Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joe McCormick, and we're back with part two in our series about the winners of the twenty twenty five ig Nobel Prizes. This is something we cover almost every year here on the show, though of course we're not affiliated with the prizes in anyway. It's just something we like to talk about. The Ignobels are given out usually in September of each year by a scientific humor journal called the Annals of Improbable Research, edited for many years by Mark Abrahams, and the state admission of the Ignobel Prizes is to honor achievements that first make people laugh and then make them think. If you haven't listened to part one yet, you can go back and check that one out first. But for a brief recap. In the last episode, we talked about the twenty two twenty five prize in nutrition, which went to a team who studied lizards eating pizza. The prize for psychology for a paper that looked at whether people become more narcissistic when you tell them that they're really smart. And the twenty twenty five Prize for Aviation, which went to a study on whether fruit bats become worse at flying when they get drunk. Is that about right, Rob, Yes, and they do. And we're back today to talk about more.
Speaker 2: All right. Just a reminder again, we're not covering all the winners. We're just doing two helpings, really, each of us going in and grabbing some stuff, discussing the studies we want to talk about, papers we want to talk about, but by all means, go to the website improbable dot com and you can learn more about this year's winners, last year's winners. They have one of these great like single page readouts where you can just scan through everything that they've covered over the years. A rarity in today's web space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a great thing to send to your office printer and just get again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the first award that I wanted to talk about today is the twenty twenty five Biology Prize, which was presented to and there's a long list of names here. As always, apologies for any mispronunciations, but the team was Tomoki Kojima, Kazato Oishi, Yasushi Matsubara, Yuki Uchiyama, Yoshihiko Fukushima, Naoto Aoki, say Sato, Tatsuaki Masuda, Junichi Yueida, hiro Yuki Hiruka, and Katsutoshi Kino, and then to quote the prize language for their experiments to learn whether cows painted with zebra like striping can avoid being bitten by flies? Yes, that said painted. So the question is can you keep parasitic insects off your cows by just painting some zebra stripes on them? The paper in question was published in twenty nineteen in the journal plus one, and it was called Cows painted with zebra like striping can avoid biting fly attacks. It kind of gives away the result there. But the funny thing about this study is that this is actually not the first time, not this paper in particular, but research on this general subject has come up on the show. We talked about this in a listener Mail episode last year, which was was from August twenty twenty four. Rob, Was this an episode that I did solo or were you on this episode with me?
Speaker 2: I don't recall. This is one of those areas that I feel like I have podcasted on before, but I'm not sure how recently, you know, getting into the coloration of zebras and so forth, and you know the evolved reason for the stripes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so maybe this was a solo listener mail episode that I did. Anyway, the context in which this came up was a message from our listener Jeremy, who at the time had written into the show address that's contact at stuff to Blow your mind dot com, asking for our thoughts on an attached photo which was of a horse grazing in a fenced pasture draped in a cloth with black and white zebra print. Which is funny already because I think, not knowing the reason for this, a lot of people's first assumption might be that this is just a horse somebody has dressed up in a zebra costume for esthetic reasons, maybe Halloween unclear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean somebody's pasture poodle. So maybe they just have a jazzy outfit.
Speaker 3: On, right, So Jeremy asked if the purpose was actually to repel biting flies, since there is some evidence that zebra stripes may work to keep flies off the skin. I looked into this a little bit, and I concluded at the time that the horse in the picture was wearing what's called a fly sheet. I had no previous knowledge of this at all, but I assume most horse owners and farmers and ranchers will be quite familiar with this kind of product. So fly sheets are lightweight bankets, usually made out of some kind of mesh fabric that you drape over a horse to keep flies and other insects from biting the horse. And if you google these products, you'll find that other uses are advertised as well, like protecting animals from UV radiation. From what I'm reading, these things work pretty well at their main job. But that doesn't mean that you can just protect all your horses permanently by dressing them in fly sheets and then just leaving them on all the time. Apparently, some horses do not like the sheets. They find them irritating and they try to shake them or rub them off, which could lead to injury. Also, there is some injury risk just from the horse knocking it part way off and then getting it tangled on something. And also you can't leave it on forever for the same reason that you shouldn't leave the same piece of human clothing on forever. Eventually it gets dirty and damp and hot, and it irritates the skin, possibly leading to overheating or to skin infections. So fly sheets can protect your horse from fly bites to some extent, but you've got to balance the pros and cons, and even for horses that tolerate them, well, it's not just a putg it on once and forget about it solution. But the thing I wondered about in this image was if the fly sheet is itself a physical barrier against fly bytes, what would be the additional benefit, if anything, of having an insect repelling pattern printed on the fly sheet? If that is indeed what zebra stripes even do. We'll explore that question more in a minute. But wouldn't the sheet itself provide the protection whether it was printed with zebra stripes or leopard print or you know whatever individual frames from the Boxer's omen just like the whole movie on the side of the horse. Maybe maybe there is an additional benefit, but I'm skeptical.
Speaker 2: I mean, that would have venture to guess. Maybe it would be a situation where the stripes would keep flies potentially away from the uncovered portions of the horse as well, Like the flies in question would be like, oh, there's a zebra colored horse over there. I'm going to ignore this horse entirely, even the parts that aren't zebra e And I'm just going to go check out this other certified non zebra.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that is a totally reasonable thing to wonder, except I think in at least one of the studies we're about to look at, it mentions that when supplemental zebra stripes are given to some animals, they still got bitten on the parts that weren't covered.
Speaker 2: So okay, well, there you go.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. Maybe it reduces the bites on the uncovered parts even though it doesn't totally eliminate them. I don't know, but anyway, so questions. I don't know whether that would be beneficial or not. Now. In that listener mail episode, I talked about a different study on zebra stripes and biting insects, also from twenty nineteen, also in the Journal plus one, so same journal and year as the Ignobel Prize winning study here. That paper was called Benefits of Zebra stripes Behavior of Tabinid flies around zebras and horses. That was by Caro at All short summary of that one. Over the years, researchers have proposed a lot of different evolutionary reasons that zebras might have stripes. Maybe the stripes somehow regulate body temperature, for example, maybe they helped the zebra avoid overheating in the sun somehow, maybe they are a type of visual camouflage confusing predators. But a very promising idea is that somehow the stripes protect zebras against ectoparasitic insects like biting flies quote quoting the authors. Here, we examined the behavior of tabanids, horseflies in the vicinity of captive planes, zebras, and uniformly colored domestic horses living on a horse farm in Britain. Observations showed that fewer tabanids landed on zebras than on horses per unit time, although rates of tabanids circling around or briefly touching zebra and horse pillage did not differ. So interesting finding. The horses and zebra has had equal numbers of flies swarming around them, but the flies successfully landed on the zebras less often, which presumably means they were able to bite the zebras less often. And in a secondary experiment, the authors found that if you placed a zebra patterned coat on a horse compared to coats of solid white or solid black, it reduced the number of tabinid flies that landed on the horse. The horseflies still landed on and bit like exposed unpatterned parts of the horse's bodies, like the head. So the question is if zebra stripes prevent flies or help help reduce the amount that flies land on you, how do they do that? The author's right quote. In separate detailed video analyzes, tabanids approached zebras faster and failed to decelerate before contacting zebras, and proportionately more tabinids simply touched rather than landed on zebra pelage in comparison to horses. So, according to this other research, when you have zebra stripes, biting flies have a harder time slowing down their flight and landing correctly on your skin, and they're more likely to kind of fly into you at higher speed and bounce off without landing. That's kind of interesting. It's like putting some kind of dazzle your on your airport runway. You know, it makes it hard to land the plane.
Speaker 2: Now you're messing with the fly maneuverability and landing ability. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also note that when I looked into this last year, I read some coverage, including an article in the BBC that quoted other scientists in the field who were not fully convinced that they that fly repellent properties were the main evolutionary reason for zebra stripes. A few reasons for doubt they're a major one being are biting flies really a primary fitness concern for wild zebras. Some researchers were skeptical that they were, so this is not a full settled issue. But that brings us to the Ignobel prize winning paper on this topic. Again, that's the Kojima at All paper from twenty nineteen. To summarize this one, the authors cite the previous research showing that zebra stripes seem to reduce attacks by biting flies, and however much this is or is not really a major fitness concern for zebras in the wild, the authors argued that it is of major significance to people who raise domestic animals like cattle. They write, quote, biting flies are serious pests of livestock that cause economic losses in animal production. Now you might think, like, how do fly bytes cause those losses. Well, they actually explain. They say, cattle find these biting flies really annoying, and they change their behavior to try to protect themselves from fly bites. So cattle that are bothered by biting flies spend less time feeding and grazing, they spend less time bedding down, and they also engage in direct defensive behaviors. These defensive behaviors can involve a lot of violent body movements, maybe flicking the tail, stomping around, shaking their heads, and twitching the muscles on the skin. Cattle will also crowd their bodies together to decrease their surface area and protect themselves from flies. And the authors argue that all of these behaviors cause economic losses since the cattle expend energy doing this stuff, they eat and they rest less, and crowding or bunching together in particular, seems bad. Quote. Bunching increases heat, stress and risk of injury as animals jostle for a better position to avoid biting flies, and this can reduce weight gains in feed lot beef cattle and milk yield in dairy cows. So this doesn't necessarily prove it, but I think it's a reasonable inference that if if biting flies cause these measurable economic losses for domestic cattle owners, they might well translate to similar evolutionary losses for animals in nature. We don't know for sure, but it seems quite possible.
Speaker 2: It sounds reasonable anyway.
Speaker 3: So, building on the previous findings that biting flies either avoid or have trouble landing on zebra stripes versus on like a solid black or white surface, the authors ask what happens if you just paint a solid colored cow with zebra stripes? Will that keep the biting flies away? And if you wonder if there's a picture, Yes, there is a picture, Rob, I've got it for you to look at. Here. So this is a black cow that has been painted with white zebra stripes on the sides, like the flanks, not the head, but everywhere except the head, the flanks and the legs going all the way to the rear end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this picture alone answers the question why is this funny? This is just in and of itself, laughter inducing to see this cow that has been painted up like a zebra like. Somehow, it's more hilarious, obviously than a horse being painted like a zebra. Maybe because like, you're not fooling anybody, Like I can't help but think this cow wants to be mistaken for a zebra and we're just not buying it.
Speaker 3: I'm not insulting anybody here, but it is funny that this picture has has labels for body and leg. Actually, maybe there's a good reason for this, Like maybe if they're if they're documenting where on the body the biting flies that were seen landing landed, you know, you want to note exactly where the boundaries are as you're considering. Yeah, so that makes more sense. But the label of body is really got me going. Which part is the head? So the authors they described their small experiment as follows quote. Six Japanese black cows were assigned to treatments using a three by three Latin square design. The treatments were black and white painted stripes, black painted stripes and no stripes, meaning an all black body surface. Recorded fly repelling behaviors were head throw, ear beat, leg stamp, skin twitch, and tail flick. Photo images of the right side of each cow were taken using a commercial digital camera after every observation, and biting flies on the body and each leg were counted from the photo images. Okay, so maybe that's why it's important to know exactly where the boundaries are here. We showed that the numbers of biting flies on Japanese black cows painted with black and white stripes were significantly lower than those on non painted cows and cows painted only with black stripes. The frequencies of fly repelling behaviors in cows painted with black and white stripes were also lower than those in the non painted and black striped cows. So again, in other words, compared to cows without stripes and black cows painted with blacks, black cows painted with black and white stripes had fewer biting flies land on them and also showed fewer fly repelling behaviors, all the different kinds of you know, the shoe fly dance. The authors say that based on these results, it may be the case that painting zebra stripes on solid colored livestock can reduce the burden from biting flies without resorting to other interventions like applying pesticides to livestock, which can also be effective, but that comes with downside such as contributing to long term pesticide resistance in the environment.
Speaker 2: So if true. It's one of those things where you might say, well, it doesn't cost that much to paint the cows, let's go ahead and do it regularly. Do it and if it's working a little bit, great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seems like it. Now. One thing to note here is again this was a small experiment. There were just six cows here, so we should not draw like hugely firm conclusions based on it, and more of a pilot to open the way to more highly powered research.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as is often the case.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, let's move on to the next one. This is we want to highlight the chemistry prize. This one went to a twenty sixteen US Israeli paper titled Polytetraflora ethylene ingestion as a way to increase food volume and hint society without increasing calorie content, published in Obesity Technology, written by Neftalovich, Neftalovich and Greenway.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, PTFE ingestion as a way to increase food volume.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Yes, And this is one of those selections where you can see why it is funny right at the front end of things, because PTFE is also known by the brand name Tefline. This is what John Gotti's teflon don nickname was about because one of its uses is in nonstick pans, right, so nothing sticks to it. Nothing stuck to John Gotti at least for a while that situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's not just used in cookwaar.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PTFE is a nonstick coating has like industrial and medical uses as well, and you find it in all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's a synthetic fluoropolymer discovered in nineteen thirty eight, discovered, invented however you want to look at it. It's commonly used in nonstick coating for cookwaar, but it's also used in wiring insulation, chemical resistance, lining coatings, and medical devices. As an electronic insulator. It's used in stain repellent fabrics and also in aerospace parts. So the funny part here is, obviously the authors are suggesting a brand new use for PTFE, and that is what if we ate it as a food additive.
Speaker 3: So it's just like you add a little bit of salt and pepper tear meal and you also sprinkle in some teflon.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it would be more than sprinkling. What they're bulozing. Would be bulking it up like it would be like a smoothie powder that gets added to your food. And yeah, this paper boldly begins with the following quote, civilization has zero calorie drinks, but we have not yet made the leap into the realm of zero calorie foods. The first step toward achieving this goal is the ability to increase the volume of food without adding calories, the final frontier, if you will, of eating zero calorie polymers.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be a know it all, but there there are not quite zero calorie bulking items, but there are well known ways of bulking up food without massively increasing the amount of calorie. A big one is fiber.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, but I guess part of it here is that there are and is that this would be mainly used to treat a obesity as the main factory here. But yes, it also raises a number of questions what we'll get to including you know, first of all, can we do this? But also should we do this? And indeed are there perhaps other things like fiber that maybe we should be putting in the end of the diet instead. Reading this study reminded me of a gag on thirty Rock where Jenna is on a diet and she says it's the Japanese paper diet, where she says I can only eat paper, but I can eat all the paper I want. Perfect Yeah, I mean to be clear, the idea of eating paper as a diet. Yeah, eating paper I think would technically net you zero calories because your digestive system can't break down the cellulose, the main component of paper or most paper anyway. But this is not recommended as it's not good for your digestion, and that's before you even consider potential chemical additives, and also the ink that may be on the paper. Though there are edible wrappings and even mediums for printing, I'm not sure you could really make a diet out of those either. But yeah, just the idea of eating paper for your diet. It works for a joke, I don't think it would work in real life. So back to consuming non flavored ptfes as part of your diet. To be fair, the proposal is a little more complicated than Hey, it has zero calories, so why don't we eat it? First of all, the general proposal is that it would be some sort of additive again, perhaps like a smoothie powder to bulk up actual food. You'd eat this food, but then a percentage of the food volume would be indigestible. It cannot be metabolized, so it just passes through, taking up space, giving you the feeling of being full without itself metabolizing. The rest of your meal would though. According to the paper, they present this as a quote non metabolized food volume bulking agent, and they charge that indeed PTFE is ideal for this because it's quote widely considered to be the most inert material known and is extremely stable. They also add that it succeeds in being quote inert safe, resistant to stomach acid, lax taste, available in powder form, smooth, resistant to heat, and also cost effective.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's supposed to be resistant to heat up to a point, right, There is a point in which it becomes not resistant to heat, right right.
Speaker 2: I mean, anyone who's ever looked into ptf E coated cookware, there is a threshold beyond which you're not supposed to heat it because then there can be health concerns with you know, how things break down and what's released and so forth. I guess they're arguing that within the human body, you wouldn't reach that threshold, which well, thank you say, I mean, if you reach like five hundred degrees fahrenheit within the body, something terrible has gone wrong. And just speaking to the idea of PTF he's heating up in the body, not to any other potential health ramifications here, which again I think this obviously raises a ton of questions that are not necessarily addressed in this paper or would need to be addressed in follow up papers if there was like really a huge drive to get ptfees deliberately into food. But you know, that doesn't stop them from presenting some evidence. They point to some studies that claim that, and they claim that quote animal feeding trials showed that rats fed a diet of twenty five percent PTFE for ninety days had no signs of toxicity and that the rats lost weight. And then they go on to suggest a possible human consumption ratio of three parts food to one part PTFE by volume, and again their idea is this would be for therapeutic use in weight loss. But I just want to really stress here that this is absolutely not something that anyone out there should now go out and line up for themselves. Don't try and cook this up for yourself either. Don't develop your own diet based on hearing about this study. This particular idea doesn't seem to be picking up a lot of steam.
Speaker 3: It's not getting a lot of takers in the nutrition community.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Again, I think part of it comes down to is this really necessary? Are there perhaps better options? And you know, and I think there's a strong case to be made. Also, Again, this paper is nearly a decade old at this point, and I think the proposal feels more dare we say horrific Given concern in recent years over so called forever chemicals and microplastics finding their way into our bodies so obesity and weight loss, there are certainly vowed concerns. But should we necessarily be looking for all new reasons to produce these chemicals and to intentionally ingest them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, as far as the safety of PTFI goes, my memory of it is that generally PTFE itself seems to be mostly safe within the temperature ranges, or is thought to be based on what we know, But there are legitimate questions about health effects arising from its manufacture and from associated chemicals that could be brought along with.
Speaker 2: It, right, right, So that's my understanding as well. So I guess I come back coming back to this paper specifically, like if everything in the paper is just one hundred percent correct and it is perfectly safe to consume some sort of hypothetical Again, this doesn't I think, really exist yet, some hypothetical human grade ptf E food additive, would it still be the thing we want to do and need to do? But then again, I mean that's kind of the beautiful thing about science, right, is sometimes you do explore these big sort of what ifs, what is this a potential solution? And you know, maybe one paper leans a little more positive and if it's necessary for follow up, there will be some more negative considerations as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I certainly don't want to be like snarky and dismissive. I mean, I try to be open minded about things. But I will just let me come back on the other side and advocate fiber. I mean, fiber is great. It's like that's a common thing found in many foods. You can get a you know, like high fiber foods are a great way to bulk up and feel more full from your meals. And without adding a lot of unnecessary, unnecessary calories.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I think this solution that is presented here feels a little bit too dystopian and apocalyptic. And the best food for humans to eat remains food, or that's what I prefer anyway, with the possible exception of certain candies feel very far removed from food, and I still eat those, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking that I'm getting anything out of them on a health level.
Speaker 3: Just wait until you hear about the proposal to bulk all of our meals with Twizzlers.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's exactly the candy I was thinking of when when I'm eating it, I feel like it's plastic, But it's a plastic I'm really into eating now, maybe like once or twice a year.
Speaker 4: Did you get your daily essential Twizzlers?
Speaker 2: So yeah, in summary, I would say that one made me laugh, made me think, and then made me frown a little bit. But how about you, Joe, what's your your next selection?
Speaker 3: Okay, my next one's also about food, not ptfe for food. So I'm going to talk about the twenty twenty five Physics Prize presented to and once again long list of names. I apologize for any mispronunciations. Jacquomo Bartolucci, Daniel Maria Busiello, Matteo chi Arci, Alberto Cordicelli, Ivan di Terlisi, Fabrizio Olmeida da Vida Ravignez, and Vincenzo Maria Schimenti. Four quote discoveries about the physics of pasta sauce, especially the phase transition that can lead to clumping, which can be a cause of unpleasantness. The vapor in question was called phase behavior of Cachiae pep bee sauce, published in the journal Physics of Fluids in twenty twenty five. So a very recent one.
Speaker 2: This is a great chaser after we're just talking about potentially eating taflon and they were just like, you know, when you have lumps and pasta sauce unpleasant?
Speaker 3: It's true, Well, it is true. I don't like those lumps.
Speaker 2: I don't mean, I mean, what's the substance of the lump? Are we talking like a chunk of tomato? No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no no no. This is a broken cheese sauce. Who likes a broken cheese sauce? H yeah, okay, all right, yes, you've read Okay, so why is this funny. I think it's funny because it's a paper in a physics journal that's focused on how to make cheese sauce like and on your base level. Also, it's just like cheese. Cheese is a funny word and a funny substance. Absolutely, as any toddler can tell you, you make a toddler laugh by inserting cheese as like the wrong noun in a sentence, any other noun. Instead substitute cheese, they will lose their minds. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, absolutely, cheese in and of itself funny word, funny subject.
Speaker 3: I think secondarily in the selection here there might be a little bit of light cultural humor in the idea that Italians can be so serious about pasta cooking technique that they will explore it on the level of fluid physics and the phase transition of matter. So the recipe in question here is a great Italian classic. It's kachioe pepe, which is pasta with cheese and pepper. Rob if you ever made this one, you make caachio pepe at home.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know that I have. I mean, this is certainly the type of dish that I might do as part of like a box meal. But maybe if I've done it, it's been like so westernized that I'm not recognizing it as such.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a delightful dish. I have made a version of it many, many times, more times than I can count. Though, if you're talking to one of the real witchfinder witchfinder generals, or would it be Witchfinders General, is it like attorney's General. Yeah, I guess one of the real witchfinders general. Of like traditional pasta technique, I think my renditions of it are all blasphemous in one way or another, because sometimes I add another source of fat, like butter or olive oil, like so you make it with black pepper in it, and I like toasting some of the black pepper and olive oil. I think that's nice. Sometimes I have used a mixture of cheeses in it, or I have used parmesano reggiano instead of pecorino romano. I think all of these things are not technically cachaae pepe certainly not the traditional version, but some variation on the theme.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is not macaroni and cheese.
Speaker 3: I mean it's the same idea, but no, it's a different thing. So here I'll describe what it is. Traditional cachao pepe like, you know, the kind they say that a grandmother in Rome would make. Has no butter, no olive oil, no other cheeses. It has exactly three ingredients. It is pasta, peccorino, romano, cheese, and ground black pepper, and I guess also water and salt. But for some reason people don't usually count those as ingredients. Why not, I don't know, but they're absolutely necessary. You need those as well. Anyway. You might think, based on the fact that there are only three ingredients, that this would be a very easy dish to make, but as the authors of this paper point out, classic catchaway peppe is notoriously difficult to get just right, especially for beginners who haven't made it a million times and gotten this intuitive feel for it. The really difficult part to do perfectly is achieving the right sauce consistency, which I would also argue is the most difficult part of you know, from like what you brought up American recipes like macaroni and cheese. You know, the hardest part to get right is just the right smoothness of the sauce in the finished product.
Speaker 2: If you don't mix the cheese powder up enough.
Speaker 3: So well, I mean, if you use the powder, you're using the magic of chemistry there in a way that really gives you a leg up. I'll get into that in just a minute. So the classic technique is, you know, you grind your pepper and you grate your peccorino romano cheese. You do those ahead of time. Pecorino romano by the way, if you don't know it, it's kind of a it's a dry cheese. It's a salty, sharp, slightly gamy tasting hard cheese made from sheep's milk. You boil pasta in slightly salted water, and while the pasta boils, some starch will leach out from the pasta and that gets gelatinized in the cooking water. This is true anytime you make pasta, and you reserve at least some of this starchy pasta water to help build your cheese sauce. Of course, outside of Cachawa peppe, starchy pasta water is an important ingredient in building many pasta sauces and just generally in finishing pasta dishes. So you to finish the dish, you melt your grated pecorian omano cheese in some of the starchy cooking water while mixing it up with the pasta. And this is where a lot of things can go wrong. If it is too hot, your cheese will not melt smoothly and it will form these unappetizing lumps, the broken cheese sauce thing where it's like got these rubbery little protein clumps in it. If it's not hot enough, your cheese will not melt fully into the water and it will not form a sauce. If there is not enough starch in your pasta cooking water, the melted cheese will not emulsify, and once again you get the rubbery little protein clumps. If there is too much starch, the sauce loses its sauciness and it becomes stiff and unappetizing in a different way. It's not really saucy. It's more kind of like a meala or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to ask here again. Most of everything that I know about cooking I learned from following box meals, and so my wife taught me. So you frequently reached that step where the instructions say save a little pot water for later and at times. It often feels to me like it's almost a magical exercise, Like, no.
Speaker 3: It's really that really does something. Yes, yeah, okay, right, absolutely does something and does and is more important in some recipes than others. But yeah, you save a bit of the pasta cooking water number one, just you have this hot water on hand, maybe to help thin out a sauce as you're finishing a pasta in the pan. But also, it's not just water. It is water that I mean. For one thing, it's a little bit seasoned because you salted your cooking water. But more importantly, it has starch from the pasta in it, which means it's a little bit thicker than normal water. It has this thickness and emulsifying capability that starchy water does.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome. I had no idea. I just assumed it was We saved it because it was hot and it was salty, and maybe there was a little magic to it. But there is a perfect sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely a little bit of magic, and it's the starch. So that's what I'm about to explain. So why does starch in the water make the cheese sauce smooth instead of broken and clumpy? It's because cheese contains both fats and proteins mixed together with some water content as well. It's basically a matrix of proteins that holds little droplets of fat dispersed pretty evenly throughout. And when cheese melts, one thing that happens is that the proteins in the fats separate. And this is why if you like melt a piece of cheese in the microwave, you can create an oily grease slick. The proteins and the fats that are in you know, when the cheese is not melted, they're all mixed together. When you melt it, this the fat separates and it forms this oil slick. And so this is the fat content separating from the protein matrix. When cheese is melted in a liquid like water, this gross clumping can happen because the protein matrix, and this is going to be mainly the protein casin in a dairy base, you know, in things like cheese, the proteins, all the casin proteins, come apart from their matrix and then the loose proteins begin to bond to each other and form these rubbery globs of protein. Also in this process. Of course, the fat leaks out, it gets squeezed out as the proteins you know, clump together, and it goes its own way. If it's in water, this will mean floating and pooling on the top of the water. This is what you don't want to happen to your cheese sauce. This is a broken sauce. So when you add starch to boiling water, the starch gelatinizes and it thickens the water, making it more viscous than just water on its own. The thickness of the starchy water prevents the proteins and fat in melting cheese each from aggregating and sticking to themselves. So you end up with a smoother sauce with the fat and the protein distributed more evenly throughout, instead of rubbery casin clumps where all the proteins are sticking together and a grease slick floating on top where all the fat is separate and sticking to itself. But the way I describe this here is like it is order of operation sensitive. This is why you can't save an already broken sauce by adding starch. Once the damage is done, the starch is not gonna fix it. Starch only protects, it does not repair. Also, the presence of starch can only protect the cheese so much. Even in starchy water. If you overheat the cheese, it will still be torn asunder and the fats in proteins will separate. So starch provides some heat protection, but not invincibility to heat. And this is why the heat in making the cheese sauces is so important. If you get it too hot, it's gonna clump up and split no matter what you do.
Speaker 2: This is a stressful recipe.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, exactly. So it's a simple dish in terms of ingredients, has got three ingredients apart from the salt in the water. But getting this desirable smooth sauce in the end is tricky and it takes a lot of experience. You know. It's it's something that people make a million times. You know, they make it over and over and they get a feel for how it works. You are able to kind of look at it and feel it as you're stirring it around and know how much of everything you need. But what if you don't have that feel? Well, the authors of this paper examine the whole process in a much more granular and quantitative way, and they come up with like specific numerical and chemical recommendations to help people achieve perfect catchioy pepe if they don't know what they're doing quote. We identify starch concentration as the key factor influencing sauce stability with direct implications for practical cooking. Specifically, we delineate a regime where starch concentrations below one percent relative to cheese maas lead to the formation of system wide clumps, a condition determining what we term the mozzarella phase. That's a bad thing. You don't want your cheese sauce to turn into mozzarella clumps and corresponding to an unpleasant and separated sauce. Additionally, we examine the impact of cheese concentration relative to water at a fixed starch level, observing a lower critical solution temperature that we theoretically rationalized by means of a minimal effective free energy model. We further analyze the effect of a less traditional stabilizer tri sodium citrate, and observe a sharp transition from the mozzarella phase to a completely smooth and stable sauce in contrast to starch stabilized mixtures where the transition is more gradual. Finally, we present a scientifically optimized recipe based on our findings, enabling a consistently flawless execution of this classic dish. So they've got a fool proof method. Now I want to add that they talk about the alternate method, where instead of starts, you go with tri sodium citrate. I think a lot of Italian cooking purists would rebel at the idea of using sodium citrate to emulsify their cheese sauce, but in the world of industrial food products, this is one of the most used additives to ensure a stable emulsion and to prevent sauces from splitting. Tri sodium citrate is one of the key ingredients in cheese products that are made explicitly for melting, things like Velveta and American cheese. Why do they stay so creamy and not split when they melt is because they have tri sodium citrate, this emulsifying agent, which works in part, by the way, by helping prevent the casin proteins from bonding together in the first place, so that it like chemically sort of prevents them from clumping.
Speaker 2: Okay, so use velvita when making this dish.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's how to get the common section happy. Now, assuming you don't go with sodium CITRATEE and you're relying on starch in the pasta water to keep the cheese sauce smooth, you want to aim, they say, for a concentration that is between two and three percent of the cheese weight that you're using. Reading from the paper here quote. If the starch content is less than one percent of the cheese weight, the sauce is prone to separating into unpleasant system sized clumps, corresponding to the mod cyrilla phase and Figures one and two. On the other hand, exceeding four percent of starch results in a sauce that becomes stiff and unappetizing as it cools. Rob This is it's kind of hard to describe this if I don't know if you've ever made an over starched pasta, but it starts to become not really saucy and more like it's kind of held together by a glue, sort of an unpleasant gluy texture in between the.
Speaker 2: Noodles, like would maybe begin to feel more like a cheese dip as opposed to a pasta dish.
Speaker 3: Is well, yeah, I mean just it would be too too sticky and too doughey. Almost in the saw it becomes less like a sauce and more like a batter.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see what you mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Then they finally say the ideal range is confirmed by both taste and texture tests, lies between two and three percent, ensuring stability and a pleasant consistency. So, for example, they give exact ratios. They say, you want to make two servings of catchaway pepe, you would start with three hundred grams of dried pasta, two hundred grams of cheese, and then four that two hundred grams of cheese. You would want five grams of starch in about fifty grams of water, so you could use a starch like five grams of corn starch or potato starch dissolved in fifty grams of water. Traditionally, you get the right amount of starch here by using feel and by using the pasta cooking water, sometimes concentrating the starch content by boiling it down a little bit extra so you concentrate it. This is called resotata. But this still requires some guesswork. You just got to like kind of look at it and know what you're looking for, because obviously you can't practically measure the starch content of the water once it's already dissolved. So they say, if you're really looking for an easy shortcut, you just make your sauce by dissolving five grams of corn starch or potato starch and fifty grams of water, heating it gently until it gelatinizes, then melting the cheese into this mixture to make your sauce. I again, I don't know if the pasta witch finder would approve, but that's what they say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like can you imagine the chefs on the bear doing it? Yeah, fine, that makes sense. They might do something kind of like sciencey like that. But can you imagine like stereotypical Italian grandma cooking this way?
Speaker 3: Maybe not right? And once again there you're just getting into somebody who's done this so many times. They know it by feel. You don't have to really think about. You're not measuring out things by weight, You just you just eyeball it and it comes out right.
Speaker 2: Well, now I'm beginning to understand why I've maybe not cooked this before and it's maybe not been included in some of the box meals that I've I've gotten over the years, and maybe it's just a little too complex.
Speaker 3: Rob, I'd say give it a try, try and make catchaway Pepe. It's delicious. And you know, the worst scenario is just like you accidentally overheat it and it gets a little clumpy and it's like, well that batch wasn't great, you know, no big loss.
Speaker 2: All right, maybe maybe it is worth the journey. All right, We're gonna look at one more here fittingly, we're gonna go from cheese to shoes. This one, this one was a lot of fun. This one was what made me smile and then think and then legitimately laugh. It is the Engineer Design Prize. This prize went to Vikash Kumar and Sathak Mittal for Smelly Shoes an Opportunity for Shoe rack Redesign. From the proceedings of the HWWE. I'm to understand this is the Annual Conference of Indian of the Indian Society of Ergonomics from and this was a twenty seventeen presentation. So on the surface, yes, this paper is funny because it is about smelly shoes, which this is always going to be a funny concept so long as you're not around the smelly shoes in question. Smelly shoes become less funny if you were wearing them, or you're having to put up with someone in else's smelly shoes.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's even funnier though, if you're imagining smelling them without knowing whether they are shoes or cheese. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there have been some fun experiments along those lines. I think we've looked that over in the past. You know, it depends on the context. If you were expecting to smell cheese and you smell shoe, you know, then perhaps you're okay with it. If you're expecting to smell a shoe and you smell cheese, maybe not so. Context and smells is extremely important. I think I've gone in this rant before, but that's my take on the Durian fruit. The Durian fruit pretty strong smells involved there. But I think sometimes if one approaches if you approach the Durian expecting a cheese, thinking of it as kind of a cheese as fruit or a fruit as cheese, whichever way it goes, then it makes a lot more sense.
Speaker 3: Well, take it up with the Lord of Darkness in the Boxer's omen universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did like their Durian. So in this paper, the authors present everything rather matter of factly. I think they say, Okay, India can be a hot, sweaty place, and as with pretty much everywhere else, we may regularly wash our bodies, and we may regularly wash our clothing, but not necessarily our shoes, you know, And I think this holds true. Shoes are sometimes made of leather, or they're in one way or another a little more complex in their design. You can't necessarily throw them in the washer, and then you can't really throw them in the dryer either, because you know it'll clog up and make that awful racket and potentially destroy your dryer. So, yeah, we don't always give the shoe our shoes the same attention we give our bodies in our clothing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna admit I am guilty of this. I am a very hygiene conscious person in terms of body and clothes, but I do not think enough about keeping shoes clean same same.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like shoes are just gonna do what they're gonna do. I have no control over it personally, right, And so they established this, and okay, all right, we're all on board with this, we kind of recognize the universality of this. But their focus then kind of switches to the use of shoe racks upon entrance to certain interior spaces, and mainly they're talking about the home and about you know, shoes off homes in India. I'm also to understand religious spaces and certain shops and restaurants you know, may also have these expectations in place, while larger Western nine space western nized spaces are not going to have that. I'd be interested to hear from folks out there who are in India or have been to India. I've never been, but I have visited countries where there's certainly more of a custom of shoe removal, and and that's also the way we do it in our house. We're generally a shoes off household. And I really loved going to Japan, where there's a lot of shoes off and pretty much everywhere has a shoehorn handy, and that spoiled me. Once I came back, It's like, why are there not shoehorns everywhere? So now I have like one by the door that I use, and I'm a little bit offended anywhere I go that doesn't have a shoehorn.
Speaker 3: The long kind or the short kind.
Speaker 2: Oh, the long kind.
Speaker 3: There's the long kind.
Speaker 2: Luxurious. I mean, it is one of ages. I guess too, it makes more sense. But yeah, it's just it feels classy.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was a kid discovering my late grandfather's long goal themed shoehorn, which was like on this piece of cane and add a shoehorn on one hand and like a golf ball grip on the other.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, mine's just plain wood that. I still like it. It's still rather fond of it. So anyway, we've established okay, we have scenarios where people are wearing shoes to a house and then upon arrival at the house, they are taking shoes off, and then where do shoes go, Well, they go on some sort of a shoe rack, and they point out they're like numerous different like common designs for the shoe rack. And once we're into talking about the design of an item, we're potentially talking about ergonomics, we're talking about human efficiency and design, and they point out that generally when we're talking about this, we're talking about like the physical aspects of the device or a device or structure. You know, there are so many different ways to approach ergonomics, and you know, we've all had some experience with ergonomic design or a lack of ergonomic design, with everything from like a computer mouse to a doorframe. Right like, we be designing things that meet us at least halfway, and we that are that don't force us to become less human in order to interact with them. So fair enough, But then they point out that, Okay, we tend to focus on the physicality of all this, but we don't think about things like scent, and they say that we should, and that concerns the shoe rack. What can we be doing about the design of a shoe rack, the kind of shoe rack that would be in the immediate interior of one's home or just outside one's door, or however it is arranged. What could we do with the design here to make shoes less pungent?
Speaker 3: A noble goal? It is, yeah, it is, it's.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, it's pretty matter of fact. And they they point out there, at least as of this publication, there wasn't really anything in the market like this, So they ultimately landed on this recommendation a shoe rack that is fitted with a UVC tube light, with the UV lighting here targeting the bacteria on and in the shoes responsible for the shoe odor.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm following you.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and they and they ultimately even arrive at exactly what kind of exposure they're looking at. They're looking at about two to three minutes of exposure to the UV treatment and this would sufficiently eliminate a lot of the odor associated with the shoe rack, which would then make interacting with the shoe rack a more pleasant experience, and therefore, I guess you could say interacting with the home itself a more pleasant experience. Again, this seems perfectly reasonable. Yeah only, and only mildly funny. But what I found really hilarious was the chart on their experimentation with the UV lighting on the shoe rack. And to be clear, I'm not making fun of the research or the researchers here, but just the mental imagery of this legitimate experiment makes me giggle. So I included the table here for you Joe's Table two. Exposure time of UVC tube light and odor observed. And so we get we get exposure in minutes from zero minutes to fifteen minutes. And then we also have the foulness of the shoe smell rated as well, and then the smell doe to UV treatment.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a trade off, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the observations of what's happening.
Speaker 3: Okay, So how's it go?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm not going to just roll through every detail of it, but let's start it at the on one side of the chart and then get to the other. So zero minute exposure, the foul smell on the shoes is three point five, which for this table, that's maximum. That's just maximum. Shoe funk smell due to UV treatment itself is zero, of course, because you haven't done anything to it. And the observation strong pungent smell, rotten cheese like smell.
Speaker 3: Whose shoes were these?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's just shoes, all right, So let's go ahead and crank it up. They crank it up to two minute minutes of exposure. That reduces the foul smell of the shoes to point five. So there's a little bit of funk, but it's greatly reduced from three point five. And the smell due to UV treatment is zero. And they say that you just have an extremely low foul smell and just a mild burnt rubber smell. Okay, And from here this is where the burnt rubber smell cranks up, because the next exposure thresholds are four minutes, six minutes, ten minutes, fifteen minutes, and then the foul smell from the shoes remains zero throughout, but the smell due to the UV treatment increases, so eventually you're getting to a fifteen minute exposure zero foul smell from the shoes, but a four rating for smell due to UV treatment. And then they add very strong burnt rubber smell shoe hot ins extreme In this experiment, they found yes, if you if you cook the shoes too much, they will no longer smell a foot funk, but they will be hot shoes that smell like burning rubber.
Speaker 3: And thirty minutes your shoes become doctor Manhattan exactly.
Speaker 2: So this this certainly made me laugh a bit, but you know this, the experiment serves the purpose of them figuring out, Okay, two to three minutes is really all we need to sufficiently kill the bacteria and cure the foul smell that is occurring with the shoes.
Speaker 3: I find this inspiring.
Speaker 2: It is it's inspiring. I mean it also outlines some like additional design challenges here, right, how do you design a UV powered shoe rack that is going to give the appropriate amount of UV treatment to any given pair of shoes without cooking them? And people coming back putting on their hot shoes on a hot summer day and their shoes smell like burnt rubber. Obviously they don't want that either. So you know there's almost a poetry to it. Too little attention and you have a stinky situation. Too much attention and you have a different but even more stinky situation. So you have to find that perfect balance between the two. Bravo to the authors, absolutely, all right.
Speaker 3: Does that do it for our coverage of the twenty twenty five Ignobel Prizes?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think we're going to go and close the book on the Ignobels for this year. But yeah, hopefully they'll do it again next year and we'll be back to talk about all new winners around the same time. Sometimes we cover them, as we did this year, right after they occur. Other times we come back after on Cober and cover them a little late after things have cooled off a little bit because, as is often the case, the studies that are honored, they often get a lot of additional circulation and say like the late night comedy press and so forth. All right, as always, will remind everyone out there that Stuff to Blow your Mind. It's primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns and just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. Would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.