Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Cutting the Distance podcast. I'm Dirk Durham and this week I have a guest who is someone I've been following on Instagram for years. He's a motivational speaker and his attitude on life is contagious. Anytime I start thinking that I cannot physically do something, my mind drifts to Sydney and I'm motivated to try harder. Sidney Smith, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey Derk, thank you so much. This is exciting. I've been following you for a long time too, so yeah, yeah, and you motivate me. Oh that's that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Man, that's I don't know, I don't know. I don't even know how that's possible.
Speaker 2: But that's one thing. You never know who you're motivating. So it's important always share your story because well, person told me your story maybe another person's survival guide. So yeah, that's that's true. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I had I had someone tell me that years ago. They're like, there's someone out there that you maybe you barely even know them, but you've impacted their life somehow, some way, just even by meeting them, greeting them and having a simple conversation, you've probably impacted someone's life to where they think about that moment or that that whatever it was that you told them or the conversation or whatever it was, they think about that a lot, and that gives them a reason. So yeah, that's I think we kind of all get kind of muddled down in our own little bs of our daily lives, and we kind of like forget about those kind of things. But but then I start thinking, like you know, all the little things like when I'm feeling down in the dumps or whatever, I start thinking about the things that someone or something has happened. That that's that's makes me like shake it off or whatever.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, no, I've had that, like even years and years, Like I'll speak out of school and they'll be like five or six years later, you know, they're all grown up with two kids, and they told me, say, I remember when you spoke at our middle school and you I just in this story and this and this really changed my life. Here. I was like, I had no idea. I had no idea. You can make impacts on people's lives. So that's that's very true. It could be infectious.
Speaker 1: So we'll good, that's incredible, So tell tell our listeners. Uh, tell, take us down the path of your story of how you even became a motivational speaker.
Speaker 2: Well, it's something fairly newish, like it kind of fell into my lap. When I was in college, I had to take one elective course that you know, just to pass, you know, and to get my degree, and so I had to pick some course out there, and I chose public speaking because they said that was the easiest. And I had straight a's through college except for one class, and it was freaking public speaking. Because I'm like, I hate public speaking. Everyone says it was easy, but I'm like, yeah, but you got to do something I absolutely hate, you know. I hate talking in church, I hate speaking in front of people. And so I ended up getting like a C in that class. But it's still it's still better to me. But what ended up happening is is, uh, you know, I never I said I'll never speak again. This is, you know, dumb. I'm glad I got that off my list. It was just to get credit for a class. And then turns out that in twenty fifteen I had my legs amputated due to complications to a disease I was born with called Charco Marie Tooth and just a backstory with that. You know, it's it's something that's a progressive muscular distripty, something I gained genetically sometime down the road, and it progressed heavily in deforming my feet to the point where I couldn't function. Then I couldn't do the things I love, such as hunting and fishing, hiking and all that stuff. And then when I hit about thirty three, doctors kind of gave me an ultimatum saying, you know, we coul get a wheelchair or we could try you know, amputation and see what prosthetics will do. So in twenty fifteen, I did this surgery, and you know, it was hard, you know, changed my life. Obviously, it was a big decision, But in the long run, it was the best decision I've ever made because I've had so many amazing things happen in my life that's blessed me and my family and has taught me things about you know, gratitude and things to be grateful for and how you know, God gives us certain trials in life to make a stronger individuals and purpose to help other people that are also struggling and to be the example to others. And so yeah, I just caught the fire after that point. And someone suggested that I speak to a group of cub Scouts and telling my story. And I said, okay, I'll talk to these you know, ten year old boys and telling my story and the challenges that I've overcame and the things that I've accomplished. And it felt good. And next thing, I know, you know, a couple of schools started reaching out and and then before you know it, I started going, you know, traveling all over the country. It's not something I do full time. I have a nine to five. It's just something I enjoy doing. And uh, it's it's been a blessing in my life to share my story. So that's where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Man, that's awesome to Probably one of the hardest things of that whole story is back to what you were saying about public speaking. I mean, I think for a lot of us that's really hard. I know for me, I struggle public speaking too. I get nervous and I'm always always my worst critic, of course, but it's it's great, like you're like overcoming a lot of hurdles a lot of us have on a daily basis, right, you know, back to when you had to have your legs amputated. I mean that, like that whole process has got to be like so.
Speaker 2: Impactful. It's not just like, oh I just cut off a hangnail. This is something that's.
Speaker 1: Like like just the healing time of becoming to where you know you're where you were amputated, to get that to heal and to be like not painful all the time, and then to try to like dig out of the there's got to be some depths of depths of despair there too, Right, how did how do you find how did you find your way out of such a dark place and into the light after that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you nol that it it's not it takes time. It's not like I woke up out of the hospital bed and been like, okay, I'm I'm ready to to to go kill an elk or do an ironman or something like that. It it at first, it was actually really difficult to the especially the day of the surgery, to wake up. And I remember I was in the hospital bed and I looked themder the sheets, and you know, sure enough I knew this day was coming. And it was always kind of a surreal moment, but to actually see gone it was it was hard. You know, there was tears in the hospital bed and knowing that, you know, I won't be able to feel cold grass and the sand beneath my pose, and and you know, the fear of the unknown, like am I gonna do activities such as hunting and fishing and the things I love, play with my kids, keep a job. And then my wife came into the hospital room, and you know, I'm still down on myself, and I'm telling her, you know, I'm sorry, this is now a burden on you. I was just thinking, you know, you, you might as well just go ahead and leave me, honey. I totally won't judge you for that, And she says, you know I could, but the doctor gave us this handicapped parking pass and now that, uh, we can get excellent parking at Walmart. I don't see any reason why I would leave you. So, uh, there's there's a there's a light at the end of the tunnel. But that's back to your back to your question, where do you find, you know, to get out of the dooms of stuff like that? Uh, you know, for me, it it was hard to accept the fact that life is going to be harder at first, and I just overall, I'm trying to be a kind person, and ultimately I felt guilty that I was a burden to everybody, and so, you know, the thoughts of a suicide came in pretty heavy towards at the beginning. But then, you know something that I with this disease. I've always felt like life is not fair, but it's just the way it is, and you know, you have to live with that. And for me, I've thought, you know, maybe this, you know, why did God give me this challenge? And you know it's not fair, but you know, I still have to live with it, and I have to have a positive attitude. And when I was thinking of suicide and you know, all these awful thoughts, I still had a young family at the time, and I had a little daughter. She's now ten years old, but she was just learning how to walk, and ironically we're learning to walk together. Oh wow. And I just remember learning to walk with my prosthetics and she's learning to walk at the same time. It just dawned on me that you know, it may not be fair that I had gotten this disease, but to her it's not fair that they she'd have a dad that may end his life. And I can't control my disease, but I can control the outcome of my daughter. And so it just kind of clicked that the purpose of life is a lot different than what I thought at that moment. It's not all about me. It's all about Noah, my kids, and and everyone else as well. And so I just knew I had to combat this fear and anger that I had towards this disease in my situation and find myself out of it. And so I heard at church one time the opposite of fear is faith. That is the antidote. But they work the same way. Where you can't see fear and you can't see faith, but if in your mind, if you have a belief in one and grow and develop that, nurseh you know, the fear or the faith, one has a positive aspect and one has a negative aspect. And so I what really started it all was just faith. Is that I had to believe that I was going to get better, that God has a plan for me. I'm going to trust in him that He's gonna provide me a life that's going to be worth you know, hanging on and that's where it all began. And I just kept believing that and exercising that faith to where it's turned into something beautiful and strong. Yeah, that's awesome. It kind of reminds me.
Speaker 1: I hate to be so cliche, but it reminds me of a saying I seen on Instagram, and it said, we all have two wolves inside, and you know, a good one and a bad one, you know, and whichever one you feed will grow, right, So that kind of goes right back to what you said, you know, you either feed your faith or you feed your fears. And I can, yeah, I can definitely see that. It seems like negative thoughts. If you're dwelling on negative then more negative comes. And if you're dwelling on positive things and you know, keeping the you know, shutting out the negative stuff just kind of keeps you on track. So just overcoming, you know, the part of losing your legs and and trying to find a way to live a normal life again. Now that's one thing which is remarkable that in itself, to me, is is motivating. But then I look at a lot of the other things you do. You you go hiking in the mountains, you go elk hunting, you've competed in iron Man, you've competed in triathlon, you've you've been in a body building competition. I mean, I mean, you've just checked off a lot of boxes that like to do one of those in a normal person's life would be like an accomplishment, right that like a bucket list accomplishment. You you are checking all these boxes and people might think or see like you know, no, nobody sees the hard work, right, no matter what anyone does, they always see the outcome, like the result, like you know, a successful el kint summit on a mountain, you've you've you've hiked up to or or you know your your your body condition at the end of training for a body competition. But the day in, day out training and grueling to get from point zero to to the to the goal that is that's that's the real stuff. And I feel like not everybody gets to see that, And what are your opinions on that? Like you have you probably have put in so much work that nobody will ever see, and overcame a lot of little things, like little things we take for granted on a day to day just to accomplished those those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it I My wife is uh to the point now it's like, hey, when are you just gonna sit back and relax honestly, and uh, I My personality is just consist where I have to be doing something new. It just keeps my mind out of the gutter. I like challenges. I like things that are going to test my body to the limits. But that's that's part of the fun. Like, for example, in the Iron Man, that was still to this date the hardest thing I've ever done was an iron Man. But the race itself it was hard, but that wasn't the hardest part. The hardest part was all the training. I had an infection six months prior to the race that almost put me out where I you know, they had to drain all go in there and cut into my limb and drain all the infection just you know, twenty plus hours of a week of just training every Saturday completely on my bike or swimming eight or nine hours and then eating. Just in doing that for a year straight, that was difficult. Like even hunting season. It was frustrating when I wanted to go hunting, but I had to to go run first, and so that little stuff like that. That was the hard part. But that's you know, if it wasn't if it was easy, then everybody would do it. That's that's the part that is rewarding, is that that grind. And uh, I mean, just to answer your question, it's not easy, but that's what makes it worth it. That's what really is going to change as an individual, because if it was easy, then then you wouldn't see this, you wouldn't have the desire, wouldn't be as cool for you. Rewarding, Yeah, absolutely. I feel like it's proof to the thought that human humans are capable of amazing things in and our abilities are way further than what we first you know, the first little stop our brain says, oh, I think we're done.
Speaker 1: I feel like we are capable of so much more than past that first little speed bump.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You you talked about, you know, having that infection six months before your your race, and like how many how many of us during elk season have gotten like an ingrown toenail or a little blister on her foot or something like, oh man, I don't know if.
Speaker 2: I can go down to the hell all the day. It's and you know, it's it hurts.
Speaker 1: It's it's you know, or you know, there's always like some little little thing that that's difficult, that's not easy, that like will derail a lot of people. Like I feel like you're saying six months before that you almost derailed by having that infection. It wasn't just a simple little thing. It's like a lot, you know. And then to stay the course, do you just like what do you what do you focus on to stay on that course? Do you'd like sit there like looking at that set back and think, what is your mind? What's your mindset?
Speaker 2: Are you saying?
Speaker 1: Are you saying, Okay, just we're gonna get through this. You know, it's gonna be fine. We're just gonna as soon as soon as I can get this healed up, I'm gonna start working hard again to accomplish this. What what what do you tell yourself to get there?
Speaker 2: Then it's gonna be worth it. Like that's that's the goal right there, It's gonna be worth it. And I don't I think the older I've gotten, you know, I'm now in my forties, the thing that's hardest to live with being older is regrets. Right, That's just something I just find I don't doesn't go away. And when I had that infection, you know, ultimately I talked to my coach and my doctor. I says, okay, I'm out for a few, you know, six weeks. I can't train. I basically has started all my endurance over. You know, what do I do? And and I thought about it, prayed about it, and this was this was in twenty nineteen when I did this race, and so I was like, well, maybe I'll push the race into twenty twenty, Like what's the worst that can happen in twenty twenty. And as you can see, I decided not to go that route. And had I done, you know, then the race of twenty twenty would have been canceled because of COVID, and then who knows what other things could have happened in my life that would have completely derailed me from the race. So I just said, you know what, it's going to be worth it. I'm going to give it my best, because I'm not going to regret it if I don't give my best. If I don't finish, that's one thing. I could always sign up and do this again. But if I if I don't even show up to the course, and don't even try. Then it's it's not going to be rewarding, because that's that's where it is. Same thing. Like like we talked about elk hunting that this last fall or this current fall, sorry that we're in, I guess it's still fall. I just shot an elk last month and my biggest bull to date. You know, I'm super stoked about it. But when I shot him, I shot him down at the bottom of this canyon and it you know, I knew when I saw him he's one of those bulls you just don't be like, well, he's too hard to get. I'm not going to pass. I mean, this is a once in a lifetime thing by far, And I went and I shot him, and and the best thing about elk cunning is having buddies with you because then you feel confident getting him out of there. Right. Sure, we spend all day breaking him down and you know, boning him out and getting him up the hill. And you know, my buddy was like, you know, you should have shot him from the road or you know, to see if he would have came up the road. But I look back at it now, I was like, I'm glad that he was in the worst hell hole. Otherwise this reward wouldn't be as as great. I mean, it would felt like I mean, don't get me wrong. If they're sitting on the road, that's awesome. But at the same time, just to earn that bull has now made it more of a memory and every you know, this is my first bull that I'm actually going to mount, and now I will remember that elk and that experience of the pack out more than just you know, if I were to shoot him on the road, and so it's got to be worth it and that those are the moments you got to live for. Otherwise having regret, it's just an awful thing to have. Absolutely, yeah, yeah, living with regret it sucks. I know. Over the years, I've been elk.
Speaker 1: Hunting, deer hunting for thirty I don't even know thirty five, forty forty years, but thirty five plus years, and like there's some some times I can think back to where I didn't give up my all or I gave up on whatever, and then I had to live with that regret for a whole nother year. But then it's not just another year. It's it's that one little thing that always like gnaws at your the back of your mind. I to this day there's still someone some do overs. I really wish I could of just because I gave up, you know. You know, I like to talk a big game and say, you know, don't ever give up. But that's a lot of that is me talking to myself, don't ever give up. I have to give myself that my pep talk every now and then because it, Yeah, you do face hard, hard hunts or hard things, and it's like, well, do you want to you know, you want to think about this for the you want to carry that monkey on the back of your back for the next year or the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: So yeah that I can definitely see see that you don't want to live with regrets. How hard was it to relearn to walk?
Speaker 2: I can only imagine, just be.
Speaker 1: It's got to be a whole new process versus like and I hate to even compare this, but I had ankle surgery here a couple of years ago, and I had to go into a bunch of physical therapy and I could walk, but it wasn't right, you know, I had to they had to show me how to do it right. So I would learn how to use that ankle again properly, but with muscles that I've used in the past to walk. Now I can imagine everything is different now with prosthetic limbs, with prosthetic legs to walk, you're using some of the same muscles but differently, and there's probably some other muscles that coming into into play to learn how to walk.
Speaker 2: What was that like? Well, it it is different for like a single amputee versus a double amputee. Like a single amputee guys that I've I've hunted with with my charity, they they struggle with like the fatiguing and then the other leg. For me, where my struggles is because I don't have an ankle, a lot of my stability comes into my knees and my hips, Okay, and so one of the things you know, when I train at the gym, those are things I like to focus on, is you know, stability on my hips, mostly because that's what's gonna help with my walking. But to answer your question, like how hard was it to learn to walk? You know, prior to having my legs amputated, I wore those forest gump braces, those big metal things, and so you know, ironically, I got those braces when that movie came out, and so everybody at the playground would always say, you know, run Sydney Run. So that's and I still have those braces. But because of those braces, they actually kind of helped me understand the mechanics of relying on a device. And so I actually picked up pretty well on the prosthetic, but I still had pain. Like when you first lose your limb, your your your limb is huge and it's got to loose size. And then your they change the shape of your socket that go you know, the socket goes around your limb and that changes, and then you have to have soft because throughout the day the volume can change based off like sweat, your diet, inflammation that your calf muscle because it's got a atrophy completely. And then it was about probably going this yo yo about a whole year. Did I feel confident where I could walk throughout the whole day and not have any pain. And then when it came to hunting, that was you know another element because now I'm adding pressure on my back, which is more weight inside my socket, which is you know, this hard carb fiber. So I got to adjust to that I'm more top heavy, and so the carbon fiber has a different response based on my weight, and so I got to adjust to that. Sissy sticks. I know Bryce Bishop with the Peaks equipment. He got me some of those trekking poles. Yeah, I use those for hunting, even when you know the trail is actually not treacherous. I still like that. But you know, challenges for me. You know, a sage brush because I can't feel the ground. I can't feel when that sage brush grabs your feet, you know, because I'm trying to scan scan the horizon, trying to look for animals. Uh steep going downhill just because my my toe doesn't flex downwards, so I'm basically walking on the edge of my heel. That's kind of hard. Uh goll league upheels nice because that my my foot's down, you know, kind of digging in anyways because it's flat, right. But yeah, that's that's kind of the gist of prosthetics. It could take a beating. I I've had experiences where I've broken my prosthetic in the mountains. You know, I get blisters, I get sores, just like everybody else. It's just in different places. Yeah, do you do you once you kind of once you get I would assume it's just like anything, the more you use it, the tougher it gets. Right.
Speaker 1: So you know, if you're if you're training for one of like a marathon or whatever, training for elk hunt maybe if you've been sedentary for a little while and then like, okay, I'm gonna start picking up my training here, I would assume like you probably in the beginning start having some blisters, but then you will it'll like things can target toughening up right. You know, by the time elk seasons there, it's pretty good. But then you get on some other train and you may experience some other other other issues with blisters, but it probably develops more of a callus there. Eventually probably use it and lose it, or use it or lose it.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I mean the beginning, like you taw archery season starts in August, and you can't to replicate, you know, to train for hunting. The best way to train for hunting is go more hunting, go hunting more, I guess, And so usually August is when it's like those first few hikes or you know, oh that kind of hurt and then by the time I'm hunting in October November, I'm a row But yeah it uh, I would say, yeah, the blisters are pretty much healed and calloused over and and my muscles are you know, a little better shape for for for hiking. So it it's just like, yeah, just like anybody else.
Speaker 1: So now bodybuilding, you shared some some pictures and your bodybuilding story on Instagram and I didn't even know you were training for that, and then you showed your before and after pictures and I was like, holy cow, Like what a what a transformation? An incredible transformation, And like working out a lot is is one thing, but then there's got to be an insane diet control, you know, to get into that kind of in that kind of shape to look like that.
Speaker 2: Can you talk about your your training and then also your diet working for your for body your bodybuilding competition. Yeah, yeah, you're not the first person that says, WHOA, I didn't even know you were doing this, And there was a reason for that.
Speaker 3: Like it, I I was playing basketball about a year ago and I tore my mcl and you know, I couldn't run and do the you know basketball for a while.
Speaker 2: So I decided to hit the weights, and I just enjoyed, you know, lifting weights in the iron and talking to guys at the gym and seeing that you know, they've done you know, bodybuilding shows. And I just kind of asked, you know, what do I do help me? What do I need to do? I'm curious about it. And so my biggest demise is I can exercise all day long, but when it comes to food, I love to cook, I love to smoke, I love to to Food is a social thing for me, and I eat, you know, poorly most of the time. Right, So that I knew that was going to be the hardest. Every time I tried to lose weight for something, it's it's always the pizza and the cookies that end up getting after me. The smoked meats, oh yeah, the smoked meats. So I just I just decided, you know what, this is kind of a new iron Man for me. It's something I you know, it's it's in good puts me in a good headspace to have a goal that's hard in mind. And so I just told myself, I'm going to do a show in October and and and go for there. So how it looked out, I gave myself about a year to prep for this show. I was two thirty six when I started, and it just what it looked like was in the beginning, I would, you know, eat high proteins. My calories would be pretty high, about thirty five hundred, and I just have a high protein to try to bulk up, tried to get strong, lift heavy, and then I continued that from about oh December till May ish is when I started what they call the cut. And so I figured out, you know, how much weight or how many calories I needed to cut back before I started losing weight and then minus five hundred calories. So I kind of measured everything that I ate, weighted everything that I ate, logged everything that I ate, and then I watched my scale. If I started losing weight, then that's what I knew where I was supposed to be. So I went from like thirty five hundred calories to twenty five hundred calories and then I kept that for a while and I was hoping to lose about a pound and a pound and a half, and then I dropped to two thousand calories because sometimes I would plateau, but I for food wise, I ate probably a whole elk all by myself because elk has the best protein per calorie ratio, and when you're trying to keep for calories low and your protein's high, like for my macros, if I weighed about two hundred and twenty pounds, I wanted to try to eat two hundred and forty grands of protein, which is that's a lot of food. And so you know with you know, mountain hoops, protein shakes and elk, and I fish a lot, so I caught, you know, kept all of my fish that I would catch. I just kind of developed a diet. I got a little creative with like different egg whites and chicken, but ultimately I had to cut out the things I loved, which was pork, you know, you know, starchy foods, bread, you know, heavy breads, pizzas, sugar, soda, all that. And that was the hardest part of the bodybuilding show. Actually the muscles. There are just muscles that I had. I don't think I really grew any stronger. I didn't get stronger in the gym. It's just when you lose all that weight from doing all calorie deficit, that's when it shows up. And that is the hardest part is just the food. So were you did you avoid carbs at all costs or were you mixing in some carbs some like clean stuff. I do what they call a carb rotation or so on leg day and back day, which were my largest groups of muscles that I was exercising, I would have more carbs. But ultimately the goal was to be about one hundred carbs for the day, except for the last month. The last month is when it's extreme cutting. I was anywhere from twenty five to fifty and very irritable and angry, and I was a little bitchy. I'm not gonna lie. My wife said. I was on PMS for the month of September.
Speaker 1: Man, I feel that anytime I do, like try to do carnivore or keto, dude, I get so pissy. I'm just like a grouch and like walking around bambug, I'm like, what the hell's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Like why are you so grouchy? And then it's like, oh, yeah, because I don't have any that comfort.
Speaker 2: Food to just like, oh, chinnamon rolls or mashed potatoes or any of that fun stuff to eat. But man, it's not fun to eat strict that and you just said it, like that's a lot of us. That's our biggest nemesis is you know, working out, and that's one thing. But they say you can't outwork out a poor diet. Right No, absolutely, not, Like even if you when I was doing the Iron Man and I was you know, thousands of calories I was burning on a regular basis, I still had a good old tire belly like it was, you know, a beer belly. And it's just because I was eating so much carbs and sugars to try to recover. Right, No, I learned a lot about my body in this competition. Like I could still like I've had pizza a few times since my competition. I could still find waste to indulge, but I I mean I would eat like a whole pizza, and now I can be okay with just a few slices.
Speaker 1: Right did it kind of almost change? Like I found I feel like after I've eaten really strict for a while, I don't like the things I used to love. I don't like them as much. I mean I still kind of like them, but it's not like, oh, I have to have my mashed potatoes with my steak, my elk steak, or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's like, eh, I'm good with or without it. Oh, correct, your body responds when you're eating clean for that long. Your body responds to port or bad foods, you know pretty well. Like for example, our neighbors brought us some Christmas cookies and I tried one. I'm like, oh, that was good. So I tried another one, and my whole body was like, oh, you suck eras I just felt like I ran into like a pole. And it's so I quickly learned that eating clean, you're just you're doing better. You think better, you feel better, you know have you know, I have more confidence, and uh, you know, you'd be more efficient. Like even when I was you know, I was training for this competition. You know, the carbohydrates that I could have was rice, and I it's amazing what a cup of rice could get me two or three miles on the mountain, just just a little bit of rice. What those carbs could do. You know before I would have to eat, you know, a box of donuts to get that kind of carbohydrates effectively in my body. So right, I noticed that too.
Speaker 1: One time, I ate keto all summer and then a couple of days before Elksen. I'd been I'd been hiking this hill every day, this steep ass hill, and I'd hike it, and with zero carbs, I was just I would struggle it take a you know, just like fu one foot in front of the other. And then a couple of days before I left for my elk hunt, I grabbed I was like, you know what, I think it's it's close enough. I'm gonna I'm gonna eat some And so I got me a couple barbecue beef burritos from the deli at the store, at the at the gas station, and.
Speaker 2: I ate those.
Speaker 1: Man, I flew up that hill. It was like I was I had rocket fuel. It's like, holy cow, like doubled my time up and down. It's like, holy cow, that was awesome. But that doesn't that doesn't work like that when you've been eating like crap all the time, No, it you're slug then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because well, because your body already has all that glycogen storage in you, it always all that flat storage in you, and so when when you already are just adding to it, it does nothing but makes you feel like crap. It doesn't burn like a like a like a fire inside it's so, yeah, you did the right thing. By that's that's probably the best time to have that kind of food is when you know you're gonna burn it off.
Speaker 1: So you're Elk, you got a heck of a bull. Elk, you were talking about how what what kind of a tag was that?
Speaker 2: Was that?
Speaker 1: A like did a rifle tag? And for how long was the season? And tell tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got blessed. I was given a tag my brother in law, he kind of worked out some magic with a friend of his that owns cwn U property here in Utah. And it was a tag that not normally like there's there's you had a chance at a bull because it was very late season, which I've never hunted late season bulls like that. So I mean, i'd really you know it it like you know, I'm a big fan of watching Corey Jacobson films and Elk one on one stuff and so you know, I I, you know, I blow phelps and so I thought, oh, I could call a bull in, but at that time of year, they don't like to be called It's more like a mule deer hunt, right, And so I was just it was kind of out of my element, you know, to not call or to try to locate. Instead, we're just basically going up on these ridges. It's here in Utah. It's a transition unit. So what they told me that this hunt could be where it was a five day hunt and it could be anywhere from seeing a couple elk the whole trip, or seeing twenty or thirty bowls the whole trip. Wow. And prior to this hunt, we had a really nice snowstorm in late October and it just triggered all these elk where every day we were seeing probably eighteen or nineteen bowls and that's it was awesome. Like it was like, I've never been a part of a hunt where you see that many elk. I mean where I live. I live in you went to mountains northeastern part of Utah. It's an open bowl unit. And you know, if you see a spike elk in this open bowl unit, that's a trophy. Yeah, and you may not ever see another elk ther whole time. And so it was really hard to to pass on an elk. But when you see on the first day, I think we saw fifteen bowls and uh, you know, I was like, oh, lead, I don't want to shoot one on the first day. Then the hunts over, I already got worked off, and all my buddies were saying, don't shoot one on the first day because we don't want to go back to our wives. Let's just try to this as long as possible. Let's enjoy this, Let's let's sit back and enjoy it. I mean we were we were we were cush hunting, like we I brought my camper and we were you know that had a you know, heater in it and stuff like that. So we we were having a good old time. And and the second day hit saw a few more bulls. I saw really really pretty five point like score is not something i'd chase per se. But if there's there's a difference between oh that's a pretty pretty bowl and there's another one that makes your butthole flinch, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, and this this this bull had that and so but at the same time, I don't I saw him on the second day and I wanted, I want to shoot this big, huge five point I mean, just super mature body, but he was uphill it was like six hundred yards, and I just didn't feel comfortable. Shooting that distance. I could, but I didn't feel comfortable because it was just an awkward position. So we tried to get a shot and never could get him. And then I spent the next two days trying to find him and never did. And then it just so happened to be where we found this other bull that ended up being bigger. Oh wow. And you know, in the meantime, I was, you know, passing three hundred inch bowls through fifteen's and that was you know, that was really hard to do to pass an elk that size. And then when I saw this bowl, it just is the same thing. It was just like you just know, yeah, that's it's just there's just next level. You know, your heart starts sinking, your eyes your eyes start you know, watering because it's just so beautiful. I love it. I love it it. That's that's so awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you got to enjoy that experience a hunting one of those cwmus. You know, some people will sit here and they'll they will throw rocks and poo poo on that.
Speaker 2: Oh it's privately, no, nope, I'm out.
Speaker 1: You know, you get all the comments and it's like man, sometimes normal guys should get that opportunity, you know, every now and then, which I'm all for. You know, it's not always some rich dude getting those tags. It's it's cool to see regular guys that you know would really appreciate it get that kind of a hunt. And some people, I mean, how many people would turn down an opportunity to do that if somebody said, hey, why don't you come up here and hunt? Nobody's turn that down?
Speaker 2: Right, So I knew this was a once in a lifetime thing for me too. I mean, I don't I don't have a lot of money to mount animals, and so I I knew this was one that I would have to mount because I knew I wasn't gonna get another shot. But yeah, you get you do hear the negativity and it's usually the same loud group that's against the cwm US. I know a lot of operators. What's nice is a lot of other these operators will work with my nonprofit charity where we give you know, kids that are terminal an opportunity to hunt elk on these properties. Yeah, the way they treat the property like the elk, the very healthy animals, beautiful properties and really the way people forget and you taw you could draw for these units. In fact, in this this unit that I hunted in of course, there was you know, guys that buy the tags every year. They have a lot of money. But the guy that shot the biggest bowl this year was was a public land guy that drew that put his name in it and drew it. He shot a three sixty bowl. Yeah, that's awesome, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I had the opportunity to hunt a CWMU here a few years ago, twenty twenty two, and there was a guy and his son. The guy had drawn a tag and yeah, he got to stay at the same place I got to stay. They even provided a guide for him they. I mean, it was awesome, like that guy, you know, was out there just living living the dream. So I think it's a good program, you know. I feel like everybody should get a chance someday to to go on that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, with the drawing systems, it makes it tough. You know, it's really hard, especially utahs is you got to be invested for a lot of years to to draw a tag. And but but anyway, so what's next, what's uh, what's on the horizon. Do you got any or do you or maybe you don't want to share what your next big goal is. Man, you've checked some pretty impressive boxes. No, there's there's always something on my mind. I'm working on one right now.
Speaker 2: This I usually don't go this long, but I wanted to find something that kind of resonates with me. And there's one that I've always wanted to do, and that's to swim the English Channel. It's from France to England. It's it's a marathon, but it's a swim. But it's feasible. It's really hard. You know, my my wife right now, it's not something she's eagerly anxious about. There's something that I'm probably going to do this year is to swim to Alcatraz Island and back. So I'm working with a charter company out there to see what it costs and see if I could, you know, maybe do a charity event where I can raise money for that swim. And you know, I just there. You have to swim at a certain pace otherwise the current to go to out to Alcatraz will push you off course where you're actually not going forward, you're going sideways. And so I have to qualify for that to swim to Alcatraz Island and back and they so that one's probably something that would be the next one that's coming up twenty twenty five. Awesome. Are you a pretty strong swimmer? Yeah? I swim in high school and in college. I mean with my disease because my feet were deformed, it was just it was something that I could do well at. The disease is in my hands as well, but it's it's uh, I've been working with the physical therapist I'm on. I got on tier T here a couple of years ago. That's kind of helped me retain muscle, and so the disease hasn't really affected that badly. There's some days it's bad, but for the most part, I'm still able to use my hands. Do you feel pain or is it just loss of function? Both? Pain just because uh, the arthritis and it everything's really feeble, like I have a broken wrist that still hasn't healed, and then just functions. So like fatigue, So like with swimming, if I get too tired, then my hands can't they cramp up like this like a I guess while we're on a podcast, so kind of like a monkey hand where it just kind of closes up, grip yep, and so to swim, I want my hands open, so I can, you know, like paddles and to hold that position is it can be hard when my disease gets gets bad. Oh wow, yeah, right on. Well man, what are any closing thoughts you'd.
Speaker 1: Like to give our listeners as far as motivational stuff, I think we'd all like to hear a little bit of the good stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things I love to talk about, and this, you know, applies to everybody, I think, not just hunters or is one of the things what I when I go out and I public speak. The topic that I am most passionate about is gratitude because it honestly is the most powerful thing that we can have as human beings. Powerful feeling besides love, is to to have gratitude. And one thing that I learned through many lessons in life is, you know, is you have to be grateful for what you have. And the more things that you spend focusing on what you're grateful for, you know, you won't find any time to sit around and say, well, I'm not grateful for this, or I'm you know, woe is me and this sucks. It has a powerful force behind it to where I try to practice gratitude every day. I make it a goal in the morning, especially in the morning, because I feel like that's when my mind's the clear where I could set the tone right for the day to think about at least two things that I knew in my mind that I'm grateful for. And you'd be surprised, like that does not get old. There's always something to be grateful for, you know. My even with my situation, I could say that I'm even grateful for my trials because it's taught me things that I don't think I could have gained anywhere else. Taught me things like patience and perseverance and compassion for other people with disabilities. That has rewarded me in life like it's made me a better husband, it's made me a better father. That's given the patience and over chaos, has helped me get stand out at work where I've gotten promotions. And all these attributes were something that I gained because of this trial. So I mean I could safely say that I would never change my life for anything else. So as I guess to add on to that or to close of that is, I I think maybe reconsider some of the hardships that we've had in our lives as opportunities to learn from and and find ways to grow, where these are just stepping stones to your success.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love that, I really do. I think that's a huge point.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of us skip that, skip that gratitude getting up in the morning. You know, I think all the other things with life and all the other clutter, you know, whether it's you know, politics, news, social media, whatever it is you're facing with your day to day grind, it's easy to lose lose that focus on gratitude.
Speaker 2: Especially in the morning. Like what's the first thing most people do when they wake up? What do they go for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they go for the new the news, or their phone, their phone, Yeah, they're gonna get the or social they.
Speaker 2: Want to see who's who's like this, or who's doing that, or who's doing this. Of course social media it's got some beautiful things to it, but a lot of times people look at like, oh man, I wish I was doing this, I wish I was doing that. And in the end, it's just you know, to start your day where you just wish you were somebody else. Is not healthy. Yeah, I starting your day with envy. Just practice, yeah, practice gratitude, then look at your phone, you know, just try it, try it out. Yeah yeah, I'm going to do that. I'm going to do that.
Speaker 1: So Sidney, where can people find you? If they want to follow you?
Speaker 2: You could? I'm pretty active on social media, I guess with with Instagram. I haven't caught on to to Snapchat, although my kids think I should. I don't. I'm not going to do that, but I can. I can only keep up with really one snap or Instagram. Facebook. I don't do really much on TikTok, but uh, Instagram, that's trying no the tri I underscore, no feat and then our Facebook is just Sidney Smith. I'm probably the only Sidney Smith that doesn't have legs, so I think that's one easy way to find me that way.
Speaker 1: So right on, Well, I appreciate you coming on telling you sharing your story. Like I said, I've been following you on social media for years, it seems like, and I've enjoyed I've enjoyed your motivation and and I just wanted everybody else to be able to enjoy it as well, so thank you for.
Speaker 2: Having for coming on. Hey, I fell honored, Dirk. I mean it's like I said, I've been a fan of what you guys do and I look forward to seeing you at the Hunnecks be here in a few months. Yeah, yeah, I can't wait to hope to see you there. Good deal. Thanks, thanks again,