Speaker 1: So all the people I talked about that I brought to Colorado. I had this big fifteen passenger van with the cooler inside that was picking them up bringing to the game. They're going to bring them home the cooler full of kol aides. Oh yeah, so we win the game. I'm about to leave after the party in Pierre Lacroix, our general manager says, Ray, bring the cup home with you. I'm like, all right, So now I got it in a van. Now forget it. Everybody's coming home with me. So now two thirty three o'clock in the morning, I turn on my streets, start beeping the horn. I put the cup on the sidewalk, the cool in the street. We're there till five thirty in the morning. Wow, it was amazing. And then you know, then you go to bed with it and if that thing could talk. Man.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Games with Names.
Speaker 1: I'm Juliet Edelman.
Speaker 2: They are Jack and Kyler, and we are on a mission to find the greatest game of all time. On today's episode, we've got Hockey Royalty in the building, right, Stanley Cup is here in the nuthouse.
Speaker 1: I can't believe. I just can't believe.
Speaker 2: Twelve, and we're covering Game seven of the two thousand and one Stanley Cup Final Devils versus Avalanche with Hockey Hall of Famer, Bruins legend and Stanley Cup champion Ray Borg, and we get into talking what it's like winning a championship after twenty two years in the league, on his last game ever.
Speaker 1: Twenty one years old, chasing it. It was an amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: Time, the feeling of lifting the Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: That Joe grabs a cup that just passed it on to me, and then it's just like what a relief.
Speaker 2: And what goes into a playoff?
Speaker 1: Beard, That's when the Olivers kind of started this bear thing, mullets and everything. You know, it's it's a hockey thing.
Speaker 2: And then we wrap up the show with another guest, the one and only the Keeper of the Cup, Phil Pritchard.
Speaker 1: If it could talk, it have its own podcast that I produce that there's.
Speaker 2: Just so much or in building tonight. Let's go, you got to stick around to the end.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Games with Names is a.
Speaker 2: Production of iHeart Radio. June ninth, two thousand and one, Pepsi Center, Denver, Colorado.
Speaker 1: Game seven Devils versus Avalanche. The Cup is in the building, and.
Speaker 2: After twenty two years.
Speaker 3: Raymond bork this game seven of the two thousand and one Scanley Cup Finals.
Speaker 1: I was there for the first Super Bowl New Orleans. I had just retired. Yeah, I was in there where Veritech kick the field goal? Vin Terry, I know, but you weren't there when Marrier Monino was you guys remember that? Yes?
Speaker 2: No, oh my god, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Their Bobby your statue in front of the garden. So Merri Monino was there talking about the the iconic moments in sports in Boston and Maritech kicking the field goals.
Speaker 2: The captain, Well, we are looking at game seven of the two thousand and one Stanley Cup Final, Devils versus the Avalanche with a Boston legend, Ray Borg. Welcome to the nuthouse, Ray, I got one question. We'll dive into the game plenty, but in one sentence, why this game?
Speaker 1: Because I won the Cup one thing that was pretty much left for me to accomplish in my career. You know, I never thought I would leave Boston, but things were where they were at that time, and I was eight years old and never thought I'd leave to win a Cup, but I had to leave to kind of see if I had any more any more juice in the tank for me and to compete again because it had been a while, you know. I went to two finals with the Bruins and eighty eight and ninety and after that we had a couple of good runs in the early nineties, but after that we were kind of not that good. So it had been a while and I was always one to bring energy, passion and you could disname it whatever to the rink, and I was really having a hard time at that point. So I came to the conclusion that I had to go somewhere else and ended up going to an amazing place where I was part of a team that was the best team that I've ever played with. I got there in March of two thousand. That first year, we got to the semifinals against Dallas, lost in a seventh game, and I knew that I was going back for another year. And that's why to compete, To go on a team where I knew I was going to be able to compete, and to get to that seventh game. Playing for this thing was just an amazing feeling. Now, is this the greatest game? Of all time. Uh for me, yes, Uh, it's the ultimate. I mean, you know, you know you've won three five three five. You weren't around that long, okay, well three. And it is so hard to win. I don't care what sport you're playing. Uh, so many things have to go right, and you've got to go through so many ups and downs and uh, so many different emotions and regardless off your favorites or not, it's uh, there's no guarantees and it's so hard. So and I had played, you know, in eighty eight, in ninety with the Bruins. We lost to Edmonton in four games in eighty eight and then five games, and so I know you're playing for the Cups in the finals, but you're not really playing for the cup. So playing that's seventh game, you know that you're now playing for the cup because you've got three wins and now the next one, whoever wins this gets to pick this thing up. And so it's just an amazing run. And for me going back to you know, Colorado, I got there March sixth, We got to the SEMIS. I knew I was going back for one more year, so I asked the general manager. I said just give me the same amount of money I was making last year. I'm coming, I'm playing one more year. He says, no, I'm giving you a two year deal. I'm like, I'm only playing one more years? Is I'm giving you two years? So I'm like, all right. So I knew that. I told my wife. The only people I kind of knew was my wife and I that I'm only playing one more year regardless of what happens. So Game six and seven for me was an amazing experience because we go to New Jersey down three to two. Nobody's given us a chance to win that game against the defending champs, And for me, I got to live it like to the fullest because I had my siblings, my dad, my wife's siblings, her dad, my best friends at Game six in case this was going to be my last game, I wanted those people there. So the last pregame skate at in Colorado, you know the practice rank you kind of you're you're looking around, You're taking everything in. Then you fly to New Jersey. You know, the next morning, pregame, skate, pregame meal, pregame nap. You're really sucking it all in because you know this you know this might be it. Then we go out first ten minutes, New Jerseys is storming us and Patrick wats standing on his head making saves after save, and then ten minutes in Adam Foot scores a goal right inside the blue line and from that point on we take over. The game go on and it went for nothing. So now everybody that had at Game six all I brought to Colorado for game seven knowing that's my last game. So just that thought that you know that this is regardless of what happens in game seven, this is it. I have the people that are important to me that are going to be watching me, and then closing a deal and winning it. I mean, I don't know when you want to hear the story after we partied. Yeah, so it's it. It was just an amazing and that's why that game. I mean, there's so much that went into that game, you know, twenty one years of chasing it and finally after twenty two years, being able to hoist it. So it's the game. You know, they asked what are your There's so many big moments that it's really unfair to kind of when you're asked, you know, what are the special moments. Well, I look at bookends, you know, I look at my last game where I was able to hoist the cup and my first game where you finally make it. You play your first NHL game where you dream as a kid to play in the NHL, and then it happens, and you know, then you end up playing twenty two years and you go, holy crap.
Speaker 2: And it goes like that. Probably, now, who's your first game against Winnipeg Jets. Last game was against New Jersey Devils.
Speaker 1: You knew for sure this was going to be your last game no matter what. Yes, yeah, for sure, one hundred percent. I had six million reasons to go back for the second year. But I was like, regardless, it wasn't going to happen. I thought, just I was forty years old, and you know that last year I averaged the most minutes played out of anybody in the NHL. I average over twenty seven minutes a game. I was up for Norris Best Defenseman that year. But just mentally, and you know, to get me to where I had needed to get to to play another year, I just didn't think I had it in me.
Speaker 2: So it's one of those things they say as a professional athlete. When you start thinking about it, you're out. Yeah, because that means you're not all the way in.
Speaker 1: You've got to be all in, you know.
Speaker 2: And I told my dad I was going to retire. I needed his validation. He goes, Son, you finally smartened up. Yeah, because you got to be crazy to go out and with your sport as well.
Speaker 1: I mean you got to have those two sports. I mean you.
Speaker 2: Got to flirt with crazy. It's like a fighter pilot, you know, you got to be willing to die in your combat to go out and flirt with that line to have your best production. And the times you start thinking about like you know, I don't know if I that's when you got to get the fuck out, because that's how you get out.
Speaker 1: And I knew, I knew, you know that. I mean, you know how you got to prepare the off season for the next season, and I mean I I and I was, you know, committed. I you know, my training in the off season was so important to me. And I met somebody very special in my life that really helped me with that took me under his wing at the age of sixteen until I retired. Was my high school gym teacher, that I met at fourteen, that was a track and field team for the Canadian Olympic team. He had his own track and field team in Montreal that four of his runners went to your Olympics. But he was like this genius training guy that you know. I was always a really good hockey player, but he made me an athlete that allowed me to be even better hockey player. So to this day, he's one of my very best friends that I talk to every week and very lucky. And I knew that, you know, if I was going to play again, it's another three months of I mean, it's it's getting your teeth ticked. It's tough.
Speaker 2: People don't realize that when you're a pro athlete, it's not just seasonal like you have to, especially for a man who played as long as you did, you have to constantly re evolve yourself every off season, bring something new, work on your deficiencies, but also bring something new. You know, you have to build something into your game that you may not be comfortable with. That reinvention is like people don't I used to get a lot of anxiety after the years that we would win the Super Bowl because you knew how much harder it was going to be the next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you guys always had a target on your back because you were that good, right, and everybody's trying to bring it down, not only the teams you're playing against, but the media around the country.
Speaker 2: And the same could be said about the Boston Celtics because you guys are a cornerstone organization for you know, the NHL. Like, what did I say?
Speaker 1: You said Celtics. But yes, sorry, iconic Yeah, yeah, no, let's let's.
Speaker 2: Jump into a lot of them on that one.
Speaker 4: Right, there's just so many iconic franchises in Boston, there really is, but it really starts with the Big three, like ours were like the Slappies.
Speaker 1: On the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Now in the last twenty years, we've but like, when it comes down to it, the origin of the pro sports, he goes, you know, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics.
Speaker 1: Okay, Joe's you want do you want to know the real story? How how that that two decades started?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: So I win the Cup in Colorado, right, my agent calls me, says, the Maryor's office just called me asking if you'd be willing to bring the Cup back to Boston. They want to celebrate you at city Hall. I'm like, Steve Fryer was my agent. I said, Steve, I said, I can't do that. I don't want to embarrass the Bruins. He says, what about if the Bruins sign off on it. So Michael O'Connell's the general manager, Harry's sidons the president. So he calls Mike and says, you know, Ray's Ben asked if he could come back, and you know, they want to do something for him at city Hall. He says, yeah, we have no problems with that and all that. So then I come back with the cop city Hall. Ten thousand people are are there. It was like it was crazy. It was amazing, amazing day. But what happened after that? The Patriots win in New Orleans against the St. Louis the fastest Brady Shorn turf right, and I'm there, I'm right there in the zone where Vinitarry kicks her in the field goal. I'm there with my son veritec Yeah, VerTech exactly.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then from that point on, I mean, Pats win two out of three. The curse is broken with the Red Sox. The Celtics win the Bruins win, the Patriots keep winning, the Red Sox win again. It all started after the Cup came back to Boston. It's funny, let's go, let's go baby. Fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now you grew up in Quebec.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Montreal, Montreal. You've been to Bolinsky's. What's that little slami spot, It's it's in Montreal. I went to it once.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're talking smoke meat, yeah, this is this pastrami on steroids.
Speaker 2: No, it's like a It's like a blooney sandwich that they make and they game me. I went went to Montreal. It's like a blooney sandwich with cheese that they like gridle in and all they make is that and like homemade sodas.
Speaker 1: No, you go to Schwartz or Bad Sports maybe.
Speaker 2: And then I went to the high Line or what's another of this? There was another deli. I went, fuck, I love Montreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. Have you ever been to Quebec City? I haven't. I mean, Quebec City is one of my favorite cities in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta check it out.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: What what was a young Ray Bork like in Canada?
Speaker 1: Growing up?
Speaker 2: Were you just playing hockey? All fucking day.
Speaker 1: Hockey and baseball. I loved baseball as much as I liked hockey. I was very good at baseball growing up, growing up somewhere. Yeah, my dad always says I could have played for the Expos someday. Very proud dad. But I was a very good baseball player, played up until I came to Boston. I played junior ball in Montreal, growing up somewhere else, maybe baseball could have been an option, but I just, you know, a kid growing up in Montreal. I mean, we were so spoiled. When I got into the Hall of Fame, I thanked the Montreal Canadians for making a young kid dream about playing the NHL someday, because I mean, every kid's dreaming about playing the NHL and growing up in Quebec, just because we're spoiled. And back then they were winning Cups after Cups, and.
Speaker 2: You were a big Canadians and I was.
Speaker 1: A big Montreal Canadians fan. I'd missed school. I go to the parades with my buddies, and you know, and then it was just, you know, a path that just took me as a young kid, you know, just going through the ranks. And but as a very shy, quiet kid, you know, always always a leader on the ice and how I played and how I approached the game. I don't know how you felt about being on that field, but for me, being on the ice is where I felt the most comfort in my life. Just that's where I was meant to be, and I just kind of I was. I was always a really good, good player. I was never like this elite I can't miss kid as a As a youngster, I started separating myself at the age of thirteen from my peers. So I would play forward, I played defense. I play forward. I played defense every year. It seems like I played, you know, the different positions, and that I think allowed me to be creative as a player and allowed me to be offensive instincts as a defenseman as well as a good defender. But at the age of thirteen, I strictly played defense. And that's when I start separating myself from my buddies. And I was fifteen years old playing with guys that were sixteen to twenty years old driving their cars and the strip joints aren't bad, and uh, but I'm trigging fifteen years old, Like what am I doing now? Yeah? So I grew up pretty quick, you know, in a.
Speaker 2: Hockey life though, right, a lot of these young kids, like you're, they got to become pros because they would. You guys go ship each other to like other houses and live with different families.
Speaker 1: So I get drafted into the Quebec Major Junior League it's called the Queue when I'm fifteen, So now I'm a couple hours away from where I grew up. So you're living with a billet and now you're playing with guys that are sixteen to twenty years old, and then you play there for the next four years, and that's where the NHL are looking to draft all their players. Yeah, you know, back then it was mostly those leagues. You know, some US kids out of the universities, but mostly it was Canadian kids playing in those junior leagues that were drafted. And so then nineteen seventy nine there was another professional league called the WHA World Hockey League that merged with the NHL. So there's four teams from that league that ended up merging with the NHL in nineteen seventy nine. I was Winnipeg, Edmonton, Hartford, and Quebec. So that year they allowed the underage draft to come back, so I didn't have to play four years. At eighteen years old, I was drafted and I came to Boston when I was eighteen, so in the draft was not in June, it was in August because of all the stuff that they had to sort out because of the murleagues coming together, and I was eighth overall coming to Boston and there's no two biggest rivals, then take it, Oh my god. No. But I was so happy to go to a team that was established. I could have gone to Minnesota, Colorado, I could have gone to these teams where they sucked for like ten fifteen years. And I go to the Bruins where they just lost to Montreal in the semifinals in the seventh game and overtime. That was established and tradition and one of the original six teams. I couldn't have gone anywhere better. Five hour drive from Montreal. It was great. So a lot of my friends and family followed me to Boston. But it took us forever to be able to beat Montreal in the playoffs, Like it was forty five years before Boston was able to beat not that they played forty five years in a row, but it was that amount of time since they had one. Then we ended up beating Montreal in nineteen eighty seven, eighty eight and the uh in the playoffs that But I'd go back to Montreal every summer. You know, my wife and I are both from there. I've known my wife since I'm eleven years old and we hang around with the same group of friends. But every time i'd go back in the summer, I'd get all kinds of shit like, oh, you guys frea against Sock, you lost again, and this and that, and I'm like, so eighty seven was the quietest summer. Eighty eight was the quietest summer I've ever had going back to Montreal. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: Now when you were a kid, when you look at the American players, like, ah, these guys are secondhand, They're secondhand citizens in our sport. We got because it's kind of like me, if I saw white dB, I saw someone white trying to guard me, I was like, this fucking joke.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it could be any color hard.
Speaker 2: But I but it was even more.
Speaker 1: It was even more, you know, like you can't have.
Speaker 2: This guy, I mean what we do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you know, And then then I come to Boston. So I we used to have an exchange in Montreal, like every year we'd come to Ludlow or Chickapea that you know, is around the Springfield area, and we're like, oh, we're going to play in Boston. You know. It was the furthest thing from.
Speaker 2: Boston after our Springfield So.
Speaker 1: We'd play against them and we'd killed them. You know, we were like it was like twelve one or you know, but I don't think we're playing against the best teams. But when I got to Boston to play with the Bruins, then I got to know and find out about you know, Boston University, b C, Harvard, Northeastern, all these great college programs that were developing great hockey players. And you know, my first year is the year that the miracle on ice US beats you know, the Russians and go on and win beat the fence for the gold medal, and that that was like now it takes off, right, But all those great players I played for the US and then nineteen eighty and so I I know, I I knew that never disrespected the US player and and then it's just growing from that part. You know, what they what they did for hockey in nineteen eighty in the States was phenomenal. And then after that and and just years after that and more, and now you look at the US program and you know, they just won the world the World's Championship, they won the uh they won the gold medal in the World Juniors. The last two or three years, both my sons played for the US team, uh, you know, in the World Junior.
Speaker 2: So we do so we just we just take the Canadians. We my kids here.
Speaker 1: My boys are not Canadian. And they'll tell you I might be Canadian, but they are not. So when it comes to my kids, I mean, I'm walking around the Olympics. My my son Chris played for the Olympics and uh South Korea last time around, and I'm walking around with the US you know, and uh, hoodie, yeah, And it's like, guys, people are looking at them and they're like, what's going on with that. I'm like, Hey, it comes to my kids, man, I'm us. I'm dual, I'm dual. And when it comes to the kids and they're skating man for the US team, I'm turning to the US and uh, no one for your kids. And when they're not involved. I'm you know, strictly Canadian, but so it's it's kind of fun to play the fence like that. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: I got a question, who who's the Mount Rushmore of French Canadian hockey players.
Speaker 1: Well four for me, Mario Lemieux, Gui Le Fleur, Jean, Billival, and uh Rocket Rashard probably so we're going back, you know, and you probably don't know Billival or Rocket Rashar. If you're talking French Canadians, that would be Mount rush for and and if there's a fifth one, hell you can put fifteen up in the LB.
Speaker 2: You guys have such cool names.
Speaker 1: Patrick wa protrick wah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it Roy?
Speaker 1: Patrick Roy? Patrick Roy? You call him the king? You know what? You know what what is in French? No king, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I gotta work on that French. I've been yelled at it together. On what was Boston like as a sports town in seventy nine when you got here?
Speaker 1: Amazing? The Old Garden, Uh was just a phenomenal building.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The the upper deck was like almost right on top of the ice. So the I mean that national anthem sometimes you just you'd feel the vibration in the building. Yeah, that's how loud that building would be. And it was a small ice surface, so teams hated coming in there. What's that mean? What's ice surface smaller? Because uh, most ranks are two eighty five. That was like maybe the one ninety by eighty. There's different size ranks back then ranked now every rink now is the same size. But back then you had Chicago Stadium, Boston Garden, Buffalo Buffalo Auditorium was maybe a touch smaller as well. And you felt it, oh you felt it. You felt playing against the Bruins because it was quicker.
Speaker 2: Was it faster?
Speaker 1: Things happened so quick, but get you get killed, Like you had a lot less time to react to stuff. And we were a big, heavy, tough team. And yeah, teams weren't that excited about coming to the Garden and play us. But when you're talking about sports town, it's like, I mean, the passion of the fans supporting all their teams here is just second to none. You're so lucky. It's when I hear that, you know, oh, he's not meant to play in Boston? Are you frigging kidding me? Why would you not want to play somewhere where expectations are high and uh, and if the fans are passionate, and you know that if you just go out there, work hard, give an honest effort, and play hard, they don't have a problem with you. That's when you don't do that, you have a problem. And you know what, if they have a problem with you, I probably do too.
Speaker 2: That's the honest truth. Now, Like, how was it playing in the wake of like Bobby Orr Did you feel that legend? Because it was you know, being a guy that played on a second part of a dynasty. I mean we felt the Teddy Bruskis, the Kevin Falks, the fucking Vinitaries, the very like we and we heard about it all the time, the verite which for me as a young player, that motivated me to like, I wanted to make my own fuck like I'm sick of Bill Belichick talking about these fucking other other guys. Let's make our own ship. Like did you how is it playing in that way? I mean one of the greatest player.
Speaker 1: Of all time? Some people argue, but that it motivated me exactly. But that makes you because you know what's come before you, and it's important for you to move that ahead and and pass that on to the young guy, the young Julian that's coming up, that is watching you and how you do things, how you prepare, how you play, how you speak, how you act, and you you feel that you come into a team that has history and expectations. And and for me, when I came in, of course I knew Bobby Orr and you know, and I think Bobby your's number one all time in the history of hockey. He changed the game and nobody played it like he did.
Speaker 2: And uh no, what made him special?
Speaker 1: Everything? I mean he just you watch highlights above you Yeah, a little bit here and there. Well it seems like he was just he was playing like with with ten year olds, that's how good he was. But so for me, I was. I came in my first year, I scored seventeen goals, sixty five points. I won Rookie of the Year, First Team All Star. I had an amazing year. So when people would come up and I was, you know, offensive, I was gifted offensively, nothing like Bobby. But you know, the press were constantly coming up and comparing me to Bobby Orr. And I'm like, I always said, believe me, if I could be half the player that Bobby orr was I'm going to have an amazing career. And that's how I looked at it, how I diffused it because I knew, I'm not Bobby or I play my game. I'm not as explosive and dynamic as Bobby was. I mean, he was just so spectacular and so much fun to watch. I was more. My subtleties in my game were a lot different. Wasn't like you would I wouldn't raise you at a of your seat by watching me play. But if you watch the subtleties and how I played my game, how consistent I was, you'd really appreciate how I played the game. And I knew that, you know, I knew, I knew my game. I knew how I was. I had to play.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah it was okay, yeah, twenty two, but.
Speaker 1: It was Yeah, it's just I mean, for me playing in Boston, that's that's I'm so happy I ended up here because like we talked about the passion uh in the city and the suburbs and everything that comes living here, you know, I mean, I I knew it didn't take me very long that I'm like, well, once I had kids, I knew regardless this was going to be my home. Yeah, and fans were amazing. Now did you ever cross paths with Larry Bird? You guys are in great, great, great question because I've you know, I've got to know McHale, a few Reggie Lewis I've met, I've kind of run into, and a few other Celtics. Larry Bird we came in the same year in nineteen seventy nine. We both won Rookie of the Year. I did not meet Larry Bird till after he retired. Dale Arnold had us on we I for one hour together. Was the first time I met Larry Bird, and it was great, But it was so weird that we didn't cross paths before that. And now I winter in South Florida. I play Hideout once in a while. Every time i'm there, I see him. He's one of the founders of that place. So yeah, I was. And I got this great picture that day at Larry and I. They gave me a seventy seven Celtics jersey and they gave him a thirty three Bruins jersey with our names on it and all that. I looked like I'm twelve years old and I'm like thirty three. At them. I think thirty four years old, and he's got probably nine inches on me. Those boys are tall. They are trees, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Those basketball guys are And you don't understand it because when you watch them on TV, they're all the same height and shit, and then you see them in regular life, you're like, that's a fucking dinosaur. Holy schnikes.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: But that's it's understandable because you guys are in the grind of your careers.
Speaker 1: Like I would always see Bruins.
Speaker 2: I became close with a couple of Bruins through charity events or you know, I would see Celtics out here and there. But you know, you didn't always see certain guys because everyone's caught up in their career, especially you guys. You guys are playing at the same time.
Speaker 1: So michale I got to know, like he would invite me to his Christmas party. Don Warden was our fiscal therapist. I was really good friends with Kevin and from that relationship, like Kevin would come to our game and he'd stand right by our bench where the Celtics would enter and come out to the floor and off and on. So he'd watch a game right there, right by our bench and then he'd come into room after the game. So he grew up in Minnesota. He knew what hockey was all about, not like you from California that.
Speaker 4: I grew to like he went to the second half of I went, yeah, cal palace was palace.
Speaker 2: I was telling you the elephants or you know, we thought we were going to catch the second half. Being football people, we missed the first two periods and you know, me and my dad after the third are like, yeah, at least we got the fourth.
Speaker 1: There's no fucking fourth. Learned that short no overtime back then.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this quick break. Now, can you explain to us how'd you go from seven to seventy seven.
Speaker 1: So, out of anything I've ever done in Boston, uh, people will come up to me and talk to me about that, Like, out of anything I've ever done in hockey, that's number one thing that comes up most. And so I wore number twenty nine in training camp, had a great camp coming up from my first game. Number seven is in my stall and I'm like, I mean, I knew that Phil wore that number. So before I go out. Bobby Schmatz, a veteran comes over. He says, Ray, if you hear any hecklers, don't worry about it. Just play your game. I'm like, yeah, great, right, So I have an amazing first year and never hear nothing about it other than the press asking me every once in a while, what do you think about Phyllis Posito's number being retired. I'm like, he's a legend, amazing brooin, He's done great things here, won two Cups and everything I said. Of course I said, I was given that number. I'm like, it's it's not up to me. And so what happened is the Bruins traded Phyllis Posito, and once that happened, Phil and Harry really Phil was really pissed at the Bruins never want to go. The story goes, when they traded Phil Esposito that Don Cherry was the coach back then. Grapes, So Harry tells. Grapes says, go tell Phil that we just traded him to the Rangers. So Grapes, yeah, So Grapes get gets Bobby Orr and Wayne Cashman, Phil's two best friends to go tell him. Knocks on the door. They're staying at the Bay Shore in Vancouver. It's right on the water, beautiful place, Vancouver. So they walk in and feels like, you better not fucking be telling me I'm going to the Rangers because I'm gonna frig and jump out that window, says Bobby. Get in front of the window. So after that it was like so Harry was like pissed that Phil for being pissed at him, And I get the number and now I'm killing it and doing great, and so then they kind of patch things up up and they decide that they're going to retire the number December third, nineteen eighty seven. So I've worn it now since seventy nine, eight years. But nothing is talked about anything up until one o'clock that afternoon. Terry O'Reilly's our coach, calls me from Harry's office and he says, Ray, what do you think we should do with the jersey? That's how great the communication was back then, right, So like, my, let's have like Belichick system. Yeah, well yeah, dinosaurs are talking. I'm like, jeez, this is crazy, I said. So we come up with I'm going to go off for warm up with number seven. Come back in, go in the back room in the train's room, put number seventy seven under seven, go back out, call Phil up and then I'll take the seven off Reveal seventy seven. And it was. It was so messed up how it was, but it ended up being the best. Yeah, because no press, no fan. I drove in with Keith Crowder and Glenn Wesley that day. They said, Ray, what the hell you could have told us? Nobody knew other than my wife coaches management and ended up growing well. I see Phil's faces like, you know, I joke about this, but it's really true that it was the first time Phyllis Bozido was ever speechless in his life and his face dropped. I was like, wow, it was. It was the perfect thing. Nobody should award that number after Phil when he left. There's no doubt that that number was going to be retired, and it's up where it should be.
Speaker 2: You know, a stand up guys. It really is noticeable with the hockey guys. You guys, I feel like your guys respect to your teammates and to tradition into the guys before you. I mean, it's in your trophy, you know what I mean. Look, you see everyone who's put the blood, sweat and tears into getting this trophy. It's just really cool to see because you don't see that in all sports. I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 1: How about this trophy though his trophy is pretty bad ass, it's it's the best, and your name gets on it. It's there for over sixty years, sixty years, over sixty years before this gets so this when this is full, this comes off and they and they straight that out. They put it in the vault in the Hall of Fame. So this before this gets up here, it's over sixty years. So your name, so you're my my grandkids kids could go to the Hall of Fame someday and look up. You know, this was my grandfather. And uh so it's it's an amazing trophy. It is.
Speaker 2: It definitely has an aura, and I think, you know it's going to be a hot take, but this probably is the best trophy because the imperfections.
Speaker 1: And oh my god, if that thing could talk exactly, I don't know, I don't know. When you want me to talk about a few of the stories that I have, Yes, please have after yes, please? So we win Game six and Joe Joe Sakik, our captain, was an amazing player, but even a better person an amazing classy. So we win game six. All Joe wants to talk about, says Ray, how we're going to do the cup thing. I'm like, Joe, let's win the frigging game first. Let's win the game and we'll worry about the frigging cup after we win the game. But all he was worried about is like he wants right, he says, okay, right right next to me, right next to me. So he gets the cup from Betman and he doesn't even want to he just wants to grab it. And then Betman said, no, we've got to take a picture first. And then Bettman says, somebody who's been waiting for this for a long time. And then Joe grabs a cup and just pass it on to me. And then then it's just like what a relief? Oh yeah, oh yeah, he says, here right now. So the captain's a guy that lifts the cup every time. Like Joe took me out for lunch before I came back my second year, and he like, right, I don't feel you know, I don't feel comfortable wear in to see with you on my team. I'm like, Joe, forget it, buddy, I said, you are the leader of this team. You saw what I did last year. I don't need an A or a C or whatever I'm going to be talking about. I'm an ally and Joe, I'm here man, I'm going to do what I need to do, and class it comes twofold with him. But so, so we win the game, we go party at the chop House across from the Pepsi Center, and we're you know, we're there till two thirty. So, so all the people I talked about that I brought to Colorado I had. I had them in hotel rooms and some stayed at my house. I had this big fifteen passenger van with the cooler inside that was picking them up bringing to the game. Andy going to bring them home. Well, the cooler full of kol Aides. Oh yeah, good kool aid. So I'm about to leave after the party in Pure Lacroix, our general manager says, right, bring the cup home with you. I'm like, holy shit, all right, So now I got it in the van. Now forget it. Everybody's coming home with me. So now two thirty three o'clock in the morning, I turn on my streets, start beeping the horn. I put the cup on the sidewalk, the cool in the street. We're there till five thirty in the morning. It was amazing. And then you know, then you go to bed with it and if that thing could talk, man, if that thing I still with you that night too. No, I had nobody with me that night. But but then you know that the thing and the city hall, you know, doing the thing in city Hall. So then two days later I come back with the cup. Buddy you know, sends a private jet for me and my family and buckled up the cup again, and then we have the day at city Hall, come back and then it wasn't feel that was with me for that. I think guy's name was Steve back then he was with the cup and following me around. And then I ended up having in my hometown for like two hours, and then I had it for three days in August. It was like a it was like a wedding I had. I invited two hundred and fifty people to this ceremony that we're going to have with the cup. It was an amazing, amazing time.
Speaker 2: Wow, Jackie, let's jump into this game. We can sit here and talk all day.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, let's get into these Devils Real Quick fifty two sixteen ten and four, led by legend Larry Robinson.
Speaker 1: Scott Steve.
Speaker 2: This was a star studded.
Speaker 1: Team defending champs.
Speaker 5: I mean you got to talk bro to Or Scott Gomez, Elias Scott god Nieda Meyer just to name a few, all Hall of famers, Ken Dan It's crazy, man. This was a This was a wagon of a team allowed the second fewest goals in the.
Speaker 1: East with bro or State. Mcgilney. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, Guinny mcghini, mgilney, mogil ley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he he'll get there. He's got to get there, like a certain guys. I can't believe mcgilny's not in there. Keith Ku Chuck's not in there with Middleton's not in there.
Speaker 2: Chuck's the Ku Chuck, the dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: I heard he was a monster. How about his boys, Oh, they are awesome. That's I mean, that's that's a cool thing about being a pro athlete. Like I'm starting now seeing the guys, the little kids that are in the locker room are now like at Notre Dame and shit playing at Ohio State.
Speaker 1: That's great. That's the fun.
Speaker 2: That's I think that's the best thing about pro sports, seeing the like the boys kids.
Speaker 1: Like my son played seventeen years pro yeah, Chris and had his retired. They retarded as Jersey in Hershey where he went three calder Cops and they were playing fifty something in games. And then Ryan played eleven years mostly in the minors, but he played one NHL game Madison Square Garden for the Rangers against the Ottawa Senators. If you're going to play one game, that is where you want to play it, right, Oh yeah, but it's fun. But these kids grew up in the locker room, right and they see, they watch and they just that's what they want to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went to that LA skate so we did. We did a charity event after those. I can't skate, but you try, right.
Speaker 1: I try?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm all right. I'm telling you if you if I went out with you and you gave me three techniques, I can figure it, like if you just taught me how to do it, because I don't feel uncomfortable in the ice. I mean, I grew up roller blading, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But roller bladings skating is a lot shorter stride, Like I doubt I would work out. A lot of my workouts, i'd do rollerblading around the track or some long distance stuff. Then the first time I was on skate, i'd be tripping almost I'd be falling forward because it's such a shortest stride because roller blading you got to really take it out. Yeah, and it's like longer. Then you got on the ice. It's like, oh my god, so awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we did that skate. And I only bring that up because all the Kings and there's a bunch of former kings and their kids were there and these like kids like they couldn't walk, but then they got on the skates and they're fucking flying around me doing laps and ship little girls doing finger skating.
Speaker 1: This I was, it was amazing skate.
Speaker 2: You remember, remember that these kids were skating. He had little little hockey haircut. Molly, there's a little badass kids.
Speaker 1: We all had mullets. But my my grandson's three and a half is going to be four, and got to get him on right he's he's already flying like I'll show you a video. It's like it's crazy. I was. I said something like two days ago. I was like, wow, amazing, how he improved and uh then I got a thirteen year old grandson that plays a really nice level. He plays really good hockey. So yeah, yeah, let's jump in.
Speaker 2: So what do you think? What did you think about this Devil's team? You first about this era? What was this Devil's team era? What was your thoughts about the team?
Speaker 1: Well, this group, I think they won two Cups, if not three, and they were you know, they were on a verge of winning another one against us, and that's how good. They were. Just strong in all areas. You know, they could score. They had great defense, they were tough, skilled, and they had a great goaltender, so they were they were not easy to solve, and they they really played a nice system that they're really hard to penetrate and to get some score goals. They were always among the best defensive teams in the league by how structured they were, so it was quite a challenge.
Speaker 2: Let's do a word association with certain guys. You give me one word, I'll see a name, border a Wall Wall Stevens.
Speaker 1: Keep your head up. That niede Meyer so skilled and fast. Robinson my idol, your idol. I grew up watching Larry Robinson's Search of Art and Guilla Point in Montreal. All those years, those three guys were my idols. That's why I looked up to and playing against. Larry was coaching then, so shaking his hand and line the words he had for me were amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah what did he say?
Speaker 1: He was just so happy that I finally got to experience this, as as pissed as I am right now that we didn't win. If there's one guy that I wish could win, this is you. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, those are that's an ultimate respect.
Speaker 1: He's on there, I think ten times. Yeah, he had his share, But but I played, you know, I played with Larry and Canada Cups and eighty one and eighty one for just amazing player and better person like so so funny, such a good team leader. Yeah, kept things loose.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's let's jump into the Avalanche Jackie.
Speaker 5: The number one seed in the West, led by Captain Joe Sakic. This was Ray's first little season with the Avs coming off. Of course, we alluded to a little bit earlier that Western Conference Finals loss Game seven to Dallas the year prior. We got to talk about some of these these ballers on this team. Sakkik Forstburg wah.
Speaker 1: Ray, I mean just the Hall of famers, to name a few, Rob Blake, Chris Drewery, Tong gay a lot, Hey do hey do?
Speaker 2: Now I want to go to the year before when you got traded. How was that experience?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Was that a mutual I how?
Speaker 1: You asked? Yeah, so, like I was talking earlier, how the struggles had been you know, for quite a while, and it was the hardest, hardest thing I ever had to do in terms of my hockey career. As asked to leave Boston. Call Harry Sindon. He was at the general manager's meetings in Florida, and I called him and I said, Harry, I said, you know, I've decided that I've got to go somewhere to compete, to put myself in a different environment, to see if I, you know, first of all, if I still got it, and to try to win again, or to compete to win, to get somewhere, to have hope that a team, you know, we could get somewhere. So I told him I wanted to go to Philadelphia. I didn't want to go in a Western conference. I was at the time we were building our big house here in Boston, and I wanted to be able to commute come back when the schedule allowed me to, and I thought Philadelphia, looking at the Eastern Conference, had the best opportunity. And I made that very clear to Harry and he was like, Okay, I hear you. And I knew Reggie Lemlin was a goodie for the Bruins. That is one of my best friends. That he was goalie coach for the Flyers, So I knew everything that was going on on their side, and I too, I thought I knew what was going on on my side, and it just happened that there was more teams involved at the end. And I, uh, I knew this because I'm having dinner one night with my agent and my wife and Steve Casper and his wife, and Renee Angelil calls me Celein Dion's husband back in the day. Yeah, don't know if you remember how we spoke. Do you remember me? We played golf together in Montreal and I'm like, yeah, yeah, Rene is yeah, I remember because him and Pierre Lacroid, a general manager for the Avs, were best friends. They grew up together. They talked every day, and he says, Pierre does not know I'm calling you. He says, I hear you might get traded. Corolado would be an amazing place, and so I'm like, yeah, right, Pierre doesn't know you're calling me, right, you talk every day. So anyways, I knew Colorado was involved. Dave Alltt played for Saint Louis back then that had played with the Bruins. He called me and says, Saint Louis would like to know if you come to Saint Louis. I'm like, that's not where I want to go. I knew New Jersey was involved, Detroit was involved, so I knew there was other teams involved. So we're playing a Flyers some after Saturday afternoon game. The last game I played with the Bruins, and I Reggie Lemblin in the morning says, Ray, it's a done deal. You're gonna you'll becoming a Philly. So I'm like great. So the puck ends. I'm on the ice the end the end of the game, and the puck's just rolling right for me and the buzzard goes off. So I pick up the puck and I'm like, okay, so I got the park for the last game I played with the Bruins and all that stuff. So then, Uh, after the game, I'm looking for Harry Sinda and I think it's a done deal. I can't reach Harry ended up calling me later that night says, sit tight, there's other teams in ball. I said, you know where I want to go. He says, yeah, but we'll see. He says, don't come to the rink Sunday if it's not done by tomorrow. If it's not done by the next day, don't come. We're playing Ottawa on the Monday. He says, stay away from the rink till it's done. So he calls me. I get a call later that night at the end of the the Senators game telling me that I'm going to Colorado but and warm up that that night Dave Dave Anderchuk was pulled off the ice and warm up and he calls me. He says, Ray, they just pulled me off the ice. I'm probably going with you. Where are we going? I said, I have no clue, Dave, I haven't heard nothing yet. So we both end up going to Colorado together. So it was but it was an amazing I never played with so many French guys in my life, and a hope, because you know Quebec Nordeks or those that's team in ninety six that moved to Denver, Yeah, to become the Avalanche, and they won the Cup in ninety six the first year they were there. They were ready to pop. When they moved from Quebec, they were frigging ready to roll, and so they won the Cup there. Then they competed. They got to the Semis pretty much every year, but could never really get over the hump until two thousand and one. So that's how the deal went down. So you get traded.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the interview, you go, you know, this is the best team I ever played for. How is that dynamic going when you're a fucking legend. Everyone knows you as mister Bruin, you're the Boston Bruins. Okay, you're the captain of the Boston Bruins. How was it going in and re calibrating yourself to a new locker room, Because that's tough. I don't know if I could do that. I didn't leave like after like ten years because I didn't want to go and learn new people. I didn't want to learn new systems. Like that's a very big thing, especially when you've been in somewhere for twenty plus years. You know what you're doing, you know what I mean. That's like being a rookie again in a little bit of a facet, which is completely different because you're a bored and you know, but you're learning guys for the first time in an uncomfortable environment that you've never been in. How was that dynamic?
Speaker 1: Walking into that room? First of all was really weird.
Speaker 2: I are you like Banks when you joined Mighty Ducks from Banks?
Speaker 1: I was asked to play in that movie just to come. You know. They had a cameo of Yeah, I think Luke Luke Rubbie Tie and I don't know who the other guy was, but there's two guys. And I was asking. I'm like, I'm not flying a LA feed so but I got to Calgary. So Dave and I took the plane at seven am on the Tuesday morning. We're playing in Calgary that night, so they sent a playing for us. It couldn't have been the smallest jet that you've ever had. We have to stop in Kansas City to refuel, and we're both and like he's six' four And i'm Like i'm Six but we're like this in a, plane all frigging bubble up with our, equipment our, sticks our, clothes and it's like it was so. Uncomfortable we get To calgary around two pm their, time and then we have a little press, conference a quick bite to. EAT i try to sleep for maybe an hour or. WHATEVER i can't. Sleep SO i met at the rink at four. O'clock you, KNOW i first got the, RINK i walk in and right, there it's seventy seven in An, Avalanche. Jersey it was so frigging. Weird, man it was. Weird and then as the guys come, IN i greeted everybody at the door and introduced. Myself and but they you, know they got me for my, play but they also got, ME i think more for leadership and WHAT i brought in other areas as, well because talent they, had they needed maybe another voice in there as. Well so but WHEN i talk About, TOWN i mean this. Team the first first, game first Game i'm, Playing i'm behind the net And i'm, like, okay SO i come. Out Miilan haydu comes across in our. ZONE i frigging rip a pass right on his. Tape now he gets it and all in one motion he rips it To Joe sackett going up the middle on a breakaway. Scores i'm, like, jeez it's. FUN i think this is going to be. Fine but THEN i get To. Colorado we go so we play In, calgary Playing, edmonton and then we go back To, colorado AND i got like three frigging suitcases and luggage and all that. Stuff And i'm staying at The Marriotte residence In i'm on the third, floor no, elevator So i'm walking three flights of. STAIRS i THOUGHT i was going to. DIE i mean the, elevation And i'm, Like i'm, like holy, shit this is going to be. Different but you train, there you play, there you practice, there and what an advantage to be able to play, there and then you go To Sea level and play some of these.
Speaker 2: Games it's about a, mile, right they'd always have those little altitude. METERS i hated going To. Denver yeah it's not JUST i didn't feel those. ALTITUDE i just hated Fucking.
Speaker 1: Denver. Oh you could never win. There you can never win there except for that one. Game SO i, UH i go to A patriots. Game i'm in a box with the whole at every fucking. GAME i go to the game with my two boys that are Huge patriots, fan, right So chris is uh fifteen And ryan's ten and uh And patriots killed them that game here this is two thousand and, one yes, before so they kill. Them and every Time patriots, score my kids are going nuts And i'm Like, jesus boys now. Crazy but, hey, sorry like they're you, know fifteen.
Speaker 2: Kids let's do word association with The avalanche and will jump into the. Game let's do some dude talk. One i'll give you a, name you give me one. Word Joe Sackett Heart, Trophy Heart, Trophy Most Valuable player that, Year Heart. Trophy, Amazing patrick the best is he really as crazy as he?
Speaker 1: Seems Like, patrick like, you you would love this BECAUSE i just tell people be careful what you, ask because he'll answer sometimes like he puts his balls on a, line like he'll he'll say shit that but he needs. It that's how he, rolls, Right like he challenges himself by some of the stuff he says because He, okay NOW i got to frigging back it up, right and he, does and that is that's not done by.
Speaker 2: MANY i was never that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: EITHER I i wouldn't EVEN i, MEAN i.
Speaker 2: Think you could during, game BUT i would never before game, ever like give fuel to, fire because you never you know how there's always there's so many variables that take place in a team, Sports LIKE.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even fregain yap much Because i'm, LIKE i know it's going to come against. Me like there's this one kid that come to me every TIME i play, him and he'd be right in my, face, Pork you're so fucking. Overrated i'm, like holy, Shit i'm, like what does that make? You who are?
Speaker 2: YOU i was just gonna say it was a.
Speaker 1: Friend of the.
Speaker 2: Show what About Peter forsburg A?
Speaker 1: Viking, Man oh my god he. Was he was so stubborn Like peter would like would try to and he could sometimes like beat three guys and it's, like AND i, Go, PETE i, said, move move the. PUCK i Promise i'll give it right. Back you don't have to take that physical get hit or hit. Guys this is not all. RACES i love. IT i love. IT i got to do. This i'm, like, okay but he would just, man what a what a Most but you could get under his skin, though because If you're, LIKE i remember playing against him and you BECAUSE i knew how he, played and then you're you're like right in his face all the, time and he he'd, Go cuckoo's what a? Player what a?
Speaker 2: Player psychological battles you guys, Have what About Rob?
Speaker 1: Blake a monster monster defense the defender and uh a great offensive. Talent. Rob you know his physicality if he when he had you lined? Up, MAN i played in The olympics and he was my partner in The. Olympics And i'm stepping up on somebody in The. Olympics so we're defense defense. Partner, okay so we're playing together like he's on the right, Side i'm on the west. Side we're DEFENSE u, twosome you, know so there's TWO d three forwards and a. Goalie but so he was my partner And i'm stepping up on a forward coming to, me And I'm I'M i got my stick out like. This all of a, SUDDEN i see, him he's coming and he's got his ass is coming. RIGHT i get my arm out of. There my arm would have snapped and like this IF i don't see him last. Second but he, would Like Scott stevens would hit guys in the middle of the. Ice rob could do, that and he had a bomb for a shot and a classy, guy such a good. Teammate. Wow what About Chris. Drry Chris drury a gamer, game always always scoring big. Goals when when it was imporn score, goal he was a guy scoring it like always at the perfect. Time in The League World Series, Champion.
Speaker 2: Little League World Series champion out of what. City, yes we'll be right back after this quick, Break all, Right, jackie let's build this game. Up lead up to this, game we talked about it.
Speaker 5: Earlier The avs go out and take game six four nothing In, jersey head back To colorado for the third, Finals game seven in thirty years crazy and we got history on the line here, too going up Against rays Guy Larry, robinson who was eight to no In Stanley cup finals before.
Speaker 2: This so pretty.
Speaker 5: Crazy and we're Without, forsburg he was. Out all of The Western conference finals were big.
Speaker 1: Loss that that was that. Story so we PLAY la in the second round and we. Win we win seven and seven games And peter plays the. Game we all leave after the game And peter goes out for dinner and all of a sudden enugh feeling. Well he goes to the, hospital he has emergency emergency surgery middle of the, night and we have a meeting the next. Day we don't practice because we're playing the following day to start the, final And Bob, hartley our, coach comes, in tells us That peter had an emergency. Surgery he's done for the. Playoffs AND i was, like, wow, really maybe our best. Player so that's that's the stuff that you, know you go, through and injuries and and just the ups and downs and the. Emotions you, know you guys are one one game and done for. Us you got to win four games and sometimes it's go. Sevens the mood swings and the highs and the lows that you try to stay even keel and to keep that. Belief it is so hard to maintain and to and now you've got twenty guys that you got to kind of work with to kind of keep them up and or not too. High hey, guys that's. One that's. One we need three, more yeah, Right or hey, guys we're down to, nothing but we're going back. Home we're going back. Home we'll be, Okay we're, Good we're. Good it's it's crazy.
Speaker 2: The thing that we always pool from, hockey basketball eighty plus one hundred and sixty two with, baseball the. Games we always talk about your guys' competitive stamina because you have to the focus. Levels like we break our game down into, quarters you guys break your, games your your series down into. Games you got to have that competitive, stamina that short, memory whether good or. Bad AND i remember, vividly you, Know belichick would always reference. Hockey you, know look at you, know you, guys they gotta do it for This you guys only have to do it for one Fucking, Saturday so you know WHAT i.
Speaker 1: Mean it's, different but it's the.
Speaker 2: Same but that competitive, stamina like that's hard to like go in like a six game.
Speaker 1: Slump BUT i think ALL i think all good really successful players they have they have short, memories short. Memory for, me WHEN i look back on my, CAREER i was looking for, perfection knowing That i'm never going to reach. It but in the constructive, WAY i played with guys that are looking for perfection and if they don't have, it they're freaking. Screwed you lose them for a, period you look for a, game you lose them for a, week you, know for. ME i was looking for perfection every single, day let it be practiced, games knowing That i'm never going to reach. It but it made me the BEST i could be every single. Day AND i brought that AND i brought, that and WHEN i look back on my, career that's WHY i was so, consistent BECAUSE i never sat on. Nothing you, know IF i have an amazing, game it's like they're in your, okay So i'll, right you're freaking amazing tonight And i'm, like, yeah, HEY i did my, job, man BUT i don't care because Tomorrow i'm trying to be. Better, YEAH i got to be better. Tomorrow AND i never really sat on nothing That i've. ACCOMPLISHED i, Said i'm going to look back when it's all over. With that's When i'm going to look back and kind of analyze AND i, go holy, SHIT i did. That, Yeah BUT i know WHY i did, it because that's HOW i approach. It my glass was always half, full never half. Empty we're going to find a, solution we're going to get. Better that's HOW i approach everything as a later a, Captain that's HOW i approach, things always in a constructive. Way if it's, CRITICISM i was always part of it because we're a, team and it's, like, hey, guys you KNOW i might be talking to you right, now But i'm part of this AND i got to be. Better we got to be. Better and NOW i approach my leadership skills and all that. Stuff that's HOW i approach everything in.
Speaker 2: Life and that's why you're the fucking. Captain, well that's Like, titanic it got be. Done what makes we could kind of?
Speaker 1: Hang this is kind of like The. Titanic you, KNOW i could stand right behind. You we.
Speaker 2: Got a lot Of titanic and then the elevator reminds you of The, titanic you, know the. Sliders that's why WHEN i first got, this BUT i was, like, man That's titanic, elevator holy ship going all over the. Place can you break down the playoff beard for? Us where did this come?
Speaker 1: From that? Started BECAUSE i stole it way? Back, yeah it was it was something that you, know maybe The islanders might have started that When so The islanders won their First cup and seventy nine to. Eighty they beat us in the second, round like we finished. First, overall The islanders were coming as a. Team first GAME i remember at the end of the first, period we had a big brawl that probably lasted a half. Hour AND i think that right then and there kind of made them who they. Became they went on to win four Straight Stanley Cups wow that. Year AND i think that's that's when The islanders kind of started this beard. Thing you, know we're not going to shave and so then it just like mullets and. Everything you, know it's it's a hockey.
Speaker 2: Thing it became a hockey. Thing jackie break down the.
Speaker 5: Game The avs never trailed in this one up one, nothing Two tangway, goals got up to, nothing Then saki had another, one got up three. Nothing jersey finally got on the board the end of the second up three to one heading into the, Third, uh survive a bevy of power play, shots win this thing three to.
Speaker 2: One so when did you feel it was? Coming are? You because you're the cap AND i just heard how you were. Boys, hey, boys we still got we got a period.
Speaker 1: Here. Boys that was you know what Like i'm sure you've worked, With like we Had Fred, neff that was our.
Speaker 2: Our mental, coach, psychologists sports, psychologists, right so we would have classes when when Terror riley.
Speaker 1: Coach she was really big on, this so we would actually have class that we would work, on you, know staying in the, allment staying present about the process and breaking down all those things and working on visualization and and all those. Things and you, know we had a pretty veteran, team and you, know the older guys were, like what the fuck is what shit?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: This is? This come? ON i want to do? This and BUT i bought into. IT i really enjoyed. IT i liked. It and staying in the moment is such a hard, thing staying present and about the process and staying right here and not thinking about the outcome or the past. Whatever it's, like it is so. Hard and that game was the biggest tests of staying in the. Moment we're up three nothing And i'm, like holy, Shit i'm gonna win the Frigging. Cup Then i'm, like, ray come, back come, back shut the hell, up play the, game stay right. Here what a test that. Was and staying in the, moment and then the last two shifts is trying to stay. ALIVE i always THOUGHT i was gonna faint and and AND i had a hard time. Breathing i'm, Like, Jesus i'm this is going to. Happen and they got my big face and the jumbo tron and people are going frigging. Nuts last, Minute i'm trying to get. Off the guys are pushing me back on the. Ice they wanted to be on the ice for the last second of the. Game, man it was it was. Crazy it was it was. Nuts what a.
Speaker 2: Feeling and when it hit, zero it's the first thing you think, about going.
Speaker 1: To see my, Goalie Patrick. Waugh you, know good goalies make good. Coaches great goalies made great, coaches And patrick made a lot of great coaches out, there and you can't win without. It so he was, amazing AND i was, like we were like. This we had so much fun playing. Together i'd pick him up for all home. Games i'd pick him up to go to the. Airport we sat together in the. Planes we go for dinner every every time on the, road so really. Close and we always joked about playing together someday When i'd go back To montreal in the summers And patrick was playing For, MONTREAL i was playing for The, bruins and we were members at the same, club and we would always, say, yeah you, know we got to come To montreal and said, no you got to come plain In boston and we end up In colorado together playing a year and a. Half was, amazing.
Speaker 2: Amazing so relationships you get in, sport, yeah you probably know that guy. Forever and then it comes full. Circle you guys go different paths and then it leads you. Back that's, so.
Speaker 1: LIKE i get a. Call So Sean paudine was on this, team one of my favorite. Teammates Every june, ninth at the exact time we win The. Cup, hey mister bab how are happy?
Speaker 2: Anniversary hell, yeah you guys are always.
Speaker 1: So then we got a text train going around with a few of the. Guys it's it's because you win, together you walk. Together, right there's, nothing it's nothing like. It, forever, yeah.
Speaker 2: Forever and Then, jackie let's let's see the aftermath of this.
Speaker 5: Game The avalanche become the first team since the nineteen seventy One Montreal canadians to rally from a three to two deaf sit in the finals win this. Thing ray retires and rides off into the. Sunset his number seventy seven is retired by Both colorado And, boston and he'd be selected to The Hockey hall Of fame two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: All time leader in points assistant goes by a defenseman. Too, yeah those are pretty good. Numbers a pretty good. Career is that? Good not too more than half Of? Bobby you are just a Little french. Guy, hey, hey, hey, Hey bobby played ten, years ten, years and his last year might have been on one. Leg bobby plays twenty two. Years forget about.
Speaker 2: It let's name the. Game these are some names we came up. With if you have a specific name that you come up, with we'll use. That after twenty two. Years, Game this one's For. Ray Game mission, Accomplished game.
Speaker 6: Avs in.
Speaker 1: Seven Game mission. ACCOMPLISHED i HAD t shirts made up and. Hats it Was mission SIXTEEN.
Speaker 2: W mission SIXTEEN w.
Speaker 1: And the and the exit for the h where we played The. Meadowlands the exit was SIXTEEN. W i love. That that's. It we're Going mission SIXTEEN. W. Game that's.
Speaker 2: Awesome that's what it's. Called score the. Game is this the greatest game of all? Time let score? Its ray steaks zero to ten of this game Seven Stanley, Cup oh ten Ten Big Time do Or? Die yeah ten yeah ten for? Me nine point six star power star power on your, team who was in the, building where there are celebrities in the, building, coaches hall of, famers a lot of Good.
Speaker 1: IF i go star power by who's on the, Ice i'd go ten, again a lot of hall of. Famers we'll go To i'll go.
Speaker 2: NINE i like.
Speaker 1: IT i went eight, NINE i went nine to.
Speaker 2: One the gameplay of the game Seven finals game three.
Speaker 1: To, one three to. One but after a long, series.
Speaker 2: The gameplay though for, you this is for, You so it's ten, Ten i'm gonna go three.
Speaker 1: One battle guys were sitting in this freaking. CHUIR i think it's.
Speaker 7: Easy this is.
Speaker 1: We.
Speaker 4: Had we Had Mark cuban come on and he gave everything. Ten it's like a market. Owner but you know, what for, you.
Speaker 1: Hey well earned.
Speaker 2: Gameplay for, me he's gotta go seven to.
Speaker 1: One had an eight. ONE i also had an eight.
Speaker 2: One the name of the game the mission sixteen w pretty.
Speaker 1: Strong eleven, yes that might break the. ALGORITHM i love.
Speaker 2: IT i gotta go with the nine yes for the.
Speaker 1: CURVE i had a nine point zero as. WELL i had nine point.
Speaker 2: Two we're just gonna put, us it's gonna.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be the highest.
Speaker 4: Game nine point, two three that puts us our new, fourth just behind The Malcolm butler Game Super bowl forty nine see alfas The, patriots and just ahead Of miracle On ice in nineteen eighty we did With Jim craig.
Speaker 2: Holy Strong Worthy, wow, right, man miracles should be, higher not just this, game just in.
Speaker 6: General.
Speaker 2: Well ray even said the miracle brought it to the. Stage, basically he said, that he, said that match right there grew with the. GAME i, mean big, Time, ray do we miss anything about this?
Speaker 1: Game. No WHEN i WHEN i watch the replay of the game and all that, stuff and the ceremony of the cup and all that, stuff it's so cool to see my two kids and the background that, is and my ten year old is frigging crying like a. Baby, Yeah dress that's that's you know for. ME i that that just kind of wraps everything.
Speaker 2: Up you, know everyone go out there and check out The Borg Family. Foundation ray does a lot of great things for the. Community he's got The Captain's ball to fight Als september twenty third at A Gainness. Arena tickets at The Borket gala dot com check them. Out you, know we met many, times many, times but the first Time we met in two thousand and nine at a what was that you said in The cape at that? EVENT i really didn't KNOW i, like LIKE i was A CALIFORNIA. KI i didn't really know Who Ray boar, was you know WHAT i? Mean BEING i didn't know hockey and getting to know you more over this last hour and a. HALF i, MEAN i would have loved to get to play with. You you just seem like a. Captain every answer that you've had you can tell your stand up. Dude you love your, family you love, hockey and you did it the right. Way and it's an absolute honor to have you here with The Stanley. Cup we thought it'd only be.
Speaker 1: Suitable it's. Amazing WHEN i heard, THAT i was, Like, jesus you are connected.
Speaker 2: Man, No, no we got to do our.
Speaker 4: Homework The Stanley Cup final Starts june fourth only Versus Panthers Conraic Danilers Panthers.
Speaker 1: Uick quick question for. You have you talked With brad Marsha on at?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 1: YEAH i communicate With brad. QUITE i MEAN i text them after they, won but you, know during the trade stuff and all that. Stuff of, course this Season brad might reach out OR i. Whenever you, KNOW i have, great great relationships with these, guys you, Know, Burgee, Sharrah, brad all the captains and the coaches of The. Bruins and then with our, fundation they've been so supportive and some of them show up on my golf tournament that Is august, eighteenth and then a lot of them they've supported Our captain's, Ball like there's at least you, know eight to twelve of them that come. Up you, KNOW i was a great relationship With, Butch, Cassidy bruce and Then. Monty you, know they were, great and we try to have it just before camp, starts BUT i know everybody's, here SO i always kind of hope that we get a good. Turnout that makes it so special for people that attend the ball and they've been so generous and uh with their time and so. Through And i'm And i'm a huge. Fan you, KNOW i get to the garden pretty much WHEN i have to now to watch. Games BUT i WATCH i watch as many games AS i can if i'm you, know And i'd rather be in my chair at home watching it AND i get to watch a game because you, know when we're out watching games in a luxury box or whatever it. Is you don't you don't see? It oh ship they. Scored, okay let's see the replay ON. Tv but you, know And I'm i'm a big, fan AND i really admire these, guys and and we've had such a great. Run you know those two decades we talked about where you, know The, patriots The Red, sox The, celtics The, bruins they were just you, know title, town, right it. Was it was. Crazy so get to know them and having a relationship and ships with, them and you, know sending them a little text when they're doing something, great knowing that they could always reach out if they have a question or they need anything from. Me it's it's it's been.
Speaker 2: Fun, no this has been extremely. Fun it's been absolute. Pleasure and thank you so much for coming and doing the. Show thanks for having. Me it's time for The Chill, zone brought to you by cores Like, it Cors light delivered straight to your. Door Vis it corslight dot, com slash g W n and celebrate. Responsibly a really good. Show don't, worry we're getting back to. It but what's the chillest thing you guys done?
Speaker 1: LATELY i got POISON iv back. Home. Chill that's not.
Speaker 2: Chill BUT i keep it chill by putting, kalumin by putting m old.
Speaker 1: Cores light on, there and you're good to.
Speaker 3: Go.
Speaker 2: BABY i think cold. COMPRESS i think it. WOULD i think it. Would East coast poison ivy. Guy, huh big big poison o guy over on The west. Coast if it's, three let it. Be if It's harriet's a, berry it's one of those kind of. Days i've never Heard harriet's a berry, well usually because they kind of look similar as the berries when they're all bushed.
Speaker 1: Up it, was what have you been doing this?
Speaker 2: PRETTY i mean GOLFING a little bit nice and. Golfing it's a soccer, game a little, hot a soccer. Game love that killed, It love that, great great, effort.
Speaker 1: Effort so.
Speaker 2: CHILL i you, KNOW i was so chilled out after watching.
Speaker 1: That doesn't get much chiller in. That what's the chillest thing you've been?
Speaker 5: There, Man i've just been grinding baby, up hanging In. Boston, yeah we were In boston's pretty darn.
Speaker 1: Chill that's. Chill june made was really.
Speaker 2: Muggy it wasn't that Mug it was pretty muggy No. Saturday but it's still got cold at.
Speaker 1: Night it.
Speaker 2: Did, Yeah like that's when you know it's not hot yet still a little pull over at. You when you got to throw the ac on at, night that's when it starts getting.
Speaker 1: Hot let's get back to the. Show we have a big.
Speaker 2: Show we don't even that was thanks to our favorite beer cores l like, It Coors light delivered straight to your. Door Visit coorslight dot, com slash gwn and celebrate. Responsibly not only do we have The Stanley cup with, us we got the keeper of The, Cup Phil pritchard here in the. Studio welcome to The. Nutthouse though this is this is, AWESOME i feel way over. DRESSED i, mean you have an image to upkeep with this bad. Boy anytime you go around it's like you're like secret. SERVICE i feel like. THAT i told the audience. Already there's like six cars outside just waiting waiting for something to. Happen if anyone wants to come around this freaking. Lord it is pretty. Nice though it's not like it's. Unbelievable it's it's really cool because OF i think because of the imperfections of. It when you see the. Imperfections that shows me is that this thing's been around for a very long. Time and having you, know all the names of every player that's got to hold this cup, on there's just a lot of. Tradition this. Is this is a pretty damn cool trophy and we've seen them.
Speaker 7: All, yeah it's amazing what started off in the eighteen nineties as that little, bowl what it's become now and how hockey has grown and you see where the countries that it's played in and the names on.
Speaker 1: IT i, mean if it could, talk it have its own.
Speaker 2: Podcast it would definitely have its own if it could. Talk what would be a fun Story it would say that you've been.
Speaker 7: AROUND i think one thing that's really cool that not everyone. Realizes nowhere on there does.
Speaker 6: It Say Stanley.
Speaker 7: Cup The Dominion Hockey Challenge bowl is the real, name But Stanley cup sounds way.
Speaker 2: Cooler, yeah so this Is Dominion. Bowl, yeah we've been.
Speaker 6: You've been blessed with The Dominion.
Speaker 2: Ball, now what's a question you wish no one had ever ask you about the?
Speaker 1: Cup is this the real? One everywhere we?
Speaker 6: Go the first question is is this the real?
Speaker 7: One because people can't believe that it's here or whatever that always gets, asked is this the real?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 2: Yeah can you take us through the origins of how you became the keeper of The?
Speaker 1: Cup you know?
Speaker 7: WHAT i growing up In. CANADA i played, hockey just.
Speaker 1: Like all my.
Speaker 7: Buddies everyone did road, hockey street, hockey ice, hockey. Whatever we all wanted to play in The National Hockey league and lift The Stanley. CUP i THINK i was either smart enough or dumb enough to realize that WHEN i was fifteen THAT i wasn't going to be playing pro.
Speaker 6: Hockey my face got in the way of the.
Speaker 7: Puck whatever, HAPPENED i had to do something, else and so WHEN i went to. COLLEGE i had always grown up collecting hockey, stuff sports, stuff football.
Speaker 6: EVERYTHING i was a big sports.
Speaker 7: Fanatic SO i took a sports administration course in college and it ended up being a co op internship thing where you volunteer you don't get. Paid mine was with The Ontario Hockey, league and for whatever, HAPPENED i must have done a good job because my boss was there thought guy's, okay let's see how we can help. Him SO i went on to The Canadian Hockey league and THEN i got a call to go to The Hockey hall Of.
Speaker 1: Fame was that was eighty, Eight that was a long time.
Speaker 7: Ago, YEAH i went to The Hockey hall Of, fame BUT i didn't start off as traveling with a. Cup that, took believe it or, not four days my first week on the. Job someone needed the cup up In, Newmarket, ontario which is a small. Town conor McDavid's from, There Sam bennett's up. There there's a bunch of players from up. There it had to go up to a minor hockey. Tournament And i'm the new guy in the. Block and our boss, said does anyone want to take The Stanley cup up On friday night To, Newmarket? Ontario AND i look around the office and nobody says. Anything And i'm thinking to, MYSELF i don't know if you put your hand up in, this BUT i put my hand. Up SO i put my hand up and all, Right, phil do you want to go up? THERE i, said that'd be. Great what kind of car you? Got i'm, Thinking, okay what kind of car DO i? GOT i tell him WHAT i?
Speaker 6: Got will it fit in the back of the.
Speaker 1: Car we'll make.
Speaker 7: It SO i drove. Up we did this minor hockey. Event and WHEN i came in On monday, morning my boss, SAID i heard it went well On. Friday, YEAH i want to go To dallas this. Weekend and it just kind of went from. THERE i don't want to SAY i applied FOR i didn't really apply for a. JOB i put my hand. Up so WHAT i tell people everywhere, is, hey you're never in the wrong spot at the Wrong you never know what's going to, happen is you KNOW i.
Speaker 2: WAS i was expecting like a conclave or like there was a bunch of coming out of. SHIP i thought there was going to be like a selection of cardinals type hockey people that make a.
Speaker 1: VOTE i guess you just got to say put your hand. Up that was.
Speaker 7: It but you know, WHAT i believe it or. Not in eighty, eight, obviously hockey was a lot different than than it is. Now Wayne gretzky had just got traded to The Los Angeles. Kings hockey in The south began to boom pretty. Quick, California, florida all of That dallas, Area, Phoenix, Yes, Anaheim Los. Angeles but you look at where hockey is now compared to where it was. Then everyone in the world that puts on a pair of skates and holds a stick arguably wants to play in The National Hockey. League was just like me WHEN i was a. Kid but ultimately they want to win this and bring it home to mom and dad and say thanks and. That that's the stories that it can't, tell which it.
Speaker 2: Could, Yeah, now what's your favorite place that you got to bring it?
Speaker 1: To for?
Speaker 7: ME i LOVE i love going everywhere to a new. PLACE i love the people In. Finland in the, summer it's twenty four hours, night so they have a lot of celebrations going. On in the winter twenty four hours of, darkness it's a bit, tougher, yeah but, yeah The, fins they're all in on. Hockey but regardless of where we, go whether it's Across, CANADA, us over To, europe Into russia, wherever the reaction of hockey today.
Speaker 6: Is growing all the.
Speaker 7: TIME i think the last SET i saw it was it's played in ninety six countries around the. World, now oh, yeah and most of them don't even have, snow but they can make ice now and that makes it.
Speaker 2: Work it's pretty crazy in this new information, age how all the sports are just. Booming it seems like because of the social, media's the streaming services that are creating these deals with the, leagues THINKS i think sports are just on a way up because it's our real only REALITY tv that's real, exactly you know WHAT i? Mean like there's REALITY, tv but that ain't.
Speaker 1: Real this is.
Speaker 7: Real it's funny you said That my wife loves REALITY. Tv, YEAH i TELL i always tell her that's not REALITY.
Speaker 2: Tv In.
Speaker 7: Canada REALITY tv started With Hockey night In.
Speaker 1: Canada that's the real.
Speaker 7: Stuff and it's grown Obviously monday night football and all that.
Speaker 1: Baseball but that's. Reality that's.
Speaker 2: Reality, now what's the most intense superstition you've?
Speaker 1: ENCOUNTERED i think there's a few of.
Speaker 7: Them one of them is the beard in the playoffs hockey is right into. That the guys don't shave throughout basically two and a half months if they're still playing in. That but the other one is they will not touch it until they've earned.
Speaker 1: It AND i love that. Respect, Yeah like.
Speaker 7: Whatever Lord stanley brought to this game back in the eighteen nineties when he purchased this In, London, england it has grown and. Grown the respect of it and all of that and it could have a lot to do with the way the game is gowing in social media and all of, that but it's our white gloves we. Wear the guys understand how hard it is to. Win they know they can't do it by. Themselves their family is part of, it so when they touch, it they want to have earned. It and you gotta love anytime respect is part of a.
Speaker 2: Sport, yeah you feel that with, hockey you feel respect. Tradition that's something that like that locker, room out of all the, SPORTS i, feel has like the biggest respect for the people that came. Before and it's probably because this has something to do with. It you get to see every single one of their names until they have to remove one and add a, new but you get to see the guys that put the, work the, blood to, sweat the tears to be able to hold this.
Speaker 6: Thing it's so.
Speaker 7: True the night the cup is, won to be in the dress room and the guys are looking at past names of.
Speaker 6: HEY i remember watching that guy or.
Speaker 7: Whatever to hear that, yea it brings all the magic together right on the spot and then you ask, them so what do you want to do with that on your? Day and it's just the emotions ARE i gotta thank my mom and.
Speaker 6: DAD i wish my grandparents. HERE i got to take it to the.
Speaker 7: CEMETERY i gotta go to like it's. Unbelievable but they know they can't do it by. Themselves, yeah they had somebody tying their skate when they were, young and they don't forget those, people and that that's a respect in.
Speaker 2: Itself you wear white gloves every time you touch? It, Yes so, like are we Like Willie Mays hayes posting up our white gloves after every time we Touch how many white pairs white gloves are going?
Speaker 6: Through i've got every Pair i've ever.
Speaker 2: Worn how many is? It?
Speaker 6: Wow it's probably four to five hundred.
Speaker 7: Pairs holy. Shmoly my wife wants me to throw them. Out i've got them in my drawers at.
Speaker 1: HOME i don't have sock drawers, anymore ondy. DRAWERS i have white.
Speaker 2: Glove, george you know you should. Do you should sew them to. Fanatics, honestly we should sew. Them.
Speaker 1: Honestly make you a couple of shekels, there.
Speaker 7: Buddy but you know, what it's funny we talk about the white. GLOVES i work at The Hockey hall Of fame And museum In. Toronto every curator in any museum in the world wears white. Gloves our fingerprints have oils in. Them we don't want to get it on the. Artifact whether it's a, trophy whether it's an, artwork whether it's a rock, gallery whatever it might, be all curators wear.
Speaker 1: Them we kind of brought those white.
Speaker 7: Gloves from behind the scenes to the forefront when we carry the. Cup we wanted to carry it whether we don't deserve to touch it. EITHER i, Mean i've never won, it SO i shouldn't be touching. It but by carrying it with the white, GLOVES i think we're AND i hope we're paying.
Speaker 1: It the respect it.
Speaker 7: Deserves, Wow AND i hope fans and players in that understand that's why we do. It it's not not for any of, it not to glam or.
Speaker 6: Anything it's to respect what this.
Speaker 2: Is we'll be right back after this quick. Break, now what's cleaning technique this bad? Boy it's every day every, Day so we're using like silver polish or.
Speaker 6: Well, no what do we use?
Speaker 7: It you know what's amazing is because this is all hand, done so it's not a computer generated. Names it's a silversmith out of Old, montreal generational, silversmith and she engraves each one of these names on here and it does it letter by. Letter so when we're cleaning, it all we're trying to do daily is take the fingerprints off of. It basically in our hotel, ROOM i can use the shampoo that's in the hotel room in warm water and that'll get rid of the. Fingerprints Louise Saint jacques is the. Silversmith she professionally does it twice a. Year so it looks. Outstanding and as you mentioned, earlier when you see it from a, distance it's. Unbelievable when you see it up, close you see the imperfections in. It then it's got a story and that's there's the story it can.
Speaker 2: Tell the story's. Everything like that's the best part about this. Trophy sometimes when you get a perfect, trophy the brand, new you, know it's like this is like been through.
Speaker 4: It only being cleaned by like hotel, shampoo hockey, guy hockey guy moved through and through love.
Speaker 7: IT i don't know about, That like what it DOESN'T i have?
Speaker 2: Do like you and, Now, phil what's The Stanley?
Speaker 1: Cup mean to.
Speaker 7: You to me in, SPORT i think it's the greatest trophy in the. World to be able to be part of the greatest sport in the world and to be able to walk out on the ice and play a small role in that whole presentation, process it's. AMAZING i growing, up LIKE i, SAID i wanted to win The Stanley. Cup to be able to walk it on the red carpet and be part of the commissioner's presentation in, that it's pretty. Amazing, WOW i think on their, day because every player gets a day with a cup to show up on the day of and first of all congratslating them and meeting their, family but being a fly on the wall listening to the stories of how they got, there that to me means all of.
Speaker 1: It, yeah that's priceless right.
Speaker 2: There, Now how the hell did you end up at the bottom Of mario lemuse? POOL i saw.
Speaker 7: This, YEAH i didn't end up in the BOTTOM i. Was if you started the photo out, there you'll SEE i didn't have do you know we had we actually we had some police officers there one. Time It's mario's pretty superstitious, guy and well deserved. TOO i mean two Time Stanley cup champion as a, captain three times as an, owner he's earned the. Rights but, yeah it has been In mario's pool a few times and a few. Times, yeah and again that's the superstition side because it went in once and then they won the next, Year so that's got to be that's the superstition kicking in. That, YEAH i don't think he and see my feet in that.
Speaker 2: One, now what's the worst has been? Damaged and who? Didn't, SADLY.
Speaker 7: I mean, again we go back to the imperfections and perfections when if someone looks at it close they see scratches and some. Dents, sadly it has got scratches and. DENTS a few years ago it was dropped on the ice.
Speaker 6: Right after the.
Speaker 7: Presentation oh, man that was a tough one because the whole world is watching. Then but players will do whatever to make sure that doesn't. Happen but as you can see on there when you look, CLOSE i, Think, jules when you AND i are this, hold we might have some dents and scratches on us.
Speaker 1: Too where they.
Speaker 2: Say the bumps in the road or will make the journey? Fun, yeah well said there it.
Speaker 1: Is there you. GO i got a.
Speaker 4: Question So i've, heard like recently that there's a lot of superstition around the ownership and having the cup in the building or not in the, building like when it's like during The Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: Final is there any.
Speaker 4: Like how do you deal with that or any stories from like having to like jostle superstitions while also being president for The Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: Final it.
Speaker 7: IS i, mean there are other superstitions and it's pretty amazing BECAUSE i Use colorado for, Example Pierre, laquali OLD gm and president of The, avalanche he did not want it in the building until it could possibly be young be. One so we're there doing our job with having the cup have to be in the building because it could be, won and Peerre laquad doesn't want it, there so you have to kind of hide out of the, way but at the same time respect his wishes and his. Superstitions there's a lot of teams that think the same. Way boston was the same Way, Montreal. Toronto but in today's world of social, media everything else on, camera so everybody knows where it's at and. That BUT i can really appreciate.
Speaker 1: Why they don't want it in the.
Speaker 7: Building they don't think they've earned the right to have it there until they've actually. Done and then once that's, happened those superstitions are gone and they become part of the legacy of A Stanley cup.
Speaker 2: Champion, Well, phil it's been an amazing treat to have not just The cup, here but you because of your countless stories and you're part of the tradition, man and it's it's really cool to get to pick your brain for a little. Bit, uh thank you for coming to the. Nuthouse is there anything you want to? Plug does your wife have something that she? Loves she loves. Reality what do we want to? PLUG i, know happy, wife happy.
Speaker 1: Life, YEAH i like that.
Speaker 7: One, hey you know, what that's a good. ONE i, mean she's become a hockey fan over the. Years So stanley is part of our life and part of our. FAMILY i guess so for my kids and my wife And. Diane it's another story in the day of the life Of Lord. Stanley oh, man thank. You how awesome is it to have The Stanley cup? Here that still can't Believe it's.
Speaker 2: Unreal shout out to THE. Nhl you, know they they've been. Listening they've been listening to the. Fans you, know the four nation. Ship this, LIKE i feel like hockey's got buzz right. Now hockey's, buzzing and.
Speaker 1: It is because it's.
Speaker 2: PLAYOFFS i mean playoff. Hockey you always feel.
Speaker 1: It, well we know what The Stanley Cup final is right. Now it's The oilers versus The.
Speaker 2: Panto boilers versus The pan.
Speaker 1: Two fourth on four ON t AND.
Speaker 2: T great pregame, coverage, McDavid, McDavid Chuck, Good Chuck Brad. Marshawn we love, You Face, Killer let's go Snows Face killer. Podcast we like, dogs and thanks everyone in THE nhl for for letting us see this thing.
Speaker 4: And experience this and everyone. There, yeah absolutely. INCREDIBLE i MEAN i go back to not to be too. SENTIMENTAL i go back to last year around this, time we Have larry O'Brien in the.
Speaker 2: Trophy which was.
Speaker 4: Huge jack's a big basketball guy AND i never really thought having a trophy at our studio on our show would be. Possible and then When larry O'Brien showed up And larry was super, Cool larry can, Hang larry can, Hang i'm thinking to, myself, like oh, Man Stanley cup, man that would be. Crazy and now almost exactly a year, later it's right, here.
Speaker 1: Get into.
Speaker 5: Existence we gotta, say, Though, kyler as our resident hockey, guy how are you?
Speaker 1: Feeling?
Speaker 4: SO i was never gonna win A Stanley? Cup look at. Me it's never gonna win A Stanley? Cup, RIGHT i chose. Media but you know, what this is the Closest i'll ever get. That this cup is here because of. Us my dad's. Here it's very.
Speaker 1: Sentimental i'm about to cry if you touch. IT i haven't touched it.
Speaker 2: YET i don't think you're supposed to touch.
Speaker 1: It, Well i'm not gonna win.
Speaker 2: It how do you? Know what?
Speaker 1: If what?
Speaker 2: If what if you direct a crazy movie by AN nhl team and then all of a sudden you think back to your. Life, HMMM i touched it WHEN i was doing that little podcast we were, doing and Now i'll never win. It when you're like seventy eight years, old.
Speaker 1: You know what we'll, see we'll see what.
Speaker 2: Happened don't don't fucking touch.
Speaker 1: IT i might touch.
Speaker 2: It i'm gonna touch.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 2: Don't don't you touch. It don't touch, it gonna touch?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Wait, wait you're he's such a fair weather. Fan, wait who's your hockey. Team now you're you're you're bolt up with fucking The chargers in La are you in L a King he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't he wears his career in L A kingship all the. Time The penguins BECAUSE i live in Near Korea. Town well, yeah He's penguins.
Speaker 7: Guy i'm The penguins first of, All kings And.
Speaker 1: Penguins they don't have any bad, blood first and.
Speaker 4: Foremost, okay so you can have A West coast, team like you're a forty Nine ers fan.
Speaker 2: The, team you might as well have An east coast, team A west coast.
Speaker 1: Team let's get A south team in.
Speaker 4: There i'm mostly Repperen Korea town because it's got the Cool Korean kings. Thing it is pretty. Cool and when they're doing the, HARMONICA i thought they were going to take that all the way to The Stanley. Cup turns out they lost of The, oilers but you know that was fun. Vibes those vibes are. Incredible, hey those ladies got the, Juice.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do have the.
Speaker 2: Juice and then, yeah so.
Speaker 4: But you, know If i'm not wearing Any penguins stuff, HERE i don't want to jinx any of.
Speaker 1: That, Really, yeah what do you, mean what would?
Speaker 2: JINKS i don't.
Speaker 1: KNOW i Think crosby And malkin and the thing they got one more in. Them would that be a? Jinx you think if you wore pen? Stuff not, really but.
Speaker 2: You, know have they been?
Speaker 1: Close not?
Speaker 2: Recently no butt, believe gotta, believe gotta, Believe Kyle.
Speaker 1: Doss they're turning around next. Year all, right let's get out of, here let's get thanks for at THE. Nhl this is. Awesome go watch The Standy cup.
Speaker 4: Final you don't need to hear from, us but, oilers, Panthers you're gonna be. Awesome it's gonna be A tnt and shout out to Ray, bork The Rayborg, foundation Ray Borg. Foundations what an. Episode that's what an.
Speaker 2: Episode and thanks again to Ray, Borg Phil pritchard and the n H l for letting us Have, Lord sir Stan, lee Mister.
Speaker 1: Cupp thank, You Lord stanley for thank.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 2: Lord this IS i can't put words.
Speaker 1: Together well that's not anything new.
Speaker 2: Y i DEFINITELY i never really. Could, well that's been another episode Of games And. Names subscribe On Apple, Podcasts, Spotify Amazon, music wherever you listen to podcast calming a game you want us to do and remember rate and. Review leave us a five star review On. Spotify while you're, there we'll read the best. Ones oh, no that's our YouTube. Stuff that's our.
Speaker 1: YouTube, no but there's comments In spotify now. Too there Is spotify Spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah you see how A stanley. COMES i, START i start Talking. Canadian well you are is Your canadian coming. Out it's a little it's a little coming.
Speaker 1: Out you getting all. TINGLY i guess you gotta say you're stealing, valor but not you're. Good you. Passed, yeah my mom just got a green.
Speaker 5: Card really, yeah shout Out, angie. Congrats it took her like fifty years, man better late than. Ever she married my, dad so she didn't technically need it or. SOMETHING i don't think it used to be a blue.
Speaker 1: CARD i don't.
Speaker 2: Know but remember to follow games with names on, YouTube, instagram x, TikTok and.
Speaker 1: Snapchat leave a comment on the YouTube full.
Speaker 2: Episode we'll read the best ones on our future episodes and leave them message on that old. Hotline those are always fun at four two four two nine one two two nine. Zero we'll see you guys next. Week games With names of production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts From, iHeartRadio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your. Podcasts