Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: No Cowboys This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in frist.
Speaker 3: Joe ten Burns's got TINSI ty patient touchdown and.
Speaker 2: Now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: It's in off season edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the studio. Welcome in, everybody. We've got Josh Roderiguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's Glad you're with us. No Patrick, no c Walker, come on day. Unfortunately, our man is dealing with some rehab. I know he's sitting in bed. I wish he was here. He is on IR at the moment, Oh my god, he is. I r for sure, wishing nothing but the best for Patrick who injured his his leg last week.
Speaker 4: And man a big bro. Yeah, explosive he was.
Speaker 3: He was rounding third, about to score the winning run after hitting a inside the park homer, his speed blazing around the base pass in a tie game. Really it was. It was one of those that like inside the park, homers, I hit the very bottom half of the fence, you know, like it just barely stayed in the yard. He hit it good, though, so he had to use his speed to get around the bases and just ruptured his tele a tendon. There he goes, but.
Speaker 5: Shouts to him in quick recovery, of course, Patrick Nussey Walker.
Speaker 3: I hope, I hope I did his story any justice. I don't know if that's actually how it happened, but I just wanted to give him something cool.
Speaker 6: I believe, believe.
Speaker 3: Maybe he was like in an Indy car and he got in a wreck. The driver beside him made a mistake, because he didn't make the mistake. There's no no way driver Posidon made a mistake to sent him into the wall, you know, things like that.
Speaker 5: But but shows to him because uh, that's gonna be a long recovery process, obviously.
Speaker 6: But I know we'll be seeing him here pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I just I just text him. He said surgery, soone I'll be back in a building after that.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, I'm honestly shocked. You wouldn't be here. But if it's the surgery element, that's what you gotta wait for. So I love you, Pat appreciate you. I know he's watching. I know he's probably in the chat as well.
Speaker 5: So he texted us that, I think on on Thursday and he was like, all right, guys, I won't be in tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Like that's fair, Like thanks for letting me know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the picture.
Speaker 3: Did enough, now, that's fair. But if I ruptured my potel attendant that you wouldn't see me for a year. I feel like on the sideline, see you guys. Oh man, how's everybody doing? You'll did all right?
Speaker 6: Swell man?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, anybody get to check out the race.
Speaker 6: I did not go to the race, but but I can tell maybe that you might.
Speaker 3: Have checked it out. Did I make it out?
Speaker 6: Did you make it out?
Speaker 3: Get out there.
Speaker 5: What's funny is Kyle was giving a tour to the the IndyCar broadcasters. Together they were on the Grand Prix Grand Prix of Arlington broadcast and then also the driver who ended up winning the entire Grand Prix of Arlington.
Speaker 6: He was in our offices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in this studio.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like less than a week ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was last It was either Wednesday or I think it was Thursday morning. Thursday morning, right before we did the draft show. I had Will Buxton, Townsend Bell and Kyle Kirkwood and we went on a tour of the Star, took him around, they took pictures of the Super Bowl trophies, and they went to the different elements of the Star. Took them to breakfast up at the up at the club, and then had one of the equipment managers actually gave them cowboys hats and I told Kyle, I was like, if you win, it's because of the hat, and he was like, no doubt about it, completely agree, and sure enough he ended up winning that weekend. And it was really it was really a great event. Shout outs to the entire Arlington community. They showed out, sold out grand stands. Do you watch any of it, dude?
Speaker 5: Was the setup for them to turn at and T Stadium in the ballpark into you know speedway basically.
Speaker 3: The word that was used by drivers, not just fans and everybody. It was the perfect street course. They said it's the new standard for IndyCar. Really, so they thought it was the most well put together first time event they've ever experienced. A lot of the drivers said it's their favorite street course they've ever raced on, no matter what the series, so like, they really did an incredible job. It was an awesome environment. The race itself was kind of interesting because it ended up being less chaotic than I think I anticipated, because when I took the track tour on Wednesday, I was like, these are it's thin. It was very narrow straightaways and things like that. I thought there were going to be a lot of res a lot of like passing zones, and there was a lot of passing, not a lot of recks. There was one on a restart right at the end of the race, and that was really about it. So really cool, really cool stuff. Can't wait to see what happens next year. Everybody's kind of asking the question because there's no contract pass this year, but the apparently there was a report yesterday that there were some talks happening between like the next five years or so if it if it looked like that in year one, I can't wait to see what it does down the stretch because it was really really cool. Us from the God You Stop It, I know that reference too well. Talladegg and nights Baby. All right, let's get into some Cowboys offseason as the free agency period continues to ramp up. We are going to take your calls today. Oh yeah, Talks Nation, Talk to Cowboys Nation eight eight eight eight five five two. Hey, it is a talking to It is talking. I should open the show that way. It's a talking Tuesday edition eight eight eight. We start the show eight five five talk Cowboys get uh plenty to talk about since then as well, But really I want to break down each of the moves. We'll do that in the third segment, but kind of your general thought, Josh, as we go into some news and notes based on the how the Cowboys have done since last week in terms of their free agent additions.
Speaker 5: Well, to be clear, since last week, the Cowboys obviously made some moves. We talked last week about Rashaun Gary, we talked about Jalen Thompson. But if you look at the free agency tracker on Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: A little bit, if we didn't get muted there, sorry, we.
Speaker 6: Added a few more PJ Lock.
Speaker 5: Sam Howell was an interesting name to see on their Matt Hennessy, Kobe Durant, Princeton Fan is back.
Speaker 6: You also have who else's back.
Speaker 5: Sam Williams is returning, So I mean definitely moves that have been made. I wouldn't say splash moves by any stretch. And that was one of the criticisms that we had last week before we left the airways, is that the splash play isn't quite there yet. And I think I would say serviceable. I would say comparatively to the last few years of free agency that the Cowboys have had, this is definitely more. I wouldn't call this bust thing the budget in any form or phrase or thought.
Speaker 6: I don't think they're done yet.
Speaker 5: It was just the first wave, like Kyle alluded to, but there's still plenty to go. Linebacker obviously has not been addressed at all, and there are quite a few linebackers that I think are still out there, still capable of starting on this defense obviously, but I think that could be reputable contributors to your team, Bobby Wagner, including one. This is a name that you've seen at least Jesse Holly Champion, and I think we were talking about it last week even as a name that we would champion as a guy that would be a coach on the field as well as a great player on the field, So there's still a lot to go. I don't think the splash has been made by any stretch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the initial splash was the Gary trade, of course, and what happened was for Jean Gary last week. But now you add some other pieces that can contend for significant snaps. You think about Bobie Durant, you think about even Matt Hennessy kind of is your brock Hoffman replacement, even though rock Hoffmann hasn't signed.
Speaker 6: He's not signed anywhere, so I mean.
Speaker 3: He's not made necessarily a replacement quite yet. But he's a glass eater type of versatile offensive lineman that can possibly come in in a spot duty sort of situation. But based on what they've done, it's still not that high end move yet.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: No, I think that's and that's the criticism that you can have. Obviously, we had expectations obviously very different from what the Cowboys had going in, but we know that they made pushes for certain linebackers that were on the market that didn't quite you know, go our way for whatever reason that it just didn't come our way, which is unfortunate. You would hope that the Cowboys would make that extra push to secure a guy that they really really.
Speaker 6: Want to add to this defense.
Speaker 5: But I think now all signs, in my opinion, are pointed to the draft, which I don't know is the best ness strategy for that position necessarily. I know there are a lot of really good names, but I mean, you're counting on a rookie to come in and you know, take over all of the starts for a linebacker, which.
Speaker 4: You know you don't like it.
Speaker 6: I don't like Yep.
Speaker 5: I don't like those words again, like I'm saying, and you'd hope that they still have moves to make in free agency in regards to that position.
Speaker 6: But what are we waiting on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we talked about it last week, right that there were only so many big time moves that could have been associated with the Dallas Cowboys, and a lot of those guys that we were kind of hoping for really got taken off the board.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: I'm talking about the guys that got taken off early. And then we talk about there was a second wave of guys that I know we talked about off air in turn of specifically at linebacker that got taken off the board by other teams relatively quickly. We have a little side chat that every time somebody gets taken we're like.
Speaker 5: Oh, Isaiah and I were texting that the entire weeks, like literally every guy that we wanted is off the board.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all the linebackers that we really liked were off the board. That's not to say that there aren't guys that are still feasible, are guys that can contribute, but the guys that we really wanted to set our hat on. Those guys are gone. So now you're in a situation where you're kind of back where you're used to the Dallas Cowboys being, which is their searching for discount double checks really and late veteran additions.
Speaker 4: This is familiar territory. So did they.
Speaker 7: Do anything different this season this offseason than they have in past years?
Speaker 4: You just alluded to it. Yes, they have.
Speaker 7: I like some of their signings. I definitely like pretty much like all their signings that they've made. I like the fact that they brought in Sam Howell. I really like that one. I think that is very underrated signing, and in regards to that position in terms of Dak's health in terms of what was behind Dak. I think that that creates a lot of competition there and somebody that you can really rest your hat on, and I think that's important specifically at that position.
Speaker 4: I think PJ. Lock obviously the versatility.
Speaker 7: There was huge. Jalen Thompson is huge. Both of those guys are able to give you versatility both at the safety position and being able to come in and play a little bit of corner as well. And then Kobe Durant, I think that was that was definitely a good a thrift by you know it. I'll put it that way. He's a good player, and sometimes you go to thrift story you can find some good stuff, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the exactly what the Dallas Cowboys did.
Speaker 7: I think by most accounts, people would feel like Kobe Durant probably could have knit it probably probably another three or four or four, and they got him for five.
Speaker 4: So thank you.
Speaker 5: That's five max with incentives, that's four base caress.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure that's what happened there with him his opportunities, but thank you, Uh take that all day long.
Speaker 3: When we talked to him while he was signing, he said that he was he said he was trying to let his agent kind of handle everything. Wanted to let the process go as it may. And then as soon as the agent called and they said Dallas wants you, he said, make it happen. So he really wanted to be here. I think that's one element of it. And then I asked a staff member too, from the from the front office what they thought about him, and I kind of said that I was like, he kind of got him for a deal, huh, And their first thoughts He's like, I don't know, I don't know. He said, I hope that we got him for a steal, right. I hope that we paid the right amount of money for him. But he also said as soon as he heard Jordan Lewis like yeah, and saw Jordan Lewis like, because there was a lot of people that kind of compared him to that, even though he didn't play a ton in the nickel. He only played like eighty something snaps in the Nickel. As soon as he said Jordan Lewis like in the type of play, they were bought on and spot on.
Speaker 5: Board and that's the name that Jerry Jones has been very regretful of losing the last officer first time.
Speaker 6: Yeah. No, he definitely admitted it.
Speaker 3: Vocal about it, Yeah, and vocal about it.
Speaker 5: He's brought his name up quite a few times, which you know, is surprising, I guess for that regime to reference a mistake or you know, something that they regret.
Speaker 4: Wasn't there a show that talked about how important.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely we did.
Speaker 5: I was talking to Danny mccraye yesterday about Durant and because he hadn't seen any of his tape before, and I was like, just watch this highlight reel with me real quick, because I had questions about his ability and him being undersized, how that compares to like some of the corners that we've had in the past. And his immediate reference was Seorge Lewis, Like, right off the.
Speaker 3: Back, they look similar in the way that they play, the physicality, the footwork, the speed, I mean all of that. I think Kobe's not as polished as Jaylu, but honestly, Jaylu wasn't as polished in the early parts of his career too. It took him a little bit of time to get there. Durant could be that at some point in time, with the right coaching, in the right scenario.
Speaker 6: Going into this fifth year two, I mean there's still plenty of from very young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he has the right mindset, and so I think that's one of my favorite underrated signings that Dallas has had so far. I'm glad you brought up Sam Howe to because it provides competition for Joe Milton. And they did release Will Greer. They waived him this past week. So shout out to Will for everything that he did, kind of battling back and coming back to the organization after he was originally leto a couple of seasons ago. But now you get a guy like Sam Howe who had seventeen games of gameplay two years ago and has some experience underneath him to come and challenge Joe Milton. Very different type of quarterback, very different body, type of quarterback. When you've got Sam Howe. When he walked in the other day, the first thought I had was, Wow, he's a lot smaller than I thought he was. Where the first time. Yeah, And then the first time I saw Joe Milton was like, holy cow, he's way bigger than.
Speaker 4: I thought he was.
Speaker 7: Somehow is a freaking competitor, Yeah, he is. That's one thing I think We talked about it a couple of years ago when when Washington had felled, you know, he was in a position to start for Washington. I was like, hey, man, like, watch out with respect on this dude's name when I was watching this film because.
Speaker 4: I like him.
Speaker 7: I like him a lot North Carolina, Right, Yeah, Joe Milton better.
Speaker 4: Strap him up, buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I think that's gonna be fun.
Speaker 5: But obviously that's a competition that you only want to see in the preseason. You know, It's like you absolutely you only want to see it there. But at least there is competition for Joe Milton as opposed to like, you know, last year was kind of a chew in Like I think maybe halfway through camp you're thinking, like, well, I don't know if this show.
Speaker 6: The guys really got it. But now it's like he's his feet are against the fire now.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Some other the other signings Tito, but you got to talk to he was awesome. He was really cool from Houston. He was born and raised in Houston. Was a track and field guy down there too, along with playing football.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He said he's always been a Cowboys fan. He's excited to play for the organization, and not everybody always says that. They always say, hey, I'm excited to play for the organization, but not everybody says, I grew up cheering for the team that I'm now currently playing for and gets to do that. He's a he's going to be a depth piece, somebody that rotates in and and I think it's it's quality depth, depth.
Speaker 6: Pey who's in front of him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like Kenny Clark and Quinnen Williams. Oh okay, yeah, and so no more, no more Osa, no more Solomon Thomas, but that's still a number. No more perry On Winfrey. But that's a crowded room too. And you need a big body, strong dude. And one of the first things that I noticed when talking to him was he's got a strong handshake man. Well, he almost crushed our hands.
Speaker 4: He's a rotational guy for you right now. I think he's a starter.
Speaker 3: You think so, I don't.
Speaker 6: I disagree.
Speaker 3: I think I disagree a little bit.
Speaker 4: Who's your three down?
Speaker 3: Three down right now? I mean, Kenny, Hm, Quinn And then I.
Speaker 4: Were Shawn Gary, are you throwing him on?
Speaker 3: You're you're you're standing him up?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, I think he's gonna play a lot of that four I spot. No, oh, I think so?
Speaker 6: And why not? Your draft pick showed some some things last year.
Speaker 3: I'm forging Desert Donovan azrako a.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, now Tito over to year.
Speaker 4: Tito is you're a starter right now? That's right now.
Speaker 3: You don't think Gary's gonna play down No.
Speaker 4: None to three four?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Heck no?
Speaker 7: Oh man, no, Okay, That's why I come back to this. Look at the Look at the body types right that acquired. Okay, look at Gary. Okay, what's Gary size? He is sixty five to eighty six four.
Speaker 4: Two seventy five.
Speaker 7: Okay, right, so he's a he's a big, stand up outside linebacker. Right when I talked about it before, that's the type of type. Sixty two, sixty to twenty five to eighty right, those are the guys that you want. They've gotten rid of their quote unquote undersize defensive lineman.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep.
Speaker 5: And the writing was on the wall before that happened, because they signed upon before the trade with OS.
Speaker 7: Yes, but I want people to see the trend lines here in terms of defensive lineman versus outside linebackers. Your defensive linemen are at least three hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're true.
Speaker 7: Three four defensive linemen are three hundred plus, and that's a change in parts. Usually you're gonna have multiple one or zero techniques. They're gonna be three thirty right, three twenty three thirty They give the big fellas, right, the big nasties. Those guys are gonna be right on the centers. Okay, Then you're gonna have the more agile three hundred pounders are gonna be playing like your your three and your your four and five techniques.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: Then so those are your down guys, you guys, those guys that have their hands in the ground. Okay, So you're going to see a trend line there, and you talk about Otito big fella, Clark big fella, Quinn Williams big fella. All those guys are down lineman in the three four. Yeah, you're outside linebackers AK slash defensive ends. They're going to be two sixty plus two sixty to two eighty usually. So look at the guys that you have slotted at outside linebacker gary to seventy five, right, yeah, six four twenty.
Speaker 4: Five, uh right, kind of the cussip there right on the customer right.
Speaker 3: And they have said that he will play both.
Speaker 7: I'm sure he will. He's going primarily he'll be a stand up, which I agree, and that's where you should have them.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying to stand upside.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying that these guys can never put their hands, but right now, are you going to sacrifice having Rashawn Gary playing at least down a little bit in that spot in his talent level just to have Otito O bone?
Speaker 3: Is he good enough? I played that consistently as a starter.
Speaker 7: I believe that Gary's the greatest benefit that he can provide to your team is him standing up. I'm not saying that he can't play with his hand down. I'm saying that he's more beneficial to you standing are.
Speaker 3: So I just don't think they have a guy right now that is the solidified starter there.
Speaker 7: So right now, if it's me, I'm I can move those three O Tito, Kenny Clark, Quinny Williams. I can rotate those guys along that three down anyway. I want to write something. It doesn't really matter who makes a master wherever. They's all about the message.
Speaker 6: Right size wise for the scheme, exactly.
Speaker 7: For that scheme right there. Okay, So but then I'm going to Gary on one end. Okay, I got Wheat, who's two sixty, two sixty five. You got Sam Williams two sixty, probably gonna be two sixty five. Donovan Ezakuho is two fifty two, you know, to forty eight somewhere around there. He'll have an extra don under two you'll have. Yeah, he'll be two sixty by the time he hits camp. Right, So two hundred and sixty pounds, that's what I want people to start getting. Those are gonna be your stand up outside linebackers that can go out and set the edge, funnel everything in. They can pass rush, and they can go ahead and set the edge. That is going to be the body type that you're looking So when I know you're mister draft we start looking at this draft stuff, those are gonna be the guys that this this organization is looking for to fill those positional needs. They're either going to be a really big fella they can put his hand in the ground, or they're gonna be uh still a big guy, but not necessarily a down lineman as you would as you would think about it in this.
Speaker 4: Particular scheme kind of another Rashan Garry exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So mister draft, excuse me. Are those guys gonna be in the third round.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be the question, because can you find your linebackers in your corners enough to where in your safeties? Really? I think you've maybe you feel good about your safeties now or you're in a better place than you were, a better place now. But the value lines up with linebacker and safety later in the draft than it does defensive tackle, slash end guys. You know, the edge rusher guys are gonna go early. TJ. Parker is the name that keeps coming to mind for me because he's a big bodied edge rusher out of Clemson. He's kind of that outside guy that maybe can play both a little bit national flexel exactly and everybody ELSEO has to remember that it's not going to be ninety percent of the time three four, No, it's going to be a lot of four down linemen and even man front two.
Speaker 7: And I bring up those sizes because we've heard Christian Parker talk about the they're going to be multiple. So if you're going to be multiple, I need guys that are at around that two between two sixty to two two ninety, Yeah, two and two ninety. That could play down, and I feel confident about them being able to hold their own, but also they need to be quick enough and explose them enough where I stand them up.
Speaker 4: And I still feel like they can get to the quarterback.
Speaker 7: So I'm saying, like that body type around there, that two sixty to two ninety, that's what I'm looking at them most likely acquiring in addition to getting one more really big fella up front.
Speaker 3: Can I give you a draft watch for me? Yeah, just for those reasons. Keldric Folk out of Auburn kind of fits that mold six six two eighty right around there.
Speaker 6: And Tommy wrote about him on Dusko was dot com.
Speaker 3: Back and then I mentioned TJ. Parker, he's more four to seventy ish. I can't I don't have the draft numbers in front of me, but just off the top, I like this, he's right around there.
Speaker 4: I like six four to sixty six.
Speaker 7: The reason why it's passing lanes, yeah, right, being able to knock the ball down when you're going to three four, especially those guys getting down, they're gonna kind of pinch down. The quarterback's gonna want to get the ball out of their hands. You've got six six long arms. You're reaching up ten feet in the air.
Speaker 6: Right If you're not getting past that lineman, at least you have the link to interrupt.
Speaker 3: Another guy like that, denied Dennis Sutton out of Penn State, six foot five, two seventy. He may be a guy that's not necessarily twelve or twenty, but maybe he slips a little bit. I've got a second round grade on him. Maybe he slips into the third. We'll see. But those are three guys that I think fit that bill early in the draft that you can kind of maneuver back and forth and kind of mix a match. All right, when we come back, we're gonna take your phone calls eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. What are your thoughts on the Cowboys free agency periods? So far? More talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 1: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise, and jahn Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 8: We're with you.
Speaker 1: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing, where with you?
Speaker 3: Where are United Cowboys fans? We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating location. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee America's coffee. How's it going.
Speaker 2: You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I watched.
Speaker 9: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent, You have some great talent, and they got some fight hoping. This is the year me too. Oh I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Travis. Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 4: Cowboys make a.
Speaker 6: New friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 4: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 7: Bank of America, the official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys copyright twenty twenty five Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 10: Getting AT and t's best deal on the Samsung Galaxy S twenty six Ultra, Man, you realize I do deserve the best, like this bubble bath with fancy soap and even a face mask.
Speaker 11: Learn how new and existing ATENT customers can get the new sounds in Galaxy S twenty six Ultra with Galaxy AI for zero dollars with eligible trading any condition requires trading of Galaxy S twenty four plus for five or new or installment plan and eligible wireless plan minimum sixty dollars a month before discounts for a tentty value two point zero subject to change. Visit att dot com slash on some for details.
Speaker 2: Fucking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back You're on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. This segment has brought to you by invisil Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys, with Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. It's for the first time this offseason time for some.
Speaker 2: It's ton till Tuesday.
Speaker 11: Pick up the phone, open, shot it up, spilled your mind shoesdays here, it's time call us.
Speaker 2: Now that's some wine shoesdays.
Speaker 3: It's time for some talking Tuesday. No better way to start it off than a little nebvy noseball from Silver Springs, Maryland. What's going on?
Speaker 8: Uh uh hi, guys, thank you so much for taking my call. Uh happy Saint Patrick's day. Uh uh all right, thanks? Uh uh guys. First of all, I want to say.
Speaker 3: Uh uh uh.
Speaker 8: Uh uh I absolutely, I absolutely love the fact uh that we hired Christian Parker to be our new defensive coordinator.
Speaker 7: Uh uh.
Speaker 8: Please excuse me because I know it's too early to tell, uh, but I for one believe he's gonna do a great uh uh uh uh uh uh uh a job for us. Uh just out of curiosity? Who uh who uh? Who do you believe? Which player do you believe will benefit most from Christian parkers hiring? And before I go, I just want to say, let's do what the two thousand and seventeen Philadelphia Eagles dead, and let's go from seven and nine to Super Bowl champions because it's time for us to win a Super Bowl. Go cowboys. Take care. Thanksful, impatient with me. I have a great week and one month. One more thing. I love you guys, by appreciate it.
Speaker 3: We love you too. That's awesome. Thanks Nebby for the call as always and always knows ball.
Speaker 5: You know, for a long time I really thought Neavy new ball, but he just brought up the Philadelphia Eagles winning the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: On hock the heck, man, you just want to make you angry.
Speaker 6: What are you doing to.
Speaker 3: Light a fire? Yeah, that's what he's trying to do. He's trying to light a fire a little bit.
Speaker 6: Got me, mad man.
Speaker 3: He's trying to say, hey, seven and nine to a Super Bowl as.
Speaker 4: Possible, we can't avoid the fact that we do have one of their coaches.
Speaker 3: If we did take one of those guys.
Speaker 6: He's cowboy, that's all.
Speaker 7: Whatever he did before this could care less, just sketching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't even care. He wears the right colors. Now, all right, let's answer his question. I don't have it. Wow, will you pinched the back of my hand if you want to go? Thanks dude. The uh Yeah. When it comes to Christian Parker's higher who does it benefit the most? That was his question.
Speaker 4: Initially, like my answer, you'all don't think I'm crazy.
Speaker 3: I already think you're crazy.
Speaker 6: So the question was which current like free free agency?
Speaker 3: Okay, got it, yeah, like which returning Cowboys are going to benefit the most? Good, Sam Williams, I agree with you actually, so I don't think you're that crazy.
Speaker 4: I like my answer. I know, I know.
Speaker 7: Sam Williams has not been what people have wanted him to be. He has not been consistent contributor on defense. He has hurt the team with penalties. He's been a reliable special teamer. We can't dispute that whatsoever. But Sam williams body type and playing style did not fit a four down scheme.
Speaker 3: It just did it. It just never did. They tried to bowld them into that and it never really worked out. He's not explosive enough to be a true defensive end. He's not big enough to be you know saying to be your your down lineman per se. So three four fits him perfect.
Speaker 7: He is a downhill head butt you in the face type of guy, and he has long arms. He can set the edge, he can run stop like that's that's his style. He wants to go downhill he doesn't want to have to think and try to, you know, run around like let him go. And I think that Sam Williams, Tyros Wheat, those those guys that body style, they're playing type, those guys are going to benefit a lot. So I know they're not the big names that everybody is looking for right now, but in terms of what they do well and what fits them best, this is the best situation that they could possibly be in, and I think they're going to be the benefactors of this. Christian Parker three four base defense.
Speaker 3: We didn't even talk about the Tyros Whet signing after he spent last year with Detroit. That's your guy back.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to see him obviously.
Speaker 7: Again, we talked about winn this three four when when Christian Parker was coming over him switching over to three four. What does that do to your roster? And I mentioned multiple times your roster has to change in terms of your personal your personnel.
Speaker 4: Body types.
Speaker 7: You're gonna start seeing a lot of more two under sixty two undred and seventy pound guys on this roster defensively, and your special teams will benefit from it as well. And I think Wheat and Sam Williams or those are both going to be huge contributors for you on special teams. But also they're guys that you feel comfortable being able to say, hey, go out there, stand up, and any tight end that tries to block you, run them into the lap of a quarterback right. Any tackle that tries to come out, you just hold them in place. So I feel good about those guys and what they bring to this team. They're relentless guys there that you don't have to be questioning about their effort. There are guys that you can give one task to and say, hey, go strong arm this dude and just push them back, and you feel comfortable about that, and you're okay with that just being their contributions in this defensive scheme.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna cheat a little bit because this guy was given a disservice last year. I don't think he played very healthy. I think he had a rough go at it. But obviously, you know, any improvement over that will be good for him. Some of them, rebel, I think obviously, going from last year to this year, he's going to have a full off season under his belt. I think the fact well TV's went off, that's all right, we're moving along, uh Civione Rebel under Christian Parker under new Right Cornerbacks coach Ryan Smith secondary coach.
Speaker 6: Rather, I think that's going to be a huge.
Speaker 5: Improvement for him, and anything above his production last year will be better obviously for him. Like I said, it's sort of a cheat code, but I think he's gonna be considerably better than he was last year.
Speaker 3: I like it. Paul in New York City, you were on Cowboys? What's going on, Paul, I'm not.
Speaker 12: With New York City of close to the Syracuse for drum area.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So I just got Paul in New York on my on line, So I just assume that's on me, not upstate. My bad.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're good, said not to see Patrick Mosey Walker. But hey, guys, how are you guys doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're doing all right?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm doing good. So we got Rashaan Gary, which I'm excited about. But he's what two seventy seven we were saying. So I have a question about a guy that we traded with OSA, because you've talked about in the two ninety range as the high end. Did they not think he could stand up on the outside, kind of like Gary, He's not much different on the bill other than being a tackle. Was that something that they were looking at also with Parker? I think the best is going to be the secondary is going to get the biggest benefit. Blaine might get back to what he's doing. I think he will help revel. That's all I got today. I just wanted to say hi everyone, Thanks.
Speaker 3: Man, I appreciate you. Paul, appreciate the call from up there in the Syracuse A.
Speaker 5: I think it would be silly to think that Ohso couldn't contribute in this defense, even under Christian Parker. I think the thing that really hampered him was the money. The fact that he's that hit that he was going to have this year. I think it was too much for the Cowboys blood to account for this year while also trying to improve several aspects of your defense. I think they got what they thought was the most they could get out of him as far in terms of a trade, which helped them and has them.
Speaker 6: Currently under the cap. So I think that's mainly it.
Speaker 5: I think it was a business decision, which is unfortunate because you want a guy like Osa on your team.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was entirely a business decision, because you know, they they really had a tough time moving on. I think from Osa just in having conversations around the building. They loved though. So he was a leader in the locker room, somebody that was willing to do whatever he was asked, right, yeah, whenever it came to making this team successful.
Speaker 6: Ultimate character guy.
Speaker 3: Was he a perfect fit in a three four No, but you're gonna play multiple He would have had places to be successful even if it was in a two down scenario, and even if it was in spare time.
Speaker 5: But for that cap hit for a rotational defensive lineman, it's just didn't.
Speaker 3: Cap hit number two. And it makes sense for twenty seven and twenty eight. That's really where the money helps, cause you actually kind of take a borderline. It's a sixty year right yeah. I think it's like plus four of what it would have been in like plus twelve over the the term of the contract. But you get that all up front, and then the twenty seven and twenty eight seasons you're off the books entirely, and so that helps you a ton over the next two years when you're trying to continue this window and build into the future. But then also Osa, it was the contract, it was the scheme fit and the body type, and it just kind of where he was. But oh, in the value. The value was the third element there of where San Francisco comes in and says, we're gonna give you a top one hundred pick.
Speaker 6: That's that's hard when you didn't have a Day two pick at all.
Speaker 3: Now that's a lot of value there. Did you think Osa could have fit in the system.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so Osa could fit in any system. That's the thing about Osa. I outside of the fact that he's a great human, great leader, drinks a lot of water too. I'm gonna miss seeing that big water jug, you know, walking out the locker room. Just always was willing to do stuff with the media. It's nothing, but I mean, he was a great dude. But I hate to see him. I hate see him leave, man. But I understand it from the business perspective. But in terms of he could do, Osa could play in any system whatever you ask Olso he's going to contribute. He's strong, he's physical, he's explosive, all the things. There's not a box that he doesn't really check for you. So good luck to him and his contributions that he'll make to San Francisco. But he was just too expensive for what they were going to be asking him to do here in Dallas this year. And what you can replace him with. You can get multiple guys for what you're going to be paying him this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's take our second break. When we come back, it's time for a little bit of point of reference. I'll explain this gig when we come back a little bit of a game to play. Well, now, it's not all right when we come back with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 6: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 13: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: Cowboys fans, We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating locations. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee America's Coffee.
Speaker 10: Getting eighteen t's best deal on the Samsung Galaxy S twenty six Ultra, Man, you realize I do deserve the best, Like this bubble bath with fancy soap and even the face masks.
Speaker 11: Learn how new and existing a Tenti customers can get the new sounds and Galaxy stny six Ultra with Galaxy AI for zero dollars with eligible trading. Any condition requires trading of Galaxy S twenty four plus for five or new or installment plan on eligible wireless plan minimum sixty dollars a month before discounts for eight tentty value two point zero, subject to change. Visit att dot com slash on some for details.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys, with Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back Chrispab in the back. All right, this is called points in of reference. Okay, this is seeing how recency bias is going to get us in trouble because I'm going to revisit this at the end of the regular season, and I've got a calendar spot already reserved at the end of the regular season in twenty twenty six, so it.
Speaker 4: Was not fair freaking no season.
Speaker 3: I know I want to get it. I I'll ask him about it, and honestly, I know he's listening. If you want to text it in no see, you could totally text it do it. He also said that he will allow the story that I showed at the beginning of the episode.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 3: But this is rating each football move that the Cowboys have made so far, Okay, and we're gonna do it pretty quickly here one through ten. One being this is like a super Bowl caliber move. This is the most incredible move you've made all off season. So if you believe there's one of those, then go ahead and say. If you don't believe there's one of those, then don't say it.
Speaker 6: He said one is the super Bowl move.
Speaker 3: I didn't right here on the text message says ten equals super Bowl caliber.
Speaker 6: I thought you just said one super Bowl Okay.
Speaker 3: Sorry, ten is super Bowl caliber. If I said it the wrong, yeah, then that's what I uh. Ten is a super Bowl caliber move. One is the team is worse now because of this move, So got it right. Around five means you're steady right. Yeah, So anything five and above is a good move. Anything five and below probably not. Let's start with the big ones that happened even prior to free agency opening. Javonte Williams being signed with Dallas. Where does that ring?
Speaker 6: Oh that's an eight?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, it's an eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I give it a seven.
Speaker 3: Seven, Okay. I think I'll probably right there.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of money obviously tied into his contract, but I mean, he was an excellent contributor to your team last year and you he wants you have him as the backbone of your run game obviously.
Speaker 3: So yeah, oh yeah, absolutely think and if you're in the chat to go ahead and give your.
Speaker 5: The contract is reasonable although big, I mean I think it's a reasonable tag for what.
Speaker 3: Now that we're seeing what some of these running backs are getting to, I think you actually kind of got it for a steal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some of these hometown discount a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, Yeah, a little bit, all right. George Pickens being placed on the franchise tag. It's kind of a tough one. Uh.
Speaker 5: Four, Yeah, I mean it's it's necessary, so I'm fine with it.
Speaker 8: Five.
Speaker 3: You kind of got to see where it goes.
Speaker 4: It was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, four gone conclusion.
Speaker 6: Ten would be signing him.
Speaker 3: But okay, I like that. Where would it be if he if they do sign him for you?
Speaker 4: Eight?
Speaker 3: Eight? Pretty high move, uh, Brandon Aubrey second round tender.
Speaker 4: I'll give it an eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, just to keep him around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he I mean nobody's offered anything yet, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't know if anybody will.
Speaker 5: Well, fair Burn only got six point five exactly, and I think, honestly, that's a really good strategic move by the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Great move by the Cowboy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, give it an eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he lost, well, that was kind of that.
Speaker 6: If you wanted ten, which reports yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think they want to he one t I don't think he asked for Tim would also want to Yeah there Tim, Tim would be nice? Uh. TJ Bass second round tender? Five?
Speaker 6: Okay, TJ. Bass? Yeah, they clearly don't want to lose him. I'd go five.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm at to all right, this is where it starts getting juicy. Rashaan Gary trade for a fourth round pick in comparison to the previous fourth round pick trades. I will give this a seven point five.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'd give this an eight because of the pay cut that he agreed to as well. If you incorporate that into the move, I'd say that's an eight.
Speaker 3: Two years, thirty two million, sixteen on average per year. Yep, sounds pretty good to me. The boy solid edge rusher. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna give it a I'll give it a nay. I think he's a good player, and we talked about this already. He gives you something better than what you had on defense last year in terms of rushing the passers. And he gives you versatility from a down lineman, a stand up lineman, whatever you wanted to use him as at outside linebacker rather, he gives you opportunities there. Sam Williams being re signed for.
Speaker 6: Dallas, so three point five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a six. I think I'm thinking six too. But I also agreed with Isaiah in the fact that I think he's better in the system. Yeah, and I think he benefits from Christian Parker here.
Speaker 6: I think I'll just need to see that.
Speaker 3: I get it. And I could see fans in the chat probably saying one one negative six. There's there's probably gonna be some growing pains there, but he's back for one year. It's on a low end deal. If he makes any sort of impact, then I think it's a cherry on top.
Speaker 4: You'll surprise us.
Speaker 3: Jalen Thompson signing with Dallas.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: I love that move for me currently as we sit here. Give me an eight because of the player, the value of the position, and then I also think that the coaches are going to benefit from a guy that already knows the system. He worked with Ryan Smith, working with Christian Parker, I think is going to be beneficial to him. I think for the price that you got him for. Honestly, that's a that's an aim move for me.
Speaker 4: Give it eight.
Speaker 6: Eight.
Speaker 3: This is my favorite move of the off season so far, so I'm going to give it a nine.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 3: I want to step away from not there, but I love the fit for Jalen Thompson. I think he could be a star here if if it all goes well and if he stays healthy.
Speaker 6: Like those words Kyle Noseball PJ.
Speaker 3: Locke Safety signing with Dallas.
Speaker 4: Seven. You like it seven?
Speaker 3: Okay, so you like him as another guy.
Speaker 6: It's a practical movie you're gonna start for you?
Speaker 4: Do you think starting is so light? Subjective. Okay, I think this is going to depend on who we're playing.
Speaker 3: Good point.
Speaker 5: I think it's a very practical move. I think your safety room is obviously better than it was last year. But I think he's kind of an average player from what I'm seeing so far.
Speaker 6: I'd say five.
Speaker 3: I'd give it a six. Same kind of thing, like, you're better than what you were. It gives you options, and you're better than.
Speaker 6: What you are, certainly less bad.
Speaker 3: That helps Tito.
Speaker 5: Again, another depth piece in the depth behind Quinn and Kenny Clark. You lost three contributors there, and it's more of a fit scheme because of those guys. But you know, half a sack on his career, forty four solo tackles one year, three million dollars.
Speaker 6: I'd say five, yeah, yeah, give me a six.
Speaker 3: Five, Yeah, I'm in a five, Sam Howe, oh quarterback.
Speaker 4: Give me a eight.
Speaker 3: You like it that much?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Wow, I like it a lot.
Speaker 7: I don't think people understand if you if you were to lose deck, you were in a bath, you were in a bad spot.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, Like I don't think people have no chances.
Speaker 4: Like you really no disrespect to it.
Speaker 7: Milton hopefully he's gotten a lot better so far during this this off period.
Speaker 3: We just haven't seen it.
Speaker 6: But now we get to find out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but now you get to find out. And you know, Sam Howe is a dog like Sam How's a dolt. He's not a freaking he's not a you know, world beater, but he is somebody. You put him in a game, you got a chance. In my eyes, you got a freaking chance. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: Whenever we get into our production meetings for the preseason, we're gonna be sick. They're at a table at some Marriotte wherever we are getting ready for a preseason broadcast. And when we're gonna turn to no Marriott's where their partner don't worry, Okay, the the where we we turned to Isaiah and like, what do you want to talk about in the open? Isaiah? And Isaiah is gonna be like this quarterback to battle. This is what we want to see samal versus versus Joe Milton can't wait all.
Speaker 6: At the moon.
Speaker 3: He's gonna use that on the broadcast.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm still.
Speaker 3: Uh Tyrus Wheat signing with the team.
Speaker 4: That's good, good value.
Speaker 3: Give me a six point five I'll say seven.
Speaker 6: It's a six.
Speaker 3: Okay. Matt Hennessy signing with the team.
Speaker 6: I actually like that move.
Speaker 5: Like you said, he's very versatilelignment, and if you're losing brock Hoffman, that's a good real placement for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, give me six six.
Speaker 4: I would have been Okay, what Hoffman, So give me a five?
Speaker 3: Yeah Hoffman.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, I don't know who costs you more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably Hoffman. Honestly, with that deal, I would I would give me a five with Hennessy. I don't think it moves the needle a ton for me.
Speaker 5: I also really hope Rob Jones gets another shot because he had an injury last year.
Speaker 6: I early want to see that injury.
Speaker 3: I want to call good. Call Kobe Durant signing at the cornerback spot.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 6: Uh, really good.
Speaker 5: I'd say seven point five and give me any value of the player and the ceiling that he has.
Speaker 4: Give me a yeah, some point, give me a seven point six, seven eight.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then Princeton Fant returning at the time.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love Prist. Yeah, that's your guy, that's my guy.
Speaker 8: Love.
Speaker 7: I think he's so underutilized, man, Yeah, give me a give me a six point five.
Speaker 3: Okay, six seven, actually six six okay, not a six seven six. The the reason I even bring up this conversation is what would be a ten from here on that? There doesn't have to be a specific name out there, okay, but you could make a move, Let's say George Pickens, the move that happened last year, a trade, whatever may be. What do you have to get in order to forward to be a ten? Can it be a position group? It can be whatever you think? There's no more ten signings, I don't think. But to make a move this, to.
Speaker 7: Make a trade, it would have to be a beast of a receiver or a beast of a of a corner.
Speaker 3: For me, well, I think Jalen waddles on the trade block, right, you're going, oh yeah, you going, what happened where.
Speaker 4: He is in Denver?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Freaking freak.
Speaker 5: I wonder if I wonder if the front office's ears perk up when they see Jaillen Wall go for a first and it.
Speaker 4: Was late, it was a thirtieth overall, a in an early fourth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then a third pick swap right, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 6: To wonder if they're like.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you, I mean adding, obviously, we hope not. Obviously you don't need it here. But if you were to do that, then I mean, you're pretty much making your offense, you know, invincible.
Speaker 3: Mmm. Yeah, but you got to find a way to retain one of your guys already.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure.
Speaker 7: No, I'm That's what I'm saying that that's not a reality for Dallas, but I'm saying like it would require a move like that, like I'm sure didn't for fans are like, oh crap, heck, yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, we're not sitting here expecting that to happen, but if it did, we'd be like, oh, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: Man. Miami's got a couple first round picks that they could spend, and they need a wide receiver. Now maybe maybe they'd be willing.
Speaker 7: There's still a couple of d ns out there that I think are on the trading block or you know, even our in free agency that you would still be like.
Speaker 3: That's a nice edition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll take that.
Speaker 3: Talking about Posa, I'm talking about linebacker, Buddy. I need a linebacker too, dude, I need a badass linebacker. Oh real, And that would be my that would be my ten or both could happen. I both would be great. I'm cool with both. I'm all good with yof yeah, both of them, both.
Speaker 4: Both of them.
Speaker 3: All right? That does it for us here on Talking Cowboys. Hope you had fun with us over the last time idy minutes, did you have? Yeah? Are you back next week?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh good, Thank goodness. You scared me for a SEO the week after.
Speaker 5: I don't think the naturally me and Kylin. It wouldn't be great podcast that right now.
Speaker 3: I'd be rough, all right. That doesn't for us. For Josh Rudery, Yeah for Isaiah standback for Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.