Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic Safe Again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new power move Independence health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com, and buy Caliente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Our number two here on the campus of Saint Vincent College, High Top Chuck no Field, West Shuler, and Matt Williamson. We're going to be joined in about twenty minutes by our buddy Chris Halleck of DK Pittsburgh Sports. We'll get back into some practice conversation, but Matt, how about a little fantasy football focus sounds good to get us rolling in the four o'clock hour. This was put together by Matt is it okata. Is that how he pronounced.
Speaker 3: I'm not familiar with it. He might be a new guy.
Speaker 2: NFL dot Com Fantasy Football content. Ten players that are being overvalued at this point. Ten players that are being undervalued at this point. Okay, from a fantasy football perspective, we'll start with the overvalued number one, Jeremiah Love.
Speaker 3: Oh I think so too, I mean.
Speaker 2: And I can I'm sure you can imagine what the logic is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean so if I'm the Cardinals, First of all, I would not have taken Love in my rebuilder. That's the last piece of the puzzle. But I would hope that they're smart with him and realize, let's not beat this guy into the ground. That's a premium asset to win three games or win four games, you know. So I don't know that his usage is going to be nearly as dream is say Genties was last year, which they probably shouldn't have done that to genty either. At the moment, they still have James Connor, which I think he's a very viable trade candidate maybe Green Bay if Josh Jacobs ni'tt himself out of trouble. But they also signed Tyler Al's year in the offseason. Two, they still have Trey Benson, who was the second round pick just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: The running back room is certainly not the problem.
Speaker 3: Right right, And I don't quite understand the pick for all those reasons you draft the lineman or something, but no, he's not for me. I love the player, but I don't love love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I think it's there might be some some Ashton Genty let down stuff is out of his control, but I think it might not be the rookie season that people are expecting.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Number two is Garrett Wilson on the over valued conversation.
Speaker 3: Perhaps I'm just such a big fan of his game, so I'm not sure I agree with that. There's a lot of receivers going in that neighborhood, and you could nitpick the others in that neighborhood, Wattle perhaps somebody like that. You'd prefer now Wilson's numbers. I mean, it's kind of just a bet on Gino if you think Gino is gonna be okay. I have no problem with Wilson and unliking in Arizona. Gino probably plays all seventeen games, I mean, and they I guess they could throw one of the young guys in the mix, but none of them have like much pedigree. There's not someone on the on the bench that's going to totally derail the offense like when Cook was out there last year. So I'm not sure I buy that one. I just think Wilson's a really good player.
Speaker 2: I do too, I know, and I understand they've got some mouths the feed around him down too, but I that one not. Let's just say I don't like that as much as I like the Jeremiah Love listing and this next one Jalen hurts.
Speaker 3: Oh me too, because I think they're going to try to get away from Tush Push a little bit. I know this sounds nuts, but please don't forget how crazy NFL seasons go. He could get benched, he's absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a specially with that franchise.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, a brand new offense that's really stressing thrown to the middle of the field, which he does less than anybody in the league. And oh, by the way, Jay Brown's not in the mix. I mean, it could go wrong, and he's not a cheap pick. I mean, it's different if you I don't know you draft, you know, some of the twentieth quarterback in your fantasy league and he gets benched or hurt, so what. But if he's fifth off the board, I need you to be happy.
Speaker 2: Next up on the list is David Montgomery of the Houston Texans.
Speaker 3: Tough one, because I do think the offense is better, the old line is better. They've been the worst running team in the league for several years in a row, basically, but he's also to that age with that he could be a vastly declining bayer.
Speaker 2: That's basically his point, and that he thinks he's just going to get not that the player still isn't useful, right, but that he's going to get overvalued, overdrafted.
Speaker 3: I could see that, like I'm a little shock Houston. I know they drafted what he marks, but I was impressed with him. But I would have used like a fourth round pick gone some kind of running back to add to that that stable.
Speaker 2: Next up on this list part of me. It's five it's five overvalued, five under, so ten in total. So last on the overvalued list here is Dallas Goddard, the tight end for the Eagles, so two Eagles in the overvalued basically saying he had the best season of his career last year and that's always tough to to replicate. Yeah, and that now you know, they they bring Stowers into the mix, they bring Makay Lemon into the mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: AJ Brown is gone, but still you know, a lot of a lot of mouths to feed in that uh, in that Philly offense.
Speaker 3: See, I'm going to fight him on this one too. And and what he said isn't wrong either, But his splits when AJ Brown is not on the field are really really good. And I know it's a new offensive staff, but he's been in that organization a long time and they've been doing things a certain way a long time, and they get him the football, especially when Brown's not out there, they do want to throw the middle field more. He's up in eight, but I don't think he's a vastly declining player. And my biggest reason for fighting him is he's going outside the top twelve tight ends. And I mean, so you're getting him cheap. So the value part, I mean, okay, he's overvalued, but he's really cheap.
Speaker 2: I guess it depends on where you draft him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting one. He is thirty one years old, so still in that tight end, you know, maybe on the down side of the prompt.
Speaker 3: But he's talked about retirement already. This could be his last year.
Speaker 2: That offense could look so different next year with a couple of retirements and a couple uhs, especially especially if Herts go sideways and then maybe got It retires, maybe Lane Johnson retires. Yeah, Lane Dickerson has had his issues, talked.
Speaker 3: About it too, with all those injuries. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, Wow, So there's the five over valued. Now let's talk about undervalued. We'll stick with the tight ends here. The first one on his list is Jake Ferguson of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Okay, but also he's dirt cheap. I mean, he's a productive player. He's not for me, though, I mean in the tight end world, I swing for the fences and I want guys that to get down the field. And he's not historically a great average up of the target. Dude, he's not super fast. He's not a dynamic player. Like if he's a Steeler, you'd like him. You know, he's good. McCarthy got a lot of right, McCarthy got a lot out of him. In Dallas. It's just I'm swinging for a bigger fish than that.
Speaker 2: Number two is Parker Washington of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 3: Maybe really good season, about to get paid a lot more than people. It will shock you when the numbers come across really good after the catch physical. Some might remember him from Penn State, from this neck of the woods. The problem with the Jags is they basically told us we're going to play more multiple tight end sets by paying Strange and drafting Bokirker with their first overall, the first pick in the second round, so that that basically tells you we're gonna have less three receivers sets. Travis Hunter has already been said he's gonna be corner first, but I can't believe he's not gonna run some routes this year.
Speaker 2: But they got a lot. I mean, they've got some question marks in that wide receiver room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the corner rooms this weaker because it's Washington, it's Brian Thomas Junior, and it's Myers, Jacobe Myers, right, So all of a sudden, it's like if there's only to be two out there and there's three or four fighting for those spots, do we know Washington's won the top two. Brian Thomas maybe could get traded, but I'm I mean, I'm not gonna hope for that, yeah right, Or you know, put a lot of stock in.
Speaker 2: That Number three for undervalued fantasy football draft picks ahead of this twenty twenty six draft season is Malik Neighbors of the New York Giants.
Speaker 3: This is cheating though, because the injury stuff. If you look at his ADP or you know, all these best ball drafts that have happened, he went quite late because all the news was he's a mess, and I guess there was alse reporting. Was what I heard yesterday that there was a quote cleanup procedure that was much late, late, much after the original surgery, and it just came out the other day. Neighbors is like that never happened, And I guess he's running around a camp now. So his ADP's skyrocketing back up because we got a lot of misinformation or whatever. So he still scares me though, because it's still a monster injury.
Speaker 2: It's a monster injury. But if he's healthy, I mean, he's he's got a lot of targets. He's gonna get a lot of targets, and he's on the short list of one of those better wide receivers.
Speaker 3: I think he's a phenomenal Talleague.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, unbelievable. Number four on the Undervalued conversation Ramandre Stevenson, running back of the New England.
Speaker 3: Patriots, that I definitely agree with. He's perennially underrated. I mean, he's not real flashy. He does fumble a little bit, but he does all the grinding. He's a lot more talented than you think. He has a little bit of home run potential. He's got a little bit of receiver potential. And the thing is everyone's enamored with Trevion Henderson, which I get, but and I know you can't. I hate doing this. You know, people are like, if you take away all his best plays, he wasn't very good. Well, the best plays happened, you know what I mean. But he has some incredible long runs and he has long speed. But he came in the league being billed as, oh, he's a fantastic protection player. He's great in protection. Ohio State. He wasn't in the NFL, you know, I mean, I thought he would be was at Ohio State, but he was not trustworthy on third downs and blitz pick up. He missed a lot of holes. He's just a little bit. I mean, Henderson's very boom or bust, and the coaches don't love that, you know. So therefore, I think Stevenson's the guy to own in that backfield, especially a cost.
Speaker 2: That's if you hey, it says average draft position is round ten. Yeah, running back thirty one. If he's the thirty first running package your board, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: He's your flex or your backup or you know. I'm not saying you gotta start him every week, but you might be happy and plus say it's true if he gets hurt, but if one of the two backs gets hurt, then they're every week starters for sure.
Speaker 2: Correct correct. Last one from our own division. It's wide receivers A Flowers of the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 3: He has one glaring problem is he's barely caught any touchdowns his whole career. Now we have a new offensive coordinator. I don't think Lamar just won't throw them the ball in the end zone. That's usually Andrews, but Flowers should have a very high percentage of targets going his way. The other wideouts on that team aren't particularly good. He's gone, Andrew's up in age. I mean, he may get twelve targets a game. He's a score an, he's smaller. You know, he's not gonna you know, skyrocket over guys on jump balls.
Speaker 2: And sure, sure he was targeted in the red zone last year on just forty three percent of the Ravens red zone passes. Expecting that number to go up. It needs to, and it certainly certainly needs to with new offensive coordinator Declan Doyle says the Flowers is a high end wide receiver number two and is being wildly undervalued average draft position so far in the fourth round and the seventeenth wide receiver overall. So there's a little fantasy football focus, Matt Little, Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll touch on that nearly every day. We'll continue to.
Speaker 2: Go through lists like that and conversations like that. Matt at some point in the next couple weeks will have his top ten for position or even more than sometimes kind of your yeah, top twenty, top you know, big board for all the fantasy football different positions. Matt and I will certainly get to that at some point. YEA, when we come back here, though, we are going to get back into some practice conversation. Chris Hallick is going to join us, one of our regulars throughout the season. We'll get back with Chris and get some of his thoughts on everything that he saw today and everything that he has seen through these first four acclamation period practices before campus goes quiet for a day tomorrow on Sunday, and then the pads go on on Monday. About halfway home. On today's program, Weshuler Matt Williamson, it is the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You Dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission list in CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by Iron Workers Local Union number three.
Speaker 3: We don't go to the office. We build it.
Speaker 2: Back at Chucknolfield here on the campus of Saint Vincent College, a Saturday evening, rolling along here, a little couple ominous clouds, but nothing too serious as we put a boat on the day's proceedings and four acclamation practices in the books. Joining us now. He's one of our regulars. Good friend of the show. Chris Hallick of dk Pittsburgh Sports Chris, what's up, dude? Back at camp and another year where a lot feels and looks the same, but it's been rather different out there on the field through these first four days.
Speaker 4: I'd say the setting is about all that's familiar.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 4: It's been a lot of changes, a lot of differences. Everything feels a lot more fast paced. The attention to detail has been the theme from talking with the players. Had a chance to talk with a few other players after practice just today. And while Mike McCarthy's been the only coach to really talk publicly about it, Patrick Graham he's doing his work on the defensive side as well.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of changes, not that one's better than the other, but it's a very, very different camp, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: So a different quarterback here from last year they drafted out of Penn State, Drew Aller. We were talking before we hit record here that you know, some of the things you saw at Penn State good and bad, and it's different seeing him live. But give me your thoughts on this guy.
Speaker 4: So he did the two minute drill today for the first time, and it was very drollery.
Speaker 3: Like, which is good and bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were.
Speaker 4: A couple of a couple of misses that you just kind of kind of leaves you scratch on your head. But then there was one throw on fourth and ten down the sideline back shoulder to a T Perry. I mean, my gosh, it was It was a dot, that's for sure. And that's kind of what you expect out of Drealer. For those who watched him at Penn State there there were some insane throws that he made while he was with the Nidney Allons, And so I honestly think if overall, not just the two minute drill, but overall, I've actually thought he's been way more consistent throughout his work than I expected him to be. I think his footwork has been very very much improved from the first time.
Speaker 3: We saw him a rookie clearly, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's really really been working on it. I feel like he is in rhythm a lot more. Granted it helps a lot when the receivers are open and on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it so.
Speaker 4: He had one throw over the middle in a tight window today and ended up being dropped, but it was right where it needed to be. I actually have been pretty impressed with Drew so far. Is he showing that like, oh my gosh, you gotta make him a starter now? No, but he's he still looked pretty good at that.
Speaker 3: I think there's clearly something to work with there.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And he just makes throwing the football look so effortless. And I think that's just such a.
Speaker 3: Will Howard. But it's night and day it is to me.
Speaker 4: It is when when Will is able to just drop back, get on platform and throw, he can. He can make a lot of NFL throws, he really can. But when it comes to anything where you're gonna have to move within the pocket.
Speaker 3: Be a little off balance or out of structure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they were working on a drill today where all they're doing is they're taking the snap play action and then they get to that back foot and then they have a coach come in where you have to ye, there's a huge That's where you really see the difference between Will Howard and Drew Aller because Howard's got to set like move out of the way, like reset to set the feet again and then throw.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's a whole one to one thousand. It isn't, but it just feels like forever as opposed to know. Yeah, and then you see Rogers doing it like whoa well.
Speaker 4: And see that's the thing is that Drew looks more like Aaron in that drill than anything else. And I think that's where you really see the arm talent pop because we all know Aaron's got one of the best arms of all time and it's still super.
Speaker 3: Platforms and all those things like you talked about, right, and Drew is.
Speaker 4: Able to able to do that kind of stuff. So I've actually been really impressed with Drew so far. Again, not to the point where you're like, oh my gosh, do you make him a starter right now? But I think he's been pretty impressive thus far.
Speaker 2: You know, it is funny, we understandably, so we've spent so much time talking about Will Howard and Drew Aller that it feels like we've barely had any Aaron Rodgers conversation these first four days, anything that you've been able to observe him his former head coach.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: It seems like I shouldn't say every time, because that would be I'd be exaggerating, But it seems like a lot of the times when you'd look up and be like, where's Aaron. Oh, he's right there with Mike McCarthy, and then you know, twenty minutes later, wait, where's Aaron. Oh, he's over there with Mike McCarthy. Just seems like they've been and again, I don't want to say attached at the hip, because that would be that'd be over exaggerating, but it seems like they've had real like moments of communication all throughout practice these four days.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I kind of expected that to happen. I know a lot was written and said about the way things ended in Green Bay. That was also eight years ago. A lot of time has passed since then. Regardless of what happened what didn't happen. I'm sure anything that's been documented about that isn't the entire truth. But what we can see what we're actually witnessing right here every day at Saint Vincent Collegees. The two are obviously on the same page. They're constantly communicating. There are sometimes even that drill I was just talking about a couple of minutes ago, Aaron wasn't even participating in that. He's just standing there with Mike McCarthy the entire time, you know, chatting about it, while Mason Rudolph and Will Howard and Drew Aller are going through those drills. So yeah, they are, They're attached to the hip when Aaron's not, you know, participating in drills. That's kind of what I expect to happen. Mike McCarthy is very very much an offensive coach, a quarterback driven offensive coach, so I expect him to be working with the starter, and I would expect the same thing to happen even in future training camps whenever Aaron Rodgers is done playing football. That's just also I think how Mike McCarthy wants to operate, how he wants to work, how he wants to coach. But it doesn't surprise me at all obviously given their history together too.
Speaker 3: So as you and our listeners know, there's three cornerbacks right now on the pup list and aren't participate participating in practice. But sure looks like to me that the Sante Samuel Junior and Dylan Everett, the draft pick, are taking advantage of the situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a Sante Samuel Junior for sure has really really stood out. Now. Granted, I want to, you know, put the the the the disclaimer out there that hey, listen, they haven't even put the pads on yet, it's the acclamation period. But he's got several PBUs already, I mean, including one in the two minag drill today against DK Metcalf. He has broken up passes, He's been right where he needs to be. He's playing with a swagger we didn't even see last year, and maybe that's just because you know.
Speaker 3: He was feeling better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was coming off the back issue, and you know he was signed to the practice squad. Then he's getting on a moving train, as Mike Tomlin like to put it, and you know, then it's okay, get on the field, and there's not really a lot of time to play with the swagger even though like he didn't have I think at least one interception last year. But he is playing with almost like playing with his hair on fire out there right now, as much as you can in this setting, Daleen Everett, He's you know, been on the wrong end of a couple of throws in camp. One was in the two min drill against Aaron Rodgers and DK metcalf, metcalf making a heck of a catch. The other one was that throw by Drew Galeros talking about at Perry down the sideline, Daleen Everett was on the wrong end of that. That being said, I have had coaches tell me that they are very, very impressed with him. Mike McCarthy got behind the podium I believe it was yesterday and said, he does not look like a rookie so.
Speaker 3: A lot of times a fluid, explosive mover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you can really see the athleticism. I think the I think the part with Dalen Everett is is really going to be. This really is more of a developmental year for him. I mean just when you look, when you look at what.
Speaker 3: They have on the roster, I think he's almost like Drew Aller, right yeah, like we don't want to play him at all, but right right.
Speaker 4: Now, if he ends up getting on the field then you know, great that that that might be like a Mason McCormick situation where we weren't planning on him getting on the field, but if he gets on the field, then maybe he'll he'll you know, swim pretty pretty good instead of sink. Yeah, but yeah, I think exactly this could be a developmental year for him. Joey Porter Jr. Hasn't gotten on the field that he's one of the ones on the pup list so and there's a lot of guys ahead of him, including a Sante Samuel Jr. But they they the depth that cornerback looks really good so far.
Speaker 2: Chris Hallick with us here on the Drive on the campus of Saint Vincent College here on Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network. All right, you mentioned his name there, so I got to ask, staying in the cornerback room, any movement around the long term future of Joey Porter Junior, and how do you think that all plays out?
Speaker 4: Not that I've heard thus far. When it comes to the specifics of the negotiations. What I do know is that both sides want to get something done. Joey wants to be with the Steelers and Steelers want to want to keep him. It doesn't have to get done this I think both sides would prefer it get done this summer. But there is that thing called the franchise tag next spring that they could always use. Yes, that's going to be expensive, but you know, you do what you do to keep your players, and Omar kN has talked about wanting to keep as many players from that draft class as possible. That's turned out to be a really good draft class. They've already extended Nick Herbig and Darnell Washington. You could make cases for Keanu Benton and Spencer Anderson, who are both in starting roles on the team. Joey, he's turned into one of the better cornerbacks in the game, I think right now. As it typically is with contract negotiations, guaranteed money's probably the biggest sticking point, and usually these second year contracts are the hardest ones to negotiate. You know, you look to last summer, it's like, well, they got something done with TJ. Watt, you know, but TJ had already had like this career where he had already accomplished so much. You kind of know where where the money's gonna be. But remember the first time that they were negotiating, it was a second year contract that took until the week yep, the week of the opening game that season. So these first or these second contracts are usually the hardest to negotiate. I would expect it to possibly get done. I think they're gonna get it done before the season. Do I think it gets done before they wrap up camp here? I'm not exactly sure about that.
Speaker 3: I also think the players and agents are a little less lenient on the first negotiation. It's easier when Wat's got millions in the bank and you know, you're looking at it like this is my one time to pay off. Maybe who knows, But I want to switch gears with you. You and I were chatting the other night. I thought you had a really astute observation that hadn'tdawned on me until you said it. But of all the position rooms on this team, there's only one that had zero change, and that's the inside linebacker room. Now, I don't think it's Ham and Lamberton there that they're so happy that they're not going to change, but it implied to me, including the coach Scott mccar and I know he's got an extensive history with Mike McCarthy, and maybe he'd have been back no matter what. But it's the exact same group of players. Makes implies to me that they didn't think those guys were the problem, or they would have done something about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean when you make Omar has shown time and time again that you know he's if something needs to get change, he's gonna make changes.
Speaker 3: No, he's not bashful.
Speaker 4: One of the one of the things I think, one of the things that really stands out to me about that is possibly not being happy with the level of cornerback play that's happened. They go into free agency and they get Jamal Deane top of the market.
Speaker 3: Double down the third round, which I didn't see coming right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they really really wanted to address cornerback. They brought back to Sante Samuel Jr. So when you look at the inside linebacker room, and yeah, they keep two of the coaches from Mike Tomlin staff, Tom Marth the quarterbacks coach, and you know Mike gott Yeah, and then they keep Scott McCurley. But then you know, one of the first things they did in free agency was bring back.
Speaker 3: Cole hulkm Yeah, and I thought Harrison might get cut.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, Harrison is still here and he's still I mean, you still got to get the roster from ninety down to fifty three.
Speaker 3: By the by true, I thought he'd be a cap casualty months ago, to be honest with you, right, And they must like him exactly.
Speaker 4: They He's still here. The room is still the same.
Speaker 3: For now Bruin or Queen Wilson, you know, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I do think that they they believe the talent is there. I think they believe that what Patrick Graham can do with this defense might free those guys up a little bit more to be able to play free play with more confidence.
Speaker 3: Use the term play faster too, play.
Speaker 4: Faster what you know. I think one of the biggest things that I heard was, you know, the linebackers were not just responsible for their own responsibilities, but making sure other guys were where they needed to be. And it's hard a.
Speaker 3: Lot on your plate. So kill's going in motion and you're trying to do two people's jobs at the same time, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's yeah, that's that's hard to do. So I'm curious to see what Patrick Graham is going to do to feature those guys or least get those guys to play free. But yeah, I think it says a lot that of all the things that changed this offseason, and there was a lot of change, that that room didn't change at all.
Speaker 3: Lastly, on the linebacker point, we didn't really talk run game, but I like Keanu Benton. I'd consider extending him, But I don't think he did them a lot of favors in the run game ahead of them in terms of keeping blockers off them either.
Speaker 4: No, but that I think that's also like what was being asked of the defensive front. Yeah, where were.
Speaker 3: They a role change for him could be great, right?
Speaker 4: Were they trying to what was he just miscast and where he was playing or was it just hey, we want you to try to be a space eater when he's not a space eater, you know, or do we want him to play? I think it's it's hard to It's hard to gauge. That's why I'm kind of really just really curious. I'm really excited for that first preseason game to see what.
Speaker 3: This looks like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that defensive front does have to do its job so that there are not players in the linebackers laps. There was a lot of that hard to play linebacker whenever you got guys in your lap.
Speaker 2: What are your this is a pretty wide open question. What are your expectations for TJ Watt in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 4: Man, I don't want to ever put a ceiling on a player like TJ Watt that's accomplished so much in the league. I mean, up until last year, you know, he you know, was tied with Michael Strahan for the sack record in the NFL. When you know you're sure, you can just try to go by like, hey, well he's you know, on the wrong side of thirty now, and he's not quite as fast or quick as he used to be. But you know TJ last year, Okay, let's really be honest about TJ. Last year. Was he bad? No, it was not a bad play.
Speaker 2: He just wasn't Defensive Player of the Year TJ.
Speaker 4: Right, And of all the things that TJ still did very well, I would even say at an elite level last year. He's still an elite run defender and he's still very ball aware. Those are two things that you always want to have on your defense, especially when you're talking about your defensive front. And I think when you get a little bit more imagined.
Speaker 3: I think that is batting down passes. He's just always what plan is right right, right right. Clearly offensive coordinators are very aware of him still, and.
Speaker 4: I understand I understand, like there are sites like p f F that don't like to, you know, credit players for the guys who get the fumble recoveries. They prefer to credit the guys who get the forced fumble. But there's I think at a certain point there, you know, the player gets credit if he's always where the ball is. You know that, and that that is who TJ is. He's always where the ball is. And you know, I think TJ could definitely benefit from a little bit more imagination up front.
Speaker 3: An interception today drop.
Speaker 4: Dropped in the coverage, picked off Aaron Rodgers. Uh yeah, I think he could really benefit from a little bit more uh imagination disguises. Uh some you know situations where it's a simulated pressure where it looks like you're bringing the house and one of the guys that drops back in the coverage is TJ. You know, and and you know we've seen what he can do. I remember the interception he had against the rams, you know, confusing Matthew Stafford of all people, you know, he can do a lot more than just rush the passers. So I think he could still have a very TJ like year. Would I just go out and say, oh, well go and you know, place your bets that he's gonna win defensive the year. I'm not gonna say that, but I don't want to ever put a ceiling on TJ.
Speaker 3: I was just about to let you go, but a lot of people are like, well, they got to move him around more. And the more I thought through it, it's not like, well, it'll just take high Smith and put him on the left and TJ on the right. I don't know what that gained you. But like what you mentioned, maybe overload blitzes from his side, simulated pressures, maybe have him win to the inside shoulder of tackles more and stunts and loops and drops, and he kind of knew what his game plan was the whole time. I don't care where he aligns as much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean one thing that you can I'm not going to sit here and play, you know, defensive coordinator. That's that's far from I'm not qualified to do that. But if you do something did something as simple as you know, you have TJ on one side and you overloaded the other side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, makes it a lot harder to chip them, and.
Speaker 4: Because then you're forcing the offense to be like, Okay, we're either going to continue to shift our protection over to the cyde where TJ is, but then we make ourselves vulnerable, vulnerable to where the pressure might be coming from.
Speaker 3: So you were then maybe Herbig and Highsmith both the lined on the outside show, you know once in a while.
Speaker 4: And there was there was one fright, there was one time in practice yesterday I did see both Herbig and Highsmith over on the same side together. So there. I do think you are going to see more of this mixing and matching. I'm not gonna say like dick Lebou like stuff, but it could be kind of dick lebow like. Remember Patrick Graham has learned under some of the more exotic type coaches Steevez, Bagnolo, if.
Speaker 3: You could just one on ones, yeah, just scheme help them with scheme. I don't even have to isolate him on a back I kill it back, But I mean, if you can scheme him into one on ones theroduction is gonna come.
Speaker 4: I think so too. Yeah, I really think he and a lot of players on this defense will benefit from more innovation, more moving around, a lot less static stuff that we were seeing over recent.
Speaker 2: Years before we let you go. I know, that's like the third time we've said that now. Maybe four Steelers Hall of Honor class announced this morning, and obviously Kevin Colbert and J. T. Thomas two immensely deserving candidates. But I know, like Matt and I, I'm sure you were happy to see Wolf get in there. Chris, it doesn't matter what you do around this team, if you cover the team like we do, if you're in any type of media capacity, if you're a player, if you're a coach, if you're a staff member, even if you're just a Steelers fan who comes out here, Craig Wolfly has an impact on every single one of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Wolf, every single time we had in the interaction, man, it was just he was He was one of the nicest people I've ever known, Like really, he just whether it was here at training camp or just on any you know, given sunday, you know, at Akracher Stadium, just every interaction he always had a smile on his face. He was always a fun person to talk to, always somebody that you felt like if you were talking to him for too long, because you feel like you'd be stealing him from other people.
Speaker 2: Ye had time for everybody, he really did.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You know, I know everybody misses him a ton. I know, you know, being here and not having him here, you know, really sucks. But to see him get that honor today was really cool. And uh yeah, yeah, definitely miss him a ton.
Speaker 2: We were joking him and tounch A're gonna be having some cigars up there in Heaven tonight to celebrate Chris Alex. Make sure you're checking out all his coverage DK Pittsburgh Sports. Thanks for the time as always, Dud, Thanks guys, appreciate it. Matt and I will be back to close down the four o'clock hour bonus hour if five pm. Keep those tweets rolling in. Plenty more ground to cover before we get up out of here. It is the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Lease He's live Coverry Jump twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network presented by bud Light. Easy to drink, Easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Back at Chuckdoldfield. Here at the conclusion of practice number four of this training camp period for your Pittsburgh Steelers and Matt we have massive breaking news. Oh, the return of the green line painting on the field.
Speaker 3: Baby, it's getting a little workout. Well, I don't know where it went now, I think it's down.
Speaker 2: It's right down here to our right. Yeah, behind the weather protecting stuff there.
Speaker 3: It feels like a player after practice that's doing the extra work because they didn't have a good practice.
Speaker 2: Just gonna say, it's like I got to hit the jugs, machines, I gotta run the hill a couple times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't my best at that practice when they needed me most, So I'm gonna do a little extra for the team. I think they're a little down on the line Robot.
Speaker 2: The line Robot is out here, he's on the sideline. Maybe gonna get in some extra work. We'll see you know, Matt, and I will keep you posting on everything going on. Pushups and everybody's favorite robot. Had I saw I saw one of our longtime loyal s and R listeners, Jeff across the way. Him and his son come out here every single year and always say hello. And I was walking to lunch and they saw me and hollered and I went over and talked to him for a few minutes and they were cracking up. They were like, we were driving up yesterday listening to the commentary of the of the line Painting Robot. We were we were cracking up. Started well, So we got a couple other tweets from people that that enjoyed it. So yeah, we will if if the if the line Painting Robot returns, we will make sure to let everybody know.
Speaker 3: It's getting a little work out on the side here behind the scenes. Now it's going to I have a feeling it's out for some reason.
Speaker 2: Now's the time, though, right, because I mean there's there's no one watching nothing on these fields tomorrow.
Speaker 3: They don't look like they need line though. I'm just wondering, pretty good fitdle with it and someone's mixing a paint down there to pour in.
Speaker 2: This might be uh, this might be again like you said, like the guy who all right, you didn't have such a good day yesterday. But let's see if we can respond here. Yeah, there's no crowd out here right now.
Speaker 3: The pressure if you screw it up, you know, we got time get it fixed.
Speaker 2: Getting the film. Maybe they got in the film room last night with mister Robot.
Speaker 3: I would hope you needed to figured this whole thing down.
Speaker 2: They also speaking of a breaking down and setting up. They got the whole Pat McFee show set is going in up there at the base. Did you see that earlier when.
Speaker 3: We were no, I didn't actually go to lunch today.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, it's all I mean from where we're sitting right now, you can't see it great because those big trees are in front of us, but it's a massive stage that they were setting up over there. So mad it'll be real quiet here tomorrow. But things are really going to pick up on Monday with mgafee in town, the pads going on.
Speaker 3: Have you ever done a day here when there's nothing going on? It's like crickets, it's like tumbleweed, Like tomorrow will be really quiet.
Speaker 2: I think my very first year, I've.
Speaker 3: Only done like one. I always go home when I can.
Speaker 2: And I know you know this, but I'll peel back the curtain quickly for everybody. I was. I was living in the summer of twenty eighteen when I got this job. I was living and working in Philadelphia. That's when I was. I was doing stuff for the Eagles and for the Phillies. I had two weeks to get back home here and like move from the time that I got hired to when I started, I had two weeks and so that was a crazy process for me. And so my first day with iHeart and with the Steelers was the first day of training camp at twenty eighteen. Like, oh wow, I had no onboarding or anything like that. It was like my first day. So you know, I'm trying to immerse myself. I'm trying to learn everything, meet all you guys, this whole process, you know, get on boarded as quickly as possible. So that summer I did stay out here not every off day, but at least the first couple because I was just like, I don't want to go, like, you know, like be here, what if something happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I'm realizing, not quite realizing, you probably should go.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so I think eventually. I think eventually I did. But you're right, it's it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's pretty crazy empties.
Speaker 2: It's like Max Starks. Maybe there are.
Speaker 3: Some players they don't all go home, like theyd.
Speaker 2: Go guys and everything, golf balls or whatever.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure there's.
Speaker 3: Sure here though. I can go back to Arizona for a day.
Speaker 2: Right, Max always like goes to the movies or you know, I know some of them will like, especially people like Max who don't live here, Like I think Max goes into the city on a couple of those off days and you know, goes and see some friends or.
Speaker 3: Players and stuff, some old buddies.
Speaker 2: It hits some of his old favorite you know, food spots and that type stuff. So, yeah, it will be it'll be quiet here tomorrow and the rest of tonight certainly, but on Monday business will be booming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the MACV thing I forgot all that, it's gonna be do you know what time he goes on the air noon noon to two. Okay, practice starts at eleven.
Speaker 2: Practice starts at eleven, so I would recommend uh getting here a little bit early.
Speaker 3: I think there's gonna be last year they did, did they well?
Speaker 2: Because remember last year practice started it at one fifty five mm hm. So like what he goes on noon, no matter what. So it was basically like he was wrapping up the show right as Steelers practice was starting. Last year. Well it's whereas this year it'll be more like practice will be ongoing throughout most of their show, and then I'm sure they'll have plenty of guests and all and all that good stuff going on as well.
Speaker 3: Very cool, obviously that will be fun.
Speaker 2: It will be two hours in the books bonus hour when we returned. That means we're gonna hit the tweets to start the five o'clock hour. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. The West Shooler Matt Williamson on the campus of Saint Vincent College. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelerstion Radio on the Steelers Audio Network