Speaker 1: Anybody who's worried about the level of motivation of this team, this organization. I think you could put those peers to rest that I think you're going to see, you know, a team that's looking to raise the bar in itself.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Welcome home for anxiety. I know that this was you took one for the team. You went over to the Giants to be a special informant just so you can bring back all of the goods to the Los Angeles Dodgers, where you belong. In all seriousness, though, welcome back. It's great to have you kind of just explain how this all all went down and why you're back with the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I appreciate all of that. Alan, It really is great to be back with the Dodgers. Obviously, great organization, one that I got to spend a few really fun and rewarding years with. You know, after being let go by the Giants at the end of last season, I got a few phone that was really nice to hear from people around the game, and you know, as I started thinking about what to do next, the chance to be back among familiar people in a familiar place, you know, even putting aside how incredibly successful the Dodgers organization has been and all the positives that come with that. For me, it was really about the people. It was about, you know, my personal professional relationship with with with Andrew, with Brandon Gomes, with a lot of the other people. And I just got to spend a couple of days in Arizona and it was, you know, a fun reunion with all those guys. So really just happy to be.
Speaker 3: Back farhand, pleasure to meet you, hoping hopefully we can collaborate and see some great things with this Dodgers team this year. I do want to ask you how much have you seen this team evolve since you left? Because I mean, you're looking at this offseason. Obviously you're kind of a cherry on top with everything in Clayton Kershaw at the end of it, But yeah, how much has this team evolved since you were last here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I was joking with Andrew and we talked really throughout the offseason on and off. Obviously he's had his handful with a bunch of things, and I joked that I just had to see how this offseason went before I signed back on. It's very may say the least but it really has evolved. I mean when I was here in twenty fifteen to twenty eighteen, we obviously had a lot of star players. You know, obviously Clayton Kershaw in his prime. You know, number of other guys, you know, your Corey Seekers and Justin Turners, and so there's been some turnover. I think the biggest thing is just you know, the mega star power on this roster with Shohy and Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts all guys that came to the Dodgers after I left, you know, so you have that superstar group and then you still have a really smart and discipline front office in terms of how they put the team around those guys, and you know, I think that's a big part of why d'ur in this group have been so successful.
Speaker 2: Farhan, you have other responsibilities as well, not just the Los Angeles Dodgers, but you're going to be working with Mark Walzer's other properties as well, Chelsea being one of those teams. How do you imagine the balance of work between all of the different major sports kind of what is your role with all of those properties?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's just gonna be People are probably going to be playing hot potato with me, just handing me around the tea. You know, when I start to annoy people that we'll be on to the next thing. But in all seriousness, it's very early on in the process. I'm still trying to get a lay of the land. You know. My first you know, job was just refamiliarizing with with the Dodgers, with the front office. They're obviously helping support them, and then you know, we'll take the other sports as they come. Obviously, Mark, Mark and his business partners have had an interest in expanding UH into other sports and I really look forward to learning more about that and getting to pitch in there. But that's just going to be a process. And you know, it obviously felt great to me to hear directly from Mark and his enthusiasm bringing me back, and you know the fact that he thinks I can help out with some of those other teams. But I think that'll just I'll just take that as it comes. That may be more of a slower process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you mentioned one of the big differences now compared to before is the star power. We had Andrew Friedman on this week and he talked about how really this offseason, the last two off seasons or those rare occasions were all the A plans kind of work out. We don't need to live too much in the past. But obviously the Giants had their fair share of near misses when it comes to big name free agents. What is the challenge in trying to get some of these players to kind of buy in and come to an organization, and where you think kind of maybe some things fell a little short with the Giants as where the Dodgers were able to sort of hit on just about everybody. When you look at that free agent off he's in signing list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously, I you know, have a close relationship with Andrew, but it still stings a little to hear him say how all of his plan is given it? You know, that's that's you know, not obviously how it always goes. There's thirty teams in Major League Baseball, and certainly whenever you're trying to attract the star player superstar player, you're competing against twenty nine teams. And you know, the sad reality is even finishing second or third doesn't cut it. You know, in fact, in a lot of ways that winds up being worse. When I think about my time with the Giants. Certainly we aimed high with some of the star players that we went after and obviously came short. But I think there were different reasons for all of those. Whether it had to do with the player's geographic preference in terms of his family where he felt the most comfortable, maybe the ballpark was a factor in some cases. And you know, again, I think where you are on your competitive cycle really determines, you know, how players look at your team. My first offseason, we talked a lot with Bryce Harper, and you know, Bruce bochie Hat pretty much made it known that it was his last year with the team, and so for Bryce, I think the concern of being part of an organization and transition really loomed large in his decision. So, you know, that really had nothing to do with geography. Other times, you might be coming off a down season and a player may question where's this team going to be next year, Where's this team going to be five years from now? So I think in every case it was different. And again, I in most cases, superstar players are going to go to their top choice, you know, and you may make a really good impression on them. They may be impressed with you. But you know, if you start the process in second or third place, it's hard to get to that top number. So I think it's a challenge. Is a challenge that all teams face. The Dodgers have obviously been incredibly successful. I mean, Ila is a place that's a huge attraction for players, especially guys from California, from the West coast. The team, the organization, the success that they've had, you know, and once you start building that momentum and you can create even more momentum, that's when you can really get on a run of executing Plan a's and obviously that's what Andrew and his crew have been able to do Farhan.
Speaker 2: Let's move forward the Dodgers. Obviously, you guys are looking to probably do a six man rotation just because of the quality of arms and the amount of arms that you have. It's not a great you know, it's a great problem to have, but with it comes some challenges for Mark Pryor and Josh Bart as far as managing the bullpen.
Speaker 3: How do you.
Speaker 2: Explain the calculus of pitching through one sixty two with an organization that's built for October? Like, what's the best route to go through right now. Is Dustin May being built up as a starter? Do you see him you know, or do you work with him as a bullpen arm? How does that work for you guys as a front office trying to figure out that balance in formula.
Speaker 1: Yeah, having had the pitcher and catcher kind of player review meetings a couple of days ago, this came up with a number of players, players coming back from injury, players who have the ability to start. But given the depth of the starting pitching, you know, especially with Kursh coming back just the most recent edition and you know, one of the deepest pitching of charge I think I've ever seen, and certainly other people have ever seen, there's gonna have to be some flexibility a lot of these players we talked about in terms of getting them stretched out early in the season and then seeing where the team need is. You know, does the starting pitching thin out a little bit where you need guys to continue to get stretched out, Does the starting pitching look really good and some of these guys may have to fill in the bullpen because obviously there's been a conversation about some of the relievers maybe being a little bit behind early in the season, guys who pitched a ton last year and just wanted to bring them back steadily and make sure that they're put in the best position from a health standpoint. So I think as you look get this, it's just always a good idea to have a lot of pitching and to be flexible as that plan plays through. I think one thing from a strategic standpoint that you have to keep in mind when you're doing a six man rotation, especially early on when Shohy probably is not going to be a part of that, is you've got a seven men bullpen, and that means you just can't match up strategically this way you would with a full pen and with pitchers more stretched out. So you might see more multi inning relievers early in the season because you just need guys to pick up bigger chunks with a shorter pen and with the starters maybe not fully stretched out.
Speaker 3: Kind of piggybacking off of that, we saw the news yesterday a couple of guys behind schedule at least at the start of camp, Evan Phillips and Michael Kopek. Is the team kind of really concerned about those dudes? Are we kind of letting the first few weeks of spring training dictate our level of concerns.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, I think it's having the luxury of depth and a lot of young guys who have the opportunity to fill in early in the season. You know, I'm you know, in my advisory role. Those aren't going to be decisions that that I'm that I'm gonna make. As Andrew likes to say, you know, we had a really serious negotiation about whether to go with special advisor or ordinary advisor. So that should tell you a little bit about my level of influence. But again, I actually, you know, throughout my career, I think it's you know, when you have injuries, it creates opportunities for young players. It creates opportunities to kind of deepen your bench, you know, your quote unquote bench it. But that holds true for leaf pitchers also, and from the outside looking in, some of the young arms in this organization that might otherwise be slated for Triple A are guys that would be on the big league roster in many other places. So hopefully they take that opportunity early in the season and run with it, and it gives you the chance to, you know, be more conservative with some of these guys that pitched a lot last season, including in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Farhun, You've been around this game a very long time. One of the best baseball minds in the sport. Are the Dodgers bad for baseball?
Speaker 1: You know, maybe it has to do with my own competitive spirit, which might surprise people, But you know, I'm the type of person that when I'm playing a pickup basketball game, i might be on a team that's lost eight games in a row, and I always want to run it back and play the same thing. Sometimes I think I would annoy my teammates with wanting to do that. So I mean, if you're a competitor, you want to compete with the best, And throughout my tenure with the Giants, I never felt like it was unfair. I never felt like the Dodgers were an overly stacked team. I was kind of like, bring it on and look, we had NIG success, There's no question about that. But I think when the best teams, best organizations are raising the bar that to bring out the best in other organizations, I think that's good for the sports. So again that's my you know, people might view that as my take. Now that I'm back with the Dodgers. But honestly, was how I felt was that I was in San Francisco too, So hopefully we see that, you know, we see the bar being raised for teams around the game. I think that is ultimately going to be great for the sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we saw the bar really raised in the NL West this offseason. Kind of talk about the competition that Dodgers will be facing this coming season. Arizona looking great, obviously, San Francisco made some moves, the Padres kind of making some move late moves late. What can you tell us about how the Dodgers are viewing these other organizations and how good is it for teams around the Dodgers to kind of help it was it raising tide, raises all boats or all ships or whatever the saying is, it helps the Dodgers. It feels like to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, you're the hunted in this division, right with the success that the team has had for so many years in a rod go into the playoffs, so many division titles, all of those teams are gunning for the top. Obviously, there's been this great rivalry with the Padres over the last few years. That team's gonna look really different. But Aj Peller does a great job there, and we've seen a flurry of late signings as they you know, try to catch up and make up for some of the losses they've had this offseason. Diamondbacks landing Corbyn Burns I thought was huge, getting Josh Neeler from Cleveland, a tremendous bat. You know, they're always reinventing themselves and a very competitive team. I thought the Giants did a great job landing Willie Adamis. That's been a hole for the organization for a while. He's one of the top short stops in the game, and you know, be really interesting to see how Justin Verlander does leading that young staff. I mean, one of the things that I felt during my time there was there was a good pipeline of young pitchers. They've got a group of young pitchers that could wind up working their way into the rotation and having a veteran like that lead them really helps. And Colorado's just had the steady stream of young players. Obviously, Bill Schmid has a scouting background. They're trying to get guys, you know, through the draft, through the minor leagues and up to the major league. Ross sure and that's always a tough place to go, as the Dodgers know, as ied my time with the Giants. You know, going to Cores, you're always in for a fight. So it's a fun division. I think it's the best division in baseball. It's really competitive, and you know, it's one of the tough things for me about bouncing back and forth between teams. It's like the competition is so staff that you get caught the crossfire a little bit. But you know, in some ways, I wouldn't have it any other way. It's fun to be where the action is far before.
Speaker 2: We let you go just one quick one. How does a World Series team that knocked out the big bag New York Yankees in five games? How does a World Series championship team get better?
Speaker 1: It was really interesting for me being around the last couple of days, and again, a lot of the players are different, a lot of the players, a few of the players are the same. I mean, I it's kind of reunited with guys like Clayton Kershawn and Max Munsey and Austin Barnes and obviously a couple of our giants from last year twenty twenty four, Blake Snell Michael Conforto are with the Dodgers now. I just sensed like just great purpose and motivation and above all, just the level of humility and recognizing how challenging this sport is, how much of a challenge is to sort of roll that boulder up the mountain every season, how every season is different. So I just saw an incredibly motivated group of players, staff organization that recognized the challenge ahead and aren't going to take anything for granted. And I wouldn't expect anything less. But anybody who's worried about the level of motivation of this team, this organization, I think you could put those fears to rest. I think you're going to see, you know, a team that's looking to raise the bar in itself. I heard some of Andrews interview and him talking about the bar that this organization needs to set for itself, and you really see that everywhere you look when you go into camp.
Speaker 3: That is far anxiety the special advisor or the average advisor. To thank you, Mark Walder and the Los Angeles Dodgers farhead, we appreciate the time, looking forward to hopefully you getting a ring with this team in twenty twenty five and appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: Again, thanks so much. Great talking to you guys.
Speaker 3: Guys, thank you for watching, thank you for listening. Hopefully subscribe to our channel, give the video a like, share with your friends, share with your grandma, Share with Alana just in case she's not subscribed, and please do rate and review our podcast on all the podcast platforms. That really helps us out and helps grow the channel. Here in season two of DT.
Speaker 2: Yes and thank you to far Anxiety for being on the show. Go Dodgers Clinton, I'll see on Monday.
Speaker 3: Byie Gyobye