Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens continue training camp Today is Wednesday, August second, and after practice we had a chance to hear from some of the guys in the trenches, the offensive lineman as well as offensive line coach Joe Diela Sandras and of course head coach John Harbaugh. Let's kick things off today with Pro Bowl left tackle Ronnie Stanley.
Speaker 2: Hexam.
Speaker 3: You know, it feels great, you know, just to be out here with the guys. Don't take it for granted, the blessing to just be out here experiences and go through this process.
Speaker 4: But how far long do you feel like you guys are as a group of building that coordination, that plam coordination.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel very comfortable with where we are right now in our process as an offense and you know, as a team and building our chemistry. Probably the furthest long I felt, you know, on any team that I've been on at this point, things are really starting to click early and you know, coaches on us, you know, executing and focused on the right things, and everyone's kind of doing what they're supposed to do. It's just good to see.
Speaker 5: How good do you feel do you feel like the guy that was before that Steelers game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel really good.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: You know it's kind of hard to tell, you know, exactly what that person is, but I can tell tell you the person I am now. I feel great.
Speaker 6: It's your take on so.
Speaker 3: So has been you know, he's been great. He's uh, he's gone out there, done everything coach asks him to do. He's putting all the effort that he needs to put in. He's putting in the extra work. He's smart. He uh, he's a quick learner. And you know, this is this is part of the camp where you really grow and develop as a player. And you know, and I'm starting to see him, you know, definitely make strides every day. He gets better every day.
Speaker 7: That he really kind of thinks the responsibility or you know.
Speaker 3: Bringing him oh yeah, you know him playing next to me as well definitely gives me uh more of an opportunity to kind of help him and you know, just be there for him anytime he needs help.
Speaker 1: Rock You've been born to some good offensive lines here in between nineteens. You know, it's probably maybe the best. Do you feel like this group could be as good as that one? They can have that season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this group has the potential to be there. And what a give you that do this? I just know the type of players that we have, you know, the experience, Vets, uh, you know, me, Morgan, Kevin Zeiler, and then you know, we got a lot of some young guys, you know, Tyler's in there, and then we got the left guard you know position, and and I just I really think we have the pieces to to bring that same type of offensive line and you know we could be better. So just about us, you know, putting that together and actually doing it, what is it?
Speaker 5: Fully health the offseason in preparation to get to this point. It can't meant to you as far as that as far as.
Speaker 3: Getting ready for that, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: It just takes out a lot of the part of you know, coming in and just getting into football things again and you know, learning how to cut and you know, just be more coordinated. So that whole process that I deal with before is kind of I don't have to deal with that now and just really hone in on football and my technique, which is really you know, just helped me be be overall better player and a better leader.
Speaker 4: Mentally helpful.
Speaker 5: Is that suld just not have that pressure and stress worried about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it takes off a lot of stress and makes everything a lot easier because you know, it's just the main thing you have to focus now on is the game and and you know that's hard enough as it is is you know so, but trying to focus on you know, rehab and doing all these things outside of that, which is you know, it's still part of it, but having that be a main priority definitely took away a lot of you know, mental capacity.
Speaker 2: Why thinking back to this place.
Speaker 4: Is there ever a part of you that one year am I ever going to be what I was before I ever would be able to play that level play?
Speaker 6: Is systems like it for.
Speaker 2: All the starting out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's you know, for sure doubt, you know, especially early on an injury where you're really not sure you know, how you're gonna run or if you if you're going to run again, and you know, just kind of hobbling walking, you know, anywhere, not really doing anything athletic. You really don't know until you know you start to turn that corner on you know, the product the rehab progression and to be able to first hand see you know, Okay, I can't do these drills. I can feel comfortable doing these movements, just you know, slowly built up that confidence. Again. I sess that this scene is mentally last year, there's so many guys in your quession.
Speaker 4: You didn't know they were coming back from.
Speaker 7: Major in injuries because keep playing.
Speaker 8: There's not as much, nearly as much of that this year.
Speaker 3: Does that make a difference you feel like.
Speaker 8: It is seems confidence and just where you feel like you're at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it makes a big difference. You know, just guys being around and seeing guys you know able to be on the field and just available. I think it makes a big difference mentally, you know, you know at this point of the year, especially you know so early, we want to keep as many guys as healthy as possible.
Speaker 8: I know, you've got to know all Crease pretty well, can be a legendary center. You're playing with Tyler Linderbaum. That a great rookie year. Have you seen any similarity with human or on the field or.
Speaker 3: On I mean off the field, they're completely different people, but on the field they very similar tenacity. I would say, uh, they play with the same tenacity and just kind of you know when when when they get when they get upset, you can there there's definitely another switch about him where they're they're just not going to take anything from anyone. So they both have that about him, and that's something you always want to see in your center.
Speaker 5: Rank you.
Speaker 1: That was left tackle Ronnie Stanley, who is going to be a store for a really big season this year. It certainly is good to have him healthy going into the upcoming season. We also talked with second year center Tyler Linderbam. He had a great rookie season as a first round pick, and he talked today about what he's expecting going into year two.
Speaker 2: Tyler, just where do you feel like, you know, what's changed for you in year one?
Speaker 4: Years eager if you made your and your stride.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think, uh, I just think being more comfortable, you know, playing at this level, you know, kind of first year here, everything's coming at you so fast. You know, just getting used to the speed of the game is important. So definitely having a season under your belt is is good, but there's still a lot of improvements to go, Tyler.
Speaker 8: Mike Ears said that you think you're a lot stronger than you were last year. Did you think that's the case or just better to happen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: Obviously in the off season, still working on strength, trying to get better at technique, you know, putting myself in positions to where I can use my strength to my advantage. Just little things like that.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, so you have some really.
Speaker 4: Good pieces on the O line.
Speaker 1: Just what are your expectations for having to get the script to do?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, obviously only what six seven days in, you know, doing a lot of good things, but you know, there's still a lot of improvement to be done. You know, I think from execution standpoint, just being more consistent because at the end of the day, the old line leads a charge. You know, we're the guys up front that set the tempo set you know, set the tempo of the game, you know, and make everything happen and let the playmakers around us do their thing.
Speaker 4: So as a coordinated group, are you guys well ahead of where you were at this point last year? I mean obviously running wasn't practicing at this point last year, you had the injury in camp, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think from a number standpoint, we have a lot more guys, you know, and the young guys too are are are playing awesome football too. Just showing a lot of a lot of progress from OTAs and to now and to camp. So definitely having more numbers, you know, more competition in the room always helps to push guys faster along. And then obviously, yeah, you know, knock on wood, Obviously you don't want injuries to happen. So yeah, whenever you have everyone there that can practice and you know, keep stacking the practices, keep stacking these days.
Speaker 8: That's good.
Speaker 2: Tyler brought that he's seen them more confident you in your two where do you feel that the most?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I'm definitely feel more confident. I mean it's like coming in, you know, into college as a as a freshman or something. You know, obviously you're going to be a little more more reserved and things you're gonna say. But you know, I think as the season progressed last year, you know, I had to I had to have a role of talking and speaking, you know, because you know, going up there making the calls, making the frounts and being confident in them so guys you know, can follow you. But I think certainly, you know, as we progress, as you know, time goes on, just you know, continue to have that build that leadership role and have guys go up there and trust me on what needs to be done.
Speaker 5: Tyler, As you look at Ronnie through this off season now, as he was able to be a fully healthy throughout and so far in camp, you see it. How different is it from what you say a year ago at this point where you're just trying to figure out even who he is or.
Speaker 6: What he could be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, obviously Ronnie, you know, you go back to film what five six years ago, and he's on there playing really good football, and I think he's working his way to get back to that level. You know, obviously having his injury. You know, he's worked his butt off to get to where he's at today, and he's and he's continued to get better and better and better. You know, he's another guy, you know, he's played a lot of a lot of football. A lot of young guys can go to him ask him questions. He's very knowledgeable of the game and he's like another coach in the room. So you know, he's a good guy to have around and very knowledgeable about the game, but also he plays really good football patter.
Speaker 2: What speaking of young guys, what have you seen out of in Salah?
Speaker 7: You know, a lot of as years in Sanitian year a year.
Speaker 4: Who.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think he's handled it well. You know, obviously kind of being thrown in into the fire with the ones, you know, he's he's done well. You know, obviously a lot of new stuff come up just because he's first time went in this offense in some of these plays, but you know he's handled it well. You know, he's he plays with confidence and you can tell that in his game, and you know he's only going to get better and better. So I'm excited for him.
Speaker 4: Any advice that you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, just play with confidence. You know he's here for a reason. I think that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 4: Kind of flip a switch.
Speaker 2: When you get angry on the footle field, you don't take anything.
Speaker 1: To anybody says that's important trade for a center in your words, When when you get angry.
Speaker 3: At the football field, what play comes out?
Speaker 9: You know, I just think I'm a competitive you know, it's competitive spirit. You know, I think a lot of guys on this team have that, So you know, any time we're in a competitive situation, you know, a little fire comes out. So I think it's a good thing to have.
Speaker 3: A last year.
Speaker 9: No, I mean it all depends, you know, whenever I step on the field, and you gotta play the game hard, you gotta play it the right way. So sometimes things like that happen.
Speaker 8: You look around the league and their interior rushers team page like edge rusher is just you know, how I guess or what is kind of thud the bar for being a good to your past blocker considering just how dance some of these guys.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean guys around the league, you know, they're getting better and better just at the end of the day, just being consistent, you know in the game, you know, not not letting one or two plays, you know, build on top of each other, you know, because guys are skilled. Guys are really good. But at the end of the day, you were all here for a reason. And I think OL linemen are pretty good too. So you know, I saw our jobs to stop guys like like uh into your guys around the league.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Tyler.
Speaker 1: That was center Tyler Linderbaum. Now we also talked with the guy who coaches up the men in the trenches and that would be offensive line coach Joe Dielli Sandris.
Speaker 6: Training camp. Good to have everyone here, your six round pick. Yeah, he's got more. He's got more letters in his name than alphabet.
Speaker 4: What has impressed you the most for him?
Speaker 9: I mean, you don't have a lot of rookies that step in immediately training camp and work with the ones would have stood.
Speaker 7: Out for you.
Speaker 6: You know, what he is a football means a lot to him. He's worked. He's worked throughout his career to grow to become a good football player, from high school to junior college to college. And he's got a tremendous work ethic and real receptive the learning and takes the information, applies it. And it's been a pleasant surprise so far. So you know, the first three days in pads he's done are two days and pads and today he's making nice progress. So he's a work in progress and we'll see how it continues to grow.
Speaker 1: Good you big this offense line?
Speaker 2: Me and he got veterans. He got the first round pick, and center you got Stanley and Tony One's vesta. He just how quid it It's going to be well?
Speaker 6: You know, and it just like like I said, it's a it's a day. Every day's a work in progress, and I don't want any accolades early. Let's just keep growing. You know. We have our first preseason game coming up and they will see how we do there and then keep seeing which players fit in each position and grow. But the foundation's there for good growth.
Speaker 8: Bring the biggest guys in the linder Belt here.
Speaker 7: Mood his confidence.
Speaker 6: I mean, now he knows, you know, we speaking codes a lot up front, so and that's throughout the league, and he now understands everything that takes place, and he's really the coach's voice and eyes on the field. So he's reiterating what's being taught in the class room and then he goes to the field and we work on the field, and he's continued doing that process. So he's doing a really great job and he's a great leader and an excellent performer.
Speaker 4: Got as.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I'm not going to make that determination yet, but you know what, he's doing a very nice job here so far. Leave camp and we're going to try some other guys at other positions just to see who's the best, you know, I mean, the good news about our business. We get to see who rises up to earn that spot.
Speaker 4: Style school is in terms of the Indian enjoy that jo all this thats let's do some of diff puts some coaching.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what, that's what I know. I grew up that way, you know, and and uh in my career I started, I was very fortunate to come under a coach when my first job was at Livingston University and Southwest Alabama, and I had a great offensive who was a head coach who was a former line coach that helped me grow in that area and I always thank him for what he was able to do. He's past incident, but he was excellent and we developed and the time as the game has gone on, I've developed more styles and more techniques, et cetera. But there is a way to do things. I expect offensive line play to be played a certain way and that's in my vision that I see how it's supposed to be played and I try to teach it that way and the guys try to apply it that way. So it's a work in progress.
Speaker 8: Makes how rare is it have someone that has developed is try to figure about that center positions?
Speaker 6: Oh, I think it's fantastic. I mean, you know, to get a young man and he's just a fantastic person and football player. The way he carries himself and the respect and he's diligent at his job up so he wants to know, yes, the easy answers, but he wants to also find out the hard answers. So so we'll give him, put him in that position where he has to grow in that area, and he's doing a fast, fantastic job.
Speaker 8: Lamar had a purenvironment and stuff, whereas because they're more on his plays history.
Speaker 6: Def protections, you know what I think, I think what he does, yes, I mean whatever. We always try to let our quarterbacks and he and the center and work together, so they communicate together, they work with each other and try to make the playwork with your communication.
Speaker 9: Joe, you know for years, Yeah, I know Greg when Greg Wan when he was to play called it likes particularly blocks a certain way. That how bitch of a difference as far as.
Speaker 2: Just blocking schemes and blocking style.
Speaker 7: Has it been changed under under what Todd Munkin would like to.
Speaker 6: Do well and Greg and I had a lot of the same philosophy. So we're staying with a lot of the same things that we have been doing, so and and and there's some things that Todd is implemented that we're still using some of that stuff too. So it's a it's a combination of a lot of schemes.
Speaker 2: Joe, what Dad said that you're going to be flipping John Simpson and salah at this week to get the impressive of the ones, and what has been Cleveland need to do to remain competitive and battling for this nuff guard start.
Speaker 6: I think Ben, he just needs to continue to grow and get more consistent. So and he's and he's working at that. So we'll see how that plays out.
Speaker 3: To your mind.
Speaker 4: How important is getting to have everybody out there helping from the sertive campus here and we're just working together.
Speaker 6: That's that's vital, right, just like anything else. And uh, the unity at the offensive line. All five guys playing together, communicating and they are able to understand when they when each one talks to each other, they're on the same page. And then what what I call fits of blocks. They have to know how to fit the blocks and they know how to do that together. Well, if you don't practice, it's not going to work as well, So the consistency continuity is very important.
Speaker 4: Joe Sean Manning's if young guy who guy's drawing in for the draft and crest seeing of him that you've got anything, Aunt, Sandraz.
Speaker 6: What do you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: I can tell you this. He likes contact, so he's a contact player, which is great, and so he's a very good football player, very intelligent young man, really growing and learning. So he's been a pleasure to work with. Thank you you all have a good day.
Speaker 1: That was offensive line coach Joe Diela Sandris. We also talk with the old ball coach, head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 7: Okay, good to see everybody here. Appreciate you being here. Another good day. A lot of excitement with the crowd. Guys are into it focused. What questions you have?
Speaker 2: We followed the.
Speaker 4: Us inside all security over how did that idea of the Richard.
Speaker 7: That originated with George Gotsei our tight ends coach and Scott Cohen, our personnel coach, and those two guys had run that summer before, so they're in charge of that. A lot of fun. You know what value too, right, You got to be able to handle and recover a wet football. So check that one off the box. We've worked on that.
Speaker 1: We fucking lot about.
Speaker 2: As operating and the new offense. I mean think he's blokes velocity and as an accuracy, and he's throwing.
Speaker 7: The ball and I think he's looked very good at that. And it's a good question. We do measure all out, you know, we have we have metrics on that. There's chips in the ball and when we look the numbers on that, and the numbers bear that out too. So whatever you're seeing in terms of your eye, uh with with with the way he's thrown has been held true by the numbers. He's throwing the ball really well. I noticed him here, don't like in the play look at your bonding stealing out there.
Speaker 2: Now he looks like he did.
Speaker 7: I think Pete's looking good, Yeah, I do. I feel like Ronnie's moving around really well. Uh he's uh, his feet are good, he's strong, he's a really good shape, working very hard, you know, great attitude. Uh So you know he's just putting the work in right now, and I know he'll be ready to start the season.
Speaker 4: Johnson had a special team's coach out there.
Speaker 2: He very hands on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, coach.
Speaker 7: Rosberg is back with us for a week. You know, he's going to be a coach here for a week, coaching special teams and and everything else. Probably he does a great job. Jerry's family wants a raven, always a raven, and we love Jerry. But uh, yeah, he's out there. I saw him work on the field goal team and the pump return team, and he probably misses it just a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: You can see that his whole rockout.
Speaker 6: Have you got any education?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the initial indication was not not a serious thing, but let's wait and see what we hear. Well, no more, once it gets once they get a look at it another compare.
Speaker 2: It for passion, the whole gets.
Speaker 7: Lamar Jackson this year com last years.
Speaker 3: You have a sense of the finishing his ring that to.
Speaker 7: You know, I, I, oh, I don't know. I haven't thought about it. It's really not something that matters. You know. We've got a lot going on right now, so I haven't really thought in those terms. I think he's doing great right now. I think he's into it. Attitude is great, you know. I felt like he was great last year too, so I really couldn't say that. But I'm really happy with him fast growing and wed them.
Speaker 2: To an obviously put at the same page, it's still off.
Speaker 7: Sure supporting, you know, I don't know. It's a fair question, and there is a point in time where you know, it does become a concern because you know, you he knows and Jay JK and I talked last night. We talk a lot. He wants to be out there and he needs to be out there, just like any player does. And other than that, there's nothing else I can really add. I don't know when he's gonna come back, but I know I'm gonna be really happy when he does. Well, you miss JK, you know, I mean, he's the player. You know you want him out there. He's a great player, and it's just it's one less great player we have out There's.
Speaker 2: A buying still conating new offense of the time, especially since some of the guys working here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think they look really good. I think the offensive line is looking really good. Pass protection has been firm. You watch one on one pass protection, they win a lot over there. I feel like the footwork and the timing and the run game. We got two days, the last two days yesterday and the day before of good run blocking, which you really have to have. We don't probably get enough of it, but they look good doing it. We have a lot of work to do, but probably the toughest area to get synchronized, but a lot of good prospects. Plus I would add this, I think the rookies really are doing a good job. His rookies are making big strides. Joe is doing a great job with those guys. Did you Steelers Course and Love come Sol Raves rid of what you know takes played for the first time in a very long time.
Speaker 3: Un Loved.
Speaker 6: Looked a good bit about.
Speaker 7: That going up.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh, we've run that drill every year, but you saw it today. I think it will be a part of the offense for sure. We'll probably you know, I mean, if we throw the ball more. You've got to see more. Those concerts you've always had him, we probably didn't do them well enough to make make him or often enough to make you remember him. So as a coach, you know, it's like that hurts, but we'll get over it, and something we need to be good at. You know, people are gonna preussure you get in your face, and you got to make them pay for that sometimes.
Speaker 4: They talked about the rookies.
Speaker 7: So impressions, he's done well. I haven't seen any step back, nothing to make you think he's been slowed down or nothing to disappoint. Still continues to make steady progress. And also say John Simpsons, so you know, same thing. He's had a great camp, and next week we'll flip it. You know, he'll go with the ones and solid we'll go with the two. So two weeks in, have it kind of both guys, and we'll both look at those guys doing it and both with both groups of guys. So that's how we set it up.
Speaker 4: Did you feel like the offensive line later became a source of stability for you guys last season and do you feel it that's carried over until the end of this summer?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Childs, I mean I think they have for the last few years. You know, we've always had whenever we've been good, our offensive line has been really good. To me, it all starts. We said it sixteen years ago. Football begins in the trenches, always has and always will. If you're not good in the trenches, I don't know how you can think that you're gonna overcome that. So it's a priority for us. I love our offensive line.
Speaker 9: I think it all.
Speaker 7: You know, they're the core, They're the rock in the middle of that offense. That has to be you know, it has to be impregnable. So that's what they're chasing right now. I've heard a lot of dogs hats.
Speaker 3: Back. I don't r might be un I mean it de.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we had some guys that were out and did they were doing different lifting, they were doing some U I wrote to calls as far as running and conditioning. Then they were kind of helping the guys with coaching. So we did that with a few guys. Morgan Zeitler, a few guys like that today, hiks.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Harball. We also heard from offensive line coach Joe Diela, Sandris, center Tyler Linderbaum, and left tackle Ronnie Stanley. Now, if you did not check out the episode of the Lounge podcast that posted on Wednesday, go ahead and do so. We had a chance to sit down with cornerback rock you scene. I think you really enjoyed the conversation with him, getting to know him both on and off the field. We have an audio version of that available wherever you get your podcasts, as well as a video version on YouTube. That's it for us today, but stay tuned. We got more coming on the Ravens Press Pass podcast tomorrow after press conferences