Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max.
Speaker 2: You can also watch the.
Speaker 1: Video version of the history of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. So, Hi Jeff, we're back.
Speaker 3: Hi Susie, we are back.
Speaker 1: And we're on season four, episode nine, The Survivor, Yes.
Speaker 3: Which is probably one of our top ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: People mention this to me still now. Back then it was maybe our most popular episode up until then, because people constantly were talking about that episode for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: And I think even though it's a great episode, I think more than the actual episode itself, it's the conceit of the episode. Hich is so with the you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I completely agree with you. But people to this day come up to me and say that's their favorite episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we start out Larry is at the dry cleaner, Yes, and the woman behind the counter is Gina Gershan. Well, he's thanking you. Oh my god, what the hell are you doing? Get out here? You are such a smock. Can't you do anything?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Is it? So hard to keep this with that, cos.
Speaker 2: How did Gina Gershan get this part?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Okay, So aren't you friends with her?
Speaker 2: You were friends with her?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: I hosted what I think is the first. I'm pretty sure I was a roast master of the very first Comedy.
Speaker 1: Central roast was that the Dennis Leary Rose. Dennis Leary Rose, I remember that.
Speaker 3: And she did like a song song.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So that's how I met her, and she was very nice and all this and that. So when we were looking for some and for that part, the Hasidic woman who is beautiful and sexy, she came to mind. I called her and I said, would you like to be on the show? I think you'd be perfect, and we're all talking about it and everybody really wants you, and she said, i'll let you know tomorrow. And the reason being is she didn't know the show. You've never watched it, never heard of it. She called Dennis Larry, you know, and said, what about the show? He said, I have to do it, you know, the way he talks about you gotta do it, you gotta do it. And so she did it, and that episode is how we became very close.
Speaker 1: I created you you were acquaintances with her before that aquaint prior to and I knew that you were friends with her, but that came after the fact.
Speaker 3: Yes, because of this episode we became tight.
Speaker 1: And may I just say she was absolutely terrific in this episode one another episode two she did. She did, but it was one of the castings where you know, in retrospect, you couldn't imagine any other person, no other person.
Speaker 3: And I wish we could have had her on more.
Speaker 2: I love her, you know, well it was a limited limited part.
Speaker 3: Well she did do another episode she did, she did.
Speaker 1: So she's yelling at her husband Shlomo, you know, in a very Jewish with an accent, you know, a foreign accent.
Speaker 3: She's got hold on though it may have been a foreign accent, but it was a made up no no, but but no, no, it's not that. It's just that that is a tone that every man who's married to a Jewish woman knows. And even though I tell people you're nothing like your character, you have to have moments like that. You just do.
Speaker 1: It's built yeah, no, it's.
Speaker 3: Built into your DNA. Every Jewish woman has that side where you go, oh, okay, okay, okay. And so the guy who was cast.
Speaker 1: As her husband is such a schlipper.
Speaker 3: He looks like at I think to myself, well, this had to be pre arranged because it makes no sense.
Speaker 1: What the casting of him, no, her calling him shlomo, no, the.
Speaker 3: Fact that he was married to her.
Speaker 1: He's such a slo Okay, he's such a shlomo. And let me just say, I have gone In my family, we call it going Susie Green on somebody, and I have gone Susie Green on every one of my children at one point when they were teenagers, and at my husband at least once a year.
Speaker 2: But that's about it.
Speaker 3: I got to be because that's not you.
Speaker 2: No, But everybody has an anger threshold.
Speaker 3: Larry hates when I tell people he's nice. I know, and I don't know how. You're probably like it that I tell people you're one of my closest friends.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, because who wants to be that shrewish character? I mean, I love playing it, but who wants to be it? So here is Anna is her name, and she's screaming at with the babushka and the accent, and Larry's looking puzzled and she starts to flirt with him, you know, in this very very kind of way. Larry looking at him and he needs to clean the suit, he tells her because he's renewing his vows ten years married, and she says them, you're pretty fit, Larry, You're very fit, you know. And I love how she flirts with him, because it's there's no sign at all.
Speaker 3: There's someone who has been doing that to me. Yes, I'm in a very I love my Sari, my girlfriend, but there's a woman lately who has been It's somewhere where I go on a regular basis, and she does that to me, tells me how good I look, how nice I look? That day? She said how fit I look? And I began as it started being completely ignorant too, because I assume no one ever looks at me that way. But it's become very apparent. So is it very unusual for me?
Speaker 2: So does she wear a babushka?
Speaker 3: No? Okay, I almost sound disappointed, but nonetheless no.
Speaker 1: So Anna continues to flirt with Larry. He's very fit, blah blah, and she says he'll have it for him tomorrow, and he asks for his ticket. Shere's no need for a ticket. I know you he's special. She's not going to forget him, and he doesn't need a ticket. Then he goes into the Rabbi's office, and that's played by Barry Gordon.
Speaker 3: Yes, who, by the way, was a child.
Speaker 1: Actor I know in a thousand clowns.
Speaker 3: Jason Robards, right, and I didn't what got when the Academy Award for that Barbara Harris, Yes, I think she won the Academy Award for that.
Speaker 1: Terrific acsupporting actor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, actually, to me, a Hall of Famer, speaking of improvisers, a Hall of fame.
Speaker 1: Improtory, she was a second city. But I love Jeff how there's the Kofax Jersey, you know, hanging up in the Rabbi's office because of course the rabbi has the only you know, famous Jewish baseball player. Oh not the only I know, Greenbergen.
Speaker 3: Is the only other one that reached a level of sand. They were both great players.
Speaker 1: I love that that's on the wall. I just found that a nice little touch.
Speaker 3: By the way, Larry has never been excited when I've told him different famous people who told me they love the show, until I told him Sandy Kofax, of course, and then he lost his mind, which I initially did when I heard it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what that is, because I mean, I think that sports stars and rock stars are in a very different category than actors being impressed.
Speaker 3: Because there are peers like I know, Brad Pitt loves the show, he.
Speaker 1: Told me, and that's lovely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but by the way, yes he told me no, but it's not it's like Brad Pitt. I love Brad Pitt as a person and an actor. But that being said, and for the record, I'm not close with Brad Pitt like I am Gina Gershan. I don't want to make it out like Brad Bit and I.
Speaker 1: Are having How about Angelina? Are you close with Angelina?
Speaker 3: I don't know her. Okay, I made out with her at a party, but I don't really know her.
Speaker 2: Well, that's Deviger.
Speaker 1: So he Larry walks in singing some Hebrew that he has no idea what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, if I may at the beginning, the first few words are.
Speaker 1: Very actively real.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then but I think I forgot what orthodox Jews call us secular Jews. I think that most secular Jews, which aren't religious but are Jewish and are happy being Jewish even though we're neurotic. We all fall into that category. Like I only know Dianu die Diano, you know, that's all I know.
Speaker 1: Muzzle tough and Simon tough, and Simon tough and muzzle tough.
Speaker 3: Okay, but yeah, those are the ones where I know the mazle tough. I would never remember Simon tough.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: And I'm way less religious than you.
Speaker 3: Either, I know, and I'm not just at all. So that's saying something. All right, go ahead.
Speaker 1: So Larry sees a picture of a guy on the rabbi's desk and I think he said it was Eddie Silverman. I didn't catch the name, but I think he said Eddie Suliman. And it's the rabbi's brother in law. And he died in nine to eleven. That's Eddie Silverman.
Speaker 3: It's my brother in law. He yeah, he died on September eleventh. Oh my gosh. Oh I'm so sorry. Yeah, terrible. He was in the building. No, no, he was uptown on fifty seventh Street. He got hit by a bike messenger. It's awful uptown. Yeah, yeah, bike messenger. Let me just say something here. Larry's imagination always catches me off guard because remember, I'm watching this for the since it's aired the first time. Yeah, and when I see that premise being thrown out, and of course it's one of those things that will come back to yeah, you know, of course, you know, he lays down the thing, who the hell thinks of someone dying on nine to eleven in uptown New York? And actually that's midtown that the guy says, but nonetheless.
Speaker 2: Well uptown from the towers.
Speaker 3: So both up down from the towers. But yeah, midtown. It's just so funny. By the way, explain to the people where you are.
Speaker 1: I am now in the iHeart studio on West fifty fifth Street, and the bike accident occurred on West fifty seventh Street, two blocks north of two Black It's away, yes, yes, And then we get that information, and as we know, because we know the show, we know it's going to come back in some way. And Larry then asked the rabbi about Cheryl giving him the pass. He feels troubled by it, and he feels almost as though she's challenging him, which she clearly is because she doesn't believe for a second.
Speaker 2: That he's going to get laid.
Speaker 1: The only one who believes it is you.
Speaker 3: But by the way, how about how great Barry Gordon is.
Speaker 1: Terrific, terrific, He's completely believable. As the rabbi, Yes, and Larry says, it's the only opportunity I'm going to get for the rest of my life, to ever have sex with anyone for the rest of my life. And the Rabbi tells him the story of Abraham and Sarah, and Sarah was barren, and Sarah said to Abraham, go to Hagar, have relations whatever you want, get laid, do whatever you want. So Abraham set the precedent and.
Speaker 3: Okay, help her hold on the second here, there's no way that Larry David knew that story. No way I'd go to Vegas and bet everything I know. So Barry Gordon had to have.
Speaker 1: Improvised, improvised with knowledge probably.
Speaker 3: Or it was completely made up. It sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: I think it's true. I think it's true.
Speaker 3: But still that's not something that would have been in the outline. That's unless Larry had Laura do research on it. But nonetheless, I think that's something Barry Gordon improvised in that moment.
Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately he's not on the show, but I would love to ask him that. And the Rabbi says accepted in the sense of anerosity, and Larry he's thrilled with that. I'm not a bad person. He's thrilled with that. And we establish that the Rabbi is coming tomorrow night to his house for dinner, which is a pre dinner before the.
Speaker 2: Revowing. What does that call whatever?
Speaker 1: And the Rabbi says to Larry, I want to bring a friend over who's dying to meet you. He's a survivor, okay, And Larry's like, of course, of course, of course bring a survivor.
Speaker 2: Why would he not? And then we cut to Larry's home.
Speaker 1: He's working on his lines because he's three days is the or four day whatever? A week's soon the premiere opening night is soon and there's a hubub outside the bedroom and Becky and her parents are arguing. Cheryl's parents are arguing, and Cheryl enters has it going? And Larry tells Cheryl about the Rabbi bringing the survivor, and then he wonders should they invite his father, NAT's friend Sally who is also a survivor, to survivors like to see each other?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the classic line.
Speaker 2: Do they talk about old times?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the survivors.
Speaker 1: Like this ridiculous things. But again that's Larry, how is belcan bells? And as compared to Auschwitz? You know what do they talk about? So do they like to see each other talk about old times? Or does it depress them? And Cheryl thinks that that he should be invited so and she says, how are your vows coming along?
Speaker 2: And Cheryl starts to read some of her vows. So this is what I have so far.
Speaker 5: May I always have the wisdom to look past your shortcomings and appreciate all of the goodness you possess. We promise to continue loving each other unconditionally, not only throughout this lifetime, but after death, through all eternity. We stand before you.
Speaker 1: What was that about a tournament?
Speaker 5: We we love each other throughout this lifetime, but after death, through all eternity.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is this is continuing into the afterlife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 3: Idea for all eternity. Wasn't in my plans.
Speaker 2: Wasn't in my plan?
Speaker 3: And I had a plan for eternity.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I agree with Larry on this one. H I think till death do us part is enough. Yeah, it is obviously all eternity, but time.
Speaker 3: Okay, but let's also establish this as any that's what that's what's important to her. You do it, that's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's no such thing as eternity, And Larry says, oh yeah. Larry says, I guess I had a different plan for eternity. I thought I'd be single in eternity. And he's like, can we can we take out the eternity a part in Cheryl's no, no, you're.
Speaker 3: Doing Cheryl doesn't say it like you.
Speaker 2: Well, she was very sure.
Speaker 1: She was very sure.
Speaker 3: That's the way you said no sounded like Susie Green.
Speaker 1: Okay, So she says, no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's better, that's much better. Okay, keep going.
Speaker 1: Then they're getting dressed for the dinner party and Larry's in a lovely tope soup suit.
Speaker 3: You say to you said, soup thought, have you had tope soup out of your air? One has a great tope soup top.
Speaker 2: They would.
Speaker 1: Only Californians know that we don't have that in New York, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, well, I'm just spreading the word of California.
Speaker 1: And the Rabbi is there with Colby at the dinner party. Who is a survivor? We find out from the TV show Survivor not by the way.
Speaker 3: No exaggeration. It's the only season of Survivor I have ever watched, was the one that he was on. I never seen. No, he's a lovely guy, lovely guy, and he was on the only season of Survivor that I've ever watched, And I had a million questions for him about what people thought of one another. You know, what was this like? What was that like? And I think I've told the Jeff Probe story on here before. If I haven't, we were both. He was guest hosting on Regi's and Kelly and you know, Regis wasn't wait who was he?
Speaker 1: He was he was a survivor, he was a Survivor winner or something.
Speaker 3: No, he's the host of Survivor Joe oh okay all these years and also a very nice guy. Early on, we're talking we're staying at the same hotel, and on the air he mentions not only that we're staying at the same hotel, but what hotel we're staying.
Speaker 1: At On the air, he says, in the air, and on the air, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, why did you do that? What were you thinking? And that's where I came up with the name I used to this day. No, obviously not at the front desk. The person would have to ask for this, and I changed it there. And it's been a delight because I don't know what it is how people find out where you're staying, but at least once or twice anywhere I go, someone will call the room just to see it's me.
Speaker 1: Could I guess the name? I bet you I could guess the name. I'm not going to say it now. Now, I'm not going to say it now.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's it could be one of two names.
Speaker 6: All right, all right, we'll be right back. Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: So he meets us Colby, who I didn't realize was actually on Survivor.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that he was in Australia. And then I love that.
Speaker 1: Colby says to him, ha's Jerry. It's like, that's the last thing Larry ever wants to hear. How's Jerry?
Speaker 3: You know? Well, by the way I get asked all the time. How's Larry? Yeah, where's Larry? Hey, Jeff. By the way, people use it as a joke, Hey Jeff, where's Larry? Yeah, if we would be And when we do go into the restaurant together, no one says a word.
Speaker 2: No, I know, they stare though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm saying we're all together at a restaurant.
Speaker 3: People are glued yes to every move, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Becky, Cheryl's sister is clearly starstruck by Colby and she goes running over and Larry then makes his way over to Nat and Sally, who was played by Alan Rich who was a terrific character actor for many many years. Yeah, many many years. And I actually looked him up and what I didn't know is he was an actor and then he kind of left and went to Wall Street and then he became an art dealer before he went back to acting.
Speaker 3: That's what we call a life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well Rodney Dangerfield painted houses.
Speaker 2: Well, no, he sold a lunuums sighting is what.
Speaker 3: Oh so he was a tin man.
Speaker 2: He was a tin man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I thought heys thought he painted.
Speaker 1: No, No, he was a sales Okay, my ex.
Speaker 3: Father in law, who I still love and I miss him. He passed away a few years ago. He was a tin man. He was a tin man, and my career had stalled so much. This before kerb and I was so despondent about.
Speaker 2: How she thought of going into the business.
Speaker 3: So I said, tomorlaw my exe. You know, I said, if something doesn't move the needle for me in the next year, I'm going to go into business with your dad, which would have made him very happy and something I got to deal with ABC and it's been groovy since then.
Speaker 1: You know what, I had this discussion with somebody the other day because we were talking about the strike, and at what point does one say this isn't working out in this business. It's a little different for us because we were stand up so we could always go out and make it well.
Speaker 3: By the way. That's what I'm doing now. But you know, when I'm resenting actors now going into stand up, I know there's a desperation. Yeah, but the minute the strike's over, they'll lose interest because it's too hard.
Speaker 1: But as stand ups, that was the thing that attracted me to stand up in the first place, that you could always go make a living well.
Speaker 3: By the way, you know I'm a photographer. If people don't know that I am a serious photographer on the set, do you ever see me without my camera? It is constantly with me at all times. I put it under a couch cushion wherever in b between, and if I'm not on camera, I sit there and take pictures of the you know. Anyhow, the point being my dream Ultimately, unless something big happens television or movie wise, my dream is just to be a photographer and a stand up that That's all I do is is I'm a photographer, which I'll make a living off. And yes, I know I can do it now, but I haven't. You know, I'm giving it two or three more years. The same thing with this.
Speaker 2: To be an actor.
Speaker 1: To be an actor and sit around and wait for somebody to call you to give you a job is so so so difficult.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, the whole strike is so sad, but I couldn't be more impressed, especially the Writers Guild. Its Rider's Guild too. But the WGA has been on strike for so long.
Speaker 1: Let's hope by the time this airs it's over. By the time, yes, I pray it is. If it's not, the people are.
Speaker 3: They're so here's the thing. Their attitudes are high. Their real life has got to be low. And yeah, maybe they'll all want to be well.
Speaker 2: It's it's difficult to not make a liver.
Speaker 3: But they're holding up. It's so cool.
Speaker 2: I know they're just.
Speaker 1: I'm actually doing a little thing tonight for a benefit for writers.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do? Wear cotton?
Speaker 1: Yes, so I'm wearing cotton right now, darling. So Larry then invites Solly to the renewing of the vows, which is the next day, and Sally says, there's the other survivor, and he points to Colby.
Speaker 2: He said, he's from the.
Speaker 1: TV show The Survivor, And and let's also establish it Solly has a glass eye.
Speaker 3: Yes, by the way, that of course will come back.
Speaker 1: We'll come back because he doesn't have a glass eye for no reason.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then we're at the dinner table with Colby holding cord about how rough his life was in the Deadly Steaks. Look, I'm saying, I'm saying, we spent forty two days trying to survive. We had very little rations, no snacks.
Speaker 3: Snacks that your thun snacks. They didn't need. Sometimes far week for a month.
Speaker 1: They they ain't nothing. Then from Ian I couldnt even work out when I was over there. They certainly didn't have a gym.
Speaker 3: I weren't.
Speaker 1: I mean, war my sneakers out.
Speaker 3: And then the next thing you know, I've got a pair.
Speaker 1: Of foot flops. Flip flop. We slip on the ground on the dirt. Okay, one hundred and eighteen degrees during the day, ninety eight at night with ninety eight percent humidity.
Speaker 3: Forty five degrees below zeof did you guys have.
Speaker 1: A bathroom a bedroom?
Speaker 3: We didn't have. Yeah, twelve people at a time with the goal and shit, well, I'm sure you had toilet paper, We had newspaper, We had mosquitoes, dams. You see this glass?
Speaker 1: I have you even seen the show? Did you ever see our show? It was called the Holocaut And Sally is getting incense. I was in the concentration camp and Kolby says, well, we didn't have snacks. Snacks, we had no snacks. It's back and forth and back and forth.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the Colby guy couldn't have been more humble and kind like. He was not impressed.
Speaker 1: He had in real life. Yeah, in real life, for himself, but not on the show. On the show, he's supposed to be a little bit of an asshole. He's like, I couldn't work out, there was no gym. I woon't have to wear flip flops. He's saying to a Holocaust survivor, you know I mean bedroom. We had no bedroom anyway, And he says to he says to Solly, did you ever see our show?
Speaker 2: And Solly says, did you ever see our show?
Speaker 1: It's called The Holocaust?
Speaker 3: By the way, that's the exchange of the scene, right, did you ever see our show? Did you ever see my show?
Speaker 1: It's called the And then I'm a survivor, I'm a survivor. I'm a survivor. Back and forth, and they get very Sally gets all famished, and he knocks over the gravy dish onto Larry's mass suit.
Speaker 3: That is wearing for the renewed the Valves.
Speaker 1: And then Julie, Cheryl's mother, who I don't know that she has a name in the show beside Cheryl's mother.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe we'll see it come up.
Speaker 1: I don't think Paul or Julie do. I think they're just Cheryl's parents. But Julie says, someone get a sponge. She's sitting there and says, someone get a sponge. And Larry says, why don't you get a sponge? And Cheryl just looks at him with a death look.
Speaker 3: But Larry is just that gravy. He's one hundred percent right. Why are you suggesting when you can go get a sponge? Ah, mother in.
Speaker 1: Liwe she's not an old lady, she's not infirmed. She could get up and get a sponge.
Speaker 3: Any friend of mine that is very close with their mother in law, I'm enamored. I can't believe it. Wow. I mean I worked. I got along with my mother in law very well, but let's just say it was a bit of a challenge. I rose to the occasion. But most people I know roll their eyes when you ask about a mother in law. And then you talk to people, Oh, I love my mother in law. She's the greatest thing ever, And I'm like, how wow are wow?
Speaker 2: Jimmy.
Speaker 1: My mother loved Jimmy, right. And she used to say to me, you love me. No, she didn't love me. She used to say, you got so lucky with that Jimmy. And I'd be like, how about how fucking lucky that Jimmy got with me? Ma, okay, how about how lucky? No, you got so But he was very kind to her. You know. She liked him because he would go over and hang her pictures and fix things and all that.
Speaker 2: But all right, So it's the next day.
Speaker 1: The Rabbi wants to start the ceremony by noon and Larry's suit is missing. He can't find his suit, and Cheryl says, well, why don't you go get it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, I know I'm wrong. Sorry, Cheryl went and picked up the dry cleaning and he's looking at the dry cleaning. His suit is not there because Anna didn't give him a ticket, so his suit is Schlowmo didn't give the suit to Cheryl with the rest of the dry cleaning because there was no ticket. And Larry's like, well, she didn't give him a ticket, and he says, but I see their van on Oh Campo all the time. Oh Campo was a block in Pacific Palisades, right, and maybe they'll open the store for me. And it's Shabist. Let's not forget their Hasidic and it is shabis. It's a Saturday. Larry shows up at their house on o campo. When he rings the bell and Anna comes. She's smoking a cigarette. Then she's got the schmatta on her head and she's lally again. She sees them, what are you doing here? And he's sorry to bother her on the sabbath and he wants to get the suit. How can I get there? He says, I'll take you on piggyback and all. And Shlomo is at shuol, so would you want to come in for a drink? She's very very following the sabbath, and he said, I can't.
Speaker 2: I'm renewing my vows ten long years.
Speaker 1: They get the suit and he leaves, and he passes by you at the trunk of your car. Trunk is open, and he tells you about Anna and that he has the Rabbi's blessing because he apparently made a date with Anna to be his anniversary gift. And you say to him, you need to get a sheet. And I come out in rollers looking very attractive, and I'm like Jeffery bags in the car and blah blah blah blah. And then you call me over and you ask me about the sheet.
Speaker 3: How do make love?
Speaker 1: What do you mean to make love?
Speaker 3: How do they do it with.
Speaker 1: The sheet you're talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they put a hole.
Speaker 1: In a sheet and through that kidding you didn't know that. It's not a myth. They cut a hole in the sheet, the man puts the penis in. They can't touch each other, Larry, it's a religious thing that they do. What do you guys talk about? This is what you talk about.
Speaker 3: It just came came up, came up.
Speaker 1: Help me with the bags, all right, And I was like, this is what you guys talk about. Fucking through a sheet. That's how the hot seeds have sex. They put a hole in the sheet. That's something we've always heard. Let's just tell our audience who might be true. I don't think it's true. I don't think it's true, but I've always heard that. I don't know there is an urban legend. Let's say that the hacidam have sex with there's a hole in the sheet for the penis. They don't touch each other, the man puts the hole in the sheet, and that's how they fuck up.
Speaker 2: That's what we've always heard. I don't think it's true.
Speaker 1: All right, call viewers right in and tell us right in.
Speaker 3: When what world do we live? In here. We get a lot of letters down at.
Speaker 1: The step whatever. So you tell him he better show up with the hole cut beforehand, you know. And then we're back at his house and Cheryl tells Larry that her mother is not coming to the renewal of the vows because she's upset about the sponge comment. So Larry goes to apologize to mom. He calls her mom and that the survivor confrontation made him flumixed. And even though you were right by the kitchen, and she says, you don't like me, and you know, he says, I'm a people person. Come on, and he says, come on, come on, let's go, and she starts laughing, and but he also has to say, and next time you'll get the sponge. Next time you'll get he can't let it go. He can't let it go.
Speaker 3: Classic. And but my favorite moment in that scene is him grabbing her nose, like squeezing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: No. God bless him for getting out of that one.
Speaker 1: And next they're all in the limo and Sally is in the limo, Salia, Nat and Cheryl's parents and Becky and Larry and Cheryl and Cheryl has a big glass of red wine that she's drinking, and the sun starts glaring into Solly's glass eye.
Speaker 2: You could see him. He's making weird hold.
Speaker 3: On, hold on the setup is also see I never really noticed that she was drinking wine. I didn't know, Yes, But Larry is obsessed the way he's shaking.
Speaker 1: The way Sally is shaking, the way.
Speaker 3: Sally is shaking. That's all Larry can stare at.
Speaker 1: What Sally is doing is not is He's doing a discinesia kind of a thing which happens to people for various reasons.
Speaker 3: And I also go on record, and I'm being humble with this. Never heard the word discinesia. And let me tell you something. It sounds like an island I go to off to.
Speaker 1: Discinesia is involuntary movement. It happens like my brother has it from Parkinson's disease. It's not the trembling of Parkinson's. It's you get the discinesia with Parkinson's from taking too much of the medication, and that's when you start to get this. It's involuntary movement. The sun starts glaring in Sally's eye and Solly thinks that Larry is making fun of him.
Speaker 2: Why because Larry's doing what Larry starts doing.
Speaker 1: Weirds around like like to block the sun.
Speaker 2: He's doing this to block the sun.
Speaker 3: What is he doing?
Speaker 1: He's making me?
Speaker 3: Why are you making me?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, the light from your glass eyes, it's reflecting on me.
Speaker 3: You're not making fun for me. No, no, no, I don't like this.
Speaker 1: Heel. I don't run any heel no, mom, hold it stop, the cat don't get and the car stops fast, and the red wine all over larry suit, all over Larry's suit, and then Sally gets out.
Speaker 3: Hold on, what does Sally say when he gets out?
Speaker 2: What I don't remember?
Speaker 3: He yells after the car got cocking off from yum?
Speaker 2: And what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Go take a shit in the oceans? And it's actually for Yiddish. It's like, that's the insult of being Yiddish. My grandma taught me that phrase, and I couldn't get enough of it. I sent it to everyone, including bullies at school, and they had no idea they and they were picking on me because I was Jewish too.
Speaker 1: So there's a lesson. When somebody's bullying, you speak Yiddish to them. It's disarming.
Speaker 3: Well, guy cocking off from Yum specifically, you know, but I feel bad for the swimmers in that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's never a good idea to take a shit.
Speaker 3: It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: It's it's not an insult that makes any sense because who are you harming?
Speaker 3: The other swimmers, the other people in the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you're not, if you're not at the beach, what's the it's an whatever.
Speaker 2: Schol Malacham knew what it meant.
Speaker 1: Then they're in the rabbi's office and the rabbi tells them we're going to do this and then I'm going to say a prayer and then we're gonna break a glass. And Paul Dooley says, is that when we yell a matsa tough.
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: Can't we just say yippie or hallelujah?
Speaker 3: But nippy yippie? I know that's Paul Dooley's improvising. Paul's a brilliant improviser.
Speaker 1: Now, I'll tell you a story that happened just a few days ago. My husband, who is not Jewish, mentions we were in our apartment building and he mentions he thought that a woman who was Jewish lived next door. And then he came and he said, I realized she doesn't live next door because there's not a medusa on the door. And I said what, I had no idea what he was talking about. He said a medusa. He was talking about a messusa, obviously, but he called it.
Speaker 3: Think of a medusa on a wall, like, Oh, no, he said a menusa.
Speaker 2: No, no, he said, he said a menusa. He said, there's not a minus on the wall.
Speaker 1: I thought the medusa for that same reason, but he said, this is not a manusa. I'm impressed that he knew what a manusa was to be a misusa was to begin with.
Speaker 3: By the way, my son, when he was my older boy, when he was a little boy, he used to call it the computer, a computer ger and I never corrected him.
Speaker 2: I figured computer and.
Speaker 3: He want him to stop, and he did find out on the.
Speaker 1: Zone, we'll be right back, stay tuned. Okay, we're back. And then the Rabbi says to Larry, isn't this something you could do about that stain.
Speaker 2: It's disrespectful.
Speaker 1: So already the Rabbi is a little you know.
Speaker 3: It's right in front of them with the bema. It's up on the bema. But what's right in front of the torah? What do they call that? Where you put it? Put the torah back in? I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's what he says.
Speaker 2: And then Julie.
Speaker 1: Says, excuse me, does anybody have a mint?
Speaker 4: I got a mint. It's in my pocket. Do you want me to hand it to you? It's loose, it's not in a package. What do you want to put your hand in my pocket and get it yourself? You got three options. You can do one of those two things, or you can refuse it.
Speaker 5: There you go, Cheryl, Honey, would you reach into Larry's pocket for an unwrapped mint?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: This is fine, thank you?
Speaker 1: A loose? And this is she's so off the wall at that character.
Speaker 3: You know, she's just so well A mint is And I'm sure this sounds like what Larry wrote this And this is so insane what this moment of the scene is to me. I don't know anyone who can imagine creating this scenario. I don't because there's nothing to do with the sponge. It's self contained and it's appearances.
Speaker 1: Because he has a loose, he has a loose mint in his pocket, but it's a loose mint, so he says it's a loose min.
Speaker 2: And then Julie asks Cheryl if she would no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, no no, but say the three things that Larry's offers. You have three choices. Oh, okay, you can take I can get it out for you. You can stick your hand in my pocket, my pocket out, or you can refuse it. So three choices, right, and then she looks at show shoe.
Speaker 1: Would you reach into is fourth choice?
Speaker 2: Fourth choice?
Speaker 1: Yes? And then they're all ready to do it, and Larry says, let's roll, to which the Rabbi gets very very insulted.
Speaker 3: That was the plane that went down in Pennsylvania. That's what they said. That's right, because they decided to attack the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know it's interesting because this is not going to air right now, but we are today. Is September twelfth, Yes, yes, it was September day after nine to eleven, which was twenty two years ago. And I think that people forget things like that, the let's roll and stuff like that because it was two years ago that one.
Speaker 3: Actually, I don't think people forget that. I think younger people have no.
Speaker 1: Idea, right, Yet, my kids don't all the.
Speaker 3: Things from September eleventh, not only where you were, Like when Kennedy was shot. I was alive then, but I was like a year and a half, so I really don't remember.
Speaker 2: I remember where I was.
Speaker 3: Where were you?
Speaker 2: I was in third grade. I was in third grade.
Speaker 1: Well, what I remember was I remember my teacher, Miss Costello, and the teacher next door, Miss Stenglass.
Speaker 3: Remember ironically, my teacher was Miss Abbot.
Speaker 2: Why is that ironic?
Speaker 1: Oh? Abbit?
Speaker 2: And Costello?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, God that was an easy one.
Speaker 1: And I remember Miss Steinnglass came in and she told Miss Costello. And I was sitting there and I knew by their body language something horrible had happened.
Speaker 2: Wow, something hard.
Speaker 1: I could just see their body language, and I just knew something horrible.
Speaker 2: And then they told us what happened. They sent us home.
Speaker 3: And what was your feeling as a little girl hearing that it was?
Speaker 2: You know, I think that it was you. You don't really understand what what do you mean? It was just incredulbing.
Speaker 1: And then of course we sat around and watched the whole thing on TV. I mean I remember John John at the you know, at the funeral, standing in his little outfit, and you know all of that, I mean every and Caroline was probably a year younger than me. I remember being very concerned about her, you know, because I connected to her. I didn't connect to the mother in any way. It was horrible. You felt it. You just felt, you felt your parents, you felt that.
Speaker 3: Even though I wasn't. I mean, I was very young. I became so obsessed with John Kennedy. Not about the theories of who shot him. That didn't interest me, but just Kennedy, what a mystery, what a great man. And I used to not making this up. It was a recurring dream that John Kennedy's coffin was in our addict.
Speaker 1: Oh, I hope that, I swear.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I had that dream so much, so many times. Really, I never dreamt that I went up there, but it was up there with did you James going?
Speaker 2: Did you ever go up to look?
Speaker 3: I don't think we even had an addict. Oh, okay, So by the way, nine to eleven though, that's the next time that I think everyone in especially the United States, remembers exactly where they were at, exactly how they felt. I remember being very angry. I was on a show then. We were doing Curb but I was I was in Chicago when it happened.
Speaker 2: We weren't shooting Kerb at that moment.
Speaker 3: No, But I actually got hired this. This is what I got hired to be on a show called What About Joan? And I remember on September eleventh, we had rehearsal, so I thought, for sure it's canceled. No, they had us come in and they made us rehearse. But the way they justified it is a moment of fucking silence before we rehearsed for everything that happened. And I thought, and by the way, right then and there, I was furious, and I was I thought, I'm going to go home. I'm going to go home, and it's like, this will mean nothing if I stand up for this, because it's a corporate decision, not any individual.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know where I was. I was an ann Arbor, Michigan. I was actually in my hotel room watching CNN when I saw the thing. But I was in ann Arbor, Michigan doing the Vagina monologues.
Speaker 3: By the way, do you have a friend who made more fun of you for doing that show? Than me.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I made so much fun of you with you.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: Because I thought, well, we actually come to it. Don't that already happened. That already happened the vagina mond Yes, it was in the episode with the incest episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're doing the vagina monologues. No, no, no, that's.
Speaker 3: Later on because I get Cheryl the job in the Vagina Monologues. But I gotta tell you, any right thinking man made fun of that show, just like the penis puppet show whatever that was called, where the guys performed puppets with their wieners. I forgot what that was.
Speaker 2: Well that's a little different.
Speaker 3: No, to do mon logs about your vagina.
Speaker 1: Not monologues about your vagina's monologues about female sexuality and being a woman in all different ways, not actually discussing my vagina.
Speaker 3: Well, no one ever saw it, no, of course not. I had no interest. It wasn't titillating for me.
Speaker 1: It was just it's not a titillating show. It's not a sexy show.
Speaker 3: Okay. The odds of me seeing the Vagina Monologues are the odds of me seeing cats. You know, it's just something that's just you know what.
Speaker 1: Jeff your luck.
Speaker 2: They're both closed. So Larry says.
Speaker 1: Larry says, all right, let's roll.
Speaker 3: What that's wrong? What did you say?
Speaker 1: What you know that my brother in law died on September eleventh?
Speaker 3: Dare you say something like that? With all due respect?
Speaker 4: Wasn't that just a coincidence?
Speaker 3: All right, we're all right.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do this.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that if you, if you, if you died uptown on nine to eleven, that it was that it was part of it.
Speaker 1: Let's roll, and the Rabbi gets very very upset, and he's like, my brother in law died in nine to eleven, How dare you say that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: My brother in law died, And Larry's like, but he died in town, doesn't uptown death. That's part of the tragedy. And you know, the rabbi then he doesn't want to do it. He doesn't want to renew the vows. He has a little if he hiss, he fit and Larry goes on quoting the Bible whatever cass whatever he's saying, there's some quote for the Bible, and.
Speaker 2: They end up doing it.
Speaker 1: The Rabbi calms down and they end up doing the vows, and then they're in You and I are in the audience watching, they're in the temple and Sharon.
Speaker 3: It was for anyone watching because I love giving locations. Uh, that was that temple that's on? That's on? Is it? Is it still? Sunset? Yeah? Sunset?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah. And Cheryl does her eternity line, and then it's Larry's turn and he's just drawing a blank and the Rabbi says, speak from the heart, and he's like, you know, things are pretty pretty, pretty good, and you know your devoted servant, and uh, you know you want me to open up a bridge table, I'll do whatever you want me to do, I'll do.
Speaker 2: And she makes all the plans. She's with all Larry's wives, make the plans.
Speaker 1: We know that I'll love.
Speaker 3: You, makes the plans.
Speaker 1: She gets us, keeps us very busy. I will love you until death, till the day I die, and we don't know what happens after death. And he's skirting the issue, skirting the issue, and Cheryl just is looking at him like waiting, waiting, waiting, and then he very wisely because he wants his marriage to be successful, adds eternity, and then Larry goes to step on the glass and as he's stepping on the glass, he also steps on the rabbi's hand and there's blood spilling all over. There's blood all over his pants, and Larry says, somebody get a sponge, and he indicates to Julie, but of course she doesn't move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and by the way, this episode, there are so many moments you can end the show.
Speaker 2: There was right there.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, there's so many outs.
Speaker 2: But there's a better out. Actually, I think that the out was really good on the show.
Speaker 1: And then they're at the We cut to there at the hotel and Anna opens the door in the robe. She's wearing a robe, and Larry h brings his suit for the dry cleaning. I mean, this is this is the mistakes that he makes as amazing. By the way, he's coming to have an assignation with the woman and he just isn't it easier for her to just take the dry cleaning?
Speaker 3: I have never heard assignation. Your vocabulary is remarkable. What's an assignation?
Speaker 1: A trist a trist okay? Yeah, all right, and she's not happy about the dry cleaning thing.
Speaker 2: You know, she's not happy about it. He's coming a fucker. Don't bring your fucking dry cleaning.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna schlep your dirty fucking clothes to the dry cleaner.
Speaker 3: She says. The way though, it was interesting because she's really let Larry know, but this is so insulting to her. Yeah, because she's would do anything for Larry, but this is crossing the line.
Speaker 1: Well, she says, in fuck or suit, fuck or suit.
Speaker 3: Okay. By the way, also when he uses the phrase killed two birds with one stone, yeah, as if he was actually picking up something from her and he thought, oh, I'll drop this off.
Speaker 1: It's insulting.
Speaker 3: It's insane, it's insane, it's getting laid.
Speaker 1: It's insensitive. And then she says, let's go, I don't have all day. And so Larry goes into the other room and he comes back out and he's got it wrapped.
Speaker 2: In a sheet.
Speaker 5: To get the sheet, let the start, who brings the sheet to the hotel?
Speaker 1: And what's it? There's a hole there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because as would you believe?
Speaker 6: That's stupid shit?
Speaker 1: What kind the fucking idiot are you? The linen store?
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, we didn't have that line early on when I suggest told me he should get a satin sheet.
Speaker 2: He goes, yes, yes, he says, the linen store.
Speaker 1: And then she says, then there's a hole in it, and he says, yeah, because you're a Hasidic. And then you know, she's like, we that's bullshit, we don't do that. And then we hear rumbles, we hear an earthquake, rumble, and then next thing we know, they're out in front.
Speaker 2: He's wrapped in the sheet, she's in the robe.
Speaker 1: And who happens to be there who was staying at the hotel but Colby, and he sees him. He's like, hey, Larry, we survived.
Speaker 2: That's the app That's a great out.
Speaker 3: I think it's a great episode. It actually is a great out.
Speaker 1: It's a great episode from.
Speaker 3: There's no fat on that episode.
Speaker 1: It is so and even though there's a lot of you know, all back stuff with with all that, it's it's a it's a it's very tight, very very tight.
Speaker 3: And by the way, like I said, and this is with Julie. There is it Julie the mother to.
Speaker 1: Play the action, Yeah, Julie with Julie.
Speaker 3: Those two moments could have easily been cut, both the I'm not going him apologizing could have been and the mint and the idea that those for everyone hears a little inside scoop, But it mostly happens to my character, which is and I'm not resentful of it. I just want to add that. But a lot of times my Comedy Gold or as you saw these two moments Comedy Gold cutting room floor because especially yeah, yeah, because we moved along. No, but it's also the season the arc. I already mentioned the scene. My favorite scene that's ever been cut from the show is late Larry and I sitting outside of the cemetery together.
Speaker 1: But just you know, I think when you have these these earlier episodes that are simpler in their construction, more of that stuff was left in. In the later episodes, the storylines get so complex that you don't have room for any of that stuff. Yeah, do you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I can also say as because I'm laughing hard at these and I love every season, but I was not a fan of it becoming more intricate and complex. And look, our outlines started out at seven to eight pages.
Speaker 2: And twelve fifteen.
Speaker 3: No, they were easily always.
Speaker 1: Fifteen yeah to twenty and so that's.
Speaker 3: A lot of meat. I mean they were shooting off I say they we were shooting an episode, and we were shooting a forty five minute episode. Yeah, and so lots of stuff got cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And now like this past season, season twelve, I remember reading the outlines and thinking, this is a fucking monster.
Speaker 2: How are we gonna shoot this?
Speaker 3: By the way, especially the last like three episodes mon especially number ten, which I think, by the way, everyone can look forward to that. But I think I think that's a masterful episode. And how Jis Schaeffer pulled that off. I have no idea I agree at all the levels to it. But you read it and you go, how are we going to do this? And we did it?
Speaker 1: And we did it was amazing. And I don't know when this is gonna air, if this air is before that or after that.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, I think this show started airing, because there's way past that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in October.
Speaker 3: We're set to open in January of twenty twenty four. But with the strike, and I know we're gonna have reshoots, I don't know that that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. I don't know yeah, And speaking of final episodes of a season, next week we are going to do episode ten, which was also a big episode, and we'll talk about it next week.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about.
Speaker 3: There's some inside scoop that I have galls, so one of my favorite moments of the season.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next week, See you next week. The history of Curb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.