Speaker 1: We got a lot of requests for everyone wanting to know. Did poor Wilfredell get his Christmas gifts? You had a lot of people concerned for you.
Speaker 2: A lot of as well. They should be your Christmas gifts. Will I got some of my Christmas.
Speaker 3: We had one lunch where we were supposed to bring presents and I forgot So I forgot them. And I still haven't seen you, guys.
Speaker 1: I've seen you, but I haven't seen this a couple of times.
Speaker 3: And I brought them the second time and just and I asked about them, and I'll never get him. Yep, they're sitting in my car Indies. INDI has been looking at the presence. He's like, what are these persons to me here? And then like he spilled tea on them when we were going to school the other board, they're already ruined.
Speaker 2: He's sorry.
Speaker 1: Presents, Okay, you know what I love?
Speaker 4: Love love?
Speaker 1: Is that right? Or strong King of leather jacket stolen out of his car, still keeps stills this car and nice things in his car? Well, they live in my car. Rider is your car parked in a secured parking?
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 1: We'll see how a lot of those gifts stay in the car.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be great for the record. Danielle, What you got me?
Speaker 2: Love?
Speaker 1: What I amazing you got?
Speaker 4: You got me the awesome Converse All Stars Batman Edition from like the eightieth the eightieth anniversary Batman Edition.
Speaker 2: All Star shoes. They're so cool, so much fun.
Speaker 4: There's that joy of handing your gift to somebody you love, getting the gift.
Speaker 2: Back from somebody.
Speaker 1: Just tell us what they are your back.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to give away because there's a process.
Speaker 3: It's a whole especially with Will's gift. I have three gifts for Will and it's a whole cross. Really, your gift is just Sarah. I just thought it was the funniest, weirdest thing.
Speaker 2: So I hated the gift. Daniel I needed the gift. But Will got me a Instagram walking stick. He got a scam.
Speaker 3: Uh Andy loves scams, by the way, that's like his favorite thing is like a scam.
Speaker 2: He's obsessed.
Speaker 3: So he wanted to see the video because Will got me, Yeah, something that was like a survival walking It's.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be a walking stick for a six foot man.
Speaker 4: King.
Speaker 2: You'll only get three segments.
Speaker 3: What you bought was three segments of a walking stick that add up to.
Speaker 2: A hobbit walking stick. Maybe not even a hobbit.
Speaker 1: It's like maybe sixteen inches so.
Speaker 3: But it has a knife, it has like uh, it's it's very cool and it's like made of metal and it screws together.
Speaker 2: But it's I can't walk walk The.
Speaker 4: Guy the video the video, the guy's like literally fighting a mountain lion with breaking rocks.
Speaker 2: I get it in the mail. I'm like, what the is this?
Speaker 1: How they get a mountain lion and the air.
Speaker 3: And gotten me the other three segments. I'm still waiting and I, well, okay, let's go. Well you got me a walking stick and instead I got stuck walking stick.
Speaker 1: You know what I got from you?
Speaker 4: I got yeah, yeah, exactly three presents come in your.
Speaker 2: Way, my friend. You're gonna love them. You're gonna love them. I'm never gonna give you what I got you, but you love it.
Speaker 1: Will doesn't like the gift he got me.
Speaker 2: I don't at all.
Speaker 1: It's it's a very beautiful magnetic You may have seen them on the TikTok or Instagram. They're magnetic travel containers for your beauty products. So they're a beautiful like lilac color, and they have lids that you can unscrew and then you can put your moisturizer, you can put stuff in in there, and then they have like a picture or a name the word on top that tells you what they are. The problem that I've run into with them and I'm gonna have to just figure out what they're used for is there's one for like contact solution. I don't wear contacts, and there's like a picture of an eyeball on it, and I'm like, what am I supposed to do about.
Speaker 2: Some sort of a I think.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 4: The funniest thing is we're on the plane a couple of days ago and I look at Daniel.
Speaker 2: I'm like, God, I hate your gift. We're having our normal conversation.
Speaker 1: I hate. She's like, you're kidding. I love my gift. It's amazing. I'm like, did you use it? She's like, no, no, no, I don't really need it.
Speaker 3: Will also got me a book holder like a little coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I put it together. Well, I'm it's still missing a.
Speaker 1: Divot, No, a couple of domes.
Speaker 3: I gave you the I know, but I need like two more to make it like really secure because there's two extra holes in it. But yeah, So it has a David Hume quote on one side and it's made out of wood, and it's like you can put a book and a coffee like a couple. And then it has a day Hume quote which is like an argument among friends or something.
Speaker 2: Is it exactly? But it was. It was so it's about friendship. It's a David Hume quote about friendship. It was like, this is perfect. And then a quote on the other side. You know, so you have a Yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: I was very thoughtful with riders gifts and Danielle's gifts, buying something for Danielle.
Speaker 2: She has everything, and if she doesn't and she buys it for herself.
Speaker 1: I've tried to tell you to buy me jewelry. I've taken it again.
Speaker 2: It's odd to buy another woman jewelry.
Speaker 1: He goes. I had all these ideas, but they felt too daity. He's a example a weekend at Sandals. I mean, that's just Dady. I can't take you for a weekend. It's like, I had this great idea. I'm so, what did I say to you?
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm walking around Victoria's Secret and I'm like.
Speaker 1: This, and I'm like, I can't, I can't buy here this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was dying. It was so funny too. Relationshipy, here's a diamond ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from daniel to be friends with me forever and ever.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna smell you guys something next year.
Speaker 2: I'll make you both grappling.
Speaker 1: Honestly be the best thing. Okay, okay, you smelted us anything, I would put it in a shadow box and hang it in my bedroom. Who ever smelt it, dealt it. We talked about that.
Speaker 2: So you can see.
Speaker 3: In the corner I have Danielle's gift from last year, which is a Thomas Guide framed Thomas Guide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it, Yes, And there's your floor. I got writer a fancy pen. I had a hard time, but then you are.
Speaker 3: It's a great pen. But then you also picked a book that we hadn't talked about but I've.
Speaker 2: Been wanting to read, which is amazing, which.
Speaker 3: Is the best year, film ever, best year ever. Nineteen ninety nine is the best decade. No, it's the best film. It's the best year. That's the whole pitch. It's a film critic. I'm blanking on his name, but you can look it up that he says that, like, nineteen ninety nine was this epic year. And I've heard this theory. It's based on an article he wrote. And I been talking about this book and I have never read it. So you got me exactly. I was like, have we talked about this?
Speaker 2: You're like, no, but you tell the rest of the Penn story though, Danielle.
Speaker 1: Okay, my favorite, so just the absolute best. We exchange our gifts. We actually went to lunch with our dear friend Jeff Manel, and after our lunch with Jeff Manel, we exchanged gifts. Two days later, again, a text from writer goes, hey, can you send me? Can you send me the link to the place that you bought my pen? And I go, oh, do you like it? And he goes, yeah, I love it, but I've already misplaced it.
Speaker 2: I found it again.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know where it is right now, but he found it again during jury duty.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I mark my book.
Speaker 3: So my pens are always in books, you know, because I'm always reading like five or six books at.
Speaker 2: A time, and so I keep it in there.
Speaker 3: And then like you know, so I have to, Like, I always am grabbing a book and then finding a pen inside of it, So it's in one of my books somewhere.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, so far. Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fischel.
Speaker 2: I'm rather strong and I still want my gifts. Oh my god, I'm WILFORDO.
Speaker 1: Welcome to this episode. We are recapping season four episode fourteen Wheels. It originally aired January seventeenth, nineteen ninety seven. We have made seven nineteen ninety seven in the show airing the synopsis. Corey can't wait to break in his new driver's license by going on a road trip with his friends, but the plans hit a speed bump when Alan has a tough time letting his son grow up. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Jeff Sherman. Did you guys have any just overall thoughts before I jump into guest Stars?
Speaker 2: I thought it was really sweet.
Speaker 3: It's a you know, it's a pretty dramatic episode, actually, I know. And it's great to see Rusty and you know, just getting to act and he's so real, so real, just a just a such an authentic actor. Do you know what I mean, Like, Rusty never has a false moment and and it's it's actually kind of shocking, like you know, in the opening scenes, I was like, whoa, Alan's like intense because he's so just plays the straight you know, like, and I thought it was sweet. And there's a lot of logic issues I had with this episode. There was a lot of weird like wait, why is that there? How did they get in time for that? And we're rewriting the whole history of Eric's license Day, which was an episode and we're just forgetting that. I don't know so, but you know, whatever it overall is, it was it was.
Speaker 2: A pretty good episode.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it well. I actually really liked it.
Speaker 4: And this my my hot take of the day is and Bill is phenomenal, He's obviously phenomenal, but russy Rusty is the best.
Speaker 2: Actor on this show.
Speaker 4: I he This one just cemented it to me again of just how layered and amazing an actor Rusty is.
Speaker 2: He's just I really liked it.
Speaker 4: Sue cried next to me several times, especially with all the show and Corey as a young kids stuff, and I know, but I Rusty is just so good. I mean, Bill's just the mainstay you get used to.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 4: The shocking thing would be seeing a bad performance from Bill because you just know it's not going to happen. But I think this is a good him being playful with Alan. It's amazing the two of them together. I just want to I know it's a kid show, but I just want to watch twenty two minutes of Alan and Feenie together with Betsy having Betsy come in to have that, because it is The adults in this show were so good and it hurts my heart area to know that as we get older they're phased out more because they're just incredible.
Speaker 2: But I fully enjoyed the episode season four.
Speaker 4: I'm unless season five, six or seven comes out of nowhere and is just, oh my god, this is amazing. How do you beat this season? It's a good episode after a good episode, after.
Speaker 3: Every episode is just I mean, yeah, and you see all the things that define Boy meets World in this scene.
Speaker 2: Yep. Agree.
Speaker 4: I don't know what they were doing, but man, it is it is firing in all cylinders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really great. My only complaint, like I said, some of the logic stuff I thought like I thought in that opening kitchen scene where there's you know, not the opening kitchen scene, but the scene where Corey and Allan are talking about what the plan is and that Corey wants to go, and Alan's like, well, I'm just going to go run some errands then and then you can have the car. I'm like, so the problem solved. Just go with your dad, take your dad to run the errands.
Speaker 2: Right, A lot of that, Yeah, well just now now it's.
Speaker 1: Fine, you get to do both because he's still going to go anyway.
Speaker 4: So it like some of that didn't make any sense. It's also they have no idea how old Morgan is. It's like, are you kidding? You got this year old girl driving her own little car, Like, what the hell is happening here on it? Yeah, it's weird that they treat her like she's like seven years old, but.
Speaker 2: It's that is funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't even think of that, but you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So guest starring Dan Lauria as Judge Lamb. It would be impossible to not know him as the dad Jack Arnold on the Wonder Years, working with Ben's real life brother Fred, and amongst his two hundred other credits, are Independence Day, Party of five, Seventh Heaven and Sullivan and Sons or Sullivan and Son mmm Worth noting he's still working a ton at seventy six years old, popping up on The Good Doctor just last year. He's almost eighty now, wow, right, crazy. Raymond O'Connor is Officer Dibble. He was park Ranger Bob in nineteen ninety six's action mega hit The Rock, but he also appears in movies like My Blue Heaven and Ryder Strong's My Giant Yep.
Speaker 4: Really, yes, he's been in everything. This guy's a character actor.
Speaker 2: First, so good.
Speaker 3: It's such a small part, but it's completely memorable. But that's what he does.
Speaker 4: He does these smaller roles where he just kills it in every role that he.
Speaker 1: Does in all He was on Things Seinfeld Who's the Boss, and Malcolm in the Middle. He sadly passed away in September twenty twenty three. It's seventy one years old. And then we have Ricky Dale as Marnie. She appears in two Boy Meets World episodes, with another in season five, but in the storied tradition of our show, she has a different character name in that one.
Speaker 2: And you know you know who she is, yes, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: So she is now a talent agent here in Los Angeles and she is married with two kids. To Bury Safchick, a writer and producer for Boy Meets World. He wrote four episodes that start in season five, including Starry Night.
Speaker 2: So he wasn't a writer on our show yet in this way.
Speaker 1: I don't think yet, But I think he was a friend, was very close friends with Michael Keys in.
Speaker 4: The credits because I noticed him in the credit. But he's like part of the quote unquote production staff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like on the production side. But he was not a writer yet until season five. But it's so funny because the way memory works, the minute she popped up on screen, I said she she dated somebody or I just knew married. I said they weren't at the time of the show. I weren't. No, they weren't at the time of the show. I think, Well, actually, I guess we don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know because they had a kid by the by fifth or sixth I mean, their little one was on the set.
Speaker 2: Baby was on the set with us.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maybe they did. Because I was, like I asked Blutman last night I was like, what's the situation with Ricky Dale? And he's the one who told me married to Barry Safcheck And I was like, is that where they met? And he said, I actually don't know how they met, so they they were married or and I just knew when I saw her. I was like, we we knew her, Like we knew her more than just somebody who was there this one week. So it's just funny the way memory works. So jumping into our recap, we st art and Chubbies, Sean, Tapega, and Corey are all hanging out when Topega mentions that tomorrow is the big day. Apparently that's when Corey Matthews turned sixteen and mobile Sean tells them he's worked out all the details for their big birthday road trip. Corey assumes he can use his dad's car tomorrow because he's sixteen and it's his right. He's probably even filling up the tank for him right now. Sean gets serious, this is a life landmark. This is the first Corey drives road trip. We are merely guests of the car, the wind and destiny. Corey disagrees. The point is they are adults with cars who can see R rated movies. Tapenga refuses to go to an R rated movie with them, but Corey reminds her. Van Dam takes his shirt off and then I say, ah, uga, is this also a thing?
Speaker 2: Though? Is meaning?
Speaker 4: Like growing up my entire life, going to an already movie was never a thing.
Speaker 3: It was just he just just de Penn's family to family because I was the same way, Like basically from age eleven or twelve on, I just saw whatever. But if you weren't allowed to take it to a movie theater, yeah, like if you ever stopped from buying well, because I went to see Braveheart for my second or third time with some friends and we were all like fifteen, and I got into an argument with the person, man, how dare I was like, I've already seen this movie. I'm going it's okay, And like I convinced, and I think I think they recognized me too. But like anyway I argue my way into seeing Braveheart for the second or third time, they were they were going to kick me out because I wasn't with somebody over.
Speaker 1: Sap Jenson was stopped buying from ticket His mom would buy them for him because it was there was just didn't want to deal with.
Speaker 4: The I think it's also if you have older brothers, eventually you're just it doesn't going. Yeah, you're just going with your family and they're not going to leave one kid at home and you're not going to pick a PG movie we were just watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never had that, So yeah, I shout a uga, But like, also I make it seem like maybe I'm being sarcastic about it.
Speaker 2: Which I think is good fun.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't because you know, I don't know if it was written to be as I wrot because you played it, which is good because I think.
Speaker 4: The irony, the level of like, oh well, now I care, is you were given a line reading and then made it your own.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope that that's what it was, because I did think, like I don't understand. I like that that it's like, oh, that's going to make me go see it a little bit. I can't wait.
Speaker 3: So yeah, later you say a wuga as a callback, and I realized, oh that later auga would have been funnier if this was.
Speaker 2: Earnest exactly, And I want it's fine, it's.
Speaker 3: So much better that you play it like to pengas so much smarter by above it and like a little like, uh, it's.
Speaker 1: Well, and it is one of the only times to Penga is a little smarter and above it in the rest of the episode, So I do appreciate that at least we have a little bit of it got nice outfits on though I'm still I'm still one of Charlie's angels.
Speaker 2: You are one of Charlie's angels. Hello.
Speaker 3: Dan Damn is kind of a thing in Boy Meets World. I know because because it becomes a big thing with me and Angela.
Speaker 1: Of the best women are men and so and see me when she's has tickets to see a Van Damn movie, it must mean she's the perfect woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Van Damn.
Speaker 3: Like it's so funny because what I remember from the nineties would be more like Schwartzenegger or like, I don't know, like sort Snegger is actually technically more eighties Okay, nineties.
Speaker 2: You're right, okay, two in the nineties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was the next he was the next big thing. He was like Time Cop and all of his.
Speaker 2: The only time I remember is Time Cop and it didn't do well. Actually I did. He talks about that.
Speaker 4: They ad it's when he turned down the fifteen million dollars deal from Warner Brothers because he didn't think it was fair enough, and then it was never offered a deal that's eyes ever again, Right, yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: He talks about that. He's like, I totally did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Corey adds, the best part is we're seeing it in Atlantic City. To pang of questions why they go all the way to Atlantic City to see the movie and the boys slam their fists on the table because we can, Corey proclaims, tomorrow, I am a man.
Speaker 4: You also still need to be seventeen to get into an R rated movie, right.
Speaker 3: So yes, discuss that later at the rest of you're allowed in as long as somebody over seventeen buys.
Speaker 4: The ticket, right, but all three are supposed to be sixteen at this point, right.
Speaker 1: Right to Pega, just we.
Speaker 3: Both have our driver's license apparently, I yes, which if you did it in order to Panga is the oldest of the three of you, because she said to Panga and Sean got their licenses and now it was my turn.
Speaker 2: So I took that out.
Speaker 1: How do you know that Sewn hadn't already turned sixteen by the time we did my sixteenth birthday. We don't have a Shawn's birthday.
Speaker 4: No, I'm saying if he said it in order, if he said he said to Panga got a license and Seawan got So if he did in order, then you'd.
Speaker 1: Be the oldest, then I'd be the oldest. Yeah, was getting your license at sixteen a big deal to both of you? It was the biggest.
Speaker 3: Well, it was funny because I was watching this, I was thinking, is is getting your license as big of a deal in like Pennsylvania as it is in California? Because I know in California we.
Speaker 2: Were all obsessed, could not wait, You couldn't wait.
Speaker 3: But it was also the same and can you needed a car to get around, But I feel like when you have public transportation, like you know on in the East Coast, there's like there's trains everywhere, there's buses everywhere.
Speaker 4: Again Connecticut, where we didn't have, we our publicated, but it was not good. So we getting the license at sixteen, But it also wasn't he talks about his temporary license or like, and we didn't have any of that at sixteen. You were just driving. You didn't need somebody older in the car. It wasn't about. I think there's some places where it's like, well, now it's a Melissa.
Speaker 1: It was a rule even when I got my license you had to have for the first several months, you weren't allowed to have somebody.
Speaker 3: Under twenty under twenty yeah seat or something like. It wasn't I think that's still the case now. It's all the way until you're eighteen, I think in California.
Speaker 2: And there was something also with the light.
Speaker 4: You can't drive it the dark in some places, so it's we didn't have any of that.
Speaker 2: You have your license, that you don't have a license.
Speaker 1: I made the appointment for the dan V on my sixteenth birthday. I was at my regular school, so I was either not in the episode that week, or well, it's May, so we wouldn't have been working. We would have wrapped the season in March. So I was at school and I remember being in my dreaded science class. That teacher hated me because all I did in that class was talk. And I was sitting there, sating next to somebody, and I was like, yeah, it's my birthday and my mom's picking me up right after this class, and I'm going to get my license. And the teachers like Danny Ow and I was like huh. And he was like, do you have something you'd like to share with the whole class? And I was like no, I don't. Well then why are you talking? What are you talking about? And I was like, well, it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Because in the future, I'm going to have a thing called a podcast talk for That's what I'm going to do.
Speaker 3: Everyone's going to want to hear my thoughts about my private license go on, Dani.
Speaker 1: And I said, it's just it's my birthday and I'm going to get my driver's license, and he said, I beg you please stop talking. I promise you whatever you learn in this science class is going to benefit you more than talking about your birthday. Let's find this teacher now. Let's don't even remember their name. I just remember thinking.
Speaker 2: Oh, my professor science.
Speaker 1: It's my freaking birthday. Mister, could you just lighten up a little bit? Anyway? I hate science?
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: The waitress appears with the food. Who gets the clown burger? Corey hesitantly raises his hand, taking the andre with bells and whistles like a multi colored clown cap. He tells his friends, I collect the little hats. Yeah, funny, very Corey, very Corey. Cute, cute, and then we go to a commercial break. We come back, we're in the Matthew's kitchen.
Speaker 3: Alan, you guys watch backs anymore?
Speaker 1: You know what I wanted. I wasn't even gonna mention it. But now that you mentioned the opening credits, have you noticed that we are not doing a cold open and then the credits and then back into the show. The credits just start off the show and then we go in. Then we have scenes back to back, like this Chubby scene rolls right into the Matthews kitchen scene.
Speaker 2: No, I think it went to credits, went to credit.
Speaker 1: Now it starts on credits.
Speaker 2: Hmmmm. So our cold open is just.
Speaker 1: Our cold open is now part of exactly, it's just part of Act one. There's no like welcome you know, the credit like, it's just literally you start the show on opening credits. The song so I skip to answer.
Speaker 2: Answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I don't know if it's going to stay this way or if we're going to get more cold opens in the future, but I did notice for the last couple episodes at least you're starting on credits. Alan walks in through the back door holding some cleaning supplies. Amy asks why he isn't at the store, and he says he had Eric open today because he has big plans. It's Corey's day. I'm going to take him to the d m V, watch him take his driver's test, and off to Woody's roadhouse. Amy smiles, Just like you did with Eric.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: What happened? You went with Jason Marsden to get your license? Yes, we all saw it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were just there were no one acknowledged your birthday.
Speaker 2: No, my birthday.
Speaker 3: Didn't have the test and come back to home having failed your test, and like.
Speaker 1: Having and then they have to drive, yes, yeah, and then they have to drive with his license.
Speaker 4: He lies about it and yeah, this is the same show.
Speaker 2: Yeah me world Yep, But.
Speaker 1: I was happy they were releast acknowledging a birthday. The Matthews seem to have turned around their weird relationship with me.
Speaker 2: Again. We have a fourteen year old little sister that is.
Speaker 4: A different little sister than she was, And sometimes she's eight, sometimes.
Speaker 1: She's sixteen, and sometimes she's three. They're just changing stuff. Alan nods, And my dad did it with me a Matthew's men's license state tradition, and I just wanted to say, sorry, Morgan, you're on your own. However, you're going to go get your license. It's not going to be with your father.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: We've talked about this before, but very I always say very briefly, and it will be very briefly.
Speaker 1: Will Yes, Am I wrong? Because we've talked about this.
Speaker 2: The only grandparent we've seen is Room McClanahan. Correct. Yes, Okay, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: We can remember why we never brought in another grandparent on either side ever again yep.
Speaker 1: Alan has also washed the car so it looks good in the picture he takes after Corey passes. Amy wonders does Cory know about these plans. Alan shakes his head. No, it's a Matthew's men's tradition. You don't have to tell them. It's just in the jeens and then hornhonnks from outside. It's Morgan, she barges. In Corey's driving a car, Alan questions without a license. He and Amy rush to the living room just as Corey walks in through the front door with Topanga and Sean. He passed his driver's test. He got his license, well his temporary one. At least.
Speaker 4: Who's car do you think he was driving? It's got to be Sean.
Speaker 2: Sean doesn't have a car.
Speaker 1: Rich, Yeah, rich, she says, later, just give me An ATM. I'll pay exactly she's got.
Speaker 3: But to Pega must have a job, right, Like she's the type of like she's achiever.
Speaker 2: That would have a job. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, she's yes, So she's like saving money for college already for sure.
Speaker 2: So they got to be into bed.
Speaker 4: Let's assume because he's coming in with the cleaning supplies because he was cleaning the car.
Speaker 2: You imagine that's what he said, he was cleaning it. So it's pretty for the picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Alan attempts excitement.
Speaker 2: Conflict because they could just take to Pega's car. Why does Corey need.
Speaker 1: The It's one of the things.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand that. Then he's for the keys. They could have just gone.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about this problem.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but they could literally just say, okay, Dad, I guess I can't have the car whatever or whatever.
Speaker 4: The contractor had been him not showing up until later in the night. Because they went instantly from getting the car to having the road trip in the car that they were already Yeah, this is this is thember they may at home, but no, because he says it course Corey's driving, because that's what Morgan says.
Speaker 2: There's a Corey's driving.
Speaker 4: The car was without a license, so why not just take the car that he drove in the actual test with there's a there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of a lot of logical problems in this. Yeah, okay, great performances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Alan pats him on the chest, whish is him a happy birthday, and then solemnly walks away, and then the inmates in the audience give him an all.
Speaker 2: I don't want the audience to be doing the awe.
Speaker 1: You really don't like that.
Speaker 3: It's so obligatory and it's a television history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have an audience that does things like a's and oohze and I mean that's like that's TV you.
Speaker 1: Cory asks his mom. Is it just me? Or were they happier for me? At the DMV. Amy admits Alan's a little let down. He kind of thought Corey would want to do this with his dad. Corey surprised they didn't have anything planned. Sean chimes in, boy, I went with my dad, which I think is funny.
Speaker 4: That's pretty crazy, even I did I with my dad.
Speaker 1: And then back in the kitchen, Alan is doing the dishes when Corey walks into talk. He apologizes he didn't know what was such a big deal to him. Tapenga got her license and Sean got his, so they wanted to be with Corey when it was his turn. Alan assures his son it's okay, but his demeanor is telling a different story. Cory asks, without reading the room at all, cool enough for you to give me the keys? Alan says, why not? I got a couple errands to run. I wouldn't mind being chauffeured around for a change. On cue, Sean walks in, so road trip you got the keys yet? Alan's disappointed. Oh you meant your friends? Okay? Corey stutters, no, you could come to Sean yells what. Corey shoots him a look, and Sean does read the room. Kind of a road trip would it be? Without? Good? Old miss? Really well done, though, rider. Were you proud of your performance here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, good, yeah good. I'm happy. Alan gets the hint. I do have a couple of errands to run. It'll take me a couple of hours. But when I come back, the car's all yours, all right, buddy, So again, he's still gonna go run the errands. Corey could just take him and say to his friends, I'll be back in a couple hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll come pick you up in a couple.
Speaker 1: Everyone gets there want yeah mh. Corey responds, if you're all right, I'm all right. He hands the keys to Alan, who immediately leaves for his errands. Corey's sad, but he turns to his friends, I've waited sixteen years, right, I can wait a couple hours. And then we're in the Matthew's backyard, Corey's and paidcent waiting outside when Morgan drives up in a toy jeep that's for three year old rulds.
Speaker 2: She looks like she's fourteen at this point, I know, and it's like.
Speaker 1: What she barely fits in this thing. It's like, it's what are you supposed to be?
Speaker 2: For three toddlers?
Speaker 4: She takes up the whole front seat by herself, and no, how old is this girl?
Speaker 1: She says, I'm Corey, I'm sixteen, and I'm going to Atlantic City to see an R rated movie. Corey gets up, Let me help you make the matinee and he aggressively pushes the car down. We don't know how, and she screams, Daddy. Alan appears right on time, watching Morgan's speed away in the distance. Wow, we'll get her.
Speaker 4: Go.
Speaker 1: Corey awkwardly says hi, and Alan responds, look, I know I told you a couple of hours, but one thing led to another. You know how it is? Corey actually tells him No, I have never actually had the car, so I don't know how it is. Alan hands Corey the keys. The car is yours. Go do what you want to do. Frustrated, Corey follows his dad into the house. What I want I wanted to do was go on a road trip with Sewan and Tepanga, who waited here for five hours and then realized they had lives and went home. Alan responds, I know in no car they went home.
Speaker 4: And is this supposed to be the same day as I'm trying to remember the same day as Chubby's in the very beginning.
Speaker 1: No, tomorrow, that was birthday tomorrow, so he woke up.
Speaker 2: In the morning.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to get the time he woke up in the morning. He went they got the license, got it at like eleven o'clock in the morning. He comes back in the store, Eric store this morning.
Speaker 1: The Mathews were cleaning up breakfast plates, right, so figure Alan gets back in the morning.
Speaker 4: Five o'clock at night now five five thirty, and he's like, he's taking the whole day kind of.
Speaker 3: Thing, and he's had two major plans a birthday dinner at Chubby's which was hought to reveal, and birthday breakfast post driving test. And he didn't tell Corey any of this. I mean, I kind of feel like Alan has a little bit of respond At first, I was like, come on, this is the I still thought the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's like, you're not saying But then he addresses that later, which I like is Alan says, you know, in all fairness, I didn't actually.
Speaker 1: Keep tell tell you stuff was gonna happen.
Speaker 4: So I like that they at least brought that one point up, as opposed to.
Speaker 1: They all, yeah, they do at least acknowledge that. Yeah, Alan responds, fine, go pick them up, take them for a drive, just make sure you're back in time for your birthday dinner. Corey gets upset. No, there was nothing ever mentioned about a birthday dinner. Alan asks why anyone would have to mention it. They've had dinner on his birthday every year since he's been alive. Corey emphasizes, I've never been alive with a license, so this year road trip. Alan doesn't back down. We'll see you at Chubby's in forty five minutes. Chubbies, where else would they go of? Corey shouts, Dad, that's barely even worth it. Alan has heard enough. Fine, give me the keys. Corey angrily hands them over, and Alan walks out. Eric, who saw the whole fight unfold, asks Corey, what's the matter? Birthday?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 1: Something got you terribly, terribly sad? Did you also see me?
Speaker 2: So I saw you were their fight. You can see me walking in the background, and then.
Speaker 4: You don't see me for I like, I'm obviously just waiting outside for you. By then there's a big pause before the actor.
Speaker 1: But you know what's funny is that I did think unless you have been on that set, I don't know that the timing feels off to anyone else. Think exactly how it would take for you to have come from the upper.
Speaker 4: Part of that I was hiding. But for everywhere else it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 2: It makes for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 2: Get ready for some soda can acting. Oh yeah, here it comes. I always do the tap tap, I do that in real life.
Speaker 1: Realized. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I just love watching you do your bits is.
Speaker 4: And I got a toothpick for a toothpick, You're just freaking Brad Pitt over here with your business.
Speaker 3: No, totally, it's great. It's it's I just love it because I could see it for what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I thought the same one a business going on.
Speaker 3: But it makes me It does make it more casual, you know, because otherwise, what are you doing, Like you literally are walking into the kitchen and then have line expository you know, having this expository seat with Cory. But it works because you're like just hanging out and doing my happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cory starts when you were sixteen, Eric cuts him off. Yeah, I had the same great hair. This feels a little bit like the old Cory and Eric.
Speaker 4: Felt the same way, did you, Yeah, it was that same old dynamic. That's one of the things I liked about this episode was it was like a father son episode Corey and Alan and snarky older brother. Eric, Yeah, wisdom Feenie, but wisdom for Alan. Yeah, it was. It was a modern take on an old school Boy Eats World episode and again up there yes, a whole lot of logistical problems, but the actual vibe of it I liked to totally.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's interesting, like the is this the most conflict we've had between Alan and Corey?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the episode that this goes back to is the the Boxing Gloves.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it's the gold the Golden Gloves one, but.
Speaker 4: That was more uh, Corey doing something dangerous to avoid the confrontation, right, as opposed to them going at it. I think this is really the first time where they because even Tapangy even says, you and your dad always have a good relationship.
Speaker 1: Right, the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: So this is it is that kind of angsty father son thing, which is great.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen that, Yeah, Corey continues, Did dad still treat you like you were six? Eric admits no, it made him feel old and he went out and bought a cemetery plot. But it's not nearly as bad as he's treating you. Corey responds, because he likes you better. Eric doesn't sugarcoat it. Yep, that and he still had you around. Corey doesn't get it, he still has Morgan. Eric blains you're his last son, son, how you're old enough to drive away and leave him alone with Morgan? Who goes to and Corey finishes art class art art for girls.
Speaker 3: For men and boys? Who does art hand? And now where did Morgan come from? She was last scene in traffic in her car. She literally stop to get.
Speaker 4: Her laundry, not to pick up her laundry in her little car.
Speaker 3: Think about it as in right, she actually had to make a quick change because this is all one scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, it was out in the backyard, so we shot it separately, I mean, unless we did a camera, unless we swung a camera at the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but it's all supposed to be fault right, I mean when we walked into the kitchen and then she appears.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: My guess is yeah they did because if memory serves that, when he pushes her car, her car was.
Speaker 1: On a rope and pulley system.
Speaker 4: So they pulled it towards the cameras because they wouldn't just let him really nearly kick.
Speaker 2: It out and whatever happened, they kind of guided it.
Speaker 4: So they probably did that almost as a stunt, so we probably shot that once or twice.
Speaker 2: It wasn't to get dressed.
Speaker 3: But as far as the show is logic that the show makes me absolutely And she's also not going to ballet class because they're going to the dinner, So why is she dressed in her ballet outfit. She's just dressed in this to dance, to hang out. It's a television show, right man. But this is where I was like, none of this is making for me, Like all the time, it doesn't make any sense. Yeah, it's like a series of good scenes, it's in the scene itself, but the setup it's like it's just not rigorous.
Speaker 2: And I was a little bummed by that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, and this was that I get the visual joke of her and her yeah git hard. It's it's funny, but yeah, at the sacrifice of any logic.
Speaker 4: So having not sorry but not having children at all. I also get that. For I don't think one's I don't think they're trying to say that one's better or worse than another. I think it's definitely fathers and sons and fathers and daughters.
Speaker 2: No, they're not.
Speaker 4: I think just the father daughter father son relationship is different. I would imagine it would be, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I mean, sure it's different. But the idea that he's only sad because it won't be the same to take Morgan to get her driver's license, like, it's weird.
Speaker 4: It's like again I imagine, because it's like it's a father and his boy. It's like, this is my boy. I'm taking my boy to go get his driver's license. Where it's like, you know, it's my daughter. It's again, I don't have.
Speaker 2: Kids at all. And ballet, which.
Speaker 3: Art, he doesn't like it. It's like, therefore he's not going to love her. It's like, I don't know ballet.
Speaker 1: I guess I get what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Art makes no sense. It's like, what, you can't be a male art first of all. Also talk to Bryshnikoff about being a male ballet dancer. But it is, Yeah, the whole thing is very it's the nineties stereotypical exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Eric tells him the only reason he ain't cruising down the turnpike with his arm around to Panga and Sean in the backing Woo woo woo is because Morgan's his first daughter and not his third son.
Speaker 4: Why so many a wugas and woo woos in this episode, as this happened several times.
Speaker 1: I love them. I don't know the sounds. There's so funny, there's so many. Also this runner of the sun Son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also odd, a little bit of a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of an odd choice with some runners. I have another one later that I'll mention. Uh So, Cory turns to look at Morgan, who now has a juice box, and she says what And then there's a bit of an optical flip to the Matthews living room and we see Morgan still in her ballet uniform, but now it's paired with a football helmet. Corey's crouched behind her as a quarterback set hike. He waits a second and then throws it at her back. She complains, why'd you do that? He explains, because I called a button hook you woman. That's actually then.
Speaker 4: They also last forty five minutes, and you're right. She's still in her ballet outfit and now they're playing football.
Speaker 1: And she says, right in the scene, I have to go change for your party, So why did she put it on to make the joke? Morgan's had it. If you don't stop yelling, I'm going upstairs to play with Barbie and Skipper. Corey pleads don't, please, don't do that, and he grabs a pair of boxing gloves, forcing them on Morgan's hands. He instructs her to hit him. She then sends a right hook to his face, throwing him over the couch. He heels from the floor. Now we're getting somewhere. Morgan tells him, I have to change into my party dress for your party. Corey emphasizes, no dress wear pants, keep the helmet on, and call a doctor. And that's where we know the greatest woman is a man. And then I do think.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is cute to see Lindsay running around like with.
Speaker 3: The helmet, I mean totally yeah, that is torrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is she even see her in the party scene?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: She's there, Yeah, she's there, she is she is She's sitting across from Allan. Okay, no, wait to pink is sitting across from Ellen. She's got to be across from Betsy. Is she in the scene?
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure she's in the scene.
Speaker 2: Barely on camera.
Speaker 3: She's in like, gotcha the wide shot and then the rest footage. Yeah, the coverage goes to the other side, so you don't really see her.
Speaker 1: So then we're in Chubbies. The camera flips again, revealing Sean and Corey at Chubbys. Shawn whispers, I don't want you to think I'm not having a dandy time at Chubby's where we always went because we could walk here. But could we just do the cake thing and then hit the open road? And this is the first time I think we've acknowledged that we live within.
Speaker 2: Walking distance of Chubbies.
Speaker 1: Cool, yeah, pretty cool. Tapangaleens in to join the conversation. Can you stop telling Corey to ditch his own birthday party? And then she scolds Corey, put a smile on your face and behave yourself. So now I have taken on the role of nagging woman, which I only imagine means Betsy should be in a bikini. Then we have all three, right, and then we would have all three of the of the types of women that exist in the world, a nag, a manly woman, and a hot woman.
Speaker 4: Well, no, we were all there, actually missing the hot woman because you've taken over nagging. Betsy can still be mom because there is just mom.
Speaker 1: You're right, you are allowed to just be a mom.
Speaker 2: You're allowed to just be the mom.
Speaker 1: Sometimes mom is mom and a nag. But I'm hot. But you're right.
Speaker 4: You can do you can do sub sections of those three categories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, exactly.
Speaker 1: Alan leans in to join the conversation. We rented the room. We don't have to whisper. The camera widens and we see the table consists of Corey to Pangashan, Alan, Amy, and I wrote Morgan, so Morgan was Therember. Corey apologizes and thanks his family for the party. But there's this movie we're trying to make. Alan asks what movie? One hundred and one Dalmatians. Sean tells Corey to grow up. We're going to see the new Van dam movie. Alan knows, wouldn't that be an R rated movie. Corey pleads, come on, I'm sixteen, I'm not a little kid anymore. And then the same waitress we saw earlier walks in. Here's your clown burger. I told them it was your birthday, so they threw in an extra hat and Corey shouts whoo, and then trying to hide his excitement. Let's out a monotone. It's really cute. Alan tells the son. Understand, you're sixteen, and yet you have to be seventeen to get in without an adult. Corey's defeated. Fine, no movie.
Speaker 2: Alan as weird out by the set as I was, Yeah, the fourth wall, and it's really small.
Speaker 3: It looked almost like green screen because of the way that the It's like, yeah, so they brought in a wall behind Alan and Amy and it doesn't like fill in all the space. But yeah, it's it's just bizarre. I was like it was it was happening in my head, and I was like, are we in Chubbies. I almost wish we had just either done it in the main room of Chubbies or just created the new restaurant sets.
Speaker 1: I thought we were in my head, we were in the same room as the room with the pool table, you know that.
Speaker 2: I thought that it's supposed to be, well, that's where.
Speaker 1: We shot it, but like it's not. It's actually supposed to be like a separate room, a private dining room in Chubbies. That's somewhere maybe in the back, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's the one to the left past the phone.
Speaker 1: I know like that. Why can't we just say another restaurant and then just be in a different spot exactly.
Speaker 2: They could have dressed this exact room with a different Chewbay's and made it a franchise a chew Bays.
Speaker 1: You're right, well, Alan thanks him, and Sean assures, no, Biggie, there's got to be tons of other stuff we can do in Atlantic City. He nudges Cory, let's hit those tables. Huh. Corey knows this isn't going to help their case. You really don't want to do anything at all, do you, Alan says he's not just going to give his blessing to sneak into an R rated movie in a different state. Amy tries to calm him down, but Corey shouts back that he wasn't asking for his blessing. He just wanted to go somewhere with his friends. Alan scolds his son, you think because you got a license, you can do whatever you want. Corey eels, no, he doesn't care where he goes with his friends. He just wants to go. Alan, now, in that calm, mad dad way, says, I'll tell you what you want to go on a road trip with your friends? That's the first adult decision you're going to make. He sets the keys on the table. There you go, pal, Corey stares his dad down before grabbing the keys and telling his friends it's time to go. Tapanga hesitantly stands up and tells.
Speaker 3: Amy al she like you the way Corey articulates this. I just want to go somewhere. Do you guys remember getting in your car and just car? Of course, we talked about your dire, we talked about you and me driving and just like parking up. And I remember so many nights where I would get in my car go pick up a friend or two, and then we'd.
Speaker 2: Be like, where are we going? And we have nowhere to go? And it just didn't matter.
Speaker 3: It was just a car. I would give you that. I'd be like, wait where we car? Just we have to go somewhere.
Speaker 4: I still do that on occasion, really ye. On occasion, I'll be like, I'm just going for a drive.
Speaker 2: She's like yeah, and it's so interesting. I have no no goal in mine.
Speaker 4: I'll just take different roads and drive around sometimes. Oh and not only that, but I'm doing it in a big suv and I stop every about every mile just to burn a thing of gasoline and oil.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 4: I just I just bring I bring gas and oil in the back and I just put it in.
Speaker 2: The tone.
Speaker 1: Also runs over dogs. He just sees them in the.
Speaker 2: Would never dogs. I'd hit a person before I hit a dog. My God.
Speaker 1: I can honestly say, I think the greatest memory years of my life, like if I had to say, like the greatest times of my life that I felt at that time were sixteen and seventeen, when I first had my license and I first learned to drive. And we used to do a family reunion every year where family who lives in San Francisco and we lived in Orange County. We would meet in San Luis Obispo because it's exactly the halfway point. And I would sometimes my family would leave before me because I was working on Boy Meets World, and so they'd go up on like Thursday night, and I wouldn't be able to go until we were done on Friday. So I'd drive by myself from where we were working in La to San Luis Obispo, listening to Snoop Dogg's Doggie Style with my windows down and just the best times of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Beto me. I was driving up and down the stags all the time.
Speaker 1: You were going from northern Califorea.
Speaker 2: Time, and I loved it. I would choose to drive as opposed to flying because it was just.
Speaker 4: The freedom and the car and it's quiet and it's just you and you're in control of everything, the music and the speed.
Speaker 2: That's one of the reasons I love.
Speaker 4: Still having my first car is I can still go back and kind of recapture that feeling of being in my first car.
Speaker 1: Still it's just the greatest, just the greatest. The Pega stands up and hesitantly tells them, I don't know. Part of me knows I shouldn't get in that car with them. And then there's the other side of me, which isn't sensible or mature at all, who wants to get in that car with them and go, oh, I just run through it. And I have a jacket on so I can't act. And I think she don't have a jacket on them.
Speaker 3: Care if you had played there's any bigger, like, if you had committed to it more, it would have been a worse.
Speaker 1: I could have at least slowed down. I could have at least pronunciated my words enunciated. It's enunciated. I said, pronunciad enunciate, and pronounce became pronunciate. Well, that's what list from now on.
Speaker 4: I also like that they're at least acknowledging to Panga's character, Yes.
Speaker 2: That she has a little bit of a something at least, and it makes sense right she would be the rule follower.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. So she concludes, thank you for your attention at this very difficult time. Amy asks her husband, Funny, you were going to go after them, aren't you? Alan says no, he is not. On cue, Eric walks in holding a cord Mustang shaped birthday cake.
Speaker 3: This is where I was just like, God, damn, I love Eric. You're so damn likable. So it's like your position on this show is so wonderful that it's like we had this really dramatic scene and then it's just like I'm already anything you do, Like you just walk into that room and I'm like, oh, what a breath of fresh air. Wheelism, Like it's just so it's so good, Like the chemistry and like the arrangement of this character into this dynamic. I just like I'm like already, like I love anything, no matter what. You nail it with the birthday song, and it's great. But I was just like, oh, it was such a warm feeling I had for you, you know, And it's.
Speaker 4: That it was so great when I was still doing cameos, this was my go to song for everybody's happy birthday. So I've setten this song eight hundred thousand times.
Speaker 2: And the irony is we did this because you could.
Speaker 1: We can't afford now.
Speaker 2: But back then you had to pay, so you can nervous you anymore. That's no.
Speaker 3: They finally released their family released the license. Yeah, but yeah, up until that's why in movies all throughout, like movies up until ten years ago or whatever, they all would always start Happy Birthday and it would get cut off. So you'd start happy and you would never get all eight notes. Is if you hit eight notes or.
Speaker 4: There's a different version of the song, you would do that to. It's like, yeah, it is so great.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't know they released it. That's good news. Yeah, happy birthday too you that's free.
Speaker 1: So Eric is singing and now classic rendition of Happy Birthday. Eric finishes his song, his vision covered by the dessert and when he realizes Corey isn't there. He asks, I miss something, didn't I? Well, sing the Happy Birthday song for us.
Speaker 5: Oh gee, it's his day of birth, his first day on Earth. Happy bur er er Earth Day. Yeah, yeah, okay forever.
Speaker 1: And then we go to commercial. We come back. We are in Alan's car, Corey's driving with the Penga shotgun and Seawan in the back. Here we are on our own, driving down the open road, just me, my Topega and my Sean with a big full moon behind us. To Penga corrects him, those are headlights the car behind them monks, and Corey frantically yells, come around me, come around me please. He was so good everything about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually talked about.
Speaker 4: His performance, which is pretty great throughout this entire episode.
Speaker 2: We got me yea so good. But this come around me, come around me please.
Speaker 3: Oh it's and this is just so funny.
Speaker 1: It's so stinking me. Come around me please. Sean asks Corey to drive a little faster because there's about twenty cars jammed up behind them, and Corey explains, I happen to be cruising at what's it say? I can't look down or we'll crash to Penga reads eighteen miles an hour. Corey shocked, I'm up to eighteen. I hope this thing has air bags. They're passed by a bike and Corey finally tells them he'll go faster. How much farther to Atlantic City? Sean admits, what's the difference. We're all gonna die here.
Speaker 4: But Sean, your response where it's like, go around me to the bike and it already went okay.
Speaker 1: It's already. It's so good. That's great to Panga adds, I think we should call your folks and tell them we're okay. Corey refuses to call his dad. Kids have to call to Panga doesn't understand Corey and his dad have always gotten along great, He responds, because I've always been safe and dependable Corey. Well, tonight, a new Corey is born, dark, wild, Corey built for speed.
Speaker 2: I wanted him to say danger boy.
Speaker 3: I was like, come on, do a callback tonight, I'm danger or maybe like danger boy becomes danger man, like I want to. I just I wanted that callback because it's such an old school Corey line. It's like literally verbatim him in the roller Coaster episode. Yeah, I just it's so funny.
Speaker 1: The engine starts to roar as Corey picks up speed twenty four, twenty five, twenty six, he smiles, look at me, I'm breaking the law, and then right on cue, which has become a bit of a trope in this episode, sirens go off behind him. Corey admits, we all saw that coming out.
Speaker 2: I'll saw that coming.
Speaker 1: Now we're in a courtroom, new Settlert. The gang enters, following a police officer. Corey says, with all due respect officer. He looks at his badge Dibble. I was on a country road going twenty six miles an hour. Dibble ads in a twenty five mile hour in a twenty five mile zone. Son Sean tells him to forget it. It's a stinking speed trap. Tapenga begs him to call his dad, but Corey refuses again, so Officer Dibble concludes, then I guess you'll see the judge. Corey scoffs one mile over and you call him the judge. Don't you people have anything better to do in this town? Dibble corrects him, it's not a town, it's a speed trap. A speech, he says, they can avoid tryaltogether if he just pays the fine, which is two hundred dollars. Corey laughs for on mile over. Officer dibble corrects him again, it's a speed trap. Is this not getting through to you? And then this is the runner, the second runner? Is this not getting through to you? Tipanga asks Tory again to call his dad. No way, I'm calling my dad. Is this not getting through to you? I'm not sure? Is this not getting through to you? Is funny?
Speaker 4: It's it almost sounded angry and dismissive to the way that he said it to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was a little little harsh.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe a punch. Cory sits down, ready to face the judge, and dibble yells all rise. The court of Judge Hubert Lamb is now in session. Cory asks Judge Lamb, I think I'll take my chances. And then we get the cameo of Dan Lauria, known to TV viewers as a very stern and angry father, and this leaves Corey speechless and terrified that.
Speaker 2: I wrote this part for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess I remember. I remember this being a conversation about, like we want.
Speaker 2: To a father son episode and we're going to get the famous far.
Speaker 1: To try it together.
Speaker 2: Brothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, man, like all the Judge stuff kind.
Speaker 2: Of I don't know. I didn't quite well, just I didn't.
Speaker 3: Quite always get it, like yeah, animals, the balloon animals. I mean, obviously the speed trap thing coming back at the end is it's like a brilliant yeah, like rterly thing, but on the whole and it's not really his performance. It's just a little like, I'm just not sure. Are we supposed to be scared by him? Are we supposed to think he's crazy? Is the idea that this whole town is crazy? Like it just it felt a little uh in between, like we didn't push it farther, like I don't know, I just didn't quite get it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I don't know. And I mean it's funny you mentioned the ending with the speed trap thing. I normally would have been really hit with the sentimentality of it, and instead I was like, oh, wordplay, it's a a bunch of wordplay in the end.
Speaker 3: And I was a little like, yeah, I just like, I don't know, how like our show on into Panga scared of this Corey, Like, we're sometimes supposed to be scared of this situation and we're supposed to laugh at it, and we're supposed to think the judge is really harsh, and then we're supposed to think he's kind of a kooky in person, and then he's like.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's like father figure. I just could not wrap my head around. And yeah, so that's.
Speaker 4: What Judge Lamb likes to do. He likes to keep you on your toes. That's Judge La.
Speaker 3: But if that was if the point of the scene is that, like every time we're in the scene, everybody like I do, like the all rise right after Corey sits right, Yeah, if that kind of thing had kept happening, Like it's just like every time we think we're in some situation.
Speaker 2: It completely changes. But it just wasn't big enough for me.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, It's it's not bad, it's just a little like I was just I felt a little lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Then we're in the Matthews house. There's real home video of Ben shown masquerading as Corey.
Speaker 2: It's so with wrestling figures. How great is that?
Speaker 1: What I said? I said, I can't believe they really he tied in wrestling, which we have absolutely sold as a passion and an interest of Cory's. And apparently Ben had wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Did you hear now? Could you hear the voice?
Speaker 4: So they had rusty dubbed voice exactly, there was some original voice over there. Well, now there's also some original voice from his family, and did you hear like he said, he's like and here's iron cheek. He's a good guy. And then you heard somebody in his family go, no, he isn't like he was. Yeah, you could hear you could hear different, like I.
Speaker 3: Remember when we played for the audience that still had the original audio, so really so yeah, when he makes the goal and we played it for the audience, the audience heard Ben's real dad saying.
Speaker 2: Ben, Ben, you did it.
Speaker 3: I remember I'm.
Speaker 2: Watching these and just thinking, oh my god, this is so. She was a horrible kid. Come on, cute little kid? Yeah, cute little kid?
Speaker 1: Oh man. And yeah, there's also visible Fred Fred in the background too. In one of the videos we see later, so we see footage of little Ben slash Corey's birthday, Alan sits on the couch smiling ear to ear, and then another video of Ben Slash Corey is shown now playing with his WWF LJN toys, telling us Iron Chic and Big John Studd are bad guys. And then Ben Slash Corey is playing soccer and he scores a goal. He's so happy, and then we're back on Boy Meets World. Amy walks down just as Alan's turning off the video. She puts her arm around him, assuring him that Corey is okay. Alan says, I know he's just trying to prove something to me, to us, I just feel bad. Amy defends Alan. You guys had plans. He broke them. Alan admits they didn't really have plans. He just assumed Corey would run and wake him up and drag him down to the DMV like he always used to wake him up and drag him places. Amy adds when he was and Alan finishes her thought younger. Amy reminds him when Corey was five years old, he dragged Alan out of bed to show him his lost tooth. Alan says, well, I miss that. Amy explains he's growing up. He's not doing anything wrong, and Alan grunts, well, I'm growing up too, Amy assures him, and you're not doing anything wrong either, she embraces him, just as Morgan walks downstairs. Mom, you're gonna help me do my hair? What? Alan volunteers? How about I help you do your hair? She's confused, Are you kidding me? Alan admits, yes, I am kidding you, and he plops back down on the couch.
Speaker 2: Kamie can't understand.
Speaker 1: Girls don't hair, men don't do hair. She's not gonna happen. Amy kisses him before she goes upstairs to help. Now alone again, Amy presses play on the home videos, and we see a slow motion video of little soccer playing Ben slash Corey waving, and then we're in the Matthew's backyard. Alan's looking down in the dumps holding a football, wishing he had three boys, and Poenie appears. I've got one thing to tell you, the sad.
Speaker 2: Dad, like these two scenes. I mean, I understand why we had to have you because Betsy had to be a part of this, and like, yeah, it's but it is all just out there listen in a post Malone.
Speaker 3: Uh huh No, it's the national He's it's full on set, like real.
Speaker 1: I've got one thing to tell you that's gonna make you feel real. Good. Then I've got another thing to tell you that's going to scare the hell out of you. Which one would you like first? Alan picks feel good. Phoene says, ultimately, the reason I never had a son is because of the sheer weight of responsibility for another human life is so enormous. I didn't know if I was up to it. Alan surprised, Come on, you're a teacher. Your whole life is about kids, Phoene corrects him, My job is about kids. My life is my own, unlike yours, which hasn't been your own since the day Eric was born. Alan asks if Phoene's calling him a hostage, and Phoenie exclaims, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You're a hostage to extreme emotional joys and disappointments, which your children will bring you for as long as you live. Alan connects, one day you're putting on training wheels, the next you're teaching them to drive. Of course, the first thing they want to do is drive away from you. There's the hell out of him. Alan then asks Phoenie for the part that's going to make him feel good, and Phoene wearily responds that was the good part.
Speaker 2: This whole scene, like the way he walks into.
Speaker 4: It, everything, yep, everything, It's just he walked him in a purpose like you could tell you just got to call, got to do with and we know exactly what, we know what.
Speaker 2: It is so funny and.
Speaker 3: Yet it's still a you know, beautiful sentiment. It's ye perfect, It's just this is a scene for the ages man. This is probably like top ten world scene for me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: The two of them together, two people that are just know their craft, playing off of each other and getting some free backstory about children, I.
Speaker 1: Guess for both of them, who have in their own ways, one as a father and one as an as a teacher, have spent now the better half of their lives to invested in raising children, and yet from different perspectives, just so great. So Alan inquires, how bad is it? George Phoenie says he just had a phone call from Corey. He calms Alan by saying he's all right, it's nothing like that. Alan's relieved until Feenie tells him he's on trial. He's on trial. His reading, he's on trial. He's on trial.
Speaker 3: And there's another logic point I was like, but if he's when did Corey get away to make the phone call?
Speaker 2: Like, I know, he's literally standing in front of the judge the whole time.
Speaker 3: Is that all happening? And then he says, Okay, hold on, Judge, I am gonna call someway.
Speaker 1: Can I get my phone call?
Speaker 4: I just want to I was like, I don't know, man, Again, the logic that it didn't logistically make sense this episode. The sentiment was there, and the acting was there, and some of the dialogue was there, but the.
Speaker 2: Logistics were kind of just all over the place. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then back in the courtroom, Officer Dibble tells the judge he clocked Corey's vehicle traveling in excess of the posted speed limit. Corey slams his hands on the table one mile over. Judge Lamb explains, the law is the law, boy, and we obey the law in my courtroom, and if you speak out a turn again, I'll hang you, he says as he holds.
Speaker 2: Up So what I mean this is? Again?
Speaker 3: I was like, it's a little news, so it's obviously, but it's also like supposed to be really be threading.
Speaker 2: It is kind of intense.
Speaker 1: It's like it's very, very threatening. I know, it's it's a little crazy. I was shocking. Corey wonders you would hang me on my birthday. The judge is surprised. It's your birthday under oath, Cory swears it. The judge slams his gavel. You want a dog or a hat. Corey's in shock because the judge starts to blow up a balloon, asking if he'd like a sword instead. We see Tapanga and Shawn an officer Dibble, who are just kind of standing there to Panga and Shawn are shocked. And that's obviously coverage we need so that Dan Lauria can be handed animal.
Speaker 2: Can do a lot of things. But he's apparently not a balloon artist. You made balloon animals. It's actually not that hard. It's pretty hard, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Like the twisting is you know, I mean, obviously it would be hard to do under the pressure of a scene. But I'm surprised we don't actually see him do any of the folding a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know what it is. It's not about being difficult. It's sound. Oh of course, yeah, it's the sound. So he eventually hands the sword to Corey. Sean gets permission to sidebar with him. Sean warns Corey, the first thing I learned on the street, which I also love on the street, is that any judge who spontaneously makes you balloon toys will, at the end of the day actually hang.
Speaker 2: You, actually hanging.
Speaker 1: Cory holds his sword close. It's mine and I'm not sharing it. Judge Lamb asks what brings a freshly licensed sixteen year old kid from Philly all the way out there? Corey explains, I wanted to drive, so I just drove. My dad refuses to accept that I'm not a little kid anymore. To Penga interaps, introducing herself to the judge. She will pay Corey's fine if he just tells her where the nearest ATM is located, and Teppanga is rich. The judge laughs, there's no ATM. They're in the middle of nowhere, and this feels like a poor business plan for a speed trap. There must be an easier way to get money.
Speaker 2: Also, couldn't Tapega have offered this the second they walked in?
Speaker 1: Well, sure, but she was trying to get him to call her dad, so I at least go with the idea of she wants him to call your dad. She's been wanting to call him since the car ride.
Speaker 3: We should let them know, and he says, I'll not call him my dad. Okay, well, then let me just write a check or get some cash out.
Speaker 1: But they don't have a ATM, which again for a speed trap town who's clearly trying to make money. I feel like there's a better business plan, Tapanga pleads. Is all I can say is Corey is a very nice boy who never hurt anybody, and if you do anything to him on his first day of driving, then I just think you are a mean mean Judge Lamb slams his gavel down, cutting to Panga off dogger hat. She excitedly responds, can it be a princess.
Speaker 2: At because she's girly funny.
Speaker 1: I'm into ballet and art. The judge grants her request. Topanga puts the extremely tall and purple balloon hat on her head and she sits back down with Sean satisfied, and then Alan walks into the courtroom. The judge notices, but Corey and the gang do not. Judge Lamb tells Corey he'll drop all charges if he takes this quarter and calls his dad to tell him he was wrong?
Speaker 2: No, how long is this trial? But also like, how does he know?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think maybe he assumes it's his tad, but does the has the judge known everything about the whole father son conflict?
Speaker 1: Now he just that just that he says, my dad refuses to let me grow up. That's why, and that's why he handed up here. He did say that my dad refuses to believe that I've grown up. I just wanted to drive with my friends. And in the way that adults on this show seemed to know.
Speaker 2: Everything and be able to like psychically communicate.
Speaker 1: He and but also now the judge is going to give him a quarter to make a phone call. But earlier we know that Corey apparently had a quarter and made a phone call to How would the judge know that he didn't already call Allan?
Speaker 2: And it would have been so much easier had if Piene just said I just had a call from Sean or I just had a call from.
Speaker 4: Topanga and all of it solved. That's all you need. One of them walked out and made the phone call. But he said I had a call from Corey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it would have been a nice way to involve us.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about Rusty's jacketsible?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it jacket? No?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's reversible. I think it's just a cool denim jacket with like interesting flare because it looks like there's a possibility that you can always like it and make an actual Jeane jacket on.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 3: But man, I just loved it. I was like, I want this right now. I would wear that today. I'm, you know, basically trying to get that look right in here.
Speaker 1: Like, man, so you are the Alan Matthews of our podcast. Yeah, it's true. What what are we? The Dan Lord Golden Retrievers. Okay, Corey refuses, he doesn't believe he's wrong. Alan reveals himself. I don't believe I'm wrong either. Corey says he didn't need to come there. Alan scolds him. George Foeney told me you called You should have called me, Corey asks, so you could prove once again what a little helpless kid I am. Alan sternly responds, you will always be my son, whether you are six or sixty, and your problem is my problem. I am always going to be there for you. Corey shouts back, I want you to treat me like an adult. And then the judge intervenes, I've heard enough. Corey Matthews and Corey Matthews's father approach the bench. They take their spots, and he declares, I hereby sentence you to two years. Corey is confused. Today is your sixteenth birthday. Son. That means you have two more years of being a kid. You're luckier than most who appear before me. He then turns to Alan and I sentence you to take those two years and cherish them because they go by too fast. Alan agrees they do, don't they. The judge smiles. It's a speed trap wordplay, wordplay episode. We get a freeze frame of Corey and Allen looking at each other. Freeze frame.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting episode because it really is like so thematic. Yeah, yeah, because Corey and his dad don't actually.
Speaker 2: They don't really resolve.
Speaker 3: They just sort of get more comfortable with their situation. Right, They just both have to acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: They have to one of them from the other person's side. Right, That's all. That's all it is.
Speaker 1: You know what I just remembered.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Michael Jacobs is a huge fan of He was a huge fan of the Twilight Zone really uh huh, big big fan of the Twilight Zone, and a couple there were a couple of episodes in particular that were his like favorite favorite. But I think in a lot of ways this episode, now that I think about it, with the weird town and the all the things that.
Speaker 2: Are altering universe to play out there, Yes.
Speaker 1: I feel like this was obviously it's a Jeff Sherman episode, but I feel like Michael may have taken some Twilight Zone, you know, because it also just feels like the You could say that the entire episode was somebody saying I want to do an episode about how raising children is a speed trap, and you could picture somebody driving and like going through a speed trap, and then Michael like thinking about it and being like, just like, I guess, like life, the real speed trap is raising children, and that is this That's the elevator pitch of this episode.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the elevator pitch of this episode is always Corey gets his license. True, that's because they do that in every sitcom, So Corey gets sure.
Speaker 1: But for the Boy meets World of it All, just an episode where it's about more than that. It's about how you know, driving, growing up too fast in the years and the missing out and all of that.
Speaker 3: So it's such a counterpoint to eric A license episode, though, which was just wrong, right, Like that was literally just I mean, it's the same situation, right, somebody gets their license and gets in trouble, or in Eric's doesn't actually get his license and still gets But in both cases you have teenagers getting their license or almost getting their license and then having a night out, and one becomes like a farce comedy of situation, and this one really just becomes thematic drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yep, absolutely. So then we're in the tag, we're in the Matthews living room. We see another home video of young Ben slash Corey playing, this time driving joy car.
Speaker 2: This won't hurt my head a little bit because seeing like a real living room like that was obviously not the Matthews living.
Speaker 1: Room, right at least not their first not the one we see their old house.
Speaker 3: I gout, but it just looks so real. It's like a real and I was like, and then we cut to our like very stagey set and I was like, this is this feels weird, Like I don't mind, like the videos when they were outside. But when we're like, can see somebody's living room with like people million about in the back, I was like, Oh, that feels so much more real than our show, which is just like an odd like I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, but you can't pass up an opportunity when you have real life Ben baby Ben a car in a video.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: And then we're back on the sitcom. We see the Corey and Allen are watching the video together. Alan Pats's son on the show and wishes him a happy birthday. Corey thanks him and then asks when Alan thinks there will be tension between them again, which I thought was like, who says that?
Speaker 2: Who doesn't?
Speaker 1: When do you think we'll fight next?
Speaker 3: Michael jacobsy character, Now that I'm sixteen, I'm feeling this way about my.
Speaker 1: And we've resolved this conflict, Our next conflict will be it's just very interesting. So Alan admits, the next time we fight, it'll be over your choice of college. They start to nudge each other, play fighting. Corey tells his dad he's not going to college. Alan pushes back, then it'll be over the job you get, Corey tells him circus clown. Alan continues messing with him. I guess it'll be over the woman you're gonna marry. Corey gets serious to Panga and I have already run off to Vegas. Alan shouts to Amy and she yells right back, no more kids. Alan looks at Corey and shrugs, I guess I'm stuck. Corey agrees, and the two start to pretend fight again. We end on a freeze frame of Corey's feet jumping in the air and Alan's fists ready to throw a few punches.
Speaker 2: And luckily Alan does have another boy later.
Speaker 1: He sure does. Later in the series, he ends up with another son. Thank so you don't have to worry. He's not stuck.
Speaker 2: He can do it all again with another kid he loves. It's cute to see Ben and Rusty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fighting wrestling Mott daddy kids.
Speaker 2: This is the way they actually were on set too.
Speaker 1: They were they were like, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeats World. Our next episode recap will be season four, episode fifteen, a little episode you may have heard of called Chick Like Me.
Speaker 4: Famous episode alert fame so many I know one after Have you snuck forward a little bit just to see the titles of the episodes coming up on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: We've got the Cult one, the Cult.
Speaker 4: Ones coming up. Long Walk to Pittsburgh one. It's like Chick Like Me is coming up. It is Security Guy is coming up one after another.
Speaker 1: When you figure this, this next one, Check Like Me is four fifteen, So we have like seven episodes and yet they're all going to be like IC Seriously, it's banger after banger. It's crazy, pretty crazy as always. You can follow us on Instagram Pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com and we have merch.
Speaker 2: I want my Christmas presents from you, writer.
Speaker 1: March Oodmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all. Pod dismissed.
Speaker 3: Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubach, producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and boy meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show, or email us at podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.