire consumer society, the way our lifestyles are set up right now, the status quo is one in which fossil fuels play a very big role, and it's very hard for people to imagine alternatives, especially when we don't see a lot of presentation of those alternatives in public communication. So it's a very vast and really has been for a long time, very intractable problem that we've been trying to work through.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely, I mean we can draw links directly from through the structures from who owns a lot of the corporate media. But then also, as you mentioned, Mellissa, that just the pr the way that these firms are so influential, the way they play roles in the network developing strategy, we really get immersed if you're watching commercial television just with all kinds of marketing and imagery and assertions that can at times be seen as greenwashing. But then on top of that, you know, at the very core, we're primed to fall into this because we've got a lot of other things that we want to focus in on. We don't have to worry about it. And so when this sort of apparatus, when it flows through courses, through the veins of our lives, we take it. We're ready for it. Would just say all right, let's focus in on other things. And so this apparatus gives us that opportunity to not have to face it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned four key contrarian viewpoints that are amplified by the media, and I wonder if I could have you name those and talk about how you or the research that you were looking at honed in on those four Yeah.
Speaker 3: One really influential source for thinking about these four viewpoints these kind of arguments for climate delay comes from the scholar William Lamb and collaborators. It's in the academic Journal of Global Sustainability, and it's really become a go to source for a lot of us. They have this fantastic chart which summarizes the argument, so it's very useful. So the first argument for climate delay is to suggest that someone else should take actions first, so in other words, redirecting responsibility for the problem away from themselves, which in this case would often be a fossil fuel company onto somebody else. So the classic one is suggesting that consumers themselves, individuals themselves should take actions to address climate change, you know, recycle for instance. The second argument has to do with saying that we can't mitigate climate change. It's simply not possible. You have to just kind of give in to the fact that it's never going to happen. And you've seen a lot of arguments like that, especially by climate deni as saying, you know, change is just impossible. We can't change our current way of life, we can't do that, or saying it's basically a catastrophe and you know, doom and bloom apocalypse, there's nothing to be done. There's a third argument, which is actually a little more insidious, where fossil fuel companies will push non transformative solutions. That's how Lamb and his collaborators put it. And you know, this one's insidious because it seems like solutions are just around the corner, but in fact these solutions are very problematic and often really backwards. One would be to say future technologies are going to solve the problem, so you know, we don't have to worry now because in the future we'll have AI solving climate change. These kind of very vague, very always future focused ideas for how the problem will be solved. Another one is to say you can't restrict or regulate companies because then they won't be able to come up with solutions for climate change, so you have to kind of give them time to figure it out. Yet again, this future facing solutionism. Again, these are problematic because they seem like, back to what Max was saying a moment ago, they seem to make us feel better, and they make us feel like we don't have to do anything that you know, companies have. It's kind of the opposite from the redirect responsibility frame anyway. And then the last one is about emphasizing all of the problems with the solutions that are being proposed that are viable. So, for instance, you've got a solution in mind which involves social justice, but you know that means that vulnerable members of our society might have to bear the brunt of the solutions, So we can't do that. We need solutions that work for everyone. Otherwise we shouldn't have solutions at all. So these discourse types to be fancy shows this tendency among actors of disinformation to actually move away from overt denial, like moving away from saying climate change isn't happening, it's not real, and having more subtle tactics to just undo or delegitimate climate solutions just by saying that they're not going to work for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 2: It could be a good opportunity to just to point out that Melissa and I were leading on this chapter where we were essentially pulling together a lot of the current research to help us understand how this discourse is being steered through news, social media, advertising, public relations, and we led on this chapter, but Trav Cone, Maanelas, and Hannah Morris and Chris Russell also contributed to this. So it was a great opportunity for us to pull together this kind of research from William Lamb and colleagues and others to help provide a bit more of a cogent picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that study. The graphic so simple, but like it's so helpful. Okay, so you mentioned social media there Obviously, the media itself has gone through quite a few pretty big transitions over the last couple decades. How have those transitions contributed to the ability of corporations and PR firms and these other entities that you've mentioned to really kind of hijack the new even more, or push even legacy media to kind of amplify these sorts of talking points.
Speaker 3: Well, it will be no surprise to anyone if I say that in the Western hemisphere, at least in the global North, our media are in crisis, especially news media, and even more in trouble our legacy news media such as radio and newspapers, which are dealing with economic and political crises as well as extreme political polarization, which has shattered the sense among a lot of the public that our news outlets provide fact based and reliable information. That's kind of the current picture. But it has been quite a while now that oil and gas producers and their collaborators have actively worked with both legacy news and social media platforms, as well as PR firms and advertising agencies to promote disinformation that obstricts climate policy. Max talked about the news balance, but we've also seen how oil and gas companies do source building with journalists to promote their industry point of view and news coverage. But then, of course we also have social media where there's less of an intermediary or date keeping function, so oil and gas companies can pretty much post whatever they want. Not to mention blogs, instant messaging, and because our mainstream media is under corporate control, and because their business model needs advertising revenue to stay afloat, it has also become harder and harder for news to remain separate from promotional content. Yes, I don't you know, there's even more we could say. We talk about this in the chapter for the book. We have these newer kinds of threats with emerging digital technologies and social media. Because now disinformation campaigns can operate at a massive scale and scope, they can target certain groups much more precisely. You have technology companies and their platforms that let powerful actors shape information in ways that lack accountability. And on top of everything else, we have the explosion of artificial intelligence, which is changing at day and is incredibly difficult to detect and predict. Not to mention the environmental costs of AI use, the energy consumption generated by AI, the waste generated by AI systems, especially data centers, which contribute to greenhouse gas emissions and environmental pollution. So we've got like a I was going to say a triple threat, but I think this is like an octuple threat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are definitely several dynamics that and they're pointing in discouraging directions. It means you've pointed out, Melissa, that there's been increasing consolidation. Some of the media mergers and acquisitions and everything that are going on just kind of feel beyond us as everyday people. Skydance is merging with Paramount, and what does that mean for Colbert and what does that mean for the news? I get it's getting just bigger and bigger all the time. And as we look around, we can see that our local independent news are strained. Just some of the recent decisions from the Trump administration have put even further strain on these news sources. And so we've across this country, across the world, we've got many news deserts. So people are increasingly reliant on these corporate media sources to make sense of what's going on in the world, and that's through legacy media. As Melissa's pointed out, once you get into social media, gets even more confusing with algorithms and the blending. Even some of your work amy has found its way into our chapter where you've pointed out this confusion that can take place between straight news reporting and some advertising that's going on from these carb based industry players. And so while there are definitely a lot of dynamics at play, it's discouraging and challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if you've looked at or if there's any research yet, or if it's maybe too early on this around the way that influencers are sort of replacing reporters, Like I see this all the time, even I have an intern right now who was.
Speaker 3: Like, do you know this guy blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I get all my news from him, and I looked him up and he's like one of these people who sort of reads headline in videos, which is all well and good, except that, like, if those people end up getting all the funding and all the audience, then there won't be any reporters writing the stuff for them to read anymore. I just see this huge shift in like the credibility that people are ascribing to influencers for what appears to be no rhyme or reason, and it's not like these people are like, hey, listen to me, I'm very credible for these reasons. It's just like some random guy anyway.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you guys have looked at that, but it's freaking me out.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: That problem first became really clear to me when I was teaching an undergraduate class on media and politics a few years ago and we had this assignment that I gave them where I said the student had to identify the source of the media they were looking at, and their answers were things like Facebook or well, probably not, because nobody under the age of twenty five books of Facebook, but you know, social media were listed as the source for these students, and I said, no, no, I don't mean where you saw it. I mean the original source. And they really didn't know what I was talking about. And that's when it hit me that the way our media platforms are organized, the way we access information online is really not the way we people of my generation used to access or understand. So the source is not nearly as relevant to younger people as the content itself and the way it's presented. So that you know, if we're talking about a space where influencers come to have a lot more credibility. That really does have to do with what's getting put in front of people, and that in itself has to do with how algorithms work, and how prior usage patterns work, and how the location of the individual works. We know about all of these data points that inform what kind of information is put in front of people, and so an influencer who might froughten your attention at some other time for some other completely different topic suddenly seems like somebody much more reliable and trust worth than a source you don't know. And that proximity in time and space to you is really problematic when it comes to information about complex, scientific and highly polarized issues like climate chain.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm finding that too with students I work with my kids. As they're getting older, you know, they'll say, oh, same new sources, new sources, YouTube, new sources, TikTok, right, And so my experiences have been similar. And that's a demographic shift that we ought to be talking more about. But on top of that, I'd say, relevant to you know, what we're talking about here as well, is that there's been documentation that now oil companies have been hiring these TikTok influencers court young people. Yeah, they are the pathways forward, and so the savvy pr firms, advertising firms, carbon based industry actors themselves are getting into this. So you're what we're sensing together is definitely something that's deliberate and that it is going on.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had some really really interesting references to new research around this kind of persistent intersection between a certain type of conservative identity and climate contrarianism. I know, the first paper I ever read on that that I still love because I think it's the funniest title ever is the Cool Dude's Paper from it Wrighte and Dunlaver.
Speaker 3: But you have some really new stuff that's really interesting.
Speaker 1: I would love to have you guys just unpack that and why this is such a persistent connection between this particular identity and climate contriianism.
Speaker 2: We do get into some of the contours of what's been developing more recently new research that work. There's a whole group of work by Riley Dunlop and Aaron mccrite that's been really and really pathbreaking in the early days of getting a handle on who are these climate conturions, what are their motives? How are they effectively obstructing climate action, climate pulsy action, greater engagement. And when you refer to that emyre, the cool Dude's piece just refers to maybe colloquially older white guys who are very influential in these spaces. And some of them, you know, are microblogging on Twitter x even Blue Sky and others massed on for a little bit there. They're you know, sometimes maybe just sitting in their basements and they're comfortable suburban homes. And these folks demographically may not be at the forefront of climate impacts like many others. And so there's been research that's followed on theirs. I've done some myself where I've gone to the Heartland Institute meetings about a decade apart and sought to make sense of who they are, what are their motivations. So that finds its way into our chapter. Another kind of layer of this is that we've we've documented in this chapter a lot of good research that's been done that's been tracking how it is much more evident and influential within certain countries with ties to fossil fuel industry. And reliance on fossil fuels. Matthew Hornsey and colleagues have done some really good work that compares and contrasts these discourses across countries. So there's places like the United States where the belly of the beast in a certain way, the UK, Australia, certain elements of Brazil around food consumption and fossil fuels, they have much more vocal and I guess legible audible climate contrarian groups collections which can be you know, cacaphanous at times, but the overall goals of distracting, delaying, denying the facts and the evidence around this, there are through lines there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. I didn't realize there was actual research on this that amongst the developed countries or more developed countries, that the UK and the US really stand out as being places where media really continues to give a platform to climate skepticism. So again, i'd love to have you kind of talk about the research on that and share your thoughts on why that might be.
Speaker 3: I do think a big part of that just you know, again, I think we have to understand the background or the structural or systemic issue here. So I do think a big part of that has to do with the ownership structure of so many news outlets in the UK and the US and who's so the question of who owns the media becomes really salient here. But another issue that affects the way we think about how the UK and the US stand out as giving a platform for skepticism is simply that there's a lot more research out there about the UK and the US than about other parts of the world. So it's not just that American and British media platforms enables skepticism, which they do, but that we know much more about it there than we do about what's going on in other places. And I really want to underline that as a very big challenge when you're writing, as we did for as a contribution to this book, a Global Assessment of Climate Obstruction. It just I think one takeaway that we had from working on this chapter was that we really need better and more sustained research all over the world to recognize how some of the climate skeptic frames and platforms and styles are being exported to other parts of the world, or how we are getting imported from other parts of the world. Various kinds of climate skepticism but we just don't know as much as we need to in some parts of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been working more and more with reporters in Uganda, Tanzania, Mozambique, and especially in Uganda and Tanzania. I was really surprised at how much it had been like really drilled into them the like very old school false equivalence thing, you know of, like if you quote a scientist about climate change, then you have to talk to I don't know, like the government person in charge of petroleum contractors too. Made.
Speaker 3: I was just going to mention something that one of our co authors, Mayana Laws and has been really focusing on that relates to this question, which is about how emerging analyzes of climate coverage in places like Brazil might make few references to climate skepticism. But that could be because they're not focusing on fossil fuel emissions, but they are focusing on things like carbon pollution from agriculture or other land use practices. So I think that's just something else to keep in mind when we're talking about climate skepticism. It might sometimes certain stories might fall outside of the purview of research on climate skepticism, but it is climate skepticism. It just might look different in the news piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Melissa, you make great points, and just from referencing Mayena, that's she's an example of you know, she has been really influential in helping tell these stories out of Brazil. And we need many more researchers like Maena and others to come together so that we can tell these stories more comprehensively. So this book itself, you know, our chapter contribution to it, a larger project is trying to take a step forward and more systematically understanding how these dynamics play out in various times and spaces and that. But it is stunning, you know, given the amount of funding and capacity that there is within these pr agencies, within advertising, within news reporting that shapes the stories that we get on a daily basis, that we don't have a larger, more coordinated effort to understand all these dynamics from a social sciences perspective, from humanities and how that relates to the natural physical sciences.
Speaker 1: The most recent IPCC report was the first to include social sciences and the first to really note this stuff as a huge blocker to policy action. And Max, I know I've talked to you about this before, so I won't have you repeat like an hour's worth of stuff. But yeah, I just am curious, like, why do you think it took so long for the IPCC to start looking at this as part of the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is a good question. As we've grown to understand more about climate change, it's not a single issue. We're increasingly recognizing that it's a set of intersecting challenges that flow through every aspect of our lives, meeting our livelihood needs and everything else, and in so doing, we need to understand it from not just physical biological perspectives, but human behavior perspectives. And there have been social scientists that have come on board and been a part of some of the previous IPCC reports, but this really was a big step forward with some of us that were invited along. So I was a contributing author to that most recent IPCC report. And so when you ask that question, I mean, I think the kind of simple answer is because there were folks like me and me included to bring the very thoroughly researched work that we're talking about in this chapter and this larger book into the pages of the IPCC. But I think a bigger part of that is just that more folks from different disciplines, seeing this as an integrative, interdisciplinary set of challenges, are being invited in to help provide those insights through the thoroughly researched work that's going on out there, and so it is a step forward. You know, they're selecting authors for the next one. We could possibly debate for a full hour about the wisdom of another big assessment report years and off, while we need to do a lot interim. But having said that, they're selecting authors for the next one, I hope that continues to flow into these pages. And the work that we talk about in the chapter that we capture that's in the larger reports themselves actually didn't make it into the summary for policy makers, and that too, we could talk about for quite a while. But there's still a lot of work to do to make this much more legible and to make this a larger conversation through the IPCC.
Speaker 1: Okay, Melissa, I feel like this is going to be your best question, which is about the pr firms.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 1: Description of them as sort of the glue joining carbon based industries, media organizations, and economic sectors using collisions campaigns and other coordinated processes to question the efficacy of science, news and institutions engaging climate related issues. Again, this is one I know you could spend many hours talking about. Can I have you give a little bit of an overview of the role that PR firms play here. If you want to talk about advertising firms too, that's fine. Maybe the difference between them, because I feel like they get conflated a lot. Maybe there's not that much difference between them anymore. I don't know, anyway, over to you.
Speaker 3: So, the most important thing I learned when I started researching the role of AD agencies and PR firms and climate disinformation is that these firms are not just mouthpieces for their fossil fuel clients. They are coming up with the strategies, They are creating messages, They are developing the relationships with news media and other organizations who are friendly to their cause. For a long time, climate researchers only focused on the fossil fuel companies themselves, and that was relevant and necessary. So we now have a lot more information about what Exxon does, or what Shell does, or what VP does. But lately journalists and researchers have started paying a lot more attention to the consultants and strategists who come up with the positioning for these fossil fueld companies and who play key roles in managing these companies media image and their marketing and strategic plan. I do want to mention that there is a very important pioneer of this kind of research who's name as John Stauber of the Center for Media and Democracy in Wisconsin. He founded that center back in nineteen ninety three, and in nineteen ninety five he wrote this book which I think has the best name that any book like this could have, which is called Toxic Sludge Is Good for You, which was an expose of the PR firms involved in environmental disinformation. And I mentioned that because that really was a very important guide that came out at a time when most of us were looking the other way. It really has helped later researchers and journalists think about this. So a second major finding that we have about the role of PR firms and AD agencies in climate disinformation is that these firms are embedded in a very wide ecosystem of influence. We mentioned this well earlier in our conversation, but just important to remember PR firms and ad agencies are doing work for not only fossil fuel companies, but also their trade associations, industry councils and science advisory councils, for think tanks and research institutes, ENGOs, foundations, Chambers of commerce, organizational boards. I mean, the list goes on, and the important thing that really came to me is that these firms play several roles in keeping this network together. This is the glue part. One of the things that these PR firms and other consultants do is intelligence gathering across different industries as well as inside the environmental community. So you'll have PR firms hiring people who used to work at government agencies working on environmental issues or from other organizations that influence public policy on environment or climate and energy issues. Another thing these PR firms will do is conduct industry friendly research that help clients promote their viewpoints in the media. So there's a massive production of scientific material, legal material, and technical material to circulate in the media. So, like you said, Amy, I could really go on for several more hours about this, but I just really want to communicate that these firms are not just about spin. There's so much more going on and they deserve all of the attention that we've been trying to give to them over the last few years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has written up a lot of great research on this and a book fit is worth checking out for all your listeners. Yes, just to maybe animate this with a very recent example. You know, Edelman, big influential ad agency that's helped promote fossil fuels with various companies as clients, has just been hired by cop thirty in Brazil to with the strategy. So these things are happening and circulating all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, I was just reading about that. Okay, we talked a little bit about social media and digital but can I have you hone in on the digital platforms in particular and sort of structurally, what is going on with them with respect to spreading disinformation around and what are people trying to do.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, yes, digital platforms are very troubling sources of climate disinformation. In fact, some have argued that digital platforms are actually completely complicit in spreading climate denial because they do such a terrible job of monitoring the content on their sites in the name of you know, they want to avoid so called censorship, or they say they're just technology companies and not media companies, so they're not responsible for the content on their sites. They also take ads from fossil fuel companies. We have one report we talk about in the chapter that estimates that Google alone received twenty three point seven million dollars between twenty twenty and twenty twenty two from the five largest oil companies in the world to promote their advertising. We can also really level our sites at meta slash Facebook, which has overridden its own independent fact checkers for climate science. It has also allowed fossil fuel companies to purchase misleading ads. And another real problem that is posed by companies like Facebook is that they have a data sharing tool called crowd Tangle, which is traditionally relied upon by journalists and academics to analyze engagement with content on the platform, and they keep tweaking the data sharing tools so that it's less transparent and less useful for journalists and academics. So it's very hard to get a long term view of how engagement is changing over time, and it's very difficult to understand all the demographics and other data points that researchers need. So it's so it's yeah, it's really it really feels like the wild West. There's a group called Climate Action Against Disinformation CAD, which has done a lot of really interesting research in this area, and they've talked about how really the four big platforms of TikTok, Meta, YouTube, and X have become complicit in the spread of climate denial. And they put X out of those four last among platforms because of their absolute total absence of policies on climate disinformation, failing to effectively enforce whatever policies they do have, and total lack of public transparency.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty comprehensive answer. It's nice to hear listening to what you've laid out, Melissa. I mean, even if we were to say there's no deliberate malintent with all these big companies, even just as you had pointed out the absence of policies on just information the way in which you know, at the start of the year, Zuckerberg it said that they're getting rid of its fact checking policy and just starting some community board community notes. I should say that just the misinformation that proliferates because of the influence of these and the lack of intentional fact checking, amongst them is really troubling.
Speaker 1: I wonder if you both or either of you has a response to this very concerning trend of people recasting fact checking as censorship and like how that plays into this stuff.
Speaker 2: I may not answer that head on, but I think part of how we've then gotten into these places is that people like those within the academic research community haven't advocated adequately for facts and evidence and truths as they come about. And so that is a form of advocacy. It's advocacy of a sort. It's not advocating for particular policy actions or advocating for certain outcomes. But in the absence of that, we've allowed ourselves to devolve into this place where fact checking can be seen as, like you say, some kind of censorship, some kind of intervention, that that is unwanted and that curtails free speech. I mean, it's where things can turn on their head. But I think I find myself somewhat culpable and those within our communities for not advocating more strenuously for facts and evidence and for not helping others better understand these these uh, you know, the landscape of how this matters, how facts matter.
Speaker 3: Maybe I mean we should talk about rapid attribution because that's wine.
Speaker 1: It does kind of like blend into that. Yeah, what is what is rapid attribution? Let me have you define it? And then like how could it help with this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I heard about this idea through Jill Hopka's work. Others have spoken about it, but she has a great piece on this topic. The basic idea behind rapid attribution is to respond to misleading media content as quickly as possible. So this has to do with, of course, this incredible speed of the news cycle these days, and the fact that our attention is constantly pulled in a million different directions online. And if you contrast that with the academic research and publication cycle, I mean, there's just no contest. It's our research and publication cycle is incredibly slow. We work in cycles of years, not cycles of minutes. So what some researchers are calling for is a monitoring and rapid response service to provide facts, to provide accurate information to the public while they're thinking about the issue, not a year or two later. And so some have suggested that maybe academic researchers can take a page from nonprofit projects or even projects like Max's observatory groups like Max's Observatory, by working either more closely with those groups or working with other research centers to track and analyze digital media and social media disinformation as it happens and provide a researcher's lens on the response.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that old saying why I can travel around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. That these are efforts to try and close that feedback loop. They're improving, but even today and say print news journalism, if something is wrong, they print a correction the next day, it's still not adequate. There are many more efforts that are going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you have this very interesting section to me about how how these narratives shape not just people's understanding of the issues and how urgent they are, but also ambition on climate and I wonder if you could walk through that. I also wanted to ask you about a tendency for a lot of reporters who are on the climate beat to focus on just events based reporting. I feel like that kind of into this too.
Speaker 3: I'm going to refreak question like the way all good you know, political interviews are so media trained it's great yes, you asked, So all I answer a piece of what you asked. So you asked about how do some of the narratives that we see in the media shape people's ambition to do something about climate change. And so here there's a variety of climate obstruction that I know really well because I've spent a lot of years studying how big brands and other business groups sidesteck their role in contributing to climate change, and because they generate narratives that are very influential, very seductive, but that really are problematic. And they do this by promoting that they're at the table with us, that they're collaborators, their consensus makers, or that they're willing to compromise. And in fact, I would say that some of the most effective undermining of environmental science has come from business leaders who say that their company is working alongside scientists or alongside public policy makers to solve climate problems. So here we have to come back to PR specialists, because their entire resondet is to promote consensus among public audiences, that's the public in public relations, is to relate to the public. They influence people by aligning their clients' messages with public values and beliefs. That's a classic branding strategy. And it's also about creating legitimacy for their client organizations like fossil fuel companies, and about creating trust in their message. So, for example, PR consultants will create public private partnerships or sponsorships for their clients that make them look good. Shell for instance, the oil company sponsors youth programs, they sponsor healthcare initiatives, sponsor housing projects, and that's not It's hard to point to that and say that's bad. You shouldn't sponsor those projects. But at the same time, if you think about how that acts back on the company to make them look good, when in fact, alongside those sponsorships they are also expanding the infrastructure for oil production, it becomes really challenging to uphold their good image. I could go on, but maybe I could leave it at that for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Did you want to add anything in there, mix.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it relates back to some of the things we were talking about before. Melissa was talking about discourses of climate delay and kind of honing in on the four that William Lamb and colleagues had pointed out that we got in the chapter. And another way in which we can see this kind of narrative is through the way in which some of the redirection of responsibility comes through the individualization of responsibility. And so some of the narratives that take place through the media and through everyday lives can come into the notion of carbon footprints, which themselves we're seen as creation by the foss fuel industry to redirect attention to the individual rather than larger corporate actors who are contributing significantly to these issues. And so that individualization can have several different kind of pushes and pulls. It can distract from their responsibilities, but then they can also, you know, very importantly, it can have us feel like, oh my gosh, we get overwhelmed with the enormity of the challenges that we have before us, and so it can push us into these spaces of paralysis if we if we subscribe to this kind of atomized, individualized way of acting, and we also, on top of that can tend to you know, start to name and shame and blame one another instead of looking at some of the clear fact around us. And so you know, there's there's been a lot of work over time among them was some important work by Richard he that points out that two thirds of industrial greenhouse gas emissions, fossil fuel use, methane leaks, and manufacturing have come from ninety companies around the world since the john of the Industrial Revolution. And so this naming and shaming and individualization is both a redirection of responsibility and that it's also really is a very effective technique of delay and distraction.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to end with this accountability piece and where we're at with accountability measures on this. So we talked about rapid attribution, but you mentioned this push for a universal definition of climate disinformation in the chapter, and then you know the potential for accountability for specific platforms. I'm curious to hear from each of you where you see the most progress I'm dealing.
Speaker 3: I'll just start by saying that the call for universal definition of climate disinformation as well as for more accountability my media platforms, came out, I believe in November twenty twenty four around the COP twenty nine climate negotiations in Baku, Azerbaijan. And this was a large group, a coalition of political groups, nonprofits, and so that was trying to encourage political leaders around the world to acknowledge that there is a major threat posed by climate disinformation as an obstacle to climate action, and to adopt a definition that will allow regulation and other forms of rules to get put in place, to be able to say, you know, to point at something and say that is climate disinformation based on this definition that all of us have agreed upon. I think that that would be very powerful. And then that third pillar is to hold platforms accountable. As you said, Amy, so just push social media companies ad tech publishers to prevent the spread of climate disinformation by agin acknowledging it and saying we're not going to allow this kind of garbage to be to be on our sites. I would say, if I had to, you know, leave with some Oh, but this is really not I don't intend this to be about t toooting my own hord. This is just something I know more about than other areas. We'll talk about it. It's in relation to this idea of adopting a universal definition, but it's on the topic of greenwashing, which is a subset of climate disinformation. This is something that some colleagues and I have been working pretty steadily on through the Climate Social Science Network we have a Greenwashing working group and we've just put out our second article that attempts to develop a very clear and coherent framework to identify greenwashing and to lay out a set of criteria that anyone can use. It's not just an academic thing. It's really about saying, here are the features.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: You know, if you can identify these features in whatever you're looking at that you think is greenwashing, and these features are there, you can call it greenwashing. You can go aheat them and say that's greenwashing. And we're really trying to promote greater accountability by all kinds of organizations, not not just companies, but other groups that advertently or inadvertently produce greenwashing material and just yeah, getting a definition that then will allow all these groups accountable. And we've had some real success with that framework. We've had a couple of groups, I know in Canadian cities, some lawmakers have used that framework to ask for public buses and other transit systems to take down their advertising that is greenwashing as a result of our study. So that's just one very small contribution to try t to just keep these different platforms and different outlets accountable.
Speaker 2: That's great I'm glad glad to hear those developments because they can feedback into news reporting, into pro engagement advertising, and on and on. I guess I would say that, you know, while we have talked about how you know, there are strains on our media literacy nowadays, generally my experience has been that once you open up these conversations, especially with young college aged people that I'm working with a lot teaching, that there is a real appetite and there's an ability to learn very quickly, and especially young people who have been born into the world where we've already had this on the public agenda. For those of us that are a little bit older, you know, we grew up in a world where this wasn't being discussed. But many young people now that are in college have been exposed to this, been talking about it, and they're well positioned to start to move forward with solutions. And I know at times we all may feel like this is really daunting. There are so many large forces and pressures that are working against this kind of progress. I guess I am in a quoting kind of mood. I think about Wes Jackson something he said about if you're not working on something that you plan on finishing in your lifetime, you're not thinking big enough. And so when we start to work with folks across demographics, across generations, and there is this appetite to learn, there is this appetite for positive change. I see it through the creative ways that students I'm working with are communicating about climate change with their peers and families and neighbors and roommates. That I find that as a source of encouragement. So while we have been focused in here on diagnosing some of the real daunting challenges, there are places where we can look to for encouragement and hope.
Speaker 3: Awesome, No, I really, Max was saying about students that I do see. The only moments lately when I do feel optimistic are actually working with my students and being out with my teen son. Yeah, you know, which is kind of ironic because in other ways he drives me absolutely Banata's butt.
Speaker 1: Yes he is.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 4: You know, he's growing up to be a very savvy and media literate person. Despite what we say earlier, he is very aware of the climate crisis and that need to do something about it. I feel hopeful when I hear the kinds of things that he's thinking about and wanting to do when it comes to climate change, because he's on it, and I think his friends and roommates and others are too.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, it's kind of nice to end on a little bit of hope and grit. I do feel like people forget that these things take a long time. That's it for this time. Make sure you're subscribed so you don't miss an episode. You can find more on this season, including transcripts and lots of related articles and background information, on our website at Drilled Media. You can also sign up for our newsletter there. Our producers for this season are Martin Saltz, Oustwick and Peter Duff. Our theme song is Bird in the Hand by Foreknown. Our cover art is by Matthew Fleming. Our First Amendment attorney is James Wheaton with the First Amendment Project. The show was created, written, and reported by me Amy Westervelt. Thanks for listening and see you next time.