Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg DABA Acurate podcast, available every morning on Apples, Spotify or wherever you listen. It's Tuesday, the twenty sixth of March in London and Caroline Hepka coming up today. Exclusive reporting from Bloomberg uncovers evidence that Elon Musk's Starlink terminals are falling into the wrong hands. Traders bet that the Bank of England will start cutting interest rates before its appeers as inflationary risks ease and Bailey goes dubvish plus. Donald Trump's wealth has risen by four billion dollars and it happened on the same day his business empire was supposed to be in peril like never before. We have the details. Let's start with a round op of our top stories. Bloomberg News investigation is uncovered multiple examples of Starlink terminals being traded and activated illegally in the likes of Russia, Yemen, and Venezuela. Our exclusive reporting has found that these satellite links are being activated in territories where the US company has no agreement to operate. Bloomberg's senior editor, Alan Crawford has been tracing the sales of Starlink terminals.
Speaker 2: There are many countries around the world where there's no licensing agreement between the government and Starlink, and the trouble is that people are turning to the black market to obtain Starlink devices in away.
Speaker 1: The work of Alan Crawford and colleagues or across Bloomberg has raised questions about the company's control of a system with clear national security dimensions. SpaceX has not responded to Bloomberg's requests for comment on the investigation. Now, trade is are betting that the Bank of England could beat its European and US peers to interest rate cuts. Money markets have raised wages on easing at its next monetary policy decision, putting the probability of cut in the UK at twenty percent. Bloomberg's James Orcock has more.
Speaker 3: Britain was supposed to be lagging behind in the rate cut in race, but these words from Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey as made markets reevaluates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't have to actually get inflation all the way back to target sustainably to cut rights, for instance. What we have to do is be convinced that it is going to go there. We should act ahead of time in that sense, because we have to be forward looking.
Speaker 3: He also told the FT rate cuts were in play at future meetings. That shift in tone has markets repositioning the odds of a quarter point rate cuts in May and now double that of the FED or the ECB. It's a big shift, with the BOE having overtaken the other two during the course of this year. In London, James Orcock Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: The US and UK are accusing state backed Chinese hackers of cyber attacks spanning years and stealing the data of some forty million British voters. American officials charged seven Chinese nationals with attacks on politicians and companies that Washington and allies have linked to present Sijingping's government. Former UK National security advisor Mark Lyle Grant says that formerly accusing China is an important step.
Speaker 5: The fact they're now calling out China rather than saying we don't know where it's from, or just raising it with the Chinese ambassador privately, I think is a sign of a greater willingness to use intelligence to prevent hostile activity against the UK.
Speaker 1: So Mark Laya Grant speaking there. Both the US and UK have announced sanctions against two Chinese individuals and a firm in wu Han. China Prime Minister Vishisunak says that the attacks present an epoch defining challenge. Boeing's CEO of four years, Dave Calhoun, is stepping down. According to those familiar with the matter, his departure was spurred by the CEO at the manufacturer's three largest US customers pressuring board members to control its safety crisis. Bloomberg's Guy Johnson says Calhoun's successor will face a number of challenges.
Speaker 6: The real question now is who could ultimately replace him. He will be there until the end of the year, in some ways as a lame duck CEO. The name that is being floated Larry Culp from GE. But our understanding is that maybe Larry Culp doesn't want the job. Why would he want such a tricky job at such a tricky time, particularly after he has just fixed GE and put it back into a much better place.
Speaker 1: That was Bloomberg Anca Guy Johnson Berring chairman Larry Kellner will not stand for re election, and Stan Deal, who heads the company's commercial airplane division, is departing immediately Now. Adam Newman has reportedly made an offer to buy the bankrupt company we Work More from Bloomberg's Doug Krisner.
Speaker 7: Newman as We Work's former CEO. He's also a company co found Five years ago. Newman was ousted by the board, and he's been trying to regain control ever since. The Wall Street Journal says Newman recently submitted an offer to buy the company for more than five hundred million dollars. It wasn't immediately clear how Newman would finance the acquisition. The journal says Newman's lawyer sent a letter to Wei Works Advisors last month saying he was joining with Dan Loebe's hedge fund, Third Point and other investors in exploring a bid. I'm Doug Prisner, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Monday was also a big day for Donald Trump. His fortune hit a record six and a half billion US dollars, and a bond payment of more than five hundred billion dollars was cut by more than half. The former president's social media company, Trump Media and Technology Group, wrapped up to twenty nine month long merger process, so that increased Trump's net worth by more than four billion dollars, adding Trump to the ranks of Bloomberg's Billionaires Index for the very first time. At the same time, a state appeals gave him a lifeline. He was facing a deadline to post a bond of more than five hundred million dollars in a New York fraud lawsuit. The court slashed the sum to one hundred and seventy five million dollars and amount that Trump said he'll cover. The net resulted that for the first time ever, Donald Trump has joined the ranks of the world's wealthiest five hundred people on Bloomberg's Billionaires Index. So those are some of our top stories then for you this morning. Now in a moment, we're going to bring you more on the misuse of Elon Musk's Starlink delivering broadband internet to countries that have no agreement to operate it. But first I saw this on the Bloomberg terminal, And of course I'm always interested in property. Property in London may have become more affordable in the past five years, but homes in England are still eye wateringly expensive if you compare them to earnings, which Bloomberg's Tom Reas and Andrew Atkinson have done for us. I've been looking at the OERNS data and they have found that London homes still costs all almost twelve times earnings. London may have been the worst performing region in England for house prices in twenty twenty three, but it still doesn't stop it being immensely difficult. Kensington and Chelsea in West London have the least affordable homes. The median price paid for home in just that little neighborhood thirty four times average annual earnings. So that story on London property on the Bloomberg terminal for you this morning. Now let's get more on Bloomberg's exclusive reporting that to smuggled kits from Elon Musk's Starlink are falling into the wrong hands. These satellite links are being activated in territories where the company has no agreement to operate, places like Russia, Yemen and Venezuela. It is the subject of today's Big Take. Joining me now to discuss it is our global business reporter Bruce Einhorn. Bruce, good morning. I suppose the first question is how are these unapproved groups and countries actually getting hold of these units.
Speaker 8: Starlink has over about fifty five hundred I think even more satellites circling the Earth. If you get a dish which you can buy in some location where perhaps it is available, then you can get your dish back into your country where it's not authorized, you can access the signal. There are some countries in the world, the UK, other countries in Europe, the United States, Japan where starlink has a license, But there are many other places in Africa and Asia, Latin America, where Middle East, where the governments have not authorized this, so technically it is illegal to use starlink in those places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I mean that these countries, some of them at least have in common the fact that they're at war. How big an issue is this whole idea of using these kits illegally, of smuggling these kits and why do they want the units so much these places?
Speaker 8: Well, it is very good system. So the appeal of starlink is that you're independent of the cellular network, you're independent of the landline. You can access the Internet via these lower orbit satellites and have high speed access to the Internet, and so it is something that appeals to people in all sorts of places, whether it's in a war zone, say in occupied Ukraine, where the Ukrainian government has said that Russians have been using it, something that Starlink says is not something they've authorized at all, or in other places like Yemen, like Sudan where the infrastructure is just not very good and so suddenly if you've got a starlink terminal, you're independent of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, your head and shoulders above everybody else. But surely they can be tracked. Can't they just be turned off remotely?
Speaker 8: That is a question of just what is the ability of SpaceX to turn these off? And SpaceX has said that, uh that for instance, if there's use by Russian forces that that is not something that they authorize, SpaceX has taken action.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: In some cases, The question is just how much are they aware of what's going on, because it is something that keeping an eye on all the the unauthorized use is a high task.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. Then how are starlink and elon Musk responding? Have they responded to these findings this report?
Speaker 6: We are.
Speaker 8: They did respond in earlier this year when there were the reports out of out of Ukraine about Russian use. Elon Musk and SpaceX did come and then saying that this is not something that they approve of as far as use of it in places like uh yeah, in Sudan, or even in places like South Africa must birthplace where the government has not authorized it, but yet there is a thriving black market. It's unclear what the company's position is on whether they're obliged to do anything more.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Bruce, Thank you so much for being with us and for your reporting. Bruce Einhorn's peace, along with his colleagues, is on the Blouemig terminal this morning. Elon Musk's Starling terminals are falling into the wrong hands. The effectiveness is a communication tool makes the satellite internet service a target for a growing trade on the black market. Really fascinating, Bruce. Thanks for being with us, and I know that you'll keep us up to date with any response that we do get, perhaps from Starlink or from Elon Musk or any of the others that we've reported about. Right I's sot. My attention then also to the UK and trade is betting on the Bank of England could be the first major central bank to cut interest rates this year. That's a big shift, isn't it from many a few months ago where mates in the UK were expected to stay high for longer than in the US and in Europe. Garfield Reynolds, our lead for our Asia Markets live coverage, joins us now. Garfield, very good morning to you, thanks for being on radio. Is this more to do than with the weakness of the UK economy than with the Bank of England managing to beat back inflation?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean there's a bit of both, and certainly one of the paths to taming inflation is to hurt the economy. That's, for example, the attitude taken by New Zealand's central bank governor, who's been quite happy to see a recession, well at least willing to see a recession in order to try and tame inflation. So you know, the Gooe is looking at the potential to cut rates sooner than a lot of people, possibly you're including inside the bank. After all, it was only the last meeting when we had a couple of the Hawks stop voting for rate hikes. So it has been a rapid evolution, and that's because inflation in the UK k has continued to slow down in a way that it hasn't quite done especially in the US, so they don't face as many concerns about lingering inflation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although the banking has been concerned about the second round effects, are these now being seen as less of an issue by traders? I mean, why are trade is sort of shifting now?
Speaker 9: Well, I think because one of the big things was the words we had from Governor Bailey earlier in the program when he was talking about how we don't need to get back to the target before we actually cut rates if we have confident we're going to get there. So that's more open to rate cuts than Chairman Powell has sounded, even than Christine Legarde has sounded, And in particular, I was looking Bloomberg Economics and others have been saying they expect the UK inflation rate to be back at or under the target by about June, and then before that was when they were thinking that rate cuts would come. But if you say you think that inflation will be where it needs to be by June or roundabout or maybe very early in the second half, and Governor Bailey is saying we could cut before we get there, well then you know that does bring in the odds for a May cut, even which would definitely be before anybody else looks likely moving.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of which I mean the Fed is June still the base case. I mean, Friday is going to be awkward. We get both a PC but also jo and Powell is speaking on Friday even though markets are closed.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the market's being closed, you know, could make for an exciting open to next week once we get going. But it's also the data has been jumping around a bit, you know, in the US, but the Fed has been emphasizing that they still see the path to softer inflation intact, and in particular to some extent, I think they've proved themselves, perhaps against too much of a reaction by the latest dot plots. They stuck with seventy five basis points for this year. They kept their inflation forecasts recently contained, but they also lifted their growth forecasts, So they're kind of forecasting a Goldilock's outcome of okay inflation, okay growth, even if they cut interest rates three times this year. With that being the case, you need to see some pretty extraordinary shifts in the data, and you need to see more than just two or three data points. You probably need to see four or five. So with that again, people are girding themselves for this could be really rock markets. The FED has done their absolute best to set things up so that markets cannot be rocked.
Speaker 10: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, your morning brief on the stories making news from London to Wall Streets and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed every morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 10: You can also listen live each morning on London Dab Radio, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty. I'm Caroline Hepka and.
Speaker 10: I'm Stephen Carol. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak Europe