Speaker 1: What is up?
Speaker 2: Mets fans, Welcome back to a special episode of the metsa Podcast. If you're listening to us, I suggest you hop on over to YouTube because you will see we are joined by a special guest today, former New York Met World Series All NLCS hero Daniel Murphy joins us. Daniel, thank you so much, man, appreciate it. How you been.
Speaker 1: What's going on doing well? Mark? Thank you for having me. James you as well. Well. It's Sandlot season and we get to start a little earlier down here in Florida then in the Northeast, which is why all the lads are down in spring training. So we've been bawling. My two boys they bowl played baseball ten Noah and then seven Drew. And then my daughter's been doing some ice skating which keeps us a bit cool. And then we got a little one, Jake, who's two years old, and he just bosses us around without using much words, like a few words as possible. So we're doing good. Thank you for asking. I'm in my wife's her office right now that she has for her charity prom series, so she let me, she let me steal it to hang out with you guys.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a lot of fun. What was your wife's charity do?
Speaker 1: So its main focus is girls who are in the foster care system middle school to high school age, and she throws events for him. So the first one was in Denver where she brought all the girls who were in foster care in, got the wives, girlfriends, and fiancees to come and help as well, got prom dresses for them, all, got their hair and makeup, done it a suite for a ball game. And now she's probably done that, I think in maybe fifty like twenty stadiums like an event like that where she's been there, and she's been able to host an event in every major league stadium like it's been she's been really well received. And you know baseball and you know the wives of our guys who have you know, we leave for the ballpark one o'clock. You know, you kind of can end up having a lot of free time and something to sink your teeth into. So they've really rallied around my wife, Tory and her heart for children in the foster care system. So thank you for asking.
Speaker 2: That's that's awesome to hear. That's that's amazing stuff. To switch the conversation a little bit, just to go back to baseball now, talk about you. We're gonna talk about the Mets. We're gonna talk about twenty twenty five Mets. But I think for me and James's lifelong Mets fans, there's a few things that we got to know about and that we want to ask you specifically about that twenty fifteen season. We were texting before we got on the show, and we were talking about a lot of the moves that the Mets made this offseason. But during the twenty fifteen season, the Mets made a particularly big move bringing in you an assessments at the trade deadline as a player on that team, especially because that season was super up and down to begin with, What was it like bringing in a guy like Yo.
Speaker 1: Well, the roller coaster ride of how we got there, of kind of thinking it was Carlos Gomez and then you know flow, you know, just revealing that we're human beings. He just happened to do it in front of, you know, the entire city and world to a certain respect. But when Yo came in, like he just is also in conjunction with getting Kelly Johnson in your rebay, it's like all these guys came in, but when you came in, you could feel like Sandy, you know, just like telling the ball color, we're going for it. And then we added those other guys as well too, and so that was like just to be in the clubhouse and to get that confidence from the front office that like we're we're in this and we're going to go for it, and we're gonna we're gonna sacrifice some of ourselves in the future, which was I think, Michael foellmore, if I'm not mistaken, you know, to make a move right now to try to win in the present, and it was it was really a huge lift. And then to add in, you know, the guys I talked about like those are I kind of those are like sand Lauders, Like they know how to ball, and they know how to win games and get in position to win games. And I learned so much from Kelly Johnson, like I love of Kelly and so I had a treat playing with him. And it was a wonderful run that we were able to go on.
Speaker 3: What was that feeling like in the first half of that season when you guys had a veteran team, a lot of talent. You guys probably knew that you should have been playing better, but we weren't playing up to your own standards. How do you stay motivated? And what was kind of like if there was one a galvanizing moment during that first half that kept everyone locked in with the goal in mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think looking back on it, we made a really I think we had like we go like eleven and like we won like eleven in a row or something. I think that was like we just kind of came out of the gates really hot. And I think selfishly, I remember I wasn't playing very good. I was pumped we were winning, and I feel like I was doing some things to help us win. But like I didn't feel like I was playing nearly as well as I wanted. But we were. But no, we were winning, which was the best part. We kind of rode that eleven game winning streak in some of those ups and downs and kind of were able to cling to that. And then also you could say maybe at the same time that the Nationals were under performing to what they thought were going to do for their standards, So you know, we just remained in it the whole year, even though it would have felt like we were kind of trying to keep our head above water other than that real, real good stretch of a week and a half or two weeks we had. So I think what maybe Galvinizers was being in the hunt deeper into the season than we had been in what eight I mean we're talking. I think that that's the last Pennant race I had remembered, and I was, you know, I was up for that one, but like you know, David had been through those wars. I hadn't been through that. Like I was only up for two months, you know, Nick Evans and I coming up. So I think maybe as I think about it, and you asked the question, and kind of the the energy came from being in it, you know, like really being in it, and then you get the bolt from the front office and then we start playing well. And also TC, sorry, TC brought us in when we made the trades for Kelly Johnson and your eBay and these guys coming in, and he brought me and Flores and Tahada, and due to on the infielders, David must have been busy. I'm kidding, because what TC was telling us that this is a meritocracy. Now you know. I mean we got like, there's like four you in here, we got two come in and you know number five is going to be on the menu. So whoever plays best gets to play. And that was unique, not that we weren't playing the best players, but that we kind of had that many options of good ball players. And so, yeah, how was.
Speaker 2: It playing around David Wright? Us Mets fans have such like a he had such an aura for us. He was so much bigger than life. What was it like to be his teammate?
Speaker 1: Well? I got to know him kind of in the intimate settings where he lets his guard a little bit, so he would be bigger than life at times. But also like you could get in there and you'd be needling him and back and forth and have like just that locker room banter where you're just you're just getting on each other. But David's willingness I thought to take on. So he's already the most recognizable player we have because he's the best, and he plays every day. So he's taking on like that responsibility of posting and showing the whole club and the organization what it looks like to go out and play hard every day. Also trying to be the best teammate he could, which is a choice. You don't have to choose to do that. I've chosen not to do it enough times to know you you can choose not to. So now he's taken on that that like he's looking around to help those around him, right, And then you add in the fact that like for the stretch of mostly what I remember, we weren't as good as we wanted to be. We weren't very good, and they ain't come talk to me after ball games. They went and talked to David. And so now he's representing us in the organization again through the media, and you just see, like it's a lot of weight to take on that he did voluntarily, and so I was always so impressed at how he could do that and still be so good on the field because it was a long season and you could you could not see it where you could just see that's a lot, that's a lot to take on. It was a it was a it was a heavy burden for him to advocate for us as much as he did because he was good and I really wasn't, but he was still standing up for me.
Speaker 3: I think you found your shry at some point that season, But do you stay in touch with any guys from that team.
Speaker 1: I reach out to de Grom a little bit, so and then so Jake, and then you know, David, and then so Saton wasn't on the fifteen club, but I still we end up golfing together. So David, myself, Zimmerman, and Josh Shatton have been able to go on to like a golf trip the last two years, and so we're hoping to keep that going. Let's see who else, Harvey. I. You know, I've been able to reach out to Matt. My wife actually ran into him Game four of the NLDS, Yeah, and the team store, and Matt was in there spending some of his shekels for the for the Metropolitans. Then I ran into Ruben Tahta and Long Island when I went and played in twenty three, so he was coming in to play with walking with Wally. He had had some visa troubles and I was just leaving to head to Salt Lake City and so we just missed each other. But we got to see each other again and it had been oh man, that'd been the first time I'd seen him in a while, and I like I remember Ruben we were an instructional league together when he was sixteen, Like he's running around at short, stopped making every play. So like I know in Ruby Tuesday Forever, it was a good group.
Speaker 2: You had a pretty good look at the slide from Chase Hutley going into Ruben Tata as a player, because I mean as a fan, we all went Berzurik as a player. What are the initial emotions going on when you see something like that happen.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's immediate anger and then there was also some how do I want to describe it on my part, Like I'd say responsibility. I didn't get Ruben a very good feed at all, Like I didn't really want the ball and I kind of gave it to him like I didn't want it. Now, I wish that Ruben would have taken the out and secured it and got the hell out of there, you know what I mean, and protected himself. But my boy wanted to play. I've seen him do it since he was sixteen. He wanted to make a play out on the other end, at least coming in and Chase's goal is to make sure that the guy on deck gets to turn it back. I think that's the only goal he has. Now. Can you say was it dirty? Did he go in there like like he whacked him? He could have gotten him without getting him like that, without a doubt. It was high, it was late, and he went in to make sure that you know, the on deck batter hit like pretty ferociously. And I say this but after playing against Chase Chase, if you were to talk to him about it, and I've you know, not talked to him about it, but I've seen him. We did the home run derby last year. We were part of the old London you know performance, and so what Chase would say, though, if you were say, is like I'll be out at second base tomorrow night and if you want to get me, you can come and get me. And that's the way Chase played his ball. And what David would do was he would try to get his ass, you know what I mean. And so that's the kind of ball we played. But it hurts your heart to see it turned out that way for you know, for Reuben getting hit so hard and high. But then the like the honestly, the Sandlauder in me understands where Chase is coming from. It's like we want to get one more turn it back, and so that part I get, But it just I wish it didn't take my boy's leg to get there without a doubt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just that's a moment that sticks with every Mets fan, least of our age, forever, because like the watching your short SUPs leg get broken on a field, It's like, not how many baseball fans but we'll ever see that in their lives. It was crazy. You also had a pretty first hand view of the Wolmer floors night you mentioned it before. At what point did you guys know what was going on and when you initially saw your shortstop in tears, what did you think was happening.
Speaker 1: I think we sorted out that there was like a move and flow was involved in it. But every other time there's a move like that, you get hooked out of the ballgame and the flow was still out there, you know what I mean, So obviously it wasn't something was going on. I don't know. I'm I tried. I was excited when I was in the lineup and tried to play. I was oblivious to all sorts of stuff. David would have to tell me what was going on. He'd be telling me, I didn't know what was going on. I was just like a little puppy dog chasing a ball. Then you look out there and you just see the real humanity of like we're people like with families. And again I go back, like flow, Flow is an instructional league too. I remember him when he was sixteen. He was taller than Reuben, but they was about as skinny as each other, and so all he knew was the Mets And to kind of have all this swirling around with you, like and you're on display. I think that's what we saw. We saw a human being put on display in a way that that that most of us get to do, you know, and in a more private setting like his, Like if you get you get traded, or you get moved on from your line of work or to another company, like you don't, you're not, it's not on us. And why you don't run the highlights on the ESPN for Sports Center and so the humanity aspect it it made my heart hurt for him, you know. But then I got we got to see his courage and stand up in the face of that, and we really like we really rode flow, you know, obviously through the series with the Nationals, but even kind of more in the long term. He ended up being the shortstop after Ruben got hurt, and you know, you could say maybe be and Flow could have caught the ball better in the middle, but you know, we was out there trying trying to go and so yeah, that's kind of the way I think about it when I look back at Wilbur and that set up going.
Speaker 2: To the twenty fifteen playoff run again, you were so insane in the zone. I mean, something that we really haven't seen from many players ever in the history of the playoffs in the World Series. What is it like to be that locked in for that period of time in the biggest games of the entire year. How are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Well, somewhat I'd say, first, somewhat nervous to not touch it, you know what I mean, Like, I don't want to mess with this. I don't want to this cocktail is really good, you know what I mean, And we're playing well and I don't want to mess with it. But the next way I've thought about is like when my eyes would tell my body to do something, like it would just do it, and it kind of did it fast, and it was doing it dangerously, and my eyes were telling me to swing at like good balls. We were picking good balls. Well, like I kind of dug into like I've been going back into the past. I've been consuming my baseball lately, from like nineteen hundred to like nineteen forty. This is the baseball. And Ted Williams used to ask every great hitter he'd run into, what's it take to be a great hitter? And Roger Hornsby told him, get you a good ball to hit. You'll hear me say it one hundred times at our eleven U game. We played a tournament all year. Get you a good ball to hit? You know what I mean? Well, I was choosing good balls and my body was doing what I wanted. And then at that point there's kind of this scuffle between the pitcher and the batsman at who's going to push you back? You know what I mean? Because like the pitchers want they want you to retreat, they want to push you back. But if you can get into attack mode as the batsmen we are on offense, and you can start anticipating where you think the pitcher's going to go and where he's going to be there are less places for the pitcher to go, then the batsman. Then the batter gets to go. We get the whole outfield. He gets the strike zone, and so if I pick make him make a good ball, that gets even smaller and you can kind of anticipate when you come here, we're gonna let you know that we was looking right there. If that makes sense. Yeah, and so you just kind of start riding it, and that's that would be the way to describe it. I think when I got, you know, personally to the World Series, the Royals were able to push me back a little bit and I got defensive and I wasn't as attacking, and I started swinging it at bad pitches and then you could just feel this ebb and flow between the twirler and the batter. It's like they get to go first, you know what I mean. They initiate and they're trying to push you back. But the price for going first is they don't get to go last, and they're further away from the fight, you know what I mean, we're fighting over this straight It's one thing Sandy Alders seems to talk about the strike zone like I think he nailed it. It's a fight over the strike zone. You can feel it in the postseason, like when Francisco Lindor gets one to zero with a runner on first, You're like, he's going to score him. He's gonna score him right here on this good ball he's gonna hit, gonna split this gap. And that's what I tell the boys in our baseball for the Blue Claws over the weekend, Like we get somebody on first, I go score him. Well, the only way you're going to score him is you better beat the infielders. You got to beat the first line of defense most of the time. And so you kind of start talking ball like this, and so I would say that fortunately for fifteen and that stretch run, I just kind of gotten a moment, and you know, I was never going to take over a baseball game or two defensively, so needed to be on offense.
Speaker 3: Does that Does that ever affect your playgause? Earlier in your career, you were moving a lot between the infield the outfield. There were some good times, there were some bad times. What's it like getting into the box when you know you're going through struggles in the field to the second anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly, because there's more pressure on it, like you can feel when you're a one dimensional play. Were trying to win ball games around here, like I want to score more runs than the other guys, and if I'm not catching it on defense, that's not helpful. And and so as we you know when you're when you get in there and you know you're not going good on defense. It was Damien easily said something. When I was a rookie. He would say, and I haven't I got my hat back where someone would do that, but he would. He would pick his hat up when it was time to play defense, and he after it a bad and even if it was a crabb he goes, this is my defensive hat. Now it's time to defend, and he'd put it on boom and he'd be like, okay. So it's a way to separate the two. So what I learned it was easier for me to separate a bad play on defense from offense because I knew if I didn't go on offense, I wasn't gonna get to play, and so I would I would like I would have coaches sometimes and they would want to talk about a play on defense, and I might be hitting first or second and I was easy for me to say, like it's time to put my helmet on, like you know, Easy was talking about put his hat on, and so with that it would be like I want to talk to you about that. Boo boo. I just made I promise, But I gotta go hit right now, and I'm hitting third, and it could be first and third, no outs, It could be nobody on two outs. It could be runner on second with one out, you know what I mean. I got some situations I got to run through. We'll talk about the defense without a doubt, but I'm telling you know that if I don't go and hit, we didn't got to worry about the defense because y'all won't run me out there. So I kind of separated it like that, you know, separate, try to separate the defense from the offense.
Speaker 2: After the twenty fifteen season hit, the free agent market didn't come back with the Mets, went with the Washington Nationals. What was that whole experience, like negotiating contracts with with both teams? Were the Mets pushing harder? What was that like in the offseason?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that, Yeah, the offseason that one will had the qualifying offer where we get like a week after the World Series, and like there was serious consideration to take in that. Well, I can say it this way, never in my life that I think that I turned down fifteen point eight million dollars for one year, Like ever, I just what the day the day that we did it, I looked at my wife, I was like, what are you talking about? But it's in the hopes of hoping to get multiple years. But so we gave serious consideration of that because, you know, the idea is I love k Long, I loved all the guys, I loved Pat Rossler and TC. And it's like we just got done winning a pennant and I was able to finish the year kind of August, you know, through the end of the postseason minus the World Series, playing really well offensively, and so the idea of you know, running it back was like, yeah, I think so, but multiple years is what is what we were looking for, and and then the off season unfolds and it ends up you know, the market, the second base market at that time was kind of Ben's Obris was was the one who made that one go, you know what I mean? And who was where was he going to end up? I believe the Mets were interested, the Cubs were interested, and then you also had the trade market as well, and as Drubil was available and Neil Walker, so you know, the Mets end up going is drouble and Neil kind of back to back days almost as a free agent. I was like, and then I looked at my wife and thought, it looks it looks really unlikely, like we're going to be able to find a way back to New York, which isn't anything personal. And he could have taken the qualifying offer as well too, And so to be honest, the market, our market was kind of cold, like we didn't you know, there wasn't a ton in interest. I wouldn't say interest the qualifying offer that was attached to me for the draft pick. Teams were not They don't like giving up draft picks. And I don't blame them, because that bonus pool money allows you to go and just add talent to your system, and talent to your system can help you in the big leagues themselves, or they can help you acquire talent talent at the deadline, and so this thing was kind of weighing me down. And so teams they were little what they just didn't didn't have a ton of offers, but the Nationals made one that that that that we wanted and took about Christmas Eve, and you know, then stayed in the NL East. And you know, when fight for a division.
Speaker 2: You stayed in the NL East. You're aware that your best numbers against like any team are against the Mets. What's that like to own the team that you used to play for?
Speaker 1: Like and I wouldn't call it owned, played well, played.
Speaker 3: Well fifteen fifty games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I was comfortable in that batter's box. I'd been in it since two thousand and nine. It was interesting to pull in on the dark side, to go into the Visiting Clubhouse because the only there the time I'd been over there was for David's got a fantasy football league that I've been fortunate enough to be in for probably now when is it twenty twenty five, like fifteen years now, So he hosted that one year. We all got together in the visiting clubhouse. So it was interesting to kind of walk in like the back way into the dark side. But it like I I was more, I was motivated, like to do well, to try to live up to the value the contract and then also like you see your former ball club, it's like, yeah, I wouldn't mind getting you guys too, And we're in the same division. We're going to hook up nineteen times, like all right, And I think fortunately, like the we didn't play each other until like May that year, if I'm not mistaken. It was like deep and it's deeper in the season, maybe six weeks now swinging the bat pretty well, and then I swing the bat well like the first game or two to kind of like settle in, because again it's that fight back and forth, like the pitching staff like Harvey and Jake are trying to knock me through the backstop and I'm I'm trying to go that way. I'm not. I would charge you to my weapons bigger, you know what I mean. So yeah, that was kind of it was. It was it was nice to have a good start if if I wanted to play well in.
Speaker 3: DC started to transition more to this current Mets team. While you were playing on Nationals, you did have a little bit of overlap with one. So though, what was he like as a very very very young player and did you ever could you ever feel or foresee that he'd become the player he's now become.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it would probably probably be difficult for me to predict that he would be you know, Rogers hornsby like ops plus and one seventy. But I guess what I could say with that is that I was I was rehabbing and trying to get healthy because I'd had knee surgery in the off season of seventeen, and like, I'm I'm I'm running crooked circles, you know what I mean. I'm not moving worth the crap, and so I'm kind of focused on that when one comes up. So I'm watching the games but not attending to them, kind of as closely as a rehab player. But I still remember Kevin Long. I go, what's up with one? Because he had a whole run the other way like one of his first games or two, and I was like, man, this guy took on the big carry as a nineteen year old. I was like, what is going on? And so I asked k Long, I go, what's up with What's up with one? He goes, He'll never go back down. He goes this one's special, like this one's special. I was like, okay, and then I got back. I think one of my first series back was in Yankee Stadium and one hit a home run the other way, and it's like you're just there in that box. Nothing was ever ever felt like it was moving too fast for him. And I think watching him part of that was his his choice and his willingness to not ever give away a pitch. He never gives away pitches, And that's a choice because I've thrown enough in the trash where I wasn't paying attention to know it like, and so it and what it ends up being contagious, you know what I mean. Like if Wan's in there looking for a good ball every single pitch from the moment he wakes up in the morning, then what excuses do I have. It's like watching David, you know what I mean, Like what am I gonna do complain about not playing well or getting something from the crowd. Like David's out there every day standing up for us at the end of it and taking it. Not that the fans are giving it to him, but you know he said with Jeter got booed in New York, so like you're gonna get it from time to time, and so it just like that sort of stuff builds a momentum on itself over the course of a long campaign, and you could see it. You know, his Wan's in camp right now, like home run is first at bat and you see him in his work and how he goes about it. It's like, yeah, got like he's almost Ted Williams, you know what I mean, Like this is fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's awesome. Also to bring him into a team that made to the NLCS last year. Has Francisco Indoor brought back, Pete Alonzo, Viento's The list goes on on the team's loaded. How do you feel about the Mets going into the twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that without a doubt, as you talk about the momentum of getting into the NLCS and you know, really you know, stand in toe to toe. I think with the Dodgers, you know, Charlie Dodgers last year, I think that offensively it's as deep a lineup, like it's really deep. Of course you have the Dodgers, but I think the depth of the Mets stands up with with any other team in the National League, probably in the big leagues. It unfortunate news with Francisco Alvarez, which I'm sure we'll probably be able to talk about a bit. But again, the depth and the ability to go kind of switch, you know, left right, left right with protection and not anybody be able to get the platoon advantage on you for too long. It's not I'm not breaking ground to say that. Like the pitching in general, there's a couple of hints like to I think mentors coming back, you know, easing back into it. And then is it Suarez I'm playing like, is he a little banged up in camp if I'm not mistaken or no, is there a relief pitcher noun? Yez forgive me, thank you very sorry. I'm doing two games at the end of spring training, so I'll like get locked in for that, but I'm more globally watching my baseball and then Manaya and oh, forgive me, we're just talking about yeah, montass as well too, So like we're kind of talking to you guys like there's there's work that has to be done, like you know, the start and pitching. You're kind of hoping to get eight hundred innings at them out of the staff, and so you know it'll be it'll be the internal options that they're working through in spring training. To try and to get to the return the health of Manaia and Mantas and then kind of see what happens at the deadline. Maybe maybe you don't need much. I'm I'm curious to see how much the pin gets used early in the season to make up maybe for some innings that aren't being provided that you thought you might get from the starting pitching. So well, these campaigns are fun. You know, you still remember to you know, Carlos's first what five ball games last year, you know, like the sky was falling, like it goes every direction, uh and twice on Sunday, and so yeah, I think that, you know, it would be like the Crosstown right now, they're dealing with you know, starting pitching health as well, and so it just kind of unfortunately that time of year where you're hoping to dodge the rain drops and if not between Jeremy Hefner and the training staff with you know, Brian Chiciclow who I had in Triple A and Joe Golie and Double A, like they'll get him back and as strong as ever. Just you want to you don't. You don't want to get too far behind too early, you know what I mean like it, you know, you don't want to have to thread the needle. I think that even David Stern's kind of alluded to that last year that you're kind of we're kind of on the edge there, you know what I mean, and like we we got we know, we believe in the ball club we have, but we got to go. At a certain point, you run out of games.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned that you'll be doing some games toward the end of the month on S and Y. You made your S and Y debut last year. I think, speaking for Mark and I speaking for Mets fans, you did an amazing job. What's it been like that transition trying to be the color guy in a broadcast and trying to add that to your repertoire.
Speaker 1: Well, I thank you for that. Thank you. That's humbling. I appreciate it. Out nervous like like this is nerve wracking stuff. I can't say enough about Gary Cohen and just how just goy like he just lays it out for you, you know what I mean, and just provide such a such an environment to talk baseball. And then you know Ron as well too, but I mean he does S and Y. He is the reason he gets national games like they're the best, and then got to work with Keith as well too. But I'd say one of the biggest adjustments, honestly was was being the different viewpoint of the strike zone and being so far away from it. I like to be close to the strike zone, you know what I mean. I like to be real close to it. That's what we're fighting over. I like to tuck in there as close as I can. So it took me from getting used to that.
Speaker 3: So I said, yeah, you got your weapon.
Speaker 1: And it's a big one too. It's bigger than this thing, and so had I had to catch myself. I started watching the game on the monitor to see what happened in the strike zone to see if it was a curve or a fastball or like a change of pace, and then I would pick the ball up live. So that way, if there was a highlight or a replay for me to do or some color to do on, I knew what pitch it was. I knew what part of the strike zone it was in or not in is a bad ball, And then I could kind of because the first time I did it on which was good to do, I was kind of trying to decipher what had happened in the zone and the coming together at the same time, I was trying to like say something that was you know, people wanted to hear, and so I was like, I was, ah, I'm just so I watched it on the monitor and then pick up the ball, and so I've enjoyed that because I like, I want to be close to that strike.
Speaker 2: Zone watching the game from afar as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: There's been so many changes that have gone on with how the game is being played and the philosophies, especially on the hitting and pitching side of things. What's your take on the I guess movement forward right now in baseball at least, it seems like in the public eye that we're very much more analytical focused and rather it's not as much performance based every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we end up being like from a performance standpoint, once you get to the big leagues, it's a pretty darn good meritocracy. It seems that maybe there's a level of data that may give guys opportunities in the minor leagues that they might not have gotten previously if they weren't being productive. Like we like, we like the way that your curve performs, it spends at this you know RPMs, which we have learned that you know that has success. So if we can learn to get you to throw, it will kind of keep giving you chances. I think that I'm not I don't overly love machines personally. Like I think part of the reason that I had the fortunate and be so fortunate to be accurate, that was kind of my unique skill is my dad threw to me as a child all the time. If I asked, he was throwing, and so I got good at dancing. I think this is a dance between the pitcher and the battery with my father, you know what I mean. And I got accurate, and then I was going to actually ask you guys, like I remember my baseball growing up, not as much cheering for a specific team like Atlanta would have been the closest one to us because they were on TV. But I remember it as playing like I just remember playing like all the time. That's all I wanted to do. I wanted to play with my peers. I wanted to get at bats and hit. And so I think that the machine pitch, while you can probably get more reps. You know what, I mean in a shorter amount of time. There's something about seeing that ball come out of somebody's hand. And when I think back to like who I would consider the two greatest hitters of all time, like Babe Ruth and Ted Williams, all they did was play with their peers unsupervised. They didn't have no coaches out there. They had the scoreboard, and you had to learn how to problem solve. So like, if you like to run the bases, you better learn how to be accurate because you only get three swipes at this thing unless they throw a stripe, you know what I mean. And so I think that there's an opportunity for the youth and kind of baseball to problem solve better if we're not so on top of them, you know what I mean, Like let them have their style. When's the last time you saw somebody with some Mellot sort of style, you know what I mean, Like like Josh Hamilton had a nice little battip to them, but like we like Teddley's, like, don't don't mess with their style. Like I think that children, because I'm in the youth kind of right now watching my boys play, children are the best movers you know what I mean, they'd move, They moved beautifully. What they lack is accuracy, But they spend thirty hours a week in school. So why do would I expect you to be accurate with this? I wasn't accurate with it on defense, you know what I mean? So why would I expect you to be? And so I think that there's, yeah, there's kind of that opportunity. And so I know you guys ever been on a machine before and never hit against one?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, uh, James likes makes fun of me because I talk about my high school baseball days like very fondly on the podcast and it's it's always roading joke. But yeah, like there's there is nothing like hitting off of a live arm. Like the live arm is always better. It's always you get a much better read on it. Like my dad through VP to me, same thing, whenever I wanted, he was ready to go. But yeah, hitting off the machine, I've I've hit off of one of the new machines recently where you can literally like copy Jacob de Grom's slide.
Speaker 1: That that trajec thing, yes, totect.
Speaker 2: One, and then on top of that, hitting with like a rap Sodo machine and seeing how hard you're hitting it in launch angle, it's like very overwhelming if that's not something you were used to. But at the same time it's like, wow, I kind of wish I had some more at least.
Speaker 1: The choice of it. Yeah, maybe the choice of it. All right. So here's been my explanation of hitting off a machine. And the traject may be different because I haven't done like the newest one. I've done one before, but which is like some run of the mill guy, not like the grom out there. Yes, but I equate the pitching machine like a straight fast one out of the pitching machine, like go into the eye doctor and when they put that puff air in your eye and you kind of go like this, that's what it feels like when the ball comes out, Like when somebody, Yeah, when somebody kind of comes into me and gets their wind up going to their stretch, it's like I can get in the rhythm with you and kind of get in the style. It's more difficult to do in my experience with that. So that's been my machine one. And I agree with you, you know, as far as like to have the access to it, for sure, But I do think that still as best as if you can get someone to throw to you. I just think of the number of bats that like these old school guys had, Like when they got done playing a season, they went and barnstormed. If I had to do it again, I would play more winter ball. Really, I would do less weight room and play more winter ball. If I want to get better at baseball, I think if I play more baseball, I'll get better at it.
Speaker 2: Do you think that a lot of the injuries right now in general that are coming up are because players are focused a lot more on weightlifting rather than like saying loose type of thing and playing more baseball.
Speaker 1: I think that. I think that if you can, if you throw and hit more and learn how to I think this is a punch. You're throwing a punch from the mound. You got two of them always, And then I tell my boys too, I got you got two punchers, and you've got two kickers. You know what I mean? So you what those old school guys kind of learn how to do, is they learn how to throw a punch they could throw over and over again, all right. I think that also that if someone else is teaching you, like what to do with the ball, and how to hold it and how to throw it, and how to shape it specifically. That's not necessarily your punch in your style, that's theirs. Now you don't know if this coaching what it's doing to you. So I more prefer like I have my son, he throws curve balls. You know, he's eleven years old, he's about to be and I'll go, he goes, Dad, am I allowed to throw curves? And all the kids I'll tell him. I go, absolutely, I go, what kind of curve you want to throw? You can throw one side to side, you can throw one over the top, you can throw any kind of shape you want to go, Paint a picture of the of the want and send it like I don't. I don't think that Candy Cummings when he started throwing a curve with his rock, you know what I mean, like was gonna break that way? He just started curving it. Now you could say he's not doing it at the velocity, and that definitely plays a role. But I'd like to see kind of less specific coaching on like the positions you should get into, and more coaching on like what's the scoreboard telling us right now? And how can I teach you how to hunt in this situation because we got to score more runs than the other guys.
Speaker 3: Daniel has been great talking. I feel like we keep you here for hours. We can find stuff to talk about all day, Baseball, the Mets, whatever it is. But we're gonna have to wrap this up for a second. So just a couple of final kind of more random questions before we let you go. You've talked about facing guys like Jake. You were part of an era where there was probably the last true era of the starting picture Kershoff Orlander. These guys sure as are who've become masters of the game, future Hall of famers, who might have been the toughest picture you ever had to face in your career, someone who always had your number. That would be maybe a bit of a surprise.
Speaker 1: Defans, Oh snack, Okay, that's an interesting question because I think relief pitcher, nobody will be surprised. I I like my last at that or two off of Josh Hater, Like the last one looks like I'm from benchwarmers, Like yeah, like it's I called a hit and run on myself and still didn't have a chance, Like I had no chance, And then like whenever Cliff Lee would get in the spot because like Cliff, Cliff understood I think maybe first and foremost that his job was to get deep in the game. Like it feels like he was trying to finish what he started. So he would I wouldn't say, have the governor on, but he would know how to get through the lineup if there was nobody on base. But he was a different human, and when there was runners in scoring position, he would start throwing things it just hadn't seen until there are runners on. So he was he was difficult to face, like really difficult. And then someone that nobody I wouldn't say, wouldn't expect it have to be. It's definitely a lefty. I can't really yeah this. I'm trying to think if there was a lefty or two, like, uh, it's it'd be like left handers like I just I hit on the left side because I like having the platoon advantage. You know, I mean, most of the world's right handed, so only thing better would have been switched, but I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: What do you think is the most underappreciated trait in Major League Baseball right now?
Speaker 1: Accuracy? All right?
Speaker 3: As in command for a picture.
Speaker 1: Accuracy when I booted a ball where you're like, oh my goodness, I can't. I love that Daniel is so accurate catching the ball. So it's like, you know, go ahead, please, I.
Speaker 3: Say, you got a call two years ago to come back, and you got a couple of coffee and triple A with the Angels? Are is it over? Is it officially over for Daniel Murphy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay. So I came back because I started watching the way Babe Ruth hit and I was like, I didn't hit like that. I had a completely different move. But then I'll watch my boys if I give him a heavy enough bat getting the same exact positions that Babe Ruth gets into, and Ted Williams and Roger Hornsby and Griffy. Griffy took us back in time, in my opinion. So I got to thinking, what is it that that children have in relation to Babe Ruth at similar It's like, well, Ruth wasn't really coached how to hit, you know what I mean, like specifically, and the child hasn't been coached. And then I don't really coach my boys on positions. I just tell him to nuke, you know, what I mean, and that's it just hit this thing to the sun, and I give him heavy bats and so like I got my seven year old, you know, I got videos of him swinging a thirty five inch, thirty five ounce lou Gary bat. But it's it's a store it's a sword, you know what I mean, It's a stick. He likes stwords. It's just a bigger one. But he's smart. He likes to hit baseball, so he figured out he'll snap that thing right in there. He gets in the same positions as Ruth. Ruth's just more accurate because he's done it more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just a couple of for sure. Who's your favorite baseball player to watch right now in the league?
Speaker 1: M hm, So difficult to not say Mike Trout when he's healthy, because like Roger hornsby ops plus you know what I mean, one seventy two and now Judge is right there as well. And also I don't understand how right handers do it. I just don't get it. I know how you do it from that side of the plate. You got to stick your nose in there on curves like seventy five percent of the time. It looks miserable like they just I don't I don't know how they do it. So those those guys are are really impressive. I find myself like I'll watch Trout, like I'll go out of my way to watch Mike, so I pray that he's healthy because it's much better for our ball game. And then like Soto's at bats, like these guys that don't give away pitches, those are kind of the things I end up attending to. Specifically, this this.
Speaker 3: Is my last one. Mark if you got another one, we like to ask a lot of the ballplayers to come on here. When you signed that first big contract, was the first thing you bought?
Speaker 1: Well, what's your definition of big? Because I thought that, like arbitration year one was pretty big. Does that count? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You can tell us the most fun Yeah, the most fun thing I got?
Speaker 2: Got right?
Speaker 1: So, okay, I probably went I went to Total Wine because my dad's from Kentucky, so he likes bourbon. So I find myself kind of like a little bourbon, you know, a little little whiskey old Scotch, and so I went to Total Wine and probably got like, I don't know, like a twelve hundred dollars Battle of Scotch. And it was like, wow, nice, we'll celebrate this, you know what I mean. So that would have been, Yeah, that would.
Speaker 2: Have been I was gonna have no more questions. But now I got to know, go to whiskey or scotch. You said you like it? What do you what are you buying?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like if I could just if I could find it anytime I want. There's this It's called Tully bar Dyne. It's a Scotch. It's just kind of got some sweetness to it. And I think I've had like I don't know, maybe the twenty year or something like that. If I can find that kind of this Tully a little bit older Tolly bar Dyne, that's what I would do. I don't drink a ton, but if I am like it's that that tastes good.
Speaker 2: Nice all right, James, nothing else. I think we're good. To wrap us up, Murph, thank you so much for joining us. Hopefully we can have you on again a couple of times during the season would be great talking more baseball with you. If there's anything you want to plug again here at the end, this will be your shot, and we appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I think again, Thank you guys so much for having me, thank you for letting me talk about my wife's charity. She's really kind of poured her heart into that and it's gotten so well received by you know, our baseball community and just everyone. So no, thank you guys very much. And let's pray for salute and good health for everyone here out of camp and everybody can get out of here for opening Day.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more, everybody. Daniel Murphy, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Tears four