Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is Trumpnomics, the podcast that looks at the economic world of Donald Trump, how he's already shaking up the global economy and what on earth is going to happen next. This week, we have NATO leaders, donald Trump among them, gathering in Turkey for what could be one of the alliance's more consequential summits. I'm recording on Tuesday morning, US time, and President Donald Trump has already arrived in Anchoror. He's expected to meet with the Turkish president there and other leaders. And the focus of these meetings recently, particularly under President Trump, has tended to be money. The constant and reasonable refriras from the US being that Europe needs to spend more on confronting the risks at their borders and shouldn't continue to rely only on the security blanket of the US. But it's not just NATO. Defense spending is ramping up all over the world in a new global arms race that could look and feel very different from the last one. For the first time that's the Cold War. Many countries are aiming to acquire nuclear weapons, or at least look like they might want to, and the guardrails previously constraining that proliferation have more or less fallen away. We're also seeing very dramatically how drones and AI have transformed the battlefield in Ukraine and Iran, and that has countries trying to beat their rivals to the next generation of hypersonic weapons and other things. So all of this, I think could raise big questions not just about the conduct of future wars, but also given the amounts involved shape parts of our economy. So what are the key features of this new arms race and what's it going to mean for the global economy of governments one after the other make military tech one of their biggest investment priorities. Becker Wasser is the Defense lead for Bloomberg Economics. Previously, she led studies and wargames for the US Department of Defense at the Center for a New American Security and that the RAND Corporation. Becker has also been a staff member on a congressionally appointed Committee on the National Defense Strategy. Becker, welcome back to Trumpennomics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: And Jerry Doyle is Global Defense editor on the news side for Bloomberg News. Jerry, thanks for coming, Thanks for having me. Jerry, just tell us what are people buying or what are government's buying and why is so much of it happening right now.
Speaker 3: Well, so much of this investment in defense technology kind of started with the Russian invasion of Ukraine. That's sort of urgency to the whole situation, not just in Europe but globally, as countries started to quickly realize that they might have underinvested since the end of the Cold War. So that led a lot of country to start buying a lot of the traditional things that you expect to see on a battlefield, the tanks, the planes, missiles, artillery with a huge priority. And now we've sort of move past that and started to look at what is going to be the technology that's going to dominate the future battlefield for decades. During the Cold War, you saw that manifest itself. That arms race manifests itself in terms of nuclear weapons, not just the total stockpile sizes, but you know, strange novel waves of delivering them, different effects that you can create with with nuclear weapons. And this current arms race that we're seeing right now is not about that it's not about, you know, being able to deliver megatons with the death onto a city. It's sort of more subtle. It's trying to find ways to give yourself an advantage in the future, doing things like investment drones for different types of things, for defense, for offense, for surveillance, the militarization of space, trying to figure out ways to protect your satellites in orbit, trying to find ways to give your military an advantage with the things that you place in orbit. And then hypersonic weapons, which are sort of a more traditional means of destruction but with a novel twist of being able to maneuverate extremely high feeds, avoid air defenses and so on. And we've seen that, and we've seen the drones sort of in practice happening on battlefield right now, and it's about trying to figure out a way to find that, trying to figure out ways to improve and apply these things on a large scale.
Speaker 1: I think Jerry rays is something that's really interesting, and it's using all of these technologies to gain an advantage. But what does that look like? And I think here there's a few things. There's the decision advantage. Who can make decisions faster and therefore gain the initiative, and that's where things like AI enabled technologies come in. But you also have this idea of mass, who can put more on the battlefield at any given time to overwhelm defenses, to overwhelm your adversary, and that's where you see things like low cost drones and lower cost missiles come in. And then I think the last area of advantage is this idea of cost. Who can do that cheapest? And that's where some of these more traditional weapons systems, these higher end missiles, hypersonics space, that's all very expensive. And that's why you see a lot of governments and a lot of militaries going all in on AI and all in on drones because they think that it can get them the best effect for the cheapest bang on the buck. But just on their own, drones aren't going to be the solution to all problems, and I think sometimes we do see a lot of militaries, particularly those that either have manpower constraint like Ukraine, or those who have fiscal constraints like arguably some countries in Europe, going all in on drones to try and make up for those sharkfalls.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely true that you know, drones are a useful tool, right, but they don't really fully replace a lot of the high end weapons. You talk about destroying a tank with these tiny first person view drones that you see in Ukraine, what we see in the social media is the drone hitting the tank and the tank blowing up. We don't see like the previous twelve to fifteen first person drones that hit the tank and did nothing or disabled it, or the fact that the tank had already run over a mine and was stationary. Right, So the effects that we get from these cheap weapons aren't necessarily replacing what's there. They become an additional tool on top of what already exists.
Speaker 2: We'll get into some of the sort of numbers involved in a minute. And also I think the way it could shape economies. But as someone who's not as fully absorbing this stuff the way you both are every day, there seem to be there's sort of two things that we get told, and it feels like they can't both be true. On the one hand, at least in the early stages of the Ukraine War and people learning about drones and drones becoming a much bigger element of all of these battlefields. We got the sense that it was going to be cheap, and as Becky you say, you know, you think of it as going to be good, high bang for your buck. But there's also this sense of the sheer amount of technology involved in getting the most out of them and also developing all these other kinds of arms suggests that, you know, none of this is getting cheaper, and if anything, it's still giving a massive advantage to the countries that have the deepest pockets. There seem to be different strands. It's kind of on the one hand, you talk about it in some of your stuff about being a leveling technology AI and some of the other modern technology in innovation, you can have a country that's much smaller Ukraine's a classolic example, kind of punch above its weight. But on the other hand, it does seem that scale is still incredibly important for being able to move ahead with these cussing head technologies.
Speaker 3: And I think it's fair to say that a country with deeper pockets like a China or the United States would be able to do more with that. They would be able to put more resources into production, be able to put more resources into research and development, and so on. But the effect that they're able to get in terms of magnifying the power of their own military is going to be diminished because they have all these other capabilities that kind of do the same thing or do it better. And so what drones and some of these other technologies you mentioned AI is another good example. What they do is enable somebody who can't afford the high end, maybe who can't afford a bunch of six generation fighters, who doesn't have massive constellations of satellites overhead, who doesn't have cruise missiles that can fly thousands of miles, they're going to be able to get something like eighty percent of the combat effectiveness, being able to do eighty percent of the thing for a lot less money. And if you are a resource constrained country or military, that's a good trade off.
Speaker 2: We should sort of get a sense of some of the numbers involved when I talk about how those countries are ramping up spending around the world, I mean, what kind of numbers are we talking about for the increase in defense spending.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to look at just the US system alone, the US defense budget requests this year is one point five trillion dollars. That's just for this year, and that amounts to roughly three point four percent of GDP spent on defense for the US. That's actually sizeably lower than what it had been spending in the Cold War, where it had a much higher percentage as a shriff GDP.
Speaker 2: A lot higher than it was a few years ago exactly.
Speaker 1: And I mean, I think again, if we want to pull it back to the NATO summit, we're defense spending is very much going to be the topic of conversation. You do see the ramp up in Europe to move toward that of three point five percent of GDP to be spent on core defense spending by twenty thirty five and twenty thirty some of the work that we've done at Bloomberg Economics show that, you know, the top countries in Europe are likely to undershoot that target and that it's going to be a very slow ramp up to get to three point five percent of GDP, and that's also going to come at a really high amount of taking on debt.
Speaker 2: Jerry, I think the figure that we had for the sort of global piece of this, at least in some aspects, was two trillion dollars across three continents, which is not far off the sort of some of the numbers we used to in relative terms for the Cold War nuclear build ups. One thing we know from that research that Becka mentioned is that the any kind of economic dividend, you know, government's like to talk about, well, and we're spending more and it's going to produce jobs and manufacturing, and it all sounds great if you can get past the military spending part, but when you actually look at the how much economic impact there is, it's probably less than other kinds of infrastructure spending. And in Europe particularly, it's going to depend a lot on whether they can grow the domestic defense sector because otherwise they're going to just be bringing in a lot of imports from the US. So how are they looking on that?
Speaker 3: Individually? European countries are not integrate position like. Many of them have a defense champion of various size, but usually there's a focus on one thing. They make avion X, or they make ships, or they make air defense system, they make tanks, arty shells, engines, something like that. Rarely in a case sort of like Germany or France, where you have even bigger companies or an assortment of companies that can do a lot of these things at a high level and sort of enable them to have a very well developed defense industry. But in order for Europe to really compete in this global arms rates that we're talking about, there has to be collective actions. There have to be coordination about who's building what. There has to be coordination on spending, There has to be coordination on what the priorities are, which right now we see as being again satellites, space based military infrastructure. We see air defense as being another big one, and then there's sort of more boring but high impact stuff like transport aircraft, like strategic airlift we call it, being able to move tanks and people all around the continent pretty easily. That's something that Europe doesn't have a lot of, and it kind of relies on the US for on NATO tanker aircraft that refuel other planes in flight and extending their range. That's another thing they lean heavily on the US for and airborne warning and control, which is something that the US again has a lot of and historically has been sort of generous about sharing with NATO partnerships, but that Europe is very interested in doing for themselves right now, and we saw that announced with the GLOBALI aircraft. They're going to buy ten of those for NATO to be airborne wanting control plane that are going to replace the older American made planes. So they're moving in that direction and it's important for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: Right now Europe in terms of defense spending, in terms of translating that into genuine capabilities and who's producing those capabilities. It's incredibly fragmented, and you have a fragmented defense industrial base across Europe, and eventually there's going to need to be this requirement to pick winners and losers, but that is politically unpalatable right now because of the economics, because every single country wants to see that increase in defense spend go back to their own economy, go back to their local economies, and be able to have a conversation that's no longer sort of this like guns versus butter debate.
Speaker 2: But to be fair, that's always been an element of the US debate as well when it comes to states. Everybody wants their own piece, and that has also meant that often defense spending in the US was incredibly an.
Speaker 1: Efficient, incredibly and very much concentrated in certain pockets where you had certain members of Congress who have continually fought for specific systems to not be cut when perhaps maybe it was time for them to retire because of the benefits that they brought to their district or their state.
Speaker 2: Jerry had sort of started off talking to us about the sort of tech piece of this and how that was driving some of these investments. And if we sort of combine that with the discussion we've just had, I mean, it does suggest that if governments are going to be investing more in research and development in the military space and needing to be much more connected to the companies that are developing these new technologies, that feels like even the future of AI itself, well, certainly whole areas of technology could be shaped by the fact that we're in a time of globally increasing defense spending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. And you know, if you look at a country like China, where there's this intense interweaving of the public and the private sector and you know, the universities and the government.
Speaker 2: You talk about the civil military fusion.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly where you know, in some sense that gives China an advantage because any any breakthrough that happens, whether it's at a private company or a research university, or you know in some you know, random lap in the hinterlands, it will end up in the hands of the Chinese government, or they will at least have the opportunity to evaluate it and decide whether that's going to be you know, militarily applicable or not. That also translates into traditional defense buildouts as well. You know, the Chinese government decides that they need more aircraft, there's not really a fight over you know, whose congressional district they get built in or anything like that. You know, sort of the machine starts up, and then you compare and contrast that to the way Europe is set up, whereas Beca said, there's always going to be friction about, you know, who's going to be the winner, who's going to be the loser. We saw that, you know, f cast program, which was supposed to you know, have the two largest aircraft companies in Europe, like the so and Airbus are going to combine forces and make the sixth generation plane. We saw that fall apart because the two companies couldn't get along, and that's not something really that happens in China, so to that extent they might have an advantage and the way they moved this sort of innovation.
Speaker 2: Forward, Becca, I'm sort of HARKing back on this point about the closer connection between the government and the tech sector. I mean, I guess we saw that most recently with that between Anthropic and the Pentagon. A lot of people would be concerned that the biggest tech firms who are right at the forefront of this and the biggest amounts of money are going into the military applications of AI rather than other things. Is that I mean, should we be worried that that's just going to shape the future of AI?
Speaker 1: I mean we should be worried about, you know, how AI is going to be integrated into the military. More broadly, there are some very benign applications. One of the ones that I've heard the most from the US military is trying to use AI to speed up essentially, it's modeling for how it gets logistics from one place to another. Right, that's to me, that's a benign way, Like, Okay, let's speed up processes. Let's speed up things that take tons of hours of people just you know, hand jamming things into a spreadsheet like it's nineteen ninety nine instead, you know, trying to think about the ways in which you can have good use cases, but you could also equally have some negative use cases. And traditionally the Pentagon has put some guardrails. Some of those guardrails have actually been relaxed by the Trump administration. So now we've seen in places on the battlefield, specifically in the Iran War, where there's been heavy use of AI tools, particularly Pallinteers madeven smart system to try and speed up some of the targeting processes to get that decision making advantage that so many militaries want. You know, that puts the US and frankly other militaries on a potentially tricky slope. That's not to say that there are not guardrails against using AI for some of the most dangerous things. I think there's a lot of pushback, and rightfully so, on the integration of AI into nuclear command and control. So essentially, whether AI can help make decisions about the use or non use of nuclear weapons, to me, that should be very much a human decision making process.
Speaker 2: Jerry I started mentioning about the nuclear piece of countries might have concluded from the way the world has gone recently that actually they have an interest in acquiring nuclear weapons. Supposedly, we only have nine nuclear powers currently in the world. But are we actually seeing countries developing an increase in the number of countries wanting to develop and is there a potential and rather frightening overlap with our previous conversation about AI.
Speaker 3: In the defense world, there's always the possibility of frightening overlap. It's frightening overlap all the way down. But looking at nuclear weapons specifically, as far as we know, nobody who doesn't currently have nuclear weapons has actively spun up a program to create them. What we have seen is expression of interest from European countries about getting more deeply involved with existing nuclear programs. Specifically, Francis macrong has spoken, you know, sort of in very plain terms about France wanting to expand it's arsenal, wanting to offer a nuclear umbrella to the rest of Europe to sort of replace what he sees, as you know, the US pulling back from its commitments there. We also see in Asia sort of open conversations in Japan and South Korea about acquiring nuclear weapons that work hasn't started yet as far as we've known, and there hasn't been any official government decision to move that forward. But the fact that those conversations are happening in the open says it is real right that desire, that fear is there. Nobody wants to get left behind. And when you see what's happened in places like Ukraine and Iran, the easiest equation to apply to that is, well, you know, if those countries had had nuclear weapons, like North Korea, this wouldn't have happened. That's exactly right. And as Becka said, further, applying developing technologies to nuclear arsenal things like artificial intelligence, that is a concern and it's something to be worried about. I think at this point everybody who has nuclear weapons is extremely aware of the problems that they could come from linking artificial intelligence to nuclear stockpiles. When I was in Singapore for the Shngrol dialogues, there's a higher ranking generals in both the People's Liberation Army China and Pakisthan military sort of spoke openly about this that their fear of AI was not that it would sort of you know, take over in sort of an actual artificial intelligence way, but that tools using AI would speed up decision making processes to the point where people would sort of was the cool Essentially, you know, they would think, you know, instead of having twenty minutes to respond to a nuclear attack or ten minutes or something, everything would move so fast with you know, recommendation for responses and things like that, that somebody would make a rast decision and things would get worse instead of better. So those are the kind of guardrails I think that broadly countries are looking to apply to that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And of course we did have examples in the Cold War of that, you know, whether the machine or is telling an individual pilot or whatever this is this is a nuclear attack, and at least there were minutes there as opposed to seconds for them to think is this realistic?
Speaker 3: And it reglied on humans ultimately to make the decision about what to do next.
Speaker 2: In the past, defense departments have been very good at talking a good game about fantastic new technologies that were coming down the track. We had Star Wars, now we've had I mean, Becker has done some very elaborate costing that where the numbers get very large for the so called Golden Dome that Donald Trump has talked about for the whole of the US, and an awful loss of that money has been wasted. They talked a good game but didn't really pan out. Is an awful lot of this money just going to be wasted?
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, It's hard to say how much, though, because sometimes technology pans out. Sometimes you set out to go to the moon and you do it. But other times, you know, you set out to build orbital nuclear defenses and it just doesn't work. You spend you know, hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars on it, and nothing gets in orbit and nothing works, and then you give up and walk away, and then you try again thirty years later, which is what we're doing around right now. Of course, that remains to be seen whether Golden Dome is going to be what it is being pitched as being, or whether any of the technology being developed for it will become real and.
Speaker 2: More useful for the rest of the economy. Because that's the other thing that has always said, is the technological spill overs.
Speaker 3: That's true. I mean, a lot of this stuff is fairly narrowly focused. It's hard to see, you know what an application for you know, a high energy laser would be you know, in my backyard, as much as I'd love to have one, you know, a space based.
Speaker 2: Because there's loads of money at not very many jobs and not very many civilian applications.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean exactly exactly, So you know, it remains to be seen. I think some of that will will become real and weaponized, and some of it will find its way into the arsenals of the US and China and Europe and other countries, and some of it will end up having civilian applications, but some large percentage of it, less than half, I would say, will just be on dead ends. And that's just kind of the nature of the game when it comes to developing defend technology.
Speaker 2: I guess in the end, if we never found out whether it worked or not, might even be a good outcome for humanity.
Speaker 3: I'd sign up for that, all right.
Speaker 2: So I guess I don't know if it's positive or not that we've concluded that it's not very good for the economy and may not work, but at least it costs a lot of money.
Speaker 3: When you put it that way, it doesn't sound great it.
Speaker 1: But do you want to know it also is expensive, or war is expensive, and ultimately, so much of these weapons is not just about this idea of prosecuting war. It's to actually deter war from happening in the first place. And so yes, there's almost this perverse incentive where you do see high defense budgets. You see a lot of money being wasted on, say a missile technology that doesn't work, only to be used later on in another application that does work. But ultimately all of this is trying to make it so that countries feel safe and protected, can deter aggression from happening, so we don't find ourselves in catastrophic war that can cost trillions and trillions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just on top of that, then if you look at the Cold War as an example, the absolute mind boggling number of nuclear weapons there were, and delivery systems and all just the crazy stuff that they came up with to conduct nuclear war. In the end, all of that sort of the purpose if you sort of buy into the theory behind it of making sure it never happened. And I guess some of the proof in the putting there is that as soon as the Cold War ended, a lot of those stack Biles just disappeared.
Speaker 2: Well, it strikes me we also felt secure for a lot less money when there was confidence in collective security arrangements like NATO, but that is another matter. Becka and Jerry thank you so much, Ques, thanks for listening to Trumpnomics from Bloomberg. It was hosted by me, Stephanie Flanders, and I was joined by Becca Wasser, Defense lead for Bloomberg Economics and Jerry Doyle, Global Defense Editor for Bloomberg News. Trumponomics was produced by Moss and Dam and Sammasadi with help from Amy Keane and sound designed by Blake Maples and Kelly Gary to help others find Trumpanomics, rate and review it highly Wherever you listen