Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas. Fuck's in for Dan and the guys here and listen. You can normally hear us Monday through Friday before the Dan Patrick Show six am Eastern Time, three o'clock Pacific. But we are in for DP and crew here on this Thursday.
Speaker 3: Super big pause right there, my guys, super big pause.
Speaker 4: I knew it, but I get it, Dan Patrick?
Speaker 2: But how the hell are we feeling here on a Thursday morning. I've got a bone to pick with. Yeah, kitchen here in the studio.
Speaker 4: You're just touching all all of them, aren't you? Pause?
Speaker 3: What we got a problem in the kitchen? Go to what's going on in the kitchen. They don't have espresso in the kitchen. I you are not a Viking like you said you are.
Speaker 4: What do you no?
Speaker 3: I just want to I'm a Viking. I go up in that son of a gun. I grab these little styberfoam cups. I put it up under there. I put the dang thing in there. Boom, something comes out, something more comes out. I drink it all right. They don't have an express. I guess you'll be saying they don't have they don't have a froth either.
Speaker 4: I mean, why am I not able to froth?
Speaker 2: Here's here's the issue, and I will be accountable for you are the issue.
Speaker 3: So I brew my coffee at home, and you know how do you brew it?
Speaker 5: Exactly? Do you brew it?
Speaker 3: It drips, there is no there is no.
Speaker 5: You gotta get.
Speaker 3: Perfect shout in the kitchen and you drink.
Speaker 2: So I'm not one of these instant coffee makers where you throw a pot in and it comes out. Now, I'm old school. I like to see the coffee and you want to press it. I like for I like for it to earn its places like that.
Speaker 6: Actually the old school, by the way, Like wouldn't there'd be something more old school than that, Like once you actually grind down actually you know then you put it in, you press it, but you don't that you don't actually grind down the beach.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, yeah no, that won't be happening.
Speaker 5: No. And I've also said, you're not really that old school.
Speaker 2: And I've also done the instant coffee, uh the in laws, Like if you do it.
Speaker 4: The right way, you can do instant coffee.
Speaker 3: Really really poor grinds in and you've got to stir it yourself. It's very like the whole thing just doesn't a it's disgusting, it's it looks disgusting. French press is dope, you know that's saying. But like Jonahs doesn't do that. It doesn't work that hard, you know.
Speaker 5: All French.
Speaker 3: But I grew up on instant coffee shots out the Carolin Arrington, Carolyn Kaser Arrington. And if you don't, huh, you just gave her middle Damn No, that's her mate name. She doesn't have a middle name. Q. It's like that old school that, like, yeah, she doesn't have a middle name. Interesting, you know, it's crazy. My mother in law doesn't have a middle name either. Really, yeah, they don't have middle names. Maybe they do, they're just kind of coincidence now they're not ashamed of their name. They don't happen to have one. I think if your dad's name is what was your dad's name?
Speaker 5: Middle name?
Speaker 4: Willis?
Speaker 3: I mean, what's wrong with that? Like Willis reed, what's wrong with Willis? What you're talking about Will talk about Willis. I don't think there's a problem with Willis. What's his first name? Come on man, Carls Charles Willis, there's nothing wrong with that name.
Speaker 2: I agreed, but I think he had a problem with it, which is why he named one of his sons Tyrone.
Speaker 3: Which is weird. Why would you take it out on your child. If he had to wear it, he's gonna wear it. I think the name Tyrone is kind of tough to be. Yeah, I think it's kind of tough. I didn't, man, I'm sorry. I just irock it. I vibe with Tyrone. But the point is, you have.
Speaker 4: A natural nickname.
Speaker 3: If you have a name that has a natural nickname built into it, what's the what's the first name? You meet him? First dad, school, he become your homie. What what are you calling him the rest of the way? Come on, man, come on man, yo, Tie, let's get him. And that's a tough name. Like if you call in Tie off of the sideline to come help you out with with the swing on on the on the No, don't say the whole. If you say the whole name, it's real business. It's real business. But if you hit it with I'm gonna hit Tie. Oh No, you want to swing, you can swing. You can have to swing, except well, we will wait, you call it tie off the sideline.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: You just know that mother lover can handle himself. And it's already it's already stated. So I'm just saying, and Willis, come on man tying Willis. Nah, I ain't playing with that. I don't want to see that trouble smoke.
Speaker 4: I don't want.
Speaker 3: All right, well, here's the smoke. I don't want what you don't want. I don't want to have to deal with the fact that I forgot to add espresso into my coffee this morning.
Speaker 5: And I come in and.
Speaker 3: I assume that the kitchen in there has got a little express so button on that on that whatever that Cokamimi set up is there.
Speaker 5: They don't.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 2: They got lattes, cappuccinos, but they don't have the real deal. They got mocha, they don't have the real deal. So a little disappointed in the in the effort. But they did fix a toilet. I don't know if anybody saw that brand new toilet. Really the bathroom, n I try not to go in there too often. Every once in a while get up in there, but not too often. So that's good to hear. Though Brandon, I might give it a run, you know best you will here.
Speaker 3: You are drink these every day, bro, Like it's not like it. Oh you're off to a good start. Like I drink this every day looks like mud. Like I'm drinking something that looks like mud because I'm a Viking, baby, a Norseman.
Speaker 4: Let's jump out there, let's get on the waves. Do you say for see?
Speaker 3: Do you have some Viking in you? I said, I told you I do. Really yeah, bru, Yeah.
Speaker 5: What's tel?
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 5: What's the Errington son.
Speaker 4: And Ragnar son of Errington? Stay?
Speaker 3: Uh, we'd just get after it, baby, big just big Axe is slaying it. Well, yeah, I have a belief that if the Philadelphia Eagles trip son of I played for the Philadelphia Eagles. Well, I think if we win Super Bowls, Slate Chiefs, if the Eagles took a twenty three and meters, they'd see a lot of Italian And then what would you say of Italy?
Speaker 4: There you Italian dog.
Speaker 2: Kevin Patulo is now the brand new offensive coordinator in Philly.
Speaker 4: There's the common He was promoted.
Speaker 3: There from within and so you got Sirianni Petullo, Fangio, big dumb I mean, listen, crime.
Speaker 4: Family up in Philly.
Speaker 2: If yeah, if the NFL ever goes Daaly, you know who's playing it.
Speaker 3: The ambassadors of Italy. Brady take a bow. Guys, you're taking over.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I had yesterday, did you it was good?
Speaker 5: You were preparing for today's show.
Speaker 4: I guess so I.
Speaker 6: I look at this higher and I think you know that this wi end up working out for them. However, last time they hired from within Brian Johnson, it didn't quite work out, and so you kind of wonder if if that could potentially play an impact, you know, on this, or if that plays and any role whatsoever.
Speaker 5: But at least for the Philadelphia Eagle.
Speaker 6: From the Philadelphia Eagle standpoint, they're coming off a super Bowl. They're they're going to be a team that I think, you know it still has a decent amount that want to prove, but a lot that want to carry over from what they did last year. So, you know, elevating him from a guy who's already a pass game coordinator associate head coach title last year, you know, into this OC position, you got to trust that they're gonna be He's gonna be ready for this. But again, recent history shows us that the last time they hired from within didn't quite work out. So I think that's the only concern is that outside of that though, you know Howie Roseman we keep talking about throwing a bouquet of flowers at He's always involved in these decisions, and I'm sure he's involved in this one too. And if he feels confident in his ability to be able to take that next step and b the OC, you know, more power to him then, and then they probably are going to get it right, because more often than not he has got it right.
Speaker 3: I just think, Hey, they have such a positive structure involved, the positive culture going on right now. And while I'll say success is always fleeing right like you're only as good as what you've done for somebody lately. And and if anybody knows that, Nick Sirianni knows that, I think right now the vibes are so good and so positive, and they have so much stability and in their personnel, it would be it's like messing up a fried chicken wing, you know what I mean, Like that's hard to mess up. You know where you're at right now. Some people may relate, but some people may not.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just saying you season it the right way, and don't don't get carried away, even if you even if you try to figure out how to bread it, don't get carried away. On what you do. Drop that bad boy into the grease and let it. Let it cook. You tell you, and listen unless you go all the way to the end of where you just totally burn that wing, really fried.
Speaker 4: Hard wings are not bad.
Speaker 5: It loves it.
Speaker 4: He loves it Johnson.
Speaker 3: So to me where they're at right now, I think it would be hard for them to mess up a move like this to promote, And in fact, this would be the perfect time if you're going to promote from inside and internal, this would be the time to do it, because it just looks like everybody is on the same wavelength, the same frequency. So that's what I would say. I think it's important when you make big moves, especially in success, you're not doing something that could clearly disrupt the chemistry. And I think that that's why it would be the thought process of not bringing someone from the outside into the mix.
Speaker 2: Well, a good thing about Philly is, you know, if it doesn't work, hey, you will probably will get a year two anyways, so they'll get you up out of there pretty quick, as they've done in the past.
Speaker 3: I just that's a pretty what you mean now off him?
Speaker 5: Well, it's not like Brian Johnson only got one year.
Speaker 4: They're whacking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I meant one year and they made the playoffs like that, forget about it.
Speaker 3: They've made the playoffs. So I was like, yeah, we'll see you hey, forget about it. Yeah, nice, nice knowing you. But that is the the situation there in Philly for the Eagles. A mickey, I'm a Mickey. Hey a Mickey. Go pay him a visit.
Speaker 4: By the way, he made the wrong decision. Hey hey, hey Dom, your buddies with Big Dom? Hey Dom, go pay him a visit.
Speaker 5: Get it bad? Does big Dom get a ring?
Speaker 3: Hell? Yeah, he gets a ring, yes, and probably a bonus. Okay, why wouldn't he. I mean he's a major part of their staff. Really, yes. Look up his like his his his titles. He's got like multiple titles. He's like a security guard. That's what he started out as. He's like, he's got like titles.
Speaker 2: Now, bro Lee, can you look up Big Dom's titles in Philadelphia to see whether or not a warrants him getting a ring.
Speaker 3: Warned. This important stuff here.
Speaker 7: Nowadays, he's considered the director of game day coaching operations.
Speaker 4: Noam, that means he kids all in line.
Speaker 5: He plugs the headset in.
Speaker 7: He did start out as the assistant to the chief security officer.
Speaker 4: He worked, he worked.
Speaker 3: His way on up. Br He've been Bruh. That's like, that's a long ass time ago back and when ninety nine to two eleven, and that's when I was coming out.
Speaker 4: He's been there before. He's outlasted me.
Speaker 7: He's also listed as a senior advisor to the general manager. There you go and the chief Security office.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, he's.
Speaker 3: Got why are you what? I just like that this is important stuff, bruh. Really elaborate titles, you know, like logistically speaking, don't have somebody who handles it in a good way. And watch how how people talk about the operation. There has been complaints about how teams travel, how things are set up, the security when you go to and fro, when you get to hotels.
Speaker 4: All kinds of game day.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of things logistically that the only way you know about it and you hear about it is just something goes wrong. So he's got a lot that he's got to juggle and maintain. Don't don't be like diminishing that.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: If they're not safe, how do you how do you play well on game day? If you don't have your meals? You jump on the plane or jump on the bus on the way to the plane, stuff like that. If the coaches aren't in line with what it is they have to do in scheduling stuff like that, how is it that you are organized well enough to operate at a level to win the Super Bowl? I mean, I just was, you know, trying to don't hate on dom I'm just trying to figure out, you know what exactly that, bro, don't hate on dom id be like, can we have a success? Can we have a successful radio show? If you're not driving the show? Oh god no, no, come on, and you don't really know what it feels like until you don't have it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: True? There you go, that's true.
Speaker 3: I mean, if we won an award for Best Show, which I don't understand why Lee doesn't ever get us nominated for Best Show award the Liquor Store, I don't understand that. But what we win that Award if it was just me and Brady. I don't know, Brady and I I don't I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm not going in that direction, but I will. I will say this, you don't know you know what you have until it's gone. There is definitely is that there's like.
Speaker 4: A song or your big toe. I mean that's prime.
Speaker 6: What too soon for talking amputations?
Speaker 3: Probably as balls? Is it too soon? I'm just saying you say so, Johnson. I'm just saying, man, you don't know what you got until you don't have it, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And then you realize the.
Speaker 6: Eagles and maybe gonna realize things when Kellen Oh yeah, with Kellen more moving on.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, but I think they already know that they're want to fill that loss.
Speaker 4: I'll be honestly think Callum Moore is gonna feel when he's in New Orleans. I think you're right about that too. Like the hell both ways?
Speaker 5: Did the Eagles, by the way hang bout the big dom? Didn't they drop off t and that suspension he served?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's when they fell apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's fair. Sarianni was melting down on the satellite. He didn't have big Dom to put his hand, that big hand on his shoulder and be like, calm down, calm down.
Speaker 6: And then when Lee doesn't have his Evan Williams, he kind of falls apart to.
Speaker 5: Behind the scenes.
Speaker 7: That's that's very true. Yeah, need to uh lud the wheels, you know?
Speaker 4: Did you love your wheels last night?
Speaker 5: Maybe a little bit? It was Wednesday, of course he did. Yeah, delivery Wednesday?
Speaker 4: Was it a delivery Wednesday?
Speaker 7: He doesn't do deliveries anymore? But I did see Todd for a second, Yeah, saw ing for us a second. Yeah, we had lunch together.
Speaker 4: I had a quickie. We had lunch together. Okay, did you.
Speaker 5: Give a gentleman's lunch a few drinks? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: By the way, for people.
Speaker 2: That just so they have an understanding how Lee's mind works. So he went to go get a Philly cheese steak from someplace. It apparently sucked and they screwed up his order, and he sends over an update about his Philly and all right, back, are you drinking though? And he goes, nah, I couldn't finish my tall. He wasn't feeling it.
Speaker 3: Did have two shots of tequila though, so I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yeah, listen, I just want you to know I wasn't feeling like drinking other than those two shots at tequila, which is all the momentum you needed to go on a bender on a Wednesday.
Speaker 7: Not true, Not true? Right, I quit after that. I might have had one drink at the end of the night, but okay, I quit after that. All right, little nightcap, Little nightcap. Big fan of the nightcap.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the.
Speaker 2: iHeart So here we go the College Football Playoff, which featured a matchup I don't know if you guys knew this or not between Penn State and Notre Dame.
Speaker 5: The College Football Playoff could.
Speaker 4: Be very clear. Yesterday the SEC as a weapon.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankee Big Ten commission Tony Pettiti agreed that there should be a change to the way the twelve team College Football Playoff teams are seated, and the change should come this upcoming season. So for everybody out there that was bitching and moaning about you know, automatic qualifiers going to conference champions whether it be you know, Arizona State getting a bye or the bye going to Boise State.
Speaker 5: Don't worry. They've stepped up. And it looks like we could see a change coming up here pretty much.
Speaker 4: And what does that change?
Speaker 6: What does that rep Well, the change I think is going to be more in regards to the seating of how they go about doing it, which I think most would agree. If the top four teams the way they're ranked, however that falls out, those teams ultimately should be able to get to buy. And I think as far as how the rankings are awarded, it was a little bit confusing for some out there because they didn't really understand how the automatic qualifiers worked for the conference champions. And then when you had a team that was not within the autonomous for power for call what you will in Boise State, who gets a buy people were scratching their head going, wait a.
Speaker 5: Second, I didn't think that was possible.
Speaker 6: Or for example, the ACC champion Clemson, who was outside of the top twelve in the rankings, they still obviously get an automatic bid into the playoff.
Speaker 5: And so people are like, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 6: So I think what you're going to see as a change in the seating as far as how the teams one through twelve are going to be seeded once they get to the playoff. Now it could and by the way, it could be one through fourteen. It could be one through sixteen at this point. Which if it's sixteen, we don't have to worry about buys, or we shouldn't. We should make them all play. I would say this though, was my biggest concern about where we are at with the college football Playoff as it currently exists. If you start creating automatic qualifiers, what bothers me is this is not the NFL. And when I say that, I mean we understand that winning your division is paramount, all right, A divisions comprised of four teams. Well, look at how some of these super conferences are constructed. I mean you have Big ten with what eighteen teams? You know, maybe it stops there, maybe it keeps growing the sec et cetera, Big twelve acc And what we saw in year one was the difference sometimes in scheduling where a team like Indiana could potentially not have to really play anyone difficult outside.
Speaker 5: Of Ohio State.
Speaker 6: I guess you could throw Michigan in there, even though it was a down year for Michigan and they beat them. They got them at home, So credit to coach Signettia and crew. But that wasn't the best Michigan team we've seen, right, Clearly, the top teams were Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State as far as that goes, and then Indiana. You'd probably say it was somewhere after that. So the general point is that if you start creating automatic qualifiers for the Big Ten and the SEC and really any of the conference for that matter.
Speaker 5: It takes away from the games. You're like, everyone knows the.
Speaker 6: Ending to the story, so it takes away from the intrigue of the regular season. Like, to me, that's one of the greatest things about sports is the fact that your regular season has to matter. And if you're now basically saying that, well, the top four teams from the Big Ten will get in, the top four from the SEC will get in, it'say, well, okay, I mean, how really hard is your schedule.
Speaker 5: Going to be?
Speaker 6: You know, as far as your non conference Do you need to schedule anyone tough anymore?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 6: Or is it just about how you finish within your conference and how that that works out, how those tie breaking scenarios work out. So if they don't figure out a way for the final weekend, because ultimately what's being sacrificed is the conference championships, they're basically no one void because if there's an automatic qualifier, you'd almost rather not play as long as this season is. You'd almost rather be able to get a break, get extra rest, and if you're Ohio State, for example, be able to prepare for that home first round match of versus Tennessee and then go on the rest of the way on a warpath to win a national championship. So I sit there and just say, we got to be careful because if some of the powers that be aren't and they get a little too greedy, and I keep talking to you guys about how well you can do the math on this too, think about this. If you get four guarantee teams in for each one of those conferences every year, you're guaranteeing what your conference is at least being paid out through that first round, which is obviously important for those conferences continuing to separate themselves from the Big Twelve, from the ACC from every other group of five conference that's out there.
Speaker 5: So in part, it's about money, but it always is. But the other portion of.
Speaker 6: This is we can't sacrifice the sanctity of what us always been a regular season sport and the different ways we've kind of anointed our champion with the way we're going about looking on at this playoff format. Like that's what concerns me the most about some of the discussion about these automatic qualifiers.
Speaker 3: And so not the number of teams, it's the automatic qualifiers. Here's what I'm curious about. If we're basing it off of the ratings, what you're rated is going to dictate where you're at. What rating are we using, ranking, ranking, ranking, what ranking are we using? Are we using at ap which one are we using? Because to me, that has to be universal. If you have three different rankings and you have teams that are in different slots, then to me, that creates confusion. If you're if you're not going to honor the fact that a team actually, some way, somehow won their conference, If that's not going to be honored, I don't have a problem with that. If you're going to say we're using strictly ranking, then go with strictly rankings and that one established ranking body like you don't need a committee. You don't need a committee other than to say, okay, one plays this team, two plays this team, three plays this team for one through eight. You just figure out who they play in the next eight or whatever it may be. But to me, if you're looking at it from the standpoint of we're looking at who wins the conference, it.
Speaker 4: Has to matter. It has to matter.
Speaker 3: I don't care if you were the best team all year and you find a way to lose and you don't make it into your conference title. That's what it's all about. If you ask me a team that was able to like take for instance, a team that I don't know, like Ohio State, doesn't play for the conference championship, but yet they play for or the national championship and win. Like, to me, okay, we could say that Ohio State, in theory was the best team all year, even though Oregon proved out to be the best team. I can't see myself taking away the value from Oregon winning the Big Ten because we're saying that this team over here, even though they lost and even lost to Oregon, is the best team in college football. Either you're gonna honor who wins their conferences and say this is a way for us to differentiate these groups in the power for they won their conference, they're in. Either we're gonna differentiate it that way or we're gonna say we're totally going to the ranking system. And if you go to the ranking system, you can't have all these different rankings out here, ratings or rankings of the teams.
Speaker 5: You can't have it.
Speaker 6: But they don't factor in the coaches in ap and all that, Like, that's not I mean, obviously, the College Football Playoff Committee uses all the different analytics, and they do factor ins some of the different computer systems into their model and how they go about selecting. And in fact, like I didn't mind the BCS. I actually thought the BCS system which encompassed a lot and there was a human element, there was a computer element, And what I liked about the most, honestly was the numbers. You can kind of see how far certain teams were behind. But for the most part, it's been pretty lock and step what the committee has picked.
Speaker 5: There's been a few differences over the years, but for the most part.
Speaker 6: Like it's been in essence and extension the committee has of the BCS, I would say with ninety some percent accuracy based on what the BCS would have been, and that's ultimately what we go off of, at least in college football. Now, I think the next step moving forward, and it's too hard to do because you have more too many teams. And now maybe we get to a point where we do only have the Big Ten and SEC and they kind of create their own level of play and scheduling and a format for to turn in the national champion. Which I'm not trying to advocate for one way or another, but I'm just I'm saying, if you're looking for a more fair model, it doesn't seem like we have an issue with the NFL's model for a playoff system.
Speaker 5: How we go about.
Speaker 6: Determining the winner of division, the winner of the ranking, and as far as the conference, you know, the team that gets to buy and so forth one through seven. That would be where you ultimately want to get to. But part of the issue with that is is one the college football playof comte ankings don't come out to October.
Speaker 5: So if you're a TV network.
Speaker 6: And you've paid all this money for the regular season, which all these networks have, you need something to sell them. It can't just be the brands themselves right, even though Ohio State Michigan will always be one of the highest rated games. It helps when they're one and two, right. It helps when we feel like there's something on the line there for any of the matchups, any rivalry game, any of these Big ten matchups are big time matchups.
Speaker 5: It helps me have something to sell, and.
Speaker 6: That's one of the reasons why the AP pole has continued to still be in existence. The coach is pulled to some degree, but really most publications use the ape pole until you get to the college Football Playoff and there's that transition to everyone then using the College Fotball Playoff ranking since they ultimately matter as the ones that we use to kind of sell the game and sell the excitement enthusiasm behind it and why people should watch. So, you know, unfortunately, we're not to a spot where I think we can remove rankings altogether. We probably never will because the history behind it. But to me, at least, I do think being able to award to your point, the teams that I think not only win their conference if we're still doing conference championship games, but also the teams that should be, you know, the top four ranked if we keep it at twelve and there's four buys like that, that ultimately should be how we go about reseating this thing after it's all said and done, before we play the playoff.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the NFL way of doing it, isn't it too many teams outside of the power for that would get left out if that were the direction we went in, because there's.
Speaker 6: Too many forget that, there's too many teams outside just the.
Speaker 5: Big ten and SEC. Even with the Big ten and SEC.
Speaker 6: Like they're going to have combined more than thirty two, So it would be extremely difficult to do it. I think the other part is is you'd have a number of division winners who really wouldn't be and and it doesn't wait, well yeah, I mean they just they wouldn't be as competitive like you would have teams that would win a division that you'd say they're going to probably get smacked or blown out. And so there's there's no real easy way of going about, you know, handling that outside of saying, if you're the Big ten, let's just say, hypothetically, I mean, they can't do this, But hypothetically, if they had four divisions, if there were only sixteen teams and you sprinkled Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and that Iowa wiscon to take your pick in one of the other divisions. You would basically be lining up the conference to have it play out so that you've got, you know, those four strongest teams win their division then to make the playoff to give you the best chance of advancing a team to the super Bowl or excuse me, to the National Challenge.
Speaker 3: Uncomfortable conversation that has to take place is if you're not a power for you're not, You're not eligible. I think that's the uncomfortable conversation that has to take place. Sorry, if you're not a power for a team, you're not, you're not eligible to compete for the national title. And just know that going in. Just know that that's what you got to deal with going in, period.
Speaker 5: Buddy.
Speaker 6: I think it's going to go a step further where the uncomfortable conversation is going to be where do the Big twelve and ACC live? Because it feels like at times, with the difference in what those conferences are paying out their teams compared to the Big ten and SEC, that the ACC and Big twelve right now are kind of closer to those group of five teams conferences yep, than then maybe they are the Big ten and the SEC.
Speaker 5: That's how it feels.
Speaker 3: So it's going to turn into the Big ten, Big twelve done, and you're playing SEC.
Speaker 4: I mean SEC. Yeah, my bad.
Speaker 3: So so so basically, what's going to have to happen is you do a pro style model of how you get through each conference. Each conference is going to represent what the NFL represents, and then the winner out of If y'all say, okay, let's bring the best team from each conference and they play for the national title, I think that makes sense. You don't even have to have a tournament. You win the Big Ten, you play for the national title, you win the SEC, you play for the national title against the winner of the Big ten, and then now I hate to say it, but then now Notre Dame has to make a choice. They got to decide are we going to Big ten route or are we going to SEC route? But we got to go into one because we want to be able to compete for a national title. I mean, I think that that ultimately, that's what it sounds like, that might be what it would turn into. I mean, that would be the most logical way of.
Speaker 4: Looking at it. How many teams are in these how many teams are in these conferences?
Speaker 6: Now it's what eighteen and a big ten. The SEC has what's sixteen?
Speaker 3: Now, so I mean that's that's not quite thirty two, but that's a lot of teams that is. But yeah, but I'm just saying, I'm just saying if each conference, like think, yeah, I guess, I guess you could look at it as that represents the AFC and NFC. I'm just thinking total in total, if one side represented in total, what the playoff?
Speaker 4: The playoff looks like.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean, Here's here's what it says that if that's the scenario we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Again, we're just hypothetical hypotheticals.
Speaker 4: That hypotheticals is you.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't want to leave out programs like Miami, Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina. Like, there's a lot of other teams that are either part I mean, even Colorado in the Big twelve, right, Texas Tech, who's been you know, times competitive, Oklahoma State, there's there's other teams that you could bring as part of this. Now, there'd have to be more expansion, but the truth of the matter is is, yes, there's a dividing line there, and maybe there's more realignment waiting to happen, but at this juncture, it's there's still so much to be sorted out. So again, I understand the question about Notre Dame. Our name has always found its place and found its way of still being a part of the process when it's all said and done. And I think that they would even in that case, while probably because because here's the here's the truth, like, here's the here's the truth to all this. If everyone would have went the route of Notre Dame in football, I'm saying, in football, you go back eight years ago, all right, and we just say, hey, there's something coming, and there's gonna be realignment, there's gonna be all these shifts and changes, and maybe the pack troll is not even gonna exist, Like how can we avoid that.
Speaker 5: Well, let's just do this.
Speaker 6: Let's take football and all the Power five programs. At that point, they're gonna go independent and we're gonna figure out another way of making their schedule and making a playoff system and everything else, and.
Speaker 5: We're gonna keep everything else the same.
Speaker 6: We're not gonna demolish the Pac twelve because you know of football and have to sacrifice the softball team at at UCLA falling across the country to go play Rutgers.
Speaker 5: You know, we're not gonna force those teams to do that.
Speaker 6: We're just gonna take football or to have them construct their own schedule however we deem that fit based on it could be the college football Playoff, could have been whoever.
Speaker 5: But had everyone else.
Speaker 6: Gone that exact same route, we wouldn't be in this mess that we're in, at least in regards to the conference realignments and some of the difficulties that a lot of these schools are facing, and a lot of it from a monetary standpoint too, because they even though they're getting more from the conference they maybe joined, their expenses just went way up for travel and everything else that's involved. So that's how we complicated things. Instead of like everyone who in their free world wants to say, well, not dore d even need Tom to join a conference, it's like, well, no, maybe you guys actually messed this up because instead of just allowing the conference to be what they may be, you guys should all want independent, at least in football and then you could have constructed something that worked for just football and we didn't ruin life, the student athlete life for every other college and conference and sport out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 5: To watch how this all play out.
Speaker 2: But it does feel like a lot college football is in its own category. And we were talking about this a little bit in New Orleans, like, I don't even think I don't like college basketball and college football feel like two different levels as far as interest what they provide, Like it just feels like college football is its own league, like the top two leagues in the world of sports, or the NFL, and then college football and everybody else is just sort of lining up, so it feels like they should be doing.
Speaker 5: Their own thing.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: We do know what is going to happen in the draft, all right. We know who's not going to be there at least. The draft is coming up in April. It's in Green Bay, and apparently Shadoor Sanders will not be a part of the draft. Shadoor Sanders on overtime talking about his decision to not attend the draft in Green Bay.
Speaker 8: Let's take a listen, we most likely do Colorado Dallas. We ain't really decide like fully fully fully yet, Yeah, we plan on doing it, you know, like an event thing and.
Speaker 4: We'll be fun.
Speaker 8: There'll be more family friends be able to come because the only thing we're going to the draft is just like, you know, I want to spend those moments with my people. And yet I think having everybody come out there, Bro, it's gonna be so expensive, you feel me, so cause why you saving a lot of money? You get to be around your people and all that. Like, it's not just me, you know that I was able to get to this point.
Speaker 4: It's like a team. It was a team thing.
Speaker 8: It was a team of people that helped me allowed to get to where I am now. So I want to be able to make sure I am able to enjoy that with everybody and nobody be in uncomfortable situations just for traveling and just to show support.
Speaker 3: So there you go, and that's for the draft. Yeah yeah, yeah, which makes more sense these days. It does make a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: And I think it's not an easy place to get to and you know, for for some people, they'd rather be at home with their family and friends in an environment they're comfortable with.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Depending on who you talk to, some people view shadors number one. Some people have views cam Ward, I kind of know what's that. There's another one out there for number one. Come on, throw him out there, throw his name out.
Speaker 4: Abdul Carter. No quarter I'm talking about quarterback.
Speaker 5: That's why.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, And anyway, the point is is that like those guys, you know, they probably want to say, like, hey, I don't necessarily.
Speaker 5: Know where exactly I could be going.
Speaker 6: I mean I went through that when when I when I went to New York, and so there's there's always that potential chance that maybe it doesn't work out exactly the way you think or exactly the way you would hope for.
Speaker 5: So there's there's elements of that.
Speaker 6: But I think the other thing is and I remember, like the NFL brought me in at one point in time after the draft.
Speaker 5: Me was like a couple of years later, two or three years later, and we.
Speaker 6: Talked about some of the things that would make it easier to get more guys to go because they wanted to create an environment where more guys want to go to the draft, to walk out on stage to shake Roger Goodell's hand. And I kind of said to them, like, look, if you guys aren't paying guys to be here, like, there's gonna come a time when these guys can make more money staying at home and doing a draft party somewhere else. And it sounds like that's something that Sanders family is gonna be able to capitalize off of. You know, whether it's Shador or it's Travis Hunter as well. I'd assume there's a few other players too. You know, Shepherd their wide receiver, He's gonna get drafted, Horne will get drafted. Like there's a number of players who I think will get drafted from that team, and there might be something they're doing for all of them and all those guys getting paid off that. So that's the hard part is I think people sometimes aren't aware that a lot of these athletes now have the potential and chance to make a lot of money before they get into the NFL. And even that week leading up to the draft, whether you go to the draft or not.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you there's going to be a ton of KFC. There no cat. The Sanders family have been doing a lot of KFC reads, a lot of KFC commercials.
Speaker 6: So here's my question for you, though, Can you call it KFC if KFC is moving its headquarters from Kentucky to Texas.
Speaker 3: I mean yes, because it's still it's still the recipe originated from Kentucky. That's why it's like, why are you able to call Philly cheese steaks Philly cheese steaks in different places? Why can you call them French fries? I don't get all of that, you know what I mean? Is it not a French fry because it's not in France. I'm just saying, is it not a Philly cheese steak because it's not in Philly? So I think it would still be Kentucky Fried Chicken. I mean, I could go buy some KFC today in Cali and it's still be called KFC in a bucket.
Speaker 4: But I'm being joke. I'm joking, but I think the point.
Speaker 3: It's not churches. But okay, churches does have some good chicken. But I really do like pop Eyes chicken. Man, it's Popeye's flavor, man, telling you, I love me some pop Popeyes, Like Popeyes almost stole my career.
Speaker 4: Man, it almost stole my career.
Speaker 5: Without Popeyes, you may have never had PhD.
Speaker 4: That is very true. That is very true that I was reminded of that as well.
Speaker 3: Uh. But you know, if I could do it all over again, going back to my draft day, I one hundred percent would have did it somewhere where all my family could be there. It would have probably most likely and and all actuality been at my high school. I think that would have made the most sense to me when I look back on it, and things move so fast and so quickly that you know, you just kind of go with the flow of what people tell you, the status quo of what it's supposed to be. But I think the cool thing about you know, where things are now is that athlete to have more of an understanding of what they represent and the value that they hold. You know, I can't say that I knew that when I was coming out in terms of that value being me saying you know what, I think we should coordinate me doing it here, or I can use this like if somebody took it to a whole other level where I'm going to take this moment that's for me getting drafted, and I'm going to use this as as a platform and the opportunity to shine light on something that I'm truly passionate about. Like those are the things that I would have if I could do it all over again.
Speaker 4: That's how I would do it.
Speaker 3: I would shine light on our Wounded Warriors programming. Not understanding what you know, what goes into all of it, and how many people can be impacted and affected in a positive way if people just got involved. You know, there's like for me, that would be my passion and that would be something that I would think. Understanding your brand, understanding what you command in terms of time and attention, being able to leverage that. I think it's a great it's a great step forward for athletes that understand it. Generally quarterbacks have that understanding, they had that support group where they're they're the planning of what their careers look like, how they are handling things. I mean Tim Tebow being one of the best examples that you could ever throw out there in terms of just leveraging your passion and your purpose along with what you do on the field and how you can build your community that way, I would have definitely been a part of my community. I would have made sure Penn State community was a part of it. I would have made sure that that my North Hills family was a part of it as well, and obviously my immediate family members like my grandparents and all that stuff. So I think it's a good I think it's great reasoning from Shador to say he wants to be, you know, where the people that were with him can can attend with all of them can attend with him.
Speaker 5: It is awesome.
Speaker 3: Now, if the draft was in South Beach, here you go, I might change my mind and I might just do it there. I might have to do all those things that I mentioned. Just do it in South Beach, you.
Speaker 2: Know, just throw everything at the clevelander and say anybody want to come now? And I feel like you have a different answer.
Speaker 3: I would still do it at home. I think I would if today, I would still do it at home. Yeah, but back then you were what twenty one?
Speaker 4: Well, but let's go.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think that that is truly the the wild card of having Dion primetime Sanders. You know, his guidance, his his mentorship, his understanding. Uh, he is an ultimate master Brander I mean, he is as good as it has ever been, and they get the benefit of him being their coach, and in Chador's case, he gets the benefit of that being his father. So I think that that plays a part. I did not have that type of guidance.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: Let me uh, let me ask you you guys a question. If the draft was in New York, do you think they'd be going. I must say I think they they're going to stick to the plan. That would say that may be the case, but there's probably a better chance based off of what they could parlay leverage in New York. I would say there's a chance that they would do that.
Speaker 3: That's why I throw out Miami. I don't think the market is in Miami that the market definitely isn't crazy attractive to want to do it there.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing, is the Draft, just like the combine, just like the Pro Bowl two. Often times the NFL tinkers and tweaks this stuff, and it's really so there's like a you know, bidding process, and ya. Look, there's a lot of cities that've gotten left out of Super Bowls because they're not gonna either have the confines of a stadium.
Speaker 5: To host one, you know, or you know, even if.
Speaker 6: They do, it might be a one and done unless it's a dome, because they don't want to have to necessarily be in a cool weather place. So that's the truth and the harsh reality. So what do they do to circumvent that. They came up with the draft where they're going to rotate now in different cities. And I get it there's excitement around it, but just from my experience, man, there was people who came to New York who've never been back in my family, like they solely came for that event, that moment, to share with me everything else and just to experience New York like that was Like one of the things too, is oh it's in New York. I mean, if it was in another city where they go, I don't know, maybe maybe not. But there's something about that, you know, there's something about having the Pro Bowl and Hawaii that made it special. And I think this is one of the mistakes that the NFL has made in a way. I understand in saying that it's probably gonna upset some Green Bay fans, people who live in Green Bay.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry if that upsets you.
Speaker 6: I just can only talk from my perspective on it, and I regardless of how long it took me to get drafted on a draft day, I still wouldn't have changed a thing in regards to especially going to New York and being a part of it and all the different things that we did that week leading up was it's the children in's hospital visits, some of the community service visits.
Speaker 5: Like any of those other things. It was.
Speaker 6: It was all incredible, was awesome. It was well put on by the NFL. That's why I'm a bit I'm not surprised when players opt to not go because it's not always, you know, the same, it doesn't feel the same. You know, if they move the heisman from New York to somewhere else, I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Quite feel the same.
Speaker 6: So that's that's kind of one of those things that it's it's synonymous with that, you know, when you think about the draft, like I always think about New York, but you know, that's changed now and I think that might play a role in some of these guys opting not.
Speaker 5: To go, you know.
Speaker 3: And I've always thought that the draft has now turned into the consolation prize for a city that can't get a super Bowl at three of the draft. You know, whether it's Green Bay next year is going to be Pittsburgh. A super Bowl's never going to Pittsburgh. But the draft can go and you can come out there for you know, two three days, hang out and infuse some something to the economy there. And it was such a hit in Tennessee. I think people felt like, Okay, this is something that could work. But then you get I just gotta be honest. When you hit a market like Green Bay, I think you take a lot and it may turn out to be a win, but I think going into it, I don't think it's very attractive.
Speaker 5: You almost signed with Green Bay.
Speaker 3: And I got offered by New York and went to New York for less money. Why New York even the preference over Green Bay? It just it just seems like what Q said. I think the the tradition of it just seems to be right, you know, the way you handle things. Because I did enjoy my time for the draft as well in New York. I will say as much family as I had there, I will say again I'm standing on what I just said. I would have knowing the value that you brought to them going to those children's hospitals.
Speaker 6: On what you said, you have to stand on it, and I'm a stand on it because just sitting on it is kind of like when you sit on something that that would kind of imply lazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would imply sit on it is not. Yeah, no, cap, thank you off top Jonas. Yeah, okay, all right, there you go. I just think that having the value that you bring to the table and and and what that represents, I think that you can maximize that in your in your own community. You come out and unless you're from New York, I think you come outside of your community to go into somebody else's to bring that value. They bring your value into it. Whereas I think in a moment where you're accomplishing something that it represents a closing of of a major chapter, which is the pursuit of becoming a professional at what you're doing.
Speaker 4: I think in those moments it.
Speaker 3: Definitely should be focused in on how you can maximize what you're doing and what that plan represents versus somebody else maximizing it. And I think that that's what people do that's connected to the NFL draft, that's what they do. And if you don't have any plan, then it's fine if you're a part of it. But I would just say if I was a Shadoor Sanders or an Abdual Carter or a cam Ward, I think that I would want to bring awareness and use my brand to bring awareness to the things that I'm passionate about in connection to my community. And that's a tremendous value that you would be able to bring to your community that otherwise, Like if I could go back and do it all over again, it would be veterans, it would be bringing thorn, you know, pediatric cancer, bringing awareness to those things. That's ultimately what growing your brand and growing your reputation and status is really should be for is to assist them to push other people forward.