Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Waken Jake.
Speaker 2: Myself, Jake's Story, Ellie, producer, Big Baby, David Mendelssohn.
Speaker 1: We'll cover a.
Speaker 2: Little bit of baseball today. Let's be honest, it's kind of football season. We had some college football games, bring us into the weekend wild card weekend of the NFL. We'll chew through all of that, and we'll tease you with the little baseball because it could be a big week. Roki Sasaki Week is here. That's gonna get one team very excited and a lot of teams probably angry. Your boy Jeff Hoffman signed with the Blue Jays pretty significant.
Speaker 1: And you know I'm not missing that.
Speaker 2: Andrew Kittridge signing to Baltimore. God, that's seventh inning, watch out Crossfire. He's actually pretty good, So I don't know why I'm talking like that. Let's do some baseball quick. It'll be a football heavy episode. Thank you guys for being a part of Waken Jake. And if you're subscribing, cool, We appreciate all of that. So let's do some baseball quick. It's Sasaki Week? What does that mean for you? Roki Sasaki will get posted at midnight the fourteenth, which is technically the fifteenth. That one's always thrown me off. How do you say that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's on the fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Twelve, a m of the fifteenth eligible to sign again, and it's just gonna be a massive move for whatever team gets them. We did a talk and Yanks deep dive on it, and I'll just use some anecdotal examples because you'll have them for your team. But if the Yankee sign Roki Sasaki, which I blindly for some reason think will happen, maybe that's just fandom. We'll walk through that in a second. But if the Yankee signed Roky Saki, they probably they're definitely training Marcus Stroman, which we've dreamt of as part of their offseason anyways.
Speaker 1: But then you know, is a.
Speaker 2: Luis Heil Clark Schmidt would be on the table, probably for a different bat in the lineup. Like you have just locked up six years of a cost controlled guy.
Speaker 1: Who's supposed to be a dude. Uh, he's at.
Speaker 2: Least one a with Yamamoto, and Yamamoto got three hundred million dollars and I think I think he's a little younger, and I think there's more upside in his arm talent like v low stuff if you will, and just the fact that he's built like a traditional starting pitcher, you know, Yamamoto. There was all this wait to see a little guy? Is he Tim Lindsea? Come, what's going on here? Well, our guy, Roki Sasaki is listed.
Speaker 1: Listed. Wow, no website for him? Height, I'm seeing six ' four comes up.
Speaker 2: It's okay. Now I'm seeing another six to two. Call him sixty three.
Speaker 1: Split the gap.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he's big, he's got velo, he can touch triple digits and it's a fun part of his free agency that supposedly he's very vested in improving, which maybe that sounds dumb.
Speaker 1: But he's young.
Speaker 2: God, what year is he born? That's gonna make me mad? Is he at two thousands?
Speaker 1: Is everyone at two thousand?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Do I just need to get over that?
Speaker 3: Looks like his date of birth is November third, two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so that's good. He's twenty three years old. So he's doing it the Otani route if you remember otanih he's basically getting international signing pool money, probably around seven mil. And then he's essentially a rookie with options, so you'll have him throughout his ARB ers his pre ARB years and again has similar to Yamamoto, who had a three flat ERA. If you only saw his first start of the year, I'm sorry for you. Last year it was like one of the first games of the year, so I kind of get it. We were at the airport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're you know, Korea Gameya.
Speaker 2: Moto is great last year. Go check out the numbers. Anyways, this guy is a game changer. Uh, if you're into the nerdy side of baseball and how you're building a team and how you're spending your money, is a massive asset.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, there's an argument he's the most valuable asset in free agency.
Speaker 1: Uh, we could do that another day if we wanted to.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you could be getting a top of the rotation starter for the next chunk of years for the price of essentially on the house, and you're probably gonna reallocate other assets to improve your team. So it seems like it's the Dodgers because everything seems like it's the Dodgers. It's the Dodgers until it's not. There's interesting arguments on both sides. With the Dodgers, you know, would you want to be with two other stars of Japan with shohe who's the star of the world, and Yamamoto, you know, and there's other teams that also have Japanese stars. The Cubs they have Saya and Nimnaga. The Padres have you Darvish that supposedly is idol. So there's you can start stripping it either way, and it just depends who the person is, Like, does he, you know, does he want to travel and eat dinners with people he could easily communicate with and kind of grow grew up with and knows a little bit. Yeah, I could absolutely see that. Does he want to be his own star? The New York Yankees haven't signed a Japanese player, uh since Masahiro Tanaka. So if he thinks he's the guy and he wants to come to New York and do the whole thing, whoa, I mean, he will have eyeballs on him and an exciting, riveted fan base coming off the World Series. And you know, quote unquote losing Soto, I guess I didn't need a quote unquo quote that felt Yankee Fanish. We did lose Soto, and that's fine. We went to different directions. But Roki would really cover up that wound. And so the other teams in play. I mentioned the Cubs, Blue Jays supposedly are in play on everyone, the Texas Rangers, there's one or two others. We'll see what it'll come down to. And it's just interesting. What does he want? Is the being on the West coast matter like it has for a lot of Japanese baseball players because the need like to think it's San Diego and the Dodgers for San Diego, I mean for the nightmare of the offseason slash what their team is turning into as they're fighting for ownership. They haven't made really any transactions this offseason. Getting six years of a cost controlled potential ACE would be massive for them. This was the team that was up two to one against those Dodgers with a chance to beat them in the division series. That their offseason would almost be complete, like incredible. So let's see what happens. Uh. The potential signing could start, like I said, midnight on Wednesday, which is the end of Tuesday for a lot of people, and then that opens up an eight day window for him to sign. So we will be getting that news coming up. The thing that is fun and It's part of the reason I've talked myself into the Yankees a little bit. And I have to preface this, and I think this was already like clipped out and stuff. So if Socials is in here, chill out, yo. That Like, if it's not the Dodgers, which it could be the Dogs, it could be a layup. The Dodgers are crushing, they just won the World Series. Show has there seems like he's having a blastyam mootos there seem like he's having a good time. It's a squad, You're gonna be really good. They've been a pitching factory. That, Yeah, this could all be for not if you will, if it's not the Dodgers, because the other side of that, say, he wants to be his own star, and let's say he doesn't want to be like the sixth guy in a rotation. Maybe he wants to be the dude that if these other teams are in play San Diego, sure you, Darvish is there. Apparently that's his idol. West Coast cool all about it. Only problem is what are the Padres going to be? That's a really tough division. What's going on with the ownership group? Are they gonna spend more money. Is their money spent like what as a pitching As far as a pitching factory go, I mean San Diego has been fine. I don't think when you think of the teams that jump to mind, I don't think San Diego jumps to the forefront. I mean they've had strong pitching in general. They are like good at player development. I'm not sure if that reputation. I'm not sure if that.
Speaker 3: Reputation persists at the MLB level, but they always I feel like, turn guys in well regarded prospects at the very least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It feels like they've brought in good pitchers who have been good. Interesting, But that is the the fun part about this for Roki Sasaki is he cares very much about getting better and signing with one of the pitching factories and becoming better because when he if he waited two more years, he would have gotten the Yamamoto s contract three hundred mil, four hundred mil. Who knows where money's at in two years. Instead, he's going through the grind five to six years MLB ball, and then he will hit free agency proper or get a contract that he's looking for one of these teams at age twenty nine or something like that, and who knows where money's at then, So if he plays his cards right, look at Showhy slightly different, but he played his card right, cards right and got seven hundred mil, which never really made sense, but it did. And now Sodo's getting more money. So maybe that's the play. And I think you'd want to be an environment that you know we're going to be playing good baseball, and that's where I think the Yankees do have a legitimate chance.
Speaker 1: You can be the star of all stars.
Speaker 2: You know, the Yankees have had a history of this, going back to Matsui Tanaka. It is the Yankees, the Yankees of all their faults, all their faults.
Speaker 1: What's that about? Salty Jake comes out?
Speaker 2: They had their worst season in thirty years in twenty twenty three, they were above five hundred. So you're ensuring that you are going to be part of a very good baseball team for the upcoming five or six years on various scales. And the Yankees have been a bit of a pitching factory. Matt Blake, the pitching coach. They've tapped into a ton of relievers, look what Michael King turned into now in the Padres, Like they have really done a great job. I mean Clay Holmes was a throw in for a quadruple a player of sorts and they turned him into a closer for a couple of years. Should he have been the closer. That's a discussion for another time. But it's the point of they definitely can hit the pitching. They have done well tapping into pitchers. They're going to be a good baseball team. And some of the other teams on the list, I don't know what I can guarantee you. So it's probably the Dodgers. I think the Padres are even second in the clubhouse, but I think the Yankees are there, and then like Cubs. Hey, maybe this is their ace in the hole. Maybe his boys with Imanaga and Suzuki. He's heard great things about Chicago in the summertime.
Speaker 1: Who hasn't that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's going to significantly impact the team, not only because are you getting probably one hundred and fifty hundred and sixty innings of a potential star pitcher, but you're also going to be able to reallocate other assets into improving your team. Uh that Yeah, we're going to be getting on that in the upcoming week. It's going to significantly change the outlook for one baseball team. And if you remember Sigano who signed, he hit it off with the Orioles, no connections to Baltimore. I don't know how he felt about the city going in. Maybe he's a Ravens guy, maybe like Sterrick Henry. He didn't say that. He said he hit it off with their pitching crew, like their pitching department. So we could see one of those come out of the woodwork that maybe he wants to be at a stadium that fits his pitching style the best, the right coaches, the right teammates. It's gonna be exciting and it is one of the more impactful moves of this free agency. So that'll drop this week. The other one, like I mentioned, Jeff Hoffman signed with the Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool. He was drafted by them years ago.
Speaker 2: And I always think it's interesting to be like, you know, when you're a first round draft pick, you know you're instantly telling yourself, like, yeah, I'm gonna sign with this team. They're gonna put my number in the rafters and all that fun stuff. Different path for Jeff Hoffman, but he timed up his free agency well. There was a cool uh Bryce Harper connection in there that got him linked with Philly that allowed him to take off and become an All Star last year. One of the best relievers in baseball that he definitely hit that. Okay, former starter, more success as a reliever, has a pitch mix. Can we make him a starter? So we'll see what Toronto does with that. They do have somewhat full rotation. You're gonna use Jeff Hoffman. Fangrafts currently has him listed in the bullpen, and I would wonder what came back with his shoulder injury review, because the URLs supposedly offered him forty million dollars and he turned that down, and they have a little bit of a history of that. Dalton was running hot in the streets this morning talking about how they've turned down over the years. Let's see, I just had the listen Gai Air Jurgens. Of course in twenty thirteen, Grant Ball four, Tyler, Colvin Bronson, Arroyo, Giovanni Gallardo. I mean, a lot of those are close to a decade old, so I wouldn't say it's a trend. But yeah, he gets three years for thirty three. He was hoping to get around three for thirty eight. That's what Clay Holmes got, as the Mets are going to try to convert him while also using him in the bullpen, similar to Jordan Hicks the previous year. A couple funny connections, Jeff Hoffman got the same exact contract as Robert Stevenson got a couple of years ago. They were traded for each other at one point, and Jeff Hoffman and Jordan Romano changed teams and similar deals. So the former closer of the Blue Jays goes over to Philly, the reliever for the Phillies goes over to Toronto. Uh, they get a move in and for Baltimore, it's interesting to know they think they need more pitching, And again, how are they gonna use Jeff Hoffman in a swing roll maybe start to start the year and end up in the bullpen instead? They audible to Andrew Kittridge, former Raise reliever pitch really well for Saint Louis last year. He got a real contract to pitch for them ten mil, nine mil something like that. So yeah, so the Orioles a couple alies pitching moves. The Baltimore Orioles, who I continue to talk myself in and out of every day because I do value having a lockdown closer and Felix Bautista coming back. He was that in a very special way when he pitched for them. Now with Kittridge, they add the Philly guys, Sir Anthony Dominguez, Gregory Soto, Yenny your Cano is in there. Keegan Aiken had a good year. The Oriols have a nice bullpen. They have enough starting options that something should be figured out there that I all this excitement over the Boston Red Sox. I think Oriole's excitement is going to pick up. Let's see what happens with Santan Dare and free agency, but I think Baltimore is gonna be back this year in Toronto. Speaking of Santander, what else are they gonna do to try to help out Bow and Vladdie for one more year again? You can partially talk yourself into their rotation. You could partially talk yourself into their bullpen. The lineup you kind of can't right now. But if Laddie can be MVP of Laddie, if Bashett can bounce back one or two other pieces in that lineup could make it impactful. Good for Jeff Offman, currently listed as the closer for your Toronto Blue Jay, so let's see how they roll him out for next season. That's kind of your baseball what's up in the streets for now, still waiting on Pete Braggy Santander, has Soong, Kim, Jack Flaherty sures are. There's a couple other pitchers out there full pension Piveta of course, and some more bullpen arms. So as we a month to go or so till pitchers and catchers, jerks and profar will not be left out unless he is. Let's see what comes with that. But it's time to talk football people. It was a massive football weekend for some the best football weekend of the year. I would argue this upcoming weekend, wild card weekend usually has a few blowouts, and we saw that and you'll get the college notional title National title game. Is that how you talk, Jake uh kind of? That kind is how I talk. Let's do NFL first, because I think people probably care about that a little more. Although it's not in chronological order, you know that stings.
Speaker 1: But it's probably.
Speaker 2: Easier to make your way through because on Saturday, the Chargers face off with the Texans. Texans not hot in the streets. We talked about it a little bit like from where they were with Stroud with one of the best rookie seasons ever, and these Texans are set up DeMarco.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the.
Speaker 2: Seemingly coolest, sexiest young head coaches in the league, Bobby Slowik at offensive coordinator. It sounded like he was turning down jobs last offseason. The Texans became unsexy this season to the fact that the Chargers on the road were three point favorites, and they come out, they put up a six spot and then Harbaugh got put in that SpongeBob Dirty Bubble. Do you know what that's about, are you?
Speaker 3: One of the Nickelodeon games? And Dirty Bubble came and snatched Tarbon. Then it all fell off, fell apart for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: The whole thing thirty two to six, the rest away for your Texans. Justin Herbert, who had been judicious with the ball had three interceptions during the radio season, had four in this game. Chargers couldn't run the ball and didn't order a lot of runs. Dobbins with nine carries for twenty six gusp bus with seven for twenty two no action on the ground where the Texans ended up finding it and kind of icing the game with Joe Mixon showing his head again twenty five carries for one zero six in a touchdown. The Texans day was awesome. They were all over Herbert and and they just took control of this game and a proud kind of Texans franchise at home dogs and Rex Ryan was talking trash and they kept the receipts on that crazy what this game turned into six nothing, Chargers ten six at the half and then Houston just steamrolled them thirty two to twelve seven one two for Nico Collins, he's he's really awesome. That has people questioning like, wait, are the Texans did they save something for this postseason? Stroud finding it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think there's a case that.
Speaker 2: The Chargers aren't that good. I think it's the cases they had a lot of harbaw juice this year that turned around the team. And Herbert is solid and Ladd McConkie's very good. After Ladd McConkie skill wise, I think the Chargers are a little thin so it's a massive building year for them to get back to the playoffs win season. You have Herbert, his playoff woes are ugly, and everyone want to make sure everyone talks about that.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Let's see if they can get back there next year, and let's see if they can build on that. But yeah, I think another wide receiver, a tight end, or a more dangerous running back and the Chargers would be a much scarier team for next season. The other game that day, Ravens Stillers, happened fast. Ravens go up twenty one to nothing in the first half. There was some crazy stats. The Steelers were just completely outclassed. I think there was something like the Ravens had more first downs and the Steelers had plays in the first half, something along those lines. I don't think that was right, but it's one of those stats that you hear and you're like, whoa, that is right.
Speaker 1: Credit to the Steelers a little bit.
Speaker 2: They showed a bit of fight coming out in the second half that I think, you know, Michaels, al Michaels and Herbstreet were laughing on the broadcast that they were like, you know, this is a blowout, this is ugly and then they changed their tone to the they're a possession away from being a possession away. That's a good way of That's a very nice way of phrasing it for a Steelers team that didn't really have a chance against one of the class teams in football and the AFC. The Baltimore ravens Lamar has a very strong playoff game. He was running it so much. Fifteen carries total eighty one yards, King henry Man twenty six carries for a buck eighty six. He had one hundred in the first half. I mean, that's just just bizarre. We've gotten too comfortable with what he is continuing to do. No crazy receiving. I mean, Zay Flowers didn't play in this game for Baltimore, and Lamar just spread the ball out that no one had really a crazy game, but no one had a bad game. Leaves Pittsburgh kind of wondering what are their next steps at quarterbacks? Some people questioning the head coach. I mean, I think Tomlin is sure of a thing as you can have. It just feels like they haven't had good quarterback playing so long. So will they continue to go stopgap options? Will someone come available that can be more of a solution, whether in the draft or Donald or.
Speaker 1: Something like that. We will see.
Speaker 2: And Baltimore goes on to play the game of next weekend that we'll talk about in a second.
Speaker 1: So that was Saturday.
Speaker 2: It's pretty disappointing, like to see Raven's chart, Raven Steelers land at twenty eight to fourteen. That's not what that game was. It was twenty one nothing and the first game didn't really have the juice either.
Speaker 1: That led us to Saturday.
Speaker 2: And my Denver Broncos put on my Terrell Davis jersey little big on me audible to my Brian Greasy jersey fits pretty well, h slash, a little uncomfortable. If I had like children's football pads on, I think it would look great. Not gonna wear a lot of those. Uh there's a tebow jersey too, but that's holidays. And here come the Denver Broncos. Sean Payton coaching him up.
Speaker 1: First drive. What did he see?
Speaker 2: Troy Franklin the first ever rookie to rookie playoff.
Speaker 1: Touchdown in NFL history? How do you like that?
Speaker 2: As bon Nicks hits him for the deep ball, it's seven to nothing. Broncos get ready.
Speaker 1: For a fight Buffalo. This was all the pregame shows.
Speaker 2: Hey the Broncos might, the Broncos could. It's Sean Payton bone Nicks has been playing better. The Broncos defense the most sacks in the league. Like you're coming up with an upset formula playing defense getting in the quarterback's face.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: That was all the Bill's going to score the next thirty one points. James Cook has been awesome for them out of the backfield. I think they're starting to call him Jimbo in audible to that if we need to one hundred and twenty yards and a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Curtis Samuel felt like he killed.
Speaker 2: My fantasy teams for two seasons, but he has the longest touchdown of the weekend. Shakir with a really solid game. Starting to like him a lot. He's gonna probably ruin some fantasy teams next year.
Speaker 1: For me, that's rude. He could be great.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they spread the ball around, Josh Allen running for it when they needed it, and yeah, again I think there was I think the problem with wildcard weekend, especially now that there's only two teams that get a bye, is that let's say there's five elite teams in a given NFL season. Okay, so two of them have a bye. That means three of those teams are going to be playing wildcard weekend round numbers all around here. The Broncos are just in a different class. The Broncos are nice. They won games that I didn't think they'd win this year, but the majority of their games are against ugly teams. Broncos wins. I'll go down the line Buccaneers Week three, so we're going back then it's Jets, Raiders, Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Raiders, Browns, Colts, and then they beat the Chiefs, who didn't play their players, So the Broncos. It's a weird thing with the NFL and finding that that middle area. The only playoff team the Broncos beat were the Buccaneers in Week three. Yes, they beat the Chiefs, they didn't play their starters. So from where the Broncos were from benching Russ to make sure he doesn't hit part of his contract goals to where they are now, it's a massive turnaround. Excited for some Bronco football next year. Bonix seems like, seems like the responsive military man that Sean Payton needs and it's gonna be interesting to see where they take this team. So that was the start. Obviously, was looking for a little more fight out of the horses, but not shocked at the results. What was I think people were hoping was the game of the weekend was Packers Eagles. Eagles, and Eagles come out and they play some Eagle football. They go up ten to nothing in the first Johan Dotson with the first TD, A couple tough first TD scores this weekend if that's your lane on the DraftKings sportsbook. And then they get the shorty field goal, look like they were gonna punch it in again, but it's ten to nothing. And then the game just felt so ugly. No scoring in the second quarter, but the Eagles were dominating the game. They're talking about on the broadcast. They were saying it felt like it the Eagles should be up like seventy three. Nothing, little harsh, but they were in control. Packers missed a field goal in the first half. Mc mann just makes want to start midway through the second half that you're like, Okay, it's a ten to three game. Wait, is this Eagles thing just gonna implode on itself? Like we've kind of seen before, like is this gonna take a turn on? Sirianni and the Eagles offense just looks so clunky for a couple possessions. No, Dallas god Her with a man touchdown just did a short on it that might be out before or after you're watching this. Truck stick, double stiff arm, Josh Jacobs with a couple man runs of his own, My God, carrying bodies, guy hanging onto a shirt and it didn't rip, so he's just dragging guy in a shirt. That was kind of that. It was still a one score game. It was sixteen to ten Eagles field goal, Eagles field goal run out.
Speaker 1: The clock wasn't pretty.
Speaker 2: Sometimes with the Eagles it's not, but their defense is disgusting. In Saquon, it's where the Eagles are frustrating. It feels like they could hand it off to him every play and win football games pretty easily, and they don't do that. Aj Brown reading on the sideline that was interesting. Everyone was like, Okay, is this is this for show? What's the book? Turns out it's like a good motivational book and he said he reads it every game and this was the first time he got caught.
Speaker 1: So what's that about.
Speaker 2: Eagles take care of the Packers. Packers Jordan Love three interceptions. Nobody really knows what to do with the Packers. Like Josh Jacobs had a monster year.
Speaker 1: That was cool.
Speaker 2: They had a bunch of wide receivers get hurt throughout this game and before the game with Watson. Next year is going to be a very interesting year because I mentioned, you know, okay, if the Broncos are middle class, the top tier teams, the Eagles, the Ravens, Chiefs, you know, there's a couple more the top tier teams. It feels like the Packers are somewhere in the middle. But we don't know if they should be lumped up or lumped down. This kind of team hasn't shown us they should be lumped up that I don't know. It'll be an interesting pivot peer pivot year even for the pack next year.
Speaker 1: Some on your heart, there beabs.
Speaker 3: I just thought you might want to know. San Francisco Giants have been told they will not sign Roki Sasaki. Okay, so he's ruling out teams, and the Giants are the first ones in this cycle that we're being told are ruled out.
Speaker 1: Tough for Giants fans.
Speaker 2: Why are we doing it like that?
Speaker 1: It's crazy. It's gonna be two teams at once. Giant, It's no.
Speaker 3: Apparently that was brought up at justin Verlanders presser with the Giants that I think is happening now, and the gm got asked about all that. Okay, so they don't know when they got informed exactly, but did it on their own terms. Okay, they got an in person meeting and have now been told.
Speaker 1: Though you'd like to think he knows where he's signing. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Your final game again, After kind of a tough NFL Sunday, that Eagles Packers game was clunky, even though it got close for a second there, Commanders Bucks. I think everyone was kind of hoping for a shootout here. Two kind of shoddy defenses Baker against Jaden Daniels in Tampa. A big Washington crowd in Tampa who got to see their commanders win. Jade and Daniels doing things rookie has never done before. He ends up two touchdown passes twenty four or thirty five. He also had the most carries and rushing yards on the team, first rookie to lead in passing and rushing in a game. You know, the rushing numbers aren't impressive, but he did get the big fourth down to ice the game when they needed it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, this was this was playoff football.
Speaker 2: There was something like it felt like the big plays weren't gonna happen. It felt like stars were doing it in moments Mike Evans when they needed a big play. Bucky was starting to kick in a gear in that second half. Scary Terry McLaurin with a couple big plays, but the one that's gonna haunt Bucks fans for a while. They got a little cheeky trying to do a wide receiver end a round play that the timing was just off on football bumps into the wide receiver. McMillan balls out, Washington jumps on it. If you are a baseball person listening to this, you're not sure what to do with football. If you're a football person, Jayden daniels Man, I don't. It was awesome to watch him play at LSU, and that's what rope him in. There's a couple interviews that wrote me into also just his general running style, you know, finding out a little bit about the guy. You're like, yeah, it seems like a cool dude whatever, he's the man he uh. Before the big third down to ice the game, they brought in Marcus Mariota to do a trick play hard count and Jaden Daniels is at running back, so this star quarterback he goes in motion from the running back position and Mariota.
Speaker 1: They don't draw off sides, they.
Speaker 2: Call time out and uh, Jayden Daniels, there's a cut of him laughing with the bucks d line like he's just giggling and it's not okay. So Bay on the other side, other side has had moments where people think it's a little over the top.
Speaker 3: He's rubbed some people the wrong way over the years.
Speaker 2: A great way to put it, it feels like it feels like Jaden Daniels has the traits where you'd say the word like you could say, Jaden Daniels is cocky, but it's never rubbed anyone the wrong way and he just has fun and he's just himself. That on that final third down that they ended up picking up after the Mariota fake snap count, he stiff arms a two hundred eighty pound defensive line and Clancy, who is having an awesome game, and he does it with ease and his blood pressure never rises. It always seems like he does the right thing. In his postgame interview, Bobby Wagner, who's a Hall of Famer Seattle, you know those Seattle defenses, like Bobby Wagner, he's he's going into the Hall. He's now playing for Washington and he's been huge for them on defense. Well arguably a legend of the game. He's the one that recovered the fumble and he's Jane Daniels is doing the interview with after the game and he's like, they asked him about Bobby Wagner. He's like, yeah, he he fell on the ball, like he was. He was kind of joshing. It's just like not poking in prodden. But you know, he he obviously knew that he's talking about an inner circle Hall of Famer that has made their defense a serviceable playoff defense. He's within earshot and you know he could have gone rookie quarterback in front of a microhne. Yeah, you know that's Bobby Wagner, and what a play by him to get it done. And he goes, uh, yeah, Bobby fell on the ball. If you're looking for a guy to like. I think Jay Daniels is that guy. The way he plays, who he is off the field, personality, he's all of it. So that's why the DMV Washington area is so excited about him. They get the win, and that sets up, well, there's a game tonight Minnesota LA essentially a pick them. The game is in Arizona because of the LA wildfires, which that's just crazy. Minnesota it's where football can just win. Is Minnesota is coming off their worst game. It's to the Lions, Donald look bad and it's like, okay, so is this how the Donald fairytale ends? Like could you not see tomorrow morning? It's like, damn Donald and the Vikings ran out of steam. They're playing an LA team that's playing with a little more of an edge. Their young d line has picked it up, they've got both their receivers. They've played better when those guys have been out there and gets it done. Maybe they're playing with for for La a little bit, which is crazy and you don't, you know, you don't want to tie stuff like that with sports, but it does. Or could you see the Vikings where motivation kicks in and it's like, hey, you know they got beat up by the Lions going into their playoff game. That gave tall, handsome coach Kevin O'Connell a week to coach them up, coach them hard, and make the right game plan. You'd absolutely see both of those happening. So another one that I think if you laid out the slate for this playoff weekend, you would have said that probably has a top two or three chance Minnesota and the Rams of having one of the best games of the weekend. So hopefully we get that tonight and we'll be able to tee it up more. But the winner of that game will go on to face Philadelphia, which either of those fan bases will have a little bit of hope. More so the Vikings, I think if they win, but not if the Rams win and Stafford looks good and McVeigh in LA like, you'll be able to talk yourself into either of those teams. Otherwise, on Saturday, a tradition unlike any other, Houston will play Kansas City. Yeah, Kansas City twenty four days off. Going into that game, Yeah, pretty wild, Andy Reid and I it'll be it's just gonna be interesting on that one, Like, are they gonna be fully prepped and in playoff mode. This is a team that waited for the postseason. They did it last year to us. That's the Saturday game on Sunday, Baltimore and Buffalo. Those are two. It's everything you want. Those are two super Bowl teams with MVP candidates like that has a chance to be the game of the year before even teeing up the next weekend's game or the Super Bowl. And Washington goes to Detroit, which I hope that's fun. Detroit should roll them. They're dominant, their defense looks like they're getting healthy, and they just did that to Minnesota. Jayden's got a little bit of the magic magic sauce, and don't be surprised if that game turns out being very fun, a playoff shootout of sorts that puts Jayden fully kind of on the national stage. So that was your NFL weekend. I'm trying to get you guys college football because the last time we spoke, those games were still yet to happen, and it led us into the weekend, which if you were a football head, you had yourself a good weekend.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame Penn State.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is why people talk about stuff right when it happens, because this game does feel forever ago.
Speaker 1: This was Thursday.
Speaker 2: Wo Yeah, Notre Dame versus Penn State. Penn State came out and they felt like the better team, and they were starting to get it going on the lines and they were getting pretty dominant. They get a field goal, a fourteen play drive twenty yard field goal, so they come up a little short there. Then they run it in fifteen plays ninety yards and it's like, oh man, they are dominating the ball. The Notre Dame defense looks tired. They haven't been able to drum up anything on offense. Notre Dame gets the field goal before the half. Jeter, we like that. Notre Dame comes out of the half and they look like a different squad.
Speaker 1: The touchdown to tie it ten to ten.
Speaker 2: They get the touchdown to take the lead at seventeen to ten. Both running backs. I think there was NFL running backs on the field for this game, with Jeremiah Love, Nicholas Singleton, k Tron Allen Even. I think a Nias Williams. I believe he's a true freshman in a couple of years. The big tight end Tyler Warren out there doing his damn Is to make plays. You will see him a lot on NFL Sundays. The problem might have been, you won't see a lot of Penn state wide receivers on NFL Sundays. No catches from Penn state wide receivers was the going away kind of hot take from this one. Notre Dame, they scored a touchdown after two Nick Singleton rushing touchdowns. In the fourth great House defender slipped and fell fifty four yard touchdown beats twenty four to twenty four. This was a fun college football game.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It felt like Penn State might have just been the better team and Big ten and all of that jazz, and then Notre Dame fought back and there's kind of contrasting styles of play. It's everything you want in a college football game. And then, unfortunately for Penn State fans, Drew Aller with an interception that'll be remembered in Happy Valley for a long time. They have the ball there in an area of the field you just can't make the mistake, and he goes through his progressions and he's laid on it and it just felt like it was happening in slow motion. Interception gives Notre Dame. The ball back gives Jeter another kick at it, and they win that game. Awesome for college football. I've gone on a couple rants to people like I don't believe sports are fake because it's my whole existence. But there's ten percent of me that's like, maybe stuff gets rigged and maybe this is all AI or something. Notre Dame Penn State to have that kind of game in this new college playoff format, which reminder is a whole tie into the playoff format. I know college football had some duds, but this game was great and these two teams would not have linked up previously. So that's a win. And I mean, just getting the Notre Dame fan base for college football huge.
Speaker 1: So that led into.
Speaker 2: Friday Friday Day night, thinking that we just might Ohio State versus Texas Texas forever my friend. And again Ohio State has turned into the heavy favorite in the gambling world and in this world that they come out. Speaking of NFL running backs, they there's a couple in this game.
Speaker 1: Judkins.
Speaker 2: He gets the first touchdown in the first quarter, and again like Texas is in survival mode. It's like you're watching Ohio State and they clearly feel like the better team. They get a penalty on their next drive and it ends up being the theme of their next few drives. They constantly were setting themselves back second in twenty four second and twenty that Texas.
Speaker 1: They put a.
Speaker 2: Drive together right before the half, a nice wheel route touchdown pass to Jaden Blue fun name that Texas ties it up at seven going into the half. There's twenty nine seconds left. You know, in college football with timeouts in the first down, that's a lot of times that if Ohio State and their wide receivers can could put a couple passes together that you could get a field goal. Look right, Texas sends the blitz with everyone else in deep coverage, and Ohio State draws up a screenplay that'll be remembered in Columbus for a long time. Traveon Henderson seventy five yards. Texas. That felt like they survived. They survived. They were going to go into halftime tied with this team that they didn't really have ground to stand on early on, but then they were finding it like their defense was playing better. I know the Ohio State penalties were happening, but penalties happened when the other team is also making place like that's how you get holding penalties. That screen pass, it felt like it was over and it still wasn't. Texas in the third quarter another touchdown pass to Jaden Blue. It's Fourteen's up Ohio State. They answer thirteen plays eighty eight yards, finishes with a Judkins touchdown twenty one to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Texas. They get it back.
Speaker 2: They're driving there at the one yard line, and that was an oh for a lot of people. Ohio State's d line defense as a whole has been credible on goal line stands, and they do it again. Texas gets caught trying to do kind of a trick play, but an outside reverse run of sorts clipped up and they lose yards on it. They're backed up. It's now fourth down, and this is where college football wins that all sports do not have. Jack Sawyer looking like a first round pick outside linebacker defensive end for Ohio State. He's from Columbus. He grew up idolizing Ohio State and everything it's supposed to represent. He was the guy that Michigan planted their flag on the field and he went and took it out and got into a fisticuffs which I don't know, led to a lot of good sports commentary. My guy Riscilla was on it that he was like, you know what, what's Ohio State supposed to do in that situation? He lost a football game, Just let him plant a flag and celebrate, like, no, go get them quinn Ewers. They were freshman roommate. It's together, like what how can you? You don't write this stuff and other sports don't really have this stuff the college football does. Uh. He takes it to the house. The whole place is going bonkers. Quinn Ewres is an interesting cat man. He's one of those you know I mentioned Jayden Daniels is kind of a low polse guy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's almost like Jane Daniels just doesn't have a bad button, Like it's just flat or it's fun. Quinn Ewers is just like so flat that it's kind of like what's going on?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: And he had a couple of tough moments in this game. I'm interested to see what he does. I think he'd be good to do a transfer year a la bo Nicks Jaden. A couple other quarterbacks have done that and found success. Could see him doing that as well, But it sets up Notre Dame in the Ohio State Buckeyes maybe the two most hated fan bases in college football. Ohio State's a nine and a half point favorite. Let's see, they'll roll the ball out there next Monday, so they've more than a week to prepare for each other. And yeah, this is just a jake end thought. That could be nothing. Definitely is nothing. I still think in twenty years and fifty years, we're gonna see a whole other creative side to football, because sometimes I see trick plays and I'm just like, wait, that's legal. Texas had one in this game. What's becoming a popular play is on fourth and short, having the tight end take the snap and do a QB sneak. You see it in the NFL, you see it at the college level. Texas did one where they had Arch manning in the game. The tight end comes in motion, he goes behind the center to take the fourth and one snap. They snapped it through his legs to Arch behind him. Arch took it ran for the first down. And for me, that's just a moment of like, we can get so much more creativity in offensive football. Sometimes there's trick plays when you see like Okay, the interior lineman can go out for the pass, but the outside linemen couldn't because of how they're aligned. And it's like, I think there's gonna be a kooky high school coach that starts pressing more of those buttons, and you're gonna start seeing more of that. At the same time, my buddies in the group chat, we're pretty pissed off that there are some coordinators calm plays this weekend. You know, the Buccaneers kind of end around play that one kind of ended their season. They were kind of in control of that game. That you gotta be careful when you push that button in how you execute, and it's why a lot of football guys say, no, we're not doing that crap. Put the heavy boys in front, let's run it behind him and yehaw, And there's probably a reason they do that, and there's probably a reason I'm not a football coach. But there will be more creativity coming.
Speaker 1: I see that. So that's your football weekend.
Speaker 2: So a little Rokie at the start, a live Rokie update.
Speaker 1: We'll see if.
Speaker 2: Anything goes on. Braggy Pete Santander. There's still runs to be had out there, and there's a few. There's some pitching, a lot of fun back end guys out there that a lot of those guys are going to find a home before spring training. You wonder if anyone lingers our guy, like our Jack Flaherty who's looking for his number. Does he wait for an injury or two to lead camp?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll find out soon. We'll find out with BBD's uncle, Weikul
Speaker 3: Jack his production of Daan Patrick Production, Humble Media and Workhouse Media.