Speaker 1: I loved the one of my theasers.
Speaker 2: Can call me privately. Y'all are coup on today manby mm hmmmmm mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I don't love your pronouns sis a lot.
Speaker 3: I say I'm a pacifist. I stabbed the nigga once when I was listening to the super dug.
Speaker 4: Its lack. I. I can't believe that his wife would it good?
Speaker 5: Be hoping should be this your boy and a O N A what up as d J E f N and it's drink chance will take me crazy?
Speaker 4: War makes up.
Speaker 5: And right now, I'm gonna be honest, man, when we're looking at these two brothers here as at one point I never thought I would see them back together. One brother was in Africa like incense. The other brother was in Uticavese. Then we got another brother. There's will Pop in here and that the most legendary. But we'll talk about that later. But let's just get they have just dropped an album that is just for the fans. And they could have put it on Spot the Fire, they could have put it on iTunes, they could have put it on your local jule ree. No, they wanted to put it for their fans, their fans only these guys are monkey footing and they're still the most lyrical motherfuckers in the game.
Speaker 4: And I'm listening to this album and they not slipping up even a little bit. And they got a lot of money.
Speaker 5: In case you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, we're talking about the one, the only motherfucker block. Now, y'all seen, baby, I'm gonna start with you.
Speaker 1: I don't have a lot of money. I live on a stipend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too. Do we have that clip?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 5: Let me just tell you something, y'all seen, baby, This is real talk. Whenever I'm down and I feel like life is fucked up and I don't want to keep moving on. Oh I feel like music it's not where I wanted to be, I always go to this clip and I watched this and this ship saves my life.
Speaker 7: This is real talk. Can you play it please?
Speaker 1: That's it's not even it's just you know, it's a lot, It's all favorable.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful. That blazer is gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Don't forget the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Is it is a good moment. I'm gonna tell you why I love that clip.
Speaker 8: The rag under the door, the success the success of Your Soul, the success of Black Starter, suscept of Dave Jappelle's show.
Speaker 9: Your bars are not supposed.
Speaker 10: To be like that, Yes they are, explain because.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm here to do. This is a large gift to me, right right, So you must, you know, put your crown on. I mean much.
Speaker 4: You always knew that I was.
Speaker 1: I was great at ryman from the moment I started. I was nine years old. I was never not good.
Speaker 4: I think we should makes a noise of that.
Speaker 7: You don't need that.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be out of sweet God, I really wasn't because we just did this interview would just be just us and not at the shock swearter God. This is something that really motivates me because I fell out of love of music a lot like I fell out of love with the business.
Speaker 4: That's a beastiness.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's nothing it's not you know, you should fall out of love. That means you're a human being, you know what I mean. It's not worthy if your love. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: This is not the music.
Speaker 1: So the art is another thing all together. I mean, the the fence around they called the industry is just you know, it's just an industrial fence, you know.
Speaker 5: So we had tot Level on the show, and we actually asked him about you're a whereabouts and what the time because we we had you was like a no man at one point.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm alive and planet of my country is Earth. I'm from a country called Earth like everybody else. So that's my perspective on life and living in place.
Speaker 11: I never heard of this country because that was the room of the rule was you went to Africa, I did, and you lost the passport and then you became a citizen of whatever country he was in.
Speaker 1: I'll tell the food story at another time, you know, that's like a whole other thing I was.
Speaker 4: I was living in.
Speaker 1: South Africa and doing my stay there. I obtained the secondary travel document, which is well documented the history of it and the province of it.
Speaker 4: And and the like.
Speaker 1: And I obtained one, and there was some disagreement between you myself and the and the South African government as it relates to what they qualify as valid travel document.
Speaker 12: And that was the older part that I remember, because this is supposed to part time, you know, but it's still parts has many different outfits these days.
Speaker 1: So I wouldn't classify so much as that, but it wasn't experienced. I often invite people to look up the World Passport for themselves and just take it from there because I'm not here to make up anybody's mind about anything.
Speaker 4: But that was a part of my experience. Okay, so let me not get my hopes up. You said the World's passport, the World pastor from a fella. I cannot fill out for that, right, Let's be clear. You have to look at it, but I'm sure that I.
Speaker 9: Feel like I'm not going to be.
Speaker 1: It's information about it. Anyone is invited to to take it.
Speaker 4: Out and themselves like a community of people need to be. I don't want to. You know, you felt it.
Speaker 2: The first job.
Speaker 6: I said you were going to Africa.
Speaker 13: You said they got w's in Africa.
Speaker 5: Because you know why they used to lie to me. They to tell me I had to get vaccines.
Speaker 4: I had to get.
Speaker 9: Shots depending on the country going over there.
Speaker 5: But this is this is Africa, total totality at this time until I met Acon and then Akon said, Nigga, you come out there now vaccine. I don't know if I believe he just told everything to me. He was like, come on, let us go.
Speaker 14: I'm just like I'm forgive you in Jersey City is different?
Speaker 4: Why is that at the.
Speaker 5: Let's just let's just get back to this album, right, you guys, these fans have been backing for this album for so long. So on this is like a two part question because on one part you gave the fans everything they wanted.
Speaker 4: But then some and this But.
Speaker 5: To this generation, this might be the most laziest generation I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: Like they have Google, no fear of time, they have Google, and they'll still be like, well, how do I get it right?
Speaker 5: So I remember a friend of mine had he threw out a movie and this movie was so hard to download, like it wasn't in the so and he was like, yo, how was people not supporting us?
Speaker 4: We can't find the ship? You know what ider saying? I'm saying, because so, how do.
Speaker 5: Y'all y'all navigate through this through the system of you know, these fans that because luminary luminary, everyone doesn't notice. A subscription based everyone doesn't notice.
Speaker 9: How how do y'all navigate?
Speaker 4: Is this the first album like music project on that? Because do the podcast?
Speaker 13: There you go? You knew we did a podcast today makes.
Speaker 4: A noise of me.
Speaker 13: Because I mean and listen, I'm not going to uh differentiate between real and fake fans, because who knows what station people are in life with what they are and.
Speaker 6: They like to even know that we have.
Speaker 13: But we have made a choice, for a lot of valid reasons, to be in control of where and how we distribute our art, and I think every artist should have that choice, just like every human beings. You have a choice where to sell. They war is that if they if they got wears the cell and so because of that choice to have our podcast on Luminary, people's parties on Luminary.
Speaker 6: People who have been following us, and I'm.
Speaker 13: Not saying real fans, but people who have come on a journey with us have been followed what we y'all seen Bay is done with our installations. Who understand about the albums that he's worked on, Who understand who follow me and styles pr Me and domin d album. The ones who follow who go to Netflix and see au Dachapel specials. These people already on Luminic, They were already listening to Midnight Miracle, you know. And again I want to stress that's not a judgment or nothing, but at this point in our careers and because of the way the music business. Speaking for myself, we have to as as men and as artists focus on not trying to cast a why net and get everybody. Because even me as a fan, as a fan of black Star, I want to hear black Star wherever I feel like hearing it.
Speaker 6: But me as a fan of black Star, I.
Speaker 13: Also want to trust black Star, and I also want to follow black Star lead. And for us, it makes sense not to cast a white net try to get everybody. But for the people who are following us and people who are rocking with us, let's get them first. And you know what, we may have Vinyl come out, we may do other things.
Speaker 4: No, this is just the beginning.
Speaker 1: And also, I mean, you know, it's a principal choice.
Speaker 4: It's not like.
Speaker 1: There's an effort to make it unnecessarily inconvenient for people.
Speaker 4: I mean, from my point of view, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it seems fairly accessible, like a usonable distance for any listener to cover. You know, we're consolidating the experience. We're saying you don't have to go to all of these different places. You could just come right here, and you know, it's a question of value. If you value what we're doing, and we've explained to you, I mean quite clearly and in various formats, the reasons why we why we've chosen to do this, and the principles behind it, and what we're trying to establish and what we're trying to reform in many ways that exists in the system, then it's like it's a no brainer supporting a historical project within a historical approach. So if that's too cumbersome for you with then like just stay where you are to be quite candid, because you know when it's not when I here, it just bow to make things like convenient for people per se. You know, we're not complicating the process in this way. If the machine is it exists now, was more amenable and fair within no problem. But when they like in a legalized criminal enterprise and essence and my observation, But then I mean, like back.
Speaker 5: In the days, if you want a good you know, gold front, you have to go to ib square more might have.
Speaker 4: No. No, it's not even that, I mean, it's not even that.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, again, there's a prevailing metric that exists that does not take the artists into consideration at all. It really doesn't take humanity into consideration at all to be perfectly canon. And what we're doing is a very human thing. So's we're not gonna let the machine set the pace for us when we build the machine.
Speaker 15: In essence, you know, you can ask you because there's gonna be people that listen they don't artists that don't know there's creative ways to release their music and maintain ownership. And without getting into the details of your business, it seems like what you did here is to maintain ownership, you know, get what you're going to get something out of putting it out. You could do something else with it down the line.
Speaker 1: This is the life of it. I mean, it came out two weeks ago, you know, barely. You know, this is just the beginning. It's it's not like something that just came out this week and it's going to go away.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's historically preserved and that's the difference.
Speaker 13: And then you have to have the confidence of knowing that you're in a position to do that and knowing that your album, like we called it, No Fear of Time, will stand the test of time. If you're chasing the moment, you're chasing clout, and you're chasing something that's not actually real.
Speaker 15: It's not a promo room for first quarter or fourth quarter numbers and something like that.
Speaker 4: Right, don't just want to do a shot with you for no reason.
Speaker 16: I'm d alcoholics.
Speaker 4: If you're watching this today, why are you over here for a second?
Speaker 9: Right you?
Speaker 5: I just want to say I studied you three nights in a row.
Speaker 4: All right. You know I'm not allowed to talk. You don't have to talk. You don't have to talk. But I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 7: This is this is the first.
Speaker 4: Time I want to I want to.
Speaker 9: Tell this to y'all.
Speaker 4: I have the mic ready, niggas.
Speaker 7: I want to tell y'all.
Speaker 5: This is probably the first time I was seriously jealous of a comedian, because I'm used to if I have three shows, three nights in a row, this is a stabbing, a shootout. I'm almost there wishing something like I'm there.
Speaker 17: With the first night Friday, Everything's perfect.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this is the way it works.
Speaker 5: The second night perfect, and then the third night and I was like, and I really thought about it. I was like, yo, I'm traumatized being a hip hop artist that I don't even feel that going backstage when it's calm, it's actually normal.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you remember.
Speaker 6: I think it was the third night.
Speaker 4: Once backstage tang show.
Speaker 7: Com Chaos of the difference.
Speaker 4: What's you was about to get into the story? No, no, because be talking about that night.
Speaker 6: He was that Dave show at Dave Show.
Speaker 5: One where's Donelle was Donelli is here.
Speaker 6: Let me just tell you.
Speaker 5: Something because I really you know, the same show that was controversy that everyone spoke about.
Speaker 4: I got to see it.
Speaker 5: I got to see like I felt like he practiced on me, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I mean for thirty thousand other month.
Speaker 4: I'm but this, so I say, holy ship.
Speaker 5: But then I would go every night and I would see don Now and don Now don't give a fuck, like like for.
Speaker 4: Real, he's filthy. You fucking love.
Speaker 11: When you're not.
Speaker 4: Tell you this money.
Speaker 18: I can't wait for your Netflix, specially some Netflix first dog.
Speaker 19: I just want to say this. I know I'm not gonna be here low right, but the level of disrespect in his motherfucking I swear I saw y'all niggas talking about law a type of ship here, pop and ship. You disrespectful? You disrespected and you disrespectful?
Speaker 9: Are you getting more disrespect? That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Do you know why?
Speaker 2: You know how.
Speaker 6: Different?
Speaker 7: Because ress different?
Speaker 20: Now, let me just apologizelze that hated time machine.
Speaker 4: When y'all went back right and you was you was beautiful, right, Nigga, You're about to set up a joke. Nigga, I could tell I was beautiful.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Are you talking about to cast turn the charter?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, because everybody go with Athley Larry Now was now was that activader?
Speaker 21: It was Coconut Order, It was Wigi Vader, No, it was.
Speaker 6: It was it was coming on.
Speaker 19: The idea I had was to put in the champagne bottle. They was like that, she's gonna get too messy, right, so I do? I said, do the aerosol joint, right, and that's where mother was born. But I got this with a lot of people don't know. We did that show sixteen seventeen hours a day, right. It was times where niggas ain't had no more gas. We did did all the last we were these niggas. Charlie Murphy with everybody you cannot think of no funniest ship, and Dave will always figure out this ship to go to the next level. I don't know if y'all remember, if you know the show, it was a scene where we was looking at the the the actors and whatever. They flip a card you like supposed to improv off of it. It was Patersa O'Neill was Charlie Murphy and we was gassed out.
Speaker 4: We had no more laughs left.
Speaker 19: I was like, there's no more laugh left in this bigga said it looked like she wear boxes and addicted holes. This was a cancer coach, nigga. We was like, this night night, it is over. Yeah, but y'all are disrespect I was looking forward to coming on the show.
Speaker 7: If you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Gonna talking, I'm gonna talking. I'm nothing happened.
Speaker 7: So so this cribe to this area that we have right now. It's called the shock. This cribe to us.
Speaker 3: The other shack is an old car garage, probably from the nineteen fifties. I didn't change the outside at all, but inside we tricked it out right. I would drive by here and I told my wife one day I was gonna buy it. We're gonna do with that shack. I said, we don't you worry about what I'm gonna do with that shack. What I did was I made this clubhouse. Nothing fancy, but man, this is like a home for our culture. Yes means a lot. Nor is they think you came here. Yes, the last time I saw DMX.
Speaker 4: We had a great night here. Quality brought them by. Wow.
Speaker 3: We've had parties here with common with rhyme and freestyle or chance to wrap.
Speaker 4: All kinds of people just fall through.
Speaker 3: And we make memories. The walls in the here splattered with just random night memories. Yes, photographer Matchew Baton, I think took all these photos, with the exception of the block party poster. Right, it's me and most at a comedy club in London. We had a great time that night. We ended up watching the super Bowl and then in halftime called Colin Kaepernick because we could. You know, like like, this is a strange place, Ohio, but it's a good place. But the memories we made here are legendary. Things have happened in this room in this town people wouldn't even believe. And Quality is a regularly I've seen the regular.
Speaker 6: Recorded some of the Blackstar album here in this So can I say.
Speaker 5: Something beir Because a lot of times people move to Miami and say, I'm never coming home, I'm going to stay here. A lot of Positi people go to Japan and say I'm never coming home and staying here. They go to l A. This is probably the first time a person said I'm going I'm staying in Ohio.
Speaker 4: I'm never coming back. How did you How did you discover this?
Speaker 3: We don't know if that needs its own episode.
Speaker 4: It's real.
Speaker 3: It's like, look, look, when Lebron James left Ohio, I understood this is not the kind of place that you should stay your whole life. You should leave an income back. It's a value that you appreciate once you have something to contrast it. Leaving New York City was like kicking a drug habit. New York is an addictive motherfucker. There's no place quite like Thank God. I know, I know, and I know you feel that way. I'm just saying that they need one and we couldn't do it another.
Speaker 22: We're supposed to make.
Speaker 4: Continue. I mean, look, you guys are fucking.
Speaker 3: Like quantum physicists or some ship in the culture.
Speaker 4: You know, you guys.
Speaker 3: All of you guys have made albums. I love like what you scored my life.
Speaker 4: You know you're all from New York City.
Speaker 3: What a fucking amazing phenomenon that the genre of music was created in New York City and now it's a global phenomena.
Speaker 4: It's snow.
Speaker 3: It's no small thing that the boys from New York put together. You know, any of the niggas I see Jay I once saw Shook Knight across the room.
Speaker 4: This nigga was eating a salad in the restaurant. I was like, there he goes all that. It looked like season from.
Speaker 6: This like.
Speaker 4: Shut around his mouth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, niggas wildlife, Yeah man, but it means a lot. You know that That night d m X came over while they had called him, was five hours late. M Yeah, that's normal. No, was remarkable. He was late because he didn't want to come to my home empty handed. He went to his trunk and I mean, we're in the middle of nowhere. This nigga had crab lakes. We sat here, we watched the game, We had a great conversation. We was karaoke and songs, and then we went to my house and d m X cooked the crabb dinner for me and all my friends. My wife woke up in the middle of the night and saw DMX in the kitchen tasting.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: It blew a fucking mind.
Speaker 3: We're in the middle of nowhere, but it's wherever we put it. Me and Black started do our podcast right here at this bar.
Speaker 4: It was a very safe place for me.
Speaker 5: We have to come here, private luminary show for here.
Speaker 4: We gotta come fuck with us. I mean, we we do the thing. I'm a home for a culture, and I'm honored.
Speaker 3: I'm honored you're here, man, and whatever donills complained about.
Speaker 4: But let me say, let me tell you something.
Speaker 5: Dave Off show was about giving people they flowers and giving people their praises. Now, and I'm gonna just tell you something I've seen the likes of I was too young for Richard Pryor, so I came Eddie Murphy. I remember wh people went to go see Eddie Murphy movies and they got dipped like like they was taking pictures for the money they were getting a movie. And I've seen these comedians run. And I've always seen people go Hollywood and you know, leave certain people.
Speaker 4: The thing that special about Dave is you always have hip hop?
Speaker 3: Which man, let me tell you something. My parents were split up, so I grew up in d C. I grew up out here in Ohio. My father lived here. Always associated this place with relaxing, and I went to middle school here middle school. There was a guy must have been twelve years old that was a homie.
Speaker 4: This nigga had.
Speaker 3: Remember the niggas wear high socks and had boomboxes.
Speaker 4: He was one of them.
Speaker 3: Niggas like that, but the socks were high. It's funtherfucker played Eric Bean's president one day when we're playing basketball on my driveway. I couldn't fucking believe it. Make him, make him, make him clap to this ah thank you DJs and that beat drop. Well, I get emotional thinking about it. There was a guy, Frank Ski. He does the radio in Atlanta now, but he was in Baltimore. That nigga had a hip hop show. And I go home to DC to see my mother and I could barely get his station, but I recorded with the tape recorder.
Speaker 4: Off the radio. I loved hip hop music like. Being in New York was my desk to me, and it's weird. I met.
Speaker 3: Tal Quality and a Daylight SOULI show and Kenyon College in Ohio. Whoa Stay Live? It was It was Quality. It was a guy named Truth be no lie. They killed that show. You know they got all the stuff I need. And and that night me and Quality, you know, hit it off. Quality is mean. When you first meet.
Speaker 9: Him, everyone says that he's mean. Said what you think you mean?
Speaker 4: He said, I'm gonna make the baseball had the biggest hat.
Speaker 6: This one was gonna say that what baseball?
Speaker 4: But but.
Speaker 3: I met Quality that night months not many months later, one or two months later, weeks I was in New York City that I was driving down the street and I was carter the red light toilet. Quality ran up to my car and goes, yo, Dave, we just met the second time I ever met him.
Speaker 4: I go, hey, hey, how are you?
Speaker 3: He goes, I'm great, man, I'm recording with my friends at Electric Lady Land.
Speaker 4: He goes, pull Jimmy Hendrick Studio.
Speaker 14: Jimmy Heady Street, right on Eighth Street, White Cat.
Speaker 4: I pulled up. Man, These niggas hit the whole building.
Speaker 3: DeAngelo was in the basement and the Roots was on one floor, and by dude was had a session on another floor all the way up to the top.
Speaker 4: On the top floor was quality session.
Speaker 3: And that day, I don't know if you remember this, you laid the verse for a Common song. Common was in there too, called the Questions. It was me you, it was your session dealer, motherfucking James. That's the first time I met Diyla James. Poison was the uh. It was when I was writing and killing them softly, and from them sessions we all became good friends. I never seen music recording. I never met niggas my age who had stamps in their passport. Like no, we were young. We were young when I did Chappelle Shaw was not long after that. I you know, I said I want to do music on the show. The thing with Most in the college because we was driving with Most and a motherfucking sprinter van and he would make the driver play beats and would just be like rhyming over beats.
Speaker 4: It was just like that. I mean, all this in a whip and y'all sing would be rhyming.
Speaker 3: And we was like yo, people would want to see this, like like it was alchemy with culture. These motherfuckers was doing something. It was like an exciting time. I remember I took Common you know that singer Bloud me coming Beloud. A bunch of niggas from Electric Lady Land went to the Comedy Seller New York.
Speaker 4: They never seem like comedy before, like them. It's one hundred and twenty seats that room to comedy sell in New York. It was very special.
Speaker 3: That was the first place where Richard Pryor saw Bill Constant performed. It's that kind of is that kind of room like wow, you know it's one of those New York rooms, like only in New York, Only in New York, right, it makes history like that like when I when I showed up there, I was seventeen. John Stewart was twenty seven. I remember Ray Ramono used to sell mattresses.
Speaker 7: But but hi, lobs like that, Wait, did you say mattresses?
Speaker 4: Ray Ramonde used to sell like mattresses. I don't remember. I don't even know what I mean. Niggas was comedians, but they had it. They had a whole other lives.
Speaker 3: I remember one night it was me and a bunch of comedians, all these niggas something what you do before you did comedy one niggas Like yeah, I was gonna play professional baseball.
Speaker 4: I was in the fun That's grill.
Speaker 3: Another guy was a Wall Street trader walked off the floor today. She's just like, I can't do this anymore and just start doing stand up full time.
Speaker 4: I mean all kinds of stories like that. And then they get to me, they go, day, what do you doing for you to comedy? I said, I was an eighth grader anyway.
Speaker 3: When I did Chapel Show and I wanted to do music, I couldn't get people come on. I would reach out to artists and like, like, who could you remember that you try to get I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: Say any names. He was a dirty motherfucker for doing that.
Speaker 3: Niggas niggas you know in Love and I didn't know in Love said no, but really in their defense or whenever heard of this show anything but the first Yeah, but half Bake was like a terrible movie until I made it.
Speaker 4: Made it.
Speaker 7: No do you know I made the song gonna havel bake and everything you know?
Speaker 4: You do you know me, don't make me be the first nigga cry on drink. We don't get photo, we don't get We're gonna get half baked flowers. Man you got to get to have Big.
Speaker 5: By the way, let me just let me not only say who hold Not only that, but when I went to Maui for my first time and the guy gave Wowie, I.
Speaker 9: Said, serious, I didn't think that was real.
Speaker 3: Dave Chapelle movie, Oh bro, don't get here talking about that. But but to finish the story, Sorry, no, I haven't Big got his flowers.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: What I was gonna say is, Okay, when we did Chappelle's show, these were the cats that pulled up.
Speaker 4: You have seen more.
Speaker 3: Was the first nigga that I mean, fellow, excuse me, ever performed on Chapelle Show. Kwaley the second Person Every Form special. First time I heard Kanye West, this nigga played a get By remix that everybody.
Speaker 4: I think it was on everybody.
Speaker 3: The whole in New York did thee. But Kanye's versus the first one. When he said the thing about miracle whips, I remember, I rewinded.
Speaker 4: It, like, what was that boy that get it?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 4: Who is that guy? What happened? Who wants me over there?
Speaker 23: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh my bad? Nigga. This nigga was texting moves that nigga five ft to the w.
Speaker 5: So, so then I'll come over here to everyone, come over here for one second because this is a funny part.
Speaker 9: This is all funny.
Speaker 4: We know you go over there.
Speaker 13: We know we.
Speaker 7: He's most professional.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hold up and Dave, yeah, be a. Tyler has always been great. I felt like after I had a certain.
Speaker 5: Person on my show, we even got tighter, which is not heard of, because when certain things like that happened, most people.
Speaker 4: I was with I had to live okay when they drink champs came out okay.
Speaker 5: So to warn them and if called each other or I called you, you called me, or whatever, we called each other, and we said, we can't just come out without telling.
Speaker 7: Without telling Tyler first, aut telling Tyler first.
Speaker 5: So I would like to ask y'all where was y'all at when y'all first heard Kanye say.
Speaker 4: This was not the Kennedy assassination? First? Where were you.
Speaker 9: When it came across the wire.
Speaker 4: Shot? When we were again, we weren't, we were? And what happened in because y'all getting high? Look look, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: The only reason we're even smoking and drinking and entertaining this Tomfooler is because on the show called drink Champs.
Speaker 4: What do you mean drink Champs, nigga, I'm.
Speaker 9: Standing next to mean drink.
Speaker 4: Nobody's fucking with him. So y'all, y'all in Denver, and what happens? I don't remember listening. Listen, no no, no, no, listen.
Speaker 3: Pop culture is a desert right now, and your show is an anomaly.
Speaker 4: And that Kanye west.
Speaker 3: Uh interview you did was one of my favorite things that I've seen in old pop culture in recent history.
Speaker 9: I think you gave I fucked.
Speaker 4: With Kanye, but man, I ain't seen him like that in a minute.
Speaker 3: It was funny, it was engaging, and then this nigga had to go in on Quality's head.
Speaker 6: I forgot about this.
Speaker 3: He said something about quality making baseball heads popular.
Speaker 5: That ain't no disrespecting, because I would like I would like to beat you up, Tyler, because honestly, I could tell the first two days we spoke you were hot.
Speaker 4: Okay, I can tell, but you trusted me as.
Speaker 5: A friend, and I was really respect that because you knew I say, your toddler, I couldn't stop anything. You know, like once once a person starts to go, and a person of that calibers just like damn, what do I do?
Speaker 9: I can't throw a muscle on him.
Speaker 4: But you could have. You could have took this the wrong wrong way. You could have you could have called.
Speaker 3: You talk about telling me about because I killed that mother for that baseball hat comment.
Speaker 4: Nobody, nobody hat. No, this nigga was. This thing was not hot at all. I was with him when he saw immediately, yeah he was not.
Speaker 5: But my first two calls, I was nervous, okay, But then the third and fourth and everyone you kind of like just brush it off and was just like, but you said something to me that was very, very probably the most popular, probably the most illness things I've ever heard in my life. You said to me, the thing about Kanye is even when he distance you, he helps you. And you said, the problem with him is he knows that. I do remember saying that.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, nail, that's the part. I agree with that. So I didn't hear this.
Speaker 6: You heard of this because you think I heard.
Speaker 4: I heard.
Speaker 6: I did have fun with it, but you know.
Speaker 4: No, you're not alerted to smoke. I think it's American spirits. But it's okay. I'm good, not bad. That's okay. So I have to do it smoke smoke smoke?
Speaker 2: So tal it.
Speaker 9: Are you getting phone calls?
Speaker 24: How?
Speaker 4: How is this? How is this? I mean obviously me and e FN called you, but the episode drops. Are you getting phone calls? How does this work for you? Oh?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That was good times. It was a good times.
Speaker 13: It felt like you know what it felt like. It felt like having a hit record out. That's how it felt, the way that I remember like when get I was out. Just it just so so it just you know, it reminded me of what Kanye meant to the culture. And you know, the hatship was funny to me. It was hilarious.
Speaker 17: Thought it was.
Speaker 4: I laughed, but I didn't even realize you wear hats like that. No, it was funny.
Speaker 13: I was like, because you help me, because y'all put it in two parts, right, so it was it was a cliffhanger, rushing right, and the first part he just dissed me, and I didn't see the second part. So first part I was like, oh, that was weird. But the second part you was like, yo, but didn't you just see him? And what you was talking about was pictures at my Dave Chappelle comedy show, which was on my birthday. I DJ I'm DJing. Dave says, Kanye gonna show U. Kanye shows up, no security nothing, I'm like, okay, I'm gonna play all Kanye set. He sat next to me. We had a great time. That was like a month before. I saw him on drink chips at the at the stand and I bring it up.
Speaker 23: That was yeah.
Speaker 6: Buster was there that night too, and.
Speaker 7: It was rhyme.
Speaker 4: By the way, for the public. It is the kind of nigga you forget how much you love them till you see them all that way. You see them, you mind.
Speaker 3: It is. But even if you didn't know, it's just seeing his facemasks, you want to tear the club up.
Speaker 6: That's right, get down. He get the eyebrout of going up real quick.
Speaker 4: But now you know.
Speaker 13: It was my birthday, so I had all my people with me, a lot of flappish niggas, a lot of baseball hats. So when Kanye said it's gonna be twelve niggas with baseball hats, I wish niggas he was talking about, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: And we on a group chat.
Speaker 13: We you know we you know you're a certain age on the group chat with your friends from back in the day. We on a group chat just laughing about this. But you know, it was a moment that I that I had to I had to have fun with it because I got a lot of love for Kanye, and he seemed there was there was underlying context behind that.
Speaker 6: You know, it really another with bars or common a baseball hats and none of that and none to do with that.
Speaker 13: And so for me, there was at Kanye got a huge platform, and I care and I you know, I'm like Marlow from the wire. My name is my name.
Speaker 6: You don't speak of my name in no disrespectful way.
Speaker 4: That's how I feel.
Speaker 13: And he got a huge platform, and I love him, and he my friend and my brother. So this was all very conflicting and difficult. Richie expressed on drink chairs before right and me and and to be real, me expressing that drink champs is what he was responding to when he when he said what he had to say, it was when I saw the documentary, a shout out of Coolie because I think he did a great job. But when I saw the documentary, there's moments in the documentary and me and seen me together with Kanye, and I'll be honest with you, my life was moving.
Speaker 6: So fast at the time, a lot of shows, a lot of drinking, a lot of smoking, a lot of just rap.
Speaker 4: Confess, there's a lot of.
Speaker 13: Ship, can't I'm watching this documentary and I don't remember those moments, and so me not remembering those moments, I had to realize, well, if I don't even remember those moments, I had to see him a film. The people who wasn't there, they definitely don't know about that, so they don't have no context. So I have to stop even be considering the context of people who wasn't there, you know what I'm saying. Like for the people who was there, they know you know what I'm saying. And that's that's that's what that documentary reminded me of.
Speaker 5: Okay, very briefly, I spoke the consequence, right, It was just when the first episode dropped.
Speaker 3: By the way, this has nothing to do it with this nigga consequence perfect teeth.
Speaker 9: So I spoke the consequence.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I see.
Speaker 5: So when I spoke the consequence, at first, it seemed like he was, you know, a little disgruntle because people was using footage of him. That was from from from early on and then later on it seemed like it was like it was cool. But one of the the Kanye documentary, which you just brung up, is you kept saying this guy is going to be the guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I did, like very confidently too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I think you ever said just do a whole album together.
Speaker 1: It's fairly obvious to me from the from the get go where I was had it where it already was when you and him. I mean, he was amazing producer, he had all the star quality.
Speaker 4: He was different. He challenged, in my opinion, a lot of.
Speaker 1: The macho notion disassociated with but hip hop specifically, Like he.
Speaker 5: Even just said recently, he said, you won't do four years in college, but he's twenty five of life.
Speaker 4: That's disrespect to every gangster nigga in the world.
Speaker 9: No one become caught down.
Speaker 7: Well, he said what he said he won't.
Speaker 1: He said, you mean in college, you won't do four years in college, but you do twenty five in life.
Speaker 4: What he's trying to say, man, this is very good what I'm doing. It's all good. Okay, get your dental.
Speaker 13: He's saying that where we place our values where you place our values and then he also said.
Speaker 5: Mellionaires where it changed like it's also like you this in a millionnaire. I've never heard this before.
Speaker 4: But who is this is a millionaire?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, which man? This all of us millions. I'm talking about Bring over river Vision boats made out of Night Trial, Robert Right.
Speaker 5: I see what you're saying on the documentary, and I see what even Dave said when Dave said, like you know, he was watching these clips what Kanye and Kanye was said, I'm dope w I'm doing dope ship. But what I'm trying to get from you is what was the actual thing that you knew that this guy was great?
Speaker 4: You listened to the beast he did the truth for being segull, just to listen.
Speaker 1: If this guy is fifty percent is good rhyman and he is with them bets, he's gonna ahead. Diamond D there's another MC Producers said hip hop is a classic Pete Rock who he was just kind of like flirted with ramas sometimes whatever he would do it it was, it was, it was a pure thing. I take It's the same way Dylan is the same way for for all. Yeah, Kannie just took it to the fullest, you know extension where he was like, no, I'm and people weren't trying to accept Conye because he didn't fit into the archetype of what has been sold is a solo rapper image. At that time, he changed the paradigm for what was possible in terms of an audience connecting with with not just the music, but also an approach. I mean the whole thing with the you know, college drop out, with the mascot all that. It's like, it's art, you know what I'm saying. It wasn't about him, you know, I'm on the block doing this and this and that. But and he made soon as the appeal to everybody, no matter where you were. You know, it was just it was just good music. I mean, you know, good life is not about some sort of macho pasta. It's just dope, you know. So that's what I appreciated about him. And so what Pof was doing with No Way Out, I was like, if that's working, I know, just the proper off is not ro my life Kanye had published not even Ron my Life, Doctor Dre right, Doctor Dre is going in on those bars, whether he wrote them or not. Heard he sounds fantastic. They say that pop doesn't, but it's just you know, it's another hemisphere. Kanye was like, and he said it ain't nobody don't don't can hear you go and get ain't nobody calls this due to rapping at track Triple Double Norse says, it's like he's telling you, you know, and when you have that type of talent musically, well the naturally you're gonna have something interesting. The same man through the wires. It's the most rock and roll shit ever. Who does a verse with the joy wire shit? After they you know, like and this is the response to like flying out of the window of a moving car at their driving like you know, like you know, any barely thirty or like in his early thirties and some shit, it's like that's a serious thing. So yeah, it was just always evident to me he had the vision after he came out with Graduate.
Speaker 4: Let me say story, so graduation, I hope I have nothing of my teeth because I was good.
Speaker 9: What kind of food was?
Speaker 4: That was very simple with chicken wing and some rice?
Speaker 1: Okay, but thanks for asking and a recent pieces that ill it's an appartee.
Speaker 4: I have another one now.
Speaker 1: Uh so Karane, this is before graduation, and this is around the time that there was that whole thing between him and fifty, like who's going to have the better first year?
Speaker 4: Who was going to be the king of hip hop of a boom?
Speaker 1: And you know this is this is fifty posts give us to dot trying, So fifties like, uh, you know, his presences up, it's.
Speaker 4: Like, give us a trine.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't care what you feel about you know, gangster rap or even fifty himself, but that's it is classic. I mean that that was a classic record. So fifties up and he's loaded up with another one, and you nobody really knows what it's going to because people forget power the dollar fifty like, well fifty was like spitting fifty.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you know, like fifty was like I never got paid.
Speaker 4: It's cool. I'm not just I feel you label ever paid you. He tells me your favorite right right on here. Man.
Speaker 1: So there was that whole battle that they you know that they were very happy to have a man. Connie had a listening session that was in a movie theater. I never forget it was right over there by Chelsea. No, it's like in the back of the Old Death Cham but like in the forties and fifties, like just off there, like by the way Cats. The Cats did it is you looked that block over it's like forty.
Speaker 4: By the winter.
Speaker 1: God, it's not Sony Studios, but it's like it's like forty ninth and not it's I think it's no, it's before ten, so it's like night. It's right there on the corner where the old Yeah, the Old Death JM. The university used to say. Anyway, it was a local movie theater. It was there, and what Kanye did is that you came into the movie theater. He had programs for like all of the songs and some of the lyrics and all that, so so caramel popcorn and edited visuals from anime movies that he liked and played that in sync to the music.
Speaker 4: The moment that he did that and the moment that I left there, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, Kanye wins that I don't care what fifty cent got in the tank. He is not beating this album at this time. It's just no way.
Speaker 4: It was so creative.
Speaker 1: It was I mean, good morning, it was graduate is like it's like a thriller moment that people actually proper appropriately appropriately appreciate you for this, I mean, and they try to. I always feel like they try to hate on it. Because he really sold a million records.
Speaker 19: In the day.
Speaker 1: I don't care what they say. I don't know about this, but they say he sold his first day. The first week is the first day. If I'm not mistakes, the first week of the first day, I believe it's the first day fifty so seven hundred thousand copies. This is before Spotify and all of this. We sold nine hundred thousand pieces, which means he sold the main pieces.
Speaker 4: And you don't want to roll it off. Let's just like, let's quit playing games.
Speaker 1: Lets it kept it kept the record industry like floating for at least the next five years with that, and it helped them transition into this whole streamer model because.
Speaker 4: They was just sitting on cash and who was like that.
Speaker 1: It wasn't cold player, it wasn't YouTube, it wasn't any it wasn't any other genre. It was Kanye West with a beautifully cleanly produced album. There was pure hip hop and Barry Bonds, like, what are we even talking about? This ship is out of control, and yeah, I was like, fifties, he don't have nothing. In response to that, I mean, he's you know, he's he was riding in the tie that Kanye created. In my opinion and from an observers point of view, for me, it felt like a referendum on.
Speaker 9: The on You'd be using words, I don't know what the talking about.
Speaker 6: This whole town.
Speaker 1: I'll been like, yep, a referendum. It's like, you know what, it's like a vote. It's like it's almost like a public petition. Yeah, it's not exactly a vote, but it's like something that happens before a vote.
Speaker 4: But they have signed of cultural referendums like.
Speaker 1: This side or this side is going to determine the cultural direction for this group for at least the next five years, if not the full generation. And in my opinion, that's what Kanye West Graduation Album did. It opened up the paradigm creatively for what could be viewed as groundbreaking and inventive and also having big scale, and there was no one at that type of pop culture scale was being that creative, you know, particularly in hip hop. So it's a big moment for the culture. I mean, and you know, this kid from Chicago to everybody stepped on because he was wearing hard bottom shoes and you know, you know, fucking cardigans with button down shirts were not everybody justice like that, but at least once too, you know, like you know, you know, Kanye just stayed true to himself.
Speaker 4: I think that's what the real powerble.
Speaker 1: It's not about following the style that somebody introduced to you.
Speaker 4: It's about being you.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: And let me ask you. There was a cover right, I believe it was you.
Speaker 4: Black Thought in Phara months.
Speaker 1: That's Source magazine, Source magazine, So magazine.
Speaker 4: This is backpack.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, okay, let me tell you what the outside is looking at it saying backpack hip hop.
Speaker 4: It's at the forefront now, I guess, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 25: Even you remember you remember the couple, But even the backpack coach never accepted that terminology either.
Speaker 1: It was like it's something that people came up with to try to like, you know, I get where people coming from with it, but it was like that stuff because it doesn't have any gravity to it.
Speaker 7: It's like, so that's not you know what it is.
Speaker 13: It's like, okay, so I grew up in Flatbush Flat Lambs area. It's a two fare zone. And so when we went to what at that time Greenwich Village's Lower east Side to go to parties in the city, we hopped in the Turnstarle and.
Speaker 6: We had backpacks on, and it was a very practical.
Speaker 1: New York City thing, like a sign of dangers, like Center Trade dust.
Speaker 6: I get him on the other side. But then you started seeing.
Speaker 13: Then you start seeing in hip hop videos, you start seeing Grand Puba went to backpack on. Then you have kids from the suburbs coming and let me tell you wearing empty backpacks at the show. Let me tell you where backpack.
Speaker 6: That's where he came.
Speaker 4: Frowned upon.
Speaker 5: Backpack and against the culture was simultaneously.
Speaker 4: At one time we ran this saying it was one video what they do the roots.
Speaker 7: It's separated backpack and gangs stuff.
Speaker 9: That sounds personal because it does.
Speaker 4: It did know, because you know what it did.
Speaker 5: Everything that represented gangs stuff, the roots had dissed at that moment.
Speaker 4: Damn, I'm full mad hip.
Speaker 2: Hop right now.
Speaker 3: You know, Lear played some outside baseballs, some outside baseball.
Speaker 4: I'm not a rapper, no, no, no, because I need to hear your face after Okay, here I go. We ever got the most vicious win? Okay, gangs vicious?
Speaker 9: Yes, what they do?
Speaker 4: Who do what they do? And this is what yes love video? Yes, and it was clever, right, But there was more bites at the Biggie Show than it was at the Roots one more more more particularly, there's more bitches at the NAS show. Okay, but that but that didn't come yet. What they do was before. Let me tell you something, what they do before. Let me tell you something. I don't know if.
Speaker 7: I remember me and NAS happened the meeting and him saying that is about me.
Speaker 4: You have a meeting about this.
Speaker 9: I'm saying, your son, this is not about you at all. But remember when they're.
Speaker 5: Chasing the wrapper through where they chasing the rapper through at Queensbridge, in the projects, not Queensbridge, any projects in America.
Speaker 9: What every project looks the same. So I remember that that was the time.
Speaker 4: This is a long grudge.
Speaker 26: I can't believe. I can't believe that you still have trauma over there. They do video fuck them backpack cut that out.
Speaker 6: No, no, but he sounded like, you know, he sounded like Memphis Bleef talking about the NA.
Speaker 7: So no, because you know what.
Speaker 5: You know what was crazy to me was when Kanye said that, he said I was faking being a backpack wrapper and boot Camp.
Speaker 4: People from boot Camp came.
Speaker 5: At us and said, yo, we want to respawn to Kanye, and I was like, I don't think they were talking about you.
Speaker 4: At No, Yeah, I don't think he was talking about me.
Speaker 9: He was talking about book shot box shots.
Speaker 7: People hit us and me because.
Speaker 13: Remember who got the prop video box Buckshot five foot with the backpacks jumping around.
Speaker 7: That was the first that considered. That's why they felt that way.
Speaker 4: That's why they backed up.
Speaker 7: That's why they felt that. They felt they brought it in.
Speaker 4: Cli big up Bucks. But I didn't understand that when Buck.
Speaker 6: Because they had the backpack, they got the person. When buckshot Buckshot performs, he wears a backpack.
Speaker 9: I just took the Apollo with Caros one that.
Speaker 6: Came out with the backpack.
Speaker 7: And you know what, Now I get now, I get it.
Speaker 4: Now I get what he was doing.
Speaker 9: He came, he took, he put the backpack on the ground and he turned around like this.
Speaker 6: That's what he did. Now I understand what he was doing. Yeah, he was making a statement about backpacks.
Speaker 15: But Kanye is definitely was talking about He was talking about the underground scene, which I was saying because that was a scene that was supporting him.
Speaker 4: Talk about Puerto Rican busy.
Speaker 9: So he's never died.
Speaker 4: Latins saying calls as nigger.
Speaker 22: You're not approved, man, He's approved. Hold On, hold on, Let's take a shot.
Speaker 7: Shot, shot, take a shot, man, Because listen, our show.
Speaker 4: Was about giving people they flowers. We will give all three shows about getting funked up, and this is not. It's also about getting It's the best out of this dark fantasy.
Speaker 7: Let's talk more about that.
Speaker 4: He did say that. Now I visited Kanye once. Let's take chanced to him. You visited.
Speaker 3: The only reason we're talking about him is because he's our friend and he's a great guy, superstar. Look, I went and visiting once in myom. He played for me what at the time he called Dona. Man, you might have to cut this out, boy, I gotta say it. It was incredible. First bar on the record, I guess you were just played on the Black Style album, and the first bar on his album he said, I just heard the new Black Star. Feels good to be a Black star.
Speaker 4: Man. It was it was the old Kanye. It wasn't the old Kanye. It was the forever Kanye. Like dad was Kanye.
Speaker 3: Man, he was just in the pocket now. He played this album he raved about a black style album. And when Donna came out, not a single song he played for me that day was on it. But whatever that ship was that he played was incredible. Yeah, I gotta tell you from the outside looking and this includes you.
Speaker 4: No listen.
Speaker 3: I remember one of the ten fucking cushions apart in the club when Super Thuck came on. I'm not joking, I'm not joking. I remember when the first Black Star album came out and bought Alexis at the time that was It's quite the car, and I bumped that Black Star Wall around.
Speaker 9: Manhattan is the first album as soon as the game.
Speaker 3: And I met this nigga like, I'm like, while it was happening, man, you tell him quality.
Speaker 4: I met him, I didn't recognize him, and he was so mean.
Speaker 9: Fucking around says about him. Not everybody says that's air wax City.
Speaker 3: Quality is not mean, but he's he's quality. How he make you feel like he's judging you because he's so smart stop living that.
Speaker 4: Way, smart pants. That's what a stranger was saying.
Speaker 9: It was a while.
Speaker 4: It was a wild, serendipitous time.
Speaker 3: They were scoring a moment in my life, and I met him in the moment they were scoring. I've heard their music before I met them. Oh you're that GUYVN Bump in the car. Hip Hop was still like that back then. Wow, beautiful, Right, everybody's trapping now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, not everybody.
Speaker 23: No, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Beautiful?
Speaker 9: Yeah, this real hip hop left. You're saying, of course, Well.
Speaker 1: I mean there's real everything left. There's real people aliva all the time doing things.
Speaker 6: You got to curate your own thing. You got to be a conscious consumer.
Speaker 2: You have to.
Speaker 6: You don't have to, but it would be wise to be in charge of what you take in or not.
Speaker 1: You know, we'll be fine, But it's not like we're like whatever we have, whatever we need. We've always had everything that we need.
Speaker 4: We have now.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean we don't want or even need more. Things can't be better. But I'm you know, I'm very grateful to be allowed today and to be who I am and doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: That she was mad smart. That just makes a noise that.
Speaker 7: That's the simplest, smartest way ever.
Speaker 4: It's just being you know, just natural.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not a I'm not a genius about everything.
Speaker 4: Favorite country you visit? My favorite country to visit?
Speaker 6: Land? People that question never.
Speaker 1: Know, but I want to say, but I don't want everybody to come. No, No, it's Africa. Africa, Yeah, East Africa.
Speaker 6: Keep going, you might as well keep going there they start.
Speaker 1: Getting My favorite places I've visited so far in my life?
Speaker 4: Is the answer? W this hands a ball?
Speaker 9: I'm eight at the restaurant in thirty fourth streets.
Speaker 2: A ball.
Speaker 4: This is I went to Howard University for a party.
Speaker 6: The bars.
Speaker 9: Are you taking the show?
Speaker 4: Most? Okay? Taking the show?
Speaker 9: We do this, this is what we do it and off show.
Speaker 4: This is quick time.
Speaker 7: Let me make a baby man? You always too this look.
Speaker 14: I got the hold.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I just want to say, this is my this is my fourth time with drinks.
Speaker 4: Hips, this is my first, this is his first. I'm eating. Yeah, I need jack you get.
Speaker 7: You get time time club?
Speaker 4: So who else is in the club?
Speaker 6: Jada Kiss would be in it?
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, so Jada Kiss the four Yeah yeah, you know I ain't go out.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, by the way, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: It's been a couple of times.
Speaker 5: If I thought I fucked up your money because I got you drunk and then you had to go to the show, you.
Speaker 9: Did my away and I was, that's that's what I mean. That's that was my first time with dream Chaps.
Speaker 6: I know better now.
Speaker 13: I took a napper fell sleeper problem. I was doing Dream Champs in a tag top bro I thought I was Dave.
Speaker 1: It was two thousand and fourteen, So I told annoyed today, I said, I said, we didn't judg up for you, but we kind of did.
Speaker 6: Just make me.
Speaker 4: So I just like this all the time. I was just I was ready to do what is that?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 25: In the in f and and stand for the full name? Eric said, no, Yeah. One of my favorite songs ever did was with d j e f N Me and dj E f N recod Man recognize. It's a great song.
Speaker 4: That's a dope record.
Speaker 5: Okay, we don't have one together, and we we were getting one together because we're doing a drink cham this is this is quick time of slid Dave. You don't you don't have this is just an answer you don't have to say nothing. This is a multiple choice questions.
Speaker 9: You could, you can?
Speaker 4: You know you played this game before just before? Yes, let me give you some Japanese whiskey, all right, before.
Speaker 6: We play this game.
Speaker 7: Follow me shot glasses.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 17: So if you're big double hanging out with the devil, I love that, even.
Speaker 4: Far from the devil, I fuck with you.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, and I ain't gonna lie today. Let me just tell you something.
Speaker 4: I told this story of a drink chance, but I want to tell this to your face. This is what happened.
Speaker 9: I land in Atlanta, I have no time to go to see the real weed.
Speaker 4: Man. Driver sees me. My people hold me from the hood. His name is Murdy. He's a great guy. Murders. Good dude, tells me, I'm not sure about this bar. So I got a choice either that goes to the hotel, got my bags off and missed this money.
Speaker 27: I said, fuck it, We go straight to the shall be chilling unbronounced to me. My favorite comedian in the world just walks through and says, what's up?
Speaker 6: He can't be this cool?
Speaker 7: What something?
Speaker 9: And then he just w and if he walks away, and I'm like.
Speaker 20: Holy ship, I said, Yo, whenever he comes back, I gotta give him a drink.
Speaker 7: And then like, I don't think Dave drinks.
Speaker 28: I'm like, I want me to give him fore, I just gotta give him a drink because that's just really what the focus is said. Over do so you walk back over, I give him a drink, and then I hand him my blood drink.
Speaker 9: Yes I didn't know that.
Speaker 27: And then I hand him and this was like the most unsecured you have a wore you ever not put on enough.
Speaker 4: Toyodorate, and then you smelled yourself. I'm like, this is not right.
Speaker 7: I had bloot and I was like, I'm not sure. I hope he's drunk, right, because I didn't know if the week was good or not.
Speaker 4: I had just lit it.
Speaker 7: I shot, let's give him quick time and slid real quick. Can you your drink?
Speaker 4: And you too, Dad?
Speaker 9: You just feel me a drinking drink? You drink the rules?
Speaker 4: Yeah all right? You want look move that sign? We have DJ.
Speaker 2: Drink.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know you want to get it, get it. I ain't gotta be right there.
Speaker 7: You ready, I'm ready here.
Speaker 4: This is so heard.
Speaker 6: You know I'm not gonna answer a lot of times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but then you're gonna drink the game.
Speaker 7: Kendrick.
Speaker 9: Of course this were just rotting.
Speaker 4: Let me tell yourself.
Speaker 7: Gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I was like, I met them both in the same time in Australia. I would never pick, so take a drink for that.
Speaker 7: If you don't pick, you take a drink. I'm a drink from my sage couple.
Speaker 4: Yea passes out in the moments.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got.
Speaker 4: Cool g rapp Oh big punt.
Speaker 7: You gotta give it a g rap That's what I said, godfather, But absolutely, you know what.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you brought that up because I got to clear something up on drink Champs.
Speaker 13: A long time ago, I had a bar and I said, you just a fat joke, thinking you a big pun, and me personally, I think it's a great bar. But there was no rap genius and no Internet back then. So I just now realized that for years a lot of people thought I was saying you're just a fat joke, right, thinking you a big pun, which I would never say because I got a lot of respect for crass you so fat joke with a K.
Speaker 6: I want to clear it up because i'men seeing a lot of chatter about that.
Speaker 4: All people like it just ft joke, and I'm like, no, no, no, I was fat joke, Jesus joke. That's a terrible phone call.
Speaker 9: Joe's trying to kill your.
Speaker 4: Fat joke. Jesus terrifying quality. You're like this, terrified niggas stayed toilet.
Speaker 7: Start your niggas later.
Speaker 21: They came out two years ago. Everybody, all right, Jay, old biggie, Oh man, take a shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, let's take a shot. Let's take a shot.
Speaker 6: Cheers or.
Speaker 4: Jesus, that's not fair.
Speaker 1: Fair.
Speaker 4: The game is not supposed to be fair, supposed.
Speaker 1: To already compare to them, though you said that on some Brooklyn ship.
Speaker 7: I see, I feel yeah, they make Brooklyn niggas In case.
Speaker 1: Y'all remember, yeah, it's something I heard big. It was on the Who's the Man sounds for Party and Bullshit.
Speaker 6: That was Party and Bullshit.
Speaker 4: Record.
Speaker 1: No, I was Class Squeeze and Nash smoking buses and Jay routine since thirteen on the scene. I used to pack up dudes training dude some backpack round that's backpack that. That was the first time I ever heard baby. Trying to remember the first time I heard Jay.
Speaker 6: For me, it was reasonable doubt.
Speaker 4: It was Dead Presidents.
Speaker 7: No excuse me, it's why, Sophie. It was original, flat, that.
Speaker 9: Foxy regular Big, you get to.
Speaker 6: Day, you can get away past Wow, also crazy.
Speaker 1: The reason about down album was going around heavy in Brooklyn at that time, so it's like you you, I think.
Speaker 4: The thing that that.
Speaker 1: Made J stand out to me was friend of Folk and a lot of it was like a lot of you know, the singles and stuff. I was like, oh, this friend of Folks is this dude is different approaching?
Speaker 6: For me, it was Liverture Regrets Regrets to made me be like, this is a problem.
Speaker 4: When I really became a J fan.
Speaker 1: Not that I was always respective, but when Volume three would come and get me.
Speaker 15: Three.
Speaker 13: Vol three was dope Man, modern day the solo MoMA modern day times.
Speaker 9: He said that.
Speaker 4: I said, that's when it's converging. Did but they didn't live long enough.
Speaker 1: Jay's a whole other thing, but that Big creatively, I mean, give me Lou, I mean, who shots to Big?
Speaker 4: Was a I mean, I remember where I was when I heard Unbelievable. I was I was.
Speaker 1: I was working with NBC on the Peers of Chelsea, piers Now offices on the Piers and she was on the radio.
Speaker 7: That's that's the difference between you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seen like you're a real actor. I've seen you play Adoptor and I believed you. I'm glad you did that.
Speaker 7: I wanted to go see you.
Speaker 11: Look like.
Speaker 13: They told me, y'all seen babies in the movie and I don't even recognize him Anto forty five minutes in, because you is.
Speaker 4: A real actor. Actor. Man, I'm just a guy having a vegan burger right now.
Speaker 7: So is you not going to open a y'all seen school of acting?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 13: Like like.
Speaker 7: Like you don't know he opened the school.
Speaker 20: Schooper as, y'all see school for people's play niggas. Niggas don't know how to play doctors. You gotta show niggas.
Speaker 4: How to play doctor.
Speaker 13: It's like caning a school for them seeing for those who want to be in the field of dogs and then again a second dog.
Speaker 6: The half them se is coming out selling them a.
Speaker 9: Similar for you, perpetrator.
Speaker 18: But I'm come on, no, but I'm that serious because you because you really know how to act.
Speaker 7: That's serious.
Speaker 9: Like because if they called me to play shot Meek playing.
Speaker 7: From forty projects.
Speaker 4: I got that.
Speaker 7: You're talking about state property movie.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got that.
Speaker 6: Hey he was good at that.
Speaker 7: But if they tell me.
Speaker 29: What reference, tell me your local, if you tell me to play child Japan child. But I was like, you know, you won't come out there.
Speaker 1: You have to and the desire you want to be in movies, it feels like like you want to make something.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 7: I'm just gonna crase you good because you've been.
Speaker 1: That's very kind. I mean, I try to do the best work I can. I've enjoyed it all the time. I don't know if I will do it again, but we'll see.
Speaker 4: You don't know if because you haven't done it for a while, right, Yeah, he quick, I could do other things he retired.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, and I'm grateful for the work that I've been able to do. But there are things, the projects that I would like to do, but you know, they they take time to develop them more of a you know, of a personal nature preference from So if they happened, great, If they don't. If something comes up interesting and that I'm available for and works out, wasn't sure, but you.
Speaker 5: Know what your greatest active debut besides when you was playing a doctor.
Speaker 4: You know what your other greatest active debut is, I.
Speaker 7: Mean the greatest active period.
Speaker 4: That's me what.
Speaker 2: Be kind? We want.
Speaker 7: You and Jack be creating movies almost try.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 7: Because so you know, Michelle Gondry who did that movie.
Speaker 6: He did.
Speaker 1: That's why goy Michelle, He's great, he's amazing. Michelle, he was the director.
Speaker 30: Beautiful, really really joy a wonderful story glory from working on the set with him, where we'll be setting up this long continuous shot.
Speaker 4: It was like a continuous shot.
Speaker 1: That was it was at least like two minutes long, and it was you know, it was outdoor, it was coming up, the camera was moving some distance in a continuous shot, and it had to you know, there's certain activity that needed to be choreographed, and you know, the stage and we started walking the trailer you know, where the camera track would be.
Speaker 4: And it was very timed.
Speaker 1: It was like if you see it's a film called Touch of Evil that has like an opening shot at continuous shot it's like several minutes long.
Speaker 4: It's brilliant.
Speaker 1: It's like you know, ballet, because all of these different pieces of activity of choreographed as the camera's moving, so timing is key. So this was something similar that Michelle was doing. And we started walking the camera track and he was with you know, a few of the other cinematography and associate direct and stuff like this, and not the associate director but one of the production officials. So he's playing it out the side. He's talking on with chemin oal here and this and this is what happened.
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 1: One of the assists the directors said, oh, you know that's not gonna work because this is this is not and Michelle, this is something that I'll never forget.
Speaker 4: He stopped. He said, the thick French accent goes, Please, it is early in the morning. Do not tell me what I cannot do. He was like, this is we just started to day, got the rest of the data. Figure Let me.
Speaker 1: Figure it out on my own before you, like pour some cold water on my vision. And I'll never forget that. He said, Please, it is the beginning of the day. Do not tell me what I cannot do.
Speaker 4: Somebody give me a biggie perpont du to go. Yeah, but I enjoyed making movies.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that people haven't enjoyed seeing them if I get an opportunity to do it in the future of them.
Speaker 4: Great. My favorite film that I've done, It's hard to say. I wouldn't say.
Speaker 1: My two favorite films that I've worked on have been be Kinming One and Hitchhikers Got to the Galaxy.
Speaker 4: That was. That was amazing. Thank you for the fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was an amazing experience because it was all shot on stage.
Speaker 4: It was like very little green screen, so all.
Speaker 1: Those huge the vogons like their actual like people inside of them operating.
Speaker 4: It was like it was a it was a yeah, that was like. That was yeah.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed that, and I like the relationships that I developed on the time.
Speaker 4: Job was fun, giant job. Bamboozoo was was historic to it.
Speaker 1: I was, Yeah, I really enjoyed working with Spike and Charlie Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Is and that.
Speaker 6: Mouse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mom search some strange.
Speaker 1: It was the first major film that have been shot on on digital cameras at that time. It was like that, right, like, this is quality film, this is shot on digital crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 15: You guys don't think about merging the two worlds, the music and the cinema.
Speaker 4: Because of your background and bringing that together like Blackstar, I mean, like.
Speaker 9: Cast got the movie if it's something.
Speaker 4: Organic, I mean, but you know, I mean for me, I don't really.
Speaker 1: Of course I think in those terms in terms of like you know, awareness of you know, capabilities, but I don't really create entertainment products per se as products. No, I just don't have that type of And I'm not down in that. There's some people who do it and they're like they're really good at that, but that's never been.
Speaker 15: So when you create, thinking this thing is a commodity that's sold in I mean, I'm aware.
Speaker 28: Of that, but I'm not focused on that. That's not that they are worked with Eddie Murphy and and they stopped your crib to they that's an underrated movie. That's an underrated movie.
Speaker 1: Eddie was very like super cool to me, Like it was crazy, like it came up like it's a last minute kind of.
Speaker 4: Casting. And I had met him briefly before them.
Speaker 1: Was the only time that I met somebody, you know, it was it was the first time that I met somebody. Second time it was Prince that I was like really aware that like you need to hold it down and like he was saying out like you totally capable of doing at this moment, you know what I'm saying, Like Ede, I mean, it's Eddie. I mean, first of all, it was Eddie. It was crazy. The way I met it was crazy. Somebody was saying, I was in l A at the time, stand at the Chutte on my man. Somebody said, Prince is having an after party for his show at one of these little cafes on Sunset.
Speaker 4: I was like, where it was. The place is directly across the street from the hotel. I was like, you, gott was press ass out? Was his press ass out? He wasn't even there. I didn't see him at that place, but I can't.
Speaker 1: I walked in and they took me to a room and they said just wait here, you know less you know, and the show is about to start whatever like that. And then I walked into like another smaller room that was behind that like do like a saloon type door. It wasn't like with the bottom and the top of it was like, you know, like a swing door. And I pushed the door open and I see a woman very attractive Eddie Murphy and another woman an attractive woman, and it's just them sitting there like in this small room, like you know, like I've bench seating on both sides, and I was like, oh. And the moment that I poked my head through the door because I saw Eddie Murphy sitting there just with two other people, I immediately assumed I walked in the wrong room because Eddie Murphy sitting there.
Speaker 31: Give me room, and maybe I shouldn't be here, like I I walked into the super VP area. I'm sorry inside of the tiny room.
Speaker 1: But I was like, please don't have me thrown out of here, and I'm thinking of my mind. But then I was like, I don't know if I should go back to this room. I was talking to the people who would let us sit and they were like, no, no, you can go back there. So I'm by myself and I go back there.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, but Eddie Murphy is She's like, no, no, it's fine, you go. So it's nobody else. Eddie Murphy has people with him, it's just me. So now I got to like put myself.
Speaker 1: Together and make like the proper human person in control of themselves. Introduction like her good evening, everyone, Hew, were you lo lo off?
Speaker 4: Four of us?
Speaker 1: And I said, hi, you know, I'm Dante almost and then and then they're very polite. Eddie shook my hand and everything sat down, and then you know, and they're not really saying.
Speaker 4: Anything to each other, just back there, just kind of chilling listening to music. It's very it's very like what rich people do when it's you know, so just chilling. Serene. I went to Dave spell show and.
Speaker 6: Then a few moments.
Speaker 1: Later after that and he turns to his wife at the time it goes you'll be chilling with most depth.
Speaker 4: I was like what, I was like, do you I'm I said, I'm chilling with like I'm meetre with you. You don't understand.
Speaker 1: I could have like had a Michael Jackson like screaming crying over because that individual right there. For how when I was growing up to see him on essen L, it is what he was. It was like he was my career path and then all of this hip hop should happened. But that's where I was going. I was like, I'm gonna be eighteen and on SNL and that's my job. So when I met him, I was like what And then it was time after that, then then I got showtime and there.
Speaker 4: You mean Robert. Yeah, uh, Robertsonill was super cool, a very serious guy.
Speaker 7: You would you like, do you like this Japanese whiskey?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: No, no, that's all about it.
Speaker 4: That by the way, I'm thinking.
Speaker 22: That the name that is the name of a Blackstall record on Drake Sam's combination.
Speaker 6: He's called.
Speaker 4: That's allus.
Speaker 1: Robert Denill was cool, super cool, serious, you know. But I mean it's you know, you feel the gravity of his presidence.
Speaker 3: A second, Robert, think about yourself, nigga might feel the gravity of your presence.
Speaker 4: I like this phrase, gravity of your presence. That's what you feel that way, bitch, that's me. That's my presence.
Speaker 32: Is say, do I feel that way about myself? Sometimes? I mean to be honest, tell the truth. Yes, to be honest, yes, you see how people you know might respond. But to be honest, I don't want to I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Know how people feel about me. Either way, good little by it.
Speaker 9: It's really your business business.
Speaker 4: Say what you be saying. Sometimes body spray and drive pat you feel that's the gravity of my presence I'm talking about.
Speaker 9: I go too far.
Speaker 19: I know.
Speaker 6: You about to fuck with somebody right now? Say what you be saying to me about praise.
Speaker 4: Chair that I go too far. We haven't gone too far.
Speaker 1: Praise be as as detrimental as harsh criticism, right, because if you if you fall into being praised too much, and you get a custom or even develop an appetite for that, you could possibly be easily manipulated and very often, and I have a proper perspective on where you really are, you know, and critics get praised a lot. I tell you, what are you saying this? I'm like, oh no, you ain't a wanting to myself. But it's just you know, it's not adjustment on anybody.
Speaker 2: It's just like.
Speaker 1: For me, like but it's just like you know, now that we have the record out, I don't really read the reviews but so much, you know what I'm saying. I've seen certain comments or whatever, but I try not to pay attention to them, either way positive or otherwise, because ultimately, the thing is how I feel about it before I do it, as I'm doing it after it's done. So I have to live with my relationship with what I do longer than anybody anyway. So it's it's important for me to feel good about what it is I'm doing, and I mean, of course it's.
Speaker 4: Room for improving with human beings.
Speaker 1: I'm not perfect, but you know that I was damn there, that's the perfect man this new album?
Speaker 4: Yeah you.
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 4: You always feel that way about creating.
Speaker 1: I was always amazed by people who were able to do it professionally and not have to do anything else.
Speaker 4: And to me, that was the entire victory.
Speaker 1: If you could get to do this, to be an artist, to be a creative professionally without having to have a secondary gig that you may or may not like and that you're only doing, you know, to like keep the light song, so to speak. To me, that was the whole, the whole magic trick so to speak, you know, not even the trick, but like that was the like that was the measure of success because it means that it's something that you are good at doing, that you enjoy doing, that you can get to do on a like earned daily bread level. That's like, you know, short feet. I remember when Drake said that, you know, rappers when they wrapped to pay their bill shit and all, like this is not even a little bit.
Speaker 4: And I thought about that.
Speaker 1: I was like, if anybody can rap good enough, to get one bill paid.
Speaker 4: Like if somebody say like, oh, you.
Speaker 1: Know, what's your phone bill or what's your cable bill or whatever it be, Like, no, don't worry about it. You know I put in sixteen bars a month and then you know they just cover my my cable.
Speaker 9: Right, that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: They made it. I mean the man I have made it.
Speaker 1: But then you are good enough to get a bill paid or somebody will accept your creative work as currency.
Speaker 4: Incredible to me.
Speaker 3: We are never getting say I'm anna pacifist. I stabbed the nigga once when I was listening to the super stuff.
Speaker 14: That's a really good rerection. Allegedly. Okay, I gotta be quick Thomas line. Okay, I mean being back to the high tech or premo. Oh come on, Man's premiere.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna drink. Don't you answer me this question. I'm answering this question. Man, nigga was drunk.
Speaker 6: Listen jail premiere is that's my twin.
Speaker 4: That's my twin.
Speaker 23: First, that's my twin, Primo, that's my twin. That was fine, you know what I'm saying. You shot anyways, that's my twin. High Text's my favorite producer. High check for Cincinnatiohi, right down.
Speaker 9: The road, not mad mad Live is very good.
Speaker 4: I love how text is my text is my favorite. Taking a job.
Speaker 6: No, we're not taking a shot, he said, Primo, Yes, give me a shot.
Speaker 4: I won't say this.
Speaker 6: Hot check whatever.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, but I gotta what.
Speaker 6: I just gotta say. I I gotta say because Hot Tech we did this, We did this.
Speaker 4: Jock is incredible.
Speaker 7: We just black Stolbu with Mad Living Mad Live is we just whole album Maddlin.
Speaker 6: Nobody has done a whole black job except for Madlin. But I checkted eighty percent.
Speaker 4: That first Black Star.
Speaker 13: Hoig texted the whole Reflection Eternal album and people hear my voice until I wrapped on those hot Tech beats, damn space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I take it, Master. I mean, that's really hard one.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like, you know, it's pretty much as Gang Star. It's like, you know, it's just another level, but you know they're definitely in the in the echelon together.
Speaker 4: For bias, it was a personal bias.
Speaker 9: How everyone let me ask you this one.
Speaker 4: I think you met him both, and I think you met him both, and I'm not sure if you met him both. M j.
Speaker 1: Or Prince I met them both, especially Price, but these are a hard dream that he worked with.
Speaker 6: Michael Jackson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brandon, Michael Jackson might not be mipples to apples.
Speaker 7: We're asking about that about Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: Might Michael Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was another video called Ghost.
Speaker 1: It was like his It was like Thriller, like ten or fifteen years later, and he was playing take one of the epic videos for one of his songs, and I played one of the cast members in it, and uh yeah, I got to see him do his choreography like yeah live it was I was like nineteen geez and they shot it in LA.
Speaker 32: That's say you know when you say Prince to Michael Jackson, I'll tell you this story, tell you.
Speaker 4: I was on tour two thousand and nine.
Speaker 19: It was the.
Speaker 1: Ecstatic, My my last album, but I first came out and I was on tour and the first date was in Minneapolis, and Jay Electronica.
Speaker 4: Was on our tour with me and.
Speaker 1: The album that come out in June. We were on too on August. It was our first date on the tour.
Speaker 4: We do the show.
Speaker 6: The show is good.
Speaker 4: People are with us, but it's also the record was new.
Speaker 1: It was our first day on tour, I kind of do you know how you get just kind of like still working out the k so to speak.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So the show ends, we backstage, dude comes back.
Speaker 1: He's a little you know, like toasty, and he's like, y'all our DJ for Prince and man, Prince will.
Speaker 9: Really meets you.
Speaker 1: And we was like, okay, all right, local winos and drop safely, and but he just kept of lingering around, like you know, he was there for like an hour more. After the show is just kind of kicking it at every ten to fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: This dude come back, Prince want to meet you.
Speaker 2: Man for you.
Speaker 4: He's like, okay, crazy guy, we leave it now.
Speaker 1: You be job safe. So go to the hotel. It's like maybe two thirty in the morning. All I want to do is go to tell and sleep, right.
Speaker 4: I just shows you. I get on the bus in the morning.
Speaker 9: It's you know, you know the drug Prince comes out.
Speaker 6: No, okay.
Speaker 4: So I'm laying I'm laying I'm in we in the w a someplace like this, and I'm laying out on the bed.
Speaker 1: I haven't taken off I haven't put the sheets back on, took off my shoes. I'm laid out like little radcal style on the bed and I get a call from my tour manager at the time and he's like, yo, you want to meet Prince tonight. And I was like, look, man, everybody need to stop playing these reindeer games. It's two thirty in the morning.
Speaker 4: I'm going to bed.
Speaker 1: If this doesn't happen, like in the next five to ten minutes, I might gonna be conscious.
Speaker 4: So it's not gonna happen. So good night, and tell Prince that said hello.
Speaker 1: Laid out radio silence five minutes later, stood up five minutes later and I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Pick up the phone. My guy goes you ready. I'm like, yeah, yeah, bat, I'm ready because I want to see you.
Speaker 1: Make I see Prince to the quarter of this v in the morning, because right now you.
Speaker 4: Got to show me, right.
Speaker 1: So I walk downstairs on three o'clock in the morning, I'm walking in the corridor to the to the side exit of the hotel and I.
Speaker 4: See a man standing outside.
Speaker 1: With the black suits, perfectly pressed, white shirt, black tie. He's standing with his hands folded in front of a perfectly gleamingly polished forward focus. The ship is shining like it's a fucking double all Bentley coon with the fucking black I'll never forget this black with the white leather seats. And when I saw them let the seat so that fucking brilliantly polished the black forward focus like a company corporate car.
Speaker 4: I was like, I I think we're either going to see the biggest jug dealers over going to see press.
Speaker 1: Well twenty minutes later, I'm looking at the motorcycle from purple rank.
Speaker 4: Does he have a blow with something? Have a bow on trying to scrap?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he had it to.
Speaker 4: Shiah, Yeah, it's custom and she hit him prints clothes respect.
Speaker 1: It was a dude with a giant chef had It was like, I want some cookies. I was like, it's three o'clock in the morning. Who even has a chef on.
Speaker 6: Cookies?
Speaker 4: There's like, you want some cookies?
Speaker 1: And we're like, yeah, we take some cookies and brought out a tray of perfectly baked, warm chocolate cookies.
Speaker 9: Just context and you love cookies. This is the Chapelle show.
Speaker 4: He's it's like an airplane hangar and it's three in the morning. He's got full band on stage. Nobody in the hangar. It's like half a dozen people the party.
Speaker 7: It's not a competition.
Speaker 4: He was on States and then I'm saying, that's the relations to Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: He prays a whole sets. It's incredible. Were stunned. He says, you can clap, you got.
Speaker 4: In for free and that, and then he ends the set.
Speaker 1: And this was like no more than forty days after Michael Jackson had died.
Speaker 4: Right, she plays I Want to Be where You are instrumental, no vocals. The band plays it. Prince stayed away to.
Speaker 33: Chris this is and he's he's talking to Michael Jazz. No, he did, Hans Lord, we recently see you get back your Netflix.
Speaker 4: You mean.
Speaker 5: Not the Netflix. Uh, well well it was through Netflix the Chapelle Show. I'm right now trying to buy my my first two albums and they're actually complying with me.
Speaker 4: They just did it too, the same label.
Speaker 5: How was that day for people that artists, you know, whether it's a comedian, whether it's a you.
Speaker 9: Know, come in and not knowing the deals that they signed and and and retracted those deals.
Speaker 4: How was it for you? Man?
Speaker 3: Look Laurd in all honesty, this is a complicated discussion, right, but you know what, I know.
Speaker 4: We should say much more than that. Well now, but I know, you know, you know, I know that.
Speaker 3: Black Star, black Star releases album away. Let nobody released the album for us? Yes, because they know too?
Speaker 16: What do we know?
Speaker 4: We need to own our own We well, whatever we know and we know.
Speaker 16: This is what.
Speaker 3: This is what I call expensive knowledge, which what you had to go through to know what you know? In this regard, that's a tough one, right, So what we already.
Speaker 2: Take, right, we know.
Speaker 9: And we know, yes, you know, it's confidence, right.
Speaker 3: And listen, it's the only career we got. I think we're all protecting something. There's a certain artistic truth.
Speaker 17: We have to be.
Speaker 3: True to, the true, to our muse. This is why I love this Black Star record. Twenty four years and they drop like it's nothing. It still sound as young as they did when they started, and the ill bars the albums called no Fear Time, What's young?
Speaker 4: But I was me the whole time.
Speaker 3: I can remember if I think back, how eight year old meat felt at this time of that time.
Speaker 6: Mhm, you close your eyes you can see it.
Speaker 4: I was me the whole time. I was me the whole time.
Speaker 3: Listen, whatever whatever happened happened, whatever will happen will happen.
Speaker 4: But man, what a moment.
Speaker 3: I'm doing the drink Champs and Yellow Springs Ohio with most death Tyler quality. We only need extra pages in our passports because we are those kinds of niggas.
Speaker 9: Yes, we travel this world.
Speaker 4: Everyone does it, and here we all are in Miller. Don'twhare beeing us? Feels good? Man? Listen.
Speaker 3: The fact that they do this out luminary is a bar. The fact that I get to touch this process.
Speaker 4: Like this is an honor. The fact that you are here doing drink Champs, nigga, This is for the culture. It means something. This is right now, It's just the day of our lives. Well you see his days going. Yeah, we've made a good memory, this one, This one should be on the wall. It was a good one the first and many times. Hopefully.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Ohio, Thanks and welcome back after twenty four years. Yes, let start, let's go, let's go, let's push this culture forward.
Speaker 4: Yes, because yes, seen Bebe and Tyler the same way. I'm gonna talk to Dave and I'm gonna talk to Don now I'm not talking.
Speaker 2: Them on I'm.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, but but let me just take something, the combination, the camaraderie, y'all.
Speaker 4: Together, the chemistry.
Speaker 5: This is your home too, you know, chemistry for Brooklynlyn because it's New York City and then it's.
Speaker 4: Brooklyn, no stop, other than Brooklyn, nigga, that's.
Speaker 6: The planet.
Speaker 4: No disagreed.
Speaker 1: Bears The of the population in New York City, Yes, that's just the facts. If that's changed in recent years, unberknownst to me. If there's a more populous city in in New York City and the boroughs right now, then I stand to be corrected. But as far as I know, as far as I'm aware, the majority of people who live in New York City live in Brooklyn, New York. It's a historic borough of historic events, of people, of of of prestige and great achievement from all areas legal and elicit.
Speaker 4: Uh you know what I mean, and.
Speaker 1: Home to some of the greatest of seas they have ever breathed air. And I mean it's not for like, you know, for Ego's sake. I mean, you know, we're doing what we've been allowed to do. You know, we have the facility capacities do it, and that's truly a gift. I want to avoid treating the gifts like an achievement, because it's not.
Speaker 4: What you do with your gift is the real achievement.
Speaker 1: And you know, without sounding to whatever I mean, that's just the way I really feel about it. We try to help as many as we can help, to do good for ourselves so we can do good for others.
Speaker 4: Say what me mean, mean what we.
Speaker 1: Say, don't be mean, don't take ship from nobody under any circumstance.
Speaker 4: Just remain humble and do.
Speaker 1: Beautiful things with the time that we've been given here on earth, with the capabilities and facilities that we have, so we express that in what we do. It's been the better part of my adult life. And I can say the same for Dave and for for Talban, for many of us in this room, and so honor to be here and chop of the children. Just about the about the culture too, And I wanted to say one thing too, because I see these you guys have to push the t on on yes recently, and you're asking the question about the crime narrative or the drug narrative that appears in so much of his work, and you know, I've spoken with pushed it directly about my very.
Speaker 4: My perspective or that directly, you know, And I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Say that as many talented writers out here, many people with strong powers of observation, particularly as you know, people who call themselves mcs, are part of this thing that we're doing. What we put our talent towards promoting or speaking about or addressing is UH is important as far as as I could see, and particularly coming from our communities where so many people were negatively affected by that presence and still are. And with that being said, there's no judgment on anybody who's done that or is doing that this at this point, you know, I have no judgment on it. That's what I'm saying that Like, oh you you know, cause trust me, you know I have. We all got friends and family and somebody that was in that, and it's no judgment on the day humanity to them.
Speaker 4: Is That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to what we promote as lifestyles or ideas, well, you know, that has impact, that has weight, you know, And I don't think we need any more crack commercials for our community or for our humanity at this point, particularly given the space and time that we are in as.
Speaker 4: Members of the human race.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, try to do as much good as you can, you know, do no harm where it is possible, you know, especially if it's unnecessary. And I like to see the rights there are talented that actually have something to say. I'll be curious about what they have to say about what's.
Speaker 4: Going on with all of us, not just going on one niche of the world, you know.
Speaker 1: And when I see it put towards that, I'm like, damn, you know, I think those powers be put to better use, you know. With that being said, also, I feel like what we've done and what I've been contributing up until this point and with this current project is without powallel, you know, there's what we're doing is at the top of the register in terms of quality, consistency, theme, aim, creativity. I don't think we sacrifice any of the overall elements that people want to hear, you know, from MC's or from black Men in particular. I think I approaches courageous. I think it's noble. I think it's it's a classic. Yeah, for sure, don't stop avoid it that world. No no, but it's a classic because it embodies all of those elements, you know what I'm saying, and it's uh, it's well crafted as well as any well crafted class say material. So people may not some people may being doubted that. Some people may not recognize that right now, real hip hop, real hip hop.
Speaker 5: You're not talking to the y'allas, y'all, Yonders, Yonder Yonders is our cousins, y'all and.
Speaker 4: Cousins.
Speaker 5: But let me just tell y'all something, man, because I told you our show is about giving people they flowers, showing people they love.
Speaker 4: Thank y'all so much, Thank you.
Speaker 5: You brothers, because you know what it is the thing about it is now it's cool to give people their flowers, but we invented it. Were the ones that say, you know what, it's cool to make sure everyone knows that this hoodies are super cape.
Speaker 4: This hoodie is a cap.
Speaker 1: Oh, let me shout out my man sweatshirt. Shout out my man navy blue, shout out the wiki, shout out the coming anybody hanging out with right now, that's actually boxing, that's Alchemists.
Speaker 13: Don't even leave a shout out to Kenswick, a shout to Amy Fayla and deny to my favorite artists out right now and the children.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shout to arm and Hammer.
Speaker 9: Nobody fail my son him.
Speaker 4: Arm and Hammer of the group of York I know cocaine.
Speaker 6: Oh that's big. Look.
Speaker 5: Let me just let me just thank y'all once again. Man, because we really all coaches. Our culture limits the way of how we big each other. Shot no car, shot.
Speaker 1: At the Brownsville car and preservation. Shout at the Brownsville car now, don't even shout out the.
Speaker 4: Brownsville car that stuff. Wow, yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 7: Most We're going to get a shot at Puerto Rican beer.
Speaker 9: By the way, you want what you want?
Speaker 7: Another one? Take all that?
Speaker 9: Hey, they will somebody tell they to take him one Las shot. Don't that's take that good?
Speaker 4: Dang, you gotta do this, Just do it for the coach. Want to be Budha. You're Mexican.
Speaker 6: Mexican. Get we got Yeah, you have one of the Japanese, the.
Speaker 7: Japanese.
Speaker 4: Yes, lawyer, I can't believe it. Just I just watched drink Champs line.
Speaker 9: Yes on lie.
Speaker 5: We're about to take over the ranks of this shock because we coming here every once in a month.
Speaker 24: We just it, you know, and Manson or somebody you know what I'm talking about, you know, saying me. So he turned away and ship were going to interview this. Look yeah, so sale shows in somewhere. Listener's like, that's fun that it's true, you know, somt's take this down. You get them drops and we rap he did.
Speaker 9: Let's make some.
Speaker 15: Drink Champs is a drink Champs LLC production hosts and executive producers n o r E and dj e FN. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs, hosted by Yours truly, dj e FN and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms at the Real noriagon ig at Noriega on Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot com