Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You're starting to see some movement here. You got a free agency, you had the franchise tag moment here for the NFL, it seems like the Vikings are moving on from Sam Darnald, and I think we're going to look back on eight days. Eight days with Sam Darnold in Minnesota probably costume I don't know, one hundred million dollars because he was playing great. They were playing great. If he would have gotten hurt Week fifteen, he probably would have gotten that big contract from somebody in maybe Minnesota. But the eight days that he had ended the regular season, postseason and then they bow out. He was great until he wasn't. And now all of a sudden, the market seems to be drying up a little bit. It's like when you go, ah, if that girl was available, there'd be a lot of guys who'd want to date dater. Then all of a sudden she's available and you're like, yeah, maybe not. Sam Donald is kind of waiting, where's he going to land. Daniel Jeremiah, the draft expert for NFL Network, says, if Sam Darnold gets to the market, I'd be very curious to see if Blank got involved. I think he's a clear upgrade for this team that needs to win right now. Todd fill in the blank with Daniel Jeremiah's tweet. I'd be very curious to see if Blank got involved bringing in Sam Donald the Tennessee Titans. Tennessee Titan Seaton, what about you Indianapolis Colt wooooop. Yeah, the Colts are ready to win now, and you feel like that coaching staff has to win now. This goes back to what I said a couple of days ago. There's certain coaching staffs they know they have to win, so the first eight games, nine games are more important to them than any other ting the Giants first eight or nine games, because if you're two and seven, you're probably getting fired. If you're seven and two, you're probably getting an extension. The situation that you have with the Colts, that you have with the Giants, maybe the Arizona Cardinals. There's certain coaching staffs that have been there and now you've got to prove yourself. Can you bring in Sam Darnold. He's an upgrade over Anthony Richardson. You got to win now. This is a place where I thought Aaron Rodgers could go they've taken on older quarterbacks, or maybe they've learned their lesson. But I thought Aaron Rodgers would be a big upgrade. And that's a team that can win. Now, got a really good running back. I got Rogers playing half of his season in a dome. You can win the division, be competitive in the division. You can win ten games, and then you're a playoff team. Now, what do you do after that year with Aaron Rodgers? That's the tricky part. But if I'm a coach trying to hold on to my job, you know the Giants coaching staff. According to DraftKings, the Giants are tied with the Titans of who's going to have the number one pick. Well, the Titans have the number one pick, which tells you there's a whole lot of momentum of the Giants going up to get cam Ward. Now, if you're the Giants, let's just play this out just a hypothetical. I'm going to give you Sam Darnald and you can draft Travis Hunter. So I got Malik Neighbors, Travis Hunter, Sam Darnald, How good am I? Or we're going to trade some first round picks, maybe a player, and then we go up to get cam Ward, who is not proven and in any other draft would probably be the fourth, fifth, sixth quarterback ticket. But I get the rookie contract. But you got a coaching staff that needs to win now. But that's where you can say, if you're the coach, you go, you know what, we should go get cam War and then you know, well, we need a couple of years to develop him. Well, then we'll probably have to keep you on coach. But that might be if I put it in those terms that Sam Donald's gonna cost you. You're not gonna cost you fifty million dollars, but let's say cost you forty million dollars a year. Maybe you sign him to a three year deal. I get Travis Hunter, and I got Malik Neighbors, and I got them on rookie deals. Okay, now, Sam Donald, kirk Cousins, Aaron Rod, I mean, it's kind of I don't know, B B minus level quarterback play C plus, although the Giants should die for that, you get B minus quarterback play, Like sure, Well, what's it say about Minnesota that they're going to stay with JJ McCarthy, who got hurt, hasn't played yet and Daniel Jones, who was the starter with the Giants, the backup there at least for now, and they're going to let Sam Donald go unless they can work out a deal. And I think there's still the possibility of can they work out a deal for Sam Donald. And you know, Mike Florio Pro Football Talk had some wild speculation here, and you know he thought about this, if JJ McCarthy would ask out of Minnesota. Now this isn't a report, but let's say you bring back Sam Donald on a multi year deal. And this is what Mike Florio was talking about. If you're JJ McCarthy, what would you do? Would you go to front office and say, hey, I'm ready to play. Now you were going to make me the starting quarterback? Sam Donald was going to be the backup. Now, once again, this is just Mike Florio speculating here. But if you're JJ McCarthy, you're expecting. I think there was a report that he's already been told he's going to be the starter next year. I'm like, okay, But Mike Florio says, what if they bring back Sam Darnold. I haven't heard that, but Mike would be in the know there. But that's you know there is. You still have Russell Wilson, you still have Justin Fields. You have a situation with Shudoor Sanders. Is he worth taking in the top ten, top five? If he's there for the Giants at three, do you take him cam Ward? It feels like that makes a lot of sense that it doesn't feel like yet that there's a downside. Now there will be because they're going to put cam Ward under the microscope soon. We have so much time. Time is the enemy of prospects, big time prospects. Maybe a reach for somebody. Maybe there's a question mark time is the enemy because if the draft was tomorrow, I'd be curious where should or Sanders would go. Oh, the draft is not until the end of April, and I'm curious what this time period does good or bad to Shoodoor Sanders. All right, Satan will come up with the poll question today a little later on our good buddy Jim Jackson, Fox Sports, former NBA player, a lot to talk to him about, including the big matchup with the Knicks and the Lakers coming up tonight. I do have over unders here for the Knicks and the Lakers scoring wise, um Luca over under tonight, Marvin, I'll start with you, twenty eight and a half. All right, the Knicks are getting four and a half. Paulie over under Luca tonight according to DraftKings thirty and a half, Todd twenty seven and a half, Seaton twenty six and a half, twenty nine and a half.
Speaker 3: Lebron James over under tonight, Paul twenty six and a half. Bloop blop bloop.
Speaker 2: Jalen Brunson over under tonight, Seaton twenty five and a half.
Speaker 3: Woop bloop bloo.
Speaker 2: Guys, Okay, here's the tricky one, the big man who changed the game. Carl anthorty five and one half should be Carl Anthony Towns Marvin.
Speaker 3: Twenty four and a half, Paul slapping the face twenty four and a half, twenty five and a.
Speaker 2: Half, Oh Todd nineteen and a half, Seaton forty five and one half. It's twenty two and a half, twenty two and a half at half.
Speaker 3: I mean it's really like me, which would give him forty five Get Michael Steph, you know, doctor j Yeah, all the grades who have changed the game. Yeah, alright, mau Rushmore right there, Yeah, that's the best.
Speaker 2: All right, Seaton, what's poll question from the first hour?
Speaker 3: H well, we're starting with two actually, uh, what do you call it? A garass seal of yard sale or a tag saale?
Speaker 4: Starting?
Speaker 3: And then best destination for Sam Dnald? Your four options are the Vikings, Raiders, Colts, Giants. Do you guys ever play this game of what you envision a guy to look like in a uniform?
Speaker 2: And this started for me with Larry Bird. I couldn't imagine Larry Bird in a Laker uniform. I could imagine Magic a little bit more because he played at Michigan State and they wore green, but Larry wearing the Laker gold, I just can't see that. Sam Darnald wearing a Giant's uniform. If I'm Sam, I don't want to go back to where I saw ghosts and you know, the meadowlands. I don't know if I want to go back there now. He might not have a big opportunity there. Sam Donald in a Raiders uniform, Yeah, I can see that. Here's one for you.
Speaker 3: Shadoor Sanders in a Saints unit, tasty, sign me up?
Speaker 2: Colorado Colors similar, Yes, Paul easy transition uniform wise, Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 3: I could see he's got the like the flair and personality to uh, let's sort of lead a city like that.
Speaker 2: I could see that.
Speaker 5: That Sunday Night game with the all black Saints uniform and the brand new retro Dion Sanders oh ah, Chef's kiss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can see, you can envision there's certain players where you go. I could see him in a uniform like.
Speaker 3: That, him, Kamara Olave, that sort of like all standing there thing. Hen Yeah, dude, Tayo Hill, Yeah, dude, yeah, Tayo Hill. Oh sorry, yeah, yeah, Aaron Rodgers in a Bears uniform. You couldn't see it, right, You couldn't see it.
Speaker 2: It's like there was a thirty for thirty on the Heisman Trophy candidates with Peyton Manning and Randy Moss and Charles Woodson, and there was an opportunity at least a thought that Bill Belichick taking over the Peyton Manning could have come out after his junior year. Could you envision Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform? But that's what they were talking about back then. Yes, Paul, your Saints had the number nine pick of the draft. They were five and twelve. There are a couple picks after the Raiders.
Speaker 6: What if dot dot shaudor Sanders drops a few.
Speaker 2: I guess it depends on what happens in free agency here if they if they are going after somebody but don't get somebody now, can you go up and get Shadoor Sanders. And you know Tom Brady's role in all of this. Now, He's known Shaud Or Sanders a long time. You know, Dion brought Tom in to you know, help mentor Shadoor Sanders. But the Saints needs something.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I would think if I'm the Saints, I'd get Tyler Warren out of Penn State. Then it's a no brainer, like that guy can play right now and could be an All Pro and a couple of years there. But you know, we get fascinated, you know, enticed by what is the shiny object, and should or Sanders will be a shiny object. And you're still you're starting to see even more of this people. It's it's like, hey, it's okay to criticize somebody. So then all of a sudden more people come forward and start criticizing. That's all it took is one anonymous coach saying something about should or Sanders. Then all of a sudden, it's like, hey, you know, I'm here, and you know he can't make all the throat. You know he's only six to one and whatever. You know, he's not fat. It kind of like whoa, that happened quickly. Now that will dissipate. He'll do his pro day, He'll be great in his interviews, He'll be charismatic. But this could be a Dion Sanders backlash from is Dion trying to dictate where his son goes? And I'll go back to when he joined us at the Super Bowl and Dion said he's already started the process of talking to teams. Now I don't know if he talking to teams about you better drafting or teams you better not drafting. Back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 6: Right, So check us out.
Speaker 7: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 6: Be sure to check out.
Speaker 7: Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Cobin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 6: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host and contributed to NBC's Football Night in America all three of Mike's novels, Father of Mine, Son of Mine, and On Our Way Home Just ninety nine cents ebooks on Amazon, Mike, we stumbled upon something thanks to one of our callers, deathbed confessionals in sports. If I said NFL deathbed confessional, who do you want to hear from to solve a mystery?
Speaker 6: Wow? Boy, I had never really thought about that. For years. It was the whole did Frenchy Fukua touch the ball before it caramed into the hands of Frank o'harris for the immaculate reception? But that was fifty years ago. Nobody cares about that anymore. I need to think that through a bit more. There's got to be something Brady and Belichi related that we'd love to know the answer to, and we may never know the answer.
Speaker 2: To Malcolm Butler.
Speaker 6: Possibly there's a good one. What happened with Malcolm Butler? They'd have another ring if they had just used Malcolm Butler at all in Super Bowl fifty two in Minnesota when they lost to the Eagles. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: What do you think happened?
Speaker 6: Something happened that pissed off Bill Belichick to the point that he made a personal decision, not a best interest to the team decision, and he wanted to send a message. He wanted to show Malcolm Butler, whose boss, and ended up doing something that he believed would not cost the team the game, but that many believe cost the team the game.
Speaker 2: All right, let's look at what's happened so far since the Super Bowl. Biggest surprise so far is what or who?
Speaker 6: Well, based upon the way Travis Kelsey was talking right after the Super Bowl, if you're that far down the road of retirement and his comments on the New Heights podcast just a few days after the Super Bowl, Man Dan, it sounded like he was done. It sounded like he was walking and he was just coming to terms with it, and in a few weeks we'd find out that he was moving on. The fact that he so quickly decided to come back really surprised me. And I've seen some suggestion that he was ill for the Super Bowl. Of course, illnesses don't always get disclosed on the injury report, so we didn't know he was sick. But if that explains why it kind of looked at times like he was just going through the motions out there, maybe that maybe that helps justify and explain why he feels so determined to come back and go out on a higher note. Hard to get back to the Super Bowl. But with the Chiefs, they get to the ANFC Championship game every year, so he may have a chance to walk off into the sunset with yet another rank. Yeah, you get.
Speaker 2: Players who chase their tail because you don't want to go out that way, But there's only one team that wins the Super Bowl. Is he okay with going out by playing a really good game in a loss. That's what I would be curious about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think you're right, and it's gonna be hard for the Chiefs this year. They've got a lot of work to do. The gap between them and the Eagles was made abundantly clear at the Super Bowl. So I think it's a combination of love of the sport and look, Dan, you got the rest of your life to do whatever you're gonna do next, and we know he's gonna do great things. Once you stop playing, it's done, it's gone, and it's never coming back unless you're Brett Farv. But even then, at some point it ends and it's done and it's never coming back. So I can understand why he wants to keep doing the thing he loves if he feels like he can keep doing it, because for the rest of the life his life. Once he retires, he won't be doing it.
Speaker 2: Biggest story out of the combine was what, well, yeah, you mean.
Speaker 6: The thriller in Vanilla Latte. That wasn't that weird when that all happened, Like, I was both dismayed by and proud of the fact that I actually did reporting to find out what happened, why had happened, Who said what to whom?
Speaker 2: Okay, give us the background on it, Well.
Speaker 6: It was the whole. Jordan Schultz of Fox Ian Rappaport of NFL Media, they had an encounter at a Starbucks in Indy, which makes it a great coincidence because Jordan Schultz's dad was the CEO of Starbucks as it became a worldwide brand, and one guy got in the other guy's face. Some words were exchange words we can't say on an FCC regulated broadcast, and NFL security was alerted. NFL Security investigated. And the thing about the combine is every year it's lather, rinse, repeat the same stuff. This guy's you know, this guy can't work out, this guy's not working out, and then every four or five years there's one that pops and this is the one that popped because my wife said to me, number one, why do you care? And number two, why does anyone else care? It's like they just do things like this that are so different from the usual NFL news grind and are fascinating and bizarre and KOOKI everybody goes nuts for that.
Speaker 3: Have you been confronted by another member of the media or a player or GM or coach.
Speaker 6: Oh, I've been confronted verbally by several not people in the media per se. Usually it's by text, usually coaches, players, etc. It's by text. But I've had I've had an awkward encounter or two in the twenty years I've been doing this, And I'll leave it at that. Oh, I had come on, it's old news, you know. Care's been like nine years ago. Dirk Cutter, remember Dirk Cutter, the former Buccaneers coach at the league meetings, and I think it was in Florida that year. I had asked him a question when I interviewed him when he got the job two months earlier, and I never heard boo after the fact that he was upset, So me, like an idiot, I go bounding over to him like a sheep dog. Hey, Dirk, how are you? And I got the verbal uppercut about the BS question, although he didn't say BS that I asked him, and he'll never do another interview with me, and he went on and on. Usually I've learned that if you just take it, it peters out and then you find a way to flip it into something positive. That's the one guy who I let him chew on me, and then when it was done, I thought, maybe I can flip it. No, it didn't flip, and it was never flipped. And that's my Dirk Cutter story.
Speaker 2: He's Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host and you can see that program on Peacock preceding hours. The wide receiver market here free agency wise, you got DK Metcalf, you got well Debo going to the Commanders. You got DeVante Adams going to be out there. Got a few of these players. Why all of a sudden, this flood of the market.
Speaker 6: Well, you've got older players who have contracts that no longer match their current skills and abilities and more importantly, what their projected skills and abilities are. And DeVante Adams is no surprise when he was traded to the Raiders three years ago. He did a five year contract with two and this is a technical term phony baloney back in years that were just aimed at bumping up the average. So they said, oh, he got twenty eight million dollars a year. Yeah, but the last two years of thirty five point six to four million each year. That deal was never going to go beyond year three. And if he was going to stay with the Raiders, it would have been a major redo in restructuring. But when you're with the Jets and he's not gonna do a restructuring with the Jets, Aaron Rodgers has gone. He was always going to be cut, and now he's available. He's not gonna get thirty five million a year. He'll get good money. He's still got gas in the tank, and he's available to anyone who wants to get him. And all the Jets have to show for that third round pick is eleven games during which they went three and eight, and I'm sure they'd love to get that third round pick back and have never done that trade.
Speaker 2: What's the market for Sam Darnald?
Speaker 6: Now nobody really knows, because the big question is can what Sam Darnald did last year with Kevin O'Connell drawing up the plays with Justin Jefferson, Jordan Adison and TJ. Hawkinson catching the passes. Can that be duplicated somewhere else or does he revert to the seeing ghosts Sam Donald from early in his career that Monday night game when he was with the Jets against the Patriots. So if you make a major financial investment in Donald and you can't replicate what happened in Minnesota, you made a mistake. I mean Donald, and I think a lot of it had to do with how it ended that Week eighteen game that everybody saw. He got the yips at the worst possible time, biggest game of his life, and then the Vikings didn't show up across the board in the playoff game. That's the caveat now, and I think that's why the Vikings are still kind of lurking here as they figure out. Do we go with Donald where we know what the floor is, maybe the ceiling isn't as high as we'd like, or do we go with the guy that we don't know what he's going to be because he hasn't played yet. In JJ McCarthy and I have a feeling they're really wrestling internally, people who have been dealing with the Vikings come away with the conclusion that they don't know who's running the show and calling the shots, but they're going to have to make a decision fairly soon. They might let Donald go out there and see what's available or what's not available, and then maybe whatever they have budgeted is kind of a low ball number. Maybe that's what he takes and that makes the decision for them. But there is some dismay. And if he does like a two year deal to stay in Minnesota and the Vikings say we'll just do the Aaron Rodgers, Jordan love JJ McCarthy sits for three years, I believe that's not going to go over well with McCarthy, and the next domino could be McCarthy saying I want out.
Speaker 2: Let me give you this scenario. I'd say you're the Giants and you have the third pick. You could maybe sign Sam Darnald and then take Travis Hunter, or you could go up and get cam Ward. Now I got Malik Neighbors, I'd have Travis Hunter and I have Sam Darnald. We're already a whole lot better than we were last year, and I don't have to get rid of draft camp or I can go up. I got to spend a little bit of uh, you know, draft capital to get cam Ward and I got a rookie contract here.
Speaker 4: What would you do?
Speaker 6: Well, here's the problem with the Giants. You've got an owner who's decided to keep GM, Joe Shane and Brian day ball. But the owner also said, I've just about run out of patience. So through what prison or decisions being made in New York. Is it we just got to put something together this year and get to the playoffs and we'll worry about twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven when they come, or is it we're trying to lay the foundation for a long term contender. And this is what happens with dysfunctional teams. And I got to give the Giants credit. They've somehow won a couple of Super Bowls this century, but by and large they're basically the same as the Jets, and there is dysfunction there. And the ultimate dysfunction is having coach and GM clearly on the hot seat and thus motivated to make short term decis decisions, because long term decisions don't help help us. If We're not here to see the fruits of them. That's the challenge for the organization. The best long term approach is stabilized the quarterback position for years to come. The worst long term approach is to grab this short term shiny object like Aaron Rodgers and try to put a playoff run together, and then next year it's like, what do we do?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: That's not good for the Giants over the long haul.
Speaker 2: You and Chris Simms talked to Shador Sanders. What four days ago, five days ago at the combine? What was your takeaway after the conversation?
Speaker 6: Great personality, magnetic. You can see that his dad is Deon Sanders, very worldly, kind of mature beyond his years, knows how to deal with people very well, a lot of emotional intelligence. I was impressed with him, but I knew it was going to happen. The chatter's already begun, and I think the chatter stems from one very simple fact. When we had Deon Sanders at the super I pressed him on this question of are you ever interested in coaching in the NFL? Because he's given different answers over the past couple of years about that, and he told us the only way he would ever coach in the NFL is if he was coaching his son. That creates for some coaches. I think a hesitation to ever sign off on your team drafting should ur Sanders because you might be signing your own pink slip because Dion ends up being the coach of the team that should hear Sanders goes to At least that's one of the concerns that one of these coaches would have. So I think that's where some of this noise is coming from. You've got coaches who are thinking, wait a minute, I don't want to have Deon Sanders hovering over me if we have his son as our quarterback. And I think the four D chess that Dion might be playing here. By saying what he said, you scare away the coaches of the dysfunctional teams, the coaches who would be worried about outside noise from Dion, And maybe you engineer a little slide down to a team where it is stable, it isn't dysfunctional, and the coach is sufficiently secure and confident that he's not worried about the possibility that Dion Sanders would want to become the coach of the team that his son's playing for. So it could work out well for Shador. The noise that's going to start, and it's already started, it could cause him to drop, but he could drop into a good spot, not a team with a history of derailing the careers of young quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Paulie and I have a pie to the face bet Shador Sanders over under first five and a half picks.
Speaker 6: Wow, I would say at this point he will. And I don't know what over under is. I guess it's over. I think that his window opens with the Raiders at six.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't you owe us a pie to the face?
Speaker 4: Min?
Speaker 6: I think I owe you a couple?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thanks, yeah, yeah, And I was hoping it's gotten. I know you don't want to hurt the hair, but I mean, at some point.
Speaker 6: I don't want to knock off the two pey.
Speaker 2: Your hair looks great. Thank you, just like Tom Brady's thank you. Yeah, mine's real.
Speaker 6: I don't know about his. Mine's real. My wife says from Tom to time, you should just shave your head so everyone can see it's not a two pay. I am afraid of two things. Number one, it might not grow back and number two, Dan, I am afraid that my head is misshapen, and I don't want to find out along with the rest of the world that it is not.
Speaker 2: Everybody looks like Michael Jordan with their head shaved.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 2: Scottie Pippen, I think had his head shaved one time and I was like, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. Are you gonna be at the draft in Green Bay?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I've been to the draft since the last time it was in New York. It's so much easier to work it from home because the only people at the draft are the people who run the cards to the to the podium. Now the players are there, but it had gotten harder and harder to get good access to them for interviews and stuff ahead of time. And We'll just do zoom interviews with them and I'll do it all from here. I go down to the barn and we do videos after every pick and it's much more effective here.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you once again. All three of Mike's novels, Father of Mine, Son of Mine, and On Our Way Home just ninety nine cent ebooks on Amazon. Thank you, Michael, Thanks Dan, Mike Florium.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: He is Jim Jackson joining us on the program. Jim, thanks for joining us. How you doing today?
Speaker 4: Thank you? I'm good man.
Speaker 5: Sorry about that man, West Coast time got me all.
Speaker 4: Messed up, man, No worry. Hey, we got a big We got a big w last night with the clips. I will still celebrate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, James Harden, James Harden goes for fifty. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, it was one of those games, excuse me, where we didn't know what to expect coming off a tough loss against Phoenix up twenty twenty three. Kevin rand Brooker kind of did that thing in the third fourth quarter and no Kawhi, but James Doug deep man, I mean thirty eight plus minutes again and uh, the role players played well.
Speaker 4: Bogdanovich really started to fit into a role.
Speaker 5: And it's tough Dan, as you know, trade deadline, integrating new faces kind of you know, Drew you Banks is in there, Patty Mills, It's it's just it's a little bit different, but it was it was a great overall victory, needed it for a team that wants to stay above that cut line at six for the upcoming playoffs.
Speaker 2: Best duo in the NBA right now is.
Speaker 4: Luca and Lebron, which is which is scary?
Speaker 5: I mean, because Luca is starting to fit in and trying to figure it out and Lebron is acquiescing to allowing him to now initiate the offense, handle the ball, and it's only going may get better. And I think the biggest probably beneficiary probably is Jackson Hayes because now you have two playmakers that are able to attract defense, lobby to the rim, give you some other opportunities. So I think that team is in the West because of what's happened with Minnesota. I think Memphis is going to have some little bit of issues going down the stretch that the Lakers put themselves in prime time position to be a threat to ok See.
Speaker 2: We were talking about it seems to be open season on Lebron. Analyst broadcasters have no problem being critical of Lebron, and I said, you know, granted, no social media with Michael Jordan, but let's say this was reversed. Let's say Lebron came before Michael Jordan. Would we be holding on to Lebron the way a lot of people hold on to Michael that Lebron all time leading scorer, like all the numbers that he has, and it Mike comes along and win six titles in the first thirteen years. Would we be so quick to say Mike is now better than Lebron if it was reversed.
Speaker 5: That's a great question because you know the narrative around Lebron. It's very interesting because well, I'm gonna say this. I think we're critical in today's world on a lot of stuff depending on what we like and what we.
Speaker 4: Prefer, and it depends on too.
Speaker 5: It's I think it's it's not only Lebron and the basketball side's other things outside of basketball. Okay, the whole Miami issue when he chose to go down to Miami when it was to cleave back to Cleveland now to La all that plays into more than just basketball. Mike did the same thing, and we judged on Lebron just being with Chicago. Then at the end of the year he retired and came back and went to Washington. I think we were judged the same kind of way. If Lebron had Jordan's mentality back in the day, and Mike had Lebron's with regards to playing more like.
Speaker 4: A magic I think we would do that.
Speaker 5: And that's the unfortunate part is that to me, greatness only comes along so often. We've been blessed Tom Brady, a Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan. Now we see Lebron, James and Steph Curry. Guys like this don't come along but when they do in today's world. But we did it with Mike, though they did it with Mike early in his career. They really nitpicked that Mike a lot about he's not able to win a championship the way he plays.
Speaker 4: Let's not forget that now.
Speaker 5: It wasn't blasted across mainstream news as much because we had newspapers. We had talk shows, but not a plethora of talk shows radio wise. Sports Center was kind of the main entity with regards to how we got our information and downloads sports. So he was criticized, but it was all relative to that era. Lebron is criticized relative to his era, which is social media and all the other platforms individually, collectively and as a corporations and that's why we get all of this I think backlash for or towards him.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jim Jackson, Fox Turner, NBA college basketball analyst, clips and the Knicks coming up tomorrow night, also USC UCLA coming up on Saturday. It's still hard to explain Steph Curry because you know, if you never saw him, and I would say, there's this guy. Might be six', three not necessarily, FAST i don't, know maybe, quick not a great, jumper but he's the greatest shooter in the history of the. Game like somebody would, go there's no.
Speaker 4: Way no, way no, way no.
Speaker 2: Way it's what's the one thing we should really let's. Share you're a younger, player, right what should you focus on With Steph? Curry that if you want to be able to, shoot not like, him but you want to be able to be a really good shooter or get your shot.
Speaker 5: Up his, footwork his footwork is phenomenal for how much he, moves because it's different when you have the ball in your, hand you can, rhythm, dribble get your feet, set create some space and. Shoot but how much he, moves whether that's in transition and half, court off of, picks so is fundamental things to, me, one his footwork in high squares his. Body, now he's gotten so good as a. Shooter sometimes he can turn his right shoulder and it's pointing towards the, rim and a lot of times they don't teach you. That but as a, shooter he's become so much more comfortable with. That he can get away with it where a lot of players. Can now the form, release how he uses his, legs that's one, Thing but his basic fundamentals of his footwork is. Phenomenal know of how he can run, fast gather his, feet get him squared, up and then explode into a. Shot to, me that's where the basis is. At and to your point, too About, steph think about. THIS i think the reason why he resonates so well is because he looks like anybody else can do it a Lah A Caitlyn. Clark the reason Why caitlyn And steph are so much alike is because here are smaller, individuals not as.
Speaker 4: Athletic they look like somebody.
Speaker 5: Walking down the street that just picks up a ball and goes play rect. League, okay but yet when they get on the, court they have this killer. Instinct they have something different about. Them and that's not saying that if they're the. Best, okay that's not saying that they're the, best but that the best at what they, do and that residates with everyday people and it's a reason why they're so popular and they're really good people. Too So steph is again one of my favorites ever to watch and add a chance institute when we Played Golden state now The clippers at home to kind of just briefly talk to him before the game and just set as a basketball fan and a former, player how MUCH i appreciate what he's brought to the game just from a pure basketball, perspective the, fun the love that he has and he, shows and to continue to do it as long as he, can Because i'm a big fan AND i love to watch.
Speaker 2: It final thirty. Seconds you can Have Steph curry's career Or Kevin Durant's.
Speaker 4: I'm taking Steps oh, okay, YEAH.
Speaker 2: I mean a little too quick, there.
Speaker 5: No, no because the SCORING i Mean Kevin durant is one of my favorite.
Speaker 4: PLAYERS i mean.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable but the Way steph has been able to get it done, again two different, people to different, situations two different organizations at the beginning. Out maybe if they were have kept okay see, together more, championships more, continuity that might be a different. Answer but, today What steph has been able to do and win with one, team that's what you want as a player because that's your legacy With Golden state And i'll take that in a.
Speaker 3: Heartbeat could you talk to us? Always thanks for making, toys all, right you got, it. Brother That's Jim. Jackson