Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news. This is the Daily Joke with.
Speaker 3: Your host, Daisy Eli Daily Show.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna like, We've got so much to talk about tonight. Elon Musk gets marked as spam, Russia and America share friendship bracelets, and Trump sticks a foot in his mouth. But for once, it's not his own. So let's get right into it.
Speaker 3: I've been a comedy.
Speaker 4: Let's kick off with the war in Ukraine. Donald Trump promised he could secure a peace deal within one day of taking office, which means he is now negative thirty four days ahead of schedule.
Speaker 3: Good work, sir.
Speaker 4: As we know, the Ukraine War began in twenty twenty two when Putin invaded Ukraine on three separate fronts while launching missile attacks on Ukrainian cities, or as Donald Trump puts it.
Speaker 5: President Trump has made a series of false assertions blaming Ukraine for starting the war.
Speaker 6: You should have never started it.
Speaker 5: You could have made a deal.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting interpretation, and that it's not what happened.
Speaker 3: In fact, it's the exact opposite of what.
Speaker 4: Happened, and this has set off alarm bells for a lot of conservatives, including Brian Kilmead, Trump's buddy and the Joey Tribiani of Fox and Friends.
Speaker 3: He tried to gently push back.
Speaker 4: When Trump started to blame the destruction of Ukraine on President Zelensky.
Speaker 7: You have a man who's led a country that had the most beautiful cities. They demolished, had the most beautiful domes. Those domes are the most beautiful Russians.
Speaker 3: But that's Russia's fault.
Speaker 7: Those Russia demolished two thousand year old domes and everything's demolished.
Speaker 2: But mister President, that's all. That's Vladimir Putin's fault.
Speaker 7: I get tired of listening to it. It makes it very hard to make deals. But look what's happened to his country. It's been demolished.
Speaker 2: But no, no, I hear you, President, But you know who's blame for that?
Speaker 7: That's what.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it's Vadimir Putin that did the invasion unwarranted to try to take back landy had no right to. And those you think fundamentally that's that. And if you could just get now now both sides want to talk it seems so we should just get to that point.
Speaker 7: They only want to talk because of me.
Speaker 4: But this is how off the rails Trump is his blood. Fox News is saying, mister President, you sound crazy, and I believe DEI causes tornadoes.
Speaker 3: And he's right.
Speaker 4: Not about the DEI causing tornadoes. We all know trans people caused tornadoes, but about this war. Under Donald Trump, America has fully taken Russia's side, which means are we the bad guys?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Well that didn't answer that, but I think we might be the bad guys. It's not just Republicans who are alarmed. The entire continent of Europe is freaking the fuck out. If the United States will help Russia take over Ukraine. Who's next? Poland, Latvia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Albania, Estonia. Yeah, I got a ninety seven in AP geography, Thank you, thank you. I would have gotten a hundred, but I misspelled my name. So yesterday Europe tried to get Trump back on its side by sending over its most charismatic Trump whisperer, you all, Macrone of France, And right from the start of that meeting you could really see how he let his scar down.
Speaker 6: That is the most beautiful language. I have no idea what he said, but that is the views move elegant, beautiful language.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Trump just loves a French accent, probably because it's the native tongue of his hero pepe Le pew something about that pervert skunk that Trump finds so relatable. But Macron's accent gives him a lot of leeweighted gently correct Trump every time he spews bullshit.
Speaker 9: I mean this walk off to the office a lot of money, and this is the responsibility of Russia because the aggressor is Russia.
Speaker 7: Europe is loaning the money to Ukraine.
Speaker 6: They get their money back.
Speaker 9: No, in fact, to be to be frank.
Speaker 8: We paid.
Speaker 9: We paid sixty person of the totally fault and it was who I like. The US lows guarantee grants and we provided to pay and money.
Speaker 2: At it.
Speaker 3: What did that smile? The guy is smitten.
Speaker 4: Usually if someone confronts him about being wrong, he takes away their security detail. But he's letting Macron do whatever he wants. I think a sexy accent is his kryptonite.
Speaker 3: I assumed it was vegetables.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 4: To be fair, it's not just Macron Trump was swooning over anyone with a sexy accent.
Speaker 9: I want to know if you what is your idea about either if you wanted to make the same.
Speaker 6: Thing, Can you talk a little louder? You have a beautiful voice like them in these days? Use Where are you from?
Speaker 10: Italy?
Speaker 6: From Italy?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: I loved Italy?
Speaker 4: Oh Italy? I love that restaurant with the grocery store.
Speaker 7: It's out.
Speaker 3: Oh now lit so good? Now tell me which section are you from Fromaggio produce self checkout.
Speaker 4: By the way, Trump is the only person on earth who has ever asked an Italian person to talk louder.
Speaker 3: Of course, as we saw it last.
Speaker 4: Week, not every accent does it for him. Sometimes it just confuses him.
Speaker 9: With the present.
Speaker 8: People would be welcoming your decision to extradite the Hubboga.
Speaker 6: I can't understand what he said, dude.
Speaker 4: Come on, if you don't understand what someone is saying, don't be rude and dismiss them.
Speaker 3: Just laugh and go, oh my god, that's.
Speaker 4: So crazy, like a normal person. I mean, is Trump sure that he wants to be president? Because this is the worst job in the world. If you don't understand accents, it's like working as an escort if you're still not one hundred percent sure which hole it's supposed to go in. Although would that actually make you a great escort?
Speaker 3: I guess we'll never know.
Speaker 4: By the way, if you're wondering how tough Indian accents are for Trump, he had to get a translator for it, not for the language, for the accent.
Speaker 11: It is evident that how the state of the United So what is yours?
Speaker 12: And what is the rule that the dead?
Speaker 4: I can't believe Doge is going around looking for inefficiencies. Meanwhile, Trump has an English to English translator. But if you do have to have a translator for accents, why does the translator also.
Speaker 3: Have an accent? Maybe the plan was.
Speaker 4: To have a string of translators with slightly less of an accent until they finally got to something Trump could process. Eventually, it'll just be the word Bangladesh written across the boobs of a swimsuit model.
Speaker 3: Oh, now I get it. Anyway, back to Macron.
Speaker 4: Now, you might think that it's not wise for Europe to hinge its survival on the seductive power of Macron's accent, but Trump himself admitted that it works.
Speaker 6: I just want to fail you a little, sir. So we were at the Eiffel Tower having dinner with your wonderful wife and with my wonderful wife, and we came out and he started speaking the French steel and we didn't have an interpreter, and he was going on and on and on, and I was just nodding yes, yes, yes. And he really sold me out because I got back the next day that I read the papers. They said, that's not what we said. He's a smart customer.
Speaker 4: I will tell you this sure, hold on, hold on, forget the accent. What was going on with that handshake? Are they doing the no you hang up? But with their hands? Before we figure out Russia and Ukraine, we need a peace deal for the world's weirdest thumb worm.
Speaker 3: So maybe this isn't going to come.
Speaker 4: Down to words at all, because if you've noticed how Trump and Macrona interact, their hands alone tell a story.
Speaker 9: Douchev dita bloky, there's a conflula.
Speaker 8: Of oh tier.
Speaker 7: Man lima dima.
Speaker 4: Tondre.
Speaker 10: When we come back, we'll tell you who's been mean to Elon Musk.
Speaker 3: But don't go away.
Speaker 7: Show.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about Doge it's the reason an eighteen year old virgin has your Social Security number. But Elon Musk has been trying to find ways to fire as many federal workers as possible, and this weekend he tried out his new method by sending an email that shouldn't have been a meeting or an email.
Speaker 13: It's the doge ultimatum. Elon Musk emailing over two million federal workers with this subject line, what did you do last week? It simply asked them the list five things they accomplished at work and says not replying by midnight tonight would be taken as a resignation.
Speaker 4: Ah the hallmark of a good boss. He gives you busy work that also makes you scared. This is such an insane idea, just for starters. Let's say everyone does respond. Who the fuck is going to read two point four million emails?
Speaker 10: I say this as someone I say this as someone who has an inbox with two point four million unread emails.
Speaker 4: It is too many emails to I can read.
Speaker 3: Hey, pottery barn, if you tell me.
Speaker 4: About one more throw pillow sale, I will kill myself and the blood will be on your hands, also on your throw pillows don't fucking test me, and I know you gave my email to Williams Sonoma. Anyway, as shocking as this may be, federal workers do not seem very happy about being sent threatening emails, and they're making their voices heard in unusual ways.
Speaker 11: I want to ask you about a fake video that was somehow hacked onto the TVs at the Housing and Urban Development Offices this morning in DC. It's pretty graphic, so we're not going to show it here in top story.
Speaker 3: It essentially shows.
Speaker 11: The President again, this was an AI image kissing Elon Musk's feet.
Speaker 3: He's right, He's right.
Speaker 4: An AI video of Trump kissing Elon Musk's feet is disgusting. It's inappropriate, and it's disrespectful. It should not be on TV. Let me just show you why it should not be on TV.
Speaker 10: Look at how.
Speaker 4: Inappropriate this fake video of the President flvereign all hello over Elon Musk's foot knobs is so inappropriate, and that is why we will never be showing this to you. It's called journalistic integrity.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Although it has to be said that making that video and hacking the screens took a lot of work, and I really hope whichever federal employee did it included that in their list of five of.
Speaker 3: Compos that's imporiate.
Speaker 4: I definitely feel bad for the guy in the Hut office who learned about his latent foot fetish in.
Speaker 3: The worst possible way. Oh no, oh no.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't just the rank and file who pushed back on Elon's ultimatum. Some of Trump's own cabinet members told their departments the email wasn't official. Cash Pattel told the FBI, don't respond to that email. Tulsi Gabbard said, don't respond to that email. Pete Hegseith responded to that email, saying, you up. That was irrelevant. But all this infighting is confusing. Can someone please clarify the situation here, mister President? Do people have to answer this email or not?
Speaker 12: Can you clarify, hopefully, once and for all, what your expectations are with this email?
Speaker 9: The federal employees.
Speaker 6: Like somewhat voluntary, but it's also if you don't answer, I guess you get fired.
Speaker 4: Oh right, yeah, that clears up everything. It's voluntary, but if you don't answer it, you're fired.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: At this point, the only thing more confusing than that email. Is that AI video that is totally inappropriate for television? I mean, they give Elon two left feet weird and gross, and that's why we will not be showing it to you. It's called moral courage. Moral courage. Now, look, you would expect some pushback within the federal government, but the surprising thing is there's also some pushback from outside the federal government.
Speaker 3: From Georgia to Oregon to Kansas.
Speaker 4: Americans angry with President trump sweeping layoffs and Elon Musk's drive to slash government spending, packing raucous town halls.
Speaker 8: Contract She's done some very good things.
Speaker 1: I think, how did you feel about an not one of the.
Speaker 4: Oh that last guy was so ready to get mad you didn't even wait for the answer.
Speaker 3: I have a question, you suck ah Philip.
Speaker 4: Personally, I'm glad to see people pushing back against DOGE. But even if you support does, you have to acknowledge that seeing real people voicing their opinion to their elected representatives is a lot better than seeing Trump going to town on alon speed, which is just disgusting. It's disgusting, and you will never see that video here.
Speaker 3: You won't.
Speaker 4: Instead, we're going to have some serious analysis about this counter movement to DOGE. So let's go to DOGE headquarters with Michael Costa. People are not happy with DOGE.
Speaker 5: That's right, DESI, But DOGE has to take a lot of the blame for the backlash. They're not handling these layoffs with enough care and finesse. Let me explain through the use of a visual aid. Let's say this floot represents the federal government. You gotta be gentle, right, you can't go in whole hog. You gotta start the layoffs with a light little pet See what I did there, doesy? That was me laying off fifty NIH researchers. And you know what, I think they liked it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I see what you're saying. It's not what you cut, it's how.
Speaker 3: You cut it exactly.
Speaker 5: You can't go from zero to one hundred like this.
Speaker 3: That is not how you do it.
Speaker 5: It's too overwhelming and it puts too much pressure on the workforce.
Speaker 3: Tell me about it.
Speaker 4: I've been laid off before and it is always too sloppy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't want sloppy dosy. And you can't just focus on the top departments either. Most of the waste takes place lace at the lower levels of the government.
Speaker 3: So you gotta work both the li is how the.
Speaker 4: And I got to say, I have never seen you look more professional. So where did you learn so much about government? Was that at college?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, I worked at payless. The point is you have to pay attention to the whole of the federal government. Then once you've properly covered all the sensitive parts, that's when you bring in the other foot. Oh my goodness, gracious.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, hold on, so if one foot represents the federal government, what does the other foot represent?
Speaker 3: Oh, this foot's just.
Speaker 12: A sex thing.
Speaker 3: Oh gotcha, Michaels. Everyone will be joining. Actually, go go away.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Dailey Show. My guest tonight is a loved comedic actor known for her work in Reno nine one one, Bridesmaids, and The Goldbergs. She now stars in Saint Dennis Medical on NBC. Please welcome Wendy McClendon, Covey arm Horny.
Speaker 3: Now that I've watched all that foot action, Yes.
Speaker 4: My goodness, who doesn't love a little foot action.
Speaker 12: Anyone that says otherwise is ill?
Speaker 4: Big that one liars. I am so happier here, I'm so happy to be here. I'm such an enormous fan of yours. Everything you do. I mean, Bridesmaids, biggest.
Speaker 3: Comedy, gold Birds. It was on for ten whole.
Speaker 4: Seasons at Reno nine one one.
Speaker 3: Which was on for.
Speaker 4: We got a little.
Speaker 12: Revival like right before COVID. So we've knocked out two more movies. Yeah, a few more episodes.
Speaker 4: I mean that was like a two twenty year span. What is what is the.
Speaker 3: Crazy being that I'm so young? Impossibly? Yeah, but what is the secret?
Speaker 4: What's this in the secret sauce for how to how to have such like great longevity with these projects?
Speaker 12: I wish I had an answer for you. I'm just really, really lucky, and I worship the devil.
Speaker 3: Oh that's all it is. That's all it do. Yeah, that's all it is. Well, no problem, sign me up, you guys.
Speaker 12: Now, I say I've been lucky.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe the secret sauce is you. That's probably that.
Speaker 12: You say such things, doesn't Let's be best from.
Speaker 4: Okay, you started at the Groundlings, I did. You were in the main company and the Groundlings, if you don't know, is a famous improv theater that is responsible for breeding just the top comedy talent.
Speaker 12: Also about everybody on SNL comes from either the Groundlings or Second City. And yeah, I was lucky enough to do that for seven years.
Speaker 4: And how did that training prepare you for your comedic journey all these roles that you play.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 12: The great thing about improv is that you are never supposed to deny anything.
Speaker 4: So if you.
Speaker 12: Approach I mean even sales, if you're in sales, or you know, anything where you have to deal with the public, if you just approach it from a place of yes, and I can do this for you, or yes, and I cannot do this for you, but I can do this.
Speaker 4: Oh hello, Yes that cup you had planned on doing that poetry.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was a planned little.
Speaker 4: Stunt that I thought i'd pull out here they taught stunt work at the Roundins. I got to witness your improv skills on a tiny little project that we did many years ago that never saw the light of day.
Speaker 3: You were a baby, Yes you were. That's what will go in. Yes, we'll go with that. So young as were you, right? But this this project had it.
Speaker 4: Was you and Jane Lynch and Sam Pancake, Jack Platnik. It was all improvised, kind of like a curb your enthusiasm and it was only like two days of filming, but that was such a masterclass for me to get to watch you and Jane show up to the party, be a good improviser, a great listener, but like show up with the goods. It really was like that was probably such a nothing thing for you, but it was very impactful for me.
Speaker 3: So thank you.
Speaker 12: Well, you're welcome, and you were absolutely an angel because you came in at the eleventh hour, Like literally she was cast at what nine o'clock at night and six in the morning, you're on set with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that just shows that they were desperate. That's when I got all my jobs, and they were very desperate, like let's just hire the next person that walks in the door.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, she'll do.
Speaker 12: Okay, can I tell you something embarrassing about that job please. I was so sure that that stupid show was gonna go. And by the way, this was a scripted show for VH one that doesn't do scripted show.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 12: But on the strength of that hilarious pilot, I bought a boat.
Speaker 3: This is not a joke.
Speaker 12: I talked my husband into buying a friggin boat and we had to push that thing uphill for the next five years, and we couldn't even sell it. We had to give it to someone to take it off our hands.
Speaker 3: You no longer have the boat.
Speaker 12: Tell no, oh.
Speaker 3: Buy a boat. People do not buy a boat.
Speaker 12: Rent a boat and rent a captain for the day. But you don't need a boat.
Speaker 4: So they didn't talk about invest good investments at the ground lanes. That was a part of the never Yeah, that's too bad.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you bought it. We bought so funny.
Speaker 12: Anyway, it was a terrible show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's no Saint Dennis Medical, I'll tell.
Speaker 3: You that much. Perfect segue.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, and I truly this show is so funny and you're phenomenal in it. And I heard that you received the script the day that the Goldbergs ended.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 12: Yeah, in a weird twist of fate, Yes, I did get it the same day, and I was all poudy and I'm looking at this script, going, god, I think it's funny. Yeah, I think this is funny. I think I want to do it, but you know it was just in the pilot stages, so you think, well, I should just do it because fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: You know, it might not go, but it went.
Speaker 12: But then we went on strike.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So if you watch Saint Dennis, you might notice that between the first episode and the second episode we all look a lot different.
Speaker 3: That's why. But it's been a blessing.
Speaker 12: It's been so much fun. And I cannot tell you how much respect I have for healthcare workers after doing.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 4: Shows incredible, It really shows in the show. One of the things that I appreciate so much about it. It's laugh out loud funny. It's very very funny. But all of the characters have these huge blind spots for comedic reasons, but never are they like completely inept at their jobs. And so it is sort of a love letter to healthcare workers.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 12: It really is, because when you get into healthcare, don't think that you're ever going to work a forty hour week. Okay, that just doesn't happen. And there are times when it's somebody's worst day in the world, but you just want to go to lunch, yeah, or you really have to pee and you wish someone would just make a decision, like it's they're people too, you know, and sometimes they're going to have a bad day, and they should be allowed to have a bad day sometimes, of course, as we all should. But yeah, respect, respect to all of the healthcare workers out there.
Speaker 4: Have you had anyone come up to you, any actual healthcare workers come up to you and say thank you for making the show?
Speaker 12: I watch a show I do get dms from people who say the way you play the administration is dead on. Not to you know, pat my own back there, but yeah, the very thought that you have to keep people motivated when you don't even believe what you're saying anymore. And I've had to work for people like that, And so what do you do? You change your physicality and maybe you might throw a fake judo move or whatever to just kind of get a smile on someone's face, and all they want to do is flip you the bird.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite things about your character that I noticed is that she wears these like enormous brooches on her lapel. She'll wear like a breast cancer research pin, and then the next day it will be a giant hummingbird that's just slightly too large for the lapel. Yeah, it tells you so much about that character. She's very like front facing. Was that something that you came up with?
Speaker 12: No, but I love it for her because she is just it's that false optimism. Yeah, you know of Hey, you guys were having a pizza party.
Speaker 3: Like we're adults. Who cares?
Speaker 12: You get that humming bird out of my face?
Speaker 4: Sometimes sometimes you just need a hummingbird. You know. There are something softens a lot of blows, stopping for blows. Well, at this point, you have played a fake copy, a fake doctor, hospital administrator, a fake mom in the eighties. Knowing your track record, the show is going to last for twenty seven seasons.
Speaker 3: But I hope so we got to get you in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sign me up. Come on, but what what is your What do you wish to do next? For a fake job?
Speaker 3: Oh, for a fake job? Next prostitute.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the one I want to know.
Speaker 3: I really think i'd be good at it. Yeah, footwork or no footwork, we'll get it. We'll get to it, We'll go to yes.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, Well I'll sign me up because I'd like to buy a boat.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm meaning for. Saint Dennis Medical airs.
Speaker 4: Tuesdays at a pm on NBC and streams on Peacock, Wendy mcclennon, coming, everybody.
Speaker 3: We're going to take a quick break.
Speaker 10: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: That's been so before we go.
Speaker 4: Comic Relief is putting on a show to raise money to support the most vulnerable communities affected by the LA wildfires. The show is called Comic Relief Stand Up for LA. It's on March third. It's in New York City. I will be there, John Stewart will be there, Josh Johnson will be there. For more info and buy tickets or to donate, please go to the link below now here.
Speaker 3: It is your moment of Zen.
Speaker 8: No one has taken responsibility full the hack, but it comes as the government considers replacing half of the housing agencies with AI staff reportedly struggled to turn off the TVs, eventually trying a traditional fix and unplugging them out the wall.
Speaker 11: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 5: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 7: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 3: Plus Paramount Podcasts