Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he's Talking Cowboys, springing live from the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters.
Speaker 1: At the Star in Frisco. Six second plus Dot Tizon.
Speaker 4: Touchdowns and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's a Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the.
Speaker 1: SWBC Mortgage Studios. Welcome in, everybody.
Speaker 5: We've got Patrick no Cy Walker, Josh Rodriguez sipping on his Black Rifle Coffee in his Black Rifle Coffee mug. And then we've got Isaiah Standback fresh off the West Coast. Fact but I was back in the building today. I'm Kyle Yeomans. We've got Cris Beam of course in the back.
Speaker 1: Welcome in, everybody. How was your trip? It was good? It was good. I mean we we.
Speaker 5: Got to watch the game together on Sunday, finished the first half of Cowboys O t knocked it out and then had some technical difficulties with the Marvey and overshown and then said by later.
Speaker 3: I know I ate away a little bit at our time, but he's always a good, good interview.
Speaker 1: He had a heck of a game.
Speaker 3: Heck of a game. I know you guys have covered already. I've been checking in on y'all. Y'all do the head of a job you watched? Yeah, absolutely, I watched man.
Speaker 1: As we were as we were watching you. Yeah. So we're sitting here wat.
Speaker 5: I mentioned at one point, but it is weird like sitting in here with that chair well, I mean, I guess Josh was sitting over there, so it wasn't an empty chair, but just.
Speaker 1: Not still one. It was still.
Speaker 5: But looking over to our second monitor that that is constantly on NFL Network, And the reason why we keep it on NFL Network is because of breaking moves and just in case something happens, we can tell you live on the air.
Speaker 1: But when we look over there and.
Speaker 5: It's just I say, I wearing a Kingdome shirt, he's got his body on the Seattle repping.
Speaker 1: As always.
Speaker 5: You had a nice like salmon Polo on on Monday. I mean I found I found the outlets out here. I found the outlet store.
Speaker 1: You can't have money with no no, No, that's exactly what it is. I'm always gonna be on a discount of check.
Speaker 6: Okay, Iaay, stand back is not afraid of a different kind of color, you know what I'm saying, Like always put on something different like a tan or a toe or just yeah, I had yellow shoes Gray.
Speaker 7: I feel like you you had a yellow.
Speaker 1: Yellow llow shoes on. Well, did you find some Jordan's final they find Jordan outlet.
Speaker 3: There were actually some Monopoly one drops, little Monopoly editions, the utilities, the utility of versions.
Speaker 6: I feel like you go to Lows in the paint department and they're like that shirt you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, right, yeah, spinning fat color of Hey dudes.
Speaker 3: But that was hard because, like, listen, I found a Hey Dude outlet like you like, Hey dudes, Beamer, We're going on, We're going there's a whole store.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. It's out there by Motor Speedway.
Speaker 3: There's a outlet st I don't know the name an outlet, wow, but they have a Hay Dudes out.
Speaker 1: I think they are like the Tanger outlets out there. Hey dudes, if y'all listening, we will wear some Hay dues on the show. They don't. They don't need any money to us. What's that not yet?
Speaker 4: Hey, dudes, my brother now, George Brand They have a sponsorship with QB one want to slash those over.
Speaker 1: This, that would be nice. They got another QB the other day. Yeah, Stroud, Yeah they did.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: I want to hear your thoughts on the game though, the first time you've you've been on the Talking Cowboys airwaves. What'd you think about thirty three seventeen over Cleveland?
Speaker 3: I thought they physically handled Cleveland, and I was pleasantly surprised of that. Cleveland, for whatever reason, teams do not teams that run the ball well. For whatever reason, whenever they faced Dallas, Cowboys abandoned the run. And I'm not sure what that is. And I'm not too concerned now either, because they worked at the benefit of the Dallas Cowboys. But Dallas was able to enforce their will on Cleveland, and that's not what I expected going into the game. I just knew that Cleveland's would to come out and run the ball thirty five times and just say, Dallas stop us. But they, for whatever reason, thought it was a good idea to put it in the hands of Deshaun Watson. That was what we were hoping that they would do, because we knew right just from being here on the show that that was not their strong suit. We all felt that Deshaun Watson has lost velocity. We all felt that Deshaun Watson is not the most accurate quarterback, and we knew that he had to utilize his legs. And this defense is fast. Dallas's defense is fast. You add in Zimmer's schemes and they're even more dangerous than once then when they were once worked, when they were just playing primarily man to man. So you couple all that with the fact that they controlled the line of scrimmage, and I was very pleased with what they provided. Dak didn't have to do much. You know, what he did was was it was good enough. He didn't need to put up no crazy numbers. Uh C d list say I was wrong, CD was ready. I didn't think CD was going to be ready to be up there and handle our entire game and have guys pushing on him and you know, pressing press man and all that. He handled himself very well. He came prepared awesome. No injuries on that front. On that front, we did.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm sure you have news and knows in terms of Fergie.
Speaker 3: But overall, man, I was happy and it was good to see Overshown show up big, big started kid.
Speaker 1: Didn't see that coming. Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't see that coming at all. Though the word was Mayor's lifou and then all of a.
Speaker 1: Sudden it was unofficial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unofficial. There you go, and Overshown showed up. He I'm sure he got emotional, just like we saw Trayvon Diggs get emotional, because coming off of an injury and stepping onto the field and looking like you once looked is the best thing in the world for an athlete because there's so many concerns and so many questions and so much doubt and to go out there and be able to run and cut and hint the way that you once did.
Speaker 1: I know he's he's he's on cloud nine right now. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Trayvon Diggs as well, spoke with Trayvon after the After the game. Obviously he had the interception and his talk about strapping guys like you could not get a pass off against Trayvon in coverage, but Trayvon said it was real emotional, like he got tear.
Speaker 7: Got before the game too.
Speaker 3: Sounds from the sideline confirmed that you saw him hug and have an emotional exchange with Al Harrison.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't even look at it before the game. Yeah, after the pick. Yeah, he gave him the half. And that's how my mama hugs. She don't want to get you know, she don't want to get emotional trying to hold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, get back.
Speaker 5: And we were watching for it because we had seen on our cameras in studio. We get like kind of an extra couple of looks because we get the in house look to whenever we're watching the game.
Speaker 1: And we saw that pregame moment of of Dak or excuse.
Speaker 5: Me, of Trayvon and now sharing that emotional hug, sharing a couple of tears in Trayvon's case, and then when the pit cap and we were like, all right.
Speaker 1: How quickly is he get the out? Quickly is he get the out? And he got over there pretty fast.
Speaker 5: He got there to Al, and they had the skycam kind of hovering over the top of it, and yeah, it was just like a ye, got hold, like holding, appreciate you did your tear going reverse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's that's.
Speaker 5: The type of connection they have, and it was, it was it was really cool.
Speaker 3: Shout out also, Okay, so I was wrong about CD being ready to go right in terms of the full state, uh fool full game. And I was also wrong around Kayln Carson. M Oh, Kayln Carson showed up.
Speaker 1: I didn't. She just stopped talking about like like these these guys.
Speaker 3: You know, I have my opinions, and I was staying on it right Like Kevin Carson, I knew that he was competitor.
Speaker 1: I said that, I know he was competitor.
Speaker 3: I love his fight, I love his grit, I love how fast he was in camp, but I did not. I felt as if if he was in a man and man situation that he would be taking advantage of and he wasn't, and he wasn't.
Speaker 1: So shout out to you, I was wrong. You showed up. Now.
Speaker 3: I hope that you could continue to show up and do it now when when Al Harris speaks up and says I have a dog, we might want to listen for sure.
Speaker 6: And I feel like he had the benefit of going up against Shaun Watson in that game, who was overwhelmed obviously and wasn't throwing confidently, wasn't making the right read.
Speaker 7: So when he goes up against a better quarterback, like we said, yeah, it'll.
Speaker 1: Be, he's about to Derek Carr and we'll get to that. But and I'd love.
Speaker 4: One reason I love Isaiah is because he stands on business right or wrong.
Speaker 1: So I just I love that. I love that.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to give you your roses while you're giving yourself the criticism Deck's contract landed, Yeah, said, and it happened.
Speaker 3: How you feeling, I feel good? I feel good. And a lot of people were surprised of it. Obviously, I was not surprised. What I was surprised of was to guaranteed money.
Speaker 1: What did you think about.
Speaker 3: Listen to thirty one out of forty ninety six percent guaranteed said, I'm not Deshaun Watson, but I better be something close to it in terms of contract. In terms of the contract, I got more guaranteed money, right, and I got the bag.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of money and fewer states and no state, no states. Put on top of that. Listen man, listen to win win. Shout out to Dak Shout.
Speaker 3: Out to his agent friends who not only guaranteed the ninety six four year extension forty of them things, but also this is what this is what didn't get didn't get out there in the media too much. He also got another no trade clause and another no franchise tag.
Speaker 1: Another one his agent's amazing.
Speaker 3: So shout out to his team, Shout out to his confidence and his team, and how Dak persevered and held himself through all this, through all these conversations.
Speaker 1: Imagine being the QB one for.
Speaker 3: The Dallas Cowboys in your second major contractual negotiations where you were literally talked about on every TV show.
Speaker 1: You're highlighted.
Speaker 3: Or you can't go out in public, you know what I'm saying, Like, you can't go out in public, you can't go to the grocery.
Speaker 1: Store, you can't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: You can't do anything without everybody grabbing you and asking you or talking to you.
Speaker 1: Like that's a hard life man.
Speaker 3: You always have to put on his persona like everything is good, right. You're trying to save face, not only for yourself and your family, but you're also trying to represent your team.
Speaker 1: You're trying to represent the organization, You're representing.
Speaker 3: The city of Dallas and trying to make sure that you don't say anything negative regardless of what you may be feeling on the inside.
Speaker 1: That takes a lot to.
Speaker 3: Stand up and be in that light and have integrity through it all.
Speaker 4: And in addition to seeing these hot takes on these talk shows like Sadar Sanders is penciled in, Dak Prescott's penciled out to see all of that kind of stuff and then come in and stand in front of media and maintain composure time and time again, knowing confident that you'd be taking care of in the end.
Speaker 1: And the Cowboys did it. So you're right.
Speaker 5: And I love now that the conversation of will he be the quarterback of the future, that's that's over, That that conversation is done. Is there still conversation around Dak Prescott? Is there still gonna be some some critique and contra with it. Absolutely, that's part of the territory.
Speaker 7: The second half.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And that's going to be the telltale sign of whether the sixty million dollars is worth it or not.
Speaker 1: Sixty million a year.
Speaker 5: If he goes where this team believes that he can take them, if he can take them to a super Bowl, if he can win a super Bowl with this team under this contract, Every single penny of this contract, every single penny of the next contract, every single penny of the contract previously, will all be worth it if he can take them to.
Speaker 1: The promised land. So that's where it turns. Now.
Speaker 5: There's no excuses with Dak. There's no excuses with anything else at this point. It's either you do it or you don't. Now it's cut dry and no gray area. If you don't get there, if you don't get to an NFC Championship game or a Super Bowl, or you don't win it all, then I mean, pure and simple, sixty.
Speaker 1: Million dollars isn't worth it. But I think he can get you there.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that he was able to get his bag because I feel as if these crazy contracts or quarterbacks are coming to an end, and I think the next.
Speaker 1: Some point it's going to come next not it come back down.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be the connect collective bargain agreement that's going to be one heck of a conversation between the owners and the players and say, hey, this is the pot absolutely going to put it back on the players laps or a separate cap. They're going to put it back on the players laps and be like, hey.
Speaker 1: Might be like NBA like a max contract deal. Absolute, Absolutely, that's exactly what's going to be.
Speaker 4: You negotiate a SUPERMX clause in there, maybe, I mean, that's that's kind of what it's going It's going to be.
Speaker 1: Something along those lines.
Speaker 3: Because you get a SUPERMX incentive, they're going to make the players vote to say, hey, do you want the quarterbacks taking this percentage away.
Speaker 1: From you guys? And you know what it's going to end up, absolutely and what it'll end up being.
Speaker 5: I think if from a player standpoint, if if that's the actual conversation and these owners are putting that on the table moving forward, the conversation would then shift from a player's standpoint, the NFL p A, I'm sure would come back with a why don't we just make quarterback contracts separate, separate and have no separate cap on the quarterbacks or a separate cap or a larger ca app a larger piece of the pie for your quarterback contracts, which I mean you can make a baseball one d you can make a football and on the other next other.
Speaker 1: End from a contract standpoint right now, all a lot of kids arena playing quarterback. Yeah, that's your center. No, I'm a cube quarterback. That's all of it.
Speaker 5: All right, let's get some news and notes outside of dek and the weekend.
Speaker 4: Well, thankfully, the news and notes are. It's pretty slim today. Yeah, and that's because number one Cowboys did not practice yesterday. They will practice today. Headline for today's practice is Jake Ferguson. Obviously, so just to reiterate, Jake Ferguson is on a return to work rehab program right now, which means he will not be on injured reserve, which means he will not miss a minimum of four games, which also means that there's a lot of optimism that he might not miss any time at all. Jerry Jones on one oh five three the Fan yesterday kind of in conjunction with the sentiment from Mike McCarthy, in conjunction with what Dak Prescott said after the game, saying, he being Ferguson, told me he'll be fine, will be fine. A lot of signs point to Ferguson having a solid chance to take the field against the Saints this Sunday in Arlington. Now, is that guaranteed. Absolutely not. It is an MCL spring, this is not the playoffs. The division is not on the line. This is Week two. It's a long season, so it is very very possible. Dare I say likely that the Cowboys opt to give Jake Ferguson's needs some rest this weekend, which I would be totally fine with. Ask these other guys to step up, including Hunter Lipkey, get Jaylen Tobert and Jalen Brooks more involved in this game against the Saints if need be. But that's the latest. Excuse me on Jake Ferguson. He dodged a massive bullet and by doing so, the Cowboys did as well. Because pro bowler on track for a possible All Pro season. You lose Jake Ferguson, you are in some big tru Yeah.
Speaker 5: That is a big one, especially I mean combined we talked about yesterday eight perception, sixty five yards, two touchdowns and they all are Luke screwmaker.
Speaker 1: Brevin Spanford will have an opportunity.
Speaker 5: I think John Stevens Junior is still a little banged up. We'll see if that had a save. He Key gang from that.
Speaker 4: For today's practice, John Stevens is another one that you want to keep an eye on because of the question of availability for Jake Ferguson. This week, John Stevens missed the season opener with that hamstring injury. Is he ready? Will he be limited today? Will he be a full goal today? Will he be DMP today? Today's injury report is going to give us the first real look at if that rest from last week helped him at all, because he was DMP all last week going into missing that game. So he's had a couple weeks of rest now house that hamstring responding because they're going to need him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what else on the news and notes list? That's it for now. Like I said, we're skinny on the news and notes.
Speaker 4: Look the Cowboys for the most part, Jake Ferguson, notwithstanding they left Hole. So not only did they get the convincing win in Cleveland, but for the most part, they left Hole and Jake Ferguson. Again, it is not a major injury, not ir So you gotta be pleased.
Speaker 1: You gotta be pleased. Let's take our first break, then love it when we come back.
Speaker 5: It is a Wednesday, which means it's time to take a look at the Cowboys defensive preview versus the New Orleans says, as we turned the page to week two of the NFL season, is.
Speaker 1: Alvin Kamara still the threat that he once was down in the Bayou.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about it when we come back right after this with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 5: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 1: That's right, America's coffee is.
Speaker 5: Now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help with digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby. You can keep life moving forward the way you need it to Bank of America, what would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see Eco credit opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This portion of the show is brought to you by none other than Quaker Oh, it's the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: You guys fighting over the Quaker eye ball. You should fight over one. You should fight over the Quaker O. Hey, I got a ball right here. I disagree it was on a line that's on the line playing air. There's a ball in the back. There's a behind you on the back, so that's true.
Speaker 7: We can share the ball.
Speaker 1: That's all. You're sired.
Speaker 7: We've shared many of the things.
Speaker 5: Quaker Oads, the official oatmeal sponsor in the Dallas Cowboys, did since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: In air hockey, do you guys cross the median? Do you guys cross them? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: You know you can't do that. Why would you have do you say they just did it? But it sounds that sounds like the bull was right on the middle line. It was on the same it was on the middle line.
Speaker 5: He said that so casually that I thought I was like, I could just see Isaiah like, oh yeah reaching.
Speaker 1: He was far too comfortable with that. I'm definitely read over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're reaching over, your fingers are about to get small.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's what I put my fingers in the side and then the little cup.
Speaker 1: Oh my, yeah, you gotta yeah, are you gonna get his knuckle? You must not be very good at I'm a Jedi. I'm a Jedi the way your t rex.
Speaker 11: Bro.
Speaker 1: Come on, bro, we're taking the sidecar. We're making We're taking this over the sidecar. I think they've got one. I played the one with like three pucks. Oh have you so? Why are you reaching?
Speaker 2: Reach?
Speaker 1: Wh reaching QB vision you reach ost It's like the old XFL kickoff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Have you ever played the one with like the one hundred pucks where it's a lot? It's a lot going on? What? No, it was wilds.
Speaker 5: We were playing at one time. I can't remember where we were. We were at some bar or something, and you play all the way through, but if you hit like a certain part of the board, or certain part.
Speaker 1: Of the the table.
Speaker 5: It like releases from the sides and it's like a hundred puffs.
Speaker 7: That's a lot of to get.
Speaker 1: And we didn't know it was happening. We had no idea that what was you have to I don't know what they're called. You have to handles hopped out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have two goalies And we were wondering that. We're like, why do you want to handles?
Speaker 1: That's why? A dude, I guarantee you Beamer just jumped in the back. I guarantee you he just jumped, all right.
Speaker 5: Cowboys versus Saints this weekend, of course, the Cowboys and Saints, that's a storied rivalry going all the way back to god knows how long the Big Easy making their way to Arlington, Texas back at at and T Stadium. Cowboys defense, of course, they were the storyline in Week one. They looked fantastic against Deshaun Watson and company. Can they do so for an encore in week two? Josh, I'll start with you, what's the number one thing you want to see from this team to bring an encore into Week two's matchup with New Orleans.
Speaker 6: Well, it's keeping Derek carrn check. He now has new offensive coordinator, Clint Kubiak, who was once on Mike Zimmer's coaching staff back in Minnesota. Sob tree the Kubiak tree, and I think is relying on their offensive line movement. They ran motion on sixty six percent of their plays last week. Forty percent of cars dropbacks were play action, So it might be hard at least for them to have their plays developed like they did last week. They were going against the Panthers who were arguably not you know, arguably arguably not great. I don't want to lay on them too much, but I don't think they're gonna be able to rely so much on the play action because having those plays developed with this Cowboys defensive line is going to be tough. They're gonna be chased after all game. I don't think Cars going to have is eighty three percent pass completion this game with a one hundred and forty two point five power passer rating. I don't think that's gonna happen. But Derek Carr is a weapon, and he was throwing dimes all last week. There were good game, several touchdowns that were dropped from perfect Derek Carr throws are.
Speaker 5: This is kind of an interesting look. From the beginning of last year. Right beginning of last year, there's four quarterbacks in the NFL that have games with three passing touchdowns and zero interceptions, either at the level.
Speaker 1: Or more than Dak Prescott.
Speaker 5: Jordan Love has five of those games three interceptions or I mean three touchdowns no interceptions.
Speaker 1: Jordan Love has.
Speaker 5: Five, Rock Perty has five, Dak Prescott has five, Derek Carr has three right there too, like he has three of those games all have come since Week fifteen of last year. So let's just say right now, from the final four games of last year to the first game of this year, he's had three of those games, which means he's figuring something out along the way.
Speaker 7: They were red hot at that at the end of last year. For sure.
Speaker 4: For me, it's keep the pressure on. You got to keep the pressure on. That's one thing that if you go back and you look at the game between the Panthers and the Saints, one of the reasons the Saints were able to hang forty seven on the Panthers is the Panthers could not consistently make Derek Carr uncomfortable back there. They couldn't they just let him sit back there and he was filing his texas between throws, and you can't do that, especially when you have weapons like Shaheed who can do some damage out there. We talk about Alvin Kamaro, will talk in greater detail about him soon, But for me, it's keep the pressure on and keep your gap discipline. When it comes to a shifty guy who can do damage in space like Alvin Kamara out of the backfield, you do that. I would look at the twenty eighteen film, I believe it was twenty eighteen. If I'm Mike Zimmer, I look at the twenty eighteen film and I look at Jordan Lewis and say, hey, remember that, Yeah, remember that? And you allow Jordan Lewis to spy on Alvin Kamara and in doing so a few years ago, he shut Camara down in that game. So be it Jordan Lewis or with the speed of demarveon overshown that we've seen Eric Kendricks to speed. The linebackers are going to be tested again sideline to sideline. But if you can get pressure, because the Saints front five it isn't sensational, right, you can get pressure on the guy. But the Panthers front four is not exceptional at doing so.
Speaker 1: Now Cowboys front is.
Speaker 4: So if you can do that, make Derek Carr uncomfortable and maybe spy Alvin Kamara, I think you walk away with a winning this game.
Speaker 1: Probably no spy, no spy, no spy, no spy. Make him prove it. Okay, player based defense. Listen, you think this is different. This is speed on speed. It is. This is speed on speed.
Speaker 3: The Saints literally just lifted the chin of the Panthers and smacked me.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the reason why personal was personnel. You know what I'm talking about. Lift the chin? Uh, where's my powder? Exactly?
Speaker 4: The Saints want to stretch you out. Yeah, I think you're on the one shot.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I can't see behind.
Speaker 3: They want to stretch you sideline the sideline, and they want to much like coach McCarthy did a really good job of keeping the Browns off kilter in terms of not just going downhill every time. Right, it was our end and round, it was a screen, it was a you know, a pass out to the flats. That's exactly what the Saints did last week. They literally threw a ton of screens, and it was almost like they ran screens to run passes. So it wasn't even like you know, it wasn't like a run to play. It was a screen to play action. And when they have you, they overload you in terms of personnel. So they'll play three four guys on one side and throw a screen right out the backfield, whether it's to Kamara, whether it's to Shahi, whether it's to Taysom Hill. They'll throw it out there and make you come downhill now, right, but it's going to be outside the tackle box. So they really want to get you running sideline the sideline, and they don't do a lot coming straight at you. Once you start going sideline the sideline, that's when they try to sneak it by you and give it to Kamara inside the tackle box. Once they get you going sideline the sideline and really coming downhill aggressively towards the screen, that's when the play action happens.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So you're really gonna have to be disciplined all right in your assignments. And I don't think that Dallas to date has a problem with that. We've seen it all through training camp. They're very disciplined We saw it through the preseason games. They're pretty disciplined, and now we've seen it against the Cleveland Browns in the regular season, where they were disciplined. They don't let allow guys to get behind them. And with that, I think that the Saints are gonna have issues offensively because a Dallas Cowboys can match their speed. They have guys linebackers that can run around, they have defensive linemen that are not just gonna sit back and play paddy Cake on the chest of offensive linemen. They're gonna come after Derek Carr, right, and they're gonna have to come after car because the last three games d Carr has had seven and we go back to last season, seventy six completions, seventy six percent completion rate, right, fifteen touchdowns, and one hundred and twenty nine passer rating first first and first of all quarterbacks who have over fifty passes.
Speaker 1: You gotta rattle them, You got to, you gotta put some pressure.
Speaker 3: He was sitting back there baking the cake last week and he was able to push it down the field because of that. So you take away his ability to be comfortable because you have defensive linemen like deed law like Michael Parsons that can go ahead and get after the quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: So he's not gonna have all day Osa's beast.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he's not gonna be comfortable, which means he's not gonna have the time to sit back and throw the ball down the field.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have linebackers.
Speaker 3: That can go up and make plays in the backfield in terms of stopping the screen, so you're not using your defensive backs and safeties and everybody else that are going to be bum rushing up there and then leaving something behind them, right in terms of big plays. So the areas that the Carolina Panthers were weak, the Dallas Cowboys is strong. And I'm really looking forward to that matchup of Zimmers versus his offense.
Speaker 5: I want you to tell me a little bit about these weapons when we come back.
Speaker 1: I wanted to.
Speaker 5: I know we know about Alvin Kamara, and I think my question is is he one of the once was maybe not one hundred percent of close.
Speaker 1: I mean he had one hundred yards from scrimmage last week, he had a touchdown.
Speaker 5: He's still decent. But you also know about Chris Olave. Maybe a little bit unknown guy with Rashi or how do you say that? Shahied love that name, by the way, Rashid Shaheed and what he does. I mean that's kind of a relative unknown. He's been fantastic recently.
Speaker 1: Speed speed, Speed Speed.
Speaker 5: Tell me about these guys when we come back on the other side of the break, more talking cowboys.
Speaker 8: Right after this, Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 5: It's the official Min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys.
Speaker 11: V Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 1: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 8: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 1: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier to cry out?
Speaker 11: Okay, this one's easy, I say give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for fresh American roasted.
Speaker 5: Coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you.
Speaker 1: Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 5: Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee. Today, a Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Back You're on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile.
Speaker 1: Of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Welcome in, everybody, hope we're bringing some smiles to your faces today, Like crazy, crazy Isaiah.
Speaker 7: I don't know how to do this. I don't want to be around an.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you guys talk about anymore. And yet he doesn't want to go No, dude, I love this show. That's so fun every day. Be a part of Talking Cowboys Nation. That's just knocking. Just go ahead, and can we get our own T shirt?
Speaker 3: Mate, because somebody out there make a Talking Cowboys T shirt?
Speaker 7: I want, you know, what I want is a coaches jacket. You know, what I mean, like one of those like yeah, break home.
Speaker 1: We started to start that sound.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, Hey, anybody out there who's listened, who's a talking Cowboys fan? Okay, if you guys are having any skills in terms of graphic design, now, I'm not talking about the AI stuff where you talk to it. I'm talking about actual skills, okay, where you can design something. Make us some T shirts and send them over here.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm an XL XL medium three baby three XL two XL Chris medium and we got exit. So two double two XLS two three L three XLS one triple X in one medium.
Speaker 1: There you go, y'all send it over there.
Speaker 3: We will rocking on the show bro for real. Matter of fact, we'll have a competition of who has the best design. So y'all send us some T shirts. We'll have a competition, but we will rock it on the air.
Speaker 5: Just put like my name on it and then send it to the Star and like they look up the stars address.
Speaker 1: If you want to sing with it, it'll end up. Let's have that competition. Is like one Dallas Cowboys wave.
Speaker 5: It's one Cowboys and on the back, make sure that there's a bowl of Quaker oats.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Please, Yeah, just just the back design, dude.
Speaker 5: I swear if we get a box of T shirts and there's a bowl of Quaker oats.
Speaker 1: On the back, I'm gonna laugh. So I would definitely wear it. I'm never shared of the rocket, all right.
Speaker 5: Saints have won five of their last six games since Week fourteen of twenty twenty three. Only team with a better record from that point on is the Buffalo Bills six and oho are the Bills at that point.
Speaker 1: The Saints in that time spaner.
Speaker 5: Leading the league with a thirty two points per game mark. They have been tearing it up in that five and one stretch, and really a big reason for that. Not only is Derek Carr, It's been the weapons that he's throwing the football tude she He led the Saints with seventy three yards last week and receiving touchdown in Week one. He also part of that was a fifty nine yarder against Carolina in Week one, fourth receiving touchdown of over fifty yards.
Speaker 1: For Shaheed, tell me a little bit about what he does. You said speed is that? It is it just his calling card or what else is he doing.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's really it is that accompanied by the fact that nobody else around him is a Swiss Army knife as well. So Alvin Kamara can line up as a receiver Kamara, sorry, he can line up as a receiver.
Speaker 1: He can line up in Kamara I thought it was Kamara. Kamara.
Speaker 3: So he can line up in a backfield. He'll come downhill, he'll run out screens, he'll line up as a receiver. He'll line up as a slot. So he's a Swiss Army knife. Taysom Hill, we know he could throw the ball. He's a full back, he's a running back, he's a tight end, so he's a Swiss Army knife. And then Rashiah, this dude's all over the place as well. So as a matter of being able to identify within their personnel not only okay, what position do they play, but what position are they playing on this particular play, and then how can they be a threat to me? All of them could run screens, all of them Dan there could throw the ball. All of them can line up anywhere across the field. So it makes it difficult in that regard because you can't put those individuals in a box you can't put their personnel in a box because you always have to be aware that, shoot, Alvin Kamara, he could throw the ball, Okay, al kamarga line.
Speaker 1: He gonna be a slot receiver.
Speaker 3: He could be a receiver, he could be running back, take some hill, he could do absolutely everything. I can't just treat him as a tight end. I can't just treat him as a running back. I always have to be aware of the fact that he could throw the ball behind my head as well, and he can block, and he could block right, so he all those guys present a problem because everything's on the table. One of the things about defense is I watch enough film, I understand what your personnel grouping is, I understand what your formation is, and then based upon those things, now I can start eliminating potential threats. You can't do that against these guys because everybody does everything.
Speaker 6: And you also can't discount Chris o'lave either. Number twelve.
Speaker 7: Yes, he's a great receiver in his own right.
Speaker 1: He could be a superstar. He's legit.
Speaker 6: He had an eleven hundred yard season last year with five touchdowns.
Speaker 7: I mean she he'd also had five touchdowns last year. He had a.
Speaker 6: Quiet game though last week, with only two catches for eleven yards, but he is a he's definitely a weapon. In fact, he almost didn't need to throw to him with how other running the ball, just getting the ball down the field that they didn't need to give Alvey a second look last week.
Speaker 1: Obby is their best receiver and they've barely.
Speaker 7: Got him involved.
Speaker 3: In those that are listening, I know we didn't really bring up a Lobby in that little segment right there, but he's their best receiver, so he's their gold guy. He's their guy that they're getting the ball to for the big play they like. Just just to your point, he was quiet last week, but please believe they're not going to go two weeks not allow him to have opportunities.
Speaker 5: I think that the thing about Olive, they expect him to be their top receiver, right like they when they took him in the first round out of Ohio State. That was the number one thing for Chris Olave And I loved Chris o'lave here in the draft show.
Speaker 1: He's just he's a phenomenal player.
Speaker 5: But the fact that they find a second guy like Rashid Shaheed who can compliment what the speed and the ellusiveness and the route running ability that Olave has with some speed and some just reliable hands and some yards after the catch.
Speaker 1: That's what's dangerous.
Speaker 5: It's the duo between the two and that's what's going to stretch the secondary this week.
Speaker 6: And speaking of duo, let's I know we're gonna talk about Alvin Kamara at length, but Jamal.
Speaker 1: Williams games as well.
Speaker 6: That is a dangerous backfield because of the tandem is sick. He had a slow year last year where he only averaged about three yards per carry, but just two years ago, twenty twenty two, he had a thousand yard season with a four yard per carry average.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you this question, then, which one threatens you more?
Speaker 5: The passing game and the weapons on the outside or the two running backs in the backfield.
Speaker 6: I like our secondary a lot. I'm worried about consistent run game. A consistently good run game coming at us down, down after down.
Speaker 7: That's me.
Speaker 6: And then also, of course Derek Carr using that to his advantage and throwing us throwing over.
Speaker 4: The top and for me until further notice. And I'd love it. Although Isaiah did kind of allude to it. The Browns kind of got away from the run, but when they tried the run, it wasn't working up the middle right, they had to go to the edges, and then that speed from the linebackers kicked in, and not only speed from the linebackers but patients. We know Eric Kendricks is a former first team All Pro, so you expect that his IQ and his veteran a need to recognize, diagnose, and be patient and strike when he needs to strike. That's going to be there, and it was there. It was evident against the Browns, but so was over shown's. I did a film breakdown on defense earlier this week, and there were times where the young man didn't just shoot himself out of the cannon. He stalked like he was stalking prey on Deshaun Watson and whoever was coming out of the backfield before he struck. So I think that's going to help you as far as defending the run on the edges. But you got to stop the run to have some fun. Stop the run to have some fun. So you stop the run, and that's going to force because Jamal Woods, he's going to try to a gap be gap it right, Alvin Kamara. He can do ab, but he wants to hit con outside. Okay, So force them outside. Shut down the middle with the big boys, Jordan Phillips, Monzi Smith, Osodiggy Zoo, Chauncey Ghost and get those guys lin Vald Joseph, get those guys doing that work up the middle. Stop the run, force the runs to the outside. Now your linebackers who have the speed, they can match them. They can go sideline to sideline, which then allows your defensive ends. Michael Parsons mar Shawn Naland had six pressures. Marshaw Kneeland had two more pressures last week then did two of the defensive ends for the Panthers against Derek Carr.
Speaker 1: So this.
Speaker 4: The Panthers had only the only how can I wear this? The only pressures they had against Derek Carr from the defensive front came on the edges, not the interior. It was two and two. It was a Shawn Robinson and it was jadaeve Yon Clowney.
Speaker 1: That's it. Four. Let me put that in perspective.
Speaker 4: Last week again or Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, Michael Parsons had nine de Marcus Lawrence had eight pressures, marshaw Naland had six, Chauncey Ghosten had four. Exactly get pressure, force him to be uncomfortable, and now your takeaways come. But again, none of that happens if you can't stop Elvin Kamara and especially Jamal Williams.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I can get jiggy with the no no QB spot because you have speed. Eric Kendricks, Mayor Stiel Foul and those guys. However, and I was sean let him hunt good with that, but you got to stop that run up the middle.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you that kind of a follow up on Cleveland, Mazzi Smith was graded as the lowest player on the entire Cowboys defense. He's graded by PFF as a thirty in Week one, thirty even terrible grade. When I went back and watched the film, I really didn't think it was that bad. Did I think he played well? No, I don't. I don't think Mazzie played well. Did I think it was detrimental to the defense. I also don't believe that either. Because the linebackers were able to run free. There were some edge rusher or edge pressure. With some edge pressures, there was a bajillion of edge pressure. I think he did what he needed to do with holding the line of scrimmage, which we talked about last year a lot of times.
Speaker 1: For a defensive tackle, that's all you need to do.
Speaker 5: You need to hold your ground. He didn't get pushed backwards. Yeah, what did you think from Mozzie Smith this week?
Speaker 1: Is about what I expected, which is not high.
Speaker 3: It's also I believe what this organization probably expected, which is the reason why you've seen that room turn over. Yeah, is that they've had They knew that what he was providing. Again, he's still young, right, but what he was, what he has been providing to date is not enough to impact the game. It's enough to be present, yeah, but it's not enough to impact the game.
Speaker 1: So and I agree with you. I think he's present exactly, but he would miss him. He's a first round pick. Yeah, I hear you. I trust me, I hear you loud. He's got to be impactful and he's not in this scheme.
Speaker 3: In this scheme currently, he has not shown the ability to do what they're asking these guys to do, which when you look at that game, Mozzi occupied a man. Okay, the other guys occupied multiple guys, right, So it's the difference between occupying a man and then occupying two offensive linements. The reason why d laud, the reason why Michael Parson is able to have one on one mattress is because the guards and the centers were doubling up on our interior defensive linement.
Speaker 1: You had to double up on a lineman. So if I'm.
Speaker 3: Consuming two of your five guys that could block, well, guess who.
Speaker 1: Can roam free? Now? My dns have one on ones.
Speaker 3: Now, my linebackers can roam free because they don't have guys getting up to the next level. It's the thing that we've talked about over the recent years in terms of our defense alignment, interior deepens alignment, occupying offensive lineman. If you're just taking up one for one, well, how many d linemen do we have four? How many offensive lineen do they have five? You're not doing anything in terms of affecting or allowing guys that we need to be our stars, which are the linebackers of this defense to be able to do their jobs.
Speaker 4: What I'll say is, and we talked about pfifth grades yesterday because where they graded Tyler guiding for example, it's not what the film shows, Okay, So we sell that to say, you got to use all of these tools in conjunction with each other, and they're not always going to agree. The film will not always agree with the numbers the numbers, and vice versa. But it's interesting when you talk about Mazzie Smith had a Did he have an above average game?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Did he have a bad game in my opinion, No, he just was there doing present. He will task for doing it right right. He was there for ro Called. He ate up a couple of double teams, and I saw him walk a guy every once in a while and just kind of stay in his space, which is what you want your nose tackle to do. But here's a number that's supported by some of the reps I saw on film for Mozzie Smith, and I got to throw it out there because it's for context. When Mozzie Smith, this is this is per nextion stats. When Mozzi Smith was on the field, the Browns offense averaged three point eight yards per run. Okay, when he was off the field that clicked up to five point two. So when Mozzie Smith was on the field, it was a minus one and a half yard per average difference.
Speaker 1: That's significant. That it is significant.
Speaker 4: So I say that to say keep that in mind when if you're looking at Mozzie Smith through the eyes of I want flashy numbers, the number one, you're not assessing the nose tackle position correctly.
Speaker 1: That's first and foremost.
Speaker 4: Second of all, again, did he have as good a game as I would say Jordan Phillips? No?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Can he improve? Absolutely he can do. I believe he will. I believe you will. It's a long season, second year guy, and now he's learning under a Jordan Phillips and a Linvall Joseph's and stuff like that. But for him to be graded where he was graded by PFF, that's what I disagree with, not saying he had a quote unquote good game, but he had a stable game.
Speaker 5: If I were grading in in like PFF scale where they really they keep it zero to one hundred, but it's mostly between like thirty and eighty, right, I would probably give him like a fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was a stable game.
Speaker 5: I'm not That's the thing. I'm not looking for stable. I'm looking for impactful. He's a first round pick. He's going to play well.
Speaker 4: Sorry, but that's that's future projection, and I understand, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: But if we're at if the question is we're in your two now, if.
Speaker 4: The question is my assessment of Sunday's game, it was a stable game that I expect and hope that he builds upon, and that minus one and a half in when that matters.
Speaker 1: So that matters.
Speaker 3: But again you have to look at that with a grain of salt as well, because he's in there on early downs and they were in a lot of passing situations.
Speaker 1: You can't everything. That's why, that's why I don't always look at just by themselves.
Speaker 6: Five snaps on the run there everything, five total snaps on run defense.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, so it's too small of a sample size.
Speaker 3: I think it's correct, and I'm not. I mean, he still has a long way to go in terms of making an impact. He has a time because he has sixty more games. So I'm looking forward to seeing his development hopefully and his growth. Again, when I used to watch film with myself, there is plenty of times where I'll watch it, I was like, you didn't do anything that anybody else couldn't have done.
Speaker 1: You did your job. You did your job. But there's a bunch of other guys that are capable of doing their job as well. Did you stand out?
Speaker 3: When I'm watching my daughter play soccer and the game's going on and I'm seeing her just be in present, I'm like, hey, I literally say, he naughty impact, that's all impact, And she looks at me and she okay, are you making an impact? Am I doing anything that is affecting the outcome of these plays?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: This made me wonder what is past coverage? Not past coverage, but what his past defense looked like. That's far looked like as far as the sixteen reps, So the sixteen reps that he had, because again, if you're assessing a nose tackle, you want him to be able to eat up those double teams and things like that. Osa had eighteen double teams out of forty five snaps. Cool, you better be scared of Osa. Chauncey Golston had ten. And the only other person outside of Osa and Chauncey who had more double who was double team more was Michael Parsons outside on the edge. So Masi Smith, out of sixteen pass coverage reps, was double team forty four percent of the time. So to that degree he is at least doing that. So this is what I mean when I say stable. Do I want to see more? Absolutely? I want to see more from the former first round pick, and I think we'll get more. But in the assessment of Sunday's game again, was it good?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Was it bad?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: You can't be disappointed. And that's what I'm talking about it. You can't be disappointed because you're to be disappointed means that you're let down from an expectation that you had. I was a little dead what I expected. I was a little disappointed.
Speaker 5: I was not I know, I expect growth from Mazi this year as time goes on.
Speaker 1: I thought it.
Speaker 5: Would look a little bit further along at this point in the season than it did.
Speaker 1: What did you see in camp that would lead you to believe that.
Speaker 5: That's the thing is like little things along the way. You should have seen his camp lash year. He's back to his camp lash.
Speaker 1: He is better than last year. Let's make that statement. He's better.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I don't know if I saw that Week one, I don't know if I saw him better than last year in Week one. Now, granted week one, I keep saying it's the first week of the season. There's a long way to go, but right now, if the season were to end today and we only play one game in the regular.
Speaker 1: Season, I would be disappointed in Mazie's man.
Speaker 5: I would I would feel I would feel like he's just a.
Speaker 1: Lot more talk about after this.
Speaker 5: That is going to do it today for Talking Cowboys, hope you had some fun with us here over the last forty five minutes. For Chris b and Isaiah stand back, Josh Rodriguez Patrick No C. Walker, I'm Kyle Yoman saying so long, We'll see you tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.