Speaker 1: Hey guys, if you have questions for us or want to know more information, please email us at Politicken at iHeartRadio dot com. That's politicking p O L I T I C K I N at iHeartRadio dot com. We will get your questions soon. We appreciate them. Keep them coming.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be one hundred percent. Hey mail for Gavin, We already know how this go. Hey mail for Gavin. Who the fuck is Doug Marshan? Why is you on there with these two white dues? Man? What's handed? Man? You got mar Shaan, Bismall Lynch, Doug.
Speaker 3: Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politicket you know to be you're known to be.
Speaker 1: Welcome to a great new episode of politicking. We got the Governor, Gavin Newsom, Marshaun Beast, Smode Lynch in an undisclosed location. I won't tell you where you're at right now, Marshawn, but Gavin, let's start with you. How's your week?
Speaker 3: By the way, Doug, I don't even think you were gonna show up, So thanks for thanks for joining Marshawn and I today in this podcast.
Speaker 2: We appreciate that.
Speaker 3: My boy.
Speaker 1: Hell, I've been on a three day boondogg. I've been in the great state of Oklahoma. I did a pitstop in Arkansas, and now I'm in Seattle, where Marshawn made his name and what noo. So my last three days, guys, consisted of crisscrossing the country from Oklahoma to Dallas to Arkansas, back to Fresno back home, and now I'm in Seattle for some work. I'm working.
Speaker 2: I'm working. I'm working.
Speaker 1: Last time we checked in with you, how is your immediate at the White House? Gavin? What'd you and did you enjoy Biden have a drink together? What'd you guys do?
Speaker 3: Oh, Marshawn, don't think we're starting here. I need to know now, Doug, we need to know, Marshawan. The hell is going on? This is it? This is the moment. Counter no more bs, no more playing around. Are you in or not? Are we running for mayor of Oakland? This stuff just got very, very real. And I'm not into a political response. I'm not into I'm thinking about I got a cabinet. I'm not into exploratory.
Speaker 2: How big is my cabinet gonna be? Man? I get like, I get like I need at least twelve. Well, usually I need at least Now I'm gonna say ten and I'll be the eleventh for one. That's my offensive line, my receivers, you know, maybe a tight end and a quarterback. See.
Speaker 3: So the cabinet's gonna be I love, the cabinet's gonna be the same damn size as a line.
Speaker 2: Huh, yeah, it's gotta be.
Speaker 1: We gotta bring Michael Michael Bennett over. We'll bring Richard Sherman over.
Speaker 2: We'll bring up Mike robb Yep, we go. We gotta get the squad.
Speaker 3: Going, all right, So now that your name is Jos's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Josh, gonna be my, my offensive coordinator, and Marcus gonna be my.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'll take those guys over Trump's cabinet right now. Sorry to get pulled on you, but let's go back. Marshawn, are you running or not?
Speaker 2: I know what today This is gonna be probably one of the only times I ever say, you know what I mean, the politics is really for politics. But hey, you're a little hot, you're a little salty, my boy. No, keep it keep it funky though, because we was talking early and I'm just like, damn Gevin, like you know what I mean, It probably be a different world, Like the outlook on the world right now would be different if they were to put you in at the two yard line and gave you the ball, but we went with somebody else they put. They went with a different play and then they threw an interception on the two of you.
Speaker 1: Oh mor Shaun. Canvin? Can Govin be honest with you and I as his family and partners here and tell us really how that went down to what happened or Gavin you can't really get into that right now, partner, I don't think he will.
Speaker 3: First of all, I've been doing this long enough to know. You know, I just saw what happened. We all just heard what happened. Doug. You so he didn't answer the damn question. Marshawn, are you running?
Speaker 2: I'm in, You're in, I'm in. I'm telling it. Look, I told you I got you right here. All I need is the blueprint.
Speaker 3: Run it out of time. You need more than a bruplet. You need signatures to get on the ballot and lose signatures we call it. You need filing fees, You need a campaign team, and you need to get prepared we got some.
Speaker 1: Work to do. We got some work to do, Gavin. But you know, but we have time to get work done.
Speaker 2: Man. Well I'm I'm I'm finna do like the government do. I got back pay on some of these fees from all this bread that I've been putting into my community since two thousand and three or four, So I want back pay from all of that, and then they could just use that to put toward my fees or it don't work like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, does it, Gavin.
Speaker 3: I cat, we got a lot of work to do to figure this damn thing out. But Marshawan, I'm not even messing around. Man, You're this is this. I'm already getting calls from potential candidates for governors, just checking in, just checking in. What do you think? What are you hearing who's looking to run for governor? What's you know? Mayor rather, what's so? What are your thoughts? What do you think the city really needs? So I'm just saying, you're not gonna have a lot of time to figure this out, man.
Speaker 2: We know what the city need.
Speaker 3: They need you.
Speaker 2: Your city needing. Matter of fact, I'm on my way up here after I leave from Seattle.
Speaker 3: Well, Doug, we didn't get a straight answer from Marshawns.
Speaker 2: You said we ain't getting no straight answer? What more straight? Yeah? I mean can it be in a ship? I mean I told you I'm going, Uh, I'll beat here after I leave Seattle on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're gonna have a meeting, Gavin. I think we'll do a meeting maybe in my man cave on Sunday. How about that, Galvin? Can are you there?
Speaker 2: Can we or is that a conflict and interest? If I've just come to the governor House and Jesus no, I then.
Speaker 3: No conflict of it. This is how it works. People in politics hang out with people in politics that want to be in politics. We all get together, we compare notes, see how we can add value. All right, this may have gotten real, very real. This is interesting. I'm like, this is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's very interesting. And we're gonna tease everybody that with this, and then we're gonna have a meeting on Sunday. But I love this.
Speaker 3: I've tried to figure out if he's serious. Now I think he's maybe serious.
Speaker 2: Doug, No, what you mean I'm trying to figure out?
Speaker 3: Like, but this is serious, Marshaun, this is a a couple hundred days away, meaning this is when I said a couple hundred think it's one hundred and twenty days after they certify their recall.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing. As far as like the fees and all the red tape that motherfuckers used to go through. The motherfucker that's in the big office right now showed you that that ain't how we do shit no more out here. So all of that old school thinking of what the fuck was going on before that shit is a thing that a pass and Big Dog just showed that when you let your nuts drop some of that bullshit that be going on, that ain't really what a motherfucker won't. And then when they dropped the ball not putting you in the game, coach, I don't know what the fuck they had going on there, but he just made it clear that you know, certain shit don't that shit don't fly no more. It's a new wave. It's a new wave right now. We're in a new era. There's a lot of different type of shit that's going on and all of that shit. So yeah, hell yeah, we gotta come with the right strategic.
Speaker 1: So needless to say, Gavin, We're gonna have a good meeting on Sunday, met and more Seawn.
Speaker 3: It just got a hell of a lot more interesting than watching football with you on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Well, well, Gavin, on that note, how was your week to DC? Before he gets before we get to the new segment of the questions that everyone's asked, which are some great ones, quickly recap how your week the DC was? It was?
Speaker 3: It was thirty six hours and uh got in, spent half the day, more than half the day.
Speaker 2: Was he asleep for more than a half No, I mean it was.
Speaker 3: I spent most of the day at the White House. Just and I say that. I'm not saying that to impress any buddy. I know it sounds ridiculous, you know, where'd you spend your day? The White House? But with intention to address all kinds of issues to make sure that we locked things down for the state of California.
Speaker 2: We all let that meeting.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, let's go through the I mean, from the Chief of Staff to uh, you know, the National Security Advisor, to the senior Advisors to OMB, which is the Office of Management Budget folks. I met with EPA folks, which Environmental Protection HCV folks. HHSS was Health and Human Service where RFK Junior maybe the next HSS secretary met with Interior where my old friend Doug Bergman, uh the current governor out there in North Dakota, maybe the next Interior secretary.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So just met with all kinds of folks uh, and then met with the president.
Speaker 1: Wellvin, did you like walk to the front door ring the doorbell or you go on the backside.
Speaker 2: Wait, what the fuck do you be talking about? Sometimes?
Speaker 1: You know, people don't want to know.
Speaker 3: You know what I will say though, true story, I forgot my I D so I am lucky I got in. They don't screw around. I just did have my ID. They're like, sir, where's your ID? And I'm like, uh, don't have it. And it became like a whole damn thing extended secondary. Uh, you know, they had to We didn't get out of the car. We had the dogs run around the car. Finally I found something in my cell phone that we're able to give those they don't screw around at the White House.
Speaker 2: That's like when I go to out the country and I have to go to all this secondary and third, deary, we need to talk about my like my past, some of the some of the inkings on my ship. We need to go take care of that.
Speaker 1: Marshawn. We don't have we don't have nine hours right now, Marshawn.
Speaker 2: Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: We're going to this guy's money for Mayo. We may need to know a little bit more about him.
Speaker 2: Jesus, why after what I just told you, after what we just watched. This motherfucker dude.
Speaker 3: I don't don't share.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't matter, but I I'm just saying, when I try to cross the borders getting out of the country, they I get flagged.
Speaker 1: Govin this dude disappointed a kid, a guy that allegedly like slept with a minor as what defense secretary? I mean, come on, bro, No, it's a little weird.
Speaker 3: Well just not start. The Defense secretary is some guy you've seen that that sells some products like online and not not the pillow guy, but this this guy from Fox News who's literally just a morning Fox News guy. So he kind of looks the part. He's got some good looking tattoos, I guess. And uh, and so Trump said, Hey, that's my Defense secretary to lead the world's most fierce and proud military. So he's a guy you got Gates to your point, who resigned from Congress before the Ethics Committee report can come out because reports don't come out for ex congressman, and it was about to come out on the allegations that you just suggested as a really it's to underage girls.
Speaker 2: And no, I just got reggae shit, all that weird ass shit. I ain't for all that.
Speaker 3: Man, these are allegations. There was an independent a review and the Speaker of the House, Johnson, saying, uh, as you know, a man of total objectivity and faith, uh and devotion to you know, decency and and the principles and the Foundations and the Ten Commandments, said we're not going to allow that ethics port to be public.
Speaker 2: So he reformed something, is what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: No I did well. I'm saying he preaches a lot, but he sure as hell doesn't seem to be practicing here as it relates to trying to hide some of the facts of an ethics report, there's nothing to hide. He should release the ethics report. He's not doing it. So but you got all that, and then you got the guy who you know believes in a lot of conspiracy theories across the spectrum of issues in RFK juniors being proposed to HHS secretary. You got Christy nom the South Dakota governor to be head of Old Man Security. Don't even get me started there. It's a hell of hell of a group. So you talked to me about Bennett and Sherman. I'm feeling pretty good about Oakland right now.
Speaker 2: That's why I was saying that. Sound like I need to say, you know, the mayorshit is cool, but I probably need to go to the White House and go get a job up there.
Speaker 1: Hey, Gavin, since Trump hasn't called you back, you leve posted note saying hey, hey Donald or President, call me when you get in or on the chairish like.
Speaker 3: That, just so he came in. It was a hell of I will say, just spending time with Biden, comparing contrasting our notes in terms of how he felt about the election, all this stuff I can't share, God, I wish I could share.
Speaker 1: Well, you have a safe space here, Gavin. This is a circle of trust.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I trust me. I'm so tempted. But it was a hell of a thing to be able to spend time with him in an honest, and it put it this way, unfiltered, honest discussion about not just what's happened, but what he needs to do in the next seventy days and what we need to do in California the next seventy days to lock things down before Trump gets into office. Because this stuff got very very real, very very quickly.
Speaker 1: Did you ever really tell Biden, hey, hey, Joe president, you unbelievable career, just like when you're done, just go you moved to an island somewhere, or go to a fishing village in Portugal. Anything's like that. You think he shuts it down, he just disappears or what.
Speaker 3: Not a chance? He's hardwired for for public service, been at it for half a century and uh and it's it's isn't his blood.
Speaker 2: About to say that? Can't just leave? He got hell of secrets and ship they need to know where out all the time. They had to activate that nigga like the KGB is some say that secret rad and he started turning to a roboty you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Hardly that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they bring his ass back when he needed.
Speaker 1: Well, Gavin, there was there was a by the way, there was a uh there was something in the media that someone saw you getting on the plane carrying your own back, sitting in the middle seat and economy. Is that all true, Gavin on the Last Airlines.
Speaker 3: Uh no, it is not all true. I was in a window seat, not a middle seat. Sorry, and I wasn't finally I eat my Southwest kids. So it was it was. I felt it was like a luxury liner. I think it was Alaska or something. I had, like a you know, rod twenty nine f or so.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Anybody yelled you on the plane.
Speaker 3: It was only one person, so it was a great day.
Speaker 2: It was amazing.
Speaker 3: Only one It's fabulous, literally yell. He just rolled his eyes and shook his head and and his wife were deeply offended.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I wanted to come back and hug him, say I'm sorry, you know, but you know I missed him on the way out.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, listen, why don't we go to some of the questions we've got to asked? I was, you know, Gavin, I appreciate that next time you're on a flight, bring Moreshawn with you. Trust me, no one's gonna say damn word to you. Believe me on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you will you and I were on a flight. You know you know you you didn't stay Marshawn.
Speaker 1: I got Marshaan, Mike Tyson like Mike Tyson. I got some hands of steel baby or is that Roberto Durant. I'll throw it down if I need to. Don't back me to corner more, Shawn. You know that I'm a fighter, the.
Speaker 2: Young Baker fighter in the corner. They come off swinging.
Speaker 3: I love this so people. One of the things we're doing, which I think is great, and it's great to be able to check in on the audience and folks listening. We were able to get a bunch of of emails, folks that wanted to ask some questions. We solicited that last week and Doug, you got it. I think you got the handful of them.
Speaker 1: I am gonna be Ernie Johnson. I got Shocked to my left, I got Barkley to my right. I will be the moderator Govin Okay. I'm not sure who was Shock or who was Barkley. But here here's the uh. Here's the first question I got from uh uh Tom Okay. Uh. I can't vote yet, but as a Democrat, I've noticed that my peers male athletes are drifting towards Trump views at school boys my age. Here a lot about empowering girls, but not much about boys. It seems like Trump is filling a vacuum. His emphasis on string winning and dominance is appealing to boys my age and young men in college. What can we do to reverse this trend? I think that's for you, Gavin.
Speaker 3: No, No, Marshawn, I want to know, because No, that's anything that comes through with Trump that is meant for you, because we kind of hot with you too, because you didn't go and run for president. No. No, but it's it's by the way, the question is fran beautifully and it's deeply accurate. And we talked, I think a little bit last week right on the pole. We talked a little bit about this sort of man o sphere. We talked about all these bro plot podcasts and some I think I read some article that suggested, aren't we one of those bro podcasts ourselves? But there there is something about you know, he talks about power and dominance and aggression. Uh And and for a lot of young kids, they're they're sort of they're they're feeling on more men, in particular young boys a sense lack of a sense of meaning and purpose and mission, and so that strength, that sort of masculinity that is exuded by a lot of these podcasters and in that quote unquote manosphere connects to people. And you've seen this crisis of belonging. It's been a trend line for the last few decades as it relates to what's happening with men all across this country. And you've seen that a graduation rates, suicide rates. You're seeing it in a deaths of despair, people that are overdosing drug use, alcohol use, the disproportion you're impacting men and boys. So it is a legitimate crisis in the country. And the question is what's the prescription to address it. Is it that what some perceive is the toxicity of Trump others would disagree, or is it you know, trying to sort of align with what Trump may be selling, which clearly worked in this election.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you answered that question, Gavin, but I appreciate the you.
Speaker 3: Said a whole bunch of words. Well, the fuck it, there was not a lot of words.
Speaker 1: All right, So Moreshan, this is for you. This is from Justin and Oklahoma. More Shaan I'm a freshman at college playing football. I dreams about playing NFL. I admire the beast of brand that you have built. What advice can you give me on how to build my brand? That's a great question.
Speaker 2: Cliche is this sound is is don't build a brand, build yourself and let your brand become of what you build.
Speaker 1: Say that again, more, Shaan, that's a great what'd you say right there?
Speaker 2: Damn Doug rewinded? Motherfuck I forgot what I said when you freestyling and this shit just come off the dome. I mean no, but I.
Speaker 3: I can't wait for your State of the City marsh.
Speaker 2: On this man. That motherfucker gonna be a maculate. I don't want no, no, no, what is that flash cards or none of that? Ship? But is don't don't build a brand just you know, I mean, be yourself and let your brand build. Build yourself so that way is always authentic, you know, I mean to who you are, and that way you ain't never gonna look over your shoulder to make sure that you got to check all these boxes and all that other shit. I love it, but man, I really do appreciate when when the youth asked me that question, because I think, you know, rather than just hearing me say it, when they put it into a form like that, I think it means more to them, and I think we get I think they take a lot more out of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, by the way, Doug, that was next level and I couldn't agree more. And it's you know something, And here's the politician talk. And I talk about all the time, your expressions unique. No one else has it. Learn from don't follow others this idea. Everyone wants to be like someone else, but then they're derivative someone else, meaning they're not being their authentic self. And so if you're trying to be someone else, you'll get exposed. And so building a great brand. The reason Beast Mode, reason Marshawn Lynch is Marshawn Lynch is because it just exudes authenticity. And I think that's just such a great, great, great thing that Marshall every young person's listening to.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot because it was like I went up one and then you went up there, you go all right?
Speaker 1: All r his other one this is from Christina.
Speaker 2: Try to one help me Batman nine went up and you bro.
Speaker 3: I'm doubling down for you.
Speaker 1: My friend, there's another one, another one Govin. I voted for COALMLOP because she's pro choice, believes in climate change is a real thing, and I'm not a big fan of Trump. Other than that, I actually think Trump is more aligned with our everyday concerns about the economy, public safety, and border security. Given this, if the Republicans filled a nicer guy than Trump, how can we avoid a bigger landslide in twenty eight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, oh in twenty eight looking forward, No, I think we got to work to cut out, work cut out for us because you I saw just by the way, there was a bunch of polls just out today that says they, you know, Republicans overwhelming. They think crimes increasing, they think unemployment is a fifty year high. They think inflation is still raging, when we know so inflation substantially tame, We're at a fifty year low in unemployment, and crime continues to drop and drop significantly in the last few years. So it's people feel very very differently on the border as well, we're not seeing border crossings are about as low as they've been in the last three and a half almost four years. That does not to excuse the inflation scars in the last three four years, or to exclude what happened as it relates to the border crossings the last three and four years.
Speaker 2: So when you get in office in twenty eight what you're going to do.
Speaker 3: No, but I will say the economic thing is the most frustrating. And if you want a little bit of more of what I was talking to the President about forty eight hours ago was around the economy and that disconnect between how people feel and the performance of this administration. Or have the lowest black unemployment, alst unemployment for women, lowest unemployment for people with disabilities, lowest unemployment in fifty years. We have the lowest uninsured rate in our lifetime. We have one of the fastest business startups business boom that we've ever had in our lifetime. You've got an economic strategy that's worker centered as it relates to bringing supply chains home, manufacturing and industrial policy, the Chips and Science Act, as well as the IRA as it relates to transition policy and making sure that we're more energy independent. All of those things are things that we thought would be persuasive in this election on the economy, and obviously we fell short. So I don't know if you've caught any of that nonsense except to say we got work to do.
Speaker 1: Another question from Seawn and Colorado said, and that's a great follow up. Why is the market so convinced that the economy is going to do well under Trump? Why is the market doing better now since he got elected?
Speaker 3: Well, hold on, I mean the market. We had record breaking stock market over and over and over and over again under and over again and over. I bring it. That's where I'm my brother, over over and over. So so the markets, the markets for the last year, you're four oh one K for the last year, record breaking, uh, over and over. And of course it went up again a little bit after it was actually served a couple of days after the day after the election, but but it already was peaking for the last later a letter part of the last year. So I think there's two things. But I will say just the substance of the series of the question. I think some of it was expectations on regulatory policy, regulatory rollbacks, and then tax policy as it relates to extending the tax credits, uh, but beyond me with the tariffs that are coming, and beyond me as it relates to any other economic framework that the president has advanced, because I don't know what it is. It's got the form and substance of fog forgive me, and now standing like a damn politics.
Speaker 1: All right, well I got another more few gallon more, Shawn, I am a politician. This is from Deborah. Many women are terrified now more than ever about the reproductive freedom running a state that is so pro women and protects women's rights to choose, et cetera. How do you tackle these issues with the president? Is there any chance we lose our access to reproductive freedoms?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a chance. There was no chance in my lifetime. In our lifetime, we'd see Roe versus Wait overturn, and Donald Trump made sure that happened with the Dobbs decision. He's the father of the Dobbs decision.
Speaker 1: How is there how is their chance explain that to us?
Speaker 3: Donald Trump is the reason that Roe v. Wade was overturned. It's the reason that one at every five women that had to get an abortion last year had to get out of their own state. He's the reason tens of thousands of women who were raped were pregnant, many of them that had to bring their baby to term. He's the reason a thirteen year old was clutching her teddy bear as she was giving birth in Louisiana to a rapist baby. That's Donald Trump. So the question is very serious.
Speaker 2: So they just so hold on. So how does that work? They just say like like, I want to get abortion, and they just say, no, you can't have an abortion.
Speaker 3: You cannot have it, regardless of rape and incestimental.
Speaker 2: Why they telling them that they can't have an abortion.
Speaker 3: Like power control over women, control over women's body.
Speaker 2: That's fun. I mean because if you just going to and I mean clearly I on, but if they going to the clinic or to the doctor and they're like, hey, I'm having a situation. I don't want to have this baby and a doctor just be like no.
Speaker 3: Says the doctor. Does it puts his not just his license bright in the line, but could be prosecuted, can be arrested. Uh, so you have doctors that can be arrested women. There's certain states, Marshall and get this where it's illegal for the woman to leave the state to access an abortion if she's under age. So they're banning travel, they're not just banning abortions. In some states. That is brought to you by Donald Trump. Now that said, let me be fair, good people can disagree. And I understand the religious framework, and I understand people that believe in the right to life, and I respect that. But under Roe V. Wade, that was the whole point. I respect your right to decide for yourself, and as sure as hell, shouldn't be a bunch of guys that are determining the fate of young women. And so I take this seriously, and I think the question is a scary one because realistically we don't know. Donald Trump in the past said women should be criminalized for having an abortion. Donald Trump in the past suggested that he would support a national abortion ban. Many of his biggest supporters, like Lindsey Graham's Synergram, support abortion ban. Few of us have confidence that if they pass the national abortion ban, he won't sign it. He says he won't, but he said a lot of things in the past. I don't trust him at all.
Speaker 1: But Gavin can he does he have the power to go to each state and tell each state they can't do an abortion No.
Speaker 3: Well, he well, he could. They could do a national abortion ban. They control both houses of Congress. He said in the past he would support one. He said in the past he thinks women should be criminalized that have an abortion. He said all kinds of crazy things in the past. By the way, I take him much more literally than most. That's why we're being prepared. And it goes back to the question. And let me be serious about the question. And forgive me for getting all intents about this. It's just this is such serious stuff. I mean, this is happening in the United States America in twenty twenty four. But I worry about this thing called the Comstat Act, which is about access to medical abortion, meaning access to pills morning after pills. I worry about being prepared for that, and so states like California are taking that very seriously. I've got some ideas around more work we could do with an executive order. We already went to the ballot a couple of years ago and we enshrined in our state constitution the ripe reproductive care, reproductive freedom. And we're doing everything in our power to protect doctors, to protect patients themselves privacy, and making sure we're not sharing with outside state attorney generals for criminal prosecution. So we're going to do everything in our power to protect women and girls. And there's not a state in America, not one. There's a lot of great leaders of great states protecting women and girls, but there's not a state like California doing more at the backs of women.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you a question as your positions as government, right, how often is it that you would like, Okay, you know you probably here to shit through social media, the studies and yeah, I mean the reports and all of that. How often is it that you'll just be like, you know, what, fuck it, let me go to a clinic where you know these women have actually been turned away and actually talk to the people who really go through this type of shit and really just sit down with them and like, I don't know, I'm trying to make my case because I want to be heard when I go talk, but actually to understand, you know, what the fuck is going on, like how that really affects them and what's really going on, because I mean that sounds like some serious ass shit to the point where like if I just look at some studies or some numbers or something and it's like okay, this number, this number, and then the doctors as well, because I mean, I know that shit take a toll on them too. They yep, they see this shit coming in. But then you have you know, you talk about these individuals who uh, these women that have been raped and you know it had gotten pregnant and like the like the mental mindset that they have. Like how often is it that you will go out and actually talk to these individuals to see, like a fuck the numbers and all of that shit. Let me hear right from the horse's mouth on what's really going on and how it's really affecting you.
Speaker 3: As a great question, Sean Marjah on that, it's the right question. That's what we do all the time. That's how we shape policy on reproductive care in California. It's exactly what we do. We meet with folks that have been impacted rape and incest. We meet folks that had miscarriages that needed emergency care. We meet with people that literally almost lost their life because they were bleeding out and doctors didn't know what to do. In some of these other states, we don't just read the stories. They come in and they sort of testify to that human expression. But with all due respect to the other side, and I say this, we'd love to those that disagree. I don't hear them sitting down with some of these women. I don't hear people. I've never heard of Donald Trump sitting down with a woman who was raped and and try to listen and express some empathy in compassion for her life. Not once has he ever done that. So it's why I get a little indignant, sort of spare me that this guy has your back, women and girls that he gives it to. I mean, seriously, spare me. It's all about him. And again I don't want to be you know, I know we always were failing and not talking about Trump, but uh, this is why we're doing the special session of California.
Speaker 1: That was a great question.
Speaker 3: Is why I've taken so seriously what's going on. This is why I'm grateful for that question and sorry to be so intense about this, but got to have women's back. Man, this is serious moment.
Speaker 2: You know, my mama is like, you know, that's my that's my heart, that's my rock, and you feel me if if somebody was to put my mama in a position to where yeah, I mean they took away her rights in order to live you know, I mean a good life like we got problems. I ain't worried about no laws and all that other type of shit, like you got me fucked up, we got we gonna have to do something with the old school dude. And then you know, like you know my model, fuck you, We're gonna we're gonna get on some shit. But damn nex yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Here's another one for both you guys. I admire you and Morashaan for all was speaking and doing what you think is right, Davin. When when you legalize gay marriage, everyone was telling you not to do it, you went with your heart and did it. How stressful was that back in the day to do that as mayor.
Speaker 3: A sports frame the beginner's mind, I didn't know what I didn't know. I think it was Roger Brandister that broke the four minute mile because they didn't know what he didn't know. He didn't know that the human body didn't move that fast in four minutes. The point was I was new as a mayor, uh, and I thought it was the right thing to do. Uh. And then what unfolded after that revealed itself in ways that I had anticipated and not anticipated on the basis that I didn't have the experience. So I think there's something wonderful about being new, having a new mindset. But I will say that it was challenged to navigate because my own party came down on me. My own party attacked me, my own party question what I was doing. And for those of you don't remember this the black and white movies. In two thousand and four, in the Winter of Love, not the Summer of Love, in San Francisco, we married four thousand and thirty six couples from forty six states, in six countries around the world. And the amazing thing about it was, it was nothing amazing about it. Meaning couples came. They were your brother, your uncle, your aunt's, your uncle. I mean, you name it. The normality of it is what was so striking. It was airline pilots, it was construction workers, it was nurses, it was doctors, it was judges, it was lawyers. And they came there and all they wanted was to say those two fucking magic words I do. And for that they were castigated and they were looked down upon. And so we thought it was the right thing to do in two thousand and four, and we started a conversation. Uh and and there was a lot of conversation in my direction attacking that action. I still deal with that today. But again, you know, back to you, Doug saying, how many damn summers we have left in our lives. Don't dream of regretting. Put it out there on the line. Do what you think is right, do what you believe in, brand be smoked, be your damn self.
Speaker 1: Well, Gavin, follow up to that question, did you think that the time? I mean, I mean you obviously probably at higher aspirations, but that back then when you did that, did you think like I could be this could be done, I could be done politically, but doing the right thing is what I'm here for, so I don't really care what my future is. This is the right thing to do because a lot of people would have done that.
Speaker 3: I had an intervention. My father, members of my family, some of his close friends had an intervention right before I did it, saying don't do it. They said, this is going to end your political creer. You just got elected. Because I just got elected. They say, do this on your way out, don't start your political career. I remember it in California. I don't know what the number was, but I think it was like thirty percent of folks support. I mean, it was not quote unquote pop there. I just thought it was the right thing to do, and I thought it was also unconstitutional not to allow same safe couples to get married. And so no I thought I was toast, but I swear to you, I thought I was toast politically, but I was like, you know what, So what, I go back to work, privates whatever. Life's too short and I hate I hate nothing worse. I said to myself. I remember I've keep and I tell myself all the time, I don't want to be one of those politicians that could have, would have, should have that's on some panel after they're retired, wishing they had done something, particularly as it relates to trying to bring people together, which was the idea there, to strengthen families, to give people the ability to live their lives. As we said out lad so as proud of it.
Speaker 1: Well, Gavin, I know your dad very well. At rest in peace, Bill love you. Was it hard when he met with you and you as a son said dad. I appreciate the advice, but you know what, I thank you, but I'm not doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, old iris Catholic family he used to when he was a kid. He went to church every single morning, and not once a week or not at Christmas, every single day. So he grew up in that frame and traditional marriage, marriage to a man or woman, and so he appreciated that. I thought it was the right thing to do. But he's worried about his son, and he's like, you know, your relatively young politician, as in my thirties, and he's like, why the hell would you throw it all out for this? You got all these other things you wanted to do. Why would you start like this? And so he was legitimately concerned. But I swear to God, one of the great memories of my life was quietly walking in the back of City Hall when there were couples all around city Hall getting married, and I snuck it with a baseball hat my dad, so no one even knew I was downstairs.
Speaker 2: They didn't six five white boy, and they know who to him, you was out there.
Speaker 3: In the back Marsia on True story. And he starts walking around and he sees basically neighbors, he sees people you reckon. It was none of the cliches you would think. It wasn't like some you know parade or something. You know, the way people talk about the cat, the Falsehome Street parade. You know, you get the images and literally those images and the joy and to see families like literally kids of the people getting married or their parents and seeing these kids and and to see the joy. He completely flipped. And then he became an advocate because he's he was a judge for giving me more legal advice, saying we gotta we got to continue to fight this and help us shape our legal strategy. It was amazing to see him evolve on that.
Speaker 1: So, Marshawn, here's one for you. Is from Tim and Tacoma. Marshawn, I'm your biggest fan. I've loved you since you got to Seattle. Do you have any regrets about walking away from Seattle and going to Oakland?
Speaker 2: None? None, none at all. Because I didn't walk away from uh Seattle to go to Oakland. I walked away because I was I was done playing football. And then when like you were just saying, don't want to be one of them, should have could have with us. And when I heard that the Raiders was gonna actually leave Oakland, that was what made me, uh go back to play for the for the Raiders, so I could say I was one of the last individuals from I could actually say that they play for the Open Writers.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it. Hey, Marshaw, By the way, I never asked you this. When you retired quote unquote from football as a Seahawk, didn't you post something about your cleats?
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me back up, Gavin, let me before Marshawn asked the question in Gavin, Actually, I was with you at the Super Bowl, remember, and at the night at the Niner at Santa Clara. We were at their Super Bowl I think it was Denver and Carolina, and you and I were at the game and my phone started buzzing and blowing up and you see more shand so more. Shawn infamously threw his cleats on top of the wires in Oakland and my phone blew up. He retired on Super Bowl Sunday. Take me through that more Shawn, by the way, you ruined my day. But I hope your day was good.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you know, I was back, you know, at my grandma house, and you know I had them, I had the cliaks and they was actually uh some cliqus that I had that I was gonna play in h last super Bowl and they had gold on them, and they got the uniform. Police came out and was like, hey, if you wear them cleats, we're gonna kick you out the game. And I'm like, well, what you mean you gonna kick me out? Like, if you wear them claks, we're gonna kick you out the game. So I had to go and put some some different spikes on. So when they did the Super Bowl fifty, and they like made it like I guess it was like the fiftieth Anniversary or the fiftieth Super Bowl or something like that, and it was all gold, so everybody had gold everything. So I'm like, man, what the fuck, Like you just told me that I wasn't gonna be able to play in the game. You was gonna bench me if I wore some spikes that had gold claks at the bottom, and then you're gonna make the whole Super Bowl fifty gold everything. So I was looking at them damn shoes like man, fuck. I said, yeah, well I knew I was done, but I was like, well, shit, what you do in the hood when you you know what I mean, you done random shoes all the way down to the to the rubber to no more rubber with the holes at the bottom. You take them your time and you throw them on the uh on the telephone wire. And it took me about, like say about like maybe fifteen tries to get them up there. But when they landed, you know what I mean, I took the picture and I threw the doses.
Speaker 1: I don't know how viral that went, but I don't know how many views or whatever, but that was obviously off the charts, which Guyvin leads me to the next question here.
Speaker 3: No, it leads me to this question as here's as simple as a questionnaire. This is who you got to prepare for as mayor of Oakland. Would you find someone for throwing cleats up on a wire, a public wire, would you, sir? Yes or no? Simple question?
Speaker 2: Simple question. No.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it. It's a right answer under the circumstance.
Speaker 2: If I mean, if it's if it's for retirement after the Super Bowl, after they tell you, you, Marsh you can't wear gold cleats, and then next year you go make the whole fucking thing about gold everything. I said, man, fuck and I and I was, I was, I was like, damn maybe I should go to the game and just try to steal everything fucking gold that they got. They had gold gloves, gold cleeks, gold fucking towels, wristbands, all kind of shit, and I'm like, the.
Speaker 1: Fuck all right? Bo Sovin, So this is funny this question. Before I get this question, if my daughter called me the other day, I'll give a shout out to Jaden and at cal Poly Volleyball. How you doing, Jaden? In any event, she talks about all your TikTok stuff. So the question was We've had a million questions about Gavin's status online, including his nickname as American Psycho's Patrick Bateman and being called Zaddy. You're in the New York Times Style section. They're calling you the vampire to save the party. So, Gavin, how do you feel about your Zaddy status? Have you seen all the memes online and TikTok posts about you? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: What does it mean? Doug? What does that mean? Marshawn?
Speaker 1: You're in the now, I don't know, but you know you're famous on TikTok. So how do you feel about that? Gavin?
Speaker 3: Only reason I know I'm famous on TikTok I was shopping for my daughter at the gap and a bunch of yeah teenagers come up and said are you? And I'm like, what the hell is this? And then they literally start flipping through their TikTok and I start seeing some of that stuff. But I don't know how it's a compliment that I'm some vampire or some you know, American psycho. That doesn't work for me. I don't understand it. I just don't understand it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know about Americans like oh in vampire. But Zaddy, what he laughing? What does it mean? It just means. It just means, Daddy, they looking for you. They won't you cuss. They on your bumper right.
Speaker 1: Now, Gavin, You're all over TikTok, bro. And they talked about your nice white shirts. That's on the style sex. They talked about your Chris blue suits, uh and whatnot.
Speaker 3: So I dress for you guys today.
Speaker 2: It's the same damn suit, by.
Speaker 1: The way, I gotta be honest you. They talked about our podcast guys, right, No one said the good looking Doug Hendrickson, the attractive Doug Hendrickson. They talked about Gavin sex symbol, good looking and all that. No one mentioned me. I don't know what's going on, Gavin.
Speaker 3: Bro can could we call him a zaddy as well? Or is that inappropriate marshawn, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thank you very inappropriate.
Speaker 3: I guess someone else has to do that. Sorry, Sorry, Doug.
Speaker 1: Here's another one, Gavin. There's been a of stuff talking about the Menendez brothers. We saw the new DA come into office. Any updates on what's going to happen with the infamous brothers that are in jail?
Speaker 3: So interesting, nobs. One of the reasons I sadly am in my suit is today is parole day, so I go through my paroles. I've got some commutations. We did some pardons last week for Veterans Day.
Speaker 2: I need a couple of parts too.
Speaker 1: Send him a text more sean, send him a tax you got a free to home team.
Speaker 3: And so this is you know, it's Thanksgiving. We tend to do around this time of year. So it is the Menendez file, which is now a little thicker because we did deeper research in the last ten days. That's all on my desk and I'll be literally getting a lot of it today. But let me just say a couple of things you do have a new DA. The the current DA who was about to be replaced was was was not re elected. Who is the one who recommended the recentency of the mend Is brothers. And I think it's the right thing to do to hear from the new DA before I make any decisions, and so I'll be deferring to his review, his analysis and recommendation. And that's something, by the way, I haven't said publicly, but I think is important under the circumstance, out of respect not just to him, the new incoming DA, but those that elected him rather overwhelmingly in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Got it before it gets a question to me, there's a quick question on our politic and merch, by the way, and we're in it right here. Where can we get the politic and merch? And here's the deal. Go to email us at politicket at iHeartRadio dot com and we can get you some merch. We've got great hoodies, we've got great hats and T shirts and more to come. A couple more questions, guys, which one of you guys has the hardest job and why? And I'm going to say that is me.
Speaker 3: You got the hardest job.
Speaker 1: I had one the hardest job. I have a great job. I be hon as you guys know, I am blessed thirty years as an agent. It doesn't get old. The impact I have can be great. Seeing my former client here in.
Speaker 2: Partner Rogers storytime, my boy.
Speaker 1: No, I would say, who has the hardest job? Out of us three? I would say, you know, I got to be honest with you. I can't take credit for that. I don't think you can either, Marshan. I think it has to go to Gavin here.
Speaker 3: No, it's definitely Marshawn acting is I can't even imagine. I couldn't do that. So, by the way, Marshawn, no bullshit. I forgot to tell you this, and I never do it in person because you beat the shit out of me. I hadn't seen Bottoms yet. No, I didn't see it. I just saw it, but I made a mistake. I saw it with my daughter. It was very uncomfortable. I did not know. I didn't know what this is. I didn't know. Marshawan, bro, you was great, good damn man. It was fun. It was fun. I want you as a teacher, brother.
Speaker 2: Mister G.
Speaker 3: Mister G, and I love that, Mister G. I had no idea, mister.
Speaker 2: G Yeah, mister G was given? Is you feel me?
Speaker 3: How's that? What's what's you done with the last you were? You were out there in New Mexico. You're almost done with with with the filming?
Speaker 2: Yeah, with that one I'm doing.
Speaker 3: You're done with that? Helmut? What you got another project you're working on right now?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I got some. I got some projects in the pipeline. You know, they make you, they make you sign n DA's and all of that kind of shit.
Speaker 3: So Gladiator three.
Speaker 2: Hey, look man, I'm trying to work my way up. I gotta make sure I find me, you feel me, find me a nice role or something.
Speaker 1: I like you. But on that note, guys, what a great episode, Gavin. I appreciate you, Marshaun, You're the man. Love you, and uh let's have a great weekend. Let's get after it, have fun, and we'll see you Sunday in the mank.
Speaker 3: We're gonna see you Sunday talk.
Speaker 2: Mayoral politics, mayor b S Mode in this motherfucker. Mame mayor b S Mode in this bitch. What's that right?
Speaker 1: Deuce is the sguy