Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producer Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from biggiees Balls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons, to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being remembered by casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. It is not worth the while to let our imperfections disturb us. Always Henry Threau. Once you truly embrace the truth that we are a work in progress. Things will ease off, You'll relax a little more, and it'll take the pressure off of you. We are not perfect, and our imperfections really inspire us to be better people. We can always make a choice to be better, love more, judge less, and know that it's all going to work out for the.
Speaker 2: Best in the end.
Speaker 1: Today I will celebrate everything in my life. Before we get started, I'd like to remind everyone to look out for my new show, Inside the Black Box. I'll be co hosting with the great Joe Morton. We'll be on Crackle Network real soon. I'll keep you posted. Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I am so thrilled to have our guest on today because I love when I get a chance to really have a conversation with a solid actor, and this guest is so solid for me, and I feel like the timing is impeccable because now the sun is coming out, we can photosynthesize, we can be smiling now and we're comors.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is perfect to bring him off.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, please please put your hands together for actor extraordinaire, mister Rayon Lauren.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Tracy, thank you so much. Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. I'm excited for you to be here as well.
Speaker 1: When I was, excuse me, looking at the IMDb dot com, which I tell all actors they know where to go, so barbershop too, I coached Eve and when I read your credit, I was like he had to beat by. How were you but Barbershop one, I was on the whole set in winter Chicago.
Speaker 2: Barbershop two.
Speaker 1: I only needed to be there two weeks, so I don't you know, that's when I was there. But that was a common denominator between us.
Speaker 3: Oh, barbershop, barber shops. Fun, great cast, yes.
Speaker 2: Bigger though that the one you did was a huge cast.
Speaker 3: And I was able to actually be there with everybody. You know that that was the fun part. Everybody, you know, Quh Michael, like Nicki.
Speaker 4: Minaj, everybody when I was there, So that was cool to be amongst them, and nobody was Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Everybody was cool. You know, we feel like we're all you know, we're all.
Speaker 4: At that level, you know, And it was Yeah, we had so much fun, me especially me, JB and and Cedric would be making jokes.
Speaker 2: Cedric you yeah, let me tell you, Cedric, Cedric is crazy.
Speaker 5: We all know that.
Speaker 2: But Barbershop won during the takes, Like there was a scene where it was all of us.
Speaker 1: It was Eve, ice ice Q, Cedric, Michael Ely, Sean Patrick and we were all like.
Speaker 2: Just talking in the barbershop. And so when it was when ice Cube would speak, Cedric would lead.
Speaker 6: Because I had ears on the set, he would lead it to even be like you know better abuse.
Speaker 7: It was a crazy like yo e.
Speaker 1: Her biting a hole in her bottom lip like and then Tim would say cut and he would be like, Tedrick, I'm not playing with you.
Speaker 2: Taker. He was like, oh Whatgital, but I want to.
Speaker 1: We had the board, We have the the a D board right on the set and so he would walk over here. One day he tried to give us a lesson in architect like it was he just did the most random supit stuff, but he messed with it.
Speaker 2: It was so much fun.
Speaker 3: He's great energy on set energy yeah he does, he does.
Speaker 2: And we had night shoots.
Speaker 1: So I decided that I wanted to title this the Journey of an Actor because of like the credits that I've read. Specifically, I love seeing actors resume when they've done a lot of New York shows, and so that just tells me as a casting director that that the New York casting world is very familiar with you, and you know, because we talk among ourselves, we.
Speaker 2: Share people and all that others. So I just want to start at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about your journey, like why did you choose acting or did acting choose you?
Speaker 3: Ah, that's that's that's a good. That's a good. Uh, that's good. I would say acting chose me.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna tell you how growing up I would I would get, you know, different people that would say, hey, you know you have that look. You hit that you know people, you got that look. So one time I was I was bored. I wasn't working at the time.
Speaker 3: I was just going to school, and I was like, you know what, I'm hearing people say, you got this look? Let me let me go and take some headshots somewhere.
Speaker 4: So in New York Kings Pause, I went to King Swash, Yeah, at that little portrait place that they do pictures, and I looking at the news and say, you know, I've been in the game for a minute looking at that, and there was a casting that was looking for actors and models, and I was like, Okay, let me these pictures that I got from King Saws.
Speaker 3: Let me send it to him. I send it to him. They bring me in and say, hey, you know, you know, we love you, love your shots.
Speaker 4: We want to work with you. My very first audition was for ESPN commercial call Take the Field, and I booked it very first audition. So now I'm doing you know, now auditioning for auditioning and I'm doing model at the same time, both together, and I just.
Speaker 3: Acting was more rewarding.
Speaker 4: You know, you're sitting now, you learn the craft uh modeling, You're there for hours in your you get you know, honestly, you're bored.
Speaker 3: You did probably four hours doing.
Speaker 4: Nothing at least when you want set acting, you're there for four us. But you're studying your lines, you know. So I think that was more of a thing for me. Is just you know, an intellect. It's just really learning and really understanding what these characters about. I think that's what was the intriguing part of it. This one time earlier in my career, I was actually working with I forget the name, right now of just talking about it today.
Speaker 3: Uh, who's the Top Modeling again? What's his name?
Speaker 1: Black Top Model's month yestor's.
Speaker 3: Mother early in my career and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, she was like, Ray, I'm going to send you on these three auditions if you don't cut your beer because at the time I had a goatee and you know.
Speaker 3: Not do commercial modeling. They want yeah clean, And I was like, I don't want to cut it. I like how I looked at them.
Speaker 4: Anyway, she sent me the three audition I still ain't cut my beer. Yeah, at that time, you're not even as an actor, as a model, and you're just doing what you want to do. We work after that, but you know, it was going to show me the growth that I've done all these years about listening.
Speaker 3: You know, the people have been for a while, So that was how I got into acting.
Speaker 1: So you said something, And I want to point this out because I have been to coach Tyson. I've known Hillary for years, Beth Anne Hartisan and also Cynthia Bailey. And one of the things that I really appreciate love about models is that you guys don't have any words, but you have the ability to sell something.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So how can.
Speaker 1: We now translate because there's something about your physicality that I see in a poster.
Speaker 2: And like, I got to get this one. You know what I'm saying so and you're not saying so. For me, it's almost as if models really have their hands tied behind their backs right with the words.
Speaker 1: Because musical artists and like athletes and hosts that I helped transition, there's something that connects and they and they speak vocally. So I say, it's very powerful, you know, platform and foundation for you to be standing on because you were forced through your physical you know, animations and gestures to convey a message, which it sounds like you successfully did because ESPN is not.
Speaker 4: And then growing up watching ESPN, you know, to be able to do your your very first audition BOOKT is amazing. And going back to what you were saying about, you know, you know, portraying something without the words, but now with the acting, we both know now when we do have times where it's no lines, what are you doing inside to be able to give what this actor is feeling? I learn how if I'm doing modeling, what's your intent?
Speaker 2: What do you?
Speaker 4: Like? You said like you're trying to sell your selling this clothes. You know how you trying to without saying the words.
Speaker 3: So I think I help that.
Speaker 4: So now if I go, I've done modeling here and there, spread it out throughout my career, but you can go back to it now and bring what you learn into acting right to the modeling park.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, because like now I see you know especially like I agree, you do have a great look.
Speaker 2: It's very unique. It's for me. It's your odds. Your eyes really say a lot.
Speaker 1: And help me determine what type of characters that you know, I would be thinking.
Speaker 2: So when I look at your resume from you know, Blue Bloods to.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Lee Daniels Pien, Yes, unlike.
Speaker 1: The versatility there you know what I mean. So but this is what I love because Rayon, for real, like I've been doing this for a very very long time, I mean decades, and.
Speaker 3: I know you you're doing it.
Speaker 1: I know you know, and I appreciate you. Love that for y'all because I love actors. There is something about you and I want, like I get a chance to see you. This is an audio except for your dry and my kid love and stuff, but I get to really see and resonate with your energy. And I also feel like if I didn't see you, I would still resonate with your energy. You come from a place where you just don't appear to be jaded like most actors are.
Speaker 2: And it's not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: It's just that actors can There are people too, but they can quote unquote stress about some crazy stuff, right.
Speaker 2: And I come from live auditions.
Speaker 1: I come from when actors really had to sit by the phone and wait for somebody to call, or get an answer machine or get an answering service for ten dollars a month.
Speaker 2: That would answer for you. So you're not any of that or ooh, gotta make it.
Speaker 1: What grounds you because you booked your first job off of like and anybody that knows, like if you've ever seen Sears photos or pennies, you know the Christmas that's the photos he took you guys, ESPN.
Speaker 3: Gig, Yes for real And I didn't know, right, You're just like I know.
Speaker 2: Ignorance is bliss though, because it wasn't for to you. They were the best pictures you took.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly and you and you stepping in the Tracey up. I'll come to accomplice all I want to go in. I'm about to be the best ever.
Speaker 3: You know, you just you just excited, but you see the growth throughout all. You see a hearted but you love it.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, because it keeps using, you know, to get those yes. That's what yes are so important. When you get those yeses, do all the nose that you get.
Speaker 1: This is why I've always learned to trust my instinct. But more importantly, there's always a voice that speed before my thoughts. And I kept saying yesterday, Rayon is the journey of an actor, like but the journey of an actor that I would want to see not you know, oh there's no role out there for me? And why because it's easy for actors to go internal and beat up in here.
Speaker 2: But your light is like listen, I know.
Speaker 1: They said it's a white Polish dude, there's five seven, but maybe there's.
Speaker 2: Some wee can work out.
Speaker 3: Like you know, you're just you don't and you have to have that.
Speaker 1: It's really important actors that you are really listening to this because I think sometimes some time is wasted on continuing to internalize and beat yourself up, and you.
Speaker 2: Are creating that.
Speaker 3: So what is that.
Speaker 2: Routine or mantra, what is it that keeps you your light shining? What it is your life?
Speaker 4: I think that the first and foremost part is having faith, right, and you're believing God, and I think you know, learning and and and and just just being a man of God and just knowing, you know, I have the faith and the perseverance to get through this, and I know that I'm going to get to the top, you know, and that's what keeps me going right.
Speaker 3: And having your friends around you who are not.
Speaker 4: Yes men, you know, they'll tell you this wasn't a good auditional this, this wasn't the right choice. I think all of those helped my family, you know, my parents giving me the vote of confidence. I think all of that, all of that really really helped me, you know, coming up and like I was saying, you know, being naive when I came into game. You know, my very first year was offered a lead in this movie, right, feature film, and I turned it down because it wasn't paying.
Speaker 3: Naive, stop paying, I'm I'm not doing well.
Speaker 4: Man is if you're not paying, you can do this movie right in the past And eventually there was another role on this same movie, which was the iary of it where it was like, hey, you know because I danced to him.
Speaker 3: I'm Jamaican, so I know dance whole dancing. It was like, hey, like you know, I just come down and like dancing party said.
Speaker 4: I was like, it's nothing, you know, even though before like you turned down it not getting paid for the duration that you was gonna do it. But I was like, I left to dance. I'll come out, just have fun, simple and I think. So I go there and then they're like they see my.
Speaker 3: Energy and they're like, hey, you know, we want you to come.
Speaker 4: You know, we want to again give you a role and you know what I mean, and keep progressiing with just seeing me come on and just having my energy.
Speaker 3: Same thing. Stop paying. I'm not wasting my time doing something that's not paid.
Speaker 4: Now, you go a couple of years or maybe a couple of months later after that, and you realize that a lot of these projects that you take that you don't get paid, you're still learning in your craft, You're still building that that resume, You're still able to get your real Because I've made multiple reels where I've had the independent film reels until I started getting the network TV reels and the reels are mixed of you know, network tving and streaming services. So you know, I say that's to say I really had to learn this and learn kind of the hallway, you know, turning this. Who wants to turn on a lead role? You know it's not paying. You gotta you know, you gotta learn and figure it out. You got like a part time job, you know, do your part time job in between so you can you know, obviously pay bills. That was one of the things that I had to learn. Eight months into my career. I got a Nike commercial, Nike National, Nike com the the National Night commercial. Got eight months in and now I'm sack eligible. It was a friend of mine, the actually first movie with lines that I that I accepted. He told me, and I always remember this, He was like, ray On, don't join the union until you're.
Speaker 3: A must joint.
Speaker 4: And the reason why he said that was he was like, you now that you're eligible eight months into your career, you joining union, now you'll be doing nothing with extra work. And I had the vision that I want to be bigger than just doing extra work. That's the best advice.
Speaker 3: So it took.
Speaker 4: Yeah, time, I was everybody was wondering, Hey, how are you able to do network TV? I'm doing the blue Bloods, I'm doing the other projects, and they're like, how you doing this stuff and you're non union?
Speaker 3: I said, I ain't say much join. I was like I was doing.
Speaker 4: And I was able to you know, independent film and still able to do network TV. Tyler perry House still able to do all this stuff without having to be union. But that was the best advice to the gave me because I was still able to work my way through the independent films.
Speaker 3: Right to where I was now being.
Speaker 4: The principal role, to the supporting role, to the lead roles on his independent film. So I really like came from the bottom to the top. Even though my very first edition that I booked, even know offer that I had, or the leader of feature film, I still literally came from the bottom to the you know, now I'm not the top yet, but work.
Speaker 1: But I understand it's a process. But when you say eight months in like that's you know, we have to acknowledge that because that's very rare.
Speaker 2: It's very rare.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: My my understanding and observation in.
Speaker 1: This business is that there are a lot of people who want to be an actor, but very few people who are actually talented and who will pursue the journey and have the stamina to stay on. But you said something really important, which is you have to love it. If you do not love this, then you know it's like when you're outside in the winter and your fakee call, that's it.
Speaker 2: Once your fe get call, that is it.
Speaker 3: You got to be really built for And now we'll get We'll get it. I'll tell you, like very important me. I got a story. We're gonna go.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's gonna it's not early my Chris pretty much, maybe maybe five six years ago, but one of the most defining moments of my career, and price of the defining moment is I booked All Eyes on Me right and I played trash.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows, yes, crazy, you know what.
Speaker 1: I have to say this because these are what I call God Ray crumbs. But I just reached out to Vinnie this morning, a really good friend of mine. Vinnie was the first person that I coached, and then Vinnie introduced me to s w V.
Speaker 2: And then I got to Violater tweet Twinkie, I mean Twinkie tweet Mitter Elliott, and then Buster.
Speaker 3: Wow, but for you to say that that's a beautiful Yeah. We follow each other. Now. I well, since I had booked the job, so I ended up All Eyes a nice, nice supporting role, now, you know. And I'm like, this is about to be on I'm in Ebony magazine.
Speaker 4: I'm in h At that time, I was I was doing I think I was doing Underground at the same time too.
Speaker 3: I'm not right before that, I did Underground.
Speaker 2: Listen, I've seen All Eyes on me.
Speaker 5: A lot of my friends are.
Speaker 2: In that story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so now I'm just coming off of Underground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not coming off Underground.
Speaker 4: So now All Eyes and we got this nice supporting role playing a trench and I'm throughout the movie. And then what happens now, I I you know, I got my stylist with me, I got my sister with me. We get out, get out the cat like, and I'm gonna present it the right way, get out the cat like. And I see my agent at the time, She's like, bring on your star. I'm in my nice suit. I get on the red carpet. I'm owning the red car.
Speaker 3: I'm in the shade room at that time. Of matter of fact, Tracy I'm in during our whole period.
Speaker 4: I'm in GQ magazine for the best top ten Best Dressed Mail with Michael B.
Speaker 3: Jordan. Now I'm now looking like I'm going to be you know up there. Yeah. My dad is like, rayon, you know you're about to blow up. And I tell my dad, you know what, I don't think this is the moment. I just had a feeling. This wasn't a moment after everything that everybody was saying. I don't think this is the moment. I just had that feeling. Anyway, we get into We get into the theater and Russell Simmons asked to sit next to me right lee. Russell said, hey, you know because that see it open the aird for you of course.
Speaker 4: And I'm now my agency, like I said, my styles, my sister friends, and you know we you know, everybody in the cash you know, get up. We get up boom before the movie starts and we look at the movie and I'm in just two scenes with no lines. So I go from supporting with lines to nothing. You see me twice and I look like an extra Ooh so disappointed, so disappointed, But I wasn't angry.
Speaker 3: I've been in the business for so.
Speaker 4: Long, so I you know, and so the next day I wake up and I do a five minute video and I say, I'm glad God did this to me because I'm built for this, you know. And I'm like, you know, I know I'm gonna make the bounce back right now. Fast forward to five years later, be in Math. Was that boom that bounced back right So I didn't let it determin I was disappointed that it happened, yeah, but bounce back from it. And I wanted to make sure people knew. My story specifically with that is that that could really derail your career. You go from your ear everything hot the way you don't you don't see yourself at all, like so you know, and you know how many days you worked on that set exactly. People was like, well, you at least you got paid. No, I would I would have did that movie and not get paid. I would have been happy, you know, but to obviously keep my scenes and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that happened, and you know, I stayed, I had my chin up, and you know, now that's great story.
Speaker 1: Yeah story, because I think that you know, a lot of actors don't know that when you film, especially aspiring actors that and sometimes even I've worked with a couple of people like really, but you film out of sequence.
Speaker 2: So that's why it's so important for you to really know that whole script, to know that whole story.
Speaker 5: So you were on that.
Speaker 1: Set filming all of that stuff, but when you got to the edit room and they had to trim, and you didn't know. So that's why, audience, I just want the listeners to understand he had no concept, no clue unless he was in the editing room himself.
Speaker 2: And he saw And that happens a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would see the producers out and they'll, you know, buy me, and we have no conversation of what's about to happen. You know, they don't treat me any differently. Oh, cut yourself, you know what I mean. It's it's part of this right.
Speaker 1: But you know, once again, I mean rayon going back to the original. What you are built on the foundation that you created for yourself. Most people couldnot come back from that.
Speaker 2: Excuse me. I did a play.
Speaker 1: And it was manifested from class because it came from an exercise dream. Your biggest dream, don't get involved in editing. Doubting Nana just dream. If you don't dream, dream bit right. So this great situation came out of that for me.
Speaker 5: But the thing is is that.
Speaker 1: It's important to know who you are because noise and influences. The woman that was the lead in this play that Oprah Winfrey came to that I directed, and oprahray.
Speaker 2: Her she is no longer in the business. Oh no, And she's no longer in the business because that was her first play.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We were in a ninety nine sea theater, so you know, it was very it was a black box and it was very intimate, so you know, everybody saw her and like it just felt like Oprah was really and this was in the beginning of Oprah's career, you know as the Obrah and p Show, but it just felt like she was gonna take her under her wings.
Speaker 2: It was too much for her family. Her first play, and Oprah was talking about if you're going to be, you're going to.
Speaker 1: Be and she was.
Speaker 2: She was working for her family business. So her dad wasn't like.
Speaker 1: It was over, but still that nope, we got this business. And the fiance was like nope, because we had this plan. And when I tell you, ray On one of the most talent to people. And I always think what if? Because if anybody saw her, they would react the same way we did. So that's how I know she hasn't worked. You know, it's undeniable. So again, if there there's two things I want to address, one, I want to address the training and for you to talk about the importance of that to actors. And then just kind of segueing after that, like what is your process when you approach these memorable characters that you play?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, repeat the first one again.
Speaker 2: Now we're going so training, How important is training?
Speaker 3: Training is very important?
Speaker 4: And and and I can even just go back to recently, I've been training for a while, so it started just getting into acting one on one right.
Speaker 3: So now one of the coaches I studied with will helped me would be in Chik Chic from.
Speaker 2: That's My Guy Death Together.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, I gotta tell them on the pock. So as soon as I was coming back for season two of.
Speaker 4: BMF and I saw how big of a jump this character went from season one to season two, I said, oh.
Speaker 3: No, I got I gotta get coaching for this.
Speaker 4: You already know, you know, uh, you know, sometimes you can go through maybe certain roles of coaching, but I think coach is important. So now pretty much the majority of my roles that I do coaching and me and Chic work with it, work together on it.
Speaker 3: And as soon as I got with Chic on this one, we got to it where.
Speaker 4: You know, he would challenge me with certain things, how do you feel, you know, when you're in this specific moment before?
Speaker 3: What are you thinking before you start this scene?
Speaker 4: So it's a lot of just different things that he would give me to think and him not giving me the answer, but for me to really really think about it and come up with the answer and portray that.
Speaker 3: But I would say, just try.
Speaker 4: I think it's just just important that you guys can see more things that we can see as a person in this actual role.
Speaker 3: Right, you can see something like, well did you think of that? You know?
Speaker 4: I think that's that's why it's so important, because we got a certain perspective of certain things when we study in these characters. But you've got to see something that's right, the little subliminal messages, you know what I mean? She will ask me, well, how would he walk right?
Speaker 3: How was you know?
Speaker 4: How what do you talk different, you know, with his hands move a little different. What do you do a little things in the windows like that? You know. So I think that's why the coaching just so much helps a lot, you know, and how to dissect doing monologues.
Speaker 3: I hated monologues, Tracy. I hated it. I really hated. I just just was boring, like you know, like a monologue of us, I want, I want to talk. Let's talk.
Speaker 5: Yeah you can.
Speaker 3: You can't with the monologue.
Speaker 4: You could, you know, by just listening, looking at the person and you're looking in their eyes right and getting your answer from their eyes right.
Speaker 2: And also like you create just as you sort of choreograph your movement. It's like what if the woman or.
Speaker 1: Person you were talking to got about of the chair, your eyes should follow them, you know. And then when actors ask a question, the only way we the audience know is like your reaction.
Speaker 2: So when you ask, give that space for the reaction. Let's see it so we know.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just really making an inclusive because as a castine director, oh my god, I used to do Actors Connection and it was like twenty eight to thirty monologues per session that I would do, right, and I would do like maybe two a month, but they all started with actors doing that breathing and all that, and I'm like, no, what happened before.
Speaker 3: You started this speech exactly? We need to do it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Our time has flown by Rayon.
Speaker 2: Fun I'm having a blast, man. I'm taking this from me all day.
Speaker 1: After this, I just want to ask you, well, you know what, I'm gonna give you that space and class and session to give your last words, because I mean, you have been everything that I really wanted today in terms of the journey, and but from the perspective of just coming in loving it and not having that fear or concern of judgment, just being who you are in your own space. That's beautiful and that's why your career moves the way it is. That's why you go continue and when you.
Speaker 2: Are the red carpet now please no shortcut, Please.
Speaker 1: Open your door, say hold on waited the red.
Speaker 3: Car go ty.
Speaker 4: We need to get to which I want the listener to understand. It's even even outside.
Speaker 3: Of just the acting, the business part of it is so important.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we can we can extend another invitation and we'll do ray On Lewis Part two. How's that, Laurence Laurence Rayon Lawrence Part two The Business of Show Business?
Speaker 2: Because that is major. I'm glad that you want to come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so cool.
Speaker 1: So Elsa is gonna come on and introduce you to the two actors that are going to ask you questions.
Speaker 2: So here we go.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, thank you so much, Rayon. That was that was awesome. So today we have two of our spirited actors. We have missed Shemiah Lucas. Welcome, Shemiah. You can come on camera, Hey, Shamiah, and we have missed Ashley Creary. Welcome Ashley. You can come on camera as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually, and she is.
Speaker 5: You can unmute Ashley and ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rihanna, how are you yourself?
Speaker 7: I'm amazing?
Speaker 6: So I wanted to say that your perseverance and your faith is actually impressive. And I wanted to know when you were filming that role of Trash that you said you only had two scenes.
Speaker 3: At that moment that made it.
Speaker 6: You said at that moment that she knew that it wasn't your time. Yeah, was there any reason that you felt.
Speaker 3: That way I just I don't know. I just felt right before the movie, it just didn't feel like this was it. I just I just I don't know.
Speaker 4: Even though like everything else was happening, these magazines, the GQ and you know, everybody just hyped a bot, I just it was just inkland.
Speaker 3: I guess like I was just like this, this is not going to be.
Speaker 4: Yet, you know, being math right before it, I was like, this is gonna be it, This is gonna be the one, you know, and it.
Speaker 3: Was just it was just really a feeling. I like that.
Speaker 7: That's impressive.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you, Ashley ast Media. What's your question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you got the mule law.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we don't hear you. It's weird.
Speaker 5: Mhmm okay, so we can we.
Speaker 3: Can she can't she type it?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 3: Not on zooms right, you can't, Like you.
Speaker 5: Want to type your question in the and Mea says, what is your dream role?
Speaker 3: Oh that's good.
Speaker 4: Well I got my degree in criminal justice. I wanted to be an FBI agent, So literally I just played my dream role. Actually, I just did this movie where I played a high profile detective, so that's definitely my dream role. Now it wasn't the dream project, not yet. It's an indie, but that was the dream role was to play a high end detective or a FBI agent. So that's that's my dream role. But I'm doing a big level. But I just did it on the you know, the small It was fun. It was fun doing it. I took a lot of pride in that. And you know, just to go back if we have a little bit of time, you know when when Tracy talks about whenever, like once you book that role or even the audition right now, because I've been in the game so long, you automatically start to think, Okay, how does this person think?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: You know, so now you know, and I'm not saying everybody do this thing, but you know these cops, right, they like to go to the bar and have a beer.
Speaker 3: Like I don't drink beer at all.
Speaker 4: I started going to bar every night on set, drinking a beer after just to have the mental space.
Speaker 3: And this is what these guys do.
Speaker 4: They go to bed, they go to the bar and just hang out and just think about how the day process, how the day was, how many arrests they had, you know.
Speaker 3: So that's literally what I what I did so a lot of roles.
Speaker 4: I would automatically think about, Okay, how this guy feels, and I would just going to that moment, you know before I tell you this roll out that I'm doing right now. I'm playing a character in the seventies, this big gangsten Hall of Them, and I don't smoke cigars. He smoked cigars. I had to go on set and learn how to smoke a cigar, which I learned from BMF and I started smoking cigar one night just there, you know, in the moment, you know.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: Crazy, you just gotta love it, just wanting to really be these characters, really be in in in this space. And when we have time for second one, I'll tell you how the bm meth process was because that was different.
Speaker 2: Character. And you know, I'll write that down because I'm gonna ask you, Yeah, that.
Speaker 3: One was really that one was really deep.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, once again, thank you, thank you, Elsa, thank you Ashley and Shemiah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Rayon is staying with us, you guys, so you are blessed and I'm so grateful.
Speaker 1: When we come back, these two spirited actors are going to do class in session.
Speaker 2: When we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, and you are still blessed. Rayon Lawrence is still with us and he's gonna be with us for class and session. Then, so we are going to have Elsa introduce our Spirited actors.
Speaker 2: We have two ladies here today, Elsa, who we are today?
Speaker 5: We have a brand new spirited actor. We have missus Ashley Prairie. Welcome Ashley, Hello, and returning as a Spirited actor. We have miss Shemia and Lucas. Welcome back, Shamiah Hi. So today's scene is Crazy Love, written by Ariel Bryce. Two friends Ryese and Carmen are out to lunch discussing life.
Speaker 2: Don't think I'm crazy?
Speaker 7: But what would you think if I started seeing Tad again? Are you crazy?
Speaker 2: I'm not really no.
Speaker 7: Look have you forgotten what he did to you last time?
Speaker 2: I haven't. But he's different now.
Speaker 7: He has a son.
Speaker 2: How old is the kid?
Speaker 1: Nine?
Speaker 7: But y'all broke up seven years ago.
Speaker 2: Common I don't need your judgment.
Speaker 7: I'm not judging you.
Speaker 6: I'm your friend, rees your friend that you came to because I have some type of common sense.
Speaker 7: I just I don't want to see the recent Ted saga kick up again. I remember what you went through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not the same.
Speaker 7: Are you sure you can do this because this time around it's not just you and him. There's a child involved and a mother that you have a history with. She's not a factor. She messed away. You say that like you're relieved.
Speaker 2: You're judging me.
Speaker 7: How long ago?
Speaker 2: Seven months?
Speaker 5: Whoa was he with her?
Speaker 3: Ted?
Speaker 1: Mmm? Oh?
Speaker 5: And off?
Speaker 7: Are you sure he's over her? See on.
Speaker 2: Not walking away from me?
Speaker 7: You came to me.
Speaker 6: You came to me, and now you want to leave because you can't deal with the fact that I'm calling you out on your stuff.
Speaker 7: If you woke away, Now, what are you gonna do with him? What are you gonna do with him?
Speaker 6: When he gets upset but you one decides to tell you that you're not his mother, You're gonna leave.
Speaker 2: It's always the worst case scenarios with you.
Speaker 6: In this case, Yes, that boy vividly remembers his mother and actively misses her, and so does Ted. Their hearts are broken, slowly healing and gently being mended. Ted is still dealing with her. But when y'all were done. Y'all were done, and it wasn't because of you and what you're supposed to come in and make it all right.
Speaker 7: Okay, you're right. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to make decisions for you.
Speaker 2: I never would.
Speaker 7: I just want what's best for you.
Speaker 2: He's changed, I mean, just try to give him a chance. Here he comes now.
Speaker 4: D oh wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, you tell you guys, Okay, Rayon, I'm gonna throw it to you and whatever constructive criticism, feedback, whatever you want to give them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like I like I like it. I like it. I like you guys.
Speaker 4: Stillness, it's sort of right. You said the name again. Sorry yeah, yeah, so sorry, Sami. Yeah, I just just the technically, I guess because of the location. I would just want to see a little bit more of you. That's that's really it. But I like how you was taking in everything that you were, the conversation that you were having. You guys were both listening and engaged. I like the prop using the prop use of the prop. Yeah, I definitely like like all that. You know, you guys were both listening. I like the emotional aspect of it. Yeah, good job.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, thank you, thank you Rayon for that.
Speaker 1: And I also want to say that one of the things that I would say, especially in this scene, Ashley, is just to explore other possibilities of being angry or being judgmental, you know, because you know the situation. And I feel like you're that person that she told you everything and tells you everything, so you reacting to different ways to how these things make you feel. Well, just because I get Tomia's character, but you give her so much when you know it's like, oh you're judging no, because you know everything, So it just gives more to play off, if that makes sense. Okay, Okay, I want everybody don't listen. Rayon is coming back, so don't get missed on me right but right now he got to go, So I want everybody to put their hands together for part one of mister Rayon Long.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, Thank you kind sir, Thank you for having me, my pleasure. It's an honor.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you're coming back, so you and else are gonna work that out. And then when you talk to she say, Tracy said, that's how I addressed it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna speak right now.
Speaker 2: When you do it, you're gonna.
Speaker 4: Be you to Tracy, I'm gonna speak to it right now for sure, all right, tell I.
Speaker 2: Know because we were supposed to be.
Speaker 1: But I just want to say thank you so much for really bringing to life the journey of an actor. And I'm so excited for part two you because that's really gonna I got funny.
Speaker 3: I got, I got so much more.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, I'm just gonna say, get all your markets head go and you just go with it. I'll part two, I'll just be listening to.
Speaker 1: Okay, But ladies and gentlemen, what a great great man and great great actor, Rayon Lewis Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Why don't want to call you Lewis Rayon Lawrence? Everybody?
Speaker 1: And when we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I'm gonna give you loves.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm welcome to Kudo's Corner.
Speaker 1: Kudos Corner is where we celebrate spirited actors and we support them and their work.
Speaker 2: We love them and we just give them big hugs.
Speaker 1: And this week's Kudos Corner put the spotlight on spirited actor Miles Marrable. Miles has been a proud spirited actor since birth. Literally recently, he starred as Lieutenant Clark in the off Broadway play The Buffalo Hero of World War One, the Wayne Minor story, directed by Canthedo Robinson, who has been a guest here on the.
Speaker 2: Spirited Actor podcast with Me Tracy Moore. Miles has also.
Speaker 1: Made appearances in the first season of Wu Tang and American Saga, and the indie short RSVP, and my Crackle TV show Inside the black Box, where he is also instrumental in the writer's room, working with producers and head writer Spruce Henry. In addition to acting, Miles has put in great work on his rap career. His song Secure was recently featured in season three of the Bounced TV series Johnson. The song pre Check and Maple Leaves are two other available songs Kudos to Miles.
Speaker 2: Variable and now It's Time to Give Love.
Speaker 1: When I was sixteen years old in San Francisco, I didn't like the feeling of jealousy. My boyfriend started to like this other girl and that was the first time I felt it, and.
Speaker 2: It really hurt.
Speaker 1: I cried listen to sad songs. Then I started thinking about all the great things about me that she didn't have and I started feeling good about myself slowly and better and better, and then I realized she could never be meet it, and I was really cool. Love you more than anyone else and embraced your uniqueness because nobody can be you. Don't forget to look out for us. On our new show, Inside the Black Box. My co host will be Joe the Legend Morton. It's going to be The Spirited Actor Podcast on Steroids.
Speaker 2: We'll be streaming on the Crackle network. I'll keep you posted.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited Podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you,