Speaker 1: Welcome to this League Uncut in the rule of twenty four hour NBA News. This's you, Chris Haynes. It's time, Mark Stein, it's some time. This League Uncut is underway and on five this should be a good one.
Speaker 2: Gonna be a good one, indeed, a fresh and clean edition of this League Uncut. As we move firmly into the second round of the NBA Playoffs, Mark Stein here with Chris Haynes. As always, eight teams left in the race for a title. Those eight teams hold the lowest composite winning percentage for a final eight in the history of the NBA's sixteen team playoff format, which by the way, turns forty years old next season. And that awesome stat comes from our shared former teammate from ESPN, Kevin Pelton. You got the defending champions in there as a number six seed. Two playing teams in the second round for the first time, the seven seeded Lakers the eighth seeded Heat We're gonna get to all that We're gonna get, of course, to Warriors Lakers. The series that Chris will primarily be covering in Round two, Lebron James versus Stephen Curry. Round five in the playoffs starts later to night, but we gotta start with this crazy Philly game. We are recording Monday night for a Tuesday morning release of this pod. Game one the Sixers, with no Joel Embiid and James Harden goes for forty five, Tyrese Maxi goes for twenty six seventy one combined from the Guards and without Joel Embiid, they take a one to zero lead in Boston. Chris Haynes, I did not see that coming at all. I know obviously we're I mean Tuesday, later today, the MVP award is going to be announced. Joel Embiid is has emerged as the favorite to win that. I think we all expect him to be announced as the MVP. But Joel Embiid, he's told you, He's told me, he said it all year long. All he wants to do is get to the playoffs and be healthy. And here he is. He's not healthy, but his guys just stepped up huge, and man, the Sixers. This is this is this is a whopper of an upset.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think anybody could have really saw that coming in Boston. Game one, without arguably well I think, like you said, he's gonna be the favorite to win that MVP Award. James Harden turned back the hands of time with that performance. That was vintage James Harden with the Houston Rockets. That's what he did. You could tell he was in a comfort zone. He didn't have to really defer at all. It was his show and he felt comfortable. He looked comfortable doing it. And then you had Tyrese Maxi going off and being a speechter that he is and making plays, getting downhill, hitting that jump shot. Philly looked like they looked like a really good ball club. He saw James Harden talking with my colleague Ali leave Forth after the game and he said he was short, but he was real candid with with his with his response. His answer, he said, she asked like, how did it feel to be back in that mold of the James Harden of old. He said, I was gonna shoot regardless whether they where they where, do they win in or not, that's a different story. But I was gonna get my shots up. So you know, he looked like a really confident guy man. So it was good to see him kind of back to his old ways. I know, a lot of people felt like he may have lost a step or lost the lost the ability to gain separation. But he did that, and he did it against one a tough one, a tougher defensive clubs we have.
Speaker 2: I mean, there is so much to unpack just from this one game, because really, with Milwaukee home for the summer before the playoffs, if we would have said the Bucks would lose in the first round, you would have I mean, I think most reasonable people in the NBA would have said the Celtics Philly winner becomes the favorite to win it all. But the Sixers now don't know what kind of Joel Embiid they're going to have back when he does come back. The Celtics just look like a mess. I mean, they couldn't close out Atlanta when they had the chance in Game five. They finished that series in very limp fashion. And then for the Celtics to come out in this game the day after the Boston Bruins in the same building. This ain't a hockey podcast, but yes I am a Buffalo Sabers fan, so I do keep a little bit of an eye on it. The Boston Bruins had the best regular season in hockey history. They go up three to one. They lose Game seven in overtime at home, out in the first round. Twenty four hours later, the Celtics are back in the building with a city in mourning because Boston fans love their Bruins as much as they love the Celtics as much as they love the Patriots. And with the city in mourning, how you don't show up locked in to take advantage of Philly when Embiid is not there? Is crazy? But they look, I mean they finished the finish was I mean indescribably bad. And I mean that, you know, again, it's only one game, and we don't know even if Embiid can come back in game two or game three, whenever it is, we don't know how effective he'll actually be. What would you do if you're the Sixers, do you now sit him in game two to give him, you know, three more extra days before game three? I mean, you've got the split now in Boston.
Speaker 3: I would sit them. I would sit them because the Sixers have confidence now. And I know teams and players like to say they always have confidence, but they won Game one in Boston. That is not easy to do, and so now they really do have confidence because they've seen it happen, and I would sit them. I would give him the extra rest, see if he can get back for Game three in Philly. But I most definitely ride the confidence that they have right now. Ride the wave. See if James Harden and Tyres Maxi and those other guys can step up again. And you never know, But definitely, I think there's no way if I'm management, there's no way that I allow Joel Embiid to come back for game two.
Speaker 2: I think we both know mister Embiid pretty well, but I'm going to ask you how hard will it be to sell him on that strategy? You think he'll see the wisdom in it and say, yes, let me sit out here because it's Game three is not till Friday, it's not too Friday.
Speaker 3: But I think it's easier to sell him on that being at they won game one. I think he gets that because ultimately, like he's told us time and time again, his number one goal is a championship, right, so it looks like he's going to get MVP. He's going to be happy with that. He's definitely going to be pleased by finally being able to raise that award. Up in the air. But championship is what's most important. So if that's what's most important, then you have to put your health first and foremost. And if that means wait until Friday, I think he'll be willing to do that considering the sething, I mean, considering the sixth were able to get game one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I do think for him, I mean, were he to win MVP but then the Sixers to go out in the second round. Again, I mean, I don't want to say hollow because like, like we both know he does want that award and it does mean a lot to him and to finally check off that box. Mean, you know, that's a big deal to him. But he does need a playoff run. I you know, he needs a playoff run. A long playoff run is least as at least as much as he needs the MVP award. So yeah, I mean this is and look, we don't know for sure, but just the way that this is all kind of played out, the Nuggets will have played both of their first two games against Phoenix. I mean, they're they're playing game two as we speak. So you know, when if Yokic won the MVP, you'd think that that would have already been announced that the league wouldn't announce it when Yokic is about to go play two games in Phoenix. So I do think Embiid is going to be announced as the MVP later today. But man, we got to I mean, what about James Harden? Seriously, he He's been crushed for years for his playoff performance. He was crushed tonight for that. Did you see the did you see the pregame fit? As the kids would say, am I allowed to say it like that? Can I say it like that? Or do I sound ridiculous?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 2: What do you think of the well pregame fit?
Speaker 3: I think David Stern is rolling over in his grave right now with what we allow to happen with this dress code. He would David Stern would definitely not approve that. That bagging thiss That is beyond bagging this, That's beyond the baggingess that we were putting ourselves in the nineties early two thousand. It's it's he's taking He took it a couple of degrees up with that style. You know, I'm a I'm not a stylish I'm not a stylist at all. You know, I'm just now getting back into getting into custom suits and being tailored, and you know suits fit in your body mold. So what James Harden pulled away with that, that's the complete opposite of what I'm doing right now. So whatever flows you up, both him and and SGA over there in ok See. You know they're they're known by you know, most of the players to beat some of the sharpest dressers. You hear that sharpest dressers we happen to lead. That's that's the courting to them. You ask people outside the NBA, They'll probably have to give you a different tale.
Speaker 2: Let's say he got crushed for the look he got. You know, his playoff history always gets thrown in his face. And then on top of all that, you know he was seen in Vegas during this week off that the Sixers had to kind of yo. You know, they they finished off Brooklyn quick, and you know, we were thinking, okay, this is extra time for for maybe Joel Embiid's need to heal, and all of a sudden, there's James Harden sighting in Vegas that I don't know what.
Speaker 3: Hold on you mentioned a signing in Vegas? Stein hold On, I got room so Stein, Yes, come come on here, I mean, come on.
Speaker 2: What Yes, America, this is what happens on the This League Uncut podcast. You remember, early in the history of the show, when we were really a fledgling show, Chris Haynes had to stop one episode because the pizza delivery man rang the doorbell. But this, this is more excusable. I think we're not gonna find him because he is on the road. He is in a hotel getting ready for Game one of Lakers sixers. So the room service, you know he's in a nice hotel though, because there was not a knock on the door, there was a doorbell ring. So when the doorbell rings at a hotel, that tells you that that TNT's got Chris Haynes hooked up and he stands somewhere nice.
Speaker 3: A brother has to eat. Oh but that's what I was saying. So, Stein, you brought up James Hard James Harden's sighting in Vegas. What was he seen doing? Can you tell me that? Stin?
Speaker 4: I have to ask do? I had to ask?
Speaker 3: Man? I thought I thought he made some news somewhat with his side of it. Maybe I was wrong. I thought they said he did something I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know either.
Speaker 3: That's why I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting for the explanation. I don't know either.
Speaker 3: I doubt we get an explanation style. I highly doubt that. Can you imagine, hikesaun stide? Can you imagine? Because I think this is the first time Hard has been in front of reporters, can you imagine him getting asked that question after after? It's nice?
Speaker 2: This is the playoff game of his life. So maybe it's a good time because he can say pretty he can say pretty much anything now and uh, and it's gonna They're gonna bless it. Do we need to take a break so you can have this room service meal?
Speaker 3: No, so my my best friend and Terrence Hall drove down from Fresno to come kicking with me. So this is actually his food, So it's for him, I ad.
Speaker 2: So your idea of a way to, you know, reconnect with one of your best friends is hey, come come hang out with me and watch me talk on a podcast.
Speaker 3: No, it's not like that. Usually when my friends find out I'm near, they just come over uninvited. That's usually how it works. And it's not like I keep it a secret. You know, there was a press release of what out says. I decided I reported for game one the Lakers and Warriors. So that's how my friends are all right?
Speaker 2: That was not part of tonight's plan discussion. But like I said, I'm not sure we can say that anymore because we need a lot more clarity on the Joel Embiid health situation. But wow, I mean, Philly winning Game one was not in the script, and James Harden with the playoff game of his life. After all of these other interesting sidebars to the discussion, what I wanted to ask you when we got together tonight was is this the year of the lower seed again? Warriors number six? Take out number three Sacramento. The Lakers as a number seven, take out number two Memphis, the Heat as a number eight, as we all know, take out number one Milwaukee in historic fashion in five games. Boston is a two versus three. But as we've said fifteen times already, Tonight and Beads got this knee situation, the Celtics have looked like an absolute mess. I mean, we knew this season was wide open, but I think it's even more wide open now than we anticipated. After a bizarre regular season like Warriors, Lakers, Heat. Could our chie champion really come from that trio? I guess you've been saying you've kind of been a Lakers believer now for a while, which I clearly have not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ever since they made those moves at the deadline. But I will say about you know, the point about lower seeds taking down the higher season is this the season. I think there's an exception for a few of those teams. I think there should be an exception made. Let me know if you agree or not. I believe there should be exception made for the Warriors and the Lakers. The only team that I feel like is really in that boat of a true lower seed is the Miami Heat. The Lakers got better at the deadline, so they you know, they climbed up the rankings ever since they made those moves, so they're really a better team than their seating. And the same thing for the Warriors. They were dealing with injuries, Stephen Curry out, so they're a better team than their seating. The Miami Heat is really the only team out there that you can't say, well healthy, didn't make any moves. They're really a number eight seed and they took the hard way of the playoff playing route to get to the playoffs. That's probably really the most spectacular thing that we've seen as far in the playoffs. But to answer your to answer your question going into the postseason, Phoenix was my team that I said, I think, you know, that's not looking too good as of right now. No, it's only one game. But Denver is looking really good. And I think a lot of people, include myself, were sleeping on a bit. But Warriors and the Lakers they're better than let me see what the sixth and seven seed. Yeah, they're better than the sixth and seventh seed. And uh, you know, Philly and Boston they were right there for a minute. And uh, but I do I do feel like hmmm, I feel like, hmmm, do I want to say this? I'm a bail. I'm a bail. I'm not saying that I'm a bail. I was stine. I was gonna say something that was gonna have me in some hot water. SI, it was gonna have me in some hot water because I was gonna pick a team because I really feel this way.
Speaker 2: But I'm a whole is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: This will get aggreated. What I was thinking right now is we'll get acting. But Stein, I learned from you because a lot of times you tell me, don't just say what I'm thinking at that moment, give us, give.
Speaker 2: Us something hugely. You ignore my advice.
Speaker 3: I do most of the time. I but the tip, ask for my old head counsel.
Speaker 2: And then you just do it anyway, which I which I actually admire because I wish because I'm too safe.
Speaker 3: You always have.
Speaker 2: The gumption to say, you know what, I'm just gonna Stein, thanks for looking out, but uh no, I'm gonna do it anyway.
Speaker 3: But Stian, how many times have I said something on this pod? You let it go, and then once the pot is done, you go back to our super producer Ryan and you say, hey, Ryan, I think we should take out what Chris said in a ten to fifteen. Let's take it out.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: The whole time the rest of the pod, I'm thinking, like I'm weighed it. I'm like, should I have said that?
Speaker 4: That may or may not.
Speaker 2: Have happened once or twice in this show's brief history.
Speaker 3: So I listen to you. I listen to you.
Speaker 2: I can't confirm or deny that the larger question here, and the truth is we can't answer it yet. Is has something materially changed in the league, Like do we have new found lasting parody? And I would caution that there's just no way for us to have that answer and know that yet. There's just no way because this season was so bizarre. I mean, we've we have covered this in the past. This is the nineteenth season in the league where you had thirty franchises. In the first eighteen of those seasons, the West averaged five point three fifty win teams. This season, there were only two, and a lot of that was because we had so much I mean, there was just widespread injury throughout the West, and it makes it harder to judge, Like, you know, how can we say it now that this is that this is the new NBA and it's the new way it is when a we don't even know what kind of roster changes we're gonna see from teams for next season. I mean, a bunch of teams could look drastically different. But yeah, I mean, I do agree with what you were saying earlier. The Warriors, they're not your normal number six seed. They're the defending champs. They had to play long stretches of the season with no Steph and no Wiggins. Andrew Wiggins missed forty five games, Stephen Curry missed twenty six. The Lakers, like you said, that's a completely different team now, they made four trades between January twenty third and February ninth. It is a new roster. And I would actually where I would disagree with you. I think even the Heat belong in this category to a degree because I checked with the great Jeff Stotts from in street Clothes dot com, and he keeps a database on every injury in the league. And you know, the Heat were fourth in games lost to injury this season. Only Detroit, Portland and Orlando lost more games to injury. So even they had a very up and down regular season. And even now with this one to zero lead that they take into MSG for Game two, you know, Jimmy Butler's playing with an injury now, and they've lost Tyler Herro and they lost Victor Oladipo. So this is such a strange season. I just I don't know yet if this is the new way. But you know, Lawrence Frank dropped this stat last week when he was doing his season ending media, and he brought it up. Basically, he was saying, the Clippers need to take the regular season more seriously than they have because if you look at it, the last twenty eight champions in the NBA have been a top three seed. We have not seen a champion in the NBA outside the top three since the Houston Rockets in nineteen ninety five, my first full year covering the NBA.
Speaker 3: So I like that he said that, Stuy, But who was he talking to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's I mean, he was clearly from my seat, clearly talking to Kawhi and PG. So how do you think that landed with them? I mean, that's really the question because obviously they you know, Lawrence Frank was effusive in his praise of those guys, and he said, the Clippers want to resign those guys and keep those guys. But if you're talking about taking the regular season more seriously, he could only that could only mean he was referring to Kawhi and Paul George, unless I'm completely missing the point.
Speaker 3: I just want to get.
Speaker 2: Great, so you just let let me get aggregated. Thanks, that's all right, Let's talk talk about the Marquee series. Of Round two. You're gonna be on it both TV wise and writing wise, and you're already there. Warriors Lakers. You know, I'm I'm I kind of brought this up already on Twitter, but I don't think we can say it enough, and it'll be in my story that posts today on substack. You know, the joke always used to be in the David Stern era, the dream series in the NBA offices, when they would talk about their absolute if they could do any playoff matchup that they could, if they could really control it and joystick it, that their dream series would be Lakers versus Lakers because nothing would get better ratings, and Lakers versus Warriors Lebron versus Steph is probably as close to the mythical Lakers versus Lakers matchup. I mean, this is going to be the series that TV ratings or you know, that TV executives dream of, because you know, these guys have already met on the final stage four times. They met on the playing stage once, even though the record books you can't even find that. You tell me, I mean, how psyched are you to be to be on this one? I mean, this is this is uh, you know, Draymond's gonna say you're spying for the Lakers.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I hope we got over that already. I hope, I hope I was able to convince them. But Stan, you know, allow me to reflect real quick, man, Like I grew up Fresne, California, west side of Fresnel.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: I remember watching NBA games on NBC and we went to church every Sunday early in the morning, and so I will only catch about the first quarter of the games that came on. And usually the first games will be those Eastern Conference games, be the New York Knicks, you know, being down in California, but that music would come on, you know, the NBC music. We talked about that, and I just remember watching Ahmad Rashad Peter Vesi doing sidelines for those games, and for some reason, you know, as an eight year old, nine year old kid, you know, they stood out to me. And that's way before I even even thought about pursuing journalism or anything. First of all, I didn't think about pursuing that until my late twenties. But man, I am so honored, man so honored to be doing this, doing this game, covering this game, being on the sidelines for the Lakers Warriors, Lebron, Steph. I've covered Lebron for ten years. I've covered Steph for what was it about four or five years? Man, it hasn't hit home, man, So I'm excited. I'm I'm stoked, Man, I'm super stoked to be on it. What do I expect? I don't know. I don't know what. I don't know what I'll expect Stein, But I'll tell you this, man, I know Lebron, James and Stephen Curry. They're definitely up for this task. This was I talked to Lebron believe I believe it was his first year when he came with the Lakers, and we were talking about these scenarios about what the NBA. We was having just a conversation on the side about what the dream matchups the NBA wants to wants to see. And he brought that up, Star, he brought that up, said for sure they want the Lakers or Warriors. You know at that time he said Lakers Warriors Western Conference Finals. And you know this is the second round. But this is man, I can't wait, Starn. I'm very excited. I'm very humble, man, Thank God for this opportunity man, So hopefully I can do my job and stay out the way and let them perform.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I'm happy for you. I mean that's you know, obviously, that's I can hear the excitement in your voice. I totally get. It's funny though, like just just what you know, the age difference between us, because I you know, of your generation, there is such reverence for the NBC broadcast and the song you know, Roundball Rock. But I feel the exact same way about the eighties when it was on CBS, and like the CBS music from the eighties will just stop me in my tracks.
Speaker 3: I like, yeah, I have to. I don't even know if that sounds like that. I need to go to that.
Speaker 2: Because there was you know, basketball was the NBA was very very much the third class citizen. You know, Baseball was almost on equal footing with the NFL. And when I was probably you know, when I was really just becoming a sports fan in the seventies, I would argue baseball had a larger profile. So, I mean, you know, throughout the eighties, baseball and football, you know it it took Magic and Mic, It took Magic and Larry and then Michael to, you know, push the NBA to the heights that had ultimately reached. But in the eighties a national TV game on CBS, they were rarer and just like I said, I would hear that. I'm surprised you actually haven't heard this like that the eighties CBS music like oh, just like perfection and yeah, I get misty eye just think about that. So it's just just funny the uh you know that you feel the same way about about the nineties, and I'm sure, I'm sure, mister VESSI will love hearing the hearing you say that. I mean, look, but this series, like we talk about Lebron being, you know, the greatest thirty eight year old we've ever seen, and nobody has ever aged like him. I think we got to start saying that about Steph. He looks fantastic and it's I remember when the Mavericks went on their title run in twenty eleven, and I would talk a lot about this with Paija Stoyakovich, who was a former All Star and a great shooter scorer in his own right, but at that point he was a role player, and Pajia would marvel at what Dirk was doing on that title run in twenty eleven, and when I would speak about this with Paiga, he would say, like Dirk, you know, we would both kind of say that. You know, Dirk is a surgeon now like in his later stages, he knew exactly what he wanted to do, exactly how to get to his spots, exactly how to operate. And that's just that's how I feel with Steph.
Speaker 4: I mean, he.
Speaker 2: You know, he would not let his team lose that Game seven in Sacramento, and uh, you know got inside more than really we've ever seen him. You know, took the thirty eight shots on a on a on an afternoon that most of his teammates outside of Kaan Looney didn't have it. I mean, that was that was surgeon like.
Speaker 3: So here's a I might regret going on to this topic, but again it's.
Speaker 2: A good say something, say something, say something crazy, so it takes takes the focus off whatever I've said.
Speaker 3: Stile. So now Steph, I mean, he's he's gotten this recognition before, but after that performance Game seven, people are saying the greatest point guard in history. I don't know that I have a problem with that. The hard thing about that sinking in for me, is is he the best point guard ever? Or is he the best player to be labeled a point guard? Does that make.
Speaker 2: Because I don't I don't look at him as a pure point guard.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, yeah, I don't. I don't need but people will go people get crazy when you say that. They get defensive about that, and so it's like I have a hard time, like, are we talking about you know, are we talking about he's the best point guard ever? Because the point guard has certain obligations, certain responsibilities. And I'm not saying, Steph, I'll see I'm gonna get myself in trouble, but you get what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, and you're not. Look, you're not getting in any trouble with me. I mean, to me, greatest point guard. Like, you know, it's pretty hard to rest that mantle for Magic Johnson. I you know, I don't. I don't think he's not gonna get like that. One's not up for debate for me. But you know, the debate is communist Steph a top ten player? And I say unequivocally, yes, he is a top ten player, not only not only for his complete body of work, which he's you know, after winning the Finals MVP. He's won everything now. But also when you bring in the change the game factors, he has that, and you know, Dirk had that too, and I thought that was you know, Dirk only has one championship on his resume, but that's one of the things that I think puts Dirk in the top twenty. Dirk changed his position. Stephen Curry changed what constitute a good shot in the NBA. He changed the shooting range for a whole generation. And I looked this up. Howard Beck did a piece on Steph last year and Draymond had this fantastic quote in here, which I think backs up your point. Steph'son anomaly. He's different than anything we've ever seen in this league. He's not Alan Iverson, he's not Isaiah Thomas, he's not Ray Allen, he's not Reggie Miller. He's like some mix of all those guys. So I'm in total agreement with you and Draymond. He's not a point guard. I don't even look at him like that, especially in this positionless era. But you know, we we could do a whole show debating top ten, and for some people, they're not going to have Steph in the top ten, But you know, I think he belongs there.
Speaker 3: I'll put the top ten. Yeah, I put them top ten. But is there anybody else that's in that category where we really can't give them a position, like they really don't do, not hold a primary position. They're just great, They're just great basketb.
Speaker 2: Play At this point, I mean, what is Lebron's position? He's played them all, I mean except center. Yeah, I mean he's He's been elite as a one, as a four, as a three. I mean, so I don't I don't think he I don't think you can put him him in a positional box either.
Speaker 3: Well, I think most people say he's a small four, But I get your point. He's played at all.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Will Russell kareem their centers, MJ is, you know, the quintessential two guard of all time, And obviously you know he's a lot of people's goat. But I think, I you know, that's the thing is, I think I think Lebron and Steph who've played the bulk of their career in this positionless era. Yeah, like, I'm not so hung up on player designations. But look, whatever we say, people will disagree with it. That's fine. These are. You know, these are all topics that everybody gets, you know, crazy mad about.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: Series wise. You know, I'm picking the Warriors. I'm not picking against you know, last year I said it, I I last year I got all swept up in you know, the MAVs took out Phoenix and I actually made the regrettable mistake, despite having spent so much time with the Warriors for the first three years their dynasty. I you know, I picked the Mavericks to beat the Warriors and was made to look foolish. Huge mistake. The Warriors and all their playoff know how Sacramento just experienced it. You know, how much did we talk about the Kings going or how much do we talk about the Warriors being eleven and thirty on the road and then well, the only road record that matters is they're two and one now on the road and they got two road or two and two on the road, and they got two wins and sack and and there in the second round. I just a d and Lebron are gonna know. Ad was a defensive monster in the Memphis series. I mean he was He showed you what the best defensive player in the league looks like he was. You know, when Anthony Davis plays like that, he is the best defensive force in the league, but offensively he was a bit up and down. I think both he and Lebron are gonna have to play at a higher level in this round for them to beat the Warriors. I just, you know, unless the Lakers others come up huge. You know, if Reeves and Hatchamura and Vanderbilt and but Beasley and all these guys. You know, if you know, if those guys play above themselves, I might look foolish here, but I'm I'm not picking against Golden State after what they just did not in the West.
Speaker 3: Can we Giveloney unreal? Oh my goodness. So I'm I want to see this matchup Kavan Looney Anthony Davis. I want to see if he can have a similar impact defensively on the game like he did in dominating his matchup with th My Sabonis Man. Kavan Looney was a beast, Oh my goodness, the unsung hero of the Golden State Wars.
Speaker 2: I've been saying this one for years. Find yourself someone who loves you the way Steve Kerr loves Kevon Looney, Kavan Looney is Steve Kerr's favorite player. I've told Steve Kerr that I say this. He laughs because he knows it's true. But I mean, what that guy is an incredible story, the player that he's become after all the injuries to now become an iron man who never missed his games and a twenty rebound machine. I mean, that's the thing. I just you know, there are a lot of things that the Lakers are gonna have to overcome to win this series. But you're lucky man, envious that that you're gonna be right there in the middle of it all.
Speaker 3: And I have to My friend is getting on me right now because he was the one that was telling me I'm not giving Kval Loony enough love, So you know, I have to give him a shout out. My guy t Hall over here at Terrence Hall, he was the one to put it.
Speaker 2: You buy T Hall's room service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm taking care of it. He got some he got some pizza and some wings. He got some piece and some wings. I'm taking care of it. That's how your friends do, Star. They come over visit and order room service.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Oh you I might just show up for like Game three or Game four and just knock on, ring the ring. I can't knock on the door because you stay in such nice places. I gotta ring the doorbell.
Speaker 3: These are my frids. Man, get you some friends. Man show up unexpectedly and charge your room service. Those are good friends, man, he said, the best the world.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'm gonna let you and t Hall enjoy the rest of the evening. Look, there's lots more here that we're gonna get to. A Grizzlies post mortem after the way memphisis season ended. What this means going forward for John Morant, What this means going forward for Dylan Brooks. I think there's a growing sense around the league that questioning there's certainly questions about the Grizzlies appetite going forward. Do they really want to bring Dylan Brooks back? Is that a change we're gonna see from the Grizzlies. But look, we're gonna be talking lots about the Grizzlies. I think once we start moving in to the off season portion of the show, we will get more into Denver Phoenix, which Game two is going on as we record this Game two of Nick's Heat Tuesday Night, Amazing season for the Kings. I mean it was you know, and we've talked a lot about the Kings, but you know, I really kind of feel like, yes, they had a two zero lead and couldn't convert it, But to me, there's nothing that can besmirch their season after missing the playoffs sixteen years in a row, just to do what they did and push the Warriors the way they did. I'm sure they're disappointed, and I know Kings fans are probably inconsolable, but I still think when they step away that that season is going to go down as a success.
Speaker 3: Hell of a year year. I can't take that boy for him.
Speaker 2: All Right, it was a great first round. Let's hope the second round can maintain that level. Injuries, of course, are always the thing that can throw us. And you know, we got a monitor the Jimmy Butler situation, got a monitor what happens next with them bed but both of their teams, Miami and Philly. By winning Game one on the road, their teams have this option. Now, maybe they rest the star in game two and you know, bring Butler back, bring them be back in game three, and hope that those guys are a little bit closer to the expected level. We'll get into all of that in the next edition of This League, Uncut later this week. In the meantime, everyone please rate, review, subscribe to the show. Chris and I'll be back in a couple of days with more. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 4: Everybody, and that'll do it for us. See you next time.
Speaker 2: This League Uncut is and iHeartRadio production.
Speaker 4: Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 2: Don't