Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Centralow.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central and actually five special report The Daily Show present in Decision twenty twenty four, the Vice Presidential Debate, the battle to the America's number one, number two with your host Michael Costa.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Welcome to The Valley Show. I'm Michael Costa. We are coming to.
Speaker 1: You live right now.
Speaker 4: We're live show.
Speaker 3: The Vice president of debate has just wrapped up.
Speaker 4: It was right here in New York City and just outside the venue, each candidate supporters were embodying our forefather's passion for elevated political discourse. We're not going back, suck my dick. The campaign in a nutshell. Now, before we get into the actual debate, it's important to remember how high the stakes were tonight. They weren't that high because, as I previously mentioned, it was a vice presidential debate. One of these men will lose and we'll never hear from him again, and the other one will become VP and we'll never hear from him again. So tonight probably won't matter much to the voters, but to the news media it was a historic opportunity to get people to watch TV.
Speaker 5: Choose your vice as anticipation builds for one of the most crucial VP debates in modern history, one of.
Speaker 6: The biggest moments of the campaign.
Speaker 7: The most important vice presidential debate in history. What could be the most important vice presidential debate in modern American political history?
Speaker 4: If you were using your TV outlet for your grandma's life support, It's time to pull the plug on that bitch. That's how big this debate. I mean, are you for real? The most crucial VP debate in history. The only other VP debate anyone remembers is the time that fly got stuck on Mike Pence's head.
Speaker 3: The bar is low.
Speaker 4: Now for those of you just tuning in to the presidential race, which, by the way, congratulations.
Speaker 3: That must be nice just tuning in.
Speaker 4: Let me break down who these two men are. There's Tim Walls, Minnesota governor and the neighbor from Home Improvement and jd Vance, Ohio Senator and guy with the social skills of chat GPT.
Speaker 3: On paper, they have a lot in common.
Speaker 4: They're both Midwestern dads, they both have military backgrounds. They both hate Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: They both watch.
Speaker 4: Shawshank every time it's on TV. Even though they have it on DVD. But as much as these guys have in common, they've been going pretty hard on each other over this campaign. Walls is repeatedly called Vance weird. He made a joke about him banging a couch, and worst of all, he implied that he's a fancy boy.
Speaker 8: Like all regular people I grew up with in the Heartland.
Speaker 1: Jd studied at Yale. He's Yale law guy.
Speaker 8: I'm public school teacher. We don't need a Yale educated philosophy major. I had twenty four kids in my high school class and none of them went to Yale.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, check out this bitch and his quality education.
Speaker 3: I get what Tim Wallas is doing, but he's up a little.
Speaker 4: I mean, the only person who talks more about going to Yale than Tim Walls is everyone who went to Yale. But Vance's attacks on Walls have been just as personal. He's accused Walls of stolen valor, He's claimed he's a compulsive liar, and he even suggested that Walls doesn't actually love his wife.
Speaker 7: Talk about weird with Tim Walls.
Speaker 9: I don't know if you guys saw the rally yesterday, but afterwards his wife comes up to him and Tim Walltz does what any normal Midwestern guy would do.
Speaker 3: Seeing his beautiful wife on.
Speaker 1: Stage after his speech, he gives her a firm handshake.
Speaker 3: Right, that's pretty weird. Yeah, come on, Tim, finger blast your wife.
Speaker 4: It's a rally, not a funeral. A real man greets his wife doggy style. What are you doing? Also, to be fair to Tim Walls, in Minnesota, a firm handshake is considered third base. But even though it's been personal between these two, both Vans and Walls are professionals, and that means engaging in the traditional pre debate game of lowering expectations. It's a careful strategy where you hype up your opponent's debating skills while downplaying yours, so that even a mediocre performance seems like a win. Let's see how Tim Walls handled his attempt to lower expectations.
Speaker 6: Sources now tell Cina And that Tim Walls is fighting off the case the nerves ahead of his debate with Senator Jade Vance. He is said to be nervous that he might let Kamala Harris down.
Speaker 5: And we know he did warn Harris during the vetting process that he's a bad debater.
Speaker 4: Okay, there might be lowering expectations too much. Tim, you want to be more like my opponent is a slick talker, not me talk bad disappoint pretty lady. You want I'm new to all this, not I'm so stupid. A dog used peanut butter to trick me into licking his balls. Meanwhile, on the Republican side, Donald Trump took a swing at lowering expectations for jd Vance. Now, remember, mister Trump, the goal is to subtly suggest that Jade Vance might have a hard time at the debate because he's going up against a skilled debater.
Speaker 1: Show us, he's going up against a moron, a total moron.
Speaker 4: Crushed it, crushed it. But it wasn't just the case. It's preparing for the debate. The debate moderators were also trying to find ways to keep them honest. Now, at the last debate between Kamala and Trump, ABC got heat for live fact checking the whole dogs and cats thing, So tonight CBS took a different approach.
Speaker 7: CBS says there will be no live fact checking by the moderators, but the broadcast will feature a QR code on the screen which will link to a real time fact check being done by CBS journalists.
Speaker 4: Yes, a QR code perfect journalism. When a candidate tells a lie, why correct it for the fifty million people watching live, just have a link for the twelve nerds who bother scanning it.
Speaker 3: Am I supposed to be impressed that they have a QR code.
Speaker 4: Every asshole has a QQR code.
Speaker 3: We even have one right here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just a menu for a Mexican restaurant I went to during the pandemic.
Speaker 3: But still you can scan this if you want. There it is right there.
Speaker 4: After all that preparation, the debate finally began at nine o'clock, and right off the bat there was a big difference between these guys and Trump's debate with Kamala or Trump's debate with anyone.
Speaker 3: These guys seem to actually get along.
Speaker 9: You're going to hear a lot from Tim Walls this evening, and you just heard it in the answer, a lot of what Kamala Harris proposes to do, and some of it, I'll be honest with you, it even sounds pretty good.
Speaker 8: So the rhetoric is good. Much of what the senator said right there, I'm in agreement.
Speaker 1: With him on this.
Speaker 9: Governor Watson and I actually probably agree that we need to do better on this.
Speaker 8: I believe Senator Vance wants to solve this.
Speaker 3: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think you want to solve this problem.
Speaker 8: I agree with a lot of what Senator Vance said.
Speaker 3: I actually agree with Tim Woltz. Wow, maybe you two should run together.
Speaker 1: Bait.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe a date.
Speaker 3: It seems like you have a lot in common. Hello, CBS, it's Tim. We're going to share an uber home.
Speaker 4: But seriously, to see two candidates being civil with each other even though they disagree, it was surprising and personally boring as shit. I mean, talk about something interesting like who's going to eat the cats? Nobody's going to turn any of these sound bites into a TikTok.
Speaker 3: That's not to say the whole thing was cordial.
Speaker 4: There was one moment where things got so heated the moderators had to take matters into their own hands.
Speaker 6: More than Sator, we have so much to get to.
Speaker 7: I think it's important the economy thing.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Senator of a legal immigration morgaret By, Thank.
Speaker 6: You, Senator for describing the legal process so much to get the Senator we want to have.
Speaker 3: Mapp has not been on.
Speaker 9: The books.
Speaker 6: Gentlemen, the audience can't hear you because your mics are cut.
Speaker 4: Okay, now that's within the rules, but it did seem like they kind of enjoyed it. No, no one can hear you because we cut the mics. Speaking as a voter who's been watching this campaign for like the last two hundred years, this might have been my favorite moment. If Nora and Margaret could offer everybody in America a button that mutes politicians, we would elect that ticket now for a lot of America. This debate was the first introduction to the VP candidates, and we learned a lot about their positions, like Waltz had this droopy dog position and Jade Vance had this position, but they both surprised me a bit. For example, when talking about immigration, Walt's quoted a book I didn't think Democrats had ever read.
Speaker 3: I guess it's called the Bible.
Speaker 8: I don't talk about my bath a lot, but Matthew twenty five forty talks about to the least amongst us. You do unto me?
Speaker 4: Wow, Tim Walls has really stolen every Republican shtick. You know, he's he's folksy, he's in the cars hunts quotes the Bible.
Speaker 3: You know what's next.
Speaker 4: He's going to find out he's the webmaster of Nudeafrica dot com. And we learned a surprising thing about Vance as well. He does support diversity in certain circumstances.
Speaker 9: Let the individual states make their abortion policy. And I think that's what makes the most sense in a very big, a very diverse and divided country. We can be a big and diverse country where we respect people's freedom of conscience. Donald Trump has been very clear that on the abortion policy specifically, that we have a big country and it's diverse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, you see America Republicans do support diversity. Some states believe women should have rights and some don't. It's the beautiful tapestry of America. Now, if you remember, Tim did tell Kamala he was a bad debater, and there was one moment in this debate when I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, he is.
Speaker 3: Fact check true.
Speaker 6: You said you were in Hong Kong during the deadly Teneman Square protests in the spring of nineteen eighty nine, but Minnesota Public Radio and other media outlets are reporting that you actually didn't travel to Asia until August of that year. Can you explain that discrepancy.
Speaker 8: All I said on this was is I got there that summer and misspoke on this, So I will just that's what I've said.
Speaker 1: So I was.
Speaker 8: In Hong Kong and China during the democracy protest went in and from that I learned a lot of what needed to be in governance.
Speaker 4: Damn, you know you're blowing the Teneman Square question when you look more nervous than the dude staring down the tank. If you didn't like that joke, here's a QR code you can scam to get.
Speaker 3: A refund for this portion of the show. Thank you. You don't know how much time we spent on those QR codes.
Speaker 4: So now, Vance, on the other hand, to his credit, did a great job in the debate. He was smooth, he was confident, he was prepared. The only problem he may have had was his memory.
Speaker 9: Donald Trump's economic policies to delivered to the highest take home pay in a generation in this country one point five percent inflation, and to boot peace and security all over the world.
Speaker 4: Peace around the world. There wasn't even peace in this country. The only time there was peace was when we were all locked in our house cleaning our vegetables with chlorox wipes wipes I stole from my neighbor and sold them on eBay, which did increase my take home pay.
Speaker 3: So thank you, Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Now, so what did we learn about tonight? Well, first, let's be honest, ninety nine percent of voters will not care about the VP debate.
Speaker 3: That's a fact. If you want to check it, you can scan this QR copy.
Speaker 4: We had to do one mark which will open up your Internet browser and you can google it yourself. I'm busy, I'm hosting a live TV show, okay. But aside from that, the thing I took away from this debate was that both of these men they made the Midwest proud, all right. This debate was anay basis of Midwestern nice, and just like Midwestern nice, it was a mask covering deep seated hatred and resentment. Don't let ninety minutes of them in a room together fool you. These men represent two movements that are at each other's throats, and their visions for America are radically different. So tonight might have been all I agree and my friend has a point, But tomorrow morning, we're all going to.
Speaker 3: Be back to this. When we come back, we find out what voters think about the deep, choicest over half of the dial show. New York City had the honor.
Speaker 4: Of hosting tonight's vice presidential debate, so our news team hit the streets to find out how excited New Yorkers were about getting to see history up close.
Speaker 10: The vice presidential debate is happening right here in New York City, and people are excited. I'm outside of the venue on fifty seventh Street right now to gauge the temperature of New York's VP debate fever.
Speaker 7: And I'm on the other side of fifty seventh Street because there are New Yorkers pumped about this debate literally everywhere.
Speaker 11: And I'm on the corner of fifty seventh Street because there just happens to me New Yorkers here as well.
Speaker 10: So on a scale of one to ten, how excited are you that the vice presidential debate is in New York City?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say negative too.
Speaker 11: Okay, you have notice a bike goal, so you're not excited?
Speaker 1: No, particularly, No, I personally don't care. Is that happening? No idea?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're living under? A rock or thirty rock? Yeah, it's a New York joke.
Speaker 10: Do you think that this vice presidential debate is going to sway in any way.
Speaker 1: One where they are?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't really expect what so they almost don't need to do it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Were we the only pumped up beep stands in New York City?
Speaker 2: Does anyone want my tickets to this mentor I'm going to the vice presidential debate tonight?
Speaker 11: Or did people just not remember how awesome vice presidents are?
Speaker 3: Who was your favorite vice president? I'm why.
Speaker 1: So Joe Biden was my favorite? Are you gonna ask for my favorite?
Speaker 4: I mean I might as well.
Speaker 11: Dan Quayle And I'm wearing my favorite dan Quayle T shirt today and every morning I wake up and I choose which dan Quayle T shirt I'm gonna wear.
Speaker 1: I don't know who that is.
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 10: Do you have any any at all favorite VP moments in history?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: Okay, no is also a very correct answer.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna give you the name of a person and you have to tell me if they're a former vice president or something else. Okay, So, Richard mentor Johnson, former VP or serial killer?
Speaker 2: Sounds like to.
Speaker 3: He's a former vice president.
Speaker 11: Garrett Hobart former VP or NFL wide receiver.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go NFL.
Speaker 11: He's another former vice president, Hobart So George Clinton, former VP, or founding member of Parliament. Funkadelic. That's definitely Funkadelic. That's a trick question. It's actually both answers are correct.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me what a vice president actually does?
Speaker 1: I've never really known what a VP does, To be honest, I don't know. That is a question that I would love to get answered. A lot of ribbon cuttings, a lot of hand holding.
Speaker 10: Like a ornament, very special Christmas ornament that just kind of hangs around.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: I think they're like a justin case thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, the CEO of justin case.
Speaker 1: The official job of the vice president would be to.
Speaker 3: Stand behind the president, just physically be there.
Speaker 11: Yes, after hours of searching, something incredible happened. I finally found a group of people who are exhibiting the appropriate amount of excitement for this debate.
Speaker 10: I think.
Speaker 11: There's like four people back there.
Speaker 3: How exciting. How excited are you for the debate tonight? I'm extremely excited me too.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jd Vance is gonna wipe the floor with Kim Waltz.
Speaker 3: Tonight.
Speaker 1: Do you get nervous that JD.
Speaker 3: Vance might forget his role and accidentally call Donald Trump Hitler again?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Absolutely no. You don't think he's gonna do it because he's done it before, and I get a little nervous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vance, heads aside.
Speaker 5: Maybe we would all respect the vice president more if we could walk a mile in their shoes.
Speaker 3: So what would you do as vice president? If you were vice president?
Speaker 1: First, okay, I would try to make healthcare all around the board for everybody.
Speaker 10: Now, as VP, you wouldn't really have the power to do that.
Speaker 1: I know I wouldn't have the power to do that.
Speaker 10: So what other things would you do as Vice president?
Speaker 1: I would try to do like wellness of the elderly.
Speaker 10: So more protections for seniors. As VP, you wouldn't really have.
Speaker 1: The power to do that. I know, I wouldn't. I know, I wouldn't.
Speaker 10: As VP, your powers would be to break ties in the Senate and to certify the election.
Speaker 3: That's kind of it.
Speaker 1: I mean I would try to do that then, Okay.
Speaker 11: Now, if there's a winning slogan, I would try to do that that.
Speaker 3: When we come back, Colronto will be joining you on the show.
Speaker 1: Don't go well.
Speaker 3: Welcome doctor Burn the show My guests tonight is.
Speaker 4: An Emmy Award winning journalist an author whose new book is called Defectors, The Rise of the Latino Far Right and What it Means for America.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Paula Ramos. Yes, we're live.
Speaker 9: We're live.
Speaker 1: We're live.
Speaker 3: We're live. We're live, We're live. This is your book. It's great, man. I learned a lot the very subject.
Speaker 4: It is a scary subject, the rise of the Latino far right and what it means for America.
Speaker 3: What does it mean for America?
Speaker 5: Well, it means that after you see the debate today, know and you have someone like JD. Vance that's talking about mass importations, it's still not apologizing about the way that he referred to Haitian migrants, which are legal, by the way, and that even when some Latinos see that, they still feel sort of reflected in that trump Ism. Right, And so if we consider the fact that today that very same man, Donald Trump, that is promising massiveportations, he's pulling at around forty percent with Latino voters. Yeah, so I think it's important to question why no per sely because Democrats have always sort of believed that it would be Latino voters that would take them to that future.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, when I read this, I would you know, why would.
Speaker 4: With such with trump rhetoric of the southern border of migrants, why would the Latino population support him in such a way?
Speaker 5: Well, think about it like this, maybe you and I. I always identify as a Latina, and I when I do that, I always think about the fact that my parents are Cuban exiles and Mexican immigrants, right, But there is a sector of Latinos that don't want to see themselves in that way, and I do not want to see themselves lumped with other immigrants. So even if we think about how the Latino community has changed in the last twenty thirty years, now we're talking about a community now that is a lot more American. I isn't assimilated. Most of the Latino voting black is under the age of fifty. You was born, and so then I understood that I was testing you, I was tessing you.
Speaker 3: But all this to say that I don't know how to respond, but I understand yo, malo.
Speaker 5: Anyways, long story short, I think what Trumbism does really well is when they think about that Latino voting block. They're betting on this one idea, and that is the fact that there are some Latinas that are so Americanized and assimilated now that they too will sort of buy into the nativism, that they too will really look at hear the words send them back, not at all see themselves reflected in that them and.
Speaker 4: That accesses you know, it feels like and you justplain this in the book, that this has more to do with the history absolutely of people who came over. And that's what's so interesting to me was understanding these are traumatic stories. How how does Trumpism, how do they tap into that history?
Speaker 3: You can talk about a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yes, So I think when you think about sort of the Latina Maga Trump supporters, we try to explain that phenomenon through trump Ism or the Maga effect. I think the harder part is really thinking about our story or the sort of cultural forces that are among us. And I'm talking about understanding the racial baggage that we carry from Latin America, and I think as Latinos, it's hard to talk about race and colorism and I'm talking about the weights of colonialism, like how does that sort of brutal history really shape our sort of moral compass. And then I'm talking about the political trauma and what it means to sort of flee from these countries. And then when you think of all those factors together, then you start to understand why Donald Trump feels so comfortable going to the Bronx and talking to some black Latinas about racism, knowing criminalizing black folks to them. Then you start to understand why he feels so comfortable talking to Mexican Americans about the border and the wall, because he can he taps into that grievance.
Speaker 4: What did you see tonight in the debate that maybe I didn't notice or wasn't paying attention to.
Speaker 3: Was there bored?
Speaker 4: I wasn't bored, But you know, I was ignorant to so many things in this book, and that's why it's such a great read.
Speaker 3: And man, there's some really.
Speaker 4: Personal stories that are fascinating. What happened tonight in the debate? Was there some calling out to the Latino population that I didn't notice or did notice?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: I think, to me what was interesting is I think for the first twenty minutes you see a JD evance that I think that the bar was so low. He seemed very decent.
Speaker 3: He was doing your job.
Speaker 5: He almost forgot to your point aim that he had called Donald Trump and idiot. Once you forget all these things.
Speaker 3: I complimented him on the show and the whole audience was like, what.
Speaker 1: The fuck with you?
Speaker 5: But he was believable until he got to this section of immigration, and in that moment, in a very slick way, that's when you start to see the way that he has this ability and trump Ism has this very brilliant ability to dehumanize the others. That's when he started to really veal himself. No, he starts the lies, he starts to dehumanize people, and then he can't answer a fundamental question now, which is will you separate families? Will you separate the children the US born children of Americant parents. He wasn't able to answer that question because the answer is yes, and that yes entails separating not just undocumented immigrants. But he can't even tell us with a straight face when he talks about immigrants. Can he tell us that legal immigrants would also be deported? I mean usborn children, Will they be deported? I mean so, I think those blurring of the lions. It's very dangerous.
Speaker 3: What lastly, quickly, what can Kamala?
Speaker 4: What can the Democrats do to reach out more to the Latino population?
Speaker 5: I think sort of ground people in the urgency. You know, this is someone and this is a team that is literally talking about mass deportations now, and that entails deputizing local police forces going around people's homes. And there's over ten million US citizens in this country that live in make status family. This isn't an immigrant story, this isn't a Latino story. This is truly like an American issue. So ground people in that urgency.
Speaker 3: It's a great book.
Speaker 4: I learned so much. Every American should read it. Thank you for coming and talking with us defectors is available now.
Speaker 3: Paul Ramos with a quick way. That's our show for tonight.
Speaker 5: Thank you now here.
Speaker 3: It is your moment of za.
Speaker 4: Historically, the VP debate really hasn't had much impact on election day.
Speaker 3: Less exciting, less consequential.
Speaker 8: I don't think the stakes between those who are particularly.
Speaker 10: High, it's not going to change much in the presential right, so it usually doesn't count for much.
Speaker 1: This is a debate that really doesn't matter.
Speaker 10: Doug High was on before and quoted from the famous movie Meatballs.
Speaker 3: You know, it just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. What do we think about tonight?
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 1: Get you podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten.
Speaker 2: Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 8: Paramount Podcasts