Speaker 1: The time este league records bring we will sue you to.
Speaker 2: The gunner. Welcome, flaming hang out, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Sunday, August sixteenth. That's Arm Laden. I am Peter Apple. Arm. Get those damn fingers ready because it's time for the weekend round Up, where we recap every game that was over the past weekend with plenty of takeways, and it's all brought to you five bet mgm crack. That's the sound of the bat hitting the baseball and a reward being dropped into your account. Take a swing each day in bet MGM's free to play game, because if you get a hit, you're gonna score a reward depending on whether your hit was a single, a double, a triple, or a home run. And this game is exclusively available at betmgm. So here's how it works. Step number one, you plays the batter, you select an area of the strike zone. Number two, if you get a hit, you win a prize. You could win a fifty dollars bonus bet, an odds boost token, a parlay boost token, or a same game parlay boost token. And if it is your first pick on bet mgm, remember to use promo code just Baseball, because if you lose your first pick on bet MGM, you'll get it all back in bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks. A Before we break into the roundup, I just dropped my biggest NFL future of the season. For any football fans out there interested in NFL and college football content, I'll be making a ton on the Just Gridiron Fans YouTube page. Also just started in Instagram yesterday. We have our TikTok account with about sixty thousand followers. Just a quick reminder of football season is around the corner. I'm releasing all of my different futures, so if you want to go check those out again, it's on YouTube at just Gridiron. All right, enough football for now, enough folks.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to blindly I'm ready to blindly follow. Though I don't know, I don't know anything. I know you've been in the lab. Some of the picks sound great to me, and I'm excited to just follow them and have something to root for because I'm paying attention to the Dolphins this year. That's all I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Baseball is my number one love, but the NFL is right there. Huge Rams fan, and I'm really excited for the season, and I love breaking it down, but I will say I love breaking down baseball even more. You got five series, I got ten. Let's round it up for the people.
Speaker 3: Let's do it and Game one in Marlin's Reds was the pitchers duel that we all wanted, Case Burns versus Sandy al contra It delivered. Burns tossed seven shutout innings while Sandy offered seven of one run ball himself, but that one run actually ended his consecutive innings scoreless streak at twenty five and two thirds innings, the best of Sandy's career. The lone run came on a Gino Suarez RBI single. Who's actually been swinging the mat pretty well all of a sudden. Reds win one zero, Chase Burns approofs of fourteen to two. It's gonna be one of those times where I care about the record and we'll shout it out. Game two plenty of scoring this time around with the game, except not for the early part of the game. It went into the eighth with the Reds up four to three, but the Marlins would go on to put up five unanswered to lockdown an eight four victory, four for four day for Jacob Marcy. Of course, Marlins fans love to see that. Joe mack homerd in a three hit performance and again the Marlins even up the series in Game two. Then you go to Game three, another fun pitching matchup Uri Peres versus Nickelodola. Adola hasn't been as good this year, but still very talented. Of course, Ury has been on a heater and has really seen things. Clay our Guy podcast, he put out a sick video also just breaking down what has changed with Yury and how good he has been. And that was before this outing, I think, and we still ends up seeing another fantastic outing here from Yuri. It was scoreless until the eighth, but that's when the Marlins bats woke up. Erberto Hernandez launched a solo shot, Griffin Conan came off the bench and drew a basis loaded walk to bring in another run, and then the floodgates really opened in the ninth inning, where the Marlins put up five more runs for good measure, seven to one, fish they take the series. They improved to three games over five hundred. The Reds kind of look lifeless the Marlins just didn't look great, but they keep just kind of grinding it out here and they do what they needed to do to kind of stay in the hunt. With the way some of these other teams in the top of the wild card are playing. By taking two out of three in a series, they should win.
Speaker 2: And I want to ask you about the Marlins too, because you said to yourself they're kind of grinding out wins right now, and I understand, but looking at the totality of the season, the Marlins have a plus twenty run differential. They're two and a half games out, They're sixty f four and sixty one. If the Marlins were in the American League, they would be what two and a half games above the Orioles for that last wild card spot. So, yes, the Marlins on the outside looking in on the playoffs. But at the same time, they're having a really strong season. They're just on the outside looking in because they're in a league that is full of juggernauts. So I just wanted to get your more overarching thoughts on the Marlins this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they've been really solid, man, Like you saw that. I think this stretch and over the next week to week and a half, especially the series they have coming up. They play the Phillies this week. The Phillies, we'll talk about they've been really solid of late. Tough pitching matchup, tough draw off for them too, Like they don't get Sandy or yurigoing so and they get some of the top arms for the Phillies. Like that's going to be a defining series, I think. But I think for this season overall, it could have really fell apart for them after that losing streak, like it could have the wheels could have completely fallen off. They snapped that twelve game losing stream and they end up coming back now and playing really solid ball of weight. So I feel like this has been a defining characteristic of this team is that they won't really go away. Are they perfect?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Are there times where the offense kind of disappears, Yeah, But they find ways to win games. Different guys in the rotation step up, Like Max Meyer was that guy when Uri was working through things. Sandy's always kind of been that solid arm. But since Meyer hit the IL, Yuri has kicked things into another gear. And Sanuel Contra has been spectacular, So he has really played his way into like you're not gonna win the Cy Young, but like he's gonna get some down ballot votes and finish in a respectable spot.
Speaker 2: I think he's gonna lead major League Baseball and innings this year, if I'm not mistaken. I think the last time I checked, he was pacing major League Baseball in innings pitched, being that classic innings eater that Sandy is, and he's still getting pretty good results. It's been a little bit of an up and down season for him, but at the end of the day, it's still Sandy Is and he's been awesome over the last few months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's what they needed him to be with how many short starts they've had and kind of bullpen games or whatever it may be. But I mean to answer the question, I think it's been a good season overall for the minds, and as long as the wheels don't fall off again here, like if they're playing meaningful games through September, I think it's it's a pretty exciting, you know, season for them. That said, I think starting next year, I do think for the sake of Marlins fans, the goal needs to no longer be better than we expected and needs to be like, hey, let's try to sign some players and you know, and make the playoffs for good or actually, you know, make it out of a wild card round.
Speaker 2: Makes total sense. I just think it's important to refer back to the opening win totals that bet MGM puts out to kind of contextualize what were the preseason expectations, because you know, we're in the middle of August, we kind of pretend what these teams were quote unquote projected to be. And the Marlins, with a month and a half left of the season are only eight wins away from their preseason win total, which they're gonna fly by. So in terms of what Vegas and the smartest people in the world thought the Marlins would be, they have far exceeded those expectations. So it's a again to your point, it's great to do that, but let's start spending some money and then let's start competing. But to be fair to them, like I said, pointing back to my earlier point, they'd be well within the playoffs if they were just in the American.
Speaker 3: League, and then maybe they would have approached the deadline differently if they were in the American League. As well, So that's the interesting wrinkle. And then the Reds Jack on the radio call referred to them as lifeless, and so he never does that. Even he said I never called teams lifeless. He said a lifeless they feel lifeless. And I just I love Tito like he's a legend. I've made fun of him a few times, like hitting find behind runners and all that stuff with south Stewart, but I just let him finish the year. Obviously, I just don't know if he's the guy for the scene, and it's not all on him. But until Crawl gets fired, I don't know they're gonna need to sha shake something, shake some things up. Excuse me, geez. I think managerially they're gonna need to shake the roster up too. But I do think there's just a little bit of a disconnect there. It doesn't feel like the teams that bought in at this stage. And and I just don't think Tito can be the guy going in the next year.
Speaker 2: I understand that I think that Tito, when managers are discussed, kind of gets the benefit of the doubt just because he kind of is that legend. But if you ask a Reds fan how Tito has done, you know, in a Reds uniform, I don't think there would be a lot of positivity. But I still think the number one problem is that front office. Yeah Crawls on that rant, Nick Krawl is the biggest problem. I don't think addressing Tito is really going to change. Yeah, organizational structure, and that's what they need changed, and it starts with the front office.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The only other thing I'll add is, you know Gino swinging in a little bit. Yeah, they're around.
Speaker 2: They're hanging around. Like I understand why Jack said they were lifeless, but it's not like they've created like some other teams that we're here to talk about in this roundup of completely created. The Reds are still competing. But I agree on a day to day basis, it just feels like there's no juice there. And I think that's what Jack noticed on the call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is which is it's just been tough to watch. But we'll go to Phillies Versus Twins and game one I was at. It was the Field of Dreams game technically speaking here, and it was a lot of fun, but it was all Phillies. Kyle Schwarber Homer twice Brandon Marsh left the yard on the way to a seven to one route. Aaron Nola struck out nine and five innings of one run ball and it was a really fun experience. Game was so much fun. Shchwarber leaving the yard twice. With the way the wind was bowling in there, I thought nobody was getting out. Schweber was even drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you were about to say it. I was, like Schwarber said pregame that nothing was flying out to right field. And then first ab he crushes one out to right field.
Speaker 3: It was good. I watched him in batting practice, like literally hitting balls and then looking at his like his teammates and shaking his head and going, oh my gosh, this is going to be a nightmare because everything was dying. And sure enough he sneaks those two out, one with no help one the other the second one maybe with a little bit of help. And then Nola's been really solid of late. And even if if he could just be a four y r A the rest of the way, I mean, the Phillies are in good shape. You go to Game two, all Phillies again. They tagged Connor Prilip for eight runs while Jesus Wizardo toss six and two thirds innings of one run ball with nine punch outs nine to one final. There then Game three, the Twins got off to a five zear o lead, brooks Lee launched a grand slam, Cody Clemons also hit a solo shot, but then the Phillies scored seven unanswered. Alex Bowm hit a three run shot in the fourth, sorry in a four run sixth, and then the Phillies tacked on three more in the eighth to take the lead and hold on seven to five Phillies victory. They sweep. It's one thing to get swept, but this third game being the one that like you get swept with is the one that really hurts. Because if that was game one, then you loast the next two. It's like all right, clean slate. This one really really hurts because you already had a frustrating series. You've got boat race in the first two and then you're in the lead. You should at least salvage the series here at home, and you have this back breaking loss baseball, so like they could just bounce back tomorrow or the next game and you know, be great. But this is one where I am really interested to see if it carries over into the next series.
Speaker 2: So as a four point three percenter, as a Twins Nation believer, as a Minnesotian sort of, I live in Chicago, it's like kind of close to Minnesota. I have rallied around this Twins team all year. I'm not waving the white flag. Don't ask if I am, because I'm not. But do I have my normal animunition, No, I do not. It's getting tough. The pitching just isn't there, and it sucks because this team is still a top ten offense in baseball by WRC plus. I still believe in the offense that hasn't left. But you saw the final scores of the series, Like when they don't hit, they lose seven to one, and when they do hit, they lose seven to five. It's just kind of where we're at with them. I want to focus on the Phillies though, because on this podcast, I think we've been given the Phillies some flack.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 2: We've been talking a lot about this offense, nothing about the rotation. All we do is praise the rotation with a three headed monster. We still love Duran in the back end, and we still think they have a solid bullpen. It's just how do we get the Phillies over the top. And I think Phillies fans have been asking the same thing, and it starts with finding bats outside of the Schwarber and the Harper, because I think banking on a trade turner resurgence at this point is just wishing and hoping that the trade turner of old returns. But if Bryson, Stott and Alec Bohm are going to hit the way they are started August really really well. On Sunday, Bryson stock goes one for five with an RBI and a run, Alec Bohm two big hits right going just in the month of August, Bryson stopped before that one for five showing had a two hundred WRC, plus Alec Bohm one forty hitting three sixty seven and then has a two for four day. If those guys can be solid, we're not asking for you to automatically turn into Harbour and Schwarber. We're just asking for solid hitters. And those two are massive. And you see what the Phillies look like when those two are hitting, because they don't need a lot, they just need somebody and now they got two somebodies and I'm watching and I'm like, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: And then you at with a Rise to add to that. It's just it's it's it's compounded. And it was funny after the game, the Field of Dreams game, you know, in the presser, Don Mattingly was kind of ask like, well, you know, outside the obvious, what is what is Ariase brought to the table? And one of the other things that he mentioned, aside from just how good the at Bats are is is the energy and the spark that that Ariaz brings because he's like a lot of our guys there. They go about their business, but it's very not even in a negative way, but very like even keeled, sometimes just just kind of flat. And it's a good thing in a lot of ways, but sometimes we need that guy that's gonna, you know, spark us be a little bit of a life u a life creator and just I would say, just an energy creator, I should say, in the clubhouse and check things up a little bit. And I think that's what a Rise has kind of been for them, and I think he's been a spark on the field and in the clubhouse as well. So you see that paired with the fact that, yes, since the All Star Break, prison Stott's been as good as anybody. It's been really impressive to see, I mean pretty much since the break. It's a one seventy one WRC plus from Scott. You know he's going to defend. He's walking as much as he's struck out. And Bom has been, you know, really good as well, as you mentioned. If they've got that, like all of a sudden, there's a little bit more length to this lineup, and you don't you feel like you can get back around to the top guys even more easily, Like they don't even have to slug.
Speaker 2: It's on.
Speaker 3: But if they pick up a base hit or draw a walk and they're not going down in order, you're sending it back around to the top more more quickly and more consistently too, to get more at bats to your top dogs.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. It's like the three best teams in baseball right now are all in the National League Wild card race right if we're talking about I know the Cubs didn't certainly didn't have the best series against the Cardinals, but they've given themselves a little bit of a lead. But then you got the Phillies sweeping the Twins, and you got the Padres taking a series against the Guardians, and you got the Diamondbacks taking a series all the road against Atlanta. Like, all four of those teams are gunning for it. It's going to be an incredible racetown the stretch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which leads me right into that Cub's Cardinals series, which was a lot of fun, a lot of fireworks. Game one, though not as much of a fireworks show. It was a good Old Pictures duel, mostly because of Clay Holmes, and his home debut for the Cubs was stellar. Six and two thirds, shutout, just one hit. Sales Auzuki lauched a three run homer and that was the difference three zero Cubs in Game one, But the Cardinals, they really took control of the rest of the series. Game two will forever be known as the Matthew McGreevy game, as he tossed six innings without allowing an earned run on his way to his fifth victory. There Now, it was the Joshua Bias, and it will forever be the Joshua Game, the greatest debut we have ever seen in Major League Baseball. Three homers. Homers in each of his first three at bats to all fields too, like pull side nuke, dead center, backside bomb. That's the best part about baseball. Any day you show up to the yard as a fan, you have a chance to see something that's never happened before. And we get that in Joshua Bias is Taye. Look at Matthew Boyds was watching on YouTube. You couldn't believe it. And of course if you get a three homer performance from from one of your guys, you're probably gonna win that game. Cardinals win eight to four. But we'll circle back on Bias when we recap the series because Game three, Hunter Dobbins continues to look solid since he's returned from an ACL injury with the Cardinals, and now Edward Cabrera made his return from the IL for the Cups. He did not look very solid. Jordan Walker and Alec Burlson both homered and drove in four. Dobbinsaws five innings a two run ball with seven k's, and the Cardinals won eleven to four. They take the series in Wrigly. But I mean, the story has to be Joshua Bias and his incredible you know, incredible MLB debut.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad that you mentioned where the homers were because I think that was the most impressive part of an already incredibly impressive debut. Right first pitch, he sees four fifty dead central off Matthew Boyd. Second ab pismissal to left, just unloads pull side on a liner and then does this same thing opposite field. I want to ask you though about him long term, right, Yeah, some guys have great debuts. His was incredible, but moving forward even this season and beyond, Like what should Cardinals fans expect from Joshua Bias?
Speaker 3: Really tough player to assess in the respect like I am skeptical as a prospect. I just was have been skeptical about if he's going to hit enough, Like I think the swing gets long and as a result, he has to cheat a little bit, and when he has to cheat a little bit starts to result in like some chase. I think you can tie him up inside a little bit. But what's become abundantly clear is that if you make a mistake, he's going to vaporize it. And so I think he's going to be a good mistake hitter. We've seen it through this year where how good he has been sit thirty four homers in Triple A this season. Like the power is ridiculous, it's elite batspeed, but I do have some concern. It's kind of one swing for you know, the center of the zone mostly and there's not that much adjustability. I think the worst, he's going to crush lefties. But I do skw o ver. There's people out there that think this guy can be, you know, an elite power threat and make it all happen. He's a sneaky athlete, but I just think in the box he's a little bit of a stiff mover. I think it's going to result in a little bit more whift and chase, and he's going to be a volatile profile. But he's one of those guys that when he's hot, you know what we saw with as Marie Valdez, like you could have this home run barrage. And he's a better athlete than Valdez, and I think he's more accomplished even you know, offensively, but you'll see those home run barrages and then he'll be one of those guys though too, where when he's a little bit out of whack and pitchers are executing, and I think inside, I think stuff inside is gonna be the really important thing. Hard sinkers in and sliders away. That's where he could start to get into some tough stretches. But what a start to his career. I think he's gonna kill lefties, which he showed by what he did to Matthew Boyd. And regardless, this is going to be a spark for their team, whether it's in mostly a lefty killer role or riding the hot hand or whatever it may be. And he's a fun young piece. Still to add to the fold for the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Is Gino Swarez a decent comp.
Speaker 3: It's similar and I think if it works out, you know, that's what you're hoping like the top can look like. But yeah, I would say that's kind of a reasonable like push and pull of what you deal with, and if it works out, it could look like that. But forevery Gino Suarez. There's you know, some guys that just don't hit it off. Unfortunately it's just.
Speaker 2: The way that you know, you broke it down. Where I'm thinking about a Gino Suarez, right, he could have a fifty homer year and then he could have years where he hits below two one hundred and doesn't even get it. I think it comes and strikes out a lot and just kind of goes through ups and downs. But when he's hot, like he could be a guy moved at the deadline, let's say, for a big package, even as a rental, because you're like, we need all of those homers because this guy's hot right now. Now. He did go over to Seattle and barely did anything, but you understand the premise of a player like that, where he's going to go through ups and downs, and the ups are outrageously awesome and the downs are really tough. So I'm just thinking back now, I tweeted out after he hit those three home runs, I just got so freaking excited, because how can you not basically get ready for Jordan Walker to Joshua Biaz over the next half decade. Maybe I'm got a little bit excited.
Speaker 3: It's possible. I'm skeptical. I think the hit tool and approach is limiting, but there's been guys with way more hurdles to clear that have cleared them and with the kind of upside that he has and made it happen so like it's gonna be fun to watch, though, and he earned himself the opportunity. This is a guy at points in the minor leagues was striking out thirty five plus percent of the time at the lower levels. Swing was was terrible. He really improved it drastically. I'd us a guy that was struggling at the lower levels until last year where he really broke out, changed his swing, made all of these big improvements and is so much better than he once was and obviously now showing that to have that ability shine through, I think he's game plannable, but at the same time, you can make a career crushing mistake. So I'm excited to see how it all shakes out.
Speaker 2: How much time do you want to spend on Royals Angels twenty minutes an hour?
Speaker 3: Yeah, put see how quick we can go through it. Game one, back and forth game Michael Massey and Jack Caglion Homer has ended up propelling the Royals to a seven to six victory.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: CAGs continues to swing a hot bat, but Michael Massey has had a pretty nice series as well. Game two, though nobody at the plate was was very comfortable because Reed Detmer's was ridiculous, eight innings of two hit, shutout ball with no walks and eleven strike outs on just ninety two pitches. But shout out Randy Dobnak as well. He won five and two thirds scoreless, with the Nolan shan Well RBI single being the only scoring in the eighth inning. But man, when Demers is on like this, you start to look at him and say, like, man, how good could this guy be if he pieces it all together? And this year has been a big step in doing that. This outing maybe the best example of that. But Game three, Noah Cameron said it here, it's my turn, and he answered back with a gem of his own, a complete game one hitter, striking out eight. Michael Massey did it again. He homered, as did Bobby Witt Junior, and the Royals win three zero, but one hundred and fifteen pitches for Cameron, who just was working all four quadrants, really getting guys to chase at the bottom, filling up the zone.
Speaker 2: Only the one walk.
Speaker 3: What a performance there, And I love seeing a guy go, you know, letting them, letting him go the one fifteen to complete the game. Royals take the series, and you know for a series that not a lot of people probably in the baseball what we're paying attention to, and a no. Two offenses that you know, don't do themselves too many favors. I thought it was more about attestament to two talented left handed pitchers that when they're on it's really fun to watch. It looks completely different, but it was really fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was watching No. Cameron's start, and you know the game whack a mole or it's like a ball, yeah, and you try and whack it. Obviously, it felt like he was doing that with his fastball and change up, where it's like you would expect heater, but then here comes the changeup, but guys are swinging over the top. And then he looked like he was blowing by fastballs you know in the load to mid nineties. Nothing crazy at all, but guys were just getting blown back because they kept guessing, and they kept guessing wrong. And then all of a sudden you realize, wait a minute, Noah Cameron has a no hitter through five. Then he's got a no hitter through six, and now we're through seven, and then he finally gave up a hit. I think it was in the eighth if I'm not mistaken, but just a really really good outing, a pitcher that is now strung together a couple of good outings in the row. And I'm really looking for the Royals to just have any pieces to build on because we know about Bobby Wood Junior, Carter Jensen I think will be a good catcher in this league, but lately it just hasn't really been there. And then Michael Garcia has not taken that step forward, He's taken a large step back. He's been hurt. You got CAGs, So it's like CAGs and Bobby who in the rotation. Maybe Noah Cameron. Right, it's not been his white season. He's pitching to a low four ZRA, but you see what he looks like when he's on. And last season he was solid for them too. So again, at this point in the season with the Royals were looking for building blocks and Noah Cameron is proving it right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and at WURS, you know you've got just a solid inning, zeting type of guy that can go out and compete for you. But yeah, I mean to take it into the seventh. I think it was on the no No and then the other side though, is you look at the the offense for the Angels. I mean, oh, it's been tough to watch Netto of late.
Speaker 2: I don't think, I gotta be honest, like watching him. I don't like watching him at all. It's just I don't know if he cares. I think he's just selling out to hit bombs like it does kind of seem like it, and I mean, it's gonna Missen so much.
Speaker 3: It's it's crazy how much he's because he's a guy that when he came up, the hitting ability and we've seen that even the early going of his big league career, the hitting ability was was such a big strength of his. Jose Siri hit clean up in this game, like von Grisson broke up the no hitter, he hit third and played.
Speaker 2: He's actually been okay.
Speaker 3: He's been pretty good.
Speaker 2: He's been okay, and he's proven it gonna.
Speaker 3: Be a decent big leader. Trout's been scuffling a little bit, and I mean, yeah, Meckler, Guzman, Perraza, Darnaut, Josh Lowe, it's it's it's not it's not a fun watch right now. I like, I do like real quick. Blake Wyman kind of a funky lefty. He's been pretty good for the Angels and several outings to start his uh you know, big league career. I believe it is. I don't even know if he's been up before. Every time I tune and he looked decent. That's all I.
Speaker 2: Got on There we go the rough? Did you think on the Just Baseball Show we get a diamond in the rough guy at Royals Angels.
Speaker 3: Blake Wyman, funky might get left. He's out for a handful more years. Note from podcast P. Noah Cameron is a sub one five over thirty seven innings since he started calling his own pitches. That's why we got podcast P.
Speaker 2: I know he's the best, and that's why I feel like what I was watching was him almost deciding what are you sitting?
Speaker 3: I was, Yeah, it was chess. I thought, well, that's even that. He makes them performance even more insane to your point, like he knew exactly what to go to and when he must read swings really well, which that'll be a fun story. Thanks for that note, podcast, But if I ever seen no Cameron, I got ask him about that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Actually I might. I'm gonna be I think going to Kansas City in September to potentially check off the final of my stadiums. But we get the final series here and it's a banger. Brewers versus Dodgers. Game one, Shane Johan versus Rokie Szaki was scoreless into the fourth when the Brewers scored twice before scoring two more runs in were two runs in the fifth and two runs in the sixth. Uh made it four to two Dodgers on their side as well, though a two run shot by Max Muntsey gave them the lead. The Brewers got to Edwin Diaz though, because when it was four to two going into the ninth, they got to dz for three runs in the ninth. As the struggles continue, brew crew hold on for a five to four comeback win. I'm sure we're going to talk a little bit about Edwin at the end of this series, and I know you've already talked about him a little bit. Game two, Yoshnibu, we have a Mooto takes things into his own hands with six innings of one run ball with nine strikeouts, while Andy Pyes and Tommy Edmond both homer three to one win for the Dodgers. Go to Game three, Jacob Mizerowski was stellar again opposite of Justin Robleski. The mizz allowed one run in six innings with one walk and six strikeouts, while Joey Ortiz and William Contres both Homeward. Brewers win four to one, and then Game four, Logan Henderson out duels Trek Scouble, going seven frames of one run ball allowing just three hits. Now you really see why the Brewers wanted to hold onto this guy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: He just continues to get better. He executes so well, the command is just so damn good, and he had these Dodgers' bats just off balance the entire game. Scooble was solid. He gave up just one run in six innings of his own work, but he did scatter seven hits and the Brewers kept the pressure on the Dodgers' bullpen. Jake Bowers had four hits and drove in two. Jackson Troo had three hits with a pair of doubles, and the Brewers win six to two, taking three of four in LA. The Dodgers continue to struggle a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I think this was incredibly impressive from the Brewers. It's one thing to just take three out of four from the Dodgers in LA. That's already fantastic, but what is this game? Thirteen straight, fourteen to fifteen. They've been on this West coast road trip. It feels like since the All Star break started, they'd never get an off day. They're running through their bullpen arms and they were struggling a little bit and the Cubs were gaining ground on them in the division. And what do they do. In Brewers fashion, they say, nope, that's over dominate a team like the Dodgers. And in the Henderson versus schoobl game, Henderson wins, and on top of it, Logan Henderson since the trade deadline, has a better era than Trek Schoobel does. And so I know I put out that take originally, I think it was on the show and then we made a clip or whatever. I made the take that I was upset with the Brewers that they didn't trade Logan Henderson. And really it wasn't even about Logan Henderson. It was just frustration in the moment for a Brewer's team to make that big splash and to trade from their glut of a farm system. But then after watching one more Henderson start, I said immediately. I have to get this take back like I was wrong all of it. I'll stand in front of it. I'm not gonna let him go one more start without me admitting that that was a bad take because Henderson was too good, simply put, to be included in a Terrek Schooble trade, especially for a rental like.
Speaker 3: Five years of control.
Speaker 2: It's just too good. I don't even care if you had Louiset paying you to the package. Just Logan Henderson is too much. That's how good of a pitcher that he is. And now you're laughing. Maybe maybe I'm going out too far. Middle ground, Yeah, maybe find a middle ground. All I know is I'm a big fan of Logan Henderson and he turned in just another good start. But I think outside of Milwaukee, which I really wanted to highlight and praise them, how is the main focus not what's been going on with Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, yeah, Milwaukee, great ball and they played a good series. But Kyle Tucker, it seems like it's kind of becoming a mental thing too. And it's why Dave Roberts said, you know, he was out of the lineup in one of the games because of the frustrations of playing at home giving a day off to work, and I thought that was interesting too. That kind of only added fuel to the fire in the conversations around that. What's interesting Peyton sent me this note as well, like the hard hit percentage in the evs are basically the same home versus road for Kyle Tucker, but the surface level stats are are crazy different. On the road, Kyle Tucker's been pretty much Kyle Tucker eight forty ohps at home to five sixty six ops. You got almost one hundred point different batting average one ninety two versus two seventy five, and an ops plus of sixty one at home versus one thirty eight on the road. So the other note is that twenty five percent of his batted balls, Like, first of all, he's swinging at the first pitch nearly half the time, and he's doing that ten percent less frequently in the road, which Peyton pointed out to me, which I think is interesting. It's almost like he's pressing at Dodger Stadium, like he feels like he has to do something more there. And it's one of those things where it might have started off as a weird coincidence, but as it starts to mount on you, all of a sudden, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. And I think that's kind of where we're at. I just feel like he already had some weird bad batted Wallock, and then now at Dodger Stadium with him also still not generally performing to the way that Dodgers fans wanted. He's pressing, he feels the booze a little bit, and it's become just a really difficult place for him to play.
Speaker 2: But we're just talking about offense, and I actually just texted in our private chat to podcast p I was like, is it possible to look up Home Road splits on defense? And Peyton goes, I don't know if those are trackable, but I'm going to tell you what I see with my eyes, and it feels like a lot of the bad defensive plays that Kyle Tucker has a lot of them are at Dodger Stadium right arm we were just talking in the discord, I know you saw the same exact play in Sunday's game where he's tracking back to the warning track. Not an easy play. You're Kyle Tucker, you make that play I think they even said it on the broadcast nine and ninety nine times out of a thousand, and it wasn't just that he dropped the fly ball. It was clear frustration afterwards and then a light jog to the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the weird part, And that's the part that Cubs fans because when I asked, it's like, why do you guys hate him so much? Because he's always been one of my favorite players to watch. It was when he struggled. It was the way that he's struggling, and I know he's kind of a nonchalant guy, so I think some of it, maybe in the early going was a little bit maybe unfair because just kind of the way he plays almost looks like he's trying less hard than he is. I think sometimes he is trying hard, just kind of the way he moves. But I think there was a point in which it just was like, hey, there should be a little bit more urgency here and we're not seeing it. And I think the same thing's happening now in LA. And the other point that that podcast P did bring up, though offensively, that I think is interesting, twenty five percent of his batted balls in LA are pulled ground balls, and his barrel percentage against fastballs doubles on the road. It's just feels like he's cheating. He's over aggressive, he's pressing too much in LA. But it's funny combining that with the fact that the effort isn't always there as weird. At least last year I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I'm like, he's dealing with the calf thing. Maybe he was banged up contract year. He's playing through it, but he just doesn't want to really really get hurt. So maybe not busting it down the line could be justifiable when you're dealing with it with a calf thing and you know you're still a star potential bat, like you're there to hit this year. I don't. There's no way to defend it, and it's been a tough watch. He looks like he doesn't want to be out there.
Speaker 2: And what stinks about Kyle Tucker too, is that Kyle Tucker is not good because he's a good hitter. Kyle Tucker is a great player because he's phenomenal on all sides of the ball. I mean, Kyle Tucker at one point was one of the best defensive right fielders in all of baseball. Kyle Tucker is a guy who can steal thirty bases and is a borderline elite base runner. But the problem is, it's almost like he now thinks all he can contribute is with the bat, and he lets it bleed into the defense, he lets it lead in to the base running. He's not as aggressive on the bases anymore, he's not making those defensive plays, and he's almost reduced himself. And again, this is all speculation. This is just what it feels like from watching Kyle Tucker. And that's the worst part about it. And that's why I wanted to bring up the defense and the base running, because those are qualities of Kyle Tucker that made him the sixty million dollars.
Speaker 3: It was to some of his parts, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It was because he was a five to a player. He's incredibly well rounded. But now it's like he's not a good defender and he's not running the base as well, and at home he simply can't hit. It just looks like a completely different player. And for him to get a rest. I don't know if that was from Dave Roberts like he said it or the front office or Kyle Tucker. I know what they could say publicly, but who knows what it really was like in that locker room, that conversation. It's just not good.
Speaker 3: And they need him right now, Like.
Speaker 2: Seven games up the division. Though I win a third straight World Series, they need him.
Speaker 3: They need him. You know, Max Munsey's been been great, I mean, and you're still getting an overall productive Otani, but you know, with the struggles of Mookie and some other guys being a little bit hot and cold, like having a good Kyle Tucker would really change things. I think the most obvious and pressing aspect though, is Edwin Diaz. You've talked about this on the show though, and like, yeah, I still think he's gonna be fine. Like I think he has to throw through it, and that's what they're expected like doing is the loose bodies thing. It's different for everybody and how they come back and how they feel. And he's just gonna have to keep throwing through it because you're gonna need Edwin Diaz too if you're gonna threepeat, so that it's gonna be fascinating to see how those things continue. But I think for for the Brewers. They went in there four game set to take three. I don't care what form of the Dodgers they currently have, the Brewers reminding everybody that you know, this is a team that can match up with anybody, and just everyone kind of did their job in this series. And Chorio is doing that thing in the second half where he really heats up, and when he does that, look out. Also last thing is Jake Bauer has been an awesome story. Four hits in that last game. He has opportunistically taken advantage of i think a larger role than he was expecting and has really been a huge piece for them in one of the breakout bats we talked about him in Surprises, one of the breakout bats of the year.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. And that's what the best team in baseball does. Backs against the wall. You go take three out of four from the Dodgers. Seventy seven wins now for Milwaukee best in baseball and three wins above teams like the Dodgers and the Braves and the Rays. Incredibly impressive season, and it's probably just gonna keep continuing because the Brows are awesome.
Speaker 3: Before we hit the break, I'd be remiss one thing I do need to mention about the Angels Ben Joyce. Ben Joyce, he had laboram surgery and he's throwing one of five. Labram surgery and throwing one O five is unbelievable. That guy must have one. He's a freak. Two he must have worked his ass off post top to come back from that. Just really cool. He's worth watching. You can turn on in the nine if they're in a safe situation.
Speaker 2: Is fun, no doubt about it. Before we hit the break, thank you everybody joining us here live on YouTube. The best way to support these YouTube live streams if you're enjoying the show is make sure to just hit that subscribe button and also hit that like button. And thank you to everybody for filling up the comments section on YouTube. We really really appreciate it. And then if you're listening to us after the fact on audio, best way to support the show is by leaving a five star review podcast p which mine's sending us to Hampton Farms, peanuts or a break. You choose, all right. Next series up is the Orioles taken on the Tampa Bay Rays Game one. Orioles win six to five. We get a two to two tie going into the seventh, highlighted by a Colton Cowser homer, and in the seventh Dylan Beaver's ripped a single to score two, and then Gunner Henderson followed that up in the eighth with his twentieth homer of the season. Has been red hot since the moment I dove into his struggles late rally. In the ninth of the Rays fell just short and the Orioles win six to five. Chris Bassett slid in his return five and a third two earned runs, moved to Game two, Orioles win four to three and ten innings. It was a sixth inning battle between Ian Seymour and Kyle Bradish as the Orioles got two off homers from Pete Alonzo and Christian and carnassion Strand, while the Rays got a big time triple from Cedric Mullins that brought in a run. But in the bottom of the ninth, the Rays were down three to two and Cammonaro dribbled one to third and beat the throw to tie it. And he was hyped and we had the extras, but he wasn't hype for very long. In the tenth, Tyler O'Neal singled to center to score Kowser and that was enough to win it. Moved to Game three. Can the Rays avoid the sweep? Nope? Orioles boat race them ten to two. Ryan Valaid homerd in the fourth to open this scoring and Freddy Peralta was cruising through four, but it was all Oriols from there. Cowser homer it again. Alonso and Cees had RBI doubles, Jackson Holliday had multiple RBI hits, and Trevor Rodgers went six strong with two runs allowed. Orioles sweep and sit in the last wild card spot in the American League. I want to talk about Pete Alonso because I feel like he's having an underrated season Offensively. Mets didn't want him, nobody values first base hitting anymore Orioles did, and he's been just an awesome hitter all season long. But how about the pickup of Christian and Carnassi o Strand I was surprised that the Reds just kind of dropped him. It must have been a forty man crunch or something. It's just a guy who's been hurt that never really got a shot. But when he was up in Spurts, he displayed the power and is a true power threat. I'm just surprised that they dropped him off for nothing, but good for the Orioles for picking him up and inserting him into the lineup. And he's been a power threat as soon as we're on that uniform.
Speaker 3: He's one of those guys that I mean, you can plug him in, ride the wave and when he's hot, like absolutely can give you a bit of a jolt, and you know, just to be able to plug in the meantime, I think has been big for them. Samuel Osio is already close to returning too. He just was playing Triple A put some great swings on balls from what I saw, So you're gonna be bringing him back into the lineup soon as well. And yeah, you mentioned Pete Alonzo. Peter Alonzo. Since the All Star break, and this is not including Sunday's game, he's sitting three oh seven with a one to sixty one WRC plus he and it's not just like he's launching homers every day. He's and this is always the underrated part about Pete is he's a good freaking hitter. He's just a good hitter. So when he heats up it's not just the homers. He's giving you doubles. He's getting you big bass hits. He's not striking out much like he has been one of the better hitters since the break. You pair that with like every time I think Gunner's breaking out of it, he like slows down a little bit. But Gunner's been putting good swings on balls late. We got robbed a couple of times on Sunday, but I've been liking what I've seen from his abs, and obviously anything from where he was before will be an improvement. I thought this team was dead, I really did, and no one's fully dead in the American League. But Shane By has snapped in and given them quality start after quality start. Bradish has settled in, Trevor Rodgers is settled, and all of a sudden, you're like, well, and with bro what Brandon Young's doing, You're like, you got a pretty good shot. Four days out of the week. Bassett came back, as you mentioned, and it's it's interesting, all of a sudden they're doing that with Blaize Alexander getting hurt, who's been one of their bigger pieces this year, that they go, you know, just to be able to plug in different areas. As I mentioned, they're gonna get Pisillo back. It feels like we can change the narrative around the American League in which team's gonna sneak in pretty much every given week in roundup. But the Orioles are playing their way now into the fact that they're gonna be playing meaningful games, you know, through the rest of this season probably. And then one other underrated thing was Dylan Beaver's was banked up a lot of this year. He's healthy and he's starting to come alive a little bit. I think a lot of their players that even like if they're not fully breaking out, they were really struggling, they're at least not like superch like super struggling anymore, and they're giving them competitive at bats. You combine that all together with a hot Pete Alonso and you're seeing a really good team all of a sudden, with the way that they've been playing.
Speaker 2: Been impressed with Tyler O'Neal as well. Since the calendar turned to August, he's put up a one sixty three WRC plus, hitting close to three hundred, slugging over five hundred, and he's got three home runs, so that's obviously a big addition. And somebody who they signed which hasn't really given them anything, but if he can help them get into the playoffs, I'm sure Orioles fans will be like, you know what, water under the bridge, money well spent. If you can keep hitting like this and we get to October. And it's really just on the offense if the Orioles want to make it, because the pitching is doing their job. The bullpen has been solid, the starting rotation, right, you already mentioned Shane Bosse. You know, we had a tough start in his last turn, but at the same time, like that's like his first bad start in what two months, So your total point is absolutely true. Kyle Bradish is still the dog. Brandon Young, like you said, Trevor Rodgers just is automatic. Six innings, two runs at this point, you know, they got they have a decent staff. They just have to hit. And right now they're hitting and their winning. It's really that simple for them. It's just about them consistently stringing those together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think for the Rays, like they also to beat them at the trop sweep them at the trap pretty pretty crazy. I'm never gonna sign the Alarms on a series from the Race the Oreos, who played the Race tough all year long. So just one of those series if you're the Rais and just see how you bounce back.
Speaker 2: It's almost with the Rays. It's like you were due for this. You came into the you came into this series forty one and eighteen at home? What are you the nineteen twenty seven Yankees, Like, what are you talking about? Like it's an unsustainable win loss record. So it doesn't surprise me that a hot Orioles team who's played well against the Rays and knows the trop well came in and won a series and those baths just got hot. Like if I'm the Rays whatever, like I wouldn't give a shit, really if I'm the Race. It's more the only reason I would is just because it's a division rival and you want to beat. But in terms of you're in first place, it's not like the Yankees are playing well, the Red Sox are on a slide. You're five and a half games up, you know, in the division, like you could afford.
Speaker 3: This, and Freddie had one of the better starts we've seen them in this year was short leash. But you know. I thought it was actually too short of a lesion. That's why part of the reason why the Rais ended up blowing it. I think they should have let you know, Freddie finish out the fifth inning there. They didn't, but he was solid for four and two thirds.
Speaker 2: And speaking about another team in this division, the Red Sox lost series to the Pirates this weekend. Game one, Pirates went eight to four. Rafael Flora has got the scoring started for Pittsburgh with a homer, and then they just piled on in the fourth and fifth as Million Valdez had an RBI double. Flores came up big again with an RBI single, and Brandon Loo hit a three run homer his twenty sixth of the season to put the game out of reach. And Bubba Chandler tossed five innings to two run ball the Lower Zira to four to two three. He's been fun to watch. But in Game two, Red Sox win four to zero because Sonny Gray said, nope, I ain't losing shit. Take a bow, Sonny Gray. Seven innings, no runs, seven k's is the area's down to two sixty five. He's hunting for that cy Young. I know he's got two horses in front of him, but incredible season from him and William Bray You Homer Monasterio and Jami Jones said RBI hits and Joe Jones on the other side for Pittsburgh did pitch well. He just allowed one run in five innings with seven punches, but obviously they got shut out. Game three, the rubber match, Pirates win eight to three, and they mounted a seven zero lead early as Brian Reynolds and Brandon lou had multiple RBI hits. Connor Wong with Homer in the fifth a three run shot to narrow the gap, but then we had a long rain delay. Game ended quietly as Nick York ripping an RBI single was the lone run after that delay, and that was it. Pirates win. They win the series. Red Sox drop a couple another Red Sox said, it's sixty six and fifty eight. There's still five games up in the Wild Card. Like overall, they're fine, but ever since that crazy run, they've started to fall flat on their face a little bit. On the other side, the Pirates are trending up sort of. They're still keeping things moderately interesting. It's just with the Pirates, their numbers are better than they are. They're a top ten offense this year by WRC plus. Like, they have good names in the rotation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're liable to do this at any time.
Speaker 2: They added Luke Weaver to the bullpen like. It's a good team that has been ravaged by injuries this year and Paul Skeens had to skip his start on Sunday. It's been a weird year. It's been a weird year for the Pirates, and I got to be honest, I expected better. But this is an example of a series that shows Pirates fans like they are good. It's having kind of a wacky season.
Speaker 3: I do agree. I think it's it's a team that was I think put together and to be better than it has been. And yeah, things have happened, and even you could just say Skiens, if he was Skiens, that they expected this year. They're probably right at five hundred and and probably right in the in at least much closer to the wild card conversation. I mean, they win this game, uh, the final of the series too. In it where you scratch the scratch, Skens have Lake Baker starting and going three innings. He's been mostly a reliever. You know, he's been a reliever all year, sometimes going multi inning but not three. And then Hunter Barco on the piggyback and you win that ballgame. As you mentioned, the bats came alive and uh and in a series where do they see all of the top i'ms no, but they still saw Sunny Gray. Jake Bennett's been efficient and effective this year. Big thing for me is Sonny Gray Man, like this guy at his age to just not even be fading at all, like at the end of this year, to go seven shutty, get that era down to two six five. He has just been so much fun to watch this year and just you're seeing I think a form of a picture that this stuff is still really good. But you're seeing him like just just develop into this way of being able to know how to maximize his arsenal execute well and he just looks like that's surgical polished arm at thirty six years old, and he's just a really fun arm to watch.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting this comes to us from Blue JAYSM. Two three seven. Ever since Red Sox acquired Adley, they've been struggling. Are we on in division? Curse watch?
Speaker 3: You know, I think coming back from injury is always tough with a new team. But I already have friends that are Red Sox fans who are rarely rational telling me that they don't like Adlie. I go, I already know, like you heard it here first, I congrats, you're first on the take that your your new catcher stinks. I think Adwy's going to be a good asset for them, But this is part of the risk when you acquired him. He gets hurt. He's been hurt a good bit, and that's usually contributed to sometimes some sporadic play. He's gonna need some time to get his feet under him. And obviously what he brings to the table value wise is beyond just what he does with the bat. But he hasn't done anything with the bat so far yet. So yeah, I mean, I think that's part of it. But I also think it's just a little bit of a a little bit of a slide. After the team was, you know, the high on the planet, there was always gonna be a little bit of a normalization period. Still a really good team, and again the Pirates got hot at the right time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Connor Wong hit a homer on Sunday, But going into Sunday's game. Connor Wong in six games since the deadline is hitting one forty three, one eighty two, three thirty three and Atlee Rutchman seventy one, two, seventy eight, oh seventy one. Yeah, great idea. All right, you ready to move on to the next series. We got the d Backs taking on the Atlanta Braves. Game one, d Backs win two to zero. Brandon Thought is a changed man. Seven shutty, two hits, no walks, seven strikeouts. We were talking about him in our Discord podcast. P was chiming in two and I forget who said it, but immediately I was like, that's a great take. He said, he almost looks like prime Michael King right now. Chris Sale on the other side, was also awesome. Toss six innings a one run ball with nine ks to lower his he rated two to one six. He's aging like fine wine. Just the Braves didn't score, so they didn't win. I did the d Back score Moreno had an RBI ground out, Tim Tawa had a homer. Just great pitching from this one from Arizona, holding Atlanta to just three hits all game. Moved to Game two. D Backs offense showed up in this one, ten to three win. The Braves put up two in the first inning, highlighted by Ronald Acuney junior home run, but from there it was all snakes. It was six to two after the fourth, highlighted by a Nolan Arenado homer, and then in the seventh Aeron od ohomer it again, his twentieth Aeronautos got twenty homer and then Iil tomorrow. Vargas added the exclamation point with a three round home run and the greatest pitcher alive, Edward and Rodriguez just keeps shoving ever since the World Baseball Classic. This guy, this guy's hair is on fire. Six innings, five hits, two earned, five punches, his eras down to two, seven to one. What a season. But in Game three, Brave salvage they win five to three. It was one one tie going into the fifth, highlighted by Gabby Moreno homer, but Acuna broke that tie with an RBI double, But two innings late, Vargas tied it back up with his second homer in as many games, but then Maddio matt Olson rock to three run homer to center, his thirty sixth of the season and the Braves close it out. Bryce Elder pitched really well, toss six innings, one run ball with five strike ups. But I want to ask you about that take in our discord about Brandon Fott looking like prime Michael King. What do you think about the changes that Brandon Fott has made.
Speaker 3: I think that's fun because it is interesting, like with King when he's executing and it's it's like execution dependent, but he got really good at executing consistently. I think with thought, you know, do a little bit of a tweak where a little bit less of the slider, more more change up, a little bit more for steamer, so he's more four seam change up, and then I think it's still setting up the breaking balls will work morizontally. It's helped him keep left. He's at Bay a lot more. I mean podcast he has it up here since returning from Triple A. You see that four seam usage up, which of course is going to cut into the sinker usage a good bit. The four seam changer kind of change up tunnel that he creates works really well. That sweeper was still really good right on right, but now you're not throwing that to lefties, as much, and then he still has the cutter to bridge and the curve ball, So I just think you've got to respect all the offerings more. I think it's changing the way that you can try to prepare for Brandon Fought and the arm angle and just the funkiness. Like this is a guy that we've seen have a lot of success at the big league level and have a lot of success in the playoffs and you know, and really high leverage contexts, and just to come back and make that a little bit of adjustment and have the success immediately, I think is really encouraging and huge, big reason why this Diamondbacks team is where they are right now.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. Anything else on this series, because you know, we could talk about the Atlanta Braves, but it's kind of like the Rays, like whatever. He dropped a series to a hot Diamondbacks team who you know is really in the hunt, while you guys have a solid division lead offense didn't really show up this weekend. But at the same time, you kind of got pieced by a starter that is just on fire right now and you haven't seen you know, his new pitch mix, and you know how he you know, sequences everything, so and then they got the big homer for metalson and they salvaged this series. Like I didn't really have anything on Atlanta and on the d back side, I really just wanted to focus on Brandon Fox, Yeah, because I feel like he is the story from the series.
Speaker 3: Since he's returned, opponents are hitting one eighty four against that change up that he's throwing again twice as much. But the other crazy part is that the fastballs, whether it's a four seamer or the sinker, were getting crushed before. I at least hit pretty hard before. Since he's returned foughts holding opponents to a one forty one batting average on the fastball, but a one seventy two slug on that four seamer as well, compared to in that span the sinker is about a four to thirty six slug three zero eight batting average. So to be able to go to that four seamer have the success that he's having generate some more whifts and weak five balls, which also sets up the change up. It's been huge for him. And again that sweeper still doing its thing, he just doesn't have to lean on it as much because it's not pitch that you want to be, you know, spamming too much, because again, Righty's can start a game plan for it a little bit more, and of course left eas are going to see it a lot better.
Speaker 2: Do we have any update on Corbyn Burns because I'm just thinking, if you get a healthy Corbyn Burns by October, Let's say the Dbacks make the playoffs, you go Burns five E, rod Soroca. Yeah, we're talking. That's like the best rotation they've had since the twenty twenty three World Series run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the hope is that Burns could be back by early September and can make a hand like several starts before the playoffs. And I mean, if you get that, that's really exciting. I think just anything from Burns, and then also, you know, Justin Martinez is getting I think pretty close, pretty close. And then also the Dbacks just activated to Jordan Lawler, who hit five homers in four games on rehab, and like, that's a guy that can plug into a lot of different places to you know, help this offense. So but I think I think you could see Martinez back really really soon, and what that would do for a bullpen that's already been playing great.
Speaker 2: Is exciting, extremely exciting. Let's go over to the Yankees against the Blue Jays. Game one, Blue Jays went three to one. Shout out Shane Bieber. I thought he looked so good. Six innings, four hits, one earned five strikeouts in a huge game against Garrett Cole. And speaking about Cole, he was great too. Six innings and two run ball of five hits allowed five k's zerra is down a three to two to two, but the Jays did just enough to win. It was scoreless until the sixth. Most pitchers were dealing, but then Trent Grisham went yard, but the Jays would answer, and then some as George Springer and Alejandro Kirk both had RBIs and then in the eighth, Alejandro Kirk supplied the Dagger with a home run. Game two, Blue Jays went four to one. Cam Schlitzler did his best to keep the Yankees in this one, pitching into the six while only allowing one run and striking out seven. But the j staff highlighted by Ricky Tiedeman's debut. Even though Ricky Tiedeman did allow the only run in this game, but it was cool seeing him making his debut. You know is I think he only got what five outs, but I don't know. I thought it was cool. It's one of the Blue Jay's top prospects. The whole blue Jay staff shut it down and Charles McAdoo led the offense two RBI hits just enough to get the win. And then in Game three Yankee salvage. They went four to three in ten innings. Dylan se saw what Schlitler did and said, I'm gonna one up you kind of. He pitched it into the seventh, and he allowed just two hits in two runs with ten k's, but the Yankees ground grinded it out in order to avoid the sweep. And how about Ryan weathers Arm on the other side, He was even better than Cease and better than Schlitler. Pitched into the eighth while allowing just one run with four punches, lowering his aire to three, five, six, and Jose cabiiro broke the one to one tie with an RBI single, but Ernie tied it up in the ninth on a sack fly and we sent it to extras, and then Ben Rice's two run shot, his thirty third of the season in the tenth ended up being the difference and another conversation that we were having in the discord, and I'm so glad Podcast p broke this down again in Our Distant If you want to join the best baseball group chat in the world, we're having conversations like this all the time. You can find the link to join in the episode description. But he was talking about pitch usage tweak, not as drastic as a Brandon fought, but it's definitely a different pitcher podcast Beef. You could throw it up first half four one five ERA ninety seven innings as you can see a forcing dominant guy. He's got five pitches all above ten percent, so he mixes and matches, but the for seane led the way. Now that for seam usage went from twenty seven percent in the first half to just ten percent in the second half. Throwing his sinker more. His change up is now his most used pitch with the sweeper and the slider, and he's posted a one to nine to eight ERA. He only trails Troy Melton among qualified pitchers in ERA. In the second half. Aram I said the Yankees were getting a left handed missile this off season. They handed missile, don't they well?
Speaker 3: And this stuff with him is so fun because honestly, I've seen each of his offerings be above average or better at certain points. Like really you see the fastball perform when he's feeling good. I mean it's it's lively, But I've seen that slider be disgusting. I've seen that change up looked like a plus pitch, which was a new layer for him as well, to really improve over the last couple of seasons, you know, before the trade, even you know in Miami, Like he has the ability to kind of ride what's working for him, but also just to tweak and adjust and see what works against certain lineups, and it's it's truly a disgusting four pitch mix that that really works. So seeing him just being able to like you know, adjust and maybe push the levers, pull back on certain offerings, use the other ones more. He's somebody that can absolutely do that because of how good they each are, and sometimes it's just a matter of what he's got to feel for in that time as well. I love that you shout it out tied him into, by the way, because there was a point where this was arguably the best left in of pitching prospect in baseball. Unfortunately, he's just never been available. Injuries have really ravaged him. He burst onto the scene in twenty twenty two tetament uh seventy eight and two thirds innings at a two to one seven ERA across low A, High A and Double A, and then everyone's lined up really excited to see him. Only throws forty four innings the year after that, and then twenty four only through seventeen and a third, missed all of twenty twenty five with Tommy John and then in twenty twenty six he's just been hurt even to start the year, dealing with the neck issue some other different things, and so he has barely thrown this year. As he came back recently, that was enough that the budget said, let's just get you. Let's just get you on the big league roster and get your thrown at the big league level and see if we can work you back into you know, more lengthened roles from there. But it's a nasty, nasty angle that he creates. It's a lively fastball from that angle. He's got great secondaries. The slider is a really good pitch for him, and the change up has flashed as well, so he can be a really good lefty reliever at work and is probably where he lands now because of the injuries, but still a very talented twenty three year old arm that the blue Jays, you know, I have been hoping, you know, and dreaming on huge upside for for a long time.
Speaker 2: And the pitching for the Blue Jays has been the biggest reason that they've clawed back in this hunt. Even though they lost on Sunday to the Yankees, they're now just being sorry.
Speaker 3: To take two a three though, So it's it's deck building.
Speaker 2: Take two a three year a game back. You had one seven of your last nine. But the thing is, the lineup is kind of Alejandro Kirkin friends now the friends like Charles McAdoo and Bateman Like this comment says, it's the Bateman mcadow era in Toronto right now. Like they're filling a role nicely. But at the end of the day, it's been on the backs of this pitching staff, and notably in the bullpen. I mean, Mason Flew Hardy I think has a great Tyler Rodgers has just put together a phenomenal season the bullpen, right like that has been the best part about this team, and they're getting really solid pitching performances from guys like Dylan Ce's, from guys like their new edition Jose Soriano, and then you get timely enough hitting with a shut down bullpen and starting rotation. That's how you can string together wins. But if you truly want to get back into this race and you want to be a playoff team, the offense has to pick it up. Simple as that. Glad he just got put on the IL, the seven DAYIL with a concussion. Hopefully he comes back, you know when he performs. But the Jays need to string together offense because, as you can see right a good example, Brandon Fisher hadn't allowed to run in August. He's been a really good reliever for the Blue Jays. One mistake, blue Jays lose the game. Right, That was the first mistake he's made all month. And the other guys really didn't make mistakes either, But all it took was that because they only put up three. The offense needs to figure it out. So I get they're playing better, but it's just hard for me to really buy in until I see that offense turn it around. And even though they took two out of three from the Yankees. The Yankees offense is just awful, awful, awful. So again I'm giving them credit because you take a series from the Yankees, it's always good. But to really believe in the Blue Jays, I gotta see the offense do more.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, I think that's fair, it's fair enough, but the pitching always is keeping their season alive, suresers even video this last three starts right, which I'm always gonna enjoy seeing him just pile up numbers. But yeah, I'm with you there.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go over to the Gnats and the Mets. Game one. Mets win four to one. Lindor and Jared Young, Homard and Robert Stock pitched it into the fifth without allowing an earned run, and Code I Sanga.
Speaker 3: Earned his closer.
Speaker 2: He's in fun development there. Andrew Alvarez, who I think it's just had a really underrated season, pitched into the six for the Gnats while allowing just two runs. But that's offense we'll shut down, so what can you do? Then the Mets win five to four. Again, two early runs off the bat of Jared Young put the Mets in the driver's seat. But then that's what fight back and eventually take the lead in the sixth, highlighted by home runs from Andre Schaparro and Brady House. But then Carson Bench, who is He's making the National League Rookie of the eear race kind of interesting? He homered in the bottom half of the six and then Alvarez Francisco Alvarez came up clutch in the bottom of the ninth to tiet and then Lindor walked it off with a single game three. Can the Nats avoid the sweep? Nope, Mets win four to three. Now, the Nationals did get out to a too a lead, highlighted by an abbamelch Ortez home run, but from there was all Mets. Torrens hit his fourth home run his last seven games to give the Mets the lead, and Jared Young, what a series, supplied the Dagger with an RBI double. Now this kind of felt like, I want to focus on the Mets. They just sweat. But it almost felt like, all right, NAT season is over six sixty six now, Like it just felt like, if you're gonna claw your way back into this, anything can happen. The Nationals at the end of the day have the exact same WRC plus, as the Dodgers do this season second best in baseball Cubs at one to eleven knots and Dodgers at one ten. But you can't be dropping all three to this Mets team. However, the Mets have been playing better. They with no pressure on them right now. The Mets have played all season.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, so I think you're really seeing how much James Wood anchored this lineup. And James would, I mean, he's young as he is and still feels like he's still reaching his potential. I mean, he was one of the best sluggers in the sport for much of this season, and you know, for an offense, I was cooking on all cylinders. It was I think there's even an effect on Abrams when you don't have Wood behind you. So just just that impact I think is being felt here. And when we talked about how the Nationals can maybe hang around, it's okay, well, they made the bullpen better and they have this offense, but when you lose the nucleus of that offense, they're pitching all right, It's not like they got you know, the doors blown off. For anything. They lost it was four runs, five runs, four runs. They just didn't hit. And we haven't really seen a Nationals team this year that hasn't hit. So I think a big part of that is has just been not having James Wood and probably you know, Avamla Cortiz has been good, but and it's been really really solid. Honestly, he's been a great start to his career. But when you lose, when you lose Wood to injury and subtract Tolis Garcia, like I think you feel it probably a little bit more. And that's just been I think what's happened here with this offense. But I still like where the Nationals are headed. Yeah. For the Mets, I think you're seeing them just play. Yeah, as you mentioned, with nothing to lose. Francisco Indor I think is just healthy and I think that's been the biggest thing for him in the second half for Londor. Seven homers in twenty seven games, a one fifty seven WRC plus. This is one of the best catchers six, one of the best short stops in the game, and we're seeing that he's just been hurt simply so I think he's healthy and looking comfortable again and playing well. But you know, I think for the Mets, you're just hoping to build some momentum. The young players are playing well. Ben just making impacts on all fronts, right, great defender in a corner, swinging the bat well and you know, at least that's pretty much all Mets fans can ask for here is just playing some good ball and seeing your young pieces like Christian Scott made another had another good start. You know, really build some momentum going in the next Season's.
Speaker 2: Built some momentum going in the next year, right, Mets fans, how bad it? You know? The young guys are playing well? Good stuff? All right? We got five series left, podcast p would you hit us with our last? Whoah? Okay? We got the Padres and the Guardians Game one, Padres win seven to five. Cleveland got out to a three to zero lead early on homers from Nate Low and Brian Rochio, but then the Padres got to Gavin Williams, Bogarts and Tatis homerd Tatis's homer by the way, I don't know if podcast he has it once fifteen off the Batch just absolute rocket geeze and then Campusano had a two run double and all of a sudden it was five to three. Padres camp Pisano added another RBI double late and Bogart's had another RBI as the Padres stay red hot. Game two, Guardians win six to one. Joey Cantillo dominated in this one, tossing six innings of one run ball with seven k's. Joe Adell, Patrick Bailey, and Stephen Kwan all had RBI doubles and Cleveland cruise to an easy win. Moved the game three Padres blank him or at least I think so. That was the last time I checked. It was the top of the ninth. I think they won five to zero. Yeah, five zero five zero. Casey Maiz made his return to the American League Central and dominated, throwing six shutout, which is three hits alowed, and Luis Renifo, Gavin Sheets, Jace Bowen, and Jay Cronoworth all homerd Padre's cruise to a series win. Are I just think I don't know how to cover the Padres? I really just don't think I do. And I'll tell you why. The last three years before this one, I have bet Padres season futures and they have fallen flat every time, and I say, Nope, this is the year. The bullpen's too good. This team has built for October and they just haven't done it. And this was the first year I took a position against them, and a big one under eighty five and a half wins Padres to miss the playoffs, and I think I'm gonna lose both, and I think it's gonna be the only win total I lose. I think I just shouldn't talk about them anymore. I just don't know what the fuck I'm talking about when it comes to the Pawdrace. I I'm wrong no matter what I say, So you talk about them, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, dude, it's a really tough team to assess.
Speaker 2: I think I never know what Preller's doing at the deadline.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything.
Speaker 3: This this is I mean here, I think you should sum it up to this. The Padres have since the All Star break, and that's gonna be theme of just what I'm referencing throughout this episode, because I think it's important context. Now, roughly thirty game sample, they have three of the top ten players offensively since then. It's ty France who's been doing it all year, really, but at a one seventy six WRC plus for Fernando Tatis Junior to one seventy four and Jackson Merril to won sixty eight. Your pair of that with the pitching reinforcements that you added and then the bullpen that they have gradually. Rodriguez is a weapon and a half. One of my favorite relief prospects in a long time, and seeing him put it together has been awesome.
Speaker 2: What the other guys slept on? Another guy slept on, Like I'm watching him and I'm like, he's a good reliever, but he just keeps doing it over and over again, and I got I guess he's elite. Now I don't know.
Speaker 3: He don't know what they've got, guys, man, And all of a sudden, now there they've got that final wildcard spot with the with the DBACS losing, they're holding on to the third wild card spot in the game up there. The other one that's nuts is like Luis when Hepho was released, right and then they pick him up in twenty five games. In the last twenty five games, Louis when hepos hit in three, twenty two, four, sixteen, fourty eight with a one forty nine WRC plus, that's a huge jolt. We were there was a point where like who is gonna hit in this lineup? And now you have your guys, your main guys hitting, and then you've got even Louise Renhifo hitting too, so it's it's it's really amazing to see that. And then yeah, like the bullpen has just been fantastic. And then he paired that with the starting pitching reinforcements to get a start like that from myz after the slow you know, beginning with the Padres. This team's scary. Now I do think they're scary. I think the Padres are forced to be reckoned.
Speaker 2: With on the Cleveland side. I just don't really know how to evaluate them because my eyes see a mediocre team. If I'm being completely honest, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I was wrong about them.
Speaker 2: I think they're one and a half games out of wild cards. You might have, you know what I mean, Like, I don't know who don't America. They're all just a bunch of teams. It's going to be on someone to go on a run. I'm not impressed with any of them, so your guess is as good as mine. I mean, the Orioles have the final wildcard spot at sixty one and sixty three. The Guardians are the fifth team on the outside looking in of that last wild card spot, and they were a game and a half out at sixty and sixty five. I don't know, the Mariners are still technically in it, and like I think right now on Sunday Night Baseball, they're winning. Right now, they'll be like two and a half games out of the Like I don't know who else.
Speaker 3: Chase the latter hit the eil. That one hurts for the guards for sure, yep. But you know they add jo adell On Helen asmen great since they brought him up. They add Nathaniel Well, like this team should be playing better. They actually added decent pieces. But I think it really comes down to, like can jay Ram get his feet back under him and be, you know, top five player in the game jay Ram, because I think this team only you know goes as far as you know what, He's able to take them.
Speaker 2: Real quick from groovy T two, six, three, four Padres winning the World Series. I think in order for them to break through, I won't bet on their futures like I won't bet Padres playoffs, World Series stuff like I've done over the last three years and I'll just kind of let him go so they can win the World Series, because clearly I just have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to the San Diego.
Speaker 3: Padres quick correction. I don't know if he hit the il yet doatter as we're recording this, but he did leave with.
Speaker 2: A hamstring thing, and usually that you know what follows. Yeah, there you go. All right, let's go over to the White Sox versus the Tigers. Game one, White Sox win nine to five. Ben Malgieri gave the Tigers a two to one lead early with a home run. I feel like I butchered that last name. But a five run fourth inning for the White Sox put this one out of reach as Tristan Peters and munatuckam Era Coammie Homeward. Brandon Montgomery had a two run triple. Miguel Vargas also homered an inning later. But shout out Malgieri, let's see if that's right, freaking over, go ahead, I think it is.
Speaker 3: I think you got it.
Speaker 2: There we go. That's what I thought I heard on the broadcast, but then reading it, I just feel like I'm saying it wrong. But you know, it is what it is Baul Noer, not a wordsmith homer for Detroit, he homered again, but it just wasn't quite enough, and micgil Vargus homeward again the twenty seven this year Game two, White Sox win four to three. Colsi Montgomery broke the one one tie in the third with a two run double, and Wardo Valencia would answer for Detroit, he's been great for them, and then Glabird tied it up with an RBI double, but in the seventh, Andrew Bennattendi ripped an RBI single which ended up being the winning run. Moved to Game three. Can the Tiger salvage Nope, White Sox take control seven to five. Detroit got out to a three to zero lead in the second and then made it four to one in the third on a Cole Keith homer, but the Socks came roaring back Drew Romo homer, Coles Montgomery tied it up with an RBI single, and Muna Tako Murakami rocked a two run shot for the lead his twenty eighth, and then Vargas hit his twenty eighth home run the same for some breathing room, and the Socks sweep you know what the series said to me, arm the White Sox said, this is our division. Yep, this is our division. That had to be peak for White Sox fans. I mean, you got the Tigers on their tail, you got the Twins, and you got you know, a couple other teams at least playing decent ball kind of on their tails. And this was a huge series. They improved his sixty five and fifty eight. Now when we look at the American League Central and just look at the division, five and a half games up, massive series, probably the biggest series of the weekend for any team.
Speaker 3: I thought, statement, statement statement. I think if you gave Chris Getz a crystal ball and said that this is how it would go after the deadline and this would be the series that you have against the Tigers, I wonder if you would have bought more aggressively. You're five and a half up in the division. I know you got to look at the big picture, but now you're most likely barring a crazy collapse, like you're in a really good position to win this division and put yourself in the driver's seat in the playoffs. And look, I think they made some sneaky pickups and you know, we'll see what happens, but man, like five and a half, this series was pivotal. I think just just set up the final little couple of months here where you've got a month and a half, I should say, you've got a chance here if you're the Tigers, if you have a good series, you could be a game and a half out of the division. And instead you're five and a half out and your only hope feels like is the wild card barring a White Sox collapse, and the White Sox have just been holding strong, and so I just think to have this series where the team that seemed like they were heating up, we're talking about like, hey, could the Tigers kind of make this little run without Schooble and blah blah blah. Maybe they still can, but the White Sox pretty much just stiff armed them and created a ton of space and it sets them up really really nicely here. It's I think the White Sox kind of saying there's levels to this shit, and they're just a better team right now than everybody else in that division. Comfortably, it did.
Speaker 2: Feel like a Derrick Henry stiff arm just like, get the hell out of my way, this is my division. I want to shout out Chase my draft again. It's been great in August. But how about Randall? I mean the Yankees dea fade him. He's picked up for nothing, and ever since he's gone over to the White Sox, he has an ops over eight hundred. Like he's been an incredible pick up for them, and it's just been guys filling a role like Munataka Murakami in the month of August has a one away WRC plus he's been good. But it's the my drafts, it's the gritschuks, it's the Tristan Peters. Edgar Carrow has been great in five games in August. Ever since Preira has come up and you know, hit a home run. I know he's only played a handful of games, but he's done well. Like it's just a team feeding off each other right now, and not a team that anyone wants to get in front of at the moment.
Speaker 3: No, not at all, not at all. And then the only other thing I'll say is, like the obvious gaping hole for them is catch a position and you're gonna get Kyletzeal presumably back in the next couple of weeks. I think the biggest thing you're looking at is can we get Kyle Zeel comfortable with his feet under him for the playoffs? And if you have a healthy Kyletzteal, he doesn't even need to be what he was last year. If he's given you league average off and some decent defense compared to what they're getting from the catcher position right now, that would be a huge, huge plus for them too. So it's fun to watch. And then, you know, I'm excited to see what they get from you know, some of these younger arms, like Hagen Smith, he's been walking some guys, but they're swinging miss stuff there. If he hits his stride, it's another weapon out of the pen on the left side. Obviously, some of the starters have settled in decently well. So yeah, I'm interested to see how things go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also a correction on my end, I didn't actually say every sin Peyer is still a White Sock, but I didn't mention the two games that every sin Per played with the White Sox in August hit four hundred with a three forty two WRC plus. But he is now currently a Saint Louis Cardinal. Thank you to podcast p All right, let's move over to Rockies Versus Giants riveting series. Everyone watched this weekend appointment television. Game one, Rockies win five to two. Kyle Frielan was brilliant eight innings, four hits, one run, lowering r to six to two.
Speaker 3: Seven.
Speaker 2: Both teams trade runs in the fourth, highlighted by Bryce Eldridge home run, but then in the fifth Moniac brought home a run and then Zach Vin sent one into McCovey Cove. Game two, Giants win seven to one. This time it was all Logan Webb as he topped six innings one run ball with seven strikeouts and no walks. Drew Gilbert led the way he's been hot, hitting a homer, driving in two on a single, and Devors and Eldridge had RBI hits as well. And then in Game three, the rubber match, Rockies Stampa win thirteen to seven. Arm The Rockies put up thirteen runs on just nine hits because the Giants pitching staff walked ten guys and hit another batter at a Lamador and Sullivan both homer and then three RBIs. Maniac had three RBIs. Eight starters on the Rockies had a hit Devor's homer for San Francisco, but overall it was an ugly game. My buddy Tray was visiting from Colorado, and again he's from Colorado, so we were watching the Rockies game because I'm also we had the Rockies over fifty two and a half. It's the largest future I put out this season and they just keep winning, which is awesome, but it was ugly, ugly, ugly Giants, Like what do you got?
Speaker 3: I mean, Blake Tidwell had had a nice little stretch before that and just just a dud from him. It's just tough to get excited about this Giants team right now. Like because you have Chapman on the I l Casey Schmid out for season, which stinks. You know, Devers is putting some good swings on balls here and there, and but it's it's a lot of guys that are probably not going to be there next year, so that usually doesn't bode well for for watchability and and just win ability as well. On the Rocky side, Like great to see hout Al, I'm Gonnor back up there. I do think this is a guy that could still end up filling a role for them. Zach Fien. Great to see him getting an opportunity. You're seeing some of that power that he's really added there to tap into more. And I think just seeing those two guys up for the rest of the year just to see what you get is exciting. So yeah, we talked about the Rockies. At least there's young projectable pieces here and I do, I really do still believe and I'm a dorm We got the hashtag on the screen for him. I just I love the Batman I always have and it's some weird turbulence for him, but still think it could be a nice piece for them.
Speaker 2: I got a feeling that's going to be a not wrong, just early guy. Also pop quiz, where are the Rockies rank and ops this season?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, I mean at least they have of course, so I'll go eight f five now.
Speaker 2: At the same time, they're like twenty ninth at WRC plus because it's Park of Justice. But hey, how about those Rocky Yeah, however numbers, Yeah, it's dar to ball, you know what I mean. All right, let's go over to the Rangers and the A's Game one. A's win eight to three. Carlos Cortes got the game going with a bass clearing double in the first and Gage jump through five shutout in a but then he went out for the sixth and Jake Berger made him pay with the three run homer, but the A's would immediately answer with homers from McNeil and Butler in the A's take. Game one moved to Game two, Rangers win five to three. Henry Bolty ripped a three run homer for the A's in the second, but that was it as the Rangers stormed back. Nicky Lopez and Corey Seger had RBI singles, and then Wyatt Langford gave Texas the lead on a two run shot, and then Jared Kellenick, New Ranger, drove home the rangers fifth run on a single rubber match A's win five to two. Jake Berger opened the scoring with a homer, but Lawrence Butler would answer right back with a two run shot to give the A's the lead, and Berger would tie back up with an RBI ground out in the third, and we went scoreless until the seventh, where Geloff and Tommy White homered, which was enough to give the A's the series win. Jacob Lopez looked good, going six innings a two run ball with six K's nice series win with the A's. I want to praise him, but at the same time, I couldn't be more frustrated watching the Rangers right now. Here's your lane. Yeah, the Angels and you have the A's go beat them, pretty easy schedule, and they're not just splitting, they're losing. I mean, you're just letting the division fall from your grasp. Yeah, I mean the Astros are not playing excellent baseball right now. I'm not saying they're playing bad baseball, but they left an opening if you were to go dominate those bad teams, and instead they just lose two out of three to those teams. Like if I was a Rangers fan and I'm a Rangers futures better, I know I'm frustrated. I can't imagine just watching this team being like, it's right there in front of you, take it, and they just can't.
Speaker 3: And I think this, if you tell me I gotta win a series, I don't know. If there's a lot of teams I'm wanting to schedule first before the Athletics right now, and just to not be able to take that series is tough. It definitely is. And I mean the athletics. They lost Soldiers from two. I mean, this team is incredibly short ended and just just a really tough series for the Rangers. It's frustrating there. I want to shout out Henry Boltsey, like I think this is a super freak talent. I've talked about him a guy that was top fifty because of the things that he put together in our top one hundred list before graduating. Because it's eighty wheels and you've seen the Reds get better in the outfield. It's elite batspeed, but it's usually been on the ground. He's shored some of these things up. He's improved the approach. I still think this is gonna be a guy that you look at maybe next year and the year after that. Just the way he keeps building. He could put it together and become a really dynamic center fielder for them. But other than that, I mean, yeah, there's just not a ton to get excited about right now. Offensively, Like this is already team that was falling off a cliff, that is playing without Nick Kurtz, without Shane lang Lears, now without Tower Soderstrom, no Rooker, of course, and you lose two out of three it's a really tough series for the Rangers, really.
Speaker 2: Tough, and podcast Peace said he has a good Jacob Latts note. So this comes to us from podcast peas twitter page at Baseball with Peyton bsbl Make sure you go follow him. Jacob Lats has twelve four plus out saves this season. He is the only pitcher to have at least ten such saves in a season in the twenty twenties. All Star those numbers. He's form, But the Rangers just think.
Speaker 3: That they should put him in the rotation. I know he should have stretch him out like he's nasty.
Speaker 2: He really is. All right, Let's go over to the Mariners versus the Astros. Game one. Astros win ten to seven and ten innings. I said the White Sox probably the best series for a team. I think this might have been the best game of the weekend. It was a wild game. Seattle score two in the first before Jordon answered with a homer and then Cam Smith ripped an RBI troubled to tie it. Then Pena and Parade's made it five to two with our singles. But then Seattle battles all the way back. As brock Roden had a clutch double to tie it up at the eighth, and then we just head to extras and the Mariners put up two in the top of the tenth, but Parade's and varshow would tie it up at RBI singles and then Christian Walker thumped one to left walked it off three run homer. Game two, Mariners took out their anger from last night with four runs early off the bat from Cole Young, Victor Roebliss, and Brandon Donovan, but then Vasquez homered for Houston, but Seattle just kept the ball rolling. Donovan ended with three hits and three RBIs. Cole Young had three hits, one of them being a homer, and four RBIs can Zone, j Rod and Naylor and Robliss all had multiple hits, and Emerson Hancock on the mound went seven strong innings with only two runs allowed. And as we sit here right now, cal Rawlely just homer. The Mariners lead three to one. So there's the potential for the Mariners winning this series. But I see one. But I see a one next to the Astros, which means Brian wu has gone back to back starts throwing well on the road. How about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which is huge. It's it's huge. I mean, he's one of the bigger variables. I just think they can help this team piece together down the stretch, though too obviously most of the variables that are gonna be offensive. It's hard with this year is because like the Mariners, they need it. They really need to hold on in this third game. So we'll see what happens. But like I it's I know it's only one series and there's still some time left, but you drop two out of three, uh, just with the way things have been going already, Like I think it would be really galvanizing. You'd hope so to go to Houston, take two out of three and hope that it can be like the start of something positive, like you're searching for anything if you're the Mariners, because you're still alive because of how bad you know, the American League is. It's that you don't need much to have that kind of galvanizing like, hey, we can do this, and I think taking two out of three in Houston would do that for them.
Speaker 2: Are the Astros gonna win the division at eighty two and eighty.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be like the Seahawks that one year and then went like seven to nine and made the playoffs and then won the first round.
Speaker 2: Look at the NFC South last year, Panthers won the division eight to nine on a tiebreaker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be like that. And then that's a team that like ends up surprising in the playoffs with the World Series because it works. It's gonna be I think, one of the worst records to win a division I think in a long time. But yeah, like the Mariners are, even if they win this, they're kind of they're kind of out of it, right, Like, do you do you really feel like they can get back into this thing.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I've been out on the Mariners for like two months now. Yeah, kind of said that, so my just opinion hasn't changed. So I didn't think they'd be good two months ago when everyone was saying they were gonna bounce back, and I was like, they can't hit, and their pitchers all have problems on the road, and they're a bullpen arm short of a really solid bullpen. Like this team is not as good as everyone is saying.
Speaker 3: And then they're gonna be two and a half out if they hold on, And now.
Speaker 2: They're two and a half out there probably gonna make the playoffs. No, I stand by what I said. I think the Mariners are on the outside looking into the playoffs. I mean, if you're two and a half games out, like the Guardians are one and a half games out at sixty and sixty five.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest thing too, is like, it's not just about how many games you are out. And I think this is the part that kind of gets lost for some for people and even us in the conversation, it's how many teams you have to leap frog, right, It's not just the games. You have to be better than one the Guardians, the Twins, the Tigers, the Blue Jays, the Rangers, and then you need to be better than the Orioles, so even better than all of those teams to get in.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really good point because we can say, oh, they're only this much out, but that means every other team is going to have to go on a slide for you to jump them. And on top of it, it's not like the Mariners have been unlucky this year where it's like they're one of these teams with the positive run differential and if they just start getting things clicking. I mean the Mariners negative twenty four run differential, They're expected win losses fifty nine and sixty five. This is what they are. They're a team that is very inconsistent. They can't win on the road, and when they go up against teams that are five hundred above their twenty four and twenty eight that's who they are. They're below average team. It's shocking. I didn't project it at the beginning of the season, that's for sure. But how much more dotage we need?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, they're they're really technically one team away from the worst record in the league because the Athletics and the Angels are tied, so they're closer to the basement than they are in the playoffs. But you know, technically they could get hot and do it and at least they have the puncher's chance there and they if they hold on here, they did what they needed to to at least win this series. But if I'm you know, an Astros fan, I don't think I'm losing much sleep hundred. The only thing is Hunter Brown, like five walks again tonight, and also the Astros just scored, so yeah, but Brown's got it, Like if this Astros team is going to make a run and be, you know, kind of a sneaky, scary team. Like Brown's got to snap in here, and I know he's been putting together some better starts. I thought he really snapped in when it was seven shutty, but then the last few it's like five and two thirds, two runs, six innings, three runs, five innings, three runs, like multiple walks in each of those addings. If he can snap into something close to what we've seen him be in the last couple of years, I feel totally different about this team because that could be a guy that game one matches anybody.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. Nick Allen, by the way, hit the homer off Bride wil That's baseball for you. So that'll do it for this episode of the Round Up. Hopefully everybody enjoyed. Again, special thank you to everyone who joined us here live on YouTube. The best way to support the show make sure to just like the video before you bounce and hit that big red subscribe button. And if you're listening to us on audio after the fact, again, the best way to support the show is by leaving a five star review. Shout out to podcast p for brilliant, producing, fact checking stats the whole nine yards for us on every single episode. And if you want to chat with us or dive into more of than these players, we're talking baseball all day in the best baseball group chat in the world. You can find the link to join in the episode description. And if you want to get yourself some just baseball merch, how about it? Find that in the description as well. Arm ladies, I'm pure Apple. See you guys on Tuesday live on YouTube at one thirty pm Eastern. With that, thank you everybody,