Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. We are excited to team up for today's interview because we both know and genuinely like this guest so much that we wanted to do this together. It is Pilot Pete Day. Peter Webber, who is on Hannah Brown's season of the Bachelorette. Left broken hearted, but then he became the star of his own show. He was our bachelor and ended kind of well. Didn't go well, ended well.
Speaker 2: From an entertaining perspective, great television, didn't end great for Peter. To refresh your memory, this was Madison, Pruett, Hannah and sless Kelly Flanagan was involved and it all kind of crash landed. I hate to say, but Peter is doing so well and we're so excited to talk to him.
Speaker 1: Peter Weber joins us now. And it has been too long since I have seen you, my friend. How have you been?
Speaker 3: I've been good man, it has it's been it's been a minute. I think what was the last time is when you were moving out of out of West Westlake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that was Oh my gosh, you came over with Kelly flanagain.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yes, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: We had a glass of wine on our back patio. It was Lauren and I and you and Kelly. You guys kind of came and hit out and we just sat and had a nice bottle of wine, and yeah, that was the last time we saw you.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when I would I'd fly my drone over to your house from my house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you remember that? We were like two kids. It was like so so people that don't know Peter lives in this thing called first neighborhood. I lived in this little neighborhood called the Trails. We were up in Westlake Village. Actually, bizarrely, as the crow flies, probably five miles from the Bachelor Mansion is where Peter grew up and where I lived. And if you you could almost hit a golf ball from my back deck to Peter's house and he would fly his drone and so he would call or text me and I would walk out and there'd be a drone right off my deck. And it was it was we were like two kids with walkie talkies. It's almost my brother and I we had the soup cans with the strings. It's like Peter Peter hear me. So yeah, we were like eight year olds.
Speaker 3: I got I gotta find that because I recorded I had that footage somewhere, so I gotta find that.
Speaker 5: I walked out there.
Speaker 1: It was it was really bizarre.
Speaker 4: Wow, were you naked?
Speaker 1: I was buck gass naked.
Speaker 5: Yes, actually, we're not going to reveal that footage.
Speaker 1: But yeah, dude, so so not much has changed since the last time we saw you.
Speaker 3: No, I mean a loe. Yeah, let's see. So I was still living back. Yeah, I was living at home and was like with my parents out there. I moved out to UH to New York, New York City in January of twenty one, and yeah, I've just been here ever since. I had a little stint in Midtown East and Upper East Side and now I'm in Flat Iron.
Speaker 5: Been out here for about a year. Just renew my lease.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be here at least one more year, and just living the dream man flying for United based out of Newark on the seven eight, doing awesome flying out to Europe, about to Asia, India, South Africa. So really really enjoying that, yeah, and just enjoying living in city.
Speaker 2: But Peter, you're such a warm person. And I really mean this. I was thinking about that because, by the way, will pandemic time like threw us all off. I don't know it was years, but was it. It feels like no time has passed. But I just still feel it doesn't feel like it's been that long, like I was wishing. I was thinking today, I'm like, oh, yeah, well, I forgot Peter couldn't come to the wedding.
Speaker 4: Was that because you were filming Traders?
Speaker 3: No, And I was so close. I was in Dallas for another wedding I had to go to. Yeah, it was with my brother and I was so bummed because we were so close to Austin.
Speaker 2: I know, I wish we'd seen you at the wedding, But it doesn't feel like it's been that long. But I was watching you on Traders. I was telling Chris this, and by the way, I loved you on Traders. You were so great.
Speaker 5: But I thank you.
Speaker 4: It was such a different Peter.
Speaker 2: I'm like, maybe it has been a couple of years, because you seemed so grown up to me. You seemed so so much more comfortable in your skin, you seemed lighter, Like do you feel quite different now than you did a few years ago?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And I mean I think I owe a lot of that to honest in my experience, like getting into reality TV and all the experiences I've had with that obviously from The Bachelor and then moving on to The Traders. I think a lot of that Also just moving to New York City, you know, moving out. I lived at home for a long time, so there's only, you know, only so much growth you can have until that does happen. But I've been, you know, super fortunate and and just really enjoyed this time.
Speaker 5: And I've had a lot of time on my own.
Speaker 3: I've been by myself, you know a lot, and I really never had, I guess, that opportunity until I came to New York. So it's funny you say that, I've heard that that kind of reception from a lot of people, so I take it as a positive thing, and I would tend to agree. But yeah, I think just a lot of growth, for sure, has happened in the last you know, a couple of years, for sure.
Speaker 1: Cutting that ambilical cord. There is something about safety and something about just knowing that someone's there to take care and whether it's your mom, dad, whatever, just you're at home, right. It's and it's the friendly confines of you grew up in Westlake Village. You just know everything and it's safe. Growing when you were out on your own. Moving to New York is obviously an extreme situation to be able to grow and to kind of spread your wings, so to speak. So it had to have been a good thing for you and probably something you didn't even know until you did it.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and listen, I definitely had you know, I think obviously I probably lived at home probably a lot longer than.
Speaker 5: The average person. Mom.
Speaker 4: I forgot. Mom used to make breakfast for your dates.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that barb God, what an kind of television.
Speaker 1: I should have said, he cut the am barbical cord.
Speaker 5: No, it was. It was great.
Speaker 3: I mean, the good thing about when I was living at home, though again, the nature of my job it did afford me a lot of that independence.
Speaker 5: Still, I was gone at least half the.
Speaker 3: Month, you know, three quarters of the month just with work in general, so I still had a little bit of that independence. But yeah, I would definitely attribute just yeah, moving on and growing up, if you will, kind of getting comfortable into your own skin. Definitely was the move out here, and it's been great. I've made an insane group of new friends, awesome community. I've been able to surround myself with so many opportunities out in New York.
Speaker 5: This is I am obsessed with it out here.
Speaker 3: It's funny like I feel like a lot of people, either what I've learned, either hate New York or you love it. There's no in between, right I'm the side that I love it. I'm one of the only pilots that I know that I fly with that's based out of New York or New York that lives in the city. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for doing that, all my colleagues, but for me, it's just this city. I feel like I just I thrive in it. I love the energy and specifically this year, I've been saying, I don't know what it is about twenty four. This has been like the best year yet and I really really feel good about it and what's to come, and just in a really really good good place right now for sure.
Speaker 2: Wow, look at and by the way I meant it in the most complimentary way you want.
Speaker 4: I know, Wow, So how do you feel like you've changed?
Speaker 2: Like, there was one thing you said on Traders at one point I think you said, uh, this is so much less stressful than the Bachelor.
Speaker 5: Well it was.
Speaker 2: So that made me wonder was Peter just super stressed on the Bachelor or has he changed a lot since then?
Speaker 4: Maybe it's both. How do you feel like you've changed totally?
Speaker 3: So going back to that comment, I think, you know, I just I love to reflect and I and I just think super deeply and I do a lot of that. But reflecting on my experience with The Bachelor, I I was the biggest people pleaser in the world going through that experience, and I thought I was just doing it truly out of like the goodness of my heart, and I thought that was the best way to go about it in that unique kind of situation. Obviously, you know, being in that role, you have a kind of a responsibility. At least I felt to, you know, give a certain portion of yourself to each individual woman, and they had done so much to be there, and I just, you know, looking back on it and then just replaying things and reflecting, I was a big people pleaser, and that's one thing that I've definitely grown out of. And I think actually specifically kind of translating that towards The Traders, I think I showed exactly that I wasn't so much in that mode of trying to be people you know, Peter the people pleaser anymore and just trying to make everyone happy. And that's kind of just that's always been in my nature. But I've definitely grown from that. And and I was you know, making moves and and playing strategic games not necessarily with that as like my main priority. And I was putting myself first and a lot more of the situations. And I think I've done not just on you know, on TV or on The Traders, but just generally in life as well. That's probably the biggest lesson that I think I've learned about myself and like something I wanted to kind of change and evolve into something different about still maintain a little bit of that, because again, that's just at.
Speaker 5: My core and who I am and in my heart.
Speaker 3: But I would say that's the biggest change I would see, I would say for myself for sure up to this point.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very interesting people that come from our show translate to other shows very well. A, they're very beloved.
Speaker 5: That's so true, Chris.
Speaker 1: But it's something about you, how I guess the mental gymnastics and emotional gymnastics we put you through on the Bacher Bacherrette. You know, whether Tanna Brown and Tyler went off to do that Special Forces thing, you've done, Traders already did Traders. What is it do you think about boot Camp Bachelor that prepares you for these other shows?
Speaker 5: So well, that's a great question because you're you're spot on.
Speaker 3: It's it's there's been a lot of success from the show, you know.
Speaker 5: I I don't, I don't know. I guess, I guess it is just a very very to me.
Speaker 3: Specifically doing The Bachelor, it was truly the hardest, most difficult two months I've ever gone ever, Like I can truly say that in my life. And there were so many incredible highs, incredible lows as well everything in between. And I guess through the nature of the show, maybe there's a lot of the people that come off of it have similar experiences, some hire, some lower.
Speaker 5: But I think, yeah, it just it was such a.
Speaker 3: It was a great platform looking back on just to be able to look back to and reflect and and try to dissect why was I that way in that situation, or you know, being able to compare difficult situations that maybe I'm going through now later in life, and I compare them back to moments that I can, in a heartbeat, go back to and feel the exact sensation and feeling that I was feeling, you know, back then that it's like, Ay, this is this really isn't that bad?
Speaker 5: You know, I've got tougher skin. And there's a reason for that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a lot of good experience. And obviously the show itself is designed to, you know, as you know, to you know, just go find love and hopefully find a partner. But there's so many other benefits that come from that show and opportunities for growth that the average viewer I don't think actually realizes is actually happening and going on with that individual person. And yeah, I think, like you said, it's just a great boot camp in a weird way to kind of set you up for success and other stuff.
Speaker 1: I like watching all of you go off and do other shows, and it's I find it very interesting to watch the dynamic and almost I feel like it almost makes y'all producers. You becoming producer. You start thinking five steps ahead of the game that's being played, which is very fascinating. That's why I think you guys do so well.
Speaker 2: Maybe because Bachelor is so much about like analyzing who you are and figuring out what's wrong with you and why you haven't found love yet. And it's like a lot of analyzing yourself and other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's also about you. Right. It's like, I mean, you're you're one of one on the Bachelor, right, it was you, man, it's your life. You are cut open on the operating table and you are exposed. Whereas Traders, it's like I can I'm one of many and I can kind of be the persona I want it this time.
Speaker 2: And well that was what was so smart about you. I'm like, oh, Peter surprised everybody. He's like, he's he's not this like sweet little Pete on Traders.
Speaker 1: You caught some shit in the press. It's like the way he's playing is ruining the game, and it's you know, I'm like, oh this is awesome.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I played hard. I played really hard. I wasn't holding back. It was so funny because I didn't really I really didn't ever expect to go back on reality TV. This was a really really cool opportunity that just came to me, honestly, like a week before we even started filming, and so super last minute.
Speaker 5: I was like, you know, you guys know me. I mean, yes, man, I was like, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: I had seen a couple episodes with Ari, so I was like, all about it and I went into it and it's funny, Yeah, you bring that up. I guess if there is any kind of relation, it was more relatable to the Bachelorette. You're right, because you can kind of blend in a little bit more. It's not just it's not the U Show, kind of like at the forefront. And I don't know if I just I just kind of thrived in that environment a.
Speaker 5: Little bit more.
Speaker 3: But I think I was able to take advantage too of like some preconceived notions from people I know. Oh, I definitely did, because people, I think were definitely underestimated me.
Speaker 5: For whatever reason. I didn't realize people thought I was so dumb.
Speaker 3: I guess it's like that's a thing that I've received so much of and I'm like, guy, it's not that it's not easy to be a pilot.
Speaker 4: I never thought you were dumb. You're a pilot.
Speaker 2: You know, you had an experience I don't think anybody else had. I mean I was literally filming my recap show Roses and Rose like the night before shutdown happened. It was like we got in that filming and then I think the world shut down, and you had this experience where most people come off doing a big reality show and they have like all these opportunities and all this press and everything's going on, and you kind of went off your show and then went into the an unprecedented lockdown.
Speaker 4: Looking back, how do you think that affected you like that?
Speaker 2: I mean I remember that was when like you and Kelly kind of got back together and everybody was like, well, what's going on? Where were you at that and how did it affect you going from the show to lockdown?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I that when I kind of, like earlier on said that, you know, there's moments that I kind of go back to and I can compare, like, a it's really is in that bad compared to something else I've been through. I would say like the end of The Bachelor was the biggest moments where I was tested as like a human being. That was very, very difficult for me, and I just had never experienced anything like that. You got to imagine, you know, I was on top of the world, right I'm you go through.
Speaker 5: A normal, normal guy.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously he got a job, he's you know, passion, is obsessed with and life's going good. And then you get these cool opportunities and you batch threat and then your life just changes overnight.
Speaker 5: You're getting you know, travel around the world and just this whole new world is open to you.
Speaker 3: And then to have this insane honor of hey, we want you to be the guy and and have you be the Bachelor. It's like this is getting better and better, and just kept climbing it and you know, at some point, probably something's going to crash, right, It's just life ups and downs and and so I went through that whole phase, and and we had so much success with the show too, as you know that season was airing, and I was, you know, definitely proud of all that.
Speaker 5: But ultimately, you know, what I really did want in.
Speaker 3: That it really was like I'd throw everything else away to have found someone in that moment to you know, have started a life with. And obviously that didn't happen with me, and so that was really really tough, and you know, and then there was you know, a lot of the back and forth with certain relationships that just kind of was like a little bit of toxicity just coming into my life with that, and and then you put in a shutdown, and then you put the end of the world in right, and we mix all this stuff together. It was just like, holy shit, I was up here and now I'm right here.
Speaker 5: This is tough, and and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was a tough period. And honestly, I owe a lot of it to Kelly. I I mean, she we I think that's also a reason why we got so close so quickly, just because we you know, especially I where I'd been and what I was going through, and you know, her situation was a little bit different, but we obviously bonded and we helped each other with that. So I'm very thankful for that relationship for that reason. And yeah, I just I don't know, it just that was such a hard point in my life. But I'm not mad about it. I'm very grateful for you because now I see where I'm at again, and I'm so grateful for where I'm at and all the opportunities that have right now and where life's going. And I don't forget though that again, that the pendulum of life and how you can have those highs and lows. It was a really, really incredible experience to go through for all the reasons, and I'll never forget that.
Speaker 4: God, Peter, you were in such a good place.
Speaker 2: I'm like reflecting on this right now because sometimes we talk to people and it'll be years after the show and they're like, still really really in the trauma.
Speaker 1: And it's true. I mean, you can't enjoy the highs if you don't go through the lows. And it's you know, and the other adage that I think is very true is don't get too high with the highs and don't get too low with the lows. It's like they are both going to happen. Your season was interesting, Like I it was a weird time in the bats or you know. I don't know if you noticed this, but I was talking to Lauren about it. And again, I always reflect and think back when I know a guest is coming on and you know, our relationship wasn't that strong to start like I was. It was almost like I was kept away from you in the beginning, even though you lived right below me, and I'm like, oh, there's this guy from Westlake, and I was trying to get to know you. And there were certain seasons where and it had nothing to do with you or me. It was more like the producers would be fighting over uh being the bachelor whisperer, right. There was the power dynamic of who was going to be, you know, Pete's best friend. And I'm sure you felt that, and so I never I didn't get to know you as well until kind of later on in the show. I felt yeah. And it was an interesting season because I also probably knew you were women less than others, like I didn't know him, an I didn't know Madison Pruitt that well. I don't just did you just logistics. I think it was just logistics of where I was maybe and maybe what was going on in life. I don't remember. But and then just the travel sometimes dictated whether I really got to know or spend time with them in airports and on planes and stuff. And we had a wild travel schedule with you. I just wasn't as present, emotionally present, and I there was a season where I felt like I was a little bit detached from unfortunately, which I feel bad because I'm like, can I I wasn't there for him.
Speaker 4: Now I'm going into interview mode with him. But do you think you were getting burnt out on the show at that point?
Speaker 1: For sure? I think yes. Again, I think there was a lot of things going on in my life at the time, and you know, producers would do their thing and I would do my thing.
Speaker 4: But what does that mean?
Speaker 1: What do you mean like when we like well and like we were in Brisbane and we were at one hotel and then you guys, remember when you went up north or we weren't in Brisbane. We were south of Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and I forget, where's the rock?
Speaker 5: We went to the north. We went to the Northern Territory up near Alice Springs.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're not near Alice Springs, And all my friends like, do not go up there?
Speaker 3: It is there is nothing to do with Actually, you're right, but I actually that was my favorite place we ever went.
Speaker 1: Well because you had, well, you had shit to do, like because obviously we're planning stuff for you to do. So you're going to the great stuff and you're in the like for me, like you're gonna be in Alice Springs. It is a barren waste land. You're going to be there for some like. So I stayed in Brisbane and hung out by myself in Brisbane for like six days when you two was there, went and saw you two concert place.
Speaker 2: Well that's when you went to that YouTube concert alone. You went to a YouTube concert alone instead of hanging out with you.
Speaker 4: What a choice.
Speaker 5: That's why we didn't get close on the show. Bro, here's me for you.
Speaker 1: No, it was me, not you. Yeah, I was k I was in a dark place. It was weird, weird times.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about that one of the hardest parts and that it was with you?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I can I ask you a question?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You a lot to answer stuff.
Speaker 3: Hell, yeah, honestly you really are of course, Okay, I've always wondered this. Yeah, because you went to the hardest part I ever went through where I like I was, I was ready to concede.
Speaker 5: I was like, I have nothing left to get strength.
Speaker 3: Gone was the finale day when we're out at the that like really beautiful setup right for the engage.
Speaker 1: The most secluded place I've ever been, drove.
Speaker 5: For like an hour in the middle of nowhere to get there, now insane.
Speaker 1: We put you by a pond. Yeah, and so I came in. I came in and you were a mess.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but then what you told me just completely destroyed me. And I think and then they even used it. I mean, I know it was good TV, but they used it to open up the season. But it was like that line of you know, obviously I'd been going through so much up to that point, and then you tell them that Hannah and now doesn't know if she wants to even show up, doesn't know if she wants to come. And at that point, again, I can be so brutally honest now, like I you know, I I.
Speaker 5: There was pressure.
Speaker 3: I probably should not have, you know, I shouldn't have proposed to Hannah, and like I can honestly say that, and.
Speaker 5: I got caught all caught.
Speaker 3: Up in it for sure. But when you were saying that to me, in my mind, I'm battling so much here of can I is this the nything to do? Like, I just feel so much pressure, I'm stressed out of my mind. I'm exhausted, you know, what am I supposed to do here? And then you told me that line about how she doesn't even know if she wants to come now at this point, and then I just I think that's when I left, and like I think I almost passed out. And uh that yeah, that you guys said, have taken like that one of the houses there just like lay on the bed because it was so.
Speaker 5: Hot out outside as well?
Speaker 3: Was that actually did they tell you to do that or did she actually tell you that?
Speaker 5: Was that for TV? Or what I've always wondered.
Speaker 1: Number One, she did not tell me. I did not talk to her. They would They would never. A producer would never allow me to talk to her. A producer told me one of them, and I forget who was it, one of the executive producers, you know, just like three or four of them. So what would have happened then is I would have come into town. They would have told me probably day of when I got there, this is what's happened. You need to go out there and tell Peter this is what she said. And then what then?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 1: What would happen is I would follow my heart and my then I would just try to help any way I could. So when I told you, and I think we were outside when I told you, right, and it was it was like one hundred and ten degrees we are You might as well have shot this on the on the sun. We're in the Sahara desert.
Speaker 5: Up and suit it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, suit it up, and we're by a pond. It was really bizarre. And there was one house that had aired air conditioning and you were starting to get faint, and so we went in there. I remember you laying on the bed and we were just talking and we were just at that point talking. But no, how it would have worked was executive producers would have told me. I basically had my marching orders. I went out and told you, and honestly, not knowing if it was true or false, I don't know. I trusted them to tell me.
Speaker 5: Yeah the truth, Okay.
Speaker 3: I just had always wonder that because obviously she did show up. But yeah, I just remember, like, man, was that because that would have hurt if it was like if that was done just for TV. At that point, I was like please, like I would hope they wouldn't have done that to me In that moment, just because that was one of the that was the hardest.
Speaker 5: Hardest part of that was that was I was just curious.
Speaker 1: That was absolutely good.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm not remembering was there footage of her saying she wasn't going to show up? Like was it true that she wasn't going to show up? And have you ever talked to her about it? I can't remember this.
Speaker 5: There was no footage.
Speaker 3: I remember I briefly like asked her something about it because we were doing a like one of those hero shots after like we climbed up on this big rock and we had like the glass of champagne and like you know, cheers into like the end of the season and like love and happiness and all that. And I honestly, I don't think I really brought it up to her again after that, just because I just kind of put it behind me. I think she like vaguely asked her was like no, like I was. I was. They had me like in a studio or in one of the houses for like a couple hours, but.
Speaker 5: Didn't get into too much detail. And that's on me.
Speaker 3: And I really don't know actually why I didn't dive into that more with her, But I was just always curious.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get to the poll now.
Speaker 4: We need to know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I find Peter as I talked to him about these things more and you can tell me if I'm misrepresenting this, babe. But you were produced to a certain extent, it's like you, meaning Chris, you were aware. You've been doing the show for years, and you're like aware of their tactics at this point, obviously one hundred times more than someone knew who's coming in as a contestant or a lead. But at the same time, you don't know what you don't know, Like you have to just trust that your producer's telling you this person feels this way, because obviously you can't be like, well, roll the tape and show me everything, and I'm and Chris isn't there for everything. So to a certain extent, you have to like trust what the executive producer is telling you, but you also can't guarantee and some little part of your brain has to wonder are they lying?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 1: And we would walk through it, you know, I would ask you if they told me this is what you know, Hey, we need you to say this. I'd be like, Okay, well you know this is going to crush him or we might lose him and this might be the end of the show. Are you guys aware that you know, are we okay with this? And what I would also try to do, as you know, kind of host slash producer because you always had that producer hat, because once I go into a scene with you, then it's kind of on me, you know, and I'm like, Okay, what do you guys want out of this? What's the end goal? Like is it to you know, obviously drama and the that is part of the goal, but also what is our end result? Like are you okay with if Peter's done and we just the show's over? And so you know, I do fire those questions back to try and like get a vibe of like what do you guys want out of this? What's the point? And there's things where they would push me too far or I think they would do something inappropriate where if I felt like it was real and it was honest, even if it was tough, I would be okay with it. But if it crossed that line of just that ethical line, Like there was stuff with Colton that I wouldn't say or do, or there was certain things that came to mind where I'm like, no, I'm not going to say that on Life TV. I don't think that's fair. You know, even with your mom. There was stuff with your mom on the Live show where they kind of wanted me to be harder or tougher, and I'm like, no, like, that's this is his life, you know, I take everyone got the picture.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember hearing from one of the producers once they're kind of explaining they're really honest with me, and they're like, and again, I get it, because this is it's it's a it's a TV show. It's entertainment at the forefront for everyone that's watching. But it was interesting. It was like the an ideal season, one of the producers told me, was to have, you know, seventy five percent of it where we can kind of churn up some drama and make very difficult moments and.
Speaker 5: Make opportunities for really good TV.
Speaker 3: And but you do it to a certain extent where you can get that far along the show with maintaining that level of just suspense and drama and all all the good stuff that people love to watch, but then still the last twenty five percent be able to pull out that great love story and have it not be affected too much with you know, you know, too much maybe toxic here there or whatever it is affecting the relationship to really give it a chance to kind of prosper in the real world. And it's and I remember them even saying like, it's a fine balance. And you obviously they're really good. They're good at what they do, and so that's you know, they've had really successful seasons for that reason. But I always thought that was super interesting.
Speaker 1: Do you know, ironically, do you know what the term for that that they used. It's called landing the plane.
Speaker 5: You want to push the turbulent flight, you want.
Speaker 1: To push the envelope. And this, I'm being dead serious, this is what we would call it landing the plane. You want to push the envelope as far as you possibly can, but still land the plane. Wow, that's you don't want everybody to sleep in the back. You want you want the turbulence, you want a rocky road, but you also want to land at Lagordia.
Speaker 3: And then the applause at the end for the landing, What the hell you guys clapping and.
Speaker 1: We all know, of course, you know, the plane's on autopilot. You're not really flying you were.
Speaker 5: I just can't flying that whole damn season.
Speaker 2: Peter, your season was so good. I'm feeling nostalid. God, I missed that. It was such a good season, and I mean that just from an like entertaining and I didn't know that you felt like it destroyed you though I'm soaking that in. Did that make you hesitant to go and do Traders and do any other shows?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't actually really think I've ever really told anyone that. I mean close friends and everything, but like I'm not like on a podcast or anything. And I guess destroyed is like that's a strong word. Just again, very very low moments is something I would is how I would describe what I went through. But I think no. With Traders, it had just been so many years removed. It also had nothing to do with love, which was great, and I was like, you know what, maybe maybe I just wasn't cut out for the whole love dating aspect. But you know, competition wise, that's always right up my alley, and I've always really been into that and always thrived in that environment too, just from you know, sports and high school and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: But no, none of that.
Speaker 3: None of those feelings really made me hesitant towards the traders. It was it was funny that I remember, like the first couple of days showing up and you know, for me, like right, I had been removed for a couple of years, so you're out of like this the comfort zone of you seeing all these cameras around and the mics and everything, and just like the sets and all.
Speaker 1: That doing im interviews and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I almost you don't forget it, but kind of got rusty with it. And I remember like the first couple like the first day, I was like, I know I've done this, I know I can do.
Speaker 5: This, but I don't really feel comfortable yet.
Speaker 3: Like I got to get my bearings back and it quickly came back, and again the show was just it was It was stressful in other ways, but it was just.
Speaker 5: So damn fun Like I had the time of my life.
Speaker 3: So there was never a moment from like why like there was no low moments even when I got like banished.
Speaker 5: It was it was just I appreciated the.
Speaker 3: Competition of the game so damn much that I didn't even worry about it like that.
Speaker 1: But I'm curious did you to piggyback off LZ? Was that low point exacerbated? Like did you feel like you were abandoned by the show and kind of left on your own? Or was it because of the response from the viewers? What do you feel gut you so much? What was it?
Speaker 3: I think so for me, I a lot of people always are surprised by this, but like me at my core truly and I'll always be this way, Like I am definitely a more reserved person. I've always described myself as like a shyer person, and of course that makes no sense to people when they say when they say, oh, you've been on you know, a couple of these shows, But I've also I've done that for a reason. I've always been a believer in pushing yourself to do things to make yourself uncomfortable again and going back to the whole growth aspect, I think that's what helps you get to those points in the most efficient way. And so as much as I was uncomfortable a lot of the cases, I was okay with that. But again going back to like how I've just I've always been more of a private person, a shyer guy, more reserved, and then you get you know, your life changes overnight. And when it's all positive reception, it's great. It's easy to take that in. But then when it kind of turns on you, that's when that's when it tests you and it gets really difficult. And so for me, you know, it was just it was it was a mix of everything. It was. The biggest one was I felt like almost I I just had let myself down, you know, like I had put so much into I wanted it so bad, and you know, the end result wasn't what I wanted. And then you mix in everyone in their mother's opinion about you as well, and if it's negative stuff, that just it. No one's meant for that, no or no one's like you can't prepare yourself for that until you kind of go through it. And so not being able to escape that for a while and almost have like a I don't know, like almost have a way to like prove them wrong or anything. Like you can't really kind of fight back towards it. You just kind of have to take it. And so it was just a period of like feeling like powerless. There was you didn't have much control over the situation. And if there was a narrative that was trying to be spun. You just kind of had to like go with it and accept it, even though you knew the truth and the people close to you, and that's all it really matters, truly at the end.
Speaker 5: Of the day.
Speaker 3: But it was just that that period of trying to adapt to that and become okay with it, that's what was just difficult.
Speaker 5: It was new.
Speaker 3: But again, I really do when I want to say that I appreciate that period, I really do, because, like I said, I'll never forget that, and I can always go back to that and I can see how far I've come. And you know, if I ever you know, hopefully I don't face anything like that again in my life. But if I do, I know that I have the strength and like the kind of like the battle scars to get through.
Speaker 1: It sounds like we all went through something very similar.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that was honestly, I think so. I think that was the.
Speaker 2: Great button on your whole career, babe, is that you kind of went through what the show does to everyone.
Speaker 4: It's deeply ironic.
Speaker 1: Great irony.
Speaker 5: Isn't that that ironic? Right? That's wild? Actually if you think about that.
Speaker 2: Well, That's something I've never said out loud before, but which I've been thinking for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how many years, Chris did you do it?
Speaker 1: Nineteen years? Nineteen years?
Speaker 2: That's why he was going to see you two alone, Peter. He's so burnt out.
Speaker 1: But you knew, you know, I I knew that dog would come back to bite me at some day. But then you kind of forget, like I knew early on. So when they sued Bob Guiney and he was in a band, he was The Bachelor, and then they wanted to do a talk show with them, they were shooting a pilot for a talk show and he was doing his band. He was in his band, Fat Amy, and they released an album. So he had a record deal prior to The Bachelor, So who's he was trying to honor this record deal. And then of course when he did The Bachelor, he became so famous and it was huge. Well, he was still trying to do both, and Warner and ABC whoever was got really pissed off and got upset, and you know, long story short, they sued Bob Guiney for like a ton of money, and I just remember thinking, he's our hero. He's our star. If they're willing to go after him, why wouldn't they go after me?
Speaker 5: That like planted the seat in your head early days.
Speaker 1: This is early days. Bob was like, what number three on the list? Wherever I go? And I just always stuck in the back of my mind, I'm like, if they're willing to go after him, they'll go after me. It's just a business. It's a business. You're a rounding error to them. It doesn't matter. And so I always try. You know, it's impossible not to emotionally get involved in this stuff. You did it one season, I did it for nineteen years, So yes, you have to get emotionally involved. It's part of you. But at the same time, I always tried to remember, this can come back, and then it did, the great irony.
Speaker 3: Do you think you were ready that like in your mind? Don't know if you ever talked on this before, but were you getting ready to the point to like leave anyways or were you still just right in the wave or where were you out of that?
Speaker 1: Both? No? I was Lauren and I talked because we were already dating. We were talking about I was my contract was up, we were starting a new negotiation for a new deal. I think they had offered me a five year deal, and so we were in the middle of negotiations when all this happened, and I'm like, do I step away, like it's been nineteen years, Maybe I just get to twenty and I call this, you know, maybe just sign a one year deal and just be done. It's like it's it's kind of run its course. My heart's not in it like it used to be. And so, you know, Laura, as Laura knows, I was emotionally struggling with what to do. But at the same time, you don't want to be ungrateful. It's a great job. It's changed my life and I'm very grateful for it. So I'm like, you know, you don't want to be that jerk that just walks away from something fantastic, And you know, do I just need a little time? Do I need a little break? So I was fighting with all that when it all went.
Speaker 2: Well, we've never said any of this out loud, Peter, it's all happening today. He's never said that's literally just saying that for the first time that, yes, he was, it's all happening. We're flying the plane Peter up land the plane.
Speaker 5: Baby, Okay, I'm gonna grease it on. Don't worry guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean at the time, I will say this, I always felt, because.
Speaker 4: Of where things are at with his contract, that they were really using.
Speaker 2: Capitalizing off of what happened actually for a lark in the beginning very much they were trying to like get him for cheaper, like I think they were when everything happened, they were like, oh, good, something's gone a little wrong for him.
Speaker 4: Let's lean into it.
Speaker 2: Let's make it worse because then when we re sign him, we can get a big discount. And so I think that's what was happening in the beginning, and then things for various reasons and choices, really spiraled out of control. But that was why in the beginning no one was like coming to his defense because they were trying to leverage him in contract negotiations. So that's what I always thought. Yeah, but crazy times, and here we are now. By the way, Peter, I was just going to say, I think a huge part of the reason you're in such a healthy place now you did the smart thing. You kept your normal job, you went back to it, and that is so smart to do. I was thinking, like, why does it feel like it's been so long since I've seen him? Oh, because he's not at like every single Bachelor event, doing every podcast, like living like you're like living a normal life still, which is smart to be, Like, I'm going to stay grounded even though you're.
Speaker 4: Up in the air well.
Speaker 1: I think that was part of your thing, was maybe the silver lining of your show going into the pandemic, was you really didn't have a choice. It's like, well, there's nothing to do or not. There are no appearances, so I'm going to keep flying. And I know the dream was to be, you know, flying for United, which you made that dream come true and you got to fly with your dad, which was such a cool thing. You and I talked to Oh my god, you and I talked a lot about that moment and the fact that you and your dad got to realize that and before he retired, you guys were in the cockpit together. It was just so cool. But what I'm interested how many times when someone's on a United flight they find out Pete is our pilot, and like, what that does?
Speaker 4: How many phone numbers have you gotten on your planes?
Speaker 5: Peter?
Speaker 4: That's what I want to.
Speaker 5: Know a lot.
Speaker 1: Is it true that he was on cocktail Napkins was at nine to eleven recent they started locking cockpit doors? Was because you know of Peter? Yeah, because of Peter.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to ask you about a rumor. Are you on dating apps?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? I heard that you were on dating apps?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, are you single?
Speaker 5: Yes? I am single. I am on Hinge and I've never gotten.
Speaker 3: Accepted to riots kind of like a funny running joke with all my friends, but I've never got the invite for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, funny. Oh so, and is this a promotional deal or are you like I'm on Hinge?
Speaker 5: No, like I'm legit. Listen. I've never been that kind of person.
Speaker 3: I've heard everything like, but I've never been that person that, oh you know, that's beneath like nothing, nothing's beneath anyone in.
Speaker 5: My opinion, right, I agree.
Speaker 3: I know I went on like a show, right, a very successful dating show. But I also have no issue going on Hinge. And if it ultimately is, if that's the like my brother he met he re met his now wife, my sister in law, Christine, through Hinge. They actually went to high school for two years but never talked anyways. Years later reconnected on Hinge. So that's a success story. I've always thought, if I'm meet my wife, the woman of my dreams through Hinge, so be it.
Speaker 1: If you meet the woman in your dreams in any way for me? Who cares?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: Who cares that you got there?
Speaker 2: By the way, I've heard nothing good about Riyah, but I know a lot of people who have met on Hinge. I give props to Hinge. I think it's the most successful one. I feel like just from stories I hear, so like, how's it going, how's it going on Hinge?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's going good.
Speaker 1: That's a ringing endorsement.
Speaker 5: I'm definitely no, I'm definitely.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely you know, dating, I'm definitely putting myself out there a lot more kind of you know. It's funny, Chris, I think about this day a lot. I remember when remember we were driving around west Lake and we were going all like the spots like my first job at Costco, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had us miked up and you and I were alone in the car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yeah, and we were just like driving a cool spots like from growing up. But then you like aspect really what you're looking for. I remember specifically we were on we were about to merge, left going on Canaan and I think to go out to the mansion, and I was like, oh, I just want, you know, like I'm looking for like my best friend and all that, and which I obviously am. But I think I've realized I've always said like I want, you know, I want that sweetheart.
Speaker 5: I feel like I have a big heart.
Speaker 3: And you know, to give to someone as well, and I want that reciprocated. But on top of that, I also kind of realized too, like I do I want a little bit of fire in that as well, and like I've never actually really been honest with that, I guess to myself, but I do need a little bit a little bit of that obviously not too much to the point, you know where it gets a little out of hand, but because ultimately I really realized, like I am craving so much just to find a relationship that really just brings me peace and I can really just like dive into that like head first and really let something beautiful grow. But I just always remembered, for whatever reason, you asked me exactly what I'm looking for, and throughout the years, I'm like, really, what am I looking for him?
Speaker 5: Like this or like that?
Speaker 3: And it just goes back to that. But yeah, I think I have a good idea of what I'm looking for. I'm dating, Like I said, nothing serious right now, but you know hopeful.
Speaker 1: Well I can tell you as I'm sitting next to this one. Being challenged is important. Someone yeishes you, someone who challenges you makes you better and doesn't just say yes, you're great, Yes you're right. Nobody needs a yes man.
Speaker 4: Peter, you too are very similar.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you ever felt this way with Chris, but I'm realizing it now, like you saying the people pleasing thing that is Chris, And we've talked a lot about how like I think a quality can often be a blessing and a curse, Like something that's so.
Speaker 4: Great about you, but if you take it too far, it hurts you.
Speaker 2: Right Like it's awesome that you care about other people, but then when you take it too far, it hurts you. And I don't think you've it sounds like you both kind of need a similar person, like someone who's going to be your best friend but challenge you to not do those things.
Speaker 1: But you I don't think it takes a really great psychiatrist to realize we both have very strong moms.
Speaker 4: Oh yep, that's it.
Speaker 5: That's that's true as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's why that fire, you.
Speaker 5: Know what exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think I've have always maybe shied away from that, but recently I'm like, no, I want that. Like you said, challenge, I need someone that just like I want someone that's smarter than me. I want someone that really is going to like push me that way. And I don't know, I just I never really looked at like that, But ultimately I want peace.
Speaker 5: That's that's really the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: For God six man. Just you want some peace.
Speaker 2: But Hannah Brown was fiery, and you liked Hannah, so I feel like, yeah, you've done that a little before.
Speaker 3: That's why I was about to leave the show for her one hundred percent. And obviously that never happened. But yeah, Hannah, Hannah exactly, that's she had that. She definitely had that.
Speaker 1: Okay, two things then in hindsight, And I don't know how honest we can be because obviously you don't know, but do you wish a you had just left the show for Hannah b and and second, do you resent the fact that because I've heard you in interviews say that you were kept away from Kelly, do you wish you'd had a better true shot at Kelly. While we were taping your season.
Speaker 3: I remember vividly telling her like, I don't care about all this. If you really want to like give this a shot with me. This is a wild way to start, but let's do it. And you know, she had her contract at the time with the Answer with the Stars, and it just it wasn't going to happen. But those weren't just like soft like bogus words. I was what I meant what I said.
Speaker 4: But do you wish you to happen?
Speaker 5: I listen. I truly believe everything happens for a reason.
Speaker 3: And I always go back to that saying that I said on this show many times, you know, the one that my mom has always told me of the hall, like whatever is meant for you is coming for you, is gonna be years and nothing can be done to change that.
Speaker 5: So that's my life philosophy.
Speaker 3: And I'll never be hung up too much on a door that's closed, because I always have that positive outlook that it's because something else is coming down the line, and it's preparing me for that, so to answer no. But in that moment, I met what I said and with Kelly. If I wouldn't have gotten so close to Kelly and dated her for so long after, I probably would have had those thoughts.
Speaker 5: But I don't don't feel like they're like.
Speaker 3: We got to know each other extremely We dated for on and off for about three years, so there was nothing that I was like missing that the show could have offered. It would have been really fun because her and I got along so well, and it would have been cool to see that dynamic play out on the show more.
Speaker 5: But no, I don't regret that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have a must ask.
Speaker 2: We've brought up your mom now, and god, she's one of the best people I've ever seen on television. How much is mom now involved in dating? Is she helping you on Hinge? What is Barb doing? How involved is she?
Speaker 5: No, my mom is not helping me on Hinge? No she's not. Think No, it's been No, it's great.
Speaker 3: My parents are extremely supportive and it's really cool because they you know, I'm thirty two, not that I'm crazy old here, but you know, a lot of my friends. The majority of my friends from high school, all of them are all settled down, married, multiple kids now at this point, so I'm on second wives, you know whatnot.
Speaker 5: But it's cool.
Speaker 3: My parents haven't really ever put that pressure, like since I've come to New York, Like they're letting me do my thing. They're letting me go figure this out for myself. Like obviously we'll talk and I'm very open with my family. I'm very close and I love you know, sharing good news and if I met someone that was really special, like I'll you know, the first people I.
Speaker 5: Share that with.
Speaker 3: But I really appreciate that they haven't like put any pressure on me, you know, at thirty two and having you know, maybe all these ups and downs with the relationships, like even though it hasn't worked yet, Like I know, they're my biggest fans and they're in my corner, and you know, they can't wait to welcome in whoever it is to our family and kind of complete it.
Speaker 5: So very very happy I can say that I.
Speaker 2: Know there were the rumors about Ecken Soue, which in part was because this is part of why I bring up Barb, because Barb was hanging with Ecken soue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was just Ecken is amazing.
Speaker 3: Ecken and I there was a lot of rumors of us dating and all that, but she had that was about she had come out to uh we were doing the reunion episode for the Traders out in LA and so she she's from London, so she has went out a couple of days prior and we were a good friends. So they connected and they went out with Christie, my sister in law. But no, nothing's going.
Speaker 1: On up a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Not a big deal since you're back in that.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, for the record, since you're back in the reality TV world. Now, anybody else if you like, if they came your way, are there any like crushes you have of people out there who, oh maybe I would date this person.
Speaker 5: Like specifically it's on TV right now as well, like reality TV.
Speaker 4: Sure, anybody floating out there.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna answer no on that, because there there is something right now that's kind of just started that I'm really excited about.
Speaker 1: So excellent, excellent. Oh I love this from Hinge.
Speaker 5: No no comment on that, but yeah.
Speaker 4: It's Phaedra, isn't it it's.
Speaker 3: You got good, you are good. It's it's that it's that green cloak in that turret. Man, it really got me. But uh no, there's something I'm really excited about.
Speaker 4: And uh so it is someone from another reality show.
Speaker 5: No, not from not from TV, not from hinge, not not from any.
Speaker 4: Of that excellent, not someone famous.
Speaker 1: I'm hopeful. So these are early days though, yeah, very very very early. Earlier is because he already said he's single, so he's still but he's he's what he is right now. He's single but hopeful. You know how they say it's complicated. It's not complicated. It's single and.
Speaker 4: Hopeful, single and focus.
Speaker 5: Great way to find it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fun. By the way, this is the best time of part of a relationship. It's that early days when you're so excited and you can't wait to find out more and you can't wait for that next chat, the next talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, then let's get a cute moment on the record for when you two end up together.
Speaker 4: What do you like about this person?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are extremely similar. We come from very similar backgrounds. I'll be honest, I haven't even met her yet, but going to be meeting soon, and there's a lot of we have a lot of mutual friends that that think we'd be a pretty good match. And we've just been you know, just texting and and and on the phone.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: That's that's really it's it's it's just started. But I know it's that's a little too soon to like be excited. But that's just how I am.
Speaker 1: And no, it's not.
Speaker 5: That's something I'm excited about.
Speaker 1: If you're not excited about, why are you doing it?
Speaker 5: That's actual, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's the point.
Speaker 2: By the way, again, Peter Chris is the same way. Like in the beginning, he was like, I'm like, oh, he's like really all in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, quickly I'm.
Speaker 1: Excited like when I started. When we started dating, that's I mean, seriously, that's I quickly realized, where did you guys meet on the show? On the show, she knew some of the people like Ben and maybe even you before she knew me. It's like, so we met, well, I really she interviewed me on the show.
Speaker 4: For years and then can get down That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then and then we didn't really talk talk until later and then but then when we started dating, I really got excited. And again, that's that's how I knew it's I think that's.
Speaker 2: A mark of like and you tell me, Peter, maybe if it's because you feel like you've grown up a little bit, but like when you get into your I think I wish I could tell my twenty something self this. When you get into your thirties, when you've had some like dating experience, you kind of know quicker because you know what you're looking for more, you've made some mistakes, you figured it out, Like, do you feel like you're at that place where you could know pretty quickly?
Speaker 3: And that's one thing to like I in the most polite, respectful way, Like if it's not serving either of us, I'm quick to kind of like I'm not I'm not looking to waste time.
Speaker 5: I know what i want. I'm excited for that, and you know, I just I don't want to waste.
Speaker 2: Anything to forward past the bullsh Well, Peter, I'm super happy for you. The only reason I'm a little bummed is I'll be honest. Before this podcast, we were kind of like, as we move into the reality dating show space again, is Peter Weber on the on the roster?
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: Hopefully I am not available for that.
Speaker 4: Really, would you ever do would you not ever do it again?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You would No, not if I find something before that.
Speaker 4: If you're single.
Speaker 1: No, if you're single. That's what we're going to end on. Hey, in all seriousness, man number one, it was good to catch up with you. Number two. I really am so genuinely happy to see where you are in your life. You just it looks like your shoulders have dropped and you got this glow about you and you're living your life on your terms, and I I truly love that for you. We're we're very happy for you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that means a lot. I appreciate that. It's good to see you guys too.
Speaker 4: It's so good to see the person here. I know again.
Speaker 2: You were the you you Raven and Adam they had they were the wonderful tea booth sweating, but we were like, oh I wish those three have been able to come. That was a bummer. We wanted to see you. So fly through Austin sometime soon and we'll take you out.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I know it's when I whenever I upgrade, there will be a good chance because I'll be back on a seven thirty seven or airbus doing domestic flying right now. All this stuff's international, but I'm actually seeing seeing Tyler and he's got his uh event tonight for a show and Jason will be there.
Speaker 5: So oh Cole, guys.
Speaker 1: Good Bud. Tell everybody we said hello, and give him our love and we will see you soon.
Speaker 4: It's so good to see you. Should we feel safe on the boeings? What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, all right, we all get figured out, no work.
Speaker 1: We will talk to you soon, my friends, thanks for taking.
Speaker 4: The time today. So good to see you.
Speaker 5: Fine of course. Likewise, guys see it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm so glad we got to catch up with Pete. It's always interesting to me people come on and I've noticed they like need a little like when Peter said, Chris have always wanted to ask you this, and also I always remember this moment.
Speaker 4: It really makes me. Honestly, we just think you're so.
Speaker 2: Good at your job because you impact people so much, and they always like have a couple burning or unanswered things for you.
Speaker 4: It's like they need a little therapy with you. I think it's.
Speaker 1: Things I don't realize things that you know, there's moments that because there's so many for me that I vibe aria and you never know what impacts that person or what really stood out to them. And it's interesting to me the things like I would have probably forgotten about the time we drove around west Lake together, but obviously we had that moment and I vividly remember it now. But it's very interesting, and I love when they do have a burning question because it means it meant something to them.
Speaker 2: All Right, everybody, thank you so much, and we'll be back soon because say.
Speaker 1: It, babe, we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most Dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.