Speaker 1: Had any weird dreams lately, Danielle.
Speaker 2: On our way to lunch yesterday, I told Will Will ask me. You know, I've started my medication, my anti estrogen medication, and it's called demoxifen. There's all kinds of potentially awful side effects like joint and muscle weakness and aches, and you know, all the menopause symptoms, so like hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, irritability, just weight gain, like you name it. There's a laundry list of things. And if you research it online, you will inevitably find that people seem to react horribly to it and nobody likes it, and it's awful. It's horrible. And I was like, okay, so I'm my doctor gave me a little bit of like a positive pep talk about it before I started. He said, how well, No, what he said was, this is my medical oncologist. He said, how did you react to pregnancy emotionally? Like what were your side effects of pregnancy? And he said were you? And he said, because I from and I don't know. Then when I told my practitioner, my general practitioner, he said this, She's like, I've never heard that. I don't know where he came up with that, but whatever, she's like, hopefully it'll be true for you. So he just said, like, especially emotionally mood swing wise, if pregnancy really affected you, this might do the same thing to you. And I said, good news was I didn't. I wasn't strongly affected during pregnancy. So I'm going to go into this with all the optimism in the world that I'm not going to have any of these major side effects, and in conjunction with that, to avoid any of the joint pain and muscle weakness stuff, I'm gonna start working out every single day, like at least five days a week. I'm going to do something physical. Where I had pretty much lived a very sedentary lifestyle for the years before this, I'm going to just start being really physical. And so I started working out regularly. I have now been on it for almost thirty days and I have truly no awful side effects thus far. Doesn't mean some can start, but I so far am feeling really great. I am having the occasional night sweats, but all right, I can live with that. I haven't noticed that I've had any incredible mood swings. If anything, dare I say, I think it made me nicer. I don't know, but I actually think I feel better. Jensen just wrote the chap seconded, I think I'm happier since I've started taking demoxifen. I don't know why, but I feel actually better. I feel like I'm on an antidepressant, even though I've never been on one. But the one pretty awful side effect for me is that I am having very vivid, weird dreams.
Speaker 1: That's fun the ship.
Speaker 2: Their anxiety inducing, and I was telling Will one yesterday when we drove to lunch because it's just so weird. I had a dream that I kept going back into. So I'll wake up from a dream because I'm all anxious in the dream. I'll wake up from it and go, Danielle, it's just a dream. You're not really in the situation. You can just go go back to sleep and just like think about something else. And then I went back into it over and over again. And you want to know what it was? You want to know what my dream was? Uh, Grover the Muppet. Grover the Muppet had a not in his for that I needed to get out, and I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it. I was so close my hands in there.
Speaker 3: You couldn't have picked a better like acid trip dream to have a Muppet.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like.
Speaker 2: He was like, like, I couldn't like retangler. I was using my bee free dtangler and I'm like spraying it in his hair and I'm like, oh gosh, it's so close. It's so close. And then he's talking to you and you have to get this out, and I was like, I'm trying. I really, I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I'm trying.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna and then I would like wake up and I'd be sweating to death. I was like, oh God, poor Grover. And then I'd be like, dang, yelle, Grover is Grover's fine, Fine, it's okay, just go back to sleep. And then I'd fall back asleep and I'd be Grovers for just trying to work on the NOTT. And literally it was all night. I woke up out.
Speaker 4: Sorry, but it's such for the side effects you could have had, you having anxiety inducing Grover Muppet dreams is my favorite.
Speaker 1: I love it so much.
Speaker 3: I mean, when we're having you know, when we're having a creative challenge, we're all working on stuff. We can call it a Grover's not we got to figure out episode of Pod Meets World. It's you know, we're really in a Grover's.
Speaker 1: We have to make this quick and it's stressful and weird.
Speaker 4: If cameo, if Grover is on Cameo, I'm getting you.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks forgetting the Grover voice. I'm trying to Groover sound like he sounds a little like Cookie Monster, but not as deep. A little a little, a little like that, but not quite as deep. So I will say that that one of the reasons I dreamt about Grover is that Jensen has a book from his childhood called Grover Goes to School and my children I've been reading it to my children for the last couple of nights. Keaton loves it, and it's about Grover's anxiety. He goes to school and he wants everyone to like him, and so to get everyone to like him, he does all these things that he doesn't want to do and then ends up having a his sterical, hysterical breakdown in school.
Speaker 1: Twists and choke. Somebody like you to get it on tang.
Speaker 2: So anyway, there's my tomoxafine update.
Speaker 1: Here's Grover, guys, Here's this is your old.
Speaker 5: That's right right, there's a little Kermany too, Yeah, mixed with cookie Monster.
Speaker 1: This is your old pal Grover.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I thought you played it again. I thought played again.
Speaker 1: Will you should maybe working voice was incredible?
Speaker 2: Gosh, well I think I think you've got something there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, that's essentially you just saw a voiceover audition. If you have to match somebody, you just keep listening to it and then you just try to keep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mimic.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fishall, I'm rather strong, and I'm Wilfredell. So today we are recapping.
Speaker 1: Got a little grovery. I'm gonna say it was like it was like you still you can.
Speaker 3: Get out of it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'll do my own voice. It's wilfred El Kurry. Really I want to hear it back, and I swear you kind of went like.
Speaker 6: I get a little crack method voiceover app.
Speaker 1: My gosh.
Speaker 2: Today we are recapping season six, episode five, Better than Your Average Corey, which originally aired October twenty third, nineteen ninety eight. The synopsis. After Corey is introduced to an art prodigy, he develops an inferiority complex and blames his lack of skills on his average upbringing. Meanwhile, when Rachel almost chokes, she says she owes Jack anything he wants for saving her life. It was directed by David Kendall and it was written by Laura Runnels and Patty Carr. Yes, So before I jump into guest stars, what were your overall thought of the episode?
Speaker 1: Go ahead? Will I want to hear you?
Speaker 4: You go?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly what ayahuasca does, but I imagine it would make me feel like watching this episode, Wow, this was an acid trip of weirdness.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it. I it was that you know what it was? Is this? This episode?
Speaker 4: To me? Had it has produced so many different memes that have become famous that it seemed more like meme beats than it did like an.
Speaker 2: Entire Episodeery salary for sure.
Speaker 4: Me me lying down looking like I'd been electrocuted a one. Matt Matt trying to heimlich Maitland is another one. I mean, there's like four or five moments in this that were just the moment has become something I'm I'm over already, the love triangle of.
Speaker 2: Just running down the episode five over it.
Speaker 4: I'm over every time he touches her, just running down the stairs screaming.
Speaker 1: Like, what do you do?
Speaker 6: I don't get it.
Speaker 2: There's nothing any of something?
Speaker 1: What thing? I don't understand it. I thought the a story. I got what they were going for.
Speaker 4: I also got why we wanted Alexander Nikita to come on. I thought she and Lindsay together look like they were not even the same species. Like she she does. Lindsay looks like she's, you know, eleven.
Speaker 2: Footy pajamas and then.
Speaker 4: Footy pajama still, and now she's got her friend. She drives on in a motorcycle. It was like it just it didn't Visually it looked very strange to me. It was just a weird episode all the way around. I don't even know if I liked it.
Speaker 1: I really don't.
Speaker 4: It's like when you finish an acid trip, you're not like, was that fun?
Speaker 1: I don't know, You're just like, thank god it's over at this point, Yeah, that's funny. I did not think this was that weird. Oh I thought it was. I thought it was weird.
Speaker 4: Just all of a sudden, the famous artist just comes dowme and is now just living with them.
Speaker 2: I why is she just a member of their family.
Speaker 1: So weird.
Speaker 6: It was just weird. This entire episode I thought was weird.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I completely agree with Will about how random and off putting it was that the entire first multiple scenes are all centering around this young girl.
Speaker 2: She's thirteen at the time. Is she really she looks like a contemporary Lindy.
Speaker 1: Was Ben eleven? No, I don't think so. I think by this point she was probably twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 2: That's probably word what year Lindsay Ridgeway was born. We'll get to that when the king path. Yeah, but that's let's look at why you're Lindsay Ridgey was born. Will figure it out. But Alexander Nikita is thirteen. I googled that last night because in the scene with Ben, I could not believe that they made so many little girl jokes and references. And by the way, he is being so rude.
Speaker 1: It's it's weird.
Speaker 2: Okay. So Lindsay was born in nineteen eighty five, so she also was thirteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 2: They're just a very different basically very different. But despite their best efforts of pigtail braids and overalls, she looked like a contemporary of Ben's, Like she looked like like she could be another person in just a normal conversation with Ben. But they had to make a big deal about the fact that she was a little girl. But she doesn't look like a little girl. She doesn't carry herself even like a little girl. All of that if I get past all of that, because all of that was and I joked, when did she just become a part of the family. I actually loved the a storyline. I loved it really really didn't even know where really it was going, just exactly because it was weird, but loved where it ended. Just loved day.
Speaker 4: I could watch Rusty act all day long. And that's I'm fine with it. I love all that I love it.
Speaker 1: Just it seemed to it seemed to kind of come out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: It was another one of those episodes of like, this is just the Corey we need right now, and so this is the Corey we're going to give you, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this gets back to essential Cory in the best way. This is raging Corey. It's a sister episode of Raging Cory.
Speaker 3: To me, I yeah, no, I yeah, I mean obviously the b story was snubbed at the Emmys.
Speaker 4: That you're.
Speaker 3: Just can't believe it truly groundbreaking, and yeah, I mean it's awful, it's embarrassing. I'm like embarrassed me too for our show.
Speaker 1: Why are we doing this?
Speaker 3: And but then I was having this weird thought of like, actually, actually, like there's probably people out there who really did enjoy this, They're just not Boy Meets World fans.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Like there are people who were like tuning in on a Friday night who probably really thought that the The Love Triangle was like funny and like this sort of like it's not fun effortless romp, but but it's not funny because we're looking at it thirty years later, wanting it to be part of an important show that has these really well developed characters. And actually most people want from their Friday night sitcoms, like people that are good looking, making jokes and like doing stuff like you know, I think the same jokes for now five episodes.
Speaker 2: But it's a riff.
Speaker 1: It's like if you if you are stuck watching your kids show, like if you have a teenager and or an eleven year old and they want to watch their kids show and.
Speaker 2: You're yeah, media coming to the planet every single episode. Every episode, I'm like another meteor.
Speaker 4: Writers is literally defending the fact that it's a romp.
Speaker 3: Well here's what I started thinking, Well, it's not even that it's a romp, it's that it's a riff exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a sketch.
Speaker 2: It's like a it's like.
Speaker 3: A and And actually there's probably a contingent of people for whom the Jack Eric Rachel's storyline was a relief from what otherwise was a kind of oppressive, self serious show. But I agree with you, those people just don't remember it because why.
Speaker 2: Can't Why couldn't they use Jack Eric and Rachel and still have this thread of like there being a little bit of jealousy and we're interested in her, but give them another storyline. The entire all of their b storylines for five episodes straight have been the same thing.
Speaker 4: Eric Watson, they're about to touch, he screams, wait.
Speaker 2: But don't do this. I'm going to get her alone. It's literally scene seventeen.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, but I feel like I put too much pressure on my shows. And I was just saying that, like, there's probably a lot of people like I don't know, because I didn't watch sitcoms, especially not at this time. Like, I don't know what was Full House much better? Was was your average say by the Bell storyline?
Speaker 1: Much more?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think they were just kind of a difficult thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you know what I'm saying, Like the idea of like having characters stuck in their ways doing the same jokey thing was like a reason that a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Watch television and watched sitcoms in particular.
Speaker 3: We just are used to we're putting this pressure of like and Boy Meets World put it's a pressure on you know, we have a child prodigy and a discussion about what this means to be average.
Speaker 1: Like we're a very intense show. So I don't know. Anyway, did you like the b storyline?
Speaker 3: No, it's of course, but that's not what I you know, I also think that uh A Three's Company is like just the worst thing that was ever produced.
Speaker 1: Like, and there are people that love threes Company, but I love the company is great. Yeah yeah, Like that has no interest to me.
Speaker 3: And so if like that's what they're riffing on, I don't know, Like I don't know I mean, I know that the actors on Three's Company were good and comedic, but like, were those storylines memorable?
Speaker 1: Do we care about the consistency of characters from episode No?
Speaker 4: I would say, it's you got when you are now in episode five and it is literally the same scene in the same set of exactly the same thing happening. Whether it's a it's fun, whether it's easy, whatever it is, at some point you got to go.
Speaker 6: Dude, give us something else. At least put us in another place, right, all right?
Speaker 4: This happens at a gas station or so, It's like, how many times can I now run in and scream because they're touchingout?
Speaker 2: Can do none of you work? Do none of you go to school? Do none of Like?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Why are you just always home?
Speaker 1: Eat hot dogs?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Oh okay?
Speaker 3: But the story, besides the first scene, which I was like, wow, this is what are we doing? As soon as mister Feenie was like.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about classical ouch and renaissance, like what stop?
Speaker 3: Like I'm gonna like I'm throwing up in my mouth of how cheesy and bad and poorly written and everything about this.
Speaker 1: Then the kidnapped the Matthews fans well, but.
Speaker 3: Once, once you just accept that ridiculousness, right, Yes, I freaking I think Ben Savage's best performance of boy MutS World. Maybe I think this might be my favorite. He was having so much fun. He is hysterical.
Speaker 1: Ben is very funny.
Speaker 3: Jokes on top of jokes, so they're writing this anxious, stretched out Corey, which is still my favorite Corey. I love that they like wheel spinning. He's making it everybody's problem. I love that Corey. And then Ben was adding so many like he was like some curveballs on every joke and like like there was one moment where he has a line to me and.
Speaker 1: He raised his eyebrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was like crying, oh yeah, when I was sitting there going he did that for me, you know, and I just it was that classic, like, oh my god, Ben is so funny and there I think they wrote to Corey well in this episode, and then I think Ben delivered one of the best performances.
Speaker 4: Of Maybe that's my problem with the episode. Then maybe the Bet story so tainted. It's like somebody delivered this beautiful soiux flet and took it on top of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, right exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean when he gets up to sing at the end, and Rusty's amazing, Yeah, absolutely, oh yeah, and then they're scene.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just like, oh this is this is all class. And then the salary beat.
Speaker 3: I mean, all of that it was like some of the most memorable, most very meme.
Speaker 4: So this episode is very meme. And again I didn't the a storyline was good. Again, I can watch Rusty act all the time. So I said, I didn't hate this episode.
Speaker 1: It was just weird.
Speaker 4: And maybe it's weird because of the little you know, Lindsay looked so strange next to Alexander. She did she really looked like she was Ben's age, even though she wasn't.
Speaker 1: And then it just the.
Speaker 4: Whole Bet storyline. It's like I couldn't I couldn't get over it. It was just we got to do something else with these characters.
Speaker 2: I know, if this continues to be the storyline, I don't know what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: I don't really know. It's bad. It's bad. Okay, So Ben is hysterical and I.
Speaker 2: Love this whole Hat storyline. I really, once you get past the awkward first scene and all the set up reply that.
Speaker 1: I can agree with that and Ben's doing like he's and all this stuff he's doing with I was like, tell me what girl, it's it's and that's just I just love getting away from the cord to pengast. It's great.
Speaker 4: So you know what it is, it's it's I might have done it first, but now all of us seemed to be acting the way we were acting with each other behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Now on camera, and I think that's what I mean, that's Ben.
Speaker 4: I was watching Ben last night like those were conversations with Ben, so there was That's what I think a lot of it is is us trying to make each other laugh the way we would when we're around craft service.
Speaker 1: And all that other kind of stuff. That's what it was. So yeah, No, Ben was great, You're right. Sorry, amazing.
Speaker 2: Alexandra Nikita, who is playing herself, dubbed the Petite Picasso at just twelve years old. Alexander was born in Vassluis, Romania, and her father escaped Communist rule when she was just three months old. Her and her mother had to wait two years to join him in California, where she quickly learned pen and ink, then was working with watercolors by five. By her seventh birthday, she had mastered oil and acrylics, and her first solo show was at the Whittier Public Library. At just eight years old, she traveled around the world displaying her pieces and became the youngest artist ever to sign with international art publishers, and by the time she was on Boy Meets World at thirteen, she had delivered sixteen solo shows and at least one point five million in sales, and in two thousand and one, a school in her hometown of Veslui, Romania, was named in her honor. Collectors include Oprah Winfrey, whose show she appeared on, Calvin Klein, Little Richard, Alec Baldwin, and Whoopee Goldberg.
Speaker 1: Michael Jacobs, Oh, of course, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went to his house in Aspen, and I remember she had her paint one of her paintings on the wall. So I'm sure that's where this came about, because we're so into our art and collection collecting art that yeah. And I think it's funny because he probably wanted to do this episode based on, you know, the idea that this kid was a kid, but then by the time we actually got her.
Speaker 1: For the episode, she just was older.
Speaker 3: You know, she just older, even she's so self possessed and like yes, as like a very mature presence that Yeah.
Speaker 1: You guys still have your scripts. Yeah, it's the only script I guess I kept from. I think I still have money. She signed a script, and she drew on.
Speaker 4: She drew on all our She each gave us each a script that she signed, and she drew like a little like a painting.
Speaker 1: Maybe you don't have one of them. Maybe it was just for writer, but you know, he might have a Jonathan Taylor Thomas signed script.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but maybe I don't know. I have Jonathan Taylor Thomas taboo.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 2: The good news is she will be appearing on our podcast this season, so up upcoming podcast guests.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: So she would eventually graduate from UCLA and she is still painting today at thirty nine. She has two children of her own and exhibits her work regularly. So I do you guys have any memory of her being on set this week? Do you remember this episode?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: I absolutely just remember liking her a lot, like she was really cook and cool and also looking back and like this is they gave her a lot and she's like, you know, I obviously not an actor, and so to have to not be an actor and this much is so hard. She was wonderful and I was like now and I remember thinking at the time, Yeah, she was very cool and nice.
Speaker 2: Imagine how bad it could have been if she wasn't capable, Like, if she wasn't a decent actor, this would have this is.
Speaker 1: A drive by. This is You've got three lines in what I've seen.
Speaker 4: And hey, we brought the famous person on to say to you know, we loved him and he was great and but it wasn't like Jim Abbott.
Speaker 1: She was acting or something like that. You know, she carried this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, well. Then we also have Jesse d. Goins as mister Cupp. You may know him from movies like RoboCop and Patriot Games, but has appeared in almost every TV show of the eighties, including Different Strokes, Hill Street Blues, alf and Seinfeld. But he's best known as Kyler Johnson on the cult TV show The Greatest American Hero.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wasn't gonna I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you just mentioned alf, I will I had one of the most intense nightmares.
Speaker 3: Of my childhood was Alf so second Clover. Yeah, alf was eating people and I still have memories of it, like I was terrified. So wow, I've only seen Alf like once or twice in my life.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to ask, where did it come from? Like Grover's in the books I've been reading? Will do you have any dreams about muppets?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: But they dream about me?
Speaker 2: Got it? That's that's okay in your dream exactly?
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Jumping into our recap, we start in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Feoene is leading a class of college students through his favorite room of the museum. The abstract pieces lining the walls are open to interpretation, so he asks that each student pick out a piece of artwork that speaks to them and then speak to us about how it speaks to you.
Speaker 6: Is now an art teacher?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 3: College?
Speaker 1: Of course? College occur to me. I was like, right, we're just.
Speaker 4: Make it right, that's right, And why we're all together there? Well, I mean, you know the thing that colleges do all the time is field trips.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. They those are big.
Speaker 6: The college field trips are really well, really well known.
Speaker 1: It's like, what okay?
Speaker 2: So, then Sean and Angela excitedly walk up to Cory and t Banka. Angela reveals they have great news. Corey chimes in, hey me too. Angela starts Sean just got into the photography program, and Sean adds back to photography.
Speaker 1: Is now a thing. We didn't remember this and this is now. It was on Girl Meets World. I was like a photographer and I traveling.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, this is the thing, okay, but now looking I thought, like, Sean becomes a poet not too far from now, what has.
Speaker 1: Happened with a poet photographer? You know, just like you did whatever art? We need exactly what stop?
Speaker 2: So and Angela got an a on her essay maintaining black identity when you have three very white friends.
Speaker 1: One of the few jokes.
Speaker 2: Is it the first time we directly mentioned race, Probably because.
Speaker 3: I feel there's one joke where she says, I got to get more black friends than doing the soap opera game. We have to have your middle name whatever in the future, right, Yeah, And that has happened, but that's the only one I remember.
Speaker 4: Well, she said to Ben last episode, you are so down my brother, Yeah, said Stella got her groove grapping you are so down.
Speaker 1: My brother.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but I think this is the first the edges. Yeah, there is the first, very direct one though. To Panga congratulates them both and then asks Corey what his news was. Corey shyly reveals I found a penny. Phoene asks for a volunteer to offer their interpretation of one of the bigger pieces in the exhibit, and Corey's hand shoots up. Pick me, mister foennye please please. Phoene asks how can I turn down that kind of enthusiasm, and he lets Corey take the floor.
Speaker 1: Cory want to.
Speaker 3: Be in noasly just implied that, like Corey's been too quiet, and to Panga says to him, like, why are you ever volunteering for you know, I don't set it up in some way.
Speaker 2: To Panga made a big deal about Corey needing to be able to interpret art in order for her to love him because of the other guy. So I kind of like the idea that Cory's like.
Speaker 1: He's studied it, because yeah, he pays attention.
Speaker 2: He yes, he's he's like, listen, my lady's into this. She's made it clear.
Speaker 1: Then save that he could have been easily just had they weren't even thinking that. They weren't thinking that.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, No, I want to know where Ricky Ferris was this entire time saving puppies. I came back from Alexander nikitats.
Speaker 1: Questle.
Speaker 2: Cory stands in front of the art and he takes a deep breath. Meanwhile, a girl with pigtail braids, overalls and braces is unexplainably following him very closely. Cory declares to the class, I see hands staring at the fabric of America. You can almost see the old and bitter artist as he predicts total anarchy and higher taxes in the death of the American way. The pigtail girl interrupts him, Your total wrong. Corey chuckles at her. Are you lost, little girl? And this is where I was like. She looks exactly the same age as Cory I were, I mean, and they're trying so hard were the footy pajamas in the laundry that she's not.
Speaker 1: Kids on the tracle.
Speaker 6: Just happened to be wrong, licking an ice cream cone.
Speaker 4: You're wrong, mister, Okay, but they're both thirteen when you see them standing next to Lindsey. They're all thirteen, which how different people can be, especially at that age. I mean, man, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, how old is Morgan supposed to be? Eleven?
Speaker 2: Eleven? I would assume, Yeah, she looks like she's eleven.
Speaker 1: That's yeah. I thought I was like, oh, she's an eleven year old mom.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: She suggests that the painting is about hope for the future and the joy of life, and the artist is not bitter. Corey is still angry for no reason at all. Look, little girl, you're a little girl. I'm eighteen years old, and you're going to try and tell me something. Phoenie is now tapping on Corey's shoulder, trying to get his attention to where I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, the writing is like driving me crazy, but then is making making it. He's like, this is like where the writing is so heavy handed and on the nose and make you know, set up, set up, set up.
Speaker 2: But I don't care, because if you listen, I care a little job.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Ben's having fun, Like this is funny to me that he's like a little girl and like doing all his little stuff.
Speaker 2: Is just imagine him doing it any other way. Though, When the lines are Look, little girl, you're a little girl. I'm eighteen years old, and you're going to try and tell me something. You just take your little joy for life and pipe it sister. Like imagine him saying that, not like yeah.
Speaker 3: No, well that's when somebody like me, like as an actor back then, I wouldn't have thought to do that, Like I would have played it straight.
Speaker 1: I would have been like, well, he was like, why am I so angry? Why am I so angry? And then yeah, and it would s and would not be and you'd be like, how else did you play it exactly? I'm like, you want me to say that?
Speaker 3: And you know, of course Ben just had the wherewithal as an actor to be like, we have to put a lilt to it, like to make it a joke, turn into a clown a little bit, which is the only.
Speaker 1: Way to do this kind of thing, and like I was not capable of that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I appreciate it so much. In best so it's really weirdly written.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. If he had done it in any other way. He found, in my opinion, the only way to make its funny, the only con Corey finally asks Feoenie what his problem is, and Phoene just shakes his head, no problem, keep talking now, I'm going to enjoy this. The girl butts in again, excuse me, mister mean man, but I know exactly what's in the painting. Corey mocks her. Oh was I mister mean man? Was I too mean to the little dude? Go ahead tell me you you tell me how you know what's in the painting. The girl simply states I painted it. The crowd and Corey faces well, okay.
Speaker 1: We'll shirt water. We're friends. We're friends, remember friends.
Speaker 2: We come back from commercials. Still at the Museum of Art, Corey is still not convinced about this little girl. You painted it, and I got your nose. He grabs at her face and Peeney cringes. Mister Matthews give her back her nose. Corey insists that he's just playing with the kid, but Phoene breaks it to him, Corey, I believe the kid whose nose you hold is Alexandra Nikita Corey. Corey sees that she is listed as the artist and displays a picture where she does look younger.
Speaker 4: In the picture looks better than yes, it did, Yet it's not better or worse she just looked younger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, much presence, it's one she just yeah after she's also tall. Yeah, let's just you know, she's tall. After a couple of double takes, things finally click. He nervously laughs Hello. He explains he didn't actually take her nose. Then he pretends to give it back to her. Phoene steps in and whisks Alexandra away. He's a great admirer of hers. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about classic versus modern technique and.
Speaker 4: Where he hands her back her nose and she puts it back on, and she staring at him, like takes the beat to put the nose back on, and.
Speaker 2: Uh, and he finishes and the impact of the Renaissance on the modern palette. Sean notices his enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Exactly sophisticated things.
Speaker 2: Non classic versus modern technique.
Speaker 1: Stop like go dictionary. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Phoene admits he can't help but get carried away when he sees a young person with such extraordinary gifts. Then for some reason, Corey pipes up. Are you saying we don't have extraordinary gifts? Phoene assures him, of course not, you also have extraordinary gifts. Corey isn't satisfied, Like what. Phoene responds, you have your health, good for you, for you, Then he pulls Alexandra away again step aside for the genius. Alexandra explained she's in Philadelphia because there's a showcase of her earlier work, and Sean laughs to his friends, Wow, she has earlier work. Corey realizes, I'm eighteen and I have no work at all. Tapega explains everyone can't be a great painter, but Corey is still shocked. She's like as old as my sister and she already knows what she's good at. I wonder what I'm good at. Alexandra has heard his concern and made her way back to her harshest critic. She asks, you have a sister. My age blocking is so weird and I'm just like, what no happening?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Did you see the hand acting that Alexandra and and Bill were doing in the background, Like they're both just like.
Speaker 1: Point and then my technique brushstroke and.
Speaker 2: Will that's that hand acting is called hackting?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, well makes sense.
Speaker 2: So Corey's eyes widen and then we cut to the Matthew's kitchen. Morgan is sitting at the table doing some coloring of her own. When Corey and Alexandra walk in, Corey takes one look at Morgan's artwork and crumples the paper. Don't even bother.
Speaker 4: But it's a great joke. But now is this poor girl? Was she at the place by herself? She was at the museum by herself, and now if she had a family there, They're just like, yeah, go with this stranger totally.
Speaker 2: Oh there's another little girl in that home. You can go hang out with her exact I mean, and then she's there for the whole week. She changes clothes. Yes, yeah, that's really straight. I also love the idea that she lives at the art museum just walking around her paintings looking for people to argue with.
Speaker 1: That's such a good bad.
Speaker 2: That is really weiry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what could they have done?
Speaker 3: Like I'm trying, I'm trying to think, like, could you have been on an exchange program? Or like is there some rationale that could have made for like Phoene's hosting her his house.
Speaker 2: Yes, it as an adult there with her to talk to Phoenie and for you know, for her to be like you have a friend for her to be like, you know, the one thing that is hard about what she does is she doesn't have a lot of friends. She doesn't have a lot of you know.
Speaker 4: Like or you have her coming, you don't have her come in with Corey. Corey comes in and goes, don't bother with this. He goes, hey, I met somebody in that and her her parents said, you guys are going to hang out this week.
Speaker 1: And then she knocks on the door and you open the door and she comes in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like her just getting in the car with Corey and going home is like really sway or something. It's really weird.
Speaker 2: Morgan recognizes the painter, which also what what. Morgan goes, I know who you are. You're that painter girl I saw on Rosi O'donald. Isn't rosso O'donnald a daytime show during the week. Yes, she's at school, okay anyway, Corey introduces her and then tells his sister. For some reason, she wants to hang out with you. Alexander admits, when I go on all these tours, I don't get a lot of time to spend with kids my own age. Morgan asks if she's really been painting since she was two, and Alexandra nods her head. My parents gave me a coloring book and craons when I was two, and I guess I just never stopped. Corey gasps. Really when Morgan was too, she gained almost full control of her neck. We're all real proud of her. Go ahead, Morgan, hold up your head.
Speaker 6: This is again where the ayahuasca was kicking in, where I was.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, what I know? These these first two scenes.
Speaker 3: Are what's funny about this scene. It's weird that it's it's funny, like the joke is it? Like what Ben is saying, it's funny. But it would be sense that Corey would be cynical about how she's so talentless when he's already supposed to be spinning it out about his own lack.
Speaker 2: Of reading all about him. If he's like two, when I was two, I had just gained control.
Speaker 1: Of my neck exactly. Instead, he's like insulting Morgan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, you know what. But for this episode, it's funny. Ben's great. This episode feels.
Speaker 6: Like a dream that Danielle would have on her medication.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what this episode feels like to me, it's just feels weird. It's just honest, we met Let's bring her into the family, like it seems. Phoenie's now leading a class school field trip where he is a teacher of art. All of a sudden, it just felt like a big fever dream to me.
Speaker 1: I know, Well, it's always when. It's always when the episode.
Speaker 3: Is led by ideas first and the story has to fit all these different ideas.
Speaker 1: And like it's clear that you know, Michael.
Speaker 3: Jacobs loves art, like, yeah, loves visual art. This is one of his passions in life. He actually wrote, uh, after Boy Meets World, he wrote a play called Impressionism that was on Broadway. Yeah, so if anybody is interested in if Boy Meet's World fans who like Michael's writing, there's a play called Impressionism.
Speaker 1: I never saw it.
Speaker 3: I read it, but you know, like this is a thing for him, and he obviously liked her, and he was like, let's get her in here. You know, I'm what I imagine added is that you're the poor writing staff has to like figure out all these parts while Michael's rewriting three episodes behind, you know or whatever. And by the time they get to this week, They're like, do we really need there? It's like, make it work, figure it out, and it's like, yeah, so it's just cramming in a lot of ideas.
Speaker 1: Writing story wise, I don't know, but I did like where it ends up. I love it, And again Lind.
Speaker 3: The idea of like bringing her singing in which obviously as a person could saying as an actor could sing, and using that.
Speaker 1: And the talent it kind of worked for me.
Speaker 2: It works.
Speaker 1: It's again, it didn't. I didn't dislike it.
Speaker 2: It's just like Morgan has her own rival in school who's better at her than something. She doesn't need Corey to be the one putting her down about her, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, by the way, we'll get to that.
Speaker 4: But the girl that's the rival of the school is another thirty five year old woman.
Speaker 2: I mean, Also, why why did it? Why did it have to be fire batons?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Okay? Also, Alan, I'm just glad double jump Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just glad you thought that's what I mean by ayahuasca. It just seemed like it's it's a strange.
Speaker 2: I know, a lot of weird, lot of weird pieces of this. Yes, Okay, Morgan tells her new friend, when I was one and a half, I learned to ignore him. She performs a ninety staple by placing an l near her forehead and saying.
Speaker 1: Liz is, there's a few things I hate more than that, Like, I hate that more than anything.
Speaker 2: Won't do it?
Speaker 1: Killing John, God, you guys lose it. Whatever.
Speaker 2: She then asks Alexandra she likes video games. Corey scoffs, Yeah, she likes video games. Morgan, she's a cultural icon. She's got lots of Alexander cuts him off. Banjo Kazooi, Morgan shouts, got it, Alexander.
Speaker 3: I had to go back.
Speaker 1: I was like, what did she say? Because it's a real game. Banjoke zoo is a real game.
Speaker 4: It's based on Crash Bandicoot, which was a real Oh yeah, Banjo kazoo sounds like something our writers would make up. Totally No, Banjo Kazooi and Jo Kazooi was a video game. It is a British platform gaming series where players control Banjo the Bear and Kazuoi the Bird as ay thwart the scheme of the Witch Room.
Speaker 1: Tild so.
Speaker 2: Totally real, Morgan reveals twice. Then the girls take off upstairs to play. Corey sits at the table, shocked. The silence is interrupted by Sean and trying to ask what he's doing. Corey answers, do you think I'm talented? Sean pauses, then let's out a sigh. Oh god, what now?
Speaker 4: Now? Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I love about.
Speaker 3: Like, that's when the story kicks in and we're now just gonna have to deal with Corey spinning out.
Speaker 2: I love before we get there. Here's our first scene of the b storyline. So before you can enjoy the show, we've got to get through this the Heimlich. Yeah, Jack and Eric are sitting on the couch when Rachel walks over. She's eating a hot dog. She asks, can you I'm just so on the nose. It's just, guys, it's so on the nose. She asks, can you believe how tough Peterson's econ classes? The guys just gawk at her, not engaging in any conversation whatsoever. Rachel makes a joke about the class and Eric lets out an over the top laugh and response. She may her way back to the kitchen for condiments, and Eric rocks back and forth in pain. Jack tells him to just go pee already. Eric sneers, oh you would love that, wouldn't you.
Speaker 3: Rachel over here, I thought I'd missed something. I was right, Yeah, are we supposed to know that? I was like, wait, are what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It's a weird beginning. It ends up being like I.
Speaker 2: Mean, at least it makes sense that it's like, oh, no, for five episodes, I haven't pete because the idea is I've never left them alone for any length of time. So Rachel overhears them and is confused. Jack explains he's afraid to leave us alone for a couple of minutes. Eric is an embarrassed Oh yeah, like you've never ever left me alone with her for any minutes. Eric wiggles around in discomfort but assures them I'm okay, I'm good. Jack decides that they should make a toast to Eric being okay. They cheers some cups of water together, and then Jack forces the water down Eric's throat with water still in his mouth. I love that you can do this even with water in your mouth. I love this is your chipmunk. This is your very famous chipmunk face.
Speaker 4: So this is this is one of the first characters I ever did. Yeah, there was a kid who was the loveliest.
Speaker 1: Guy in the world. I won't say his name.
Speaker 4: When I was growing up with him who had very big cheeks, and he would always want to skateboard, so be escape, hang out.
Speaker 1: Little dude.
Speaker 2: Man, that was going on, and so it was like the first of it, the start.
Speaker 1: Of your comedy. He was a freaking bullying he was abby.
Speaker 4: Kid, was the chubby kid. He just had big, big cheeks and uh. So that he would always and then the sound just became part of the thing. So I would we would be in a you know, a sleepover situation, and you just hear and and that was the sound is the sound.
Speaker 2: Of me filling your cheek. I love that you can do it even with water in your mouth and still talk. I don't. Yeah, okay, uh with water still in his mouth. He we thought it was cartman. We thought it was a little bit of a cartman. He tells Jack, that is the meanest thing you've ever done to me. He then runs through the stair bans her like that was that was that just something you did?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just that one take.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He dives through the stair banister to make it to the bathroom just in time. Rachel laughs and throws her arm around Jack. He's so funny, like he has to worry about us being alone together, right, Jack grins Yeah. Then he casually adds, I want you to marry me. Rachel laughs, what so, Jack double's down marry me now? Before he comes out of the bathroom, Rachel takes a bite of the start.
Speaker 4: I didn't the last episode, they just realize that they're going to treat her with respect and no one's going to ask her.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's a roommate and that just has She just said we are going to be like girlfriends.
Speaker 1: Right, No, that was too No, that was two. That was the first episode she said we're going to be like girlfriends. But then it last episode was yeah, we don't need to try well like Eric has the whole Yeah, this room putting in the laundry room and we don't need to do that.
Speaker 4: I mean it was it's like we just did this where we're going to treat her with respect and oh I got to be myself, and then it's just like we forgot all about that and we're just doing exactly the same thing again.
Speaker 2: Rachel takes a bite of her hot dog. Well, I hope you want, because I want six boys and six girl. Then she pauses and urgently grabs her throat. Jack doesn't notice her panic. I know this is very sudden, but I need you to hurry up and answer me. Before he comes out of the bathroom. Rachel tries to speak, but can't. She points to her throat and Jack grins, that's right, cuteye pie, I'm talking to you. She's struggling to breathe, so she quickly grabs a piece of paper and feverishly writes something down. Jack tries to read it out loud. I'm chucking to death. Then it finally registers.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 2: He quickly starts the Heimlich maneuver, throwing Rachel back and forth. She's screaming with the movements. Then Eric walks out of the bathroom, announcing that monsoon season is officially over. Then he sees Jack embracing Rachel and shrieks at the top of his lungs. He bolts to the couple, and just as he arrives, Rachel spits the bit of hot dog right in his face. He recoils in disgust and then lashes out in anger at Jack. You said you weren't gonna do anything and will You're like covered in water too.
Speaker 1: I noticed that too.
Speaker 4: It had to be from when I was chugging, like we must when I went back and watched it, you know, and I don't know where it came from.
Speaker 2: So like it's almost like when she's spit out the hot dog, she had water in her mouth.
Speaker 6: You're covered, it's like covered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just must be a community thing.
Speaker 6: Maybe in one take, I got the water spilled on me and then we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The second half of this ye okay, Jack argues she was chucking to death. Rachel is so thankful you saved my life. Eric shoutz, no he didn't. Jack humbly responds, forget about it. Okay, you would have done the same for me. But Rachel insists if I can do anything to repay you, I will because I owe you big time. Eric screams, I am ever going to be again.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just not a good scene. It's just this is hopefully this isn't the start.
Speaker 2: For you guys, and I just want more for you guys. There's so much more. There's so much more, and like you said, at least get him out of the apartment.
Speaker 3: Come on, I'm looking forward to the set we've got. I see him set We've got like there overdoing the swing sets. We also had to bring the boy's bedroom back for this week.
Speaker 2: I know, speaking here, we are Corey's new room. This is the first time we've seen it the season since the boys moved out. It's rather confusing why.
Speaker 1: I figured it out because everything Eric is gone, So why are we back in the.
Speaker 3: Room just to have him look at through the But like, Corey still has a room at his parents' house even though he's living in a dorm.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying wouldn't have been the nursery.
Speaker 1: Doesn't some parents keeping their kids it should.
Speaker 2: Be a nursery. Oh, I know, we know, we've heard of that. We've heard of those people. But yeah, I don't know. Also, like, yeah, we could have done this in the boy's dorm room. He could have had his little trophies in a box in the boys dorm.
Speaker 1: Room and the cellary up there and everything else. I mean, you could have done all the same stuff.
Speaker 2: Celearies. So Corey pathetically shows Sean his eighth place trophy for enthusiasm from Fat Camp. Sean doesn't get it when were you fat? Cory says, well, my parents applied to the good camps too late. Man, those guys could eat pie.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, he's hysterical. He destroys the trophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sean wonders about another trophy. Corey reveals my baseball team came in last. Sean can't believe they gave out a trophy for that. Corey says they wanted everybody to feel a sense of pride and achievement. Sean examines it and wonders, where's his head. Corey calmly explains, I smashed it off with a hammer.
Speaker 1: Eyebro goes up, suffering.
Speaker 2: Love it. Sean admits, I know I should be trying to make you feel better, but what kind of loser saves all these things? Corey says, because this is me, mister average. My room is a shrine to my mediocre life. Sean shakes his head. You don't have a mediocre life. Corey stands with his back against the wall, revealing a poster of a single bunch of celery. He says, there's nothing about me that separates me from anybody else.
Speaker 1: Genius life.
Speaker 3: It's so good to have a visual that you don't even have to hit the joke. Yes, it's just a visual saying a line, and the way it's framed, it's I just don't want to know exactly how this happens.
Speaker 2: It's also a giant it's such a big poster.
Speaker 4: Of Celery and it's perfect a wonderful like you too next to But it's absurd, it's oh god, it's great.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, just so funny, and is an absolutely iconic boy meets world moment. He complains, nobody ever helped me find out what I was talented at. Sean quickly reaches for a ukulele, reminding Corey he used to be good at it. Corey takes the instrument and begins to strum, singing off key, my dog has please. Sean fake's enthusiasm. Wow. Corey strums and sing again, my dog has Please. This time, Sean exclaims, yes, yes, it's so funny. Then we're back in the Matthew's kitchen. Morgan and Alexander are at the dinner table playing a game boy while Amy and Allan unload grocery bags. Amy tells Morgan this is the moment I was like, Oh, she's just she just lives here.
Speaker 1: Now, she's just family, okay.
Speaker 2: Amy tells Morgan that they ran into Missus Eichelberger Missus Eichelberger at the store, and Alan remembers her daughter's the reason you didn't enter the talent show at the youth center, isn't she? Morgan shrugs. Elouise Eichelberger wins that talent show every year.
Speaker 1: The names, man, I love it. Everybody. Every name is like an opportunity to describe character.
Speaker 2: Yep, why should anyone else bother to try? Amy encourages her. You were such a good singer, it would be a shame for you to not even try. Alan tries to help. I'm sure Alexandra would want you to try. Do you think she'd stop painting because there are other girl girls that could paint better than she could. Alexander tries to agree, Oh, sure, there are many girls who can paint better. Then, and then she stops herself and turns back to Alan. I'm not supposed to lie.
Speaker 1: What do I do?
Speaker 2: Alan waves them off, telling them to go play in the living room. So funny, great, and she does it.
Speaker 6: So she does it great, she does because she plays it earnestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like God played for a joke. It's like I really don't know what really, Yeah, well I do.
Speaker 2: But Morgan lingers behind. She asks her mom if she has to sing. Amy shakes her head. Nobody's going to force you to do anything you don't want to do. Alan agrees. If you don't want to sing, you don't have to sing. Corey and Sean have walked downstairs and caught their heart to heart. Morgan leaves and Corey pipes in, that's right. Tell her she doesn't have to continue with her ukulele lessons either. He points to Sean, who strums a nice little tune on the Ukulelean response. Alan's lost, so Corey explains way to groom another eighth place honorable mention, nothing special, also ran dad. Alan size, Okay, what now? Corey rattles on what now? I could have been one of the greatest ukulele players in the world. Sean chimes in, are you getting that this isn't about the ukulele? Amy nods.
Speaker 1: This scene is great.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 4: I love this scene because this really surprised me, Like I thought they were going to take it pure comedy, the whole way of just I have nothing I can't believe you did this to me, and then he's going to spiral out in the dorm room, and then all of a sudden it got real and it was like, oh oh, I mean every time everybody blow to Alan was just like ugh, yeah, I wasn't expecting this this again, fever dream. It just came on out of nowhere and just kept changing direction and it was strange, but good.
Speaker 2: Corey tells his parents that he could have been great at something, but they stopped him. Alan says they didn't stop stop him, he just lost interest. So Corey asks, how come you didn't give me a paint set?
Speaker 1: What I was? To whom? Hookem?
Speaker 2: Does he say it?
Speaker 4: No, I do.
Speaker 1: When I heard you say how come it? I wanted them to Jackson hole, I'm ukulely boy.
Speaker 2: Amy reminds him, you were more excited about your toilet training. Corey big boy, Now you would say, Sean, let's out a big laugh. Oh Corey big boy, Now, huh. I love this. I love that that Sean remembers it. That's what it feels like to me, Like Sean was there, like, well remember when he did that. That was a cute. Corey big Boy now you're.
Speaker 1: Putting putting put in business? Did it tap it? Now?
Speaker 2: Corey presses his parents again. Why didn't you push me to be anything great? You didn't help me find what I was good at. I don't want to be one of those people who has no first place trophies and no special talents. Why didn't you want me to be better? Alan questions better than what Corey shouts back, better than what I am? Alan is disappointed. What are you saying, Corey emotions to everything around him. I'm saying better than this. Alan needs clarification. You mean better than me, Corey notds Yeah, better than you. Amy tries to jump in, but Corey continues, I'm never gonna be great at anything because I was raised to be average. And he looks at his dad. I'm average because you're average. Alan hangs his head in shame, and Corey realizes he may have taken it too far. That was harsh, intense commercial break when this boy meets that's what the song sounds like when it's.
Speaker 1: Intense the Elliott Smith version.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, So we go to an intense commercial break, and then we come back when we're in the Penbrook dorms Sean is sitting outside and gives a light knock on the door. Core you gotta come out. Sometime After no response, Sean reaches into his pocket and jiggles his keys. Hey, look who it is. It's the ice cream man. He says, he has Corey's favorite fl Inside, we see Corey sitting on his bed, unamused vanilla.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right is good. It's you can't find the ice cream? Come on, it's good. Oh so good.
Speaker 2: Outside, Topanga and Angela walk up to see Sean on the floor. He explains that Corey's locked himself inside and won't come out for anyone. Apparently he's searching the caverns of his soul. Tapang is terrified. Oh no, not the caverns. Corey opened this door on cue. Corey flings it open and the girl's file inside. Corey takes a look around the hall. There's no ice cream Man's.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I Also, one thing I did like about this was it wasn't Topanga that talked him down from anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Episode, I know Topanga by the ways living her best life with Angela. Yeah, and Sean is left to deal with him, which is great.
Speaker 4: I liked that.
Speaker 1: I liked.
Speaker 4: It was like going back to an old school storyline where it's not Corey and it was Corey and Sean, which I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now they're all in the dorm room when Corey announces I did a terrible thing. I did the worst thing I could possibly do. I told my father he was average. Sean says, I told my dad that once.
Speaker 1: He was thrilled.
Speaker 2: Y s this is the thing.
Speaker 3: It's like the same story in a lot of ways. It's Corey spinning out after an event with his dad.
Speaker 1: It's good. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 1: I love this Corey.
Speaker 2: Corey says his dad wasn't thrilled. He was crushed. I crushed my father to Pega suggests we all say things we don't mean. He'll understand, just apologize. But Corey's realized something. I meant what I said. I feel like I'm just a regular guy, Like my father's just a regular guy. How do I apologize for that? Angela consoles him, you are not just a regular guy. You're very good at a lot of things. Corey wants to know, like what Angela gives up. Don't press me on this. I'm just trying to make you feel better. It's so funny. Corey points out that everyone else knows what they're good at, but he doesn't. He's just standard issue in a plane wrapper. And I'm curious, what do we know that Angela is good at writing? I guess she got an A on her paper earlier in the in the in the episode, what what do we think to Panga is good at?
Speaker 1: What was good at school?
Speaker 2: She's just a good student. Virgin okay, a virgin virgin, A virgin at school okay, because we haven't.
Speaker 1: Got your virgin.
Speaker 4: She's kind of she's supposed to be the catch all because remember, it's like you go to the law firm, It's like, now it's going to be a law of everything you do, everything you attempt, you're good at. I would think, is where to Panga is?
Speaker 1: Because your news reporting? Was she good as a news report?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: She was sweating like a gat was.
Speaker 2: Listening like a pig. Yeah, I got so nervous. Yeah, I just I'm wondering because like, they haven't really spent a whole lot of time telling us what the women are good at.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: So Corey point out that everyone else knows what they're good at, but he doesn't. He's just standard issue in a plane wrapper. Sean says, so are dirty magazines and everybody loves them. Angela elbows him and Sean admits, okay, not you. Tapega urges her fiance to go home and speak to his dad. An average father may be angry with Corey, but his father isn't average. She assures him they'll be behind him the whole way. Corey opens the door to leave and Alan is standing right there. There's an audible gasp and Tapega asks how you doing. Alan grabs Corey's arm and tells him to get in the car. And then we're back at the apartment. Eric's pacing behind Jack, who's doing homework. Eric won't leave him alone. What are you gonna ask her for? What are gonna ask her for? What are you gonna ask her for? Final story?
Speaker 1: We're so excited to find out I can't she choose a man? She keeps one of that they have sex? Is that what Eric's thinking?
Speaker 4: Like, Oh, he's going to ask if that's because when she said I would do anything for you, He's assuming he's going to ask for a sex act.
Speaker 1: Is that yes, they're going to do the sex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going to do the sex. Yes, they're gonna. What he's gonna say is do the sex with me.
Speaker 1: So I saved your life and now you're going to have sex with me. That's that. She'll do anything, So that's the that's the whole.
Speaker 2: She'll do anything, the hot lady.
Speaker 1: She'll do anything, so enticing and fun. I was hoping I missed something.
Speaker 2: But I don't think I miss anything. Okay, he didn't. What are you gonna ask her for? What are you gonna ask for? Finally Jack answers, you want the truth, and Eric screams, I can't handle the truth.
Speaker 4: Everybody was doing that. It's a joke or something. So I can't handle the truth. You can't handle the truth everywhere.
Speaker 2: Then Jack calls Rachel into the kitchen. Eric can't believe this. Wait, it's pay up time right now in front of me. Rachel hops down the stairs, looking chipper and exposing another boom mic. She asks Jack if he's decided what he wants for saving her life, and he reveals, yes, I have. I appreciate your gratitude, so I've decided what I would like is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Eric pushes Jack out of the way. No, he grabs onto Rachel's legs. Don't give yourself to him just because he saved your life. Life is to live. Then he stops himself and slowly gets off the floor. Did you say peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Rachel is shocked too, that's all you want? Jack gives her a polite nod. Eric pulls him in close. She'll give you anything you ask for, and you ask for a peep and jay. Jack just doesn't want Rachel to feel like she owes him something. Eric doesn't get it. Then why did you save her life? Jack says he would have done the same thing. Eric asks, Oh what, just because I like her and I respect her and I wouldn't want to take advantage of her. Jack says, yeah, that Eric gets it. He turns to Rachel and meagerly asks, could I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich too? Rachel smiles but shakes her head. No, she started making one. Why can't she make two?
Speaker 1: I love peanut butter and jelly. I just need his episode to end so that I can make one.
Speaker 2: Okay, wonderful, that's almost.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: If you put some Doritos in it, regular rules, discust one about ruffles, Yeah, ruffles inside, Yeah, incredible writer. It's so good guys. Mm hmmm. I'm sorry you don't have good taste.
Speaker 4: It's you won't You just won't be coming to our restaurant, the PB and J with Potato Chip restaurant, just GARB restaurant.
Speaker 2: A diner on bread and.
Speaker 1: Everything that you could buy in the aisles whatever.
Speaker 2: How's your flake skin car exactly? How's that working out for you?
Speaker 1: From Costco and Bulk And.
Speaker 2: How's that working out for you?
Speaker 4: We're going to start with a chain restaurant, That's what We're not even starting with one place.
Speaker 1: We're starting with starting with locations.
Speaker 2: All the same time, a pop up on the same day. Love it. And then we have returned to the streets of Philadelphia. Alan Corey walk along a street of small businesses. Corey is nervous. I realize you're angry, and I want you to know I said a terrible thing, and I have no idea where to even begin to apologize. Alan simply states, I'm sorry, you meant it. He stops in front of a boarded up stores. Do you know what this is?
Speaker 1: Corey?
Speaker 2: Guesses the abandoned warehouse where no one will hear my screams. Alan says his first job was sweeping up here at Drew's Hardware. He took over after his father retired. In fact, his father spent forty years with a broom in his hand. Alan earnestly says, I wish he could see all I have now. He turns his attention to Corey. Why are you so ashamed of being average? Corey stutters, so Alan demands him to look at the store, look at it, touch it, get some dirt on your hands, try and see what average looked like from here. To me, average was a dream. That's why my father worked his butt off. So maybe his son could have something more. Alan says he respected his father because he did the best that he could. He was proud of him, and he knows he'd be proud of him too. Corey's speechless as Alan continues, maybe if my son thinks average is nothing, then I've done my job. I'm sorry that you're not a lot.
Speaker 3: I know because it's an interesting like it's very nuanced, but it's a good point. Like if my son is able to be dismissive of average, of average, then that means I've actually done something really and that that's kind of more to the point to me because I'm this whole time, I was like, why doesn't.
Speaker 1: Corey have a job? Like Eric had to have a job, and Corey has not ever had to have a job. We've never seen him.
Speaker 2: Work, right, well that only when he was in the restaurant and you took over for the mob and.
Speaker 3: To Panga work in the restaurant, and Angela had job, but like Corey is like what gonna go to Collin's. There's been a lot of emphasis on Eric working and none on Corey. And part of me was like, well, maybe that's because Corey, you know, does have something going for him, Like that's better than I don't know, like it it was this is yeah, this this scene brought up more questions than answers for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why where do they work?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Do they own the store? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't. They don't really acknowledge.
Speaker 1: That an interesting.
Speaker 3: Relationship with class because it was like Shawn's supposed to be the like blue collar dad worked his whole life to survive, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like Sean says it, you do not have a mediocre life. He Sean says it when he talked went in that previous scene where he's talking to Cory when Corey says, like, my mediocre life, and he goes, WHOA, you do not have a mediocre life. And so you get the sense that like Sean would kill for Corey's life, not necessarily, not like he wants to actually be in his place, but to have had the security and comfort that Corey's had and has taken for granted Shawn's and ever.
Speaker 1: STI average, you know, income coming in. I mean, yeah, Seana roof over his head. But again we've said this a billion times. How good is Rusty?
Speaker 4: Oh my man, I mean he hit ninety two beats in this in this monologue, and he's just so good.
Speaker 3: This is a weird thing that I was thinking about, like, and I don't have a conclusion or any real good thoughts about it, but it's it's it's so like on one end, you're talking about cultural production like art, right, like the production of art and singing, and on the other hand, you're talking about work ethic and like taking the job just and I don't know that this episode makes sense of those two impulses being the same, Like is it like is Alexandra a great artist because she worked hard? Or is she a great artist because she's naturally talented and genius? Like I don't feel like the episode really like that's a tough question to answer, Like I don't you know, I don't know, And I feel like it's not ends up not being about that, like because like there's no recognition that like lind Lindsay can sing, like Morgan's ability to sing is separate from her willingness to do it, like the actual work ethic, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just feel like there's That's why I think it's almost the scene hit me.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, it's not about Corey not working hard, it's about Corey being good at something.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know this, That's the thing.
Speaker 4: I think there's there's they're also trying to say that it's like not everyone is born with a gift, but you can still find happiness in your life even if you're not born quote unquote special. Yeah, so it's like you know, Rusty Fat, you still have to work hard or still.
Speaker 2: Have to Sure, I have no doubt that Alexander Nikita worked hard to be a painter. But like when you're giving a two year old paint and they're obviously she was better than other two year olds. She was she has a gift that most do not. And then in conjunction with working hard at it and continuing to do it, she became a prodigy. She became a phenomenon. And so in this case, Corey is saying, well, no one ever pushed me to find if I had a gift. You let me fall out of everything. What if I if you pushed me hard enough to insist on pursuing things like the ukulele? What if I would have then been the best ever at it? And instead look at me, I'm just average? And Alan is thinking, and you know, and then it ties into Alan's point, which is like, wow, when I was a kid, average would have been the average was my biggest dream and.
Speaker 4: Almost once again showing that in a way, Alan was like Sean more than he was like Corey. Yeah, so it was like he turned his life around and look what he was able to do for his kids. And now my son doesn't appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now my kids saying it's garbage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very nuanced. There's a lot of different levels.
Speaker 2: Maybe if my son thinks average is nothing. Then I've done my job. I'm sorry that you're not proud. He gestures to the store of him and he points to himself and me, and then he likes on Corey and yourself. Sad music plays as Alan walks away, leaving his son alone in a very sketchy neighborhood of bankrupt businesses.
Speaker 1: And litter at night at night.
Speaker 4: Just get your hopefully you'll come home get Yeah, exactly. Let's see how your average skills do against knife attacks.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's your skill.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe gonna be an Maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 6: You're a secret assassin. Let's find out.
Speaker 2: The sixth annual quaker Ridge Youth Center Talent Show. Everyone knows that one Corey, Allen and Amy are in the front row, while it's.
Speaker 1: Talented younger that they showed too. I was like, where are we It looks like the Performing Arts Center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a yeah, the Youth Center Talent Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A talented young girl who we can now assume is Eloise Eichelberger twirls flaming batons gracefully in the air.
Speaker 3: This is a big choice because when you have flame overflame on a set, you have to have a fire, marsh that's what.
Speaker 1: It's a big deal.
Speaker 2: It's a big deal. Why did we Why was it that? But I guess they had to do something big because the whole joke is that she's just gonna sing. A woman next to Amy, presumably missus Eichelberger, nudges her with arrogance. The two women give each other fake smiles, and then Amy leans over to her husband. Big deal. She twirls batons, but Alan's in awe, wow, look at all that fire in the air. Corey nudges his dad, but Alan shows him away. He's loving this. Morgan and Alexandra watch Eloise from the wings. Alexander admits she's good, and Morgan agrees she's the best fire juggler in the county. She's gonna win. I'm not gonna sing. Alexandra is shocked, but Morgan insists I don't want to. Aren't there times when you don't want to paint? The Prodigy admits when people first started to make a big deal out of it, I didn't want to be different from all my friends. But I love to paint, and that's why I do it. Don't you love to sing? Morgan shrugs. Yeah, I do so. Alexandra declares, then that's your gift, and if you're lucky enough that God gave you one, I think you should share it. The fire juggler finally ends her performance and the crowd applauds. A host takes the stage and thanks Eloise. That's gonna be a tough act to follow. We've had quite a night. They had fire batons, that little boy that juggled ducks, and a special thank you to the double jointed plunket twins. Alan stands up and gives a rowdy applause for the being over questions school girls, That's what I was gonna say, do we this is just a talent show. We don't know because my first thought was this is a high school talent show. But actually it is the sixth annual quaker Ridge Youths. No, it's Youth Center gross. It's just as gross as I thought.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, no, it is all right.
Speaker 2: I would have loved someone to make it a different choice. There, Okay. Alan stands up gives a rowdy applause for that act. The host continues, and now our final entry will be Morgan Matthews, who will sing a song, Alexandra gives her friend a big hug, and Amy shoots to her feet. Yay Morgan, Mommy loves You. On stage, Morgan presses play on her CD player and then takes the microphone to sing wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler and the audience. Corey turns to his ad I can't live like this. I'm sorry, Alan whispers, don't worry about it. He's so rude, so rude, his sister's thing and he just can't I know, but it is funny way to jumps up saying.
Speaker 1: Too, man, it's so cool to hear it. I was like, wow, talent, you know. And you remember her singing on the set. I mean, she was really so nice to hear. Oh my god, and they gave her.
Speaker 4: Something to do.
Speaker 1: And then halfway through her thing on it was funny this whispering like interrupting her. I kept I was like, where's that going? Once he got up and signed was great. Totally forgot he was singing. I totally forgot. This happened me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he just kept interrupting, I was like, oh god. But then it ends up being very funny, So Alan whispers, don't worry about it before we turning his full attention to Morgan's performance. She gets to the chorus of the song and Corey can't contain himself. He sings along, directing his words to his dad.
Speaker 3: I would have loved I would have loved if he doesn't say anything, and it's just a shot of Corey and his dad, and you watch Corey listening to the song and realizing this is me singing to my dad and I'm being inspired, and then you just watch him jump up.
Speaker 1: Jump up, because there's no moment where you see Corey realize that the.
Speaker 3: Sting correction right if we need him make the decision, been a million times funnier, and it wouldn't He wouldn't have to say anything.
Speaker 1: You can just see a closeup of him going, this song.
Speaker 2: Is me, this is what I need is how I can do it. He could also have jumped up on stage and pushed her out of the way, take it over the microphone and just done this.
Speaker 1: You know, you know that's what Wilfred Dell would have I I command the stage.
Speaker 2: What can I say? Morgan, Alan and Amy are flustered, but she continues to sing on the stage. Corey jumps to his feet, now pumping his fists, singing to his dad, disturbing the audience and stealing the thunder from his sister. Alan and Amy slumped in their seats, mortified, but Corey doesn't stop, turning the song into a duet with Morgan. Corey even acts out some of the lyrics. The talent show is now over and the crowd is gone. Morgan hops down to meet her mom and Alexandra, the painter hugs Morgan and tells her she did an amazing job. Corey asks, how is I? Alexandra whispers to Amy and repeats from earlier, I'm not supposed to lie.
Speaker 1: What do I do?
Speaker 2: Amy whispers, let's just go, and the girls leave. Alan starts to go with them, but Corey stops him. I think I said all that stuff earlier because I was afraid about my life. When you meet somebody great like Alexandra, you begin to wonder if you're worth anything, and if I'm not, it was easier to blame you. I know it's up to me to make my life something i'm proud of. Alan shrugs, that's what life's about. You spend your time searching for something to give your life meaning. Some people find it in their talent. Corey wonders, what if I'm not talented? Alan answers other people find it in other ways. He pulls his son in close. You know when I guy this, Yeah, Yeah, this is the sort of This is the blurring of the two where it's whatever gives you meaning. For some people it's a gift or a talent. Correct and nurture it. Yeah, He pulls his son in close. You know, when I knew my life was worth something. Alexandra appears again, and she finishes always Yeah, she's the cousin.
Speaker 1: She lives there now.
Speaker 2: She finishes alan sentence, when I held you in my arms. Alan asks how she knew he was going to say that, and Alexander smiles, That's what my daddy always says to me. And then she pulls out a lollipop.
Speaker 1: She really say daddy, She really no, she says dad right, and she says daddy.
Speaker 6: I think she says daddy yeah, and Big wheels off the set.
Speaker 1: That's what Papa says to me.
Speaker 2: Right before he puts my diaper on.
Speaker 1: She goes on tour and Morgan this is has one more scene in the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we're back at the apartment for the tag. Eric is on the floor with his hair standing straight up. So Eric's on the floor with his hair standing straight up, mouth wide open, eyes closed. He's holding a toaster, and the barstools around him have toppled over. Rachel walks out of her room to find him and panics at first, then realizes what he's trying to do here. She plays along, Oh Eric, my poor Eric, are you okay? Wake up? Then Jack walks into the apartment, unmoved by his friends shenanigans. He asks what's going on and Rachel deadpants. Eric's dead. Jack shrugs cool. Then Eric jolts's body and Rachel gasps, I think he's alive. She asks Jack what she can do, and then perks up, Oh, I know mouth to mouth resuscitation. Eric can't help but smile at the sound of that, but tries to maintain his deadness. Rachel sighs, oh, shoot, you know what I don't know, mouth to mouth resuscitation. Do you know CPR? Jack? Jack catches our signal, so he responds, yes, I do, so just move aside, sweetheart. He gets close enough to Eric to illicit gay panic, forcing Eric to come to life and jump away. He looks at both of them and shakes his head. Oh that's right, make fun of the dead, and he walks off.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do like it when Rachel's smarter, you know, like whenever she's messing with them, Yeah, just better, like yeah, her being clueless in the first two scenes of the storyline.
Speaker 1: It's like really, yeah, yeah, Well that's fine. I'm glad you like it because you're probably gonna see it again next week.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 1: Did you ever know that youer?
Speaker 2: I merchro merchru true merch as supposed to hear you say, merch man.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 1: That's a good one too.
Speaker 2: Podmeets wor Old show dot com will send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of Production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com