Speaker 1: Apple adds AI to the iPhone. I'll explain how they're doing it differently and which phones will get it. Microsoft recalls it's recall feature the international E SIM that's completely free. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on on rich Demiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's fire up those phone lines at triple A rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one eight eight eight rich one oh one. Just tap out those little letters on your phone's keypad and you should be connected right to us. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email also an option. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv. Hit contact once again, Rich on tech dot tv, hit contact. In this show, we've got some great guests. I'm gonna talk to my friends up at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. They're going to discuss the announcements that stand out most to them, and later on in the show, if you're in the market for a new computer monitor, Matthew S. Smith will join us to talk about what to look for in a new computer monitor.
Speaker 2: Well, you just heard Luke Combs.
Speaker 1: We went to his concert last night where the Wild Things Are Great concert.
Speaker 2: Just want to say thank you to everyone who came up to me.
Speaker 1: Who would ever think that people would come up to a tech guy to say, rich, I love your stuff, I love what you do. I learn a lot from you. I mean, after a while, my wife was actually getting embarrassed. She thinks it's funny, and you know, it's just it really it's it means so much to me because it means that what I'm doing here and what I'm doing at KTLA just really resonates with folks, and it's just so amazing to me. I mean, anyway, I want to say thank you. And it was a lot of fun. We had a blast at the concert. Luke Combs was great. If I got any country fans out there, you know what I'm talking about, great, great artists. Second time I've seen them. Actually, all right, let's get to the tech news of the week. I was in Cooper Tino for Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference twenty twenty four. This is where Apple tells you all about the stuff that's coming soon to their various products. They've got the iPhone, they've got the iPad, they've got Apple Vision Pro, they've got Mac computers, they've got the Apple Watch. What am I leaving out? I think that's about it. They've got a lot of stuff. So this is where they go through, and this was super fast, I mean, super super charged. They just blasted through all these new features because there's so many of them. No new hardware, but a lot of new features, including iOS eighteen and Apple Intelligence. I'm going to focus on those two right now, but throughout the show, fairwarning, going to talk a lot about Apple because they're in the news this week. They had their big event. We talked about Google a couple weeks ago, we talked about Microsoft, we talked about Open AI.
Speaker 2: Now it is Apple's turn.
Speaker 1: So iOS eighteen this is the new software that's launching in the fall. It's going to work on the iPhone ten R and later, and also the iPhone S two and later. So from what I've seen, as long as your phone is running iOS seventeen right now, it should get the upgrade to iOS eighteen.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean it's getting the AI upgrade.
Speaker 1: More on that in a moment, but first let's talk about iOS eighteen getting much more customizable. So I'm really taking a page from Android here and making the iPhone pretty much as customizable as you can imagine. Icons can now be placed anywhere on the home screen. I know that sounds silly if you're an Android user because you've had that since day one, but the iPhone has not, So no, I can place your icons anywhere you want.
Speaker 2: You can change their color.
Speaker 1: The control center is getting much more useful with multiple pages. That's the portion of your phone where you sort of swipe down from the upper right hand corner to bring up things like the volume control and the Wi Fi toggles and all that stuff. You're gonna be able to make multiple pages there, and third party apps can finally put their controls in there as well, so if you have a favorite app and you want toggle something very quickly, you'll be able to do it. Even the lock screen shortcuts can now be customized, so instead of just having access to the camera and the flashlight, you can now put whatever you want there as long as developers make a widget for the lock screen. Another new feature, This one is kind of interesting and or controversial and or helpful. You can now lock down apps behind a passcode or face ID. So if you have an app that you don't want people when they get your phone in their hands opening up, you can lock it down with a passcode or your face ID. They will not be able to open that app without unlocking your phone. Even with the phone unlocked, they'll still need to do a secondary passcode or face ID. Now, another level of this is a hidden apps folder.
Speaker 2: This is a folder where you.
Speaker 1: Can put apps inside, and nobody using your phone can even see what those apps are without unlocking with face ID. So, yeah, that's going to be an interesting one because people can hide apps from just about anyone inside that folder and nobody will know. I message getting a lot of upgrades. You can use any emoji to react to a message. You can schedule text messages to go out later. You can format the text in text messages with various effects in styling. You can send messages via satellite if you don't have a cellular or Wi Fi signal. If you have an iPhone fourteen or fifteen or later, you'll be able to send messages over satellite no extra cost. Right now, Apple has still not said how much they're going to charge for any of these satellite features, but people have enjoyed them now for over a year or two now for free. One of the big things they didn't really go into very much but arecs. They are now going to support rich communication services. This means that messages exchanged between iPhone and Android, if they include a picture or a video, will finally look their best. Yes, this is a long time coming. It will finally cut down on that whole iPhone versus Android debate with messages because you can finally send people photos and videos that are high resolution. iOS eighteen is also getting a dedicated passwords app, so all these third party password managers you'll be able to use just the one that's inside iOS eighteen. And let's talk about Apple Intelligence. This is Apple's personal brand of AI. So of course, leave it to Apple to rename an entire genre of technology.
Speaker 2: They can't call it AI.
Speaker 1: They have to rename it instead of artificial intelligence. It is Apple Intelligence. So Siri is now getting reprogrammed to become a powerful AI chatbot programmed with knowledge about you. That means that it will have access to your email, your text messages, your photos, anything that you have on your phone, Siri will be able to tap into to understand the emails that you're sending, and you can ask questions like, Hey, when's my flight tomorrow? Or do I have lunch plans next week? Who am I having lunch with? Show me that picture of me in Montana diving into a pool, and not only will it find that video, it theoretically will fast forward right to you diving in that pool in Montana. Yes, powerful stuff. Powerful stuff requires a powerful iPhone. Apple Intelligence is only coming to the iPhone fifteen Pro models and up. Apple says they need this processing power and the older phones just don't give it to them. So if you have an iPhone fourteen, you're not getting these AI features. Now, to some of you you might like that, but to the rest of you you might say wow. Or even an iPhone fifteen you will not get the AI stuff. Apple also build what's called a private cloud compute, so they have kind of a trifold method of doing AI on the iPhones. They're going to try to handle it on the phone itself. If that's not enough, they're going to hand it off to this private cloud compute, and that is built with Apple products and Apple processors, and it's all very private. So it will take your question, it might take some of your data, but when it's done answering your question and setting it back to your phone, it's going to delete all that data. So they have said that privacy is paramount, and I do believe Apple because I sat through a lot of briefings where they talked about how much privacy they built into these new AI systems, and it is private. Now Chat GBT is also going to be built into the iPhone that is also not as private, but a little bit more private. So they did a deal with open ai where they said, look, you can have access to all of our iPhone users, but you're not going to get just carte blanche access. When they have a question, We're going to ask them every single time, do you want us to flip this question over to CHATCHI? And if they do, we're still not going to share any personal identifiable information with them.
Speaker 2: You're going to answer their.
Speaker 1: Question, and as soon as you do, you've got to delete their data and you cannot train your GPTs on their data. Now, why did open ai agree to this? Because it's Apple, they get to tap into millions and millions of iPhone users. That's a big new audience for them, and it's a lot of exposure. The big catch to all of this stuff you have to be fully immersed in the Apple ecosystem. Now they say eventually third party apps you can have your information in there and it may be able to tap into this Apple Intelligence. But right now, let's be honest, a lot of it's going to be through Apple Mail, Apple messages, Apple Photos.
Speaker 2: They want you to use Apple services.
Speaker 1: A couple other interesting things come in with these, Apple Intelligence and image Eraser. This will remove unwanted people and things from your photos, the ability to create AI images from your photo library.
Speaker 2: A built in phone call.
Speaker 1: Recorder, so now you can have your iPhone record all of your calls, transcribe and summarize them. Jen Moji these are custom emojis you can create, so if you want to send someone a picture of a donut in coffee, you can just say create a custom emoji. And of course the system wide tools for rewriting, proofreading, and summarizing text.
Speaker 2: It is a lot.
Speaker 1: I've outlined every one of these features in my newsletter this week. Go to Rich on tech dot tv to read it. We will talk about more of this throughout the show, but yes, Apple is putting a big dose of AI into their iPhones. It's going to be exciting, it's going to be interesting. We will see how it all plays out. Let's hope it's half as good as they promised.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's show, Microsoft already recalling their AI feature. We're going to talk about that, but first it is your turn. Give me a call. Your call's coming up at eight eight eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question technology. My name is Richdmiro and you are listening to Rich on tech. Steve from Pittsburgh writes in what are your recommendations for buying e sims for data for foreign travel? I travel a lot on cruises, and my additional free data via T mobile is not fast enough for me. Thanks well, Steve, Thanks for writing.
Speaker 2: In on the website.
Speaker 1: The answer I typically give is errol ai r alo ai, r alo errolo. They've got all kinds of sims that I've personally used in various countries. I've used this in Japan, I've used this in Germany. I've used this in Italy and some other places sprinkled throughout so you can get local sims. You can get one that's just for a country, you can get one that's regional, or you can get one that's global. Obviously, the more global you can go, the more expensive it's going to get. The more local you go, the typically the cheaper it is. And these work very very well. I will tell you my mom, who is not a techie, I was able to purchase this for her over the internet, have her install it on her phone, and when she landed in the foreign country that she went to, I said, just go into your settings, toggle on the eSIM and you will be able to connect to that network. And she was able to and her friends were marveling at her because they couldn't believe that their phones were not working and hers were. My other advice before you buy an eSIM is to check with your cell phone company. So I know Steve said that his data was too slow. But if you're with like an AT and T or a Verizon, sometimes depending on your plan, they will give you a certain number of days included of their day pass. Typically they charge about ten dollars a day for a day pass and sometimes to ending. On your plan, you may get one of those every month, or you may stalk those up. So for instance, on my plan, I have like ten of these stockpiled, so if I travel somewhere for a week, I'm pretty much covered for the week with those.
Speaker 2: Stockpiled day passes.
Speaker 1: I still prefer Aerlow better because it's just easier, it's simpler. I can turn off my regular cell phone service, but also check into Wi Fi calling and texting, because you should be able to get your texts and your calls internationally through your Wi Fi connection as long as your provider does not charge for that service. Most of them don't. Also, by the way, I ran this entire radio show. We did a remote show in Germany off an Aerlo simcard, so I know it's pretty good. I couldn't believe it, and it did not use much data at all. Now some other options. There's a new one. I was not familiar with this one, but it's called gig Sky gigsky dot com. I have not tested this, but I was very surprised because you can actually get a free INTERNATIONALESIM from them. So they offer a free one hundred megabyte eSIM data plan that you can use in over one hundred and ninety countries. You don't even need a credit card to try it out. So my recommendation is if you are traveling anywhere internationally, the best you can do for yourself is to just go to gigsky dot com download this eSIM, even if you don't need it, just to try it out and get the hang of it. Let's say you have Verizon and you get those free days, but just go ahead and go through the motions of setting up this eSIM, just so you're familiar with it. Because eSIMs have really revolutionized data internationally because it's so easy and most of the modern smartphones support them. In fact, if you have an iPhone I think it's fourteen, they switched over completely to an eSIM, so you can't even pop a physical SIM into the latest iPhones. So gigsky g I g Sky dot com. That's another option and another option. Again I have not to tested, but this is what I do. I will mention these, but I will test them eventually. Is called Sally sail Y, maybe it's called Sale. I would think it's Sally, but they also have and what's good about all of these e sims is they kind of work the same.
Speaker 2: You just search for the country you're going to.
Speaker 1: You type it into the website, it will tell you how much it costs, and then you can download the SIM to your the e SIM to your phone. It's very simple, and then you just activate it when you land in that country. So if you want links to any of those, just go to the website. Rich on tech dot TV hit the light bulb. I'll put that in there. Thanks for the question. If you have one eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The news this week Microsoft is actually delaying its recall feature for those Copilot Plus PCs. We talked about this so much a couple of weeks ago. Microsoft was so excited about this new recall feature that remembers everything on your screen and lets you search for it. And then the next week they said, oh, you know what, because of all the privacy concerns, we're not going to turn it on by default, and we're going to require the face ID login Microsoft hellow. And now this week they're just coming out and saying, you know what, we're actually not even gonna include it on those computers that are available on June eighteenth. We're just going to make this for our Windows Insider program. Those are like the real techy nerdy folks that download the software before everyone else. We're gonna let them try it out first, give us their feedback, and then maybe we'll activate this as an option on those Copilot plus PCs. So Microsoft doing a full one to eighty on this new AI powered recall feature.
Speaker 2: Pretty wild stuff eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is Rich dmiro. You are listening to Rich on tech Tony in Los Angeles. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 4: I recently noticed a feature or a voicemail on my iPhone where you can send it to a voicemail, but it starts texting you a live I guess text of the voicemail and if you want, you can answer it, sort of like an answering machine. Are you aware of that?
Speaker 5: And do you know anything about it?
Speaker 6: Have you noticed it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I've noticed it, and so has everyone else. Because here's the deal. It is annoying. It hijacked everyone's voicemail on the iPhone, and Apple didn't even tell anyone they were doing this, so yes, they announced it.
Speaker 2: It is called live voicemail.
Speaker 1: This is a feature that was introduced with iOS seventeen and this was turned on by default, and people all of a sudden started noticing their phones were acting strange, their voicemail was acting different, and it was just turned on. So live voicemail basically shows you what the caller is saying as they leave a voicemail message. It displays the message in real time on your screen, sort of like an old school voicemail or not voicemail, sort of like an old school answering machine. The caller cannot hear you unless you decide to answer the call. Now, this is obviously good for like cutting down on spam and things like that, but I think it surprised a lot of people because they just said, wait, what's going on here. I'm not really sure what my phone is doing at this point. And so you have the option to turn this on or off. If you want to turn it off, you can go into the settings app on your iPhone, tap phone and then tap live voicemail, and that will turn the feature on or off. So if you want to see what people said in the live voicemails, you can look in the voicemail tab. iPhone won't delete these, And it's just one of these things where I'm fine with it. I mean, I don't use voicemail in general, Like I don't even answer for a while. My phone just would not even have voicemail until I think they toggled this on. I just recently turned voicemail on on my phone. But the thing is, I don't need voicemail, like if someone if I see a missed call from a number, I know, I'm gonna call it back. Uh, and usually that person's gonna text me too. So that's the explanation for this live voicemail feature. I think it's a little odd that Apple turned it on for everyone, and it is a little confusing, So if you want it off, you can go into settings and turn it off. But I mean, I guess it's quite useful if you like to screen your calls, and this is something you are not able to easily do with your traditional voicemail carrier. But if you just want the regular voicemail experience where it goes to voicemail, person leaves a message and you can check it later, you can you can just turn this feature off in the settings. Tony, thanks for the question, Tony, good question today.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's see, let's go to do we have time. Let's go to Sue in Pacific Palisades, California.
Speaker 2: Sue, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 8: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic. What can I help you with? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I'm calling because we bought an Apple Watch for my husbands because it has the all detection feature. And for the first several times that he fell, it worked, and then I noticed it didn't work another time, another time, and another time, including one time when he broke his arm. So it's quite a hard fall.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 8: So I well, finally went down to the I made phone calls. They said, oh, it's sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, just a function of the feature.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great answer.
Speaker 8: Well it gets worse.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's worse.
Speaker 8: So finally go to the Apple store and they tried to say, well, you have to take your phone to Watch in to be repaired, and I pressed further. They finally got an engineer on the phone after a long call who says that they know they have a problem with the fall feature and they're waiting on an update for the PHM. I mean, excuse me for the watch to do it. But the problem is in the meantime, they know about this, but they're not letting people who depend upon the feature know that some of watches have this problem.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you mean some watches have this problem? What I mean? Number one, I'm always a little.
Speaker 1: Bit hesitant when some random, unnamed engineer says we know there's a problem, because I don't think Apple would admit that.
Speaker 2: I don't I've not heard.
Speaker 1: Of a major issue with this fall detection, but I will tell you I agree with you. It is definitely all over the place and you cannot rely on it.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I'm playing football out in the street with my kid wearing my Apple Watch, and I'm not kidding. On the second throw, it says, hey do you take a hard fall? And it happens quite often, and I'm like, how does this algorithm not know so when a football is being catched versus me taking a hard fall? But you know, these features are experimental, they are new, and it definitely is one of these things where Apple is not making any guarantees. If you look in the fine print of any of their medical features, it's like, oh, and by the way, you can't really rely on these things in a real, you know, situation, so you have to be very careful with that. What did the engineer say is the problem with the feature?
Speaker 8: They said, And first of all, the fact that it worked even on the slightest provocation early on and now it doesn't work at all, even in a very difficult situation led us to explore, and the manager of the Apple store got on the phone with a lot of different people, finally ended up with someone in their tech department who said, yes, we know, we have a problem that didn't basically didn't exist before. Something has happened that some of the watches need a software up date and in order to start working again for fall detection. And I'm just telling you what the person on the phone said to the Apple store manager.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, what I would do, I would do a couple of things. Number one, I would go into your Apple Watch. I would reset the Apple Watch. So I would do a complete factory reset, okay, and that would take everything back to the factory system. Then I would make sure go into the Apple Watch app and make sure that there are no updates pending for your Apple Watch. There are you know, from time to time, there's a lot of updates for these things, so I would make sure that all of those updates have been installed on this device. After you do the want, I want you to start fresh, and then once you start fresh, do all the software updates. Then go into the settings on your Apple Watch, go into SOS and fall detection and make sure it's turned on. And then also you need to kind of look at when this thing is activating because there's an always on feature, which means fall detection is always checking to see if you've fallen, and then there's one that's only on during workouts, so that means it's only going to detect if you've taken a fall while you've started a workout. Now, I do know that Apple has you know, they've been improving this and they've been doing better with this stuff. I'm reading something interesting here. Okay, See, if you're between the ages of eighteen and fifty five, setting up a new Apple Watch fall detection during workouts is oh wow, Okay, that's interesting. So it could be that this is set up that this is only turned on during workouts if you're between eighteen and fifty five. So definitely check that setting and make sure and then if you notice, here's the fine print I was talking about. It says Noe Apple Watch cannot detect all falls. The more physically active you are, the more likely you are to trigger fall detection due to high impact activity that can appear.
Speaker 2: To be a fall.
Speaker 1: So with all of this said, I know, Sue that it's it's not what you want to hear because it's not a perfect system, and I get that, but the fact that you've got your husband clearly seems to be at risk of falling, you need to be sure that whatever system he has in place to get help if that happens if he's alone, that is working. So I would look into this, and I would look into maybe there are some more, you know, hardier solutions out there that are more dedicated to this.
Speaker 2: I'm not aware of those.
Speaker 1: I often go to some of these events with like medical devices and things like that, but you may want to look into, you know, maybe something like you know, one of those like life alert kind of things or something like that where he can manually trigger it as well.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: Please do those software updates, Please check the settings, and hopefully you don't have to use this feature, but if you do, it could really be life saving. And I know this has helped a lot of people. The pixel Watch has it, the Apple Watch has it, and it really does help. But again it's just not perfect. Eight A eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website is rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: If you have a.
Speaker 1: Question, give me a call, or you can send an email through the website.
Speaker 2: Just hit the contact button.
Speaker 1: Coming up, Speaking of watches, I'll tell you about Samsung's affordable new Galaxy Watch that's coming up right here on rich on Tech. Let's go to Brett in Lamar, Colorado. Brett, you're on with rich.
Speaker 3: Rich Hullo.
Speaker 5: My wife and I share an Apple Idy and have for years, and somewhere around maybe the first of the year, our phones started sharing voicemails and call logs. Yep, so her phone don't actually come to her phone, calls don't come to my phone, but her voicemails do.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: This was a change in iOS seventeen where I got a lot of calls about this early on about people saying, what's going on here? All of a sudden, I'm seeing all the phone calls from my partner and I said, well, what's happening. Do you share an Apple ID? Well, yeah, well that's why it's happening. So the only way around this is to set up a secondary Apple ID, and that way your wife will have you know, will have their voicemails and things, and you'll have your voicemails. And that's really the only way to get around it. Because they made some sort of key change in iOS seventeen. I think what they did was they linked the call logs with iCloud, which maybe they didn't do in the past, and so I think that's what triggered this change. And so I'm trying to see if there's a let's see, is there a Okay, so there is now there is one more option you can try. I've not tried this, but Brett, just in general, my general recommendation is that people do not share their Apple ID, and that's for a lot of reasons. Number one, it's confusing because you're using the same Apple ID to log into different devices and two different people are using them, and that could have some security implications if one of the devices gets lost, that could be a problem, but also just for confusion and things like this. An Apple has a system for this. It's called family sharing. So all you have to do is set up a secondary Apple ID. Everything is shared across the Apple ID. So if you purchased an app and paid a subscription for it, you know your partner would be able to download that app to their phone and still have that subscription.
Speaker 2: This happened the other day with my wife.
Speaker 1: I told her about this great app I downloaded and she's like, ah, it's like twelve bucks for the year. I said, no, no, you should just be able to log in and use my subscription because we're sharing that family plan. Now, it might depend on how the app developer sets it up, but in this case, yeah, she downloaded it and said, oh you have premium, you're good. And so I think there's a lot of a lot of parents as well do this. They give their kids their iPad and they sign in with their Apple ID, and next thing you know, the kid is getting all of the parents text messages on their iPad. That's because you're sharing the same Apple ID. So I don't recommend this for a lot of reasons, mostly privacy, mostly organization and security. So the only other thing, Brett, that I could recommend it, And like I said, I have not tried this myself. But if you go into iCloud on the devices, okay, So go into settings, okay, tap your name at the top where it says your name, that's your iCloud. It gets your Apple ID account, and then you tap iCloud okay, and then there will say apps using iCloud, tap show all and there is an option where it says phone and FaceTime. So I would assume if you turn that off, you should stop sharing the call logs and the voicemails because now it's not uploading those to iCloud and it's not re downloading them to your partner's phone. So you can try that if you want to continue sharing this Apple ID. Again, I don't typically recommend sharing the Apple ID, but if you must, that might be the way around it. I'll put those instructions on the website. Rich on tech dot tv hit the light bulb. Thanks for the call today, Brett in Colorado eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Samsung has a new smart watch that is an affordable new smart watch. It's called the Galaxy Watch FE. FE used to stand for Fan Edition. This is kind of their more budget line of their devices. So they come out with their main devices and then they come out with these FE version of the devices. They come out with them for the phone and now the watch and the earbuds, and it's kind of like a more basic budget version. They still have a lot of great features for the price. So this watch is two hundred dollars and it is. It's got all the health monitoring features, sleep tracking, heart rate tracking, exercise tracking. It's got forty millimeters size, so it's not the biggest out there, and especially with the bezel if you see it in person, the bezel is kind of thick on this one, so the screen's not the biggest. But again, this is a very reasonably priced smart watch. It's got durable sapphire crystal glass. Comes in three colors, black, pink, gold, and silver, and pink gold goes together, not black, pink gold and silver, black pink gold and silver. Obviously, it's going to work with all of the Samsung devices. You know, you can control the camera, use it for payments, tap to pay all that good stuff. This is going to be available in the US starting on June twenty fourth, and again it's one hundred and ninety nine dollars for the Galaxy Watch FE. The LTE will be available in October for two hundred and forty nine dollars. These are both fantastic prices. They kind of undercut the Apple Watch and some of the other pixel watches and things by a couple of bucks. And so I think this is a very smart move because you pretty much get everything you need. You're not really missing a lot with this device. But you might be thinking, rich, well what am I missing? What am I not getting by not spending all the pricey money on a Galaxy Watch six series.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what you don't get.
Speaker 1: You get a slightly slower processor, and it's not by much, it's just it's just a slightly slower processor. You're gonna get a slightly smaller battery, You're gonna get a little bit less Bluetooth.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: It means that the FE is supporting Bluetooth five point zero, while the Galaxy Watch six series is supporting Bluetooth five point three.
Speaker 2: That just means that Bluetooth is going to be a.
Speaker 1: Little bit more evolved on the higher end models, but I think you're gonna be just fine here. And the main sensor that you do not get is the temperature sensor. So if you're really interested in that temperature censor tracking, which I will admit is getting much more popular among these watches because people are relying on that to tell them if they're getting sick. So if you notice that your temperature is deviating from its norm, that's an indicator that you might be getting sick.
Speaker 2: I'm not a doctor.
Speaker 1: This is not medical advice, but I'm just saying that's what people are using as that telltale sign that they might be coming down with a cold or something else. Is that temperature sensor. You do not get that in the Galaxy Watch fe But otherwise not a bad deal. Coming up June twenty fourth, one hundred and ninety nine bucks. If you're in that Samsung World, might not be a bad addition to your wrist eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one the website rich on tech dot TV. Coming up much more show I'm gonna tell you the apps that Apple is overshadowing with iOS eighteen coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A. Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Hope you're having a fantastic day. I know I am. You can follow me on social media at rich on Tech. I'm on Instagram, I'm on Facebook, I'm on x Although Facebook told me your posts are no longer resonating with your followers, here's some things you can do to make sure they see them.
Speaker 2: So what.
Speaker 1: All these social media platforms they want you to interact as much as humanly possible with the people that are commenting and with the posts and all that kind of stuff. They want you to post on other people's stuff. And it's a problem because I don't have time for that. You know, I've got three social networks, plus a newsletter that I'm trying to keep up, plus this show, plus the TV segments. I can't sit there and comment on every single comment that someone comments on my Facebook page. So sorry, Facebook, I will keep putting my stuff on there, But yeah, they don't show it to as many people as they should because they want it to be a two way street. That's why I really kind of doubled down on my newsletter, which I send out to everyone basically on Fridays or Saturday mornings. So that's I know that I know is going to reach your inbox. So if you want to sign up for that Rich on tech dot tv, just hit sign up. It is free and it's pretty cool. It's pretty much everything I think you should know in the week, all in one place. All right, So WWDC happened this week Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. Let me just tell you a couple more things that happened there. So let's talk about let's see, let's do the Watch. So watch OS eleven. This is for the Apple Watch New Things here, they've got this new vitals app. So this vitals app is going to monitor your vital signs, so different things that are happening, like your body temperature, your heart rate, your vitals basically and your breathing, and it's going to let you know if there's any change in those vitals. And again I was talking about this earlier with the temperature sensor. This it might tell you in the morning, hey, you had an elevated heart rate last night. That could either mean that this is happening or maybe you drink alcohol or something like that. Like it'll show you these different little insights on your watch. Activity rings are getting more customizable. You're able to pause them. I could care less about the activity rings. I like to close them, but I don't really give much thought to them. But I guess a lot of people do and make sure that they always close their rings every day, And I think that's great if that's motivation for you. When the Apple Watch first came out, yes, I looked at my rings all the time. But now I kind of know when I do a workout. Right, if I go running on the tread for half an hour, I know I got a workout, so I don't need to look at the rings to let me know that I got that workout. But I know a lot of people maybe if you're just doing steps or something like that. But people get into these streaks, all of these apps. They love these streaks because it keeps you engaged. So you can pause your rings. Like let's say you get a broken leg, you can pause your rings that you don't lose your streak. Okay, the smart Stack that's the thing if you roll up the little scrolly dial on the Apple Watch, that's the stuff that comes up. Developers can now develop specifically for that, so that'll get smarter, maybe more useful. Also, the translate app. This is kind of cool because the translate app is something that's very handy if you are out and about in a foreign country need stuff translated. That is now on the Apple Watch with watchOS eleven. And you can also download the languages offline. So let's say you're in Italy you need to ask someone direction somewhere, you can do it all through your Apple Watch. And the check in feature is coming to the Apple Watch. The check in feed is the feature that says, hey, I'm going out for a run, make sure I come back home. If I don't, email or text a loved one and tell them, hey, we're you know, check on me. So that's the Apple Watch. Then we've got iPad OS eighteen. The main thing that's coming to the iPad os is this thing called math notes and a calculator. So it's been a long running joke that there's no calculator app for the iPad. Finally, the iPad is getting an official calculator app. But the neat feature is called math notes. What is math notes? It's pretty much a I don't know how to explain it. It's a piece, you know. It's a place where you do math equations, but it solves them in your own handwriting. So you can write down two plus two equals and it will give you the number four, but it writes it in your handwriting. Yeah, it's super wild and weird, but it's gonna be great for kids learning math, I guess, or cheating on math however you want to look at it. But overall, it can handle really complex equations and again it answers them in your handwriting. Only Apple would come up with something like that. It is so wild. I've seen it in person and it works.
Speaker 2: It's cool, and it's gonna be a neat feature.
Speaker 1: They also have one more feature which I personally can't wait to try. You can write on the page in your own handwriting, and the iPad will clean up your handwriting. It will make you a better writer, so it's actually more legible. Because my handwriting is horrible. You can't read it, so iPads supposedly will just clean it up and it learns your handwriting over time. I mean it literally learns how to write just like you. You can copy and paste text onto a page and it will write that down in your own handwriting. I mean, come on, this is just wild, wild stuff Mac os Sequoia. The main new feature there, this is for you know, desktops and laptops, is iPhone mirroring. You will now be able to see your iPhone screen on your computer desktop, and not only see it, but manipulate it. So whatever you need to do on your iPhone, you'll be able to do right from your computer screen. So if you are on your computer all day long at work and your iPhone is next to your computer, instead of glancing down and unlocking your iPhone and doing all these things to like check notifications and stuff, all of that will come straight through to your Mac computer and you can actually manipulate anything on your iPhone screen that you would typically pick up your phone to do. So that's gonna be kind of a neat thing for the Mac computers. Now let's get to the most important one, the Apple Vision pro. Okay, I'm kind of kidding because I know this has not sold a ton, but I still do have high hopes for the Apple Vision Pro when they can make it smaller, lighter, and I don't think it needs to be better, because I think it's already incredible. I think it just needs to be smaller and lighter, and that's basically it, and get rid of that battery pack. But the Apple Vision OS, it's called Vision OS, that's what it runs on there. This is a major new update. It's called Vision OS two. One of the main things you can do create spatial photos from any existing photo. It uses advanced machine learning to kind of separate the image from the background, and your photos look like they're in three D. Of course, Apple does not use the term three D. They use spatial because three D is standard. Spatial little more unique. There's new hand gestures so you can I forget what they are, but there's a bunch of new hand gestures that make it easier to navigate.
Speaker 2: This is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: You can make your Mac in your screen, in your virtual VR screen. You can make your Mac display huge, so you can make it giant in front of you. You can make it really giant or like one of those giant, giant, giant curve screens. And that is really cool. I can't wait to try that out. So if you just have a regular small computer screen, if you have a Mac computer, you can see that computer screen in the vision os like in this headset the Apple Vision Pro. But now you can make that screen huge, like one of those big wrap around screens that everyone loves to have at work.
Speaker 2: That's cool, let's see.
Speaker 1: The other thing is that they now have I talked about this on this show, how annoying it is to have a guest try out your Vision Pro because they have to go through this whole process of setting it up, and then as soon as they take it off their head all that information goes away they have to reset it. Well, Apple said, oh okay, we will save your hand and I data for thirty days now, so if you want a family member or a friend to try it out, their information will be saved in the vision Pro headset for thirty days. It's interesting that they didn't go as far as adding guest users, like multiple users, but this, I guess is like a little tiptoe step towards that, because they're really trying to make the Apple Vision Pro a one on one kind of device.
Speaker 2: Okay, So with all that said, Apple at.
Speaker 1: WWDC twenty twenty four rendered a lot of third party apps useless or redundant. This is something called sherlocking. So back in the day, Apple came out with an app that replaced an app called Shurelock.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get this wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't exactly know the history on this, but basically, sherlocking is when Apple comes out with one of their own apps that replaces a third party app. So, for instance, I use an app on my Mac computer called Rectangle, and that app is now redundant because Apple has built this feature into the Mac operating system. So tech Crunch went through and came up with a list of all the different apps. So number one, their password app now competes with one password, last Pass, Bitwarden and proton Pass. The native call recording and transcription in the iPhone now challenges tape a Call and True Caller Voice transcription in the Notes app that replaces Otter Audio pen and Voice nototes dot Com. The iPhone mirroring on the Mac overshadows the Bezel app. Then that Windows tiling feature I just talked about replaces the functionality of Magnet and Rectangle. The custom emoji creation competes with the nugipp I don't know that one. Oh yeah, you can also create custom trails in Apple Maps that challenges the all Trails app. And then of course you've got the writing tools powered by AI that impacts grammarly, which I absolutely love on my computer.
Speaker 2: But now I might not need it anymore.
Speaker 1: So all of these apps that Apple comes out with first party it kind of puts these third party developers in a tough place because it's much easier to use the app that's built into the iPhone or the iPad or the Mac computer instead of downloading and potentially.
Speaker 2: Paying for a third party app. They do it all the time.
Speaker 1: Eighty to eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Right after the break the website Richontech dot TV.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Damio.
Speaker 1: You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology at triple eight Rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Get to the phone lines in just a second. I see you hanging on there.
Speaker 2: I just want to explain. I kind of.
Speaker 1: Quickly went over the apps that Apple was replacing, and I mentioned the sherlocking thing, and I didn't really know exactly what that meant because I wasn't describing it very well. So sherlocking is when Apple releases a new feature or app that sort of replicates the functionality of an existing third party app, essentially making the latter redundant. So this term was coined after Apple's shrlock search app came out in the late nineties. See that's why I didn't know, because that was kind of before my time rendered this. Other software companies they they made a very similar app called Watson, and when Apple came out was shrlock, it made the Watson app obsolete, and so that's why people called it shrlocking. So now you know, let's go to Alan and Santa Clarita. Alan, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey, Rich, love your shows, Thank you. I have an issue my one of my family members back. He suddenly has anointed us as a a friendly group of the family and has sent this Marie photo they've ever taken up their children, and I went to jump them because they're clogging my iPhoto in their clog in my cloud and it tells me I can't delete them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't delete the uh the album or what?
Speaker 3: I can't delete the album?
Speaker 6: Another?
Speaker 3: Let me back up here.
Speaker 2: So this was shared with you, Yeah, albums shared with me.
Speaker 3: And when I go to let me try to dump it.
Speaker 2: Here, it'll work because you're on the phone with me.
Speaker 3: Now of course, Well I drug it, drugged the entire album to the trash. Yeah, and it's just staring at me.
Speaker 2: Okay, illuminated.
Speaker 3: I can't even no, I can't even move it around, let's say, on the page.
Speaker 2: So are you doing this from your Mac computer, your iPhone?
Speaker 3: My mac computer?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So first off, as far as I understand, the shared albums shouldn't take up storage in your I cloud. It should only take up the storage in the sharer's iCloud unless you Yeah, that's that's number one. So it should not really affect your iCloud storage. And that makes sense because you know Apple. Like, let's say I'm sharing my photos with you, right, so I make this album, I put all these photos in there. That's gonna They're stored in my iCloud, right, That's where they are first and foremost. And so when I share that link to you, it's just a link to those albums. Yes, it might show up in your shared you know albums, but it's not taking up any memory on your iCloud because where those photos physically live is on my iCloud storage. That's number one. If it makes you feel any better, that's the way that should work. Now, if you're doing a shared library, that's a different scenario. A shared library is where a spouse or a partner whoever, wants to share all of their pictures in their library, and they it uses up storage on both of their I clouds because it's kind of not not necessarily duplicating those pictures, but it kind of is in a in a you know, in a way.
Speaker 2: So that's number one.
Speaker 1: Number two, if you want to delete this, I'm I have a shared album right here, and I'm looking at it, and it shows me my shared album details, which has the owner and all the other people that can see it. And then there's an option to unsubscribe, so you can try that and see if that helps by unsubscribing to that album. But if it's just the storage that you're worried about, you know that that shouldn't be too much of an issue because it, as far as I know, that does not take up storage on your iCloud unless you take a picture from that album and you save it to yours. So if you press the share icon on the album and then say save to my you know iCloud, which is you know, you press that share icon, it says save image. That will save that image permanently into your iCloud life library. So that reminds me I should probably do that on these images because I'm looking at this shared album and't I don't think I saved those to my library. But Alan, I hope that helps clear things up there in Santa Clarita. I mean, look, we are in the sharing economy and sometimes people like to share a lot of stuff, and that's what sounds like is happening with you. So try those things and see if it helps. And if you can't unsubscribe on your computer, maybe try it on the iPhone and hit that unsubscribe in the menu and that should delete it that shared album from your phone and from your iCloud library. Let's see here. Let's go to Mike and Corona, California. Mike, you're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 9: Rich, Hi, My question is Apple. I have an iPhone Apple fifteen, right, and I'm getting like updates, If not every week, probably every other week is the latest, and that was seventeen points something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Now my question to you Rich the apps that I myself count on just to make a living, do they get affected by these by these updates? For example, the sound notification, it's stopped sending sound notification. We count on it because in the middle of the night, a job comes up, right, and if there's no sound, there's no way for me to know that there's a job.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Now, again the question is those updates would they affect these apps?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can for sure, and in fact, specifically with a sound I know Apple in a recent update did tweak the sound because so many people are having issues with not being able to set their own notification sounds and the notification sound that was the default was too silent. So yes, I know recently they did change the notification sounds and they tweaked it a little bit, so that could be what you're experiencing. But yes, in general, any software update can change any functionality at any time, So if there's an app that's very important to you that you rely on, be sure to check those that functionality After a major software update of either the app or the operating system every time. Great question, Mike.
Speaker 2: Coming out.
Speaker 1: We'll talk more WWDC right here on rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment, but first I want to talk more about Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. This is where Apple showed off Apple Intelligence and also iOS eighteen some of the new features coming to the iPhone. So I talked to a bunch of journalists up there and I got their take on some of the biggest announcements. Let's start with Zach. He's the editor at large for nine to five Mac, and he talks about Apple's own brand of AI.
Speaker 10: I think for a lot of people these software updates will be the first introduction to AI in general. They're using that phrase Apple Intelligence rather than saying AI. I think it makes it a little more friendly or a little less scary than the connotation AI taking over may have. I think they get a very good job of narrowing down what the AI does, what Apple Intelligence can do, in terms of this will help you be a better writer, It will help you communicate better with image generation in playful ways, ways that people already use, generating your own emojis that have waiting for them to finally make whatever emoji you want to see one day, and those are the things that people will actually do.
Speaker 2: And there's things like integrating with chat GPN.
Speaker 11: See.
Speaker 12: So if you're a.
Speaker 10: Power AI user already, you can look at Apple Intelligence and say, okay, those are some system integrated things, but you can also continue using AI that you've already learned and sort of mastered for free anonymously, which is the Apple privacy angle. And that's that's a big difference in Apple Intelligence and what they're doing versus other companies. But they're also working with those companies making them more private. There's even a feature to let you pay for chat to BT and get more out of those features with your mac, iPhone and iPad, and that's I think the best anyone can ask for in terms of getting Apple's version of AI as well as the existing stuff out there. I think it's a very exciting update this year for all the hardware. I think that where companies like open Ai need to sell their AI as a service. Apple is using AI to sell their devices, their hardware, and their services sure, and I also think it's only the first year that AI will deeply influence what the software bits do because they're doing modern AI right now. But over the next year it will change, and each year in the next few years, I think it'll change quickly so that iOS nineteen and iOS twenty be just as AI specific as I was eighteen today.
Speaker 1: Next up Carolina Milansy. She is the president and principal analyst at Creative Strategies, and she talks a lot about how Apple has full control over their hardware and software, which allows them to integrate AI throughout their devices, but maintain that all important privacy.
Speaker 13: I think obviously, for Apple, privacy is paramount, and I think they did a good job in explaining that everything that is Apple Intelligence, that is homegrown by Apple is private both on device and in the cloud. So they're using their servers with their silicon to make sure that whenever the model on the device is not enough and they need to go to the cloud, everything remains private and secure.
Speaker 9: I think the.
Speaker 13: Difference that Apple has is that they control everything right, They control the operating system. They control the hardware and then some of the services they have on it, and that gives you the ability to really bring AI throughout the system, throughout the device, and so the phone in this case for others like Samsong is a bit more complicated because they don't control all the pieces, and so they're still value, but you're going to have to pick and choose where you want that value to show up.
Speaker 1: Mark Spoonauer, global editor in chief at Tom's Guide, talks about how iOS eighteen will bring some useful features to everyday users, but Apple Intelligence will be limited to the latest iPhone fifteen Pro models and later, which might leave some users behind.
Speaker 14: I would say that AI was everywhere, but in a good way, in the sense that it's going to be coming to the devices that we already use. But there's a catch, I think with the Apple Intelligence in particular, because it's nice that they're thinking about like the personal and contextual awareness and things like that, but the fact that it's limited to the latest model iPhone fifteen Pro and iPhone fifteen Pro macs, I think it's going to leave millions out in the cold. Like if you have an iPhone fifteen from this year, you still can't participate, So I think it goes to show that Apple Silicon you need something really powerful under the hood in order to enjoy all.
Speaker 15: Of these new features.
Speaker 14: So I think there's a lot of people who are gonna have upgrade envy. I think there's always been conspiracy theories around new iOS updates in terms of like forcing people to upgrade to the latest model iPhone. But in the past it's been about like slowing down performance or less battery life than before. But here is a tangible reason to potentially upgrade, no conspiracy theories required. Yeah, there's a lot of features that don't have nothing to do with Apple Intelligence that I actually think are useful for everyday users. One is the fact that you can customize your control center, for example, the fact that you could swipe down and then you decide what shortcuts are and which orders or whenever you're actually unlocking your iPhone. Up until now it's been flashlight and camera. Now you can choose what those are as well, so people aren't locked out of new features. When it comes to iOS eighteen, it's just the AI stuff that is only reserved for the most powerful iPhones. I think to a certain degree with Samsung's phone and the Galaxy AI, it feels bolted on after the fact, where I think with the iPhone and iOS eighteen in particular, it feels very much woven into the system, especially with Siri, and I think that's one area where both Google and Samsung in a weird way, are going to be catching.
Speaker 2: Up to Apple.
Speaker 1: Jason Heiner, editor in chief at zd net, talks about how Apple's new features will save time for users.
Speaker 16: Apple's taking a lot of the things that they could do, the ways they can automate things in life, and bringing them into the iPhone in ways that are going to be really meaningful, I think, to a lot more people going forward and so doing things like the demo in the in the keynote was talking about somebody going and asking what time is my mom's flight?
Speaker 2: Is it delayed?
Speaker 16: You know, and it would instead of having to go into a bunch of different apps, Siri then can pull that data based on a text message, based on an email, based on a flight an app that has the flight.
Speaker 15: Data in it.
Speaker 2: So doing a lot of things.
Speaker 16: That are going to make so much of the stuff that we do on our phones all the time, for everybody a lot smoother, a lot more intuitive, and frankly, just saving people time and also headaches and saving phone calls, saving sorting through messages, all of those things. Anything that this tech can do to do that save people time and effort and make things easier is going to be a win. And I think there's potentially.
Speaker 15: A lot of those kinds of things.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think that the opportunity to search through your photo library is something that is so simple but really powerful. We all have photos that are hard to find. The idea of just being able to essentially ask questions of your photo library and say, find that time that I went on vacation, you know, with my aunt to London or something like that, and let it just pull all of those photos for you, rather than you know, swiping around and do it is super powerful. And then even the idea of being able to search through a video and find a certain point in a video that could be really cool too. And again, I think just for everyday uses.
Speaker 2: And for all of us, I think it will be really powerful.
Speaker 1: And finally, Jacqueline Dallas, a YouTuber with the channel nothing but Tech, says she's impressed with the new customization options in iOS.
Speaker 6: I think the interesting part of iOS is that it's more customizable now, and that's small, but I think that a lot of people that use Android often say that iOS is not customizable. So it's nice to see the ability to move icons. You can also have the icons that color matched. All those small things. Oh and then also the tap back notifications are cool. You can now customize them, so any emoji. So RCS means a rich communication service and it's a more secure version of SMS that Google developed, meaning that your images will be encrypted. You can send like high resolution ones. And previously Apple did not adopt it, so if you had an Android phone, everything would suck when you're messaging an iPhone. RCS will make it suck a little bit less. I don't think it's going to change the cultural stigma though. I think what Apple does really well is extreme the fundamentals, and so I think if we were like, look at what's going to happen with AI and I phone, it will just become part of the phone and we won't be like, oh, it's AI iPhone, just like the phone does things really well.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the dream of all computers and mobile devices? We want them to do what we need them to do, and we want to be able to ask them in a very natural language. It sounds like Apple has taken a big step towards that once again. The phone number triple a Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. My name is Rich Demiro and you are listening to Rich on tech. Jerry's in Rancho, Santa Margarita, California. Jerry, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 17: Hey, uh, great to hear you again. And I've called you before many kinds.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, We've got to repeat call.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I've got a weird question. I've been doing some research. Back in December, I just got my iPhone fifteen promacs. It's been a great phone. But I've been seeing some articles about I message and just not loading or crashing constantly. And they said that there's a way to turn off FaceTime and messages, but sometimes it's even locked where I can't even turn off FaceTime or as a fix. Have you read or seen any information on the updated iOS where the I messages are I just get a blank screen, then it crashes and I have to restart the phone a couple times. Any info that you might have in your bag of tricks.
Speaker 1: I know that there was an issue with I Message when iOS seventeen first came out. It was like a little bit wonky, but I've not heard anything since. And just doing a quick search of the web for I Message crashing, I'm not getting any articles that are actually legitimate, like articles. I'm getting a lot of you know, forum posts and Apple discussions and all that kind of stuff that's not really anything that's I mean, look, and this happens a lot on this show and in general. When I get emails from people, they say, hey, Rich, I'm having this problem with my phone and a lot of other people are having the same problem. And I say, what do you mean a lot of other people? And they say, well, I looked up online and I found this forum where everyone's complaining about this problem. Well, yes, because everyone searching Google going to that form that's having that situation and they are posting in that same exact post. Now, that doesn't mean that it's not happening. In fact, a lot of times when things I call it bubbling up, right, like, these issues will happen and they start on Reddit posts, and they start in forums, and then all of a sudden, it is, you know, a software update or something will address it later on. So I'm not saying that it's not happening, but I guarantee you if you search this you know this issue online, you'll find a million documents that purport to help you figure out how to stop this from happening, when realistically, there's not a way that I know of to just like reset I message altogether. So my best advice, Jerry, would be to do this. If you're having issues, I would go through your I message and I would delete a couple of messages that maybe, you know, maybe just go through and clean up your messages and get rid of some of the either the larger files or you know, I don't know some of the older messages I've got. I've got like thousands of messages in my I message and I don't have any issues. I've never never had a crash in that. So it could be that there's something that was sent to you that could be triggering this. There could be one of the messages in the list that just has some weird characters that maybe are causing this. But I'm not really sure on a method to just get this fixed, like instantly, because there's not really a way I know of doing that. You can go through and delete all your messages and start over and restart your phone and see if that helps. But that's the best case scenario I can think of. What is when you're looking online, like, what is the main kind of theme that everyone's saying causes.
Speaker 17: This of replies? And oh, yeah, I had, but it's like older articles or older forums. And you're right, but I have done what you suggested. When you clicked on the top left corner, you can actually get that pop up to select messages you wanted to lead. And I've done that often on stuff that you know, like blocked spam and stuff like that that I have to get rid of constantly. But you're right, I think maybe there's a couple of extra large text messages that may have triggered something like that. And I think that's what I saw in an article that sometimes that can happen, and you know, and I'm probably it's not a real bad thing, but sometimes it's just frustrating when it shows the number of unread messages and it says four and it won't load, and I get that blank screen and I have to just power off and restart the phone about two or three times in a row, and then it's fine.
Speaker 1: That is very frustrating. So I guess what I would do in this case. I'd probably if if I was having like major issues where I had to restart my phone two or three times, I'd probably do two things. Number One, I'd go through and I would just blast. I would just get rid of every message in my I message list. To me, text messages are fleeting, they're ephemeral. You don't need them, like I know some people they're obsessed with keeping their messages forever.
Speaker 2: I don't care if someone's texting me.
Speaker 1: I mean they're telling me what time of flight lands, they're saying, hey, i'll see there in five minutes. I don't need a record of anything in my text. Like, if it's something that I need to keep, I'm gonna keep it. I'm gonna copy it, i'm gonna paste it, I'm gonna get an email. So that's what I would do first off, is just delete everything in my messages, if you're okay with that, and then I would go through and I would restart my phone, make sure everything is up to date on the software up page, which I'm sure you've already done, and then I would see if it keeps happening. If it keeps happening, then I would probably personally, I would format my phone completely. I know this sounds wild, but if you're trying to you know, if you're telling me you're restarting your phone two or three times in a row, that should not happen with an iPhone, and iPhone is just not that buggy.
Speaker 2: It just isn't.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe if you're running beta software, that could happen. I assume you're not right, No, okay, So I mean you know that would be the next case. Thing that I would do is personally, I would just wipe my entire phone and reset and and kind of put everything back on there one by one instead of restoring it from an iCloud backup. And I'm just looking real quick, I'm gonna look into General and there's a there's a reset iPhone functionality, and I'm gonna see if there's something that we can do here.
Speaker 2: Let's see reset all settings. Yeah, there's not like one that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not one that like says reset all my messages you could try reset all settings or reset network settings and see if that helps. Maybe it's a network thing. But yeah, Jerry, those are the two things I would do to see if maybe one of those works. I think if you if you did the nuclear thing where you deleted all your messages, that would probably fix it. And then restart your phone and start fresh, that would definitely fix it. I think, as long as you're not restoring it from an iCloud backup. But I feel you, I hear you, and you know, if there's something like that happening on your phone, it is very frustrating. It's just it's not the way it's supposed to be, and so hopefully one of those things works. The other thing I would do, just real quick, is go into your messages and at the upper left hand corner. I'm sure you've done this, but there's a thing called filters, and you can see you've got all messages known senders, unknown senders on read and then recently deleted. You can go into your recently deleted. It will delete these up to forty days later after you delete them, but you can go through and manually delete them by just tapping delete all. And I've got I just found four hundred and thirty one messages in there. I'm gonna go ahead and delete that now. I've got a bunch of that stuff that's not taking up storage on my phone anymore. Or an iCloud and I would restart my phone, maybe start there and see if that helps. Maybe there's something that deleted folder that you've gotten rid of, but it's still just causing some sort of issue on there. Great call, Jerry, thanks for trusting me to call me again.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate that. So thanks for listening to the show.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Un Like all the parents on Instagram that can't believe that their kid is turning another age, I.
Speaker 2: Can't believe my kid is turning nine. I can't believe my kid's turning ten. We're surprised every year.
Speaker 1: I'm always surprised that another hour of this show is in the can. We've got another hour coming up right after this. My name is Rich Dmiro. You are doing something smart. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight. Rich one oh one. That's eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Still coming up on the show, I'll talk about Yahoo mal getting a modern makeover, how you can renew your passport online. And uh, it is Father's Day week, so Happy Father's Day to all of the incredible fathers out there, father figures. I also know that this weekend can be difficult for some, so I totally understand that, and I'm thinking of you out there as well. I am a dad, I have two kids, and best thing that ever happened to me.
Speaker 2: My kids are incredible.
Speaker 1: They are challenging, probably just as challenging as I was as a kid, and they keep me on my toes and they're probably a lot smarter than me too. The access to information that my children have compared to what I had when I was a kid, is just truly incredible. When I was a kid, if you didn't have the answer to a question, where did you go? I mean other than the library?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You asked someone and that person maybe told you what they knew about that topic. And sometimes it was right, sometimes it was wrong. There's a lot of misinformation going on around there. These kids ask Google. Now, they ask Ai and Hopefully they're not asking TikTok because that is just filled with a lot of stuff that they should not be listening to. But hope you get some time to celebrate with your loved ones this weekend.
Speaker 2: I know I will be doing that and yeah, enjoy.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you about this website that's speaking of dads, So if you want to keep your kids busy during your celebrations, this is a website called dad Can't Draw. This is a website that creates custom coloring book pages for kids based on whatever you type in. It uses AI to generate unique black and white illustrations instantly. This was created by a dad named Josh. He is a self taught developer who initially made this tool for his own kids, but then he has expanded it to everyone. So you get ten free coloring pages that you can generate to try out the service and you can do whatever you want. You can type in. I tried this with all kinds of stuff and it's just fantastic.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: The website is dad Can't Draw dot com and it is a fantastic website that helps you create custom coloring book pages instantly. So if you're hanging out with the kids this weekend and you want them to make you a picture, Just say whatever you want and the AI will create that illustration. You print it out, the kids can color it in and you can get as creative as you want. This is a game changer. So again the website, Dad can't draw dot com. And by the way, grown up in New Jersey, a draw draw. That's what you pulled out of a chest. That I literally grew up my entire childhood thinking what you pulled out of a chest was called a draw And it was only when I came to California that I learned it was called a drawer. There are some extra letters in there, so I have come a long way. I know I say things a little weird. I know I pronounced button and a lot of.
Speaker 2: Things very strangely.
Speaker 1: But if you heard me before I went to college, I you, yeah, I said some things really really weird, like Oregon that thank you? Oregon was Oregon?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Coffee was coffee? Water was uh water?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It goes on and on one. All right, let's go to Olivia in Huntington Beach, California.
Speaker 2: Olivia. You're on with Rich?
Speaker 18: Hi Rich?
Speaker 12: How are you?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 15: Thank you.
Speaker 12: So my question is I have two work from home jobs.
Speaker 18: So each job requires two monitors, So I have four monitors total with two keyboards and two mouths. How do I seamlessly transition to just using one keyboard and a mouse for all.
Speaker 1: Four What kind of job are you doing? Are you like mission controler you're landing stuff on the or what?
Speaker 12: No, just a one full time gig and like a freelancer on call kind of thing for the second launch. But sometimes it kind of overlaps my hours. Okay, I'm always going back and forth between the two keyboards and sometimes I'm like, oh, shoot, this is not the like.
Speaker 7: One and all that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a couple of ways you can do this. There is a device called a KVM switch.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of that?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, keyboard video mouse, that's what it stands for. KVM switch, So you can you can get one of those. That's a physical switch that you would connect one mouse and keyboard to multiple computers.
Speaker 2: So look it up.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of articles on picking the best one, but that's one way of handling it. It's a switch that you know, it's kind of like anything else. It's just a switch. You put a bunch of the stuff into the back of it and then it streamlines it into the rest of it. So that is one way of doing it. There's also some software programs that you can use. So now I've not tested this, but it there's one for Microsoft Garage called Mouse without Borders and uh, and that's one that you can download and try. And this is this is quite old, but you know, I don't think mice really have a lot of updates over the years, so it probably still works. Are these Windows or mac computers?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 12: Both Windows?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this one will probably work Mouse without Borders. That's probably only going to take care of the mouse though, So I think that you want to uh that you probably want something a little more powerful. So there is a shareware app called sharemouse dot com share mouse dot com and this software lets you control multiple computers from a single mouse and keyboard. So pretty pretty simple. And it kind of is like a KVM, except it is more software based.
Speaker 2: So those are.
Speaker 1: The recommendations I have for you, Olivia. I will link them up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv just hit the light bulb icon. But two review if you want to connect you know, a couple different computers to one keyboard and mouse, you can use what's called a KVM so that is a KVM switch.
Speaker 2: You can do that.
Speaker 1: You can try the app called Microsoft Garage Mouse without Borders, but that's just for the mouse. Or there is a shareware called share mouse or right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's shareware. I think you actually you might have to pay for this.
Speaker 1: Let's see demo version allows you to try all features for thirty minutes, and then you'll have to pay. And let's see how much is the license. I don't see the price, but I'm sure it's reasonable. So and if you've got a couple jobs, you should be able to afford it. Olivia, you're killing it. You're doing you're doing great lots of jobs managing all those computers that that takes a lot.
Speaker 2: So thanks for doing that. Appreciate it all, right.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four to one zero one. Let's go to hol and see me Valley. I'm sorry I can't do that. How what's up?
Speaker 19: Hello, Hi, Hi there, I'm so happy to speak with you. Here's the problem. For years, I've utilized information from a California governmental entity website. The site includes public access detailed information. When I was able to use Internet Explorer, I was able to copy the information and paste into a word document while retaining the information format. Then Internet Explorer was replaced by Microsoft Edge after the end of use state for Explorer. When I copied and pasted, I would lose the right twenty five percent of the formatted information. Still able to copy and paste text only and keep all the info.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry say that last part.
Speaker 19: Again, I was still able to copy and paste the text only and keep all of the information. I couldn't do that with the formatted text. And I tried using Chrome as a default browser or Edge is a default browser. Didn't make any difference. Multiple times I've tried to contact to buy email the governmental entity to determine of a problem was at their end, and I've never received the respond What.
Speaker 1: You've never received a response from a government organization.
Speaker 19: Believe me, it's it's not unusual with this governmentality at all. I believe them namelessly.
Speaker 1: Okay, song story short, you are trying to copy and paste this information. It used to copying format in a correct format that that was. You know, whether you pasted it, it would it would just look the same as it did on the website. Now it no longer looks that way.
Speaker 19: Also edited, and this went on for years until Internet Explorer disappeared.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a couple of things.
Speaker 1: So are you're trying to preserve Let's say the font is in bold, you're trying to keep that bold. And maybe it's in bullet point format, you're trying to keep all that right.
Speaker 19: It was essentially rows and columns, wow information, and I could completely edit it. Oh, I can choose part of it, just like any any text in any word doctor.
Speaker 2: And the trouble.
Speaker 19: The trouble is I do reports and recommendations to third parties, and they preferred the formatted information rather than the straight text, of course, and I met a loss to figure it out. I tried copying and pasting as a PDF, which retains all the format and information. But then I was the capacity to simply edit and incorporate into my reports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, okay, So hmmm, uh, I'm sure there is a solution to this. Off the top of my head, I don't have one, but there is something you might be able to do. So what what web browser are you using right now?
Speaker 19: Right now? Chrum?
Speaker 2: I tried.
Speaker 19: I tried microceft edge, figuring it was proprietary, but it didn't make any difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm wondering if if this. I'm wondering if this is like in like a markdown format or some interesting because there might be there's a Okay, what if you go into a document like a Google doc and you try pasting it into their same thing happened? Like does it happen no matter where you paste it into.
Speaker 19: Yeah, no matter what I do, you cannot paste with the with the formatting of information without losing the right approximate twenty five percent of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So here's I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I want you to email me because I want to check this out, Like, email me the exact website that you're trying to copy from. I'm going to take a look and see the only thing I can think of the there's a couple like solutions. There might be a Chrome extension that would that you can install that would preserve the formatting. So I would start with just searching like Chrome extension preserve formatting and maybe even throw in the term table in there. Right, so that you might get for a Chrome extension that can help you preserve that formatting across a copy and paste.
Speaker 2: That's the number one thing I would do. Number two.
Speaker 1: You might, I mean, obviously there's like that whole you know, copy and paste, preserve formatting inside the document. There may be some options to preserve the formatting. I know there is on Google Docs where it will preserve some of like the modes that like I just had it the other day and I'm trying to find it again. Yeah, see this, it's under preferences automatically detect markdown, automatically detect links, so it might do. That might be an option too. In word, there might be a thing you could toggle there. The other thing you could do is you might just use AI. So you might just throw this data into chat GBT and say, here's the columns I have. Can you format this into a table and then copy and paste it from there? So those are a couple of options, how but I don't have a standard solution off the top of my head, like I said, but hopefully maybe just by mentioning it on this show, we'll get someone that's listening that says, oh, I know exactly, how to do that, and they will email me that information. But I also want you to email me the website and the issue so that I can test myself and see what's going on here, because copying paste is not a it's not necessarily a standardized thing, especially with mark down, especially with formatting, especially with different programs out there, they all do things slightly differently. Thanks for the call, do appreciate it. Rich on Tech dot tv is the website. Hit contact, send me that email. Coming up, we will talk about Yahoo mail getting a modern makeover and how you can now renew your passport online might save you some time waiting in line.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech eight to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. There you can see my tea TV segments. You can sign up for my newsletter.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Let's see how many of her you are signed up for the newsletter, which I do appreciate. I send it out typically Friday or Saturday. There you go, twenty three nine hundred of you getting that, So thank you for doing that.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I put a lot of time into writing that, so it's kind of a mix of all the stuff I think you should know. You can watch my TV segments. Just a great way to keep up with me, especially if you don't necessarily go on social media a lot. It's just an easy way to get all this stuff I talk about direct to your inbox.
Speaker 2: Just go to Rich on tech dot TV hit sign up to get that.
Speaker 1: Looks like Jay in Lancaster has a solution for our friend Olivia who needed to connect to multiple computers to one mouse and keyboard.
Speaker 2: Jay, welcome to the show. Yeah right, Rich, Hi, what do you have to add?
Speaker 7: So I'm running five monitors off of three different computers, what do you do? And one keyboard?
Speaker 1: Are you sending people to Mars? What's happening there at the Jay household?
Speaker 11: Its flight to MARSK. They have running cat on one monitor, okay, and then I'm running airport to manage software on the second computer and then the rest of myself on the third one.
Speaker 2: Nice Okay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a separate solution and I've had it running for about three years now.
Speaker 3: So what I have is a Logitech.
Speaker 7: M seven twenty mouse, okay, and it has a unifying receiver. So you buy the mouse, it comes with one of those receivers, just the USB dog that goes in the port right, and then you can buy a second, one third, one fourth one and put them in a different computers and uh, you know the backing. So I just get keyboard and you can run your mouse across INDU screen up and down across. Because I am stacked. I've got two by two and one on the end, so I can run them across uptown on the NU screen, I just pull them out across and that becomes active.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, that's that's the.
Speaker 3: And keyboard with it.
Speaker 2: It's the se So okay.
Speaker 7: The mouse is like I know, thirty five different receivers. I think are can or twelve or something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay. I believed that.
Speaker 7: They have any even newer mouse like mindspare four years old, so I think they have an NX Master. Is there maybe more advanced newer one?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm looking at them seven twenty. They call it the Triathlon because I guess it can control three. It's interesting. I so a couple of things. I bought a Logitech mouse couple of weeks ago. One of those stand up mice that like you know, helps with like ergonomics, and it does have the ability to connect to three different computers on the bottom, but on mine, I don't know what the deal is, but every time, every so often, it just disconnects from my computer, like I have to read Bluetooth it. So I got the kind without the dongle. I know, the dedicated dongle definitely makes the connection more stable over Bluetooth, but anyway, that's one side note. But the other thing is that Logitech ended up sending me a whole bunch of stuff to test out all of their latest stuff, so I guess I'll have more knowledge about this stuff very soon. But Jay, thanks for the suggestion. I'll put it in the show notes. That seems like an easy suggestion. And I'm looking at the bottom and again it's got the bottom of the page on the Triathlon mouse has the K seven to eighty multi device wireless keyboard as well, one keyboard fully equipped for computer, phone, and tablet. That's interesting, so I think I don't know if they sent that one, but yeah, lots of solutions, and I guess our next guest will actually have some solutions too.
Speaker 2: Matthew S Smith is coming up.
Speaker 1: He's going to talk about what to look for when buying a computer monitor. You won't want to miss that conversation that's coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show richontech dot TV. Joining me now is Matthew S. Smith, a free lance tech journalist who has written about consumer tech for PC World, Reviewed, PC Mag, and many other places. And this is my favorite part. We share a similar naming identity his website Matt on tech dot me. I love it, Matt on tech dot me. Matt, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 15: Thanks very much for having me on.
Speaker 2: I love that we both use the same naming mind.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's nice to meet a fellow on tech person.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll start a trend. So let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: You wrote a great article for Advisorator, one of my favorite newsletters that I subscribe to. You talked about how to buy a monitor. And I know during the pandemic probably a lot of people set up their offices and things like that, but this is still something that you know, with work from home, people are still doing, and there's a lot of monitors out there, So let's let's start with kind of just give me the the overall kind of like when you're looking for a monitor, you know, what are you looking for?
Speaker 7: Do you?
Speaker 2: Let's start with screen size. I guess okay, starting.
Speaker 15: With screen size, my general recommendation is to do a twenty seven inch monitor because it is a very common size and it is a readily available it'll fit on most desks. Also, if you want to upgrade in the future and do say a dual monitor setup to twenty seven inch, monitors will still be a reasonable size. Or if you decide to add a larger monitor in the future, like a thirty two inch or something like that, you can also do that twenty seven inch monitor next to it, or even in a portrait orientation where you flip it ninety degrees and kind of have a sort of more vertical space by your larger monitor. So it's just very versatile and again also very common, so they're typically not too expensive.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then you say thirty two for gaming, and then avoid twenty four inches unless your space is limited. What about the resolution, let's talk about resolution.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I recommend for most people to go four K resolution.
Speaker 2: It is more.
Speaker 15: Expensive than the basic ten ADP monitors, but four K is a very noticeable boost in sharpness, especially on a twenty seven inch or larger monitor, And it also sort of gives you a little future proofing. And I figure most monitors are going to be lasting a pretty long time. I don't think people tend to replace them very often, So it's best to try and get sort of at the top of the curve on features. And four K is definitely.
Speaker 1: That TENADP that's just going to look that's not going to look very good.
Speaker 2: Huh. And you're still noticing all day oh on.
Speaker 15: A twenty seven inch monitor, and if you go twenty four inches, even more passable, but you are going to notice a difference with four K it looks much sharper.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, the panel type, so, I mean probably a lot of people think, you know LED, that's like an LED screen, right, So but what types of panels should we be looking for?
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's where it gets really interesting because up until recently you didn't have a whole lot of meaningful choice, but now there are new O LED panels that are a premium panel type which have really good contrast and really good color. They are, however, quite expensive, but if you want a premium monitor or a really really nice image quality, that is one way to go. Another alternative is Mini LED, which is technically a backlight more than a panel type, but it provides really good HDR in most cases and tends to have a very clear, crisp image. Now that again is a premium option, So if you're looking for more affordable stuff, you're going to want to go with an IPS panel, which tends to have really good color performance. The contrast is not as good as some of those more premium options, but still tends to look quite good. And then another one of the VA panel, which tends to also have pretty decent contrast in color, but if you're doing gaming high end gaming, the motion clear sometimes not quite as good as similar IPS panels.
Speaker 1: Now, I know, the ultra wide screens are kind of like the new trend I see Mat Worsk. You know, we just talked about the Apple Vision Pro. They added an option for like a really cool like ultra wide screen and virtual reality, which is really neat. What do you recommend when it comes to the wide versus ultra wide?
Speaker 15: I'm a big fan of ultra wide monitors, and thirty four inch ultra wide monitors are not really that expensive. You can find decent ones at three the four hundred bucks on Amazon, and what you're going to get from that is basically I've run the numbers on it. I think it's about a twenty five to thirty percent increase in the amount of display real estate versus a twenty seven inch wide screen monitor, So you basically just get some more room bumped out to the side to multitask to put different windows up on your desktop, or if you want to play games, it's going to look more immersive. If you want to watch movies and they're in that twenty one by nine ass ratio or something similar, you're not going to have black bars at the bottom or on the sides. So there are a lot of advantages to that format and I really do recommend it. You can also if you want to spend some more money, you can go with a forty nine inch super ultra wide or something of that nature where you have a whole and in fact, I have one of those in front of you right now because I do to review a bit and you just to have this gigantic expanse of display in front of you, and that's a really nice option. They do tend to be expensive, expect to pay around one thousand dollars or more. However, for the amount of display space you get, it's not necessarily a bad value. You can compare it to say, two twenty seven inch monitors of similar quality.
Speaker 1: Well, now, taking the newfound knowledge you just taught me, I'm looking at Google thirty four inch ultra wide monitor LG two hundred and forty bucks with that IPS, which you just recommended, So that doesn't sound like a bad deal. I'm so embarrassed because I have a thirteen inch MacBook screen. I went from the sixteen inch, and I'm telling you is just that three inch difference makes a huge difference because I used to have stuff on the side, kind of like a messaging app on the side panel, like on you know, on the side of my screen, and now I miss like all like Kim is our call screener and she's been texting me the whole show, and I miss all of that because it's like behind all my windows.
Speaker 2: So I say, the benefit of.
Speaker 1: The more screen real estate that you can tuck little things into the corners like your music and your texting and all that stuff. So anyway, let's see what other considerations should we be thinking about when it comes to monitors.
Speaker 15: Well, one thing that I especially if you're looking at a more budget minded monitor, is to make sure that you get a ergonomic stand with the monitor. This is pretty common. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get it. But what I mean is you want to have height adjustment, tilt adjustment, and swibbl adjustment, and the height adjustment in particular is the thing that the really cheap, inexpensive monitors are going to not have, and that tends to be a problem because then when you put on your desk, unless you are just naturally the ideal hype for that monitor, that's where you get to the situation where you have to like start stacking up books or you need to go buy one of those fifty dollars sort of desk cutch things that sort of elevate your monitor. It's usually not ideal, and again you don't have to spend much more to get the stand. It's usually one hundred and fifty dollars. On up, you can start to find monitors that have it, so I really recommend looking for that. Another thing to lug out for is USB connectivity. Okay, a lot of monitors have USB connectivity. Some of them even now have USBC connectivity where you can plug in a laptop, which I think is what most people use these days. And if your laptop has USBC and that monitor has USBC and has something called power delivery, the monitor can charge the laptop, so you may not even need to plug it in to another external power source. Really cleans up on the wire, cut the wire clutter on your desk, right, It really makes everything a lot more seamless. Also just makes it easier to sit down and connect your laptop whenever you want to. And so that's definitely something to look out for if you know, if you're someone who doesn't like to have a lot of wires around your desk.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've got some specific recommendations. I'll link those up through the article Dell Asus, Phillips alienware. But just real quick, we've got about a minute left. External speakers and the webcam. Do I look for one that has the speakers in webcam built in or what?
Speaker 15: Right? I recommend skipping on that and the main reason. There's two reasons. One is I have reviewed some monitors that have these features. In general, I find they are not as good as when they are external, So it's kind of you'll probably have a webcam that's not as good as it could be, speakers that are not as good as it could be. And then also the price difference. I find that for the amount that you spend extra on the monitor to get those features, you could easily buy a better set of external speakers in webcam. So generally it's better to keep them separate. Also, if when goes bad for some reason, you can just replace it. Only reason I would recommend doing that having them integrate is again, if you just really hate wire clutter on your desk and you want the most seamless setup possible, then maybe it could make sense, But otherwise I probably wouldn't go that direction.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna leave it there. Matthew S. Smith, freelance tech journalist. The website matt on tech dot me dot me matt on tech dot me.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: I learned a lot, so I'm sure someone else did as well.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I hope everyone is ready to go buy their monitor now.
Speaker 1: I know you got me excited. Thanks so much for joining me on the show today. Really appreciate it. Now I need that ultra wide thirty four inch IPS monitor.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. I will never miss a message Trump Kim again, I mark my words. All right?
Speaker 1: Coming up, we are going to do the feedback segment. That is where we will talk about your comments and your questions email to me right here on the show.
Speaker 2: My name is richdmiro. You are listening to Rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a few more stories before we get to the feedback segment. First off, Yahoo email is getting a modern makeover with you guessed it AI powered features. Everything is getting a dose of AI.
Speaker 2: This actually looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: This is their most significant update to their email on the desktop in nearly a decade. Why did it take you so long? Yahoo Email? I think this company's bounced around a little bit. But the new design is clean, it's more intuitive. It's got this new priority inbox tab which automatically highlights your most important messages, and it's kind of neat. It provides AI generated summaries of your messages. So if someone sends you a super long message and it's got like ten questions in there, that you're supposed to answer, but they're all kind of mixed in between things. It will pull those out and say like, here's the things you need to answer from this email, So that's really smart. They've also got these things where you can take action on your email. So if there's like a packaged tracking number that's in there, or something you can add to your calendar, it creates a button that you can just press and put that in your calendar or track that package. There is a starred view. This is something that Gmail has had forever. But now you can start your most important emails and you can look at them later, and you can link other email accounts. So I guess Yahoo thinks their system is so good now you might want to use it for other email accounts like an Outlook account or a Gmail account. You can put those in there as well, and I think that means you can have multiple emails in one place as well. The new desktop experience coming to all new US users instantly. Existing users will be able to opt in over the coming months. Interesting move there, but there you go. And then if you need to renew your passport, you can do it online. The State Department has relaunched their online passport renewal service. This is limited, it's in beta, but you can do this so a limited number of travelers who meet certain criteria can renew or submit their passport for renewal daily.
Speaker 2: The system opens.
Speaker 1: Up at ten am Eastern, which I think is one pm Pacific every day for a couple of people to be able to submit their information. It's open to residents twenty five and older who already have a passport that's been a ten year passport. You cannot change any of your personal information, you can't be traveling internationally for at least at least eight weeks, and you can only apply for a regular passport.
Speaker 2: This was first announced in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: It was paused in twenty twenty three for improvements, and it sounds like the state Department has gotten back from their backlog from the pandemic. So routine applications now take six to eight weeks. Expedited services take two to three weeks. I know we got our kids passports renewed. It did take about the peak time of like eight weeks, but it did work all right. Let's get to the feedback. That's your feedback plus the mail bag. These are the emails, the comments, and the questions I get from you.
Speaker 2: If you want to submit yours, just go to the website.
Speaker 1: Rich on tech dot tv hit contact got an email that's asking about this DJI drone ban, and this was news to me. I didn't realize that there was a bill percolating about these drones. Inside this bill, there's a small part that stops the drone company out of China from using certain radio frequencies. This would make it hard for DGI to sell new drones in the US, and could even stop people from using the DJI drones they already own. Nothing has changed as of right now, so don't be alarmed. You can still use your DGI drone, which is all I mean. They're noticed some of the best drones out there. The bill needs to pass the Senate and then be signed by the President before it becomes law. If it does become a law, DJI and even the public might try to challenge it in court because those drones are very popular, and it's surprising to me that they are trying to ban those.
Speaker 2: But we've seen that happen before. Let's see.
Speaker 1: Mary writes in Rich, would you be able to research watches that monitor blood sugar. I would really appreciate it. It would help a lot of folks with diabetes. Thank you, Mary, one of your fans. Mary, there is no smart watch that can directly monitor blood sugar levels. The FDA has issued a safety communication advising against using any smart watch or smart wing, smart ring to measure blood glucose levels. However, if you get that dex Com G seven last week, I mentioned that it does directly connect to the Apple Watch, so that's your best bet right now. But there's an FDA warning that says do not buy a watch or ring that says it can monitor your blood glue close directly.
Speaker 2: It cannot do that.
Speaker 1: There is no technology right now that's been approved in a big way that can do that. It might exist, but right now I know a lot of companies are working on that because that's kind of the holy grail for people living with diabetes. Thanks for the question, Mary Nora writes in I've been watching you on Channel five for a long time.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the information.
Speaker 1: Not too long ago you mentioned a kid smart watch that doesn't need an iPhone for it to work.
Speaker 2: I want to get one for my grandson. He's only ten.
Speaker 1: He doesn't need a phone, it'd be nice for us to communicate with him. Thanks for your response. Yes you want the fitbit ace lte. My kid has been testing it. We absolutely love this. I think Google nailed it. The thing to know is that it does not get assigned a traditional phone number. Anyone who wants to communicate with this device you can add up to twenty people. I believe has to communicate through an app, but it does have its own cellular connection and it works really well. My kid absolutely loves it. So fitbit ace lte. It's two hundred thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: David from Chicago rights in. Hey, Rich, I enjoy your show. You're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: I listened to get the latest tech vibe for my podcast in Touch with iOS.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go. You just got a plug for your podcast.
Speaker 1: I've been using Credit Karma to monitor my credit report for years. It's free. It includes TransUnion and Equifax. I also use the Experience app, which lets you check that report for free. Both services send emails with any updates. Yes, Credit Karma, that's what Mint is, that's what's replacing Mint. I think they sell you. They try to sell you a lot of stuff, so just be careful with that one. I like my wallet hub. I don't think they try to sell you as much. Let's see here we got two more. These are compliments. Howard from Westlake Village rights in. I do appreciate your radio program and find you present a great deal of practical info. My wife had a problem with her computer and one of your callers had the same problem, which you solved. I took his solution and became in quotes King four a day. Thank you for what you do, Howard Howard, that makes my day. Frank from Hemmett writes in just a little thought, it's so ironic how I watch you. I started to watch you on KTLA five on TV. I'm watching on TV from an antenna. Now I find myself listening to your radio show on six forty I and AM radio station. Both of these are ancient tech and I'm learning about the latest tech through them. It goes to show that although there are better ways of doing things, you don't disregard the rest. Thank you for the entertainment and information your passion for tech shines through double made my day. Frank from Hemmett, thanks for that comment. That's gonna do it for this episode. You can find everything I talk about on the website Rich on tech dot TV. Thanks for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to Adam for filling in today for Bobo Kim on phones.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Demiro. I'll talk to you real soon.