Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football club.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 3: This is the Player's Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Heckma Harrison De Montrey Moore, and Newie Scruggs.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 5: Here we are Players Lounge, four horsemen coming at you today, doing it the last show till training camp. All right, so the Players Lounge matters. We got we'll break, Yes, we got. First off, we'll break, got break, I mean, get this the break and his dude on the show, the difference.
Speaker 2: Gotta enjoy me. Guess how you gonna enjoy life? The golf course, very church lined up?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm instruction brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming here.
Speaker 6: I mean so church churches are frequent.
Speaker 5: You know, off this week I'm here, I mean going through.
Speaker 6: We're gonna keep it the.
Speaker 4: Bun is it? The golf course for really? Got you take this? Got you so tied up? What is a couple of things here?
Speaker 2: And there's definitely there on the priority list.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying.
Speaker 5: Very's blessed by the shod conbat.
Speaker 7: I mean that's like city.
Speaker 5: Everybody should have a shot con and they like, this is true. Man, I want to get a shot. I want to I want to meet Shot.
Speaker 2: Late wrestling. You know, some way I can go off the top.
Speaker 7: Still in shape.
Speaker 5: It's our final, our final sho before before uh the mini camp ends the day. So you know Shot, he's talking today, Dak is going to talk today and then they're gonna get off to the training camp in July. Late July auction our California here. So all three of you guys have played in the league here and I asked George Pickens yesterday, you know, what are you gonna do with the time?
Speaker 6: So I'm just relaxed. What is relaxing meaning? What does it mean? So for you guys, take tell our.
Speaker 5: Viewers and listeners, what did you do after many camp was done and you get this final break before you hit camp in July?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Well, for me it was I traveled, you know, as soon as camp was done.
Speaker 4: OTAs all that stuff, man, wear you down a little bit.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: It ain't the pass and nothing physical like that, but just you know, being at meetings Hot Texas, Son, I traveled, you know that first week you know, me and a wife or whatever, go do our thing. But when we got back, it was I wouldn't say it was relaxing, but I still, you know, it was grinding a little bit, working out here and there, but not making sure my body was ready for any camp coming around, because we all know when you get up there in that training camp in them paths and back then it was two days.
Speaker 7: I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Got a little difference, totally different, but yeah, I made sure, you know, I kept in shape, made sure, you know, my lungs and everything was cool. But for the most part, I definitely took a little break from football because you think about it, man.
Speaker 4: You're going from season all the way.
Speaker 8: You get you know, a couple months in our off season, you know, February, whatever the case may be. But after that you right back in the grind. So I had to make sure I cleared my mind a little bit.
Speaker 2: For me, I probably took I probably took maybe the first week off of something. I go home, and I was a big family guy, so I'm going home, like it took me a while before my first few years to buy the house in the league.
Speaker 7: Like it was me and my mom, my sister, my.
Speaker 2: Girlfriend who's turning to my wife now to where we sat there, and like we were in Dallas. So for that week or two, we did cookouts, we did crawfish ball, we actually just kicked it and had like a good family time. And then after that, like you know, about a week and a half of getting it in, it's like, hey, I was back into the mold because going into training camp you had it.
Speaker 4: You were you were.
Speaker 7: Getting ready to go to battle.
Speaker 2: Like for me, it was like it was turning on this this going toward type of mindset where I'm like, hey, I'm really getting prepared. So I'm going in there, I'm running, I'm making sure my cardio is right because I'll for it looks different for everybody. I know some people that when they leave training camp it's like, hey, I'm chilling. I'm not doing anything until maybe a week before training camp and I'm good. Some athletic dbs that I know that, But most of the d line is like it only took us like a week to get out of shape, so like to go hang out two or three weeks, it's like, hey, the athletic ones, you get battle a good week and a half, but after that, those next three or four weeks. You got to come in there on your high horse because it's time to work and it's time to go. So for me, that was resting, relaxing with family and going from there.
Speaker 6: He said, what you got for me?
Speaker 4: Man? It was like, so I would use the OTAs.
Speaker 10: In the mini camps as a gauge to see on certain things that I need to work on or where I need to get sharp at. After that was OTA's in mini camp, it was like back to the lab, you know, because basically you look at it like so after that last mini camp, structurally we always said, okay, you got to the fourth of July, because after the fourth that's when it starts tapering down. You know, you're gonna have a couple few weeks outside of that. So we would basically get back in the lab and go hard. You know what I'm saying, Okay, like how the mini camp look, how the OTA's look, how your feet looking, what you need to work on and things like that, and we were just trying to get everything straight for that, you know.
Speaker 4: And just like what we mentioned earlier.
Speaker 10: We had two a day's back then, so it was a whole different type of grind, you know what. I mean, and then of course when around the fourth of July we would have that big cookout you normally got family reunions and stuff like that, and so then that's when we would actually start to taper off just a little bit to make sure that we weren't as fatigued and your body was like you know, I guess in that second phase of trying to go to that.
Speaker 4: Before you peak or whatever else.
Speaker 10: Right, so if you want to try to chill out a little bit, let the body relax, make sure everything is healed up, because you don't want to go in the camp too sore anythings like that. But we always use that last part of the mini camp and those ot as before, you know, before the season started to see where we were at.
Speaker 7: So let me get this straight.
Speaker 2: You said that basically ot AS was that was just the size of mode.
Speaker 7: Like you just came in here and looked up at Barry and.
Speaker 6: Was like, oh yeah, training camp to.
Speaker 4: Try and see what's going on.
Speaker 10: And every shop, you know, like every year you gotta trigger, You got to figure out something every day that you're going to work on, because you know, if that if you're looking like you're reaching that ceiling where they gotta.
Speaker 4: Find somebody else, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: So you got to keep on coming there with something to work on, something to show, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So you gotta stay hungry all the time. And that was just my approach.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I'm gonna throw this back at you guys again because what some young folks, younger people who don't understand how the NFL has changed what to a days?
Speaker 6: Needs man break it down.
Speaker 7: Oh let me let me.
Speaker 2: Let me go ahead and get this cause I'm the youngest one out of all of them. I did get the experience too a days, but I didn't have the two days where you have practice full pass to a day. I heard about those talking to the Plexico justin Tuck back in the day, you know, you come into the locker room. They I'm like, well, you're talking about we do got two days, Like in the morning, were coming in their hellmets running doing like full scripted periods. I'm talking about like an hour worth of work. And back in the day Kaughlin made you work. You're gonna get his money's work. And so then after that it's like, hey, all right, let me go in here and take a little break, let me eat all y'all complain about two days, the next one we're coming out there and pass. And I'm like, man, that was a grind within itself, within the right organization, because going to Jack del Rio to a days now you go to a Pete Carroll to to day that might you know, you might not be as physically demanding on the body, but mentally it's a whole different thing. And so to hear about I can only imagine the demand that it took on my body, because still mentally, that was a grind to be there over twelve hours a day, sitting there going straight from meeting, going to practice, running full speed you just don't have on pass. And then the next one coming out there hitting each other. And then for y'all guys to go out there and actually do too full padded practice, that was different within itself to where I see why the league life span was so short. So for me it was it was a grind. Like now you got the restrictions. Even when I came in, you had the restriction of how many hours you can practice, how many meeting hours you can have, And it's up to the coaches discretion if they want to take all that or give all that off. If you got a veteran team, you know, they might cut you a little seleg But most of the teams that I was a part of, we were all young, but you had certain vets in there to where it was taxing mentally physically, And so I can only imagine y'all tell me how y'all's were.
Speaker 4: It sucks. I mean it was you got you got the to full of full.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: My first two years was the you know, no restrictions. You in there for the new CV, before the new CD. You was in there no matter what. And my feet still hurt to this day.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: And it sucks because you you going early in the morning, you running it as a dB.
Speaker 4: We run it all over the place, sweating like crazy.
Speaker 2: And if you didn't have your shoes, and if you didn't have your shoes in the right spot to drive off, man, you putting your feet back in them soggy cleat small.
Speaker 4: For your second practice. Shoulder pads might be a little damp.
Speaker 2: Still, it's like, and not to mention that, you know, obviously we know. The NFL, I'm looking at the camera is a non hazing organization. They do not do that, but those team bonding moments that you had with the day, and that's what say you say that you carry you pass, say you don't get somebody they food the right way. All of a sudden you got you a long snapper that throw your clothing the cold tub and then you gotta get it. I'm getting to wear all that. So you also had that on your back.
Speaker 4: As well, and it just sucked overall.
Speaker 2: But you know, thank goodness at least for me that you know, I was under Uncle Wade for my first year and Uncle way Man the more the ultimate players coach, he would. I mean sometimes we come back off there for for our second padded practice.
Speaker 4: He was just looking around like know what fellas the pads off?
Speaker 7: Take them all?
Speaker 4: You know what helmets on? And man, we thought, well man granted, because it wasn't nothing like that for me, by.
Speaker 6: The way, real quick what Barry was talking about. But Wade was here.
Speaker 5: You know what they called it camp Cupcake complain about camp. I was there for the Jimmy practice. I was covered Jimmy.
Speaker 2: That's why I said I don't want no part of Rod may Nelli when he used to have a brickyard. George I'm like, bro, it's kind of like it was over there my first year with the Titans.
Speaker 4: You know. We of course we had Jeff Fisher. He was a young coach at the time.
Speaker 10: She was well, you know, and and everything about that was just contact and being physical. We had to have nasty peers. We called him nasty periods. We had nasty periods every day, all right. And then we had this thing where even if we just had on uppers, just the shelves and helmets, you know what I'm saying, you could still get fitted up.
Speaker 4: You can still and so you know.
Speaker 10: So then they would try to get slick with it, right, they'd be like, okay, like we're gonna have two day practice, but then we're gonna cut off sack because one of them two day practices might be a special teams practice.
Speaker 4: Boy what dB ain't on all special teams, but.
Speaker 2: You had to play special teams now, you know, mister con money over here.
Speaker 7: After he left the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: We know, I'm just saying, but me myself, there's been a spell of my whole career.
Speaker 10: Boy, hey, every day, so you know so, But one of the good things about it was that when it did change a little bit like, let me tell you something, man, because it was tough, like where Barry was talking about your shoes, you messed around, had the wrong shoes or don't get planning fasci itis like I had.
Speaker 4: My rookie year. It don't matter what shoes you putting on, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: And then and then it's the whole thing of like actually back then getting acclimated.
Speaker 7: So figured this.
Speaker 10: You're working out in Texas in this heat in the middle of July or wherever you might be in training camp with heat in dex of one hundred and fifteen on one practice and one hundred on the other one. You're talking about hydration, maintaining weight, just all this other stuff that goes into it. You know what I'm saying. Then, trying to keep this thing right. I was just about that right.
Speaker 7: How was I saying? How was that back in the day?
Speaker 2: Because I know for us, I was blessed enough to have great as I call him OG's and mentors coming in justin tugg a young Jason, Pierre Paul that was ball of mathis Ki with Nuka to where these guys told me, hey, I have the game plan. It doesn't do me no good at keeping this, and they actually showed me what to do and they wanted me to be better so we can compete.
Speaker 7: I heard back in the day was more exactly.
Speaker 2: It was more people will tell you something wrong, like hey, yeah, that's the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Practice, Like no, they didn't give us the schedule, but like it'd be like, hey, come in here. You know we're gonna want to wide for I'm gonna tell you right now, with all these blitzes, he really don't run that the first week he gonna learn this or learn that, but get ready to do this right here because we about to hit it. Or hey, individual, pivisual individual period, do not mess this up because we do not want to go back for you. I'm telling you, he gonna throw you a monkey wrench right here. And so for us, none of that with him the way, but as nice as they were and telling us that, it was a certain level of expectancy to where it say, hey, you bet not mess up. We gave you everything, so if you messed up, that was purely just pissed pore on you. And I get it now being the old head. It's like looking back, I'm like, wow, that was fortunately, Like, what do you mean people told you stuff wrong?
Speaker 10: Like people they would they would tell like so they would purposely tell me the wrong stuff to do on defense.
Speaker 4: All right, you gotta understand.
Speaker 10: So you got some old cats and they looking at the young boys like number one, that's competition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so if you're coming.
Speaker 2: In there with with you know, with your guns blazing and everything else like that, you know, and then and then if they telling you the wrong thing, be good.
Speaker 4: Then when your reps come up in film, Oh no, no, we don't.
Speaker 2: Even want to watch his reps fast forward and he stay here and watch his reps by himself, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: No, it was, it was.
Speaker 4: It was tough.
Speaker 7: Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: Don't I'm not about to sit here and say it's camp cut kick. As far as me having the great vests, I do love them, and they.
Speaker 7: Taught us this thing.
Speaker 2: But it's like you also earned, Joe, just do like they had the right balance of treating you like, hey, humbling you. We don't care who you are, what you came in because that year you had a second round pick, in a third round pick in the locker room.
Speaker 7: So as d Lineman. So it was like, hey, we're gonna hump.
Speaker 2: Y'all, but we also need to show y'all what's going on, because this is professionalism. Like what you do right now reflects us, Like we ain't got time to be We can't afford to be torturing YouTube right now when we just lost last year or we just won last year. Oh hey we won, So we're trying to keep this going right now, coming off this momentum. So that's why I say it's different. You go to Seattle locker room, the guys like Cliff April, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, like all those guys, they had a certain thing where like they can trip on you and you know, kind of get that camaraderie boys we boys moment, but also say hey, at the end of the day, we grown men. Let's respect you. And then, like I said, you go to other organizations. Not gonna call them names out, but you had those vets where it was like, bro, yeah, let me get outside the.
Speaker 4: He'll fit your line, crossing a.
Speaker 2: Line, don't don't let you get mad at him. And he sits there and be like, hey, coach, rookie, get mad. Let me get him fine to this.
Speaker 7: And that better. Yeah, you got all these big dogs jumping on you. It's like, how we're gonna see.
Speaker 4: How hard you can fight, and it's underestimated.
Speaker 8: Like you was talking about earlier, the mental aspect of training camp, I mean that it's almost as hard, if not harder than the physical part.
Speaker 6: When are you coming in as a rookie.
Speaker 2: You're trying to learn all these different playbooks and how you're supposed to be a professional terminology terminology. And then there was times where early in camp, we you know about this, were we in San Antonio.
Speaker 8: That was our first before we went to Oxen our year round. We was in San Antonio half of the camp, and it would be times where you don't even see the light of day because you're practicing in an Halohold dome.
Speaker 6: Coming in and.
Speaker 2: It's about thirty six o'clock in the morning, the sun an even up. Yet by the time you get out of there, it's dark and you're just like, man, what did the day go?
Speaker 4: The mental gymnastics you gotta do it camp as a young and is wold man as well.
Speaker 5: This was a fun segment guy education for those and that's that's that's what the players line is. We're trying to give the fans out there inside of what's going on here. So all three of you played in the league, so this is fascinating. Uh I gotta get to break, but fascinating. When we come back, I want you all to give me the player you want to be looking at a training camp like I need to watch this player because I am very interested in what this player can bring. Come training camp when it starts at OUK start in July.
Speaker 6: We'll do it next.
Speaker 5: Barry Trey Anthony, I'm knew he. This is the players Lone brought you by Aristocrat Gaming on Das Cawy.
Speaker 6: Hey, they're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 11: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Gambling problem.
Speaker 11: Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler. That's one eight hundred gamblr for twenty one over.
Speaker 12: Dallas Cowboys Game Day is brought to you by Captain Morgan, the official Spiced Ram of the NFL. The NFL season is full of legendary tales on and off the field, and when you follow the Captain within you stories become stuff of legends. So gather your crew and visit follow Thecaptain dot com to begin your adventure. Please drink responsibly. Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum thirty five percent alcohol by volume. Captain Morgan Rum Company, New York, New York.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 6: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 11: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: Raising Caines presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to order Cane's chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of canes when it comes to winning game day Canes rules raising Canes chicken fingers one love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 12: To the players Loune.
Speaker 2: The cocka coov Gold Cup is back at at and T Stadium with two doubleheaders.
Speaker 7: Watch Costa Rica take on the.
Speaker 2: Dominican Republic and their surname Face Mexico and June eighth team. Then on June twenty second, the United States meet Haiti and the Dominican Republic takes on surname. Do not miss your chance to see best soccer team in North America. Get your tickets for both days now at seat geek dot com.
Speaker 6: We are one year away from the World Cup coming.
Speaker 4: Wait sweet.
Speaker 5: Matches to be played at at and T Stadium, which is the equivalent of having nine Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: It is certain to be something to see. The city crazy yes, Oh okay, I'm asking this now. Wait Newly and Barry, please take me to your sleep.
Speaker 4: I got hop.
Speaker 5: I gotta get You don't understand who FIFA is. Okay, Fifa, FIFA who runs the World Cup? They ain't giving that nothing. They don't they don't know, my brother, you know how many years? I don't know how many years.
Speaker 4: That's the equivalent that's equivalent to the super Bowl.
Speaker 7: I mean.
Speaker 8: Nine super Bowls coming in and get that team, that team I stand or expanding the stadium, buying it because you know what, I'm soccer maybe on a thirty deep.
Speaker 5: It's going to be something special here and while the final is going to be played up in New York. But but nobody's got more matches than Arlington. It's gonna have him. So I'm excited about it.
Speaker 4: Deep.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's cool.
Speaker 7: It's revenue to the city. Oh man, yes that beat.
Speaker 5: So another mandatory man, and can wrap this thing up. Dak Prescott's talking today, Brian Schottenheimer. It's gonna have his take out there. So when we get the Ox, start go around the room here all the players games. So Anthony Dorsey will start with you. Who's the one player you're gonna be looking at a training camp, say, man, I gotta keep my eye on.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm gon cheated a little bit, and it's not actually gonna be one, it's actually gonna be two. I'm looking at these two corners, both of them coming back off of some type of injury, you know what I mean. I don't know exactly what Diggs is going to be able to do in the beginning of the season as far as his health. But with Bland coming back and he played a little bit last year, but like you always say, you take that second year to actually get back healthy, to choose and get back healthy. So I'm actually gonna be trying to see what's going on in that secondary with those corners, man, because the years that they had the previous two years before those injuries, these dudes was like putting up numbers that were unheard of as far as interceptions and shutting down and shutting down one side of the field. So I'm really curious to see what's gonna happen in the secondary.
Speaker 5: Diggs yesterday spoke in the locker room, so I was there justin Diggs was there very much a heated ping pong match between competition, j T the rookie from u C l A, and Michael Parsons. There was only one person in the room cheering for Miikay everybody else. It was beautiful to watch. I'm s so glad they let us in the media just watch this thing. Shoty was in there watching it too. But it was a lot of competition. But Dick said he hopes to be back for Week one Russia man, and and that was that. So overwhelmingly, that's what the fan base rush. Don't rush like it's your desires.
Speaker 10: But then realistically, yeah, because see, one of the things that people outside the building don't understand is that, like there's always pressure for a player to come back and get it back on the field, but they don't make no exceptions for you getting out there and you're not being one hundred percent. So they want you back out there, and you feel obligated to get back out there for your boys and your team. But if you ain't one hundred percent, they gonna hold you accountable to everything that happens out there, all right. So yeah, and so like just like you said, hey, don't don't don't rush it, take your time come back, right.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean like that's like that's something said, don't touch hey, don't toush rush more? Who you got oh Man? For me, I'm gonna go ahead and piggyback off my dog. Mister the dort said, I'm gonna take two of them real quick, but I'm gonna make it real short and sweet for you. I'm looking at the second round picking, this defensive lineman. I want to see what the big fellow is gonna do. I've been hearing good things people have been talking about here, and we all know what Michael is going to do. We pay oh so that money, but we need somebody on the other side to come over there, and so it starts up front.
Speaker 7: I'm biased, D lineman. I need to see what he's going to do Boston. Yes, sir, mister.
Speaker 2: S Hey, I love your young fellow, but I need to see that as a D lineman, he needs to come in there. If like as as new we be talking about the lamp and all this stuff and leading and stuff like that, I need to see if he has that capability. Next, I need to see, Hey, George Picking, I've been talking about your sin shit got here, man, I've been telling you, I know what's going on with CD.
Speaker 7: I know what's going on with D.
Speaker 2: I'm liking what I'm saying from this running back and I'm loving what I'm saying with these reports they're saying Picking is being untouchable right now. He's looking good. And we all know that during OTAs you have that guy that looks good. You have that big off season acquisition where it was like, I see why you brought them in. Now I want to see if it's gonna transfer over when we put these pads on, and if it transferred over like that, I told you I'm gonna be on that very way where we we got these two guys. So I'm just saying, but I love the reports that I'm seeing from him and what he's doing. I just want to see if he's going to do it in past, which I believe he is. So I need that momentum to keep going to have that snowball effect.
Speaker 8: Okay, you know I got I got too as well, both in the trenches, Okay, both in the trenches defense on the defensive side.
Speaker 4: I gotta see what Mazzie Smith can bring to the table.
Speaker 8: All Right, We've gotta have somebody in there that can basically clog up that metal. I mean, Osa, I believe he's on the come up. I think he's going to keep rising and keep being a better player. But Mazi, he's a little inconsistent.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: Rookie year got a little bit better. You know, sometimes he got tossed out the club. Then you saw other examples where he was he was scouting there.
Speaker 4: I just want him.
Speaker 2: I don't want him to be a flash, no squirrel technique. I want to be just be stout there. I don't need you to be this, you know big you know, guy are Donald, I don't need you to be Aaron Donald. Just be here so you can take up these you can let these linebackers run. So Mazi, you know, hopefully he's able to take that leap that we all.
Speaker 4: Hope he can do.
Speaker 7: Saying that because he was drafted high. Now I'm hearing good stuff from there.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. I want to.
Speaker 7: That that big Simone kid. I heard he is closing up the middle.
Speaker 4: He's a big dude.
Speaker 8: Thought on another day, big big dude, big dude. And then my last one, my last one, it's gotta be guiding man.
Speaker 4: That the left tackle.
Speaker 8: I mean this offense can be extremely explosive. You talk about picking CD lamb what Dak brings to the table, but none of that's gonna be able to flow if that's always looking over his shoulder, like, man, is this guy gonna hit me in the head or what's going on?
Speaker 6: So guy, we gotta see that step. We gotta be that guy that can.
Speaker 8: Hold down that blind side for Dak Prescott in order for this offense to roll. So for me, both of those guys in the trenches, let's take that next time.
Speaker 4: And I'm a firm believer.
Speaker 10: You know, like football ain't changed in years, and everything regards from what side of the boy you're on, It all starts up front and order for them two boys that I said I want to see have success, to be successful, y'all boys up front and so's it's a big key component.
Speaker 6: Hall of Famer Warren Sap said it. Bet I'll never forget. He says, back don't work without the front, Russian cover.
Speaker 4: Front.
Speaker 5: So when you speak of Mazzi, Bill Parcells had a great line. He said he got from from Tom Landry. By year three, we got to see something. And this is where Mozzi's sitting at here. Unfortunately for him, it's another defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: But is that is that unfortunate? Let's really let's really break that down. It's unfortunate, but it's also perceptions of everything. Your cup is half full of half anthing. You got a new defensive coordinator, a new start. You haven't gotten off to the start, like you said, you're over here talking about you got thrown out the club. If there is any defensive scheme that you're going to succeed in, is that wide nine four man front, get off the ball, just hunt and that is what you have with Evra flu So if anything, it's a brand new start. So for him, yeah, new perceptions believes in giving you fresh starts. He tell you, I don't care about none of this. All I cares about what you're doing. So if he's been showing it at O t A, then guess what he's gonna do. That pressure bus pipes will make diamonds.
Speaker 7: So my bad.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, this one.
Speaker 5: This is the conversation you have because Monsei Smith to me is a key. This is a guy that we have to look at. I mean, he got two things with the cowboys for me that that I have questions about one. It's the d line because if you want to beat the Cowboys, and the good teams that have beaten the Cowboys the last three years have been able to run the ball. Diick Fan Gill say, here's the blue print, the blue Prince's lea run on them. We want to beat the cow go run these dudes. They can't stop to run. Oh Michael parsays, yes.
Speaker 6: What you want to rush? Yes, so we go run his ball up.
Speaker 7: And run yourself out the play. But that's the good thing. I'm a man.
Speaker 2: I'm remiss because I do not know the linebackers' names that we have. So that's a challenge to them. Make me learn y'all names be those guys this year because if the defense penetrates right there, you're going to have your linebackers that can just cover go downhill like back in the day, Zier Black uh uh at the Colts. What was the other kid that your Q dog brother Leonard from l s U Like he was able to free flow when you cause that penetration. So it's not going to be a catch technique like this is you really getting off? So like it shouldn't be no excuses for this run defense between the scheme, if you go out there and execute, like I don't want to hear none of that.
Speaker 5: Look, Kenneth Murray, who they brought brought in here linebacker dog got a good linebacker and obviously he's got something. I apologize, sir, but but that's you know, there's a there's a player that if upfront they're doing their.
Speaker 4: Job, he can have a good scene can flow.
Speaker 5: And we saw it with the Kendricks last year. Was no longer here, but he used them's defense. But when he was when they got upon and he wasn't as good as he could be. As I'm not as fall.
Speaker 7: I think Murray has the potential to do Sean Lee type caliber and.
Speaker 10: Shawn was so before before injuries got to that boy, Sean Lee was a different.
Speaker 7: Break definitely, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Even the Cowboys, it's like when you when you look at them as a team and it's been a long time, I'm trying to remember that that that all Pro linebacker that we had that was like that dude that was always there.
Speaker 4: We've always been known for d line, running.
Speaker 10: Backs, quarterbacks, skill positions and stuff like that, but the Cowboys it's been it's been some some years since we've had that dominant force at a linebacker inside or something like that. Mike's rushing on the outside and doing his thing, but we ain't had that dude, like you know what I'm saying, Like a Bobby Wagner type guy who could hold.
Speaker 4: It down and be consistent for years for long.
Speaker 5: Never been their real big philosophy, especially since Jimmy left, they had they don't. Yeah, so it was a surprise for a lot of people that they drafted Michael Parsons because linebackers not been a big thing when Jimmy was here.
Speaker 6: They were very much d line and then the back end.
Speaker 5: Those in terms of first and first round picks, you saw first round corners and first round deal you really didn't see that many linebackers. The one linebacker that Jimmy did take in the first round was Robert Jones out of East Carolina. But for the most part, they even like Ken Norton was the second round and they didn't pay Ken Norton. They just didn't put a lot of emphasis at the linebackers spot because they feel like, if we're good in the back of the front, we can find some other plea can plug in, plug plugging some guys there. I'm going right back over to what you said because I said this yesterday on the media, Mash Tyler Guiden is the key to this thing.
Speaker 6: If your left tackle cannot protect in this league, you.
Speaker 4: Gotta look out. And this run game is up in the air right now too as well.
Speaker 5: So this schedule you think about, you're starting off with the Giants, I mean, got the Egles, then the Giants, then the Bears, Packers you got you know, Commanders are on here this, you got the Broncos, you know, Chiefs, Lions, you know charges. So you're playing some teams that if your left tackle is not getting it done, and it's a bunch of lookouts, it's a problem one of the things. And this is this is where I've learned how to make these interviews work, is listening to what you guys as players don't say, say a little bit. And so we're talking to Jake ferguson the tight end yesterday and he talked about, yeah, first time ever in my career I didn't catch a touchdown on my mind, and then he talked about last year, I had to do a couple of things, and then you know had to chip at times.
Speaker 6: You got to help a.
Speaker 2: Brother out of it that I wasn't able to get out for y'all that didn't pick up what he said, Hey, I need you to pick up your sack.
Speaker 5: I had to help the rookie last year because he wasn't getting it done. So instead of me getting out here running some routes and doing what I want to do, I had to help homeboy.
Speaker 6: So hopefully, if homeboy does his thing, I can go get loose as I'm a f agent.
Speaker 5: And so when he said it, he wasn't throw in shade, but he was also trying to let you have an understanding.
Speaker 4: Of why haven't I been so productive as I could?
Speaker 7: But they say read the contact clues followed the bouncing boom.
Speaker 5: But some people, and this is some of the faults of some of the meeting, some people didn't get it. Some people did get what he was saying. And that's why I go back into what we talk about. Tyler guid is a guy. He was hurt last year, thrown in from a different position, hurt at training camp. So a lot of things that didn't go the way he wanted to. And let's be honest and Chris Bean. You know this our producer Chris because he's a camp too, and he's been there were some issues with the old line coach and now people feel a little feel you're hearing things that.
Speaker 6: They feel better.
Speaker 8: A guy Arizona, right, Kansas State, but the offensive coordinator from Arizona.
Speaker 4: It was the coach there.
Speaker 6: So having two run guys.
Speaker 5: But these were just some issues that Okay, these guys are starting to see and do some things different. Maybe they make this old line play to their strength a little bit more. But bottom line is this offensive line is getting tested week one, Thursday night against Philadelphia, and it's gonna set the tone and offensive line and defensive line. But Tyler guy, I don't know if you seen him, God lost weight. Now he looked, he's he's looking good. Damn Is that gonna help? Because I mean, you got you got pus roxy. That's what he was exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And for me as a D lineman, like when I seen those guys on that Scout report and they said a former hooper and this and that. Oh I'm looking at my chops. Oh man, he ain't built tough. He ain't for tough like that like you it's a certain mindset.
Speaker 7: It's a reason.
Speaker 2: No disrespect to the basketball players, but the way that we looked at football players, it was like it was a certain dominance. So for you to switch sports do that and you losing the weight, it's like the way that I look at you. Don't get me wrong, no disrespect. Mike McGlinchey is good. He's been his own type of guy. But guys in the league love to line up against Mike because guess what you knew he was like you knew he was gonna overestimate itself and you could run him out the club. So with you telling me that he's losing weight, if you just said that, hey, he leaned up and yeah. So that's that's what I meant to say. Okay, there we got his credit.
Speaker 6: I would go into this where you know, when you looked at tired Smith, that was that.
Speaker 4: Was the guy you said, hey, yeah and so.
Speaker 5: But but overall amongst the line, like you saw the Cowboys shifted from guys like Nate Newton and Mark tuen A to hey, man, our linemen are not gonna be dowey.
Speaker 6: You're going.
Speaker 14: And so so Guyton is looking when you look at him so he's making that right. You see, no, you saw it.
Speaker 5: You saw a guy that has taken last year's disappointment and said, how can I get this off season?
Speaker 4: He made no.
Speaker 6: Excuses when he's like, I wasn't good.
Speaker 5: I love I love that I wasn't where I needed to be, And he said, I have to earn Dax's trust. So he he's taken this off season to look at himself. Wasn't where I needed to be. Let me do the things I need to do. And so he's changed his diet and he can I do to get better?
Speaker 7: We'll have to see.
Speaker 5: That's what training campus is about. But at least you're watching him take the steps. One accountability. You guys know this better because you're playing the rule. Can you look in your mirror, in your own mirror and be accountable to what you were last year and what you didn't do? And then when you hear him talking about I have to earn the trust of the quarterback in my line linemates, then you know Kevin he cares about dudes in the room. We all got to care about each otheractly, you know, because the inches we need all.
Speaker 6: If you look over there and see a guy gotta go at it, and that's what you need, especially you got to be a group.
Speaker 2: And another thing that he said behind that, within that statement was it wasn't that he said, hey, I know, I gotta do this. He took the ownership of saying like I know the like I know it's on me, Like he's letting you know, like I'm about to go to battle and like I'm coming in with one person. And so for me, that gives you, like that that dog mentality where he put in his back up against the wall. He knows the adversity he has to overcome. And so for a guy like that, that's a day man, that's a dangerous man with tunnel vision. So for you to clean it up and say like, hey, he's boked up and he went into Hyperberg to get brawlic and stuff like that. As an anime fan, I'm over here. I'm ready to return to Broadley.
Speaker 5: That's the thing up he's he has been doing the work. Let's see what it translates to when you get out there in July. Awesome Richards is a back up here. I think he'll have an opportunity as well. And if Shoddy is doing the whole Pete Carroll thing where you preaching competition. Let's see exactly who they made it go from there.
Speaker 6: When we come back.
Speaker 4: I don't give him the job, you know what I'm mean.
Speaker 6: That's about it.
Speaker 4: Just because you got the first round. I hated that. But competition. He's saying the right things. He's saying the I had a.
Speaker 5: Conversation with a guy yesterday and in the locker room, and I want to get your perspective on it about his new start here with the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: To do that next the players, you talk.
Speaker 12: About how do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti store?
Speaker 9: Letter rip Troy.
Speaker 15: All right, folks, let's get started with Yediy French Press and Joork Colby, This Day's Hot Furs and French Press thirty four ouns for U six four with the cruise of yetty French Press. What mixed waterproof bags, bags of waterproofs, some werstable waterproof doubles, waterprove bag bagsports mostly water should get a waterprove Yetti bagg glassmell something cooking po new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, corn bit cobberce, pot pine and potatoes. Next over with three sizes of yetty cash, iron.
Speaker 2: Skellets, gear gifts, and product experts.
Speaker 11: Visit the Yetti Store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 16: Today life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through. Whether you're maxing out overhead presses, push them through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator smooth It available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla only at Smoothie Kit.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 6: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: Hey, Cowboy fans. I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 13: Prescott kitsch it slid for a first down.
Speaker 9: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect pro.
Speaker 2: My goodness, wow, did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 9: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 2: To the players loud, The Weekend is bringing the after Hour to Don's man, all right, we do. The Weekend is bringing the After Hour till Dawn Stadium Tour the Aten Stadium on August twenty seventh to twenty eight catch this all News show in support of the full album trilogy with Playboy Cardi special guest Mike Dean get your tickets today at seek geek dot com, the official ticketing parking nerd of the AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 6: I'm Mary Church in the house he drugs. This is our final segment of.
Speaker 2: Chill.
Speaker 4: He put pressure on training camp, all right, So.
Speaker 6: Anthony Dorse has smoked it out.
Speaker 7: By that bloodhound, no boy.
Speaker 6: I had one on one.
Speaker 5: Conversation off off, off to the side with Carrier Elam, who's was a former first round pick of the Buffalo Bills and then traded him his fifth year not picked up. He feels that he's got a new lease on life. He feels that the coaches are encouraging him. He just didn't think that the Buffalo situation fit him. But you got your thoughts here, and so I want to hear him Dorset.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a reach.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: I've followed Keer, I've followed some of his family that also played in the NFL and everything else like that, so I had some type of emotional connection to it the whole time. So I was just always interested in what he was doing then to see what was happening up in Buffalo. And I think that he was either beat out by a free agent or a third round draft pick something like that, and it just.
Speaker 4: Wasn't It just wasn't materializing up there.
Speaker 10: And for whatever reason you want to say, we all know in this room the first round draft picks are going to get more opportunities than anybody, and no team actually wants to look like they made a bus move in the draft pick, especially with the first round draft pick. But for them to let him go and now he's here in Dallas, his fifth year was not picked up, just like you said, So that shows you that the Cowboys still have some question about him too as well. All right, So for me, it's one of those type of things whereas I know that there, what was it, the Revel kid that we just took in the third out of Eastern Carolina. He's hurt right now, but the skills set that that kid brings, along with the other two guys that are already here.
Speaker 4: Blanding, Diggs. I mean, it's gonna be tough now.
Speaker 10: Right now, Cure has an opportunity because Digs gotta get healthy, Revel gotta get healthy, and so you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: But it's gonna be some tough It's gonna be some tough roads to hold for him to get through here too, it ain't gonna be easy, So I'm questioning.
Speaker 4: But like you said, you know, going into camp, you always need some bodies, you know what I mean? You always need some extra people.
Speaker 7: Hey man, he unloaded the chainberlone here.
Speaker 4: Players.
Speaker 7: It is the players.
Speaker 2: If for y'all that don't understand, I know y'all might be like, hey, why is d more over there laughing because I understand him speaking the professional talk.
Speaker 7: But if y'all didn't hear what he said.
Speaker 4: He said, Hey, you.
Speaker 2: Ain't live up to expectations. It's the reason why you hear It's the reason why this didn't happen for you. And with all this being said, this is his last shot because you have a lot of injuries. If there is a time for him to put up and prove that he is first round caliber, it would be now because of all the injuries that is driven here, and for that to have all those type of injuries coming off those major injuries and the Cowboys not to pick up your fifth round or fifth year option. They said, hey, we don't need no security mixture. You have to prove it exactly.
Speaker 4: That was a lot if y'all didn't catch that.
Speaker 2: And you know, everybody needs a new opportunity, you do, everybody needs a new opportunity. But go ahead, go ahead, no, no, But what I was.
Speaker 8: Saying is, and if I'm him, this is this is a place where where you want to be to kind of reprove yourself because this is an organization in years past that you know, for myself being undrafted, they'll give you that shot.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got guys that were first round or second round, third rounders in front of you. If you prove you can play out there, they're gonna give you a shot.
Speaker 8: So this is an opportunity for him to kind of, you know, put buffalo behind him, go out there and hopefully perform, you know, to the.
Speaker 4: Top of his abilities.
Speaker 8: But as you as you understand, like, well, first round picks you get, you get that leash, you get that long less you got to prove to the organization that you can't play ball exactly, And he's getting those opportunities and this may be his last one.
Speaker 4: So he's got to go out there with the injuries that they have out there and take advantage of the.
Speaker 2: Red fair enough to say, and you know, I'm just being a little messy. But because you know, y'all, y'all, y'all back there in that back end. But is it fair to say that this is the defensive version of Trey Lance potentially? I ain't gonna let you'll answer that. But what I am going to say to play Devil's advocate as much as he's had that least and stuff like that, with him being the first round draft pick, you do have that opportunity. Uh Sometime it is a change of scenery and just getting that new feel like you're in the media capital, like one of the largest media markets. You're playing for America's team. Guys are coming off injuries, and you know that pressure that you have to do. What you having the lineage of your family members playing in the league and you being a first round pick. This might be that redempture tour to where he can have that rebirth. So if those d Linemans do good to do is just sit there and be ready to catch.
Speaker 7: So we'll see.
Speaker 10: But one thing about it, being in this organization, on this team, all that attention is gonna come.
Speaker 4: It is pressure, bucket down, spotlight here. You can't avoid it. Here week what week? What I mean?
Speaker 5: And and it was an interesting thing too when I talked to him, like, you know, this schedule, got some receivers on here and looking past twenty twenty five, just just looking at the landscape of this.
Speaker 6: Bland's going to be a free agent, so Diggs in his contract.
Speaker 5: Depending on the way things go here with him, they could hit the exit button on that Uh you took you took ravel from East Carolina. So they're they're looking and hoping it. So the opportunity issues here, there could be something. It's a it's it's throwing a dart. Let's see what we've got. They've done it in several positions.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah for them this year.
Speaker 5: So Elob's got an opportunity, which is what he said, like, man, just give me a shot, give me a shot.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask you this before you try to go to break what you've seeing all the people that have been around, like THEU as we say, the Misfits, Rob Man Rob mary Nella used to always say, Hey, I love getting these cogs and showing that they can work in the machine. Do you think that he has turned that corner to where it's like, hey, he's really about to prove this, Like he's given me.
Speaker 7: He's showing nothing.
Speaker 6: Because because he has the pass breakups.
Speaker 5: Okay, and that was something he did in Buffalo, and he talked to you about hey, two years in a row, Man let the team in pass breakups to camp and and and and the O t A. So he's he's shown you he can he can do, but it didn't translate intractice.
Speaker 7: He's about to hit a.
Speaker 6: Game back and so and so this this is your version and what you believe.
Speaker 5: Okay, take it to camp and let's see seventeen game schedule with these kinds of receivers here, looking at some of the health issues and seeing how last.
Speaker 6: There's there there.
Speaker 5: This is still am where you don't know what you're gonna get right now, Let's see this is what training campus for. And that's one of the things areas I'll be looking at, which why I wanted to talk to him.
Speaker 14: Let's let's see what happens. You don't never get bias man, Come on, get by his show.
Speaker 6: Do you want him to win or not? You believe he gonna win or not.
Speaker 7: I want to put you in the book for something.
Speaker 4: That's why I got it.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that's the reason why you're good and what you do that you don't know way, So so let me let me tell you something.
Speaker 4: So we went to O. T. A's one day and it was granted, it was just O. T As. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: But when you're that new dude on the block and you're trying to establish yourself, there's gonna be a certain way that you're gonna approach your business. Even in the O. T. A. It's gonna be every day. It's gonna be day in and day out. And I ain't see it.
Speaker 2: And that's why I'm asking me because he's in there.
Speaker 7: But don't.
Speaker 6: Here's here's the thing. He's done it.
Speaker 4: He knows you've been.
Speaker 6: In the locker room, that was what.
Speaker 4: But I've been on the field. So I'm equating it to that, and I'm equating.
Speaker 10: It to being that new guy in the new atmosphere trying to establish yourself, you know what I'm saying, and the way that you're gonna go about your work and everything else like that, that new guy in the locker room and that new guy in the field, he ain't got that that that liberty to say unless he's an all pro like this man standing behind us on this picture on the deep ball, like I got that, like not breaking on balls a certain type of way, and just like no, no, no, you got to show me you got that.
Speaker 4: This can't just tell me this is great.
Speaker 6: This is why I love the show and just okay.
Speaker 2: But that's why I wanted him to be the angel ands tell us, because I knew from a player's respective where you were going to playing that up.
Speaker 7: I needed that was the bad. I needed him to have the good right there where he could say, see.
Speaker 5: I'm smart enough to understand he's played this. Let me listen to him. And so what I want to take it in from taking it in from you? And so that's what I'm gonna take the camp and go start to focus my eyes and say, okay, well I'm looking for That's where Dennis Thurman was around.
Speaker 6: I would always a tt what do you looking at?
Speaker 4: What you see?
Speaker 6: He could spot it, you know he spotted because he played he Coachton League.
Speaker 4: He could see it.
Speaker 6: And so that's what I want to know.
Speaker 5: Now I'm knowing exactly what do I need to look for when I'm at camp, when I'm watching Eli.
Speaker 4: Bro I'm a lifer with this you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: One of the things I talked to Shoddy about when I had a chance to meet him, was like, Bro, you got to look at it. I've been around this game since my dad. I was born the same day of it's basically his first college game. I grew up in these locker rooms. I've been watching football, and I got a view of football like a lot of people don't have, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So when I see it, you know what I mean, it's like that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Either you got it you don't got it, And there's places in there where you can say, oh, he gonna get it.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 10: But just as we're talking about you, you have to be able to come in and establish yourself. You don't want to come in from another team after you getting cut or traded I'm sorry as a first round draft pick and not come in and assume some type of leadership role. Let people know who you are and what you're about, you know what I'm saying. So that that is not just a verbal thing, that's an active thing. That's something I can see every rep. You know what I'm saying. I could pick up on. So, like I said, I was only there for one day, but I didn't. I didn't get that that day. Now I saw.
Speaker 6: George, Hey, George, I said, you can, you can.
Speaker 4: You can look at that.
Speaker 10: Man and tell it's something different about that kid when he catched that ball and then his reps.
Speaker 7: You can see it immediately.
Speaker 8: And for all our young listeners out there, man, you take that same mentality defensively, you know, I'm won't lock in it.
Speaker 6: Take it to special teams as.
Speaker 2: Well, because they don't realize that when you get on the football field, therell me certa number of players that can get on the defensive football field.
Speaker 4: If you want to make the.
Speaker 2: Team and you want to have an impact and you're not that guy, make the special teams coach your best friend.
Speaker 6: How you prolong your career.
Speaker 4: You start your career, real talk, real talk.
Speaker 10: So for me rookie year, I'm a special teams dude, right, And so as I began to do more on special teams, you know, ad, you got a package on defense boom.
Speaker 4: You know, little stuff here there. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, you don't recognize it, but like you you're showing, you're showing the team.
Speaker 10: You're showing player person that I don't know about player personnel, but you're showing everybody like, hey, look, hey, so I'm growing and I want some more, Like give me a chance, you know what I'm saying. So that what you said is the key, young boys, find your special teams.
Speaker 4: Coach.
Speaker 5: You come here, your best friend ourselves saying how many players can I get out of them.
Speaker 6: Special team? That's more plays and so okay, and if.
Speaker 5: We got them special as you said, now, okay, so we know he's we're putting him in on game day because you gotta be on special teams. Okay, what about a package here there, somebody goes down, be ready to go.
Speaker 4: It's more dependable that you.
Speaker 6: You you gotta get out of it.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: Or set more Church Scruggs, Chris being Josh. Everybody's been a part of it. We will talk to you in July on Brought to you by Christocrat Don't be Cowboys dot Com See next time.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubby