Speaker 1: We will sue you to.
Speaker 2: The corner.
Speaker 3: Welcome hang out, folks. It's time for a live stream here. It is sort of kind of the Just Baseball Show. As always, it's presented by bet MGM, but really this is our MLB Trade deadline. It's spectacular and it is presented by a new partner of Just Baseball. Goat Lapse is the presenting sponsor of the MLB Trade Deadline. We have so much we got I get into. There's gonna be so much more added to our place over the course of the next hour. The MLB Trade deadline is in fifty seven minutes at six pm Eastern. But you got myself Jack McMullin, him arm Lady, and then further off the side him Peter Apple. I couldn't really point to whoever, Peter tell us about our new friend, goat Labs, who is the presenting sponsor of our MLB Trade deadline live stream.
Speaker 4: So something we always do on the show is argue about who the goat is. Time to build him yourself one of the most famous trade deadline pickups ever made, hence the name of our sponsor, goat Lab. Today we're playing the trade deadline deck by Goat Labs spin a slot machine where every card is a famous deadline move Cespitus in twenty fifteen, Many Ramirez in two thousand and eight. Adley's Already In is a red spot. Everyone on Earth gets the same eight spins in the same order, and the ratings are all hit and no luck, no spreadsheet. It's just pure ball knowledge. And I actually played it this morning and created an eighty six overall player with the comp of Paul Goldschmidt. Not the soft side of the platoon Goldschmiit we're talking about prime Paul Goldschmi. And if you think you know ball better than me, prove it. Beat the eighty six overall and your name sits on our live leaderboard. The winner of today's competition will win a Just Baseball hat and shirt of their choosing. Finish your player and sim his whole career rings Hall of Fame. You can find the link to play this awesome game in the episode description. I'm telling you it's like one of those games that you have on your phone where you're spending time playing in it and it's really really addicting, and then you're like, wait, I've been on this game for almost way too long. That's how fun it is. It's one of those games that just sucks you in. It's a ton of fun. And you see the link right there. Hey, if you know ball better than us, go beat me. And I'm sure you will because I don't think I did very well in my first h Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can we acknowledge that while you greatly enjoy it, you're also really bad at it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Try because yah, yeah, I'm trying.
Speaker 4: You know, it's new. I'm having a good time, but yes, I wouldn't call myself good at itself.
Speaker 3: We already have so many of you joining us. Thank you so much for joining us on YouTube. It's a great YouTube crowd here already. Sure more of you are going to be joining as the trade deadline inches closer and closer. We're fifty four minutes away from the MLB trade deadline. The hard stop is at six pm Eastern time. Thank you for joining us on X if you're there as well at just BB Underscore Media, give us a follow our social team before we get into the trades, bit by bit, and we're going to go rapid fire through the first hour and everything else that comes across the ticker Peyton's going to kind of like sneak attack us, like you can throw up graphics and cards whenever. But Peyton and I are communicating via text to figure out like a run of show here. It has been a frenzy already, but we are going to go kind of bit by bit. But before we get into that, want to shout out our brilliant social team, because our team on Twitter on Instagram, they are kicking so much tail right now in terms of just posting, reporting, reporting, posting, posting, posting. We've got two guys that have scoops here, but I mean, it is so much fun to watch what our Just Baseball social channels have put out. So a huge testament to Addison and the rest of the team there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just hit eighty thousand followers on Instagram and that's a big shout out to all the people like Addison and Logan and the whole crew who have been running our socials, Twitter X, whatever you want to call it has been awesome as well. And then arm and I are posting trade breakdown videos on our TikTok, so it's just been an awesome ride. And again, special shout out to everyone here listening and the best way to support this YouTube live stream, make sure you just smash the like button and subscribe because we're going to continue to cover the trade deadline even afterwards and throughout the week, and we got some awesome guests lined up to come back on the Just Baseball Show. So hopefully for all of your trade deadline needs, make the Just Baseball Show your home. How about it?
Speaker 3: How about it, boys, We've got to run a show for all the trades here. But arm Layton newest report. The Red Sox have made Marcelo Meyer available per Chrispintio, that would potentially be for pitching. What is the value of the asset that is Marcelo Meyer at this very moment.
Speaker 2: I don't think extremely high. I think because I think there's a couple of.
Speaker 1: Things with Marcelo Meyer and I when you think about the Red Sox in the way that they've kind of handled some of the optics and what gets leaked and what doesn't, I think other teams are going to do their due diligence about just like, is this going to be somebody that's going to come in and immediately work really hard and do all the things that we want to have him overcome the injury concerns that he's had and things like that. Like, I think some of the team's frustration with Meyer has also kind of been aired out a little bit.
Speaker 2: That doesn't really help your case. But I think when you.
Speaker 1: Will get Meyer the player, I had two biggest concerns with him as a prospect. One was swing and miss and like how it would rear its head at the big league level, And was injuries. And I think you've seen both of those things be abundantly, you know, evident in his big league tenure so far through one hundred and fourteen games. So I think he's a really interesting second piece and a deal for a really good player or in a swap for you know, a lesser big leaguer.
Speaker 2: I think at this point, you know, there used to.
Speaker 1: Be burn resk there because like, what if Marcella Meyer figures it all out, You're going to really be upset if you moved him for you know, a reliever or whatever it may be. I think at this point, I don't know if you care as much because I think that burn rate becomes a little bit less concerning when you still see the injury challenges.
Speaker 2: It's not like he's a.
Speaker 1: Wizard defensively, and though the bats to ball has gotten better, you slug in three hundred through seventy games this year. I think there's a lot of things he has to overcome, and I think he's a change of scenery candidate.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, all right? So we just got news again reported by Jeff pass At a ESPN that Elliott Ramos is being traded from the San Francisco Giants to the New York Yankees. Said, we're going to have to walk the tight rope of reporting new news here and breaking down new news immediately, but also catching you up on what has happened today. So Peyton Genis, you can kind of like sneak attack us with any visual you may have built for Elliott Ramos go to the Yanks. But we're gonna start with probably the biggest move of the day, and it pertains to the Boston Red Sox and the team that's dangling Marcelo Meyer. Adlei Rutchman is the newest member of the Boston Red Sox. Adlie Rutchman, Jake Rogers, another catcher, Trek Scooble's best friend that was just dfaid by Detroit and picked up by Baltimore. Rutchman, Rogers and a little bit of cash go from Baltimore to Boston. The return another catcher, Carlos Norvayez, but the big ticket return the top pitching prospect in the Red Sox organization, right hander Anthony Ironsen, along with the right hander Kison Witherspoon, who was their first round pick last year, Andya Zokar, an outfield prospect and then a player to be named later. So Craig Breslow pushes the chips in here, Peter, I want to start with you. Adlie Rutchman stays in division, he goes from Baltimore to Boston. What is your knee jerk reaction to that?
Speaker 4: So my knee jerk reaction was, first of all, you traded Adlie Rutchman. That in and of itself, like you came up with that prediction during our trade deadline prediction. It's a nice call, by the way, and it seemed even a little bit outlandish, not because it's not understandable from the Orioles perspective, in order to trade Adli Rutchman, and when you've already extended Samuel Bissillo is kind of your catcher of the future. But still the idea of trading Adli Rutchman, especially when he's not a rental, when he's got a year and a half of control, is just rather shocking. And then you tell me you traded him in division, you better have gotten a hall. And I'll throw it over to Arum about the hall, but I know we both agree the O or excuse me, the Red Sox had to pay a big indivision tax because I wanted Adlee a ton as a Yankees fan. But once I saw the return, I was like, all right, Red Sox, you earned him, arned them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they paid the indivision tax.
Speaker 1: And I think with the uncertainty around like Baseball next year too, it's like, you better hope we got a pretty full season. But I think the biggest thing, too, is you wonder if the Red Sox feel pretty confident that they can extend you know, Adlie Rushman there, and if that's something that's that's part of this as well, because I just I think with how much you gave up here, you got to feel like you've got a shot to do that. Because I'm all for buying and being aggressive, and I think the Red Sox and the way this team has played, should absolutely do that. Adleie really elevates his team ceiling and a switch hitter and what he brings to the table and the defensive ability it goes him working with this pitching staff. There's so many exciting wrinkles to this. However, it's a lot. It is a lot. It's one of the stronger packages I can remember for you know, one and a half years of a player here and when you look at like you're getting Anthony Jinson to lead it off, and I think that's been We talked about him as breakout prospect going into this year, kind of everybody did, and then he's gone out there and not only broken out, but just has done every single thing that you would have I think the most bullish people would have hoped for, which is the stuff is better, but the command is right there, and he's just overwhelming hitters now even at the upper levels. The guy that was drafted ahead of him, their first round pick, Kyson Witherspoon. It's a really good by low opportunity is a first round pick that has struggled as the Red Sox tried to clean up his delivery a little bit. His arm action is stabby, and I think as they tried to smooth it out, it's caused him command and consistencies and the field for breaking balls hasn't totally been there. But this is a first round talent that you're kind of buying low on as he struggled that change the scenery, see if you can kind of revamp things and get him back to where he was. And then India's ocar has huge, huge upside here, and I think that's a really fun third piece. Potentially we're talking about a bat that at nineteen years old has already popped eggs of velosites his highs one hundred and thirteen, good field to pull the ball in the air that I think is going to translate that into potentially easy plus power as he grows. And there's some speed athleticism as well. Just those three guys alone are a crazy return for a year and a half, badly And I get it. Like, I'm not saying it's a bad trade, it's just for the O. It's like, if you're going to trade in division, this helps justify it for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like Jack, when you saw this trade too, it was just it was mind blowing. I think back and I was looking at the biggest Indivision trades over the last I don't know, twenty twenty five, thirty years, and I thought this might be the biggest ever since nineteen ninety nine when the Blue Jays traded Roger Clemens to the Yankees in exchange for David Wells. Now, there have been some big ones along the way, but that it's felt like the biggest. To me, Adley is a top five catcher in the game, and this hall is massive. This is one of the coolest trades I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 3: It is cool. I will pump the brakes on being the biggest Inner Division trade since Roger Clemens in nineteen ninety nine because Adley Rutchman is not who Adley Richmond once was. He just isn't. Over the last two years. It's the three point eight War. He's been on the shelf what three separate times this season already you're getting damaged goods Adlie. But he's still a very good baseball player, There's no doubt about that. But is he a catch six days a week guy anymore? Doesn't seem like it. He hasn't been doing that for Baltimore and Baltimore clearly favored the young catcher with the better bat right now in Samuelbisio over Adley Ruchman. That's why he was possibly expendable. It wasn't well, we're reluctant to deal with Superstar. But to your point, there's that intra division tax that you have to pay. So again, Addlie Rutchman goes from Baltimore to Boston. We've got another big deal that went Anaheim to Toronto. And first and foremost, slight golf clap for the La Angels getting John mose Lock in there and Ardi Moreno giving John mose Lock the ability to move. Guys, this is the first time we've ever seen the Angels sell when they should have sold fifteen times over the course of the last seventeen or eighteen years.
Speaker 1: So do you think that was Perry then that more so it was like I want to operate this way, or do you think it was more mosay Lock finally saying I'm going to change my ways. I'm firing or not mosaic excuse me, the already saying I'm gonna change my ways. I can't. It's it's like the toxic relationship. I need to grow up as a person. I'm getting rid of this this bad friend that helps me do bad things, and we like and break up with them, or just break off with that friend and let me bring in somebody better, smarter, more experience, and let's start to try to do business.
Speaker 2: The right way here.
Speaker 1: I feel like that was more of what it was like Perry was more of a signaling of a new approach for Artie, who wowed good self awareness to finally come around here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really don't think it was a Perrymanassi and John Mozae lock problem. I think Perry probably wanted to run the team a little bit different than the way Arty Moreno wanted him to run the team. And once Arty Moreno fired Perry Manassi and it kind of sort of seemed like it was time for an entire overhaul. And I think Artie Moreno is understanding of that. Artie Moreno, over the course of his life has made a lot of money. That means he's made a lot of good decision and I think he can probably look himself in the mirror and say, we're the butt of every joke in baseball right now. We've officially overtaken the Rockies. So You've got that going on here, But do want to get into that again. We're trying to like toe the line of being ready to react to immediate reporting while also going back and recapping the best deals of the day. Your smiling arm. What just came through?
Speaker 1: I think kind of exactly what I was saying about what Marcelo Myers value probably is at this point.
Speaker 2: Traded for a reliever, You nailed it.
Speaker 4: That's why I was waiting for Jack to usher the trade because I wanted you to kind of you caught the alley oop earlier on to the show, and then you just dunked it. He got traded for a reliever. I like Eric Miller. I like Eric Miller. He was traded for a reliever.
Speaker 3: Interesting, and that's a very crowded infield. I understand Casey Schmid's hurt, but fascinating. All right, let's actually talk about this Halo deal and then we can circle back on Elliott Ramos and Marcelo Meyer. I do want to talk about Jose Sorianum going from the La Angels to the Toronto Blue Jays. Jose Soriano was one of the more interesting, possibly available names on the pitching market this year. And Soriano makes his way from Anaheim to Toronto for Argin d'mala, their second best prospect Eddie mcletty and right hander on hell Rivero as well three Paspec return arm lighton the big ticket name here is Argin Damala. Kind of want to kick it over to you. First initial thought on Soriano joining the Jays and Themala being traded by.
Speaker 2: Toronto, Yeah, kind of surprising, you know.
Speaker 1: I think we thought Toronto might sell nothing crazy, not like go nut sell, but sell some rental pieces and call it today. But I think they on opportunity to position themselves for the next couple seasons and they go get Soriano, who I think they're even going to probably tweak his usage even a little bit more and maybe get away from the four seamer. We'll see what they do there, but a guy that's clearly going to bolster their rotation for I mean the rest of this season, which that doesn't matter as much, and then two more after that, maybe they extend and we'll see the biggest and most surprising part is you usually just don't see prospects of Argent Namala's caliber traded at the deadline, and by that, like Yeah, you see some borderline top one hundred guys.
Speaker 2: You see like big packages that we've talked about.
Speaker 1: But Namala for us, the top thirty prospect, this guy that's going to stick it shortstop.
Speaker 2: He's their former first round pick. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's had a little bit of turbulence, which was to be expected as one of the youngest players in the draft class, but has just continued to get better and was a big riser for us, as we talked about on the call up, because he added more power, the bats of ball got better, the approach got better, and he had settled into it now double a in his age twenty season where he's been really productive. A little bit of a hamstring issue, you know, delayed a bit of that, but has been back and swinging yet again.
Speaker 2: So when you have plus raw.
Speaker 1: Power the ability to stick it short, that's not a guy that I feel like a team is quick to move off of. And that was surprising for me. I get that you're getting two and a half year, two and thirty years here of Soriana, but this year is kind of wiped out, so I was a bit surprised. But at the end of the day, they upgraded their big league team, and you know, Namal is still a year plus away. And I think this was as good of a get for the Angels though. And this is just the Angels operating, which is exciting. We've talked about it with the Rockies, like seeing them just operate, seeing the Angels operate here. John mose look had some of his shortcomings in Saint Louis. It felt like the game kind of passed them by a little bit. But the guy knows the process, he knows how to do things, and compared to what they were doing before and Anaheim, this is a signal.
Speaker 2: Of I think better days ahead for Angels fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Peter, what do you think about the fit of Jose Soriano going from Anaheim to Toronto when Soriano is controllable for two more years beyond this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really commend GM Ross Atkins for a deal like this because I think a lot of gms, especially those on teams that had high expectations and then kind of fell down and don't look like a playoff team. Per Fang Grafts, the Blue Jays only have about a six percent chance of making the playoffs, So a lot of those gms might just say all right, We'll sell off expiring pieces and go get him next year. But ross Akins said, I'm not going to be put in this arbitrary buyer or seller bucket. I'm going to make the best moves for my team moving forward. And I think this was a great move and it sets up a really strong rotation next year with Dylan Ceese at the top, Jose Soriano, Trey Is Savage, and then they're going to get Cody Ponce back as well. And I think there was also a move Dalton Varshow in exchange for Spencer Arraghetty, so maybe he's there five. So I really appreciate Atkins. Isn't just your normal seller, right he gave away Gosman. He could have said all right, deadline over or traded away Varshow and just kind of gotten a little bit complacent, but he said, no, we still have an elite team here. We went to the freaking World Series last year and I'm going to continue to build and Soriano Argientamal is a great piece. But they also have Jojo Parker who could potentially be their shortstop of the future as well. Not sure about that. I want to throw that over to Arum just at least another shortstop of note, So I really like the move from Atkins.
Speaker 3: Arm quick pushback from you on the Parkernmala conversation, and then I want to cap the Blue Jay thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've saw that point made by a few And my thing with that is, like, if you're trading an upper minors shortstop prospect.
Speaker 2: Because you have a low way.
Speaker 1: Shortstop prospect that's swinging it pretty well, I don't know, like if that would be the best process. I think this was just them really just wanting Jose Soriano and maybe it's a little bit easier just knowing that at least you have somebody else that can really, you know, project into that guy. But I still have some concerns if Parker can stick it short like in Namala is an above average shortstop. But I agree with everything Peter said in terms of like the process for the Jays here, and this is a team that is not all that different from the team that made it to the World Series and almost won it, Like with some of these bolstered pieces here and just this season's loss, a lot of shit didn't go their way. Running it back next year with a little bit of a better luck and then the year after that with the same core that got there. Yeah, you lost a couple of small pieces, but you tap able to jolt it like this, I think is exciting and there I guess they're hoping that they're going to be able to replenish a little bit of the farm system with some of the smaller trades. It's a steep price to pay, but if Jose Soriano is a mid rotation starter for you for the next two years after this, I think it's worth it, assuming that the blue Jays are remotely competitive, which is ultimately the expectation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real quick, just want to tie a bow on the blue Jay thought, because I think Peter hit the nail on the head, like this was certainly the blip in the radar season, and there were a whole bunch of things that went wrong right away, Like mind you, the blue Jay slide. This season was effectively shot at the beginning of the year, and they had this climb back to relevance and then this stooped down a couple of weeks ago, but April did them in. And it goes back to like the age old adage, you can't win a division in April. But you can certainly lose a division in April, and Toronto lost a division in April, and it was injury related, right, No, you Savage for the first couple of months really stunk. Ponce getting hurt right away, really stunk Alejandro Kirk getting hurt right away, Springer getting hurt right away. They had so many guys in that lineup that got hurt, while Okamoto was underwhelming for the first month and a half of his career, and then Vladdie, I mean, Vladdy hasn't hit the ball out of the ballpark. And you think that that's coming to correct itself next year. You will see a better version of the Blue Jays next year. I promise you. This was the tenth percentile outcome this year of the Toronto Blue Jays. And if we get the sixtieth percentile, they're a wild card team, no doubt, and they're probably competing for second that division. And if we get the seventy fifth or eightieth percentile next year, especially with Soriano and Ponce and Sees and Y Savage, that can be a really dangerous team and a World Series caliber team as soon as next year. Take us to one of the newer moves here the Yankees. They finally do something to address the offense. Mark fine Stand reported the New York Yankees. The New York Yankees they not only acquired Luis Garcia Junior yesterday last night, they also go and get Elliott Ramos from the San Francisco Giants. So Elliott Ramos is officially a New York Yankee. Henry l Lane is going to be the primary prospect in the return. Elliott Ramos is a masher, particularly against left handed pitching. He brings some thump to that lineup, Peter, where do your concerns sit with Elliott ramos.
Speaker 4: Defense and his ability to hit right handed pitching? And he's one of those players too where where when you watch him enough consistently, Consistency is not a part of his game. It's a lot of ebbs and flows. However, at the top of the mountain, he could be a really, really solid player and provide a ton of explosion at the plate. But at the bottom he's swinging and missing too much, and the defense has I've seen some horrific plays out there in left field. But the Yankees they're not acquiring Elliott Ramos to be their everyday left fielder. They're acquiring Elliott Ramos to be a soft, slide, soft side of the platoon bat and against left handed pitching. This season, he's rocking a one to twenty seven WRC plus, which means he's been twenty seven percent above the league average rate against left handed pitching, which is exactly what the Yankees need. And I was a little bit surprised to see Henry Lallane as the main prospect in this deal. I think the Giants are getting a really good, young pitching prospect, but then you have to remember that Elliott Romos comes with what three and a half years of control, and he's really cheap as well. But ultimately, I thought the Giants did pretty well here, and I feel like the Yankees the clock is running out on them on their ability to acquire a right handed bat. Don't love this one, don't. I don't hate it.
Speaker 3: I don't love it either, arm as disagreement on something you said.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's just one of those where it's like that you're gonna have to kind of bargain ben shot for right handers.
Speaker 2: At this point, there's just not that many right handed.
Speaker 1: Bats out there, so I don't hate like the creativity, and if they gave up somebody more and more impactful, I get it. What's interesting is is Lelane has a lot there's a lots of dream on there, but like emphasis on the dream side. Now he's taking a big step forward here, and I think when you look at the the Giants organization and what you can bring to the table here, it's the exact kind of guy you want to probably get in a deal like this, but giving out cheap he is and and you know, maybe they can unlock something the Yankees with with Ramos or help him improve in some areas. I think it's at least interesting from that perspective. Lane has had a really nice year. Injuries have limited him and and have also caused the velocity to fluctuate.
Speaker 2: This guy's six foot seven two and eleven pounds.
Speaker 1: He's definitely gotten stronger this year as he's gotten healthier, and his fastball is up two ticks so now averaging ninety four miles per hour.
Speaker 2: He gets good extension down the mount obviously with.
Speaker 1: How big he is, and the secondaries have been a work in progress, but that the change up has always been there for him, and that's a pitch that I feel like has gotten a lot better this year as well, feel wise, and then he's trying to find that breaking ball.
Speaker 2: It's just not as much.
Speaker 1: He's clearly a pronator, but the fastball change up combination from a six to seven lefty is really fun to kind of dream on. He's twenty two years old, still hasn't pitched above high A, but he had a lot of success at low way and it started to settle in.
Speaker 2: At high A. So I think it's a fun get for the Giants.
Speaker 1: But one, if you're the Yankees, I don't think you're losing a ton of sleepover. It's probably a player that you know when you look at all of the arms that the Yankees have, not the end of the world to keep trading a.
Speaker 3: Few another fun one that Peyton just fleshed up on the screen. If you're with us on YouTuber x, and thank you all very much for again joining us here on our MLB draft or on not our MLB draft, on our MLB Trade deadline live stream. I can't conflate all the live streams. Man Ken Rosenthal reporting the Brewers are working to acquire reliever Antonio Senzatela from the Colorado Rockies. This is about forty five minutes removed from Milwaukee going to acquire Dustin May and Jojo Romero from the Saint Louis Cardinals. So an interesting one that we can dissect momentarily. I do want to take us to one of the more disappointing deadlines. Credit to you, Peter Apple, the Atlanta Braves. We have thirty minutes to go until the MLB trade deadline at six pm Eastern time. But the Atlanta Braves have been active. But just how active is this? The Braves acquire Tyler Malley from San Francisco for right hander Anthony Molina. They acquire lefty bullpen arm Brent Souiter from the Angels for Nacho Alvarez Junior. And they also go and get Lane Thomas and Bailey Falter from the Royals for Lucas Brow and Carter Holton. There's not much sex appeal here for the Atlanta Braves, like if they were gonna go be a big swinger, this is not the deadline you want to see if you're Braves fans. Again, there's thirty minutes left. They can go do something much bigger, But Atlanta, you're right, Peter, this is just kind of a dud from them at this deadline. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The reason I made this prediction was I was looking at the Braves roster and I said, all right, the Braves don't actually need anything, which means Alexanthopolis is not going to trade from his farm system in order to get big time pieces, because that's what Alexanthopolis does. And I go back and forth on him because on one hand, I fully recognize what an incredible job he's done overall with the Braves, but then at the same time, I can understand Braves fans' frustrations where they feel like he never does the big time move, the big swing, right, and the Dodgers are making big swing. There's other teams who are making big swings. We just talked about the Adley deal right where it was a quote unquote overpay. Other teams are overpaying, but they're getting the guy and they're trying to make a run at the playoffs, while the Braves are making the model win type moves, the bargain bin moves. Well, we think we can get more out of this guy who's pitched to a thirteen era this season, And that was my worry with the Braves because unless they absolutely needed something, I said, they're probably not going to do much then and now it's not nothing. Lane Thomas is a nice addition, right, he could certainly hit left hand handed pitching. They'll slot in nicely to their outfield. We said that was one of their needs. They got a starting pitcher, Tyler Mallley, who did look good in his last start, like he does slot into the back end of their rotation. But I think Jack when we were an arm two, when we were all having the discussion about the Braves, we wanted it too because we thought relying so fully Spencer Schwellenbach to come back from full health is putting a lot on him. So we were hoping they would make a big swing, even for a Casey mice right, But instead they get Tyler Malley. And I feel like they have seven Tyler Malley's in house. Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: Are them?
Speaker 4: Don't they have seven of these guys? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: And that's why I just kind of felt like it might just be an ing z eating, like just just insurance policy move, and they just that we haven't seen anything else yet. I'm still holding my breath, like myes felt like the perfect fit, and I still feel like there's some sort of world where that happens at the deadline, so like, we got another twenty seven minutes here, so I'm curious. But yeah, it does just kind of feel like that classic Braves deadline where they make some of those secondary additions to just kind of help bolster them for the rest of the regular season run and they trust in their guys.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: The MLB Trade Deadline live stream for Just Baseball is presented by goat Labs. Goat Labs is a brand new sponsor of Just Baseball, so excited to be working with them. And if you haven't scanned the QR code in the bottom right corner yet, I highly recommend you do so, because it's really easy to beat Peter Apple at this game. Here got dash lab dot app slash Just Baseball. You have to beat Peter's score of eighty six. ARM and I both built in one hundred and three overall player, a one oh three overall player, but Peter with the same grouping of guys. Because you get a set of spins. Wow, you get a set of spins. Every day you can build your ultimate player, play out their career and see how they do. How about this bomb that Peyton Gen has just dropped on us Foster Griffin, who signed a one year deal coming over from Japan in All Star for the Washington Nationals this year, and it was reported by Buster Only a ESPN that they could be interested the Washington Nationals in working out extension with Foster Griffin. The slide right before the deadline per Robert Murray sends Foster Griffin from Washington to Cleveland. Cleveland, mind you, is the only team in Major League Baseball that hasn't used a sixth starting pitcher this year. They've had five guys start a baseball game for them. They have had supreme health, and they add an All Star starting pitcher to the fold. My initial thought is do they go six man rotation here? My other thought is, holy smokes, Cleveland looks good right now. Griffin is a blast to watch, just perform surgery on the mound every fifth day.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad the Guardians made this move because one, isn't Foster Griffin the most Cleveland Guardians pitcher you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I don't think Messik to Griffin will be the most frustrating series of all time and obviously if Gavin Williams leading to notf but I'm thinking about those two lefties would drive me insane.
Speaker 3: Is the best and then you got can Tillo is like this wild card out of the pen. It's gonna be so much fun.
Speaker 4: And you know what, we gave a golf clap to the Angels for finally, you know, going in that type of direction. How about the Cleveland freaking guardians.
Speaker 3: Like Joe Adelin, Foster.
Speaker 4: And Foster Griffin. And that's what I'm talking about, guardians like we want to go win this shit. So I think it's a great job by Cleveland. I'm just curious what the return is for Foster Griffin because like Jack All Star having a fantastic season, what are the Nationals going to get in return? I want to see to Bony cook.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's been cooking, mind you, so really fun here, arm What do you make of Foster Griffin's year? Do you see sustainability?
Speaker 1: I feel like I was waiting for like month, two, month three in there for that to start to like just for him to regress a little bit, and I just don't think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: We've seen now.
Speaker 1: I think a large enough sample size where the stuff is just good enough, when paired with the surgical aspect of his ability in the man that you mentioned Jack, that he's just going to be incredibly consistent, and when you paired just the field of pitch that he has the deep bag of offerings. I mean, it's like there's six different offerings that he can come at you with maybe a seventh that whole technically throwing there. And even when he doesn't have it that day with one of his offerings, he can pivot to another one and execute.
Speaker 2: So I love this get for the Guardians.
Speaker 1: It raises their ceiling too, because he's better than I don't know who gets displaceds at Cantillo.
Speaker 2: Would it be Cantillo that gets displaced?
Speaker 3: I think, would it be Secconi?
Speaker 2: I thought, yeah, probably say Jacconi.
Speaker 1: You move him out of the rotation, raises the ceiling in that rotation, and now you've got three different guys that you feel really good about getting the ball, and then of course still a fourth solid one.
Speaker 3: Four players reportedly going back to Washington from Cleveland for Foster Griffin, so excited to see who those four players are. Also, Peyton will allow you time to build out the graphic. But the Minnesota Twins, Peters Twins getting Jeff Hoffman from the Toronto Blue Jays. Damn, they're going in. We talked about the Braves and their disappointing deadline. It was pretty disappointing for Philly until this morning when they go and get the premier bat to ball guy in Major League Baseball and Luisa Rise, Luisa Rise and a reliever that throws one hundred miles an hour in Caleb Killian. Arise and Killian go from San Francisco to Philadelphia for Ramone. Marquez and Marty gare two right handed pitching relievers. Arm you think Marquez is really good, and I want to tee you up for that in a moment here. But Arise creates this puzzle, like this jigsaw puzzle that has been sorted out reportedly. I think it was toddz Aleki that reported this. Bryce Harper brought his outfield glove on the last road trip. Harper's going to be pivoting back to right field or left field. Harper's going to be playing the corner outfield. Bryceon Stott is going to make the pivot from second base to third base and Alec Baum is going to go corner to corner. He was the third baseman. Bom is now going to play first base for the Philadelphia Philly So again it's going to be Bom at first, Arise at second, Trey Turner remains at short stot at third, and Bryce Harper goes to the corner outfield. Before we get into the Arise fit in Philly, which I feel like is a slam dunk. Personally, arm who is Ramone Marquez.
Speaker 2: This has been one of the breakout pitching prospects in baseball.
Speaker 1: Here, and I honestly think they had to tack on Killian just to be able to get Marquez back in this deal, because Killian's a sneaky get in this.
Speaker 2: In this like, he's not insignificant given that you know he's pitched at.
Speaker 1: Leverage for the Giants and you've got five years of control with that, I really think they had to attack him on. They probably didn't want to move him to be able to get a pitcher like Marquez. Marquez's fastballs ticked up one point five miles per hour this year, so he's now sitting in the mid nineties. That's always huge for a guy that has an elite change up, so now you have that velocity separation. Marquez's changed up, it's like a freaking screwball out of that release point and it's like fourteen to fifteen miles per hour of separation there and it just falls off the table. Punts are heading below one hundred against Marquez's change up this season, and with the uptick in velocity, it's also made his kind of cutterish slider sharper and more effective as well. So you have the better fastball, you have the elite change up, you have that cutter ofsh slider as well, and a good field to pitch. Going into this like month or going into July, we wrote up the Giant System, crazy fun bats, high upside guys that you say, Wow, the system's really improved, especially if these guys can figure it out, you know, at the lower levels.
Speaker 2: But they need more pitching, especially upper level right handed pitching.
Speaker 1: They go out and get Jackson four in the draft, they get two other high upside arms with their second and third picks, and then now they add in Marquez here. This is one of the most rapidly like rising and strong systems. Now, all of a sudden, in Baseball. I know it's been a horrible loss season for Giants fans and for the Giants, but at the very least this system was already had as much momentum as any You add some of these guys to the fold two, this is a really balanced, now and exciting system.
Speaker 3: Peter, what do you think about Dave Dombrowski trading a breakout pitching prospect to go and get a rental a Rise who changes the fabric of this lineup drastically.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why Arm is so great, because I didn't know much about this pitching prospect. And then I'm watching those highlights that podcast Pe put up there, and I'm like, that is a nightmare for hitters. You see that tunnel Arm, Like it's from the same exact Arm, and he's got the slider, and he's got the changeup and he's got the fastball, and it just feels like, at least again just from watching that video, the guys aren't ready for it. So for the Phillies or excuse me, the Giants, to get a piece who looks as good as he just did, I'm impressed. But on the Phillies side, on the major league side, the Phillies desperately needed a bat. It's kind of that same conversation that we had with the Yankees and Luis Garcia, where you thought, wait, where's he gonna play? You figure it out, because at the end of the day, the Philadelphia Phillies ranked twenty ninth and on base percentage this season twenty ninth Luisa Riaz three sixty OBP right batting average, they ranked twenty third. Luisa Riaz, he's hitting three twenty three thirty. So it's a bat that can set the table at the top for guys like Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber because Trey Turner ain't cutting it at the top of the lineup right, But maybe you move Turner back in the lineup a little bit. I don't know exactly what they are going to do, but Luisa rise just simply looking at the bat is a perfect fit inside the Phillies lineup. Now, defensively, that's where I'm not sure I even put out you know on Twitter that I wouldn't be shocked. I don't think this is going to happen, but I think it would be at least interesting to try if you actually put Trey Turner out there in center field, and you move Bryson Stott over to shortstop. Stott is I think would be a much better defensive shortstop than Trey Turner has been this season with negative fourteen defensive run saved and negative eight outs above average. If Turner can't field a position, put him out there in center. But I'm texting arm about that and You're like, and he's like, so we're going to give Trey Turner a crash course on centerfield in August. And I'm like, well, yeah, that's probably not a good idea. But then I would argue, is it a good idea to keep rolling him out there at shortstop? So regardless, the Phillies are going to figure out defensive positioning and even our friend the Warmongerer, who does great work on X make sure that you follow him really in depth on the defensive side.
Speaker 1: And oh, he's amazing. He's amazing. He has answered so many questions for me. I've had players ask me questions about defensive metrics.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I go straight to him and relay the message back and.
Speaker 1: He agreed with me. So that was like, wait, I did I saw that? And I was like, I gotta walk it back a little bit.
Speaker 4: But but but it's it's it is jarring because you're telling a short stuff to just go learn center field.
Speaker 1: Who's already struggling to figure out how to get it going at the plate.
Speaker 2: And it's like, oh, try to figure it out in center too.
Speaker 4: But he's not a rookie though he's tree freaking turner. Couldn't you figure it out? But regardless, you're adding Luisa rise to bat. That is the most that's the most important. The Phillies, they'll figure out defensive positioning. That's the least of our worries. We got to hit.
Speaker 2: This lineup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And does that oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, the fact that you can just instead of the big boppers at the top, that you have just another quality at bat to just add there, and and the opportunities and the way that he could potentially set the table you mentioned obp but for him setting the table like you can provide protection in front of some of these power guys too, And I think that's gonna be a big part of it as well. So I'm really interested to see how they set up the lineup after that. But it affords a lot of opportunity there for Mattingly and for the Phillies, and I think he's going to be a great spark.
Speaker 3: You know. I think, like in terms of a new school thought, that a Rise doesn't need to hit leadoff here, Like a Rise was obviously in the top two of the Giant lineup pretty much every single game this year. But I'm thinking, if you have Luisa Rise hitting fifth in this lineup, that does so much. Because there are some decent obp guys at the top, it's been the bottom half of the Philly lineup that has tanked their numbers to the point where they're twenty ninth in baseball and on base Like they were running out a thirty four year old, thirty five year old JT Realmuto, who is a shell of what JT was a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: They're still going to run him out there though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, they're still running him out there, but for two more years after this one. Yeah, when JT was hurt, I mean, you were looking at Rafael Marshawn, who I think so I think his ops started with a two, if I'm not mistaken, and then Garrett Stubbs as well, so like it was a bad situation. And then Crawford has not been that good in center field, at least from an offensive production standpoint, and they've had other guys that have been very underwhelming, like boem Is ticked up over the last month and a half two months. Oh man, how about this from Derek Gold. I believe this Saint Louis post dispatch. Ali Marmould just walked out to bring back Lars Newtbar from batting practice and he's getting hugs from coach John Jay and others. So Lars Newbar is going to be on the move. We will find out very shortly. Yeah, man, I think this Philly lineup construction could be very interesting, and I think having a rise in a place to drive in runs could also be a fascinating wrinkle to this. Before we move on to the next trade, I also want a golf clatt Brice Harper, because Harper now on several different occasions, has actively made a pivot to better the Philadelphia Phillies. He went from the corner outfield to first base to help them win and to give them more flexibility when his arm is not one hundred percent. And now he's saying, you know what, we get a shot to get a rise and retool our infield shit. Let me grab the outfield glove and let me push back into the corner outfield spot. I think he's very, very selfless when it comes to things like that, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: But to that point, I'm really interested to see what he looks like defensively. What is the first time in the outfields in twenty twenty two, didn't even play a ton of outfield even in twenty twenty two. That's going to be a big I think wrinkling this whole thing too in terms of how much better or worse the defense will be with this shuffle is how ultimately he looks in the outfield.
Speaker 2: But I think we might have just got our braves move real quick.
Speaker 4: Do we bring him back to the Juco days, put him behind the dish.
Speaker 3: Also the edge, and then on the hill pumping ninety six?
Speaker 4: Oh that'd be sick. Bryce Harper wouldn't even know how to squat anymore. But he's still got that arm. All I'm saying is, you know, think creatively. That's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 3: Putting trades over in center field Peyton. If we have a visual for Lars newt Bar, we can run that. If not, we can move on to the next deal. Let me know. No, he's saying, I have no idea. I think Arm, Could you have gotten duped by the comments or no?
Speaker 2: Do they get duped for what?
Speaker 3: All right, let's pivot to the next trade that we got to talk about here that went down a couple of hours ago. Staying in the National leagueese, but kind of going the other way. Liam Hicks is traded from the Miami Marlins to the Tampa Bay Rays. Liam Hicks who's played a lot of first base in DHS of late, but still catching once or twice a week. Braden Taylor, former first round pick, along with a couple other guys, go back to the Miami Marlins, Jacob Kissing, a right handed pitcher, and then Adrian Santana who has had some prospect pedigree as an infielder as well. Arm lighton three prospects in return for a Rule five pick last year will be a breakout mat this year in Liam Hicks. What was your take on the return?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, first, just heck of a process there by the Marlins and Bendix to turn a Rule five pick into you know what He's given them value wise over the last year and a half and then also the return, but you no, I did think that Liam Hicks was.
Speaker 2: Worth a little bit more than this return.
Speaker 1: I know some out there really like it, especially if you really like defense. This is a very We've seen it with Bendix.
Speaker 2: These are like model players.
Speaker 1: And by that I mean defense, some contact skills and you know, some speed as the carrying tools, but there might be some other flaws in the game, and when you watch them, you're not totally sure if that's going to completely translate. Britain Taylor is getting his third taste of double A. He's breaking out this year in a lot of ways and having a great year, but still struggling against spin. The evs are a little bit lighter than the power numbers would suggest, so that is a little bit of a concern with me.
Speaker 2: Santana is just a classic, you know fit for the Marlins.
Speaker 1: Who loves Starling Cobba. They get a guy that I think is very similarly coded. Great back to ball switch hitter, can run South Florida kid I think will stick it short, but I think he has a max air exit velocity of one hundred and three miles per hour this year, so that's going to need to improve a little bit. That's that's you know twenty great Bob. And then uh, the third piece is.
Speaker 2: Maybe the most interesting.
Speaker 1: Where you're getting a right hander that oh with the t vax and it wou'd be a fun one. You're getting a right hander that has broken out this year, throws a splitter and a change up and has a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Feel to spind it.
Speaker 1: I think the arm that they end up getting might be the most interesting in terms of what it may look like at the upper levels.
Speaker 2: But let's go. I'm very happy about this movie.
Speaker 4: This is the tough part about this stream is like I want to hear raa but that I get the alert that Lars new Bars go to Arizona. That I'm just like looking at him looking out at my phone and there's just so much happening, and this is why it's so much fun. But it's hard to get all of the thoughts correctly in in a in a good you know, segmented way. But we're trying our best here.
Speaker 3: Put put a pin in the newt Bar to Arizona thing real real quick, because I do want to tell us, actually, no, we got it. Peyton, Good for you man, that's a lightning quick turnaround. Per Hoor Hat Castile, Yeah, per horor Hate Castell and Alvin Gonzalez. The Diamondbacks are requiring Lars Newt Bar from the Saint Louis Cars. Newt Bar is a really interesting fit. And Mike Hasen two months ago told everybody that he not the team. He wanted a lefty hitting corner outfielder or first baseman. And Mike Hasen gets his lefty hitting corner outfielder and Lars Newtbar our knee jerk reaction. I know you have been following the Diamondbacks and their need for maybe offensive help pretty closely. They've had a very quiet deadline day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I was getting a little worried that something may not line up for them, being that this is a.
Speaker 2: Team that I've been pumped about this year.
Speaker 1: I think Peter has put me on the spot a couple of times throughout the year and checked in. There's been spots around like, yeah, this is still a playoff team, and then there's been.
Speaker 2: Other spots that I'm like, ah, it's getting harder to believe.
Speaker 1: And then they've been really really good of late six games over five hundred, like they needed to add to this team, even with the flaws.
Speaker 2: You got to add to a team like that.
Speaker 1: But their system isn't great and you don't want to trade from the couple guys you have at the top.
Speaker 2: How do you pull this off?
Speaker 1: They're able to do it here, and again, not a ton of ton of bats to be able to go get. I think this is a good fit for them and comes with a little bit of control as well. I'm interested to see how the profile plays out there. A guy that's always had good underlying data, We've always been waiting for it to fully fully come to fruition.
Speaker 2: But Arizona's a good place to maybe help that happen.
Speaker 1: They need they needed a left handed bat as bad as anybody. Right you look at their left e bats, it's Corbyn, Carrol, it's the switch hitters in Perdomo and Marte. Marte is better from the right side, and then it's Kepler and that's about it. So to be able to plug in, you know, a proven, establish consistent left handed bat here in the outfield, I think really really helps this Dbacks line up.
Speaker 3: I love it. Peter anything on newt Bar going to Arizona or should we push onto the Chicago cups I.
Speaker 4: Think are mostly covered it. You know, when we're looking for a left handed power bat, we're looking for a right handed contact bat. They needed a bat like period. Right This is a team that ranks twenty second in ops. You look at Homer's, you look at Steels, you look at me. Across the board, they're either average or below average at so and Lars Newbar has been a really solid bat. The problem is he just hasn't been able to really stay healthy. But he's healthy now and that's what the Diamondbacks are acquiring. So again, any bats are good bats for Arizona.
Speaker 3: Okay, we will push to a Cub conversation right now, because the Cubs have been very active in terms of addressing pitching and it's been an impressive deadline from Jed Hoyer and Carter Hawkins. Here we'll start with the deal that you guys didn't get to last night because it came in late. Kevin Gosman made the move from Toronto to Chicago for Brett Bateman and outfielder and Tie South. The scene, an infield prospect who is the older brother of Tate South. The scene of the Atlanta Braves a breakout that arm hit on on the call up late last week. But Kevin Gosman is a frontline arm that has bonafied playoff performances under his belt. Gosman is such a great get for the Cubs. I was fired up for Shak when I saw this trade come through, because they needed someone like this. There's a lot of unknown Frankly, there's a lot of nothing in that Cub rotation right now because of the way injuries have just decimated it over the course of this season. But they needed someone experienced and seasoned and veteran, and someone that it was gonna be like not hard to pry away from a team, but would make it emotional to pry that guy away from that team. And I know Blue Jays fans are really upset that Gosman had to go. It was the best course of action, obviously, because Gosman is in a walk year here. But Kevin Gosman with the Cubs screams to me, match made in heaven. Peter, how do you see the Gosman fit in Chicago?
Speaker 4: Couldn't agree with you more. I feel like this Cubs rotation is an anxiety riddled rotation and Gosman slows the heartbeat right. He comes in. He's a professional. He's been there, done that, you know.
Speaker 3: I like showed up.
Speaker 4: I like Matthew Boyd. I like a couple of their arms. But this is a bit there, done that type of picture. And you also feel like Gosman, while he's not having the best year, we haven't seen a stark drop off and stuff or anything. This is still Kevin Gosman. And I've said this about Kevin Gosman before, and I'll say it probably for the rest of the season and for the rest of his career. Gosman is at his best when he's pinpoint with the fastball and the splitter, because you could just never guess right. And I've seen him dice through elite lineups when he's got it. When he doesn't, it doesn't look all that great, and more often than not he hasn't had it. But when that focus locks in during the playoffs for the Cubs, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best pitcher in this rotation come October and it didn't cost them all that much, right arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A couple of really glove first bat to ball guys also kind of the model fit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think higher four pieces.
Speaker 1: But if you're the Cubs, I don't think you're losing sleep over that, especially with some of the top end position player of prospects that you got it that you also use to make other additions here.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I think the ceiling aspect when he's locked in, I agree, Pete, and then just just a guy that has been there, I think is absolutely huge.
Speaker 2: I also wanted to tie a bow because we.
Speaker 1: Had something to come in on the Liam Hicks Ray's side of the deal before we had the excitement.
Speaker 2: I love the fit for a couple of different reasons.
Speaker 1: But the Rays have always kind of punted the catching position right, and we've talked about that. But Nick Fart says that a really nice series is a good defender, but that's a guy that you kind of like more in a part time role behind the dish. So Hicks is able to give you, you know, an upgrade there. But the Rays are the only team in Major League Baseball with a contact rate above above eighty percent. You add now Liam Hicks there, who's fourth in the league in contact rate at ninety percent, and so you're already taking the number one strength they have and making it even stronger, they have the lowest strikeout rate in the league at nineteen point two percent, and you add a guy with a strikeout rate of nine and a half percent. So the Rays, already being the best bat to ball team are even more bat to BALI and you still have guys that can hit the ball hard, right and camin arow and and Ronda and of course Das Yeah.
Speaker 3: Podcast P dropped this nugget on the Hicks video breakdown. Liam Hicks swung and missed twelve pitches inside the strike zone for the Marlins this year. He hit fourteen home runs, so he had fewer swings and misses on pitches in the zone than he did home runs hit this season.
Speaker 4: That that's that blows my mind. What do say it again? Twelve in zone wis fourteen home runs? Like you already said it once, but I don't even think you put it in enough perspective. You got to say it again.
Speaker 3: Liam Hicks swung and missed within the strike zone twelve times as a Marlin this year. He hit fourteen home runs as a Marlin this year, Liam Hicks, I will tell you I will personally miss Liam Hicks. The guy like Hicks is a really good dude. Excited to see him thrive in Tampa, but of course excited about the prospect return coming back to Miami. I do want to keep on going with the Cubs here because Gosman wasn't the only move. There were two other moves here for pitching, and I want to kind of sandwich the Garrett one with Gosman on the front end and Holmes on the back end, because Braxton Garrett makes the move from the Marlins to the Cubs, and the return was Jonathan Long, a first baseman that has seemingly been blocked for a little bit. Jonathan Long and right hander Ja s Beck, they go back in return. Garrett's an interesting gamble because this is a command guy that is working his way back from Tommy John surgery, but he has been carving through triple A arm Layton, You've watched a lot of Braxton Garrett, and I know you've seen a decent bit of him this year as well. What do you make of Garrett and where he's at off of major elbow surgery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think you saw the Classics shake the rust off off of TJ. And when you're a pitch ability guy that really needs to execute. I think coming back off of TJ can be even tougher, and I think the Marlins kind of knew that and that's why they were, you know, him to take his time in Triple A. But I think you saw in Triple A he really did settle in and and have some positive stretches, but then you saw some blips where.
Speaker 2: The command wasn't there. I think it's a perfect swap.
Speaker 1: Cubs have a ton of bats at the upper miners, forty man guys potentially as well. Marlin's get a right handed bat that can help him on the big league level. But the Cubs get some solid pitching depth, and the guy with control that at worse is going to be a solid ending Zeter for you.
Speaker 3: I think, Wow, a couple things just came through from Jeff Passing of ESPN. The Cleveland Guardians are acquiring Nathaniel Lowe in a trade with the Cincinnati Reds. That's a really interesting fit, and they get an upgrade at first base. DH seemingly Reee Hoskins. It's just not cutting it anymore, so low effectively replaces Hoskins in that lineup. The other one that just came through the Marlins according to pass and acquiring Victor Vodnik from the Rockies for Connor Norby and right handed really or right handed prospect Aiden may So Norby and may go from the Marlins to the Rockies in exchange for Victor Vodnik, who has had an underwoman. You're eerra wise, but the stuff is incredibly loud, so pretty cool, and podcast P unbelievable turnaround time on those because those just came through forty five seconds ago. This guy's a freaking machine. I know he probably doesn't have time to pop in and make this a four man thing right now, but if you do, can we give you a round of applause to your face.
Speaker 4: No, he's not gone anywhere, you know when uh, you know in the social network where they got Mark Uh.
Speaker 2: He's plugging his mic and he's getting ready to go.
Speaker 4: Where you got Mark Zuckerberg like in the corner is like, oh no, he's plugged in. He's plugged in right now, Like, don't bother him. That's what podcast P is right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, so podcast p's working on that at the moment. The last cubs one that we want to talk about here. Actually, no, Peyton's popping in right now, so let's give him again a round of applause to his face and then he'll keep on cooking here. So Peyton, good job, dude.
Speaker 5: I'll accept the glades.
Speaker 3: Dude, is is this the most over stimulated you've been in like the last forty eight hours?
Speaker 6: I'd say the draft stream this year it's a camera kept cutting out. But yeah, I was cortisoled that time that day, but this one, you know, I'm more having fun this time.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 3: It is fun and it is like a whip around in every single sense of the word here, all right, So we just had those two come in. I do want to circle back again to the Cubs because we hit on Kevin Gosman, we hit on Braxton Garrett, and now I want to hit on two guys coming over the market for right handed bats was it seemed like buyers were clamoring for them, and the Cubs get a good one, and they also get a good starter who's working his way back on a rehab assignment. Clay Holmes started for Hia Brooklyn on rehab, working his way back from that leg fracture. So Holmes he started on Sunday, he gets traded from the Mets to the Chicago Cubs along with Tyrone Taylor. It's a two big leaguer for one prospect deal. Holmes and Tyrone Taylor from the Mets to the Cubs for an infield prospect Jefferson Rojas, who arm you were very very high on, then you were high on, and then you were like very high on, and now are you back to high on?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a very accurate to fiction.
Speaker 1: He's been a difficult player to assess in the regard of like how much I like him, But I've always liked him, and I still think he's a really good player.
Speaker 2: The question has been defensively.
Speaker 1: I think in the early going I said, okay, he's always been the youngest player or one of the youngest players, that he'd stop. Rojas like, uh, maybe the glove will come along. I think now you look at it and he's more likely a second or third basement But the bat is freaking awesome, So to get him, I think again another instance where the Mets had the package two players, but Rojas is probably the best player that they got at this deadline. Unless I'm forgetting somebody off the top borderline top one hundred prospects, good blend of hit and power, can run a little bit, and I think Rojas is going to be, you know, an above average infield bat for you, I think second base. But the fact that they can be versat will move over to third. Thought that was a good get for the match, which I didn't love their returns. I thought that was one of their better returns. But to get two pieces on the big league side, you know, for for the Cubs, like I think ultimately that that made it worth it.
Speaker 3: Hard to fathom. We just talked through the deadline, so you've got the deadline concluding a minute ago. A couple more are coming in here, and the Pirates are stocking up. Kirby Yates goes from the Angels to the Pirates. The other one just reported was Lake Baker goes from the Marlins to the Pirates. So the Pirates they add Camilo Dovall, Luke Weaver, Kirby Yates, and they add Lake Baker.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: Another one coming in at the last moment is Preller finally gets active. The Padres going to acquire Casey Mize from the Detroit Tigers. So Ma is one of the top rental arms that was left maz goes from the Tigers to the San Diego Padres. But again, the Pirates are bulking up on their relief arms.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: You've got Luke Weaver, You've got Camillo Dovall, You've got Lake Baker, and you've got Kirby Yates. Here. The Pirates had one glaring deficiency, folks, they could not get outs after the sixth inning, and now it seems like they're built to get outs after the sixth inning. Absolutely fascinating what Cherrington did. And Charrington, those are four solid relievers, Peter, I know you probably despise Doval for what he did over the last calendar year with the New York Yankees. There's a lot of talent in there, and you add those four guys to Gregor Risoto and to other guys that throw hard in that Pirate bullpen, all of a sudden, they're looking a heck of a lot better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just on the deval side. Like we talked about it yesterday, I think it was arm and eye and it was kind of like I was surprised that the Yankees got warm bodies for Camelo Dovall. But I also said at the same time, sometimes guys just don't work in New York. Still clearly talented. Now it doesn't help that in his first appearance for the Pittsburgh Pirates to give up a home run, but that you know, it's just happenstance, Like, I still think he has talent. He still throws gas, he still keeps the ball on the ground, and he does not do a good job of holding runners. So Nie Rodriguez back there, you're going to have your work cut out for you. But at the same time, they didn't only get Camillo Daval, right, I think you could make an argument that Camillo daval is the worst reliever that they got. They got arguably the best reliever traded at this deadline in Luke Weaver. That is a big get for the Pirates in GM Ben Charrington. And then you can continue to go down the line like Lake Baker. You guys would know more about him than I do. But from what I've watched, he looks like a pretty good reliever. Like he's not bad, he's not great, but he's a nice fill in for this Pirate's bullpen that just needs guys who can throw. And then Kirbyates has closing experience, and it hasn't been an entirely healthy season, but when Kirbyates has been on the mound, he's been really solid as well. All the Pirates are doing here is just raising the floor. And it's sometimes easy for a GM to address needs when they're so apparent, and the Pirates clearly needed to address the bullpen. So what does Ben Charrington do? Not one, not two, not three, not four? Actually yes, four four relievers. It feels like the Lebron James press conference with the heat where he goes not one two. But they got a bunch of relievers, and good for them. I'm rooting for them, and I think these are four good guts.
Speaker 3: What do you think arm.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's the best way for them to do it. I don't even think one big relief farm was gonna fix it for them.
Speaker 2: Might as well volume shoot.
Speaker 1: And I like about Bakers like he's really versatile and it's a guy that can go multi inning for you. He's been able to throw a little bit at leverage. I think several of these guys can kind of be in different roles and you can ride the hot hand for who you trust to close games. Out, which is probably always gonna be the best way for the pirates. So I love that they had an obvious issue and they addressed it with volume. And I can guarantee that their bullpen's going to be better than it was before. And that's all you can really ask.
Speaker 3: For, no doubt about that. We can go a whole bunch of different ways here because the trade deadline again, it officially concluded at six o'clock Eastern time at six oh five right now, but we still have things that are being reported at the very very at this very moment, Peter, hand up what you got.
Speaker 4: I just really want to talk about the Casey Mice deal that just came through, because we just we have a return. Yet we just got the return. Tigers get Cash Mayfield and Jackson Wolf. And I know Cash Mayfield is a big time prospect and at the end of the day, Casey Mice is a rental. So I wanted to throw it over to you or ar them to kind of break down that return because it feels steep to me. But at the same time, Casey mis has been a freaking dog this year, so I understand it from that sense. But and they also got gauge workmen in the deal too, so it wasn't solely Casey Mice, but for the Tigers to get a prospect of cash Mayfield's pedigree, I feel like that's really solid, is it not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not bad at all.
Speaker 1: I think this was one of those where you aren't going to have the volume maybe to match with like a couple of second tier type of prospects. You had to give up, you know, really one higher tier prospect. But I think Mayfield a guy that you look at the ceiling. I know he's the first round you know, had agree with him, but and he's six four to two hundred, you'd expect a little bit more in there, but he dealt with a little bit of a shoulder stuff last year. The vos back up a tad more, but he's still just averaging about ninety two. There's deception in there, and he can he can extend decently well. So I think he's able to outperform what you would maybe see on the surface with Mayfield in terms of the velocity. It's a it's a good change up and that's what stands out for me as well. It's a low release fastball, kind of carries a bit, but it's still most likely at back end of the rotation outlook, and so I think in that regard, Padre is knowing that they're not giving up a super super high ceiling, and Miz helps them a ton. Obviously this year it could be their best pitcher now very well, like if he's hot, could be the guy that you trust as much as anybody in that rotation. I think it's worth it, and I think this is one of those where it's a good get for the Tigers.
Speaker 2: It is probably the best individual player they could have got.
Speaker 1: Maybe they could have got more value with two other guys, but you add in a left handed pitcher here, that's a high probability, back end of the road guy. And I think for the Padres it's it's still worth it though, to be able to add mys and really go for it.
Speaker 3: I love it again. The MLB Trade Deadline live stream from US It Just Baseball is presented by goat Lab, goat dash Lab, Dot app Slash Just Baseball. Try and build a player that's better than Peters. He made an eighty six overall player, a couple of All Star games, no Hall of Fame arm and my player I think made seven hundred and fifty million dollars over the course of their career. Hall of Famer career three to eleven hitter with a nine to forty ozho ps and we racked it up. So you can try to beat us highly unlikely. You can try to beat Peter highly highly likely.
Speaker 4: We've got so yeah, sorry, real quick, you can scan the QR code that you see on the screen instead of just clicking that link or going to the app, like that's real easy there on the screen.
Speaker 2: And we're giving away prizes, and.
Speaker 4: We're giving away prizes. So the winner and we're going to track it during this entire stream gets a free Just Baseball T shirt and a free Just Baseball hat, and it's just fun, Like why wouldn't you want to get involved. It's a great game, So make sure to download using the QR code.
Speaker 3: I dig it all right. We can start to play catch up with some of these and Peyton, let me know if you have Foster Griffin and that return ready, because I find that one fascinating. But we are going to go right to the Taylor Ward deal because Seattle they started to get a little involved here. We saw late rumblings that Randy a Rose Arena could be open for business in terms of being acquired, but they hold onto Randy a Rose Arena. By reporting, it seems like Kirby and Hancock stay put. And they also add a righty bat, Taylor Ward, who's top five in Major League Baseball and on base percentage. They get Taylor Ward from Baltimore for three prospects. They are three right handed pitching prospects, Alex Hoppy, Harrison Criyling, and brock More. Hoppy is probably the biggest name of these three, are them? What say you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say so, just because he's like close to big league. I mean, he's big league.
Speaker 1: Rady has some experience, could jump in the bullpen if you could approve the command a little bit. But the walk rate's been a bit higher with cry Ling, Like the stuff is good, but this is a twenty four year old at you know, low A. It was a lighter return than I thought it would be, to be honest, and I know that it's a rental bath, and I think a lot of people are probably just a little bit worried that how Taylor Ward's has been more passive than anything and not slugging, but also just stuffy guys that are older I mean brock More as well, like super high strikeout rate this year between high A and double A, but has also battled some walk issues and is twenty six years old.
Speaker 2: But what we've seen with the Mariners is.
Speaker 1: They draft these kind of like like senior signs or grad students in the seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth round, don't give them huge bonuses and they end up just developing into decent pieces. So good on the on the Mariners to be able to like kind of maximize these guys and turn it into a solid bat to help them. But I think each of them have a chance to develop in a decent bullpen pieces. But I thought it was a light get honestly over for Taylor Ward.
Speaker 3: Ward had so much.
Speaker 4: To this offense Peter a Ton And it's kind of the same conversation that we've had with a few teams where just bring any good bat into the fold. But I especially like to fit here for Taylor Ward because he's seen a little bit of a power outage, and when I mean a little bit, I kind of mean a lot. Thirty six jacks last year, only seven this season. But at the same time, he's rocking the highest on base percentage of his career at three point eighty three. And what do the Mariners not lack homers their fourteenth and homers, it's not bad. They certainly lack guys who can get on base. They ring twenty fifth in OBP, twenty seventh in ops. Taylor Ward is going to provide what the Mariners need. Guys who can get on base. They got a couple big swingers. Just get on first base and we'll deal with it from there. You can play defense in right field as well, which has been kind of a tough area for the Mariners this season. Right They've kind of they've had Dominic Canzone, who, for lack of a better term, kind of has a noodlelarm out there on right field, definitely doesn't have the strongest arm. They've also had Luke Rayley out there on right field. They've kind of tried a different cast of characters. Now you just get Taylor Ward. He's gonna play right field, He's gonna get on base at a three eighty clip, and you hope that he can hit more home runs. And just like Arms said, didn't cost very much. This is a great trade for Seattle.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to take us over to Milwaukee, who bolsters up and they could have added a back end starter and another high leverage reliever. Dustin May and Jojo Romero. They make their way within the within the division, from Saint Louis to Milwaukee. So May and Jojo Romero go from the Cardinals to the Brewers for a couple of outfield prospects, Alexander Frias and Carson Ragsdale. Those of the two that go back. What you got.
Speaker 1: It's a graphic mistake, but it should be Josiah rag Sale.
Speaker 3: I believe Josiah Ragsdale, Yes, Josiah. I saw Carson Ragsdale earlier on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Let's see that might have been a Marsian. Ragsdale is the pitcher, Yeah, Josi's the outfielder. And uh, I assume we've seen a couple of names botched. I saw somebody do Griffin Foster. I think that might have been a prominent reporter mentioned Griffin.
Speaker 3: There you go, but there you go.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite trade because really what I like I like to see the Brewers going for it, and these are two guys that can absolutely help them. Heim Bloom maximize this return. I think this was a a really really good return for what they gave up. Brius is a borderline, I think, top one hundred type of candidate with what he's doing. If he could settle into low way a little bit more guy who like four forty the complex. He's long and lanky, but a good athlete already plus bat speed has flashed, you know, exciting eggs and velocities and again just tore through the complex league. And then Zia Ragsdale has just been a classic example of what the Brewers do. They get a good athlete, interesting player, they let him debut kind of see how he does. And Ragsdale just was was good, not great in his brief debut las year. I think overall you saw really good OBP skills, but just didn't really put much impact on the baseball. Subtle adjustments pushed his contact point out further in front this year and he cuts his groundball rate by twenty percent and he's launched now nineteen homers between high A and double as a guy with plus wheels, with now plus raw power that he's getting into in games. And that was a guy that was kind of an afterthought for you. He was a seventh round pick that you invested two hundred and thirty seven thousand dollars in last year, you immediately take and you level up because it's the frickin' Brewers and their development. Your pair of that with Freus, you know, an IFA guy, which they just do such a good job on that front.
Speaker 2: And that's the player that.
Speaker 1: I look at the ceiling here with Alexander Frius again, I think you could make a case for him being top one hundred caliber four forty one five eighteen six seventy eight slash line in thirty two Arizona Complex games as an eighteen year old, and he's already starting to settle in low A. I love the upside of Fries, I think for Dustin May and Jojo Romero and two rentals right like yes, I like itsuse.
Speaker 2: I think they koly have a plan.
Speaker 1: I think May is gonna be good with the Brewers and Romero helps for sure, But man, I think the upside of these two players, especially with Fries, is so exciting to add to this cardinal system for rentals.
Speaker 3: So I think Jojo Romero is one of the more underrated lefty relievers in baseball just because He's a ground ball gremlin. I mean, this guy he is. He's throwing bowling balls like it's up there with Farrer Farrera. Obviously there was one hundred versus Romero's ninety five, but Romero has been one of the more under the radar consistent lefty bullpen arms in Major League Baseball. So I love that Milwaukee went to go do this fortify the back end of their rotation at least for the regular season. In Dustin May, who's nasty and excited to see him get working in the brewer lab, and then Joe Joe Romeiro, I just think is another iron in the fire. And they have what is pretty damn close to a super penn at points with Ashby, with Patrick being able to go four innings out of the bullpen, and of course with mcgil and admir Yuribe on the back end, like they have a lot of good stuff cooking pitching wise. Do want to take us to the Mets? Oh wait, where did Fink go? Vink was hanging out here for a minute here, but he just disappeared. Huh Yeah, I think we were ready for the Mets.
Speaker 4: But oh well, yeah, we were talking about good trades, and he's like, I'm out of here. I haven't been involved in any good mets trades all day long, so I can understand why he might be upset so sad.
Speaker 3: All right, you know what, Fink's taking a nap. We are actually going to talk about a met here. I want to take us to WASCAR Braza Bond and.
Speaker 4: Let's wait for Fink just to come back, because I'm sure he will. And let's shout out h the goat Lab app again again. Remember use the promo the QR code on this stream right here to download the app. It's so much I'm telling.
Speaker 3: You, it's funny. I was going to pivot us to the White Sox conversation, but if Fink is coming back, then we can talk about the Mets. There were eight New York Mets that were traded over the course of the last month or so when you account for David Peterson. But there were seven New York Mets that were traded over the course of the last forty eight to seventy two hours. And Ryan Finkelstein has made his valiant return. He joins us now the seven New York Mets on top of David Peterson that have been dealt in the last seventy two hours. Clay Holmes and Tyrone and Taylor they go to the Chicago Cubs. Brooks Raley he was traded. Aj Minter was traded to Minnesota. Wastcar Braza Bond goes to the White Sox, Luke Weaver to the Pirates, Freddy Pearl to Tampa. Those are the seven guys, Ryan Finkelstein, we were forecasting a New York met fire sale. Did they do a good enough job? Yes? Or no? And what.
Speaker 7: I mean, look, I think based on the market that we've seen, Like I look at each trade and I don't think for most of them they did a bad job on the return. I'm glad they got Jefferson Rojas as the final move. That makes me feel a lot better because I wouldn't be surprised if he slots in as like the number one Mets prospect for a lot of people after this, so I know for a pipeline he already is that one.
Speaker 5: I think say things a little bit.
Speaker 7: The trade that I'm actually really frustrated with is the Luke Weaver deal.
Speaker 5: That one I think is absolutely brutal.
Speaker 2: Alone.
Speaker 7: Luke Weaver for samis de Ferrow one for one.
Speaker 2: I was okay with that.
Speaker 5: It fell a little bit light, but.
Speaker 7: The money that went the other way in the deal. You're telling me that the pirates are going to be paying Luke Weaver. Depends on who you ask, but I saw either five point four million dollars over the next year and a half or seven point five million dollars either way. To not do better when that is what Luke Weaver is costing financially is wild to me. So that's the one that I think they really missed On the other ones, I'm not really mad at most most of.
Speaker 5: These trades are rentals.
Speaker 7: So like, this is the one where I would have just kept Luke Weaver as my closer for next season and moved Devin Wins into the eighth inning right now and just said, yeah, we set a high price tag for Luke Weaver, nobody met it, and we're gonna hold on to them because we're trying to win next season. That's the one that frustrates me. Everything else, again, it's mostly rental trades. I'm not gonna get too mad about.
Speaker 1: That was the part I was and I know we talked about it briefly, think but it was like East four Us is a really good athlete and a guy that I didn't love early in Cincinnati, just because I thought the swing was just so raw. It's gotten a lot better, but there's still some major swing and misconcerns. I still have some questions about whether he's just gonna hit. But twitchy athlete, can play, a good shortstop, can run, and it's a high upside guy that I think you're excited to bring in a Northeast kid, which is fun as well. I think literally grew up a Mets fan, which is awesome, But when you're paying a really good reliever down, I just thought you'd get a little bit more than just Stefora, who still comes with some hit too risk.
Speaker 2: That said, we've talked about stra on the call up.
Speaker 1: We do our heat sheets, and like he's been the guy that's come up because he has been on some of the best stretches over the last month and a half of really any player in minor league baseball. So there's a chance that something is just really clicked for Stephora and he's he's just kicked it into another gear offensively, which.
Speaker 2: I think is the hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool. I do want to kind of pivot to the other side of some of these Mets deals.
Speaker 1: But shit, I'm sorry, I didn't realize it's fifteen homers by Stefhora in his last twenty games.
Speaker 3: Wow, there, don't think you might be getting a dog again.
Speaker 7: When I first saw the one for one, I honestly was happy with it.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a good trade.
Speaker 7: I was like, all right, well, at least you're you're getting off of even if the Mets ate all of Luke.
Speaker 5: Weaver's money for this season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you can reallocate twelve and a half million dollars, you can get a Luke Weaver comp in free agency. I just can't believe it that diar amount. They did do a little bit better, and that's the bigger thing for me. It's not even hating the prospect, it's hating the return. When you're selling a year and a half of Luke Weaver for seven and a half million dollars, and that's on the high end. It might be five point four. If Luke Weaver was a free agent off of this season, what's he getting three years forty million? Like for the Pirates to get a year and a half of Luke Weaver for seven and a half million dollars.
Speaker 5: That's insane.
Speaker 3: It is pretty insane. I think I think we can talk about some of the other team's impacts from some of these met deals, Like do you want to sit here and talk about Brooks Rayley's impact on the Philadelphia Phillies or do you not care at all?
Speaker 4: Start I really want to think to break down all of the players that he traded away.
Speaker 3: On you know what kind of arm of the White Sox getting in WASCAR. Brazubon man, let us know.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, that was another one.
Speaker 7: If there's another one that frustrates me, it's kind of the Brazubon trade because it's just so much control of a guy that I think is just going to throw that sinker for the next three years and just keep getting ounce. I mean, it's it's year after year. This guy's never had like a bad season. It's just he doesn't pitch and leverage, but he still is a multi inning guy for the White Sox team My pitch and leverage and he was nails in the World Baseball Classic too, So that was another one where I get that gave Davis is a nice lottery ticket for the Mets, But honestly, I would have just kept Rozabond in the bullpen for next season. So I feel like the Mets could have had an alternate path where they just traded the rentals, and I would have been actually a little more pleased with what they did this deadline.
Speaker 4: Would you think about the play Holmes deal, because I know we've already talked about that from the Cubs angle. I don't know arm kind of broke down the prospect package, but I'm just curious what you thought, because you know, Weaver, I guess was the biggest name move just because he's healthy. But if we're talking about true talent, probably the best player that left the Mets is Clay Holmes, Tyrone Taylor, and you get Jefferson Rojas. I know you kind of mentioned it off top, but anything else on that one.
Speaker 7: I think the two the best returns that the Mets got are actually homes in Peralta. I think I actually like the three prospects collectively over Stafora for the Parolta trade, especially when you factor in the extra year of control. But as far as the Clay Holmes trade, I mean, look again, Jefferson Rojas is the best prospect the Mets are getting at this deadline. They added a lot of depth to their system, Like you said, I think eleven prospects. They completely have a brand new infield in double A now because Mitch Voyd just got called up. Now you have Rojas that's going to be in double A. Billy Amikho came in the Mentor trade is in double A. I think there's one more than I mean forgetting about here. But regardless, I think Rojas is kind of the prize of this deadline for the Mets, and so that if they didn't get that piece, I'd feel a lot worse, Like that's the one guy that you know is going to be a top five Mets prospect according to everybody after this.
Speaker 3: It's not Bruin Agbayani. He's not the prize possession of the Met deadline.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I like the Mentor return more than the Raley return, So I will say that, like interesting, I thought it was going to be the other way around, But I did like the Mentor eternal or turn a little bit more. But again, like you can't really scrutinize rental trades.
Speaker 2: You just can't.
Speaker 5: Like it's yeah, especially in this market.
Speaker 4: It's tough.
Speaker 3: Hey, and let me build off Raleigh with you real quick, because Brooks Raley is a guy that can give you headaches, and Raleigh is a really interesting pickup for Philadelphia. I think they needed some bullpen help getting to Doran and getting to Kirkering and they got it here in a lefty and Brooks Raleigh. How sustainable do you think he is? Because I feel like you could look at the arsenal and look at the stuff and say he could get annihilated in October, but he's also just been doing it time and time again. And you're a guy that has sat here and watched every single one of Rayley's outings.
Speaker 7: Brooks Raley, I think, based on the sample and it might be like one hundred and fifty innings, he has like the second best era in Met's history for a reliever. That's how good he was across four seasons since Adison Reid and Brooks Raley. Brooks Raley didn't read how about that that was a great pickup man twenty fifteen deadline, But yeah, ten years ago, Yeah, you look.
Speaker 5: At what Brooks Railey is going to give them.
Speaker 7: It's just three consistent outs every time he said about that, like he's gonna go out there, he's gonna get his three outs, and a lot of times I might be on nine pitches and just get a couple of ground balls. And it's also I think a really nice piece to be able to go up against all these lefties, like in particular Brooks Rally is very familiar with pitching them Matt Olson, so you know, if that's kind of the matchup down the stretch for the Phillies or even you know, the Dodgers, Like he's he's good against lefties, good against righty's, and he's been pitching and leverage for most of his tenure with the Mets.
Speaker 5: So I really saw a pickup for the Phillies.
Speaker 3: Cool, you guys have any other met based questions for Fank or No? Are we gonna let him go wallow in sadness?
Speaker 4: No, I've predicted. I had three predictions for this trade deadline. Derek Scooba was preordained to the Dodgers hit. Yeah, the Atlanta Braves. We're gonna have the most disappointing deadline. I mean, I'm most disappointing, but it was certainly disappointing. One of them and then the Mets. We're gonna win the deadline because of how well David Stearns was going to perform selling assets. I thought he was in the perfect spot. I thought this is where you'll get the best of David Stearns, and they arguably lost it. So I'm gonna I went two for one or two for three. Not bad, right, think bad?
Speaker 5: Not bad?
Speaker 2: Serious question.
Speaker 1: I know you've got to do lockdown, Matt's How excited are you for the rest of the season now? Like are they for the young guys that are gonna come up?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: How do you? How do you dig in now?
Speaker 3: For the rest of the He's on Robert stock Watch every fifth day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 1: I actually got emotional seeing Robert Stocket emotional after that start. That guy's had a journey and had Jurassic outlet syndrome, like surgery like a few months ago. What the insane easy to root for that guy? But yeah, sorry, thank answer the question.
Speaker 7: I can't wait to see two more months of Luis Robert Jr.
Speaker 5: I can't wait for that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, why don't he get traded?
Speaker 7: I honestly think they just they're just literally there was no takers. I mean, you either could have eaten all the money and.
Speaker 5: Gotten a fly or prospect. You could have just tried to get out of his buyout for next year. Couldn't do that.
Speaker 7: But I am excited on the stretch because you know, I think Jonah Tong probably comes up and so I think they maybe go six man and so you're gonna get a start a week from Tong, Christian Scott, Noel McLain.
Speaker 5: And Zach Dordon. I think that's fun.
Speaker 7: They're also gonna throw a bunch of relievers that they're gonna be trying out for next season, like Jeffrey Yon is coming up around.
Speaker 2: That's that's the reason to watch alone.
Speaker 7: So you got that and then you get to to watch you and benjam McClain finished out the rookie season. So compared to twenty twenty three, there's a lot more to wash on the stretch than there was back then when the Mets had their last fire sale. And I'll be plugged into that new Binghamton Rumble Ponies infield too. That's that's where you got to focus the content. Now I'm a prospect show. Now all of a sudden rival college.
Speaker 4: I think before you go, have you played the goat lab app game? Because I'm looking at our comments right now, we've got a bunch of people beating me.
Speaker 3: This guy.
Speaker 4: Let me show this here for Matthew just got six D and twenty seven million dollar career earnings, Hall of Famer, seventeen time All star, Peter's bond knowledge. That's now good question. Go beat me. I'm telling you the winner gets a free hat and a free shirt from Just Baseball, and beyond just the prizes. It's going to be one of those games that you're always playing in your downtime. It's a really fun game. It's free. Remember to use the QR code. Think. I'm really excited to see what you get. Because Arma Jack, I've already played and beat the crap out of me. I don't think I've played it right. I gotta go back and play it again. And eighty six just isn't cutting it. I can't be soft side of the platoon, Paul Goldschmidt, that's my copy. It's not gonna work.
Speaker 5: Alright, guys, do that. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Think we're going to pivot the conversation here to the Chicago White Sox and I And by the way, we've got a whole bunch of scores here. I think I'm anonymous. I think that's my You are anonymous, Yeah, I'm anonymous? Who are you m Didn't you get the same score that I thought?
Speaker 2: I got a one o three? But maybe I lost by a decimal?
Speaker 4: There, shout out Tommy. You might win a free hat, a free shirt from Just Baseball. Remember, guys, once there's the QR code right there, use it, try and win. It's so much fun.
Speaker 3: There we go. I want to pivot the conversation here to the Chicago White Sox because the White Sox they bought to a certain extent here, and there were a couple of big deals that came in. The first one a few days ago was Louis Castile, obviously making the move from the Seattle Mariners of the Chicago White Sox. Luis Castillo goes to the White Sox for Sir Anthony Dominguez, Nolan Jones, and then a catching prospect Boston Smith, who they actually, funny enough acquired for Curtis Mead. The other two that jumped out here h Wascar Brasabon. We just mentioned, Brozabon adds to the White Sox bullpen here and he can be a consistent arm. Brazobon goes from the Mets of the White Sox for right hander Gabe Davis and right hander Zach Franklin. And then the other one is they go and get a center fielder here that it seems like has some untapped athleticism right now in Brenton Doyle. Brenton Doyle goes from the Colorado Rockies to the Chicago White Sox for right hitter Mason Adams and church stop Carlos Fioma. We've hit on Castile and Brazabon already. You guys hit on Castile on Sunday Night Show. Brozabon, we just hit on with Fink. But I want to pick your brain on Brenton Doyle because this is a really interesting get for not a lot as it pertains to prospect capital here. I think this is a fun flyer to take when they've been hunting outfielders for months at this point.
Speaker 1: Are Yeah, I think it was very clear for this team that like that they wanted to one try to get some controllable pieces. But I think more importantly like they weren't going to put all the chips forward, so it's gonna be more like Bilow strategic opportunities here. And I think they see a super talent at Brenton Doyle, where the defensive metrics are always gonna be a little bit shoddy, and in course, this guy's gonna go play an elite center field and I think we've seen that through stretches and getting get in to Chicago. Just getting out, of course is only going to help them in that regard. But what I really like is, and you alluded to this, you know before we started recording, is just that Derek Schouman's as good as they come when it comes to just just not only developing hitters, but guys that with and are trying to find it right Like we've seen so many of those guys in Miami before Showman was you know, poached over and brought over to Chicago to the South Side that made leaps and credit Showman. And I think this is a fun one because you don't need him to become Kyle Stowers, you don't need him to become Murakami. If Brenon Doyle is a ninety WRC plus, he's a two to three war player and he's an easy, great addition to the fold there. So I think it's just figuring out how to get him from not being one of the worst hitters in the game.
Speaker 2: And it should be all up from here.
Speaker 3: And the ninety WRC plus can show itself in twenty homers and twenty backs. That's the coolest thing about this, where it could be like low batting average, okay, whatever, and the k rate could still be there a little bit, But ninety wrs plus in a twenty twenty guy with elite defense in center. I'm signing up for that.
Speaker 1: And if it doesn't work, sorry, Peter, say it. If it doesn't work, like, who cares. You didn't give up much, And that was clearly that the prerogative for the White Sox was.
Speaker 2: We're not going to give up any of our top ten prospects.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I was going to say, Like, it's that fun flyer to make, and if it doesn't work out, you won't lose sleep over this deal at all.
Speaker 3: It's okay, you can cough if you want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't get it out of my road there.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We had some comments about and I realized that where the fuck are the Reds?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is it nothing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Did you guys see that that it was reported like thirty minutes before the deadline? Brady Singer's staying put. I was like, why, Yeah, what's purpose? And why did you declare it before the deadline ended? That? That made no sense to me. I feel like the Reds had an opportunity here to either buy kind of like the Blue Jays did, maybe for next year, or sell off expiring pieces, do something.
Speaker 3: So all they dealt was Nathaniel Lowe to Cleveland and Caleb Ferguson for international bonus pool money.
Speaker 4: They didn't even get it, that's it.
Speaker 2: And they got Juan Brito, who was DFA.
Speaker 3: They got the idrea about DFA.
Speaker 2: That's sad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got the idea of a person in international bonus pool money and they got a guy I got dfaied.
Speaker 1: Do you think they just spent their whole time workshopping Hunter Green, Mega Trades and not my home.
Speaker 4: They did nothing else. It's listening to our show and being like, wow, maybe that is a good Wow.
Speaker 1: Fifty to fifty chance Buster says, wow, that's good to hear.
Speaker 4: That they finally nailed it with their bottle and then they pitched it out. People were like, we don't want.
Speaker 3: To do that, and they're like, oh no, and it's so fo Yeah that would have been great four minutes ago.
Speaker 4: Four.
Speaker 2: So on a serious note, like.
Speaker 1: The Reds might need to be talked about as one of those teams like not operating, not really doing what they need to be doing.
Speaker 3: I will push back on that because they ace Chase Burns going number two overall when nobody's.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good. You took akakazoid.
Speaker 3: Sal Stewart looks like a nationally Rookie of the Year front runner. Yes, yeah, at least a superstar. But their margin moves are not good.
Speaker 1: Like process, like their process, their process.
Speaker 3: Might not be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I just don't I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean that Gavin looks for Mike Sirota trade might end up being like one of the worst trades that we've seen. And I don't mean to pile on them. What's the point, right.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm watching they're on like they were always kind of in like the middle, don't really pay attention to you tier you don't do anything great you don't do anything terrible, but like, I just think it's just running the.
Speaker 2: Mill front office. Starting to think of them is.
Speaker 1: Like a bottom tier operation there and I'm just just watching.
Speaker 2: Just wanted to put it out there.
Speaker 4: Did we miss any other trades? I feel like there definitely some trades that we have missed.
Speaker 3: Cool, Let's go, Let's go rapid fire. I've got a few more written down here. Again, Casey Mize was a buzzer beater for San Diego. Not only does San Diego ad Casey Mice, but they also had Robbie Ray from San Francisco. Robbie Ray has been throwing like one of the better arms in Major League Baseball. Of it last bit, Robbie Ray goes from San Francisco to San Diego for Miguel Mendez and Johnny L. Hernandez. Robbie Ray all of a sudden, combined with Michael King, combined with Casey Mice, give San Diego this rotation that isn't like you're trying to piece it together with Hermon Marquez, And as Bueler slides down to the four or five, you start to feel good about San Diego to the rest of the regular season.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, just real quick on this one. There's no more opener to Griffin Canning. There's no more Hermon Marquees. You're getting Robbie Ray and freaking Casey Mize right and they might not be like top end elite starting pitchers, but Casey mis has been pitching like it this year and Robbie Ray's putting up a really solid season two again, just raising the floor in the only area the Padres are really struggling at right now.
Speaker 3: And Peter, let me build off that real quick. They were already a couple games over five hundred when they were opening for Griffin Canning and running in from.
Speaker 4: Market right now, and like, if I'm a family.
Speaker 3: Dude, Merrill, Merrill's playing unbelievable ball right now. He's playing like that Rookie of the Year runner up Meryl At Tatisa's back, Machado is kind of like getting into the power surge. I think he's realizing that there are too many numbers out there and two zero five isn't going to cut it, but like, might as well hit thirty five bombs this year, So, uh, there's some good stuff going on.
Speaker 1: The Other thing with it is like Miz is a good option to potentially, you know, when he's on, he get pitch deeper into games and give the bullpen a little bit of a day off.
Speaker 2: Like Robbie Ray. You can five and dive them.
Speaker 1: All you need is a quality five from me each of your starters, and you're you're in the driver's seat.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The rest of the way, they kept all their relievers, so.
Speaker 3: I'm happy that they held it out. Yeah, I am over the moon happy that they held on to Mason Miller. I'm ecstatic they hung onto Morohone for their sake, Like Morohone is. I get it a rental, but Morohone to them means so much, and that super pen means so much. It's their ticket in over the final next two months or over the final two months. We've had four other I.
Speaker 4: Just quickly I got to disagree on that part. Not trading Adrian Morohone. You could have gave him to the Yankees for cash considerations. I don't know why the Padres didn't do me personally a favor by sending one of my favorite left handed relievers over to the Yankees. But seriously, I agree with everything that you said.
Speaker 1: I just had he was the guy I wanted so badly, and I thought they might because the Hall would be crazy. But it sounds like he might even just he might have just tipped his hand and said, like, I'll.
Speaker 4: Just resign with you.
Speaker 3: Gus.
Speaker 4: Did you see this sorse off between like Paymen and Nightingale and so.
Speaker 2: I love a good old source off.
Speaker 4: You know, it was back and forth about like did the Yankees or the Padres decline a Will Warren for Adri morrilone offer? And then Hayman the next day, when someone already said Nightingale's report was wrong, adds another prospect on top of it and said that the Padres declined. All of that was crazy, and ultimately we get absolutely.
Speaker 2: We get nothing.
Speaker 1: Quick shout on the return to Miguel Mendez throws fuel fuel fastbaverage is ninety seven to five. He's got a four Seemer and a two seamer Ray Yeah to going to San France and what you and the slider in the mid eighties is gross. And then Yanniel Hernandez is probably in a slightly barren system seventeen year old interesting upside in the DSL. So I again the giants, I thought that as well, as anybody in terms of maximizing their returns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real cool. We've got four other guys we got to go over here. One of them is Chris Bubich, who goes from the Royals to the La Dodgers. Here, Chris Boubich again, who has been hurt for quite a bit, goes in return for Carlos Durrant a right handed pitcher or what do you have on Carlos Doran Here.
Speaker 1: Carlos ran throws hard and that was a guy that I want to say got up for a cup of coffee, if I'm more correctly, And then it's just been now hanging out and it was last year. He has been hanging out in the PCL but spig swing and missed offf going to take a chance to see if the command can get any better.
Speaker 2: But command's consistently been a problem.
Speaker 1: And it just feels like low cost to acquire for a guy that's hurt and Bubach that's working his way back that you're hoping can just potentially just be available for the stretch run of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 4: I don't know why the Dodgers did this. Buobach is going to be a free agent at the end of the season. I mean, it didn't cost them much, but I just don't know if he's gonna return. He's still in the sixty day IL and he's dealing with not only an elbow injury but a shoal injury as well. I guess he started a throwing program in late July and is expected to pitch again this season. So maybe I'm wrong, but it just feels like a guy who hasn't really gotten going yet, maybe just in case, and they were like, we like him so much that we're just gonna take the chance if he is healthy, get him an hour program. So I think trading for Terrek Scoopl is fine ultimately, but I draw the line at getting Kris Kovich. I think now we're officially headed.
Speaker 5: To a lockout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair upside play. Just hope if he's healthy. If not, who cares you? Carlos Duryant, Yeah, that's one.
Speaker 3: Of the little swapperuni of Big leaguers. Here, Dalton Varshow goes from the Toronto Blue Jays to the Houston Astros. In return, Spencer Arraghetti goes from the Astros to the Blue Jays.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: Interesting one here, I dig the var show ad for Houston because they were running out Lucas Spence in center field. Houston needed a center fielder. They just needed another bat at the bottom or middle to bottom of that lineup. If Varshow is their six hitting center fielder with the chance for thump in a more hitter friendly ballpark, playing gold Glove caliber defense in center as well, just from like a range factor perspective, I think this is a fun yet for Houston, and I think Houston like they didn't need to do much to be buyers at the deadline. I thought Dana Brown actually did a good job like not blowing up the farm system. I thought Kevin Alvaros was moving, to be honest with you, like the way Houston was talking, I thought he was going to sell their top five prospects in hopes of keeping his job. But they're playing outstanding baseball right now, and they look like a team that can really win the AL West is currently constructed, and they get better in centerfield with Tulton Barshow.
Speaker 4: They're hot, and they needed anyone to play center field. And I like the swing for a guy like Dalton Varshow because we do know that when Varshow is right, he's one of the more dynamic players in all of Major League Baseball because he can really defend his position at center field. But he for the Blue Jays last year seventy games in the regular season swatted twenty homers. Like that's the type of power he can also bring. You could also be a menace on the baits pass. And I look at to just center field production for the Houston Astros this season, there's seventy two WRC plus in center field ranks twenty ninth. They have a clean zero point zero f war in centerfield again, which is one of the worst in baseball. So at the very worst, Dalton Varshow is just going to give you the exact production that you're used to, or he could be a lot better. And he also was a beast in the postseason two. So Jack, if they do win the West or they make a wildcut or anything like that, maybe you get a focus Dalton Varshow in the playoffs. That could be a big time hitter for you. And all it really costs is Spencer Arraghedtty. And it just feels like the Astros have kind of been up and down with Araghetty and Ragedtty himself has been kind of up and down. You see the stuff, right, the strikeout rate is always really high, but then he has some games where he just gets pelted. He has no idea where the baseball is going. And I think they were just like, you know what, it feels like, it's not going to work here, Let's capitalize. Let's address a position and need, and that is center field. So I think it was ultimately a good move on both sides. Like I think the Blue Jays netting Aarraghetti, there's still clear potential in that arm. It's one of those where we'll see what happens. It's really tough to declare a winner right now because both of them need to bounce back, and I don't know who's going to bounce back, but at least for the Astros, you can't get any worse in centerfield.
Speaker 3: Correct, Alright, You got any other thoughts on Araghedty or Varsha.
Speaker 1: Now, I think was Nesky coming back made Araghetty maybe a little bit more expendable as well. It's just kind of like that last rotation spot. And yeah, now Carlos Carrea is not rolling out potentially trying to return by the end of the year, so maybe that can help them down the stretch. I think the Astros were swinging a little bit bigger, trying to find a bigger bat, but asking prices. We're tall, and I was surprised similarly, Jack, that they had the discipline to not overpay for a team that like, yeah, you just should add, but I don't think you should do anything crazy here, as you're just starting to rebuild that farm back up and may have a turnover in the front office.
Speaker 4: Real quick, Jack, before we move on to the next trade, I really want to answer this comment because we didn't touch on the Foster Griffin return. We just got all hyped up for the Guardians to the fact that they got Foster Griffin and then we found out about the return later. So this comes to us from l Walt to seven in our YouTube live. First of all, thank you to everybody joining. Got a bunch of people in here. The best way to sport if you've been enjoying the stream, just smash the like button and subscribe button. And also another good reason to subscribe. We have so much great stuff planned on this deadline moving forward. This will not be the last deadline episode you hear from us, and we got a lot of great guests planned this week as well to break down the deadline. So again this comment see a lot of PEO people hating on the Foster Griffin return. I don't understand why the Nats committed to a quantity over quality approach to fix their lack of arms in the system and they only, at the end of the day get two months of Foster Griffin podcast B. I don't know if you have it readily available, but I would love to hear both you and Arm's opinion on this return.
Speaker 3: So the return real quick is three pictures in an outfielder. The three pictures will Dion, Josh Hartele, and Ken Deglees Verguez I think, and then outfielder Nick Mitchell is going back as well. Dion and Hardle are the guys that I think there's a lot known about those two. Dion is an upper miners guy, and then Josh Hardle former Wake Forest guy who was a pirate if I'm not mistaken, yep, and it is way there in the Horwitz deal with Louis Ortiz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that three team deal and then dealt again.
Speaker 1: Hardle is kind of a funky left he that I think could end just being a back end of the rotation ending Zeter, He's continued to be effective at double A.
Speaker 2: So I think that's a decent get.
Speaker 1: And then I think we were seeing the Nats just continue to pursue these like high octane stuff relief types, and like that's what they get with Virguez.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's got a lively fastball.
Speaker 1: It's ninety eight miles an hour from a really low release, like a four to nine release, which is crazy. It's like almost a foot below league average from that velocity.
Speaker 2: That's super rare.
Speaker 1: Like if you do a query of how many fastballs are going ninety seven plus miles per hour from a sub five.
Speaker 2: Foot release, I don't think you're gonna find maybe any.
Speaker 1: So that's a really unique reliever there with this crazy cutter off of that. So I think that's a guy that you look at potentially could fast track to a big league relief opportunity. There you get the high floor left hander. Mitchell's kind of just a throw in. But I think overall, like people may be expecting a little bit more for you know, a bigger ticket arm, But I agree with with the original sentiment, which is they want more volume and you get a couple guys that I think are high probability big leaguers in different ways, and even like a Will Dion, I think there's just so some intrigue there as well. I don't I don't hate it at all. You could have maybe got one higher impact player. But again, I think the Nationals are looking at relief arms and you know, closer to big league ready arms that can help them sooner rather than later. Dion's good depth and then high octane potential reliever. And I want to make sure, I said Verguez, So.
Speaker 4: You don't think the Nats should be disappointed in this return?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's at the end of the day, it's a rental pitch ability Lefty that he's been really really good. But I think it was the quantity over quality as that was alluded to, and I think that's kind of been the Tiboni approach in general with most of the trades that they've made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we've got two more deals off the top of our head. By the way, how about a minor leaguer for minor leaguer swap here Seth Johnson for Colby Thomas. Seth Johnson goes from the Phillies to the A for outfield er Colby Thomas. Thomas has some big league runs, Seth Johnson has some big league run as well out of the Philly bullpen. So Thomas is added to the Phillies, and Jason Stark also mentions Philly was looking for another reliever or starter but ran out of time. I wonder what that means. I wonder how big a fish they were looking to land. Philadelphia could probably use one more starting pitcher here. But been a very fun to watch how Philly is operated at the deadline so far, and it was I think more subdued than a lot of people were anticipating. But they go and get a rise, and they go and get Rayley, and here they had Colby Thomas as a bench outfield bat which they could certainly utilize.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's just good depth right handed athlete.
Speaker 1: I've always been a little bit, well, we're on him, but the guy's mashed in the upper miners, and you just added a guy that can play all three outfield spots and give you some depth. And I think any arm that they could possibly get for Sacramento and for the.
Speaker 3: Fox work, yeah, Hey, like I guess The question is do you want Colby Thomas or Brian de Lacruz, Derek Hill, Gabriel Ringconis Junior? And I think the answer right now is Colby Thomas.
Speaker 2: It might be it might be Thomas, Brian de la Cruz kind of raking, right.
Speaker 4: He's been raking for eleven It's it's funny when you were listing off those dames, Jack, I'm like, hey, those are some of the best hitters in the Phillies lineup right now with Derek.
Speaker 3: Hill, not Ringconis. Ringcon has hit a home run and then he just went dormant.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you brought him up, not Ringcotis. I think it's Colby Thomas or Ringconas, And I would choose almost anybody else except Riingcotas right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, uh, two more trades that we want to get to here. Number one is Joe Adell. Joe Adell goes from the Angels to the Cleveland Guardians and this is part of the Guardian by the Guardians again. They go and get Nathaniel Lowe, they go and get Foster Griffin, and they also add Joe Adele. Adele has obviously experienced a bit of a downturn from what he was doing last year, but he does still have sixteen home runs this year. I saw a note he would be leading the Marl or the Guardian lineup here in terms of home runs, and Joe Adell is a very, very athletic dude that just adds an element of pop to this Guardian lineup. I thought Chris Antonetti and the Guardians did a pretty good job here today at this deadline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the only thing about Joe Adell is that he's the most anti Guardians player I've ever seen. Is he not like a guy who has nice play discipline, takes good abs, does a job, you know, normally pretty good defensively. And I feel like Joe Adell is kind of just built on his tools. There's a lot of swing and miss in his game. He's walking only three point five percent of the time. That might be the lowest in all of Major League Baseball. But at the same time, haven't we kind of been waiting for the Guardians to take a swing on a player like Joe Adell with a ton of tools and maybe they could teach him the guard Ball way. Imagine the Joe Adell tools combined with guarda that could be a Hall of Famer. Obviously it's going a little bit too far, but I when it first came in, I was like, what, that's the least Guardians player I could have imagined, which almost makes it a Guardian's move. At the same time, do you understand the Galaxy brain I'm going through your arm?
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's an even more surface level, straightforward explanation, which is threeho three three thirty eight, five seventy one against left handed pitching for.
Speaker 2: A nine to ten ops. And that's the Guardians sorely, sorely needed.
Speaker 1: I also do to your point on that, though, Peter, they have been trying to buck the typical trend, like they went Super Power with Heavy on some of the last drafts.
Speaker 2: They they probably want to balance things out.
Speaker 1: But you bring in a Dell, which, by the way, and I know we already talked about better process now for the interest they should have traded them last year.
Speaker 2: Imagine how much more they would have got.
Speaker 1: But you bring in a guy that can absolutely demolish the short side the platoon for you here, and I think that's extremely valuable for the Guards, and you get another year of control after this one. So I think with how good he's been against left handed pitching, Joe is ten homers and one hundred and thirty plate appearances against left he's compared to six homers and three hundred and twenty six played appearances against righty's. It's a stark, stark difference. But yeah, if he could hone it on the play discipline, of course, that would that would help him make a difference. Cozar going the other way, like some catching depth in the organization, high probability big leaguer, with how the glove has continued to come along, took a step forward with the bat as well.
Speaker 2: I don't think anything super crazy to me.
Speaker 1: He's kind of in between that backup catcher and starting catcher mold so it's kind of like a second division dealer. But those guys are still i mean, high probability, filling a role, not a bad get in return for the Angels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am curious to see how they kind of handle the catching situation moving forward, and I guess Pat Bailey's the answer here, and Hedges has been way better. But you know, trading bow Naylor and that Yoho and Blake Perkins deal and then also trading catching Prospect and Cozart as well. I'm curious if they're pushing all the chips in sorry on uh yeah, thank you. I'm curious if they are pushing all the chips in on Patrick Bailey being kind of their everyday catcher moving forward, because hedges he's probably going to hang it up at some point soon, you would have to think.
Speaker 2: So now I think he's just hitting his prime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's raking offensively. He's hitting his prime. But he's got to be a DH and is good enough to be a DH.
Speaker 4: Before before we move on to the next trade, I want to shout out this comment. Thank you so much for the donation from or Force zero zero just getting off work, excited to catch up on all the trades and hear all the discussion. You guys rock. Thank you so much for that incredibly nice donation and for the comment, and again thank you to everybody joining us here live on YouTube. We're going to go for probably about ten more minutes cover the rest of the trades, and then we are going to continue to do episodes. So this is far from the last time you're going to be hearing our opinions on these trades. It's more just we're going over instant reactions, so make sure to subscribe and like on YouTube and for those listening on audio afterwards, best way to support five star review.
Speaker 3: Last trade that we want to bring up here, and then I think our next episode that we should do on the Just Baseball Show is Deadline Winners, and then the next one after that would probably be Deadline Losers. Just kind of let the cake bake a little bit longer. But yeah, but we do have one more trade, and the Cubs go and acquire a back end reliever that has been a strikeout machine as of late. Ryan Zephyrjon goes from the Angels to the Cubs. Moyses Biasteros, how about this fall from grace? Bias Steros goes from the Cubs to the Angels along with Mason maguire for Ryan Zephyr John a guy who is walking the world, mind you, But Moe Baller has seen his value evaporate, it seems over the last three hundred and sixty five days. And Bias Steraros had himself a heck of a start to this season as well. He was looking like a masher. Are them? What happened to bias Steros's value?
Speaker 1: So this was an argument I've had so many times with the Cubs fans when we were a little bit later to put him into the top one hundred. And this is the risk, This is the conundrum of the that first short catcher that is not very good defensively and I thought it was like a forty great at best defensively. Is if Bias Saros does not rake like absolutely rake or make a mega leap defensively, there's not a lot of fallback options here. And that's always always looking at with prospects. It's like you have the high end outcome, but like, what's the secondary outcome or the tertiary outcome. It still could be a big league role for Biasteros, it was kind of above average big league bat or nothing. And with him like and it's hit over power, there's a lot of pressure in different ways. And once it became more clear that he just wasn't going to be able to provide I think even serviceable defense. He's too short to play first. So now you have a DH. If you're a DH, you've got to put up a one thirty WRC plus or it ain't gonna be worth it, or you've got to be catching once or twice a week and being there, and I think that was the problem. What I can't answer is what has gone on with Biasteros this year, Where a guy that is one of the more hitterish players I've seen in a long time, and why he was still you know, that borderline top one hundred and eventually top one hundred guy has just lost his power. His game power has just been gone six seventy seven oh ps. I think this year he's just blatantly struggling. I don't know if there's something going on health wise or whatever, but I haven't really seen a hitter of that ability regress to the degree that he has.
Speaker 2: That said, in a relief deal.
Speaker 1: When the Angels are in the business of adding just any big leager as they can, I still think this is.
Speaker 2: A big league bat Biasteros.
Speaker 1: And whether it's a vogel Bach type of bat or you know, a guy that can actually be an above average, you know, dh offensive piece that can maybe catch once or twice a week is to be determined. But for a reliever, I think it's a good shot to take. For still a twenty two year old guy who's Kobe just had.
Speaker 2: A lost season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got a couple of comments here that are asking for certain ross turns that we didn't really get to dive into here. First one is Jeff Hoffman that we want to get into and thank you very much for the donation as well Jeff Hoffman. Again, he goes from Toronto to Minnesota and the return from Jeff Hoffman or the return from Minnesota to Toronto for Jeff Hoffman left handed Dason Hill, right hander John Klein, and a Maori Pania as well.
Speaker 2: So is Dason Hill.
Speaker 3: Who else John Klein and Damari Panya. Dason Hill is kind of crazy, yeah, real.
Speaker 4: Quick, though, Jeff Hoffman has been one of the best relievers in baseball ever since he was one of the worst relievers in baseball. We remember, excuse me, Jeff Hoffman started off the season really poor yet an Era at five and Blue Jays fans were just so sick of them, and then really, from June on, this guy has been otherworldly dominant. I just saw the other day that he gave up his first earned run over his last fifteen or so appearances on the So while I'm interested to hear about the package, Jeff Hoffman is a great get for the Twins when their biggest need is bullpen help, and this is a great ad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean the stuff and the ceiling and the impact that he can have is huge and for team, as you mentioned, sorely needed it.
Speaker 2: But Hill is a guy that upsidewise excited.
Speaker 1: They're just kind of surprised to see moved and excited because Johnny King really fun, stuffy, left handed pitching prospect that is awesome in the j system, and Hill is kind of in the same breath. King has made more progress to throw more strikes and I'm excited to see if Hill can now do that in the Jays organization as well, because we're talking about a six foot five, long, lanky like slender lefty that averages ninety six with the fastball and then has a trio breaking ball is working off of it a change up as well. The stuff, I mean it is big league middle rotation stuff. It's just been a real challenge for him to throw strikes and you can walk up to like six per nine. So if Hill at twenty years old, can find a little bit more consistency, I mean, the ceiling is sky high.
Speaker 2: You have the fallback though with Hill of a leverage you know, left handed relief arm.
Speaker 1: But when you've got the trio of breaking balls, a four seemer and a change up from a six to five lefty, I'm going to give this guy as much runway to try to start as possible, huge high ceiling, you know, piece to be able to add cope.
Speaker 3: I dig it, all right, I think we're good on these. Oh the other return that we were asked about was possibly touching on the Lars Neotbar return. Did you see who newt bar?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think it was Daniel Egan was one of the one of the players moved.
Speaker 2: There is he really?
Speaker 3: And Egan of Severance?
Speaker 2: I miss Severance? Great show, correct, I heard?
Speaker 4: I think Ben Stiller they're filming again. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: That is Yeah, Thank goodness. That's one of those that I'm actually I count the days for.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Egan's one of those. We got to ignore the surface level numbers.
Speaker 1: Because he has thrown Amarillo, which is the PCL essentially, even though it's double A, it's like the same drill. There high probability back into the rotation type of starter six' four two and ten, pounds sturdy build like fastball is a little bit of the concern there where it's very, stock BUT i love all the. Secondaries you've got a cutter to, bridge a gyro, slider and then a downer curveball off of. That he can really spin the, baseball and he still continues with a change up here and. There BUT i love the trio OF i guess it's two breaking balls and the cutter off of it THAT i think gives him a great chance to be a back end of the rotation type of innings.
Speaker 2: Eater SO i thought that wasn't a bad. Get just get him off.
Speaker 1: Of the moon, there AND i think the numbers are going to be a lot better in The cardinals. System so not bad For, newbaar who at the end of the day like it hasn't been great. OFFENSE i love the get for The dbacks to just upgrade that, offense but you aren't going to get a crazy haul for.
Speaker 3: Him let's tie a bo on this program here by naming our knee jerk winners and losers at this. Deadline, here give me one trade deadline winner and one trade deadline. Loser but before we give you, that we do want to shout out our friends At Goat lab one more, time who just presented THIS mlb trade deadline live stream. Again go to goat dash, lab dot app Slash Just baseball to play. It it is an addicting. Game you can play it every single day and you can try and Beat peter's absolutely abysmal eighty six overall.
Speaker 4: Player i'm gonna get back. Off i'm going to get back all that app And i'm Gonna i'm gonna do better this, TIME i. Promise but again The winner podcast p if you have, it you can throw up the leaderboard as. Well we're gonna give out a FREE t shirt and a Free Just baseball, hat and we still got a little bit of time if you want to scan THAT qr code that was just on the screen.
Speaker 3: Pod now that that was a what's it, called like a subliminal message when you flash something very very. Quickly peyton flashed that real quick Because Trek scooble did just meet with The dodger media for the first. Time Kyle. Martinez Congratulations, martinez look at.
Speaker 4: You you're gonna get a Free Just baseball hat and a FREE t. Shirt Congratulations. Kyle great. Stuff and we've got a lot of people playing the. Game already and. Deservedly so this app is. Awesome make sure you go download.
Speaker 3: It i'll settle for sixth. Anonymous that was. Me peyton flashed that schoobl quote Because Tarrek scooble did just meet WITH la media for the first. Time trek School bol says, quote every team could trade for. ME i don't sympathize with people that blame The dodgers for anything they've. Done it's a winning. ORG i really don't sympathize with people that are complaining because The dodgers do all the right. Things that is For Jesse rodgers OF espn.
Speaker 2: Nicely, YEAH i think it's saying the lines for.
Speaker 1: Sure and, ALSO i mean those are like THE mlbpa lines, too, Right it's always gonna be everyone can do what The dodgers, do do what The dodgers.
Speaker 2: Do SO i get. It but that is an interesting. Quote. Comfortable it's definitely not gonna upset everybody else at.
Speaker 3: All, yeah arm late and give me one knee jerk winner and one knee jerk. Loser and, again our next Two Just baseball shows are going to be about trade deadline winners and.
Speaker 1: Losers, honestly just the prospect heading me is still so obsessed with The Alexander friez And Josiah ragsdale in Their division trade there For hein And, BLOOM i just get.
Speaker 2: PAST i can't get past that. One in terms of.
Speaker 1: The trade in a, VACUUM i still think that is my favorite, trade as crazy as that. Sounds but like knee jerk, WINNER i feel really good about what The cubs. DID i feel we've been asking The cubs to do a lot and they kind of volume shot this thing and it did a.
Speaker 2: Lot SO i am really happy with how.
Speaker 1: Much The cubs, have like how much The cubs did to bolster in several different areas to make their team better.
Speaker 2: HERE i think it's hard not to be excited about.
Speaker 4: That Cool, peter he did a. Winner i'll do a, loser a team we haven't talked about at, all WHICH i think is why they're a. Loser The rangers whole deadline and confused. Me, yeah because, originally like three days, ago before This astro, series they were leading the division and it seemed like they were going to. Buy AND i even came on the show AND i, said The rangers are typically aggressive during this type of. Period it's like don't sleep on. Them don't sleep on The. Rangers and then they get belt to ass from The astros and then it starts coming out that they might sell or they might can you guys still hear? ME i know my? Okay so you can sell him?
Speaker 3: Her, yeah mean you got the bubble thumbs up and you, froze but just keep.
Speaker 4: Talking but it's exactly what The rangers did at the. Deadline they froze because they came out and, said we're actually going to start listening on other like on A jacob De gram on somebody. ELSE i don't know why it's, frozen BUT i want to stay on this point BECAUSE i think it's. IMPORTANT i don't understand why The rangers kind of wanted to sell and they were, listening then didn't actually sell anyone outside Of Josh, smith and then didn't buy, either and they just stood pat for a team that could have used an injection of life. Here and this is again the Return Josh, Smith Josh Stephen Adam. MACO i, mean that's a pretty lame. Deadline and of course maybe my computer took all that it could AND i froze out. TOO i don't know, why but, yeah not a great deadline for The rangers at.
Speaker 3: ALL i will send us out on a happy. Note i've got two winners THAT i want to highlight. Here number one is The White. SOX i think The White sox got better in three. Phases going to Get Louis castillo was pretty. Fun going to Get Wascar brazobon was pretty, fun and then as, well going to Get Brenton doyle is an interesting lottery. Ticket But castillo a guy that you guys hit on obviously On sunday. Night, CASTILLO i don't want to say is a sleeping giant because he's not The Louis castill that he was two three years. Ago but this, guy year in and year, out has been one of the more consistent starting pitchers in, baseball. Honestly And castillo getting out of The Sir Anthony dominguez, contract That dominguez deal doesn't look that good. Anymore and then also going to Get Boston, smith who was very impressive in the minor. Leagues you know it was it was kind of a steep price to pay For. Seattle but at the end of the, day Thought Luis castile was a good pickup for The White sox along With brazabon along With doyle and then the other. One the pirates needed to effectively build a bullpen from. Scratch and the pirates built a bullpen from, scratch and they go and Get, dovall they go and Get, weaver they go and Get boker And i'm missing one, More Kirby. Yates that's a hell of a build a bullpen from scratch.
Speaker 4: Job in one.
Speaker 3: Totally so that's what we, got. Folks, again thank you so much for joining OUR mlb trade deadline stream presented by Goat. Lab huge congrats to our winner and uh we will do winners and losers here coming up over the next few. Days good playing a content on The Just Baseball show on the call up. Again if you liked our, stuff be sure to subscribe on. YouTube if you're watching on, YouTube be sure to give us a follow on. X what an amazing job from our social, team our graphics team. Today it was a, crazy crazy deadline and there's no other way we'd have, it so really appreciate all of it either a, YouTube any final, Thoughts he was thinking To Peyton genus as, Well, peyton you superstar as always, BEAST.
Speaker 4: I was just about to. SPACE i was just about to say special shout out To. Peyton he was saying that he was loading up so many things at Street yard he ran out of. Room did such a good job producing the, show and special shout out to the, audience like this was. Awesome this was such a fun deadline AND i hope you enjoyed because you guys heard those rumors we might not get a great. Deadline we got a great. DEADLINE i, mean there was some massive trades, made there was some smaller trades, made there was some interesting prospect. Returns we got it all, here and that's all we. Wanted that's all we wanted was a great, deadline AND i feel like we got it so. All i'll lead us out For Jackie bowling for Arm late and we'll be back. Tomorrow we will be Back, Wednesday, thursday And friday again one thirty Pm eastern here live on. YouTube make sure to. Subscribe thank you everybody, listening and with, that thank you