Speaker 1: It's really easy to sit around and talk about what's wrong, So why don't we do it for a second. You and I were just talking before we press record about a lot of the calendar related stuff, and there's this senate build that they're trying to push right now. Some parts of it I like, some parts of it I don't like.
Speaker 2: But the whole.
Speaker 1: Concept of what they're calling the Lane Kiffin rule, which is painting this negative light on coaches who move before the season's over, which is not ideal to me, ignores the whole problem in the room, which is the calendar, which is why the coaches are moving when they're moving, And so everyone's got thoughts on how you fix the calendar. But you've lived it, like you've been involved in searches while the season's going on. You are a current head coach, describe the current state of the college football calendar.
Speaker 3: To me, it's a hodgepodge. It's all put together, and I think there's a lot of things that were without looking into the unintended consequences. I think Joan Bos just have to get back to the roots and the big thing, Josh, I think got to move the season up. Football has always been a one semester sport, and now we're sitting where the championship game is the twenty sixth. And the thing I don't feel good about is I just think the College Football Playoff is deeply affected by coaching changes, and those coaching changes are necessitated because of the transfer portal. And I know you love banging on the group of six teams getting killed. Well, I think part of it is they had a big distractions because you have some wrong going to Florida and you have Chesney going to UCLA, and that's a big distraction. Yeah, just like it was it Oh Miss, just like it was at Oregon with their coordinators leaving. So I think the more we can get our season moved up and finished and then have time for the transfer portal per second semester, the better.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The one thing I guess if I had some commentary on like G five G six, the caliber of your average G five G six playoff contender today to me pales in comparison to maybe the quality you would have had Boise two thousands of UCF mid twenty teens, which is where another part of the Senate bill is kind of interesting. Where you sit in your shoes right now. It's this great catch twenty two. Like if you guys go play Michigan week one and a guy jumps off the screen, you're happy because you had a guy kill it that day, but you also know there's a thing called the transfer portal.
Speaker 2: I may be seeing the very last.
Speaker 3: Of him in the new Mexico uniform, but.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, if we live in a rule where you got five years to play five, but you also have only one penalty free transfer, I don't think enough people are paying attention to what that could do to fortify G five rosters to where you're not constantly having a look over.
Speaker 2: Your shoulder worried man. We're having too much success. Our entire roster is going to get gutted.
Speaker 3: No question. And you see it a lot in our league right now. You know UNLV's quarterback. Last year, Calandria started at Virginia, kind of came back to the UNLV, had a great year, and now he's at Nebraska. Yeah, we had Dorian Thomas who had a great year for US, had the great game against Michigan last year. I had transferred here from Arizona. Now he's at cal So you're seeing that quite a bit. That would be a very good change. And you know, again, I think probably to do something still with the head coaches. If head coaches leave to give the guys out, I think that's something they got to look at as well. But I think that'd be a positive change.
Speaker 1: When you've been involved with your name being mentioned, which is not going to stop as long as you have success, so it's like a really good first world problem. But when you've been involved with the concept that my season's not over, people are coming after me, and balancing the responsibility to your team. You want to be honest with your staff, you want to be honest with your family, but then you also want to maintain like the integrity of the competitive.
Speaker 3: Edge that you want to have.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's a perfect way to handle it. What's the best way you found to handle it?
Speaker 3: Well, a couple of things I think of that. You know, One, you end up doing stuff late at night that becomes the answer. It's yeah, I can, I can talk to you, but it's got to be tonight after thirty after I finished the responsibilities of my team, and then I spend a lot of time talking with their team about it. As well, because I do think coaches and players are in the same situations now, you know, whether it's agents reaching out to our players and trying to tell them about their opportunities are out there. You know. The nice thing is that I was having an agent is you don't have to deal with it personally. You know another person dealing with you. But I I just try to tell our players and our coaches if we had to keep our focus on what we're doing our job at hand, and by doing that, you'll create value for yourself in the future. If you start worrying about other stuff and getting distracted, your product that you're putting out on a daily basis is not going to be as good and you're not going to create as much value for yourself. And you know, there's times, you know, it's nice in college football at the FBS level where you have that little break between bowl games or between the playoffs where you have some time down pack. I think that was trickier at the FCS level when I was an FCS coach because you go right for the regular season into the playoffs. You know, so when you're dealing with it with jobs or the portal, that gets really crazy. You know, we had a player Andrew Marshall starts at Nebraska now at Idaho who was ready to go, and he had a great game against Oregon in twenty twenty four of the first game, and that was the same thing. I kind of knew, a we're probably not gonna have this guy, and he knew we wanted to move on, and yeah, we had a big talk. That was when the portal open in December, so it was even more of a mess. You know, he wanted to try to go in day one and I just kind of told him, hey, and I talked to his parents. I said, we can't have you go in day one and still play for us, because I just think it's it puts too much pressure on you now and our staff. If you have one bad play, it's while you're distracted going in. I said, I'll try to help. You'll call these coaches, try to help you find a spot. But we needed to go in right after our last game. And it's tricky.
Speaker 1: A lot of times when we're talking about the coaching carousel season, the majority of the conversation is on the big jobs, like if Florida's open, everyone's got an opinion on the University of Florida head football job. But it also if you're in the running for the New Mexico job or the Idaho job, far less spotlight is put on those jobs. Therefore, far less people have opinions of those places. Far less people of notoriety had experience at those places. So like, sometimes, so when you're trying to feel a place out that you've never been, how do you get a scouting report? Like how do you figure out what New Mexico is about? Sight unseen?
Speaker 2: Really? For you before you take this job us.
Speaker 3: Your network, you know, I talked to coaches who had been here before. Kevin Cosgrove was a great resource for me. He was a retired coach now, but he was a decordinator when I was a player at Wisconsin and spent eight years here on Bob Davy staff. And I've probably talked about six or seven coaches who'd been here. You know. TCU was playing in the New Mexico Bowl that year, and uh, there there. GM is a friend of mine, Ryan Dorchester, and so he was here like on his site visit for the New Mexico Bowl game. And I told him, yeah, take pictures when you go through all the facilities. Me send me what these facilities look like, So you got to research it. But again, you're trying a lot of times is having those conversations, uh you at night after you finished practice, after you watch the tape, and now you're you're trying to do that. So I get the distractions. I see why you know. I'm sure will Stein and uh Tash got no sleep during that time where you're trying to get ready for the college football playoff and you're also working putting things together at a new head job.
Speaker 2: You're entering your second year here.
Speaker 1: You've been a head coach since twenty twenty two, which means you're still brand new on a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people's radars. Like there are very very.
Speaker 1: Huge chunks of the college football public that know of Jason Eck only recently. But pres is behind his camera over here. He was born in nineteen ninety eight. You started coaching in nineteen ninety nine, so like you've been you've been coaching throughout the entire adult lives of some of our staff here. And what I want to know is, like, how weird is it sometimes to know your entire journey? And there's like a laundry list of places you've worked and then still to be aware that I'm like a new commodity, Like the concept of me as a coach is still new to most people, and they're talking to you like trying to get to know you. You know, I've been around for a long time.
Speaker 3: Guys. One of my mentors helped me out who he was an administrator, but he texted me that, you know, we had some success as a head coach. You're you're a twenty five year in the making overnight success. But I learned a lot. I had twenty three years as an assistant coach. I mean there's a lot of times in my career I don't think i'd be a head coach, and I think everything that I kind of went through and I went through a lot of coaching changes when I was an assistant I worked for in twenty three years as an assistant coach, I worked for twelve different head coaches. But you learn a lot. You learn a lot through the way. You see how to do things, see how not to do things. You take a little bit from everybody along the way, and I think it put me in a position where when I finally did get the opportunity, I was I was ready to take advantage of that.
Speaker 1: You know you mentioned at some point you never knew if you'd be a head coach. Some guys who are current head coaches, if you ask them, they'll tell you my goal from day one was to be a head coach. I always thought I'd be a head coach. Other guys are like, honestly, this is not how it started for me. This is what it evolved into. Did you always from day one in nineteen ninety nine, I think, man, I'm I'll be a head coach? Or was there like an inflection point where all of a sudden it became real for you this this may be a possibility and it's something I could see myself doing.
Speaker 3: I was not that way, you know. I thought, maybe be an offensive line coach, trying to you know, move up the ranks, be a power power four, power five at that time, to get to the NFL and be an offensive line coach. I think that was more of my goal earlier in my career. Jim Huber, who I played for at Wisconsin, you know, had a great career as an online coach, spend a little time with the NFL at the end of his career and then you know John Stifelmeyer, who I worked for at South Dakota State, great head coach. I spent six years with him. Him and coach Alvarez were the two coaches I spent the most time with. And he told me after my first year there, he goes, I think you'd be a very good head coach. And he was the first person who really ever said that to me. And I think that's something I remember a lot with our players because the power of belief. I think when you show a belief in someone. I think that kind of changed the way I thought about things. And I'm glad he said that to me. I'm thankful for that because they got me thinking about it. And I really enjoyed being a head coach now because it's scary when you go into it. It's so different being a coordinator, so different being a position coach. Being a head coach is so different than being a coordinator. And I think there's a little nerves like it. Am I gonna be good at this? Am I gonna like it? And I found out that I like it, and my family likes it, and I'm pretty good at it.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned something that triggered something to me because I you know, there, I assume most people watching this right now can identify with having self doubt or at least uncertainty about self and someone you respect showing more belief in you than you have in yourself, or maybe claiming they see something in you that you don't see in yourself at that time, because you never forget those people, No, you never forget those moments. Now as you get a little older, like you said, when you reflect on them, then you start seeking out the opportunity to do that with younger people. And I imagine like that happening with you has to impact the way that you interact with players or maybe even young coaches on a day to.
Speaker 3: Day, no question. And I've seen the power that the power of building belief in people, and I think that's maybe one of the best things they do as a head coaches get get people to believe, even though you know it might not be a you know, rational thought to say, we can go compete with Oregon when you're an FCS school, or you can beat UCLA when you're you know, you've been playing football here one hundred years and you've never beat a Big ten team. But when you build that belief in getting them in that right mindset, special things can happen.
Speaker 1: The u c l A game last year sort of slapped a lot of people in the face. It was one of those games where New Mexico is going to play u c l A.
Speaker 2: When people are like mapping out their Saturday.
Speaker 1: Most people probably didn't say I'm gonna end up focused on this New Mexico u c l A game And they're watching whatever game they're watching, and then that score starts flashing across the bottom line. You're like, Oh, New Mexico got out to a good start. Wow, they're pulling away. Wow, this is a blowout in the Rose Bowl. How impactful was that day for you? How impactful was it for the program?
Speaker 3: Oh? It was huge. It was huge for the program. And you know the thing about it, it was unique. It was a Friday night game. Yeah, so we had a you know, I got so many texts from you know, coaches who were at the hotel the night before the game, you know, watching their game. I mean that that game really stood out to me just in the coaching world. How many people watch that game and reached out to us because you have those you know, we're the only game on late at night on the on the West Coast, and it was very ina fluential for a program just because we had we had to rebuild. You know, we were only averaging sixteen thousand fans a game. You know, I think in the twenty four season here not getting great attendance, And I think that game kind of inspired our fans beating a brand name like UCLA and here, I think, especially in New Mexico because we've lost some guys. You know, the great basketball coach here, Coach Alford left here to go to UCLA, and even a couple of years ago they had a great basketball player down and bendtn who went to make millions at UCLA. So I think you had a little inferiority complex that we lost people to UCLA before, so to beat them I think inspired our fan base. And then we come back the next week playing in New Mexico State, we have thirty seven thousand people in the stands. It's the first sellout since two thousand and seven. So I think that was probably the most impactful thing to kind of get our program turned aroun was that when.
Speaker 1: To me, I have watched what you've done here and sort of felt the vibe start to shift from classical that's of basketball school mentality to.
Speaker 2: Whoa man, we can be good in football too.
Speaker 1: And it's really, really, to me, very correlated with what Kurt Signetti has done at Indiana. And it didn't happen slowly, like it felt like it all of a sudden happened. And you realize once a traditional basketball school even shows an ounce of potential in football, it's like a huge damn breaks and like all these people were just waiting to buy in, and you guys, it seems like are starting to feel that where that dam's cracking and it's breaking, and season ticket sales are going up and there's energy and people are.
Speaker 2: Talking about New Mexico in the middle of June. That didn't used to happen.
Speaker 3: It didn't happen here. And you know, again, so many people have shown you can do it great in both. I reme remember when Florida was good, when Billy Donovan was in basketball and Urban was in football, and when the national titles in both. Our fans have really turned out. Last year. We had the highest percentage increase in FBS and attendants. You know, we went from sixteen thousand a game to twenty five thousand a game, and now I think there's that was with not much buzz in the offseason. Now we're getting a lot of buzz, and our season ticket sales are rising up, and you know, I think people are realizing, hey, it's a lot of fun to do both. It's a lot of fun to come to the University stadium and have fun.
Speaker 2: In the fall.
Speaker 3: We were six and oh. The last time the love was were six and oh at home before last season was like nineteen thirty eight, something crazy like that. So you send them home driving home from the game happy it just like they usually do when they go to the pit across the street. And it's been a good combination. Our fans have really supported us.
Speaker 1: The NFL has become famous for how the social teams handle schedule releases. College football not so much, except you guys killed it a couple of weeks ago with the whole Sopranos themed schedule release. So I'm watching that in Nashville and I'm thinking, Man, someone was in the lab in that building. Some creative genius had to be behind this, But I didn't know who the creative genius as was. You know who the creative genius was and his slash. Her name is Kimberly. Kimberly is the creative genius.
Speaker 2: Not even on the payroll here officially, no.
Speaker 3: But she's a great supporter of our program. She's got a big social media presence that I think really engages our fan base, engages, you know, the female demographic. I have countless moms and recruits who come up and tell me how I follow your wife on Instagram already. So she had that idea we would love the Sopranos show, and then, you know, I'm kind of I'm not the detailed guy and the idea guy. I gave that to our team and then Brandan and Frank just kind of ran with it and had some great ideas and of how to how to market it, and uh, you know, we try to be creative on that stuff. We try to have fun and really we just got to get people talking about New Mexico football because for a long time people haven't talked about New Mexico football, and the last two years we've done a great job of that of getting some stuff to get us on the map.
Speaker 2: I always think.
Speaker 1: The job of a head coach varies greatly depending on where you have the job, and there some places where it's a legacy, blue blood like institutional bedrock part of college football. Ryan Day does not have to worry about getting Ohio State on the map, and so he does not have to therefore focus a whole lot of his energy on marketing. You've actually got to have the marketing hat on. You've got to have that almost like a pr hat on at times of.
Speaker 2: I got to make sure people know that we exist.
Speaker 1: I got to make sure we're on their radar before I even worry about performing. Ultimately, it comes down to wins and losses, Like you don't ignore someone winning. But how I don't know how different is that compared to just being like an offensive line coach in the Dakota's.
Speaker 3: No, it's different, and I think that's you know, I got these jobs, you know, Idaho and New Mexico because they hadn't been good, no one wanted to or the you know, the pool of who I had a beat was not as good as obviously who Ryan Day would have had a beat to get the Ohio State jobs. So, uh, it's definitely different. And I think about that sometimes and I think we play into h you know, to be in the underdog or decordinator. Coach Newinsky does a great job. It kind of calls our defense the mutch. You know, a bunch of you know, guys at the pound with no pedigree who do that. And sometimes I think, you know, one day we might have guys with a pedigree, But it's different. I think you have to adjust to the situation. And I found I really like it because I think it's really rewarding. It really goes back to what I saw coach Alvarez do it Wisconsin, and we took over Wisconsin program that was awful during the seventies and eighties, just awful and rebuilt that. And there's a lot of programs that have just won. Whoever the head coaches won historically over the years, probably because some outside factors, whether it's your recruiting base or that. And still those guys are really good coaches. But I think there's something that I find personal satisfaction of kind of giving people hope, building believe even in your fan base, and getting them excited where they haven't been excited to go there. And I enjoyed that personally.
Speaker 1: You've been on some staffs like you Wenona, not Whynona Winna State where.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a loaded staff.
Speaker 1: No one knew it at the time, but there were multiple future FBS like D one head coaches that were on that staff. But not everyone's on the same timeline, So some guys get jobs before other guys get jobs. When some of your peers maybe are on like a rung hire or two runs higher on the ladder than you are, how consistently is that feedback spilling down or how much are you're reaching up for that feedback to know, Hey, what's what's just out ahead of me?
Speaker 2: What should I expect?
Speaker 3: I think those guys are valuable helpers. I mean, you know, one of my uh you know, I think my two biggest mentors probably is a head coach were Stigelmayer and coach Alvarez. Well, those are guys who you know, started their head coaching journey in the nineties, you know, so now you're starting back when I'm a first head coach in twenty two. I mean, they're looking back thirty years probably forget a lot of stuff from your first year as being a head coach. A guy who I worked with at at Idaho who was a head coach a few years ahead of me. Jonathan Smith, you know, did a really nice job at Oregon State and then you know a stent didn't go as good at Michigan State. But you know, he was a guy I reached out to a lot about, you know, first year putting the staff together, his first transition. You know, he was a year ahead of me when he left Oregon State to went to Michigan State. I think that's valuable to talk to those guys who've been through things, especially in recent times, just their experiences, learn from them. You always try to learn from other people and what they did or what they would do again if they had to do it over again, so you're not making every first time mistake yourself.
Speaker 1: What is your sort of core philosophy and putting together a staff? A lot of guys really really depend on feedback from others. Some guys want to have had personal interaction, although that's not realistic. You're going to fill out an entire staff. How do you go about putting staff together?
Speaker 3: I think the biggest thing I want is I want people who have good energy, because I want people who the players, the student athletes are excited to work with every day. They're excited to go into the office, and this is evolve. I remember sitting with one of my first interviews at Idaho with a player when I first got there, just trying to you know, I sat down and met with everybody on the team and just got their take on it. And you know, one of them told that, you know, I try to when I come into the facility, I try to go through this backway that's longer to avoid going by the coach's offices. And that just was like a red light going into my head. That's not what you want, you know, you want the players just come and sit down on the coach's offices, hang out. So the energy and when you're assistant, you know, staffs are so big. When you're assistant, you're always going to have a guy or two on the staff who you have a professional relationship with, but you know he's probably not your cap of tea, not somebody you'd want to have lunch with or have a beer with. Now that I'm the head coach, I want everybody under staff someone who I would I just enjoy their energy. I'd want to be around them outside of work. So that was my starting board. You know. From there, you know, I think you have to compliment yourself, you know. You know, I knew when I got to Idaho, I hadn't done a lot of Pacific Northwest recruiting when we were the Dakota's. I needed some guys who had some really strong connections and knew the lay of the land New you know, right off the bat, you know, what are the high schools we have to go to? Same thing when we came here. You know, I had we hadn't recruited Texas when we were up in Idaho, just because the travel distance and costs. Well, New Mexico, that's her neighbor, you know, I had. I had to hire a few guys right away who I knew were dialed in in Texas. And one thing that's helped me is having all those jobs and working under twelve different coaches. I worked with a lot of people at the lower levels, and I was able to identify, you know, some really talented guys who I had worked with. You know, we had a few guys last year. We had four coaches on our staff who got powerful jobs, you know, right after the years ended. And those were guys who never had had powerful jobs. So I knew some kind of really talented outstanding guys who just hadn't got that break yet. And then you also you know lean on your network. You know our strength coach who does a tremendous job for us. He he had worked with Rob r which my first decordinator at Idaho who's now the decordinator at Nebraska, and so he you know, Rob just went to bat and he goes, I, No, you don't know this guy, but I'm telling you he's really really good. Yeah. He's been with us now five years. So I do think people I really trust who I've worked with. You know, I love when guys have skin in the game when they recommend someone to come work with us, because I feel like a lot of people recommend someone to not work with them, but when they were saying, no, I want to, I want to work with this guy. I want to be back with this guy. That's powerful, but it's not one hundred percent. But you got to you got to really dig in. But I want the energy. You got to have people who can relate to the young people and connect with them because there's so many coaches who know a lot of stuff, but it's all about what the players know, and you gotta connect with them. To get that across.
Speaker 1: You know, that's the one thing that's always fascinated me about the difference between a great mind versus a great coach. You can know every bit of football there is to know, and if you can't put it in someone else's mind, it's sort of like making a teacher ineffective.
Speaker 2: You are an ineffective teacher if you can't put it in my mind.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know that you can totally quantify what that skill is, but I imagine you realize pretty quickly whether I hazard or not, no.
Speaker 3: Question, And uh, like I said, a lot of it's just it's that it's that energy. It's the thing that they want to be around. Because you know, if you're if your players don't want to be around the coach, they're not asking a lot of questions, they don't want the meeting to go longer. They're like, get this meeting over with so we can, you know, go back to the locker room and hang out. But if you know, if they feel like they like the energy, they like the vibes, they feel like they're getting developed, and that's powerful and uh, coach, coach evers you to always say this to the staff and this is something it's always stuck with me. He said that if if your players feel like they're getting better, you're not going to have a morale problem. And I really think that's critical as a group of five school to try to keep guys from going in the transfer portal. You know, they have to feel like you're developing them and you're getting them better, and it's not well, if I can go to a bigger school, I'm sure we're going to get developed better. So I think that is critical for your morale your team, to your players feeling like you're adding value to their life, into their career by their experience of being part of your program.
Speaker 1: So people identify you currently you're the head coach in New Mexico, you were the head coach at Idaho. You've coached in the Pacific Northwest, You've coached in the Northern Plains, You've coached in Big Ten Country. But you went to high school in Georgia, Like you were right in my backyard. You're intimately familiar with the state of Georgia. So A explain to people why you were there, and then B like, what do you remember about Georgia?
Speaker 2: What stands out to you The most.
Speaker 3: You know, I've lived in like fourteen states in my life. You know, I was in a coaching family. You know, I didn't take the you know, the easy route. You see a lot of the the Bowdens or the Patinos where you have a you know, a father's son in the same sport. But my father was a Division one basketball coach, so it's tough to find any day that he was the head coach at Toledo. So I'm there might be some other father son different sport football, basketball, head coaches. There's none that I'm aware of. So we moved around a lot, and we were I went to Junior High in Ohio and I was all set to go to high school there, and then they lost the MAC championship game by one point to Miami, Ohio, and he kind of got pushed out at Toledo. So I kind of saw how my mom tried to talk to me out of going into coaching because she saw that, like where I went to high school was decided by a one bucket and he ended up working down in South Georgia and Albany. The team had two names over two years. It was the first year was the South Georgia Blues and then it was the Albany Sharpshooters of the Global Basketball Associate. So he stopped us in Atlanta. We moved to Atlanta and went to Saint Pias the Tenth, spent all four years there. That league ended up going belly up, and then he got back into coaching at the college level at Loyola University Chicago. H spring of my junior year, and I'm very thankful he let me stay and finish my senior year at Saint Pias the Tenth in Atlanta, and uh, you know, I think it. I think it capitalized my level football. I mean I was already moving that way. My body was more pulling guard than shooting guard, so it was a better fit to be in football. But you know, just seeing having spring practice and pads, you know, having ten practices in pads and you know the you definitely feel how important you know, the football is in the South and there's some special about it. I really enjoyed our time there. It was a little bit of an adjustment get used to the humidity and the heat and the summer workouts down there, and then it spoiled me because then when I went to my freshman year at Wisconsin. It was like the hardest winner of my life because, uh, you got spoiled by being down the weather. But yeah, the Southeast football that that sec footprint, you know, going to games. And we had a great running back at our school who Philip Rogers, who went to Georgia Tech. But you know, I'd tag along with him on all of his visits and things, and so I went to Georgia to Sanford. I was a walk on in Wisconsin, so I wasn't very heavily recruited, but he was heavily recruited. So it was fun to go to those you know, college of visits, game day visits as a high school player.
Speaker 2: Now you were in high school what years?
Speaker 3: I graduated in ninety five, so my four years I played would have been ninety one through ninety four. Had a lot of great you know players around there. Patrick pass was at Tucker, one of our rival teams. Matt Harpering was a great quarterback for Marist and then ended up having a great NBA career with the Utah Jazz. A lot a lot of good players throughout there in Georgia around that time.
Speaker 1: You're in you're in the Atlanta area in like the sweet spot of sports history. There Braves have blown up in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Olympics.
Speaker 1: Olympics are coming to Atlanta in nineteen ninety six, and I'm like almost too young to remember, kid at that point. I do remember, like watching the Olympic tours come through, but like that, that's me. That's the bedrock of my childhood is remembering how great the Atlanta Braves got in the nineties and how like every every bit of attention in the sports world all of a sudden shifted to Atlanta because of the Olympics.
Speaker 3: It was huge that we'd go to a lot of those games. My father grew up in Wisconsin, so he actually was a Milwaukee Braves fan as a young kid, so he he kind of got caught up in that, and we would go to games. I'm I'm a Cubs fan. We know, whenever the Cubs were in town, we'd go. Uh, don't tell my principal. One day I skipped school for an afternoon businessman special to go Cubs Cubs Braves game one spring but uh, and then the Olympics I went back. Even that was the summer after my freshman year at Wisconsin. I made sure I you know, went back for that to hang out for a few days with high school buddies and go around with some of those events. And that was what happened in time in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: So like when you've been where you've been, you've experienced all the kinds of weather that the United States can offer from a football perspective, I haven't. So Like I grew up in the South, So people from the South get painted as very soft. You don't want to play up north in November and December, which is true.
Speaker 3: Like we don't.
Speaker 2: Define cold, what is cold to you?
Speaker 3: To me? But we talk about that. And like when I was at South Dakota State, you know we had playoff games in December and blizzards. Uh. You know, we played the Villanova in a sideway snow snowstorm in twenty sixteen, played Duquine in a first round matchup where you could not see the field that was white. They were trying to shovel it off. Uh. To me, it's it's like anything else, it's something you can't control. You got to block out and focus on what you can control, so you embrace where you're at. You know, here we embrace the sunshine. We get three hundred and ten days. Ye love the weather. Uh, you know we we embraced that. You and Idaho we played in the dome, so you embraced having the dome and always.
Speaker 2: In the dome.
Speaker 3: The dome the dome. College Football four team made it famous and you know it was the perfect weather always. But at South Dakota State, you know, the other three Dakota schools and fcs all played in domes, so we really leaned into that. And h you know with tell it recruits that you know, hey, if you're gonna play in Lambeau or Soldier Field and you're a pro, you gotta be ready to be doing that. So I think you lean into it, and I think it's a unique thing in football that adds to something that many people love watching those NFL games in December and January or weather as a factor and lean into whatever you have.
Speaker 1: How many ask some broad questions because you can take it anywhere you want, But as a head coach, you're still pretty new in that role, just a few years into that role.
Speaker 2: So I of course imagine you had a vision of how.
Speaker 1: You'd handle things when you become a head coach, and you got a game plan for everything, and then half of it gets thrown out the window when you start seeing how it really works. So take what you've done so far and what you've accomplished so far, but also like what you want to be the vision for where you want to go. Where are you on that whole timeline.
Speaker 3: Personally, you learned so much your first two as a head coach because there was a lot of things when I first got to Idaho. Yeah, I haven't thought of that, or I didn't know we had to do this and that type of things. You know. I uh, I was never a great budget guy to deal with my family and stuff. So now you're you're looking at all these numbers and trying to put this together. Uh So I learned so much, and I think that much much better prepared me for the transaction coming here, just because I knew what to expect. I knew you know that that first thirty days when you get a job, it's like drinking through a firehoset. You know, so many people are you know, you have you have like six hunderdun return text messages and it's you know, some people just congratulate, and you have people who want jobs, people who have a player they want you to recruit, and it's it's overwhelming, and I think being prepared for that the second time around, you kind of know what it takes and you know how you got to organize your day. Uh So I've learned a lot through the process. I think it was a smoother transition coming here. Uh I think it was still you know, still evolve. But I think the thing that that I that I've tried to do with our staff this year is I think, you know, one of my strength was creativity and driving that when I was more centered on, you know, running the offense as an offensive coordinator. And I've really tried as we had some adjustments to our staff this year, I tried to really target that because you have to stay on the cutting edge. You have to keep having new ideas. You have to keep you know, tweaking things in college football. The rules have changed a lot recently, and just with all the off the field stuff. I think the key with that is you have to stay ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of talk about the way G five slash G six football is covered. It always really heats up around the playoff because everyone's got this opinion on should there be an auto bid or not should the G five have its own playoff? And I always find myself conflicted because purely from a product standpoint, I'd love to watch a G five playoff and it'd make more sense then from a practical standpoint. Okay, but that's a financial cord that you're completely severing.
Speaker 2: So I get both sides.
Speaker 1: Truthfully, if I structured the playoff, I'd probably keep that G five inclusion, even though like it doesn't starve my own personal self view of sports or whatever. But you're in the middle of this. You're a head coach at this level, So how aggressive do you have to get not just for your program, but like for that entire moniker to make sure I'm doing my part to make sure we're viewed the right way, talked about the right way, represented.
Speaker 3: The right way.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'd love for us to do, or here's how I love this world to exist. How much of that responsibility do you feel.
Speaker 3: I feel a responsibility for that. I think every time I talk to our team, I said, every time you play a game against a team like that, you know we got to compete because I think you know, there's probably some TV executives out there, which there were no uh you know, power for FCS games or power for Group of five games, and every game was you know, a power for or even SEC versus Big ten game that way. So I think how you handle yourself, how you compete in those games are important. I do think access to the playoff is important, and I know, let's keep tweaking the rules. You know, they tweek the rules right away when boys you got a home game to make sure that didn't in the game, and then they tweak the rules when two teams snuck in. That uh you know, really was more of the ACC's tiebreaker issue. They wish they had. The Mountain West tiebreaker didn't help us last year, but it was a better tiebreaker for getting the best teams in there. I think we have to have that, But I know, I think there could be some creativity. You know, I wouldn't mind seeing if, you know, if one team went to that, then maybe the best other six group of six teams have a little playoff, and especially if we're moving the season up, I think that could be some great uh you know TV things, because people still tune into those Bowl games. I mean the TV ratings for those bowl games, the two groups of six teams are are better than NBA regular season games. So I do think I feel that every time, as a group of six school, you're representing that. And I'm sure those coaches then feel two bags. They got big jobs right away. But you know, I'm sure they were not happy that they didn't have close playoff games because that opens up the conversations that well, they didn't belong, we should, we should get rid of them. But you know, I think you want what's best for football. And again the part to the problem now is all the players transfer up and you see how fewer fcs and group of six programs are getting guys drafted because of the movement of talent upwards because of the money. You know, you hope that that doesn't ever discourage programs to the part where they start cutting programs and not funding it, because those still are valuable training grounds that you know, if I wasn't for Fairer State football that quarterback, it all miss true when you've got developed to lead them to the semi finals like they did. So you hope it doesn't get to that point. And you know, I've coached a Division two, I've coached at FCS, So I do. I try to keep the best of college football as a whole, including those lower levels, in my thoughts of what's best for the game going forward. But I am I am concerned at some point there may be a time where the power for schools say all right, we're going to have you see it just creeping eight conference games to nine, where there eventually they say, hey, we're not going to play FCS. We're not going to play a group of six, and that's be a shame. You know.
Speaker 1: I think you guys last year popping a nine and win season took a lot of people by surprise. I don't know what the local preseason expectation level was, but I'm almost certain you exceeded whatever the preseason expectation level was. So then you entered this year and you've got the you know, the expectation level all of a sudden is there because you've set a precedent and you got a hole. Obviously, make sure you hit reset in the building. There's no complacency that sets in. There's none of that. But there's also big changes in your conference, Like there are a lot of teams that used to be in this conference.
Speaker 2: That now if migrated to the new Pac twelve.
Speaker 1: So like the landscape of the conference is different too, So I mean, how much of a player do you expect to be in this conference race this year? It's still spring, obviously, but how good can this team be this year?
Speaker 3: I think we can compete for a conference championship. And I every day when I drive in, I look up at the back of the press box. We haven't won a conference championship here since nineteen sixty four. It's been a long time, and you know, we lost a lot of good programs, So I mean, it was in some ways a shame that the league broke up, But Boise State had been a power. I mean, that's an amazing run. They've had over countless different head coaches have done a great job. Coach Danielson is doing a great job there now. But you lose a team like that has been picked to win this league twenty straight years, that opens things up. And I really thought coming here that that was my goal, is to make it where New Mexico was a consistent contender every year. And I think, you know, we'll be up there, and you know, ne Umob's gonna be very good this year. Coach Mallon does a great job. Coach Chang's done a good job at Hawaii. I think they'll be tough. And then North Dakota State. I played them a lot when I was in South Dakota State. They're going to be a good, good addition to the league and I wouldn't be surprised if they're right in the top. And then with a transfer portal, you can't. It's tough to judge. There'll be somebody like we were last year, the team who no one thought and we picked the finish eleventh last year in the league and then we tied for the regular season title. There'll be somebody like that in the league too. It makes a big jump up because they do a good job in the portal. So it'll be a challenge, but I think we can factor certainly in this race, and I expect us to be there every year.
Speaker 1: Jason, it's our first trip to New Mexico as state, not just the university.
Speaker 2: You took care of us man. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. Jeff must be twenty one plus and present in select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino or eighteen plus and present in DC first online real money wager only five dollars first deposit required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable bonus bets which expire seven days after receipt. Restrictions apply see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem Call one eight hundred gambler, or visit FanDuel dot com slash RG call one eight eight eight seven eight nine seventy seven seventy seven, or visit CCPG dot org slash chat in Connecticut, or visit nd Gamblinghelp dot org in Maryland. Hope is here, visit Gambling Helplinema dot org or call eight hundred three two seven fifty fifty for twenty four to seven support in Massachusetts. Or ball one eight seven seven eight Hope, n Y. Or text Hope and Why in New York