Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are You a Charlotte?
Speaker 3: Guess what, you guys?
Speaker 2: We are here for a very special holiday edition of Are You a Charlotte. We have our wonderful producer Easton with me and we're going to talk about all of my Christmas movies.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited about this. The best part of the season.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you for joining us. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: We were trying to think of something special to do for the holidays because, with the exception of the first movie of Sex and the City, we don't really have Christmas stuff. Yeah, which I guess we could do next year. Maybe maybe we'll do the movie for next year. I don't know, but right now, it's really fun that we're here and we can talk about my Christmas movies because I have a few.
Speaker 3: Isn't that funny?
Speaker 1: I really I did to think about it.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, I have so many, which is funny.
Speaker 2: And it is kind of like a cottage industry Christmas movies, which is fun because when you're home with the holidays and your family and you want to watch something together, it's nice that you know there are movies that are appropriate, right.
Speaker 1: It's the best part of the year. I think, Yes, I love having these movies as like a tradition, and I love the idea that, like they're you're part of so many people's holiday traditions. There are people that watch.
Speaker 2: These movies every year, which is amazing, amazing, and I love that on social media because usually the holidays are coming and I'm so busy getting ready and then all of a sudden someone will come on and.
Speaker 3: Say, like, I watched Holiday in the Wild listener whatever it is. I'm like, oh, right, Holiday in the Wild.
Speaker 2: So that let's start with Holiday in the Wild, which is my most recent Christmas movie. I made it for Netflix with the incredible Rob Loo, which is the second time Robin I've worked together. We did something called The Atomic Train, which was a two part mini series I guess I don't know what we called it at the time in the nineties, I want to say late nineties. It was really fun, and then I convinced him to go trapes around African countries in very places with me to do this elephant movie slash Christmas themed movie, Holiday in the Wild, which was very much taken from my experience of going to Kenya, though in the film where in South Africa predominantly, and also Zambia a little bit. But it was about how it's basically my story with some embellishments, I guess, but it's that I had been on Safari in two thousand and one in Kenya and fallen in love with all of the animals and the people in the country and the land and everything. And then I was back there in two thousand and nine and my friend and I found an abandoned baby elephant, and baby elephant alone without her mother or family I know, and we found her, my friends and I, and we were able to take her to the Sheldrik Trust, which is an incredible.
Speaker 3: Place in Kenya.
Speaker 2: They have raised and rehabilitated and put back into the wild over I think three hundred and eighty elephants now and they're all having wild born babies. And I had been involved with them since two thousand and nine and I love them very much, and so we basically took that as the jumping off place for the story of Holiday in the Wild. There's a love story that I personally did not experience a love story part. But the love story is that Rob is my pilot, which he just loves so much being being a pilot of a tiny super cup and the outback.
Speaker 3: You know, he was very into that part of his role.
Speaker 2: And it was really fun because it was very much you know, Netflix says that they're committed to being a global company, and it really it really was that. Like we were in South Africa. They had an incredible production. We were in Zambia. You know, everything was just beautifully done. There was so much care taken in terms of you know, the culture. It was translated into all the languages, Wahili, all the different languages, and you know, I really I really appreciate that they were able to fund my my beautiful you know vision of a of a movie about elephant conservation.
Speaker 1: I watched this last night with my wife.
Speaker 3: Amazing loved it, absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: And something that I love about this that it sets it apart from other like holiday movies like this is that I'm watching it, I'm like, Okay, she's gonna fall in love with Rob Loow and that's no, that doesn't really happen until much Sorry everybody, if you haven't seen in the mild spoiler, it doesn't. What keeps you there is love of the elephants and of the people and of the of the land and the culture and everything. And I thought that was really beautiful. And the romance is kind of like, I don't want to say, an afterthought, but like it happens much later, right, And what an inspiring movie. I told you just before we started. But like we were pausing the movie and like looking up how to like adopt an elephant from.
Speaker 2: Them, and you can anyone can adopt an element elephant on the Sheldrick Trust website is I think it's Sheldrick Trust dot org and it's fifty dollars a year. I give it to all the kids in my life every year. And the thing that's great about it is they send you monthly updates of how your elephant is doing. They let you choose your elephant, so you can choose a little baby that's in the nursery in Nairobi, or you can choose like, for instance, my elephant that I found, Chaimu, is living in the wild now in the national park called Tsavo. You can still help help support Chaimu because they still come to visit, like if they have a baby, they bring the baby to meet the keepers. It's like so magical and unbelievable and just they're so brilliantly done. And the sheldrics also have at this point, I think it's ten anti poaching units. We have vet units that are there to treat any wild animal, elephant, zebra, giraffe. You know, they're just supporting all of the wild animals and allowing them to live safely in the wild and protecting them, which is amazing, incredible.
Speaker 1: And this is all, you know, part of a holiday movie. Yeah, I know, we have a lot of movies to get to, but I just wanted there's a couple of things that jumped out at me.
Speaker 3: Tell me.
Speaker 1: First of all, your looks were amazing. There's a left there's a levee print dress you wear.
Speaker 2: That's still Chase absolutely, thank you so much. Okay, oh I had to take the clothes with me.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that. Near the beginning of the movie, there's a part where you say and just like that, it's an emptinss no, you guys excited.
Speaker 3: That's insane. I didn't remember that.
Speaker 1: That was very fun.
Speaker 2: Isn't it weird how often people in general say and just like that, Yeah, there was a headline the other day about the drama of Warner Brothers that said, and just like that Netflix bies Warner Brothers.
Speaker 3: I sent it to Sarah and Cynthia. I was like, can you believe this?
Speaker 1: It's it's permeated culture. And then a major question I have again, I'm sorry for spoiling holiday in the while. This isn't a major thing, but like at one point, there's a painting painted a view with elephants. Yeah, where's that? Did you get to keep? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did not want to keep that painting.
Speaker 2: No offense to whoever made that prop but I didn't love that painting.
Speaker 3: Did you like that painting?
Speaker 1: It was an interesting interpretation of what you look like?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: I had to look so moved.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say how I come to have the painting in the movie, because that is towards the end. I was supposed to look so moved and I had to stare at the actual painting. That took some acting, you guys. Okay, that's all I want to say. Sorry to anyone I might be offending who made that painting in South Africa for us, But I didn't love it.
Speaker 3: I didn't love it. I did not keep it.
Speaker 2: I think they tried to give it to me, and I was like, that's okay, Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 2: So that's on Netflix, and I think you can watch it. It's called Holiday in the Wild. I think if you just search it. I think it's easily watchable. Pretty much every year I post about it, and it's so nice to hear people loving it and wanting to see it.
Speaker 3: And I love it so much.
Speaker 1: It's a great movie.
Speaker 3: I really loved it. Thank you.
Speaker 1: But you've done some other other holidays, so many.
Speaker 3: So many.
Speaker 2: I think the one is the one before that, Shirley maclan.
Speaker 1: That's the one Christmas from twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Christmas twenty sixteen, right, and the fantastic Eric McCormack is my love interest in that one. I mean, I get some good guys in these Christmas movies.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, you really walked out.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I was thinking the other day I should try to do another Christmas movie in my future, because it's been pretty good for me. In this one, Shirley McClain is a ghost and my character dies. I slip on the ice. Yes, I'm a career woman. This is a theme it's gonna come back. It's interesting. I don't know why I'm drawn to these things what I am so I slip on the ice. I'm a super career woman. I don't have a relationship or anything. I think that's what I remember. And I'm walking in my career suits and I slip on the ice and hit my head and I die. Theoretically I die, I guess, or I partially die or whatever. I go to heaven and I see Shirley McLain and I have a cat in heaven.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I have a cat in heaven, but I have a cat that I remember.
Speaker 2: I remember this day really well. Filming with Shirley and a cat. It was a lot to handle. I had to hold the cat. Cats don't always do what you want, even though they're trained.
Speaker 3: This was a very.
Speaker 2: Wonderful cat, though, and we did great together. And I remember Shirley was like skeptical that the cat was going to do what the cat was supposed to do. And of course you're really just so odd that you're actually just acting with Shirley McLain that it's like hard to even focus, you know. And she was incredible and fascinating We spent many weeks together in Vancouver, and she was just a joy so much.
Speaker 3: We flew together.
Speaker 2: You know, she was older at this point, but like such a trooper. They got her up on this fire escape at one point in this movie, and I was so nervous. I was like, you guys, please get Shirley down off the fire's cape. And we were on the beach at one point and the storm was coming and the wind is just blowing, and she's basically she's trying to say to me, my character that I haven't, you know, paid attention to the important things in life, like love. And then Eric's character is back on Earth, and oh, it's possible that I get a chance to go back to Earth, and if I don't go blow it, I get to stay on Earth. I think, though I'm not sure because it's very similar to another Christmas movie.
Speaker 3: I did that we will get to in a second.
Speaker 2: They're very similar, and I just love those type stories. I'm one of those people where if I'm looking at Instagram, I don't know if you guys get this on Instagram, but I have this a a page I guess where people who died briefly talk about their experience.
Speaker 3: Do you get this?
Speaker 1: I have not seen it.
Speaker 3: No, have you gotten this? Hebby, Okay, it exists. It's really good.
Speaker 2: And they talk about what their experience was when they died, and it's fascinating, fascinating. I'm just very fascinated by this. So I do believe that there is some kind of an afterlife. I don't think that it's necessarily textbook Christianity, but I do believe that there is an afterlife. And I think it's super interesting to think about briefly passing over to the other side and then coming back.
Speaker 3: I think it's very interesting. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So sometimes they offer me movies about this, and I almost always say yes. So in that movie, Sherley McClain is my guide.
Speaker 3: Which is incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she was amazing and I asked her a lot of questions and she was just funny and a little bit intense and you know, really fascinating in always and I was really lucky to get to work with her. And Eric was also incredible. And Eric was like I had known Eric a long time. I had been on Will and Grace, but I did not know Eric as a leading man, and he was like, wow, surprising.
Speaker 1: Season seven, episode seven. If you want to go back and rewatch that episode of Will and Grace you guys did together.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, thank you so much to.
Speaker 1: Nadine from two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: And you know who is on that episode who plays Evince is Bobby Kennavalle, who plays Funky Spunk.
Speaker 3: It's a full circle moment, you guys.
Speaker 2: So Bobby plays in Will and Grace Will's boyfriend, and then I play his best friend in life, so I'm like his grace.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it was very trippy. It was very very trippy, but really really fun. And Eric I just had only known him, you know, we'd been at all the award shows and everything is we were kind of the same era of you know, sitcoms or whatever you would call it comedy. But he it was very different to play opposite him. And we have this very long romantic scene where we dance and kiss and stuff. Oh my gosh, oh my goodness, me. It was quite something. Anyway.
Speaker 1: That was a tenth of the nineteen original films from Hallmarks twenty sixteen count down to Christmas.
Speaker 3: It was a situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a big deal over there, and they have many huge billboards and you promote a lot, and I mean, you know, I love I love that they make so many movies over there at Hallmark.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they still are. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean the demand is there. Yeah yeah. And now they're in competition with Lifetime exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh, everybody's doing it now and Netflix, Netflix is like doing a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Deck the hall, oh, deck the hall.
Speaker 2: Okay. So in this movie, I played Matthew Broderick's wife. You guys crazy, it's crazy. I remember calling Sara Jessica and asking her if she it was okay. She was like, of course, she thought it was so silly. But we go up there to Vancouver. It was the summer. Usually film Christmas movies in the summer. It was one hundred degrees in Vancouver. Wow. And we were supposed to be in a snowy Christmas setting. The snow, the fake snow kept melting. We were sweating. Matthew's my husband, Danny DeVito is his friend and our neighbor. And Kristin Chenna with plays his wife. And we're up there for a while, and Alia Sokhat plays my daughter, which is bizarre, okay, because she's prolific and brilliant, but she was so young then and I just I just love watching her now because I'm like, that's my little baby grown up.
Speaker 3: It was really fun.
Speaker 2: It was a really weird thing because at one point Matthew and I do kiss and so falling fake snow, and I was just like, this is very weird, and he was like.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: I was like, guys, guys are so weird. It's like, it is weird to lock lips with your friend's husband, even.
Speaker 3: If it's brief.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's strange, but it was fun. It was fun, and it's very family friendly there. It's not in any way questionable.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: At one point you said that that kissing scene was too steamy A for a PG rating, did I Yes, Wow, the scene as film just too steamy. It would have had to been cut from the Oh.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I believe it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I realized at the time, because I was still kind of I think this was right after we finished Sex in the City, or maybe before the movies, even like in between the show and the movies, and I remember I was just more in the Sex and the City type mode, and I just think we didn't really realize the chasteness that we were supposed to be. You know, it was like a Chase married kiss you. You know, they had to kind of edit it, which was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well that's at Deck the Halls from two thousand and six, and that was released theatrically. Uh And I want to tell people where they can watch these if they're streaming it. Where can you watch Deck the Halls on Hulu? It's on AMC Plus.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's on UH And it's on Netflix too, wow. Wow, your one stop shop for I.
Speaker 2: Never get any of these residuals. I might want to add, never seen any residuals some Deck the Halls. That's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well for a couple of pennies, come in my way. And then a movie called Three Days.
Speaker 2: Yes, Three Days is the one that I get a lot of people ask me about because it's kind of hard to find. I looked it up and I found it on Amazon Prime. But it says very interestingly that it's from the Wondery, which I've.
Speaker 3: Never heard of. And when I made it, I believe we made it.
Speaker 2: For ABC Family, which used to be a cable station.
Speaker 3: Yes right, yes, but things.
Speaker 2: Have been bought and sold and bought and sold, as we know, and so who knows. But now it's it's it's on Amazon Prime for everyone who asks me on Instagram. But it's under the wondering and I don't know what that means, but it's interesting. Three days, I think, possibly I also die, you do, Yeah, I think I die, right, But it's about my husband not having been present, and a good husband, I think to me. So he gets three days to try to do better or I am actually going to die. I might die, and then I might really die, like maybe I'm in the hospital.
Speaker 3: I think I might be in the hospital, like in a coma. Am I in a koma?
Speaker 1: Says you're tragically killed?
Speaker 3: I killed?
Speaker 1: I remember?
Speaker 3: I remember?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this this is what I remember about this. First of all, I'm just gonna get out of the way. I am dating the actor who's in it with me. His name is Red Diamond. We discussed him with Danny Futterman.
Speaker 3: That's read.
Speaker 2: He very good actor. We went to Nova Scotia to do this film in February. It was between seasons of Sex and the City. I had to fly down from Nova Scotia to New York for our first read through of the season on my one day off and fly back right like it was craziness. And it was forty below in Nova Scotia in February and there was like eight feet of snow, like it was so intense, and we had to pretend that we were in Boston, I believe. So we're wearing little leather jackets and the crew is wearing like huge snowsuits where you can only see their eyes right like they're and they're heated, they're electric heated whatever. And we're in little jeans and like a little jacket. Oh man, it was cold, but it was beautiful. And Nova Scotia is a trip trip and a half to film in very different It's trippy, trippy, trippy, but fun and interesting. And we were out there in the cold and the scene I think I get hit by a car is coming back to me because I'm holding a dog and it was the middle of the night and it was forty below and I was so worried about that dog because I had to drop the dog on the asphalt and I didn't want to freeze its feet to freeze, right. So we got this special tent, this heated little igloo tent and like I would drop the dog and then I would have to grab it, and then I would like save it, you know, like put it into the tent for the dog handler who was in the tent. Like the dog got special special care because I was like, we are not going to hurt this dog in this weather.
Speaker 3: It was a sweet dog too. But yeah, I guess I'm killed. But I don't know. I don't remember the plot enough to know how he fixes it.
Speaker 1: The tragic three days for Christmas and Angel gives Andrew the chance to relive the last three days his wife was alive. Oh but he can't change fate, and Beth wills Beth Kristin will still lose her life. Oh no, However, Andrew can still discover the gift Beth needs most from him. Oh watch and find it so sweeteet.
Speaker 3: Oh so I do die, I do die?
Speaker 2: Oh no, this is my specialty Christmas movies where I die.
Speaker 1: The ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future.
Speaker 3: I know, it's really interesting.
Speaker 2: I didn't really realize until I started trying to think about this for today that I had two movies involving death and Christmas and trying to do it better in a short period of time somehow, you know, like trying to redo things or fix things.
Speaker 3: I love that stuff.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting and I think it's it's more I don't want to say, more compelling, but like it's better, I think than being stuck in the like uh oh, big city girl goes back home.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those are really popular, and look I do it's not that far from them because like in the Shirley McLain one, I am like a career girl who hasn't paid attention to relationships, right, So like the Eric McCormack characters like kind of in front of me, but I haven't really taken.
Speaker 3: The time, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So it is still like that, but it just involves death also, and I think in the Three Days, I think maybe he's two career yes, you know, which is a pretty big theme.
Speaker 1: Your death exists to help him realize the true spirit of Christmas, which.
Speaker 3: Is right interesting.
Speaker 1: Women exist to help men find you know, the truth and everything.
Speaker 2: But listen, I said yes to that, so I think I thought it was a pretty good role. Like there's something that made me say yes. So I don't I don't feel like it's all.
Speaker 1: About him okay, good, Well, I can't wait to watch this and that's on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: That's on Amazon Prime, so I have kind of you can. It's a shmortgage port of streaming opportunities, right, yes, yes, thank you so much for talking with me about it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for watching, Thanks for being such a big part of our holiday season.
Speaker 2: All right, you guys, I hope you're having phone out there and not stressing about the holidays. Try to enjoy them, don't stress out. That's what I tell myself.
Speaker 3: And we'll be back. Yeah, thanks for joining us.