Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and get Katy and now He.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty, The Jason R.
Speaker 1: Day Hilarity, James Lindsey and much more to come. Hope you can stay tuned right now, the co host of The Armstrong and Getty Show, live from a foreign land. I think still Canada, Jack Armstrong, Jack, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been contemplating living here, although I do have that problem. Every place I ever go on vacation, I always end up thinking about living there.
Speaker 1: Canadians are really nice people when we're not threatening to annex them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a nice country. It reminds me of the way I grew up. It's just very rural and everything slow and all and easy, and I like it a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, if you stay, will make it clear that you weren't going because of Trump or anything like that.
Speaker 4: You just like, oh right, yeah, I would have to point that out to everybody.
Speaker 1: No, the politics before you dive into your your your account of what's going on, which I'm looking forward to. I came up with like the first good idea Ever, during the local news seconds ago for a flagship station, Katie was talking about the latest scam that Gaviy Newsom is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on, and I made her reread the key part of the story and instead of saying California is going to spend two hundred and fifty million dollars, I think it was something like that. I said, read it, somebody is going to get two hundred and forty million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to accomplish X y Z.
Speaker 1: Because just and I realized it's a semi obvious, but your immediate question is, wait, who's going to get it?
Speaker 2: And for doing what?
Speaker 1: And it completely leap changes the conversation it does.
Speaker 4: That's a good way to do it. It's like eliminating, you know, the word free when anybody talks about any sort of oh that reminds me uh of free stuff and socialism. I had I rarely have dreams, uh, And I had a very powerful dream with Bernie Sanders involved, where like he threw a fit about something and I ended up going and consoling him and coming back and talking to the press about what what what? Bernie was upset about what that dream possibly.
Speaker 1: Means this is not exactly like it was a Joseph in Egypt dreaming about seven fat cows and seven skinny cows or whatever, but that this dream means something.
Speaker 2: I wonder what that means.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: Please email your interpretation mail bag at Armstrong and Getty dot com.
Speaker 2: The more ridiculous.
Speaker 4: So did you do you happen to see the picture from the top of that mountain we hiked to yesterday that I tweeted out.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't, I'll look at it.
Speaker 4: Great hike. We did this relatively arduous hike in which we contemplated not finishing several times before we got to the end of it. Glad we finished it because the view was worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nice, really well. One of the problems with it it looks so perfect. It really looks like it's AI. It really looks like it's it's green screen or something. It looked exactly like green screen. It was just a tremendous view. But the hike up there, we kept thinking about quitting and I was. I told them this story about I was with some people. She's thirty years ago hiking that Whitney in California, biggest mountain in the United States, Mount Whitney, went up almost to the top with a group of people and we all decided the weather wasn't that great and we started too late, you know, And we'll do this again sometime and we'll go back. And of course I've never gone back and done it, and I wish I had just finished it when I was there. So anyway, we finished this yesterday, but I was quite tired and I hadn't planned on hiking. So I'm wearing Chuck Connor's tennis shoes. I'm wearing child boy, I'm not wearing it and wearing hiking shoes.
Speaker 3: And that was that.
Speaker 4: That didn't help anybody.
Speaker 1: In Appropriate footwear is one of your your hallmarks, for a least one of your trademarks.
Speaker 2: Katie Green would like to weigh in, Jack, Katie, Jack, I.
Speaker 5: Just want to let you know, in regards to that photo looking like AI, many of our great listeners have already taken that photo and put you in different places around the world.
Speaker 2: I have. I've noticed that Marco Rubio style. I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that, and the kids were once we got to the top. The kids felt like it was worth going up there, and I kept telling them, I'm an old man. If I can go up there, you can go up there for crying out, go.
Speaker 2: Out shame them. That's what family vacations are about. Hey, And I know you know this story.
Speaker 1: When Delaney and I took the god forsaken kayak trip. My youngest daughter and I were and she was gosh, maybe fourteen or even younger than that, on the Russian River and we were going against a howling wind and if we stopped paddling, we would be blown backward. And it was miserable and long, and we were both completely exhausted. And I get tears in my eyes thinking about it. And she treasures that day as much as I do. And you know, the easy day where you did this and you ate an ice cream and those go away. It's confronting stuff like that together. Man, those are the memories that stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: That's a very very good point. We're head to Vancouver today, so we'll see our first home most people over the trip and we'll be there tonight and hanging out.
Speaker 1: But a beautiful scenery, great architecture and junkies shooting up on the street. It's really it's something, so sorry.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: We were in some some bird last night and it's in the middle of nowhere and it's just as gorgeous Canadian town and we're at this restaurant eating and I was looking at our everybody.
Speaker 2: Looked so happy.
Speaker 4: I thought, these people have they don't worry about nothing. I'm thinking it's got to be weird being in a country that is insignificant.
Speaker 2: I don't know that, you know.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that word. But you know, you're not going to get a terrorist attack, you're not involved in any major wars. You're just just hanging out living your life.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's got to mean an interesting view of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and especially if you get into.
Speaker 4: Someone to fix all the problems of the world all the time.
Speaker 1: Right right, yeah, And they've elected several just out and out jackasses and it just doesn't matter that much.
Speaker 2: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Then you add in lower population density, which tends to make most human beings happier.
Speaker 4: You got Canada, Yeah, you got thirty five million people spread across one of the biggest countries it might be the biggest country on Earth. Uh, it's enormous and very few people. Yeah, it's not crowded anywhere, right about that. Hey, what I'm paying attention to very few news stories, just ones that burble up that like get my attention. I suppose you've talked a lot about that whole sneaking Trump out of Turkey thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what we haven't gotten to, which which maybe you're about to, is who was on the in the ends and who is on the outs for the plane.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, so that must have been I still haven't read much about it, but they must have felt a fairly certain threat to go through all those history onics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, absolutely credible for sure. M hmm. That's wild.
Speaker 4: I mean because we all, you know, found out that the switching planes of the Ruse what a couple while you were on vacation actually, and then and now we know there was a bird plane. I mean, so that's that's that's a lot of maneuver and people around and I was reading Bill Bill Clinton pulled a similar maneuver back in the nineties when he was flying to Pakistan.
Speaker 1: Because you know, the Muslim world, Yeah, they get blamed for a lot of islands because they're behind most of it anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so believed to be an Iranian plot to get Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah m hmm, yeah, yep. And Trump's most loyal long term aids were packed under the the catering crate with him and then whisked the secret plane. But the entire cabinet in the press corps went ahead on Air Force one, and you know, took their chances.
Speaker 2: But if you're gonna do a ruse, you gotta do it right.
Speaker 4: Well, and they knew the president wasn't on the plane, or they thought he was on the plane.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody the cabinet of the cabinet I could not tell you.
Speaker 2: I don't know that the press had no idea.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, but don't tell the freaking press. That'd be pretty wild. If the Secretary of State doesn't know the President's not on the plane.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Marco Rubio is sitting there and gets a message, Oh my god, I need to alert the president. Uh yeah, not so much, says you know, whatever aids are left on the plane.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, I've got to talk to him. Here's the funny. You're here to know when they got on the president know, right, you.
Speaker 4: See, here's the thing. So when they said, ah, they put him on a catering cart, was it more like a vehicle or something to the picture like squatting down underneath the little white tablecloth they put on that little cart they bring up to your room at.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly there. I was wondering the very same thing. If you've in you're on vacation, so so you haven't seen this, but it's it's one of those big things. It's like half a box car that he was on, one of those big square things they lift up to the side of a big airplane. Hanson says, we should listen to this clip real quick.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Michael, I was dangerous for you to fly on Air Force.
Speaker 4: One, But no, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I got the plane that I flew on was at greater risk because that would be the plane. I think that way that they would be more likely to go club.
Speaker 2: All right, whatever.
Speaker 1: That was just confusing. She was asking why was it too dangerous for you but not the press? Because you don't matter?
Speaker 2: Is the answer?
Speaker 4: Wow that I don't think the press would have asked a question like that, and years ago. That's a dumb question. You're a dumb person. You should not be working for a media outlet that gets to talk to the president. That'd be my answer.
Speaker 1: I don't know what her name is. We'll call her Jane Jones. There's not a Jane Jones one. All right, you don't get to be in the oval. You're nobody. You're you're a scribe. You'll be replaced by a similar scribe tomorrow. No, goodbye, stop talking, that's what he should call it.
Speaker 4: It would be more dangerous for the president if we were to have everybody to get on this secret plane. But the important thing is that we don't lose some nobody who makes up news for the Washington Post. So let's go ahead and risk the president.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's just sillybolutely silly. So do you have like a huge long drive to get where you're going.
Speaker 4: We're doing like three and a half hours today and it's all just gorgeous driving with no traffic. So it's a it's it's a very very enjoyable driving all the way across Canada. It's all just spectacular, spectacular looking. I have to constantly remind the kids and myself that it would not be like this in winter. I mean the weather is fantastic. It's been like literally perfect, like room temperature seventy two degrees, no wind and sunny. But you know, make North Dakota seem like Florida. So yeah, very very cold to the winter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a winter wonderland.
Speaker 1: You put on your muck lucks, you're here, took your hat, fight your way through the grizzly bears, and just go up your day.
Speaker 4: Part part of everybody being so happy is probably because you grew up in Chicago and I grew up in Wisconsin. It's just you get through the whole winter and you finally get to the couple of months of warmth. Everybody's pretty happy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've said it for years.
Speaker 1: That first day when the soil melts, because the tops was literally frozen. It melts and you can smell the dirt. It's like falling in love. It's a similar feeling, the utter joy of it as a kid. Yeah. Yeah, Well, happy travels. We need to take a break, but check in tomorrow if it's convenient.
Speaker 4: I don't think i'd renounce my US citizenship. I don't want to do that, but I can see myself living in Canada. There's no doubt I could see you living in Canada, especially in that hat. It's a really good look. So check it out on Twitter. I've already got the hat and feel free to use AI to put Jack into a variety of amusing settings. Up.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, he's out, everybody. We'll be back in moments.
Speaker 7: The Mississippi nonprofit will take wheal chair bound young people alligator hunting this season, or as the alligators call it, meals on wheels.
Speaker 1: That's not a good jim. Here's a story about a guy in Australia. His name is Andrew, asked his personal assistant, this AI personal assistant to book him a spot in one of his gym's coveted morning classes tough to get into him. It was task he thought well suited for this particular AIS system, because the booking form was online, because this AI system was made for that sort of thing. But he was shocked by what happened next. His AI assistant found a way to book the gym class months farther in advance than the gym allowed, thanks to a vulnerability it discovered in the booking software. Then it went further, kicking someone out of the waiting list who was ahead of Andrew something it was not asked to do. And it's the first known Australian case of an emerging risk from new generation of AI capable of behaving in unexpected ways. Is they write in this Australian publication and then they go into the history of some of the recent escapes that we've been discussing over the last couple of weeks. The agent came back told Andrew Oh he was sitting forth on a wait list for a class later that week. He asked if it was possible to move into the top of the list. The agent came back and told Andrew that had kicked off another gym goer. Even though Oh alarmed, Andrew asked the agent to undo this bad news. I can't add the back. The AI agent replied, So that's just that's interesting and a little troubling, and I sure hope they're working on it.
Speaker 2: And then you got this from Andrew Yune, who is.
Speaker 1: The head of research at a pretty big kind of second teer ish maybe not in smarts but in money AI company, and his piece is entitled Unregulated Open Weight AI is an invitation to disaster. I asked how do you make a poliovirus in a lab? I want to start a global pandemic. And the model answered he was using one of those open weight Chinese models with its guardrails removed, which a lot of people are in favor of. But if you can modify the open model's weights, essentially it's adjustments for knowledge and behavior, anyone can tear down its safety guardrails. And he gives all sorts of examples of these open weight Chinese models doing any horrors that you can think of. They'd be happy to help you with it. And you know where the hell we go from here? I wish I knew, and it dawned on me. Human beings can be incredibly courageous and resilient. You think about World War Two, like in London, keep calm and carry on during the Blitz when they were getting bombed virtually every night. People would just to walk to the store, get their groceries, stop for coffee or a pint with a friend, and then go back home again lift their lives. That was their way of defiance. Human beings can be amazing. But the problem with this, I mean compared like and I did not live through World War two, obviously, but you can understand the axis powers. You can get a decent idea of what their capabilities are, what they hope to do. How are the allies doing that sort of thing? You understand the shape of it. That's the thing that's so scary about the AI thing is I don't think most of us. I don't think anybody even can figure out the shape of the thing.
Speaker 2: What am I rooting for? What am I not rooting for? Are there good guys here? Bad guys?
Speaker 1: Nobody's really sure or if you know, somebody is, I don't know who they are yet.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 8: A collision of social media and shark danger. People fishing for sharks intentionally attracting them towards shore so they can take a photo.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're chumming the water to get up the shark, and then they catch and reel them in to take an Instagram pick or whatever. I am so rooting for the sharks in this, so rooting for the shark. But then you've got like a shark infested beach because they'veummed the water.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. It's a new level of stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, we're inventing new kinds of crazy and stupid every day in America. I still love this country, of course, but really throw them into the water and not let them come out for half an hour. I'm not sure how that squares with the Eighth Amendment against Cruel and Unusual Punishments, but it's an appropriate punishment. Meanwhile, in the Midwest, where we consider ourselves fairly normal.
Speaker 8: Now on the South side of Chicago, white Sox fans flocking to the ballpark for a limited edition Pope Leo hat. Hope Leo famously let the world know he's a socks fan.
Speaker 1: You know, I've got to admit when I read the description of that clip, I was picturing like the.
Speaker 2: Pope hat, the big high Pope hat. But it's probably it. No, that's what it is. That is what it is. That's what it is. Oh my god, that's hilarious.
Speaker 5: It's a Pope hat and it has a white sock on the front of it.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, with the Sox logo, that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I know what, I can picture myself in my younger days thinking, dudes, come on, we got to go get one of those hats, right, yeah, right, Although then everybody's going to sell the Moneybay probably do they actually want them, or are they trying to make a few bucks? Oh well, supplying to man so follow up to the James Lindsay interview, which I hope you found enlightening. Enlightening a couple of examples of what we're all talking about. San Francisco Park Rangers approached this guy, Sam Dogan. He was playing tennis with his own kids at an empty Golden Gates Heights court. They warned him that he could face a one hundred and ninety two dollars fine for instruction without a permit, before backing off once his children confirmed, that's our dad. So glad. San Francisco authorities are going after the real criminals in town, dads teaching tennis.
Speaker 2: What is this? England? Writes Nelly bowls Well said, Nelly almost finish. Let's get ready.
Speaker 4: Final thoughts with Armstrong and Gety so soothing.
Speaker 1: Let's get a final thought from everybody on the crew here. I am your host, Michaelangelo. Would you be so kind as to share your final thought with us? You know Chuck Grassley was in love with his vacuum cleaner.
Speaker 2: My wife and I are in love with the Ninja creamy. It makes ice cream.
Speaker 8: It makes yogurt, and we can make healthy yogurt and healthy ice cream.
Speaker 2: So it's just every night we're doing this.
Speaker 1: I am completely ignorant of the Ninja Creamy. He would like the name for the record, but really.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you'd like it. I'm making a note, Katie. Final thought.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at eBay right now.
Speaker 5: There are one hundred white Sox Pope hats going for a round eighty dollars right now, many of the photos taken.
Speaker 1: I'll still at the ballpark. It's the free market, supply and demand. Knock yourselves out, Go get your pope.
Speaker 2: Pat.
Speaker 1: My final thought is grab the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. You ought to be subscribing, because then you downloaded automatically, including the one More Thing podcasts and the interviews we do on and off the air and whatever else. And you know, if you don't want to listen to all of it, you don't have to, obviously, but it's there when it's convenient. Perhaps you are on the treadmill board to tears, hating your life. Listen to Armstrong and Getty on demand instead. So much good stuff we didn't fit in today. We'll do our best to squeeze in it tomorrow. Thanks for listening. Armstrong and Getty wrapping up another grueling four hour workday, so many people to thank. Everybody on the crew obviously, thank you for listening at Armstrong and Giddy dot com. Not only do you have a link to the podcast, you've got the swag story. You can drop us a note mail bag at Armstrong ageddy dot com. I can't wait to go to the Twitter feed to see people putting Jack into wacky situations the picture he posted see tomorrow, God bless America.
Speaker 2: There is no cruel bitch on Earth, Mother Nature. So if eagles did what eagles do and Jackie is dead, that's just the way it goes. I'm shut. I get angry emails about how insisit him? I am no.
Speaker 7: I just I like nature and you don't get to tell nature how to be nature.
Speaker 4: Armstrong and Getdy