Speaker 1: So crime is up and you like the idea of having a gun in your home or carrying a gun, but you don't like all the aspects of the whole gun thing. Ah, we got something for you, Armstrong and Getty extra Large.
Speaker 2: Because four hours simply.
Speaker 3: This is Armstrong and Getty extra Large. You may have heard us doing commercials for the Berna Launcher. It's a self protection device very much like a gun, but it won't kill somebody. It will repel them in a big hurry. It's a terrific product, and we can get into some of the particulars of it. But the reason we're doing this podcast is in some of the behind the scenes discussions with folks involved with Berna, We've had some really really interesting chats about the Second Amendment in the use of deadly force and the psychology of it, and it's just really interesting.
Speaker 1: So, and I'm a gun owner, I'm pro Second Amendment. I own several guns and everything like that, but there are a lot of legal problems with bringing out the gun if somebody brings into breaks into your home, whether you like it or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, depending on where you live, especially. But we're joined by Luan fam who's the chief revenue and marketing officer for Berna and is really up on these issues. Lan, How are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you guys?
Speaker 3: We're terrific. Thanks. So let's talk about, you know, the advantages and disadvantages of deadly force as opposed to less than deadly forced. Because I know you're an expert in this.
Speaker 2: Thank you, you know so full transparency. I am also a gun advocate, I am a gun practitioner. I support the Second Amendment, but also believe in the strategic self defense strategies that every American should take because, as you as we believe, one bullet can ruin two lives and in many states, and the laws are gray. And then you over apply deadly force, you can find yourself in hot water really quick. You risk your freedom, you risk losing your assets, and you have to be extremely strategic in how you approach the use of force when someone is attacking you.
Speaker 1: So I'm laying in bed, for instance, I hear a noise, then I hear you know, I get the idea somebody is in my home. I grab my actual gun, I go out there. You know, there's no shooting somebody. You know, It's not like the old Western movies. I mean, there's no like shooting. I'm gonna shoot them in the leg and just wound them or whatever. I mean. I'm applying deadly voice force if I pull the trigger and then I and then I'm in all kinds of legal program problems, even if they broke into my house.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then, as you guys stated earlier, it depends on where you live. But in general, if you who apply deadly force, there are so many different is that faces the homeowner. Right if that person, that intruder is unarmed, God forbid, if the intruder is friendly, you are responsible for that bullet once you pull the trigger. So you have to be extremely careful in how you approach the threat or analyze the situation. I would come out of my bedroom with my burna less lethal launcher packed with not only kinetic AMMO but chemical irritants consisting of pure gas and pepper, and then supported by my nine millimeter. And so as you think about you know you're in bed, you wake up, you don't have all of your faculties. It probably come out of deep sleep, and starting with less lethal from my perspective, allows you to get your mind in order. And then hopefully address the threat using less lethal force and essentially stopping that threat without having to resort to what we call the nuclear mode where you have to transition to your firearm. And well, it was that way, so go ahead.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, that's one of the more interesting conversations we've had. I remember when we first chatted about how many people will have deadly force or nothing, and when it comes down to that moment to pull the trigger, they realize I can't take a life. I'm just not made like that, and then they're defenseless.
Speaker 2: That's correct, And what firearms owners, I think there's a phenomenon of trigger hesitancy is extremely real, and you are facing that situation and you pull your weapon with the intention to fire it. It's how we're taught that a lot of things run through your head, and lots of it is you know, dealing Can I take a life? And I opening a box of complexities that will require legal representation and law enforcement and then potentially jail. So when these things rush your head, you will hesitate, and when you hesitate, it becomes very dangerous situations for you. So what our products provide its users is it eliminates trigger. Heasmans to be because you know that you're not going to take a life, and you're going to de escalate the threat by incapacitating the attacker for thirty to forty minutes. And should you accidentally shoot a friendly or someone is in your house that you've forgotten, you invited them, they have the key. You know, the results are much better than if you applied lethal force in a situation where a you know efernally is involved.
Speaker 1: And so I've got I've got one of these burn of guns. I've got it in my bedroom and it looks and feels and loads just like a glock or whatever. And I go out into the living room with that, and there is a bad guy there. What is the burned gun going to do to them?
Speaker 2: So, if you're shooting the chemical irritants consisting of tear gas and pepper, upon impact, it will essentially neutralize your sential nervous system. Your respiratory system will be attacked, your lungs feel like they're collapsing. Any areas of exposed skin will feel like it's on fire, your nose runs uncontrollably, and you will not want to open your eyes because it's that painful, and these effects last for thirty to forty minutes, giving you the opportunity to escape. Moreover, if you miss the chemical round will let's say you miss the attacker and you hit the back wall, it will create a six foot dispersion cloud that any person within six feet will be affected. So even misshots can be very effective, you know, within close quarters.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's not a single shot deal either. It can squeeze off a couple. What about the so called kinetic rounds that don't have the chemical aspect to them.
Speaker 2: Sure, the kinetic rounds consist of one a solid sixty eight projectile made of high end polymer like very strong plastic that is capable of breaking side autoglass from thirty feet away. So when you get hit with this with that round, it's going to feel like you've been shot, and it's extremely painful. And so it really the escalates the situation using the force less people forced, and in combination the round could be. Using combination, you could have kinetic rounds and chemical rounds in your magazine and in our With our product, the launchers have an effective range of sixty feet and on a CO two you can shoot up to twenty rounds off an eight gram CO two and the gun is or the launcher is as they're ready, so are We have a proprietary technology that's called pull Pierce where you can have the launcher loaded with the CO two inside and they can be stored indefinitely. So when there's a threat, you pull your weapon, you pull the trigger. It punctures the CO two and sends the first round instantaneously, so at the same time and we have five round magazines, we have seven round magazines, so that'll gives you that opportunity to have multiple shots at a safe distance up to sixty feet and you can address and assess the situation and determine if that situation requires an escalation of force and use of force. And most of the time that's not the case, but if it is the case, then you have to do what you have to do to protect yourself and your family.
Speaker 1: So the Burner launcher again, which you know it's like having a glock in your hand, but it's not a glock in your hand. What are the law because like, my guns are locked up, and I understand why I've got kids in the house and everything like that. The laws, the practicality of safety and everything like that. But I've always thought, Man, if somebody breaks into my house, I'm you know, half asleep like you're talking about. I got to go get the key, then come unlock it, then low and you know all the stuff, the steps I gotta take. What are the laws around having this burn a launcher handy or can I have it in my car? Can I be out and about with it?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. The burner launcher is legal in all fifty states. It doesn't require a background check to own one or to purchase one. That doesn't require a permit to own one. It's not classified by the ATF as a firearm. It's essentially an air launcher in the past. To ATF is the client of ours and we service many government agencies and hundreds and hundreds of police departments, and so you can have it in your car. Again, we would recommend that you check your local laws just for to ensure that the product is faith to transport, But in general we say, is lego mpp S fake, You can have it in your car. I'm here in Las Vegas. The car, my vehicle is considered an extension of my home, so I can have that launcher in the car. If I were to carry it around town, i am concealed, I would need to have a concealed carry permit. And again each city and its local laws are different. So we just recommend ours to our customers that check and then confirm and then know what the usage and bandwidth is with regards to your home, that's your domain. You could have it anywhere you want. You have young children, we highly recommend that you treat our product as a weapon, and it is a weapon, and so make sure you have all these safety precautions in place where young children don't have easy access to the product or to the device and use it accordingly.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you mentioned that hundreds of police agencies use this. That's what sold me and made me a customer. Honestly, I thought, wow, if they're using this as less than lethal force, that's a good recommendation. So professionals and FEDS are using it. Cops and also doctor Jen Stankis, who's an emergency medicine physician, is a fan of the Berna launcher, and doctor Jen joins us, now, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great, Thanks for having me on the show.
Speaker 3: Well, it's our pleasure. What convinced you that this was a product for you?
Speaker 4: Well, first I should give you a little bit more background, former law enforcement, former military times too, including being a JAG officer and part time military judge, and now as an emergency physician. I also do a lot of expert witness work and I've helped you defend people who have quite frankly you self defense appropriately and still go to jail. And for me, having been in law enforcement and think about self defense a lot, constantly reviewing what my options are. And I learned about this product maybe a couple of years ago, and I had no idea what it was. And when one of our neighbors, who's a huge pro two a guy always has a can field carry with him, told me that he was going to this, it really perked my interest and I looked into it. And the more I've learned, the more of a proponent I am of it, and now being great friends with Luan and I do scenario training with it at home. It's just it's my go to self defense.
Speaker 2: Tool.
Speaker 3: I would say, so do I understand correctly? And I think we all did, because you spoke quite plainly you were in law enforcement, a JAG officer and now you're an emergency physician.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Well thanks for making us all feel so bad about ourselves. Wow, what next astronomy we're going on?
Speaker 1: Being an astronaut?
Speaker 4: I would love to be an astronautor right now, I just apply airplane.
Speaker 3: So wow, fantastic. H So there you go, there you go, and that expert testimony. Oh, that's got to be so troubling when you see somebody who was in good conscience trying to do the right things protect themselves and their family, and all of a sudden their life is upended and perhaps ruined.
Speaker 4: It's actually quite terrifying to see. And as Luan pointed out, it really depends on the jurisdiction where you are, from city to county to state, it really varies. And just having the feeling safe, I think is one of the most important things for people in terms of being able to go about their business and having a tool that really will protect you in every way legally and physically, I think is really important.
Speaker 3: Doctor Jenstankis Salon fam from Burna b y r NA dot com. B y r NA dot com. Interesting stuff. Thanks for the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could really see this be in the future, couldn't you. It fills in. I mean, it just it checks so many boxes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. And obviously if you've been following the news, you know that there's real interest in police not overusing force, which is great, it's proper in a free society. And the fact that they're by the hundreds of agencies turning to this sort of thing. Yeah, it's big.
Speaker 2: It's important.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't know about trigger hesitancy until you're ever in that situation. But I think I would have no trouble shooting somebody if I thought they were threat I would hesitate on has this gone far enough that I'm not gonna end up in jail over That's that I know. I would have hesitantzy about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, at what point in this scenario is it justified right as judged by twelve dopes in some trial?
Speaker 1: Maybe right anyway, And the fact that Berna, you know, I had that conversation with my son the other day, the whole Uh, rather be judged by twelve than carried by six? Well, you know, if it comes down to carried by six, yeah, I would take that choice. But being judged by twelve would be no walk in the park either.
Speaker 3: No, no, indeed, better to send a purp to his knees crying or squealing and running.
Speaker 1: Away, right, And you get out of there and call the police, and you're not gonna, you know, have to hire a lawyer and defend yourself as a murderer or something. Oh my god, right, interesting stuff.
Speaker 3: Horrible