Speaker 1: Take a little bit longer than I thought. You have to keep moving from setback to setback without losing the enthusiasm fail your way to the top.
Speaker 2: Like you go through so many setbacks to end up see you at the top getting to the top, Like it's not just some escalator that takes you up there.
Speaker 1: Old Michael, focus so much on being perfect once I got to a certain point, once I won that first world title, and truthfully, it says so much more about how you conduct yourself after a loss, that this is part of the journey and when you do win the belt, when the belt does come on the belt for the Boys with the Boys, it's gonna be even better. All right, we rolling do we need a clap? Yeah? I round of applause for the boys, just.
Speaker 2: All the boys out there watching and listening. This episode of Busting with the Boys is brought to you by Chevy, specifically the Chevy Soverado.
Speaker 1: How much do you love Chevy? Mike who rock? Is that right? I think? I mean it used to be. Okay, I hope, so hope.
Speaker 2: Somebody supposed to be nodding back there, like, yeah, that's good, That's.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying. It's not the other one. It's not the I don't know why they stopped doing it. That that was like the coolest.
Speaker 2: That was the best little jingle, nice little commercial, rolling, bumping in the gravel and stuff like a rock. The strongest, most advanced Silverado ever. It is strong, dependable, gritty, just like the people who drive them.
Speaker 1: You all.
Speaker 2: The design is big, boulding, commanding. In this truck, turn says, have you seen the new Silverado? I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Listen, there's a there's a pallethro of them out there on the highway. I actually haven't, so it's it's hard to distinguish what's bringing.
Speaker 2: It's hard to spot which one's the new one. The new one is beautiful. Hey, the best looking one is the car Heart Edition. Have you guys seen the car Heart Edition? The Chevy Silverado? That thing I almost cursed. I'm glad I caught myself because they don't want it. Then almost to curse in the did they do the heart like seats? They should do car he seats? Dude, I'm talking inside and are we able to bring up a photo?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: While we're bringing this photo towing moving day, Hey boys, hey help me out, might bring up Hey bring up the thing, hauling, hauling your boat, pulling a lot of weight American most importantly American maid.
Speaker 1: American maid. Yes, that's all that's helping out. Your family and friends.
Speaker 2: Go to a dealership near you, tell them the boys sent you, and support your local Chevy dealership. Boys we have on Mike Chandler. We will get into all of the fun stuff.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: Pleasantly surprised that you still wanted to come on and do the podcast. I didn't like count you out of not coming and doing the pod. Uh, just because when I was reaching out to you, I'm just like, you know number one, I was telling Garrett on the way over here, just like how much of like a pro and just your how high your emotional intelligence is in the first place. So like when something like that happens, like obviously people want to find stuff, like your corner wants to find things to tell you. That's gonna let you because everybody wants to be there for you. Yeah, because they feel like they experienced the loss with you.
Speaker 1: Yea. And so when I'm texting you is like, you know, this dude knows like he knows the game. How long have you been fighting? Be thirteen years? In August. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like you've been in the fight game so long, it's like it just seems like such a like the biggest moment because it's happening right now and it's the UFC two sixty two, Like it seems so huge because it's you know, obviously I know all of us we're tuned in watching. Like again I was telling Cody, because we're all fired up at the house watching and we're moving. It's not like when Cody used to wrestle, like being on the mat watching him wrestling, and then when it happens, you're just kind of like it just takes the energy out and you just the moment seems so huge and that at that point in time. But it's like you've been in the fight game so long, you you like, this is this is.
Speaker 1: Like part of the journey. Yeah, it is, and I mean, I think the biggest thing. And this is why I so to give a little bit of background. You know, we already planned this to be here. You know, we did have the boat the belt on ye he said, the belt is coming to the bus and that's fucking sick. And you know, you sent me a nice text you know, like keep your head up type of deal. And then you followed back up and then I said, hey, just so you know, like I'll see you on the bus. And we were like, you know, I'm not quite sure, you know, Okay, Yeah, if you're down with it, let's let's go. But you don't have to feel me out like that. The seat was open because I was like, hey, man, thinking about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and said something else and you're like, yo, can I still come on the bus at one pm?
Speaker 1: I was like, you're goddamn right, like we got to see warm for you. Well, and that's I mean. And that's the thing, man, the old the old me would have you know. I kind of give a talk now about because I lost three fights in a row six hundred and eighty eight days. I went without winning a fight back a couple of years ago. And I made three mistakes, and the number one, the first mistake I made was I wanted to hide from the loss. Media was calling me. I was up for five of the year. They wanted me to present an award at the World MMA Awards. Hey, come present this award. I didn't take anybody's phone calls, anybody's text messages, anybody's emails. I was off social media because I was just embarrassed, ashamed. I wanted to hide. But man, this is where the growth happens. That happens, the growth happens in these moments where I can sit next to you. I mean a guy who's lost. I mean, you're an athlete. Everyone in here. It doesn't matter if you're an athlete, if you're a non athlete. We all suffer loss, we all suffer setbacks. We all make promises that we want to make good on. Like I wanted to bring that belt home, Like me and my son prayed for Daddy's belt every single night for the last two months, the last eight weeks, we prayed every single night about Daddy's belt and why Daddy is gone, Why Daddy has to be in Florida, has to be working, has to be training, has to be away from his son, away from his fatherly duties, away from the promise that I made to him. So I wanted to make good on that promise. But the belt is just the piece of the twelve pounds of leather and gold that signifies being a world champion. But in order to be a champion in life, you have to keep moving from setback to setback without losing the enthusiasm, without losing this steam, with complete disregard to my previous failures, my previous setbacks, one that just happened forty eight hours ago. I still got the black guy to prove it. You know, that was a million you know, millions of people saw it. And there's I'm sure there's a lot of people saying a lot of things about me, you know, eating my words and I wasn't that good or I wasn't you know. But I'm choosing not to hear those things and just moving forward in a positive light that this is part of the journey and when we do win that belt, when the belt does come on, the belt for the boys with the boys, it's going to be even better. So I hit the ground running this morning. I got a sauna session in forty minutes, just you know, discipline myself, Like Tommy, h no, I actually have one here. It's not put together. We just moved and stuff. So I just went to the YMCA and which is much hotter anyway. So I sat there for forty minutes and sweated it out, sweated out the sweat that was in me for that fight and then sweated it out. Monday morning, we hit the we hit the ground, run and did something for my body, my soul. And now here we are talking about it, expressing through the loss, admitting the failure, but not only admitting the failure, sitting here with a smile on my face, saying, Saturday really did end. Saturday night and Sunday morning a new sun rose, and Monday morning the sun rose again a little bit more painfully, a little bit more you know, a little bit more tough. But man, this is It's all part of life, this, this whole thing. And that's why people are drawn to mixed martial arts, is that is it's a metaphor for life. Like what I went through on Insat on Saturday night, had a really had a great first round one ten eight on two of the three scorecards, and then got caught, you know, got caught and lost, you know, and the other guy left with the belt that I was supposed to have. But yeah, this is life.
Speaker 2: Talk about because before we get into all the fight and everything like that, talk about those the next twenty four hours after that loss, after you you recollect your thoughts, you give the you give the interview with Joe Rogan, like, what are the next twenty four hours actually, like, like, yes, the sun does rise, and I think this is I was telling Garrett on the way over. The reason I'm uh, I was fired up about talking to you is because this is the majority of everyone's journey in life anyway, is failures. Most of the time, you fail your way to the top, Like you go through so many setbacks to end up see you at the top getting to the top, Like it's not just some escalator that takes you up there, Like this is.
Speaker 1: The majority of what life looks like is losing. Yep.
Speaker 2: So take us through those first twenty four hours after after the loss, after the press.
Speaker 1: Conference, you're banging your head against the mic.
Speaker 2: Like you can see the emotion, like it was it sucked watching it and you just know like fuck, man, take us through those those first twenty four to forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think the hardest thing, the hardest part about mixed martial arts is it is it is just so tumultuous. There there is always a chance that you can lose, even with even if you're a thousand to one favorite man, we're wearing four ounce gloves, these tiny little bitty gloves, and you have these spots on your body, you know, the temple, the chin, wherever it may be, the liver, wherever it may be, where the body just shuts off and says, nope, we're done and the fight is over. And I prepared perfectly. I left no stone unturned. I did every single thing that I possibly could. Lived my life like a champion. From the moment Hunter Campbell, who is number two in command at the UFC, and then Dana called me that that same day, and whenever they called me and said, hey, you're fighting Charles olivera May fifteenth for the UFC title. From that moment, I lived my life like a champion, did exactly what I needed to do to put myself in the best situation to win. So when it's over and you don't win, then it's then it's just you know, the kind of the bang in the head on the mic. I think it was after a reporter named Mark RIMONDI answered or asked me a question about something, and that's when you know, every now and then it just kind of hits you and you're like, dang man, it's over, Like it's over. You can't get this one back. It's not a dream. You're not gonna wake up and the bell's about to ring and you're gonna get another chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's exactly what we were saying. Like, I'm gonna let you finish my thought too. But when you like lose a playoff game or something happens where it's just not and it was the same thing when when it was final that you had lost, it's like waking up from a dream and that bell's gonna ring again and you're gonna have another shot.
Speaker 1: Yep, because I've had those nightmares, and a lot of times I do have those nightmares. Two weeks before, right, two three weeks before before the fight, I imagine, or I think I wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of night, like I got knocked out, I got choked out, or I got extremely tired, I got outclassed, I got just got beat. And you know, that's kind of what it felt like when when the press conference is over, then it's like, Okay, now you go back to normal life. I knew even even after the fight back there it was just me and my wife. I'm freaking crying, my cry my eyes out. Yusada is right there. Almost pretty much almost us that guy out because I'm like, dude, give me a second to breathe. Man, like I'm gonna pie in your cup. I'll get it.
Speaker 2: It's always trying to get you to take a pissed test right right when you got back.
Speaker 1: Oh man, well, I I was in the I went back to go see the doctor and he's doing the lights and the eyes to check my eyes, check my balance, check my concussion, whatever protocols. And he's there and he's like, hey man, and I'm with you, Sada, you gotta pee in this cup. I'm like, okay, well give me a second, man, Like give me, give me one second. And uh so then he followed me back there and just me and breathe, and then I, you know, did the use side of thing. I apologize to him because I wasn't wasn't the nicest. Did you cuss? Maybe? Probably? I don't know, man, you don't cuss.
Speaker 2: You're pretty, you're pretty, you're pretty disciplined with the custiner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know, man, it's and I think it's it's just it's that you know when it hits you, that it's it's over. And and that's but that's the thing. I I truly sit here, I truly sit here with zero regrets, like I did every single thing that I possibly could. And this is just the nature of life in general outside of an octagon, but in the octagon especially, it's just the nature of the business man. You you win some and you lose some, and unfortunately you're gonna lose often. I mean, I fought the number three guy in the world, guy who was on an eight fight winning streak, a guy who's not the number one guy in the world, a guy who you know, he's great, he's good. My next fight is gonna be against another guy who's top five. It was great. Whoever that is like, I'm you know, you're fighting in the upper echelon. You're going You're going to lose, and so I think that was that was just it. It's like, man if I had another shot, I would probably win that fight, you know. So you then you start playing you replaying it over and it's like, should I have let him up in the first round, and should or should I have done this? Or should I have done that? But when you did every single thing that you possibly could to put yourself in the best situation to win, you really can't have any regrets. And and that's the only thing I can ask for. If I if I lost that fight and I was like, gosh, dang man, if that weight cut wasn't so bad because I wasn't disciplined with my weight, or if I, you know, came in and I didn't and I and I knew I didn't really train that hard, or I didn't I slacked in this I slacked in the area I had no I had none of that because I did every single thing that I possibly could to win the fight, to get myself in the position when that cage door closed and that bell rang that I was going to showcase my skills and may the best man win. That's what I said. That's what I always say. I preach it all the time. You you got to embrace the uncertainty that's about to happen. And part of embracing that uncertainty is the fact that you may lose. Shoot, there might even be a fifty percent chance that you're gonna lose, a more than fifty percent chance that you're gonna lose because you're fighting the best guy in the world. It's like, like you said, a playoff game. You don't just fall to the playoffs. So you just fall into a playoff game. You have to be good enough to be in a playoff game. And then chances are you're you're playing against a team who is really freaking good, and you're both rising to the occasion. You're both rising to the occasion. And then made the best man win, and the better man won that night. I guess if you will, or that night he was the better man. We could fight ten more times and I could win ten more times. You never It's just part of the game. I know, man. And two, I didn't know it took him so long to get a title fight.
Speaker 2: Somebody had mentioned a stat that it's been eleven years since, like this was his first title fight, and it's been like eleven years for him to be in the game to get a chance.
Speaker 1: He signed with the UFC in twenty ten. I started fighting in two thousand and nine. So the guy's been cut his teeth in the organization. And that's what I said. I mean, and a lot of people, a lot of people see the things that I say on the microphone or in interviews or this and that, like I'm hyping up a fight, and I wasn't hyping up a fight. I truly believed that Charles Olaverro wanted to win just as bad as I did. This was his opportunity when he was born in the favelas of Brazil, which is like the ghettos of Brazil, and he had this glimmer in his eye that he was going to one day become a world champion in the UFC. This was that moment that he dreamed about, right, you know, and taken off away from him. He beat me, you know, And but I truly believed that I was going to beat him. And that's when that's when, that's when magic happens. When he got two guys or two teams, or two two individuals fighting for the same for the same exact thing. Someone's got to win, someone's gotta lose, and then it just then it just after that. It all depends on how does he respond as the champion and how do I respond to the guy who who lost in the championship fight. And I think by just by sitting here speaking about it, we get to move forward quicker than if we hide from it, shield our eyes from it, not answer the phone calls, not you know, all of a sudden just think that I'm not that good anymore, or fall into this self pity, the self perpetual, the perpetuating, revolving door of Okay, maybe I'm not that good and I truly believe I'm still gonna be a UFC champion. It just gonna take a little bit longer than I thought. Dude, Yeah, I mean, you're right, man. Adversity shows people who they are because it's all about how you respond to anything that happens ever in your life. It's all it's like, all in your response about how you do it.
Speaker 2: Are we uh, we're not. We're not doing the whole interruption of the the ad rates today because this is fucking yeah. Like, we're not gonna interrupt any type of juicy conversations. But Doey, is it time to do an ad read?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Free Fly Apparel. This episode of Bustling with the Boys is brought to you by Free Fly. Brands send us clothing all the time, and there aren't too many that I can actually say that I love enough to wear on a consistent basis. There is one brand that is so ridiculously comfortable it's become my go to for the past couple of years and free Fly I've noticed the shorts. The shorts are now in my life. I've talked about the long sleeve shirts before.
Speaker 1: Hang on.
Speaker 2: Free Fly mixed performance clothing made from buttery soft bamboo, and it literally feels just like that buttery soft bamboo. You might be asking, what is bamboo? What material is bamboo? You're gonna try this ship for yourself, boys, because it is that damn good. Do you have any free Fly apparel? You probably do have free Fly apparils, probably in your clothest somewhere. I'm gonna get you hooked up. I recently tried, like I just said, the shorts, and I boys, I'm on board with the shorts. They got like the built in it's like the built in briefs like a yeah, like a built in compression short and it's nice.
Speaker 1: I'm talking you can free ball in them. I'm usually nervous about the.
Speaker 2: Thighs rupping together because they're chafing, but you can wear these bad boys, Mike, like that. Free Fly apparel is nice with your inside, outside, hitting the gym, lounging around the house, whatever you do. On top of being super comfortable, free flies. Bamboo clothing also has UPF some protection. It looks away moisture and doesn't hold odor. You can get twenty percent off when you visit FreeFly apparel dot com slash bustin. That's b U S S I N again. FreeFly Apparel dot com slash bustin. Okay, perfect that that was a decent little set. There's these little set in there. I saw the ad come up the last couple of weeks we've interrupted. We have an alarm go off and we have to immediately go in. You have to one take, only you don't know anything about what you're about to read, and you just go one take and go through the ad. And we had Josh Wolf on last week and he just destroyed as chirped as hard. But uh, we've had fun with the ad reads. But to get back into the conversation about adversity creating, uh, I think Taylor tweeted it the other night too. Adversity show adversity. I almost just repeated what I said earlier, But essentially, adversity shows a man who he is. And another reason I was fascinated to say with you because I know you handle this stuff very well.
Speaker 1: I am curious to what you said earlier.
Speaker 2: The old Chandler would have not wanted to see anything, you know, been wanted to kind of hide shell away and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Why why were why were you that way back then? And why do you think it's different now? You know? I just think it's a maturation process. I think it's I think I'm much more comfortable in my own skin than I than I used to be, you know. I mean, I I make it no secret. I was a small guy from a small town who was taught to do small things and I and I broke that mold. But part of that mold, you know. But but I also see, like even even raising a child, you know, and you you brought up your dog earlier. Like what happens when when a dog knows that he Peter pooped on the floor and then you acknowledge it, the dog immediately runs away and tries to tuck their tail between their legs, and they want to run from it. They want to hide from it. When my son does something wrong, or he when we're potty training them and he peas or poops in his pants, immediately he doesn't want to make eye contact. He's looking looking away He even wants to lie. He wants to lie and tell you no, I didn't when you you know darn well he did because you can smell it. Yeah, this is I think it's it's it's partly human nature. I think it's partly you know, we as human beings, we don't want to let people down. We have this this innate yearning to to not let people down. And I think in mixed martial arts it's such an individual sport too, that the loss was on display for everybody to see, and it wasn't you know, it wasn't the boys loss. And the boys were behind me, right, you're behind me, and Tailor's behind me. My team is behind me, but it's not their loss. It's my. It's my no go to bed later that night, you know. And so it's it's such an individual thing, but in that there's so much freedom because you have the opportunity to show people that even in an individual sport, even though I can, like I said, I was coming here, I'm I'm not coming here with a belt, but I'm coming here with my heart on my sleeve. And I could show up today with my heart on my sleeve with complete disregard to that failure that I had just forty eight hours ago, and not disregard for it. But but I'm not going to let it hinder me. I'm not going to let it define me, because failure is an event and it's not a person. I am not a failure. I failed on Saturday night. But the way that I respond, in the way that I move forward, can prove to those that have failed, and proved to those that have seen the failure or had failures that they can in the future still become a champion. And I truly, I mean I was brought to tears earlier when I saw my wife make a post and she sent me a message and that I am a world champion in life because of who I I have in it, the things that I do have, the fact that I walked into onto the bus with two capable arms and two capable legs, and I get to do what I love, and I have a platform to reach people, and I do have love in droves. I have health in droves. I have ridiculous a ridiculous support system around me in abundance. And these are the things that last that that belt would have been awesome to bring on this bus but it's just twelve pounds of golden leather, and it will tarnish and it will fade, and it means a lot. It means. It means, it means the epitome of accomplishment inside the confines of mixed martial arts competition. It means I'm the number one guy in the world. But it doesn't mean that I'm going to be happy, doesn't mean that I'm to be healthy, doesn't mean that I'm going to live a long and prosperous life that will in turn inspire, motivate and reach people. So it's uh. The old Michael would have just would have wanted to not do this. The old Michael would have said, man, give me a couple of weeks, give me and that with those weeks would have turned into a couple of months, and they would have turned into you know, sleepless nights, and they would have turned into a lot of self pity, and they would have turned into a lot of blaming, and it would have turned into a lot of a lot of self deprecating thing, which really, truthfully is a lot of selfishness. I think I think we also we also look at our failures in a vacuum and say, well, I deserve this time to and I do. I mean, if if I and I know you understand this too. If I would have said, hey, man, i've seen a couple weeks. You know, maybe I'll be back on the bus and a couple weeks would have not thought anything of it. Give them a couple weeks, let them, let them cool off, let them let them lick his wounds if you will. And I think I've earned that, But I also know it does sometimes come from a a selfishness too, thinking that all of these things and these losses happen inside of a vacuum, and and they these weren't These things happened to us instead of for us. And I truly believe that this loss happened for me, so that this this chapter of this journey. Now we can close this chapter of the first World title. Uh, now it was a loss, and now I get to build myself back up, and I get to have some amazing fights, and I get to have that next chapter, which will be winning the UFC title, I think eventually. So I think the old Michael would have would have ran from it. The old Michael would have would have shielded himself from it and thought that Okay, if I if I just block everything out, that's where the real healing can happen, or until I win again, or until I went again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know a lot of times people want to get back to the spot where they're you know, obviously comfortable. Well that's and that's the hard because there's insecurity that comes with not wanting to face certain certain truths and stuff with that.
Speaker 1: And that's the hardest part about mixed martial arts. I mean, you brought your brother up earlier. I mean, obviously most of the boys know. I wrestled in high school, wrestled in college, and that was that was the best part about wrestling. If you lost on Wednesday, you got an opportunity to weigh in again Thursday or Friday or Saturday, and you get back in the wind column. I'm not going to get be able to get back in the wind column and get my hand raised and said that UFC octagon until you know, I don't know, November, December, January, so there there's going to be months and I can't wait that long. I can't I can't wait that long to say, Okay, I'll get back on the winning track back then, because my next training session will immediately become okay, either I failed completely or I was successful today. And the old Michael focus so much on being perfect. Once I got to a certain point, once I won that first world title, once I got to that number three in the world, number five in the world, once I got that world ranking, I focus so much on being perfect because that's what I thought a world champion was, That's what I thought an the athlete at the highest level was. But truthfully, we're all human beings, We're all flawed individuals. We will have we will suffer losses, we will suffer setbacks, and truthfully, it says so much more about how you conduct yourself after a loss than it would if I came here on the belt and on the bus with the belt. And not that I trust me, but always I wish I had the belt. Oh, I mean I wish I won. But but now it gives us an opportunity to talk about how do where do we go from here? How do we move forward? Or from here? And luckily I've been here before, and I've been and I've battled back from worse than losing to number three guy in the world. In a UFC title fight. There's a lot of great things that came from this weekend, and I think my response moving forward will do more for my legacy, for the future, accolades, for the support system, for the boys, for the following, for the everything than even the wind. You know. And I still got this. This story is far from being over. Is what is kind of next for you? You mentioned November, December, January, February. You think it's gonna be that long until you're able to get back in the ring. I think, you know. I mean, I've had a heck of a year, man, you have had a year.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's been a whirlwind. We came in hot man, because you had to be ready for the fight that you didn't end up fighting in. That was one step, which is obviously, you know, a great move by everybody's part.
Speaker 1: And it was a full training camp. Yeah, it did a full training camp for that opportunity, which was just a backup role. And then I did another full training camp for January, and then another full training camp for May, and now here we are May seventeenth, and uh, you know, halfway through the year, so I probably I'll probably be here in Nashville for a solid two months. I mean, I'm gonna go back to Florida. I have a home down in Florida now, So it's much like yeah, no, well it was. It was a mandatory. It was a mandatory situation. Like I was doing the VRBO thing, and then I had a book a VRBO and book a rental car, and now I just I'm gonna have my own life in Florida because you got your team and you're set up down there. Yeah. Yeah, So, I mean I have my gym here obviously, Nashville, MMA, and we can, we can train, and we can. There's the UFC call right now. Do you want to answer? We can cut it off if you want to answer it. Hey, it's the UFC man. Yes. This episode of Buzzing with the Boys is also brought to you by Roman. Boys. We have big news.
Speaker 2: Your favorite men's healthcare brand, Roman is now available Walmart. There we go, Rodom and Plaus boys. Come on, Jack, Jack, come on. Roman's non prescription products have got you covered with everything from sexual health to everyday health. Your well being as important and taking care of it should be simple. And now all you have to do is go to Walmart. In real life, Roman is now available at Walmart.
Speaker 1: We're in your area, so let's go take care of it boys.
Speaker 2: As for sexual health, Roman condoms are new and exclusive to Walmart. You won't find them anywhere else. Design Ultra thin Boys, Ultra thin, which is important. Lubrictted for pleasure and FDA cleared because safe is sexy. Over the counter medication, Roman swipes are an easy, discreet way to delay ejaculation and increase sexual stamina.
Speaker 1: That you didn't know that, Mike.
Speaker 2: They're fast acting and your partner will enjoy them too. Bream I like that, Mike, No pass along the Oh shit, God damn, here we go boys.
Speaker 1: Desentitization.
Speaker 2: Desentitization if you use as intended doctor formulated with twenty three nutrients. Roman Daily is a multi vitamin that has optimized with ingredients to support men's health and overall well being. Roman's team of in house doctors created this unique, high quality supplement to target nutrition gaps and men will specifically scratch that with scientifically backed ingredients and dusages. Remember, supplements are not a replacement for healthy a healthy diet, exercise, and good sleep. You've got to eat your good Greens and get your steps in, boys and girls. Since Roman Daily is a dietary supplement, not a drug, any mention of benefits of the product cannot allude to treating, diagnosing, curing, or preventing a disease or condition. Benefits or efficacy.
Speaker 1: Did I say that right?
Speaker 2: Statements should be kept to general maintenance of men's overall well being, men's health and overall well being.
Speaker 1: This is tough. Boys.
Speaker 2: Visit your local Walmart store today and check out Roman's line of men's healthcare products.
Speaker 1: Shout out Roman, no free shout outs. That was a tough thing. I love that you still do the no free shout outs. I love it, man.
Speaker 2: I see it, and you're like, I just want to give a shout out to wherever we're at. No free shout outs. Love it, man. You gotta stay, you gotta stay at the roots. Man started so good? So any decent news?
Speaker 1: Oh no, man, they're just calling and checking in, calling and checking in, man, And I uh, I'll tell you what, man. I I love I love my career, I love Bellator, I love fighting for them. But the ufc IS is a special special organization. The people that they have the level at which they operate, the security staff, the operations staff. They are just high functioning individuals. Man. They run the company and they invest in the company. They invest in the people like they're trying to take over the world. And that's what I love about them, and that's why I feel like I'm so equally yoked with them. So you got to get that phone call on Monday morning after the tough loss. You know, it's it's, uh, it's good. But like I said, man, work boots are on. Maybe you need to take a little look, take a little bit of time off, let the body rest, let the body like get back to neutral. Cool the jets a little bit. But this journey is far from over. Yeah. If I'm your agent on the phone, I'm saying, he twelve weeks. What we got boys, Let's get back in the ring. Yeah, I mean that's no. I mean it's uh yeah, we'll see you know, like we said, like we were talking, how I came out hot. So yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh and obviously there's gonna be some some uh some time in between now and your next fight. What is your routine and uh like body maintenance and training camps and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: What's that gonna look like for you for the next several months, Like how does that?
Speaker 2: How does that work for a fighter, because usually, yeah, you got a twelve sixteen week camp, but outside of that, like what does that stuff look like for you?
Speaker 1: So so for me, man, I've always just I've always just tried to teach treat my body head to toe like I'm a professional athlete, and I don't think a lot of fighters, don't. You know, A lot of them are. A lot of them show up into training camp eight weeks ten weeks out before ready to get in shape, shed the fat, get your cardio back up.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I want to be in tip top shape and ready to go the day my feet hit the pavement down in Florida, and I can move forward and do training camp in shape and you know, lean, ready to go. So I can just work on skills, just work on game plan, just work on acquiring new skills. So between training camps, like you know, I landed on Sunday, hit the son of this morning, so I'll do strength and conditioning this week. My body, you know, my body is not not banged up. I'm a little bit sore here and there. Took a couple of lake kicks, hands are sore as heck from you know, punching or whatever beat the shit out of me. Yeah, my hands are sore, dude. But but you know, but it's just the little things that I can just work around and just keep my body moving because I I truly believe this. I don't think we get old. I think we get lazy, and we get busy, we get really busy, and then and then we justify and then we become lazy. So I think at thirty five years old, I feel like I'm still twenty five. My body still feels like I'm twenty five because I've stuck to my body work. I've stuck to I use my roller every day, I use my soul right every day. I'm supplement. I did not miss supplements. I see this I brought Yeah, when I brought my supplement. I brought my supplements to the arena with me on Saturday night so I could take them Saturday night, and I took them, woke up Sunday morning, I already had another bag ready, took them Sunday morning. Have not missed my supplements since. And I imagine most people are like, ah, dude, that's only for training camp. I'm good. I'm gonna take a couple days off. Not me. I actually doubled my dose of omegas because I took some shots to the head. Double tripled my dose of turmeric and kirkcumin glued to thion antioxidant. So just like reading my body of the inflammation, We're doing some homemade enchiladas tonight. Shout out to breeze enchiladas. No free shade, no shadow. Going to corner pub picking up some smokes, smoke some smoke, some smoke chicken for enchilada's nice shout out corner pub. No free shoutouts, you know. So like it'll be it'll be a good home cooked meal. Like that's kind of feel like a cheap meal, but it's still healthy. Like, uh, it depends what are you putting on the manchiladas. Now, cheese going on. I'm not a big cheese guy, so I'm gonna lightly spread some cheese a lot of sour. I'm a big sour cream guy. Though.
Speaker 2: No no free shouts, just anything you say, Hey daisy, daisy sour cream.
Speaker 1: And I went to the bathroom. Hey, no free shouts of that bathroom. Uh you know, so so back to my body and taking care of me. I just want to I always say this too. I as a fighter, we always think, okay, well, punching, kicking, kneeing, elbowing, grappling, grappling and and grappling defense, those are those are the most important things. But I also think, if all things are equal and we're just as if me and my opponent to strike the same and we grapple the same, we wrestle the same. The guy who is the better athlete, who can push for longer and not just push for longer, but push for longer after it gets painful, who is mentally tough, physically tough, and a better athlete, that guy is going to probably be the guy who has a better chance of winning. So I've always just tried to become a better athlete, especially between training camps. So I'm working to I'll be doing a ton of strength and conditioning, lifting a little bit heavier, put on a little bit more muscle mass that I lost during training camp because I for eight to ten weeks, I'm basically operating at a calorie deficit every day to shed the fat, lose a little bit of muscle mass so I can make one fifty five, Like you know I woke up this morning one eighty four. Oh shit, Yeah, in a week or two, I'll be I'll probably be closer to one ninety, you know, after I put on maybe a little bit of a little bit of body fat. So I'm like cutting from one ninety to one fifty five. So I gotta lose a little bit of muscle mass to get down to Yo. That's insane, man, yea fifty five. It's not fun. It's the worst part about about fighting. But at what point were you one fifty five? Like when was the way in Friday? Friday morning and you're walking you're right now, what would you say? Four this morning? So you're walking around already twenty pounds heavier? Yeah, that's insane. That's thirty A is that thirty? Hey? Somebody checked that. Somebody checked the fucking tape. Do we say eighty four?
Speaker 2: It was eighty eighty car carry the carry the wings. That's thirty yeah, almost thirty nine. And granted I flew yesterday, So what are you still fucking doing here? Nobody grabbed a calculator. Just get mad lash out of somebody. Hey, it's not as easy for you like you're you know, but I always know eighty five is thirty, seventy five is twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's bad by me.
Speaker 2: I pride myself on math. So there goes any maths credibility of fun out there.
Speaker 1: You know. But if you ask me, you know, one twenty one twenty something to one fifty something, I don't know what that is, but I know what one fifty something to one. Yeah, seventy something, eighty something, ninety something, Just I get it. I didn't get it, right, man, No, you're good. That's that Missouri education, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So you're walking around thirty pounds heavier, Yeah, thirty pounds heavier ish?
Speaker 1: How much? How much weight do you gain from the way into the fight. So that was uh yeah, I was about one seventy seven when I did my workout Saturday morning because I always do a shakeout. I always doing like a hard pad session Saturday morning. Sweat a little bit, shake it out a little bit, go over a little bit of game plan stuff, and then we fight Saturday night. So I was like one seventy seven. See you're already up over twenty pounds. Yeah at that point. Yeah, well, I mean, just uh, simple nuts and bolts like a gallon of water weighs eight pounds, and I can crush a gallon of water in the first hour, so I'm already up eight pounds, and then after two hours, three hours, I'm already through two gallons of water. That's sixteen pounds.
Speaker 2: You know, is it like the old wrestling days where you go to the when you're a kid, you weigh in, you make weight, and you go to the nearest buffet in town and just load the plate up.
Speaker 1: No man, and that well, that's one of the great things about the UFC. No free shots, no shots out and no free shots. The buffets either about no fucking you got but no, you know, they have they had all their all meals set up. So I mean I had. I had a big old thing of rice and salmon, rice and chicken afterwards. So I had been eating essentially the same thing for the last eight weeks. So the last thing I want to do, I want everything in me. Wanted to go grab a pizza or even like a big pasta or something, and I think I did. I actually did have one gluten free pasta that night, no free doction, fresh shouts pasta.
Speaker 2: I thought we would come together and like you know, a bond over a memory of like being young, making way you go to the nearest buffet, but you like, no, you know, salmon rice and like, okay, yeah, no, I thought, before you uf title fight, you'und I just wanted to keep I wanted to keep it all all the same.
Speaker 1: And then uh, you know, and then afterwards, even that night, man, after the fight, I finally ate that Snickers. Did you did you hear about the Snickers? No? Like there was a so right before I got the phone call from Hunter Campbell, like two days before now, I guess a couple of days before that. We were at an airport because we went to San Diego and bre got me a snore. No free shouts, but she got me a Snickers. It's my favorite, my favorite candy bar. And I stuck it in my bag and I didn't eat it, and it stayed with me the whole trip. I forgot it, and then I got the phone call that I was fighting for the UFC title, and that same day I pulled it out and I'm like, dangdude, I can't eat this now this sucks. So I had it down to a Florida with me, Florida with me for the last two months like kind of set it up on my like, yeah, like you're not going to eat you this is like me, yeah, you know, creating boundaries. Yeah. And then so it made the Countdown show or no, it made Yeah, I made the Countdown show and it made the embedded show. And then and then people people immediately came and like look at Chandler trying to get the Snicker sponsorship or look at the UFC shamelessly promoting Snickers.
Speaker 2: And I was like, no, man, that's just a funny story, you know. Yeah, but Snickers if you want to sponsor a boy, yeah what Haler? Yeah, you know, no free shots if you want to be for the boys exactly. Because then in but it was after the fight, it was already so late, you know.
Speaker 1: I didn't hit the press conference till almost one, and then everything was pretty much closed, Like I could have got pizza cut out something. I was like, I was like, babe. That was because Bree was like, hey, what can I get you? And get you some food? Get you what do you want? And alcohols out of the question because I got you know, tk O. So I wasn't gonna drink anything. Yeah, But as far as food. I you know, all bets are off. I could have eaten anything. But then it's like this would make me feel real depressed if I really filled myself with a bunch of freaking food. So I was like, process, many, Yeah, I'm gonna eat this. I' gonna eat the Snickers and I ate. I think I ate, like, uh, another protein bar or something, And that was pretty That was it. And then I woke up the next morning and had had breakfast. But Snickers is your favorite candy bar by far. That's what I took out of that whole thing. Yeah, but well, I mean I used to have them, like back in wrestling, but all the way back to wrestling, man like, like, just get done with weigh ins, you know those wrestling those wrestling tournaments. Loud as heck, you're just freaking munching on a Snickers or like goober, do you ever have goober back in the day? Oh uh yeah, chocolate, yeah goober? No, no, sorry, no, it was the it was the jar that had peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter, jelly, peanut butter jelly. It's called Google. I don't think so Google.
Speaker 2: I thought goobers were like a little uh, little Yeah, a little ball that you get the movies or some ship.
Speaker 1: Goober? Is it called goober? Yeah? Man like that with on some bread.
Speaker 2: You know, that's what that's That's what reminds me of sounds like it's just called a peanut butter and jelly sandwich pretty much, but it's it's peanut butter and jelly jelly sandwich in a jar. You don't have to have a jar and a jar jelly and the bread.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you only have two ingredients instead of one? I want to go back to the Snickers. Yeah, no free shouts. Top three candy bars, Uh, Snickers, Baby Ruth, Baby Ruth, Baby Ruth. Are you just trying to be different there? You really like you don't like Baby Ruth.
Speaker 1: I like Baby Ruths. I don't think it's in my top three? Yeah. And then Almond Joy Coconut Almond Chocolate Top three, all three, no free shouts to any of you guys. Almond Joy, Yeah, bro light a light. I mean I'm probably missing a couple, but you're Missingese's. Yeah, No, I do. I like. I like Reese's in ice cream, Like I'm like a big I'm a sucker for Reese's and ice cream, bro anything chocolate. I'm a big chocolate guy.
Speaker 2: You'll go into the frozen yogurt, you know, little spot get you first of all, you sample the entire place. Yeah, you have to say, and you probably sample it again because you're like not quite sure. You got to go through the whole the whole list, even the surbert that they try to put in there that make you feel better about yourself. Like I'll try the sherbet and yeah, don't like sherbet. Again, you gotta try them all and then you gotta eliminate.
Speaker 1: Then you gotta make it to the second round. Then you try to sample a few more. By that time you're alread getting a little fool but you know what you want, you know what I mean, I like to At that point, it's all it's all chocolate for me. Like, yeah, I don't sample the fruit the fruit stuff. Same, I'm not a I'm not the fruit bar stuff either. Like it'll be like all the strawberries and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm talking all the candies, all the like the caramel, the fudge.
Speaker 1: That's the best. Boys, what are you guys? Top candy bars? M isn't a bar?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a that's a little debay too. Yeahs isn't either. I mean, I guess, I mean it's a cup. It's it's so you're Sayingese's isn't the candy bar?
Speaker 1: Okay? What about the East the Easter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the eggs, the bunnies, that's a bar, the bunnies, Reese's period, Reese's is up there. I I am a huge fan of Snickers, big Snickers guy. I'm also a big heath bar guy means a sleeper. I like it more my in my ice cream. But I'm a big heath bar guy. Yeah, that's questionable. I understand. Stick your teeth too, right, Carmel, But then first bites man, and when when you when you bite into the heath bar too, and kind of like the uh, the aura, the vibe that comes off of the bar, of the sensation that kind of goes in your mouth, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I love that. No balls, So you don't like this ship, dude, you don't like you don't like? Huh? Candy bar reviews is going to be coming up soon. There you go.
Speaker 2: Did you see my mental going in the trying to figure out what the taste was like? The boys do bars. I do think it's a vibe boys bars, I.
Speaker 1: Think them all up.
Speaker 2: When you bite into a heath bar, it's like it's like, I don't know, it's like an essential oil feeling your filling your mouth like a heath that heath taste, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That it's an experience. Yeah, but you don't like Baby Ruth. I like Baby Ruth, you know. I like chocolate, I like nuts, I like caramel. Yeah, I mean that's all in there.
Speaker 2: I'm just surprised that it's actually making your top three. Yeah, it's all, it's all. I'm just surprised it's making your actual top three. And all'm enjoy I get it. You like coconut, you need it. Seem like you've got a healthier ish bar in there. I just don't see how it's actually making your top three like that. Like there's so many good candy bars out there, twis We've been talking about twits.
Speaker 1: See, I'm I'm not the big wafer, not like the wafer that much, but I like the chocolate and the just chocolate and wafer, right, I have the caramel sitting in there on top, dude.
Speaker 2: Caramel kit cat bars butterfinger. Oh butterfinger? Ah see no, no, you like all'm enjoy over the what we just named? Yeah, because see I don't I don't like. I don't like what was the one we just said?
Speaker 1: Uh, twix? No butterfinger. But I don't like butterfinger because I feel like it's fake. It's too fake of peanut butter. I see we're saying, not like Reese's. That's that's like peanut butter. You could put on a sandwich and make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but you can't. I don't like the butter fingers.
Speaker 2: I'm a I love the I love butter fingers, but butterfingers you can actually you can't like have like small bites of butter fingers because you take a bite and it flakes all over you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: She's gotta shove the whole thing. Yeah. What else? We got? Milky Way? I was never a big milky Way guy. No, we got a soft I like. I like the crunch of a nuts. Are good.
Speaker 2: Crunch of a nutun Sorry, I'm in a nut bro her. She's like, it's like whatever, you know what I mean, Like, just give me hers she's kiss her, She's is just chocolate crunch bar.
Speaker 1: Don't really care, Mike going back to the way and thing, whoa whoa, whoa you ever? I'm sorry, I thought we were doing with this. It sounded like we were doing it. The boys are doing bars bro. No, no, go back to the fucking way. Hands.
Speaker 2: Now. I am interrupting this podcast because I have found an incredible website. You all have to check out nuts dot com. Shout out nuts dot com no free shout outs. Nuts dot com is the best kept secret of savvy snackers across the country. We're talking to high quality variety boys and girls, white chocolate, toffee, cashews, Bourbon pecans, Bourbon pecans sound amazing, by the way, Bourbon Bourbon pecans, crystallized ginger and honey sesame sticks. Nuts dot com isn't just for nutlovers. No, it's your one stop online pantry shop as well. An incredible variety of snacks and pantry items made available to you like candies, dried fruits, and pantry items like baking mixes, pasta and more. The simple and convenient way to have nutritious, delicious, healthy nuts, dried fruit, flowers, grains, and so many more high quality foods delivered straight to your door. Over four thousand products to choose from Delicious, Healthy Kids, family snacks, drites, drawp areas, and custom trail mix, plus all the raw, organic, roasted, salted and candied nuts you can imagine, even chocolate dip nuts. Easy to navigate website with great photos of the products. A family run business that takes pride great pride in getting you the freshest nuts dot com stuff available. Nuts dot Com is your one stop online pantry shop. Gluten free and vegan options are also available, fast delivery. Most orders ship the same day, fresher products than as supermarket boys. New nuts dot com customers get free shipping on your first order when you text barstool. That's b A R S t O L to sixty four thousand. So text barstool to sixty four thousand to get free shipping on your first order from nuts dot com Barstool to sixty four thousand.
Speaker 1: Terms apply available and nuts dot com slash terms. Back to the fight thing you ever face to face with somebody at the way in and then getting the octagon and be like, oh shit, they are way bigger than they were the other night. Uh no, because I know I am like, I bet that that's what they think about me. Okay, fresh outs to me, free shouts. No, but uh no, I mean I think sometimes Yeah, I mean it is a crazy thing because we you know, you spend all this time thinking about your opponent. You spend all this time watching footage or or maybe their fights or their highlights, their low lights. Then you do their face off and the way in and you sat you see him one fight week, they started a little bit sucked down, a little bit frail, and then when you step inside the the Octaguy, okay, that's a fight. He's a very big boy, you know. Charles Olivera was definitely taller than me, longer than me, but he was very he was slender. I guarantee I weighed more than he did. But no, not really. I mean we're all all relatively the same size. You know, you're built like an am staff. I'm a pretty good pit, you know what I mean. Two c's let's talk about the fight. First round number one, Me and my brother shout out. Ain't no free shouts to Cody Compton, but all three shots. Because he's a boy.
Speaker 2: We've obviously armchair QB this whole thing. Yep, you know what I mean. The why didn't you let him up? Let's talk about the first round. Did you ever feel in trouble when he had your back? Like when you were because you did a great job controlling the wrist, But were you ever there's times.
Speaker 1: Where I was getting a little nervous.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh shit, especially when you picked him up and slammed it down it it didn't seem like it got him off off of you.
Speaker 1: Were you ever feeling a little nervous about that? So I wasn't because I really feel comfortable when someone has my back that they're not going to choke me. I can shrug my shoulders and I don't have the longest neck and it's like built like a pit. Yeah, you know, so it's like I'm not that easy to choke for the most part. And then when I get hit and I get risk control and I get a one on one or I get my two hands on his one wrist, which is what I did. Yeah, a couple of shots because he had the one arm free. But but for the most part, I knew I wasn't letting that that bad dog go. And that's when I preached all the all the young guys who are out there grappling, it's like you get that one that one wrist. A, you're gonna get out, and B he can't choke you. So I held it and I had that sucker for like a full minute. I think, oh, yeah, my forearms are sore as heck, and it's not from anything else. Was I's probably holding that sucker for dear life. And then and then I did. I usually am able to do exactly what I did, and he was. He is literally the best grappler in the lightweight division, maybe one of the best grapplers on the planet, most submission wins in the UFS, in the UFC, most submission wins in the UFC history. And I didn't really feel in danger, and I was able to reverse it by keeping the keeping the two on one going over my head and spinning inside of his his triangle that had around my body. He had long legs, so he made a figure four. Not right, he made a figure four in my body because his legs were so long, which is not an easy position. He squeezing the heck out of yet, yes, but once you start getting sweaty by that time, we were sweaty. Slammed him. It kind of loosened up a little bit. Then we kind of sat there a second. He threw threw a couple punches, a couple of elbows, but I was kind of just buying my time, waiting to explode. And I exploded and then got on top. Yeah, and then you put on a little bit of a show. I thought they were going to stop the fight at one point. I thought, man, dude, I'm telling you, we were on our feet screaming. Dude. I thought that they were going to end up stopping the fight at that time. And and that's where that's where I go back and forth, because I think I think if I would have just backed off and said get up, maybe I could have knocked him out. But then again, I'm I get a lot of finishes when I'm on top of the guy, just ground and pounding, you know, grounding and pounded him. I have good. I have pretty good. He just long, he's at the really long legs. He was trying to keep me at bay. Threw a couple of kicks, came back in. You know, I'm trying to you know, you're aiming for the temple the side of the head, hit the ear, jaw obviously landed, landed some good ground, and pound strikes a couple of elbows cut them open. So I think I think it was a fifty to fifty thing if you look at it and you think, man, what it should have could I probably should have just stood him up. We got about a minute fifteen left. I maybe could have finished him on the feet. But then again, you know, my intuition says, if I got a guy hurt on his back, I'm gonna be able to finish him on the ground. And I've done it numerous times in the past, so I don't I don't say that that was a bad decision. I think it was a decision that maybe could have yielded a knockout or finished. But I also could have very easily just finished him on the ground as well, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: When so like when like Rogan and those guys talk about going back to your feet, Like what is the benefit of that other than being on your feet and being like Mike's better on his feet stuff like that, Like is there an extra ben like an added benefit?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it that he's days and he's shaken up and you're like making him stand up, and he's gonna have to fight.
Speaker 1: Without all that. Yeah, So I mean conventional wisdom, And every fight's a little bit different, every scenario is different depending on my attributes and his attributes. But conventional wisdom would say, Okay, he just got dropped. I dropped him with the left hook, hit him a couple of times. He's on the he's on the ground, he's kind of like dazed. I saw the way he was looking at me, kind of was looking at me like a deer in the headlights. So to me, I say, I'm going in for the kill. I'm gonna knock him out on the ground. But I also could have just backed off, said come up. He would have stood up, probably would have been a little bit wobbly. And if I landed a couple shots, my power punches on the feet were going to be more effective than the power punches on the bottom. But I also had I also had the film study that said he'd been finished, he'd been finished on the ground before, and if Paul Felder can finish him on the floor or other guys can finish him on the floor, I could definitely finish him on the floor. So I think that's where I thought, Okay, I can finish him on the ground, or if I don't, I go back to my stool confidence of sky high. He starts to wilt and that's where I thought we were, and that's pretty much where we were. But he just you know, landed something in the second round, and you know, I fight it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then at the end of the first obviously you went back in at the just the last like five seconds, try to getting back in there. But is there a thought too, like fuck, I should have I should have backed up and stood up. Not in the fight, there wasn't but now now looking back at it. But that's that's the unfortunate thing about this too. You can always after.
Speaker 1: You lose, lose. We all know what you should could. We could have done this, and maybe it would have been different. Or I could have done that, and maybe it would have been different.
Speaker 2: So the wood I should have could have such a such a tough game to play, and I try not to play it too much anymore because I also I trust myself.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I said, I if I didn't I knew, I knew I did everything that I possibly could to be successful that night. Yeah, to have no regrets. And then I also know that I trust myself to be in the fire. I trust myself, like you know, if say, he doesn't finish me with that flurry and I'm like hurt or whatnot. I trust myself.
Speaker 2: I know myself to go into autopilot, don't and I don't get finished, and I would have been able to fight for twenty twenty more minutes and I would have won the fight.
Speaker 1: I truly believe that. But you know, the fight happened how it happened. But I don't know. I trust myself to make the decision right, to make those decisions in the heat of the moment. Yeah, and uh, you know, so I wouldn't say that I made a bad decision. I think I made a decision, and I think, uh, you know, now we get to you know, play would have, should have could if we want to for sure, you know, And I don't say that like we should or shouldn't. I mean, yeah, it's all I'm curious, what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just curious what's going on in your mind, like as the stuff plays out, because you know, I'm thinking in times where I should have made a different decision, you know, I'll sit on the bench or something like I should have done this, Like next time I'll get to see it. Obviously we get more opportunities to see it again. But like I'm just curious of the athlete, and you like when you get to the to the end of that first round, you're like, I should have just stood this dude up. Obviously you're thinking, I'm all whoop his ass in the second round. We all everyone's excited going into that second no matter what I mean. There was there was two ten eights on.
Speaker 1: The scorecard and one ten nine on the scorecard, right, so two of those two of those judges thought I beat him bad enough to give him give me a ten for sure. So so in that position, when you get done with the first round, I'm going back to the I'm going back to the stool, back to the corner, you know, confidence hide. It's oh similar to if you mess up on the first down, you're not thinking about the first down, going to the second down. Third, you finish the drive, maybe you go back to the bench. Then you think about what I could have done differently, Like me, that's more after the fight. Now, It's like whereas when I went back to the stool. I'm just listening to my coach. Coach Henry's in front of me, Coach Comed's behind me. We're talking about this, that and the other thing. Keep it simple. Fight's going great, fight's going just you know fine. I mean, at this point, the best grappler on the planet took my back, wasn't able to finish me. And even even better, I reversed him, did damage beat him up a little bit, was winning the striking battle on the feats. I mean, it's the fight was going great. So it's you know, at that point, you're just you know yeah, because and.
Speaker 2: If you end up winning that fight, no one's even talking about the first round like you should have stood him up. This is obviously all the hindsight, like fuck the way you want to wake up from a dream and be like, hey, is it going to get there?
Speaker 1: Be redone?
Speaker 2: But in the second round, man, because he barely he barely caught you, and is it like lights get fuzzy for a second, and it was such a quick turnaround that you're just like, I just gotta get I just gotta quickly get back, like you said, and get back on this siddle pilot before he because you almost get fucking out and he just catches you with that left hand to end it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk talk talk us through that. Yeah, I mean, it's it's all you know, it's it's all fuzzy, you know, more than anything. But I mean yeah, I mean, I I remember, you remember getting hit. I mean, and I can also go back and watch the replay. So then when you watch the replay and then you think, you try to close your eyes and think, Okay, what did I actually see in the fight? You know, you get clipped, and then you're you know, then you're just then you're just moving, you're evading, you're trying to you just going. You go into survival mode, because I mean, there's there's the moments in the fight where you go into survival mode and you survive, and then you go into survival mode and you don't survive like this last one. I didn't obviously, but I've been in those positions before where you got to go from I'm either you know, you're either extreme offense or your defense or your survival mode. In this in this particular fight, I went, you know, kind of survival mode. You're you're fuzzy, you don't know which way is up, your your equilibriums off, and you just you know you're there, but you're not really there. And then before you know it, he runs away, and you're like, dang, fights over.
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, You're like refs right here, and you're like, well, I could argue with this, but I probably shouldn't argue with the stoppage because this guy knows what he did.
Speaker 1: I want to make an idiot of myself, you know, because we've all been there before, too, are we all? We all have as fans have been like why is he contesting that? Stop? But she was a getting beat up or b he tapped, And there's been fights where guys have tapped out completely. The guy gets up and runs away and then the guy's like, why'd you stop the fight? And you're like, dude, you did you you tapped? You do not remember tapping. You were obviously out, you know. So that's the hard part too, is it's and and even and I actually do I'm blessed that I actually got to get on the mic after the fight and Joe came over, because sometimes Joe doesn't do that, and sometimes they don't interview the guy who lost, especially after a t K or something like that that because there's been guys who are like mumbling and humbling, they're like, you know, they're kind of they're still out and they don't really remember what they're saying or they're saying talking incoherently, and that's not good for the sport. That's not good for like Joe. Joe has like gone back on his podcast after on a Monday after a Saturday fight, like, yeah, man, I shouldn't have interviewed that guy. You know, that was that was my bad. I should have just cut it right, you know, cut it. And they said, you know, in my ear, they said, interview him. I just knew he was messed up. He stumbled over me. I shouldn't have done that, because that's just not only is a tough spot. You know, the guy just got his hopes and dreams and heart ripped out, but he's also maybe he's not there coherently. But for me, you know, I was able to get on the mic and I set my piece and shout out to you know, Olvera, no free shouts. He's the world champ, you know, and and you know, tap hat tip to him and let people know I'll be back. And it's you know, it's all part of it. Do you know who you think you might be fighting? I don't like who would be on your radar, Like I don't know people stone around Gaigee people obviously what's gonna happen after Connor and Pourier fight and like maybe the loser of that or something like that, Like who are people that would be on the radar for you? Well that would make that you think in your mind would make sense for you and possibly the UFC. Yeah, I mean essentially anybody in the top five makes sense. You know. It's this The division moves so fast. The sport moves so fast. I mean, that's what even with the UFC brass you know, talk to them after the fight and they're just like, hey, man, keep your head up, keep working, man. This sport moves fast. It's what have you done for me lately? Business? You're only as good as your last fight. But when your world class and you're in the top five, your world class, and you're in the top five, and there's a I've only fought Dan Hooker and Charles Olivera at this point, Like you said, there's there's Poorier, there's get Chee, there's Connor, there's Ferguson, but Neil dry Yush is now in the top five. There's so there's there's no no shortage of guys to fight. But at this point, obviously Connor and Poitier a fighting July tenth. We could see who the winner or the loser of that is. You got Tony Ferguson and just lost, but Neil dry USh who just came in. Traditionally, you know, a guy who comes off a win fights a guy who comes off a win, a guy who comes off a loss fights a guy who comes off a loss, and then one guy moves up and one guy continues to move down. So I think, really any of those names make sense. I mean, the only one that's kind of a wild card is Connor, because Connor does Connor does have a little bit more say than than most guys. I think if Connor, if he loses this fight, though, if he loses this fight, he's still not gonna fight me. I think me and Connor don't. Me and Connor don't match up well for him because he's a he's a striker, and I could I could grapple the heck out him if I wanted to. You know, like I think it's a it's a bad fight for him, Whereas if I was the champion and Connor won, Connor would go for the title no matter what and fight, you know whatever, like just like the fucking be But uh so, I mean Gaetchee or if Poorier loses or Ferguson, you know, like those Feruson just I mean he's getting old, yes, but I mean but he's entertaining. Man. People love him. People do love like people learn. At the press conference, man, he broke out the greatest line of all time, freaking Dana White privilege. It was freaking hilarious, dude. It's it was like for the time that we live in, Like you know, obviously that's somewhat of a negative connotation, the whole white privilege thing, and like, but like the funniest ship dude, Dana White privilege, Dana White. He's like, man, you got this thing handed to you. Man, you got Dana White privilege, and Dana just and I look up at then I'm like, thanks, Dana. You know. It's just so man, It's it's a it's a fun group of it's I want to beat them all. I want to fight them all. But like, it's a fun group of guys to be in with. You know, we're we're gonna have some fun the next couple of years. And I just hope it culminates at some point with me fighting for the world title again. And really all that all that needs to happen is me win one, two three. However, Membre fights, right, you show out the next fight, man, show out, next fight. Continue to show that I'm world class and why I'm here. And I mean, and that's the thing too, when it's it's it's such a crazy game of inches and you're fighting the best guys in the entire world. So, yeah, I lost, but I lost to the number three guy in the world. I lost to the eventual world champion. You know. Yeah, so and fight number twenty or I need to fight number fifteen. It's like, no, okay, now I'll fight number four, and I'll fight number two, or I'll fight number five, or I'll fight you know, I'm number four. I'll probably still be you know, I'll probably still be number three or four when the rankings come out on Tuesday tomorrow. Oh so we'll know tomorrow, Yeah, pretty much. I mean, you lost to the eventual champion with a ten eight round. Well that's the thing too, I mean, you know what I mean, It's not like like if you lost the world champion on a ten a first round. Yeah, there's some people out there who were like, hey, immediate rematches go Chandler Oliver too right away. I mean that that's a possibility. Do I think that's gonna happen. But if I got Dana White privilege, I mean, hey, we need that Dana White privilege. Baby for the running Beast is just a joke. Like the people freaking mma fans are gonna hate me. This guy we hate from the beginning, and this is why we hate him now tomorrow night, he's just scrolling on a Twitter and Instagram and he just sees that one clip. Hey, if I get that Dana White privilege, and that's all it is.
Speaker 2: Well at this point, Saint, you just got to run with it, man. You know it's I mean, especially something like that, there's there's a little bit of the you know thing happening when the world with that. And then there's also the Dana White's last name and it was said by a guy named Tony by the guy liked when he Ferguson.
Speaker 1: It's you know, it's all part of it. But I mean, I think the general thread and not even if I just take myself out of it, and I just look at my body of work coming into the UFC, and then what I did. We just got done, Sam and I came out hot. I did everything that was asked to me. I showed up like the blue collar Midwest kid with the work boots on, just like my dad. Just I showed up with my work boots on. When the phone rang, I said yes one time, two times, three times every single time they called, and two or three other times whenever guys didn't take the fight. I was supposed to fight Tony ferguson October twenty fourth, he said no. I was supposed to fight Dustin Pooria October twenty fourth, he said no. It was supposed to fight Tony ferguson January twenty third. He said no. And then even when I beat Dan Hooker January twenty third, they said, hey, do you want to be the co main event against Charles olivera February thirteenth, And I said yes. I was at Cane Prime here in Nashville. I had a stake in front of me. I had a glass of wine. Got no free shouts to cap I'm m Street. All the restaurants are there, fucking create so and I stopped eating my stake right there. I said, check please, we'll take it. We'll take it to go box. I was on a date with my wife. Hunter Campbell called and said, hey, do you would you do this? And I said yes? And then Charles Oliver eventually turned it down. It was it was on three weeks notice. I was going to fight Charles Oliver in February thirteen. So these are all just the things that have happened six yes. So these are the things that have happened outside of this, the fights that I've actually had that that I think I was rewarded for. That's why I got the title shot. You know. It's you've always stayed ready, stayed ready, And the UFC is the biggest and baddest promotion on the planet, and they keep things moving very fast in a forward trajectory. And if you're on the on board with them, if you're on the wagon with them moving forward, and you're going to say yes, You're going to be rewarded for it and it and it you got to be a good employee first. You know you're a good employee. First you get put in a great position. And this is in the corporate world, the business world, other sports worlds, or mixed martial arts. Be a good employee first, be a good ambassador for your organization, be a good ambassador for your weight class, and a good ambassador for yourself, and then you will things will usually work out well for you. And I think that's why I got the title shot and now continue to operate with the same through the same vein that I have since day one, and we'll get a fight well, and then we'll see what happens after that. I love it. You want to do an ad? Read? Yeah, would you like to do one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's not like yeah, like we do it it. Yeah, slick spirited Ice. Shout out, slick spirited Ice, no free shoutouts. Also that brought to you the whole episode thing, Chandler, go ahead and take it away where it says introduction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, bro. The time has come for Happy Hour to finally live up to its name with the introduction of slick spirited ice. Slick is a brand new hard Yes that means boozy freezer pop that is crafted with elevated flavors to inspire good times. Available in different premium spirit offerings, including rum and a gave eight percent alcohol by volume one hundred percent calories are less each naturally flavored to deliver incredible and refreshing taste, conveniently enough to throw in the cooler and bring along to the backyard barbecue, boating on the lake, or day blazing at a pool party. Do the mandatory call the action yep, so swipe your typical So swap your typical. So, swap your.
Speaker 2: Typical summer cocktail or seltzer with Slick Spirited Ice. Scoop up a box or two or ten at your local Walmart or liquor store and load your freezer for the upcoming weekend. Just know that once that slick sipping once you, just know that once you slick sipping will never be the same. To learn more, go to Slick Spirited Ice dot com. This that has been brought to you by twenty one Holdings LLC in what Chicago, Illinois. Must be twenty on up to purchase and consume. Please drink responsibly. Hey, that was that was Thank you, low man. You went low with the I tried that little undertoned voice, you know at the end.
Speaker 1: It was so good. It was kind of fast. Oh yeah, I try to do a little fast paced voice. Is good. You did a solid job reading, like I can you.
Speaker 2: Like to read?
Speaker 1: He just goes in the most genuine Wait, well I can read. I can read.
Speaker 2: Oh, contrary to popular belief. Yeah, fighters can read most of us. It's surprising that you can read and found forty eight hours ago.
Speaker 1: But I could definitely read about slick spirited ice. Yeah. What do we got?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: What do we have?
Speaker 1: Alex?
Speaker 2: You have?
Speaker 1: You have some stuff popped up? Did we have any fan questions? Any good ones? Any good videos? Comments? I need to leave in a few minutes. What time? Yeah, what time it's on? It's two fourteen. I gotta be there by too. Oh yeah yeah, yeah. One one question with him and hey daddy, dude, you man, dude. I know one day morning took cap the school, hit the sauna, did the bus? How often do you go to the YMC and hit that sauna? Uh? Just depends, I mean often. Oh. Actually, the sauna just now got back open from COVID. Now is it a It's not an infrared, it's straight hot song, war dish and sauna and then there's a steam room as well. Would love to join you one Dreen Hills, Let's go bro. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was looking into going yesterday, but they were closed by the time I got home because I drove back from Missouri and uh, I wanted to sit in the ols on and sweat everything out for the weekends and partying hard for the boy for the boy.
Speaker 1: But uh, but yeah, I would love to join you. It's so whenever you go this week, just let me know when you're gonna good. What do we have here? Jacob Jacob Schaffner.
Speaker 3: The boys shout out to go Michael Chandler. So I got two questions, one for the boys, one for Michael Chandler. For Michael, what's the difference in like a UFC title fight and a Bellator title fight? And how was that preparing in the atmosphere like in Houston? And what do you think, well, you'll change or do something different at all if you do anything for your next title fight in the UFC, because they obviously know you're going to be back, no doubt, greatest ever. And then for the boys, do you think you'll ever do one of those celebrity boxing matches like the Paul brothers are doing, and if so, do you think Taylor could kick Logan Paul's ass? Maybe, maybe not, but that's just the questions. Shout out to the boys, Love you Taylor and Will I guess you're.
Speaker 1: My dad's but see you at the top. Yes to see you at the time. Shout out Jacob Schefner. Thanks Jacob Man. A great question because I obviously fought the majority of my career in Bellator, you know the number two organization, and the UFC has been around the longest. I would say the biggest difference is I I won three world titles in Bellator, fought for the world title numerous times, defended the title numerous times, and they were in big crowds. They were in big arenas, the atmosphere was big. But this time was different because everybody knows, or if you don't know, you're you're kidding yourself. Fighting for the UFC title means you are the number one guy in the world, no ifans or butts, that's just it's just how it is. So when I was stood across the octagon from Charles Olivera, I knew the winner of this was become the number one guy in the world, and if I won, I was going to be not just the UFC World champion, but the world champion, the number one guy in the world. So I wouldn't say there was that pressure, but there was that confident expectancy of the excitement of what it was going to be had I won the fight, and then really just you know, as we've talked about, the UFC is just a well oiled machine. The UFC has quarterbacked and championed the entire sport, the entire industry, and built it into what it is. Essentially, the other organizations there's about three or four other major organizations outside of the UFC. They can all just show up to venues put on shows, and they don't have to do a ton of promotion because the UFC is putting on so such big shows, touching every corner of the globe, putting so much money into marketing and building the sport that really all the other organizations can just show up and throw fights and they'll do decently well because the UFC is building the sports. Right, That's very apparent when you're there, is.
Speaker 2: It pretty dope? When Bruce Buffer is just going off introducing you. You know what I mean, Like you're like, I'm in his fucking ring. He's introducing me.
Speaker 1: It's it's dope, and and and even it even just some like you know, I I started watching. My teammate was on the first guy on the card, the first fight of the card, the dude that was a fucking banger fight. Yeah great, this guy named Sean Soriano. And and I was watching the fight, and then they'd say, Okay, now that this fight is over, let's turn turn our eyes to what's gonna happen later tonight. And then it was like Chandler and Olivera and like and it's I I've watched so many UFC pay per views, and I've watched the pre limbs getting pumped up to watch the fights. But this time they were talking about me. And I was in my hotel room and in the window behind me was the Toyota Center right back there, a couple of hundred yards away, where I was about to report just a couple hours later, to go do handle business and go fight for the title that they are talking about on my computer screen right now. So it was just it was cool, man, it's and Bruce Buffer and and they did the they did the blackout completely with the the lights around. Yeah, I mean, which I've seen on on TV on the pay per views, and but this time it was me inside the get inside the out gun and and I just I rose to the occasion. I lost the fight, but I rose to the occasion. I had a fight. I did everything I could. I didn't feel I felt like I was where I was supposed to be. Man, Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But that's the beauty of this freaking sport.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You just you take your losses. You take the wins. You never you never you never take the wins for granted because they aren't that easy to come by. And you definitely don't take the UFC title fight, the title shot for granted because those are hard to come by too. So I believe we'll get another one eventually, but we'll see. I appreciate you coming, bro. I know you got to go be a dad. Gotta go be a dad. Man back to daddy, dude. That's good man, this is what I want to be though. Hey what do what do you?
Speaker 2: What do you uh you think Dana? The way Jake paul Or calls out Dana wife for not paying fighters. I man, I I don't know Dana pays me?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so, I.
Speaker 2: You know, we're we're always gonna complain about, don't we all, Like there's guys in the NFL.
Speaker 1: You want to make more money, like we all want to make more money. We all and get I get MMA, and the UFC is a little bit different because we don't have a player's association or a union or whatnot. But we also just started what twenty eight twenty nine years ago, so we're still in our infancy as far as the sport goes. Man, as far as I'm concerned, the UFC has champion and quarterback the entire industry. And the only reason that we were able to make a paycheck whatsoever is because of the sleepless nights and the hard work that Dana White and the Fertida brothers who started the UFC bought it for two million dollars, right, they just sold it for like six billion dollars a while back. Now we're owned by William Morrison Devor and just to see the growth of the industry. So I mean, that's that's just the way that Jake Paul, Jake Paul especially Yeah, it seems too right, It seems too outside of anything monetary, like the UFC is like a first class in absolutely everything that doesn't have the whole monetary Like obviously there's arguments for the you know, I made this boxing like.
Speaker 2: All the fighters in the UFC get this, But as far as everything else in the total package, it just seems like it is one of the premier organizations to be a part of.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. That and and then the other thing too is we can't we can't point our finger at our promoter, when really we should be pointing our finger at the man in the mirror who is not. You can monetize yourself, your brand, your voice, your platform, your your sales. You can with with the platform that the USC gives you, you can become a millionaire outside of your fight purses with the promotion and the platform that they give you. Unequivocally, especially some of these guys. Look where just look where my following has gone just in the last couple of months, and I've only had two fights in the UFC. And if I want to monetize that, if I want to start a podcast, if I want to write, you know, I mean I can, I can read ads pretty dark. You can that the first Yeah, the fighter and the bloy, you know, so no free shouts to the fighter and the brand that hast you know. But you can monetize a brand. You can build a brand, and you can make money outside of just your fight person. So if you're mad at your promoter because you're not paid, not getting paid enough inside the octagon, well take it upon yourself to take the the attention that you can grab from every single one of these fights and monetize it. So that's my two cents. But I'm also a bootstraps. You know. The man in the mirror is the guy who needs to do the work, not the other people kind of guy anyway, So that's okay. Who can read good? I can read pretty yeah, pretty good, man. I appreciate you, bro, thank you for having yeah go pick up when lose your draw. We were coming on the bus, I know. And now that you're I heard, you're gonna be in town for a couple months. Like that's boys can hang, man, boys can hang. And you know, if Taylor gets sick, man, you put me around here, I won't hesitate it. I won't hesitate. I don't have the mustache, but I could we can figure something out about one hundred pounds less than him. Yeah, one hundred and fifty pounds less. Yeah, let's do that math. But appreciate you boys. Thanks boys for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Big shout out to you guys. If you enjoyed this episode and love and support Bust with the Boys, go to whatever podcast platform you're on and subscribe to us. Leave a review rate five stars. If you're already subscribed, unsubscribe and resubscribe again. It helps the boys climb the charts, and again, we can't We wouldn't be doing this and can't do this without you guys and all of your support. We also have a YouTube channel if you like. If you'd like to watch our show or these episodes, they are on YouTube at bust Them with the Boys. We're also on social media at Busting WTB. You can follow us everywhere. Go buy our merch. You guys know that whole deal, but thank you so much. We are forever grateful for you. The biggest of