Speaker 1: All the State of Ohio has to show is that George was involved in the case at the beginning, and I think the evidence, in my opinion, showed that he was.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing that Kinnepa did strongly was to show a slideshow of each of the victims in the prime of their life and then show him dead in bed.
Speaker 3: But made no mistake about it.
Speaker 4: Those two children in that picture were never going to be raised anything other than Blacker.
Speaker 5: That moment, you know, when you walk for the jury and you talk to them and you try to remind them what is at stake that these people have died. We're talking about eight people that were slaughtered.
Speaker 6: This is the Pithon massacre. Returned to Pike County season four, episode The Verdict is in. I'm Courtney Armstrong, a television producer at Katie Studios. With Stephanie Leidacer and Jeff Shane, we're at the closing arguments of George Wagner, the fourth's trial. It's important to note that George Wagner has pleaded not guilty and has maintained he did not kill anyone. His father, Billy Wagner, whose trial is upcoming, has also pleaded not guilty to all charges. We're n piked in for the final days of trial. We've heard testimony from Jake, Angela and George Wagner. But before we can hear closing arguments, Judge Deering has some news for the jury.
Speaker 7: The jury lard the death penalty against George Wagner. The fourth has been taken off the table. That is the plea deal the prosecution struck with George's brother Jake and his mother Angela in exchange for their testimony.
Speaker 6: After the announcement, the judge addresses the court, Good morning the jury.
Speaker 8: We have reached the point of which council for each side will begining arguments.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Angiekineppa begins their closing arguments.
Speaker 9: I just want to first of all, start by thinking each and every one of you. You guys have probably served at least as far as I know, in the longest of any criminal jury, and each of you have paid strict attention. We are here because eight innocent victims were slaughtered, most of them in their sleep, all of them unarmed. These murders should never have happened.
Speaker 6: Forensic expert Joseph Scott Morgan speaks to the significance of these closing arguments.
Speaker 5: I think they do matter. I think that it's like going to a beautiful concert where there's going to be this grand crescendo, that thing.
Speaker 10: That moves people.
Speaker 5: You better bring it, and it needs to be that thing that is going to resonate with those people. And it's taken all this time, thousands of miles can you imagine that have been traveled all over the place, all the way up to Alaska and back through Canada. All of that culminates in this moment. That moment, you know, when you walk forward the jury and you talk to them and you try to remind them what is at stake that these people have died. We're talking about eight people that were slaughtered.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Kneppa shows photos of the victims on the large screen in the courtroom. She starts with Frankie Rodin and reminds the jury about who he was. She then speaks about Hannah Hazel Gilly.
Speaker 9: Hannah Hazel Gilly very proud of her son, her six month old son. She was all of twenty years old as well at the very beginning of her life and especially her life as a mother. Her crime. You heard testimony that her crime was solely being there, nothing else. If she had not been there, she would still be alive today.
Speaker 6: The defense objects. Prosecutor stopped showing images on the large screen, but she continues speaking about the victims.
Speaker 9: Chris, There's a lot to say about him. He was obviously a family man, provided for his family. But the reason that he was killed is because he was the patriarch of this family and they knew that he would again figure out who did it and potentially seek vengeance.
Speaker 6: Here's James Pilcher, longtime investigative reporter in Cincinnati, now at Local twelves.
Speaker 2: You know one thing that Canepa did strongly. What she tried to do at the beginning was to show a slide show of each of the victims, you know, in the prime of their life, show pictures and then show him dead in bed. Well, that led to objections and then she basically threw that out the window, so she abandoned the slide show, but she still went on to go through here's this victim, here's this victim. I'll aid them, bringing it back to them and bringing it back to the fact that they were asleep.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Canepa touches on all of the evidence presented in trial, laying out the timeline from the beginning and hitting on each piece of evidence tying George Wagner and his immediate family to the murder of the Rodent, Manly and Gilly families.
Speaker 11: Special Prosecutor Angie Gineppa said there was plenty of direct and circumstantial evidence that tied George Wagner the four to the homicide. One example the false statements Wagners gave to investigators that everything was fine between Jake and Hannah rod In when she was killed, but custody over their daughters was at a boiling point.
Speaker 9: Then we see the Facebook message from Hannah May saying that she won't sign papers, that they'll have to kill her first, and we know that in four short months later, she and seven members of her family are dead. We know that in January of twenty sixteen, they had made the decision that they were going to kill them, and you start seeing the purchases corresponding to that timeline. It's hard to imagine that eight people would lose their lives over such a flimz motive, but it's true.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Caneppa reminds the jury of the evidence presented throughout the case, the shoe prints matching George Wagner's at the crime scene, as well as the bullet casings matching the weapons used in the murder.
Speaker 12: We know that.
Speaker 9: George went into that room, and we know that he stepped into blood, and we see it on our diagrams exactly where that was.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Canneppa reminds the jurors of George Wagner's testimony where he claimed he hadn't known that his brother Jake and father Billy were going to murder members of the Rodin, Manly and Gilly families.
Speaker 9: Did you know your family was going to kill these people?
Speaker 12: No happen.
Speaker 6: The prosecution then ties George to the crimes through Jake Wagner and Angela Wagner's testimony.
Speaker 9: George says to Jake, the family has spoken. There is nothing that happens in that household that is not a group decision. Jake and Angela have told you everything that this defendant did that night. I'm not here to say that Jake Wagner is a hero by any stretch of the imagination. He is a despicable, vile human being. But the difference between him and his brother is that he at.
Speaker 6: Least came full Kinnepa acknowledges that when George took the stand, he disputed what his brother and mother testified about him.
Speaker 9: You've heard Jake and your mother both say that that was the motive, and my.
Speaker 13: Mom and brother are lying to you.
Speaker 6: They have been like everybody else.
Speaker 9: Angela Wagner, this is her son. Ask yourself what motive would she have to say that George was involved? If George wasn't involved, why would you when we got to your son, you would say, Jake, Billy.
Speaker 12: And I did it.
Speaker 14: Despite all the evidence presented by prosecutors, it could come down to who the jury believes, Jake and Angela or defendant George.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Kinneppa addresses Jake and Angela Wagner's testimony head on.
Speaker 9: So let's talk about Jake and Angela's testimony. Jake Wagner gave us a lot of information. His testimony was corroborated by physical evidence. He led us to the murder weapons. So again, what Jake had to tell us was corroborated with physical evidence that we didn't know about. It was also corroborating with physical evidence we did know about. Then we talked to Angela Wagner, and she corroborates what Jake Wagner told us. They basically corroborate each other. And the magical and mystical thing about that is, as you heard, she was not provided with her son's statement. She had no idea what he said to us when he sat down.
Speaker 6: With us again, James Pilcher.
Speaker 2: One of the points she made very clearly was Jake and Angela had no chance to corroborate none. They couldn't see each other's statements. They're in separate jails. They couldn't talk, they couldn't watch each other's testimony. Nothing. How come their stories line up so well versus what George had to say, and they're both saying the same thing or close enough to the same thing, whereas George is saying something completely different. Who are you going to believe? And then on top of that, she makes a point it's one thing for a brother to testify against a brother, but it's another thing for a mother to testify against her funt, even as she says she loves it. That came across as very compelling.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Karnepa argues that Jake and Angela Wagner's testimony matches, especially on one key point.
Speaker 9: Both Jake and Angela tell you they are guilty. Jake is guilty, Angela is guilty. They don't deny that, they don't lie about that. The reason their stories match is because they both finally decided to tell the truth.
Speaker 6: Here's attorney and legal analyst Mike Allen.
Speaker 1: I think the credibility goes with Angela because George any number of times just said I don't recall, I don't remember. I didn't count him up, but there are a lot of times that he said that, and I don't recall hearing that in Angela or Jake's testimony for that matter. It was just pretty straightforward. So I think if you didn't have the physical evidence and it's George against those two, I think they win and George doesn't because a lot of things he didn't remember, and he contradicted himself on a number of occasions.
Speaker 6: Well, George Wagner appeared calm during his testimony on the stand. Prosecutor Kanepa reminds the jury of the wires app recording of George.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would strongly invite you to listen to that recording again and ask yourselves if that is the voice, or the demeanor, or the attitude or the approach of somebody who would ever sit one out again.
Speaker 2: James Pilcher, I will say Kneppa did kind of bring it home early on when she said you saw George up on the stand, but then you also heard George on these recordings. Well, the real George Wagner, please stand up. Those are my words, not hers. But basically she's saying, the real George Wagner is not the one that was all to help on the stand. He was coached, he was whatever he was. The real George Wagner is the one you hear in those recordings who's a for all intents and purposes as a madman.
Speaker 9: He indicated to you that a few days before the homicides that Billy told George that he wanted George to shoot Chris in the head. He went up there to Union Hill Road on April twenty first, twenty sixteen, knowing for well what was going to happen.
Speaker 6: Well, George may not have pulled the trigger during the murders. The prosecution contends that doesn't matter to prove conspiracy to murder.
Speaker 9: He doesn't have to be the person that actually pulled the trigger. Right. You heard that Jake Wagner pled to eight counts of aggravated murder because he pulled the trigger as to five according to him, but he was complicit in remaining three. You heard Angela Wagner say that she also was guilty of eight counts of aggravated murder because she was complicit in it because she knew what they were going to do. She ate it and embedded them. You were complicit because you knew what was going to happen. You knew what they were going to go do, and you aided and abedded them.
Speaker 6: Here's Jeff speaking with.
Speaker 14: Mike gallon something she really hammered home.
Speaker 15: Which I think is important to remind the listeners is that George could still be found guilty of murder even if he didn't pull the trigger under Ohio law, like, as long as he's involved in the planning and the cover up, that's enough to find him guilty.
Speaker 1: All the State of Ohio has to show is that George was involved in the case at the beginning, and I think the evidence, in my opinion, showed that he was in the beginning and then he was part of the execution of the crime. And I think that's clear that he was a part of it and a part of the cover up, and that gets you into the complicity part of it.
Speaker 13: And that's all you need for a murder conviction. I mean, you don't have to.
Speaker 1: Show and they couldn't show, and they didn't show that George pulled the trigger because he didn't, but he was in it up to his neck, and I think that was clear at the end of all the testimony and evidence, and Miss Kinneppitt really kind of just hit on all of those points in her closing.
Speaker 6: The prosecution also spoke to the plea deal given to Jake in exchange for his testimony.
Speaker 9: Mister Parker has called this the deal of the century for Jake Wagner, the deal of the century. But let's just talk a little bit about that. First of all, he played guilty to every count of the indictment except for the death telling specifications, which we dismissed in exchange for him telling us what happened. Not just telling us what happened. But you heard from Special Agent Shier that the victim's family was consulted in this and as you might imagine if this was somebody that you loved, you would want to know what happened more than any think some of them got the peace of mind they were looking for because their loved one was sleeping. Some of them did not, but they wanted to know, and they wanted us to do the deal.
Speaker 1: Again, Mike Allan, Obviously from their conduct in the court room, there's close relationships between the prosecutor and the Rodent family. I don't think they have any problem at all with the deals that were made in this case. But in any homicide case, you have to get buy in from the victim's family, and I think that's what.
Speaker 13: She did here.
Speaker 1: I see a lot of cooperation and a lot of admiration too, So I don't have any doubt that Angie Kneppa consulted, probably at length with the Rodent family before they cut the deal with Jake and Angela.
Speaker 6: After nearly five hours, Prosecutor Kanepa finishes her closing argument.
Speaker 9: I know this was very, very long. I just wanted to kind of try my best to kind of lay a foundation of the evidence that we believe supports a conviction of George Wagner. The fourth of each and every count in this indictment, whether he is a principal offender or whether he is exquisite in it. He knew what was going to happen. He participated in what happened. Jake and Angela have told you everything that this defendant did that night and his participation in the aggravator murders and all the other crimes listed in the indictment. Respectfully, class that weturn verdicts of guilty as to each count into each specification. Thank you.
Speaker 6: The day of the trial ends with prosecutor Canepa's closing argument. Here's Mike Allen, followed by investigative reporter an Jeannette Levy of the Law and Crime Network.
Speaker 1: The defense has to make the points that they want to make, and they also have to counter what the prosecutor says in closing argument.
Speaker 16: I think that Jake and Angela's testimony, coupled with the wiretops that do not bode well for George. He still sounds like he's in the thick of this and he knows exactly what's going on. You would think.
Speaker 17: That that would just be very difficult for the defense to overcome, for them to come into court and feel confident that they were going to somehow poken up holes in Jake and Angela's testimony to make George not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Speaker 6: We're going to take a break. We'll be back in a moment. The next day, the defense delivers their closing remarks. John Parker opens with a joke about how he's not going to go as long as the state did. In his closing remarks, Parker then goes after the state's key witnesses, Jake and Angela Wagner.
Speaker 18: Angela and Jake, he's a mama's boy.
Speaker 19: You heard testimony about that.
Speaker 18: They're liars, they're connors, they're thieves.
Speaker 6: Defense attorney Parker brings up Jake's character there laughing.
Speaker 20: And smiling and smirking as he's talking about these murders.
Speaker 9: He's cold bloater.
Speaker 21: I think he's psychotic.
Speaker 13: He didn't see that care in the world.
Speaker 18: It's like sitting around talking about a football game on Monday morning.
Speaker 20: Is the way he's.
Speaker 21: Talking about killing these people. It's disgusting.
Speaker 13: He's a sick man.
Speaker 4: You can't believe what that guy says.
Speaker 6: The defense hits again on an argument that they've used repeatedly throughout the trial that the evidence tying George Wagner to the murderers is at best circumstantial.
Speaker 18: There's no proof here beyond your reasonable doubt, that George was even up there, and we could offer him nothing for his testimony. He was vigorously cross examined. You saw his demeanor. Compare that to Jinks and his mother. He's no testimony. George is the shooter. There's no reliable testimony that.
Speaker 21: He was even there.
Speaker 18: This has to be proven beyond the reasonable that there's all kinds of reasons to doubt.
Speaker 6: Parker then to dismantle the state's argument that the Wagoners are a walking criminal conspiracy.
Speaker 18: The state in this case that you have seen with respect to George, paints with.
Speaker 9: A very very broadbrush. All right, how many times have.
Speaker 22: We heard they them?
Speaker 19: You guys, the Wagners?
Speaker 21: All right?
Speaker 9: George is one's about trial here, all right.
Speaker 18: We are not here to defend Billy, we are not here to defend Angela.
Speaker 23: We're certainly not here to defend James, all right.
Speaker 13: And basically, I.
Speaker 22: Mean there were days and days that went by when you didn't hear Georgie's name, and that's significant.
Speaker 6: Parker has the jury to return a verdict of not guilty on all charges.
Speaker 22: You folks stand between the power of the government and the man with George Waite, so you've seen the power of the government, and in this particular case, they've over when it comes to Georgia.
Speaker 6: Mike Allen offers his thoughts to how the defense did on closing arguments.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he did as well as he could. And his closing argument did not take five hours, But he did as well as he could with what he had, which wasn't a heck of a lot.
Speaker 13: He just didn't, you know.
Speaker 1: He called the state's witnesses liars, con artist mainly Jake and Angela really hit Jake card and really, I mean, that's pretty much all he had. When you're a defense counsel, you get the case that you get and you're not going to be able to change things factually. So the short answer is, I think they did as well as they could.
Speaker 6: After the defense rests, Andrew Wilson delivers the prosecution's rebuttal.
Speaker 3: The concept of complicity works in Ohio is that two or.
Speaker 4: More people set out to achieve a criminal.
Speaker 3: Purpose a criminal goal, when one doing one part and others doing the other part.
Speaker 4: Then each one of them is individually guilty as if they were the principal offender Festimal.
Speaker 3: That's how it works.
Speaker 4: There's been no direct testimony that he actually pulled the trigger and any.
Speaker 21: One of those murders. But you better believe he's up to his eyeballs as they plot, as they prepare, as they execute, and as they cover up those murders.
Speaker 19: He's in it up to his islands.
Speaker 1: The prosecution has a huge advantage, and boy, I tell you, I think they utilized it in this case.
Speaker 13: To where they get the final word.
Speaker 1: They get to address the jury after the defense does their closing argument. It's done because the state has the burden of proof.
Speaker 13: That's why they get the last fight at the apple. Having been a defense counsel and having been.
Speaker 1: A prosecutor, that I can tell you that's a huge advantage for the state prosecutor.
Speaker 6: Wilson addresses Shake and Angela Wagner's testimony they matched.
Speaker 4: The only way that happens without her knowing what he said is if they're telling the truth about.
Speaker 9: What they observed, what they knew.
Speaker 6: Wilson goes on to address Jake and his testimony.
Speaker 21: He's not our star witness.
Speaker 4: He's a terrible, terrible human being. He's equal, and he's going to spend the rest of his miserable existence locked in a cage. He's going to spend the rest of his life separated from what.
Speaker 21: Means most of him, his family.
Speaker 4: He will never be free again. And as incredibly distasteful as it was, the state entered into an agreement with Jake for one night.
Speaker 3: We needed one thing of guns. That's what we need from him.
Speaker 4: Him leading us to those guns was incredibly important.
Speaker 6: Wilson also reveals while the prosecution didn't play the tape of George Wagner's interview at the Canadian border again James Pilcher, and.
Speaker 2: That was because they didn't want that tape to serve as his own testimony and his own denial. If he was going to deny it, he was going to have to deny it from the stand, and they didn't want to give him the opportunity to tailor his testimony to what he said at that point, which was key too, because he did have a major inconsistency between what he said at the border versus what he said on the stand. At the border, he said he went to bed about some time after midnight after watching the Ferry movie whatever. But then on the stand, he said he went to bed before ten with the Hits, and yeah, he should have heard them leave, but he didn't. He usually stays up an hour after he goes to bed, and somehow I didn't hear Jake and Billy Leaves didn't even know they had gone. So that was a major inconsistency. And Wilson brought that home in his clothing.
Speaker 6: Andrew Wilson then shows a photo of the Wagner family with all the kids.
Speaker 4: Why don't you look at this picture, man, This picture speaks volumes. It speaks volumes. They don't want you to believe that this case is about custom, that these murders had anything to do about custom.
Speaker 3: But maybe no mistake about it.
Speaker 4: Those two children in that picture were never going to be raised anything other than why men.
Speaker 2: They wanted control of those kids, and that's what this was all about. It started with George's son with Tabitha and getting control over that little boy. And it was the same thing about Jake's daughter with Hannah. But Hannah had a support system, Hannah had a family, and they were going to fight back.
Speaker 6: Wilson closes out the prosecution's rebuttal with one final thought.
Speaker 9: He is guilty. He's guilty.
Speaker 3: And when you make that fine, when you look at all that evidence, he's guilty. At that point, byball, you're required to find him guilty. And that's what he'll do, because that's.
Speaker 23: What he is.
Speaker 2: Andy Wilson's rebuttal closing, I mean, everybody who watched it was like, I think that just sealed the deal. He answered every outstanding question defense had raised to a t. He was enthusiastic, he was forceful.
Speaker 6: Forensic expert Joseph Scott Morgan agrees.
Speaker 5: When that bailiff causes that jury to rise, and you better leave an impression on when they go back there, and that big crescendo is what you want. It's one of the oldest cliches that prosecutors used. And they'll say things like, do not let their desks be in vain. Hold these people accountable for what they have done, snuffing out these lives in the most horrific way possible, These people who have scarred our county forever and ever and ever for generations to come. Hold them accountable. And they might even throw in God they'll say, you know, someday they'll be judged by God, but right now is your time to judge them upon.
Speaker 21: What they have done.
Speaker 6: Before the day ends, Judge Dearing gives instructions to the jury. The next morning, at eight thirty am, the jury begins deliberations.
Speaker 2: After a two and a half year investigation, after a three and a half month trial, the longest criminal trial in the history of Ohio, the most expensive trial in the history of Ohio, it is now in the hands of nine women and three men, the twelve jurors.
Speaker 1: Generally speaking, if they're out for a short period of time, if they're not out long, that's good for the state, the prosecution. If the longer they go, it's better for the defense because you know they're thinking about it. Then the other thing too, The longer they go, the better chance that they will have a hung jury, which is a victory for the defense attorney.
Speaker 6: With the fate of George Wagner in the jury's hands, all the defense and prosecution can do is wait.
Speaker 15: What are those hours like? It must be so tense.
Speaker 13: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: They are the slowest hours in a trial lawyer's life, from when a jury begins to deliberate until when they come up with a verdict.
Speaker 13: You stay around your office and then just kind.
Speaker 1: Of like dwell on it and it's just hard to concentrate on anything else. It's kind of brutal. But on the other hand, it's exciting too, because you know, then you get back in the courtroom and the jury walks in and you know you're looking at whether they look in the eye, and you know then they'll give their verdicts. So it's tough, but it's also exciting. I guess it's the best way to put it.
Speaker 6: Two and a half hours into deliberation, the jury asked to see Judge Jeering.
Speaker 2: There were some rumblings when that note came out with the question. There was a couple of people who thought it might have been a verdict and we're like, no, it wasn't the case. So some false information got put out there. Initially ended at about eleven they sent down a question and apparently went on the record and they'd asked the transcript of Jake's testimony, or at least just a part of it, and Judge Deering said, no, you have to get all of it, and I'm going to want you to read all of it, because it's not fair to exact certain excerpts, especially if you're just going to look at one part from the direct examination and not look at what the cross examination was. That wouldn't be fair, takes it out of context. And he said, to be to be honest, it's not fair, and if you're going to do this, really I should make you read the transcripts of all of the witnesses. But even if it's just shake, it's seven hundred and fifty seven hundred and sixty pages.
Speaker 6: The jury goes back to deliberating.
Speaker 2: Then about four o'clock on Wednesday, we were notified that they had a verdict, and we're like, wow, that was very very quick. So that's like seven hours, you know, less than seven hours of deliberation if you count their breaks, and probably took them at least thirty minutes to an hour to sign all the forms because there's twenty two forms that all twelve had to sign for all twenty two charges.
Speaker 16: The bailiff came upstairs and he went back into the judges chambers, and then he came out and he looked over at a couple of us sitting in the gallery and said be ready in twenty five minutes. I said, what a verdict in twenty five minutes? And he said, there's a verdict in twenty five minutes, and I just tweeted it out immediately.
Speaker 6: The jury enters the courtroom, a.
Speaker 16: Lot of people will say, Oh, if the jurors come in and they don't look at the defendant, that means it's a guilty verdict, And if they come in and they look at the defendant, it's a not guilty verdict.
Speaker 6: The clerk hands the verdict forms to Judge Daring. He reads the jury's verdict.
Speaker 8: Verdict does to count one. It says, we the jury find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, George Washington Wager the fourth is guilty of aggravated murder has charged in count one of the indictment. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is that your verdict yet.
Speaker 6: Again?
Speaker 24: Antonette Leeby, when the first guilty verdict was read, you heard kind of a noise, a gasp, but almost like a cry of sorts, and that came from the road and family, and.
Speaker 16: I feel like that was some type of big, you know, a sense of relief on their part. There were a lot of tears. I think these were tiers of relief. It's like an emotional release. You know, you're sitting there, waiting and waiting. You've been sitting there for all of these weeks, looking at horrible things, hearing horrible things, seeing horrible things, and I think they knew collectively when that first guilty verdict was read, they were all going to be guilty.
Speaker 6: Judge Daring continues reading the verdict. George Wagner has found guilty on all eight murder charges. He has also found guilty of aggravated burglary, conspiracy, gun charges, and tampering with evidence for a total of twenty two charges. George Wagner's reaction to the verdict was similar to his demeanor throughout the trial.
Speaker 15: George Wagner showed no emotion.
Speaker 2: No, this is lawyer John Parker. Could He shook his hair, kind of nodded and you know, seemed a little upset, but no, George showed absolutely no emotion. He just kept his eyes down.
Speaker 16: I think George Wagner, when they brought him in and just looking at his face.
Speaker 24: He knew, he knew that he was going to be.
Speaker 16: Convicted, and I felt like I just saw his eyes kind of blink, just, you know, briefly and kind of quickly.
Speaker 24: Once the first guilty verdict was.
Speaker 6: Read, Judge Daring said George Wagner, sentencing for December nineteenth. After the verdict, the Rodent family gives a press conference speaking on their behalf as Tony Roden Chris Roden, Senior's brother.
Speaker 25: I would like to thank the citizens of the state of Ohio for barreness, burden that should have never happened to this family in southern a little bit of peace.
Speaker 19: We still have a long route to go.
Speaker 25: We'll get there because we are family the party.
Speaker 19: We're gonna go.
Speaker 6: Home a little easier tonight.
Speaker 26: We're gon.
Speaker 13: We don't take for granted anymore. We love but once we got and never let go.
Speaker 6: If you never A reporter asked the Rodent family their thoughts on George Wagner. Here's Tony Roden's response.
Speaker 19: I feel sorry for him.
Speaker 13: Why is that?
Speaker 9: Why?
Speaker 22: Why?
Speaker 19: Because he is human?
Speaker 13: How do you find the humanity time like this when he did so much to your family?
Speaker 19: I think we all have human in us. There's just a difference in us.
Speaker 6: The prosecution also gives a statement to the press and the Rodent, Wagner and Gilly families. Here's Andrew Kneppa, followed by Rob Junk from the State.
Speaker 9: You guys have trusted us with your lives and the lives of your loved ones, and I know today's verdict does not bring your loved ones back. I know that, but I do hope that it gives you some some lens of peace that yet another one of the evil monsters that did this to your family have been held accountable.
Speaker 20: Justice was done, and again they heard the voices of our eight victims today. The jury listened. They understood we could never ever ever bring them back. But I can tell you that good Lord Willing George Wagner the fourth will never be in a position to hurt anyone ever ever.
Speaker 13: Again.
Speaker 6: Journalists and legal experts who have been following the case for years weighing on the verdict.
Speaker 16: Antinette Levy, I wasn't completely surprised when they came back with guilty verdicts because it was so fast the way that I read the indictment. If you're guilty of one murder, you've got to be guilty of all of them. You know that it's a conspiracy case, and all of these homicides happened on the same night. So if the theory is that all three of the guys were there, Billy, Jake, and George, and these homicides were committed and carried out that night. Under the law, if he's complicit with the complicity instruction that was given to the jury, then he's guilty of everything unless there's a compromise.
Speaker 6: After the guilty verdict, George Wagner is taken back to jail where he will wait until he is sentenced. Let's stop here for another break. December nineteenth is the day George Wagner is to be sentenced for the murders of the Rodent, Manly and Gilly family members.
Speaker 14: Even if Judge Randy Dearing does stack a minimum possible sentence of thirty years. Concurrently, Wagner still faces significant time for sixteen other charges.
Speaker 10: With the sentencing arse state rots yes, don't sure, yes.
Speaker 6: Prosecutor Angie Kinnepa begins her sentencing remarks.
Speaker 9: It has been said far and often that this is one of the most serious aggregated murders of the.
Speaker 23: State of Ohio.
Speaker 9: Not that any murder, of course, comes without pain and horror for those killed and those left to hide. But the killing of eight people in such a premitedicated fashion for literally no reason, and all in one night, I would suggest, does make this one of the most serious aggregating murder cases Ohio has seen today. I urge the court to focus specifically and mainly on that impact to the families when fashioning sentence in this case. And this is the unjustified, unprovoked, horrible senses killing them eight innocent people. We urge the court from post eight consecutive life without choral sentences regarding the murder of each of these lives and Jimpoe's maximum and consecutive sentences to each of the remaining accounts as well. The defendant in the sentencing memory and then begs for merci. He shared no mercy for the victims who just wanted to live. They have no one to beg for their lives for Demand's d process. He is a judged jury and executioner in their lives. He deserves no mercy.
Speaker 14: In pre sentenced motions, Wagner's lawyers asked for a sentence which would give him the possibility of a parole. The prosecution asked for the maximum possible life without parole, and for the eight murder counts to be served consecutively with.
Speaker 6: Pre sentencing motions over Prosecutor Krenepa tells the court that members of the Rodent, Manly, and Gilly families are going to deliver their victim impact statements.
Speaker 14: James Pilcher, a jury of nine women and three men took less than eight hours to find George Wagner the Fourth guilty on all twenty two charges for his role in the twenty sixteen Pike County massacre. Now Wagner must not only face his punishment, but the survivors from the Rodent, Gilly and Manly families. They get their first opportunity to address a Wagner directly about the crimes.
Speaker 6: Ten family members give statements in person or through victims advocates. Here's Andrea's Shoemaker, mother of Hannah Hazel Gilly.
Speaker 23: George Bidener the fourth, one of you introduced myself. You see, you said you're enough that.
Speaker 27: You never met my father, Hannah Hazel Gilly. I'm a mom, Andre a shoemaker.
Speaker 23: I stand here today to be her voice, since you.
Speaker 26: George Wadener the Fourth and your evil family took her.
Speaker 28: Frankie rod I shoon to be son in law, the young man that gave me.
Speaker 23: My first grandson.
Speaker 28: I love you have for my beautiful baby girl, Hanna Hazel was what was your two sons a heart as for you son.
Speaker 23: My gan grandson was made an orphan in one night.
Speaker 12: I see the.
Speaker 29: Pain of he mars for a dad sad and it is something he won't.
Speaker 28: Do for the work of his life, his one his daddy and Hannah Hazel Billy, my best girl.
Speaker 21: Only the age of twy.
Speaker 12: Got me mad.
Speaker 23: Who fell in with the love.
Speaker 28: With a young man, Drankie Braiden, the love of Hannah Hazel Billy's life. Annah Hazel was the first of my children to give me the blessing of becoming a man all.
Speaker 12: Hannah Hannah Hazel Billy was.
Speaker 23: Her first time mom to her beautiful son, and what a mommy she was. She loved her son with her whole heart and for her.
Speaker 27: Generally had six months six months of his life. That is the one thing she wanted to see in her whole young life is to watch him grow up.
Speaker 23: My baby girl. I miss you beyond words.
Speaker 12: Another life take him way too soon, but will never be forgotten.
Speaker 27: Haname was such an innocent young lady, a great mother to two beautiful girls.
Speaker 23: I watch your baby girl more.
Speaker 12: More to know who her mommy was.
Speaker 23: I answer questions that should have never had to be asked in the first place.
Speaker 6: My heart is for ever broken that she and.
Speaker 23: Her sister will never knew the mommy.
Speaker 26: The list of victims gets longer.
Speaker 23: The eight lives are just the ones no longer on this earth.
Speaker 12: We are we have. It's a new family.
Speaker 28: The Gilly Manlies and the Romans have all suffered. We are all suffering, hurting, always heartbroken, forever without our children, all because the devils, like the dark Devil's hunt at night, just like you, George Wagner the Fourth and your evil family did on Friday April the twenty first and twenty.
Speaker 23: Seconds of twenty and sixteen.
Speaker 27: All I want is my baby girl, Hannah Hazel, and that I will never have. I only agree to the state because I want all these older families to get justice on earth while they're still here, because of the fact that Gary's dad, Dana's dad, and my dad didn't get.
Speaker 23: Their justice while on this earth.
Speaker 27: And I pray to God that your son learns.
Speaker 23: What kind of a monster you really are.
Speaker 12: And he never wants anything to do with you.
Speaker 23: And I pray Judge dry they used.
Speaker 28: To get turned out at the Doorge partner, the force really is and my kids up.
Speaker 23: But with my life of prisons.
Speaker 6: Here's Kenja Rodin, daughter of Kenny Rodin.
Speaker 26: As I seen here today, I know I should fills the piece. I should have peace because you have been found building on all twenty counts. I should go relief that justice is being served, but there is no real justice and piece is not a feeling I have. Hannahme was my peace, and because of you and your family, she is gone eight life sneaking in so many more. Traumatized by the horrendous acts committed by.
Speaker 23: The lack of family.
Speaker 26: For months, I was riddled with questions of whom and why. I tried to find souls, in the belief that most of my family members i'd instantly them being shot in the head.
Speaker 23: Unfortunately that was not true.
Speaker 26: When SIGNED found my father's like this body the corner seated.
Speaker 12: My father died within minutes.
Speaker 23: I'm being shot.
Speaker 30: Minutes, not seconds. So now I'm like wondering for how long did he remain conscious? Conscious? Did he feel the pain? How long was he conscious for knowing his death was imminent and there was nothing he could do. What went through his mind in those.
Speaker 26: Moments that I imagined felt like hours as she died alone? What about Hannah, maa she liked next to her nurse and infant. Did she die in fear not knowing what would happen to her child? How long did she like there helplessly knowing she could do nothing to protect her infant from the evil the storm front, the storm through her home that night. The questions were accompanied by nightmare's night after night, lack of sleep. Really crazy, I thought I could not escape it. Every time I closed my eyes, I was taken back to that horrific moments I find.
Speaker 23: Out that my family was murdered.
Speaker 26: I'd beg for anything to stop and ever a new pain and grief, to the point I nearly ended my own life and December twenty seventeen. In twenty eighteen, I had my daughter. It should have been a moment filled with nothing but joy. Instead, it was filled with heartache, knowing my father would never hold my daughter. Now, as I plan for my wedding, I dread walking down the aisle because my father will not be walking with you. Or handing me over as a father should.
Speaker 23: I won't look over to the.
Speaker 26: Bride's nids and see hand of me as my maid of honor. I won't see Frankie and the crowd making some sort.
Speaker 23: Of commotion to make me laugh and call my nurse.
Speaker 26: Christopher won't be there as the life of the party, making me a scene as his usual gifty. So you see, eight lives were taken in the most brutal ways that many more lives were stolen. You took moments that were no more years to take.
Speaker 23: Than the life you and your family took.
Speaker 26: I am sorry you never got to know the unconditional love of a mother and father, but it does not excuse your participation in the grim murders your family committed.
Speaker 23: As a whole.
Speaker 26: My family and I are not asking for your demise, but I do ask that you receive the mexicinality. It is not justice, but I believe in my heart it is the closest we can get.
Speaker 6: Here's Frankie Rhoden's former girlfriend and mother of their son.
Speaker 31: My first little statement is actually one that my son has written with himself a victim of the ninth. It was now since turn pay I find myself wondering why you killed my daddy. There are things that make me sad because I can't learn from him. He could have taught me stuff like working on Derby cars and kum hunting. My mommy tried, but it's not as good as Daddy was. I have been scared since that night, knowing bad guys came into my house while I was sleeping. I'm always scared now that I will lose my mommy. You did that to me.
Speaker 23: I just wanted you that I hate you with your family. Those are the words.
Speaker 9: Of a ten year old boy.
Speaker 31: For him to tell me he watches daddy's can fall while he tried to wake him up because his baby brother screaming is traumatic itself, but Knowingdaddy has seen stuff hurts my heart so much. The sleepless nights, the panic attacks, and constant worry is so it's you and your family did that.
Speaker 9: This is history and I'm just living it.
Speaker 31: We may have been friends in the past, but for you to get up here on that stand and take an oath and.
Speaker 9: Still why with me, excuse me, I don't know.
Speaker 21: I hope you burn in hell.
Speaker 23: George.
Speaker 31: I will say, there's one thing I have learned is that God wants us to forgive, and maybe one day I will forgive you, But at this time I just can't thank your honor.
Speaker 6: Here's April Manly, Danna Roaden's sister in law.
Speaker 23: As I stand here today, I realize I'm standing here for my father in law, Lendard Sue. Leonard caught a short fight with liver cancer. All he wanted to do was be with these baby girl, Dana Roading and make sure she was okay. For that reason, he would and fight for his life. Leonard would tell us time and time again that he was sorry for leaving us, but he just couldn't walk this world without Dana any longer. He made me promise that I would see these trials through, that I would be at every court day. So here I stand today, at the end of one of them. I don't only stand here for Winter but myself as well. You see, James Manley and I would be married twenty eight years this week. The Rugnans are also in my family, but in heart as well.
Speaker 12: I was.
Speaker 23: Made of honor at day on Chris's wedding. I be beset Freakie Hannah Little Chris from the time I was born, until they was old enough to stay by themselves. Even after they was old enough to look after themselves, I would still see them daily. That's why I referred to them my babies. Then comes the morning of April twenty second, two sevenenty sixteen, where all of our life changed forever and will never be the same again. Not one, not to but eight family members were taken away from us. It was like the bottom fell out of my soul. Hundreds of people around me, but I felt like I watched this warm the line to this day, my husband said, streaming to us and asleep, s tell anything. He called that. You know, my stepson was never afraid of the dark. He is now fifteen years old and still't won't go outside by himself after dark.
Speaker 21: He says that they came in the darkness took them.
Speaker 19: All the way.
Speaker 23: Before that night. He was never afraid. I hope George Wagner spends the rest of his life in prison without seeing your loved ones for the rest of your life, just like you made sure we went and see ours. I hope you feel the loneliness and the emptiness that we feel for the rest of your life. And I have one last wish for you, George said, you and your family made shoe. You were the last ones to see our family a lie. I hope every night, when you close your eyes, you see them eight faces, and I hope they hotch for the rest of your life.
Speaker 6: Lisa, niece to Chris and kind of Roden goes next.
Speaker 12: Growing up, our parents tell us monsters do not exist, but I had come to know that as a lie. In my adult life. There are so many moments that have made an impactful me greatly over the last eight years six years.
Speaker 21: Sorry, but a few.
Speaker 12: Of this moments are very aful moments that I will forever remember, vividly going into a funeral home and seeing a caskets lying along the wall of our loved ones. Walking into that room with my family, hearing the streams from my mother's, my aunt and my uncles while trying to hold him up because the leagus gave away. Six years and eight months later, we still had these unbearable moments where we feel like we could just break, knowing the callous way they.
Speaker 23: Were taken from us.
Speaker 12: Who would not only lose her mommy on April twenty seconds, but she lost all of her immediate family, and then on November the thirteenth, twenty eighteen, she lost her dad's side of her immediate family. Regardless of the monsters they are, she still had a bond. The devastation it impact well forever, way heavy on her for the rest of Hawaii. I've tried to wrap my head around why my family was given death sentences, but nothing will justify the why. My cousin Hanname was given a death sent because she was a strong old mother who wanted to raise your daughter and continue to grow her family outside the Wagner's control. My cousin Jared Dannah Hazel, little Chris, and I hate name him, I was given a dossance for just simply being there. My cousin Frank, my uncle Chris Michael Kenneth were given adescence for being the protectors of our family.
Speaker 23: No man justice.
Speaker 12: Given in this court will come close to what is deserved. But this man deserves nothing less than to spend the rest of his life in prison.
Speaker 6: Tony Rowden, brother of Chris Sior and Kenneth Roden, speaks last by reading a statement from his mother, Geneva Rodin.
Speaker 21: George Wadener, you or He'll breathing on two signs are not breathing. My grandchildren.
Speaker 14: Are not breathing.
Speaker 21: They are all children left behind. I'd just like to see some justice.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 26: Jong.
Speaker 6: With all of the impact statements heard, Judge Randy Dearing addresses the court.
Speaker 10: Mister Wagner, is there any reason that you want to state is the white sentence should not be pronounced and imposed immediate?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is there anything that you wish to say on your own behalf or any information you wish to provide and mitigation?
Speaker 6: The judge then prepares to hand down the sentence.
Speaker 8: First of all, no sentence that the court man posed in this case would right the wrong that has been inflicted upon the victous and the families. Murder is a is an irreversible act. The Court does find that these murders do constitute the worst form of the offense, and the Court quite frankly finds that defendate has shown no remorse, just denial. The courts considered all of these facts, is the course required to consider and is ready to impose sentence.
Speaker 10: So, mister Wagner, and I ask you to stand.
Speaker 6: George Wagner stands home.
Speaker 32: Count one of the indictment for the offensive aggravated murder in violation Section two nine zero three point oh one A of the Revised Code, the victim of that offense being Kenneth Roden. The court by sentences you to serve a mandatory term of life imprisonment without parole.
Speaker 6: George Wagner is sentenced to life in prison without parole for all eight aggravated murder charges. Judge Jeering then hands down sentences for fourteen additional counts.
Speaker 8: The aggregate of this sentence is eighth consecutive terms of life imprisonment without parole plus.
Speaker 9: One hundred and twenty one years.
Speaker 8: Eighty one years of which are mandatory anything for if not done yard journey.
Speaker 6: The final few charges can be served concurrently, but in the end the full sentence is for eight consecutive life sentences in prison plus one hundred and twenty one years in prison, to be served consecutively. The prosecution agrees with the sentence.
Speaker 33: We're satisfied with it. The most important thing was getting those eight life without paroles. George Wagner, the fourth will never be in a position to hurt anyone ever again. I'm just happy for a family that they got to see this. They actually got some justice.
Speaker 6: At this point, George Wagner could file an appeal. Jake Wagner is serving life without parole. Angela Wagner is sentenced to be in prison until she is eighty years old. Billy Wagner is next to go to trial for the murders.
Speaker 5: Now all eyes are on Billy Wagner, the dad who faces the same charges that George faced.
Speaker 32: Billy's trial is still expected to happen at some point next year.
Speaker 24: You's been such a long, awful road for you all.
Speaker 16: I'm sure you're feeling a lot of emotions, but can you give us any sense of what you're feeling just right now?
Speaker 19: A little bit of peace. We still have a long road to go. We'll get there. It's we are family.
Speaker 14: Are that this is now put russure on Billy to complete guilty.
Speaker 12: We can only hope.
Speaker 6: As the season comes to a close, we felt it was important to have one of the Rodent family members have the last word. On December nineteenth, twenty twenty two, Chris Senior and Kenneth's brother Tony Roden made a statement in court. His words remind us of the strength, love and loyalty that encompasses not just the victim, but those they left behind.
Speaker 21: I lost two brothers, Chris Rodin Senor Kenneth Roden. I also lost a niece, Anna Rodin. Also lost two nephews, Frankie Rodin, Chris Rodin Julie. I also lost a cousin, Gary Rogan. I also lost a sister in law, Daniel Roaden Manon. I also lost my nephew, Frankie's fiance, Hannah Hazel Guilty. I have so many memories of my brother Chris that I wish I could put them all down on paper, so whoever hears this today could see through my memories how my brother Chris really was carrier, gracious, loving family man and come. My brother Kenneth, my mom's son. As a young boy, he would always hang out with me and my other brothers, Chris, Stephen, and Brady. Loved old cars and old trucks.
Speaker 14: Even at a young.
Speaker 21: Loved his family and he always showed it. When he married, he adopted two kids, loved him as his own. My cousin Gary, my mom's nephew. He would always help people. I would be working with him, we would stop at store to get something to drink. I'd say, Gary, go in and get us something to drink, and he would, but he also bought lottery tickets out of my money. Loved his family. His life cut short by selfie shacks of other My sister in law, damn, my mom's daughter in law always spoke her mind. She would come to my house and tell me what I needed to do at my own house. When she walked in a room with other people in it, she would always have people laughing. She loved people, and it showed she loved her family, would do anything for them. Her life cut short by selfish acts of others. On November the thirteenth, twenty and eighteen, there was an arrest in the murders of my family. The same year, around Christmas time, my sister woman played phone pad back and forth trying to get the authorities to let and spend Christmas dinner at our family. So it happened, and all the kids just loved them. And at this Christmas dinner or Mom was handing out presents to her younger grandchildren and her great grandchildren. Pictures were being taken and then his name is called. He walks up to Mom. She puts him on her lap. She hands him the present pictures are taking she puts him down and gives him a hug. I am sitting in the kitchen crying as I watched. There's no relation to our family, but he is the defendant's son. True love. That's what was showed that Christmas dinner. It was embedded by our mom to all of her kids. We all have it in us. Chris taught it to his kids, it showed Kenneth thought it to his and it still shows true love.
Speaker 6: For more information on the case and relevant photos, follow us on Instagram at kat Underscore Studios. Now that the Pikedon massacre has come to an end this season, Kati Studios invites you to experience our new podcast, Death Island.
Speaker 34: Just a few miles off the Thailand coast, The island of Koto looks like a postcard.
Speaker 5: It's almost like if you were going to imagine a paradise island, you'll draw a picture of one. That's what Kotao looks like.
Speaker 6: Young tourists from all over the world visit the pristine beaches and crystal clear water.
Speaker 34: Right underneath the surface lies something sinister.
Speaker 6: In the last two decades, dozens of tourists have died mysteriously on the island.
Speaker 1: A dark cloud who's come over the island and cast its death, mystery and danger.
Speaker 34: I'm journalist Connor Powell. Even while making this podcast, another death on the island just happened. One thing is certain in this beautiful place, no coast is clear. This is Death Island.
Speaker 16: That's like murdering someone in Time Square and saying there's no witnesses.
Speaker 34: A production of KT Studios and iHeartRadio. Listen to Death Island every Wednesday on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: The Pikedon Masker is produced by Stephanie Leidecker, Jeff Shane, Chris Cacaro, Andrew Arnow, Gabriel Castillo and me Courtney Armstrong. Editing and sound designed by Jeff Tis. Music by Jared Aston. The Pikedon Masker is a production of iHeartRadio and KAT Studios. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the I Hear Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.