Speaker 1: I am pumped to bring back another favorite episode one of them that I did with Kaylee Dickerson. She's the wife of Russell Dickerson and I had this interview with her right when Russell was popping off with his song Yours. It was his debut single, and Kaylee hadn't they hadn't had babies yet.
Speaker 2: They just were in the middle.
Speaker 1: Of praying for so much and believing in God's promises that were put on their heart.
Speaker 2: And this is just such a great episode.
Speaker 1: And I just had her back a few months ago, and it's just so cool to see where their life has gone and where God has led them, and it's just exciting.
Speaker 2: So this is a fun one to revisit with Kaylee Dickerson.
Speaker 3: Car She he's the queen of talking who you was, So she's on the side got the stoopid laws and all the laws side.
Speaker 2: No one can win quiet by.
Speaker 3: Can can No one can win quiet Cave is t Caro.
Speaker 1: This episode of Get Real podcast, I have Kayleie Dickerson joining me. She is such an incredible inspiring soul to talk to. Every time I sit down and talk with her, I'm just blown away by her faith, by her humor, her trust in God. She and Russell Dickerson, her husband, who is a rising star. He just had a second number one single on country radio. He makes a grand entrance in the beginning of the podcast, and it is so funny.
Speaker 2: But Kaylee and Russell's faith is so strong.
Speaker 1: They have been believing in this dream of country music for so many years.
Speaker 2: We walk through their.
Speaker 1: Entire journey, and something so cool is Kaylee has been right there by Russell's side the whole time, and she has been the videographer and the producer of all of Russell's music videos so far. She said two number one music videos on CMT Blue Jacoma was her latest one in Yours.
Speaker 2: They filmed Yours when Russell had nothing going on.
Speaker 1: There was no money to make a music video, and they went out and shot it themselves.
Speaker 2: Kayley directed it.
Speaker 1: So their story is so incredible and they just have the most optimistic attitude about life.
Speaker 2: It's so uplifting to be around them. So get excited. Here's Kaye Dickerson. Okay, I'm here.
Speaker 1: At Kaylee Dickerson's How Hello, wife of Russell Dickerson.
Speaker 2: Hey. He was a very hilarious, dynamic country singer. Yes he is. Oh, oh, oh my god, he's here. Gee, didn't know he was gonna be here. Didn't know you had an elevator in your house. Oh love you, honeybuye.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Where where do you like to ride that elevator down to the laundry, down to the wine cellar library? Yeah? Okay, yeah, not very necessary, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay. So it sounds like you guys have no fun in your marriage at all?
Speaker 2: Zero yeah, zero fun. No laughs, no, no laughs none. What is a typical day like here at the Dickerson house. It is, it's an adventure. He is truly like wakes up thinking it's the best day every single day. And where does that mentality come from? I have no idea, Like it is he is unicorns, rainbows, like this morning he goes like, first thing I woke up to today was it's knowing. Like he's like, Buddy the Elf. I'm like, that reminds me of Elf in real life.
Speaker 1: He's like like he's never seen snow in his life, Like it's so cute.
Speaker 2: It's so cute.
Speaker 1: So that has to you have the same infectious personality also though, like you're always glass half full, optimistic, yeah, I'm happy kid. I mean so seriously, y'all are like sitting on a rainbow to not skittles.
Speaker 2: I just pictured the little kid on like dream works, like going fishing from the moon. I'm like, yeah, it kind of feels like that. Yeah, So okay, since you guys have such an optimistic personality, how do you guys deal with.
Speaker 1: This music industry? Because not every day is an optimistic day? So how do you navigate this wild industry? And you guys have something? Y'all have something really special because you are always by Russell's side. Yeah, Like y'all are a true partnership and you are on the road with him constantly, which a lot of women would have a hard time doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. Okay, so you're made for it. I love it. Yeah. I have five older brothers, so the only girl, the only girl, and we traveled so hardcore for soccer for them that I lived in a van with a bunch of boys. This is normal for now, I just live in a bigger van with a bunch of boys. Actually, yeah, love it, I really do love it. Yeah it's yeah, it's not an industry that's always rainbows and unicorns. But I feel like we've known for so long and had to fight for everything we knew he was supposed to do that, even the things that we were like praying for so hard, we like we want this, we want that, and even when they didn't happen, it was like, Okay, they're not supposed to happen. So it's just the lands is like everything works together for the good always, you know. So like we actually laughed about that the other day, like he really wanted to think called on the verge for radio, and we were praying for it for years, you know, We're like, oh, we'll get that.
Speaker 1: You know. On the verge is where all the radio stations decide to play your songs.
Speaker 2: Ryeah, yeah, like you're single. So we were like definitely, we're definitely you have to be like a first artist. It has to be like your first thing. And he didn't get it, and we were so bummed, and honestly, looking back, I'm really we're thankful. Like now we're like, oh, I'm actually kind of glad that we built those relationships the hard way and like did it the long way, and now the second time I'm around, it was it was better and it was I don't know, we just we thought it just wasn't our story. And for some people it like skyrockets them into the stratosphere. And it's great. It's everyone's story is so different, but we're grateful for how ours has. You know, is turning out. God is a big part of y'all's journey. You always talk about God.
Speaker 1: I know that this is this is like the centerpiece of y'all's life, career.
Speaker 2: Marriage. Where does that come from? We both grew up in the church. Okay, so his dad is a worship pastor in Nashville at Woodmont Baptist where we got married, really in Greenhill because some preachers' kids turn the other way and like get wild and crazy. We both had our We definitely had our. I don't I know I had a I don't think I believe in God anymore faith. Yeah I had that phase in high school. Yeah, and he never did. He is just like the most faith, like they say, like faith is a gift. He has the gift of faith, just blind, total faith.
Speaker 1: I I'm always gonna think of him like Buddy the elf now from Yeah, oh yeah he really is.
Speaker 2: He really is, just not in the jumpsuit, but he's like world's best coffee. Congratulations. Yeah, So I grew up Pastor's sister, and so because my brother is basically old enough to be my dad. Okay, because yeah, that's what you said. Your oldest brother is twenty years twenty years older. So he was my youth pastor. He was really foundational in my beliefs, and my parents are Christians, but he was more hands on, went to seminary. I was learning all these things with him that I thought were so interesting and then had a moment where I was like, I don't think this is real.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, oh no, this is definitely real. Okay, so what was that moment? Why did you not think it was real? And then what made you?
Speaker 2: I brought me back. I went to Belmont, So in my high school in Wisconsin, there were like there were Christians, but it was no one was like I'm gonna make sacrifices for this, and I kind of was. I didn't go to all the parties and I didn't do things that I thought like a good Christian should do, you know. And I moved to Nashville and I was like, there are gonna be a they're Christians. I'm not going to be alone and I got here and that didn't happen, and I was like, oh, I think this is just something my family does, okay. And I was like, maybe this isn't real okay, and then I kind of I didn't do anything wild and crazy to figure it out, but all of a sudden I felt different one day, I remember, and I was like, if I feel different, that means there's something to feel, so God's real. That was it. And then that was it. It was just that then on you yeah, just sure, yeah, like it felt like the joy in life was gone, okay, And I was like if if if there's something to feel like that, then God's real. I don't know, it's just that simple. Yeah. And we found each other way after that, like I had come full circle. I was like doing missions photography and he was leading worship at a bunch of churches and you were not interested in dating musician, Like that was not on the agenda for daily No, definitely not so what I always found them like, I would say that if I look at my track record, it was all musics. They were all musicians, Like what is wrong with me? I was drawn to it? I guess I don't know, and so I've done some stalking on you and obviously I know you.
Speaker 1: But so you had like maybe not the best relationship before Russell. Oh yeah, so you got a little burned, and so you weren't necessarily open, especially to the musician, especially to a relationship. How did you You talked about trust a lot, like Russell told you to trust them, but you're like, okay, you're a human.
Speaker 2: And then finally like you've.
Speaker 1: Heard that God, yeah told you trust? Where did that all come from? And you're still good at hearing science from God? Like hearing hearing God speak to you. He comes to you in dreams, he comes to you in signs.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about that. Yeah, I think that's incredible.
Speaker 1: But so like how did that come? Where you knew you had to trust and like this is a leap you're gonna take.
Speaker 2: I I would always pray that if it wasn't God's best whoever I was dating after that guy, after I got burned, I was like, if this isn't your best for me, God, just take him, okay, And every single time he did, like within like two weeks. That's what I love about your face. It is like you ask and it gets answered, Well, he's like that though in my obviously in my experience, but you trust so will you trust so fully that the answer is coming? Well, it came from hard decisions like breaking up with that guy. I honestly was like, God, if if he's not gonna be faithful, like I always had a fear of that and with him specifically, And if that's gonna be the trajectory of my life and I'm gonna have kids and this is gonna happen, I need it to happen now, Yes, get out and no joke. In the two years we had dated, he had never cheated on me, and after I prayed that he cheated six times. Wow, And I was like okay, So it took a hard thing. I broke up with the guy I thought I was gonna marry. And it's not all like rainbows hearing God speak because that sucked a lot. But then when it came to rebuilding my heart and trusting someone again, I was like, all right, well God saved me the last time, he'll do it again. And it's actually a really cool story. I got to call him probably years later because I was in church and I was like, God, what's like between us, like is there anything like I'm holding on to, like just talk to me basically? And how do you talk to God? Like how do you how does he answer you? How do you know when he's giving you an answer? You just know? Like it's almost like someone it's like you think of something you didn't think of, so all of a sudden, I thought it'll come across my mind that I know I didn't generate, okay. And there's faith in that too, because sometimes you're like, no, I'm just thinking that, right, and then you just trust it and see what happens and if it's not him, it'll show itself. But in this case it was. And he was like, you don't believe I won't let you down, okay, And I was like whoa and an all knowing response. Yeah, it's like some people. Everyone's different. Everyone hears God different. It's feelings or dreams or in this case, he doesn't always speak like that to me, but when I ask, he usually says something okay. And so I I was like immediately thought of my ex and I was like, oh my gosh, I I prayed for this and all this time I've thought that you hurt me and let me date someone who would hurt me when really he immediately was like I saved you. And I was like, whoa, you didn't let me down. You saved me. And so immediately I remembered I had prayed for it, and I thought of how he must still be feeling because he would come to town for the next year and try and get me back. And you were like strong on it. You're like, no way, not happening. Yeah. Once you made up your mind, you were done. I was done. Yeah. Well also, and once you found out he cheated on you six times, well yeah. And I honestly was willing to forgive him. And then I remembered what I'd prayed and I was like, oh my bad, Like I forgot. I totally forgot. Yeah, And I was like I can forgive you. And anyway, it's this is the real, the real deal story. And so I called him year like years later and I maybe were married at this point, oh wow, And we were in church and he was actually leading warship and I walked out and I was yeah, and I called my ex and I was like, hey, I just want you to know that that wasn't you, Like we weren't supposed to be together and I wasn't going to see it other than that. And I just want to release you from thinking that you messed everything up. And I was like, I prayed for this to happen if we weren't supposed to be together, and it happened, and it's not your character and it's not who you are and you're not going to you know, all of a sudden, he's crying on the phone.
Speaker 1: I'm crying on the Wow, you gave him serious like forgiveness and freedom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was like, this is not going to be your future. I mean it's shifted into like prophesying over his life. I'm like, this is not who you are, this is not who you're going to be. You're going to be a great dad and a great husband, and and just kind of let him go. And I mean he was crying, I was crying, and what a release though.
Speaker 1: It was a really special thing actually, And then for him to have that giveness for me, yeah, you know, and to think that like he doesn't have to be that person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he won't. He's married as a kid, like he's just a good dude. I hope I think you know, so I've gone through like the hard stuff with God that that good stuff is that much sweeter and so are you able to see the hard stuff now as part of God's good plan totally. That's something I've been learning lately, is because I used to think things were good or bad, like if something like bad happens, you know, and especially like in this industry, this wild industry, like it's a roller coaster ride, and I'd be like, oh, if things don't go according to plan, And even with my own career, I've had.
Speaker 1: A wild career in the industry. It's like so many things have blown up in my face. And in the beginning it crushed me, Like when it first started happening, I was like, how can this happen?
Speaker 2: In my life? Is over? How will we ever like move on?
Speaker 1: And then comes this next wave of lessons of learning, of things getting answered in ways that could have never been answered if something bad per se hadn't happened, And it's made me realize that things really aren't bad.
Speaker 2: You just have to be willing to find the message in them. And it's all for the good. It's all for the good.
Speaker 1: It's all for the good, and we just expect that God's gonna do things in a way that feel right to us.
Speaker 2: But God teaches us lessons in all different ways totally, and now a lot of them hurts. It's not like his goal for our lives isn't that it's like sunshine and unicorns. It's not. It's that we are good people and we're humble people, and that we love others well. And sometimes the hard stuff force you to do those things and see what really matters and what doesn't matter. And you see it. You're in Africa with little kids who are smiling bigger than anyone you've ever seen in your life, and all they have is a deflated soccer ball. Like there are things in this life that we think matter that don't at all. Yeah, they just don't. They don't.
Speaker 1: And I think that perspective is what really opens our eyes to it. I totally, and I've like this year my word has been surrender because so good.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just like I.
Speaker 1: Always have so many plans and I still have so many plans, and I still have so many.
Speaker 2: Goals, and like I want my life. I know how I want my life to look because I very visionary in my mind.
Speaker 1: But also I'm like some of the greatest things that ever happened to me have been so off course.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, So it's just.
Speaker 1: Like I'm trying to just let it all roll and if something happens that rocks in my world, just get the lesson, figure out why it happened.
Speaker 2: And sometimes being humbled is such a good thing too. Yeah, I'm thankful too. Like, even if I hadn't had that heartbreak, how would I ever relate to other girls who've been heartbroken? Mm hm? You know, and what if you you might not even appreciate Russell, Oh happy he is. You might just think that's how Yeah, people are just like that. No they're not, No, they're not. But yeah, like I'm just so even so, Russ and I even broke up while we were dating, okay, or y'all just just test it out to make sure. Michael and I broke up too, and we were just we just graduated college. He was about to take off and be this superstar and I was I was still figuring my stuff out too, And so even when that, even when that ended, I still was praying, God, if this is not your best, if this isn't your best for me, like take him. And so when that happened. I was like, Okay, maybe it's not Russell. And I just had so much peace because I'd already done this, you know, and I'd already and so in turn, I didn't get all clinging on him and be like but but no, no, no, we're supposed to be together. We're supposed to be together. Your faith was strong. I just let him go. I let him go and and I prayed for him and prayed. I was like, I would still be like if it's if it's him bringing back. If it's not, I don't want him. And sure enough, within about a month he came back and he called me on Thanksgiving. While in that month, I was like, I'm thankful for you and I was like, excuse me, what why are you calling me? He was like, I don't know. I just thought about you and just want to tell you I was thankful for you. Its like okay. Because he was like we'll be friends, I was like, oh, hell no, I've never been one of those people to be friends with exes. No. I was like, you do not get both my friends, you do not get both. And I think that honestly helped a lot, because I could just really let him go and I wasn't half there, half not and not lukewarm. Yeah. I was like, you're all in or you're not. And he came back and it was all in, and then you'll how long until you got married? After that? He proposed a year in a month or so after that, and then we got married three months after that. As soon as we were engaged, okay, song age was very veryge we were like, let's do this, let's get married. We weren't living together, you know, we were like, we're so excited to be married. I didn't. I wasn't excited about a wedding, Like, yeah, I really. I was like this sounds so stressful, especially as the only girl. I was like, pressure is on. And I was like, so, y'all have kind of a low key wedding. There's six hundred people. Oh my god. Not at the receptions. Anxiety. No, I'm not a very anxious person, which also I think helps with this whole world.
Speaker 1: It's because of your faith that you don't have anxiety. Probably, yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: You're so solid in your faith. No, No, there's plenty of times I'm like, hello God, Hello, dinging being right here. You know, there's plenty of times but or when a friend of mine just went through something so hard. And there are plenty of times I'm like, God, where are you in this? Because this is not good? And there because life happens and we're not in heaven so it's just not gonna be heaven here and I understand that. But yeah, there's plenty of times that I'm like, hello, this isn't cool. Yeah, this is really really hard. And there were plenty of times in his career the last five years we've been like where are you? I know, I know, I think though everyone has that journey and it's okay. It's more human being. It's like if anyone tells you they never question anything anytime, I'd be like Concer unless they're rustle and they have the gift of faith. Like I mean, he just really is like a fairy and God is everywhere and what's so huge? What would it be to be like him for a day. I don't know. I don't know. I'm honestly kind of scared. Like his he has a serious add Oh it's like bing bing bing bing bing, It's so fun.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about how he's starting his vlog, which who knows if this will ever even happen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest because his.
Speaker 1: Add is like I'm super into this right now, and then it changes everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's doing the whole thing. Okay, but it's like I watched them his first episode and it truly is like insight into his brain. Okay, because this is his direction, because it's he is shooting, he's choosing what to film, he's editing, so it is like all over the place, like it is like a trip through his brain. It's so fun exciting. Yeah, it's exciting. I'm excited. I'm excited, and I'm just glad I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's kind of fun with the camera, babe, I'm gonna chill.
Speaker 2: It's a change of roles because you're the videographer of the family. Hello to CMT number one videos. Hey, how is that weird? Like it's so funny. I'm super proud of it because female directors are really rare, like really rare. Yes, Like we were nominated for Breakthrough Video last year at CMTS filming, so yeah, just making sure we're filming. I had to rig my situation so it couldn't check it. Yeah, we should take I should take a picture of what's happening over here to put on. That's how I'll posts that we're doing this podcast. So we were nominated for CMT Breakthrough Video with Yours Yes, which was purely just me and him and our friend Ben driving, And that.
Speaker 1: Was also a leap of faith video because at that point there wasn't a whole lot going on with Russell's career.
Speaker 2: No, there was nothing. Everyone had said no, everyone had said no. So you said, okay, let me just go out and film this video. Yeah. Yeah, Well I had so my fourth brother, the one whose apartment we're in in which also you have a getaway in La which we have to talk about. Yes, he moved to Santa Barbara, but he was rent controlled and I was like, yeah, we're gonna take this over. It's a dream. So he is a director, has done tons of major, major music videos, and so I was a junior in college and he was like, hey, I'd just gotten a nice camera for Christmas and he had this video job come through that they didn't initially like the first video that was shot, so all the budget was gone and he's like, I have five thousand dollars to pull off a video wasn't it Nora Jones or yeah. He's like, can you bring your camera? And I was like sure, and I was like, I've never done this and he was like I was senior, was like coming into her moment. No, it wasn't like come away with me, but it was like shortly after and within like five years of that, I don't know. And so we flew out. I was like, what are we doing? Where are we going? He's like, I'm taking you to New York. We're doing this. So I'm a junior in college. I've never shot a music video in my life. I'd just done photography, so I don't know why I said photography so weird. I did photography like headshots all that in the music school at Belmont. And then he was like, I've seen your eye. A good eye is a good eye. Like, i'll teach you how to film. You already have the other part. I was like, okay, thanks bro, thank you. So he flew me and I was like, where are we going? He was like, do you know who Noah Jones is? And I was like, yes, I come away with we had come out, Yes, okay, So she's already she's already a superstar. Yeah, and he has a five thousand dollars budget for a video. I don't know a lot to tell that. How does this happen? Well, they didn't like the first video that they that was made that used the budget, so then they're just like they're like, Okay, let's redo it and make it work. Like, let's go with that other guy that we didn't pick his treatment and give him the tiniest budget in the world. And so we filmed it all in her apartment okay, and all these different other places too, but yeah, just around New York. Just shot b Roll and he did some stuff out in LA So he was like I want He's like, I have enough on my reel. I'm putting you as DP of this director of photography, so like the cinematographer. And I was like that, excuse big job. Yeah, Like I didn't even know how to do that. Photography found you. Yeah, it did. Honestly, I wasn't like I'm going to be a cinematographer. So I'd already done it with Nora Jones, with Door Jones. That's a good start. So then I came back and I did other music videos in Nashville, like low budget did that give you a good confidence boost? Yeah? I guess it gave me. It let me raise my rates and make a living. But like that's the girl that did the Nora Jones video. I'm like, yeah, yeah, guys, I'm a professional for sure. So then when every label said no to him, I was like, we can do this, Like, we can do this ourselves. And how did you come up with the idea? Because it's literally Russell walking down a road and then it starts raining.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's random, but totally worked out, yes, because that wasn't planned right, No, No, So we were just going to shoot test footage and a storm was like rolling in because I wanted to be sure.
Speaker 2: I wanted to slow it down and speed up the music because it asked whatever, and I was like, I want to be sure that I know that I can do this. So we went out there and as we're coming, this storm is just rolling in and I was like, okay, we need we need to get somewhere quick quick wick Like we hadn't even done location scouting. We're outside of the prison in that in West Nashville kind of awesome. Yeah, there's fire or tornado sirens going off and we couldn't hear them. But now, looking back, I think that's why we didn't get stopped. Oh, because everyone was undercover. We were only there for like an hour and a half. He just walked down this road. Cars would come and we'd have to like redo it, and I'd be like, hurry, hurry, hurry. The rain's coming. So we were driving and I was again I was like, God, it'd be nice if I got all of my shots that I need before the rain comes, and then once I'm done, I needed to downpour. And because I had to get some shots of that. Yeah, that's what happened. Yeah, And we went back out there to shoot his EP and meanwhile we're leaving and I'm like, I'd called my cinematographer friend in LA. He's like, I mean did stuff with like Gray's Anatomy, Like he's insane. And he didn't get back to me because I was like, I just wanted to be sure I was doing the shutter ray everything right. And he calls me after we're done and I was like, please tell me that this was right. He goes, That's exactly what I would have told you to do. I was like, thank God, because I was like I got all this lightning and I was like, I can't recreate this if this happened, like I needed this tork right And it did.
Speaker 1: And that was kind of your first real video to direct all by yourself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, very first.
Speaker 1: And it goes to number one on CMT and you get nominated for a CMT Music Video of the Year award.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what is that? Yeah? It was crazy. In my first video, I edited the whole thing like it was all in all in house, right? Is that Allerson house? So you and Russell are kind of like y'all. That's what's so cool about y'all. Y'all are so self made as a team too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's obviously the artist with the music, but you are visually creating.
Speaker 2: When he shows me songs and new demos like I see the video and Blue Takomo was one of my favorite that made you just feel like that, like the drone looks and everything you're on a piece. I was like, I just want everyone to feel like they're there, like they took this road triple with us. I don't want other people in it. I wanted to feel like we're in our own world, and I feel like we did it was.
Speaker 1: So I brought that brother in to direct with me on this one because I was like, I don't know how to do all the permits and stuff.
Speaker 2: You're kidding me. It's like a road trip. There was so many places we needed permits and all the legal stuff really sucks to joy on creativity, right, And he had he had done a Mercedes commercial and so he used those same Drone guys on this, so he had all the connections of who he wanted. So it was it was pretty great. Yeah, and that one also made it number one on Safty. I mean, it's crazy. So you guys, Okay, Okay, this is what I.
Speaker 1: Love about you guys too, because I feel like for eight years or so, y'all were praying for success, right or.
Speaker 2: How long was it? Gosh, well, really since we got married, which was five and a half years ago. But he's been at this since we graduated. He signed his first publishing deal in two thousand. When did we graduate college? Twenty eleven? Okay, so he's been at this for eight years.
Speaker 1: So eight years of waiting, of believing, of preparing, planning seeds.
Speaker 2: I just talked into my coffee on that way, Hey, I like it yeah, and then all of a sudden, all this hard work just like overflows and pays off. And was it like one year that it all happened? Yeah? And when was the year? Was it two thousand? Fears went number one? Like a week ago? Last year? This last to like a year ago? So year a week ago eighteen was y'all's year. Yeah, that was everything was like we got our first bus. We're not driving a van anymore, Praise God. First bus two number one, like a CMT nom he was nominated for ACMs Wild and iHeart New Artists. That's yeah. Has that happened yet? No? Not yet.
Speaker 1: I mean I know on awesome tours towards Lady Ance Malcom or somewhere else. We were friends so spoiled with tours, Like, how is that because Charles and Cassie of Lady A Yes, my my people, how is that touring with some of your besties? We've only toured with our besties, okay, so, which we didn't know is like rare so Thomas, Rhett Thomas, Rhete, Florida Georgia Line and Lady Antebella.
Speaker 2: That's truly our best friends in the industry. Partially so tr threw us a bone, like he was like, this guy's gonna be someone. Just trust me because he asked him on tour. Oh gosh, when was that? It was not this last year, the year before that before Yours wasn't even on the radio. We didn't even ever read. He just gave him a shot. Yeah, and he had seen the video. We showed it to them and him and Tyler. We showed Tyler and Hayley, Tyler Hubbard and yes, and Tyler was like, you guys got to show tr the video, like you got to show him, and so we showed him, and tr never heard Russ sing and was like, dude, but we all were friends with them. You never heard him sing yet. No, this was like this was right when we shot the video as Tyler Hubbard's wedding. That's how long ago this was, Okay, So that was I think a year after we got married. So this is like four or five.
Speaker 1: Years ago, okay, because he released Yours four years before it went number one, and he released it with the video That's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been around, that's a life. Yeah, so that far back and tr saw it and then shortly after he saw his like streams were climbing and then asked him on tour and he told me.
Speaker 1: First we were playing darts after freaking see him tea something at some Barred Green Hills. He's like, can I tell you something?
Speaker 2: It was like what He's like, I'm gonna ask Russ on tour and I was like, like freaking out and he was like, you can't tell him though, I was like, well, why'd you tell me? I was like, this is the meanest thing you've ever done to me, But I said I was like, I was supposed to keep this a secret. I was like, no, no, no, absolutely not, Like I don't keep secrets from him one two, I don't keep really great things from him, Like what did you do? I made him tell him by the end of the night, Okay, I was like, tiar has something he'd like to tell you. Russell was so great. We were aut with Ryan Hurd and Kelsey Ballerini and tr Oh my god, it was just like a It was so it was like so young.
Speaker 1: First of all, everyone was under thirty I'm pretty sure, yeah, and just a blast patrick touring life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then we went out with Fgo and then did some more shows with Thomas Rhett and then lady A, so tell me what you have gathered from being on tour. What is tour life like for you?
Speaker 1: And what have you learned from being on tour with all of these people who are your besties and friends and then also you know colleagues.
Speaker 2: It's more of a family than you would imagine, and especially now because Tier and Lauren have two children and you were a big party you went to Africa. Yeah, Lauren, Yeah, when she was getting wille Gray, yep, I documented that whole process for her and just so they would have it. I don't know what they'll do or but a lot of people wanted to document it, and she was like, it's way too personal. She was like I need you there, and she told me on a Thursday or Wednesday, and we were leaving the next Wednesday. She was like will you come? And I was like, uh sure, and I go. I go to get my shots and Vanderblt wouldn't give them to me. They're like, you need these ten days out. I was like, well, I didn't know it's going to Africa until like now, so I don't know what you want me to do seven days. Yeah, I was like, I need a Yellow card and they're like, we won't do it, and I was like, what the heck's So they gave me a whole list of places and I don't anything. I was like, god, I need you to tell me what I want to call like. I was like, I don't have time for this, and all of a sudden, this one I just like that one. Just it just was like a feeling. And I call and they're like, sorry, we're not doing this today. We're something and she was like, let me take your name and I'll call you tomorrow. And so like Kaylee Dickerson and she goes, wait a second, what's your husband's name? Are you serious? Yeah? And I was like Russell. She goes, can I call you right back? And I was like sure. So she calls me back and she was like, Okay, you can come in today anytime. Are they super fan? Yeah? I guess. I was like excuse me what and she goes, I took care of it, so fan like, I'll get you in, Oh my gosh. And I was like thank you. So I got it. And then that day we flew to Thomas Rhet's birthday in Vegas. It was ACM's and Lauren was like she mind you. They were like, this could make you sick. It's the yellow fever shot or something you can make you feel like you have that's what she was also super pregnant. Yes, this is also when she was pregnant. Yes, and they thought they couldn't have kids. So that's a miracle in itself. Yeah, oh it's amazing. So they're like, it could make you sick. And she leaves the room and I was like, not in Jesus name, I'm not getting sick. I was like, you can't get sick. No. So I go to Vegas and I was like, Lauren, I got my shot. Everything's cool, and she was like, how do you feel? I was like fine. She was like, this is the the shot Tyler got that made him miss an award show that Tom's Raight had to sub for him because he actually like had the flu from it. And I was like, oh, I'm great. It doesn't make everyone sick like Cassie Kelly just got it. I was like, how you feel. She's like great, But because she's in Africa right now, right or on her way? Yeah, do y' all go to the same place. I know Lauren is taking a trip to just kind of bring people into what they're doing with Love One and show them how they're changing all these kids' lives. And it's incredible what they're doing. And so I've been there, I've seen it. I tried to go this year. I wanted to go, but it was overlapping the tour. And it's his first headlining tour, which is also amazing.
Speaker 1: It's co headlining with Carly, our girl Carly Pears, and they both have a rustled to be soon hit yea every little thing, which is saronic that they both have, like a huge They thought about calling the tour that they went back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe do a mashup. I don't know, but it's it's a quick little tour. It's only four weeks.
Speaker 1: Has that been as a headlining insane because it's going from all these tours of your friend's collies all that, like, oh, he.
Speaker 2: Has dreamt of this for so long and in his mind like he designed the lights, like he he had it all up here and just was like, go talk to me about how it's going. What's the response been? It is insane? Like he'll finish blue to coma. I cried first of all the first night because they were singing every little thing so loud, so loud, and I was like, this isn't even like top forty, I don't think. I was like, what is going on? And I just, I mean I looked around. I was like, I'm not the only one here, because there's plenty of shows. I was really the only one. Thing like, and I would just stand up there once. I remember specifically in Georgia and my brother was there and the boys had set everything up sound checked, and then no one cared, like no one. It was a pool haul and it was just me, my brother and sister in law and we.
Speaker 1: Just stood up there like dance like crazy people because we're like we're sorry.
Speaker 2: No one else is here, you know. And so I looked out and there was like over two thousand people. Wow, And I was like just I mean, just to come from nothing to that, just the feeling that you have to feel. I'm so grateful. Hard work, yeah, leave, the persistence, the faith. It makes you grateful. You're not you don't resent it. You're not like, oh, we're going. There are plenty of people who are like, oh, we have to go to this station, Da da da, and we are like we get to go like, you know how long we prayed to have a conversation on radio, Like are you kidding me? So? I think the grind and the hustle is lends itself to so much more gratitude than anything else can. Absolutely, it's not nothing against anyone who was given to you, but like it's just not going to lend itself to being really grateful because it is. It takes a lot out of you. It is it. It is brutal, and you have to like love this with your entire heart. You can't half love it. You can't. You'll just get you won't make it, and maybe you do, and then you resent it and then it's just that's not a way to live. I interviewed Jesse Alexander a while ago. She's a huge songwriter and awesome and I love her. I love her so much.
Speaker 1: And we were talking about just the grind and you know, being in the music industry, and she was like, everybody will get humbled at some point, you know, And so it's just like some people come in and they're huge and it's like instant, but like everybody is going to get humbled because you just it's a part of it's a part of life.
Speaker 2: It's a part of the journey.
Speaker 1: And so like you're saying, to have had all those years of grinding to know what it feels like to have no one at the shows, to you know, to still have your faith for it, it makes it so sweet and.
Speaker 2: You will always just have this appreciation to be there. Oh my gosh, Yes, yes and amen. We said that the other day of how Oh. Someone was just talking about like artists comparing themselves to each other and feeling like there's enough room at the table, right, And I was like, we learned that lesson in a very quiet place because Rust actually turned down the deal FGL took and we watched them blow up in front of our faces, and at first we were like, dang it, did we make a mistake? But that was never our deal and it wouldn't have worked for him because we didn't have cruise. They had cruise. Like just as simple as that is that the XM radio deal, No, it was. They're like publishing kind of label dealers at the time, and still they still are with it's big loud. Oh yeah, and Russ had turned it down and we were like, ooh, did we make a mistake Because nothing's happening for us, and like we learned that was theirs and there's no comparison, there's no you cannot be like we chose to celebrate them and cheer them on, and I feel like that is such a pivotal and I think that's why he has what he has, in my opinion, because he will champion everyone around him. He's not mad when someone gets something he wants that. He's been through that and we we just did that in a quiet place. We went through it so that now we're not ruining relationships because there are some people who like kind of you know, they're just not as welcoming or they think that they have to upstage or whatever, and we're like, there's room at the table.
Speaker 1: I love what you're saying because like in a different way, like I'm kind of a career wise, and then also like I've on a big pregnancy journey and like we miscarriage and like we tried for a long time to get pregnant and it didn't happen. And it's just like I chose from the beginning that I was always going to be happy to support my friends who were having success and babies because exactly like you're saying, it is so easy to want to feel sorry for yourself, to get upset, to be angry at the situation. And same with like music career, Like something can go so great for you and then fall apart, and and it's like, if you're going to let your you can feel sad and upset for yourself, But to not be able to celebrate other people, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like it's such a.
Speaker 1: You're missing out, You really miss out on joys of life because yours will come, you know, totally, it will come.
Speaker 2: It might only come if you choose to celebrate other people. Yeah, it only come that way.
Speaker 1: And just like when you see people who like it can be hard sometimes because you can be in a really hard season of life and everyone else can be totally flourishing around you. But still it's like you have to have that faith that what's for you will be for you and celebrate other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that you said that because that is something.
Speaker 1: I have just been noticing and thinking about all the time, because when you are in a hard season, you want to feel sad sometimes, but you're like, no, this.
Speaker 2: Is bigger than me, and totally someone else getting something doesn't mean you won't exactly why is that? I don't everyone, Well, that's part of the problem with thinking like there's not enough, right that God is He's infinite, Yeah, literally infinite. So what he has him giving one thing to something.
Speaker 1: He's not out of it now yet he's not running sure stockhold is not depleting like it's He is infinite, like it never ends, like it's all good.
Speaker 2: You know. And I think you have to realize that and believe it in order to celebrate other people. I agree the secret to life celebrating other people a then to that, I think it is I love that.
Speaker 1: So how do you Okay, So when y'all were in a period where it wasn't going however you turned down an opportunity, how did you deal with it privately?
Speaker 2: And how did you Was that a decision that you made or was it just like how did you work through that? I think we kind of ran towards it instead of like backing away from our friendships. We ran straight to the heart of it and we got nothing but closer with Tyler and Haley, and I mean we would go to their beautiful home and then come back to our little duplex that we were renting, you know, and there were plenty of opportunities to be jealous or you know, want what your neighbor has, but we're like, no, we're going to love the crap out of them and we're just gonna be best friend. And it changed our front. There are some of our sweetest dearest, they're some of the greatest people on the planet on the planet, Like, they're just wonderful people. And if we would have let that come between us and resentment or whatever, which I'm sure he doesn't even if he heard this, he'd be like, what that was hard for you guys? We've never even talked about it, Yeah, because it truly we we just ran towards it. Yeah, instead of being shying away. Yeah, like we're gonna love them, We're just gonna love them.
Speaker 1: I really admire that, I really do, kay, because that is such an incredible trait to have, and it shows how much faith you have and how loving you are as a human, because that that's one of the hardest things. I mean, what is it Like it's it's just one of the seven deadly sins or whatever, and it's like it happens.
Speaker 2: To everyone, especially in this industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why navigating it in the way that you guys have chosen to navigate it with faith, with love, with you know, just working on your self and your art and celebrating everyone else like that is really inspiring.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks. It really is not always been easy, but it's it's worth it. It is so worth it. And then look at your joyful life, you know, just trying to be like unicorns and rainbows over here.
Speaker 1: He makes it pretty easy. Talk to me about Europe because y'all on a big Europe trip. Yes, we went to Magical speaking of and you said that you were thinking Paris might let you down, but it didn't.
Speaker 2: Yes, it did not. I thought it was going to be hyped because you have this like imagination and this like picture. I was like, Oh, it's going to be so romantic and it's going to be this and that. Granted, I've come to learn weather determines if I like a city. Okay, so like we went to Amsterdam on this same trip, but it was rainy and it was cold and I was getting kind of sick and I need to go back because, yeah, I didn't love it because of that, weren't feeling great now it was someone we know. When they were in Paris it was like that, so they didn't love it. When we were there, it was like seventy every day and sunny, like high of seventy, so it was like fall, like early fall, and it was incredible. It was incredible. Did you eat? Did you eat incredible? What did you have? Pasta every day? Yes? Like everything? Cruticize yeah, mac macrools. I don't even know, but we don't speak French.
Speaker 1: So the secret, I will say, The secret is trying, because you know, have a like French people are so rude, they hate us, baba, So we would walk around and be like do they hate us, do they love us?
Speaker 2: Do they hate us? And if you try to communicate in French, they will be more welcoming to you. That's what we learned. So how would you speak to them? Probably English? We'd be like do you speak English in French? And then they would be like yes, and then they're more likely to be kind to you, because it's like if you walking in and being like, hey, can I get assuming they speak English? Some Americans. Yeah, I think that's why, because we just assume they know our language. Like what if someone was French walked up to you and just started. You'd be like, excuse me, Like do I look French? Like I'm not French? Yeah, yeah, but the food was crazy. We did per Cassie Kelly's recommendation. She has like everywhere. You just text her and you're like, hey, I'm going here. She sends you an entire note of every location, every restaurant, keep notes on everything. Yes, every city. She's incredible goals. I call her the first Lady of con Yes, she's so fashionable. She like knows how. She like accidentally flips houses, like she goes in and makes them so fabulous that people come over and they're like, I'm buying your house and then she has to do it all over again. And her style is just impeccable, perfect every time. That's just who she is. It just oozes out of it is I know, and she just loves lady fabulous. But she knows and she calls everything fabulous, which is my favorite.
Speaker 1: I like it never used that word until I was r on Cassie and I'll be like, it's fabulous because that's what she does.
Speaker 2: She's just the best. But she has entire lists of every city. I started putting them in Yelp. So I'm like trying to find a way. I don't know. There's probably a better way to do this, so comment if you know one. But I want to start having like booklets or whatever lists in yelp Okay to share I love. I don't know if that's a thing, but I started putting hers in there and like the ones we liked, and started writing reviews and trying to have different cities that I could be like, hey, go because then when you're going to Paris, I don't know if you can do this, but you could go to my profile, right your Yelp profile, and then see what I've saved, yeah, and then be like, oh, that one's kind of close to us because with her list, I have to yelp everyone to know where it is, okay and find it, And so I've started like putting them into it. She'll take her list verbatim. We went to at least three of the places she recommended, and they're all just fabulous, as she would say, yeah, one of them. We spent the most money we've ever spent on a meal, truly. Truly. It was right after Blue to Coomo went number one. Gotta celebrate. Oh yeah, so we hadn't done like a big celebration dinner. So we did this eight core stop something. What'd you eat? Everything was soft. It's a funny thing about the French. I'm like, do they not have teeth? Like everything is soft, It's like moose grus like everything. Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, if I'm gonna do these things, you're gonna I'm gonna do them here so that I know it's good for I like them or don't. That's good because an.
Speaker 2: American version, who knows, they could be totally messing. I shouldn't have said that. I should be more open minded. Well, everything like they had s cargo and every little every teeny tiny portion was it all. It was like a little quail wing. It was like this big and it was like the meat was like that, and you just it was cute. Yeah, and then all these desserts and wine pairings. It was crazy. It was crazy some of it.
Speaker 1: Some of it.
Speaker 2: I was like, I could use a little crunch, But that's what like crazy, all these teeny tiny mooses soups, And that's why everyone's so teeny tiny in France. You think, are they I don't know, I don't know. That they aren't. I just I don't think I noticed everything made fatty. Everything was fatty. It's like real food. I don't feel like it's so much processed. True. And we had an Italian meal there that they wheeled out a whole thing of parmesan and they like scraped it and lit it on fire and like tossed my pasta in it. Did you die? Oh? It was one of the best, and you, like, I feel that hour was like just behind Russell's head. We were in this little alley. What is life right now? Honestly I would go back anytime. It was the last place I wanted to go before we start talking about having kids, because I was like, I want to go to Paris. So we're talking about having kids, we're talking about it, Okay, we're talking about Hey, I like the kid combo. Oh yeah, we're working on it. Well, we're always working on it. But we've been married five years and that was my like I want five years of just us. Yeah. I love that because I wanted to know just if if anything comes whatever, like I know what us is so strong intrinsically is that the right word. I don't know, just such a foundation that I know who we are, that you can feel if it changes. I totally get that. I've been together now ten years.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had a two year break in between, but like two years two years, I don't think I knew that. I knew that we had a nice little break in between. That's like not even a break, that's like a breakup. That is a breakup.
Speaker 2: We were on a break. We broke up. I moved cities and states and like, I didn't know if we're going to get back together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weren't even tech or something. Yeah, then yeah, moved to Austin and uh. But I feel like that same way. We have been through so much like I've been with him since he was twenty one years old.
Speaker 2: I was twenty four. I'm older and we were the flip Okay, so I was twenty one, Russ was twenty three. I think, Okay, when we started dating, I personally for me and every story is different.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad to have gone through all of this lies and developing together same even though it has been like the brokest y'all have been in a lot of the wilds same but also most exciting phases you could ever be in. Because I'm like, okay, we have survived so much, like we have lived through all these things that I know now when we bring a child into this world, like you are saying, I know who we are through and through, Like there's there's nothing you could tell me about Michael, nothing, nothing that could shock me.
Speaker 2: Same, you know, we're so I know him better probably than I even know.
Speaker 1: Myself, honestly, because I've around him and he needs me better than I know myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like we know how to fight with each other now, like learning all that fighting nice. You gotta fight nice, gotta fight.
Speaker 2: Nice, because in the beginning we weren't perfect at fighting me I wasn't. It's a learned Fighting is a learned skill. Okay, So how did you guys learn how to fight? How do y'all fighting? We It is a learned skill. Yeah, it really is. And involve respect, plea do not. I think he was so afraid of commitment, which shocks a lot of people, because thank god, I'm yours right, But he was so afraid of commitment that I had to learn how to fight with him really gracefully, okay, and really more so just disagreeing, and we couldn't have big fights because that would freak him out. Okay, so I kind of learned, probably a bad trait, to like stuff it and find a way to I would sleep on it, and I would find a way to say it kindly in the morning or like, but take I'm really stuffing it for a long time. No, no, no, I couldn't stuff it for too long. But take ownership, like really zoom out of the situation because I wasn't as emotional the next day. It's actually very wise. Yeah, well I had to o wise I would it wouldn't work. Yeah, and be like, all right, this is what I've done wrong and I know that, and this is what you did, and that really hurt my feelings. Anything we disagree or whatever, it's usually he hurt my feelings, Okay, we don't. I don't ever really get mad at him. I got mad at him one time, specifically recently. So probably more times that I've just forgotten, but this one time kind of recently. Yes, I came home, I'd asked him to do the laundry, put away the laundry because he wanted to go work out and I love working out. I'm choosing my my I'm speaking life over this, I actually hate it, okay, but I'm choosing to start saying I love working out because I'm hoping I get there, So you love I love working out. It's my favorite. If he could hear this right now, he'd be dying because he's like always convincing me. He's like, I'll make you coffee if we go work out. So in this scenario, he wanted to work out and I was like, sure, but I need you to do this because I don't have enough time in the day to do this and get ready for a bus call and I have a birthday party tonight. So while I'm at the birthday party, I am I need you to do this laundry. And it was just putting things on hangers and I prime now more hangers because we were running low, gave him all of the tools. It's already all right, stage was set. I come home, The hangers are in the prime now bags by the door. All the clothes are still out here, and he was playing video games in the basement. I'm telling you, I think that's I think that's guys. I lost my ever loving mind, Like did you kind of blow up? Oh? Yeah? Is this the anything? No? Okay, well, yeah, yeah, I guess I was just so so angry because I was like, I do everything for us. Oh, like, I asked you for help once, which is if you do any nyagram, what are you? I am a three three two two three chiever helper, yes, So like this was my two wing freaking out because because now you're two wings in a prime house, right, So like I always help him, always have helped him. But that's what you love, right, I love it. But I asked for help, and he is a seven. That's what Michael is. As the day is long, Michael's straight seven best day of his life every day wakes up, has enough energy to do everything. I feel like seven are the happiest people. They're really happy people. I know Michael's a seven too, and I'm just like, thank god you could be. No, I'm a four. I am an emotional what I bet you have a strong three ring wing though, yes, you're an achiever, but that is achieving.
Speaker 1: I am a four, A four four four. I just live in my emotions and thank god I'm married to seven. Yeah, else I would just be at the bottom of three seven. I'm sure four seven. It is like it's like the perfect tip oh. I like that, like in achieving, because I have the achiever and he has the dreamer. And so I'm like, let's do this.
Speaker 2: We're unstoppable, let's go okay, and he has the energy that keeps me going. Yes, this whole thing. Ok So, anyway, my two wing, you're too. So when when they're in stress, they go to eight. So I like, I blew up, like I didn't like him, actually blow up, but I just started cleaning and being loud, and he's like, I got it. I was like, clearly you don't like I was. I was so bad. And he never plays video games. You're like of all the days, like you never, He's not that guy because I when he wanted to get an Xbox I was like gross, Like I think guys who like are obsessed with video games. It's so unattractive to huh. And I was like, do you really want to be unattractive to me? Like that's how I pitched it. And he was like, but for him, I'm actually glad he has it because he never plays it, and if he does, it's because he's actually so exhausted that he needs something to shut his mind off. Loys will keep dreaming and keep brainstorming. And he never he never.
Speaker 1: Sits and stops. Yeah, and so it makes him sit and stop. So he really never does that ever.
Speaker 2: And so like I was like, of all the days, I was so so that one end we went to bed angry. Which did he defend his video games? Oh no, no, he knew, he knew he was definitely wrong. Yeah. Well at one point he didn't like jump up and start hanging things up. Oh yeah, he rose to the occasion, and I was like, no, forget it, I've got late, too late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I go to sleep mad, which I said this recently on another podcast that I I think that's one of the things in the Bible that I'm like, I disagree with you because it says like, don't let the sun go down on your anger.
Speaker 2: But mind you, this one was already down first of all, and I just have a clear head in the morning. Well, it's better not to fight when you're enrage. Oh you know.
Speaker 1: I have learned that about myself because like I get activated kind of easily. I've worked on it a lot, a lot of therapy, a lot of like self realization that like anger is never a good thing. So if I feel angry and hot. That is not the time to talk about something. No, it is definitely not the time.
Speaker 2: No. And what is it. It's like there's an acronym. It's like, not when you're hungry, tired, halt halt, hungry, angry, alone, tired, angry, lonely tired. Yeah, and I was tired. I was exhausted. It was like the week of every Christmas party, every everything. We had just come off the road. We'd hosted two huge things at our house and I was like, I am done. I have nothing left. And that's when I was like, I asked for help once, which I asked for help all the time. I was just so dramatic. Sometimes you go, I was like, you're not allowed to not help me.
Speaker 4: I help you always like speaking totally crazy and it happens, so oh yeah, you know it does sometimes you It's like in the I did that a bunch in this podcast.
Speaker 2: Sorry, hey, I hack all the time. I'm just sipping my coffee. But I think that is one of the great things about marriage is learning each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, learning your breaking points, learning how to navigate those situations and not getting lost in them, not thinking it's the end of the world.
Speaker 2: It's just a moment. And the next morning, the next morning, it was so cute, he gave me a card and everything. Okay, because I've never actually, I don't think i've ever actually been mad at him, and that was the first time. And this is like five years in Wow, so this was this was a moment. Oh, this was a moment. Yeah, And the cards say it was just like, thank you so much for everything you do for our family. I love you so much. I'm so sorry, you know.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like, this is maybe the cute. I should get mad at you more often, like this is so cute. I really don't get mad at him.
Speaker 2: It's mostly my feelings are hurt or I feel because I'm pretty I feel like I'm pretty good at recognizing I feel lonely. So instead of like doing something to pull him in, like and getting upset about something so he comes close, I just I just tell him, yeah, I'm like, I need more of you. I haven't seen you enough. I feel like I'm in the background. What's your love language? Quality time? Okay? And so, which is also why I kind of have to be on the road, uh huh, because otherwise I I don't know I'm not words of ath I don't need. In that scenario, I guess I would have been acts of service. Yeah, but yeah, I just like being around him. And most of the time I can just be in the same orbit and we don't have to be alone. But sometimes I do need, just like I need just you and me. Let's go for a walk. You're saying going for a walk is like a key to happy marriage. It's tell me some of your keys to happy marriage walks, Okay, sex, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Too, Like some people aren't about that, but like, I mean I totally agree with that on a very regular basis.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, oh, we bonded over this. We have we're a team, like try for every day. I mean, well, I maybe it's that seven who's just happy to go looking and enjoys all the things in life.
Speaker 1: But Michael is like down every day, same with us. And if it's yeah, and so I'm just like, Okay, why would I fight this?
Speaker 2: A Because it's fun and B it's cheaper than therapy, cheaper than therapy, and it keeps you so connected. Yes, it really does.
Speaker 1: If that drifts apart, ever, which ours never has, because yeah, I just decided one day, I was like, I'm gonna make this a priority.
Speaker 2: Same and we're like I heard it somewhere. Girls are like crock pots and men are like microwaves. Have you ever heard that? No, that like our like our sexual everything is more of a slow, steady, all day kind of a thing. Yes. Yeah, So like if they flirt with us all day and they but you just like kiss a guy for two seconds and they're like we're done, Like we're ready, you know, we're more We're it's all mixed together. We can't like separate, like if you were jerk early in the morning, we still feel that at night. Like it's guys are not as much like that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely in my experience, I agree, And so yeah, if I in my if I set my crock pot to low in the morning, like Mike mentally, then when it comes time whenever we do, I'm like, yeah, I've been thinking about it, I've been processing, and it makes me be open and I can't stuff things because if that's gonna happen, we're gonna have had a conversation.
Speaker 2: If I'm upset about something, Absolutely it makes me communicate, makes him really sentimental and sweet all the time. Yeah, I mean not all the time, but honestly a lot. I think it's no. I think having a healthy sexual relationship keeps your relationship. Yeah, healthy. I feel like it's like insurance for your marriage. Okay, wait, that's great. Tell me what, tell me what that means? I don't know. I just feel like it helps make you invincible, Like you're becoming your intentionally you are one as a married couple, but you're choosing to be one and just reiterating over and over, we are one, we are one. Yeah, And I think it's great. I love that. I agree. Hey, sex, Hi five great marriage, sex, great marriage, walks, going for walk? I love a good walk. You get your communication, you get I like to say the shoulder to shoulder men communicate better shoulder to shoulder than face to face. Okay, and I get that in my experience, and I've read it somewhere I can't remember. Super interesting, like girls are like let's get coffee. That's like sick. Yeah, Like we're doing this, Like guys, if they were doing this podcast, they'd be like this, yeah, because they're more open by way totally. And so we go for so much. So we go for a walk, and he just dreams and I enjoy it too. We'll pray while we walk because you're not just like sitting for laying in bed, and you're like in Jesus name, amen, it's I love that you're It's more conversational. It's like, God, we pray for this friend who has cancer, Like we say, no, she's a snave. Yeah, you know, like we're praying. We'll pray for this person's marriage or I don't know. It's more conversational. It doesn't end. I love that. It's great wine wine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also that leads to the great sex part.
Speaker 1: Just to be honest, not too much though. Yes, yes, he is a little whino I call him. Why is that like a negative term?
Speaker 2: Well, I just like it's a thing now. It's even on his apps. He just puts his wine glasses and I was like, yeah, it's terrifying. He doesn't do the thin ones. Just to reassure everyone who gets terrified it's gonna break into his mouth if they're like really fine ones. He doesn't, Okay, does certain consistency, Yeah, it has to be like semi indestructible. Yeah, okay, but it's never too taugh whatever. I mean, I love it. Yeah, he he like the SOMN documentaries if you ever watched those somm Yes, yeah, for Becoming a Master Somlier And it's a documentary. There's three of them now, of these people trying to be masters, and it is wild, like they have to blind taste three wides, three reds, say what year they are, where they're from, and there's hundreds right or thousands of wines yeah, oh yeah, and regions and there's only I think there's less than one hundred masters in the world. So the first documentary is really cool watching that process because it's like you have to be a savant, like this is not a normal person's skill set.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The funny part about it is we watched the first one when it came out on our TV and our old apartment living next to Miss Kathy and her cat and our little duplex drinking box wine watching the documentary, but it tastes cherry, hardboard, cardboard tennis balls, like it's like so funny. We like watched and drank the cheapest wine possible because that's all we could afford. And so then the second one came out, we got even more. We watched the second one like eight times. I gotta watch this. They're so fun.
Speaker 1: That second one's my favorite. It tells you why all of the things are as important as they are.
Speaker 2: Okay, like even how wine was affected by war, and it's really cool. So anyway, it got him super into wine. So I call him Russell digck Er Salm when he does this test when he does swirling.
Speaker 1: Which is disgusting, I like hate when people do that, but he does it every now and then if it's a very nice wine, he loves it.
Speaker 2: It's really it's really cute. I love that he's very into it and I get to reap the benefits of it. I'm like, yeah, this wine's delicious. Thanks babe, Hey, thanks for scoping. Yeah, exactly. So what are y'all watching on Netflix? He says, it's not Netflix but Marvelous Missus masl Love Love. We have two more episodes, and I like refuse to watch them because I don't I don't want it to be over. I'm just like that. I'm like, it can't be over. We're catching up on This is Us because I have to hear. I love it every time I'm in it. I'm like, Okay, I love watching this, but I have to gear up for each episode, Yes, because I know it's gonna just hug all my heart strings. Yes, which I love. I like feeling all the things. But he's less likely to be like, yeah, let's watch it as a seven because seven's avoid pain, and that show has them in it, so it really hits. He's like, let's watch Miss Mazel, Like let's watch the funny one.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really sweet. He watches what I want to watch because a lot of I think it is kind of like a spiritual thing for me. I if it's really heavy and dark, I really really feel it, yes, And I like, why am I praying against all of these heavy and dark things and then submitting myself to them and watching it. I'm like, this makes no sense. So one day I was like, if it's not if it doesn't make me feel great, I'm not watching it. We have enough real stress in our lives. Absolutely, I don't need fake stress. I love that. So we're happy show people. That's how we are to well, being married and such. Friends like, religiously, y'all should watch Last Man on Earth? Have you all seen that? Yes?
Speaker 1: It's okay, silly I have. We need to kind of back up it kind of took a little. It kind of is getting a little more intense, but like, Michael's the same way.
Speaker 2: The episode that first episode is the best pilot I've ever seen of Last Man on Ours, and he's like bowling with cars. The things are blowing up. Yes, yeah, that's one of my favorite pilots of all time. We watched it the whole first season and then I think we get lost interest in the second. Yeah, it's kind of cheesy, but it's cute. Yeah. Yeah, Michael's the same way. You kind of remind me of January Jones. Okay, great, thanks, Yeah, she's a babe.
Speaker 1: Okay, So obviously I want to talk to you forever, but I know you have to go to Best Call and there's laundry and all sorts of thah honey, honey, But I like to leave all my episodes of Leave Your Light. So just obviously you're super inspiring. This all is inspiring. But what do you want people to know? Like, what's the message you want to speak into people?
Speaker 2: Ooh that just love people, love them hard and well and intentionally. And I personally think being known is even better than being loved, because in our culture, everything is just like oh, I love you, I love you. I love you, But like nothing communicates love like actually investing in people and knowing them and knowing them well and in turn you're loving them well. I love that investing in people, invest in people. Do you invest in a lot of people or do you?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 2: I rein it in Yeah, I used to do a lot. LA has helped you ran that in Yes, that's part of the reason you're go at the apartment just to just to have alone time and not say yes to everything. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You said a quote like if you say yes to everything, it's because you're not learning how to prioritize your nose or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just because you're I forget exactly what it was. But if you're saying yes everything, it's only showing that you don't know how to say no. M h something to that effect. Like I had to really learn that, yeah, because one day I woke up and I realized I was like, I've gone to coffee eight times this week, and every single time I was helping someone and it was not reciprocated. Yes, And I was like, okay, that's the two wing. Like I enjoy it, but you can't financially. But then I realized I hadn't seen my very best friends, the ones who don't need me, yes in the best way, because they're reciprocal friendships. Yes. And I was like, dang, like I really need to reprioritize my life. And so my circle got smaller and smaller. And unless it's reciprocal, like it really doesn't get much of my time because there's not much of it left.
Speaker 1: I think that's so important. I feel like I've been that same way I was. I've always loved to be social. No everyone, love everyone. I had a breaking point in the past couple of years. I'm like, I am tired, Like I love knowing so many people and being in community, but same, it's like you just want to pour yourself into the relationships that really are that are life long, yeah, aren't like and then if someone comes around in it totally and it's great, but it's like, I'm not seeking that out like I used to.
Speaker 2: We had so many people live with us, stay with us, who needed us, Like those were beautiful times. But all of a sudden one year, I was like that season's done. Yeah, And that was the beginning of this last year and ever and thank God because if I had, we had nothing left. Honestly, we were so exhausted that if we were banking on anything in return from these people, we would have been screwed. I was like, not the people who stayed with us, but the ones who always needed our time. And yeah, we really had to rein it in. I love that. Yeah, I love you. You're so wise, girls, I just love you. I'm serious, I love you so much. Little miss sunshine over here. God, well I have a rain cloud too. I have to mind before like my four is like I'm a romantic scirit, it's a secret ring cloud back there. Well, if I haven't seen it, well, I've worked on it a lot because like I'm just I'm a romantic. That's what a four is.
Speaker 1: So like, I get so lost in feelings. I've had to learn how to separate them all and realize and like not.
Speaker 2: Get like go down the landslide with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's how my thirties, I will say, I've got a lot better. Like Therapy and Michael, Yeah, they're amazically team therapy. I just realize that I don't have to feel everything to the bottom, but when I feel something and it like affects me I have to go to the bottom so hard and just feel it and feel it.
Speaker 2: And that's why I can recover quickly from things.
Speaker 1: Like some people, something will hit them and it will take the years to process or like months. For me, I'm like in it all the way down immediately, like there, and then I just figure out how to get out of it.
Speaker 2: So it's really intense, but it's fast. That's good. That's a good thing. But it's a I'm glad you know how to do that. It's also psycho because like like bipolar, sometimes no you are not y out. Oh I'm freaking love you. Thank you for joining, thanks for coming over. Yes, I love it. I've foun on the road. M hm.