Speaker 1: It's up Faithball. Welcome back to the forty nine Ers First and Ten Podcast, presented by Cisco. The twenty twenty five NFL Draft just wrapped up. The forty nine Ers used all eleven picks, and we're recording live from Levi Stadium and the SAP Performance Facility. I'm your host, Brian McDonald. I'm with forty nine Ers team reporter Lindsay Polaris and special guest Haste. How do you guys feel about this year's draft class?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we were wrong and we got a good trade up, trade down, or remember all these different predictions we had, but it turned out to be a draft where the forty nine Ers were able to get a lot of players that filled those positions of needs. So I think overall a very successful draft class for San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's first initial thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. I actually liked the draft how it went down. Obviously, like Lindsay was saying, we were talking about trading down in that medicals, they didn't do that. They kept all the original picks. But even even Kyle Shanahan say at the press conference on the last day, on the third day that they needed all of these Peaks to fill in for all the wholesday the team.
Speaker 1: Had exactly so on Friday, Mikel Williams, the forty nine ers first pick in this year's class, came into forty nine Ers HQ. What did you guys learn from him? What did you guys have to see from him in his first day on campus?
Speaker 2: I think, just very enthusiastic to be here, to meet all the coaching staff, a few of the players that are here obviously for the voluntary offseason workout programs. Overall, such a positive look on coming to the Bay Area. He said he's familiar more so with southern California because he does some of his off season training there. I think some of the fun tidbits we picked up from the one on one his mom was an Olympic volleyball player, so and then he said both of his parents played collegiate sports, so that athletic DNA these are family trades. So very excited to learn about him, and that it was actually wrestling WWE in particular, there was the reason he even started playing football, So I really appreciated that.
Speaker 1: Awesome is you also had a sit down with him, You got to talk to him. What did you learn about him.
Speaker 3: He's a really nice guy. Yeah, he asked him a couple of questions. He's very excited about meeting Nick Bosa. He even say it. He told me that, and also during his press conference he said, I want to learn everything. I want to know how he thinks. That's what he mentioned. And I also ask him about Ten Williams because actually Ten Williams on the other side of the ball, you know, can give him a few teams, you know, because obviously Ten Williams has faced over his successful career, has faced a great pass rusher, so he can give him a few tips. And he said, oh, yeah, definitely. I want to meet Trent too, So yeah, pretty nice.
Speaker 1: Guy, absolutely the best in the game to learn from. And that was just the beginning today to moving on. There was three more picks in the draft. Defensive lineman Alfred Collins out of Texas, defensive lineman Nick Martin out of Oklahoma State, and cornerback up In Stout from Western Kentucky. Lindsay, you also got to talk to them right after they got picked. What was their excitement like getting picked in Day two of the draft, and what did you learn from those three?
Speaker 2: I think from a lot of the prospects turned draft picks. Now, there was at least some contact with the forty nine ers throughout the pre draft process, so perhaps they didn't know they were getting drafted by the Niners, but they have had positive conversations, all of them very excited across the board. I really really enjoyed my conversation with Alfred Collins because I asked him, you know, what do the faithful need to know about you? And he said, very very short and sweet, the run will be stopped. And I know that that is definitely going to bring a smile to both head coach Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch's face is because that is really the number one reason that he was brought here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like the theme of the draft at the very beginning was defense, all defense. Robert Sola was definitely cooking in that war room. What did you learn from those three on Day two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely that they wanted to fill in some holes in the differensive lines, so they did that with Alfred Collins obviously, MIKEL Williams on the on the edge, and then C. J. West. So yeah, definitely really good defensive linemen and very big. So so what I'm the way I'm looking at it is that they have their constructing like the team in the front, they want to be big, strong, fast, physical, sort of like they were in twenty nineteen obviously when when Robert Sala was here. Remember we had the Forest Parkner, Arik Arms, the big guys in the in the on the trenches, and obviously Bosa and the four on the on the outside. So I think they want to kind of have that type of difference now with the characteristics of these players, because in the back end you look at the linebackers they chose and Nick Martin, then not the safeties. They're like they're short but really quick. They're not like the biggest guys. But I remember, like even they mentioned that they want to focus like on speed to stop the run. And those guys that they chose, like a Nick Martin, he reminds me like a Malik Mustafa. He just goes like a and makes the tackle. So so I really like the way that they're constructing the defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the forty nine ers brass has done this before and they know that it works. Now. On day three, they got busy. There was quite a few picks I'll run down the list right now. Defensive lineman CJ. West, wide receiver Jordan Watkins, running back Jordan James, safety Marquise Siegel, quarterback Curtis Rourke, offensive lineman Connor Colby, wide receiver Junior Bergen. And so I want to know what stands out to you about this Day three haul. Definitely a lot of guys on the list, but what stands out to you?
Speaker 2: You know, I think, like you said, long list, I wanted to call out that CJ. West in particular when you talk about him joining forces with Alfred Collins. You've got two three hundred pound plus guys up in the middle who are natural bread run stoppers, right, And it's exactly what you said, you want to really bolster that defensive line. I think you see the Robert solid touch on the draft picks, especially with those five picks of the draft all being defensive players. I think. Also, let's talk Marquis Siegel. I think one of the best things he said is that he can play all four positions in the secondary. He said versatility and then also like you mentioned, his new speed are things that he really felt were important to highlight. And he was just said I'm ready to do whatever this team needs me to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's used a lot of names to study, but what stood out to you on Day three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely a guy like like Siegel with like Lizzie was saying, with his versatility is going to be very important because remember Upton Stout, he's also like a nickel corner. So Siegel gives you that versatility you want to play at safety or in casee you need a Matt Nickel. So that means like there's a higher chance now for Dianador Lenore to just focus totally on being an outside corner because we know he can do. Yeah, he's the best actually involve nickel and outside. But I think if either like maybe Sieagel or Stout date that nickel cornerback, that's going to benefit Leonor and the whole forty nine Ers defense in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the faithful felt at this year the theme of the draft was definitely defense, but Lindsay there were also four offensive players chosen. Whatston that's you about those four on the other side of the ball.
Speaker 2: I actually want to call out the final pick for the forty nine Ers, which came at the back end of that seventh round and Dus and I were talking about it, but it was wide receiver Junior Bergen out of Montana. He's a Billings native. And while he is a wide receiver and we're looking forward to seeing him in that room, he really had that edge because of special teams. And John Lynch said it to me in the one on one we had to wrap up Day three, is that the special teams coaches were very much heard on this pick. He has a lot of experience at pont returner. I believe in college return eight punts for a touchdown. They're looking to use that special team's experience, especially with the new NFL rule with the touchback now going back to the thirty five yard line. So I think that skill set's going to be really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Any standouts from the offensive side of the ball and this year's.
Speaker 3: Draft, Yeah, I also like a lot Jordan Watkins the wide receiver. He's really fast, so I think you can take advantage of that. For example, the forty nine ers needed last season that Dyavin Needing like a wire receiver that is able to separate, and I think Watkins will be able to create that separation. And also like on deep routes, on deeper trolls, he can present like a tread. Obviously, we know how good part is identifying whoever is fast. He processes information really fast, really fast. And if you see that Watkins is quick and it's able to separate quickly, that can be a huge advantage for the forty nine ers offense, and especially because we don't know, like when Brandon Nayuki is going to be back and healthy. Even even Kyle Shanahan said that at at his press conferences, I think Watkins is a huge addition to the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Austin, will lindsay, you had the chance to talk to John Lynch after every single day of this year's draft. You just finished talking to him today on day three. What did he have to say about his final thoughts on this year's class, How proud is he of his picks? And really what insight did he give you from the last day.
Speaker 2: You know, with the eleven picks, there were definitely a lot of positions of need and they were able to address those almost in the way that they had envisioned really early with those four picks. But all of the picks were necessary, right, We were definitely predicting trades back to maybe get more trades up to get a higher they needed the eleven picks they had. They were really happy with the quality of talent that they were able to get. And what John Lynch did say is, you know, I said at the beginning of the draft, there's a lot of depth in this class, and they found those quality players well into Day three, and that is why they chose to keep those late seventh round draft picks, because those were guys that they were interested in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and hey, zeus, which picks are getting the most buzz in your coverage on esp channels and what are your final thoughts on this year's draft class.
Speaker 3: Definitely like a guy like Alfred Collins. I saw that a lot of people like him, even our first rounder Michael and Michael Williams, Like I noticed that that people are really liking like that. This this draft has like Robert Sala's input all over it, and people are noticing that because you know, when when this thing started, we we really when you look at the forty nine ers roster before before the draft, obviously we have a Nick Bosa, we have a Fred Warner and the Amador Leonore. But and that's that's great, that's great. To start with, but on the end and on the offenses. But on the offensive side of the ball is where the majority of the stars are. You know the kid or the Trent Willing and you know all those guys. So obviously we needed some people in the in the offensive line, and we did get an offensive lignment, but in general you needed more people in the defensive line. So so I think people love a lot of those pis the Alfred Kahn and the c. J. West. I saw a lot of positive reactions and in general, I think they're really good players that have a really good chance to be starters for the forty nine ers immediately because they fit well perfectly what the forty nine ers.
Speaker 1: Do awesome well. To close us out on today's podcast, I've got a few fun questions to wrap it up. First off, an easy one, who are you most excited to see in action this upcoming year?
Speaker 2: I want to say cornerback up in Stout. I think just the energy and if you go watch either his press availability or the one on one zoom interview that I did with him bouncing off the wall in the best way possible. Also the most energetic draft call with John Lynch, Kyle Shanahan and CEO Jed Yorke, So I think being able to see that energy translate onto the field, I'm super excited, and he was so stoked to become a Niner this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd have to say defensive lineman Alfred Collins is maybe one of my favorites to see in this upcoming year. I love the energy he gave you in that zoom call talking about his versatility, and also that dominance he brings up to the d line and that energy that he works with. I'm really excited to see that in action. Who's your favorite pick this year?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say Mike kel Williams, but that's a pretty obvious one because you know he's the person everybody's pretty excited about him. So I'm gonna go with Nick Martin. Nick Martin, I really like he has a linebacker. I think he's really fast. He's gonna help the forty nine Ers a lot in stopping the running game. And if if you look at it, all these guys, all these defenders the forty nine Ers acquire in this draft, they're really good against the run. So I think now the forty nine Ers defense in general, with guys like Nick Martin are gonna be really really good against the run.
Speaker 1: And if the faithful were staying tuned to social media, specifically X, you would have gotten a few hints from our CEO and owner Jed York. Right before the forty nine ers made their pick and they were on the clock, he dropped a few little tweets and ex posts giving fans a little hint on what the forty nine ers might do. Lindsay, do you happen to have a favorite on the list?
Speaker 2: So I can't say it verbatim, but I do believe it was before the fifth pick and he was like, let's do something different. Never mind Robert Solid just back like and then that's when the forty nine ers took their fifth straight defensive pick, which I believe was CJ.
Speaker 1: West.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of getting all of the picks of my mixed up at this point, but that was my favorite by far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's what do you think I like the one of our Frank Gore when we were gonna chose the running back Jordan James. Yeah, and he tweeted something like if a fater Hall of Fame or approached it, then that's got to be the pick something. I don't remember the exact quote, but I like that one.
Speaker 1: The one of I like how he gives you some insight onto what's happening in the war room. That's pretty cool. I think my favorite because this was a really long day. On day three, he said speed this up, hashtag, let's do it, let's wrap this thing up. Awesome. So I also want to know what was your guys' favorite pick announcement. We had a few different celebrities and extra special fans go up and make some picks. Do you have a favorite that stands out to you?
Speaker 2: I do like the incorporation of Internet national sites and the forty nine ers were fortunate to be able to announce a pick in Monterey, Mexico, and we had Alfredo Gutierrez and Patrick will I think Patrick Willis is a lot of people favorites Hall of Fame linebackers, So I really like that announcement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's this. Is there any special woman that stood out to you on the draft coverage? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was gonna go with that one, the one that Lisa mentioned. I also like a lot the one Julian Peterson gave, especially because Julian Peterson brought a lot of memories of like my teenage years, like middle school years, because I watched him as a player growing up and he was really good for the forty nine Ers, So so yeah, I enjoyed that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my favorite was our forty nine Ers International Fan of the Year, Hugh Davies. He made a pick on Day three of the draft live in Green Bay. I got to talk to Hugh right after he made the pick. Take a look you you just announced a pick live from the twenty twenty five NFL Draft in Green Bay. What was that experience like standing on stage and representing the forty nine Ers.
Speaker 4: It was amazing. It was a Dreamtom Try. It was a surreal experience. The crowd was phenomenal. It just they went on forever, all the way back to lambeau Field, and it was a real proud moment for a team that I've supported for thirty something years. And yeah, to add another member of the team to the forty nine Ers was a dream come true.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Yeah, you picked wide receiver Jordan Watkins. How cool was it to call his name out and officially welcome a new player to the team.
Speaker 4: It was something that I never thought would happen in my lifetime, but now I have a connection to Jordan and I'm going to follow his career and hopefully he's the next debo and hopefully he has a very long, successful career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I want to rewind just a bit and just congratulate you for being the forty nine Ers International Fan of the Year. What's it like to represent the faithful? Tell us a little bit about your journey becoming the Niners fan all the way in Australia.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, I became a Niners fan when my dad brought me a hat back from America on a work trip and I was just a little kid, about ten years old, and from then on I sort of followed the forty nine Ers and they grew to be my favorite team. And yeah, I've been a passionate forty nine Ers fan for well over thirty years now. And we get up very early on a Monday morning to watch the games live because it's quite early and Monday morning in Australia is Sunday in the States. So it's a passion that comes with a fair bit of.
Speaker 1: Bake determination perhaps, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, yeah, determination, like, yeah, getting up that early and starting off the week like that, but it is a highlight of starting off the week for me, and yeah, to be as I've grown that I've watched from Joe Montana to Steve Young and Jerry Rice and through the ups and downs of the forty nine ers and now with the brock Perty era, It's something that I'm really excited about. And when I got picked to me the international Fan of the Year for the forty nine Ers, it was something I could have never ever dreamed of, and yeah, it was a dream come true and it's got me closer to the forty nine ers than I ever thought possible.
Speaker 1: Well, the faithful, our family, Hugh, thank you so much for representing the faithful, and go Niners.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That'll do it for today. Faithful, thank you so much for following all of our draft coverage on forty nine ers dot com. Make sure to stay tuned for any arts season coverage by subscribing to First and Time presented by Cisco on YouTube, Apple Podcasts, and Spotify. We'll see you there.