Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian Alvarez and this is today's edition of the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network.
Speaker 2: Live from San Francisco. I'm a sports byline broadcasting network. You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with your hosts Brian Alvarez and Mike sempervb.
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: When you're ready, let's get it all.
Speaker 1: How's it going to everybody? Brian Alvarez here on Wrestling Observer Live. We are here every day Monday through Friday, New Pacific three Eastern, Sunday three Pacific, six Eastern, Saturday mornings Jim Valley Tennay, Pacific one Eastern, and of course Sundays with andrews Arian. And it is a Wednesday here on the show. You know that means we had a lot to get into. Tonight is dynamite I'd love to talk about for the show tonight. Got seven segments announced for the show, and of course this is all building up the Double or Nothing pay per view coming up at the end of this month. We have got the uh got the Double or Nothing lineup? And in fact we might be able to talk a little bit about aaw but we will mostly be talking about New Japan's show this weekend with our special guest in the final segment of the show, Rocky Romero joining us once again basically a co host at this point. But we talked about Resurgence, the John Moxley IWGP World Heavyweight Title match, Eddie Kingston, Gabe Kid No Rope, Last Man Standing, and more so that is coming up later on here in this program. And we have got all of the news from the last couple of days, including the NXT show from last night, talk about that combine that worked combine. Tony Kahn did an interview. Yes, he was asked about if he should wrestle spoiler he said no, and he's right. More on WWE in Saudi Arabia, I got her new agreement coming up, and we may see a major w W E p L E heading overseas that make a lot of money. They're gonna be sending something over there. We got a someone drafted a SmackDown now you would expect. We've got the uh, the raw ratings from Monday night, and plenty more. If you want Texas Today four five seven eight zero seven five sixty six. That is four two five seven eight zero seven five sixty six, Brian at rustlingobserver dot com, f W online at gmail dot com and hey, don't forget I am f for W online on threads, Instagram and cameo back in a moment Observer Live.
Speaker 4: What would you do if you had a broken bone, You'd go to the doctor and use your insurance, right, Well, what would you do if you have a serious problem with drugs and alcohol? Most people do nothing until it's way too late. Your insurance can help you get clean and sober with the assistance of a place like the Detox and Treatment Helpline. Many times addiction treatment is fully covered. So why not use your insurance to treat your addiction problem, just like you would if you had a broken bone. And with a Family Medical Live Act, you're allowed to take time off by law and your employer doesn't need to know the reason. So there are two good reasons You've got insurance you can use for your addiction problem. And with the Family Medical Live Act, it's completely confidential. Call now eight hundred seven seven one four one two five. That's eight hundred seven seven one forty one twenty five eight hundred seven seven one four one two five eight hundred seven seven one forty one twenty five.
Speaker 5: Remember in the beginning, when you first started to build a life for you and your family, you never imagined it would come to this. Instead of living your dreams, you're living with debt. In fact, it's smothering you. Now there's a way you can take back control with one simple call. If you owe ten thousand dollars or more in credit card debt, you qualify to receive a free, no obligation consultation on how to get rid of that debt for good. Call the Debt Helpline. Now we work on your behalf to reduce your debt. We specialize in credit cards, retail store cards, and medical bills. One simple call is all it takes to get the ball rolling to a debt free life. Stop living with debt and start living your dreams. Call the Debt Helpline now.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred nine four three two one five three, eight hundred nine four three two one five three, eight hundred nine four three two one five three. That's eight hundred nine four three twenty one fifty three.
Speaker 7: President Biden recently released a messi six trillion dollar budget, the largest budget in US history, and guess who pays the bill. That's right, you the American taxpayer. American citizens and business owners will be paying more taxes, that's a fact. And if you owe back taxes, they will be coming after you to collect payments. In fact, President Biden also hired thousands more IRS agents to go after you. If you've got a letter from the IRS and you know you owe back taxes or you haven't filed in years, don't put your head in the sand. Call us today. We've saved our customers millions of tax dollars. One quick, free phone call will show you how we can reduce your pass tax bill and save you thousands guaranteed, or you pay nothing. Call now.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred nine four nine OO three nine eight hundred nine four nine O three nine. That's eight hundred and nine four nine zero zero thirty nine paid for by the Tax Helpline.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike simper Vivi on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Back of the show. Bryan Alvarez here Wrestling Observer Live. Mike simber vv also Wrestling Observer dot com. You seased, have not pleased? I was just watching Rick Flair in the diner. Oh God, did you guys watch this m It's ridiculous. So something happened, something happened to diner. I guess, uh, you know, some some guy who's in the bathroom too long, and Flair got mad. And then there's the footage of Flair cutting a promo on this guy that works there, and he is cutting a promo like he's cutting a promo. He wants the guy to, you know, come around on the other side. I guess to fight. He's you know, Flair, I wouldn't there, but he appears drunk. The lady there says he's cut off and uh. And then like at the end, he's yelling to this guy and uh, he's called him very very bad names I can't say here on the air, a Richard Head among things, and then and then a lady and then he gets he gets accused of cousin goes, I think, cuss, like you just did, what are you talking about? And then he keeps going on and on and uh. And finally this other guy sitting at the bar two people down from Flair, because Flair tells again, want you step outside? Guy goes, I'm gonna steping outside and so a guy, two guys two doors, uh, two dudes down from Flair. He's next to him with the bar. He goes, you want to step outside with me? I don't work here, I don't care, and Flair says, what what did you say? Guy goes, are you deaf? And then they start going at it. I'm like, oh my god, what is going on? So anyway, he got booted out, then he got mad, and then it was all over the media and the update here today. I guess Flair wants to buy the restaurant. He claims that'll solve the problem. He was involved in an incident with staff at the Paisanos location in Gainesville, Florida, over the weekend. He posted a veta to social media. Actually was a post saying he had been asked to leave the restaurant following an altercation with the kitchen manager in the bathroom. Footage of Flair berating the restaurant's manager leaked online yesterday, but does not show the altercation between him and the kitchen manager. Flair says the kitchen manager approached him in the bathroom. Flair said, I'm like, I don't shake hands or take photos and bathrooms. After this Flair said the kitchen manager went to a restroom stall and was texting away minutes later, not allowed to text, and Flair's social media posted by the incident on Sunday. He said he took issue with the kitchen manager taking too long in the bathroom, and then another staff employee approached him after he left the washroom called him a creep and a peeping tom. He said, you tell me someone in twenty twenty four called him a peeping tom. Not going to tolerate that, and you wouldn't neither. Flair said, that's a pretty offensive remark. I'll be honest with you. I was angry because I didn't do anything wrong. It's my word against the kitchen employee. It makes no sense. I admit to everything I said. I have no problem with him because I was mad. And yes, he tried to tip one thousand dollars to uh the lady there. I don't know if she was a server or or whatever. But then they had the issue with the guy that wanted to call him out. So where did everybody watch this? I watched on TikTok where everybody else see it?
Speaker 3: Well, it was probably the same TikTok footage that got uploaded to x and all these other social media places. So I'm sure most people probably either saw it on the gram or saw it on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason I asked was, you know wherever you saw it, everybody? I mean, did you get the one with the subtitles?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, yeah, which were not what was that accurate?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He called the guy an Egyptian?
Speaker 3: Well ai, you know yeah, it's uh yeah, well.
Speaker 1: I hate those those uh those subtitles because you read the subtitles and like they're so wrong. Yeah, and then he says something else and you're like, he called them an Egyptian?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Flair says, I got the money to buy the restaurant. It's gonna be called Rick Flair's Italian Bistro.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna borrow it from?
Speaker 1: Oh he's got the money, Mike, Oh he does. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is he paying his taxes this time?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know, but that's what he says. I bet he's not buying the restaurants.
Speaker 3: He says a lot of things, including a lot of lies, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, sad, Yeah, that was a pretty depressing situation.
Speaker 3: Seventy five year old man, Yeah, that could be for somebody. I mean, hey, he's.
Speaker 1: Lucky that guy didn't take up his offer to go outside. That could have been bad.
Speaker 3: Somebody's great grandparent right there drunk at the bar and.
Speaker 1: At Paisanos, at a pizza place in Gainesville, Florida, probably near the campus of the University of Florida.
Speaker 3: Because Rick Flair probably still thinks that he can pick up twenty year old chicks because whoo, he's Ric Flair. It's amazing. And you know, when they were hyping up Rick Flair's last match, all I could think of, if you haven't heard it, go listen to Charles Mingus The Clown, and there's a lot of parallels there with Rick Flair, his life and where it's gonna ultimately end up.
Speaker 1: I'm just reading the chat here is everyone's trying to figure out who would have won in a real fight between Flair and that guy at the bar. The guy at the bar, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Now Rick Clair talks. Remember that if he wanted to fight so bad, he could have took the dude who called him out to go outside. But he didn't. Because this was all performance art from a very sad seventy five year old alcoholic man.
Speaker 1: Supports said to give him some chops and some souplexes, and this guy goes. Nowadays everyone knows how to reverse the figure four. That is a good point. It's true, that is a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I wasn't even to start with, man, but I literally was watching it again as we we started the show. Who's the first man reversed the figure four?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Who says? At least he was?
Speaker 1: I think the Druid in that white WF video that we played during.
Speaker 3: The break, magnificent Don Morocco. He wasn't the first one, but he always loved bragging about that.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know who's magnificent figure four? You know who was magnificent is Don Morocco.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: I've been watching this guy and knows uh I got started. I got started watching wrestling a little after this Don Morocco period. But man, I swear to God him and uh him and the cowboy Bob Orton. Yes, maybe the best team going today. Absolutely, maybe be the best team on raw, most charismatic. He'd be in the top as far as best promos and the Observer Awards.
Speaker 3: He'd be in the Hall of Fame. He's in my personal Hall of Fame. He's one of those guys like Mass Superstar, Demolition Acts, Bill Eedi and uh Mister Olympia, Jerry Stubbs and Magnificent Morocco. Guys like that that you know they're right there or towards the top tier. But you couldn't have had a lot of those top guys without him. I mean, he made Bob Backland towards the end of his run. He made it entertaining. His feud with Jimmy Snooker was the biggest thing in the company. And man could Don Morocco cut a promo back then, you would never believe it. And you'd never believe he could wrestle either, because you're getting the rock version of Don Morocco. Who was How much do you think he weighed? Oh?
Speaker 1: He was large, he was He was enormous.
Speaker 3: All muscle.
Speaker 1: Now, I bring up WWF Challenge from nineteen eighty six because it brings me to this next story. Believe it or not?
Speaker 3: Is it awesome?
Speaker 1: How will I tie it in? Well, you'll see all right, Tony Kahan is not stepping inside a wrestling ring anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Not a good start.
Speaker 1: Connor rejected the idea of rustling a match following his on camera angle last month with the Elite, The Young Bucks will be running aw themselves on the road. In storyline, he said, aw is we're the best wrestling We mean that. In this case, I'm not the best person to pay those people back. There's a lot of things I'm good at behind the scenes, but somebody else is gonna have to avenge what those guys did, not only to me, but to Kenny Omega. I'm quite sure there's some capable wrestlers, more capable wrestlers than I am, most of them, and then I can inflict some kind of punishment on the Young Bucks, Jack Perry and Ocada the Elite after what happened to me last time, I don't think I'd be making a smart move trying that, he added, And I bring the because I just watched that WWF Challenge where we saw the final match. The retirement literally for a long time. He actually eventually did come back by the retirement of Captain Lou Albano, which was the most bizarre thing. Like I will talk about the retirement of Lou Albano very quickly after the break. If you guys haven't been listening to the Brian of any show, but it was the wackiest thing I've ever seen. So we'll talk about that after the break. Saudi Arabia n XT and then Rocky Romera is coming on back in a moment, it was her life.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike Simper VV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: So these WWE Challenge shows, WWF Challenge from eighty six. We're on episode eleven right now, and you know, the first first half dozen episodes just you know, matches, nostalgia, squash matches, you know, wrestler's rebuttal, snake pit, so whatever, you know, and then all of a sudden, like two weeks ago, just randomly, totally randomly, in the middle of the show last week, actually Bobby Heaton goes, I got a scoop for y'all. Captain Loue Albano is gonna come on here later on and he's gonna tell you he's retire, he's leaving the business. And Grulham on soon. The babyface commentator is like, what are you talking about? You're such a gimmick, blah blah, blah and so you know, they go to commercial and they come back, and they come back and girl has totally changed his tune. He goes, looks like we're about to hear from Captain Loue Albano, who appears to be leaving the wrestling business. And they go to Captain Lou and just like out of nowhere, Captain Lou goes, next week, we're gonna have a six man and I'm done. I'm retiring. I'm retiring as a wrestler and a manager and I'm having a hand over my duties to Matilda. And they just cut away and I went, what what.
Speaker 3: That's the way you extinguished the guiding Light?
Speaker 1: What is going on? Like this is Lou Albano, you know, a year after the Rock and Rustling connection, huge gigantic star, and they're like, he's just gonna, you know, like retire next week. Okay, what's what's the gimmick? So it's no gimmick. The next week they just did a six man and uh, and he lost and he was gone. He didn't come back for like six years. He came back as like a manager or whatever and then just appeared again.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 1: That was the end of his career. That was the craziest end to a career I've ever seen. And the point is, they do this match and he's teaming with the Bulldogs and he's face and uh it doesn't matter. But the point is, uh, they they everyone else does all the work. He stands on the apron of the entire time Bulldogs hit the big move it was. It was beefcake and it was the Beefer Beefer and Valentine. Yeah, and he just you know, they take him and he goes and he gets a pin. That's it. He doesn't do any he doesn't take a bump, he doesn't sell, he doesn't do anything. He just goes in there, covers and gets the wind and then he celebrates and then they go backstage and they you know, shoot alcohol over him, try and drown him head and that's it. That was the end. The way way. The point is like if if we found out tomorrow, if we found out tomorrow, if suddenly word broke out that you know, wb D hired Jamie Kellner and he's like it's over, I'm canceling. Aw, it's done, and like the company which is like going out of business, Well that should be the main event of the final show. It should be Tony Kahn, Kenny Omega and some other babyface against uh, you know, Jack Perry and the Young Bucks and and hangman Kenny Omega do all the work. They beat up those young Bucks. They ain't the v trigger and the Buckshot Daggan, Tony he covers gets the pin. Everybody celebrates a spray liquor and the thing's over, it's done. That would be a fitting ending. But if they don't do that, he should never wrestle mad idea.
Speaker 3: As long as he don start blating himself like Lou, everything will be okay. You know, it's amazing. Lou was going to have a job for the rest of his life like Gorilla Monsoon and Arnold Scoland and Phil Zacho and those guys. When Vince bought the company from his father, Captain Lou was gonna be one of those guys. And apparently from all of the stories, Captain Lou would get fired every couple of weeks and Bruno would like, you know, because Lou would do something drunk and piss people off, piss off Vince McMahon senior, some other people, and then he'd always come back into the fold again, but he left. And look, one of the reasons I think it was so unceremonious was the fact that Lou had a lot of outside activities that he did. Not only did he work with Cyndi Lauper when he came to rock and wrestling, but there was a whole multiple sclerosis connection that he continued to advocate for for the rest of his career. He ended up doing the Super Mario Brothers TV show and a whole bunch of other things after that, So I'm sure a lot of that played into it.
Speaker 1: So I mentioned a couple of things about a tea as everyone is well aware, if you want the full report, you have to go to uh the Bran and Vinie Show on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: Oh they're gonna be and charts and breakdown.
Speaker 1: No, but I got two things I got to talk about. So you know, we talked about that worked combine and and you know, they didn't do the Combine live. What they said was now Combine was this weekend, here's clips, and so they showed just select clips, so you couldn't you couldn't really compare anybody to anybody else, and so it was very easy to work it basically.
Speaker 3: That's not true. Dia Hill makes the funniest face out of it.
Speaker 1: She does, she does. But you know, they they they showed three different clips people pushing this led people throwing the ball, and you know they're explaining that, you know, surprisingly, they they claim that they had this gimmick where it's like a rotational drill where you you violently rotate with a punch or something like that. And they said, uh, surprisingly mee Chin came in first. Hence why she is part of the os on SmackDown or something like that.
Speaker 3: You get a question her punch?
Speaker 1: Yes, are you kidding me? So they have the top twelve finishers. Okay, right now, listen, I want to make it clear. I don't care. Okay, it's a work. The storyline was we're gonna do a women's combine. The top twelve finishers will get seated into this tournament to go on to the ladder match at whatever to become the first NXT North American women's champion. So they make the list of the top twelve finishers and I'm reading this list and it's like who wrote this bill? After? I mean, this is what they had for the top twelve. Are you ready for this.
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: And this, by the way, is not just the time, This is in order. Okay, if like they're pretending they had to shoot combine with all sorts of different crazy power, strength, speed. And these are the top twelve finishers in order.
Speaker 3: But are we taking it top to bottom or from bottom top to bottom?
Speaker 1: No? Number one, number twelve, okay, all right, Number one soul Ruka, followed by THEA Hale, Jada Parker, Brinley Reese, Meetchen Fallon, Henley, Lash Legend, Ivy Nile, what is he? Dame Klannie, Jordan, Tatum, Paxley, and Ren Sinclair. I have nothing against any of these individuals, but the reality is, okay, this is real life. For some reason, Honiley started saying that it for She'll say, for real life, Dad, Okay, for real life.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: A mechen is a world's better worker than a lot of these other women. But this is a combine.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 1: These are nil athletes. These are high level young college athletes. And you're telling me, yeah, it is ages because I'm freaking old, and I know what happens when you get older. You ain't winning a combine at my age. You just aren't she's Okay, I know she's not. But the point is we're talking about people in nineteen twenty twenty one years old here. Okay, I know how in God's name, like lash Legend, they're telling me that lash Legend finished seventh. Okay, stop, lash Legend would have finished one, two and three if you would have done this combine not seven. Ridiculous. These are animals. Renson Claire's owt here Rensinclaire. Her name is literally she's a bird wren. She's finishing twelfth. It's impossible. But anyway, the other thing I got to talk about NXT is one of those shows that I love and they try so hard to make me hate it. I mean they tried so hard sometimes. Oh my god, Pro Wrestling University Brian. The segment that they did, let me see if I can which which one, well, I mean there were a lot of them. If I have to mention one more time that they do not and refuse to identify Tyson dumont A DuPont and Tyreek Egway, I mean, I mean it has to be done to irritate me. It has to be like they literally did a backstage segment early in the show with like six teams and they didn't identify anybody, and I was like, okay, I know they debuted last week. You never told us their names until literally they did it one time during the ring entrance. It was like that it was gone and now we're supposed to remember. Like I was so mad, but anyway, it was. It was actually with them. It was no quarter of catch crew versus Tyson DuPont and Tyreek Egway. As God is my witness and I live through t NA in the beginning, I lived through the last years of w CW.
Speaker 2: This was.
Speaker 1: Absolutely one of the most infuriating, stupid, horrifically booked segments I've ever seen in the history of Earth. And it's not any of the wrestler's faults. It's just the fault of the whole company. Like it was inconceivably bad. Like I don't have time here, I'm sorry, everybody, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Oh my god, I can't Rocky is coming on?
Speaker 3: Oh come on, bro.
Speaker 1: I'll just put it this way. The murderers, okay, the murderers, the killers, I don't know they're they're murderers and their killers and their baby faces. Well, and it made this whole thing, the most preposterous, ridiculous mess. I was so angry and Vic. I've hit my limit with VIC. Okay, the funny thing is I like the guy. He seems like a nice guy, he's a pleasant listen. But this guy says some of the stupidest things. God bless him, Oh my God. With that, we must go to Rocky backing him on with more Observer Live.
Speaker 10: Do you use the expensive blue or yellow pills to charge your sex life? Are you thinking about it? What if we can promise you the same results for less than three dollars a pill. If you're paying twenty dollars a pill for the other pills you're getting taken to the cleaners, Our pills deliver the exact same results for less than three dollars. You'll save more than sixteen dollars a pill for the same results.
Speaker 2: And right now.
Speaker 10: Radio Collars will get forty four blue or yellow pills for one hundred and twenty bucks. With free discrete shipping, you can save more than seven hundred dollars off pharmacy prices. Charge your sex life now and save a ton of money. Call now and get your forty four pills and save over seven hundred dollars and qualify for free shipping. Stop overpaying and call right now pay four.
Speaker 6: FI steel Man pills eight hundred nine six five one two nine five eight hundred nine sixty five one two nine five eight hundred nine six five one two nine five. That's eight hundred nine six five twelve ninety five.
Speaker 9: I don't even recognize myself anymore.
Speaker 5: I'm really worried about him.
Speaker 1: Is addiction. I haven't seen them.
Speaker 9: Like this ever. Hey, look, I never wanted to start using I knew the drill, but I was out of options. I just want to tell them it's not your fault. There are people out there.
Speaker 1: Who can help, people who have felt your pain. They know what you're going through.
Speaker 9: This says to stop. I'm losing everything. Everyone. You've been strong in your whole life.
Speaker 1: You can do this, but you have to reach out for help.
Speaker 9: It's time I can do this.
Speaker 1: Addiction is a disease, and diseases need treatment.
Speaker 11: Call quit drugs three two one now at eight hundred three seven eight three five eight eight hundred three seven eight three five oh eight that's eight hundred three seven eight thirty five O eight paid for by the Detox and treatment helpline.
Speaker 12: Everyone watches more than five hours of television, really, and that's not unting mobile viewing. Get Dish TV and make that time worth it. With Dish you can get hundreds of channels, access to all kinds of sports, tons of movies, premium channels and more. Another thing that's really cool with Dish is you can watch most of your favorite shows on your mobile device anywhere for a lot less than cable.
Speaker 9: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 12: We are asking you to watch more TV and not less TV, but make it better television with Dish this time, anytime, anywhere. So call right now and learn how easy it is to save on your television bill and get the most out of.
Speaker 2: Your TV viewing experience.
Speaker 12: Dial that number and I promise you were here waiting for your call because we want to save you money and give you better television. We are Dish TV.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred two nine three oh three two eight eight hundred two nine three oh three two eight eight hundred two nine three oh three two eight. That's eight hundred two nine three zero three twenty eight.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer with Brian Alvarez and Mike SIMPERVV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: In the show, Brian Albarez here Wrestling Observer Live, Mike smber VV also Wrestling Observer dot Com. I'm very happy today to be joined by Rocky Romero. We had a lot to talk about, Rocky. How you doing.
Speaker 8: I'm doing great. I'm enjoying myself here in Edmonton. Who got AW Dynamite tonight live on TBS.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, that's gonna be an expensive call here international.
Speaker 8: I'm not paying for it.
Speaker 1: You to realize I went up there in like two thousand and eight or something like that, and I forgot to put my phone on roaming and I got an eight hundred dollars bill and I was like, what and my how times have changed? Now? Times have change?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 1: It's also funny, is Yeah. We talked to you on the show last time about how Mike God, how many jobs do you have?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: You got to like what's going on? And now you have another job. We're working for AW now.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah, it's official. You know. I vice president here and for show and Talent coordination for AW in New Japan, for Wrestling Pretty Wild.
Speaker 1: Wild Times AW New Japan CML. Yeah, still doing any indie dates Defy type.
Speaker 8: No, No, there's just no time. Yeah, just no time. So fully devoted to the three companies, and I'm extremely busy and happy with that. And you know, I love doing the Indians. I love going to Defide, but you know, there's just not enough time in the schedule anymore for them.
Speaker 1: So we've got Resurgence coming up this coming Saturday.
Speaker 3: Before you go on, yes, where you go on?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because you are not management. You've never been one to take any heed of management at all. You've always been a rebel. That's why you were in the professional wrestling business. Out there on your own, got your own thoughts, wanted to do things Rocky. What has this transition been like in twenty twenty four, in a couple of years before this with New Japan? What's it like now in this day and age, being between talent and being between management, especially when you have to deal with international management, right right?
Speaker 8: You know, it's you know it has the challenges and you know it has its rewards for sure. You know, you know both. You know it's it's definitely a tough job and uh, it's it's pretty demanding and to be honest, it's a twenty four to seven job. But but you know I do. I do a good the best that I can, and you know, I try to, you know, always be in the corner for talent, and you know, because I understand what it's like to be on that side and how difficult it is to be professional wrestlering this day and age, and how demanding it is and the stress that comes along with it. But you know, I also do understand where management's coming from. So you know, I try to be as fair as possible and as neutral as possible when I can, and you know, I try to get the best job that I possibly can't.
Speaker 3: Just don't book Mustafa League against Brian Alvarez, Nobody will want to do a job I've heard.
Speaker 8: I debunked that story. That was not that.
Speaker 1: Hey all, he's working this Saturday Resurgence Leo Rush kickoff match. When you got a show, Yeah, when you got a show where Ali and Leo Rush is a kickoff match, I mean, that's that's quite a show that you've got, right There a lot of matches available on pay per view on New Japan World. So if you have New Japan World, you can't just turn it on and watch it. You've got to get the pay per view through New Japan World, but it's relatively inexpensive. And you know, these shows, these uh, these US New Japan shows. I mean, the last several shows have been really excellent shows. And if you look at the lineup here, I mean it's a hell of a lineup. John Moxley defending the i w GP Heavyweight title against a Shooter after beeting Red Narta earlier in the week. This guy's this guy's turning into you. He's all over the place.
Speaker 8: I know, he's all over the map. I love it.
Speaker 1: YEP. And Eddie King's and Gabe kid No Rope's Last Man Standing match, those are the top two matches there. And uh, you know, how is how are these shows doing for uh for New Japan because it seems like kind of doing this schedule where you know, every couple of months there's a pay per view, a lot of big matches. Seems like it seems to be doing well.
Speaker 8: Yeah. No, Wndes City Riot did extremely well, extremely well. Is one of our best grossing pay per views and obviously attendance wise, it was phenomenal in UH in Chicago as well as UH Battle in the Valley did extremely well, you know in February and uh, and this one is doing great as well in in Ontario. You know, there's quite a bit of tickets have already. There's there's still some left if you're in the la on you know, uh in an Empire area. You know, this is a show you're not going to want to miss. The card is stacked, Like Brian said, you know, you've got the top two matches with Mox and Shooter. You've got Eddie versus is Gay Kid for the Strong Openweight Championship. The kickoff show is going to be incredible with masaf Ali and Leo rush Nito is going to be there, David Finley, We've got Keenta on McCard CG. I mean, we've got a Strong Women's Championship Stephanie Becker defense against Alex windsor who's you know, top standout from Rev Pro in the UK. I mean, it's just an extremely stacked card. We've got the return of Jack Perry along with the House of Torture, and you know, we've got a bunch of surprises that are definitely going to h to make their way through the Ontario area. So I'm just pumped and like you said, you can watch it on NJPW World Pity Perview, And yeah, I think we're firing and all cylinders here in the US, and I just want to keep the momentum going. And you know, obviously the relationship with a W and Timo has been extremely fruitful, and we've got talent from both that are going to be there. And yeah, I feel like the shows have really really gotten to the point where, you know, I'm really proud of them, and I think the fans are digging in what we're doing.
Speaker 1: So you've done the shows in Northern California, Southern California, Chicago. Obviously, Chicago seems like a hot market. It seems like I don't know if it's just the you know, ease of getting to Chicago from so many different places or what it is, but Chicago always seems to do well really for everybody. And you know, his his I mean, I'm sure he can't say a lot, But has New Japan discussed other areas for running these these shows, maybe further up the West coast. West coast obviously easy if people are coming from Japan. But is it mostly just like Chicago, California at this point?
Speaker 8: Chicago California. We've got DC in August August thirtieth, based Washington, DC, which has been a great market for us. You know, I've up to go back into the Northeast, you know, somewhere like New York. It's just you know, it's tough, you know, just the way the world is right now. You know, it's really big buildings or extremely small buildings. So like a mid sized company for like us, you know, it's hard to find a great uh setting and a great arena for the for the types of shows that we have, so that that's always a challenge, and especially you know, just the Mujapan product is just best served in areas that are either hotbeds for professional wrestling or like that, that kind of bigger market you know. So La of course is like our home, so that always does well. But yeah, I mean Chicago, I like to make a yearly thing. I think that the fans there just really love the product, and we need you know, we haven't been there enough, you know, I think we've only been there twice. So I feel like, uh, that needs to be a yearly thing and that we're probably going to start looking at next April. Every April can do Windy Sery Riot from Chicago.
Speaker 1: You know, there was what I thought was sort of an unusual thing. I mean, you could tell me otherwise if I'm wrong. But you know, in New Japan, usually if they've got a show coming up, it's like they put everything into that show, and then as soon as the show's over, then they'll start announcing things for the next show, as opposed to you know, we've got all these shows here, the lineups, especially for like championship matches. I mean, they don't want to announce a championship match if there's another championship match taking place prior to it. It's kind of something they've always done. But it was It was interesting because you know, John Moxley was scheduled to you know, defend against Shoda, but he also had the red to read a match prior and aw managed to get a John Moxley Will Hobbs IWGP title match on Dynamite. Was that something that was easy to Was it just like, yes, New Japan they were like cool with it, or were they sort of like, you know, we'll do this one time, but this is very unlike how we like to do things.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely not the traditional way of doing things in New Japan at all, you know, But when you've got a talent like Moxley, who's you know, just a magnetic talent, and somebody who you know, his character and his personality is, you know, he's the type of guy who's not going to back down from anybody or anyone, you know, and especially as I do the GP champion, I mean, I think he wants to, you know, his reign, to be known as the guy who took the challenges when they came, you know. So I think it kind of fits overall the story and the story of who Moxley is. And I know they with some people who were critical, you know, of of the i GP title being defended that way. But you know, I think that in the end, it you know, once the story is all done and it all kind of makes sense and work together, I think people, you know, they jump the gun kind of quickly instead of just sitting back and enjoying, you know and seeing.
Speaker 1: Where of So Moxley obviously is the iw GP Heavyweight Champion. He's also working in uh in a w and Eddie Kingston working in a W and Ring of Honor, and he had three titles and he still has the new Japan Strong open weight title, and you know there are others. Lance Archer here is on the show, fighting for the television title. He's in a w And my question is, yeah, I think I've asked this before, but like Ghetto's largely booking all of this, correct, okay, so are you involved in any of the booking? Are you mostly the guy where he says, Okay, this is what's going on. You know, you're going to kind of facilitate it here, but this is the idea.
Speaker 8: You know. You know, he's a great guy to work with because you know, if I've got an idea and you know, and I especially know where we're going to be, and and you know the size of the venue and what we're going to need, you know, he's pretty open to taking ideas and as well as taking ideas from you know, AW on how to you know, build the relationship and how to get you know, everybody closer together, especially when Forbidden Door is you know, June June thirtieth and it's just right around the corner, so you know, all these storylines, you know, we've all got to be on the same page to make it all work. Because AW is a weekly, you know, two shows a week or three shows a week, and then you know the New Japan touring schedule along with their big shows, and then you've got the US shows you know, on top of that. So it takes a lot of communication, and it takes a lot of planning, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's actually my question.
Speaker 8: I mean I think people feel like, you know, sometimes things are going together, but a lot of the stuff is planned out you know from uh, you know, months and months in advance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was actually my question. I mean, it's one thing to book a promotion. You know, Okay, this person's going to be in a main event in two months, so we want to protect them in this way. We want to keep these two people away from each other. But you know, especially with Moxley, you know, he's he's doing stuff in c he's doing stuff in New Japan, he's doing stuff in a w and he does his you know, any dates here and there, a lot less than before. But I mean, is it is it difficult? I mean I know it is, but I mean, how difficult is it to shuffle all of these different things, with all of these different characters working in multiple promotions.
Speaker 8: I mean it's it's extremely difficult. But but the good thing is I think that, you know, this year, we started planning a little earlier than we have in the platte in the past couple of years. So so I think it's been a lot easier in getting everybody on the same page and and and uh and knowing where we're all going to go, you know. So so like I said, you know, a lot of this will we'll probably you know, build towards forbidden Doors. So I feel like, you know, knowing exactly what's going on going into that is extremely helpful. And then you know, from there kind of you know, the companies kind of take their own routs usually, you know, if you compare with last year and the year before, So you know, it's just good to know where you're going, especially from Tokyo Dome to Forbidden Door, you know, Forbidden Door back to Tokyo. You know, that's kind of like the key pieces I think that are important.
Speaker 1: Well, very quickly because we got like a minute here in a match like Lawler and Rosser versus Darrell Nelson and Royce Isaacs where their last match involved eating hair. I mean, is this a situation where you know, ghetto has an idea, but like they come up with the idea of eating hair, I presume that was not worth here. You should not be eating hair. Gave if everybody, yes, there was, there was hair eating.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 8: That's cool thing about Mujavan is you know there's a lot of view way and freedom in in what you do when you're out there. So you know, if the talent wants to go and eat some hair and shake somebody's head, I mean, that's all good to me.
Speaker 1: All right, stand by back them more Observer Live.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike semperviv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: By the show Brian Alvarez here Wrestling Observer Live. Rocky Romero joining us Saturday May eleventh. This coming Saturday, nine to thirty Eastern. It is the New Japan Resurgence Show. John Moxley and Shooter showed Umino for THEWGP Heavyweight Title, Eddie Kingston Gabe Kid No Rope Last Man Standing Match, Shingo versus U y Ue Mura for the NEVER open Weight title. Seventy of a Cure against Alex Windsor New Japan Strong Women's title, Jeff Cobb, Lance Archer for the television title, Mikey Nichols and Shane Hast against Guerrillas of Destiny for these strong tag team titles. Nito Yoda, Suji Versus Kenton, David Finley, the hair Eaters, Tom Rosser and fred Or Tom Laller and Fred Rosser gives Darrell Nelson and Royce Isaacs as well as dk C You Rocky Romero and as She versus Jack Perry, Read Narita and Evil Jack Perry is back for this show and Musava Ali and Leo Rush and Mett Vander Griffin Adrian Quest on the kickoff show. So an amazing card, Rocky, And how can people watch this show?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you can watch the kickoff show on YouTube and NJPW World and then the main show will be on MJPW World pay per view. It's like nineteen ninety nine. It's I think you know, for what the card is, it's a great price and it's a steal.
Speaker 1: Brother. You take out this Jack Perry, you could get a raise.
Speaker 8: I know. That's what I'm hoping. I'm trying. I'm trying to run the World Man book.
Speaker 1: At another storyline here on this show, Kie, thanks so much for coming on today. We'll do this before the next New Japan show. Best of luck with a w as well. Do it a lot, keep it.
Speaker 8: Up, appreciate it guys.
Speaker 3: Ye have ade and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yep, we're at a time. Everybody will talk to you next time Wrestling Observer Live. You have been listening to the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network.