Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola and.
Speaker 3: It is time for another edition of mix Shots as football players are on a football field here at the Star in Frisco, and it's the official start of Chargers Week. We put the Niners behind us as with a Monday night game this week, the official start of practice preparations for the Chargers has begun. Bill Jones, Everson Walls, you know what. It's what's going on with.
Speaker 2: Mickey taseon So he's had a problem.
Speaker 3: Savannah, Hugh Mooler and Mickey Spagnola trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 2: With his head, his feet of dangling from the chair. So I'm good.
Speaker 3: I think you are really good because you got to look at football players on a football field.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately they haven't done anything.
Speaker 2: So uh, you got.
Speaker 3: To remember to go out there.
Speaker 4: That's right, I need to go check on.
Speaker 2: Something.
Speaker 5: Is every Is everyone all good?
Speaker 3: I accidentally hit the mute button when I I'm bad, don't you take over from.
Speaker 5: Did we all plan this out today? Our outfits?
Speaker 6: I'm the only one that's.
Speaker 3: I'm dressed up today because I did the Coaches show this morning. So he was in a good mood.
Speaker 4: And he was well, I hear that. Uh, Nate and Frisco gave him a hug.
Speaker 2: Yes, he did. He needed HU.
Speaker 3: The show, and he didn't say anything. He just gave him a big old hug.
Speaker 4: Somebody asked him in the press conference, you know, he was talking about making sure everybody else is good after a loss like that, and somebody asked, him, well, what about you? He goes well, Nate, and Nate gave me a big old hug.
Speaker 6: Nate was like the big mother, you know, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: You know what Barth had said, He said, my wife hadn't even give me a hug.
Speaker 2: That, Nate, just what you need, just what you need.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I was trying to see if Cavante Turpin was out there. Uh. He was supposed to start off rehabbing. UH and Everson and I when we left yesterday, or were you with me? No, I was seeing it. He was he was on the cords rehabit doing theme.
Speaker 2: You spoke of it, You did speak of it, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And so that was a good sign. So he said he was going to at least start there, and I was told he was day to day. So we'll see what happens. And it sounds like they're going to start n Sean Wright's clock coming off of injured reserve. Mike said he was going to start practicing.
Speaker 3: Can you explain to us what that means?
Speaker 4: Well, he's on injured reserve, he's served his mandatory four games, meaning missing those, and then you can get a guy start practicing before you have to make a decision on if you're going to leave him there or if you're going to activate him. If you activate him, you have to put him on the fifty three man roster. And now that they're kind of banged up at the quarterback position, it seems like that, you know, they might make a move there at some point, probably not this week.
Speaker 3: And so how does the bye week factor into those weeks?
Speaker 4: By the way, the bye week does not count as a week on i R. So like for Leyton Vandersh, I's got to miss four games, right, We.
Speaker 2: Talked about that, Yeah, we talked about that crazy?
Speaker 3: So does that also affect na Sean Wright? Where his the window.
Speaker 4: He has missed four games, right, but on.
Speaker 3: His return because he designated him for a return.
Speaker 4: Right, I think you have like which allows him to practice three weeks something like that too.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if the bye week gave it another week, because that doesn't count.
Speaker 4: I guess it wouldn't count as a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's more like a four week window for him.
Speaker 4: So you'd like to see Turpin healthy enough to get back out there and play. You definitely would, especially not only from a wide receiver standpoint, but a punt return standpoint also, since nobody returns kickoffs anymore.
Speaker 3: You know, along those lines, when we're talking about special teamers.
Speaker 4: C J.
Speaker 3: Goodwin, I don't know that we talked enough about him and what he meant to this team. And even when go call up the John Fossil press conference from Monday and mix shot on and on talking about CJ. Goodwin and he can't say enough good things about CJ. Goodwin. But will you go back and look at that game the other day if you pull up the all twenty two and he got hurt covering the first punt and he stayed in the game and tried and yeah, it was a pectoral injury.
Speaker 2: Whatever he heard on the tackle.
Speaker 3: On the tackle tackle, Wow, he got hurt on the tackle and then he still gave it a go even though he's got basically a torn peg. And you watch him early second quarter on a punt coverage and his left arm is just hanging. He's going down covering and he got in on the tackle. Trent Sig, the long snapper, made the probably was credit with the tackle, but good one was right in there on the tackle. That shows what kind of heart that guy.
Speaker 4: Plays, Fossil. Fossil said that he talked his way back in. They were like, dude, you got a torn peck, and he goes, yeah, but I think I can do this, And so he went in and they saw him running down.
Speaker 6: Yeah but yeah, never mind, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: You got to come off. That's enough. And you know, and and and he doesn't want to give up, like he's going to go on ir. But you can put a guy on I R for the rest of the season and they're saying, well, let's see what happens. Because sometimes they can put a harness on you, and you know, kind of bandage you up to kind of keep it in place.
Speaker 3: That shows how much he loves football normally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but normally when you tear a peck, that's it your surgery and and you're gonna need surgery eventually. But yeah, I thought watching Fossil Monday in the press conference when he was talking about him, and I think he repeated it like three times, he said, yeah, that really hurts, really hurts. Really, I thought he was going to start tearing up losing a guy like that that not only means so much to him on the field, but off the field as a guy that kind of takes care of the special teams unit. He's a minor to those young.
Speaker 3: Guys in the special teams unit. Of course, that covers all aspects of the team because every position group on the team is involved in some way on special teams?
Speaker 2: Is he the captain?
Speaker 4: They switch every week.
Speaker 3: But yeah, they haven't. If they were to designate a full season captain, he would be him.
Speaker 4: He's the guy, and that's why you know they had him on the practice squad for movement of the roster, but then basically he was the first one they signed to the fifty three. So yeah, that's a and not only that loss, but again losing him and then losing Van Dersh meaning Marquise Bell and jan Yer Thomas probably going to have to play more snaps. And those guys were big guys on special teams. So one of the things that.
Speaker 2: They're young, they are right, just right.
Speaker 4: And he was Mike was pointing out that, you know, and Malik Jefferson only has one more elevation and that's a linebacker. So that probably brings us to the Rashad Evans signing, but to the practice squad. So I did a little research on him, and he did. He was not with anybody, and I think what might have happened was where's my notes? When he played that season last season in Atlanta, he had only signed a one year, one point seventy five million dollar deal. He ended up leading the team in tackles with like one hundred and fifty nine. Now, I know from history the Falcons used to know inflate their tackle totals a lot, but it's said in seven laid a lot. I forgot that their middle linebacker used to be that had all the tackles, but he started all seven.
Speaker 3: But that's the that's the one in fifty nine tackles is what what the NFL has calculated. That was from the game. Yeah, that's from the game because I know because teams will do it, and that's where you'll see a lot of times with the Cowboys will have a different tackle total on players than what the league wide NFL dot Com has, which is from the game summary each right game statistics each week. And he had one hundred and fifty nine based on that playing seventeen games left.
Speaker 4: So I'm guessing playing for just one point seventy five million last year, he was looking for more money and no one was giving him the amount of money that he was looking for. And by the way, he's represented by Rosenhaus, so we can start right there about the money. Uh So, he said, that's why he was looking for the right situation. That evidently Tennessee, according to him, Tennessee and Atlanta wanted to resign him. So to me, that means but they weren't giving him the money he thought he deserved. So when he got the opportunity to sign with the Eagles, he jumped on it. And it was like they lost their starting outside linebacker Nakobe Dean. They had to end up placing him on injured reserve. But the weird thing was is that he he signed on a Monday. He gets there Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, I think it was or Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and they really didn't have a practice. They had like walkthroughs, right, and then he asked to be released. So for his one week of work there and he didn't do any work, he made fifteen thousand dollars, which was you know what his practice squad weekly salary was. And then he said, basically, this is what I was looking for when the Eagles gave him the chance. But then he asked for his release.
Speaker 3: So you know one thing that happened there. Nicholas Morrow, who started seventeen games for Chicago last year, he was he was in camp with Philadelphia. He was placed on the practice squad. They cut him at the end of camp. He was placed on the practice squad and he was one of those veteran guys that they did not want to guarantee his contract, right, so he got he got re signed. He signed the same day that Rashaan Evans was signed to the practice squad. Nicholas Morrow was signed to the fifty three man roster and he was ready, and so Rashaan Evans Is probably said yeah and tried. He had been in camp with him, so he was ready to play. And Rashawn Evans probably I'm just speculating, he probably did not want. He thought when he signed on the practice squad that since they lost to Kobe Dean, that he would be next man up. Well turns out Nicholas Morrow was next man up, and that's probably why he yes for his release.
Speaker 5: It makes more sense.
Speaker 3: And then he's waiting for an opportunity with another team because in this league, linebackers get hurt, and so he had to wait until this linebacker got hurt, and so that's probably what happened on him.
Speaker 5: So he's been signed to the practice squad officially.
Speaker 4: Officially right.
Speaker 2: Twelve pass breakups, five sacks.
Speaker 4: Had a good season, So that's what I'm saying. He just wasn't getting paid what he want.
Speaker 2: That's his career now, I be career number Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, twenty one tackles for lost, sixteen quarterback hits, five fumble recoveries.
Speaker 3: I mean, he was first round draft pick twenty two overall allena in Alabama.
Speaker 4: See, and he thought they he thought the Eagle place was good because guess who he played with when he was at Alabama defensive Jalen Hurts and DeVonta Smith, who with the Eagles. So he felt like this was a spot where I knew some people. I think the special teams coach. It's a big, long Italian name. I don't remember it.
Speaker 3: He was not Spagnol.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't easy. You're Italian.
Speaker 4: I didn't write it. I didn't write it down. I could have pronounced it. He was at Alabama. When he was at Alabama, so he knew people on the Eagles team and staff and one of the reasons why he thought, Okay, this is the way to be there. But he only lasted four days so.
Speaker 3: Well, and he's run. He's run into what well Leyton Vanderish ran into it, especially with the injuries that he had. The market is not there for inside linebackers on the free agent in free agency, and he found out after even after one hundred and fifty nine tackle season that they're not offering basically much more than a little over the veteran minimum, even as a twenty seven year old with five years in the league. Yeah, and so that's just the we talk about the running back market not being a lot of money there, well, because of injuries the inside line. That's what's so remarkable about Fred Warner and him being able to do what he's doing. After all, he never gets hurt. Yeah, I mean he's I think he's missed one game in six or seven years in the league.
Speaker 4: And speaking of that market, when I was researching this stuff, I ran into this little note that the Eagles had not drafted a linebacker in the first round since twenty ten. It was Ernie Simms. So didn't he end up here?
Speaker 3: Yes, he was here for a little bit one year, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's the last time they used a draft pick that high on a linebacker. So anyway, we'll see when he's ready to go. I don't know if he gets here in time. And well, if he was here to work out because they worked out for linebackers and they signed him to practice squad, I would imagine, you know, I don't know how much ramp up he needs since he wasn't in training camp with anybody, uh and didn't practice with the Eagles, which means he hadn't done anything with a team since the beginning of January. The last game of the season in atlant You.
Speaker 2: Know, you good line.
Speaker 6: You look at linebackers like this and it's almost like they're always ready to.
Speaker 4: Go, but you don't want to get hurt, I.
Speaker 2: Know, but they always think they're ready to go.
Speaker 4: Right, said he was working I think if.
Speaker 2: I think he thinks that, I.
Speaker 4: Think that he's been working out in Fort Lauderdale. But we all know how guys work out on their own, right.
Speaker 2: Like us.
Speaker 4: You know, I got up a little late today. I don't think I'm going to hear this.
Speaker 6: As a player. Yeah, it was all about working out. I mean, if you're looking.
Speaker 3: At us, yeah, yeah, we think you get him us three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thats why we're not here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're not like us. Yeah you have that initiative. We really don't anymore.
Speaker 4: I mean it goes back. It goes back to Odell Beckham junior when he was trying to go on with a team and he's saying he'd been working out, and he goes and works out and everybody's like, well, your knee is not ready yet to play, you know, his ankle or his ankle wherever it was. So yeah, well we'll see, we'll see where it goes Hopefully he's in the locker room yet one.
Speaker 3: Hopefully so. All right, we continue with more mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 1: The press dout.
Speaker 3: Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 4: He escapes left. He'll for a push down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna run this himself. Run it up the middle any stores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're now to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 8: You know that sound anywhere? It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping of cool PEPSI finish nachos better with PEPSI.
Speaker 9: That's what I like.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 11: What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday.
Speaker 9: Mornings Swacker Brisket and the Smoker.
Speaker 11: Miller Lyte and the two America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 9: Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three, Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 9: Demiced shots.
Speaker 5: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. Well, I feel like we can take some texts today.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 5: We prepare for Chargers week.
Speaker 3: What's the number bill eight seven two nine oh three two nine eight The Cowboys podcast text line. All right, we've got sad news to pass along. We had heard that yesterday that we had gotten some word that Walk Garrison was close to passing away. And the news comes down today that the great Walk Garrison, mister cowboy in my opinion, because you consider what Walk Garrison is all about, he was a cowboy as he was a cowboy and three times great guys, three time cowboy by the way, that's right. Oklahoma State too. Yeah, Well, and he's a cowboy. He's a cowboy by nature. He was a Lewisville fighting farmer, an Oklahoma State cowboy, and a Dallas cowboy. In Walk Garrison passed away at the age of seventy nine, and what a great guy. He will be sorely missed.
Speaker 4: He I got to know him pretty well. As a matter of fact, I think Chris and I when we're working on his legend show probably spent I don't know, Chris, what do you think two or three hours at his house in Argyle. Yeah, it's one of those log cabins that you they make, I don't know, Wyoming, Utuah somewhere, but it's out in the country and they and they take it apart and bring it here and then real nice.
Speaker 3: It was like you know how he paid for it?
Speaker 4: Goal Absolutely. He always said he made more money being a spokesman for school than he did playing football for the Cowboys. Uh. And and the house was like a museum. Part football, part uh his his actual rodeo career.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: He had a a couple of bit parts in John Wayne movies riding a horse. He told Chris and I about the story that John Wayne was filming a movie out close to a thousand oaks, and they actually hear John Wayne and some of the people came riding in two thousand oaks to practice, to watch practice on their horses. And for being in the movie, he got a rifle. It was a special rifle given to him by John Wayne, and he had it up on the wall and a glass case. Is pretty cool. But it's between the house and off to the side. Of the house. He had his whittling room. He learned a whittle when he was with the cowboys, and he still had all this wooden there and he would make all this stuff and he had it on the shelves and it's like, well, what do you do with this stuff? He goes, well, don't you know with his I don't know. He goes that these people have these these charity auctions and they want this stuff, and he goes figurines. So I've got one at the house, and it's he was.
Speaker 3: That good, was really good from scratch right.
Speaker 4: And it was like these three little stools like you would use to milk a cow, and he titled it stool samples, I think, uh, and he would just he would just give them away. It's like every time I'd go over there, he had to get because he only lived like five minutes from my house, maybe maybe two miles.
Speaker 3: And I don't know that we've done justice to what that log cabin really no, like no, it was huge, huge. I mean that ceiling was way up. Well, it wasn't a little log cabin that he's living in, and uh, it was like one of those you know how the Atrium Hotels are with the middle.
Speaker 4: So he had the upper stairs. Upstairs was just the kind of a walkway that you can see over the railing down into where the living room was. And he had this huge chandelier that was way up at the top right, And it's like, well, so what happens when a light burns out? How do you get it? And he goes, oh, I got a remote. It comes down. He pushes the button and it comes down right. But yeah, he and not to minimize as Bill said, he was a Louisville High School farmer, that was their nickname. And he was born at a hospital in Detton, but he lived in Lewisville. And the house he grew up in is still there by the way, and it's like almost kind of a block off the downtown area of Lewisville, but that's where he grew up. And he told Chris and I the story of his part time job was working at this peanut factory that's still there in Lewisville. It's by the railroad tracks and when you drive by, you can smell the peanuts that they're either cooking or I think making into peanut butter or whatever. So he said, yeah, and I had the job. On the weekends, he goes in. I would play football Friday night he goes. Everybody else would go out partying, having a good time. And he goes and I went to the peanut factory because the train had just come in and I had to unload the sack of peanuts into into the the I don't know, it's not I guess it's a factory. And that was his job growing up. The peanut factory still there, Yeah, I go buy it several times a week.
Speaker 7: But front door was amazing.
Speaker 4: His front door had all his like all his friends' cattle prods or whatever all over the door, right, and he had saddles all over the place on these wooden horses. Just I mean, it was a museum. But not to diminish his football career. And this part I didn't realize when when he was at Oklahoma State in nineteen sixty four, he was a second team All Big Eight running back.
Speaker 3: And he.
Speaker 4: He had seven hundred and thirty yards rushing, which was more than Gail Sayers had that year at Kansas, Right. And then in sixty five he was first team All Big Eight nine and twenty four yards rushing, one hundred and seven, receiving five touchdowns, and he finished second in rushing to Missouri's Charlie Brown. So he actually, you know, we look at him as a run a full back and he was a running back.
Speaker 3: Charlie Brown was a running back.
Speaker 4: Well see, you learned something more right And as a matter of fact, I think I read he was on he was on the Oklahoma State team that ended ended Oklahoma's I don't know. They had beat Oklahoma State twenty consecutive times and they actually beat Oklahoma by the way last time they beat him, probably right, but anyway, and by the way, as we get it to the Cowboys, he's also on the Cowboys Silver Anniversary team. He is, by the way, and took over for Don Perkins when because Perkins really was a fullback, so it ended up being Walt Garrison and Calvin Hill as the running backs. When he first broke in, and he told us everything about Don Perkins and how Perkins helped him make it in the NFL because he was only a fifth round pick. And you know, the legendary story about him is the part of his his signing bonus was in line, a single horse inline trailer, so he can go to the Rodeos horse trailers as a horse trailer. He still had it on his property.
Speaker 2: What are they going to do with all of that?
Speaker 4: I think they were trying to sell it, really the property.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so the house itself.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I don't know how much that would because it's got a lot to be a museum now, Oh yeah it should, Yeah, absolutely right. And he told the story about not only did he get the trailer, but he had to get a hitch for his for his truck, right, and it was like two hundred and some dollars to put a hitch on there. He said, one day he came to work his rookie year and Text was like, where's it? Where's that? Where's that hitch? And he goes, it's on my truck. Outside he goes, I got to see what a two hundred and fifty dollars hitch looks like. And he said, Text walks out of the parking lot. He's got his tie on, his long sleeve shirt, gets on his knees to look under the truck to see what the hitch.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 6: Yeah, why why why is it when we talk about texts that that's the only voice we can think.
Speaker 4: Of that's the only because that's it. That's the only voice I can do.
Speaker 6: I had to be nice at some point, right his family, but like, why is breakfast?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 4: It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 12: And since we're going on this, you know he was he was playing for the Cowboys and he was doing rodeo on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Night before that story, I didn't know and uh.
Speaker 4: And finally somebody wrote a story about it, how how neat the Cowboys would let him do that? And then Tom found out they didn't know, calls him and he goes, yeah, I don't think we want to be doing that. That that that rodeo stuff the night before the game, right, and.
Speaker 3: What ended his pro football career, Uh, rodeo exhibition steer wrestling accident.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he had and then so he didn't listen to town. And he probably made more money doing rodeo too, because he'd go all over the country. The last time I think we had him on the Legend show, he was starting to He ended up in a memory care facility in Fort Worth and he was going to do the show. I talked to his son, and his son said, as long as you don't ask him about anything about the cowboys today. His memory is great going back.
Speaker 2: So he was.
Speaker 4: Wondering how he was going to get there. He'd never been here to the Star, And I said, don't worry about it. I'll pick you up. And he's like, I got another call that day. He goes, so how am I getting. It's like, well, I'm picking you up, No worries, okay. So we drive out here and he started recognizing places roads and he told me the whole story, how he ma his wife that his wife's dad owned all this land and he just happened to be a guy raising horses of all things. Right, so they ended up getting married. He told me the whole thing. Well, we bring him here and he was great on the show, right, just absolutely great. And we get done and we grab something to eat and he goes, ah, I just get a drink. Well, next thing I know, all the ladies are around him at the fire. Right, I'm going walk. You still got it, right, And so we go back, go back to the house and it's a gated entrance in our guyle and from the entrance to the house is at least a quarter mile at least, and the railroad tracks run through his land, right. So we get there and he goes, oh, I forgot my remote, and I'm going, well, do you have a combination to get in? He goes, yeah, yeah, I got it. Well he didn't have it, and so I said, well, what if I climb over the fence and well the motion opened the gate because when you pull your car up. He goes, no, you're not big enough. And I go, what are we going to do? He goes, I'm just going to climb over and not walk. And I said, no, you're not. And you know it's dark, it's late, and I you, old, Well guess what. He climbed the fence, got over, and I'm going I'm coming with you. He goes, no, no, you don't you know now and he start cussing whatever, and I go, I felt like I was with my child. I said, okay, when you get home, call me. And by god, I got home. I was only five minutes away, and I called. I said, are you there? He goes, yeah, I told you he walked the whole way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the train runs through his land.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: So he's there with all of this leathery cowboys stuff and the train runs right.
Speaker 4: Through his and it's a long way.
Speaker 2: It sounds just so typical. It's a long way from the house, but still you can hear it.
Speaker 4: And all there is there is a sign because there's no crossing gate or you know lights that go off. The train just comes ripping through, right.
Speaker 2: And it's a time piece man.
Speaker 4: And he's got he had a little small rodeo arena on his land.
Speaker 5: That's cool.
Speaker 2: That's just throwback man. It's a fantasy place. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I could go on and non bottom. He's he's absolute best.
Speaker 5: Nate and Frisco says that he's also a neighbor of down the street and that he always came to do the Hooters show. Love the guy named Frisco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he when I when Nate was helping me with the legend.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and we.
Speaker 4: Were at Hooters and the Buffalo Wild Wings. I swear once a year we had him because he was so good. Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 2: At the end of the he and had conversations.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm sure I bet that was all all right.
Speaker 3: There's a legendary, legendary poem. He was a rapper before rapping. He's a country rapper. And there's a legendary poem that we're going to play at the end of Mixed Shots that he recited and he was recited by memory. I mean you asked him, uh to recite the poem. People are funny critters and what would spit it out? It's amazing. And we had him on one of the Legend shows and we pulled that archive of that. We're going to play it at the end of the show. But Mickey, do you want to tell the line that Dandy Don Meredith had about well, yeah, okay, yeah, let's see if he gets it right here.
Speaker 4: Well, he had all these stories with Meredith.
Speaker 3: We were telling Savannah this story yesterday and so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: Can I tell the other story first? So Rookie year, when they went on the road, Meredith would take the guys out to dinner right on him and they were in Pittsburgh, I think it was, and they took Walt out and he goes, you know, I'm just gonna do what everybody else was doing. I didn't really drink much, and he goes, but they were putting down drinks. So I kept up with him and I was drinking and he goes, I never drink and he goes. I woke up that day and he goes, I had the worst hangover, and I figured, well, no big deal, because I don't play. I just do a couple of special teams plays and they never give me the ball. Well, the Cowboys got in the lead, and they took Perkins out and set him in in fourth quarter, right, and they kept calling his number, and he had to go out there and go out there ed he goes, I'm dying. He goes, I am absolutely dying. And finally I got into the huddle and I looked at Meredith, and Meredith goes, you dumb rookie. He goes, if you quit getting first downs, we'd get off the field. So anyway, Merrith, when he talk about Garrison, he would always go, he goes, if you needed one yard, we'll get you one yard. If you need three yards, will give you one yard. So the guy's a book, he is.
Speaker 3: There is a book about him once a cowboy. I've got it on my bookshelf at home.
Speaker 4: Will yep, very good, yep.
Speaker 3: All right, we will continue with more mixed shots in just a moment, and we will have people are funny critters when we come back.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 11: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can Crag's a kickoff, Tailgate's going ways postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the Cook, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three miliber Own Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: As they Schnapper, the frush guy who looks white, it's not there, pe escape Flapp.
Speaker 7: He'll look for a French down, just like football when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 8: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese. It's our cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 9: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: To mix shots.
Speaker 5: Head to the Pro Shop at Northeast Mall in Arlington, Texas on Saturday, October fifteenth, between eleven am and four pm. Four Cowboys collections on tour see rare team archives, customize headwear, grab a gift with purchase, and enter for a chance to win a giveaway. Stay tuned for more tour stops coming throughout the season.
Speaker 3: All right to our final segment here of mixed shots for this Thursday Cowboys and the Chargers on Monday Night, and uh, anything, one.
Speaker 4: More thing on.
Speaker 2: Evans.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was told the Eagles didn't like what they saw.
Speaker 3: Oh so that just got this You just got texted this message.
Speaker 4: And uh and so.
Speaker 3: That's probably they're saying that after he signed with the Cowboys practice squad they didn't like.
Speaker 6: But yeah, to figure this out myself, this guy seemed like he was pretty good.
Speaker 4: I'm giving you insight, trying to diminish it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we trust you.
Speaker 4: Probably why we don't trust him, why that's why he didn't get an opportunity to get off the practice squad, and probably why he said, okay, I'm out of here when they signed the other.
Speaker 3: Guy off the practice Nicholas Morrow.
Speaker 5: Right, So we'll see if he's in the locker room today, we'll see. How can they know, you know, we got to get to know the guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how could they not know what? He didn't even practice, so that's my.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe he wasn't ready to practice.
Speaker 2: Maybe they just maybe that just don't want us to have.
Speaker 3: You got this information from someone someone. It's not you, philodeph after the man.
Speaker 6: You can't just believe that stuff. They're trying to salt our game. We can't just take that.
Speaker 4: Guys are about ready to it's not you, No, I know, but I have sources that I trust. Okay, Okay, I don't just throw stuff out. But if you guys want to dig and find better, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm written. We're together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big time? You good? Yeah, I had.
Speaker 6: I hope he's wrong back long so do they.
Speaker 3: By the way, they're playing in Philadelphia, you need to Yeah, you need to get this publicized out there. We just did. Didn't wear you that Philly was thought of him because the Cowboys are playing the Eagles coming up here on November fifth, second game after the file.
Speaker 4: He doesn't ask for his release before that.
Speaker 3: By the way, if these Rangers make it to the World Series, the Phillies have the advantage over the Braves or they Yeah, they're yeah, and we could have the week of the Philadelphia game, we could have the Rangers playing the Phillies and the World Series that week, and Game six and seven of the World Series would be Friday and Saturday November third and fourth, and the Cowboys play the at Philadelphia on the fifth.
Speaker 2: Just another reason for us to hate that.
Speaker 9: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be hate Philly week.
Speaker 4: Dusty Baker already said they're going to the World Series.
Speaker 3: That's right. I heard him after the game. He wanted to.
Speaker 4: Do his He said, I'll have the opening to the celebration, Champagne celebration. I'm saving it for the world.
Speaker 6: So he was calling out names last night. Yeah, me and me and Bochie going at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so we had Berlander do it last night. Five f bombs later on National.
Speaker 2: Live, What to Expect These Days? What you expect these.
Speaker 4: Comes back and goes, but it's only on cable.
Speaker 5: I will note Tonight is the Dallas Stars home opener.
Speaker 4: Yes. St.
Speaker 5: Louis Blues tonight, seven o'clock at home.
Speaker 2: What you got are they?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'll be there for the game.
Speaker 5: Yes, I will be there. I'll be up in the press box in the game track in the show.
Speaker 2: Forgive my ignorance is Saint Louis any good.
Speaker 5: They beat us last week in the preseason game at home. They do. Look, however, I just think it was an off night and we're obviously playing our starters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One other note on Walk Garrison. He's one of those guys and there's a number of guys in Cowboys history who I've always made the case that you know, of course the Cowboys have the Ring of Honor, but there needs to be And then Cowboys are doing this with at and T Stadium, where it's almost like becoming a Hall of Fame museum with vignettes and so forth that they have there and here at the Star in Frisco. But I've always thought there should be a Walk of Fame and for guys who like Walk Garrison, who by the way, was the third leading rusher in Cowboys history when he retired, I think fourth leading receiver when he retired. But those guys that made a huge contribution on the field, but also are iconic legends just from their character and so forth off the field. There's so many like that and favorite types.
Speaker 4: People in the organization that have done stuff for this team behind the scenes. We talked about that you brought it up about Marilyn Love that had been with Jerry since he bought the team passed away.
Speaker 3: But it would be cool where you could have a ceremony, you know, it could even it doesn't have to be anything, even on a game day, but even on a in the off season where you have a Walk of Fame ceremony and you get your star on the Walk of Fame or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know. Yep, so great. Could be a brick on the on the on the sidewalk, ye around the stadium.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we are going to close out this edition of Mixed Shots with the rapper Walt Garrison and his poem people are Funny Critters.
Speaker 13: Rest in peace, Walt and a friend of mine, Rode Little Palm poem called people are Funny Critters. Now there's the audience participation saying, so when I say people are funny critters, you say, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: You whatta mean people.
Speaker 13: Are funny critters?
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 13: Well, as apple pie bakers and crooked bookmakers and blondes and brewnetterers and birthday forgetters and chicken fry lovers and blue eyed soul brothers and drinkers and boozers and winners and losers and elephant trainers and tylers campaigns and fixers and menders and paper clip benders and goers and stairs and pinockle players and handkerchief uses and tissue abuses and interstate bikers and wilderness hickers and joggers and addicts and handball fanattics and kissers and tellers and friends of the fellers and lovers and fighters and fingernail biters and mayonnaise dippers and miracle whippers and newspaper readers and drivers and speeders and old weight hookers and magazine lookers and people with answers and bottomless dancers and quivering flunkers and basketball dunkers and readers and thinkers and double scots drinkers and soda straw manglers and barnapkins stranglers and teasers and criers and high rolls and flyers and uncles and sisters and passives. This is, and virtuous girlies and sillies and squirrelies and weird those and sickies and five ot of quickies and xylophone pickers and popsicle liquors and yawners and nappers and one handicappers and zippy old timers and lunatic rammers. People are funny critters.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.