Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio Zarin Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good?
Speaker 2: Me too?
Speaker 3: I'm doing really good.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 2: That makes two of us.
Speaker 3: Oh glad for us.
Speaker 2: It's happy, it's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's done.
Speaker 2: You know what's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you asked me too. I got a question for you. If you were a telephone scam artist, who would be probably the worst target for you to pick?
Speaker 5: Hmmm?
Speaker 2: Probably you because you never answer your phone.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. Yeah, no, But okay, who's the second worst target you could.
Speaker 2: Pickh an FBI agent?
Speaker 3: How about the former chief of the FBI and also former boss of the CIA. Oh right, that'd be bad.
Speaker 2: That's very bad.
Speaker 3: So there was this guy, Kaneil Thomas, twenty nine years old from Jamaica, and in twenty fourteen, he got on a call and he's like, let me go scam these old people. And so he calls up this old couple, and the old couple happened to be former CIA by and former FBI chief William Webster Noyes. So he identifies them himself as David Morgan, which is a lie, and he says he's the head of Mega Millions lottery, and that Webster had won fifteen and a half million dollars and a new car, a twenty fourteen Mercedes Benz. So he had no idea that who he was targeting was actually the former director of the FBI and this and then later the CIA under Jimmy Carter and later Ronald Reagan. Yeah, and Webster was like now in his nineties, he told Lester Holt from the NBC Nightly News. At the time, it seemed to me that something wasn't quite right. This was pretty obvious to me that there was something fishy about it.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'd never play the lottery. That's number one.
Speaker 3: And then this guy, the scammer, tells him, you can win this Mega millions or whatever, but you have to pay fifty thousand dollars to cover the taxes on the price. And so then he's like, this sounds a little hanky to me. And so his wife, she said it terrified me because he then starts threatening them, and he says, he tells the couple he's been spying on them and if they don't pay, he's gonna does she put it. He told me that what the sniper's bullets would do to my head and the blood go down on my white house. He's like threatening the wife of that. Yes, he's just a phone scammer. So he got busted when he landed a JFK International and unaware that he is a wanted man because the FBI had been looking for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So if you're a phone scammer, do a little research and make sure you're not calling the former head of the CIA.
Speaker 2: Imagine you're just a regular like civilian, you're and you get that kind of call and you're not particularly tech savvy. He's talking about a sniper's bullet. Yeah, oh my god, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: That is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I thought you enjoy that.
Speaker 2: He want to know what else is ridiculous? Junkie jubileese, flopping fetes, pooped parties. Yeah, yeah, sure, this is ridiculous Crime a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, hes and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Damn right, do.
Speaker 2: You remember when I told you all about the fire festival? Fy I forget It's good times right right to the episode not the fire festival itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thankfully.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that the episode?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the jaw rule of it all, those terrible sandwiches of it all.
Speaker 2: It was your second favorite part of the story.
Speaker 3: The people who like fled and tried to fight to get housing on the island. Yes, that was I could imagine that.
Speaker 2: That was really good.
Speaker 3: And like the four wheelers, like them, like going around the site and like, yeah, me and Jaw Ruler just like hanging out of four wheelers in the sand man. It was just tons of nonsense. Well what was your favorite part? Now? What was your second favorite part?
Speaker 2: My second favorite part, like you said, the sandwiches, I like the maybe I think that was my first the pictures of the sandwiches, prison food. The second favorite part, I think is jaw rules involvement.
Speaker 3: Yes, how do you deny the jaw rules? So good?
Speaker 2: It wasn't the first time and it wasn't the last that a festival went sideways. I have hand picked three other failed festivals for you today. Really yeah. Rude Dude Rose from Instagram suggested a couple of these. She's a font of ridiculousness general awesomeness, so hats off to her. For the hot tip. Thank you Rose that said I would like to start in a city I love.
Speaker 3: Is this rude dude Rose who sent me the pennies? Yes, Oh my goodness, the very same hero friend of the show. I've enjoyed those so much. He sent them like with their own little seals, like they each had like a cardboard backing. It was amazing, incredible.
Speaker 2: Solid rude dude right there. So I'm going to start in a city that I love. I used to live there, Glasgow, Scotland.
Speaker 3: Oh you do love that? I do love God, I I can barely pronounce it. You love it, I do.
Speaker 2: So I'm eager to go back and visit. It's been too long.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we should do like a rude dude trip.
Speaker 2: We should do a live episode. There's a great art scene there, I mean, like Glasgow School of Art is like a serious powerhouse like many other former industrial cities, though there's a place for artists. They aren't priced out just yet, although it gets more and more expensive all the time, does it. But then they add to the character of the city, and then there's like the humor and the personality of the city. So you obviously can't paint the people of a place with too broad a brush. But the culture of Scotland and Glasgow in particular is terribly funny and sharp. There's amazing wordplay, playful insults, and at the same time, really there's all this warmth and camaraderie.
Speaker 3: Its kind of like a Philadelphia of Scotland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm just and even just Scotland writ large is kind of like this. There's the love the underdog. But yeah, it is like that. I always say that Glasgow is the Oakland to Edinburgh's Cisco. Okay, there's gallows humor, like this dark, self depreciating wit. We saw it when the Tartan Army came to the States. Everyone fell in love with them.
Speaker 3: Aren't They also the ones who like shout stuff at you and you're wearing like a I don't know, like a funny hat or like I tried wearing.
Speaker 2: Well, there's that one Twitter famous Twitter threat of all the Irish insults trench coat and was like, oh how you doing, inspector gadget like they can take the wind out of But the Scots are the same similar. Yeah, they take the piss, as they say, sometimes self directed when something is deserving of mockery. They have like perfected the dog pile, you know, like riffing, like they say, you know them in the Irish so they can just unload hilarious insult after hilarious insult.
Speaker 3: They have great Is there like a Celtic sense of humor?
Speaker 2: I think so? Yeah, And there's great kind of random insult names like yeah absolute cabbage. It's just amazing. So it's in Glasgow that we begin today. I want to tell you all about something called Willy's Chocolate Experience chocolate also known as the Glasgow Wonka Disaster.
Speaker 3: Oh Willy Wonka.
Speaker 2: Wonka, Willy's Chocolate Experience, which by the way, was spelled Willy's Choclate like c h O c l ate Experience on the on the official.
Speaker 3: Website Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate. Is that for like legal reasons?
Speaker 2: No, it was this unlicensed, supposed immersive all ages event that was going to be at the box Hub warehouse in Glasgow February twenty twenty four. The whole thing was the creation of a guy named Billy Cool, Billy c o U L L Cool and his company House of Illuminati. Oh yeah, so right there, like.
Speaker 3: Edgy, Yeah, we were talking serious like Red.
Speaker 2: So it was clearly designed to ride the wave of the recent Wonka film at the.
Speaker 3: Time, Oh the Timothy Shall yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Tim Ota, but it had no affiliation with the roll Doll estate or the movies, and that brings up licensing issues off brand. Yeah. So to get around this, the event's chocolate heer was named Willie McDuff and he was assisted by green haired Walka Doodles. So the villain was called the Unknown and was an evil chocolate maker who lived in the factory walls.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, like one person, not like a spirit.
Speaker 2: It's just the Unknown. We don't know factory okay. So this is all supposed to go down on the weekend of February twenty fourth and twenty fifth in twenty twenty four, and the promotional materials went hard. They were supposed to be like a laborate sets inspired by roll Doll's story and treats scattered throughout like fun. Yes, and the ticket prices were up to like thirty five pounds of person.
Speaker 3: So it's supposed to be like Willie Wanka's chocolate factory.
Speaker 2: You walk in and that's exactly where we are. And as I said, it's immersive like you feel like you're there. And what made the marketing instantly notorious was that both the website and the ads were built from low quality AI generated images that were just riddled with like garbled pseudo words instead of catchy tunes car chie tons, instead of a paradise of sweet treats that said a pacea dice of sweet teats.
Speaker 3: So nobody looked at anything.
Speaker 2: No, and then some of the print cat gased it, cat gag caading, Yeah, exercis dre supposed to be, they don't know. So you know, there's a restaurant storefront next to my brothers bar. It's a burger joint that's going to go in there, and they have a sign in the window advertising it's a very AI poster, you know the look, and someone graffitied over the window your AI slop. And this cracked my brother up. And now every time I see AI R, that's all I think about. That's just the phrase in my head. So anyway, even before opening day of the Chalclate experience, a Reddit user who saw the Facebook ads flag the event as a likely scam, and they were amazed that people were buying tickets in the first place, like look at this AI slop. Rolling Stone later figured.
Speaker 3: It amilies right, rave community.
Speaker 2: Thirty five quid. Oh wow, so you know you got kids.
Speaker 3: It's racks up middle family minimum.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Rolling Stone figured that the House of Illuminati's websites and event copy they you know, they they're like, okay, it's an AI chat wrote the whole thing, and then as a result, a town in South Dakota no longer has water. Fun fact, so the organizer's background was like red Flag City. Cool had previously been involved with a charity that was forced in twenty twenty one to remove false advertising for a gala that it was throwing because they were claiming that this TV personality Gakwan was going to be making an appearance. He's this really interesting brit who does like fashion consulting, writes books, host TV shows, just a general personality. He had absolutely nothing to do with the gala, but they were putting his name all over the place images and they're like, no, okaypelled correctly, Yeah, yeah, it spelled correctly at least if the guy also cool. He also claimed a doctorate from a fake metaphysical university.
Speaker 3: He also claimed that if you attended the gala, you signed away body.
Speaker 2: Parts exactly twenty twenty three. He self published seventeen books, seventeen all of them AI generated all of them, and some of them were like pushing vaccine conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, yeah, great, God. So this guy Max, he hadn't read his book.
Speaker 2: No whatever, just whatever's hot in the moment. This guy Max Waterfield, he was operations manager maybe still is, of box Hub. The venue, he said, House of Illuminati, gave these really detailed plans starting in February for this big family friendly event. It sounded great on paper, sure, and so the venue rented the space but had no role in the production, like he keeps emphasizing, we had nothing to do with that, like whew, And.
Speaker 3: Charlotte has always good at front loading something.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. And that brings us to opening day, February twenty fourth, twenty twenty four. So ticket holders they come in, they find this sparse scattering of props in a grungy warehousehouse. Yeah, there were like a handful of dioramas with parade float style lollipops and candy canes like shake front yard Christmas decorations. The quote unquote factory was basically a glass chemistry set on a table. There was one table. There was a single bouncy castle, so you know the noise of that too. There were supposed to be rivers of lemonade, and they were actually half filled plastic cups of store bought lemonade on a table that was the river of lemonade.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even a continuous flow. It was just like, look, there's one and another cup and another, and I know.
Speaker 2: What you're thinking, like there had to be amazing chocolate, though right there was amazing. There was essentially no chocolate at the chocolate experience. Kids got a couple of jelly beans and a small drink at.
Speaker 3: The apples not packets.
Speaker 2: Individuals warm from the hand. One account noted that organizers had to rush out and buy a microwave because this small chocolate fountain that they brought didn't actually melt the chocolate.
Speaker 3: So they's had chunks of chocolate sitting and should be found clogged up like he just crumbled like Hershey's bars just on top of them.
Speaker 2: What would be a chocolate There was supposed to be a forty five minute The whole thing was gonna be like a forty five minute to hour long immersive experience, and then they came outside. They're like, it took us two minutes to walk through this thing. There's nothing to see, there's nothing to One person described it as quote absolute shambles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it seems like it's the most not only embarrassing but depressing thing. It could come and bring their children to.
Speaker 2: Well, and the actor's experience became a story in itself.
Speaker 3: This Oh my god, there's actors. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Comedian Paul Connell, he was hired to play the Wonka figure Willie McDuff. He said he got this last minute script that was just fifteen pages of AI generated gibberish that he was supposed to model.
Speaker 3: To memorize and to say at random times.
Speaker 2: And then he looked around he saw no chocolate fountain anywhere, which I feel like is how Travis Kelsey felt at his wedding reception. Where's where's the chocolate? Connle quit conna quit mid event along with some of the phony OUPLUMPA performers. Oh yeah, He's like, I'm out of here. So the events, like supposed dramatic climax, featured the unknown and this like mysterious malevolent force was played by Felicia Dawkins, a sixteen year old schoolgirl. I don't know. She popped out from behind a mirror in a silver mask to frighten children and then that was it. She's like okay, and so she, like Rolling Stone, published a piece called Justice for the Unknown. So by mid morning, kids are crying, parents are furious. Police Scotland get called and officers showed up after the event had been canceled because they just had to call it off. Yeah, but they said, you know, this is a civil matter. We can't recover your money from that. After they stopped laughing, the event manager Waterfield he said, like, families start showing up, you know, And there was immediately a problem right away. They're irritated. It was supposed to go all all weekend long.
Speaker 3: I have a big empty warehouse with like five tables with some jelly beans on them and cups of lemon.
Speaker 2: It was supposed to go all week long, all weekend long, but it got shut down that more than hours of Yeah, and then photos from the thing went viral. There's like the contrast between this lush Ai promotional art and then the barren warehouse.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 2: And the most iconic image was the photo of actress Kirsty Patterson in a green wig and oompahloomp a costume. She's like the Mona Lisa of twenty twenty four. So let's take it in. We're gonna put the picture on Instagram otherwise google it. It's worth it. But here's my description of it, my takedown, my dogpile. We have a woman being paid allegedly to guard a table that answers the question what if a Victorian pharmacy and a middle school science fair had a custody battle over some jelly beans. Oh, and then the fog machine is doing the heaviest lifting of anyone on the payroll. It's working double shifts, trying to obscure the fact that the factory walls are garbage bags stapled.
Speaker 3: To a warehouse garbage bags.
Speaker 2: There's a strip of hazard tape in the corner that is a set dressing choice that says immersive and also forklift. And then there's her face, right, it's not this expression, it's her resignation letter. The thousand yard stare of someone who is just handed fifteen pages of AI gibberish the night before and realize the script the posters probably her contract all written by Grock.
Speaker 3: This is like probably one of her first acting gigs professionally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was very excited. I say I have a degree, Like it's so bummer, and then her white gloves say, I will be sanitizing this memory later. So she's like looking through everything. The best part is like she's the most professional thing in the frame. Like the set, the pacide of sweet Teats, you know, it's just diculous. So the organizer is like, there are technical issues. This was our problem. They're technical issues. Someone plug well and some of the attendees compared the set dressing to a meth lab. A Facebook group called House of Illuminati Scam gathered around like three thousand members within a few days. The event was globally dubbed a fire festival for kids.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: A House of Illuminatis posted that it had been let down to the last minute in many areas and like, in hindsight, they should have canceled that morning. Rather than pushing on cool, he did a bunch of personal statements. He told STV news that he was so sorry, blamed technical issues.
Speaker 3: Technical yeah.
Speaker 2: He later posted on Facebook that all eight hundred and fifty tickets would be refunded and with screenshots, offered his proof. He then, like March thirteenth, he posts again saying, Okay, some of you guys are still waiting for refunds. Some of you you know, received them. The actors not paid. They were supposed to get five hundred pounds apiece, and then all of a sudden, the House of Illuminati went, event websites gone, and he.
Speaker 3: Said, like guest certificates to the next Illuminati event.
Speaker 2: Well, then everyone goes after him certificate interviews. He did an interview for Channel five documentary Wonka, the scandal that rocked Britain. He said he lost friends.
Speaker 3: And his partner and he was a romantic partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his romantic partner. You've been cast as the face of all evil. Had received hundreds of messages, including ones telling him to end himself. The documentary itself got bad reviews.
Speaker 3: And so they well made.
Speaker 2: Guardian gave it two stars.
Speaker 5: Yeahmentary documentaries, oh god.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so the strangest legacy is like how kindly it treated the performers. So Felicia Dawkins, she gets invited to train and make guest appearances at the London Dungeon.
Speaker 3: And then so people in real communities reached out to them.
Speaker 2: You've got heart, like this spokesperson is like she has a natural talent for scaring people. Kirsty Patterson. She became a minor celebrity in she appeared at the unaffiliated Willie's Chocolate Experience, LA cocktail evening that was staged in Los Angeles by a bunch of artists. Okay, the props found in Afterlife backdrops were rescued from the garbage and auctioned on eBay by this Glasgow record shop, Monorail Music, and they raised two thousand pounds for Palestinian Aid. Yeah, so bright Spot, crappy event. Let's take a break and we come back. More festival failures. Zara from Elizabeth, I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: I love questions. I don't love answers.
Speaker 2: I love question questions. I hate answers love questions. Do you watch Bridgerton?
Speaker 3: Is that a show?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one with the regency period?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah No, No, me neither. For those unaware like I Bridgerton. Netflix period drama series first came out December twenty twenty. It's based on Julia Quinn's series of romance novels Ah and it's produced by Shondaland a Shonda Rhyme's production company. That's one of Netflix's biggest hits ever.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's very enjoyable. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It follows the eight Bridgerton siblings, an aristocratic family in regency era London. It's like early eighteen hundreds as each of them navigates high society's marriage market or the ton in search of life.
Speaker 3: I've heard of this stuff. Now. None of this is my interests. Like, it's not a world I want to hang out in. So nothing against the show. It sounds fantastic, it's not for me. It's like Downton Abbey. I'm like, right, I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's just not for me. But you know what, God bless Each season centers on a different siblings romance. We got some serious names here. I'm talking Daphne Bridgerton, Colin and Penelope Featherington Lady Whistledown kidding, I'm not kidding you. So being named Diamond of the season is like the Queen's pick for the most promising debutante a.
Speaker 3: Royal watcher invented, you know what I mean? Like the people who you know who have like a Princess Diana Plate.
Speaker 2: And who have like strong opinions about Megan Markle. Yes, yeah, so you want to be named Diamond of the season.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: That's I want that. The Queen's like you're the most promising.
Speaker 3: It's it's like the coming out ball, the hottest tailor.
Speaker 2: What made Bridgerton distinctive is like it's this lush, escapist, fantasy version of the regency period.
Speaker 3: Oh it's not sexy, it's more like like charming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just like there's diverse casting in like aristocratic roles, extravagant pastel costumes, ball gowns. They do like string quartet covers of modern pop songs like Sophia. There are candlelight balls and then yeah there's steamy romance. There's the hubba hubbu oh is that apparently sounds fun from what I understand, Like consider your bodice ripped son. So that aesthetic like the gowns, the stream covers, the candlelight ballroom is exactly what drew fans to the Detroit Bridgerton themed ball, Yeah, or what I like to call regency dreams dollar store reality. So the Detroit Bridgerton themed ball, which is right there right no, I mean I love Detroit.
Speaker 3: I love exactly. I'm like, I feel Detroit has become like a punchline like Chicago. You hear it, You're like, oh no.
Speaker 2: It took place on the evening of September twenty second, twenty twenty four, at the Harmony Club in downtown Detroit, and it was organized by Uncle and me LLC. Also Uncle me LLC is another.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a company that puts up signs in the hood we buy homes could be And later.
Speaker 2: They later renamed themselves u M Event Management LLC. And the company is co owned by a woman, Chelsea Beard. So while the event, yeah, exactly and unk is not revealed. While the event like traded on this you know, popularity of Bridgerton, it was not a Netflix sponsored event, And that's a distinction that's very important because Netflix does its own touring Queen's Ball, a Bridgerton experience apparently, yeah get I know. So the marketing promised like the full fantasy, sophistication, grace, like historical charm. They're saying, dancing, live entertainment, exquisite refreshments, enchanting surprises. Can I bring a lap museum quality treats, museum. No, I don't know who said that. I have a friend who describes things that are that. She really likes this museum quality and phrase. So they said live music from a full orchestra, dance lessons, photo opportunities, a fashion show, a two thousand dollars cash prize for the best dress guest, and they're going to be called Diamond of the season, like a show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a big staff to pull this off.
Speaker 2: Tickets started at one hundred and fifty bucks and went up to one thousand. What Yeah, and there's like the top tier Duke and Duchess package, like they said there would be valet service, dinner, music, all. All of this is on their sparse two page website. So fans invested heavily beyond the tickets. Right, there's one attendee, Tamisha Bland. She spent five hundred dollars on tickets, plus another two hundred and sixty on this glittery blue strapless gown. Others were like, yeah, I spent three to four hundred dollars on tickets. Then the gowns, hair suits, it's like grown pops. Yeah, everything, and then if.
Speaker 3: You're going to step into your fantasy you want to show up with the right footwell.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. There were warning signs, so like uncle and me had run earlier Bridgerton themed events, warned there was one at the Tailor Conservatory and Botanical Gardens that left, you know, most people disappointed. And they threw a June tea party where guests reported there was no tea at all and that the mimosas and glassware ran out.
Speaker 3: And so they're going to keep trying, just keep trying.
Speaker 2: Keep on keeping on it. Yeah, so things were like unraveling at the front door. No one was working the front door. People came, No one's checking it. They're just strolling in. Yeah yeah, so okay, so Zarin close eye, I want should have pictured. You are a huge Bridgerton fan, like huge, You've read the books, You've seen every episode multiple times. You are a regular on the Bridgerton sub rendit. You've been to Queen's Ball, a Bridgerton experience. It was magical and you loved it. When you heard about the Detroit Bridgerton Theme Ball, you were excited. Your grandma stitched up an incredible gown for you to wear to the Queen's Ball. You felt like a princess. So you got your cousin to rent a tucks and go with you, and you've convinced him to do it once again. The world is rough right now, and you love escapism. You need escapism. You and your cousin drove an hour and a half to get to the Harmony Club, and it does not disappoint. It's across the street from the opera house, which seems fitting, and the building itself is stunning buff brick and stone, with curved corners and arched windows. It feels exactly like something from the TV show. Your cousin drops you off in front of the men to wait while he goes to park the car. Other guests of the ball arrive in all their finery. You greet each other with nods and occasional squeals of excitement. A city bus stops in traffic in front of the building and the driver opens up their door. She calls out to you that everyone looks so beautiful. You thank her. She asks if this is a kintanera. The light changes and she drives off before you can answer. You brush a tendril of hair from the side of your face and then straighten your opera lengths satin gloves. You scan the sidewalk for your cousin. Soon enough, he comes jogging up, apologizing for taking so long. You tell him not to be sorry. You're just thankfully he's with you, and it is so polite as to not make you hobble for blocks in these heels. The two of you enter the Harmony Club, ready for the night of your lives. You pull your tickets from your satin clutch, but there's no one there to take them. You look around, perplexed. Other guests arriving are just as confused. You shrug at each other and make your way into the entryway. It's a little sparse. If you're honest, expected luxurious delights, This looks more like someone ran to a Dollar General to get some quick decorations for a shotgun wedding. In the atrium, folks dressed in their regency air of finess, chat and laugh, a frison of excitement shimmering in the air. A lone violinist stands in the corner, playing a version of what you think might be Seline Dion's It's All Coming Back to Me, Or maybe it's another song you can't quite tell. They're supposed to be an.
Speaker 3: Orchestra in the ballroom.
Speaker 2: You stream to listen, but you can't hear them yet. They're probably warming up, just calming their nerves before they perform at such an important event. At least that's what you'd be doing at last. The doors to the ballroom open. Eight foot round tables with chairs ring the room. What appeared to be plastic plates and plastic utensils sit on the sparkling gold tablecloths. Bottles of water dot the tables. You and your cousin find a seat. You're handed plates of food from a frazzled server. You poke at the chicken, which does not seem fully cooked. Your cousin's snow the beans on his plate and declares they smell like fish. You both push your plates away. Others at the table do the same. On the other side of the room, guests take turns posing for photos in two velvet thrones, a piece of crushed velvet on the floor in front of them, hoping to look like a plush rug and failure. There is no orchestra, and you aren't sure how they'll fit in here. When they arrive, there's a pole in the middle of the area where they would be set up. If you didn't know any better, you'd think it was a stripper pole, but that would be ridiculous. A small sign with the words Tink the Ferry, stenciled in pink sparkles on it sits beside the pole's platform. You hear one of the songs from the Bridgerton's soundtrack began to play on the sound system. People in the crowd begin to clap and cheer. Something wonderful must be about to happen. Then a woman in a skimpy red bikini struts onto the floor and stands beside the pole. She looks at the crowd a little perplexed. The sharp strings of the Bridgerton song echo through the sparsely decorated room. Then she grabs onto the pole and begins spin around it. She then hoists herself up, flipping upside down and spinning around the pole, supported only by her legs. She is indeed a pole. Answer, this is just getting weirder and weirder. You look around at everyone in their regency finery, politely clapping and smiling, and this dancer in her bikini and long tight braid running down her back. This is not the ball You imagined it would be Oh my god, sar. They hired a pole answer for the bridges.
Speaker 3: To ball teens to step into family.
Speaker 2: She's she's one of the Knight's only sympathetic professionals. She's a woman from Oakland, California, who calls herself Tank the Fairy, And she said she was hired three hours before the event began, and she gave the organizers more thematically appropriate options because like she does like aerial sling work and like a hoop and hair suspension she'll hang from her hair, so like these kind of like a circus, yes, where you could see and and also she had all these different outfits. No, they chose the pole dancing and selected her outfit. They asked for the red bikini.
Speaker 3: Unk and me, I'm with your imagined bus driver. I was so rooting for these people to go in. I don't even know Bridgerton, but I know what they're looking for. I at least I have fun, yeah, And I want them to be able to have these moments of whimsy and fantasy and fun and like to get away and like to take their cousin or whatever, and like no, and you're taking that for granted.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so take right. They paid her eight hundred dollars for three sets that included two songs from the Bridgerton soundtrack and for the finale, Maroon Five's moves like Jagger.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not kidding you. They asked her to do character work between performances, and I'm not really sure what that means.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think she knew, she said. The organizers seemed super professional on the phone. She felt really bad for the Yeah, she really didn't know what she was going in to perform. Yeah, she said in interviews and in a Reddit Ask Me anything, that her goal as a performer is to just bring people happiness.
Speaker 3: Of course, so that's what most entertainers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: None of the people the ball blamed her. They were just glad that she at least got paid. But no one could figure out why she was hired in the first.
Speaker 3: Place, nor could she. I'm just assuming it or anybody else.
Speaker 2: Noone even trade for an orchestra.
Speaker 3: No or even like thematically anywhere near what you'd think, like if you're going through like a list of like who can I quickly call and get them to come? Not going to come up with that I probably come up with like a Vegas magician before I come up with that exotic dancer.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. So within a day, the ball was a national story. One attendee, Rachel Eaton, she spent three hundred bucks and she shared photos of like guests and gowns slumped in chairs, scrolling on their phones out of boredom. Her posts went like hugely viral on Twitter. People love a debacle, good Morning America. Not there, I know exactly, Hollywood reporter or Salon, BuzzFeed, all these others suspects. They reported on it and then compared it to Fire Festival and Willie's chocolate experience in Glasgow.
Speaker 3: I'm sure t was all about it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So then attendees organized quickly this Facebook group called Bridgeton Ball Scam Detroit. They formed to coordinate a possible class action lawsuit. Good luck right. Several members said that they had filed fraud reports with the Detroit Police previous events. Yeah. One attendee said she filed a fraud report and disputed the charge with American Express.
Speaker 3: Good for the tickets?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Uncle and Me Productions released a statement to WXYZTV.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I've quoted them. A few times, Detroit's.
Speaker 2: Own apologizing that not everyone had the experience they hoped for, and they said the intention had been a magical evening. They accepted full responsibility for what they called organizational shortcomings, and they promised to review resolution options. And then Chelsea Beard, the co owner, she basically reposted the same thing on Instagram and then added that the problems stemmed from a last minute venue and date change and non refundable deposits from the original bookings that caused losses for the company. Harmony Club is like, we have nothing. They're just like box Hub in Glasgow. They're like, I have nothing to do with this. We're not affiliated. We just rent the space company's website. Yeah, they're vanished from the interwebs. So we have another failed festival in the books. Let's pause for some ads, and when we return, I have one more flop fiesta for you, Aaron. I want you to prepare yourself for the fire Festival of book Talk. Oh, I'm talking about the A Million Lives book Festival.
Speaker 3: I've got family who are into book talk. I've gone to events like y'all West, These are like real big in the book talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, book Talk is basically for people the uninitiated. It's people talking about books on TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yah yah and really heavy in the ya.
Speaker 2: Yes, young adult, young adult. Yeah, they have their own ecosystem and trends and gossip and hierarchy.
Speaker 3: You want to get arcs, those are the advanced reader copies. Yeah, I'm all about this life.
Speaker 2: So the A Million Lives Book Festival was scheduled for May second and third, twenty twenty five, at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, Maryland. It was organized through the company Archer Management, by an event planner and romance author who operated publicly under the pen name Grace Willows and then she had other kind of like pseudonyms, but that's how everyone knew her.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Vent was aimed at the romanticy community. So these are readers of romantic fantasy fiction who hang out on book talk. The marketing was super ambitious. There were promotional materials that promised a vendor hall with authors from like fantasy romance, mystery, dark romance, just like here whatever, yeah, other kins.
Speaker 3: That's like the fantasy creatures. Okay, you know, so you get them in their romances too. Oh so like unicorns, Yeah, centaurs, unicorns.
Speaker 2: That kind of okay, I'm learning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's like, you know, like half human, half horse that kind of stuff, not like a unicorner got it, got it.
Speaker 2: So they're kind of like free, adjacent.
Speaker 3: Very. I didn't want to scare you.
Speaker 2: It's not for me, and that's okay. Yeah, that's OKAYI the interns or my therapist, it's not for me, and that's okay. God bless see. That's my mantra. Now, there was supposed to be panels, like a content creation room, so I'm imagining like you know, to make your own tiktoks and like a back a community building atmosphere for bookworms and book dragons is what they said, bookworms and book dragons alike. The published schedule sounds like it was written as part of a State Department project to develop more insidious torture techniques aimed at me and me alone. That's just my observation. But you know what, it's not for me, and that's okay. Specific to torture me, thanks a lot State Department. There was registration, which is fine and necessary, and then okay, and then it had like the vendor hall hours that's to be expected. And then they promised a cause play competition taking a deep breath. Done, well, we're ramping it up, like the the entire is turning up the big whatever. This is for me, Elizabeth. Some things are not for you, and that's a There was going to be a scheduled performance by the Bookish Song Collective.
Speaker 3: Is that a real thing?
Speaker 2: Be strong? Then you can do this, yeah, the Bookish Song Collective. You don't have to go to this and not everything is for you. Let folks have their safe spaces. Okay, I'm back.
Speaker 3: The whole time.
Speaker 2: The whole thing was set to culminate in a quote lavender romance ball that was going to run from seven to eleven pm.
Speaker 3: Oh, like an actual ball, like dancing, Yeah, much like the Bridgerton Sure so.
Speaker 2: Ticket teers range from like forty dollars to two hundred and fifty dollars and the ball was like a formal, decorated fantasy gala. I'm sure that what is the other kid?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The oh yeah, and so unlike this is really.
Speaker 3: What you want for the like if you're one of these crowd, it's like to be able to go and like step into your fan I have to say you get all dolled up. I mean you've been to like con events where people get dressed up, but I know what they are, Okay, they go like all out. I mean like some people have stuff like sword costs thousands of dollars. You know, it's like incredible. I really like it will defend all of these people, because I want people to be able to not like live in your imagination and some kind of like detrimental like I'm hiding from the world now, but if you're able to find a communities and can do the escapism and then you can spend the time to really doll yourself up in some costume. I love that. I'm like dude, and I love and to cheat people like that as a charlatan.
Speaker 2: And I love when things make people so happy. So as much as I bag on like furries, the ones I still can't stand, the ones who trash hotels and all that, that's different, but the ones where it just makes it if it gives them you so much joy to.
Speaker 3: Pin a tail on you some ears, Yeah, exactly, go out get a whole first suit, no nuts, you know.
Speaker 2: I yeah, So who am I? Who am I to say? Unlike the glassy Willy Wonka fellow. The organizer here had some credibility going in. She had this other yeah, a night in Tarysen Okay, okay in twenty twenty four, like that got a lot of positive reviews. So this was like, oh, this will be smooth sailing. So she recruits these authors, narrators, vendors personally, largely by word of mouth. Roughly one hundred and fifty authors were listed as attending and independent authors paid to participate. So one author, Percy J. Paid one hundred and fifty dollars for a table in February of twenty twenty four, and then another two hundred and fifty dollars for top tier sponsorship, advertised to include a free stay at the Hilton adjacent to the venue, social media promotion, merch, other perks, and when you think about potential direct sales and promotion and like profile lift, that's not a bad deal.
Speaker 5: I get a table in front of like you're ready fans, I mean the ideal. It's directed creator exactly. So like cracks appeared before anyone even arrived at Baltimom. About two weeks out, the organizer emailed authors saying that the Hilton representative wasn't responding, and that the group would instead be lodged across the street.
Speaker 2: At a day's in. Like that's a big down grade, and the rooms weren't camped, not.
Speaker 3: Quite the red roof, but it did not go Yeah, the days are better than a red roof.
Speaker 2: But still and like they thought they were getting comped rooms, they got to pay to stay at a day's in.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the organizer continued projecting like healthy sales, she said, ticket sales, Like in January twenty twenty five, she's like, oh, we're in the high four hundreds for tickets, and then April, oh, we're like in the low six hundreds. And like a bunch of attendees said they were told five hundred and six hundred tickets had been sold. One vendor said correspondence cited an expectation of twelve hundred attendees and that was the only reason they paid for a table. Of course, May second Friday, it started badly and it never recovered. So authors and vendors showed up at seven am for a load in and found no exterior signage. There was a single sign inside the building to say where it was what it was no event staff or volunteers. There as a seven am load.
Speaker 3: In like a day's in like multipurpose room.
Speaker 2: No, this is at the convention center. So it's like a portion of it. Yeah, but you know it's like that, it's not taking up the entire thing. So there's you know, maybe other stuff.
Speaker 3: I pushed out of the convention center.
Speaker 2: No, and so the people who were there, like they had to go find people who worked at the convention center to like show us where the rooms are, yeah, exactly, And then they found there had been like last minute floor plan changes that were given to them on a hand drawn map.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the original booth layout had to be rearranged on the spot to satisfy fire code. The whole thing is just a mess. The exhibit hall was cavernous and like pretty much empty of decorations and people. So the decor was basically like scattered pink flower pedals on tables about it. One attending author, Stephanie Combs described quote a ginormous dungeon of a room and like maybe fifty people in there. She brought eight boxes of books to sell and left with six still full panels. Not doing much better. There was no sound or audio visual equipment, no announcements. Some rooms didn't even have tables or chairs. One panel of audiobook narrators was held with panelists in the audience sitting on the floor of a vacant room, just one they had to find. There was a BIPOK panel and writing talking about writing diversity. They were scheduled on the VIP only day and that really limited the audience. Author Carmen Ciantel moderated one of the sessions. She posted photos of people just sitting on the floor or there were no printed or digital schedules, unmarked.
Speaker 3: Rooms, sure, no signage, nobody there to help anybody or where you are.
Speaker 2: Some people were just wandering by accident into unrelated events that were also at the convention center, including a cannabis festival.
Speaker 3: Oh god, you got just like dudes and women and like beanies coming in, like can I vapor in here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then you have all these like really sincere, precious people. People you want to talk about, dragons getting it on with each other and they're just yeah. The lavender ball on Saturday was like the defining image, very sparsely decorated space, bright overhead lights, and it looked more like a warehouse. It was very Glasgow, no DJ setup, just a tiny crowd. So there's a boom box in a corner. Yeah, they're saying that for both days it was probably one hundred people.
Speaker 3: This is worse than a bunch of what a high schoolers could put on it.
Speaker 2: Think you know what I mean? This is like yes, So by such, the festival was like a full blown social media phenomenon. So like the authors, Okay, here's where you messed up. Right, here are all these book talk folks. So they got it prepared to post tiktoks.
Speaker 3: To make the old.
Speaker 2: Tictac old people.
Speaker 3: They're going to be where they're gonna be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're posting real time videos that are going viral. Yeah, that author Percy j got over five million views, and everyone starts calling it the fire Festival of book Talk.
Speaker 3: And then her you know, the watergate of these things.
Speaker 2: Oh, it totally is so. And then again with Percy Jay. You know, she was pregnant with twins and she had flown from Texas, spent more than two thousand dollars on flights, fees, food, and she's just like, I was completely misled. All these others they had shipped stuff to Baltimore. They're thousands of dollars in debt because of that, and they want re fun because usually these events.
Speaker 3: I've been like I said, I've been to a bunch. They're really well run.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've been to a ton of festivals to just general ones like La Times Festival of Books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one's run back toory by like librarians and insider.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been wonder if it's just like volunteers who are part of the community. They that goes to it and you cannot overlook any.
Speaker 2: Part of it exactly. So the organizer responded with a video apology because that's all we do now is make videos to the Archer Fantasy Events TikTok account.
Speaker 3: I like when people did like the notes app apologies, those are.
Speaker 2: The point better times. So she was like, yeah, you know what, it was not set up to standards. There are a lot of problems with the setup. She offered immediate refunds to anyone who reached out, and then they said that you know, all payments are going to be processed by May thirty.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they did took full responsibility.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and said, we're canceling all future of that fund.
Speaker 3: By the way, these days for people to say I take more responsibility, I heartily apologize I messed up.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: I do think that everyone was probably refunded just because she went so hard on like clearing the decks, making sure this wasn't going to happen again. She maintained that she made no money on the event, and she personally put thousands of dollars into it, and so she said, you know, the offered compensation didn't cover everything like that two hundred and fifty dollars marketing sponsor. So people couldn't get one hundred percent hole on this.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know, was it actually like you know, I think it's just maybe it was just too big, like had be able to pull.
Speaker 3: It went from like we had one successful one too, what if we did the biggest event of the year.
Speaker 2: Well, and then it's also it's just like once one thing fails, then it's like it triggers a bunch of other stuff. Yeah, the convention center is like not our problem, of course. And then because there were also claims that the venue had lost swag backs and like food and stuff and They're like, no, we got no reports of missing boxes. You know this you do with us, We're the Baltimore Convention Center.
Speaker 3: We opened the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like two threads kind of stood out in the aftermath, Virtually everyone agreed that the authors and the vendors themselves were the one bright spot. And then Gus said that, like the exhibit hall was welcoming and engaging because of the creators, not the organizers, that they overcame this situation. Book talk rallied around the affected indie authors. Fundraising pages were created to help them become whole from the debt for flights, hotels. Yeah, and then a lot of them reported spikes and book sales driven by this like viral sympathy. So there's that. And then second, the disaster spawned a constructive sequel. Maryland vendors Amber and Matt Hodgson of Bookish Signs and more. They lost money at this thing. They announced that they were organizing their own festiv Romanticy in the Valley July twenty fifth, twenty twenty sixth, and it is explicitly designed to prevent a repeat and to support the authors and vendors burned by a million.
Speaker 3: Well that's coming up. Yeah, should I get us tickets?
Speaker 2: Yes, you go right ahead, and you tell me all about it.
Speaker 3: Be strong done.
Speaker 2: So there's a bright spot in all of this. It's galvanized the community. Zaren. What's your takeaway? What's your ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 3: And every one of these I was fighting because you know, I can have like an anger or a temper, and I was getting so mad for these, like because these people they just want to like almost every single time, they're like, they're these little communities. They just want to get together and do their thing, and they're not usually a cater to and attended to by mainstream cultures. So it's like, oh, we'd like to go and do our bridget infester, Like are our book romanticy thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then they had they could take an advantage of. And I'm just over here seething like a big brother and somebody picked on my little sibling, and I'm like, what's their ad? We're going over the house. I'm going to take whatever I can from the living room. I mean, like, I'm getting furious. So I guess I'm a silly creature because as like a like a big brother, this is just how my head works. But like, I really hope that these folks, and I'm so glad by the way you told me about how they were able to get you know, get whole and then they were able to like support these authors and now they got a new festival. So I do like the resiliency of these kids and these young authors and these creators. I mean, so I'm like, I got all your back. Kids say yeah, this is amazing, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: I you know, I am terribly jaded, and I am envious of these people because they're not jaded. The people who find such joy in these you know, like these kind of events and community in the community. You know, they're not they don't very trusting each other exactly, and there's a there's a really sweet sincerity to it. And so I was thinking when I was putting this all together, my mom sent me this video of a British train spotting kid who came over to the US to see Big Boy, so like huge, like the biggest engine as it's made for the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the independence for the United States. It's making its way across the US, and he took a video of like when he's seeing it.
Speaker 3: He flew over here to see it, to see it on tricks and she was.
Speaker 2: Like I Her only comment when she forwarded to me is like, I wish this kind of joy on every person. And that's what like, this kid was so happy and so excited and it meant so much to him, and it's like, that's what you want. And these people were seeking out those moments of joy to be fully immersed, to become something totally different and of their own making.
Speaker 3: I also saw some of a friend of mine posted about that exact thing on Instagram and they said, this must have been so world changing for this kid because I've never ever seen him cuss before.
Speaker 2: Exactly when you put when you take someone that far outside of themselves, see, I'm all these people they wanted to dress up and have a fantasy and escape, and this world is so worth escaping these days. So it's like, if you can find that and like you're saying, having a community and have these people take advantage of it, or just through incompetence, it falls upon.
Speaker 3: Either one as Charlotteans or as incompetence who don't take for like, take for granted what it will mean for how many people and what it takes to do and pull off something right exactly.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad that we had a couple of bright spots.
Speaker 3: In that totally. I'm glad the community are so and I hope.
Speaker 2: Everyone has like something that gives them that kind of joy. We all need to have like one or two things at the minimum that just you can fully immerse yourself in and it gives you complete joy. So that said, I think I would like to talk back day.
Speaker 3: Oh oh my god, I.
Speaker 6: Want hey's Aaron and Elizabeth. I just finished your episode on pigeon racing and theft. I actually work for my local humane society, and you'd be surprised how many of these pigeons are champions. In fact, they're exhausted. I know this because the residents bring us these pigeons after they find them in the shade or they wander into the garage.
Speaker 2: Just simply not wanting to finish the race.
Speaker 6: Then we have to call their owner. I personally think that is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I love that first of all, you do the lord's work and thank you for that, like you're amazing is this?
Speaker 3: But Beatrice, I found your pigeons.
Speaker 2: Don't have agency in this, like you know you got to society for thank you, thank you for rescuing the pigeons in the shade. Well at least they also, I guess they do have the agency to be like I'm not going to.
Speaker 3: I ain't no more flat flat for this.
Speaker 2: Ah. That's it for today. You can find us online at ridiculous Crime dot com. We're also at Ridiculous Crime on Blue Sky on ins Graham. You can email us at ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com and please please please leave a talkback on the free iHeart app reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by aspiring event promoter Dave Cousten. Our Ridiculous Assistant is knock off VERUK Assault Terry Maldonado. Pong research is by Undercover umplumpa Marissa Brown. The theme song is by members of the Bridgerton Chamber Ensemble Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. Host wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred producer Dave Cousten's wardrobe by Mister Guy of Beverly Hills, guest haarn makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are determined. Poll dancer Ben Boleen and Lonely book panelist Noel.
Speaker 4: Brown reds QUI Say It one More Times?
Speaker 1: QUI Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts. My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.