Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is the last week of twenty twenty five, and it might feel to you like the year just flu blah. It could all just be a blur, But actually there were some major stories this year that you absolutely should remember should and we're about to test your knowledge as you test ours, and welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Roapes. You were pretty excited about this, to the point you said, whoa, WHOA, not going to look at any of these questions because we want to be able to take this quiz live. If you will here on the episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we're hoping that all of you listening will take it along with us and learn something along the way, or maybe just re remember something you forgot. But the AP put out a test, do you remember what happened in twenty twenty five? I thought it was very intriguing. I jumped on and we did the first question just to see how it works. But it's multiple choice, so we're going to read along the questions. We'll take our best guest, we'll find out if we're right or wrong. You could play along with us, but yes, shame on us if we don't get this right. This is actually this could be embarrassing.
Speaker 1: This is kind of bold and stupid thing of you to say that we should get them.
Speaker 2: All all right. So first question, Yes, we actually went out and covered this one. So if we didn't know this when this would have been sad. Which common cause was quickly ruled out in the January twenty twenty five Los Angeles wildfires, utility lines, fireworks, lightning or arson?
Speaker 1: Now I would have had to stop and think. If you would have asked me that question and not given me multiple choice, it would have taken me a minute to come up with the right answer. Probably yes.
Speaker 2: So we guessed lightning and they gave us the correct While lightning is the most common source of fires in the US, investigators were able to rule that out quickly, and they have suited utility company alleging that it was its equipment that sparked the fires. So you're getting a little information along the way. So I love this quiz. Okay, Second question in January twenty twenty five, when President elect Donald Trump would not rule out seizing which canal Suez Canal, Kiel Canal, Panama Canal, or Corinth Canal.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: Obviously we think it's the Panama Canal. And it's so funny given our location right now as we that makes me laugh. And here we go. Correct before his inauguration, we were correct, all right? Number three? About how many US capital attack defendants did President Donald Trump pardon on January twentieth, twenty twenty five. Was it five hundred? Was it fifteen hundred? Was it two hundred? Was it five thousand? I think it was fifteen hundred, five hundred, fifteen hundred, two hundred or five thousand?
Speaker 1: We are separate on this one. Oh, I'm going with the lower number, five hundred.
Speaker 2: So which one should I put in.
Speaker 1: The right answer?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I know we'll put in yours.
Speaker 1: Strong or do you how strongly do you feel about yours? You know what's messing me up? I'm thinking about Biden's pardons and that number was in the fifteen eighteen hundred.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's messing me up.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm thinking maybe that's maybe I don't know's that's what's messing with me.
Speaker 2: So I think fifteen hundred. Do you think five hundred.
Speaker 1: When that many folks they got convicted?
Speaker 2: No, you're right, it's probably five hundred.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're probably I'm gonna go with five hundred. If you've convinced me, oh it was fifteen hundred. You always are supposed to go with your first thought. Okay, it was fifteen hundred, all right. Question four? Before investigators found a cause? What did President Donald Trump blame for the Reagan National Airport crash in January twenty twenty five? I already know this one. Pilot error, diversity hiring policies, severe weather or bird strike? It was diversity hiring policies.
Speaker 1: Say the name. Say the question again. I remember that story well.
Speaker 2: Before investigators found a cause. What did President Donald Trump blame for the Reagan National Airport crash in January twenty twenty five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a whole I remember heg seth putting some stuff.
Speaker 2: Out diversity hiring policies. Okay, I'm going to put that in and we are correct. Okay. Fifth question in February of twenty twenty five, where did a humpback briefly swallow a kayaker in Chilean Patagonia? Was it the Beagle Channel, the Strait of Magellan, the Drake Passage, or the Gulf of Painas.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a straight guess for me.
Speaker 2: It's not the Drake Passage. I know that at the second was your Strait of Magellan.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I don't know why that's speaking.
Speaker 2: To me Chilean. I'm just trying to think of geography, the Gulf of Penas.
Speaker 1: What this means is what I don't know.
Speaker 2: Then, Okay, I'm going to actually, okay, I'll take this one and guess Golf of Painnis. Incorrect, it was straight of Magellan. You were right. Okay, we even each other out. We evened each other out. Oh my goodness. Okay, this is the sixth question. In February, which title won both Record and Song of the Year at the twenty twenty five Grammys. Espresso, not like US, Flowers Texas holder.
Speaker 1: That's enough. We don't, kay, Dot had a year.
Speaker 2: Okay, not like US is the answer, and correct.
Speaker 1: We're just in February, Phantom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Okay, here's the next question. What deal did Ukraine's president leave the White House without signing after a heated meeting in February of twenty twenty five? Grain export packed IMF loan program, Ukraine Rare earth steal or NATO membership treaty.
Speaker 1: We're on the same page.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ukraine, Yes, Ukraine. Rare Earth Steal is what we're going to go with and boom we were correct.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Next question, which Dolly Parton hit was inspired by her husband and a bank teller? Wow? I jumped, Yes, Okay, you don't need multiple choice. It was either nine to five Code of Many Colors, Joline or Islands in the Stream.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we have some context. I'm so excited because I just learned that this was her song probably about eighteen months two years ago, and then probably within the past three or four months, I realize what the song was about. So now I'm very excited to be able to get that answer right.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was a bank teller who showed interest in her husband. It inspired the song. That's really cool, all right. Next question, which night which sorry? Which seventeen ninety eight law was used to deport hundreds of l hundreds to El Salvador in March of twenty twenty five despite a judge's order. Was it the Sedition Act, the Logan Act, the Alien Enemies Act, or the Insurrection Act Alien Enemies Alien Enemies Act is correct? All right? Next question, what was the immigration status of the Columbia University protest leader Federal immigration authorities arrested in March of twenty twenty five. What was the immigration status student visa green card holder in the US illegally or a tourist visa holder.
Speaker 1: He wasn't in illegally, right, Give me the first two gains?
Speaker 2: He was so student visa. He was a Columbia University protest leader.
Speaker 1: He was here legally, so you don't think he.
Speaker 2: Was in the Yes, it was either student visa, green card holder or tourist visa holder. I'm going to go with student visa green card holder. He could have been either student visa or green card holder. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's going to add I'm missing some details. That's going to be a guest I cannot remember. I just remember he was here legally, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: But I would think he was. I'm going to go should we say student visa or you would you rather do green card?
Speaker 1: Was he a student?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Okay, green card, We'll go with green card. We got it right, Green card holder? He was not. He was not, Okay, next question. In March of twenty twenty five, the Commerce Secretary was accused of violating the law for telling people to buy stock in which company Amazon, Tesla, Meta or Coinbase.
Speaker 1: Damn, I don't remember this thether it was.
Speaker 2: I would think it was either Tesla or Coinbase.
Speaker 1: I do not remember this at all. Educated guess who would they be involved with? They were still tight with Tesla at the time. But what was the coin base?
Speaker 2: Coinbase? Because of? Because of that's the whole basically, Uh, why can't be cryptocurrency?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mmm, I'm gonna go. I don't know, my guess I would just go they tell you said, buy Tesla, buy Coinbase. We would remember.
Speaker 2: Tesla, so it must be Coinbase. Okay, let's go with Coinbase. Nope, it's Tesla. You know, people are at home screaming it's Tesla because they know.
Speaker 1: Because it seemed like that's the obvious one, and that's why I went against that. I don't we don't remember the White House telling people to buy stock in the company of a guy who was working at the White House at the time.
Speaker 2: That seems so outrageous. It didn't seem possible, but apparently yes, it happened all right. Where was the epicenter of the seven point seven quake that shook Bangkok on March twenty eighth, twenty twenty five. Was it the Gulf of Thailand? Was it near mandalay Me and Mar? Was it Northern Laos? Laos? Sorry, Northern Laos or the and domin.
Speaker 1: Se Okay, yeah, that's going to be a guest. I remember I thought it was being in the north out in the in the sea somewhere.
Speaker 2: I thought so too. So either this. I think it's either the Gulf of Thailand or the Andeman Sea. Which one I got?
Speaker 1: That's geography. I got nothing.
Speaker 2: Oh man, let's do Oneman Sea.
Speaker 1: Boom.
Speaker 2: It was mandalay Me and Mar. You know what's so funny is my brain went there, but then I thought, no, wow, I should just always go with my first.
Speaker 1: It didn't remind me. But hearing it didn't go Oh okay, it didn't trigger anything.
Speaker 2: So no, all right. Next question. Actor Val Kilmer died in April of twenty twenty five. Which of these movies did he not act in? Oh, this is easy, okay, Tombstone, Batman, Forever to Gun or Dirty Dancing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he was at that party.
Speaker 2: When nobody Baby in a corner. Dirty Dancing, Yes, we got that one. He would have. Actually, you are correct, what gift. Did Pope Francis give JD Vans for his children? In April of twenty twenty five during Easter at the Vatican, did he give them? The Pope Francis give jd Vance? Remember he visited with the Pope right before he died, So did he give JD vance? Rosary bracelets, Easter cookies, three chocolate eggs, or Vatican medals. I'm gonna go with rosary bracelets?
Speaker 1: Was that a? Yes, That's what I was going to go with.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that's correct. I'm wrong, Yeah, three chocolate eggs, eggs. I would never have gotten that the week before. Yes, he died, Yes, that.
Speaker 1: Meeting, it might have even been Dad might have been less than that. But my good, wow, we remember that and we don't remember some damn.
Speaker 2: I didn't remember the chocolate eggs. While we're not doing well? Okay. In April of twenty twenty five, what did Tennessee's parole board recommend for country star Jelly Roll a probation term, a pardon, a record expungement, a parole release.
Speaker 1: He ends up getting a pardon? Was say the question again?
Speaker 2: What did the Tennessees? What did Tennessee's parole board recommend either a probation term, a pardon, a record expungement, or a parole release. I guess a pardon.
Speaker 1: He ended up getting the pardon, so maybe he asked the governor for a pardon and he got it. But is this a trick question? Is what I'm saying. Did he have to go through a process of requesting and then the board has to recommend the partner that's pardon?
Speaker 2: Exactly? We're right, okay, he got a fright.
Speaker 1: See, this is our problem. We're overthinking it.
Speaker 2: I know. Actually, if I had just put in what my first thought was for each one, we would have a perfect score.
Speaker 1: Here you go.
Speaker 2: No, But then I overthink it and I rethink it, and then I get it wrong. This is always my problem when I tests, all right, how long did Corey Booker's record Senate speech last in April of twenty twenty five? Was it twenty four hours eighteen minutes he made? Was it twenty five hours five minutes? Was it twenty hours thirty minutes? Or was it thirty hours one minute?
Speaker 1: I want to go with twenty five. For some reason, you.
Speaker 2: Want to go with twenty five. Yeah, that's the best.
Speaker 1: Twenty four. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I think it's twenty five to five or twenty four eighteen, And I don't know which one it is. You're gonna go with twenty five five.
Speaker 1: That's one I would go with. I've taken it.
Speaker 2: You got it right?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Boom, all right? What did Susan Crawford's April twenty twenty five election win secure for Wisconsin's Supreme Court? Did it win them a four to three conservative majority, non partisan balance, a four to three liberal majority, or a chief justice change?
Speaker 1: Damn? That's we covered this one. And which way did it go?
Speaker 2: Yes? It either went conservative majority or liberal majority. And I don't know if I had to, God, when was this April twenty twenty five? I kind of buddy, this is embarrassing.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, this is no they're giving you. It's when one way or the other way? Okay, way, I'm trying to remember the details here, baby. We covered this damn story because it was a big deal. What's gonna happen? Who won this? Suck extabage?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna if I had to guess, I'd guess liberal majority. Are you are you leaning that way or the other way?
Speaker 1: What was it before.
Speaker 2: I don't know. So you're saying it could be a non partisan balance.
Speaker 1: Man, this suck because we we it was such a big deal ahead of time, say wow, keep an eye on this race because it could change the balance and it could change how elections are done up. This was such a big deal. I'm going conservative.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll go with your conservative. And it was liberal it all right. They secured a four to three liberal majority. Okay. Question eighteen, which proposed reform, sparked in his lomist rally in May of twenty twenty five in Bangladesh, Fair elections, death penalty, religious nationalism or women's equality, which proposed reform sparked in his longest rally. I'm going to go with women's equality.
Speaker 1: Are you remember?
Speaker 2: Okay? Are you okay?
Speaker 1: I don't remember?
Speaker 2: And that was correct? Okay? Which historic first did Pope Leo's election in May of twenty twenty five represent for the Catholic Church? This is easy. First Asian pope, first US born pope, first Jesuit pope, first African pope. Obviously it's the first usborn hope. Okay.
Speaker 1: The ap they stump you and then they throw that at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they want to make you feel better about it?
Speaker 1: Are going to be a ditty question in here?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness? Maybe? All right? The Minnesota suspect in two lawmakers shootings posed as what during the June twenty twenty five attacks, a delivery driver, a utility worker, a police officer, or a firefighter? Police officer? Right, and survey says correct, All right, Here is question twenty one. Oh, we only have four more, so we will do this one and then we'll go to break. Here's the one before break. How strong was the July twenty twenty five quake in Russia's Kemchatka region that set off Pacific wide tsunami warnings?
Speaker 1: Can I say seven point eight? Is that on the list somewhere?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, but close?
Speaker 2: How strong was the July twenty twenty five quake in Russia's region that set off Pacific wide tsunami warnings? Was it eight point two, eight point eight, seven point five or nine point one?
Speaker 1: I want to go eight point two for some reason.
Speaker 2: Eight point two?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I remember them. Yeah, that was a strong quake.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go with eight points.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think it's either eight point two or eight point eight eight point eight is.
Speaker 1: A my monster his you know what, it was a history making earthquake. It was for its power. But still eight point two eight point eight, that's a that's a guest. Now, all right?
Speaker 2: Which one should I go with?
Speaker 1: We don't hear eight point eight? So a lot do we know? That's so I'm thinking it would be lest I'm saying an eight point eight would have been a okay.
Speaker 2: So let's do eight point two. It was eight point eight?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. All right here, I'm gonna how about this. I will ask this question and we'll give the We'll give the multip choice, and then we'll tell you the answer after the break. How about this? Okay? Which title did Carlo Accutis hold after his September twenty twenty five canonization. I think I know this. Youngest Saint ever, first millennial Saint, first Italian Saint, or the Patron of Animals. We'll have the answer when we come back. Welcome back. We are taking the APS year ender quiz. What do you remember? How much do you remember about the major news headlines of twenty twenty five? So far we are doing worse than we would have liked, but we hope we're all learning something along the way. So we left you with this question. Which title did Carlo Acutis hold after his September twenty twenty five canonization. Was he the youngest Saint ever? Was he the first millennial Saint, the first Italian Saint? Or the patron of Animals? I am going to go with first millennial saint.
Speaker 1: Uh. The other one is young, but not the youngest.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was the young he could that's the only other one. I think it could have been the youngest Saint ever or the first millennial saint. But I just remember the headlines making it be a lot about him being the first millennial saint.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't. I don't know what a millennial is.
Speaker 2: So correct, Okay, all right, first millennial saint, let's see, And that is correct, because I think he was. I think he he was older than you would think, but he was young when he started getting millennials and kids on board to this Catholic website just to get them involved in faith. So that was something I just remembered, all right. Next question. In October of twenty twenty five, which outlet signed the Pentagon's new press rules. Was it Fox News. Was it One American News, the Associated Press or Newsmax?
Speaker 1: What was the second one?
Speaker 2: One American News? Yeah, exactly that that's my guess. BUTSX, yes, oh Newsmax. You're right? Which outlet signed the Pentagon's new Press rules. These are the rules that say you have to basically check with the Pentagon before you can release any information.
Speaker 1: What was ITSX does? What is there?
Speaker 2: Hah?
Speaker 1: I thought they were, Well, they're all right established.
Speaker 2: Newsmax or one American News.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not sure what those two actually do, so we know it wasn't Fox or AP, correct. I'm just not familiar enough with news Max and the other.
Speaker 2: All right, if we had to pick, I'm going to just pick One American News because it sounds more patriotic. And that's correct. All right? Cool? Next question? Which amendment limits US presidents to two elected terms blocking a third term? Bit? Is it the twelfth Amendment, twenty second Amendment, twentieth Amendment, or the twenty fifth Amendment? I do not know.
Speaker 1: It's not the twenty fifth.
Speaker 2: Okay, what amendment limits US presidents to two elected terms? And obviously this is becoma big story or twelfth Amendment, twenty second Amendment, twentieth Amendment, or the twenty fifth Amendment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is history. This is just American history, and just the twenty fifth is the one that for the president if he's out of commission, that the the vice president takes over if he is I know that one.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed you do, because I did not.
Speaker 1: Know that, because that's the one they always talk about it invoking when somebody is incapacitated or when even when a president has surgery, they invoked the twenty fifth. That's okay, twentieth and twenty second, twelfth. I have zero clue what the twelfth is, all right, so yeah, this is all just okay, we'll just guess early. How early were we of this? How early in this country.
Speaker 2: Did we establish I would say pretty early earlier, right, I would say, So, you're right, maybe by that logic, let's go with twelfth. Let's go I think that's a good way to look at it. And we were wrong. It was twenty second. Wow, it was ratified in nineteen fifty one, after FDR's fourth term presidency. Yeah, that was a little bit of history that we forgot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we forgot because you know what we're thinking about is you know what I'm thinking about? George Washington? So was that it wasn't a law? He just said, no, I'm stepping away after two terms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is exactly where my mind went to, exactly George Washington. But yes, FDR, that's a little before our times. But and it's been a while since I've been in history class, so that was a good little refresher. All right, So here is the final question. After two National Guard troops were shot in November twenty twenty five near the White House, how many more were sent to Washington, DC? So this is just recent either two hundred that's it, one thousand, five hundred or five thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My first reaction was the two hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, then let's go with it.
Speaker 1: My head before you said five okay, then.
Speaker 2: Let's go with that, because I always think those are the best answers. And it was five hundred, so close enough. The shooting of two National Guard numbers, well it was the next lowest number, two hundred, five hundred, one thousand, five thousand. All right, So here's what we got could be better. You've got a decent grasp of this year's news, but you might want to subscribe. That's smart. They're trying to get you to realize that you need to be more in tune with the news, and if you subscribe to the AP, you will be better informed.
Speaker 1: That is bullshit what I'm saying. No, the AP. I think it was a promotional to of course, just a promotional tool. But they they ask ask things that make you feel like you aren't informed. These are very specific details about things and which just fine. Who makes it fun? But please, people, don't think you're not informed and you need to buy a subscription to the AP because you didn't know two hundred and five hundred troops or which amendment that your teacher told you about in fourth grade is the one that gives your term loads. It's okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, we read news every day, more so than most and so yes, just if you take the test, or if you take any of these tests, just keep that in mind. These are usually designed with a purpose.
Speaker 1: Don't feel bad about yourself. Well, these are always fine. Quizzes are always fun.
Speaker 2: I love it all right. Well, thank you for listening to us. We hope you guys had some fun playing along with us. We always appreciate you tuning in. I'm Amy Roeboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We will talk to you soon.