Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists.
Speaker 3: At Comedy Central, It's America's.
Speaker 4: Only source for news.
Speaker 3: This is the Daily Joy with your.
Speaker 2: Host Shaw Stewart. How you every day.
Speaker 1: Walk into the dawn show, hot up a down start, come and tell you on a what what the heck? Thursday?
Speaker 5: John Stewart on a Thursday, it's like breakfast for dinner over.
Speaker 1: Here, pancakes at night. We don't have a great job for tonight.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be talking about twenty twenty four polling a little later with the polling director of the Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics. I don't believe you, but first, it has been another big week of walla wall NonStop penis to penis coverage of Donald Trump's trial, from the lingering glamour shots to the trial merch store to a rudimentary court treasure map to second by second real time close capture and transcripting and a QR code you can scan for more coverage. And I guess MSNBC's in room dining menu. Why would you need an The ubiquitous coverage is numbing, fading to televised wallpaper with insight that only occasionally crackles through, such.
Speaker 6: As he greeted her at his hotel room in satin or silk pajamas.
Speaker 1: Which both are smooth materials, but satin or which I need to.
Speaker 2: Know, she said she had.
Speaker 1: I had my clothes and my shoes off.
Speaker 2: I removed my bra We were in missionary position.
Speaker 1: Missionary.
Speaker 5: No wonder Trump has locked up the evangelical voting block, unlike those Democrats and that devil doggy style, that devilish.
Speaker 1: Tell us more. Not wearing a condom don't tell us anymore.
Speaker 5: But perhaps this hyper focus by our news media is purposeful to distract Americans by keeping visions of dancing penises in their heads. All the while Americans are losing their freedoms at home.
Speaker 4: The Biden administration's war on energy is reaching into the American home.
Speaker 5: What we were penising, Apparently the Biden administration is reaching around.
Speaker 1: Into the American home.
Speaker 4: Put a stop to the Department of Energies, continued crackdown on American made appliances.
Speaker 7: Never in my wildest imagination, what I have thought that I was staying here on the house floor to defend my constituency appliances and gas stoves.
Speaker 8: I was proud to lead the House Republican effort to protect our gas stoves.
Speaker 9: They can take our lives, but they can never take.
Speaker 1: Our cook tops.
Speaker 5: Apparently, this is a bill that they passed to stop the Biden administration's new energy regulations. And I'm gonna be one hundred percent honest with everybody here. I'm on the Republican side. I can hate electric stoves, I can't hate them. I cannot cook unless i can see how high the flame is, and I'll be damned if I start burning my signature Banadas Foster because Joseph Gerbels Biden is trying to ban gas stoves.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I'm being told that that is not as what happened. That's sorry, that's apparently the Department of Energy just set new efficiency standards for home appliances and that ninety seven percent of gas stoves already meet the new standards. So unless this is where you cook, you're you're probably fine.
Speaker 1: And even so at the end of the day, I mean, it's just your guess. Though, it's not just gas stoves. It's your washer, your dryer, your dishwasher, and much more.
Speaker 2: They started with gas stoves, and.
Speaker 5: I did not speak of. For I was not a gas stove. Why did I do the Scottish accent for that? That's a isn't that a German homily? All right, Look, no disrespect to any of these idiots, but I think we can move household appliances down on the threat to democracy list just below aluminum free deodorant. Clearly this was an overblown reaction, but that doesn't mean that this trial coverage isn't obscuring some true horrors.
Speaker 1: They're dead.
Speaker 2: The Boy Scouts are dead. The Boy Scouts, we could pretty much declare, are dead.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the Boy Scouts are dead.
Speaker 9: While we were all fixated on the tinilating details of the stormy Daniel's testimony, the Boy Scouts all died, I'm assuming, in a terrible s'mores explosion engineered by one Joseph Childs Manson Biden.
Speaker 5: The Boy Scouts of America is changing its name for the first time in history.
Speaker 10: The organization will be renamed Scouting America to emphasize its commitment to inclusion of all youth.
Speaker 5: Oh, the Boy Scouts are alive. They just rebranded as an organization, partly because they started letting girls in five years ago. And partly because they had a giant molestation scandal. I say that so that no one can hear me or I had a giant molis.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Rebranding yourself is a tried and true formula any such organizations. In fact, it's why the Catholic Church now goes by the name Gary. So I feel terrible for anybody at home named Gary right now? What so what is the issue?
Speaker 10: There used to be sacred organizations where the children could really flourish.
Speaker 2: Is anything sacred? Bob Brooks?
Speaker 5: No, yeah, nothing is sacred. What did happen to all those sacred organizations?
Speaker 1: Gary? But as you all were saying.
Speaker 6: That's what happens to institutions in America and really all over the world. Is patriotic people start these institutions and the Left must destroy it. It's a sad day when young boys can't learn how to be strong men.
Speaker 1: We've wrecked it. Actually they wrecked it. Okay.
Speaker 5: I don't want to break character here or anything, but this like this guy who is blaming the Left for the loss of our institutions where young boys can become strong men. His name is Matt Schlap. You may remember him. He's the head of the American Conservative Union. You may remember that as the strong man.
Speaker 1: Who was sued. This guy was sued.
Speaker 5: By another fella for non consensually grabbing his dick in twenty twenty two. Yeah, that only got dropped after a reported four hundred and eighty thousand dollars settlement. The point being, when this guy talks about the depravity of our institutions, he knows of what he speaks. All of this false outrage is starting to make me cynical. It's starting to make me cynical about America's media ecosystem. Is there anything else going on that does merit a Defcon one freak out?
Speaker 10: In the end, this is a sad day for America, a moral failing of a magnitude we can't even begin to calculate.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm moral failing. We can't even begin to calculate.
Speaker 5: Perhaps it's a combo failing, an appliance that changed its name to be more inclusive. Is mister Coffee? Now they them Coffee?
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that? The danger we now face?
Speaker 5: President Biden threatening to withhold more military aid if the Israeli military carries out an all out assault on the city of.
Speaker 10: President Biden halting a weapon shipment of thirty five hundred bombs to Israel.
Speaker 8: We paused one shipment of high payload munitions.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: The Biden administration has paused one shipment of thirty five hundred munitions of the over three hundred thousand munitions Israel has already dropped on Gaza to try and prevent the Israelis from attacking the area where all the refugees of this war are currently sheltering.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Or to put that another way.
Speaker 11: And now, what the Bidy ministration has done is he becomes the primary protector of Hamash.
Speaker 5: He absolutely is uh siding with the terrorists.
Speaker 6: The only reason they're not dancing in Iran is because they don't believe in dancing.
Speaker 10: Joe Biden has been the greatest friend Hamas and Hezbola that there is on planet Earth.
Speaker 2: Amen, damn, he's good.
Speaker 5: That's nothing, says Gravitas, like the only thing we have to fair is fair itself.
Speaker 1: You people are children that came out wrong.
Speaker 5: But I am curious why would Biden halt that shipment?
Speaker 12: Now I've made it clear to bb in the war cabinet, they're not going to get our support if in fact, they're going these population centers.
Speaker 5: If they go into the population centers, the whole place is a population center. They've been in the population center for six months. Gaza's all population center. You know, you never hear around Gaza. Yeah, I don't live in the populated area. I live in upstate Gaza.
Speaker 1: I live by the lakes. It's really quiet.
Speaker 5: There is there no one who can offer a more nuanced analysis of our newly formulated position on this conflict, preferably in some type of catacomb or echoe tunnel.
Speaker 11: Mike is doing with respect to Israel is disgraceful. If any Jewish person voted for Joe Biden, they should be a shade of the chelousy.
Speaker 5: My apologies to you, Rabbi, thank you so much for taking time off of your condom less porn star hush money trial to deliver a shame lecture to Jews. I will reflect on your moral standing next.
Speaker 1: To young Kapoor.
Speaker 5: You can be sure, what about a Jew who might vote for him twice?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 5: Shame?
Speaker 1: Shame?
Speaker 8: Shame, shamee Jew ashamed, shame.
Speaker 5: First of all, guys, American Jews are Americans. We do not have dual loyalties or citizenship. There's nothing for us to be ashamed of.
Speaker 3: That's not what Donald Trump says.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump says, you should be a.
Speaker 3: Shame shame, shame, shame, so you should have been a doctor.
Speaker 9: Really, it made me very uncomb Donald Trump is just saying that there's good Jews and there's bad Jews, and we need to start identifying.
Speaker 1: The bad Jews. I don't like where this is going.
Speaker 2: Shame shame, Shonda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm Jewish too.
Speaker 2: I did not know that ye on my mother's side, and so.
Speaker 1: Shame shame, shame. As I was saying before, I was really same, shame shame on you, shame I know. So, Ronnie, we already did the Israel shame bit.
Speaker 9: And uh no, I was talking about Deaf to smoo Jay.
Speaker 1: I spent ten bucks on that movie.
Speaker 3: Shame shame on you.
Speaker 1: It's a good movie.
Speaker 3: So are you not ashamed?
Speaker 1: I'm not listen here, here's here's ten bucks. Just go thank you. This makes up for Israel? All right, thank you. When we come back, don delivope, we'll be joining us. Don't go away.
Speaker 5: Why are you bothering you?
Speaker 7: Mark?
Speaker 5: They'll show my gua tonight is the director of Pulling at Harvard's Kennedy Schools Institute of Politics, and he's the author of Fight How gen Z is channeling their fear and passion to save America.
Speaker 1: Please write in the program, John Delavo, by John young Man, thank.
Speaker 2: You for joining us, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: You have spoken to gen Z, many of them here tonight. By the way, I don't know if you spoke to them. How many of you spoke to John for the Okay, that's crazy to turn this into a focus group.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is a focus group? Is that how you do it? Is it? Are these How do you get to gen Z? I have two of.
Speaker 5: Them in my house and I don't know what they think about anything?
Speaker 10: They want to be listened to. It's actually quite quite quite easy. You can bring a group of young people together and I asked a couple of simple questions.
Speaker 2: Do you feel under stood? No?
Speaker 10: What do people like me? What do you think people like me don't understand about you? And then there we go for two hours. It's actually quite easy.
Speaker 5: Can I tell you something that is the plot of the breakfast Club? How so is this mostly focus groups? Are these checklists and surveys that you pass out, how is this done?
Speaker 1: What we do?
Speaker 10: And we've been doing this for twenty almost twenty five years now at Harvard, Right, because young people twenty five years ago were interested in understanding their generation. And to do that well, you need to go beyond traditional polling and asking people what they think right track, wrong track. You need to spend time immerse yourself in these communities.
Speaker 2: We spent a.
Speaker 10: Long weekend in Michigan with a twenty five students or so just a few months ago to begin to understand, now.
Speaker 5: Are these people do they? Do you put up a flyer or do you put that on?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 10: Sometimes we literally go into coffee shops, sometimes hang up will hang up posters asking people if they want to participate in a town hall. Sometimes will will recruit people based upon certain demographic groups, will pay them for a couple of ourselves to.
Speaker 5: Worry that the sample size is skewed to people who visit.
Speaker 10: Coffee shops, like how do you adjust for we want? That's just one phase, right, that's the quality.
Speaker 2: And then we learn from those kinds of questions.
Speaker 10: Right, And we conduct very large scale surveys of a relatively small population. So whereas most polls across the country might have a thousand Americans, maybe a couple thousand Americans, right, we do a couple thousand young people between the ages of eighteen to twenty nine who are representative of that generation across the country. So we learn from the conversations and coffee shops and community colleges and you know, online, and we take those ideas, We learn from what we hear, and we try to quantify that through very large scale, very rigorous surveys a couple times a year.
Speaker 1: And what then do you do with that? How is that?
Speaker 5: Is that then sent to the media and they use it in a reductionist way that doesn't understand anything that you're talking about, to make it seem as though on college campuses all across America, all they talk about is Israel, Gaza. Because I've been on those campuses. All they talk about is getting laid in classes.
Speaker 10: It depends upon listen, It depends upon what media outlet we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 10: There are some media outlets who take these headlines and they run them around the world as propaganda to say this generation in a reductionist man yeah, to say this generation of Americans are anti America. And you'll see that around the world, so you can use pulling us propaganda. This project started because not enough young people were participating in politics back in nineteen ninety six, Like when we.
Speaker 2: Were young voters, only a third of us voted in the presidential election.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for calling me a young voter in in nineteen ninety six, when I believe I was old enough to have been president. What would you like this to be used for? What is useful in this in your mind? Because it's it's very difficult to take a snapshot of something and say this is the picture of this generation.
Speaker 2: This is what's so important?
Speaker 10: Is that I think the goal of this or the goal of any public opinion research is to give voice to a generation, to give voice to the vulnerable.
Speaker 1: But isn't that TikTok? Isn't that what social like?
Speaker 5: I've never had a more heard generation. I can't get them off my phone.
Speaker 10: And if you take a moment off of their phone, know what they're going to tell you. They're going to tell you that several days, last couple of weeks, they were depressed.
Speaker 2: They're going to tell you.
Speaker 10: Some serious, serious concerns that have about their own mental health and thin gets pretty dark. In some cases, they're going to tell you that they're not confident that they'll ever be able to do what we did in terms of own a house. They'll tell you that they're concerned about literally being homeless. It's there's virtually every focused group I do, whether it's virtual or otherwise. Last night, two members of a focus group of young people had already been homeless for an extended period of time in their hearts.
Speaker 5: How quick, that's what we're trying to reveal these sorts of things.
Speaker 10: Within fifteen twenty minutes, there was a woman in tears when I simply said, see, this is the difference between kind of what the polling is that you might see the reduction's polling versus true public opinion research.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 10: The way I get to this is I asked three questions. Okay, the first question is your name, where you're from. What's the best part of your life today? Next question, what keeps you up at night?
Speaker 2: What are your stretsers?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 10: And then very very quickly it gets to the point that they open up. And this is something I think unique about this cohort of younger people of gen Zers, that they feel so disc connected from older generations because older generations, through the media and otherwise, consider them snowflakes, right, But.
Speaker 5: No generation ever feels connected to the young generation, never feels connected to the older generation.
Speaker 1: That's the whole point. They're here to replace us. They're we're we're our job.
Speaker 5: Is to breed, swim upstream, and then die on right.
Speaker 10: But this general, what this generation is. They're upfront telling us about these concerns. And I argue that these concerns are more real and versial than maybe our concerns.
Speaker 5: I don't think, what would you like our political system or our media system to do with this, other than to come out and go, hey, these guys are worried, because what we ultimately end up getting.
Speaker 1: I'll watch the news and just see.
Speaker 5: The Harvard School of Politics and Institute did a survey and the number one concern is inflation, and number fifteen is Israel Gaza and fourteen is emo music like it's and it'll just give you this list and there's no illumination there, it's just the list.
Speaker 10: What I want elected officials to do, and they are doing, is to understand these concerns so they can speak to these concerns. Because if they speak to these concerns. Young people will be more likely to vote. Not only can they speak to these concerns, but if they could show the track record and the progress that we have made, because John, this is a different and better country because young people vote in twenty twenty and record numbers, we don't have KBJ on the Supreme Court, we don't have the large they behind record numbers in the last one and record numbers.
Speaker 1: What was the percentage of young people that vote.
Speaker 2: We look at eighteen to twenty nine year olds.
Speaker 10: It's the first time in history that more than half voted fifty one to fifty two percent. Really on college Vietnam, the young people didn't vote on college. This is higher than any time on records on college campuses. It was over sixty percent, which is essential the same rate as all Americans. And what's interesting about this is not only what do we have the highest turnout ever, but also it was the youth vote specifically in those five battle ground states Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Arizona, and Georgia, who by twenty points voted for Biden. Donald Trump won everybody over the age of forty four, So it's a young people in particular who were responsible flipping those states from red to blue.
Speaker 5: And if you were young people today and you did that and you overcame that, what has been done for you other than some of you, you know in terms of like loan forgiveness or something along those lines. But do you think that the politicians did honor that vote?
Speaker 10: I think so because let's start with student debt. One hundred and fifty billion dollars of student debt relief right in the last three.
Speaker 2: Years for over four million, soon to be ten million Americans. That doesn't happen.
Speaker 10: We don't have, in my opinion, the first biparison gun Violence Prevention Act in two generations.
Speaker 1: So that's you.
Speaker 5: Feel like that information just has to be delineated to them or they're not feeling those effects yet or did they? Are they disappointed? Is this survey different for young people? Do they feel do they feel that they were heard?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: I think that's the challenge, right, because what I care most about is participation, okay, And what drives participation is whether they can see a tangible difference in politics and government and their vote. And despite what I believe has been the most pro youth agenda in several generations from the Biden administration. Despite that, few young people appreciate that, right, Few young people know the climate, the gun violence, and students as examples.
Speaker 5: Right, right, Are they thinking about things more immediate to their lives? Is that why they're feeling differently.
Speaker 10: I don't think they're watching the news as closely.
Speaker 2: It's hard to get some of this information the news so much what's in the news. That's the negative part one.
Speaker 10: The other thing is compared to what the policy preferences are for seniors.
Speaker 2: Like you can feel.
Speaker 10: Two thousand dollars prescription drug cap. You know that that's immediate, right. You can see in your four A Wong k right, the record, the kind of the record performance. You can feel that these things may take a generation to actually feel with the exception of that.
Speaker 5: Really, so, I wonder if it made more sense instead of if the idea is to make it useful information for people that can be actionable. Is the idea maybe to think of this more as a customer survey, the way that a corporation might to say, what is your satisfaction with the United States government or the government or your government or your life, and how.
Speaker 1: Would what would improve it? Exactly do they do that.
Speaker 2: We essentially do that. We essentially take a customer survey. It is essentially a customer survey.
Speaker 10: And I will tell you it was pretty tricky, very difficult twenty five years ago when we started.
Speaker 2: We have been honored inside the RNC, the DNC.
Speaker 10: Our students have brief the administration, the Obama administration, of the trumpetdministration, and the Biden administration directly. So we are honored because of the work of the young people who craft the questions here that we do have the ears and.
Speaker 5: Think there's an understanding now of this. Are you finding the kind of polarization that we see on social media? And is the algorithm driving their opinions in a way that wasn't happening twenty five years ago.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, And of course there's no equal side to the algorithm, right, it's is.
Speaker 1: It radicalizing this generation?
Speaker 2: I think there's an element of it, for sure.
Speaker 10: I certainly think there's an element of those people who feel like.
Speaker 2: The kind of the backlash right, who don't feel connected.
Speaker 10: The thing about this generation is essentially two thirds of this generation share a relatively common set of values in terms of what's important for government to focus on it to.
Speaker 2: Fight for right.
Speaker 10: So if you're a part of that one third who feels disconnected, there is that opportunity. I do think with these algorithms to go into some pretty dark places.
Speaker 1: Where's the disconnect?
Speaker 5: Is the disconnect from the media, from how the politicians utilize that information, from their own misunderstanding of how the world should listen to them, you know, where where is then the disconnect?
Speaker 10: I think it's I think it's all of the above. I do think that young people, you know, they used to information quickly, right. They're used to you know, asking for something and receiving it, you know, in an instant.
Speaker 2: Or being delivered to them.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 10: So there does need to be I think some greater appreciation for the system and the process part one. But like governments in specifically the government and political parties need to understand that elections are won and lost based upon what young people think. These days, forty percent forty percent of the electorate are going to be gen Zo millennials forty percent and this coming election, this election, come election, gen.
Speaker 2: Z and millennials.
Speaker 10: Okay, they have a shared set of values and you and you're right in there that their passion will save this country.
Speaker 2: I do think so.
Speaker 10: I do think so, because as I talked about the severe kind of anxiety and depression that they have. But in many cases, other generations, okay, who feel that way, it's normal to actually, you know, flee.
Speaker 2: Okay, and to run away.
Speaker 10: But this generation is decided to use all the tools, as David Hogg, the Parkland activist, talks about, in their civic toolbox, to fix problems and to stand up for the vulnerable, whether it's voting, whether it's protesting.
Speaker 5: Do you really think they're different than past young generations. I mean that kind of idealism and that kind of actimism has always been a part of that. And then everybody gets jobs and says.
Speaker 2: It, well listen.
Speaker 1: Generally. I mean that's that's my experience.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the whole you know what happened the hippies, and the hippies turned into the uppies and they all went down the wall Street, and you know it's I feel like we keep getting trapped in this cycle of like the children of the future, and you're like, yeah, they've been saying that forever, and the cycle keeps repeating, as though we didn't also have the potential to do it, but we didn't and they.
Speaker 2: I think so two things. One is.
Speaker 10: This generation of younger voters voted at twice the level as millennials. That's so you can still twice right when we were their age. When we were their age, fourteen to fifteen percent.
Speaker 2: Of us voted.
Speaker 5: Okay, Now, why we were building a society. We were out in the streets, bricks and mortar building a society and how.
Speaker 2: To go right, not well right, and how to come right.
Speaker 10: So so that's part that. That is part one. But I am and telling you that they are committed. They are committed to dealing with these issues because I'll tell you why.
Speaker 5: We're just the ones you talk to. That's only my curiosity. I have two of everybody.
Speaker 1: You don't talk to it, you didn't talk to like it. You'd come on here to night and go. They just like watching Netflix. They really it's do you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I think we tend to want to look at it and make sweeping judgments about who these kids are, and we tend to then simplify it into a monolith. And that is the first step in misunderstanding and misrepresenting what they actually do. I liked much more what you talked about when you broke them down and they started talking to you as individuals. It's maybe when we when we have to take the reality of their lives and make them into data, that we go wrong.
Speaker 1: Is that possible?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 10: But in each generation does have kind of a central identity. So for example, Gen xers, okay, we were in terms of politics and ideology split relatively same as many as conservatives, as liberals, probably as Democrats, whereas this generation is different. The reason that this generation is different, this is important that no generation generation since the greatest generation, has dealt with more chaos, more trauma, more quickly than jen Z. All of this at their at their footsteps before the.
Speaker 2: Age of twenty five. Listen to me, Listen to no.
Speaker 5: This is completely rare true. When I was growing up, Martin Luther King was killed, John F. Kennedy was killed, Robert Kennedy was killed, The Vietnam War was on, and then there was water and.
Speaker 10: We put someone on the moon. We came together for that, this generation, this generation.
Speaker 1: But that didn't the gate all the other ship. It did not.
Speaker 10: It did not, And every generation has their trauma. This generation hasn't seen America at our best.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: When was the last time?
Speaker 10: When was the last time this your your kids felt good about being American and connected to everybody this morning?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 5: Yes, again, this is the kind of generalization that I think I take issue with that idea that like, this generation has had challenges in a way that no one else has. I just think that's putting upon them a sense of a victimhood that is not necessarily and I think can ultimately have them play into that identity, as opposed to saying, yeah, man, your perspective is this is the worst the world has ever been.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to tell you something.
Speaker 5: The world is hard, and it's horrible sometimes, and it spends out of control, and all we can do is fight every day to make the world more look like the one that you want.
Speaker 1: It to be.
Speaker 5: But to treat them as though they have faced some kind of condition that is so anathema to everything that all these other generations have faced doesn't feel real to me.
Speaker 2: I didn't say more than all other generations, what.
Speaker 1: I said since the greatest generation.
Speaker 10: And the difference though, is without seeing America united, the difference between a millennial in my view, in a gen zer is a millennial. Remember September eleventh and September twelfth and thirteenth. For that period of time when we came together, a red county in a blue county hung the flag.
Speaker 2: We came together.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 2: It was a short pair of fract This.
Speaker 10: Generation doesn't understand that, and it's been division after division, and it would be easy for them, in my opinion, to not engage in politics, not try to work with other people, to try to how much of.
Speaker 1: That is a fiction?
Speaker 5: How much of that is imposed upon them through the algorithm and through the media that somehow, you know, we were just talking about this. A young woman in the audience said, how do you remain hopeful? And I said, the way I remain hopeful is to separate the world that you read about and hear about on the news and in the algorithm from the world that you experience as a human being every day. And aren't we by creating these data points of the horror that they all live in, Like, yeah, it sucks to have shooter drills, but we had nuclear war drills where we hit under desks, right, And I didn't know that much about the atomic bomb but I was pretty sure my desk wouldn't help. But do you understand what I'm saying, Like, do so we create this mythology around these things that is part of that separation.
Speaker 2: But there's nothing.
Speaker 10: Seeing children slaughtered in schools we didn't see a nuclear war is not mythology.
Speaker 1: But we were seeing in Vietnam. We were seeing I mean.
Speaker 10: Right, no, we are and we are seeing that. But what I'm telling you is, I listen, there's elements of this. I agree, and we collectively should be putting this into context for people.
Speaker 2: It does stress them out. I agree with that. Yeah, okay, I agree with that.
Speaker 10: But what I'm saying is that we just we don't have to agree that, but we just have to understand the way that they feel and where they're coming from and help them, help themselves and help us.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 10: That's my message, And in these issues are real because we could work a summer job as an intern or cutting grass in a ford, a four year me one year tuition the public of private university.
Speaker 2: We could do that in the fifties, sixties, seventies, and eighties. Young people can't do that today.
Speaker 10: Okay, young you could work a one job and afford a house.
Speaker 2: These are the rights.
Speaker 10: Not only are is this generation losing reproductive healthcare from the Supreme Court, but this is a generation who feels like they're losing other rights. The rights to attend a college without going broke if you work hard, right, the rights to own a home or piece of property.
Speaker 2: Right, those are the rights, and those are.
Speaker 1: That a different conversation. Isn't that that's it?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: It's about any It's not.
Speaker 5: Listen, young people live in the same economy that we all live in, and you know, I would look at it like sometimes we'll think like I happen to be in an unbelievably fortunate situation. But I look at the crunch that people feel, you know, just as they get into middle age after having worked for so long, and they just get to that college age where they're putting their kids through college, their parents start to need help and you're in that crazy squeeze. But separating that through generations isn't isn't that losing the overall thread?
Speaker 1: Economically?
Speaker 10: There is clearly economic stress around all Americans right now, right right listen, Before we did the survey, do we.
Speaker 1: Really need to talk to the gen Z anymore before? Don't we know enough already? I watched the TikTok It's everywhere? Are they? Do they?
Speaker 5: Do you think social media has hurt them?
Speaker 2: Unquestionably it's hurt them. Really, yeah, it's hurt them.
Speaker 5: What would you do to ameliorate this feeling that gen Z is having and and to or has it helped them organize? And so you wouldn't lose it because it's a double edge.
Speaker 2: There's it's certainly some pros to it.
Speaker 10: I mean, there are folks who feel vulnerable who can find community on that space where they can find in their own in their own community, and that's good, right, they can organize from it. But the degree to which fear is instilled in their lives. I was talking the other day in terms of what people are anxious about, and a lot of young men I talk to you have feeds every morning of car crashes, like horrible, horrible car crushes in their TikTok Instagram feeds where they're concerned about driving to work, the economic fears about what Yeah, like in terms of the algorithms, right, Oh, it just feeds them car car crashes to them, it feeds car crashes.
Speaker 1: Does that even start.
Speaker 2: That's just one of that's just that's just kind of one example.
Speaker 5: Can I tell you all I get is that one girl going uh on two days into college and on three leg shows behind and then it's just a thousand people dancing to that.
Speaker 2: That's your That's that's you, that's your algorithm. Right, that's uh, they found you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing it wrong.
Speaker 5: Uh, thank you very much for coming by Harvard's John Dolibobe. Uh it is uh, what is the name of the book again?
Speaker 1: Fight den Z. We're taking great back over this.
Speaker 12: Using everybody. That is our show for Thursday night.
Speaker 5: I'll be back on Monday after I think spending a weekend in a hyperbaric chamber.
Speaker 1: I mean to only have three days off here. It is your moment?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 3: In May twenty twenty four, House Republicans set out to fight the most important war currently happening in the entire world.
Speaker 8: I was proud to lead the House Republican effort to protect our gas stoves, and I am proud again to lead this effort to protect our home appliances.
Speaker 3: Behold the epic saga of this band of grand standards.
Speaker 4: The Biden Administration's war on energy is closing the door to your refrigerator. It is draining your dishwasher.
Speaker 7: To defend my constituency appliances and gas.
Speaker 3: Stoves this summer, these are the gis who protect your.
Speaker 8: Ge stoves, dishwashers, washing machines, showers, toilets, water heaters, air conditioners, heat pumps, and furnaces.
Speaker 3: Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg definitely do not present saving pilot light.
Speaker 10: Give it a couple months and they're going to be coming after everybody's backyard grills leave no appliance behind.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 1: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 11: Ten Central on Comedy Central and streamful episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcastow