Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the Renee Stubs Tens podcast and popping in the corner. Yeah, look at look, I've got a special guest for us today, mister Todd Woodbridge. Nine time Wimbledon doubles champion. How many times you win the mixt only once? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Very famously lost a final with six match points in the time break. Oh I remember that much, friend, Elisia Mollick. So yeah, nine men's and one runner up in the men's and one win, so you were nine from ten in the men's doubles. Shouldn't have lost that one either, because that was ten eight and the fifth who are you blaming that on? No, I lost my serve, which was generally who lost serve in our partnership, and at nine to eight in the fifth set, so yeah, that was close that day too.
Speaker 1: Well, I would have nice to round it up to ten, but I'd take nine. I'd take nine. I got two, So between the two of us we got over ten. So well done for that, all right, So obviously a lot going on. We are actually sitting in the practice facility at Wimbledon because we just hit some tennis balls, which is always nice. That's great.
Speaker 2: I don't hit a lot of balls throughout the year, but whenever I come to Wimbledon, it just kicks in. Although we're on the hard court, but it's just this place, This place holds this aura about it. It's a special sound more so than a smell. You know, sometimes smells his senses, but here it's the sound, and it's the color that green, and the purity of Wimbledon and the way they've been able to keep that traditional feel yet modern, nice everything and make it so much better than you know, when we first came here in the eighties, you and I.
Speaker 1: So it's involved late late eighties. It's evolved. Yeah, really late eighties. Okay, geez weeze Todd. I was going to think we've been here since eighty one. Eighty nine I think was my fot. Yeah, eighty seven was my first. Yeah, you were a little bit better than me when we were younger. But yeah, anyway, it's been lovely, beaty and actually, Todd, it's ironic that it was one year today where I lost my mum actually, and we were supposed to play practice together and I got the call from my family that mum wasn't probably going to make it through the night and you were the person I was standing with. So this is actually it's kind of interesting how the world works, isn't it That I hadn't seen you. I didn't know you were even here. And then I was supposed to hit only hit tennis balls with Barbara Schette, and then he said Todd's going to join us, and then Petco joined us. We had a fun game of dingles. But the fact that one year later, I actually we finally got to hit tennis balls, and I feel like my mum was on the court today with us and said, you know, it's a year later. It's a sad day, but remember to always have fun on the tennis court. Yeah. But you know, we go back to.
Speaker 2: I think maybe nine eight years of age when we first played same tournaments. I played against your older brother around that age. Think I might have been nine or ten. So we go a long way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we go a long way back anyway. So this this episode is obviously dedicated to my mum, but it's also, you know, for Todd Knight. So this is such a special place for us. So it is hard in the way because every year I come back to Wimbled and now I'm going to remember that. But it's sort of good because I know that you'd be happy that I'm here. Yeah, you're gonna look at it in the positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they like all parents that is so proud that what you've done. But you know, wimbled and in Australia in particular, holds you know so much reverence. Yeah, and it's that thing that you know, a womb like Australians wild and champions love the AO, right, but if you're a Wimbledon champion, you've made it and that's you know, when you can have that your resume, your mom's going to be going, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Anyway, well, when we talk about the draw a little bit and there's some interesting matchups, certainly, you know, we'll talk about the elephant in the room as we as everyone wants to know sort of how a Serena's look and looking good she plays my joy.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask that question, but you just ask yourself. No, no, no, no, it's typically stubsy. She's just going to ask yourself an answer at the same time, doesn't need guests.
Speaker 1: Go on, now, how is she going?
Speaker 2: Because I've been watching clips, looks like she's timing the ball beautifully. Obviously, you know a lot of people will say, well, how is she going to be moving? What are you going to do to counteract that? Because you can't move like she did when she was in her twenties. That's just physically impossible. I think the question for me also is it's such a big ask to come back, not just to play doubles, but to play singles at Wimbledon, and it's going to be on center court as a champion that she is. Will that make her nervous?
Speaker 1: I think you're not human If that doesn't make it nervous. You know, it would probably be the one thing that you know that you just you don't know, right. I know how well she's hitting the ball, Sitting the ball great, like really really well. She's serving great. If I were to rank her, you know, just her basic hitting ability in her timing of the ball, it's nine out of ten. Yeah, you know, can't say ten out of ten because that's like absolutely perfect tennis. But that's how well she's actually hitting the ball in practice, moving quite well. It's improved exponentially in the last week because we've been really focusing on singles. So the movement is there for someone who's forty four. I mean we just hit tennis balls and we're fifty five, the two of us, and we know that you just get a step slower as the years go on, but moving fairly well, pulling up really well. Then, yes see that's going to be key. Right.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that matchup in a moment with my joint, but that recovery is going to be tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the biggest thing, like you said, is no matter how many times you've won matches on cenate court, no matter how many times, how many Grand Slams you've won, how many great you know you are the greatest fearale tennis, You're still going to be anxious, and you still will be nervous, and she will feel that when she walks out.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear her answer after a bit. But you and I have both been fortunate enough to go and play on the center court after our you know, Open careers were done, playing tational events out there, and I've got to say that every time I went out there, these memories just came back and they felt so good. And you know what I talked about sound the center court here at Wimbledon has a uniquely different sound because it has that inner roof and so when people clap and cheer, it gets caught underneath it and then echoes around. And also when you hit a ball out of the middle of the racket, it sounds awesome. It sounds completely different than it does on any other court in the world.
Speaker 1: And I bet that.
Speaker 2: She's going to get that feeling and that all those sensors will come back and it could be quite a joyous time for her to really go this is home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really good. I'm glad you said that to me because that's a good way for me to sort of talk to her about it as well as rather than looking at it as like this big deal, it's like, try and tap into those moments of the memories that you have where you played. I mean, arguably, I think she's played her She played a lot of great matches in her life, but I would argue and say her best match she ever played was the finals of the Olympics against Marine Sharapova. If there's everyone match that you want to watch to see how good she was, just go watch that.
Speaker 2: Because there's that point too, when you walk out onto the court and the crowd start clapping. Yeah, that doesn't happen on any other senate code like that.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, Well, we've got to take a short break and we'll be back with a lot more of Wimbledon after the break. I think you might have remembered this when they had one hundred years anniversary of the Senate courd at Wimbledon and they asked me to interview the players about senate court and I asked them all one specific question at the end, what is so different about senate courd at Wimbledon any other court in the world, And they all ninety nine percent of them said the exact same thing. What do you think that answer was? It's the crowd. Was it a crowd? It was the silence, silence when you bounce the ball. When you bounce the ball, you hear the ball. And it's the one stadium in the world where it is truly before you start a point dead silent, and that's not the same in anywhere else. And that comes from that clap and that underneath sound of talking about and then bang ye. Paul Annacone told the story once where he got to the quarters of Wimbledon one time, and he was feeling good, he's warming up, and then he goes to bounce the ball for the very first point and all of a sudden, he just started shitting himself because he's like, oh my god, it was so quiet. He said, I just completely fell apart.
Speaker 2: So it's a little bit of a segue into the next question about Serena and her first round opponent. She's taken on my joint, So we have a huge interest in that because a young Australian who this time last year was just flying and like many young players as in the second year round sophomore year, has really struggled to win matches and this is a huge match for her. It's kind of a weird turning point, like if she was able to sneak a wino for Serena, it might just be that springboard for her to get going again. But at the same time, I don't know how she going to handle everythasion. Yeah, the occasion, the opponent, those moments. Because she played womed and for the first time last year she won Eastbourne, she had about six hours to feel what it was like here. By the time she got here and played her next match, this she had overnight and she hasn't had that feeling. Yeah, she hasn't been able to take it in, and so this is going to be massive for her, I think, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Interested in your views.
Speaker 2: I think that will actually favor Serena and make her the favorite, which is quite incredible. You know, if you put that out there that Serena's going to come back at Wombed and win her first round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, listen, I love my own obviously, everyone who knows I support all the Aussies all the time. But this might be the one occasion where I'm not going to be calling for Maya because obviously coaching Serena it's a big moment for tennis. But anyway, is that stressful coaching Serena? No. I just was talking to you before this started, and I can honestly say it's it's a joy every day to be on the court with her, because, first of all, I haven't worked with anyone, and I've worked with some great players, Sam Stowsa, Carolina Plushkov, Ginnie Bouchard. They're all very professional or very good tennis players, and your former number one and Carolina former Grand Slam champion and Sam, but Serena's on a different level because she she knows what she needs to work on and she literally says, no, I want to do more of that, and I want to do more of that. And if you tell us something, as Carolina and Sam did, they were all they're all sponges. Great players. Always listen, always.
Speaker 2: They they take what they need information, don't dwell on them, never fight you on it.
Speaker 1: Never. They always want to know how can I be better today? That's all they care about. And that is Serena to a t. And I mean people probably say this to all meantime, what can you tell Serena to be better at singles? And I'm like, it's not about me not being as good as singles players her, No, it's about what can I do and she trusts me to make her better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is as good as anybody's in terms of tactics and technique. So actually, bit mind boggling that you haven't coached any men yet.
Speaker 1: By the way, well I am available, but after Serena's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well for the third time I put it out there that you should be doing that.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Ted, I appreciate that. But you know, look, I think on the women's side, you know, the question marks a sable, Anca Rebarkina. Neither of them have had great lead ups to Wimbledon's. Rebarkin is certainly one of the favorites winning this Strain Open. She's won Wimbledon before I asked the question of you know which one of those two is going to turn up this week? Because the women are just I mean, todd It's like I called it the Hunger Games every week with the women. Because Noskova wins, you know, Berlin, Mukhova wins. I don't know, if you check you're in with a shot or winning Wimbledon, that's for sure, because all of them know how to play on grass or play on any surface. But you know, you look at all these names winning these tournaments. You've got Costure winning Madrid, then you've got Andreva winning the French She's definitely a chance to win this tournament as well because she's adaptable on every surface. Then you've got you know, Coca GoF not playing well coming in here. I mean, it's just the women's tennis. It is so deep, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know it really it really should be sabal Anka, but she's never even made the final. No, and you know that what happened in Paris once again puts just so many scars and scar tissue for her to have to try to mend that it's going to make it difficult.
Speaker 1: And the whole the rest of the field knows.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they get that portion of the draw against her and then and go, oh, okay, I've just got to hang around long enough.
Speaker 1: I think the player to meet. Actually, and I've said this a few times over the last couple of weeks, is I think Jessica Bagoola is going to be somebody. She lost early at the French She's playing very well. She lost in the finals in Berlin to Noskova, but she also had a winnow of Saberlenka. She plays well on grass. We know that there's a if she hadn't lost that match to Androsova up for one and a third a few years ago, that she probably would have won that tournament. That year, Vondrossova, you know, ended up winning the tournament against Ons And I just feel like Jessica Gooler, there's something that's telling me that she might make the finals. What about the fending champion comes in here with absolutely no confidence.
Speaker 2: Todd No, it's been fascinating watching your play. I mean I thought, like last year when she didn't win the French and she got on and played a Grascot tournament and the lead up got here and got better every match she played, she did find confidence. I watched a bit of her match golshwhere where they in Germany last week? Bad homebook, and I thought she's hit the ball grade. But she has no patterns of play, no structure, hitting the wrong ball off the wrong shot coming at her, lacking discipline and dedication to trust her abilities. But you know, great players like her sometimes can click and find it and I actually thought she was going to do that at the French. So I'm not putting her up there. But it's interesting when you look at what she's capable of as well, and not many people even throwing her name out here at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, it's pretty crazy, isn't it. Yeah, considering she's the defending champion, But looked a lot of questions to be answered from her with her tenis, with her coaching situation. Apparently it's not even extending with Francisco Roy after this that was the plan originally, I hear, so I don't know what's going on in her coaching camp, I don't know what's happening with her emotionally. So yeah, there's a lot of questions to be answered.
Speaker 2: Case I'm going to put it who who right now without seeing around or two are you putting your money on Serena?
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding. I mean, listen, if she stays healthy, yes, the ball as well as anybody on grass, and there is a chance in the third round if she is to make the third round, lay as, she'll play Eager. If Eager makes it through your Carolina push goovers in that section of the draw, who's also been playing pretty well coming back from pretty terrible injuries over the last few years. And Carolinas a former finalist here. Big Serve likes to play in grass, so that's not going to be an easy section for Eager to get through if they were to play each other in the second round, and then you know, potentially Serena. Look, you know, I think Rebarkina will probably find some form, but she has not played well coming in here. I think Jessica Gooler is one to really look out for, especially if the weather stays the way it is. It's been beautiful. So I don't know. I honestly don't know Mira Andreva.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for me, there's a big ask for her to do that, but given what she did in Paris, there is maturity. It's finally kicking in. I love Kacheetah. She's a contemporary peer of ours who I think is a brilliant coach, has got so much out of varying players of different styles and shapes.
Speaker 1: And so myself was final, I made it. She was coaching there.
Speaker 2: You go, always inserts herself as stubbsy, and that's right, and I just think it's context.
Speaker 1: Todd. I think that she is, you know, just that outside favorite for me. Yeah, I don't disagree with you. And she's happy. God when you come in here, you know what it's like, having one a major and then you come to the next one you're like, oh, this is great. I know I can win it too. That's just half the battle. Okay, We've got more to cover with mister Todd wood Rich, my old mixed doubles partner. Right after the break. Okay, so let's get to the men. Well, the men's I think.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating, like, you know, what happened in Paris was I was incredible and for the first time in many, many years we saw this young brigade kick in that I'd not seen before.
Speaker 1: So can they do it on grass? Probably it's more difficult that.
Speaker 2: I don't think it'll be as weird a tournament on the men's side as what it was there.
Speaker 1: And thankfully for Yannick, it's getting a lot cooler the second week.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was probably shooting himself this one, and it's he's the favorite by a long shot, but he hasn't obviously played and we don't know really what's gone on with the body. Watching his practice, it looks good, footwork looks good, looks like he's moving well. But obviously weather and conditions are going to play a pig part because there is something hiding in there that he hasn't got on top of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, from all accounts, you know, he's done all the testing and all that sort of stuff and everything's fine. It's just an anomaly maybe, you know, and he's red headed, and they do say that that extra game maybe suffers in the heat. It can happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously I played, you know with Mark wood Ford for ten years and did he struggling. Yeah, he was a great single playing now he struggled in humid hot weather, not in dry heat, so where his metabolism would lose too much fluid that he could not replace it quick enough and it was just his body set up. He did talk to Darren Khall about this, just curious, I'm sure all that conversation. But Mark literally knew he had to be fully hydrated to go out like it would be normally, but he had to try to sustain it, and in humidity he just often couldn't. And he tested for all of that and it was just one of those things he had.
Speaker 1: To deal with.
Speaker 2: Now he was a redhead, you know, pale skin, all that type of thing, and you know it genetically might be something that's in there because you think about the heat direct sunlight seems to affect as well, not the heat in the evenings that type.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I mean it's interesting because he one person we probably don't talk about enough or we will is Novak. Look, he hasn't had a great year, he has not having had great slam results. There's something about this place, and I think there is, but there is interesting because he said I heard him the other day say that he's talked to his team this year and the focus was fully on Wimbledon, because I think he knows it's the one shot he.
Speaker 2: Had won, the one he has shot and half with. He's certainly good enough to win. But you know what he hasn't done, and what he's dealing with is the body. In round three and four, and he starts to break down a little bit physically.
Speaker 1: His recovery is.
Speaker 2: Tough, even though it doesn't look like it that that's his let's call it his achilles heel. And he also knows that he's coming up against the younger ones that physically, are you okay? In those rounds. I felt if he was to win, he has to play more tournaments and more matches. You have to have the mat resilience and the bounce back to be able to get here. To feel it, my spies tell me he didn't hit a lot of balls after Roland Garross, just his normal training, and so he doesn't have that court time, which I'm amazed at for someone that's been so brilliant at the one percentage that that percentage of what he needed to win here may not have been done. He may not have ticked every box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's fascinating. I mean, look, there's no player that I would argue has been more professional as far as getting themselves to that point. So it'd be interesting to see. Maybe he feels like, and I think he did mention this in an interview, where he feels like, if you can get through a couple of rounds that the tennis then will take care of itself. The tennis kicks in and the fitness will then kick in, well hopefully. I mean he's the only one outside of sin Icee winning the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Well, let's talk about someone that might then be an out player. So like, obviously this is probably the best year for American men like to have a legitimate shot. Your Francis Stout for having had to win. You've got Taylor Fritz, who always plays great on grass. So here's the rough first round. Yeah, yeah, You've got Ben Shelton and Ben for me, I've actually done a chat later tonight with Greg Rouzetski, and if you look at the two of them, maybe Ben's a modern day Greg is certainly better off the ground and all that, but he could take a Rosetski mindset on grass, Hold your serve, hold your serve, build pressure, build pressure, and be so dangerous here and not so dynamic as we know him. He is a big foie back and do anything, tighten the game up a bit for this surface and bang, all of a sudden, Shelton is so dangerous with his lefty serve. I've called matches here playing Alex Demonor, and it's it's the point here and a point there that he doesn't he does too much, He overplays, doesn't need to be that big, doesn't need to be that good. If he could get that mindset, watch out for Ben Shelton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. And also he has to have a ton of confidence of winning a grass court tournament coming in here beating Taylor Francis also beat Taylor. But I think also, like you said, I think Taylor if he gets through this match against Jack Draper in the first round the bloody night in their first round, Oh god, what a great ticket to have if you've got a center court ticket on Tuesday at Wildon because you've got some incredible matches with Serena with her comeback, and of course Jack and Taylor being on that schedule. But it's to me Taylor is the type of player that you know, one of the things that he hasn't had this year is the match fitness because of this knee.
Speaker 2: Injury, he needed to take time off proper and fix it proper.
Speaker 1: That's right, And I feel like the knee. I haven't spoken to him, so I don't know for sure, but I would gather that his knee is pretty much at one hundred percent now and that he's been able to put the time in and getting these final results is getting him the match fitness. And now we know the once he gets deep into matches, he's bloody hard to beat and he's a real fighter. And so look out for Taylor to do really well in this tournament as well. So yeah, I think you're right, Todd. I think the Americans, we're going to see an American in the semi final at some point. How do you think Zeb's going to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just thinking that section of the drawer, the bottom half of the drawer, and in there is Leahshka very dangerous.
Speaker 1: He's going to be tough to beat. Maybe he's your surprise finalists down there, because he's probably the one player down there that now knows that he can get to a final, and he's been prepping. He's he was at Queens. He's playing.
Speaker 2: He's dangers. He can come and go a little bit, but he's dangerous. But vere the drawer is pretty open. Nice, There's some good players in there. There's obviously Sarundelo is in that bottom piece where where he won Queens.
Speaker 1: My god, he played that tournament. Did you watch the final with Tommy Paul. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean Tommy Paul, Tommy Paul I thought was hitting the ball. So well, watch out for Tommy Paul here.
Speaker 1: Because we've got about him and the Americans. That's bad.
Speaker 2: That's bad because he's he's the most informed. I thought what I saw at Queen's Club. Because we've had such hot weather here, the courts are already firm. They're not going to be that slippery, greasy feeling that you get a lot on opening a couple of days here. He is really he's primed. He's prime for his best one wo then yeah, Tommy, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Tommy and Taylor really had to struggle with injuries over the last year, and it's I feel like there I would say that they're pretty much eighty percent now so ninety percent, if not one hundred percent. So that's great. I mean, Tommy, that final was unbelievable against the Rindilo. Oh my god. The tennis that we're playing, hitting the ball from the back of the court on grass these days is insane to me. And it was funny. I played golf with the next day and we talked about and he said, oh, man, I said, did you watch the match? He goes, yeah, it was great tennis. And he said, you know, everyone's just so good from the back of the court, you know. And he said that to me, He's like, everyone's so good now, so can I see way off that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And they are so good it's ridiculous. But the courts are so good. Yeah, the courts are ridiculous. The courts are too good. The court plays too much like a hard court. It needs to be softer, It needs to be more natural, it needs to be less manicured in a way to allow the odd ball to shoot through, to be more around knee height.
Speaker 1: Not hip height.
Speaker 2: Like the contrast of these of these courts now to what they used to be. You want them to be better. And I know the tours and the club want rallies and all of that. But at the same time, you want the surface to show skills and that tennis they were playing was unbelievable, but it was just like watching if you'd paint hardcourt. Yeah, and so that's not grass court tennis. It doesn't allow for the nuance that this surface has always had. You don't have to go back that far to see matches played and know why you came forward because you've got bad bounces. You know, I don't we don't want bad bounces in the pitch, so to speak, like you're doing cricket in Australia and whatever. But it was it's something that I'd like to see the court play a little a little lower, a little softer, a little bit because you know, if you play a short volley on a soft grass court, it doesn't bounce up.
Speaker 1: Then they've got to come forward. They have to create an opening.
Speaker 2: They can't rip a pass and and so now you've got another tactic that you can throw into a match if you're good enough to be able to use it.
Speaker 1: Would you say that the guys that still can do that? And I think that's why our choraz Yes, And even Becauseick has employed the drop shot and coming into the net. I think it's something that Darren kay It has really helped him with. And it's not about coming in, it's about what to come into the neat on. Every player can come to the net. It's called transition, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's about how you set up that transition ball to come forward, to look for the volley, to build pressure to go into a portion of players maybe it's their back end. You know, they can't pass that up up the line.
Speaker 1: They only go for those of you out there that are amateur players. My golden rule forehand, you have to come in inside out or down the line. You cannot come in on a cross court. And if you do, that's give only one hundred dollars. And it's called geometric suicide. Yes, and it's also called if you do happen to be dumb enough to come in on it, you better cover the cross court. Okay. That's my rule. Okay for all our listeners out there, because I know that you love your little tidbits anyway, So if you had to guess, put your money, Yeah, a woman and a man to win this tournament, who would it be? Todd Woodridge nine time doubles champion and one time mixed doubles champion.
Speaker 2: I'm going to put my to get ten titles that a couple of junior doubles as well, and a couple of a couple of seniors.
Speaker 1: And I've won more seniors than I won more open. So if that's if that's part.
Speaker 2: Of the criteria, I'm a legend here, right, Okay, man, I'm going to go with the because I think he he he feels it actually interesting if had a Carlos been here and he's won a couple already. I think Yannick will win more wien Wooden titles than our kraz will.
Speaker 1: Okay that's a big call, but yeah, and I think he can serve.
Speaker 2: That's because of the way the surface plays now too, So anyway, I think that he can defend his championship or win it again. I hate the word defend, and I then I'm going to don't. I'm really struggling to pick a winner out of the women's I'm going to go with confidence of winning the last Slam super coach that's one here before going to go back to back big ask. I know, maybe that's putting too.
Speaker 1: Big ass for a year Wow. Okay, Well, I think I picked Rebakina at the start of the year to win here, and I thought once she lost early in the French I said her and Pegoula would not surprise me. But I'm going to put some money on Jess. I think it's a big ask. I think she should have won this tournament a bunch of years ago. I think she is playing well enough, she's confident, and you have to pick somebody. So I'm going to pick her, actually, and Serena, but you know I have to. She's my charge. That would be a story. That would be a story, all right, everyone, Thanks for joint Todd, thanks for joining me to that. That was so fun and two weeks of the best tournament in the world about to be around the corner. So good enjoy us, enjoy it all right, bye, everybody, see you next week.