Speaker 1: Well, I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest in my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, You're own presences. Presents enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to survey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to? I said, no gifts. I'm Bridgard Wineger. We are in the backyard. The police are roaring around the city. The neighbors recently stopped mowing their law on the local elementary has stopped whatever noise they were making. Whoever was screaming has stopped screaming. But you know, there's gonna be a you know, a bevy of noises, a cornucopia of noises today, and that's fine. Things a news since the last podcast, the bug bites, the mysterious bug bites turned out to be nothing. I've been on vacation and I think that's oh. And we're not on strike anymore, at least the Writer's Guild, which is incredible. What a feeling, What an absolute feeling. I'm flying And I love today's guest. I really adore this man. It's Jimmy Pardo.
Speaker 4: Jimmy. Welcome to. I said no gift. Thank you for having men I can.
Speaker 5: I it seems like you talk very openly about things in your life. I'm gonna shaw only so that I can get this out of my head. Let's say, so that I don't then regret leaving here by not saying this. Okay, you mentioned you had some flooding. Oh, and I still just steamed roll into what I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 4: And I feel so guilty about that that I want to let you know that I did.
Speaker 5: I heard you, and I and I feel awfully for you that you had some flooding.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you just blew past it, because, for you know, from January till the end of March, the beginning of this podcast was me just essentially complaining about my home being full of water. And I've told everyone within your shot my house is flooding. So it kind of feels nice for someone to just be like, let's talk about the sink in the bathroom.
Speaker 5: I well, I was so thrilled to see that sink. You know that, as we've talked about all the it, I did not again, I for my own peace of mind, did not want the Did.
Speaker 4: You get a some pump? How did you get rid of the You talked about some pumps.
Speaker 3: That's uh, how do you know about some Well.
Speaker 5: I grew up in where we had a basement in the suburbs of Chicago, and so I think every house had a some pump.
Speaker 4: Okay, some pump. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's a sump pump, s ump, Yeah, I think so. I think it's one of those things that you kind of just mumble and hope that people just sort of everybody's talking. Yeah, exactly, but we.
Speaker 4: Would hear it occasionally, like it would do its own work.
Speaker 3: A little robot essentially that recognizes when water is there. Yeah, we left a hole where the work was done in case we need one next winter. We're gonna we did some work. Blah blah blah. They left a hole, and they're like, well, if this work doesn't happen, it doesn't work. Get the sun pump.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm praying to God that I don't have more flooding because I emotionally, I mean, I'm hanging by a thread at all times. Whenever it starts raining, I'm so tense. It feels like my back is going to break.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 5: So, so that hurricane that we were we were warned about, which is really was just a bad storm, bad storm and one.
Speaker 4: For us to be aware of. But uh, did that bring any flooding?
Speaker 3: It didn't.
Speaker 4: But then that's a wind.
Speaker 3: Well, but it was only raining for what what would you say, a day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a day of heavy rain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but last winter it was like a week of the rain.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 3: So until it's rained for four forty eight hours straight, I'm not I'm not gonna count on anything, Okay. And the big fear now is you know my boyfriend Jim I do know Jimmyla. Yes, he's gonna he will be living in New York during the winter, and so I'm gonna be here alone.
Speaker 4: Oh no, just kind of uh waiting around ankle deep in water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm not strong enough. It requires two people. I who knows what's gonna happen to me? It's really I might have to bring a lodger in or something, have somebody come stay with me. What would you use lodger? A lodger, Yeah, someone who kind of just lodges in the house. You know.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've never I've never heard that word before, nor have I heard it used in that context.
Speaker 4: Uh. We what would we call them growing up?
Speaker 5: I'm let mean, before we get deep into this thing, I'm on a medication that is affecting my memory, oh interest, which is great for comedy and if we're doing a a an experiment on my my word when cast never not funny?
Speaker 4: Where in September I did not take prevision.
Speaker 5: Okay, and we kept track of how many times I could not remember something right, And starting October first, I'm gonna start prevision.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're familiar with what does it? What is that off?
Speaker 5: It's a it's an over to counter thing which I'm ninety nine percent sure of snake oil. I'm sure it's nothing, but you know what, why not for the fun of the show, I'll take this pill and one off. All of a sudden I remember everything like but so so I don't remember the word of somebody that would like Phonsie with the Cunninghams was a oh he.
Speaker 3: Was like or like Charles Well, Charles in charge was the babysitter or whatever the bass.
Speaker 5: Like when you have a oh, bills are tough. We're taking on a you use the word lodger, A renter no like uh not at larger, but but a there's a great word for this. Wow show I ruined your day.
Speaker 3: I mean, God, bless you. My memory is just shot and I'm not on a medication that affects my memory.
Speaker 4: So is your question? Yeah, did you get did you have the COVID? Did you have COVID?
Speaker 5: They're claiming that COVID can also be something that affects your memory.
Speaker 3: Of course I've heard this, I've had I know people who've this has happened to.
Speaker 4: My memory was shot before you already had trouble. So you're young. Why would why?
Speaker 3: I don't know what's wrong with my brain. Maybe it's too much caffeine consumption.
Speaker 4: Do you think that has something to do with it? Because I drink a lot of can it made it very personal? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean you've got a cox ever right there. I just had two coffees. I'm just rattled. But that's got to be the only thing that's that's the only unnatural thing in my life. Or I was just cursed with a bad brain.
Speaker 4: Could be that.
Speaker 3: I will say I have a good memory for like minor details that are worthless in the past. Yes, anything that I need to actually count on, forget it. So provision is that what it's called provision, prevision, in vision. What is pre supposed to.
Speaker 4: Do for this?
Speaker 5: Supposed to improve your memory? And according to their commercials, Oh okay, yeah, it's not gonna make it worse.
Speaker 4: Who would take a pill to make their memory worse?
Speaker 3: I thought you were saying you were taking prevision and the side effect was memory loss.
Speaker 5: No, No, I am not taking I don't. This is embarrassing and I'm not doing a hackey joke. I don't remember which medicine it is that I'm on that's affecting my memory. I take a lot of pills, right, and for my various aches and pains that all came in July twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: I don't know what happened. Oh interesting.
Speaker 5: I think my body was just so tense being locked up that then it reacted in a way where everything went wrong.
Speaker 3: And as of July twenty twenty, had you had COVID.
Speaker 4: No I didn't get it until July twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this was all just some other garbage going on.
Speaker 5: Oh, this was just again, I think just a stress and tens of the lockdown and my body just did not react. Well, I have to assume it was that I'm not an expert, but they discovered that other than a bulging disc in my back, I really had nothing wrong with me interest But that didn't stop me from going to the ear about seven times seven?
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 4: Minimum?
Speaker 5: Seven times seven times? In between January of twenty twenty and today, You've been to the er seven seven times.
Speaker 3: What are you saying to them?
Speaker 4: Like? What are you saying?
Speaker 5: I would call in and I would tell them this is what's happening, and they would do cat scans and they would do MRIs and then they would go, well, mister Pardo, like we said two weeks ago, there's nothing wrong with you. And I'd be like, awful, Oh okay, Well I'm still laying here in the feedable position crying. There's something wrong. I'm in pain. I didn't drive here to say hello to you in the middle of a pandemic.
Speaker 3: No, you're hooked on the er. I'm sure there are people that are hard cheers.
Speaker 4: I was not.
Speaker 5: This is my cheers. My son does make fun of me. My son effect. Just yesterday, the pharmacist at the target that we my pharmacist is in I walk past and they go hello. It is a Pardo and my son just thinks it's hysterical that my pharmacist says hello, even when I'm not getting anything.
Speaker 3: I feel like your pharmacists should know. It's so old fashioned.
Speaker 4: It is old fashion, but we don't even those times anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, you've made it your reality.
Speaker 4: Well when you're there as often as I am.
Speaker 5: So anyway, no prevision, Okay, starting October first, I started.
Speaker 3: That's the big experiment to see does it work? Commercial claim it will work? Please let me know how this. So they have commercials. It's not like one of these kind of crummy vitamins that like has no like market place thing. It's like there's actually they're advertising this on TV.
Speaker 4: My pillow guys.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I don't know if that's it sort of McDonald's.
Speaker 4: I invested my pillow. You know what, you sleep better. The man has some good ideas.
Speaker 3: Religiously literally everything about.
Speaker 4: This, everything about he really seeks to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, prevision, I'm going to look into this.
Speaker 4: It's not cheap.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's not cheap.
Speaker 4: No, it's I think it's like fifty bucks a bottle. Oh, but you know what the show is, We're gonna the show is going to pay for it. Okay, fantastic, it's a show expense and what what what if it works?
Speaker 3: Oh, you'll let me know then, Yes, our lives are both improved. I've got to find a drug for this podcast to pay for. I wonder what that would be.
Speaker 5: Uh, well it could be this one said, I've got a problem. But otherwise you're you're you look terrific. You've got to be in terrific health.
Speaker 3: I'm that's a good question. I mean, I will say, due to eating two Berzil nuts a day, my cholesterol is lowered.
Speaker 4: What do you about this?
Speaker 3: What are you eating two brazil nuts a day? This is the podcast For a long time, this is all I talked about. I stopped talking about. People were probably thrilled, and now I'm talking about it again.
Speaker 5: Well, listen to because I'm so self avowed. I don't listen to any other podcast except for my wife, bless you.
Speaker 4: Uh and uh.
Speaker 5: I just I think it's because I've been doing it so long. I don't need to hear other people doing what I'm doing. If that makes sense, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: I'd rather listen to music.
Speaker 5: I would rather listen to music, or for a time, I got really caught up and listened to way too much MSNBC, and I would just be rage driving and like everything like until I realized, oh oh you're You're as bad as Fox has but from a different point of view, Right, I need to find something that's more fair and biased unbiased. Tell me about these brazil nuts and more importantly, why only to a day?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, my doctor told me my cholesterol was at the high end of normal. That feels like something that starts happening to you when you have grandkids or something younger. It happens when you're younger, I mean, certainly to me. So I panicked, panicked my therapist at the time I revealed to him this piece of information. He said his husband had high cholesterol, started taking two brazil nuts a day. It dropped, cholesterol dropped. I was, of course skeptical about everything. This therapist told me. We've since parted ways. Oh no, seriously, yes, I mean it was horrible, but it was just it was it doesn't click, It doesn't it didn't click. He wore some really chunky boots. Let's be got that threw me. It threw me too. Chunky heels on the boots. It was like it looked like he was going to do a Depeche Mode concert at all times, which is fine, but you know, it threw me. I was I was thinking about Depeche Mode, right, But he recommended the brazil nuts. I started taking the brazil nuts. My cholesterol is normal now to you oday. And I obviously did some research online. I looked at which actually means nothing. That actually means absolutely nothing. That actually should be a warning sign about the brazil nuts. But it seems like there have been some serious studies done about brazil nuts that if you take two minimum to a day or no, I think like it's eight a month.
Speaker 4: Is like the eight a month. What they've tested two a day is sixty a month. Yeah, that's more than eight. Why not do sixty? I would do a day.
Speaker 3: It's a nice little snack. Do you like a brazil nut?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I do, you're gonna learn. You're gonna learn to like a brazil lunt. What's your current cholesterol?
Speaker 4: It is I'm on a statin, so it is. It is. I border on high order on you.
Speaker 5: Okay, but enough where he gave me the statin too, so that I can enjoy foods.
Speaker 3: Are you eating a lot of red meat?
Speaker 4: I do eat a lot of red meat, but that's for other healthy reas.
Speaker 3: Oh so you're eating that for the iron.
Speaker 4: I forget why.
Speaker 5: But I do eat a lot of red meats and uh and chicken chickens.
Speaker 3: No fish, But you don't eat any fish.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't care for it.
Speaker 3: Will you eat fish if it's presented to you?
Speaker 4: What do you mean by that? Like you.
Speaker 3: Like all we have is house, you're not eating?
Speaker 5: No way I'll have I'll no way is a fact child?
Speaker 4: No way? I know. I don't like it. I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, here's the here's what's sick. Once a year I get a fly of fish.
Speaker 3: Oh and that's the one fish I won't eat. Oh it's delicious because it's not flathered.
Speaker 4: In matar sauce. That tartar sauce doing the heavy lifting.
Speaker 5: I think, I think if they just give me a bump with the tartar sauce, i'd be happy. And then growing up and I and I still would go like, if you said, right now, there's a a not Arthur Treachers, you ninety year old man. Uh, what is the uh what's the chain? The fish Shain.
Speaker 3: McDonald, John c oh John c Riley.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ray got a fish place.
Speaker 3: There's a fish chain with John Silver fond Long John Silver.
Speaker 5: If you said, after this, hey, let's go, let's go. You know what I I said, you want I love Long John Silvers, you want to go, I would probably get there. You get two chickens in one fish plank.
Speaker 3: They serve chicken there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not that bad.
Speaker 3: That feels like a bad move at Long John Silver's.
Speaker 5: Well, they got to get it to the idiots like me who don't want the fish. Who go there with somebody who likes to fish, but.
Speaker 3: You would eat their fish.
Speaker 4: You like a fried fish. I like a fried fish, fish and chip. I like a fish and chips.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes everybody likes that.
Speaker 5: But but not if it's gross, it's I I dude, we don't have time to talk about my my My eating weirdness is.
Speaker 3: Do you have a heart. You're a picky eater.
Speaker 5: I'm picky only in that I I don't if I don't like the way something looks, I'm out.
Speaker 4: Wow, I could be I'm easily nauseated. Okay.
Speaker 5: I also, and this is my people are sick of me talking about this, I cannot smell food being cooked, any food.
Speaker 4: Unless it's like barbecue outside. I can.
Speaker 5: But like, if like I walked into your house and its the Google's was in there cooking something up and I smelled it, I would I would have I got nauseated and possibly vomited.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I cannot smell food your whole It happened in the nineties at some point.
Speaker 4: I remember exactly where I was, I don't remember.
Speaker 5: I believe they were cooking a bad batch of ground beef, rant and meat.
Speaker 4: I think that that's the only explanation.
Speaker 5: But I was at this person's home, and again I don't even know whose home it was, but I was there, and I remember walking into the kitchen seeing the mother cooking this, and me going oh, and then running outside and vomiting on the front lawn. And since then it started with I can't smell ground beef being cooked right now, it's kind of everything.
Speaker 3: I will say, ground beef being cooked is probably my least favorite food smell. It's kind of gross, right, Yeah, it's like get some or something happening there because right now.
Speaker 4: It just smells like hot grease. It's that's what it was.
Speaker 5: Let's throw some I grew up in a very poor household, so we had a lot of Hamburger helper.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, And I had no problem with that. Like so growing up with that was not a problem. It was whatever happened in the nineties.
Speaker 3: What about things being baked?
Speaker 4: What do you mean by like a cake?
Speaker 3: A cake?
Speaker 4: A cookie?
Speaker 3: You even handle that?
Speaker 4: I beg you for you please give me a fresh cookie.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good to know. It's just the savory meals.
Speaker 5: It's mostly the meat. Okay, meat I cannot and I can't see. Food needs to be a magic trick to me. I can't see. I don't cook at all. I cannot see. Uh Like, hey, I'm making chicken. I can't see the chicken before it's on my plate.
Speaker 4: Done.
Speaker 3: What about at a restaurant where the kitchen is like an open kitchen?
Speaker 4: Do it?
Speaker 3: No? Said that would be a nightmare for you, a pure hell.
Speaker 5: And again this all happened late in life. I used to love going to beny Hanna as a kid, and they go all that right in front of it, their little display in their show forget. Couldn't do that now that I haven't turned at least I could. I haven't tried the benihanna in a while.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe got that feels like a risky move at this point.
Speaker 4: That feels really dangerous. Whorst that can happen? I over the grill.
Speaker 5: I think I would. I don't think I think I would excuse myself. I don't think I would.
Speaker 3: I think make the memory, at least the story for the whole restaurant, for everybody.
Speaker 5: Everybody would You're never gonna guess what happened last night, right, Give everybody a.
Speaker 3: Story, and then none of those people will ever be able to smell cooked vomit again.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't even want to. I don't even want to hear the words.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry. If anyone's eating breakfast right now, or trying to enjoy anything.
Speaker 4: Or these two brazil nuts make no mistake.
Speaker 5: On my drive home, I will stop at Sprouts, get a bag, and get a bag of brazil nuts.
Speaker 4: I may even go and get a brazil uh Brazilian day.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they're actually what's that thing called.
Speaker 4: A brazil Brazilian wax? Wax? Couldn't get the word the wax, get.
Speaker 3: The nuts, enjoy your day.
Speaker 4: It's a good day. It's a Brazilian day. Maybe put on some Sergio Mendes, is that Brazilian Hit the beach.
Speaker 3: You're ready, You're ready to go Brazil. Let's feel like a good beach snack. Actually, I'm recommending that as a beach snackck.
Speaker 4: Is that your recommendation? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Wow, I need if it's a big statement, I'm recommended that as a beach snack.
Speaker 4: Now, that may be my favorite thing you've ever said. You've said a lot of things I've enjoyed. Good. Good.
Speaker 3: Well, look, Jimmy, Yeah, well, Actually one other thing I wanted to ask you about. Is it true that those were created for Catholics.
Speaker 5: I don't know the origin of that, but I will tell you growing up, we would have them every Friday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because because you came forty nine cents, they were cheap.
Speaker 5: Wow, what a bargain. I'm an old man that deal. And so yeah, we would have those every because I grew up Catholic.
Speaker 3: Right, and you can't eat meat on Friday during Lent. During Oh, Jim's dad, I think would eat pulay a fish every Friday.
Speaker 4: Might be year around. I think my dad you around wow with the with the Friday fish.
Speaker 3: So I wonder if that's true that they added that to the menu.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Donalise, everybody got Ronald on the blower?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, actually invented in Cincinnati, Ohio in nineteen sixty two in a franchise that saw declining sales on Fridays and so it was in a neighborhood that had predominantly a Catholic population, and so to kind of get bring people back into the fold. The McDonald's hold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, say this. I'm a professor.
Speaker 5: I've made my living as a professional broadcaster, whether it be on television or via podcasting. You've got a wonderful voice, neither of compared to what that young lady just did.
Speaker 3: Voice Aunly does all sorts of recording everything from the vocals, vocals, professional vocalists.
Speaker 4: What kind of songs do we hear? Does anal what I can?
Speaker 3: I can like some a new wavy power pop.
Speaker 5: Give me an example like a yeas what would you say?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: A little yeahs I mine alto. Lately, I've been writing more like nineties kind of.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of keyboards, there's a lot of I want to be clear. I don't want to hear originals. I want to hear you do covers.
Speaker 3: You want to hear on Alisa at a wedding.
Speaker 5: I want to hear songs I know with this beautiful voice.
Speaker 4: That's what I want.
Speaker 5: Don't go into what I've been writing, lost interest, don't care about your process.
Speaker 4: I want to hear you sink songs I already know.
Speaker 3: Do Blondie do telephone line?
Speaker 4: Yeahah, hang out with a telephone on repeat? Let me while you have the mic and I and probably I'm not hijacking out.
Speaker 3: I'm going back inside.
Speaker 4: Did you look it up?
Speaker 5: What word I was trying to think of about somebody that rents out a room in your house?
Speaker 4: A border? Found border? I didn't have to do. You have your time?
Speaker 3: Border? Yeah, that's got a lot like a lodger, I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, border border a lodger.
Speaker 5: Lodger stuff that you've made up. But uh, I will stand by that. And again, I want to be a word.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely a word I don't I don't know if it is. You knew what it was as soon as I know.
Speaker 4: What you meant because of the context cleared well.
Speaker 3: That I created a beautiful word, and I should be. I mean, how do I make money off that? I guess my my job.
Speaker 5: You will not need to make money from it, because you'll be You're gonna be rolling a dough from your your promoting Brazilian nuts again as a beachnack.
Speaker 3: As a beachnack, specifically, get your bag of brazil nuts at Sprouts. That's the perfect place, by the way to buy a beach nut. No interesting, never night, do not buy a beach nut. Buy a brazil nut.
Speaker 4: What if I like beachnuts? Follow up? What's a beachnut?
Speaker 3: That's a good? That's a real thing, though, I said.
Speaker 5: Color of a wood that you buy like it's one of the choices, like when you go to buy a.
Speaker 3: Prefads where it's like the flooring. It's not a real It might not even be a real thing. I've never it sounds like a real thing.
Speaker 4: Get the beachnut.
Speaker 3: Beach nut, that's e h nut. W Yeah. On Lisha is saying yes and is it a nut?
Speaker 4: Wow? I is it something? Is it a color of furniture?
Speaker 3: It's got to be a color of furniture every nuts. Probably you can probably buy an almond couch.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a nice color couch. Yeah, well I guess that would be a beigey be nice.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I threw us off with the filet of fish. There's something more important we need to talk about. Oh yes, I was so excited to have you here on the podcast. You know, we met years ago, as discussed on your podcast at They Won and Only Jeff Franklin's Home Insane Circumstances, And I was thrilled to be on your podcast. I was thrilled to have you here. You're a professional, You've been doing this for such a long time. You're you're one of the original, probably one of the original podcasters. Would you say?
Speaker 4: They called me a pioneer. Incredible, I wanted. I don't mean at one point they said I was the first.
Speaker 5: I certainly was not claim it, no, because if I the one time I went yeah, I might have been.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 4: Well, you know you're not right, Like, well, then who is? I think Adam Curry was the first one.
Speaker 5: Okay, there was a show out of the on the East Coach called Keith and the Girl that were around a little bit before us. Okay, and then but Todd Glass put it in his book Best I was the and this is no direct disrespecting.
Speaker 4: Heath and the girl. They're wonderful people.
Speaker 5: Todd Glass said in his book, Jimmy Parter was the first person you had heard of that had a podcast, right, that's for me, and so I will own that. So but I but I know I was not the first one. I certainly we started in two thousand and six. We were there pretty early on Wild.
Speaker 3: I feel like I was working at the Apple Store at the time, and you guys were probably you know, we were to promote podcasts. Yeah, and at the time, I was like, I don't know what we're talking about here. I'll put music on my iPod. Leave me alone with you.
Speaker 4: Don't want the talking.
Speaker 5: You don't want the you don't what the beautiful sound of.
Speaker 4: My voice talking about I made.
Speaker 3: What a mistake.
Speaker 4: I could have lost a lot, we could have become.
Speaker 3: You would be my friend from afar, like podcasters are yes for decades, and then this would be a scary interview.
Speaker 5: Oh they'd be very frightening. But luckily that luckily you didn't listen to me. So we're able to meet as human beings exactly.
Speaker 3: But okay, so we've confirmed your professional She was excited to have you here.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: The podcast is called I said, no gifts. Yeah, so it was a little thrown, a little shaken when you come trotting up into my backyard holding what's clearly two gifts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we've got like a larger box here. This is happy birthday all over it, and then a thin gift.
Speaker 4: So what's happening? What's going on here?
Speaker 5: Well, to your point, my son this morning, my wife is out of town at the moment, okay, and so my son this morning said, what's.
Speaker 4: With the gifts?
Speaker 5: And I said, I'm doing a podcast today, I called at Bridge of Windergers podcast I called.
Speaker 4: I said, no gifts, So I'm bringing the gifts.
Speaker 5: And he went, well, it's right in the name, Dad, you're not supposed to bring any gifts. And I said, yeah, I think the premise is you're still supposed.
Speaker 4: To bring gifts.
Speaker 5: And and you, as I said, I've done no research. I still brought gifts because I've been to so many parties where I see the thing that says no gifts, you bring a gift.
Speaker 3: I play along with any premise, send your son next time.
Speaker 4: He said, you know what he's a good kid. He'd be a good gift.
Speaker 3: Has he ever been on a podcast?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he doesn't mind quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, Yes, he's ever done a stranger's podcast.
Speaker 4: When Hamilton was at its peak.
Speaker 5: Okay, we went on the airwolf Hamilton, who hosts the Trayvon General's name who hosted it, And we went on as a father's son who are obsessed with Hamilton.
Speaker 3: What an activity, What a great father son activity.
Speaker 5: It was fun and he was great. In fact, he as he does on my show. He stole the show. And if you listen to that that Hamilton podcast, they did a lot of editing Jimmy Parto out and it's a lot of Oliver Parto And rightfully so.
Speaker 3: I feel like your son probably knows more about Hamilton. Is that true?
Speaker 4: He you know what, he knows how to talk about it better than I do. What he likes.
Speaker 5: I just I like Hamblton and like the same thing, like my favorite band of Chicago.
Speaker 4: What do you like about it? I like them. I don't know how to get in the weeds. It's hard to talk about things you like in specifics. I think, oh, thank you for giving me that excuse that I really, it's.
Speaker 3: True, Especially with music, I start to feel like such a dork when I'm like getting into details. I'm just like, I like it. It's I like to hear it loud. I don't know.
Speaker 4: People get on me about I love it, and I'm sick of defending it. I'm just owning it.
Speaker 5: I love classic rock. I love classic rock, and I love the eighties. I don't care that it's not hip. I don't care that they're not playing at Space or you know, some unique venue space.
Speaker 4: I like what I like. But if you ask me, why do you like it? I don't. I don't know. My ears enjoy it. Clicks, it clicks.
Speaker 5: It isn't nostalgia, probably right, but it's but I love it.
Speaker 4: And why do you care? Live your life like what you like? I like what I like. That said, who is your favorite?
Speaker 3: So I could judge favorite band of all time or artist. It's hard for me to say. I don't know that I have a favorite anymore. I like guitar music. I mean, I like all music, but if a guitar is there, I'm happy.
Speaker 4: Like a jungle guitar.
Speaker 3: I like a jngle guitar. I like a distorted guitar. Jim says a lot of the music I listened to sounds like he's having an MRI.
Speaker 4: Which, ah, what does Jim like? I think? I think I probably more aligned with Jim.
Speaker 3: Jim likes he likes a lot of musical theater. I do too, And then he likes a lot of pop music, which I like a lot of pop music.
Speaker 4: But does he also loves the standards? Right, he loves the standards. I heard enough of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't like. Do you like a Sinatra?
Speaker 5: I had my Sinatra phase when I was in eighth grade, and and then I'm over in Cologne.
Speaker 3: I can't get into a Sinatra. It sounds I just feel like I'm a macaroni grill. I'm just like, this is not for me. But Jim listens to I've kind of converted him to a little bit of my music, like kind of the the easier music music I listened to. But there is a lot of my music that is extremely loud, and I recognize that it's abrasive and that it's not foreverone.
Speaker 4: Okay, but for me, it's for you who cares?
Speaker 3: Who cares?
Speaker 4: I don't care? All right? Okay, you got the gifts. You brought these gifts?
Speaker 3: Should I open them here on the podcast?
Speaker 4: Why would you not? I don't know you brought them. I would, I would hope that you would. I would start with the tiny one.
Speaker 3: Okay, this kind of magazine, yesque thin, Yeah, Okay, we're gonna get Oh, this is a pretty wrapping paper. It's got some there's a change.
Speaker 4: I might have to take that wrapping home.
Speaker 3: Take it home with you, frament. Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna be very careful.
Speaker 4: You know you don't have to. I love the feel of this rap Take a look at the inside of that wrapper, that rapping as well. Is it a leather. It's not a leather. It is a silver. But also that.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like the inside of a balloon like balloon. Yeah, gorgeous. This is a reversible wrapping paper.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I won't with the blueing stereo. Yeah. Now take a look at that. There's your first gift. You're welcome, You're welcome.
Speaker 3: This is a gift I received recently when the Lady to Lady podcast hosts were on the show, and it's a photo of them unframed this time.
Speaker 4: But now I have this I forgot to frame it. Damn it.
Speaker 5: Why did you bring this? Here's why did they give it to you? Brandy Posey, who I adore, she's so bad. Uh and I've known for ages. She was as she appeared on my podcast and h I believe she was leaving there to come to yours. Okay, okay, And I said, oh, I'm doing that soon. I'm excited about doing it. And I said, what gift.
Speaker 4: Are you bringing?
Speaker 5: And she said, well, we did this thing where we I'm sure she went, we took a photograph at Pennies or were seers, and so we're bringing him that framed. And I said, I'm doing the same thing, and she goes, you're gonn take photo? No, no, no, you're gonna give me one of those. And I'm bringing that same photograph and uh, I did forget to frame it. So that's on me, right, But the good news is you don't have now two frames to throw over.
Speaker 3: I can get a different fresh.
Speaker 4: So I brought that for just for the joke. How many of these do they own? At least two?
Speaker 5: Well, Sazero, you have both of them.
Speaker 4: Well I've got to give this to somebody. Wow, keep that moving.
Speaker 3: So did she bring she brought it to you at a later time, or did you go pick it back the next day and dropped it off a professional.
Speaker 4: I even said I'll come and get it. I'll be in the area.
Speaker 3: She was happy to do it.
Speaker 4: I don't have to do anything.
Speaker 3: Do you get family photos with your son and your wife?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 3: Do families not do that anymore?
Speaker 5: I think they do, they do, but I think it's not a certain kind of family.
Speaker 4: We never.
Speaker 5: We did never when when Oliver was very tiny, we did do the only because we kind of felt like we had to bring him to one of those photo places.
Speaker 3: You did a shirtless one with him, you were holding him naked.
Speaker 4: No, heaven snow, he was in a little sailor suit.
Speaker 5: You know we did that, Okay, Yes, and he looked adorable and grandparents loved them, of course, But we did it because, like I think, we felt like, the grandparents want these photos, of course, but we're not the hate. Let's go to Pennies and or sears and get these photos.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a less common thing now.
Speaker 5: I think just in our bubble. I think in our circle it's less common. I think if you, if you would just leave your elite Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Bubble, get out of my limousines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and see how the real world lives take. Stop doing laps in my pool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in your infinity pool that we're overlooking.
Speaker 3: Washing a peasant drown in.
Speaker 5: Yes, and you're infinity pool, by the way, just watching your office flesh.
Speaker 3: That's my personal person It is an endless pool of just filth. Well interesting, So you feel like other people are getting their pictures taken.
Speaker 5: I think when I go when I go to the mall, like if I'm doing a gig in Cedar Rapids, iowa, right, and I'm killing time after lunch, and I'm walking around the mall, and I believe I will see that that photo place is booming.
Speaker 4: There happened.
Speaker 5: They've got a family there, They've got a family waiting, right, and they've got a lot of other families on the books.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's my take.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean my family got pictures probably every two years when I was growing up, well probably every three.
Speaker 4: Every three years. How many other people would be in those photographs.
Speaker 3: It was a family of six, so my four three siblings and I and my two parents.
Speaker 4: Every few years, it would your parents hang them on the wall. So that you can look at yourself.
Speaker 3: I don't think they were hung on walls before I guess memories. I think occasionally they were framed and put on top of the piano. Otherwise, I have no idea where those photos were going. They're probably in a closet at this point, because I haven't seen one in years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually I have.
Speaker 3: I took where I saw a recent one because I took a photo of it on my phone. But I don't know where my mom's hoarding those things.
Speaker 4: I would imasgine a box somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we recently took a family photo in my parents' backyards. You did because my mom wanted a picture of the whole the nieces and nephews and my grandma.
Speaker 5: Well, we'll do that, like if my dad was to have a family reunion, right, we would all then Hey, we're all here, let's take a photograph and you put it on Facebook and then you.
Speaker 4: Forget it ever happened. But you're not going to the studio. We are not.
Speaker 3: What would it take to get you and your wife and Oliver to the photo studio.
Speaker 5: I think even if they called and said you want to come down for a free photo, we wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: I think my I don't think we would do it. We're just not those people.
Speaker 3: I cannot imagine you in the under the circumstances.
Speaker 5: I I'm not a fan of getting my photograph taken, so I showed certainly to go into television.
Speaker 4: I don't like it. I don't like the way I look at photographs, and I don't like good looking man. I was not fishing for compliments. I will take that, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's just a fact I feel like you probably photographed well.
Speaker 5: Can I tell you were the second person this week that told me that? And I am now gonna fly high for another week. On this last Friday, a friend of ours, mutual friend who is amazingly handsome and that was on the been on the.
Speaker 4: Cover of GQ. Wow.
Speaker 5: He commented on how handsome I'm looking these days, and I've never felt lower, quite frankly. So he made me feel feel great. And then that was a week ago. Today I was kind of going, oh no, I don't know, maybe he was lying, and I kind of was like, coming on a down and boom, here you come to bring me right back.
Speaker 4: Wow. So his was unprompted. His was unprompted.
Speaker 3: Wow, And so now you're hooked.
Speaker 5: But you know you're kind of unprompted as well, because I was talking about no, I was saying, I don't like the way I look.
Speaker 3: So now you're looking for any way to get this complet every Friday.
Speaker 5: Now, every Friday, I gotta be somewhere going, even if it's gonna.
Speaker 4: Be like, do I look okay? Am I handsome? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like the other problem with the suit thing is you have to coordinate outfits, which.
Speaker 4: Is and we ain't doing that. That's not happening.
Speaker 5: That's a little too that's a little too hipster for us too. I can see a hipster.
Speaker 3: Couple doing that ironically, ironically okay, with their dog, and we're not.
Speaker 4: We're not that either, Right, You've.
Speaker 3: Got to be on one end of the spectrum, like a real earnest or ironic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we're certainly we lean more towards the irony, but not that we're not. We don't have Flamingo's at our front lawn. We're not those people were.
Speaker 3: I feel like we're almost because we love our dogs so much. We're almost to the earnest part of getting a photo with our dog. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Oh no, well Smagool's is out east, right, so it's gonna leaves tomorrow.
Speaker 3: He leaves tomorrow, and so it probably won't happen tonight. We'll avoid getting a picture with a dog another season. But you never know.
Speaker 5: You forgot to tell me when you did my show off the air, because you cannot say that the time.
Speaker 4: What show, Jimmy is in a lot.
Speaker 3: Now you can say Spamelot's coming back to Broadway, buy your tickets on Oh that's exciting, Yeah, with past guests of the podcast Tar and kill him.
Speaker 4: Actually he's the star of it.
Speaker 5: I just saw announced, right, Yeah, so that starts I think opening or no previews beginning on Halloween.
Speaker 3: It's opening night November sixteenth. I think it's very excity.
Speaker 4: What theaters are at I don't know.
Speaker 3: Jim said it probably says it ten times a day, yeah, and I cannot Maybe the Saint John is that a theater.
Speaker 5: It was a name that I was not familiar with, and it sounded like a local parish. Oh it's more than it did a theater. So maybe that's right.
Speaker 3: It's got We're gonna get an answer ound to at least get into it. Yes, s Bamelot, it's back on Broadway. Jim hasn't been on Broadway in twelve years. That's exciting that he's so thrilled to do it.
Speaker 5: I understand all of the New York's talking about his return. I said that for Huber, but it sounded too mean as it came out. I wonder if he knows another friend of mine that's on Broadway, Rob Colletti.
Speaker 4: There's no Rob.
Speaker 3: Let me know who what does Rob? Rob's a Broadway performer as well in anything currently?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I couldn't tell you what I want.
Speaker 3: Don't say it because it's a competitor to Spamalot. I'm sure it might sell spamalot tickets here Sat.
Speaker 4: He might be making his return down Rob Colletti, I should tell you this. I don't know Rob Colletti. Rob I know.
Speaker 5: I know through Twitter and another mutual friend. And I threw it out there like I on a daily basis. Rob Colletti is a big white Sox fan, as am I. Okay, but he is a Broadway performer who's a big white Sox fan. And I'm a jackass comedian who is a white Sox fan and there are few and far between of us that are white Sox fans, right, who are then also in entertainment?
Speaker 3: Right, it's a small cross, very small. Yea on a Lisa, did we find out where the theater is?
Speaker 4: My computer is not is smoking?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Well you know, you just google Spamalon you'll find out. I believe it's the Saint John.
Speaker 4: I would say spam a lot Broadway should get you right there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't, then there the producers are doing a bad job.
Speaker 4: I would agree s.
Speaker 3: CEO is not working out in their favor.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: A search engine optimization wow, which is kind of what's ruining the Internet. Keywords they feel, you know, when you're searching for something, it'll bring it to the top of the results. I used to do that for overstock dot com. Well you did, which is now called Bedbath and Beyond, which is insane to me.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, Overstock has become bed Bath and Beyond. So did not go out to business.
Speaker 3: They did go out of business. I guess Overstock swooped. They swooped in and they're like, we're going to buy that name for some reason, because people like that name, and it's not associated with the wild man who is running overstock dot com who was having an affair with the Russian spy and was like a Maga psycho.
Speaker 4: I I knew the mega psycho party the other he.
Speaker 3: Was like having an affair with the spy. I think Overstock was like, we've got to get away from the name. They're now bed Bath and Beyond.
Speaker 4: Interesting, and so you can still buy the same thing. I can go there and buy an almond.
Speaker 3: Couch popopulation like a hideous element catch and then probably get they must have those coupons. The bed Bath and Beyond wass for what would.
Speaker 4: Think bed Bath and Beyond is now known as.
Speaker 5: A failure, I because they've closed everywhere. So why would that be? I understand get rid of overstock.
Speaker 3: Sure, because that's also known as a failure. And then I can say that as a former employee.
Speaker 4: But now bed beath Beyond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting move to pick up a It's like dying name. It's like taking a stealing a dead person's name. Yeah, one of those people. I guess that's what spies do. Actually, speaking of spies, or at least according to the Americans, I never watched it. I feel like spies will find a dead person and then they take over that name, take their social Security number. How am I talking? I'm not the expert on this.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you are. Sounds you're the spy expert.
Speaker 3: How did we get to bed, bath, and beyond?
Speaker 4: You used to working over stock before that? Oh? Se o s e o.
Speaker 3: We're learning about the internet. The Internet's broken. You don't like it, You can't use it anymore.
Speaker 4: It's bad.
Speaker 5: I am grateful for the Internet because it's given me a career of me too, but I hate everything about it because.
Speaker 3: Of what you just Yeah, I mean yeah, it's just totally and it's not what it used to be, not what it used to.
Speaker 4: It's a weird thing to say about something that is still so modern.
Speaker 3: Right and now it feels twenty years ago, feels so old fashioned. The things we were doing on the internet, where everything felt innocent, and you went on there with your hobby and looked at your hobby, yes, and then got off the internet. You weren't You never screamed at anyone. No one ever screamed at you, right, you weren't tricked.
Speaker 4: What happened to you? What do you mean you were tricked. You're constantly getting tricked on you. How are you being tricked?
Speaker 3: I was just on vacation. I was looking for you know, like what are the best restaurants? That's an impossible thing now because of SEO, you like google best restaurants in the city, fifty blogs will show up. They're all created by essentially robots. Right, you can't trust anything, trust nothing on the internet.
Speaker 4: Okay, I will not.
Speaker 3: I'm out of websites. I don't even go to websites anymore. Really what websites do you go to?
Speaker 4: Go to a music one? Which music one?
Speaker 5: It's called melodic rock dot com. I like the name of They've been around forever.
Speaker 3: Melodic rock.
Speaker 4: A lot of rock dot Okay, I bet I could get into that.
Speaker 5: It's very uh like if you like Journey, right classic it's bands they kind of sound like Journey bad English. It's but but current. Oh and also talking about the retro Okay, okay, you know right.
Speaker 4: It's that sounding. It's almost it's like it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 5: Not yacht rock. But is a niche area.
Speaker 3: Like a highly polished rock music. Yeah, that makes sense to me. That stuff you would hear it like when they have the cars, uh, the hot rods at Bob's Big Boy.
Speaker 4: No, that's more. Don't you have more fifties for that? I'd be more. Doo wop?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, God, somebody's still listening to du wop. I guess it's that scene, right, I love do wop?
Speaker 4: You do not love do wap? Everyone loves do wop.
Speaker 5: Nobody likes it more than a song. And then you go, oh, that was nice. Now let's get back to our birthday party. No, it's hard.
Speaker 3: Never mad when do wop is on?
Speaker 4: Are you No, I'm never mad.
Speaker 3: I know, I know this song. Listen to those harmonies.
Speaker 5: You're right, but I two songs tops all of a sudden, you're gonna talk me to all right? Nine songs tops a day and a half a duop and then I'm out.
Speaker 3: I like anything you would hear it in a sockhop.
Speaker 4: I don't dislike a sock cop. I mean been to one in ages?
Speaker 3: Have you? You've actually been to a sock cop?
Speaker 4: Well back when, you know, back when we would do theme dances at school.
Speaker 3: Even then it was like it was like a novelty thing. So you've never been to a literal sock cop.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I mean you were.
Speaker 3: I grew up with the fifty Yeah you weren't fifteen and nineteen fifty two.
Speaker 4: No I was not.
Speaker 3: So there's no way you could have been to an act.
Speaker 4: No, I was at one.
Speaker 5: Like, let's do a fifties dance and then and again, I go up in a neighborhood was relatively poor, So a fifties dance was easy because.
Speaker 4: Everybody had a white T shirt and jeans.
Speaker 3: Everyone should have a white T shirt and jeans.
Speaker 4: It's a great look. That is a it's a classic look.
Speaker 3: You can't go wrong with that, right, as far as I'm concerned, I.
Speaker 4: Wish I could pull just that off.
Speaker 3: I don't know that you could absolutely pull that.
Speaker 4: Oh I can't. I'm not fishing. I'm not fishing here. Let's not go back to this.
Speaker 3: Everyone can pull that look off?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think you can. I also not everybody can pull off the V neck T shirt.
Speaker 3: Well, no one currently in this period of history. No one can pull it off because it's out of fashion. Is it really doesn't look good? Looks bad.
Speaker 4: That's got to be the right guy. I think you.
Speaker 3: Think of the right Well, I mean, of course, an incredible looking person, whatever the hell.
Speaker 5: They want to come in with the V neck and you go look at that guy, and then I go, you know what, V necks are back? And then I go get a V neck and then I look at the mirror and go nope, and take it off and get immediately back to the crew.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But this is the second time v nex have been brought up on this podcast within the last like six weeks. So obviously they're in the air. Back they are, they're they're at least simmering, and they're gonna be back and then we'll regret it to then you know, the cycle of fashion continues.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, you gotta be you just gotta I think you've gotta be strikingly good looking to pull off the V neck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, until they're back in fashion, and then everyone thinks they're pulling it.
Speaker 4: You in a deep V neck V neck, I mean, nobody wants that. Nobody wants that.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a bold look.
Speaker 4: I do own some v nex though, so I can wear with a dress shirt.
Speaker 3: Oh, interesting, So you'll wear an undershirt with I guess I'll wear an undershirt. Oh, but you want it unbuttoned. Wait, so why are you wearing it with a dress shirt fully unbuttoned dress shirt?
Speaker 5: What if you have fully un butttoned like it's Michael in the video. No, no, like, all right, I'm at a wedding.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're at a wedding.
Speaker 4: And then hey, the wedding is getting a little hot.
Speaker 3: I want to take my tie off. I don't want a T shirt showing, right. That's a good the v never thought about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, interesting, and it's just enough where nobody's going look at that guy with his shirt undone, like, you know, it's not Danny Terrio, it's.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's like the eleven thirty at a wedding.
Speaker 5: Long Yeah, okay, well that said everybody would understand.
Speaker 4: Oh he took his tie off.
Speaker 5: Now we can see his T shirt, right because everybody else had the dance flow is doing that too, right.
Speaker 3: So, but it looks a little less cool when you can see the T shirt there. Yeah you want to Yeah, you wanted to look a little more casual.
Speaker 4: There was the era where you could get away with that.
Speaker 5: I remember learning that on Queerie, where you could wear a colored T shirt under a dress shirt.
Speaker 4: Oh that looks so bad. It looks bad.
Speaker 5: I wore that on stage for years because of queer eye, and I was like, yeah, this is what they said to wear. And then somebody pointed out you seven years ago. Fair, very fair.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we haven't even opened the big gift gift here yet. Should I open this now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is a much larger It's like in a shoe box or something. Oh, it's heavy.
Speaker 4: Gets way to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've dropped that.
Speaker 4: I'm glad. I was kind of careful. You do it.
Speaker 3: Uh no, I want to hold this. I can do two things at once.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to be of assistant ripping and.
Speaker 3: We love the rip, we love the tear.
Speaker 4: Now, this can't possibly be what the gift is. Yeah, it is, sure.
Speaker 3: Wait is this a car vacuum car back? And it's actually a carvack? There's nothing else in here open. I'm thrilled about this.
Speaker 4: I'm over the moon. It's yours. Why did you bring this? Here's why.
Speaker 3: It's a black and decker auto auto pivot vac.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's even pivot on its own. I will be doing no pivoting.
Speaker 5: I may that may be a mistake that I brought that that's a that's that's a nice gift for a dumb for a dumb hay bring a stupid gift thing. Uh, here's why, let me walking through it.
Speaker 4: Uh. I received that all right.
Speaker 5: Let's see, we started doing a wet white elephant on Christmas Eve several years back, and somebody brought that right, and I got it. I landed that as the white elephant. You know what white elephants where.
Speaker 4: It's recompetitive. Yeah, competitive, right, you don't know what you're getting. I want that one. I'm mad was that.
Speaker 3: I usually leave those mad that I didn't get the item I wanted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but is that that's part of the joy. No, not for me, not for you.
Speaker 3: I came to win.
Speaker 4: It's not a win.
Speaker 3: I came to win a vacu.
Speaker 5: Some people bring something like this like a back, and then other people will wrap up a potato, right, and that's fun too.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's fun. We love it.
Speaker 5: I love the white elephant. So anyway that person brought it, I got it. I then put it back in the circulation. Okay, somebody else got it. Then it came back to me.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Then the lockdown happened, and that's been with me since Christmas twenty nineteen. Wow, And I went, well, we don't know if we're doing Christmas Eve this year. We don't know if there's a White Elephants. I know how I can shake this thing loose.
Speaker 4: And here you have it.
Speaker 3: So you never had any plans to use it.
Speaker 5: No, I was going to completely just keep it was gonna be a running gag at the White Elephant.
Speaker 4: And now it's for you. I'm through now that I've opened it. Really look at it. That's a nice gift.
Speaker 3: Occasionally you need to vacuum the car and you're not at the car wash.
Speaker 4: You're, Oh, you're gonna store this thing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put it in the car. You are, I'll put it in the trunk. And it looks like it's car powered. I don't need to charge it or anything.
Speaker 4: It was car powered.
Speaker 3: So when I, you know, dump bird seat or whatever in the car, yeah, I don't. I don't need to turn to anyone. I can use the vacuum.
Speaker 4: Follow up, real quest, how often are you dumping bird seat?
Speaker 3: I'm on my way to the AVI area, I'm on my way to the pond, you know, I'm on my way to the Union Square. I'm just throwing bird seed. I love to feed the bird constant. Now my car's pretty tidy. I've got to keep a tidy car, do you.
Speaker 5: I keep my car as if it was still in the showroom. Wow, I am very nuts when it comes to any sort of our house. My friends used to call our house the model home because it would be, uh pristine.
Speaker 4: But it's like, well it is because you've came over.
Speaker 5: I cleaned the house, but it always kind of is close to that. My wife, my wife and son would prefer that I loosen.
Speaker 4: Up a little bit, so you're driving all of this one hundred. If they leave a glass out, they hear about it.
Speaker 5: And I've loosened up where I I now just passive aggressively.
Speaker 4: I'll move these and then I do it.
Speaker 5: But my car is like right now, there are some things on the my son got because I had to drop my son to school today. There is some stuff on the passenger floor mat that will be vacuumed up by day's end.
Speaker 4: What are they? You know, after something from a tree that you pine cone? It's a giant pine cone, oh jacket?
Speaker 5: Uh like maybe some little nut of some sort, like some little things some tree ner, our house, drops.
Speaker 3: The beach nut or something falling there. Okay, so do you have any like car rules like no drinks in the car, no eating in the car.
Speaker 5: Currently, no eating. This particular vehicle is only two months old. Oh yeah, but I can have a five year old one and you can eat, and eventually you can eat the car.
Speaker 3: There's a period with every car that you break through and you're like, well, I'm just going to eat here, right, it doesn't smell as new anymore. What am I going to take?
Speaker 4: Yes? I like to keep that new car smell as long as.
Speaker 3: Possible, right, I feel like I kept mine with my current car, like probably ten months. Good for you, Now it smells like a regular car. I think it's because the dog was in there.
Speaker 4: The dog's going to affect that quickly. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had a little situation with this car where I, in fact, I wrote a national email that they, without my knowledge, sold me a car that was in the showroom.
Speaker 4: Oh, while it is essentially used.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, yes, in their opinion, and in a lawyer's opinion.
Speaker 4: No, a lawyer got involved.
Speaker 5: I got I got some I was really pissed off because it was like, why is there no new car smell in here?
Speaker 4: Why? Right?
Speaker 5: And I know, oh that's interesting. I didn't have to take those off of the light, you know, like the little.
Speaker 4: Sticker, And that's such a satisfying feeling. Oh my god, is there anything more satisfying than that peeling that.
Speaker 3: You get midway through and it just flies off.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 5: I didn't do it as that, and it was like, wait, something's up. And then it dawned on me. This was a showroom car. It's a seat, there's there was some blood on the seat.
Speaker 4: And again that would be my memory. I murdered.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the car dealership's fault.
Speaker 5: I don't like my apologies to you and the attorney I got. I was pissed off, like I, this is.
Speaker 4: Not a to me. I agree it to me.
Speaker 5: That's a used car. Ow Yes, it only had three miles on it. Okay, but people kids, kids were bored waiting for their parents to finish their deal, so they sat.
Speaker 4: In this car.
Speaker 3: Somebody was sitting in there with their car dealership coffee. Yes, touching everything and fiddly.
Speaker 4: And that's the other thing.
Speaker 5: The the the driver's side visor is not as tight as.
Speaker 4: It should be horrible because dangerous people always put that down like, oh, I'm gonna check this car out. Oh okay, that works, and of course that works. You don't have to do that, but this one had hundreds of people doing it.
Speaker 3: Of course that thing is gonna swing down and it's gonna thank you.
Speaker 4: Scalp you that happens, sir.
Speaker 5: I will take I will, I will fire my attorney and bring you in on this.
Speaker 3: I just know a lot more than your stupid attorney.
Speaker 5: Nobody, nobody else agreed with me that I was getting a used car. They all landed on it's only got three miles.
Speaker 4: On it, sir.
Speaker 3: But that's just half of the story. Think that is truly half of the battle.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 5: Not only did the car dealership that agree with me and this attorney, there's a chance my wife and son didn't agree with me. My my closer friends than you did not agree with you. Everybody thinks I'm nuts, but the fact that you went that's essentially used car tells me I'm not completely nuts in this case.
Speaker 4: You're not.
Speaker 3: I'm redean. How long was this legal battle?
Speaker 5: It went back legal battles strong phrase It went on for about seven emails.
Speaker 4: So that's a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they eventually ended up giving me a little bit of money back.
Speaker 3: Okay, but how much can I ask?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Radical honesty? What radical honesty?
Speaker 5: I believe I got five hundred and twenty seven dollars back.
Speaker 4: Not bad something it was.
Speaker 5: It was a weird amount, Okay, Yeah there, And I don't remember why this was grateful that it was somewhat of a win, right, but I think it's an empty win.
Speaker 3: But to get anything back, I'm not even sure what I wanted, Like, yeah, were you thinking you were gonna get a new car?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I kind of was.
Speaker 5: I think in my head I was like I even said, I recognize that now has sixty miles on it, and you can't.
Speaker 4: Give me a new car. But I am open to that as if I'm doing them the favor. And they're like, they.
Speaker 3: And what do you want us to do with this car?
Speaker 4: Right? Well, you sell it at the showroom, put in the showroom. Yeah, it infuriates me.
Speaker 3: Now at the time when you bought it, yeah, well you didn't notice that there was no.
Speaker 4: New car smell. I guess I didn't.
Speaker 3: Not trying to blame the victim here, But.
Speaker 5: I guess I didn't. I guess I just was like, uh, or maybe it had it for that day?
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, you know to me like it?
Speaker 5: But I did notice it very rapidly because that was part of my email, like this car doesn't even have a new car smell and I've only had it four days, Like.
Speaker 4: It was all this was. I reacted quickly to this.
Speaker 3: You were probably riding the high of a new car. You were so excited about every other element of it. I WoT that you were being absolutely ripped off.
Speaker 4: Yes. Wow.
Speaker 5: I also was more focused on the you know what am I getting in the in the interior?
Speaker 4: You know? Do I like the displays? Do I like this? That and the other? So I may not have noticed that at the at the dealer. Wow, clearly I didn't.
Speaker 3: Was it hard buying the car? When I bought my car, it was a nightmare.
Speaker 4: I get a car every three years.
Speaker 5: Okay, leasing, I lease, okay, And it's a nightmare every time.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't have to be. Yeah it shouldn't. Why do we play that game? Are you?
Speaker 3: Do you get into big fights with the salespeople.
Speaker 5: I threatened to walk away, and uh, my friend Adam Ferrara it to only the best thing to do is to go across the street to a competitor and find out a salesman's name.
Speaker 4: There. Oh, go to where you.
Speaker 5: Want to go and go look, I'll go over to Tony. Tony gave me a great deal over at the Ford dealership.
Speaker 3: Clearly a made up.
Speaker 5: Name, and and then the person they but if it's not made up, but they go.
Speaker 3: I think they know Tony over God.
Speaker 4: I think the dealers come out and have some sort of a joust in the.
Speaker 3: Middle of the street. Fights, Yeah, jets.
Speaker 5: They're on auto lane or whatever they call that. Those places where a bunch of dealerships. I think I do think they all know each other. Because I also think that Tony once worked over it.
Speaker 3: Right, there's probably a lot of cross.
Speaker 4: Breeding, a lot of instation.
Speaker 5: That's not a word says incestuous behavior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's there's things happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so that was his advice, and I try and doesn't work.
Speaker 4: You see right through my nest.
Speaker 3: You got to take Gym with Yougoo's good at it. It's deeply uncomfortable when you're with him. I'm like apologizing to the salesperson. But then at some point they reveal themselves as horrible, and I'm like, oh, great, Jim's being horrible to a person who's horrible, and then he gets a great I mean, he gets so much.
Speaker 4: I gotta read Jim.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. You've just got to take someone who's willing to really stand up for themselves and be like, you're trying to rip me off.
Speaker 4: Well, guess who's not doing that?
Speaker 3: Not me, not you? No, well then you're getting ripped off.
Speaker 5: I'm firm about other things, but there, it's kind of like, even though even though I'm in the driver's seat literally literally, they still have some power over I feel they have some power over me because I think they know I'm not walking out right.
Speaker 4: I know you need a car, they know I.
Speaker 3: Need a car, And for me, it's like, who am I to say what a car should cost?
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Right it might be worth tens of thousands of dollars more than they're willing to pay. I don't know. I can't be like, you're this is not the right price, right, but Jim, Jim knows, she knows unless and this would be even more embarrassing. They're still like when we rip them off and that guy freaked out, he's not freaking out, but he's you know, he's like.
Speaker 4: They still got one over on them. Yeah, that would be really embarrassed.
Speaker 5: I think every time I leave, when they you know, how they come out, they go thank you. I think then they turn and did they just all start laughing at Yes. I think they all just laugh at me.
Speaker 3: That sucker, that absolute sucker. And they got you this, son.
Speaker 5: Oh they got me this. There's no question they got me this time. I've talked about this with my therapist, everybody, every and even she who's supposed to just listen was not on my side.
Speaker 3: Your therapist was not on your side here.
Speaker 5: No, she's think it is as a it's a new car. It's not relax stop.
Speaker 4: Someone was probably vaping in there. There could be a vapor. There's there's talk there could have been a lodger.
Speaker 3: Certainly a lodger in there. They had a lodger, right, That's how they make their That's like how they keep the doors open at the card.
Speaker 4: That's how they do that. They would like taking lodgers in their costmarks.
Speaker 3: Just a lot of people sleeping in those car lots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the car lots.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, do you vacuum and clean your own card you take it to somebody.
Speaker 4: I will every now and then have them do it. But I have a one of those.
Speaker 5: Buy a package at the local express car washing near my house.
Speaker 4: Okay, they do a nice job.
Speaker 5: And for thirty bucks a month, I can get a car wash every day.
Speaker 3: It's like a subscription service. Yeah, thirty bucks a month. What a deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and because one car wash is like thirteen bucks, right, and then you get free use to the vacuum and uh and so I don't vacuum it every day, but I do get my car washed closed every day.
Speaker 3: It feels like you're doing damage here.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought too. Yeah, am I taking off some.
Speaker 3: This is like some washing their hands and then suddenly their hands are like yeah, really dry.
Speaker 4: And I'm nuts.
Speaker 5: If I'm anywhere near that car wash, I'm goh, we're close the swing boy, we're paying for it, And Danielle will go, you just did it yesterday. I go, right, but we're there, We're so close, and She's like, we're the neighbor. We're always so close.
Speaker 3: Is it one of the ones where the car is getting dragged through and beaten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love those. I worked at one in high school.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And it was one of the ones that the big wet Noodlesla car was one of the one were you doing just helping people get into the track?
Speaker 4: We would it was on a busy day. Was that it was a multi man uh operation.
Speaker 5: Okay, one person would be at the booth taking the money, right, the next person would be the person guiding them into the track.
Speaker 3: That part I'm always I don't care how much they're giving me a thumbs up. I'm like, this is when my tires going to get ripped off.
Speaker 5: Can I tell you something? I'm good about three things in this world. One of them is driving my car into that car wash.
Speaker 4: Really, they never need to.
Speaker 5: Go I never get the thumb left or right. I'm already. They just pulled me in. And I think even when I leave, they go, look that guy, you know how to do it. I think opposite of the car leadership, they're not laughing at me at the car.
Speaker 4: Wash, dude. And then there'd be two people drying the car down.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, that's on a busy day. On a slow day would be a one man operation.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of response you to do it all? Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you have a favorite position there?
Speaker 4: Will?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: I like I like taking the money.
Speaker 5: I like being that guy because you can talk to people and we would make we would make stuff up. Uh like Uh, I would say if you pulled up, I would go, uh, Hayser, Welcome to winter Corns. That was name of the place, Winter Corns car wash. It was an Amico walking to the winter Corns. Uh, real fast? Who's your favorite Marx brother?
Speaker 4: Groucho?
Speaker 5: We got the Groucher special going today. And what I'm gonna do for you is for at the time, three dollars. For three dollars, We're gonna wash the car. We're gonna use soap, We're to throw wax on there. And when we're done, we're gonna we're gonna drive the thing off with cloth towels.
Speaker 4: You want in Yeah, I'll take that deal. What does that cost? Without beat the Grouncer deal? Three dollars? There's no deal, but we would do that. What a rip to get uh, to get the sales?
Speaker 3: And it was always the Marx brothers.
Speaker 4: I would know, what's your favorite comedy movie?
Speaker 3: Oh, let's uh, Lost in America.
Speaker 4: We got the Loss in America special.
Speaker 5: Go today all Albert Brooks movies are getting on special for three dollars.
Speaker 4: We're gonna watch the car.
Speaker 5: Like and I read walking Through And they would all go, yeah, okay, I'll do that.
Speaker 4: Wow what a thing. Yeah. Every now with that, a guy would go, what's the cost?
Speaker 5: If I don't get that specially, I go it's the same price, and then you go oh.
Speaker 4: Then they would. Then they would do it because they enjoyed the fun of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean at the very least they get to name a favorite thing. Yes, everyone loves the name of favorite thing.
Speaker 5: We actually, except for your ear. When I said who's your favorite band? You panic.
Speaker 3: I panic about anytime you say favorite thing because I don't really know that I have a favorite thing of anything anymore. You don't have a favorite movie, no, because I have. I have movies I like for different moods. I have a lot of movies I really love. I have a lot of bands I really love. Like in high school, I had a favorite band, I had a favorite movie, I had a favorite this for that.
Speaker 4: Now it's just like general nostalgia reasons. You don't have like like my favorite movie is Breaking Away. I don't know that movie. Oh it's oh, it's wonderful, nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 5: It's a coming of age based in Bloomington, Indiana. One best screenplay, I believe, but it is, Uh, it just was. I was younger than that. These guys are graduating high school and they don't know what they're gonna do with their lives, okay, And I was in eighth grade when it came out in seventy nine, and we were moving to a new house, and so I kind of related in a way of well, I don't know what I'm doing, I'm lost to sure and it's certainly not similar, but that's how I felt, and so I've kind of brought that with me. I kind of like the lead kind of was like an out you know, kind of an outsider, didn't really fit in. That's kind of I felt the same way.
Speaker 4: And so like, I just that movie just was it right?
Speaker 5: And since then, I've seen movies that I think were, well, this would be my favorite, but that one's nothing.
Speaker 3: Ways, I got an emotional yes, like nothing's gonna own since memory almost Yeah yeah, yeah, interesting. And now you're saying that reminds me, I really love the movie bad Lands. You know this movie.
Speaker 4: I don't know a movie.
Speaker 3: Terrence Malick movie incredible.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: Also, speaking of jeans and white shirt combo, it's uh, who's the family with the Kardashians. It's Kim Kardashi.
Speaker 4: You're a family.
Speaker 3: It's two famous people and I can't remember either of them right.
Speaker 4: Now, Julia and Eric Roberts. Only Martin Sheen, Martin she yes, excellent. They're both so young in it, and there wonderful actors and actress and.
Speaker 3: Just kind of a crime movie.
Speaker 4: Bad Lands, bad Lands, great movie. I'm gonna watch it. I'm not. I'm not.
Speaker 5: This is you're gonna think I'm making this up. I'm gonna watch that tonight with my son.
Speaker 3: I thought you'll really like it.
Speaker 4: But here's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: I goes, you know what, Oliver, I got a great I got a great recommendation for us. Let's watch bad Lands, dad. I watched that during the pandemic. Okay, that's what it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: But there's rewatching is more fun than watching.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I don't find that anymore. Really, I don't.
Speaker 3: You're not into that.
Speaker 5: I mean I could watch Glengarry Glenn Ross eight million times, right, I could watch Breaking Away, I could watch Halloween, I could watch Jaws. But you know, like an off brand bad Lands, I think I'm on and done.
Speaker 3: Badlands is not off brea off brand he's got.
Speaker 4: It's got unknown mark.
Speaker 3: You're gonna love it, both of you're gonna.
Speaker 4: I can't which is it? It's really good.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, I don't know why that reminded me of bad Lands. Maybe seventies movies. Maybe that's maybe how it clicks for me. But yeah, I've got favorites of all sorts. Sure, after hours speaking of comedy movie, as soon as I said Lost in America, I thought no, after hours, Griffin done, Griffin done? He what happened to me?
Speaker 4: What happened to grif? Why did Griffin Dune? He did? After Hours? And and the Werewolf movie? Bof is that? Uh los? Or Werewolf of London? Where London?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Did he not become a gigantic stuff?
Speaker 3: Right? I mean he is kind of a name. Everybody nobody knows. Griffin done. But but whydey Griffin Dunn? Never get his rob blow on West Wing sort of thing, right, ever had a renaissance or anything. He must have crossed somebody. Yeah, there's something happened, probably around nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 4: I think it was the early nineties. Right, somebody's like you thought you were on the rise. No, done, you are done. That's what your finished. But they sound the same.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think we should play a game. I'm thrilled about this vacuum, but we should play a game.
Speaker 4: Okay, on a leash.
Speaker 3: It's a gift a curse today, fantastic. I'm getting so good at this with two different games, and so I'm trying to alternate them every time so the listeners don't scream at me. And I'm speaking of good memories. I'm able to kind of alternate. Remember what we did last episode?
Speaker 4: You did? Remember you just asked her? She told you, Well, but I guessed correctly. Let me do something with that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna throw this in the trash.
Speaker 4: Fair.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just moving out of the way because I need access to my computer.
Speaker 5: All right, you're doing it so precuriously. I got worried that you're going to hurt your arm.
Speaker 3: Using the vacuum.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's pivoted, pivoted in a way that no normal person will ever use a vacuum.
Speaker 4: I bet you will use it like that.
Speaker 3: You don't post a photo of that on Instagram ever done that.
Speaker 4: I regret giving you this. I'm not kidding. I'm gonna have a clue car. It's got ten position pivoting nozzle.
Speaker 3: You never with these tiny vacuums. You only ever need it in one position.
Speaker 5: I think you're gonna find that you're you're misspeaking. You're gonna find out that you're you're gonna use it in all ten.
Speaker 4: It's got ten. You're gonna use seven of those ten minimum.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna use all ten. I want you to report back to me, Okay, I'm gonna I'm going to I'm gonna go to.
Speaker 5: The store and by myself one of these today. This was a horrible error.
Speaker 3: This podcast just cost you one hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: I could have brought you anything, right, true, I could have just bought that photo had been done with it.
Speaker 4: Play your game, okay, I'm going to argue about it. I need a number between.
Speaker 3: One and from you, uh seven, Okay, I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces. So right now, you can recommend something, you can promote something, do whatever you want with a microphone.
Speaker 4: I'll be right back.
Speaker 5: Well, I recommend people listening to my word Winni podcast, Never Not Funny. I also got a brand new web series, brand new season of my web series, Jimmy's Records and Tapes. Season four is beginning, and Jimmy's Records Tapes is where I each week we'll talk about five of my favorite of something. This week it is five favorite live albums. Then I have five like I've done five favorite songs that have the harmonica, I've done five favorite horrible songs. So and it's just me rambling no surprise about what I like musically. And it's not always the five. Sometimes it'll be There's a lot of ties and a lot of honorable mentions.
Speaker 3: That sounds great.
Speaker 5: It's fun people see people that like music, and again that like, even if you don't like my music, you like the way that I talk passionately.
Speaker 4: Or stupidly about it. People seem to like them.
Speaker 5: It did not become the viral sensation I was hoping, But I do it for the folks that like it.
Speaker 3: I love to listen to people talk about their favorite things what was your number one live favorite live album?
Speaker 4: Kiss A Live two.
Speaker 5: Oh, and again, that's a lot of nostalgia there of getting back in Christmas in nineteen seventy seven and staring at that album cover and listening to those songs that I heard.
Speaker 4: You know now, I'm I basically have a greatest hits album of Kiss, right, you know?
Speaker 3: Of so yeah, I bet I could get into Kiss.
Speaker 4: They've got you know what. They are much maligned and maybe rightfully so. I mean they seem like terrible guys, one of them does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul Stanley has turned a corner and has become actually a pretty decent guy.
Speaker 4: Oh, good for him. Yeah, Geene Simmons, I think it's still.
Speaker 3: Really on that. I think he's gonna stick with that.
Speaker 5: I think I think if in a different world he'd have a red hat on on a regular basis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he would have been at the Capitol on jan six. If he wasn't Gene Simmons, he may have been there, could have been there.
Speaker 5: He's always in disguise. They've got a lot of great power.
Speaker 4: Pop songs, right exactly. And I love that they were like people.
Speaker 5: They got mad at them when they did Dynasty, which had I was Made for Loving You on It, which is a disco song.
Speaker 4: It was like they weren't heavy. They were never heavy.
Speaker 3: Metal, right, they were always like pop music that just had like kind of a.
Speaker 4: Rock d Yeah, they've had a lot of good songs.
Speaker 5: They had a lot of crap like every band, but they got a lot of great songs.
Speaker 3: I'm going to try to get into Kiss.
Speaker 4: Do yourself that favorite and then and then go you know what, not for me, do what everybody and you know what tried to try to start with the best of best of. Yeah, try to start with one of.
Speaker 3: Those best ofs always scare me, I feel like, because I feel like a best of, like the last forty is newer stuff.
Speaker 4: No, they're not doing that.
Speaker 3: They're not doing that.
Speaker 4: That is not the only Kiss rolls.
Speaker 3: I feel like if I got a best of Kiss that was produced in like nineteen eighty five, I would probably be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, can look into that. Yeah what am I?
Speaker 3: Oh? The thing I'm recommending today, of course, is brazil Nuts on the beach.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 3: I mean what else could I recommend it? I also like the movie After Life. Have you ever heard of this? The Japanese movie No beautiful movie. Really a beautiful movie about being dead.
Speaker 4: I've never seen it.
Speaker 3: It's really a nice movie. I can recommend that. All right, Okay, this is how we play Gift for a curse. I'm gonna name what is it called after of the game, not the movie?
Speaker 4: The game.
Speaker 3: First of all. The movie is called after Life. Let's just say it again.
Speaker 4: Game is called gift or a curse? Gift or a curse.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna name three things and I got Okay, you have to tell me if there are a gift or a curse and why. Oh, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers. Can't be Oh, there certainly can all right, okay. Number one this is from a listener named Rebecca. Rebecca wants to know gift or a curse? Scary movie trailers with full jump scare scenes playing before a movie that is not scary.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Boy, you know it's interesting because my son will leave. My son hates scary movies, so he will lead if one of those comes on, he will go.
Speaker 4: He will leave the theater. Wow, that's dedication. So for him, I guess it's a curse.
Speaker 5: But I don't even know if it's a I can't even but for me, who I do like those sort of movies.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's a gift either. Oh I don't.
Speaker 5: I think it's a curse because I don't want to know where the jump scares are gonna be.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, So I'm gonna go. I'm gonna I'm gonna land on curse. Wrong, damn it to hell. I'm over one. They're a gift, I liar.
Speaker 3: They give a fun, little free scare in front of Trolls three.
Speaker 4: I did not show that. I love.
Speaker 3: If a trailer can scare me, they've done a good job, because usually trailers don't scare you, all right, I mean the one I can really think of the really scared pretty much everyone was for The Nun. Do you remember this? Just the Nun? This was in like twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: They were playing. Remember they had.
Speaker 3: Essentially just one scene from the movie. I think that ended with a jump scare that terrified everything. I love it, and also I love people aren't prepared for that. They're learning a little lesson about themselves. We're all going through something emotionally together. It's an excellent the gift. Okay, wonderful Okay. Number two. This is from someone named Peter. Peter suggested saying you read a book, just to describe having listened to the audio.
Speaker 4: Book gift or a curse? A gift? Why? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Look the way you said why, Like, I'm already wrong. It's a gift because you did read the book. But he's saying the gift is lying to somebody.
Speaker 4: What's the what am I?
Speaker 3: He's wondering if you if people saying, oh, I read the book and then you find out later that they checked out the CDs at the library, and you're he thinks that that's.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna set my answer.
Speaker 5: It's a curse because then I got to hear that guy talk about that book, and I don't I don't want to hear about anybody talking about the book, whether they read it or listen to it.
Speaker 4: So it's a curse. That's a curse. Oh wrong, Wrong again. I think it's a gift.
Speaker 3: You've read the book, you did the work. However, you got the book into your brain.
Speaker 5: Now you're changing it though you're saying I thought I was the person listened to person talk about the book.
Speaker 4: It's a curse to me, it's a gift to you.
Speaker 3: As far as the game rules go, it's a gift. Ah, okay, zero out of two so far. We hate to hear it. It's just the worst thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: This is the this is the worst performance in the history of the game.
Speaker 3: Actually, no, a few people have lost. There are a few people have lost, but you might not lose. I don't know what here's Eric Eric suggested, gift or a curse. Grocery stores that play a thunderstorm sound effect before missing the produce.
Speaker 4: That's a gift? Why? Because what a joy?
Speaker 5: What a joy that somebody went out of their way to say we had a little show for you.
Speaker 4: That's a show? Are you kidding me? That's cucumbers in a show. I mean, if I'm wrong on this one, I'm walking. I'm not kidding. I'm leaving the premises the same way I went at a at a car dealer ship.
Speaker 3: I can't argue with that. What a delight. Yes, I've never gotten to experience because that's a problem. But maybe what grocery stores are doing this I don't know, but I want to go there. That sounds incredible. I mean, the one problem I see is I feel like every section of the grocery store should have a sound effect. But oh, I'd be thrilled. They should have lightning going, they should flash the lights.
Speaker 4: You think there should be Little Tellian mused in the pasta and sauces asle.
Speaker 3: Little Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 4: No, I don't want that.
Speaker 5: It's a likely no matter. It's the last thing I want. Maybe just some ambiance your husband, what about the cereal or something something fun, something.
Speaker 3: Fun, Yeah, peppy, so kids I could go for. I mean that grocery store is probably a racket at this point. There's too much noise, too many conflicting sounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if you're walking out that aisle, they've got enough speaker set up and all you hear.
Speaker 3: Is the ambience. It's gotta be fun. It's an experience. Yeah, it's a gift.
Speaker 5: And when you're at Disneyland and you're just walking around and then the second you walk into frontier Land, you hear that music. You didn't hear it right a foot and a half away from it. The second you step in, your hear it. Same with the aisles.
Speaker 3: Disney should get into the grocery business.
Speaker 4: I'd like to see him expand you're having a tough time. Drop everything, go into the Yeah, I would chop at a Disney grocery store.
Speaker 3: Actually, it would probably be it would absolutely devastate you financially.
Speaker 4: It would be too expension. I'd go once.
Speaker 3: It would be a fun little experience. Yes, that's an idea for Disney to continue ripping people off.
Speaker 4: Go for it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got one out of three bad not a good job, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, you so you knew when I was over two I couldn't win, and you said you could still win. You gave me false I say you could still win.
Speaker 3: Yes, what I meant to say is you can still not walk away a complete mess.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, I'll accept that thing.
Speaker 3: Which is a little win. It's kind of a little win.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna you know what, I'm gonna leave here on a high because you said I was a good looking man, so I'm still on that.
Speaker 3: You're taking a couple of things away with this, and you're leaving a vacuum.
Speaker 4: I'm leaving a very expensive gag gift. Okay.
Speaker 3: This is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I said no emails people right in to I said, no gifts at gmail dot com with whatever questions they want, problems, blah blah blah they want to answer. So, okay, will you help me answer a question? Okay, let me get into the doc. Here, open opening, opening, So like it's recess at the moment, it is currently recess. I wonder if the listener will be able to hear recess. What do you think, on Lisa, So they're hearing the joy of children's laughter? What an incredible benefit of this podcast? What other podcast has the joy of children's laughter?
Speaker 4: None? None, just the playground podcast? That would be it.
Speaker 5: Okay, should buy some creep, right, some guys, this car records this.
Speaker 4: Recording from the Special Elementary. Now, yeah, you know what, that's not a bad idea. I'm gonna pitch it. Read it over to. That's gonna be the next exactly right pod. Crime is on the way out. Now it's like active crime.
Speaker 3: You're committing a crime while doing the podcast. Truer crime. Okay, this is dear Bridger and delightful guest.
Speaker 4: That's very nice, thank you.
Speaker 3: I am an administrator at a university and I supervise six employees my salary is not hugely larger than theirs, but I still feel I should give holiday gifts to people I directly supervise. I am financially able to give the all gifts in the area of thirty dollars apiece. Since this will come from my personal money, what should I give my own? Past supervisors often gave me twenty five dollars Starbucks gift cards, but that feels both impersonal and self serving. Since caffeine is mostly a prerequisite for working. I would love to give them all significant raises, and I do give them good reviews, but ultimately, salaries are determined by our budget and HR offices, so compensation is not in my control. It sounds like they're dodging blame here. What is an appropriate and inexpensive gift for six employees that says I appreciate you, and our department would fall apart without you, and none of us are paid enough. But here's a little holiday cheer. Well, okay, if I've ever seen a run on sentence, I hope this person's not in charge of the English Department. Thanks Julie. Julie has six employees. Julie obviously is like saying a bunch of bad stuff about her past supervisors. They didn't give thoughtful enough gifts to Julie. So she's got kind of a high opinion in of herself, and she's got about what's sixty or thirty times six is one hundred and eighty dollars Harney Bucks, one hundred and eighty ish dollars for the six employees. What do you give your employees? Do you give your employees any money or any gifts?
Speaker 4: Or will you'll give them a Christmas bonus? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you give a bonus. The bonus is such a wonderful feeling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we give them a nice Christmas bonus. I will say, in Julie's case, based on that email, maybe just a day of silence would be a gift, because good.
Speaker 4: Lord, that was a lot. I will see. I will say, I will say this. I will never it may be impersonal.
Speaker 5: It may if you want to give me a twenty five dollars target card, I will never not like that.
Speaker 3: I love it, and.
Speaker 4: I get I bet you her employees will feel the same way. Who doesn't want that?
Speaker 3: It feels great?
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: I think as a society we finally moved on to say gift cards are great.
Speaker 4: They're great.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with a gift card. I don't feel like it's impersonal. I just think, oh, you have a life that you're living, and you can't constantly dedicate yourself to thinking about my everyone of my interests.
Speaker 5: Or bopping around to Bridger likes music, I'll go to the record store and get him something.
Speaker 4: You know, on a least likes t shirts, I'll go to the story and get.
Speaker 3: Her that, right, Right, I've got other things to do.
Speaker 5: I got other things to do. I've I've got a department to run. I think the gift cards will win. And I know it's impersonal.
Speaker 4: I don't care. I don't think it's a personal anymore. I think it's a wonderful gift.
Speaker 3: How about it You go to a nice like a local fun restaurant, then and get the gift cards there.
Speaker 4: Wonderful. Then it's a little more specific. It's not coffee.
Speaker 5: You know what else is nice, although the money doesn't cover it, is a massage.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean a thirty dollars massage. Is you're in the middle of the mall, that's probably a mall massage.
Speaker 4: In that weird chair. That weird chair laying down.
Speaker 3: Next to like the ear piercing pagoda. Right, that's not a place you want to get a massage, but a massage.
Speaker 4: What a gift. It's a nice gift, you know what you do.
Speaker 3: She's got one hundred and eighty dollars, gives one of the employees one hundred dollars massage, and then the rest of them get kind of crummy gifts, and now they're competing with each other. I need to do a better job.
Speaker 4: Did you get that?
Speaker 3: We say it again?
Speaker 4: Why did you get that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why'd you get that?
Speaker 5: I do character to throw you. I was trying to do some character work.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, suddenly I'm questioning everything. No, I think that's a great way of strategy to keep your employees on their toes. One hundred dollars to local massage parlor or maybe not a parlor.
Speaker 4: No, not a parlor or maybe a parlor.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's gonna get Julie fired.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get a legit, Oh yeah, legit? What do you call that?
Speaker 3: A massage center?
Speaker 4: A spa, A spa spat spa day.
Speaker 3: And then she's got eighty dollars for five other people and they're getting Krummy gifts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but eighteen bucks each.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're all and then they're kind of working to get that other person out of a job. There's something to watch for the next year. You get to watch them fight amongst each other.
Speaker 4: That's a perfect gift. I think it's wonderful. I think we've answered to this question clear. I would welcome an eighteen dollars target gift card. I would five dollars.
Speaker 3: Look, I can put it towards something I don't care.
Speaker 5: I get excited when the pharmacists said, oh, you've just been your tenth prescription. Here's a five dollars coupon.
Speaker 4: It feels great.
Speaker 3: Anything fifty cents might be an inconvenience. Can you put fifty cents on.
Speaker 4: A gift card? I don't think you can go that way.
Speaker 3: That would be insulting.
Speaker 4: I think it'd be you'd make your statement.
Speaker 3: It would be something about yourself and you're giving it. Okay, Well, Julie's got her answer, and her employees are now fighting with each other and the department is in chaos, and Julie has some she's probably bored with her job. She's writing into a podcast for answers. She clearly needs something to do at length. At length. Yeah, this is probably two hours of work she's getting paid for. Wow, Julie, you're welcome. Wow, Jimmy, we've done it. We've done it. I've gone two gifts. One of them is very valuable. One's a backup in case my other photo goes missing or something.
Speaker 5: Happens away in a flood, in a flooded could put that a high.
Speaker 4: Up put that on a high up shelf, if you would please.
Speaker 3: I'll put that on the ceiling. I'm gonna tape that to the ceiling or step there.
Speaker 4: Wow. I've had such a nice time with you. I have enjoyed every second of this.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the gifts. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: I honor thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: And now the podcast is over. So see listener. The podcast, you can tell is screeching to a halt. You've got to do something else. You've got to finish whatever you were doing. Stop mowing the lawn your I mean, it's absolutely mud at this point, you've destroyed your yard. You've done too much. Move on, We'll talk to you soon. I love you, goodbye, I said no gifts is an exactly right production it's produced by our dear friend Analise Nilson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Kottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle Worker Amy Man. You must follow the show on Instagram. At I said, no gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 1: And I invited you hear I thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 4: When you're a.
Speaker 1: Guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests your own presences presence And.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how do
Speaker 3: You dare to survey me