Speaker 1: Welcome back to Fun Around and find out it's your girl, Shanti and this week we have a very special guest, Tim fun Thanks.
Speaker 2: For having me on. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to have you.
Speaker 1: This has been a month in the making and it is my honor to be able to host you today.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it. Let's have some fun.
Speaker 1: So let's just talk about this past week. Your daughter, the Dallas Wings played my New York Liberty. Tell me what it was like for you in that environment. Let's talk about the game.
Speaker 4: First of all, New York City shows out at the Liberty games, not not only for Liberty games. We were in Brooklyn for Unrivaled this past season as well, and it was crazy there, and it was crazy for the Liberty game on Sunday, it was crazy and Brooklyn when Yukon went there. It's a great basketball atmosphere. It's got to be one of the top in the w you know, we went to Indiana for the first game and they were they were really rabid fans there.
Speaker 2: But New York is New York.
Speaker 4: That's the that's the mecca, you know, mecca of the basketball capitol ball not the basketball capital world, but the Mecca will give them the Mecca.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen.
Speaker 1: You know I'm a little biased, but we definitely always show out for our sports teams.
Speaker 3: It does not matter if.
Speaker 1: You like hockey, soccer, football, basketball. New York fans are literally unmatched. But I'm really glad you liked the environment. It was definitely electric and.
Speaker 3: Our girl Azy lit us up.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, seventeen points in the third quarter. I was so excited, but also sick for my liberty.
Speaker 2: What the fund of the week? Maybe maybe what the.
Speaker 3: Might be youring with the money, but I got some cooking up.
Speaker 4: The crazy part about it is that they you know, we were in the city all weekend and the whole city was is vibing, partly because the Knicks are making the run, but you know, it's just exciting. It's a great time for the be, you know, to be a basketball fan in New York City or around New York City. If you can get to the city, people are excited. You see people, ordinary people just walking around with nick hats on, and you know they don't know thing about basketball, but hey, they're representing, and it was it was actually fun.
Speaker 2: It was really fun.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean right now, the Knicks have the city on fire. So people are like selling shirts, hats, wearing gear, people are allowed to change up their uniform at work. I mean, like it's a real exciting time to be in New York.
Speaker 4: Well, just being a basketball fan, you know that this time of the year for the Knicks and just a history. And you know, I was a big Patrick Ewing fan back in the day. Of course, he was George Town University and you know we claim him here in the DMV, but he was. He's one of my favorite players when I was growing up. So I followed the Knicks a lot. And the Garden is always exciting, even with reckless season, it's always exciting. It's always buzzing. And then we went to you know, when we went to Brooklyn the other day on Sunday to play the Liberty, it is just such a buzz man. It's like you don't know who's who. It's like you are looking around and you know, celebrity here and we're sitting next to celebrities. And got to meet Jason Sedeikis. He came over and said hello, hello, and met his sister, took a picture with her. Stan Ban Gundy came over with his daughter, who said she was a big fan of Asy and got a chance to take a picture with him have a conversation with him. It's like, coach, I'm a big fan of yours. I've been listening to you for a decade. So yeah, it was it was exciting for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean in New York, let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: One thing about New Yorkers, we all believe that we're celebrities. Like you'd be surprised it would be so many celebrities walking around or just existing in the space, and New Yorkers are kind of like used to it. I'm sure people have the same experience in LA, but I think that's super dope that you had to meet these people and you get to see like.
Speaker 3: Everyone's pretty normal, you know what I mean. Everyone. The thing that we all have in common is we're here for the sports.
Speaker 1: We're here for the basketball game, We're here to enjoy the culture, the New York City sports culture.
Speaker 3: So that is awesome.
Speaker 4: To see those people in the stands and people not bothering them, just leaving them alone. They're like normal people, you know, So that it is something to be said for that. You know, you guys are respecting people, respect their space, their time and energy, and allow them to be be normal fans as well.
Speaker 3: You know for sure.
Speaker 5: And you know security be tight, yes, they'd be tight, yes, especially in Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Come on, they never play.
Speaker 1: So speaking of you being in Brooklyn, you and Katie got to train at my gym. I see you rocking our hat the program and was see how is that? And I want to hear more about your other New York City activities.
Speaker 2: So first and.
Speaker 4: Foremost, if you don't know about the program, you better get with the program because that is a phenomenal space, you know for someone who has both Katie and I have aspired to own our own gym and to do something like what the program is doing. Providing the opportunity for kids to learn, train and and trainers going into the gym and bringing their clients in.
Speaker 2: It was amazing.
Speaker 4: So we get a chance on Saturday to show up and actually get to work with a few few kids in the area and that was awesome, you know, just being able to pop in and just get some knowledge to some of the kids. And you look around and everybody training the ball. There's a lot of trainers that look like they are all cookie cutter, but most of us trained differently and we trained different things. And Katie and I have been built from the foundation of you know, we're we're about development and trying to correct and trying to teach and trying to allow, you know, the kids a chance to grow their games and not so much of a hectic environment, just something that we're trying to teach. We're trying to give you something that you could take away for a long time and use it for years to come. So it was great being in the gym with kids and impartan some knowledge and some expertise on them and giving them a chance to show them some of the things that we taught easy along the way. So it was really really fun. Yeah, the rest of the weekend, we we kind of hung out. We hung out with Jack and Jonathan a Ton had some great meals. You you joined us for a couple of the meals or one or two of the meals or whatever, and uh, you know, it's kind of sucky because the rain, but you know, we were gonna we were playing on heading back home on Sunday, and then we kicked around and decided to stay over and overnight and come back Monday. Katie got a chance to train a couple more kids at the program again. But just just the vibe in the city on even a rainy holiday weekend was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to stay on the behalf of the program. You guys are always welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And I see that you've been holding a guest popping in and out. Yeah, tell us about about your special guests on your laugh.
Speaker 4: Well, she just jumped down, but let's say hi, Uh, this is Stewie. Stewe wanted to make a guest appearance because she said her mommy showed out on Sunday and she she blocked your namesake, Stewie.
Speaker 2: That was pretty good. That was pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: One thing that that truly amazed me about a Z is like, yes, she is a phenomenal officsive player, fire MIDI great, but her defensive game is super underrated. In my opinion, that blocking uh the former MVP, former champion like that as a rookie is insane, as any player is insane.
Speaker 3: So yeah, shout out to easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard not to not to get excited about some of the stuff and talk about it and you know, you hear everybody's talking about it, of Saint mentioned things, and but you also want to be respectful because Stewie is one of the goats, and and you know, of course if you come you kind of lum and one of our favorites. And things happen when you're in the court, and then the whole, the whole premises. You go out there and you compete, and whatever happens happens. And she happened to get a chance to defend her on a on a situation where she switched on her and did a down doing good job of fending off the basket and then got her hand on the ball at into the end of it and knocked it away and helped Dallas can kind of keep that that little cushing of a lead that they had. But yeah, it was, it was. It was unbelievable, and it's it's really surreal, even to this this point. It's only been about a month, but to see her on the floor and the court with some of the greats and the people that we've been watching, she's been watching for a long time, and we've been kind of day dreaming of this day coming. But it's here and it's like, it's not normal, it's just surreal. And then to see her how she played on Sunday in that environment in that game. One of the last things I said to her before the game, we send a little pregame text all the time, just to kind of just locking in on certain keys or whatever it is. And one of the last things I said to her was like, enjoy this environment. You know, this is kind of why we play the game. You go out in that environment, there's no reason to be You may you have that anxious jitters at first, but it's don't need to be nervous because you hear to play and once that ball goes up to playing and it is what it is. It's just basketball and you just out there competing ooping.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, absolutely, And she sure did. Oh she what have you texted? I need? But you gotta texted I every single time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: She makes me have to be diversify what I want to say, because I definitely want to be like, all right, copy paste, you know what, repeat rents and repeat, Let's do it again, you know, but now, no, no two games are alike. And hopefully for me, it's it's an opportunity to see her. And it's funny because the discourse with about Easy has been crazy online, which she doesn't she doesn't really see any of that stuff. She stays off of it. But you know, to see people debating whether she should be starting or which would coming off the bench eight, or you know, all the rookie of the year craziness that they're they're they're debating, and uh, and it is that people on debate that that's.
Speaker 2: The barbershop talk.
Speaker 4: But the one thing that that really like for me is that you know, she's achieved some of the loftiest goals. Number one draft pick and no one's ever going to be able to take that away like that. I don't care if basketball seas to exist tomorrow, that's always going to be her mention as the number one draft pick. And you could say that all the wood ups in the world, but that she gets to own that for the rest of her life and beyond. But also just the fact that you know, Easy is just a different kind of character, and you know this having worked with her, She's not about all of those individual accolades. That doesn't drive her, like it's not it's not what she plays for. She's a she's a connector. She's not necessarily a someone who's driven by you know that all the the individual stuff. As a matter of fact, that there's clips of her individual awards Yukon and handing the trophy off to her teammates because it's not what she plays for. She plays for them. She plays for them, and you can kind of see her kind of developing that rapport with her teammates in Dallas where that she wants to play for them, she wants them to be successful, and she went she plays because she's a winner and she wants to win championships.
Speaker 2: That's all. That's that's the driven driving force for her for sure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You know, let's just I on that note, I do want to know more about like what it was like for you coaching Asy as she was growing up, right, you were one of her first coaches ever, right, so tell us more about what it was like as coaching young as just.
Speaker 2: What you see as loves on her teammates.
Speaker 4: She that's what kind of calls her to fall in love with the game because of that camaraderie that she had with her teammates at a young age. She was so excited to show up on the weekend to play with her teammates, that experienced something with her teammates and and you know, slowly but surely we introduced work to her and doing a little bit extra and teaching her that just because you show up to practice doesn't mean that you're you know, you're just doing this, doing the bare minimum. You have to do a little bit extra every day to increase your your aptitude, your knowledge, your skill level and and your expertise. And sooner, uh, sooner or later, that becomes habit. And the habit is what she has in her instilled in her today that causes her to want to get that extra work in and continue to push herself and push those boundaries. But she is so driven by that camaraderie with her teammates and and wanting to have this common goal that you're working towards. It's it's that that's the epitome of who she is. And when you're coaching her, uh, she's she's so coachable to the point to a fault at times, like you tell her X Y and Z, She's going to work to do X, Y and Z and focus on that, uh, as opposed to working on a B and C off on her own. She's gonna work, worry about what you say, and and that's that's just who she is. And this is kind of the type of mentality. And she's always been that way, even as a young child, like she would she would she as a toddler, she'd be she'd had that we would.
Speaker 2: Call it the warm up period.
Speaker 4: She take wake up from a nap, and she'd be very social before the nap, and she'd wake up from a nap. She'd sit in our laps for like ten, fifteen, twenty minutes, and it was like then she would slowly come out of her shell and she'd be back social again. And you could see the same type of thing happening with her in the Dallas environment where she's been introduced to this new environment and she's like, Okay, let me see what this is about. Let me see how I can interact and relate and connect with my teammates. And as soon as that stuff starts to happen, she's like a flower that hits but the morning dew and the sun hits it and it just slowly opens up and you get that full, full, bossoming personality. That's the way I describe her. She's so slow up pomatic. Yeah, and you see it. You see that now, it's like all of a sudden, Okay, we're seven games in here, Okay, here, come there, here she is. She's starts starting to open up. And it's not something that we haven't seen all throughout her life and every every new environment that she's ever been in here, So it's really exciting to see.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I love seeing her get adjusted and starting to look and feel.
Speaker 3: Super comfortable out there.
Speaker 1: As her former coach or I guess she's still kind of coach her in this life. Yeah, how do you get the best out of easy on the court?
Speaker 2: You challenge her.
Speaker 4: You have to challenge her, and you have to always be willing to adapt those challenges. It can't just be concrete level of expectation, because she'll rise to it. She'll rise to a level of expectation, and you gotta you have to then adapt and adjustice and fix your expectations so that she continues to rise because uh, and then and it's like any any high level great player, they have this unique ability to rise to the occasion and and and to meet those challenges and meet those expectations. But that's that's the way I found it like we would be in the gym working out and uh, you know, we're just working on shooting or whatever, and I found that I started finding that she was getting bored throughout the workout. Okay, make ten shots from this spot. Okay, we're gonna do X, Y and Z, and you're gonna make You're gonna make seven shots here and then so you could see her eat like in the midst of shooting that, you know, making those ten shots halfway through.
Speaker 2: Her minds like like was wandering because this is too easy.
Speaker 4: And so now I'm it's like the smart kid in class that's bored, you know, and he's showing he's displaying negative behaviors or different behaviors. That's not that's unbecoming, right, But you have to challenge them to keep them focused.
Speaker 2: So we did.
Speaker 4: We had to start doing things differently, and we asked questions, how do you how do you challenge to certain players and college coaches right giving us advice and so everything was it's about winning and it's about competing. You have to you have to make this many shots right in this spot, six of eight from the from the corner three you have to do and then when you can make the six of eight and then next time around, I'll be like, Okay, we're gonna shooting corner three, all right, Uh, you gotta make five swishes in a row before we move to the next spot. And it'd be it'd be amazing how you could literally see her eyes, the sparkle in her eyes start to like and her eyes like narrow, the focus is narrow. It was like you could literally see her lock in on that goal and before you know it, she's in it.
Speaker 2: And it's like she's.
Speaker 4: Knocking shot off, the shot off, the shout out the shot, and it's like, okay, all right. So when she when she's challenged, it's like it's a it's almost like this barbado in her to like, Okay, you think you're gonna beat me, I'm gonna beat.
Speaker 2: You, you know. So you get a challenger one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. I love seeing the competitor of a Z.
Speaker 1: So, with the success of coaching your daughter, is that why you and Katie decided to build out GTS fusion?
Speaker 3: Tell us, yes, tell us what is GTS fusion?
Speaker 4: So let me let me start with the coaching piece, Like I never wanted to coach her because I'm a buthole man. I am not nice like I can I cannot be. I can be really tough. And as a young coach, I'll give you a story as a young coach. But then the first year we got married, I got my first head coaching job at an elite private school here in the DMV and I go to coach there and they want to have a national program. I recruit a bunch of kids I got. I got five international kids. I have kids from We were like forty five minutes west of the city. I have kids from the city driving that far out just go to school. We were really good. We were thirty three and one. So three the five international kids lived with us. We had we hosted them. Me and met Katie and Aisy. There was Asy's big first big brothers. That that was it. And I was really like so locked in on my craft and being a great coach and trying to be I wanted.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to be a college head coach, right, that was my goal.
Speaker 4: And so I I coached those kids on the court in the classroom at home. One kid you know that I coached, I mean he was he was Cameroonian, and he was like Chidsel with all the stone, didn't lift the weight, couldn't lift the weight, but could barely understand how the left weights. But he was like chiseled out of the stone. He was just naturally like strong, cut up and but he was kind of like not super motivated. He's lazy sometimes, and so I would I would see him lazily walk up the stairs at home, and I'd be like, that's it, That's exactly what you look like in the game last night. I was like, I'm doing something like that, and to a point where I was I was over the top with it. In retrospect, I was over the top with it, and I didn't know any better. I was a young coaching, eager, eager beaver. She's trying to get it done. And that's one of the only players I've ever coached it I've never I've never heard from him again, never heard from him again. So I didn't want to coach easy because I didn't want me coaching her to to bruin our follow dollar relationship. That was that was the most important thing for me. And so I was reluctant. And so she played for someone her first year playing. She was in the first grade. It was developmental basketball, but it was driving me crazy. And I was coaching in college at the time. I was coaching three hours away. I was living away from my family. I'd come on my days off, I'd go to the gym. I'd go watch her practice, and this coach would be the only coach in the gym, and she'd stand in the middle of the floor at the center of the jump ball circle and she would just scream out and struts to the kids. And I was like, yo, these kids are like for first two, third grade. You got to demonstrate for them, you know, you got to show them. They don't have any She's like calling out lines and they don't know where to go, and so and I, you know, me and Katie would go and we were like, just ask us to help, will help, Like we'll just go get a basket. Well, we'll mimic whatever you want to do if you need help. And she would never choose too arrogant. She never asked for help, and knowing that we were coaches, she knew she never did that. So I sent her my resume at the end of the first season. I said, hey, listen, it's my resume. I'm I'm interested in coaching the team, would you be interested in And she was. She was the president of the organization, and so she was like, you could coach the B team and you could take easy with you. I was like, okay, all right, and now mind you A was not good at the time, like she was just she was she loved her teammates, right, And I was like, so that's how you want to do it, okay. So someone had already offered me a head coach, coach a team while I was coaching in college and bringing her with me, and that's what we ended up doing. We end up leaving as and Katie was coaching in the same organization that we left, and so that's how I started coaching her. And so it was just out of a need to. I felt like she wasn't learning, she wasn't getting enough teaching, and I was like, well, I know I can teach her. Katie can teach her. So what kind of coaches or would be are we if we allow our kids to go through an environment where it's not based on teaching and instruction and development and growth. And so that's how I got involved. But I wanted it to be about her, not about me, And so I had to check my ego at the door and said, you know, I'm not going to like when we leave the gym, when we leave the court and we have our little group huddle at the end of a game or whatever, we're not rehashing this. We're not like talking about what happened, what she should do, should have done, what she didn't do.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be Dad.
Speaker 4: So it was a physical switch, and it became a thing of ours where I would come up to her and she's always hungry, always hungry, and we both love ice cream, right.
Speaker 2: Although she loves it more than me. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'd come up to her, I'm like, hey, you're hungry, and she yes, Or I'd be like, I want to go get somebo ice cream and she'd be like yeah. But that was a physical switch from me being coached to Dad and I'm not gonna I'm not screaming. I'm not we'll not screaming, but just yelling instructions or whatever it could be screaming. I said, I want to go back to Dad, and we're gonna we hold hands and walk out the door. That's that was the thing for us. That was will work our butts off while we're in the gym, when we're on the court, but when we leave, we we leave the business here and when we come back, we'll pick up where we left off. But we're not going to take that home with us. She may tell you different different stuff, but truthfully, very rarely, we very rarely had conversations in the car about what was going on, And if we did have a conversation, it was limited to like three or five minutes, max, and we moved on from it. And so that was that was my big thing so coach, but coaching her was I've coached other pros. You know, Kendall Marshall is one that comes to mind, who is one of the best players in our area, played in North Carolina, played in the NBA for about four or five years. You know, unbelievable talent, unbelievable ment, just mental abilities in terms of learning and understanding the game. And those two Hey and Asy are very similar in that regard. But you know, I never got the joy of coaching a kid like I got from coaching her. It was it was just different and just watching it, It's just it was just different.
Speaker 1: So, you know, that's awesome. Is GTS fusion still around? Is that something you and Katie still do?
Speaker 4: I forgot to answer that part GTS fusion is. So Katie is a basketball trainer by trade, and which I used to be with her, but I had to kind of take the route of going to the corporate job thing, get insurance for the family or whatever. At the two thousand and eight things got really crazy. So she trains. It's called her business is called Game Time Skills GTS, and so when we started to eventually two years in, we brought Easy's team under under the umbrella of the business, and instead of calling the Game Time Skills, we just called the GTS, and we just gave it GTS fusion. And everything we did, Yeah, I hated pink, but everything we did when they started plan was to allow her to the foster her, like being her environment, right. So our uniforms were pink. We had these pink leopard print tiger print shorts and on one side it was really like basic, but then you flip the other side with their reversibles and they were like this wild print uniforms and the kids loved it. You know, we were pink. You could everybody knew who we were because we went. We were there, the team was wearing pink.
Speaker 2: The pink.
Speaker 4: We were the only team wearing pink and in a you know, two hundred team tournament. And that's that's kind of how GTS came about, is just bringing it under the umbrella. We we trained the team, we coached the team. It was really holistic because as is such a connector in terms of connecting with her teammates. Her teammates were at our house all the time, they were having sleepovers at their house all the time. It was so her teammates became sisters and like extensions of our family. Uh to this day, like you know, we have our at her draft party, a bunch of those kids were now young women were there and it was just great to see and and hug them all. And one of them, uh to this day. Malou who lives in Dallas, works in Dallas, and she she calls me Dad to this day, and so she's like, hey, Dad, when you come into Dallas, you know, she'll asked those questions or Dad, I'm coming home. I'm gonna come see you. So it's we created this in Foster, this family environment that was built on development, holistic development of the obviously the basketball player, but the person as well. And I went on. I was coaching boys for a long time, but when they got to high school, I made a full on switch to girls and I went on the coach several of them in high school. Uh So it was it's been. It's been a quite a journey with her and her connection to people and been people become connected to us and part of our little group and our crew is you know that our crew runs deep.
Speaker 3: So that's a let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: It's always a packed house when it comes to the funds.
Speaker 4: Something to be said for that. There's something we said for that. I always I was joking with a guy yesterday while we were at the program, while Katie was training his daughter, and I said, you know, this is this is my way into heaven. You know, if I leave it up to everything else I've done, I'm gonna be like begging and begging on the door trying to get in, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's my way into heaven.
Speaker 4: Please. Yes, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: So you talked about you know, Asy's draft night and having on her friends and family there.
Speaker 3: I do want to talk a.
Speaker 1: Little bit about that night for you and the family and the emotions leading up. I mean, you've been in this, your baby girl's life, the entire basketball career, her entire basketball career, and to see her name being called that whole night in general, I do want to hear.
Speaker 3: Like your emotions and how that night went for you, Oh.
Speaker 4: Man, that that was an emotional world when surreal is the word that we use all the time, and I mean that's the best descriptor.
Speaker 2: It was just different and very emotional, very emotional.
Speaker 4: So obviously you we had come off the disappointing loss in the final four and how we played in the Final four in terms of Yukon on that South Carolina game, that was very disappointing. And you look at that and it's the culmination of her college career and I remember that my last moments of my college career. Is like a wealth of emotions hit you, a wave just drowns you almost right, So, like this is something you've been doing all along, all your life, and it's you're changing, right, and you don't realize. You know, you love in the environment, you know you love doing something, but you don't realize what it really means. To you until you're not with it anymore or they take it away from you. And you know, I went on to play after college, but it still was not the same. So we're all grieving from that process, and you're trust right into this draft process. And this year's draft was I would say that it was a competitive draft. You don't know what was going to happen. And couple that with, you know, the renegotiation of the CBA free agency that needed to happen, and you have this uncertainty about the draft that I don't think has ever existed in the in the history of the w You know, you got free agency happening in the week of the draft. As we're leading into the draft night, free agency is going on and people are signing with teams, and teams are evolving and changing rapidly, and you don't know how you fit where you fit. The one unique thing about Easy is that for me from the basketball evaluator and I lived ninety percent of the time, I'm a basketball coach. I'm basket I'm living the game. I'm talking the game. You know, when we talked to I talked to her. I just want to talk to the game sometimes and not just be that right. So ten percent of the time I'm in dad mode, and for me, it is an evaluate of talent. Her skill set is something that you know, I think a lot of the teams have not. Majority of the teams in the w needed it right or had a need for her skill set. And so you didn't know. You knew she was going to be in that top three picks or whatever it was, but you shouldn't know how it was going to work out with free agency, and so on draft day you know it, you don't. I have a very delicate palette. That's a great way of putting it that I'm very picky, and so I knew that they were not gonna go on sell Light or dervs at the UH at the pre draft thing and I was like, oh there, I don't have anything I like.
Speaker 2: So I went. I was like about three o'clock.
Speaker 4: I was like, I got to get something to eat, something heavy so that I'm not going to be hungry during this whole because I'm not going to be able to eat until after the draft, which turned out I didn't eat that eat there either at the draft party, and so I wouldn't got a burger right, right, around the corner from the hotel by myself, just sitting there and I'm there and I'm I'm doing deep dives on social media looking at stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Okay, is this is this really real?
Speaker 4: Is this?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: All this other stuff?
Speaker 4: And all of a sudden, as I'm waiting for my burger, Uh, I'm crying like someone like someone died. I was sitting there and I'm like just bawling by myself, just just wiping tears and just like so it was.
Speaker 2: It was very emotional.
Speaker 4: And I'm not a big crier, and I cry more now in my old age than I you know, I had a harder stone, but you know, I guess I'm softening up as I get older.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was. It was very emotional for sure.
Speaker 3: That's really beautiful.
Speaker 1: So Tim on Instagram, you said the WNBA draft after party was a blast, at least from what I can remember. So for you, what was the after party with the easiest friends, family and teammates?
Speaker 2: Like I could give you the first like thirty minutes of that. Uh, what is it like? The party was much you can remember? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like so, so I had the pre pre draft part and for those of you guys who don't have never done that stuff. You go to the draft, you're in the back room. There's a red carpet stuff or orange carpet stuff, and you can watch everybody walk out and the kids get interviewed by multitude of reporters. You see people you talk in the families. They have Vito dirs, they have some alcohol. I think had I had a beer. I was like, no, I'm not a big drinker. And so I was like, I might have a beer. It's just like, you know, the anxiety I could feel a kind of building, So I'm gonna just like settle my nerves or whatever, and that nerves are saying the anxiousness.
Speaker 2: Of the whole moment.
Speaker 4: So I had a beer and I was like, let me and I thought about the halfway through the beer, I said, let me not drink drinks this beer because they told us we cannot get up from those tables and that we're locked there until basically they release us. I said, so let me not drink too much because I don't want to have to go to the bathroom. And so you know, you break that seal, you're done. You're gonna be running into the bathroom. Left and right.
Speaker 2: So I had that little beer and it was like a Mike Ultra or whatever it was.
Speaker 4: And so then we we leave the after party after the I mean the draft, to go to the after party.
Speaker 2: Get to the after party, I could not move.
Speaker 4: I walked in and literally were I was greeted with by people that haven't seen in a long time, months, years, and then my former players, our former players, uh, friends, family. I couldn't even I couldn't make it to the bar. I wanted to get go, get a drink, like I don't drink a lot, but I was like, yeah, we're celebrating the night, let's go get it. And one of them, this is not even one of our players. So one of the kids who plays for one of our former players at Marymount University here in Arlington, Virginia, her girlfriend. They're cool, they work easy as camp. They've become like part of the crew, and she was like, can I get you a drink? Do you what do you want? I was like, I just I don't know what I want. Get me this and she ran and all night long, she says, I told her to do it. I didn't, she offered. Every time I looked at her, she was coming coming with like sometimes two in our hands. It was. It was just I didn't have to do it. I didn't go to the bar once, so mind you, I'm thinking, it's gonna be there's gonna be food in this place, so I get to eat something and that won't be as bad. Please there everybody ate the food. Before we got there, there was no food for us, and I was like, screw it. Usually I'd be complaining, like I'm hungry, I gotta get something neat. And it was so much fun just catching up with people, celebrating with people, uh, everybody smiling and telling the stories and reminiscing and enjoying the moment. I probably remember the first half hour forty five minutes of that party.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. And then I don't remember anything.
Speaker 4: I know we went to another spot after the party was that the time slot was over for the pop party.
Speaker 2: We went to some.
Speaker 4: Other hook a lounge. I don't know we, I don't know what the heck it was, but I do remember this piece vaguely. The ride to this place was the bumpiest ride I'd ever been on. And if you got have ever, maybe some of you guys and hopefully oh guys are old enough to drink your listeners. But if you've ever ever been shaking and stirred after drinking, you know that's that's not a good thing. It is not a good thing. So I got to I got to the out of the car. I'm like, okay, all right, we're out of the car. We're going right to the bar. I ordered two drinks. I got a drink for someone. I think it was the young lady who was getting me to drinks all night. I got a drink for her, got a drink for me, and I just stared at that drink, and I can That's when I first felt it. It was like, whoa, just slow down, big fella, you good, Just like, let let it, let it die, let it pass by.
Speaker 2: It'd be all right, you know, you don't have to drink that one right now, right.
Speaker 4: And so I sat there for about five to ten minutes, just convincing myself that it's gonna it's gonna pass. It's gonna be all right. You're cool, You're right. And then I said, I looked at Katy, I said I'll be back. I went out on the street and I was like, I'm about to lose it. So let me go somewhere where I'm not around anybody. I would lose it by myself. And funny, funny story, I don't know where we were when you were part of town where we end, I don't I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that place was. Anyway, it wasn't a bad part of town.
Speaker 4: But it was like I was on the street. I'm leaning on a street sign, and I'm just trying to convince myself just go ahead, it's okay, just.
Speaker 2: Let it go. You got it.
Speaker 4: You're by yourself, You're safe. And I'm sitting there and my knees a week I'm like buckling at the knees, and I'm like, you know, holding onto the street sign and oh man, waiting for all of the wretchedness to come out of me right. And all of a sudden, I looked behind me and this guy was sizing me up. I was like, wait a second, wait a second, Like, no, that's the wrong one. I was like, I stiff in my back, I stood up straight. I made sure he saw the all every bit of the six seven. You come over here, it's cause you got six ft seven to fight with, come on. But I was he I balled me up and down the street, went down one side. He went back up there. He checking on me. He was waiting for me to fall over because I was. I was seconds from being done with it, and I held I held onto it. Yeah, definitely, well I did forget most of it. I big remember. I remember the ending, I remember the beginning. The middle part is real mushy in the middle park.
Speaker 1: So you know, Acy's not the only professional basketball player in this family. Katie got drafted into the w n b A, and you also played professional basketball.
Speaker 3: Take us back and tell us a little bit more about your basketball beginnings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I tell you what. I'll give you a little quick one. Basketball. I'm lucky to be able to play basketball as long as I did. It was the worst sport I played. I was much better at football and baseball than I ever was at basketball basketball. I think in high school my freshman sophomore year, I was the last person picked on the fifteen roster and barely played. Like my mom went to all my have a twin sister. My mom went to all my my sister's games and didn't come to my games because I never played, and so it was my sophomore year, probably three quarters away through the season, we got blown out by one of our team, the local team, and I got to go in the game the last four minutes of the game. So you know, you get four minutes of garbage time. It's a bad it's a bad loss. It's either a bad win or a bad loss. So I go in the game, and you know, and coaches are great creatures of habit. We get wound into these rotations and playing people the same way. We all humans or creatures of habit, right, So my coach had done that, and I go in the game and four minutes ago, and I scored fourteen points or four minutes.
Speaker 2: From that point forward, I started starting.
Speaker 4: Oh back when I was growing up, you weren't very athletic early. You got your athleticism later. And the guys who got it early were you often way better than everybody else. And I was one of those late bloomers. Uncoordinated, goofy, couldn't walk in chew gum. At the same time, on the basketball court, it was really I was really goofy. But football great hands. I could catch anything that come to me. Baseball was pretty good. I had good hanging dye coordination with baseball, football basketball didn't have it, and so I had a late run in high school. Got offered about eight scholarships. Half of those were probably the two schools, and then I got one was to American University, which is eight miles from my house, and my mom liked me and Katie loved to watch us play, and so I was like, I'm gonna I'm gonna go to school right down the street from my house because my mom would be at my games and you know, she'll come over, she'll bring me food. I'm thinking of all the good things. And that's what I did. And when I got that scholarship ball for him, they were honest with me. They told me, they said, you're a project, but we had one scholarship when we wanted to offer it to you.
Speaker 2: And I said, Okay, I don't know what the heck that means, but I'll take it. And so.
Speaker 4: Just through my work ethic and my ability to compete at a high level, I turned that project's last person getting a scholarship on a roster to UH starting half of my freshman year, if I think it was something like that, and then being the third leading scorer of my sophomore year to leading the conference and scoring my junior year too, and senior year being one of the top scorers in the league. I had an injury and I played a fifth year. I fractured my kneecap and had to have surgery and it was had remove my tendon, put it back on and it came back out had I had a lot of tending night is coming back. So I wasn't quite the same the same. I didn't run quite the same for about a year and a half and it kind of skewed me a little bit in terms of potentially doing some other things with basketball. So I went overseas, played over there, and I played in My first stop was Holland and the Netherlands, and I had a terrible experience. Much like easy is today's. I was a connector. I connected with my teammates. I love being around my teammates. You turn to professional basketball, and I taught I had conversations with her about some of this stuff, like when you go turn pro, it is business and it's a different feel to it. It's not pure anymore, and it's not about the camaraderie of the team and the team doing it's about you have to handle your business or that next contract isn't coming.
Speaker 2: And I went over and dealt with a lot of the selfishness.
Speaker 4: From a professional standpoint from other players on the team, other Dutch players, and struggled my first year to the point where I was averaging like seven points a game and they expected us to average twenty and they sent me home to send me packing, and I was like, you know.
Speaker 2: What, screw that stuff.
Speaker 4: I had heard these horror stories, nightmares from some former teammates of mine au and guys who came before me, who played overseas, like yo, you got to go handle your business, make sure you get your numbers, or they're gonna send you home, blah blah blah blah. And it happened to me in my first year. So I was like, you know, I'm done with this. I'm done. I'm just gonna go be normal. I got a regular job. I had an accounting job at the Washington Hilton Hotel where Reagan was shot right in DC. And I didn't I didn't touch the ball for like four months. I didn't touch it. I was like, I'm done, you know. I was so disappointed by the experience, and one month. One time, my teammates and my friends and high school buddies like, yo, we're hooping the Nightma, why don't you come play play? I was like, man, all right, I'll come play. And I went out there, and when I tell you, I was terrible. I was terrible, so bad playing pick up because I didn't played in four months, out of shape, couldn't couldn't shoot, couldn't do anything, and pissed. I was pissed at myself. The next day, I was over over at AU, I was running sprints, I was working out on my own with you know, doing all this other stuff. Was I was just just to be good in the pickup game. That's all I wanted to do. Like I'm not gonna I'm not going out like that. And then I got this itch. I didn't like how it ended, so I was like, I'm playing again. Called my agent told him I was ready to play again, and he's like, uh, he got me a deal in Finland, which is kind of underrated for the level of basketball there and the level of play, but it was it was like high level stuff. The games are great. I ended up averaging like just under twenty a game. I think that second year and in the playoffs I averaged thirty three and fifteen and it was like I was I was just yeah, I just went. I was on another level, shot forty percent from three. I was just I was feeling the best I've ever felt. I mean, the most athletic I had felt in my career. Played in Spain, played, I ended up playing in like seventeen different countries. Wow, games in different seventeen. I've played in Venezuela for a little while. They're just a great experience, unbelievable, Like the game of basketball is taking me places that I never would have gone myself, this little country kid who in the DMV. You know, up to thirteen, I lived in the country. I moved to falls Church near the city. When I was thirteen years old. My mom got remarried, and I would have never had these experiences if it wasn't for the game of basketball. The ability to experience other people's cultures and appreciate other people's cultures and have this outlooked at. You know, doesn't matter what we all look like. We're not very differ much different from each other. Right, So I remember being in Spain. I wrecked my car and crazy experience just being dumb, young and dumb and doing stupid stuff. And I wrecked my car. And in Spain everything is manyana, or the Spanish culture is manyana, train kilo, no.
Speaker 2: No worries. Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Will turn into three months later. My car was still in the shop and they had give it back to me. So I was walking six miles a day. I would walking to my grocery store, picking up my groceries, walking home, walking to the gym in the morning to go get our workout in, walking back home, taking a siesta because siesta is a big thing there. Get the afternoon from like two to five it's nap time, and I'd go back to the gym for practice. At six in the evening, I'd walk back home. So I was walking six miles a day. I was like, man, I thought about it. I was like, I would never do this. If I was at home, I'd get in the car. I'd drive around the corner to go to seven to eleven. Right, So, just from just embracing the culture and just embentding yourself in situations that isn't normal, and just embracing the word, just the word of today, right, just kind of diving in and like being living like everybody else lives, right. It taught me so much more about myself, figuring out that I didn't need to be around a group of people to be okay, figuring out I'm okay being by myself and dealing with the loneliness, being homesick, and things of that nature. I had to force to find my way through all of that stuff to be able to do the things I wanted to do, and it was it was a time period in my life where I grew the most, for sure. But you you also played, So what was your experience overseas?
Speaker 1: Like listening to you even when we were talking about like getting into basketball late, being a late bloomer, we share a lot of similar experiences.
Speaker 3: Basketball was my least favorite sport.
Speaker 1: I played volleyball, I played softball, and I was much better at those things.
Speaker 3: But then I got to six.
Speaker 1: Two and my mom was like, uh ah, sweetheart, we go to college for free. There's other things you can be doing, because at the time, there weren't a lot of opportunities for like softball after college, or like volleyball after college. Obviously, now there's so many different leagues, but so really started to bloom in basketball, probably like my sophomore year as well, and then fast forward playing Division one at M Corpus Christi in South Texas and also getting injured tearing my ACL going through the do I still play basketball? This is really hard. A lot of people aren't the same, and the technology in twenty twenty six compared to when I was in college is like much much different, so the rehab it just felt like everything was just taking a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: But I still had basketball hopes and dreams.
Speaker 1: I knew for a fact that I was going to play professional basketball because I told myself that there was no other option and so that was my dream and I chased it, and that I was able to land in Malta, which was like a very small market team, but I was like, I'm just going to kill here. My agent was like, just do really well. You'll be able to go other places. And it definitely was a root awakening you get there, like like I believe myself to be a connector as well. I love hanging team camaraderie, all that kind of stuff, but there's really I'm not going to say there's none of that, but it is very much I'm showing up.
Speaker 3: Doing my job.
Speaker 1: I got to pay my bills doing this job, and I'm out. And a lot of these people are either from Malta, so they had their own lives and their families outside of this.
Speaker 3: So I had to learn how to be by myself.
Speaker 1: I had to learn that the expectation is you are the top scorer, top rebounder, top passer, top everything, and if you're not, you're going to get sent home. And I remember actually getting hurt when I was out there, and in the contract it was like if you sit out through games, you're gone.
Speaker 3: So having to figure out how to push through.
Speaker 1: So I don't lose my job, you know, and it really challenges you sometimes.
Speaker 3: With like do I really love this? Is this for me?
Speaker 1: But I told myself that this is just a temporary situation and I did do really well and then I had the opportunity to travel to my next team. Right I got to play in Germany, Czech Republic, you know, I played in Malta, and then the last place I played was Australia, which honestly was the best time.
Speaker 3: It was like night and day in comparison my.
Speaker 1: Experiences one Australia A lot more money to bigger market. I was more familiar with the culture, right. Everyone pretty much spoke English. It's warm there, it's hot there, and just everything. They had a new trip. It was like high level what you experience at the top colleges overseas, and everyone really invested in making the team better and winning. So I ended up, you know, playing for a bit and I loved it, but I definitely understand like, one, you got to get comfortable with being by yourself. Things are different and you can't just run home and family can't just show up, right, So you have to really grow up in that moment. Two, it is business one hundred percent. If you're not doing what you're supposed to do, you're going to get sent home, right Like I got hurt and I almost got sent home, but I figured it out. So I missed those three games. If we lose, it's one hundred percent you're fault. If you win, it's a team thing. So just learning, learning how to adjust playing abroad. But I think that experience is something I hold with me forever and I'm so happy, no regrets. And back then going to the league, I wanted to you know, I want to play in the W when I was younger, but at the time, the money that the girls were making in the W was less than what the girls were making overseas, and I also thought, like, I can go to a normal job and make more than what they were making in W. So I'm really glad to see that the girls are getting to the back now. So it's an opportunity to really be like you don't have to pick and choose, you.
Speaker 3: Can have it all essentially. But yeah, that's my overseas experience.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I didn't have anybody that could really kind of mentor me when I was over there, and I got discouraged because all I wanted to do was like, go get a tryout with the team. Any care if I'm obviously I cared if I made an NBA team, but I wanted to get a tryout because if I at least got a tryout, I made significantly more money when I went back overseas, And it was just hard navigating that my agent. My agent was an international agent, only he didn't do anything with the league, so just too connections and stuff like that. Even I felt like I had to do everything the hard way, which is I'm not complaining whatsoever. It is what it is, and you navigate that and you figure it out. But even when I got out of coaching and got I got got out of plane and got into coaching, all my coaches were out of the business at that point in time.
Speaker 2: So I had no easy way in, Like I didn't get to.
Speaker 4: Go coach my coach as as be a part of the staff or whatever. I had to prove myself to get opportunities to coach at the collegiate level.
Speaker 2: And it is what it is.
Speaker 4: But it was the same thing and over there, the same thing, to prove yourself over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: I remember my agent got mad at me. I was playing in Spain.
Speaker 4: I averaged like twenty eight and twelve, and and I had transitioned from being a five in high school a foreign college to playing the two and the three as a pro. And I was average in twenty eight and twelve, and I was like, look, I need to get I need to get a little bit more money.
Speaker 2: The next year, and he got mad at me.
Speaker 4: And dropped me from representing representing me because I was basically advocating for myself.
Speaker 2: The next year he came back and wanting to go to turn game.
Speaker 4: By the time, I was like, you know what, I just don't like I just don't like how this stuff works.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: It's everybody's in it for themselves and it's you can't there's no loyalty, absolutely, zer or loyalty, and that's not how we operate that as you know, that's our mentality. Yeah, absolutely, But they experience and playing over there and having all of that stuff happening and learning, growing, developing. I wouldn't change it for the world. I mean, if I could go back and do it again, I would definitely.
Speaker 1: Do it again, all right, Tim, So it is our time for what the fun of the week for the listeners or what the fund of week is?
Speaker 3: Something that happened this week that made you say, what the fud Do you want to go first? Or do you want me to go first?
Speaker 2: You go first?
Speaker 1: So, my what the fun of the week is? My New York next, are in the finals?
Speaker 3: Come on? Twenty seven years nineteen ninety nine?
Speaker 1: Was the last time, baby, we are bleeding blue and orange around here?
Speaker 4: Is that when John Starks went over eighteen or something crazy like that?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, we're not We're not talking about the past.
Speaker 4: That was my Eraine, that was that was I was rooting for the next to me went when he went over eighteen against the wasn't against the Rockets.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, let's go next.
Speaker 3: It's a great time to be a New Yorker.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like the next Like I like how they play. I love watching Jalen bront and play. But just not just him because he's super super really super good. It's that connection, that that building over connection. Man, those guys ball well together. Next next, there you go, there you go? All right, So my, what the fud of the week? What the what the fuck? What the fuck? I don't want to do it, but you know, I gotta do it. I don't have I have nothing else on my mind.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Don't do me like this, don't do like this.
Speaker 4: So what people don't understand is that that kid has so much in her that she just holds in the reserve tank. But when she came to the court hit that transition pull up three, I was like, what the fun? Where has that been? Like I've been waiting for that, you know what I'm saying that that's my what the fun of the week? That transition pull up three. Hopefully I can see a little bit more of that. It'd be awesome, awesome.
Speaker 3: That's a great what the fun? I'm gonna just say this because I know that people want to hear it.
Speaker 1: We'll have a little asterisk, a little in the air with the fun of the week.
Speaker 3: I was wearing a Liberty fit.
Speaker 1: At the Dallas Wings Liberty game, and that is the Internet's what the fun of the week?
Speaker 3: They want to hear y'all got it.
Speaker 1: I've been getting roasted the last week, and I stand by it, okay, because I still have my asy nails, and that's my girl and I always want her to do well. So I wasn't rooting against her, but I'm a New Yorker at heart. Okay, that's it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So were you were you like sad that the Liberty lost or were you happy that the Wings won? Or were you sad that the Liberty lost? Or when you're happy that Easy even showed out.
Speaker 3: I was that one.
Speaker 1: I was really happy As showed out, and then I was sad that the Liberty loss. But I always want As to show out, I said, you know, she asked, like we talked about this pregame, but also weeks ago, I was like, I always want you to have thirty forty fifty. I want you to always do well, and I want my Liberty to win. So I mean, listen, any other team, I'm like, let's get it. But you know, the Wings is the Wings and the Liberty are my team. So that's it.
Speaker 4: You know, you got to be happy for just what you see with from the Wings in general, just like young and up and coming and showing some some signs of potential growth. You know, still real early, we'll see what happens. And it was a stark difference from how we played that game at Atlanta and then how we played with New York. So you got to find some level of consistency in there. Hopefully it's the New York side of the game and not that that that last five minutes of that Atlanta game where it didn't look like we were in the ever in Atlanta game the.
Speaker 2: Way it felt.
Speaker 4: But hopefully, well we'll find some some some common ground and some consistency where we're playing well like we did on Sunday.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I will say the Wings when they're clicking all the cylinders, they're passing the water cutting and making moves. They are so fun to watch. They are electric. So yeah, I'm rooting for a great season for them.
Speaker 2: Likewise, wings up, how do you do it?
Speaker 3: Wings you do?
Speaker 1: Thanks?
Speaker 2: However you do it?
Speaker 1: Brings up Tim, Thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 3: This has been really awesome. Thank you. It's been a pleasure having you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Just so you know, this is not my first podcast. You know, I've been on podcasts.
Speaker 3: Oh, let us know.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been mentioning on podcasts for y'all. Y'all, y'all out there in the audience. Thirteen thirty. That's all you need to know. Thirteen thirty go find shout out Tim Fu fut around and find out thirteen thirty.
Speaker 3: Shout out Tim Fun.
Speaker 1: All Right, you guys, that's it for this episode of fut Around and find out with asy out. I have to close out the show. So don't forget to rate, review a, subscribe to fut Around, and find out wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Peace,