Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, we'll talk to Jim Harball, the Chargers head coach chair Momentarily. Phone calls are always welcome. Niners handled the Jets thirty two to nineteen without Christian McCaffrey. Poll question from our one seat, and if we can clean that up as we head into hour two, phone calls are welcome. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner.
Speaker 3: We have up there the timing of the announcement of Christian McCaffrey's injury story or not a story?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: Fifty seven percent of the audience say that's a story. Yeah, I think so. With gambling fantasy, when you find out when did the Niners know? When did Jordan Mason know he was going to start? He said he was told Friday. Kyle Shanahan quickly said, nope, nobody told him it was going to be on Friday. So I don't know if this is anything the NFL cares about, but they got to be careful with transparency when it comes to situations like that. All right, our two poll question sort of populating this one right now, but the biggest Week one overreaction. Oh, Sam Darnold is back, okayh Deshaun Watson is a mess. Okay. The Bengals Ooh that was a tough loss. Well, now you got Kansas City coming up. Yeah, that's not ideal. Yes, we might be leaving some people off of that list. Are missing some people, so we'll figure that out. Today's Mercedes Benz Interview of the Day brought to you by Mercedes Benz. Mercedes spens as an suv for you, whether it's the stylish GLC, the compack GLA, the three row GLS so the gl GLS plugin hybrids. Visit nbusa dot com for special offers. We make way for Jim Harbaugher, Season Chargers head coach, who has it better than we do nobody. How about that we're getting a lot of mileage out of that. That story you told us when you and your brother and sister are walking what a mile to wherever and your dad made it seem like you got the greatest life in the world.
Speaker 4: They sure did. Then Uh it uh came out one day.
Speaker 5: We're living in Iowa City, Iowa, and uh we had a we had a dealer car but for some reason, that dealer car wasn't there that day, and uh, my dad said, no car today. Boys, we're walking. John, grab a basketball hundred with the right, then a hundred with the left. Jim, get a basketball hundred with the right, hundred with the left.
Speaker 4: We're walking. Who's gotta better than us? Nobody? Dead? Nobody? Uh?
Speaker 2: Now do you say that? If you say that to your team, do they They look at you and go, Okay, I don't know what this means, but you certainly seem enthusiastic about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, it's it's the uh, there's a couple of layers of it.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, the it's just a way of looking at something, right, I mean, who's got it better than us?
Speaker 4: Nobody? That's a perspective.
Speaker 5: And then it also has the layer of here there's there's of anchor weights of you know, sometimes you don't think you have it good or somebody else has got it better, but it's actually the thing that's that's uh, you know, making you overcome something that makes you better. For example, you know, I grew up, you know, as a kid wanting to be a major league shortstop, you know, until probor at the time, I was seventeen years old. I was I was destined and born to be Uh. But it turned out that you know, there was there was kids in the Dominican Republican who had it a lot better than I did. You know, they didn't have a field. They their their ball glove was a was a milk carton.
Speaker 4: Uh. So there was a lot of bad hops.
Speaker 5: Turned out that they had it better than I did because I had a glove and I had a had a decent field. And then it's the it's the it's the thing that I really say. My dad said to us as a family, and I thought what he was really saying when he said, you know who's got it better than us, you know, Jim and John, he was really telling us that, you know, he he was the lucky one to have, you know, to be a dad and have these you know, this family. And when we said nobody back then, what we were really saying was, you know, we loved it.
Speaker 4: We loved being in this family. So it's it's.
Speaker 5: Carried on, you know, from one generation to the next. And when I say it, I say it about my two I say it to my two great loves, my family at home, and my my family at work. You know, there's no coach that could could have it better and be coaching.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know this in this organization with these players and these coaches. And I said, when I say it to my kids, I say it the same way like I'm the luckiest dad there is.
Speaker 2: Tell me about you gave each of your players a work shirt with their name, the patch, the lightning bolt logo on there. So something an auto mechanic might wear. Why do you have the do you have the shirt there?
Speaker 4: Oh? I got it? Okay, a blue collar shirt right here?
Speaker 2: So it is blue collar like our gas station guy might wear something like that old school.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's interesting you mentioned that that. Uh yeah, obviously it's a some motivational shirt. It's uh, you know it honors and honors work, and that's that's the first layer of that. Then the second layer, you know, for me and and really everybody is I'm honoring the people in my life that did the did the dirty work, you know, and everybody's got it.
Speaker 4: You got it, I've got it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Some people goes back one generation to their parents, uh, or it goes back to their grandparents. Maybe they're great grandparents. Not very often. But there's somebody in your family, Dan, I know that, uh, you know did maybe did a job that they didn't love to do, but they did it to put a roof over were the family's head. And and uh in my case, that's that's uh my two grandparents, Joe Sappedie, that's my mom's dad. And uh, in fact, he he he went to work. He's had a full time job since he was in the sixth grade. He had to, uh, he had to leave the sixth grade and and go work for his family. Came over from Italy when he was four years old. And uh, in fact, he worked in a in a filling station. You know that that was that was his job. And then he became a he became a self taught mechanic and uh before before he was done, he got so good at being a mechanic that he was he was treating treat teaching mechanics at Cleveland Trade School. And he wore short shirt like this. He just exactly like this. I remember growing up and his said Joe on it. And my dad's dad, Bill Harbaugh, he was a braakman on a train. Uh, and he wore the wear the wore the same kind of shirt. And he said, Bill, Uh, and and he became an engineer. And but the bottom line was he got he got my he got my dad and his kids to college.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: My dad went to Bowling Green State University. My mother, Jackie, also went to Bowling Green State University. That's where they met. My dad played football and my mom was a cheerleader. Both became educators after after college. And as Michelle Obama says, I mean, the closest guarantee you have, uh to success in life is education.
Speaker 4: I believe that.
Speaker 5: But and and that's what allowed my my mom and dad to do do a job they love. My dad became a coach and uh and then uh yeah that but I look back and I honor I honored Josh, Joseph p Ede and Bill Harball for doing the job, the the dirty work to uh for for their family. So that's that's the second piece to that to that to that work shirt. Thanks thanks for asking that. That's uh, that's something very important to.
Speaker 4: Me and our family.
Speaker 2: Jim Harball. The Chargers won their opener beat the Raiders. Next game will be coming up next Sunday, They'll face the Panthers. You got the game, Ball how many how many game balls have you ever received? You seem kind of surprised, emotional after the game.
Speaker 5: That was you know, that was a great moment. There's you know, it's one of the it's one of the best feelings there is. Uh, when you're when you're part of a team and you're you know, you're working so hard for for for your team to have success, you know, the betterment of the organization, the betterment of of all of its members, and uh, yeah when it when it comes together, and uh, that's that's a tremendous feeling of victory, feeling of winning. And and mister Spanos uh gifted myself and and Joe Hortiz uh a game ball and that was that was that was that was cool to be a part of.
Speaker 2: I know you talked about winning multiple championships with the Chargers. Let me go back to you leaving Michigan the landscape of college football. What role did that play if any and you wanting to leave college football to go back to the NFL.
Speaker 5: Well, so it was it was, uh, you know, it's just a piece, a piece to the puzzle. I think, I think, uh, I think what you're asking me, maybe maybe I'm getting that wrong. But uh, you know, the uh the chance to win a win a super Bowl, win a championship, to just simply be known as uh as world champions.
Speaker 4: That's that's uh. That was That's definitely a piece to the puzzle.
Speaker 2: But ni L transfer portal didn't have an adverse effect. You know, Nick Saban's talked about this some of these other you know, high profile coaches that you want to coach. Now you gotta be worried about how much money uh kids constantly transferring in and out? Is the NFL simpler?
Speaker 4: I always looked at that as uh as real positives, uh change that needed to be made.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know that's taken you know, fifty some years for for there to be revenue sharing. Still not there yet, but uh you know, in in my opinion, that that needs to happen. But that's that's Uh. It's uh week two, it's week two for the uh Los Angeles Chargers, and you know, all the all the focus and attention is is is really there. But yeah, it's just uh, if you had won.
Speaker 2: A Super Bowl, would you have gone back to the NFL if you had already won?
Speaker 5: Well, that's a great question. I The other piece of the puzzle is like, this is the highest level. You know, I want to I want to see if I if I uh, if I measure up, if I can come into this tremendous organization and add value.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That uh that's uh, that's a piece of it too. I you know, I love the challenge and this this uh, this league, as you know, I mean you've heard heard a thousand million people say it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's really hard to get a win. Uh. And it's it's uh, it's.
Speaker 5: It's really it's really special to win a championship. I haven't done it. To your question, I remember, I remember. It's almost like it's like the Field of Dreams movie.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: I remember Bert Lancaster, you know, he was talking about his playing days and uh and he and he said he walked off that field thinking there'd be other days, but there were no other days.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Walked off that Super Bowl field in uh in New Orleans, thinking there there'll be another day.
Speaker 4: There'll be another day. You don't know if there is gonna be another day.
Speaker 5: So uh, to have that opportunity to be back back in position, to be in position, uh, you know, I'm sure gonna attack it with an enthusiasm unknown to man time.
Speaker 2: We just had Alex Smith on last hour and said, give me a hardball story, and he said, you know that guy. He he says, all I wanted to do was play football, coach football, and then die.
Speaker 4: That's true. I've said that. I thought that. I've Uh.
Speaker 2: So you believe that you play football, You're going to coach football, and you're going to coach until you die. That's the plan.
Speaker 4: That's that's been the plan. That has been the plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does your wife know that's the plan?
Speaker 5: That was Uh, that's been the plan since I was five years old. I I must admit that I remember being in Bowling Green. My dad was coaching at Bowling Green at the time, and uh, I was getting off the kindergarten bus to go to uh to go to school. And I used to I used to like visualize that. I was like like my dad like uh when he was were his team and he would get off the bus, you know, uh and the players would get off the bus. I used to just picture being on the on the team bus, you know, getting off the bus and like I was walking into the to the stadium and uh, kind of makes the little hairs on my arm stand up because I've you know, just been been able to do that, you know, pretty much my whole life, you know, since then. And I had that thought as a five and a half six year old, like, yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna I'm gonna play as long as I can, then coach and then then die.
Speaker 4: Uh that was uh, yeah, it's it's genuine to me.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember Brent Musburger saying that to me about Joe Paterno. He said he will never retire. Joe Paterno will die, ikill coach until he dies. And you know, he said, that's my fear with Joe Paterno. And he pretty much did that until they kind of, you know, kicked him to the curb.
Speaker 5: I just have so much gratitude Dan, uh, you know, just for for you know, being able to do what I love. And uh, it's have a job, you know, to be able to work. You know, work to me is uh you probably saw it and that uh you know, some of it in the work shirt there, but there's uh and that's that that work ethic I get from from watching my my dad and my mom and my grandpa's and my and my and.
Speaker 4: My my family.
Speaker 5: Uh you know that's faith, family, football, that.
Speaker 4: H that is uh you know that's that's core.
Speaker 5: So uh, just you know, keep keep praying that you know, I can, I can have one more data to uh work on, work on football, you know, work on uh going to Carolina and and seeing if we can uh get win number two. We're can't be can't be two and o unless you want to know we're there now.
Speaker 2: It's now that is actually true. You can't be too and unless you're want enough.
Speaker 5: So just saying that, I just have a lot of gratitude to be able to do this, I mean uh, I mean, uh, I'm just gonna just gonna keep going. And uh and my wife, you know, Sarah, nobody nobody's got it better then I.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna say nobody's got it better than she does because she's married.
Speaker 5: No, No, I'm the lucky one again. I got I drew the long straw there, mister Patrick.
Speaker 2: All right, before we let you go, we're gonna play the What did Jim Harbaugh have for breakfast? All right, Todd, you guess first.
Speaker 7: Some kind of yogurt with granola.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, Seaton, I think just a little eggs and bacon.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's old school Midwest Marvin turkey and egg whites. Turkey and egg whites.
Speaker 8: Wow, PAULI coach has no time for breakfast at Homie shot out of a cannon. I think a staffer leaves a banana on his desk efficiency get back to coaching.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say no breakfast yet.
Speaker 4: You're right. You were both right. There's been there's been no breakfast.
Speaker 2: There's no time a die coke, die coke or die Yeah. All right, let's see it like I would have thought steaking eggs, but you know you don't take a glass of milk, a nice glass of milk.
Speaker 4: We're up. We're up and at it attacking.
Speaker 2: Okay. Uh, good luck against Carolina. Good to talk to you again, and thanks for joining.
Speaker 4: Mister Patrick.
Speaker 5: I Uh, I was just I'm just waiting for you to bring up the two foot putt.
Speaker 4: I missed it at Lake Nona. Uh back in the nineties.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to I was trying to keep it positive.
Speaker 5: Every interview you've ever done, you've always brought up the two No.
Speaker 4: No, you're on the Carolina.
Speaker 2: I'm on to Carolina. I'm I'm Belichick. We're not gonna go back. We're going forward here.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Jim Harbaugh, who has it better than we do.
Speaker 4: Nobody.
Speaker 2: He's ted last though, man, he's Ted Lasto. All right, let me take a break. We'll recap that. Your phone calls right after this. I told you yesterday it was gonna be something fun. Last night during the game, we got to see Will Ferrell. You know, he's there, He's always there, no matter the sport. He's everywhere and he can do it all and you know, kind of like PayPal. It was a PayPal commercial last night and an eighties pop cover artist and singing in the commercial and it's been stuck in my head. There he had the line, oh like this is fresh squeezed, give me a break logan, but Will where we're used to this with Will. It was very funny and the commercial's everywhere now and PayPal is a sponsor of the program, and they're the ones that brought you the Will Ferrell moment last night, and I'm sure there's going to be many more of those. PayPal is everywhere, and as we know, with PayPal, you don't just pay you PayPal. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen Live.
Speaker 9: Hey Gang, listen Jay Glazer, host of Unbreakable, a mental Wealth.
Speaker 10: Podcast, and every week we will have on leaders from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsey Vaughn, Michael phelf, David Spade, got Fiemi, and also those who can help us in between the ears, anyone from a therapist to someone like Ed Milett for John Gordon. We've all been through some sort of adversity to get to the top. We've all used different tools.
Speaker 9: Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the Ieartradio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: Get ready to bring the big screen to your screen. Ryan Gosling Emily Blunt starring The Fall Guy, a love letter to action movies and the stuntmen and women. Stream The Fall Guy Extended cut now only on Peacock By the Way, Big ten Saturday Night. Indiana Ucla still sounds strange saying that like maybe basketball, but Indiana Ucla on NBC and Peacock. Here comes Saturday Night, presented by Discover. I think what's happening with college coaches that are ranked. The coaches are using Notre Dame's loss to Northern Illinois as a cautionary tale. Here is Steve Sarkisian, the Texas head coach. Human nature is human nature. And so what did I do this morning?
Speaker 11: I walked him through the Notre Dame scenario of them going into college station a week ago and winning that game and being anointed top five team and in the college football playoff, and a week later losing to Northern Illinois. And so I showed that clip of the field goal, and I showed the clip of Northern Illinois storm in the field this morning as a good reminder that nothing. We're entitled to nothing. You know, we're capable of anything. We've got a really good team, but we're entitled to nothing, and we're gonna earn everything we get, and we're gonna have to earn the victory here Saturday Night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to be a cautionary tale, but Steve Serkesian smart to use Notre Dame as a cautionary tale. You're a twenty eight point favorite Texas has UTSA University of Texas at San Antonio.
Speaker 7: Road Runners who not sleep Dan, You know that.
Speaker 2: That's Saturday night and he wants his team to make sure. Now, you just had this big win at Michigan. Notre Dame just had a big win at Texas A and m You come back home Northern Illinois, gonna check the box. That'll be a win. And probably the same thing if you're Texas. We just beat Michigan at Michigan and we come home, Yeah, we'll be able to win this game. Don't be Notre Dame. Yes, Paul.
Speaker 8: If you're UTSA, You're like, come on, man, why do you have to wake them up before the week and we come the time?
Speaker 2: Wait till U. L.
Speaker 7: Monroe comes there, wake them up?
Speaker 2: Then all right, let me get some phone calls in here eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at tp show. Harball is a character. It's tough to kind of keep him focused on what the question is. He shook me off with one where I think we were talking about leaving college the NIL transfer portal, and then all of a sudden it was just back to football. And excited about the Chargers, focused on week two. Yeah, and I went, okay, not going down there, Yeah, not gonna You can put down the bread crumbs, but you got to eat the bread crumbs. And he was He looked at him and he wasn't going there. Uh T In Georgia, Hi T, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hey Dan Howard?
Speaker 2: You good sir?
Speaker 6: All right? So first off, seven and six foot one seventy five hard hard. I want to say I agree with you because you had to take about Jordan Mason. If I'm not mistaken, I agree with you. I disagree with Joe unfortunately, because I watched the pregame show that hour ago or that hour before. And even if you do have coverage on the replacement running back, you're still saying that you're replacing Christian McCaffery. It's still a notable story. Yes, we know about Aaron Rodgers. Yes we're you know, figure out what he's gonna be doing for this, but it's still at the end of the day where it's new. Just like you guys do y'all do the whole Let's recap what we did the last hour and then let's let's, you know, bring you up to speed about what we're going to be talking about this hour. So them not covering it the way that they did, Yes, I agree with you one hundred percent. They it was fault down their ends. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Well and thank you. To My point is you get caught up in a vacuum when you work at a network that, hey, we just talked about this on the pregame show. People don't necessarily tune into a pregame show. They go what time is the game? They don't say what time is pregame. That's why networks are vague when a game was going to start, it's a oh kick, or it'll be Jets Niners at eight o'clock, and then meanwhile, it's not going to start till eight fifteen or eight twenty. You know, you're trying to get something sponsored, you know, the pre game show, the pre pregame show. You have to open up. You have to treat the broadcast, in my opinion, as a standalone not hey, they discussed this on the pregame show on the mother Ship. First of all, if you have direct TV, maybe you didn't see the pregame show on ESPN, And you can never assume that your audience already knows this. It's big news. It's Christian mccas the number one player taken in many many fantasy drafts. Also the gambling part of this. The line changed, the over under change because of Christian McCaffrey and you have an undrafted third year player taking his place. I just you know, once again, if I was at the Mothership, I would have said, no, we got to start the broadcast with that, because that's the most important thing. Maybe that's why I'm not at the Mothership anymore. And why don't you shut up talking hair do. Yeah, I would have led with that, just because that's the most important part. That's that's could change the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul, when you text that to us last night, I was watching it, I had the same thought, like, boy, they're not they're three or four minutes in McCaffrey's name has been mentioned, and I think I text back to you maybe this was a taped open. Sometimes in TV, to be careful, they tape the called the open of a show, and then you're like no, no, because they mentioned it later.
Speaker 7: It's one of the those things.
Speaker 8: As a producer you'd also say, hey, guys, same pregame show, but open up and say this just in and then back to the rundown.
Speaker 7: Even if you just check the box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had problems with the whole thing. When did the Niners know about Christian McCaffrey. He should have been listed as doubtful, right, I'm guessing I got a minimum. He should have been listed as doubtful. Then at least we know there's a possibility he might not play like doubtful now changes my opinion on the Niners aren't going to have Christian McCaffrey. If they're listening him as doubtful this close to the game, then that would have been different. And also, if the Niners played that game in New York, he would have made the trip. He would have been downgraded to being out for that game. Did the Niners know? Did they know that he wasn't going to be able to play?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I get it. It used to be that you would hold off competitive advantage. You wanted to make sure that that team didn't know if Christian McCaffrey was going to play or not. But you know we have to discuss and disclose injuries now a player's status. I mean, you want to make sure you eliminate inside information. That's really really at the core of this, because the NFL wants to be transparent with injuries, instead of somebody finding out on a Friday that Christian McCaffrey's not going to play and then that could have affect the outcome. How you bet you can throw in fantasy. But you know, the gambling part of this is why they're trying to get rid of the possibility, the perception of inside information questionable. Okay, that's one thing doubtful. That's a completely different label for Christian McCaffrey. And once again, I might be just howling into the win and nobody cares, but I did just because I've been in this business such a long period, a long long time, yet breaking news and that should have been the focal point to start. Because I didn't see the pregame show. I was saying to the Danis, I can't believe they're not leading. First words out of Joe's mouth Christian McCaffrey is not playing tonight. Okay, that's how important it was to me. And you've actually had news that we would care about instead of, you know, a picturesque night in Santa Clara. Okay, it's not that picturesque because Christian McCaffrey's not going to be on the football field. I'm never getting invited back to ESPN the reunion. You know, it was five years ago that I five years ago.
Speaker 7: Like two days ago, fortieth anniversary thing.
Speaker 2: That I went back to the mother Ship and I did the Sports Center with Oberman. You guys went with me because I thought I might need backup in case, you know, things got out of hand, you know, like Anchorman when all the different news teams come together for the big fight there that I said to the dan Ns, you guys want to come. My wife was even nervous. She goes, I'm coming with you. I go, okay. I don't know what she would have done, But now everybody was nice. There were so many people I hadn't seen in a long long time that I worked with on Sports Center. But that's that's when the president of ESPN said, Hey, I'm want to be in business with you, and I said, oh, okay. I haven't heard from him since then. I don't know what business Jimmy Petaro wants to be in. But five years ago he's walking with me in the parking lot. He goes the reaction of these people to you. That says a lot about you. And I said, I love this place, you know I did, And he goes, I'm going to be in business with you. We're going to do business. And now now I didn't say keep in touch.
Speaker 8: Did he give you the hey, you're welcome back here anytime, which is a fake invite when someone says you're welcome, You're welcome to come back anytime?
Speaker 2: I mean's not really Well, what am I going to do? I'm welcome to come back and go to the cafeteria.
Speaker 7: You loved it there?
Speaker 2: Oh well, I did? I remember pretty nice? Now, well, from what I remember that that was. That was like a two star restaurant, you know, Michelin star restaurant.
Speaker 8: He used a pesto load when you get that, you get that pasta thing and you'd go another scoop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pesto to order pasta bar was about as good as it got.
Speaker 2: But there was one anchor that, uh you know, Joe, the the checkout guy ran the cash register. Awesome guy, loved him, and the he'd say, uh, hey, you got to tell your boy over there, you can't come in here and load up at the pasta bar, eat at the pasta bar and then walk out without paying. And I go, why why don't you say something, Joe? You work here, but one of the anchors would just go up there and eat and then walk out.
Speaker 8: Would he eat his sandwich or burger before he left the property. Yeah, before he got to the checkout line.
Speaker 2: He was just up there eating and he'd have pasta. And then Joe said, you got to tell your boy, And I go, you telling him? I'm not gonna tell him.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good times, great oldies. Yeah, so now it was five years ago. I was up there get a big bag of candy. Oh they had it when I first was there, when we used to have to eat out of a vending machine. So here here's sports centers making a couple one hundred million dollars a year rough estimate, and we had to go downstairs. You either went to McDonald's across the street, took your life in your hands crossing the roadway the highway there to get McDonald's, or you had a vending machine, so you get like a cheese sandwich out of the vending machine and you couldn't really leave the campus.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marv, were you guys there for the late night grill. There was a chef Vinnie, and they would have a grill. Oh do you want to grow cheese with some tomato soup? Yeah, of course, it's eleven o'clock at night. I'm in you guys didn't have that.
Speaker 2: They might have had that before I left. I'm thinking it's you know, I kept saying, and this is what I did with this man cave. I wanted it to be where you wanted to come here early, and I wanted you to leave late because there's a lot of things. You know, you want to have beers, you want to play basketball, whiffleball, you know, whatever you want to do, grill out you can do it. And golf simulator. And I said to my boss at the time, I said, why don't we have like things where people get here early? How about a cafeteria. There's a Golds gym. Why don't we just buy the Golds gym make it part of the campus. I said, what about a basketball court or a putting green? And they were looking at me, like why would we do that? We had a racquetball court that was the big racket.
Speaker 6: There was a.
Speaker 2: Racquetball at nineteen nine. Yes, like, hey, I'm gonna go get a workout here. I'm gonna go down to racquetball court. Oh, there's seventeen people waiting to play.
Speaker 7: Hey damn, let's go play squash me in sports centers.
Speaker 2: It's over by the highlight court. Yeah yeah, And then I go back. They bought the Gold's gym. They put a basketball court out there. That cafeteria is awesome. You're welcome, Mothership, You're welcome. I'm going to get my statue there posthumously.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 8: When I first got there, I walked over with a well known sports center anchor and he's just kind of showing me the ropes, a little bit of this and that, and he's skitting his nightly meal. It was a bacon, double cheeseburger and three diet cokes. And I was like, okay, maybe just blowing it out like cheat day. And then the next couple of nights it was the same order.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 8: It was a guy who was I would say, is relatively lanky fella and he would get double cheeseburger with bacon, three diet cokes.
Speaker 2: Was Capchierrri was great. It was, it really was. It was great and great people there, the people behind the scenes were so great. That's what when people say what do you miss about ESPN, it's those people behind the scenes, like all of my stats people, Howie Schwab, Vinnie Vassallo, Pete McConville. I mean, there were so many people that were just wonderful and work ethic awesome, and they didn't get much note of writing. That's a left turn out of the right lane. Sorry about that, but it was five years ago when I was back there and I'm glad I went. My wife is like, just get it over with, okay, all right, move on, make it better. Like I hate when you're right, but she was right. You know, I was holding a grudge. And she goes, they don't hold a grudge with you, they don't care, And I go, yeah, you're probably right, probably right. Yes, that's what actually stings most. I know, like, no, this, They're supposed to be having meetings on this every day. Yes, what do you mean? It just moves on? Damn. I do know that they had a meeting ESPN Radio when I left, and I remember that I was told in the meeting they were like, we're gonna let him go.
Speaker 6: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't allowed to do TV for six months. They weren't gonna let me do TV. I couldn't go to the Olympics with NBC. But they said, oh, he can start doing radio. He won't amount to anything. And I was like, oh, man, I'm coming after you.
Speaker 8: But that's like a Michael Jordan thing. I think one of us maybe just made that quote up and gave it to you to motivate you.
Speaker 2: No, I know who said it. No, I know who said it. And he actually came up to me at the Sports Emmys and he said, hey, how's it going. And I didn't say anything to him. It's like, no, we're not doing this. I'm not gonna play happy, but no more grudges. Everything's good. H breathe in Dan, Is it though?
Speaker 13: It is?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely yeah. Because the President, Jimmy Petar, is gonna call me really soon, just five years. I mean, hey, things. You know he's busy, he's running ESPN as earliest today. He called me as early as today. After they figure out the direct TV issue, then he'll give me a call. Okay, let's take a break. Uh Shay and Irving wants to talk about the Cowboys. We'll get to your phone calls coming up, and we'll dive a little deeper into the Tyreek Hill Miami Police Department story as well. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls coming up eight seven to seven, three DP show, Try to squeeze those in. It was a big surprise last night when Christian McCaffrey not playing. Brock Purdy had this to say about Christian McCaffrey's fill in.
Speaker 13: You know, Christian does a lot I think in the past game, you know, dropping back and either going to him as the first option or knowing that he's he's my last option and there's a really good chance that he's open. But with JP, I think JP did a good job coming in and you know there were some third downs and stuff where I was able to hit him on some checkdowns and him doing the same thing Christian has done so obviously, you know, Christian is the best you know in the league at running back and what he does. I'm not taking anything away from that, but I think JP did a good job of coming in and filling his void and doing his job to allow other guys to get open and allow us to run our offense.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jordan Mason, undrafted third year player, he makes in a season what Christian McCaffrey makes in a game around nine hundred, nine hundred and sixty nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars for one forty seven And uh, they look good, look good. Let me see who kin Naku is going to the IR so that means he's going to be out for at least four weeks. The Packers didn't put Jordan Love on the IR so he's going to be weak to week. But they did trade for Malik Willis, and that was right at the beginning of the season. It was one of those oh okay now all of a sudden, and I think people thought Ryan Tannehill would be somebody who could maybe come in for Jordan Love. I think if it was more serious, then you could bring in Ryan Tannehill. But Malik Willis. They're playing the Colts, and I think they've they were like four point favorites against the Colts four and a half and now the Packers are getting three.
Speaker 7: Is that an eight point swing seven.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a lot. I remember we asked Vegas about that if Tom Brady was not in in his backup and they said, I thought a six point swing, Jordan Love, it's almost eight point swing there. That's surprising.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pauline, what if Malik Willis is better than expected because he's been in the league a bit a couple of years, right, I'll take games over?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I think you're just hoping that he does a Jacoby Brissett. You go into a good situation. Yeah, but just manage it. Don't don't expect him to win the game and hope that he doesn't lose the game. Just make sure you take care of have a good game plan here, use your weapons wisely. But now they're underdog, chance poem.
Speaker 7: Was Malik Willis a first round pick out of Liberty.
Speaker 2: I believe, sir.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he has no touchdown passes in his career. He has three picks. He's only started three games.
Speaker 8: I wonder if there's ever been a first round quarterback drafted to finish his career at zero touchdown passes. Finish his career well, no, Blik Willis. It doesn't seem like things are going well. It's going well now because they'll start.
Speaker 2: Fin I think that he gets his first touchdown pass this weekend.
Speaker 7: Hot take game.
Speaker 2: Third round draft pick, third round, third round draft? Wait, who was the quarterback who was taken in the first round? Levis was twenty twenty two?
Speaker 6: Who was it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Wasn't there a quarterback?
Speaker 5: God?
Speaker 2: Was it first round pick that we were surprised at taken by Atlanta? Question? Michael Pennick. No, no, no, no, no, no, that was a surprise though. Damn wait, I thought there was a quarterback? Did Atlanta take one?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: Deb Desmond Ritter prior to that? I don't know. Ah, Look who's joining us. Everything's gotta be good. It's Shay and Irving. The Cowboys win Week one, no issues whatsoever. Shay is joining a he's actually joining us by zoom. He's always running up on the phone, it says. But there's the reveal that's look at that guy, Shae, it's.
Speaker 7: Frozen or he's motionless.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a solid bit. If he was.
Speaker 3: If he wasn't frozen but was acting like he was, maybe maybe it's better that he's just frozen. I have Kenny Pickett going in that draft Okay, I thought it.
Speaker 2: Was a quarterback from maybe maybe it was Malik Willis Kenjamin Picket. I thought that there was a first round draft pick that surprised a lot of people. Desmond Ritter went in the third Yeah, yeah, Wait what happened to Shaye? I just saw him eight second reveal?
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Wait was he going to join us via zoom? Did he know he was joining us via zoom? That'd be unfortunate if he didn't realize that that was well. I think on his social media he talked about letting people see what he looks like.
Speaker 8: To describe what I saw, he looks like a former motorcycle gang member who's starting to clean up his act.
Speaker 6: Is that fair?
Speaker 7: Like the hair shavesides? It's not a mohawk, it's more.
Speaker 2: Of a I don't know what it is. Uh. He has a variety of looks by the way he does. But he he was frozen there. Okay, Well there Shay and Irving there he is, yes, Marv. But the thing about is he looks exactly how he sounds.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: He looks like a country country song and he and he sounds like he could be a country song and his life could be a country song as well. Oh my God, might be his best appearance. Wow, wow, Wow, it's gotta be in a good mood. Yes, the cowboys are doing well, like okay, So I don't know, maybe we'll get Shade back. Wait a round of applause for what what an appearance? All right, Shay two hours in the books on this Tuesday. That's quite a cameo. We'll see if he will join us.
Speaker 3: Final Hour reveal fifteen years in the making, Final Hour coming up.