Speaker 1: Contrary to popular demand, life does not revolve around content.
Speaker 2: It's the other way around.
Speaker 3: That is a fact, and the lack of engagement on social media lately, it kind of feels right in a world that feels like it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah ye, dead Ass.
Speaker 1: It all started with real talk, unfiltered, honest and straight from the heart. Since then, we've gone on to become Webby award winning podcasters in New York Times bestselling authors.
Speaker 3: Dead Ass was more than a podcast for us. It was about our growth, a place where we could be vulnerable.
Speaker 4: Be wrong, or but most apportantly be us.
Speaker 3: But as we know, life keeps evolving and so do we and through it all, one thing has never changed. This because we got a lot to talk about story time.
Speaker 1: So this episode's gonna be extremely different, namely because we just don't want to do everything the same way we did before. We've been going for about what five weeks now, and we just think it's important to, you know, talk to everybody and let you know what we've been going through as a as a.
Speaker 2: Team of people. I don't like saying his staff because we're family.
Speaker 1: So baby, I'm gonna start with you, man, give me a storytime what's been going on for the past five weeks?
Speaker 3: All right, I'll keep it short, but five weeks for me, it's more like seven months since September Dad having his stroke, and it just kind of feeling like blow after blow after blow after blow, not just within our household, but just you know, with people around me, losing about four maybe five loved ones over the past seven months, the hurricane in Jamaica taking a toll on people who I love and care about down there, trying to send aid, dealing with grief, you know, seeing my dad through his treatment with oral cancer.
Speaker 5: It's been a lot.
Speaker 3: Filming a season of television in the middle of all of this and trying to pick up the pieces and pretend to feel a sense of normalcy that I know was not in me. I guess that's a good thing. I'm an actress, right, But I had a lot to pull from this season, so Geneva was on its season two. But it's just been a lot to juggle, Yeah, with the kids, family, people around me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a lot.
Speaker 3: If I'm keeping it short, but we can go into more once the the Meatia the show starts. Cool.
Speaker 1: Last five six weeks, Yeah, my dad died.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's pretty much how I've been talking about it because it's crazy, it's insane.
Speaker 4: It was totally unexpected. That's pretty much. That's it.
Speaker 2: Like he was here too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was here.
Speaker 6: He was visiting me and at for my stepmom's birthday. He came down with my step mom and my brother and my dad. He doesn't like to go anywhere, so it was kind of.
Speaker 4: Like pulling teeth to get him to come.
Speaker 6: But he was like, oh, yeah, I'll go, and we were all like, oh, wow, he's coming, so like, you know.
Speaker 4: Let's tread lightly.
Speaker 6: And then they were supposed to drive, but at the last minute, my dad bought everybody flights to come down, so I was like, wow, this is dope, you know. But when he got when they got to the airport, they ended up having to give him a wheelchair. He was like having trouble breathing and we just thought he had COPD but it was mild COPD.
Speaker 4: It's never bothered him.
Speaker 2: He was a smoker. Yeah, okay, his.
Speaker 6: COPD hadn't bothered him before, so, you know, and he had just gone to the doctor to check on his COPD and they were like, you know, fine, they gave him an inhaler, which was supposed to be enough for him. But so they got down here Thursday. It was really nice. It felt really good to me because I realized, like me and my dad are a lot alike. And I was like making this video where I said, like, I feel like myself the most when I'm around my dad, and I was like, I had been really sad and just depressed, you know, just like not feeling like myself.
Speaker 4: And I was so happy that my dad was here.
Speaker 6: But Friday, we were getting ready to go out and do something and he got dressed and walked from the bathroom to my couch and he was winded. And I'm like, what's going on with you? Why are you winded? He like, yeah, like I think the COPD done kicked in in the last week.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, wow, this is kind of crazy.
Speaker 6: And my you know, my dad or my stepmom and my brother wanted to go to the mall. I'm like this, think can't walk around the mall. But you know, he like made his way. He sat down. We spent Saturday together. We had a really fun time. On Saturday, we went and made perfume. He didn't make any because he was like, I can't smell anything, but he like treated us all to this you know excursion.
Speaker 4: He we went out.
Speaker 6: For lunch that day and he wasn't really eating either, which was weird. And I was just I was like very worried about him because I've never seen him, like I've always said, like, my dad is invincible.
Speaker 1: Like was it did you have a concern or was it like but you had a concern, but you still felt.
Speaker 2: Like that's my dad. I'm just fine.
Speaker 6: I had a concern, Like I had a really big concern. I wanted him to go to the doctor. But my Stepmi was like, we're going to take him to the doctor when we get back to check on his COPD. And I was like, you know, because when we walked to my car, he was like, oh, I'm sweating already. And I started like looking at his fingers because I have you know, I have panic attacks, and when I have panic attacks, what I think is happening is that I'm having a heart attack.
Speaker 4: So I know the symptoms of a heart attack, right, And.
Speaker 6: So I'm looking at his fingers to see if his nail beds are purple, you know, and he just you know, I was like, it's just the COPD.
Speaker 2: You think you told yourself that or I told.
Speaker 6: Myself that, and everybody else was kind of like, yeah, it's probably COPD. Because my dad is you know, he goes to the doctor regularly, and so he was like rallying, you know. He didn't really want to do anything when we were in the house. He would just lay down and watch TV. And I was like entertaining him. I showed him my hot sauce collection and he thought it was I see. And then Sunday morning, my stepmom is a member of a church down here, so she wanted to go to church and we're supposed to cook out. I had gotten some steak and lobster tails to grill out for us for her birthday and for Super Bowl, and my dad in the morning, he said he didn't want to go. He didn't feel like getting up. He's not a morning person. So that wasn't odd at all. And so we came back from church and we're like laughing and giggling, you know, it's a regular day, and my brother was like, where's Dad, And we look and he's on the couch, and my stepmom is like tony, and.
Speaker 4: She like goes to he was like slumped over, and so she goes to.
Speaker 6: Like, like, you know, move him, and he just kind of falls over, and so it became a parent that he was unconscious, and so we started trying to give him CPR and like doing chest compressions.
Speaker 4: I had to call nine one one.
Speaker 6: My building is really secure, so I had to keep going back and forth to try to let people in.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he died on my floor in my apartment.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 4: It was it's I don't know, my heart is just broken.
Speaker 1: As you see, life is not dictating this content. You know what I'm saying, Well, the content is not dictating life.
Speaker 2: Things really be.
Speaker 1: Happening to people, and it happened to us. It's been happening in the case, it's been happening in Trouble. So we're gonna take this time, take a quick break. When we come back. Thank you Trouble for being willing to talk about this. Thank you, k I know you're willing to talk about everything going with that, But when we get back, we'll just talk about everything that's been happening for the past.
Speaker 2: Couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Cool, stick around, y'all.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 1: So we're back. The first thing that I thought about was let's get into karaoke real quick, and then after karaoke. There's a reason why YouTube stories kind of hit me, and I want to get into why both of the stories kind of hit me. There's something that Tripple said that reminded me of something that Josh said when we were here with Dad, which if you think about the differences, you can you know, it's important for people to understand when to look for those those signs that Triple talked about, like the.
Speaker 2: Fingernails and all those things. I just want to get back to so we can get to all right.
Speaker 4: Karaoke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I thought about the hiatus that we kind of were kind of forced to be on, you know, just because of everything. So mad me think of a little snow Alegra. Well it wasn't snow Legra first, who's saying this? Originally I should have looked it up, I guess you wondered. Whereas, Yeah, I surged to find the love with it. You know, I do know that one I came back to let you know.
Speaker 2: Or let you know, I got a thing.
Speaker 5: For you, and she did a great version of it.
Speaker 2: She did it got famous on TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did a cover got Famous Originator, Yes, the Originator. I think it's on my oldiest playlist. Yeah, I just couldn't place the name. But so that's where we've been, y'all.
Speaker 5: We've been. We've been present.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're super present for each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure, Triple.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you get back to finishing your story and then we can jump back in there. So when we were coming out of were going in to break you, I said that your heart is broken, and I know you. I've known you now for I think seven going on eight years, and you always deal with everything with humor. And I've watched you online actually the day it happened, and we were all watching online because we know we like your family, so we're like, yo, let's check in on Trible, see how she's doing. And you're just making jokes, posting pictures. And the first thing I thought was like, this is how Triple grieves. I wouldn't expect it to be any other way. So can you talk a little bit about you know, what it's been like.
Speaker 2: And even from that day.
Speaker 5: Sorry, real quick, are we supposed to break after karaoke?
Speaker 6: To do?
Speaker 3: We need a break.
Speaker 5: No, we're good.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, we're good. We could just use that break.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the humor almost came like from the shock of it. It was shocking and it was so crazy, like it was low key rude of him to die.
Speaker 1: In my part, it's not the most triple thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Something that I've been thinking about too, is that, Like something that happened immediately when my dad died was people started showing up for me at times when it was inconvenient. Came over and Sakari came over immediately when I told y'all what was going on. I had a friend who has a newborn who flew down from Boston like the next day just to make sure that we were eating and taking care of that's right.
Speaker 2: She came by.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had friends.
Speaker 6: When I went to Cincinnati, my friends came and took me bowling, just you know, and they got me drunk as hell and they let me They let me give like a thirty minute speech. I don't know what I was talking about.
Speaker 3: It's the best kind of company.
Speaker 2: Did you lose something to you lost something?
Speaker 4: Did I lose something?
Speaker 7: Did you post it online after you went bowling?
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've forgotten when I lost it wasn't that important because I've also just gotten myself a bunch of treats since then. But so I've been saying, like, you know, there's a Japanese art called Katsugi where they men broken potter with gold, and so I've been saying, my heart is like I'm letting gratitude fill the spaces where my heart has been broken, like the Japanese art of Katsugi, because I'm like extremely grateful for how people have shown up. And another thing that happened almost immediately was that, like people always say, losing a parent is wild and you really don't know until you know. And something that happened was that I was able to see my dad for who he was and not just who he was to me.
Speaker 4: And my dad was a.
Speaker 6: Super super loving person and he was the best dad, and he loved being a dad, and he wasn't just a dad to me and my brothers anybody who needed a dad. Like his oldest brother passed away in ninety six. He had three sons. My dad has been their dad since since he passed. His best friend wasn't really around a lot. He's a truck driver, so his son sent me a picture. He must have been like five years old. Him and my dad were in tuxedos. My dad had taken him to like a father son dance or something like that, and he was saying, like, you know, your dad made me feel like the fly.
Speaker 4: Is kid alive.
Speaker 6: He took me in a Cadillac Limo and you know, like, and my dad's funeral was packed full of people that he's known since he was a kid. People were coming up to me like, oh, me and your dad went to elementary school together, you know, And it made me realize just how much legacy my dad did leave with me. You know, he didn't leave money. My dad barely graduated from high school. He would always be like, I have an eighth grade education. He would always be like, I can't read for real, Like yeah, yeah. He was extremely silly and it's very funny and I do get that from him. But he also taught me how to build community and how to be somebody that your people can rely on. And just seeing how people showed up for me was a reflection of, you know, the kind of person that I am to them. And I am that type of person because that's who my dad was, and that's who he taught me to be. So you know, amongst the grief and the guilt, because there is guilt for you know, just guilt. He died because he had blood clots DVT deep vein thrumbo and then in hindsight, he was saying things where I was like, oh my god, like it was obvious.
Speaker 5: Based on the symptoms that he was complaining of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is what I wanted to talk about because of what you said, you started going through and you felt like something.
Speaker 2: Remember when your dad was tripping up the stairs.
Speaker 1: And Josh was like, y'all need to go check on that, and all of us immediately stopped doing the podcast and we all went up to check. It was funny that that's what parents need in nowadays, like all parents.
Speaker 2: Not just sick parents.
Speaker 1: If you notice something that's going on with your mom or your dad and their elderly and you look in.
Speaker 2: And you can't fight quite put a finger on it, go to the doctor. Like, that's what I've learned. Because when we went upstairs and we took.
Speaker 3: Dad's, first thing we did was take his blood pressure, was blood pressure and.
Speaker 2: It was super high.
Speaker 1: And the funny thing is We did the same thing with Kay when she was dealing with postpartum pret clamsha and her dad said, go to sleep.
Speaker 2: And I was like, nah, that's what we always do.
Speaker 1: We always say, you know what, drink some ginger ale and go to sleep. But nah, it's like when you have parents, they almost become.
Speaker 2: Like our children. Yeah, and you got to protect them from themselves, not.
Speaker 5: Even just parents though.
Speaker 3: In the midst of everything that was happening, you know, with us, I feel like I was dealing with the level of stress that I've never felt before in my life. And it was just everything. It was the compilation of everything. I couldn't pinpoint one thing. But I had gone to a football game, no. One of Jackson's basketball games, and I'm in the car and my left arm just felt numb, like it just had this weird sensation. So I kept trying to do this and I'm like, oh, maybe's because I've been working out more lately. Whatever it is, I don't talk about this, and I just felt something just fell off. And I said to my mom, I was like.
Speaker 5: My left arm just feels weird.
Speaker 3: And she literally looked at me and she was like, go check your blood pressure. My blood pressure was one fifty seven over one hundred, and to me, I'm like, why is my blood pressure so high? Out of nowhere? Like I just went to a basketball game. I sat down, and then she said take one of my blood pressure bills. And my sister was like, tak an aspirint and you got to watch it, and you need a baseline and you need to track your blood pressure over the next couple of days to see what's going on. But I think that was just my body's response to everything going on around me, Like not even just looking at it from the parents, at your parents' perspective, but it's also how am I feeling, like being so in tune with your body that you know when something is not right. And my mom was like, that's the first thing I felt when I had a heart attack. And my mother had a stress induced heart attack at fifty four.
Speaker 5: So when she heard me talk.
Speaker 3: About this arm feeling weird, she was like, oh, no, we gotta treat this now, and then you have to follow up with your doctor. Thankfully, I went for my physical blood work and everything. The most I have is low iron shell but you know, my blood pressure was back to normal one fourteen over eighty cool. But we have to be mindful of these things as we get older, because we've been hearing more about people our age who are having heart attacks and suffering from all these random things that you think you don't experience till you're in your fifties and sixties and seventies, But in the forties is really that turning point for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. That's a really good point. I want to get back to you said guilt. You don't blame yourself, do you trible?
Speaker 4: No? No, But.
Speaker 6: And you know, I know that there may have been nothing that could have been done by the time we realized it, But there is just like what if you know, and I know I'm not a doctor, I wasn't supposed to know, Like, and I'm just like, what is all this anxiety for? Like what have all these panic attacks been for? If I can't you know, be aware when something like this is happening. But yeah, I don't. I I was trying not to be anxious because I feel like I was the only one that was like, this is crazy. And I had talked to my step mom like Saturday night, and she was like, I've never seen him this out of breath either, So to the clot was.
Speaker 4: He had clots and his lungs and his legs, and you had no clue to his heart.
Speaker 1: Got it, we had a travel heart. Why when I think about it, she was close eye in his late forties. I don't want to say her name.
Speaker 3: She had aminary embolism.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 1: She felt like she was out of breath, and her and her husband was sitting in the room.
Speaker 2: It was instant.
Speaker 1: And that's why I said, you can't blame yourself, because I remember that story where there were no signs. She was sitting there and then she said started coughing, and then her husband was just like, well you okay?
Speaker 2: Are you okay?
Speaker 1: And then she went to the bathroom and started coughing and coughing and she's I can't catch my breath.
Speaker 2: And he was like, okay, what do you want me to do? And she's like, I'm gonna go take a shower. I believe went to get in a shower.
Speaker 1: With the steam, and I think it was within like fifteen minutes she had passed passed out.
Speaker 2: He had called the cops. She was gone.
Speaker 1: The reason why I'm telling you is that is because sometimes we have guilt. We try to find ways to blame ourselves, and realistically, when it's your time, God is going to decide that it's your time, and there's nothing we all as humans can do to stop that, you know, because that happened.
Speaker 2: To her in less than fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: When we heard the story, perfectly find sitting there, had just left Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Or giving dinner.
Speaker 1: Everybody was cool, and it was just like fifteen minutes that she's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember the husband saying to his son, he felt guilty, like he's like he didn't move fast enough, he didn't know.
Speaker 2: He's like, in the minute she said she didn't feel good, I should have just took her.
Speaker 1: And I was like, we always say that after the fact, Yeah, you know, we always say that, but realistically, how do you know?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 6: But yeah, and it's something that happens really fast. And yeah, I'm trying to just have gratitude for what, you know, even though he did die here, like it was great that he was here, Like I was glad that he was here.
Speaker 3: I would rather last moments with him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it was it was beautiful last moments. They were fun, like and I would rather him have been here than for you know, my stepmom to go home and find him because he had blood cloths.
Speaker 4: Either way it was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Doesn't it seem kind of crazy that your father doesn't like going places decides to just fly down here with everybody spending this money. Don't it seem like like the god in him was saying, like, Hey, something may be going on, let me go see my daughter.
Speaker 5: That to me is what I probably need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it seems like to me a little bit, you know, And I'm not I don't speak to spirits and I don't claim to be none of that, but it just seems like, wow, for him to say, you know what, I'm gonna go do this now, when he doesn't do that almost seem like, you know, the god in him was reaching out to the god and you were saying, I know you need this and this might be my last.
Speaker 4: And I had a moment when he was here.
Speaker 6: We were talking to my brother about something and then me and my dad had like the same exact response, and I was like thinking about how me and my dad pretty much can communicate without communicating. There's been so many times where like he called me and said something that I had already thought about, Like, you know, we just have always been on the same page.
Speaker 4: We just are really close. We just know each other very well.
Speaker 6: And so I do think I do think that it was you know, divine that he he came.
Speaker 3: I also hope that you continue to receive little, little messages, little things from him, because I hear a lot of people say that when someone passes, you know, they get little reminders. It could be something so random, like when my friend Alcion died CG. So a thing that I have now between my friend Helena and I Helena is that nurse can cook on Instagram.
Speaker 5: So it was like the strangest thing.
Speaker 3: We were like talking about her one day on the phone and a ladybug landed on me and I was like, oh my goodness, this little ladybug like just landed on me.
Speaker 5: I wonder if that's CG.
Speaker 3: Because we were on the phone for like over thirty minutes off the phone like talking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like this ladybug just.
Speaker 3: Landed on me. And she was at one of her sons, at her son's I think a soccer game or something. And then we got off the phone and she sent me a picture of a ladybug landed on her.
Speaker 5: After we got off the phone.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: So now we're both like anytime we see a ladybug and we call each other, what's up, ladybug, because.
Speaker 5: That's like our thing.
Speaker 1: The time the ladybug flew on her from and she was inside like this wasn't a just a one time?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: They had been on the phone and been like, yoda's a ladybug on me, and she's like, I'm inside.
Speaker 2: How was there a ladybug that was.
Speaker 5: In Kadz's room.
Speaker 3: I opened the window and there was like a ladybug trapped in between the window and the screen and then the screen. I didn't know how it got in, but it was just sitting right there on the windowsill and it was literally in the thick of me going through the grief of her. And I took the picture and sent it to her, And I feel like since then, at least two or three times after that, I just like, there was one in my car the other day. It's like the smallest things, and I like to at least think that maybe that's her sending a little sign. So I hope that she can continue to feel the presence of your dad in like your day to day because I know he he knows that you need that, you know, which is crazy because just to speak real quick on being there for you, I'm driving with my sister to the mall.
Speaker 5: She had a job interview.
Speaker 2: This is also that day. You don't know about this day, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was driving with her to the mall because she got an interview that she was excited about. So I'm like, okay, she needs a blazer and an outfit to wear. So We're on our way to the mall and literally I see the text message pop up in our you know, l s ever after group chat, and I kind of glanced at it because I was driving, So I asked my sister to read it for me, and she was like, oh my god, and she read it aloud and Triple pretty much said, Hey, guys, my dad just died in my apartment. I'm gonna need help. I'm not sure what I'll need, but I'm just letting my ATL people know. And because I was already heading in that direction, I was like, no brainer. So I happened to get to you, I think just at the same time as the medics. Yeah, I was like I was literally when I put your address and I was like five minutes out, and when I got there, I think the medical examiner had just gotten there, and I too was in shock because I'm like, oh my god, Trible, I know what your father means to you, and to be able to show up for you in that space that was most important to me in that moment, at least in Takari. And then in true Trible form, we walked through the door and your father is, you know, on the floor, and You're like, damn, ca, I didn't I want you to meet my dad, but not like this only and then it was almost like you said that. You laughed and then you started crying, and then you laughed again because you cracked another joke, and Askari was just like, we didn't even know if to laugh or to cry, because Trible, I know you were in shock in that moment you could tell you could tell you were in shock.
Speaker 5: So I was just happy to be able to be.
Speaker 3: There for you in that moment like that. Quickly, because we were all ready to be like what do you need? You know, called Kwame was like, hey find triple go do something to help.
Speaker 2: I called Trible the first thing she do is joke the whole time. Since then, we've been joking by only fans the whole time. Since that day, we've been joking about about because I'm a person that I don't I'm not good with other people's grief.
Speaker 1: I either stay away or I'm asking dumb questions like how you feel? Like you know what I'm saying. So I will say to you, thank you for taking that pressure off me, because I could just text Trible.
Speaker 2: And then it'd be a joke in response, and I'm like, Okay, where we at. So let's just keep going.
Speaker 1: And then the jokes flow until they stopped, and then I hit it up again, like yo, you you know what was going on? Like I will say to you Trible, like I know you're going through a lot, but also thank you for making it easy for us.
Speaker 2: Because for people who don't know.
Speaker 1: This podcast, our podcast producer is Trible. Everything that happens through this podcast runs through her.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: She has to get everything to us. We were supposed to film in a minute. This happened.
Speaker 2: We were like, we're not doing the podcast, like and here's the funny.
Speaker 1: Tripple goes, Yeah, I'm going to go to the funeral and I'm gonna come right back so we can film.
Speaker 6: And I was like, I had no idea like what I was gonna.
Speaker 5: Feel, and I we anticipated that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I had like a March first.
Speaker 6: Recording that I was supposed to come back for, and I was like, oh, March first, I'll probably.
Speaker 4: Be okay, but no, no, not at all.
Speaker 6: Like I really needed that time at home, yeah, just to you know, be with my family and be and my dad's like energy, and to like feel what I felt and to not have to worry about anything else. Yeah, yeah, I definitely needed that. So thank y'all. And my step mom was very grateful for y'all for coming through and like having us over. She's really grateful, and she's like, you know, really suffering at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could imagine, Oh my god. And I wanted to ask you to because that day I didn't even know.
Speaker 1: Once again, in my awkwardness, I asked you to come over because I know y'all wanted to be out of that space, but I also didn't want to invade y'all space while y'all were here. So I was like, it's okay if y'all just sit in a room and have some drinks and chill.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I hope that was okay, But at the time I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to sit there and grill.
Speaker 2: You will tell me what happened? How long did it? You know what I'm saying. People do that. Sometimes they get and I'm like, no, y'all just need a different place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also sometimes yeah, you just want to you want to show up and you want to be of support, but literally words fail, Like in moments like this, there's absolutely nothing that can be said to make anything any better. So it's just almost like, Okay, there's presence, you know, just like I'm here, I'm here.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I felt like that with you and Pops, I expressed to Matt. I never said this to anybody, but there was times that I thought that. I was like, there's no way a seventy three year old man who is fighting cancer, fighting like heart disease, everything.
Speaker 2: It's going to be. It's going to be chemo and radiation.
Speaker 1: So my thing was, I'm like, at what point when it gets really bad, do I have to start grieving my father in Lord?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: And I was watching you go through it, and there was a lot of times I don't even know what to say, and I'm here living and I'm grieving too, because I'm like, what if it comes today? And there was a moment where the radiation started to like take over.
Speaker 5: His neck and his whole body.
Speaker 1: His old body lost a lot of weight, and then he started bleeding at one point, and I was just kind of like, dang, this is that that moment, you.
Speaker 2: Know, whereas like it start to get bad.
Speaker 1: So then I remember walking by, and you know how the house is when you walk by, Dad is always there to the left watching TV. Yeah, and this is the first day I walked by and he had the bandages on his neck and I was like, yo, that's my guy.
Speaker 8: Yo.
Speaker 1: Like and then rather than say something, all I do when I walk by Dad is go, hey, how you feeling, young man, And he goes, I'm all right, And I know he's not all right, but I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know what to say to you neither. So I just coming back to myself.
Speaker 3: So I went to film mid January. I think I started on the nineteenth. Prior to that was one week of prep, and I was in and out of the house a lot, and I kind of I was feeling a lot of things at that point. I think I was embracing the break that I had from what I felt like was a daunting six months, and then also knowing like I had to show up in my workspace regardless of what I had going on.
Speaker 5: So it's like kind of tucking all of that away.
Speaker 3: And because I was so intransit, I stayed on campus to film and whatnot. When you see someone every day, you don't necessarily see the progression good or bad. It's almost like you see somebody every day and I lose a weight, I don't know, but then you are wait for a week or two and you come back and you're like, WHOA, you lost a lot of weight or so it was the progression that I saw is in his decline. It was like I was kind of in and out for a week, then I went to film for a week. I was gone the entire week, came home on the weekend. So by the time I rapped, I think that's when he was in the thick of yea of his radiation and treatment, and that's when everything was pretty much compounded. At this point, he was going through the worst of it, and I was like, oh my god, it was hard to watch. It was hard to watch to your point too. We always walked through the hallway and we see him sitting to the left, and there were some mornings I came and he wasn't sitting in that space, and I thought, for a second, I'm like, oh my god, there's going to come a day where my dad is just not going to be sitting there anymore, you know. So then I would find myself like, Okay, do I want to go downstairs and just check on him and make sure he's okay, Like, or is this the day I want to walk downstairs to check on him? And he didn't come up because he's gone. Like so many things go through your mind when you're going through all of this, and I also didn't realize how much of it I was suppressing just to even get through work. People were very kind on set because they would be like, hey, you know, we've been praying for your dad and everything, and I'm like, yeah, yeah. I just kind of like took it and kept moving because I was in the frame of mind to work and we wrapped I think It was on the thirtieth or twenty ninth or thirtieth, and Tyler Perry's assistant Jody, had come to set to just you know, come and check on everyone, and she gave me a hug and she's like, I heard about your dad.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: She gave me a hug, and I'm like, yeah, you know, he's on the mend or whatever. Got to my car to drive home because I was completely wrapped and sobbed the entire way home, like at one point had to pull over because I couldn't even see to drive, and it was so many things happening at one time.
Speaker 5: It wasn't just thinking about Dad.
Speaker 3: It was like gratitude for being able to work again, to be able to do what I thought I wasn't going to be able to do because I had such a heavy weight on my shoulders that I was dealing with for the past couple months thinking about Dad, of course, thinking about not being home in that space, feeling guilty, feeling like I was leaving a bunch of wait on you, yeah, yeah, wait on you, not being there for the kids. And then I'm like, the kids are experiencing watching their grandfather go through this at the same time, So what is that looking like for them? My mom, you know, a lot of times you look at the person who was sick, person taking care of me. That person in my mom was really locked in making sure that Dad was okay. My sister pretty much flying down here for weeks at a time to assist my brother coming down, my aunt coming down. So I just I just felt I think it was just suppressing everything to get through work. And then it was like I can let it go. Aside from the emotions that I had to pull from just to work with my character, it was just a lot at one time, you know. So I was grateful once Dad rung that bell, man, it just felt like a sigh of Okay, he's done with this phase. But now there's the rebuild, you know. So, yeah, it's been a time.
Speaker 1: How about this we this has been a heavy episode. Let's take a break. Let's go pay some bills. You think trouble, take a break, pay some bills.
Speaker 2: Come back. I don't want to do listen to letters.
Speaker 3: We have Matt and Josh chiming to if there's anything, because we didn't even get to touch on anything. Y'all have been Yeah, Matt lost the parents, So this is yeah, how how many.
Speaker 5: Years has been met? Okay, gotcha? Yeah, fifteen years.
Speaker 2: I know he lost his dad to cancer, so we we talked about that during this whole thing. It's just been a lot for everybody.
Speaker 1: I know Josh has his own things he's going through at home. I'm not sure he wants to discuss or now. But this is also just the truth.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: We don't let art dictate our life. Like at the end of the day, we do a podcast, we want to bring people together. We want to love each other and laugh and make sure people have good things to watch and listen to. But we are people and we are all really like seriously going through things. So first thing I want to do is thank y'all before we take this break for even rocking with us.
Speaker 2: Still. We've been going for about five six weeks. We've never been.
Speaker 1: Going this long and the whole life time of Dead Ass Podcast and Eli sevn Raft, but we felt like this break was was needed for not just you guys, but for all of us.
Speaker 2: Collected all five of us as a group. So we're gonna take this break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll come back to the moment of truth, and then next week we'll start back with some regular podcasts, but we're gonna finish you the Moment of Truth and then see y'all next week.
Speaker 5: Perfect, all right, all right, yes we are back.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling good, like I think. Talking about everything, of course, jogs up the memories and you know what I was feeling over the past couple months.
Speaker 5: But it's healthy to talk about it.
Speaker 3: You know. I realized that I'm not the only one going through things. I'm sure so many of our listeners. You know, life, life happens. We're all living in this shared human experience. But what I realized has been valuable, and I guess this can be my moment of truth is being honest about how you feel. You know, stop saying I'm okay when someone asks you, hey, what's up, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm good, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 3: It's okay sometimes to be like, you know what, I'm not okay, I'm not okay, especially in spaces where you feel like you can rely on someone for a little bit of help support, yeah, a shoulder, you know, or sometimes it's just eventing. You know.
Speaker 5: I've realized that with us, you know, sometimes we just.
Speaker 3: Want to be heard.
Speaker 5: You know, things haven't been perfect.
Speaker 3: It's taking a toll even on Deval and I just us feeling like we miss each other because we both have been scatterbrained trying to make sure that everything stays afloat because why the bills still come. Yeah, the bills still come. The responsibilities are still there. Sometimes, you know, it's safe to say nobody really cares what you got going on as long as it, you know, doesn't affect their bottom line. Thankfully, we're in a space though, where we've curated a workspace for us where we just really genuinely lead first with being human and how we feel. So so yeah, sometimes it's okay to say you're not okay and talk about it.
Speaker 2: I love that trouble, Yeah, feeling.
Speaker 6: I will say, nobody does care what you're going through, including the people who stand to make money off of the death of your loved one. Having a plan a funeral right after somebody dies, especially unexpectedly, is like the most.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really traumatic.
Speaker 6: And I couldn't imagine having to answer questions for work at the same time as having to like try to you know, get my dad flown back to Ohio and like picking out his burial plot and figuring out how that's going to be paid for.
Speaker 1: So I'm about to say that real world stuff that no one thinks about it, and then you got work stuff.
Speaker 2: Nobody want to answer to that.
Speaker 6: And do that.
Speaker 4: I feel you, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was really helpful for me not to have to like worry about anything else because even then, like I had to walk out of the room when we were at the cemetery picking out his block because I was just like, this is crazy. But anyway, it has been helpful for me to talk about grief. I've been making these little videos and just like saying how I feel, and it has highlighted that we are just all having a human experience and we have this common thing that we'll all go through at some point and a lot of people have been through it already, and so that's been really helpful. And I will say, yes, it's helpful to talk about how you feel, and also it's so.
Speaker 4: When you die.
Speaker 6: You know, my dad, he wasn't an inventor, he wasn't a millionaire. You know, he wasn't like an important CEO or anything. But he was a phenomenal human being. He was a great friend, he was a one person to be around. Everybody said, you know, he just loved to make people laugh, and everybody have really great memories of him, and that's what matters. Yes, So yeah, every day when you put one foot in front of the other, just be a good person and know that that is enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel that. I love it.
Speaker 8: Mattuh loss of words really, but based off with Triple is saying the only thing that comes to mind is just lived one day at a time.
Speaker 2: Be grateful.
Speaker 8: I know we're here to say have attitude of gratitude, but it's like a real thing, especially in times like this. But I think my real moment of truth is Triple needs to get back on the stage because you have been hilarious.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie, Bro. I didn't want to. I didn't want to say that, but yeah, yeah, I've threads that you were writing that first week.
Speaker 8: I was like, nah, it was.
Speaker 1: Good because some people ask me if your dad had really died or if it was like a skit.
Speaker 2: It was like is this real?
Speaker 1: Because she mad funny and I was like, nah, bro, her dad really passed away.
Speaker 2: She was funny.
Speaker 4: I wrote a whole set during that first week.
Speaker 2: I love to hear that might.
Speaker 5: Be a great way for you to live so strange.
Speaker 7: I was going to write you and be like, yo, this is the coming of age of Triple right now while it was happening, because you said.
Speaker 2: It to Josh, you you said it to me.
Speaker 1: You said that we've just watched Triples Coming of Age. You the one who was sending me to stuff about he threats. Remember I don't have threats.
Speaker 2: He was sending it to me. It was funny.
Speaker 3: What was Anthony? Anthony? Anthony lives on?
Speaker 4: I did speak at his funeral too, got a couple of laughs.
Speaker 7: So that was that was actually really drink minimalm you go through his closet?
Speaker 3: Did you go through his closet and like pull a bunch of pieces to take?
Speaker 6: I did?
Speaker 4: I sure did. I got like eight Coogie sweaters. Now I love that to the.
Speaker 1: Play for real because remember I said, if I had a daughter, my daughter's name would be Junior. I was gonna name my daughter Deval and she was gonna be the only Junior I had. So to see how you like correlate with your dad and how much you appreciate everything he's giving you and you wearing his suits It's kind of like if I had a daughter and her name was Deval, we wanta call her dev I would want her to just do ship, just to be like her dad, Like what you're gonna wear a Debbie to.
Speaker 3: Look at over there?
Speaker 1: No, that's what's up that That was your moment the truth, Josh, you got a full moment of truth.
Speaker 2: My moment of.
Speaker 7: Truth is really just thank you for making it like, making it easy for us to help you during that time. Like you, Devo, I am awkward around any moments of of grief and I really don't I really I really want to say how you doing? But I know better, so I don't say it. But in the meantime, I'm like, I know how you doing, but you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, so'thing.
Speaker 7: It'd be a few a few times I hit trouble up and I'm just like, I don't really know what to say. So hey, when we go get the next podcast.
Speaker 2: That's all Josh said. No, but seriously, you.
Speaker 7: Know, thank you for making it easy because it's difficult it is for you. You never really want to make it difficult for the people around you when it interacts with you. So you didn't do that so I appreciate you, and you know, listen to you and your your family and your dad's passing.
Speaker 3: Anything you had going on, Josh real quick that we didn't get to touch on. I know he had.
Speaker 7: Majority It was tough, man, I mean, I mean we talked about you guys going through I really want to bring my stuff into it.
Speaker 2: But I tried to update my computer and it died. I swear I thought it was over. I thought it was over, guys. I thought it was over.
Speaker 7: Seriously, seriously, I was there for like an hour trying to figure out what was going on.
Speaker 8: But thankfully amount of cold on his I took a picture of your screen already computer.
Speaker 2: Looks crazy, right, thankfully? Oh god, it was rough, rough hour.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is I know what you're talking about because I updated my phone. I haven't updated my iOS on my phone, and man long and I don't know what my phone is no more. I went to go find my pictures, they all scrambled my contact. I don't even care forget this phone. I really don't care no more. So if it was my computer, i'd.
Speaker 2: Have been done.
Speaker 3: I promise you.
Speaker 5: My phone gave me so much anxiety. Now I'd be like, I don't want to talk to nobody.
Speaker 1: My moment of truth first, My first moment of truth is I love y'all.
Speaker 2: Like these four people.
Speaker 1: In this room, we do this because we love to do it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's really truly the facts, Like, we don't have to do this, We want to do this. We love to share our stories with people. We love to get together once a month and film these episodes. I'm going to say my moment of truth is not having an episode shot. I missed what we do to make the episodes. When you wake up in the morning and you get here and you got to be here at a certain time, and then everyone comes in and Kwame comes with lunch, and then we go get our workouts after and we laugh and joke. Those are the things I love the most about doing the podcast. It's like we don't do the live shows anymore, so when we get together once a month for three days, it feels like that same camaraderie. So I just want to say, I love y'all. I hate the fact that everybody is going through shit right now. It seems like the whole world is on fire. I love the fact that we have each other. I love the fact that we have an understanding that we're like, yo, life is happening. We really don't got to do no content right now. I love the fact that we all want that. You know what I'm saying, And we took a break to get back to our families and stuff. And I want to say to the Ellis ever After crew that's been rocking with us, we will be back.
Speaker 2: We will be consistent. But thank y'all for having empathy.
Speaker 1: I know how much y'all love Trible, I know how much y'all love k We've been through a lot.
Speaker 2: I know how much y'all love the three of us.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate the well wishes that I was seeing on the page and all my personal dms making sure that everybody was okay.
Speaker 2: So I just want to say thank y'all. That's my moment of truth. I love y'all.
Speaker 1: We will be back, but most importantly, remember that we're all humans.
Speaker 3: And thank you to you because you're thinking like Triple and I and but you were going through a lot too.
Speaker 5: I was, And I don't want to glanze over that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, just real quick, because you were a stronghold, solid rock through all of this for all of us appreciate. Like we joke about the fact that he's become like my mother's therapist. You should build her, you should.
Speaker 5: Totally build her.
Speaker 3: She literally comes in here, She's like, where's my coach.
Speaker 2: Therapist?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, if I had to.
Speaker 3: Have one more person offload their problems onto him, So because I'm already defensive of like nobody talked to him.
Speaker 5: Everybody leave him alone.
Speaker 3: And the fact that you're still able to show up every day as an amazing husband and an amazing father, an amazing son in law, and amazing Like I don't know how you do it, because I'd be ready to shut down and move OUTPI, like y'all can have everything. I'm gone. That's the Sagittarius, Like book me a flight out of here. But the way that you've been able to show up for everyone all the time, Like I would go to text Trible and Deval was already texting Trible Like I got her.
Speaker 6: He text me like every day for the first couple of weeks, and I thought it was so special, thank you, It really really really was helpful.
Speaker 4: And he would be like, did you shower today?
Speaker 5: I'd be like nah lately.
Speaker 2: One day she was like, she.
Speaker 1: Was like, I ain't even eat yet, and I was like, come on, Triple, you gotta eat. And I said, when you go in the shower and take the camera for our only fans.
Speaker 2: That's that's how we jokes the whole time.
Speaker 6: And it was it was even better because all my aunts and stuff, they'd be like, oh, you work with Zach.
Speaker 4: The whole time, like I'm like, my dad just died, y'all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, dam But then he would text me and I feel like famous, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do work with that.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: As much as we argue and debate on this this podcast, bro, I do love you as a person, you know, I love you you my dog yos.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all, we didn't do listener letters today, but if you want to be featured for a future episode, because the ball is rolling now, we're back, y'all, be sure to email us at Ellisadvice at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's E. L L I S A D V I C E at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, and if you're listening on Apple podcasts, be sure to rate, review, subscribe, download, tell a friend.
Speaker 5: Because we're back. Happy to be here.
Speaker 3: You can follow me on Instagram at Kadeen I Am. And I'm also back on TikTok.
Speaker 4: Y'all.
Speaker 3: You know, one one day at a time, one step, one step at a time, all right, don't start harassing me for the getting ready with me. I just cleaned my closet at the seven months, so we're making baby steps.
Speaker 5: But you can follow me at Kadeen I Am, and.
Speaker 2: You can follow me at Imdeval all platforms.
Speaker 8: You can find me att ellisphoto dot.
Speaker 7: Com and you can follow me at Joshua Underscore, Duwayne and.
Speaker 4: I'm at Trips The Cool, t R I B b Z the Cool on Everything.
Speaker 2: And we're back, y'all.
Speaker 1: Make sure you rate, review and subscribe and downloadad to baby.
Speaker 3: I've said the script.
Speaker 5: It's all right, whatever, We're back.
Speaker 3: That's on an ass, dead ass.
Speaker 7: God.
Speaker 6: Ellis ever After is an iHeartMedia podcast. It's hosted by Kadeen and Deval Ellis. It's produced by Triple Video, Production by Joshua, Duane and Matthew Ellis, Video editing by Lashawan Rowe.
Speaker 3: Tagana Togana Togana